- Cavernous hemangioma of the parietal bone. A case report
Departement of Neurosurgery, Mohammed V Military Hospital, Rabat, Morocco
J Neurosurg Sci 49:159-62; discussion 162. 2005
..A plain X-ray of the skull and cranial CT-scan showed a osteolytic lesion in the left parietal bone. Surgery consisted of total resection of the lesion and cranioplasty. The postoperative course was uneventful...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of osteoconductivity of beta-tricalcium phosphate and carbonate apatite applied in femoral and parietal bone defects in rats
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Oral Pathogenesis, Asahi University School of Dentistry, Mizuho, Gifu 501 0296, Japan
Dent Mater J 28:595-601. 2009
..However, the repair in parietal bone defects was incomplete despite the beta-TCP and CAP filling...
- The ALX4 homeobox gene is mutated in patients with ossification defects of the skull (foramina parietalia permagna, OMIM 168500)
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Antwerp, Belgium
J Med Genet 37:916-20. 2000
- Differential FGF ligands and FGF receptors expression pattern in frontal and parietal calvarial bones
Children s Surgical Research Program, Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif 94305 5148, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 190:158-69. 2009
..aiming to highlight distinct differences between the neural crest-derived frontal and mesodermal-derived parietal bone. We performed a detailed comparative gene expression profile of FGF ligands and their receptors known to play ..
- Tissue origins and interactions in the mammalian skull vault
Institute for Genetic Medicine, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Dev Biol 241:106-16. 2002
..These observations provide new perspectives on skull evolution and on human genetic abnormalities of skull growth and ossification...
- Age dependent mechanical properties of the infant porcine parietal bone and a correlation to the human
Timothy G Baumer
Michigan State University, East Lansing, 48824, USA
J Biomech Eng 131:111006. 2009
..This study documents age effects on the mechanical properties of parietal bone and coronal suture in porcine infants and correlates the bending properties of the bone to existing human ..
- Statin collagen grafts used to repair defects in the parietal bone of rabbits
R W K Wong
Orthodontics, University of Hong Kong, Government of Hong Kong SAR, Hong Kong
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 41:244-8. 2003
..Fifteen bone defects were created in the parietal bone of nine New Zealand White rabbits...
- Effects of enamel matrix derivative on mineralized tissue formation during bone wound healing in rat parietal bone defects
Department of Oral Histology, School of Dentistry, Showa University, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8555, Japan
J Electron Microsc (Tokyo) 51:413-23. 2002
..Our results suggest that the bioactive effects of EMD on bone wound healing and mineralized tissue formation depend, at least in part, on the local osseous environment where EMD has been applied...
- Material properties of the inner and outer cortical tables of the human parietal bone
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Anat Rec 268:7-15. 2002
..Few sites on either table had significant orientations of the axes of maximum stiffness. Despite this apparent randomness in orientation, almost all sites exhibited anisotropies equivalent to other parts of the skeleton...
- Enlarged parietal foramina: MR imaging features in the fetus and neonate
A M Fink
Department of Medical Imaging, The Royal Children s Hospital, Flemington Road, Parkville, Melbourne 3052, Australia
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:1379-81. 2006
..We discuss its relationship to the spectrum of cephalocoeles...
- Ultrasound insertion loss of rat parietal bone appears to be proportional to animal mass at submegahertz frequencies
Meaghan A O'Reilly
Imaging Research, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ultrasound Med Biol 37:1930-7. 2011
..Measurements of ultrasound transmission through rat parietal bone at five frequencies (0.268 MHz, 0.841 MHz, 1.409 MHz, 1.972 MHz and 2...
- Chondromyxoid fibroma of the parietal bone
Institute of Neurology, Madras Medical College, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
Neuropathology 25:84-8. 2005
We report the case of an 11-year old girl who presented with an intracranial chondromyxoid fibroma arising from parietal bone. Chondromyxoid fibroma is a benign cartilaginous neoplasm, which can be easily mistaken for chondrosarcoma, ..
