- Middle ear pressure regulation--complementary active actions of the mastoid and the Eustachian tube
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, Aalborg, Denmark
Otol Neurotol 31:603-11. 2010
Middle ear pressure (MEP) is actively regulated by both the Eustachian tube and the mastoid air cell system.
- Mastoid and epitympanic bony obliteration in pediatric cholesteatoma
Jean Philippe Vercruysse
University Department of ENT, A Z St Augustinus Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Otol Neurotol 29:953-60. 2008
..to avoid the disadvantages of canal wall down techniques, the bony obliteration technique with epitympanic and mastoid obliteration has been developed...
- Canal wall-down mastoidectomy with mastoid obliteration for pediatric cholesteatoma
Department of Otolaryngology, Beijing Tongren Hospital and Key Laboratory of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Capital Medical University, Ministry of Education, Beijing
Acta Otolaryngol 130:259-62. 2010
..Canal wall-down mastoidectomy with mastoid and epitympanum obliteration is a good choice for treatment of cholesteatoma in children.
- Taste disturbance after mastoid surgery: immediate and long-term effects of chorda tympani nerve sacrifice
ENT Department, Southend University Hospital, Essex, UK
J Laryngol Otol 126:34-7. 2012
..To determine the immediate and long-term taste effects of chorda tympani nerve sacrifice in patients undergoing open cavity mastoidectomy...
- Comparison of bone-conducted vibration for eliciting ocular vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials: forehead versus mastoid tapping
Chia Chen Tseng
Department of Otolaryngology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 146:289-94. 2012
This study compared bone-conducted vibration (BCV) stimuli at forehead (Fz) and mastoid sites for eliciting ocular vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials (oVEMPs).
- Evaluation of the mastoid air cell system by high resolution computed tomography: three-dimensional multiplanar volume rendering technique
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Haseki Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 117:595-8. 2003
The mastoid air cell system is an important contributor to the pathophysiology of middle-ear inflammatory disease. The mastoid cavity is not only an air reservoir, but also an active space for gas exchange...
- A middle ear implant with a titanium canal wall prosthesis for a case of an open mastoid cavity
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology and Skull Base Surgery, University Hospital Nord University La Méditerranée and Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Marseille, Marseille, France
Auris Nasus Larynx 37:631-5. 2010
Open mastoid cavity rehabilitation should focus on both anatomical and functional aspects...
- Diagnosis and management of spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid otorrhea
Arvin K Rao
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
Otol Neurotol 26:1171-5. 2005
..To describe the clinical presentation, diagnosis, surgical management, and outcome of patients with spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid otorrhea...
- Mastoid recurrence after radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: two case studies
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cancer Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Head Neck 33:1535-8. 2011
The mastoid is a rare site of nasopharyngeal carcinoma recurrence after radiotherapy, and no relevant reports are currently in the literature.
- Bioactive glass S53P4 in the filling of cavities in the mastoid cell area in surgery for chronic otitis media
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 119:377-82. 2010
Chronic infection of the middle ear and cholesteatoma can be treated surgically by exenteration of the mastoid air cells behind the ear...
- Diagnosis and management of spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid-middle ear effusion and otorrhea
N E Brown
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Laryngoscope 114:800-5. 2004
..Data on nine cases of spontaneous CSF leak to the ear in adult patients from four medical centers are presented and analyzed to provide collective information about a disorder that can be difficult to diagnose and manage...
- Estimation of sex from mastoid triangle - a craniometric analysis
Department of Forensic Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal University, Karnataka, India Electronic address
J Forensic Leg Med 20:855-60. 2013
..Human skulls are shown to exhibit sexual dimorphism. The objective of the present study was to assess the mastoid region in sexing of unknown skulls...
- Mastoid obliteration using a hyaluronic acid gel to deliver a mesenchymal stem cells-loaded demineralized bone matrix: an experimental study
Chul Ho Jang
Department of Otolaryngology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Hakdong 8, Gwangju 501 757, South Korea
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 72:1627-32. 2008
..a combination of expanded human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCs) with hyaluronic acid gel in human demineralized bone matrix (hDBM) can promote osteogenesis in a mastoid obliteration procedure, with using the guinea pig as an animal model.
