- Agenesis of the posterior arch of the atlas
Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, University of Campinas, Brazil
Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 57:73-6. 2002
To illustrate the radiological findings and review the current literature concerning a rare congenital abnormality of the posterior arch of the atlas.
- Gross morphology of the bridges over the vertebral artery groove on the atlas
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Aristotle University of Salonica, Salonica, Greece
Surg Radiol Anat 27:129-36. 2005
The bony bridges of the atlas over the "groove of the vertebral artery" are commonly seen in plain radiographs of the cervical spine, and it is a subject of controversy whether they cause compression of the underneath lying vertebral ..
- Occipitalization of the atlas in children. Morphologic classification, associations, and clinical relevance
Purushottam A Gholve
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 2nd Floor, Wood Building, 34th Street and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:571-8. 2007
Occipitalization is defined as a congenital fusion of the atlas to the base of the occiput...
- Coincidental deficiency of the posterior arch of the atlas and thalassaemia minor: possible pitfalls in a trauma victim
M H Schrödel
KH Munich Harlaching, Sanatoriumsplatz 2, Munich, 81545, Germany
Emerg Med J 22:526-8. 2005
..Deficiency of the posterior arch of the atlas and coincidental thalassaemia minor are even more unusual...
- Why Atlas, why not Heracles: reflections on the rheumatoid cervical spine
Rheumatism Foundation Hospital, Heinola, Finland
Semin Arthritis Rheum 34:637-41. 2005
..A central role in these disorders is played by a small-size, heavy-duty fitting piece or adapter, atlas, between the occiput and C2...
- Painful osteolytic metastasis of the atlas: treatment with percutaneous vertebroplasty
Stephan G Wetzel
Department of Radiology at the University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E493-5. 2002
- Posterior arch defects of the atlas: significance in trauma and literature review
Southend Hospital, Prittlewell Chase, Westcliff on Sea, Essex SS0 0RY, UK
Eur J Emerg Med 10:238-40. 2003
Neck pain and stiffness after trauma can be caused by congenital defects in the posterior arch of the atlas. A case is described followed by a description of the pathology, classification, diagnosis and treatment of such defects...
- Lhermitte sign during yawning associated with congenital partial aplasia of the posterior arch of the atlas
Department of Neurosurgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:258-60. 2006
..It was associated with congenital partial aplasia of the posterior arch of the atlas. Cervical multisection-detector CT myelography during yawning showed compression of the upper cervical cord due to ..
- Anteroposterior spondyloschisis of the atlas. Two case reports and literature review
Senthil Kumar Muthu
Department of Radiology, Hammersmith Hospital NHS Trust, Duncan Road, London W12 0HS, UK
Emerg Radiol 13:337-40. 2007
Congenital bony defects of the atlas are uncommon; with isolated posterior clefts being the most frequent anomaly and combined anterior and posterior defects the least common, occurring in only 0.3-0.7% of the population...
- Occult congenital anomaly of the atlas presenting in the setting of acute trauma
A W O'Sullivan
National Spinal Injuries Unit, Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Emerg Med J 21:639-40. 2004
Congenital absence of the posterior arch of the atlas is rare. Its detection in the setting of acute trauma may be confusing and mimic a fracture. This case serves to highlight the adjunctive use of computed tomography in equivocal cases...
- A congenital anomaly of the atlas as a diagnostic dilemma: a case report
Annemarie de Zoete
Praktijk Chiropractie Heiloo, Kennemerstraatweg 69, 1851 BB Heiloo, The Netherlands
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 30:62-4. 2007
The purpose of this case report is to draw attention to the differences between a Jefferson fracture and a congenital anomaly of the anterior and/or the posterior arch of the atlas.
- Congenital partial aplasia of the posterior arch of the atlas causing myelopathy: case report and review of the literature
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84132 2303, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:E224-8. 2003
A case report of a patient with a congenital anomaly of the posterior arch of the atlas and review of the literature are reported.
- A case of Collet-Sicard syndrome associated with traumatic atlas fractures and congenital basilar invagination
H P Hsu
Department of Neurology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, 199 Tun Hwa North Road, Taipei, Taiwan 10591
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:782-4. 2004
..Computed tomography of his skull base revealed a two part atlas Jefferson fracture...