- Cranial vault lymphoma
Andrew L Horstman
Section of Hematology, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
Haematologica 89:EIM06. 2004
- Taking calvarial grafts--tools and techniques: VI. The splitting of a parietal bone "flap"
Miami Children s Hospital, Miami, FL 33155, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:74S-88S; discussion 92S-94S. 2005
- Cleidocranial dysplasia with severe parietal bone dysplasia: C-terminal RUNX2 mutations
Michael L Cunningham
Children s Craniofacial Center, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98195 6320, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 76:78-85. 2006
..Despite the characterization of 67 unique mutations in 97 individual cases, and the availability of animal models, no obvious genotype-phenotype correlation has emerged...
- Parietal bone as graft material for maxillary sinus floor elevation: structure and remodeling of the donor and of recipient sites
Ingrid Le Lorc'h-Bukiet
Laboratoire de Biologie et Physiopathologie Cranio faciales, Groupe Physiopathologie Osseuse, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, Universite, France
Clin Oral Implants Res 16:244-9. 2005
Particulate parietal bone is used for maxillary sinus floor elevation procedure prior to dental implant placement...
- Malignant giant-cell tumor of the parietal bone: case report and review of the literature
Department of Neurosurgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Neurosurgery 48:424-9. 2001
..Pagetic GCTs are less aggressive than GCTs that are not associated with Paget's disease...
- Taking calvarial grafts, either split in situ or splitting of the parietal bone flap ex vivo--tools and techniques: V. A 9650-case experience in craniofacial and maxillofacial surgery
Miami Children s Hospital, Miami, FL 33155, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:54S-71S; discussion 92S-94S. 2005
- Bone augmentation by recombinant human BMP-2 and collagen on adult rat parietal bone
Second Department of Oral Surgery, School of Dentistry, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, Tobetsu, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 28:232-7. 1999
..Carrier collagen not only plays a role in rhBMP-2 delivery, but also provides a cell anchorage for cell differentiation and remains as an artificial matrix in woven bone...
- Regional thickness of parietal bone in Korean adults
Y S Jung
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Science Research Center, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:638-41. 2003
To clarify the clinical utility of the parietal bone graft in maxillofacial reconstruction, we performed an anatomical study by measuring the regional thickness of the parietal bone in 47 Korean adult dry skulls...
- Spring-assisted cranioplasty vs pi-plasty for sagittal synostosis--a long term follow-up study
Department of Plastic Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
J Craniofac Surg 19:59-64. 2008
..The spring group was superior with respect to blood loss, transfusion requirements, operative time, ICU time, recovery time, and total hospital stay...
- Early failure of absorbable plating in a patient with syndromic brachycephaly
Matthew B Baker
Department of Plastic Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2100 Pierce Avenue, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
J Craniofac Surg 15:519-22; discussion 522. 2004
..The reoperative rates for cranial remodeling surgery at our institution and the possible causes for this failure are discussed...
- [Symmetrical bilateral epidural hematoma after head injury in the mid parietooccipital region: case report]
Department of Neurosurgery, Chugoku Rousai Hospital, 1 5 1 Hiro Tagaya, Kure shi 737 0193, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 32:379-82. 2004
..Simultaneous bilateral craniotomies and removal of the epidural hematomas would have contributed to obtaining the good result in this patient...
- 'Z-pattern' craniosynostosis: a novel presentation of trisutural fusion
Rodney E Schmelzer
Craniofacial Center, Medical City Dallas Hospital, Dallas, Texas, USA
J Craniofac Surg 18:568-74. 2007
..In this small series, a two-staged procedure successfully normalized the calvarial dysmorphism, and early growth and development appear normal...
- Definition of topographic organization of skull profile in normal population and its implications on the role of sutures in skull morphology
Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Craniofac Surg 19:27-36. 2008
..These territories hinge on the coronal suture. Therefore, the coronal suture may play a dominant role in final skull configuration...
- The misdiagnosis of craniosynostosis as deformational plagiocephaly
Section of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
J Craniofac Surg 19:132-6. 2008
..We present 4 clinical reports on patients in whom unilateral coronal craniosynostosis and lambdoid craniosynostosis were originally misdiagnosed as occipital deformational plagiocephaly and highlight individual structural distinctions...
