- Cranial bone grafts in cerebrospinal fluid leak and encephalocele repair: a preliminary report
William E Bolger
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
Am J Rhinol 17:153-8. 2003
..Patients with large encephaloceles and skull base defects present a special challenge. We present our experience with cranial bone grafts in treating this important entity...
- Secondary craniofacial reconstruction of huge frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele after primary neurosurgical repair
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Iwate Medical University, Faculty of Medicine, 19 1 Uchimaru, Morioka, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 19:171-4. 2008
..We report on the surgical procedures and the problems encountered...
- Endonasal endoscopic resection of ethmoido-orbital osteoma compressing the optic nerve
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Am J Otolaryngol 24:408-12. 2003
..This approach could be judiciously used in large ethmoido-orbital osteomas in selected cases...
- Computed tomography of the anterior skull base in Kallmann syndrome reveals specific ethmoid bone abnormalities associated with olfactory bulb defects
Universite Paris Sud, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital de Bicetre, Service d endocrinologie et des maladies de la reproduction, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:E537-46. 2013
..Kallmann syndrome (KS) is characterized by congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (CHH) and an impaired sense of smell related to defective development of the olfactory system...
- The role of endonasal surgery in the management of frontoethmoidal osteomas
Department of Ear, Nose and Throat Diseases, Head, Neck and Facial Plastic Surgery, Communication Disorders, Klinikum Fulda, Germany
Rhinology 39:66-70. 2001
..We favour the osteoplastic frontal sinus approach with coronal incision if an external approach is required to achieve tumour resection with the best aesthetic results...
- Osteoid osteoma of the ethmoid bone associated with dacryocystitis
Vassilios A Lachanas
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Crete School of Medicine, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Head Face Med 2:23. 2006
Osteoid osteomas (OO) are small, benign osteoblastic lesions. Ethmoid bone OO has been very rarely reported so far.
- Case report: Aneurysmal bone cyst of the ethmoid bone
K A Hrishikesh
Department of Radiology, Jaslok Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai 400 012, India
Br J Radiol 75:916-8. 2002
..Very few cases of ABC of the paranasal sinuses have been reported in the literature. We present MRI findings of ABC of the ethmoid sinus in a 19-year-old male...
- Frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele: new morphological findings and a new classification
Chulalongkorn Craniofacial Center, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Craniofac Surg 14:847-58. 2003
..Each clinical entity is a final result of its own disease course (stable, progressive, or regressive FEEM), with a varying degree of communication between the external mass and the central nervous system...
- Clinical signs of orbital wall fractures as a function of anatomic location
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:149-53. 2003
..The objective of this study was to see whether clinical signs of medial orbital wall fractures distinguished these fractures from fractures of the lateral orbital wall and the orbital floor...
- Pneumocephalus and presumed meningitis following inconspicuous penetrating periocular trauma
Efstathios T Detorakis
Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 82:603-5. 2004
..To report a case of serious intracranial complications in an adolescent youth following a seemingly trivial periocular injury...
- Frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocoele with colpocephaly: case report and clinical review
Otolaryngology Department, Silchar Medical College and Hospital, Silchar, Assam, India
J Laryngol Otol 122:321-3. 2008
..Early diagnosis and referral, involving multidisciplinary teamwork, are of paramount importance because of the distorting influence of the extruding mass on facial growth...
- Morphological relationship between the cranial base and dentofacial complex obtained by reconstructive computer tomographic images
Department of Orthodontics, Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, Chiba, Japan
Eur J Orthod 25:385-91. 2003
..The length and inclination of the posterior cranial base, which is related to Ba, influenced the position of the glenoid fossa...
- Cribra orbitalia visualized in computed tomography
Institute of Anatomy, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Königin Luise Str 15, D 14195 Berlin
Ann Anat 186:169-72. 2004
..Clinical research may now begin by examining relevant patients undergoing CT...
- Perioperative management for surgical correction of frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele in children: a review of 102 cases
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Paediatr Anaesth 17:856-62. 2007
..The extruding mass results in a cutaneous expanding lesion and facial deformity. The objective of this study was to review perioperative management for surgical correction of this condition...
- Midfacial degloving approach for repair of naso-orbital-ethmoid and midfacial fractures
Department of Otolaryngology, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 6:133-5. 2004
..To demonstrate that the midfacial degloving (MFD) approach can provide the proper exposure to successfully reduce naso-orbital-ethmoid (NOE) and midfacial fractures while eliminating the need for external skin incisions...