- Atlas vertebra realignment and achievement of arterial pressure goal in hypertensive patients: a pilot study
Department of Preventive Medicine, Rush University Hypertension Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Hum Hypertens 21:347-52. 2007
Anatomical abnormalities of the cervical spine at the level of the Atlas vertebra are associated with relative ischaemia of the brainstem circulation and increased blood pressure (BP)...
- Anterior atlas fracture following suboccipital decompression for Chiari I malformation. Report of two cases
Brian A O'Shaughnessy
Department of Neurological Surgery, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 1:137-40. 2004
..A C-1 fracture should therefore be considered in the differential diagnosis of posterior cervical pain in patients who have previously undergone decompression for Chiari I malformation...
- Cervical myelopathy caused by hypoplasia of the atlas and ossification of the transverse ligament--case report
Neurosurgery Division, Kitaibaraki Municipal Hospital, Kitaibaraki, Ibaraki, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 43:55-9. 2003
..Japanese female presented with symptomatic cervical myelopathy caused by a hypoplastic posterior arch of the atlas and ossification of the transverse ligament...
- Arcuate foramen of atlas: incidence, phylogenetic and clinical significance
Department of Anatomy, Kasturba Medical College, Center for Basic Sciences, Bejai, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
Rom J Morphol Embryol 48:263-6. 2007
Arcuate foramen is less known trait of the human atlas vertebra formed by a delicate bony spiculum, which arches backward from the posterior end of the superior articular process...
- JAtlasView: a Java atlas-viewer for browsing biomedical 3D images and atlases
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, EH4 2XU, Edinburgh, UK
BMC Bioinformatics 6:47. 2005
..Here we discuss an atlas viewer implemented to run on any workstation using the architecture neutral Java programming language.
- The frequency and clinical significance of congenital defects of the posterior and anterior arch of the atlas
Division of Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 7:399-402. 2007
..In this study the authors investigated the anatomical, clinical, and imaging features as well as incidence of congenital defects of the C-1 arch...
- Cervical spinal stenosis and myelopathy due to atlas hypoplasia
Yu Hone Hsu
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
J Chin Med Assoc 70:339-44. 2007
..a patient who presented at our hospital with neurologic symptoms due to congenital cervical spinal stenosis at the atlas level. Congenital atlantal stenosis is usually due to hypoplasia of the posterior arch of the atlas...
- Bipartite atlas with os odontoideum: case report
Department of Neuroradiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E35-8. 2004
A case report of bipartite atlas associated with os odontoideum and review of the pertinent literature are presented.
- Comparison of atlas- and magnetic resonance imaging-based stereotactic targeting of the globus pallidus internus in the performance of deep brain stimulation for treatment of dystonia
Department of Pediatric Neurosurgery Research Group on Movement Disorders in Children, University Hospital, Montpellier, France
J Neurosurg 96:673-9. 2002
..coordinates in the globus pallidus internus (GPi) obtained using magnetic resonance (MR) imaging with those determined using an atlas. The targets were used in deep brain stimulation (DBS) for the treatment of generalized dystonia.
- Calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate deposition in the transverse ligament of the atlas: an unusual cause of cervical myelopathy
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Skeletal Radiol 36:699-702. 2007
..The preoperative differential diagnosis of periodontoid CPPD deposition disease in the elderly population should be considered, particularly if CT studies demonstrate small areas of calcification within the retro-odontoid mass...
- Management of acute traumatic atlas fractures
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Kaunas University of Medicine Hospital, Kaunas, Lithuania
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:402-5. 2005
A prospective review of a clinical series was performed. The treatment features of atlas fractures with and without associated axis injuries were investigated.
- A rare cause of cervical spinal stenosis: posterior arch hypoplasia in a bipartite atlas
Emek, Kirim Caddesi, Senyuva Sitesi, Ankara, Turkey
Neuroradiology 44:253-5. 2002
..previously unreported combination of atlantoaxial anomalies consisting of posterior arch hypoplasia in a bipartite atlas with an os odontoideum, in a 30-year-old woman presenting with neck and left arm pain...
- Chiropractic care of a patient with temporomandibular disorder and atlas subluxation
Research Associate, Gonstead Clinical Studies Society, Santa Cruz, Calif, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 25:63-70. 2002
..To describe the chiropractic care of a patient with cervical subluxation and complaints associated with temporomandibular disorder...