- Confocal laser scanning microscopic analysis of collagen scaffolding patterns in cranial sutures
Stephen M Warren
Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
J Craniofac Surg 19:198-203. 2008
..8% versus 60.6%; P < 0.05). Moreover, the pathologically fusing suture contained a highly organized mineralizing orthogonal collagen lattice. This is the first analysis of collagen patterns in patent and fusing cranial sutures...
- Of mice and mutations: phenotypic effects of the diabetic db/db and ob/ob mutations on the skull and teeth of mice
Paediatric Dentistry, Barts and The Royal London Hospital, Queen Mary University, School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 9:37-40. 2008
..To compare the phenotypic appearance of the skull bones and teeth of wild type C57BL/6J mice with that of diabetic leptin-deficient (ob/ob) and diabetic leptin receptordeficient (db/db) mice used as models for diabetes...
- [Coronal approach. Surgical technique]
Service de Chirurgie Maxillo Faciale et Stomatologie, CHU de Tours, Hopital Trousseau, 37044 Tours
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 104:341-6. 2003
..Many indications in maxillo-facial surgery require a coronal approach. We recall the main anatomic features and describe the surgical technique...
- Single suture craniosynostosis: diagnosis and imaging
Department of Plastic Surgery, Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Centre Helsinki, Finland
Front Oral Biol 12:79-90. 2008
..In this review we describe the range of isolated synostoses and show how these can lead to a variety of different morphological and functional abnormalities...
- The Bmp pathway in skull vault development
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Front Oral Biol 12:197-208. 2008
- Reconstruction of the immature craniofacial skeleton with a carbonated calcium phosphate bone cement: interaction with bioresorbable mesh
Joseph E Losee
Division of Plastic Surgery, The Children s Hospital at Strong and the University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Craniofac Surg 14:117-24. 2003
..Calcium phosphate cement may be safely used for craniofacial reconstruction in the presence of PLA implants without compromise to its biocompatibility, osteoconductivity, or remodeling capacity...
- Preformed acrylic cranial implants using fused deposition modeling: a clinical report
Peter M Gronet
National Naval Dental Center, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Prosthet Dent 90:429-33. 2003
..This clinical report presents a method for the fabrication of cranial implants for 2 patients using anatomic modeling technology...
- Modeling of scaphocephaly using superelastic titanium-nickel rings: a preliminary report
University Clinic of Medical Academy in Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
J Craniofac Surg 18:504-10. 2007
..Observations made so far and good treatment results indicate purposefulness of discussed treatment continuation...
- Strabismus in unicoronal synostosis: ipsilateral or contralateral?
Oxford Craniofacial Unit, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Craniofac Surg 18:465-9. 2007
..0872). Anisometropia and astigmatism were found more frequently in the eye contralateral to the fused suture...
- The sequence in appearance and disappearance of impressiones gyrorum cerebri and cerebelli
Department of Anatomy Drago Perovic, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 28:849-55. 2004
..The intensity in appearance of juga is partly influenced by the increasing thickness of the diploe...
- Quantifying positional plagiocephaly: reliability and validity of anthropometric measurements
Patricia A Mortenson
Department of Occupational Therapy, British Columbia, Canada
J Craniofac Surg 17:413-9. 2006
..31). Development of a stable and meaningful measurement system for the extent of plagiocephaly is needed to allow scientific studies of the natural history of plagiocephaly and effectiveness of interventions...
- Delayed degradation in a resorbable plating system
Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
J Craniofac Surg 17:194-7; discussion 197-8. 2006
..The bone underlying the plates was depressed and irregular in contour when compared with the adjacent bone. Microscopic studies showed a giant cell foreign-body reaction with crystalline material present in the cell vacuoles...
- Acquired unilateral coronal craniosynostosis
Kevin A Brenner
The Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery Institute, University of California, Irvine, CA 92868 3298, USA
J Craniofac Surg 17:561-7. 2006
..The genesis and molecular biology of craniosynostosis are discussed; patient presentation and treatment are reviewed...
- Monostotic craniofacial fibrous dysplasia: the Turkish experience
Department of ORL and HNS, Gulhane Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 17:62-7. 2006
..Because of its benign nature and decreased growth rate after adolescence, surgical treatment should be reserved for those with functional impairment or severe cosmetic disturbance...