- Middle cranial fossa approach for the repair of spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid otorrhoea using autologous bone pate
S N Dutt
University Department of Neurotology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 26:117-23. 2001
..We also recommend the use of bone pate along with soft tissue for the repair in order to achieve a secure seal. Bone pate can effectively seal multiple defects in the tegmen plate without any risk of migration...
- Individual models for virtual bone drilling in mastoid surgery
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Head and Neck Surgery, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider, Str 11, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Comput Aided Surg 14:21-7. 2009
..The anatomy of the mastoid shows a high degree of variability, however, and the aim of this study was to evaluate whether individual virtual ..
- Focal defect of mastoid bone shell in the region of the transverse-sigmoid junction: a new cause of pulsatile tinnitus
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
J Laryngol Otol 126:409-13. 2012
..We report a new cause of pulsatile tinnitus: a focal defect of the mastoid bone shell in the region of the transverse-sigmoid junction, with a normal transverse-sigmoid sinus.
- Management of meningoencephalic herniation of the temporal bone: Personal experience and literature review
Otology and Skull Base Surgery, Gruppo Otologico, Piacenza, Italy
Laryngoscope 119:1579-85. 2009
..A review of the literature is also presented...
- Implant double tissue expanders superposingly in mastoid region for total ear reconstruction without skin grafts
Gan Lin Zhang
Department of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510120, China
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 76:1515-9. 2012
To present our clinical experience in using two skin soft-tissue expanders implanted superposingly in the mastoid region and Medpor ear framework for congenital microtia reconstruction.
- Complications of chronic suppurative otitis media: a left otogenic brain abscess and a right mastoid fistula
Yok Kuan Chew
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Hospital Sultanah Aminah, 81000 Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Ear Nose Throat J 91:428, 430. 2012
..We describe a rare case of bilateral chronic suppurative otitis media that caused a left temporal lobe abscess and a right mastoid fistula.
- Management of temporal bone meningo-encephalocoele
K K Ramalingam
Institute of ENT and Head and Neck, KKR ENT Hospital and Research Institute, Chennai, India
J Laryngol Otol 122:1168-74. 2008
..We present a series of 13 patients with chronic otitis media who suffered brain herniation into the mastoid cavity...
- Further application of the bilobed flap: the split bilobed flap for reconstruction of composite posterior auricular and mastoid defects
Cattedra di Chirurgia Plastica e Ricostruttiva, Dipartimento di Discipline Chirurgiche ed Oncologiche, Universita di Palermo, Via del Vespro 129, 90127 Palermo, Italy
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:1330-5. 2006
In this article a modified bilobed flap from mastoid and lateral neck skin for reconstruction of complex defects of the posteromedial surface of the auricle and mastoid skin, with the preservation of the retroauricular sulcus, is ..
- Bioactive glass S53P4 in mastoid obliteration surgery for chronic otitis media and cerebrospinal fluid leakage
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Turku University Hospital and University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 121:563-9. 2012
We evaluated the results of cases of chronic otitis media treated with mastoid obliteration surgery using bioactive glass S53P4.
- Congenital mastoid cholesteatoma: case series, definition, surgical key points, and literature review
Anna Lisa Giannuzzi
Gruppo Otologico, Piacenza, Italy
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 120:700-6. 2011
We evaluate 3 new cases of congenital cholesteatoma confined to the mastoid process, and compare them with cases presented in the literature in order to better define this rare lesion.
- Mastoid biofilm in chronic otitis media
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Otol Neurotol 33:785-8. 2012
We designed a study to determine the role of mastoid mucosal biofilm in chronic otitis media (COM).