- Persistent torticollis, facial asymmetry, grooved tongue, and dolicho-odontoid process in connection with atlas malformation complex in three family subjects
Ali Al Kaissi
Osteology research, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Osteology, Hanusch Hospital, Heinrich Collin Str 30, 1140, Vienna, Austria
Eur Spine J 16:265-70. 2007
Congenital clefts and other malformations of the atlas are incidental findings identified while investigating the cervical spine following trauma...
- Evaluation of cervical posture of children in skeletal class I, II, and III
Department of Orthodontics, University of Chieti, Italy
Cranio 23:219-28. 2005
..The posture of the neck seems to be strongly associated with the sagittal as well as the vertical structure of the face...
- Cervical angina caused by atlantoaxial instability
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Division of Clinical Medical Science, Programs for Applied Biomedicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 17:462-5. 2004
..Cervical angina due to atlantoaxial instability is one of the differential diagnoses of precordialgia...
- Does head posture have a significant effect on the hyoid bone position and sternocleidomastoid electromyographic activity in young adults?
Oral Physiology Laboratory, Biomedical Sciences Institute, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Santiago
Cranio 23:204-11. 2005
..There was no association to head posture with/without the condition of CMD. Clinical relevance of the results is discussed...
- Accessory joints between basiocciput and atlas/axis in the median plane
M Von Lüdinghausen
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Clin Anat 18:558-71. 2005
..the many osseous irregularities that are found in the area between the basiocciput, the anterior arch of the atlas and the tip of the dens axis we studied 99 cadaver specimens using magnetic resonance tomography (MRT), computed ..
- Principal components analysis of the atlas vertebra
Christopher A Meseke
Academic Affairs, Palmer College of Chiropractic, Florida Campus, Port Orange, Fla 32129, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 31:212-6. 2008
This project explored morphological asymmetry of the atlas by comparing multiple structural variables bilaterally using multivariate statistics.
- Vertical atlantoaxial index: a new craniovertebral radiographic index
Arvind G Kulkarni
Department of Neurosurgery, KEM Hospital and Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai, India
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:4-10. 2008
An index for measuring the vertical relationship of atlas and axis is described.
- Analysis of anatomical variations of bone and vascular structures around the posterior atlantal arch using three-dimensional computed tomography angiography
Jae Taek Hong
Department of Neurosurgery, Catholic University of Korea, St Vincent s Hospital, Suwon, Republic of Korea
J Neurosurg Spine 8:230-6. 2008
..incidence of anatomical variations of the V(3) segment of the vertebral artery (VA) and the posterior arch of the atlas (C-1)...
- Mobile and reducible atlantoaxial dislocation in presence of occipitalized atlas: report on treatment of eight cases by direct lateral mass plate and screw fixation
Department of Neurosurgery, K E M Hospital and Seth G S Medical College, Mumbai, India
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E520-3. 2004
..review on the application of the authors' technique of atlantoaxial lateral mass plate and screw fixation on a rare subset of patients having mobile and reducible atlantoaxial subluxation in the presence of occipitalized atlas.
- Odontoid compression of the brainstem without basilar impression-- "odontoid invagination"
Department of Neurosurgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 12:565-9. 2005
..Decompression of the neuraxis together with symptomatic improvement was achieved in all patients and none became unstable or developed new symptoms during follow-up ranging from 3 to 15 years...
- Posterolateral dislocation of the C1-C2 articulation associated with fracture of the anterior arch of C1: a case report
Jason J Howard
University of Calgary Spine Program, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E562-4. 2004
- Posterior atlanto-axial arthrodesis for fixation of odontoid nonunions
Department of Traumatology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel, Vienna, Austria
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:624-30. 2008
..A retrospective case series...
- Tectorial membrane injuries in children
Frances A Farley
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:136-8. 2005
..Two children with partial tears of the tectorial membrane were immobilized in a halo, and one with a longitudinal tear of the tectorial membrane had an occiput-to-C2 fusion...
- [Experimental study of posterior pedicle screw placement on atlas]
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Guangzhou General Hospital of Guangzhou Military Command, Guangzhou Guangdong 510010, PR China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 18:392-5. 2004
To assess the possibility of placing the posterior pedicle screw on atlas.