- Microscopic approach to craniosynostosis
James E Baumgartner
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Medical School, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Texas, USA
J Craniofac Surg 16:997-1005. 2005
..The authors note that critical to this approach is the postoperative helmet therapy. Early results are encouraging...
- Ultrasound in the diagnosis of craniosynostosis
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Hamburg, Germany
J Craniofac Surg 17:623-5; discussion 626-8. 2006
..Sonography offers the potential to be a standard investigation for infants with head deformities suspecting a suture pathology and has been therefore integrated in our craniofacial outpatient clinic as a daily routine method...
- Cranial vault reduction cranioplasty in children with hydrocephalic macrocephaly
Michael J Sundine
Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery Institute, University of California Irvine Medical Center, California 92868 3298, USA
J Craniofac Surg 17:645-55. 2006
..All of the patients required at least one shunt revision following the procedure. We conclude that total cranial vault reshaping is safe and effective for the treatment of macrocephaly secondary to hydrocephalus...
- Cranial anatomy of the spade-headed amphisbaenian Diplometopon zarudnyi (Squamata, Amphisbaenia) based on high-resolution X-ray computed tomography
Jessica Anderson Maisano
Jackson School of Geosciences, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Morphol 267:70-102. 2006
..The degree to which this mosaic of features reflects functional demands, shared ancestry, and/or convergence is unclear in the absence of a stable hypothesis of amphisbaenian phylogeny...
- Asterion as a surgical landmark for lateral cranial base approaches
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 34:415-20. 2006
..When approaching the posterior fossa and posterolateral cranial base, surface landmarks are helpful in locating the junction of the transverse and the sigmoid sinus...
- Inheritance of sutural pattern at the pterion in Rhesus monkey skulls
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Center for Craniofacial Research and Diagnosis, Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A and M University Health Science Center, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288:1042-9. 2006
..species but not humans and some apes) was characterized by an articulation between the temporal bone and parietal bone. Articulation between the sphenoid and parietal bones (type SP) accounted for 14% of the specimens and was ..
- Management of the large cranial osteoma: experience with 13 adult patients
Department of Neurosurgery, Maresal Cakmak Military Hospital, Erzurum, Turkey
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:1151-5; discussion 1155. 2005
..Large osteomas are benign, slow-growing and rare neoplasms of the skull, which are usually asymptomatic but may need surgical resection...
- Pyrexia after transcranial surgery
Australian Craniofacial Unit, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide, Australia
J Craniofac Surg 17:202-4. 2006
..We conclude that this pyrexia should be considered to be a part of the normal physiological response to craniofacial surgery...
- [Free temporoparietal osteomuscular flap for cranioplasty]
Service de Chirurgie Maxillo faciale, plastique, reconstructrice et esthetique, Centre Hospitalier Régional d Orléans La Source, 14, Avenue de l Hopital, 45067 Orleans Cedex 2, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 106:22-6. 2005
..The purpose of this report was to illustrate the usefulness of the free temoroparietal osteomuscular flap in this particular situation...
- Neurocranial morphology and growth in Williams syndrome
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, Norway
Eur J Orthod 27:32-47. 2005
..A flattening was seen in the superior aspect of the parietal bone in both WS males and females...
- Giant cranial extradural primary fibroxanthoma: a case report
Department of Neurosurgery, Karadeniz Technical University School of Medicine, Trabzon TR 61080, Turkey
Surg Neurol 63:281-4. 2005
..However, until 2003, only a few cases of primary fibroxanthoma have been reported. We report a giant fibroxanthoma destroying the lateral skull base unaccompanied by a systemic or metabolic disease...
- Late results after unicoronal craniosynostosis correction
Peter J Anderson
Australian Craniofacial Unit, Women s and Children s Hospital, 72, King William Road, North Adelaide, South Australia, SA 5006
J Craniofac Surg 16:37-44. 2005
- Effects of the LactoSorb bioabsorbable plates on the craniofacial development of rabbits: direct morphometric analysis using linear measurements
R P Cançado
Graduate Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Ipiranga 6681, CEP 90619 900, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:528-32. 2006
..Normal neonatal craniofacial growth of rabbits was affected by the use of bioabsorbable plates in this study. Further studies should be conducted to investigate whether these plates affect growth in human beings...