- Monostotic fibrous dysplasia originating from ethmoid bone: treatment with endoscopic approach
Department of Otolaryngology, Yuzuncu Yil University, School of Medicine, Van, Turkey
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 113:139-41. 2004
..Endoscopic and transnasal removal of the mass with a drill was performed under general anesthesia. No residual tumor was observed 6 months later...
- Severe posterior epistaxis-endoscopic surgical anatomy
Francini G M Pádua
Clinical Hospital of the Medical University of São Paulo, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Laryngoscope 118:156-61. 2008
..To describe the anatomy of the sphenopalatine foramen (SPF) region and possible anatomical variations...
- Computed tomographic and endoscopic analysis of supraorbital ethmoid cells
Beijing Institute of Otolaryngology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, PR China
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:562-8. 2007
..In addition, subjects with chronic rhinosinusitis with SOEC were reviewed for endoscopic analysis...
- Frontobasilar fractures in children
Unit of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, Center for Orbital Pathology, St Anna Hospital and University, Corso Giovecca 203, 44100, Ferrara, Italy
Childs Nerv Syst 20:168-75. 2004
..Fractures of the orbital roof, despite the common blow-out floor fractures, are considered uncommon events. In children younger than 7 years this pattern of fracture may be a consequence of nonpneumatized frontal sinuses...
- Direct orbital manometry in normal and fractured orbits of Chinese patients
Department of Ophthalmology, Shanghai Ninth People s Hospital, Medical School, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2282-7. 2007
- [Dysthyroid orbitopathy: imaging]
M P Boncoeur
Laboratoire d Imagerie Médicale, CHU Dupuytren, 2, avenue Martin Luther King, 87042 Limoges
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:815-8. 2004
..Using these imaging modalities, one can quantify orbital involvement in Graves disease. This analysis is based upon five items: proptosis, fat, muscles, optic nerve and ethmoid...
- [Orbital decompression for dysthyroid orbitopathy: a review of techniques and indications]
Service d Ophtalmologie et Chirurgie Plastique et Reconstructive, Fondation Rothschild, 25 29, rue Manin, 75019 Paris
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:828-44. 2004
..This article will describe the development of this procedure and will outline the surgical techniques and their complications. It emphasizes the multifactor indications for this procedure...
- Images in clinical medicine. Left nasal discharge and meningitis
Gregory Youngnam Chang
121st U S Army General Hospital, Seoul 96205 0017, Korea
N Engl J Med 351:e19. 2004
- Uncommon anatomic variations in patients with chronic paranasal sinusitis
Ting Kuang Chao
Department of Otolaryngology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Pan Chiao, Taipei, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:221-5. 2005
..The correct identification and proper treatment for these variations are important...
- A complex therapy for treatment of frontoethmoidal meningoencephalocele in a developing third world country: neurosurgical aspects
Departments of Neurosurgery and Cranio maxillofacial Surgery, Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital, Dresden, Germany
J Neurosurg 104:326-31. 2006
..The authors combined neurosurgical and craniofacial approaches for the development of a simple technique that corrects this type of meningoencephalocele in a one-step procedure that has not been discussed in the literature previously...
- Anterior encephaloceles: a series of 103 cases over 32 years
A K Mahapatra
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurosciences Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Clin Neurosci 13:536-9. 2006
..Twenty-two patients (22%) had postoperative CSF leak, of which five required lumboperitoneal shunt placement. We believe that hemiorbital advancement offers satisfactory results with less morbidity than the Tessier's operation...
- Combined transcutaneous transethmoidal/transorbital approach for the treatment of medial orbital blowout fractures
Kwang Seog Kim
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1947-55. 2006
..However, its major disadvantage is the difficulty of accurately reducing the fractured medial orbital wall and herniated soft tissues with minimal morbidity...
- Correction of the frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele with minimal facial incision: modified Chula technique
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Craniofac Surg 17:353-7. 2006
..This study demonstrates a possibility of doing definitive surgery with minimal facial incision...
- Orbital morphology in exophthalmos and exorbitism
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Hopital Foch, Suresnes, France
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:542-50; discussion 551-2. 2006
..High myopia can enhance proptosis. The purpose of this study was to provide values for orbital measurements from computed tomography and to suggest computed tomography criteria for nonsyndromic exorbitism...