- Frameless stereotactic image-guided C1-C2 transarticular screw fixation for atlantoaxial instability: review of 20 patients
Frank L Acosta
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0112, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:385-91. 2005
..We retrospectively studied 20 adults who underwent C1-C2 transarticular screw (TAS) fixation utilizing frameless stereotaxy...
- Os odontoideum with bipartite atlas and segmental instability: a case report
Academic Hospital Feldkirch, Trauma Surgery and Sports Traumatology, Feldkirch, Austria
Eur Spine J 15:564-7. 2006
..cord signal at C1/C2 levels caused by an os odontoideum, as well as anterior and posterior arch defects of the atlas. The patient underwent closed reduction and posterior atlantoaxial fusion...
- Atlantoaxial subluxation-induced myelopathy in cleidocranial dysplasia. Case report
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Medicine, Fukui University School of Medicine, Fukui, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 7:243-7. 2007
..Surgery was performed twice for cervical myelopathy and atlantoaxial subluxation, including laminectomy at the atlas and cervicooccipital fusion in which the Luque rod system was used, as well as C1-2 fusion via the transpharyngeal ..
- Atlantoaxial stabilization with the use of C1-3 lateral mass screw fixation. Technical note
Eric M Horn
Division of Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 5:172-7. 2006
..In this series of 10 patients, the method was a safe and effective way to provide stabilization in these anatomically difficult patients...
- Halo traction in basilar invagination: technical case report
Neurosurgery Department, Ministry of Health, Diskapi Educational and Research Hospital, Ankara 06110, Turkey
Surg Neurol 66:311-4; discussion 314. 2006
..We aimed to discuss the role of the halo vest apparatus traction on the reduction of severe anterior compression pathologies in basilar invagination...
- Craniovertebral tuberculosis: a retrospective review of 13 cases managed conservatively
Department of Orthopedics, UCMS and GTB Hospital, Delhi, India
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1629-34. 2007
..Retrospective review of 13 cases with craniovertebral tuberculosis treated conservatively...
- Biomechanical comparison of C1-C2 posterior arthrodesis techniques
Panayiotis J Papagelopoulos
First Department of Orthopaedics, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E363-70. 2007
..Biomechanical comparison of 5 atlantoaxial posterior arthrodesis techniques...
- Atlantoaxial fusion: a biomechanical analysis of two C1-C2 fusion techniques
Spine Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Spine J 7:682-8. 2007
..Recently, C1 lateral mass to C2 laminar (C1LM-C2L) fixation has been shown to have flexibility similar to C1LM-C2P fixation in flexion, extension, lateral bending, and axial rotation...
- Intra-operative Iso-C3D navigation for pedicle screw instrumentation of hangman's fracture: a case report
Department of Orthopaedics and Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 15:73-7. 2007
..The navigation system has the advantage of data acquisition after patient positioning, thus making safe pedicle fixation of the C1 and C2 vertebrae possible despite fractured posterior elements...
- Double insurance atlantoaxial fixation
Department of Neurosurgery, King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Mumbai 400012, India
Surg Neurol 67:135-9. 2007
..An alternative technique of atlantoaxial fixation is described, which combines the trans-articular method of fixation described by Magerl in 1982 and the interarticular technique described by us in 1988...
- The expanded endonasal approach for an endoscopic transnasal clipping and aneurysmorrhaphy of a large vertebral artery aneurysm: technical case report
Amin B Kassam
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Neurosurgery 59:ONSE162-5; discussion ONSE162-5. 2006
..Recent advances in endoscopic transnasal surgery have provided an additional approach for the treatment of these difficult lesions...
- Bone tumors at the cranio-cervical junction. Surgical management and results from a series of 41 cases
Department of Neurosurgery, Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:741-9; discussion 749. 2006
..The surgical management includes tumoral resection and stabilization of the CCJ...
- Screw fixation via diploic bone paralleling to occiput table: anatomical analysis of a new technique and report of 11 cases
China Japan Friendship Hospital, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Beijing, China
Eur Spine J 16:2225-31. 2007
..The results confirm that occiput is available for holding intraocciput screw paralleling to diploic bone...