- Surgical treatment of aplasia cutis congenita of the scalp associated with bilateral coronal synostosis
Department of Plastic Surgery, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 13:513-9. 2002
..During the second stage, the residual hairless scar was completely covered with hair-bearing scalp by tissue expansion and the residual skull defects were successfully reconstructed with split calvarial bone grafting...
- Preliminary results of standardized occipital advancement in the treatment of lambdoid synostosis
Joachim E Zoller
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical Centre, University of Cologne, Koln, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 30:343-8. 2002
..Based on the concept of frontoorbital advancement, we used the occipital advancement in order to correct unilateral or bilateral lambdoid synostosis...
- Frontocranial remodeling without opening of frontal sinuses in a scaphocephalic adolescent: a case report
Craniofacial Unit, Neurosurgical Pediatric Department, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Craniofac Surg 13:698-705. 2002
..The case of a 19-year-old young man, followed since childhood, who finally requested the correction, is presented and discussed...
- Clinical findings precede objective diagnostic testing in the identification of increased ICP in syndromic craniosynostosis
Lisa R David
North Carolina Center for Cleft and Craniofacial Deformities, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Craniofac Surg 13:676-80. 2002
..In cases such as these, long-term follow-up is essential because of the progressive nature of the disorder as well as the possibility of a recurrence of elevated intracranial pressure and a need for secondary decompressive surgery...
- Study of asymmetries of the cranial vault in plagiocephaly
Cranio Facial Morphology Laboratory, Faculty of Odontology, Hopital Roger Salengro, Lille, France
J Craniofac Surg 13:664-9. 2002
..A study on a larger population would make it possible to confirm these hypotheses and put forward new ones. Prospects for development could relate to study of all asymmetry problems affecting the base of the skull and the face...
- A new skull of early Homo from Dmanisi, Georgia
Georgian State Museum, Georgian Academy of Sciences, 3 Purtseladze Street, Tbilisi 380007, Georgia
Science 297:85-9. 2002
..We suggest that the ancestors of the Dmanisi population dispersed from Africa before the emergence of humans identified broadly with the H. erectus grade...
- Management of nonsyndromic craniosynostosis
G E Ghali
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Louisiana State University School of Medicine, 1501 Kings Highway, Shreveport, LA 71130 3932, USA
Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 10:1-41. 2002
..More recently, additional advances in pediatric anesthesia and biodegradable plating systems have improved the management of these complex craniomaxillofacial deformities...
- Bone and suture regeneration in calvarial defects by e-PTFE-membranes and demineralized bone matrix and the impact on calvarial growth: an experimental study in the rat
Department of Periodontology and Oral Gerontology, Royal Dental College, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Craniofac Surg 13:453-62; discussion 462-4. 2002
..The treatment of the defects with DBM alone or DBM combined with GTR resulted in craniosynostosis and reduced cranial growth...
- A child with Saethre-Chotzen syndrome, sensorineural hearing loss, and a TWIST mutation
Department of Otolaryngology at the University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98159, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 39:110-4. 2002
..This case report describes a patient with Saethre-Chotzen syndrome caused by a mutation in the TWIST gene who exhibits a severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss...
- Ultrasound diagnosis of craniosynostosis
Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 39:73-80. 2002
..To retrospectively study prenatal ultrasound images of patients with craniosynostosis to determine the extent to which prenatal diagnosis is possible...
- Traumatic basilar artery occlusion caused by a fracture of the clivus--case report
Department of Neurosurgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 41:541-4. 2001
..Cerebral angiography is recommended in a patient in a deep coma without massive brain contusion at the early stage of head injury to identify the possibility of vertebrobasilar artery occlusion in a clivus fracture...
- The effect of neurocranial surgery on basicranial morphology in isolated sagittal craniosynostosis
V B DeLeon
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 38:134-46. 2001
..The lack of change in the postoperative cranial base angle suggests that neurocranial surgery alleviates the occipital rotation and decreased cranial base angle described in the sagittal synostosis basicranium...