- Systematic facial nerve monitoring in middle ear and mastoid surgeries: "surgical dehiscence" and "electrical dehiscence"
Yun Hoon Choung
Department of Otolaryngology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:872-6. 2006
To evaluate and systemize intraoperative facial nerve monitoring (IOFNM) in middle ear and mastoid surgeries.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the mastoid cavity and middle ear: prevalence and clinical significance of incidental abnormal findings in a nonotolaryngologic adult and pediatric population
Dong Hee Lee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Otolaryngol 35:13-8. 2006
The purposes of this study were to determine the prevalence of abnormalities in the mastoid cavity and middle ear in a nonotolaryngologic population and to correlate the results with clinical data.
- Obliteration of the persistently discharging mastoid cavity using the middle temporal artery flap
Department of Otolaryngology, St Michaels Hospital, Bristol, United Kingdom
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:433-8. 2007
To evaluate the surgical outcome of patients undergoing obliteration of a persistently discharging mastoid cavity with specific soft tissue vascular flaps for chronic otitis media or cholesteatoma.
- Postauricular periosteal-pericranial flap for mastoid obliteration and canal wall down tympanomastoidectomy
Mitchell J Ramsey
Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:873-8. 2004
To describe an effective technique for mastoid cavity obliteration in canal wall down tympanomastoidectomy for chronic otitis media and review its efficacy in producing a dry, low-maintenance, small mastoid cavity.
- Traumatic facial nerve neuroma following mastoid surgery: a case report and literature review
J W Rainsbury
Department of ENT, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
J Laryngol Otol 121:601-5. 2007
..We present a further case of traumatic facial nerve neuroma following surgery for cholesteatoma. We also review the literature and discuss the management of this condition...
- Surface area-volume relationships for the mastoid air cell system and tympanum in adult humans: Implications for mastoid function
J Douglas Swarts
Department of Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 130:1230-6. 2010
..The rate of ME pressure decrease is proportional to the ME SA/V. The mastoid air-cell system (MACS) will not function as an ME gas reserve unless the blood perfusion/surface area is much ..
- Unusual presentation of mastoid eosinophilic granuloma in a young patient
Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Rambam Medical Center and Faculty of Medicine, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 18:283-9. 2001
..of appropriate multimodality treatment, there were several recurrences, most recently with involvement of the mastoid process...
- A case of an inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor of the mastoid presenting with chronic suppurative otitis media
Kwang Jae Cho
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Secho gu, Seoul 137 701, Republic of Korea
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:523-6. 2007
..We present a case of an inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor of the mastoid bone in a 55-year-old female who complained of repeated otorrhea and a hearing impairment...
- Persistence of multiple emissary veins of posterior fossa with unusual origin of left petrosquamosal sinus from mastoid emissary
Narvir Singh Chauhan
Department of Radiodiagnosis, Dr Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College Tanda, Set No A3, Type IV Quarters, Kangra, Himachal Pradesh, India
Surg Radiol Anat 33:827-31. 2011
..Some emissary veins like the petrosquamosal sinus and mastoid emissary vein may cause significant bleeding during middle ear and skull base surgeries...
- The mastoid as a functional rate-limiter of middle ear pressure change
William J Doyle
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3000 Mt Royal Blvd, Glenshaw, PA 15116, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:393-402. 2007
The physiological function of the mastoid air cell system (MACS) with respect to middle ear (ME) pressure-regulation remains controversial because predictive mathematical models and experimental data to formulate and test hypotheses are ..
- Role of the mastoid in middle ear pressure regulation
Cuneyt M Alper
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15224, USA
Laryngoscope 121:404-8. 2011
Determine the role of mastoid volume in middle ear pressure (MEP) regulation. The hypothesis was that inert gas exchange between blood and middle ear (ME) is slower for larger mastoid volumes.
- The prevalence and significance of incidental middle ear and mastoid cavity abnormalities on MRI in a pediatric population
Mustafa Kemal University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Radiology, Antakya 31100, Hatay, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 72:1849-54. 2008
The purposes of this study were to determine the prevalence of abnormalities in the middle ear and mastoid cavity on the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in children and correlate the results with clinical data, tympanometric findings ..
- Mastoid obliteration using calcium phosphate bone paste with an artificial dermis soaked with basic fibroblast growth factor: preliminary clinical report
Department of Otolaryngology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Kochi 783 8505, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 36:15-9. 2009
To describe mastoid obliteration using a calcium phosphate paste with an artificial dermis soaked with basic fibroblast growth factor (b-FGF) and the usefulness of this procedure.