- Acute combination fracture of atlas and axis: "triple" anterior screw fixation in a 92-year-old man: technical note
Sandro Pertini Hospital, Division of Neurosurgery, Rome, Italy
Surg Neurol 65:58-62. 2006
..We report a case of combination atlas-type II odontoid fracture that occurred in a 92-year-old man...
- 3D morphometry of the transverse and alar ligaments in the occipito-atlanto-axial complex: an in vitro analysis
Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, and Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Department of Experimental Anatomy, Arthrokinematics Research Group, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
Clin Anat 20:892-8. 2007
..In 20 fresh spine specimens, metal markers were inserted on the cranium, atlas, and axis...
- Horizontal fracture of the anterior arch of the atlas associated with a congenital cleft of the anterior arch
Kaoru K Sasaka
Department of Radiology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, 52242, USA
Emerg Radiol 12:130-2. 2006
We report a rare combination of a horizontal fracture of the anterior arch of the atlas associated with a congenital cleft of the anterior arch...
- [Injuries to the craniocervical junction]
Zentrum fur spezielle Chirurgie des Bewegungsapparates, Klinik und Hochschulambulanz für Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Charite, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Universitatsmedizin Berlin
Orthopade 35:244-69. 2006
..following types of injuries: C0 fractures, occipital condyle fractures (OCF), atlanto-occipital dislocation (AOD), atlas fractures, atlantoaxial dislocation (AAD), and axis fractures...
- Anterior retropharyngeal fixation C1-2 for stabilization of atlantoaxial instabilities: study of feasibility, technical description and preliminary results
Department for Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Katharinenhospital, Kriegsbergstrasse 36, Postfach 10 26 44, 70022, Stuttgart, Germany
Eur Spine J 15:1326-38. 2006
..Based on anatomic findings, the technique and its feasibility in daily clinical work is depicted and discussed on our preliminary results in seven patients...
- Palpatory diagnosis of plagiocephaly
Department of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, Midwestern University, 555 31st Street, Downers Grove, IL, USA
Complement Ther Clin Pract 12:101-10. 2006
..For these reasons, we decided to look at the mechanics of the occipital bone and the adjacent atlas and bones of the cranial base, in relation to functional plagiocephaly.
- [Reliability of direct probing isthmus of axial vertebrae to defining the screw path in atlas during Magerl technique]
Department of Orthopedics, Peking University Third Hospital, Beijing 100083, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 86:325-8. 2006
To evaluate the accuracy and reliability of atlantoaxial transarticular screw insertion (Magerl's technique) in atlas under lateral fluoroscopic monitoring without anteroposterior view.
- Working area, safety zones, and angles of approach for posterior C-1 lateral mass screw placement: a quantitative anatomical and morphometric evaluation
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Neurosurg Spine 6:247-54. 2007
..The authors measured relevant quantitative anatomical parameters to define safety zones for the placement of C-1 posterior screws...
- Case-control study comparing the efficacy of surgical techniques for C1-C2 arthrodesis
Derek A Taggard
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 17:189-94. 2004
..004). This study demonstrated a statistically increased rate of arthrodesis as determined by specific radiographic criteria with the use of TAS fixation as compared with PWT...
- Posterior screw placement on the lateral mass of atlas: an anatomic study
Department of Orthopedics, Liuhua Qiao Hospital of Guangzhou, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:500-3. 2004
An anatomic study evaluating the feasibility of posterior screw fixation on the lateral mass of the atlas and comparing the pullout force of C1 posterior lateral mass screws with that of occipital and C2 pedicle screws.
- Bony anomalies of the craniocervical junction
P V V Prasada Rao
Department of Anatomy, University of Zimbabwe, P O Box MP 167, Harare, Zimbabwe
Cent Afr J Med 48:17-23. 2002
..junction was carried out with emphasis on anomalous manifestations associated with the occipital bone, atlas and axis vertebrae...
- Split atlas in a patient with odontoid fracture
Department of Neuroradiology, Hopital Jean Minjoz, 25000, Besancon, France
Neuroradiology 46:450-2. 2004
We report the unusual association of a split atlas and an odontoid fracture in a case of a cervical trauma, thus mimicking a complex C1-C2 fracture. The normal embryology of C1 and the literature on this rare malformation are reviewed.