- Three-dimensional cranial expansion using distraction osteogenesis for oxycephaly
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Saga Medical School, Nabeshima, Saga, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 14:29-36. 2003
..We describe two oxycephaly cases and the surgical technique of three-dimensional cranial expansion using distraction osteogenesis...
- Three-dimensional analysis system for orthognathic surgery patients with jaw deformities
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 134:100-11. 2008
..The purpose of this article was to introduce a new method for comparing 3-dimensional (3D) standard values of the maxillofacial skeletal and facial soft-tissue morphology before and after orthognathic surgery...
- Long-spanning resorbable plates in cranial vault reconstruction
Barry L Eppley
Division of Plastic Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
J Craniofac Surg 14:89-91. 2003
- Neurocranial suture autotransplantation and periosteal dura stripping to provide a passive growth site in craniosynostosis--a case report
Maurice Y Mommaerts
Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies Team, General Hospital St Jan, Bruges, Belgium
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 31:202-8. 2003
..The behaviour of a neurocranial suture autograft in a plagiocephalic infant is described...
- Complications associated with gradual cranial vault distraction osteogenesis for the treatment of craniofacial synostosis
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 14:526-8. 2003
..Advanced bone was deformed in one patient. In another, the expansion device was exposed, resulting in a postoperative scar. Despite these complications, the cranium was successfully expanded in all patients...
- Longitudinal cephalometric standards for the neurocranium in Norwegians from 6 to 21 years of age
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, Blindern, Norway
Eur J Orthod 25:185-98. 2003
..The cephalometric standards of the neurocranium established in this study can be used as a reference material in investigations of individuals with various craniofacial aberrations and syndromes...
- Cranial base fracture and rhino cerebrospinmal fluid leakage. A case report
ENT Department G Ferreri, La Sapienza University, Rome IT taly
An Otorrinolaringol Ibero Am 34:35-44. 2007
..Skull base fractures may involve various bone structure (petrous portion of temporal bone, ethmoid, sphenoid, parietal bone)...
- [The effects of cerebral metabolic activator and vasodilator on cochlear blood flow]
Department of Otolaryngology, Nagoya University School of Medicine
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 97:1393-405. 1994
..For the measurement of CBF, part of the parietal bone was exposed. The tip of the probe connected to a laser Doppler flowmeter was placed over the area...
- Osteopontin expression in osteoblasts and osteocytes during bone formation under mechanical stress in the calvarial suture in vivo
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Medical Research Institute, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Bone Miner Res 18:1706-15. 2003
..Our results indicated that OPN expression was enhanced during the bone formation and that OPN would be one of the positive factors for the bone formation under mechanical stress...
- Primary skull lesions in the pediatric population: a 25-year experience
Sarah E Gibson
Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:761-6. 2007
..Previous studies of skull lesions in the pediatric population suggest that dermoid/epidermoid tumors are the most common childhood skull tumors...
- Biodegradation of Inion fast-absorbing biodegradable plates and screws
H Wolfgang Losken
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7195, USA
J Craniofac Surg 19:748-56. 2008
..Plates were applied to the frontal bone, over a bony defect of the parietal bone, to a nasal bone fracture, and inserted in the subcutaneous space over the occipital bone in thirty 6-week-old ..
- Aneurysmal bone cysts of the head and neck in pediatric patients: a case series
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 72:977-83. 2008
..To characterize aneurysmal bone cysts (ABCs) of the head and neck as seen at a tertiary care center...
- Big head? Bald head! Skull expansion: alternative model for the primary mechanism of AGA
Paul J Taylor
Orpington, Kent BR6 6LH, United Kingdom
Med Hypotheses 72:23-8. 2009
..Studies of human cranial anatomy indicate that frontal and parietal bone growth can account for the development of the male pattern baldness (MPB) profile and the variations that can ..
- Biomechanical strain and morphologic changes with age in rat calvarial bone and sutures
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Center for Craniofacial Research and Diagnosis, Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A and M Health Science Center, Dallas, Texas 75266 0677, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:2167-78; 2179-81. 2007
..The role of calvarial sutures in transmitting biomechanical forces within the head is unclear...