- Hypercellularity of the mastoid as a cause of spontaneous pneumocephalus
S D Richards
Department of Otolaryngology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
J Laryngol Otol 118:474-6. 2004
..are reported in which spontaneous entry of air into the head appears to have occurred through a hypercellular mastoid air cell system. In both these cases forceful sneezing and nose blowing were considered contributory factors...
- Regeneration of mastoid air cells in clinical applications by in situ tissue engineering
Shin Ichi Kanemaru
Kyoto University, Graduate School of Medicine Kyoto, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Laryngoscope 115:253-8. 2005
To regenerate of the mastoid air cells and their functions for the treatment of incurable otitis media.
- The relationship between presbycusis and mastoid pneumatization
Yavuz Selim Pata
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Mersin University School of Medicine, Mersin, Turkey
Yonsei Med J 45:68-72. 2004
..However, it would appear that a complex genetic cause is most likely. The determinants of mastoid size continue to be controversial. One of the pneumatization theories is the hereditary theory...
- Middle ear and mastoid glomus tumors (glomus tympanicum): an algorithm for the surgical management
Gruppo Otologico, Piacenza Rome, Italy
Auris Nasus Larynx 37:661-8. 2010
..Glomus tumors are slow-growing benign lesions and represent the most common primary neoplasms of the middle ear. The objective of the present study is to report our surgical strategy in the management of glomus tympanicum tumors...
- Complications with hydroxyapatite cement in mastoid cavity obliteration
Janell S Ridenour
Department of Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 139:641-5. 2008
To determine whether hydroxyapatite (HA) bone cement is a suitable material for mastoid cavity obliteration.
- Clinical anatomy of the mastoid and occipital emissary veins in a large series
Robert G Louis
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Surg Radiol Anat 31:139-44. 2009
Detailed descriptions of the mastoid emissary veins (MEVs) and the foramina through which they travel are lacking in the literature...
- Surgical method for catheter placement via the occipital artery by an approach from the posterior of the mastoid process
Department of Head and Neck, Facial Surgery, Ohara General Hospital, 6 11 Omach, Fukushima 960 8611, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:82-5. 2008
..method has been developed for catheter placement in the occipital artery by approaching from the posterior of the mastoid process. Catheter placement was performed by this method in 15 patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma...
- Relationship between surface area and volume of the mastoid air cell system in adult humans
J D Swarts
Department of Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania, USA
J Laryngol Otol 125:580-4. 2011
The geometry of the adult human mastoid air cell system has not previously been described over a large range of mastoid air cell volumes.
- Effect of a large-sized silicone sheet upon recovery of mastoid aeration after mastoidectomy
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki, Japan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:738-42. 2008
To evaluate the effect of our large-sized silicone sheet upon postoperative recovery of mastoid aeration in ears after surgery including mastoidectomy and soft-wall reconstruction (SWR).
- Indications for and outcomes of mastoid obliteration in cochlear implantation
Department of Otolaryngology, The University of Melbourne, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Otol Neurotol 28:330-4. 2007
To review the indications, efficacy, and long-term outcomes of mastoid obliteration in cochlear implant surgery.
- A case of isolated ossifying fibroma of the mastoid cavity of the temporal bones
Eui Kyung Goh
Department of Otolaryngology, College of Medicine, Pusan National University, Busan, South Korea
Am J Otolaryngol 27:358-61. 2006
To describe an isolated ossifying fibroma of the mastoid cavity that did not invade the inner ear and middle ear cavity.
- Congenital cholesteatoma of mastoid region manifesting as acute mastoiditis: case report and literature review
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
J Laryngol Otol 124:810-5. 2010
We report an extremely rare case of congenital cholesteatoma of the mastoid region, presenting as acute mastoiditis. We also review the 16 previously reported cases of congenital cholesteatoma of the mastoid region.