- Neck injuries among the elderly in Sweden
Department of Aeronautics, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
Inj Control Saf Promot 10:155-64. 2003
..Lower vertebral fractures occurred in 16% of the cases and atlas (C1) fractures in 11%. The cervical soft tissue injuries amount to 19% of all injuries...
- Upper cervical spine injuries
R Sean Jackson
Kansas City Bone and Joint Clinic, Kansas City, MO, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 10:271-80. 2002
..Bony injuries, including occipital condyle fractures, atlas fractures, most odontoid fractures, and traumatic spondylolisthesis of the axis, generally respond well to ..
- Morphometric evaluation of screw fixation in atlas via posterior arch and lateral mass
Department of Orthopedics Surgery, China Japan Friendship Hospital, Ministry of Health, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:888-95. 2003
..This study is a result of manual and radiologic measurements of 50 isolated anatomic specimens of C1 and five patients of atlantoaxial instability treated by screw fixation via posterior arch and lateral mass...
- Recurrent atlantoaxial rotatory fixation in children: a rare complication of a rare condition. Report of four cases
John E Crossman
Department of Surgical Neurology, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, United Kingdom
J Neurosurg 100:307-11. 2004
..The authors believe this technique of joint stabilization augments the strength of the joint, allowing normal, but preventing excessive, rotation, until the joint reaches physiological maturity...
- [Fractures of the atlantoaxial complex in the elderly: assessment of radiological spectrum of fractures and factors influencing imaging diagnosis]
F M Lomoschitz
Universitatsklinik fur Radiodiagnostik, AKH Wien, A 1090 Wien
Rofo 176:222-8. 2004
- Atlantoaxial instability in a white-tailed deer fawn (Odocoileus virginianus)
Mitchell V Palmer
Bacterial Diseases of Livestock Research Unit, National Animal Disease Center, Agricultural Research Service, USDA, 2300 Dayton Road, Ames, Iowa 50010, USA
J Wildl Dis 38:860-2. 2002
..examination revealed atlantoaxial instability with ventral deviation of the axis due to malformation of the caudal atlas and cranial axis...
- Cadaveric morphometric analysis for atlantal lateral mass screw placement
Michael Y Wang
Department of Neurological Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 90033, USA
Neurosurgery 54:1436-9; discussion 1439-40. 2004
..For these reasons, C1 lateral mass screws are becoming increasingly popular. However, the critical local anatomy and unfamiliarity with this new technique can make C1 screw placement more challenging...
- Complete arcuate foramen precluding C1 lateral mass screw fixation in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis: case report
Michael J Huang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 01022 JPP, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Iowa Orthop J 23:96-9. 2003
Case report of a complete arcuate foramen in a human atlas vertebra inhibiting the placement of lateral mass screw instrumentation at C1...
- Vertebral synovial chondromatosis. Report of two cases and review of the literature
Gary L Gallia
Departments of Neurosurgery, Pathology, and Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 1:211-8. 2004
- Posterior atlantoaxial fixation: biomechanical in vitro comparison of six different techniques
Department of Orthopedics and SCI, University of Ulm, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:1724-32. 2002
..Six different techniques for atlantoaxial fixation were biomechanically compared in vitro by nondestructive testing...
- Posterior atlanto-axial fusion with the Olerud Cervical Fixation System for odontoid fractures and C1-C2 instability in rheumatoid arthritis
Department of Orthopaedics, Uppsala University Hospital, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Eur Spine J 12:91-6. 2003
..No serious complications related to the surgical procedure were encountered. The stability of the implant obviates the use of a solid bone block as a graft and still allows a high frequency of fusion healing...
- Therapeutic options and results following fixed atlantoaxial rotatory dislocations
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstr 30, 52074, Aachen, Germany
Eur Spine J 14:61-8. 2005
..6 points, while the average length of the DTI was 40.5 months. In conclusion, the clinical outcome and the subjective well-being following AARD deteriorates with increasing length of the dislocation-therapy interval...
- Revised nomenclature for avian telencephalon and some related brainstem nuclei
Department of Anatomy, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163, USA
J Comp Neurol 473:377-414. 2004
..nucleus had been incorrectly identified as the nucleus intermedius in the Karten and Hodos (1967) pigeon brain atlas, and what was identified as the hypoglossal nucleus in that atlas should instead be called the supraspinal nucleus...