- A case of extensive hyperostosis frontalis interna in an 87-year-old female human cadaver
Ernest F Talarico
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine Northwest, Gary, Indiana 46408 1197, USA
Clin Anat 21:259-68. 2008
..in a woman with extensive Type D hyperostosis of the frontal bone and a large hyperostotic nodule in the parietal bone with impingement on the precentral gyrus, distinguishing this from the common form of HFI...
- Surgical management of a canine intracranial abscess due to a bite wound
Ann L Bilderback
Long Island Veterinary Specialists, Plainview, NY 11803, USA
J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 19:507-12. 2009
..To describe the successful surgical management of a brain abscess in a dog secondary to bite wound...
- [Skull plasty to correct congenital craniosynostosis]
Wei Min Shen
Department of Plastic Surgery, Children s Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210008, China
Zhonghua Zheng Xing Wai Ke Za Zhi 23:284-7. 2007
..To investigate the technique of skull reconstruction for the congenital craniosynostosis...
- Anterior two-thirds calvarial remodelling: operative technique for the correction of metopic synostosis in toddlers
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The Catholic University of Korea, College of Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, 62 Yeoido Dong, Yeongdeungpo gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 63:36-41. 2010
..This article presents a surgical technique used over 5 years to treat trigonocephalic toddlers in Korea...
- Histological study of experimental reconstructive materials for repair of lateral skull base and dura mater defects in dogs
Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, PLA General Hospital, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Acta Otolaryngol 123:552-4. 2003
..In order to assess the reconstructive properties of fascia lata, superficial fascia lata and bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) in skull base surgery, lateral skull base bone and dura mater defect models were established in dogs..
- Three-dimensional computed tomography cephalometry of plagiocephaly: asymmetry and shape analysis
D J Netherway
Australian Craniofacial Institute, Women s and Children s Hospital, 72 King William Road, North Adelaide, SA 5006, Australia
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43:201-10. 2006
..To investigate facial asymmetry associated with both deformational and synostotic plagiocephaly and to identify variables based on skeletal landmarks that distinguish the conditions and quantify severity...
- Haemodynamic effects of lead(II) acetate, ethanol, and their combination in rats
Jozsef Fodor National Center for Public Health, Nagyvarad ter 2, Budapest 1096, Hungary
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 75:S45-53. 2002
..The aim of the study was to analyse the haemodynamic background of the hypertension-inducing effect of lead and the role of alcohol effect in hypertension caused by lead...
- [Effects of sophoricoside and genistein on biological characteristics of osteoblasts]
Department of Traumatology and Orthopaedics, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 7:223-7. 2009
..To observe the effects of sophoricoside and genistein on the biological characteristics of osteoblasts...
- [Several variantes of transfacial approach to calvaria bases and subbasal space]
Klinika za maksilofacijalnu hirurgiju, Klinicki centar Univerziteta u Sarajevu
Med Arh 61:142-5. 2007
- Unusual involvement of scalp and bilateral kidneys in an aggressive mediastinal diffuse large B cell lymphoma: documentation by FDG-PET imaging
Radiation Medicine Centre, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Clin Nucl Med 34:638-41. 2009
..months later, he returned with complaints of soft tissue swelling over the scalp; one of them in the high parietal bone and the other over the occipital region...
- Evaluation of craniofacial effects during rapid maxillary expansion through combined in vivo/in vitro and finite element studies
C G Provatidis
School of Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Eur J Orthod 30:437-48. 2008
..Maximum displacements were observed in the area of maxilla below the hard palate, from the central incisors to second premolars, which dissipated at the frontal and parietal bone and nullified at the occipital bone.
- Antibodies to dynorphin a (1-17) attenuate closed head injury induced blood-brain barrier disruption, brain edema formation and brain pathology in the rat
H S Sharma
Laboratory of Cerebrovascular Research, Department of Surgical Science, Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Neurochir Suppl 106:301-6. 2010
..The CHI was produced by an impact of 0.224 N on the right parietal bone under anesthesia by dropping a weight of 114.6 g on the skull from a height of 20 cm through a guide tube...