- Functions of the mastoid cell system: auto-regulation of temperature and gas pressure
Department of Otolaryngology, Linkoping University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
J Laryngol Otol 117:99-103. 2003
This article presents a new approach to understanding the physiological functions of the mastoid cell system...
- Hemihypoglossal-facial neurorrhaphy after mastoid dissection of the facial nerve: results in 24 patients and comparison with the classic technique
Roberto S Martins
Department of Neurosurgery, Peripheral Nerve Surgery Unit, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, and Hospital Santa Marcelina, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Neurosurgery 63:310-6; discussion 317. 2008
..To reduce this morbidity, a modified technique with partial section of the hypoglossal nerve after mastoid dissection of the facial nerve (HFM) has been used...
- Spontaneous pneumatocele and pneumocephalus associated with mastoid hyperpneumatization
Department of Radiology, Hospital Santiago Apostol, Calle Olaguíbel, 29 01004 Vitoria, Spain
Eur J Radiol 36:158-60. 2000
We present a case of spontaneous pneumatocele and pneumocephalus associated with mastoid hyperpneumatization...
- Human mastoid periosteum-derived stem cells: promising candidates for skeletal tissue engineering
Tissue Engineering Laboratory and Berlin Brandenburg Center for Regenerative Therapies, Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 2:136-46. 2008
..Our aim was to investigate the MSC-like character of PCs derived from the periosteum of mastoid bone...
- Comparative study of the pneumatization of the mastoid air cells and paranasal sinuses using three-dimensional reconstruction of computed tomography scans
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Uijeongbu St Mary s Hospital, 65 1 Geumo dong, Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi Do, 480 717, Korea
Surg Radiol Anat 32:593-9. 2010
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between the pneumatization of mastoid air cells and PNS using three-dimensional (3D) reconstruction of computed tomography (CT) scans of the PNS.
- Mastoid air sinus abnormalities associated with lateral venous sinus thrombosis: cause or consequence?
John N Fink
Department of Neurology, Christchurch Hospital, New Zealand
Stroke 33:290-2. 2002
..We have encountered patients with LST associated with mastoid abnormality on MRI without any clinical signs of infection; the significance of these abnormalities is uncertain...
- Outcome of bacterial culture from mastoid granulations: is it relevant in chronic ear disease?
Rita Ruby Anbuselvi Albert
Department of ENT, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
J Laryngol Otol 119:774-8. 2005
To detect the presence of bacteria in mastoid granulations and compare its prevalence in both types of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM)...
- Lack of otolith involvement in balance responses evoked by mastoid electrical stimulation
Omar S Mian
Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, University College London Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
J Physiol 588:4441-51. 2010
Passing current through mastoid electrodes (conventionally termed galvanic vestibular stimulation; GVS) evokes a balance response containing a short- and a medium-latency response. The origins of these two responses are debated...
- Impact of endolymphatic mastoid shunt surgery on saccule and lateral semicircular canal function
Jonas Jae Hyun Park
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, RWTH University Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 267:21-6. 2010
Endolymphatic mastoid shunt surgery (EMSS) is widely performed in patients with medically intractable Meniere's disease...
- Assessment of mastoid air cell size versus sigmoid sinus variables with a tomography-assisted digital image processing program and morphometry
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Gaziantep University, Kolejtepe, Gaziantep, Turkey
Surg Radiol Anat 26:145-8. 2004
We assessed the mastoid air cell size and variables of the sigmoid sinus in healthy ears and ears with chronic otitis media (COM)...
- Zygomatic abscess complicating a huge mastoid cholesteatoma with intact eardrum
Chung Jen Tsai
Department of Otolaryngology, Veterans General Hospital Taipei, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:436-8. 2003
- Nystagmus induced by bone (mastoid) vibration in otosclerosis: a new perspective in the study of vestibular function in otosclerosis
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Med Sci Monit 14:CR505-10. 2008
..It is assumed that vibration of the mastoid (at 100 Hz) stimulates all vestibular end organs (semicircular canals and otolith structures)...
- Fungal mastoiditis in an immunocompetent adult
Department of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 258:106-8. 2001
..following the surgery, which revealed massive granulations and proliferation of fungi but no cholesteatoma in the mastoid cavity. Fungal infection of the middle ear is rare, but can cause serious complications...