- Towards the Atlas of human African trypanosomiasis
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Animal Production and Health Division, Rome, Italy
Int J Health Geogr 8:15. 2009
..We describe input data, methodology, preliminary results and future prospects of the HAT Atlas initiative, which will allow major improvements in the understanding of the spatial distribution of the disease.
- Mandibular condylar fractures and acute atlanto-axial subluxation. Part 1 - A new clinical and nosographic evidence
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of L Aquila School of Medicine, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 58:187-98. 2009
..The aim of this study was to analyze the acute repercussions of condylar mandibular fractures on occipital-atlanto-axial joint...
- Dental students attitudes regarding online education in pediatric dentistry
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Dent Child (Chic) 74:10-20. 2007
The Atlas of Pediatric Dentistry is a Web-based (Atlas of Pediatric Dentistry Atlas of Pediatric Dentistry (http://depts.washington...
- Multi-season climate synchronized forest fires throughout the 20th century, northern Rockies, U.S.A
Department of Forest Resources, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho 83844 1133, USA
Ecology 89:717-28. 2008
..S. northern Rockies. We derived annual fire extent from an existing fire atlas that includes 5038 fire polygons recorded from 12,070,086 ha, or 71% of the forested land in Idaho and Montana ..
- Budget and financing of mental health services: baseline information on 89 countries from WHO's project atlas
Mental Health Evidence and Research, Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence, World Health Organization, CH 1211, Geneva 27, Switzerland
J Ment Health Policy Econ 6:135-43. 2003
..Very little information is available on budget and financing of mental health services in the world...
- Design and implementation of an automated partial volume correction in PET: application to dopamine receptor quantification in the normal human striatum
Olivier G Rousset
Section of High Resolution Brain PET Imaging, Division of Nuclear Medicine, Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Nucl Med 49:1097-106. 2008
..reproducibility of human-driven PET quantification and partial volume correction (PVC) can be alleviated by use of atlas-based automatic analysis...
- PET imaging of brain with the beta-amyloid probe, [11C]6-OH-BTA-1, in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease
Department of Radiology, Fujita Health University, 1 98, Dengakugakubo, Kutsukake, Toyoake, 470 1192, Aichi, Japan
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 32:593-600. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the capacity of [11C]6-OH-BTA-1 and positron emission tomography (PET) to quantify beta-amyloid (Abeta) plaques in the Tg2576 mouse model of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Lisinopril: a review of its use in congestive heart failure
Adis International Limited, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 59:1149-67. 2000
..5 to 35mg, administered once daily) of lisinopril in the Assessment of Treatment with Lisinopril and Survival (ATLAS) study demonstrated clinically important advantages over low doses (2...
- Simulation and assessment of cerebrovascular damage in deep brain stimulation using a stereotactic atlas of vasculature and structure derived from multiple 3- and 7-tesla scans
Wieslaw L Nowinski
Biomedical Imaging Lab, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Singapore
J Neurosurg 113:1234-41. 2010
..Therefore, the authors proposed the use of a detailed 3D stereotactic cerebrovascular atlas to assist in SFN planning and to potentially reduce DBS-induced hemorrhage.
- Applied anatomy of transoral atlantoaxial reduction plate internal fixation
Department of Orthopedics, Liuhuaqiao Hospital, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:128-32. 2006
..The anatomic parameters in relation to transoral atlantoaxial reduction plate (TARP) internal fixation were measured...
- Radiographic evaluation of foot osteoarthritis: sensitivity of radiographic variables and relationship to symptoms
H B Menz
Musculoskeletal Research Centre, Faculty of Health Sciences, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Victoria 3086, Australia
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:298-303. 2009
To evaluate a radiographic atlas for grading foot osteoarthritis (OA) in relation to the relative sensitivity of different radiographic and views and features, and to examine the relationship between radiographic OA and foot symptoms.
- [Classification of atlas pedicles and methodological study of pedicle screw fixation]
Department of Spinal Cord Injury, General Hospital of inan Military Area, Jinan Shandong, 250031, PR China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 22:905-9. 2008
To investigate the classification of atlas pedicles and the methods of the pedicle screw fixation.