- Effect of use of slow release of bone morphogenetic protein-2 and transforming growth factor-Beta-2 in a chitosan gel matrix on cranial bone graft survival in experimental cranial critical size defect model
Halil Ibrahim Canter
Acibadem University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Acibadem Health Group, Acibadem Bakirkoy Hospital, Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, Halit Ziya Usakligil Cad No 1 Bakirkoy, 34140 Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Plast Surg 64:342-50. 2010
..Bone density of the applied scaffold and the parietal bone at the same computed tomography section were measured in Hounsfield scale and this ratio was used for ..
- Paleolithic hominin remains from Eshkaft-e Gavi (southern Zagros Mountains, Iran): description, affinities, and evidence for butchery
Jeremiah E Scott
School of Human Evolution and Social Change, Institute of Human Origins, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 4101, USA
J Hum Evol 57:248-59. 2009
..These cutmarked specimens, along with a fragment of parietal bone, are also burned...
- Fibroblast growth factor-2 augments recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2-induced osteoinductive activity
Department of Orthodontics and Craniofacial Developmental Biology, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima, Japan
Ann Biomed Eng 34:717-25. 2006
..male rats of 8-week-old (prepubertal) and 16-week-old (postpubertal) received bone defects bilaterally in the parietal bone and the defects were filled by a polylactic acid polyglycolic acid copolymer/gelatin sponge (PGS) impregnated ..
- On the report of the first successful surgical treatment of brain abscess in the Ottoman Empire by Dr. Cemil Topuzlu in 1891
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute for Neurological Sciences and Psychiatry, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Neurosurgery 61:869-72; discussion 872. 2007
..a sharp trauma resulting in a 15 cm-long scalp laceration and underlying linear cranial fracture in the right parietal bone. Dr...
- Roles of interleukin-6 and parathyroid hormone-related peptide in osteoclast formation associated with oral cancers: significance of interleukin-6 synthesized by stromal cells in response to cancer cells
Section of Oral Pathology, Graduate School of Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Am J Pathol 176:968-80. 2010
..Xenografts of HSC3 cells onto the periosteal region of the parietal bone in athymic mice presented histology and expression profiles of RANKL and IL-6 similar to those observed in ..
- Enhanced bone formation using hydroxyapatite ceramic coated with fibroblast growth factor-2
Department of Neurosurgery, Clinical Medicine, Tsukuba University, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Acta Biomater 6:2751-9. 2010
..bone formation was quantified using rats with round-shaped bone defects (5mm in diameter) of the right parietal bone. Group 1 was treated only with HAP-CBs, group 2 with HAP-CBs and drops of FGF-2 solution, group 3 with FGF-L ..
- Occipitoparietal benign osteoblastoma: should entire lesion be resected when magnetic resonance images reveal wide abnormal signal intensity in surrounding bone marrow?
Department of Neurosurgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Surg Neurol 64:180-3; discussion 184. 2005
..However, it has not been clarified whether the adjacent bones should also be completely resected when magnetic resonance (MR) images reveal abnormal signal intensity in the bone marrow...
- Repair of bone defect using bone marrow cells and demineralized bone matrix supplemented with polymeric materials
Basan Gowda S Kurkalli
Investigator in Charge, The international center for Cell Therapy and Cancer Immunotherapy, Top Ichilov at Weizman Center, Tel Aviv Medical Complex, 14 Weizman Street, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 5:49-56. 2010
..Implantation of the osteogenic composite into a large area of missing area of parietal bone of the skull of rats, resulted in an extensive remodeling of DBM particles, fully reconstituted hematopoietic ..
- Osteoblastic differentiation of periosteum-derived cells is promoted by the physical contact with the bone matrix in vivo
Division of Periodontics and Endodontics, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
Anat Rec 264:72-81. 2001
..The membrane filter was inserted surgically between the surface of rat parietal bone and the periosteum after being punched out with pin holes...
- [Monostotic fibrous dysplasia of the cranial vault: a case report]
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Neurological Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 36:807-11. 2008
..We describe here a rare case of monostotic fibrous dysplasia that occurred in the parietal bone and discuss the characteristics of the MRI findings...