- Mastoid and epitympanic obliteration in canal wall up mastoidectomy for prevention of retraction pocket
Won Sang Lee
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Otol Neurotol 26:1107-11. 2005
To evaluate the surgical outcome in patients who have undergone mastoid and epitympanic obliteration technique.
- Tympanomastoid suture and digastric muscle in cadaver and live parotidectomy
Robert L Witt
Christiana Care Health Systems, Wilmington, Delaware 19806, USA
Laryngoscope 115:574-7. 2005
..To prove that the tympanomastoid suture (TMS) is a significantly closer and less variable anatomic landmark to the facial nerve than the posterior-superior margin of the posterior belly of the digastric muscle (PBD) in parotid surgery...
- Mastoid fontanelle approach for sonographic imaging of the neonatal brain
Radiology Department, Area Maternoinfantil, Hospital Vall d Hebron, 08035, Barcelona, Spain
Pediatr Radiol 36:532-40. 2006
This pictorial review describes in detail the examination technique used to study the neonatal brain via the mastoid fontanelle and offers a panoramic view of the anatomical structures that can be identified in each US slice...
- Volume variation of mastoid pneumatization in different age groups: a study by three-dimensional reconstruction based on computed tomography images
D H Lee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Surg Radiol Anat 27:37-42. 2005
Although there have been some reports that measured the size of mastoid pneumatization, only a few studies have reported the age-related variations in the mastoid air cell system using three-dimensional (3D) reconstruction techniques of ..
- Bone wax foreign body granuloma in the mastoid
W K Low
Department of Otolaryngology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 64:38-40. 2002
The sue of bone wax is commonly used to control bleeding during mastoid surgery. An unusual case of bone wax granuloma in the mastoid, with sigmoid sinus thrombosis, is reported...
- Mastoid obliteration: autogenous cranial bone pAte reconstruction
Joseph B Roberson
Otology, Neurotology, Skull Base Surgery, California Ear Institute at Stanford, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
Otol Neurotol 24:132-40. 2003
To review the outcome in consecutive patients who have undergone complete epitympanic and mastoid obliteration and concurrent tympanic membrane reconstruction over a 53-month period.
- Plasmacytoma of the mastoid bone: solitary and systemic
R J Engelsma
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Laryngol Otol 114:378-80. 2000
Plasma cell tumours of the mastoid are rare malignancies of haematological origin. Two patients are described with a plasma cell tumour in the mastoid bone...
- Mastoid oscillation in canalith repositioning for paroxysmal positional vertigo
E W Sargent
St. Louis University Department of Otolaryngology, Missouri 63110, USA
Otol Neurotol 22:205-9. 2001
..Successful CRP results in cessation of PPV and positional nystagmus. Mastoid oscillation (MO) has been advocated to enhance the efficacy of CRP...
- Effect of hyperdry amniotic membrane patches attached over the bony surface of mastoid cavities in canal wall down tympanoplasty
Department of Otolaryngology, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
Laryngoscope 121:1953-7. 2011
- The computed tomographical and tympanometrical evaluation of mastoid pneumatization and attic blockage in patients with chronic otitis media with effusion
University of Mersin, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Mersin 33079, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:481-5. 2006
To assess the relation between mastoid size and attic blockage in COME patients treated with ventilation tube insertion and prognosis regarding tympanometric compliance and computed tomography findings of temporal bones.
- Carbon dioxide exchange via the mucosa in healthy middle ear
Department of Otolaryngology, The Nippon Dental University School of Dentistry at Niigata, Japan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 125:975-8. 1999
..We speculated that gas exchange via the mucosa is induced by the gas diffusion caused by the partial pressure gradient of gas between the middle ear cleft and submucosal capillaries...
- Sensitivity to bone-conducted sound: excitation of the mastoid vs the teeth
S P Stenfelt
Department of Signals and Systems, Medical Electronics Group, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand Audiol 28:190-8. 1999
..at three positions: osseointegrated percutaneous titanium implants in the temporal bone, the skin-covered mastoid and the teeth...