- An international dermatological image atlas on the WWW: practical use for undergraduate and continuing medical education, patient education and epidemiological research
Unit for Medical Informatics, Epidemiology and Public Health, University Hospital of Dermatology, Erlangen, Germany
Stud Health Technol Inform 52:788-92. 1998
We describe the development of an image database DOIA (Dermatological OnlIne Atlas) and present several spin-off projects using images of the atlas, e.g...
- Determining corneal power using Orbscan II videokeratography for intraocular lens calculation after excimer laser surgery for myopia
Mujtaba A Qazi
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:21-30. 2007
..To assess the accuracy of Orbscan II slit-scanning videokeratography for intraocular lens (IOL) calculation in eyes with previous photorefractive surgery for myopia...
- Phylogeography of North African Atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica, Pinaceae): Combined molecular and fossil data reveal a complex Quaternary history
Department of Systematic and Evolutionary Botany, Institute of Botany, University of Vienna, Rennweg 14, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Am J Bot 95:1262-9. 2008
..Here we investigate the range-wide population structure and phylogeography of Atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica), an emblematic forest tree endemic to Morocco and Algeria...
- The morphometric analysis of the V2 and V3 segments of the vertebral artery: normal values on MDCT
Department of Radiology, Selcuk University Meram Faculty of Medicine, Konya, Turkey
Comput Med Imaging Graph 33:399-407. 2009
..provided detailed demonstration of the vertebral artery at the craniocervical junction and its relationships with atlas and axis...
- Statistical analysis of 168 bilateral subthalamic nucleus implantations by means of the probabilistic functional atlas
Wieslaw L Nowinski
Biomedical Imaging Laboratory, Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore 119613, Singapore
Neurosurgery 57:319-30; discussion 319-30. 2005
..of cerebral structures from electrophysiological and neuroimaging data by using the probabilistic functional atlas (PFA)...
- First year of mandatory reporting of healthcare-associated infections, Pennsylvania: an infection control-chart abstractor collaboration
Kathleen G Julian
Division of Infectious Diseases, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:926-30. 2006
In 2004, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania mandated hospitals to report healthcare-associated infections (HAIs). The increased workload led our Infection Control staff to collaborate with Atlas, a group of chart abstractors.
- Microelectrode-guided functional neurosurgery assisted by Electronic Clinical Brain Atlas CD-ROM
W L Nowinski
Kent Ridge Digital Labs, Singapore
Comput Aided Surg 3:115-22. 1998
The Electronic Clinical Brain Atlas is a CD-ROM containing several classic brain atlases and a real-time yet simple registration function that deforms the atlases to match them with specific patient studies...
- Reduced risk of restenosis in small vessels and reduced risk of myocardial infarction in long lesions with the new thin-strut TAXUS Liberté stent: 1-year results from the TAXUS ATLAS program
Mark A Turco
Center for Cardiac and Vascular Research, Washington Adventist Hospital, Takoma Park, Maryland 20912, USA
JACC Cardiovasc Interv 1:699-709. 2008
The TAXUS ATLAS Small Vessel (SV) and Long Lesion (LL) multicenter studies compared the performance of the thin-strut (0.0038 inch) TAXUS Liberté 2...
- The Medicago truncatula gene expression atlas web server
Plant Biology Division, The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Ardmore, OK 73401, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 10:441. 2009
..We developed the Medicago truncatula Gene Expression Atlas (MtGEA) web server for this purpose.
- [Clinical application and personal X-ray film and CT design of screw-plate system by pedicle of atlanto-axis manipulatively]
Department of Orthopedics, 251st Hospital of PLA, Zhangjiakou Hebei, 075000, P R China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 22:416-20. 2008
..To study project of simplicity and utility for screw-plate system by pedicle of atlanto-axis manipulatively hand by X-ray film and CT to prove the one success rate of putting screws...
- Relationship between the morphology of the atlanto-occipital joint and the radiographic results in patients with atlanto-axial subluxation due to rheumatoid arthritis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22, Showa, Maebashi, Gunma, 371 8511, Japan
Eur Spine J 17:826-30. 2008
..However, there are occasional patients who show no motion between the occipital bone and atlas on a dynamic cervical radiograph in AAS patients...