- Removal of an orbital apex hemangioma using an endoscopic transethmoidal approach: technical note
Department of Otolaryngology, Kagawa University Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa, Japan
Neurosurgery 59:ONSE159-60; discussion ONSE159-60. 2006
..Retrobulbar cavernous hemangioma was successfully removed by a transethmoidal approach...
- Computer modeling and intraoperative navigation in maxillofacial surgery
Annette M Pham
Department of Otolaryngology, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:624-31. 2007
..This study evaluates the use of preoperative computer modeling and intraoperative navigation to guide reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton...
- Ethmoid osteoma with frontal and orbital extension: endoscopic removal and reconstruction
Unit of Airway Endoscopic Surgery, Padua University Hospital, Padua, Italy
Acta Otolaryngol 125:1122-5. 2005
..A CT scan performed 6 months postoperatively showed good ventilation of the sinonasal cavity and effective reconstruction of the medial orbital wall...
- [Surgical techniques. Nose, paranasal sinuses, midface, orbits, hypophysis VI]
Laryngorhinootologie 84:705-11. 2005
- Outcomes of severely comminuted (type III) nasoorbitoethmoid fractures
Alan S Herford
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Loma Linda University, CA 92350, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1266-77. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate all results in treating these challenging injuries. The work is to be used as a basis for continuing quality improvement of our surgical technique...
- The analysis of anterior skull base from two different perspectives: coronal and reconstructed sagittal computed tomography
Osman Kursat Arikan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kirikkale University, Kirikkale, Turkey
Rhinology 43:115-20. 2005
..These measurements may be helpful in the presurgical evaluation of patients undergoing endoscopic sinus surgery to optimize surgical safety...
- Endoscopic ligation of the anterior ethmoid artery
Steven D Pletcher
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Laryngoscope 117:378-81. 2007
- A clinically applicable reporting system for the diagnosis of facial fractures
K E Follmar
Division of Plastic, Reconstructive, Maxillofacial, and Oral Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:593-600. 2007
..Adoption of this reporting system should improve communication between emergency medicine physicians, radiologists and surgeons...
- Endoscopic drainage of a superiorly based subperiosteal orbital abscess
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Universidade Luteranan do Brasil, Canoas, Brazil
Laryngoscope 118:162-4. 2008
- Sphenoethmoidal encephalocele: a case report
D S Acherman
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 40:329-33. 2003
..This article documents the characteristics and treatment of an infant patient with a sphenoethmoidal encephalocele. An extracranial, transpalatal approach was used to eliminate the encephalocele...
- A comparison of cranial base growth in Class I and Class II skeletal patterns
B M Wilhelm
Department of Orthodontics, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43218-2357, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 119:401-5. 2001
- Craniofacial approaches to midfacial fractures
Lawrence J Marentette
Division of Facial and Plastic Reconstructive Surgery, University of Michigan Hospital, Ann Arbor 48109 0312, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 6:136. 2004
- Extramedullary hematopoiesis within a frontoethmoidal encephalocele in a newborn with holoprosencephaly
V E Elgin
Department of Neurology, Division of Pediatric Neurology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 4:289-97. 2001
..EMH may have been induced from hematopoietic stem cells in the richly vascular meningeal component of the encephalocele, in response to anemia and hypoxia...
- Bacterial meningitis secondary to a transethmoidal encephalocele presenting to the emergency department
Michael D Schwartz
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0769, USA
J Emerg Med 23:171-4. 2002
..The key features of the patient's past medical history, the steps to diagnosis, and a discussion of this exceedingly rare entity are detailed...
- Midfacial degloving: an alternative approach for traumatic corrections in the midface
University Hospital of Cranio-Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical School, University of Vienna, Austria
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 30:272-7. 2001
..Midfacial degloving offers good exposure, specially of the central part of the midface, without leaving an external scar. It is useful for reconstructive procedures in patients after midface trauma...
- Surgical anatomy of the cribriform plate and adjacent areas
Applied and Clinical Anatomical Laboratory, Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:25-33. 2005
..The variations important in anterior skull base approaches are also discussed and compared with the data found in the literature. The surface anatomy and development of the cribriform plate is described...
- Posttraumatic enophthalmos: etiology, principles of reconstruction, and correction
Unit of Cranio Maxillo Facial Surgery, Centre for Craniofacial Deformities and Orbital Surgery, St Anna Hospital and University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 19:351-9. 2008
..The results were satisfactory in all cases. It is evident that a perfect correction of the deformity is difficult to achieve. Often soft tissue changes limit the aesthetic and morphologic results, despite adequate bony reconstruction...