- Mastoid obliteration with hydroxyapatite cement: the Ipswich experience
ENT Department, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust, England
Otol Neurotol 25:19-21. 2004
This article reports the outcomes of a series of patients who underwent obliteration of the mastoid cavity using hydroxyapatite cement...
- The relationship between traumatic tympanic membrane perforations and pneumatization of the mastoid
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Inonu University School of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 62:311-5. 2000
..relationship between tympanic membrane perforations resulting from blast trauma or slap and pneumatization of the mastoid cells...
- Canal wall reconstruction tympanomastoidectomy with mastoid obliteration
Bruce J Gantz
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, 52242, USA
Laryngoscope 115:1734-40. 2005
This study was designed to evaluate the authors' experience with canal wall reconstruction (CWR) tympanomastoidectomy with mastoid obliteration in the treatment of chronic otitis media with cholesteatoma.
- Recent advances in otitis media. 2. Eustachian tube, middle ear, and mastoid anatomy; physiology, pathophysiology, and pathogenesis
Charles D Bluestone
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol Suppl 194:16-30. 2005
- Changes in external ear resonance after mastoidectomy: open cavity mastoid versus obliterated mastoid cavity
C H Jang
Department of Otolaryngology, Wonkwang Medical School, Iksan, Korea
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 27:509-11. 2002
The creation of an open mastoid cavity changes the acoustic characteristics of the external ear...
- Mastoid-obliteration surgery with cartilage for suppurative cholesteatomatous ears
Tung Lung Tsai
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi (Taipei) 65:523-8. 2002
Autologous cartilage has been widely used as a material for tympanoplasty and mastoid-obliteration surgery...
- A clinicopathological study of 15 patients with neuroglial heterotopias and encephaloceles of the middle ear and mastoid region
K A Gyure
Department of Pathology, University of Maryland Medical System, Baltimore 21201, USA
Laryngoscope 110:1731-5. 2000
..Heterotopic masses of neuroglial tissue involving non-midline structures, specifically, the middle ear region, are exceptional. The pathogenesis of these lesions and, in particular, their relation to encephaloceles, is uncertain...
- The role of endolymphatic mastoid shunt surgery in the managed care era
M L Pensak
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio 45267 0528, USA
Am J Otol 19:337-40. 1998
..the surgical management of Meniere's disease has prompted us to review the effectiveness of the endolymphatic mastoid shunt procedure in the control of vertigo...
- The use of demineralized bone matrix for mastoid cavity obliteration
Bryan D Leatherman
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock 72205, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:22-5; discussion 25-6. 2004
To evaluate the use of demineralized bone matrix as a graft material for mastoid cavity obliteration in the treatment and prevention of problematic mastoid cavities.
- Mastoid obliteration
Ritvik P Mehta
Department of Otology and Laryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 39:1129-42. 2006
b>Mastoid obliteration is commonly performed to reduce the size of mastoidectomy cavity following canal wall-down tympanomastoidectomy for chronic otitis media...
- Endolymphatic mastoid shunt: a reevaluation of efficacy
D B Welling
Departments of Otolaryngology and Statistics, Ohio State University, OH, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 122:340-5. 2000
..The main goal of this paper was to statistically reevaluate the efficacy of the endolymphatic shunt procedure for Meniere's disease...
- Prognostic factors in ossiculoplasty
Caroline De Vos
ENT Department, University Hospital Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Otol Neurotol 28:61-7. 2007
..To analyze predictive factors of outcome after ossiculoplasty using a standard ossicular prosthesis system...
- Surgical management of intracranial complications of otogenic infection
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ear Nose Throat J 85:36-9. 2006
..confirmed by computed tomography, initial treatment consisted of intravenous systemic antibiotics followed by mastoid surgery...
- Tuberculous otomastoiditis on high-resolution temporal bone CT: comparison with nontuberculous otomastoiditis with and without cholesteatoma
M H Rho
Department of Radiology, Masan Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Masan, Korea
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:493-6. 2007
..Our purpose was to evaluate the differential findings of tuberculous otomastoiditis (TOM) and nontuberculous chronic otomastoiditis with or without middle ear cholesteatoma on high-resolution CT of the temporal bone...