- [The orbito-zygomatic craniotomy in the treatment of giant tumor penetrating from maxillary-ethmoidal region to the anterior cranial fossa]
, Sl. AM w Katowicach
Otolaryngol Pol 55:273-8. 2001
..As a result of this approach the possibility of whole tumour resection was obtained. Also, easy closure of anterior fossa and avoidance of the facial deformation was achieved...
- Frontoethmoidal encephalocele: treatment and outcome
Ahmad Ridzwan Arshad
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hospital Kuala Lumpur, Jalan Pahang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Craniofac Surg 19:175-83. 2008
..There were two mortalities and five patients who had complications that needed secondary surgical intervention. Thirty-eight patients are still under follow up without any complaints...
- A critical evaluation of the pitchfork analysis
Department of Orthodontics and Children s Dentistry, Centre for Dental and Oral Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Orthod 23:1-14. 2001
..These results indicate that the pitchfork analysis is not sufficiently sensitive to distinguish between the skeletal and dental effects of orthodontic treatment...
- Extracranial correction of frontoethmoidal meningoencephaloceles: feasibility and outcome in 52 consecutive cases
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Hand Surgery, Burn Center, Klinikum Bogenhausen, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:386e-395e. 2008
..Conventional surgical therapy includes extracranial and intracranial approaches with frontal craniotomy or trepanation of the frontal bone...
- Pilot study of a device for measuring instrument forces during endoscopic sinus surgery
Paul S White
University Department of Otolaryngology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Acta Otolaryngol 124:176-8. 2004
..In this article we describe the new forceps, present our preliminary results and explore the potential benefits of this new instrument...
- [Trans-ethmoid meningocele diagnosed in adults. Description of one case]
C H Castaño-Duque
Servicio de Radiodiagnostico, Ciudad Sanitaria y Universitaria de Bellvitge, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Espana
Rev Neurol 25:230-3. 1997
..The transetmoidal can be a cause of rhinorrhea. The CT scan study of anterior fosa is a good method for diagnostic of this pathology, however, the IRM is the election method...
- Telecanthus and hypertelorism in frontoethmoidal meningoencephaloceles and the surgical correction of these conditions: Part II. A novel surgical approach in the treatment of telecanthus
Department of Neurological Surgery, Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden, Germany
J Craniofac Surg 19:148-55. 2008
..The mean follow-up was 9 months (range: 5-16 months). The reader is further referred to our previous paper for interpreting the orbital measurement values in Khmer Cambodians as pertinent to TC or HT...
- Endoscopic endonasal resection of a midline intradural frontobasal dermoid tumour
Department of Neurosurgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy GATA, Ankara, Turkey
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 50:363-6. 2007
..Reconstruction is very important after the surgery and a carefully planned pedicled graft technique may help in the prevention of cerebrospinal fluid leakage...
- Telecanthus and hypertelorism in frontoethmoidal meningoencephaloceles and the surgical correction of these conditions: Part I. An orbital anthropomorphometric evaluation of the Khmer subpopulation of Cambodia
Department of Neurological Surgery, Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden, Germany
J Craniofac Surg 19:137-47. 2008
..By means of a short literature review, we have attempted to reorganize the multiplicity of definitions in orbital measurements, as well as clarify the confusing terminology used in TC and HT...
- Nasal bots...a fascinating world!
Carlos E Angulo-Valadez
Centro de investigaciones Biologicas des Nordeste, Mas bermejo 195, Col Playa de Santa Rita, La Paz, B C S 23090, Mexico
Vet Parasitol 174:19-25. 2010
..pupation, some other species migrate from eyes to blood before returning to nasal cavities either through the ethmoid bone (Gedoelstia hässleri) or via lungs and bronchi (Gedoelstia cristata)...
- Cranial base fracture and rhino cerebrospinmal fluid leakage. A case report
ENT Department G Ferreri, La Sapienza University, Rome IT taly
An Otorrinolaringol Ibero Am 34:35-44. 2007
..Since the cephalalgia persisted further CT examination was performed and revealed another fracture rima in the ethmoid bone. Nasal fibroendoscopy was performed again to close this fistula...
- Inadvertent intracranial insertion of a soft rubber tube in a patient with Treacher-Collins syndrome: case report and review of literature
Division of Neurosurgery, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1H 8 L1
Childs Nerv Syst 24:609-13. 2008
..and complete absence of maxillary sinuses, external auditory canal, middle ear and ossicles, and roof of ethmoid bone. There was a central cleft in the frontoethmoidal area. The inner ear and the semicircular canals were present...
- Report in Europe of nasal myiasis by Rhinoestrus spp. in horses and donkeys: seasonal patterns and taxonomical considerations
Department of Animal Health and Welfare, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Valenzano Bari, Italy
Vet Parasitol 122:79-88. 2004
..all stages, were collected from the throat region, the turbinates and beyond the lamina cribrosa of the ethmoid bone, in the cerebral cavity...
- Neural-dural transition at the medial anterior cranial base: an anatomical and histological study with clinical applications
Amos O Dare
Department of Neurosurgery, Louis Bakay Neuroscience Laboratory, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14209, USA
J Neurosurg 99:362-5. 2003
- Sectional anatomy of the olfactory pathways
C C Chen
Department of Human Anatomy, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, China
J Neurosurg Sci 54:39-44. 2010
..The purpose of this study was to provide practical anatomic data for imaging diagnosis of olfactory pathways and operation of nasal cavity and anterior cranial fossae...
- Balamuthia mandrillaris, an opportunistic agent of granulomatous amebic encephalitis, infects the brain via the olfactory nerve pathway
Albrecht F Kiderlen
Department of Infectious Diseases, Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Parasitol Res 94:49-52. 2004
..to adhere to the nasal epithelium, progress along the olfactory nerves, traverse the cribriform plate of the ethmoid bone, and finally infect the brain. A similar invasion pathway has been described for N. fowleri...
- Combined use of crushed cartilage and processed fascia lata for dorsal augmentation in rhinoplasty for Asians
Yong Ju Jang
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Laryngoscope 119:1088-92. 2009
..This report describes our experience using combined Tutoplast-processed fascia lata (TPFL) and crushed cartilage for dorsal augmentation and contouring in rhinoplasty...
- Emil Zuckerkandl (1849-1910): anatomist and pathologist
Mohammadali M Shoja
Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases Research Center, Tabriz Medical University, Tabriz, Iran
Ann Anat 190:33-6. 2008
..the thyroid gland), Zuckerkandl's operation (perineal prostatectomy), Zuckerkandl's dehiscence (fissures in the ethmoid bone), and concha of Zuckerkandl (a rare nasal concha)...
- [A rare case of cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea]
Oddział Otolaryngologii, Miedzyleski Szpital Specjalistyczny w Warszawie
Otolaryngol Pol 62:773-5. 2008
..Cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea is a result of a damage to bones and dura mater of the anterior cranial fossa base. In more than 90% it is of trauamatic etiology...
- 2. An unusual death due to the impalement of a gear stick into the brain stem through the nasal cavity: a case report
Department of Legal Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Med Sci Law 45:176-8. 2005
..In the basal skull there was a notable perforation at the ethmoid bone together with the central part of the sphenoid bone including the sella turcica...
- [Nontraumatic ethmoid cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea complicating Sheehan syndrome]
Service d endocrinologie diabétologie, CHU Farhat Hached, Sousse, Tunisie
Presse Med 34:935-7. 2005
..Treatment of pituitary macroadenoma frequently leads to nontraumatic cerebrospinal fistula and rhinorrhea. We report an unusual case of rhinorrhea in a woman with Sheehan's syndrome...
- Use of nasal septal bone to straighten deviated septal cartilage in correction of deviated nose
Yong Ju Jang
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 118:488-94. 2009
..often requires removal of the deviated part of the quadrangular cartilage and the perpendicular plate of the ethmoid bone or vomer. In most cases, the removed bone is discarded...
- Clinical significance of the sphenoidal process of the cartilaginous nasal septum: A preliminary morphological evaluation
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Clin Anat 23:265-9. 2010
..septum ossifies from cranial to caudal and from ventral to dorsal, thereby forming the perpendicular plate of ethmoid bone and vomer...
- [Study on computed tomography features of nasal septum cellule and its clinical significance]
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Affiliated Hospital of Luzhou Medical Collage, Luzhou, 646000, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 22:217-9. 2008
..To investigate the features of nasal septum cellule in computed tomographic (CT) images and its clinical significance...