- Canal wall down tympanomastoidectomy: the 'on-disease' approach for retraction pockets and cholesteatoma
D S Grewal
Department of Ear, Nose, Throat and Head and Neck Surgery, Topiwala National Medical College and B Y L Nair Charitable Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
J Laryngol Otol 121:832-9. 2007
..However, we found that the presence of a large mastoid antrum was an important, additional aetiological factor in the formation of a retraction pocket and its ..
- Acute complications of otitis media in adults
Department of Otolaryngology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Haartmaninkatu 4E, PO Box 220, FIN 00029 HUCH, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Otolaryngol 30:511-6. 2005
..To establish the incidence, current treatment and outcome of adult patients with acute intratemporal and intracranial complications of otitis media (OM)...
- Anterior atticoantrostomy for cholesteatoma surgery
Department of Otolaryngology, Meram Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 115:150-5. 2006
..We aimed to investigate the long-term results of anterior atticoantrostomy in adult patients with cholesteatoma...
- Mastoid obliteration combined with soft-wall reconstruction of posterior ear canal
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki, 852 8501, Japan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:867-71. 2007
To clarify the usefulness of modified soft-wall reconstruction method by combing with mastoid obliteration, 96 patients (98 ears) with their age ranging from 5 to 82 (average 51...
- Liposarcoma of temporal bone: a case report
Department of Otolaryngology, Takarazuka Municipal Hospital, 4 5 1, Kohama, Takarazuka, Hyogo 665 0827, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:511-3. 2007
..Neither local recurrence nor distant metastasis has been detected for 24 months after the first surgery. The favorable outcome in this patient was probably due to the histological type of his liposarcoma...
- Possible role of Helicobacter pylori in the etiopathogenesis of chronic otitis media
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Yuzuncu Yil University, Van, Turkey
Otol Neurotol 26:1125-7. 2005
..To investigate a possible contribution from Helicobacter pylori to the etiopathogenesis of chronic otitis media...
- Surgical management of only hearing ears with positive indications
Department of Otolaryngology, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, Japan
J Laryngol Otol 120:972-5. 2006
..Only hearing ears with chronic otitis media and cholesteatoma can be successfully treated by tympanoplasty with or without ossiculoplasty...
- Incidence of dehiscence of the facial nerve in 416 cases of cholesteatoma
Marcus W Moody
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Otol Neurotol 28:400-4. 2007
..To determine the incidence and location of dehiscence of the facial nerve in patients with cholesteatoma...
- Deep temporal fascial-periosteal flap for canal wall down mastoidectomy
Dong Hee Lee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Laryngoscope 116:2229-31. 2006
..material used for the repair of the perforated tympanic membrane, it is usually too small to cover the whole mastoid cavity in canal wall down mastoidectomy...
- Preservation of the mastoid aeration and prevention of mastoid dimpling in chronic otitis media with cholesteatoma surgery using hyaluronate-based bioresorbable membrane (Seprafilm)
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:377-80. 2007
During mastoidectomy a hollow-cavity is formed within the mastoid bone after its cortex and air cells are removed. Postoperatively, the aerated cavity is usually filled with soft tissues...
- Butterfly cartilage graft inlay tympanoplasty for large perforations
Marcielle A Ghanem
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1813-6. 2006
..Butterfly graft inlay tympanoplasty is a well-established technique for the repair of small perforations. However, the efficacy of the technique for medium and large tympanic membrane perforations remains unknown...
- Obliteration of the tympanomastoid cavity: long term results of the Rambo operation
M I Kos
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Laryngol Otol 120:1014-8. 2006
- [Temporary sensory hearing deficits after ear surgery--a retrospective analysis]
Hals Nasen Ohrenklinik, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg
Laryngorhinootologie 86:200-5. 2007
..Temporary and persistent threshold shifts can occur after ear surgery. So far, only few studies deal with temporary sensory hearing deficits after ear surgery...