- [Bilateral papilledema secondary to chronic lymphocytic leukaemia]
Servicio de Oftalmologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario San Carlos, Madrid, Espana
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 82:303-6. 2007
..magnetic resonance imaging of the brain and orbit were performed and showed an infiltrative mass in the orbit with extension to the ethmoid bone and both optic nerves. Biopsy of the mass was compatible with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Combined conchal cartilage-ethmoid bone grafts in nasal surgery
B R Neu
Division of Plastic Surgery at North York General Hospital and the University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:171-5. 2000
..Applying thin sheets of pliable ethmoid bone to conchal cartilage gives the cartilage greater strength and, at the same time, allows it to retain some ..
- Clinical prognostic factors of chronic rhinosinusitis after endoscopic sinus surgery
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Third Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, PR China
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 70:113-7. 2008
..We aimed to determine the clinical prognostic factors of chronic rhinosinusitis after endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS) in order to better guide the management of patients...
- Insights into a mummy: a paleoradiological analysis
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Dubrava University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 34:797-802. 2010
..Damage of the ethmoid bone at the roof of the nasal cavity was most likely caused by mortuary brain removal practice...
- Nasoethmoid orbital fractures: diagnosis and treatment
Larry A Sargent
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, TN 37403, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:16S-31S. 2007
..This organized approach has proven effective in restoring preinjury appearance. Early diagnosis combined with the aggressive surgical techniques described will optimize results and minimize the late posttraumatic deformity...
- Dural arteriovenous fistula in the anterior cranial fossa: four case reports
Department of Neurosurgery, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 48:560-3. 2008
..Increase in the size of a venous varix is the indicator for aggressive therapeutic intervention in a patient receiving conservative medical management for asymptomatic or nonruptured DAVFs in the anterior cranial fossa...
- Surgery in developing countries
Jeffrey V Rosenfeld
J Neurosurg Pediatr 1:108; author reply 208-9. 2008
..The authors developed a low-cost humanitarian program with the goals of treating frontoethmoidal MECs, ensuring careful postoperative follow-up, and teaching Khmer surgeons how to treat these malformations...
- Morphology of the nasal capsule of primates--with special reference to Daubentonia and Homo
Institut für Evolution und Oekologie, Fachbereich Biologie der Universität, Auf der Morgenstelle 28, D 772076, Tubingen, Germany
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 297:1985-2006. 2014
..Many fetal structures become resorbed. Together, all surviving bone structures form the ethmoid bone, but cartilages of the external nose and of the vomeronasal complex can persist throughout life...
- Initial surgical treatment for chronic frontal sinusitis: a pilot study
Samuel S Becker
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 116:286-9. 2007
..The initial surgical treatment for chronic frontal sinusitis is not well defined. Our objective was to determine the effectiveness of anterior ethmoidectomy for chronic frontal sinusitis...
- Post-traumatic ethmoid mucocele following penetrating craniofacial injury
Jason S Hamilton
Osborne Head and Neck Institute, Los Angeles, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 86:452, 454. 2007
- Lateral lamella of the cribriform plate: software-enabled computed tomographic analysis and its clinical relevance in skull base surgery
C Arturo Solares
Head and Neck Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:285-9. 2008
..To describe a quantitative analysis of the lateral lamella of the cribriform plate (LLCP) height in computed tomographic (CT) images. The LLCP is the thinnest anatomic structure in the skull base...
- Epistaxis as the only initial symptom in pediatric naso-orbital-ethmoid fracture complicated with meningitis
Erh Kang Chou
Department of Plastic Surgery, School of Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Craniofac Surg 20:953-5. 2009
..A high index of suspicion with repetitive computed tomographic scans is necessary to achieve correct early diagnosis. Parental antibiotic therapy is indicated if ascending cerebrospinal fluid infection develops...
- [The application of diethylstilbestrol injection in perforation of nasal septum]
Department of Otolaryngology, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Shanghai, 200080, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 21:1022-3. 2007
..To evaluate the repairing effect of ] diethylstilbestrol injection in mucosa injury of nasal septum...
- Transethmoidal meningoencephalocele involving the olfactory bulb with enlarged foramina of the lamina cribrosa--case report
Department of Neurosurgery, Kagoshima University, Graduate School of Medicine and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 49:269-72. 2009
..Basal cephalocele should be considered in a patient with recurrent rhinorrhea and intracranial infections, even in the absence of any apparent anomaly...
- Seasonal variations in frontoethmoidal meningoencephalocele births in Cambodia
Franck Emmanuel Roux
INSERM 825 et Service de Neurochirurgie, Hopital Purpan, F 31059 Toulouse, France
J Neurosurg Pediatr 4:553-6. 2009
..This seasonal variation in the incidence of fMEC births may provide clues to the causes of this condition...
- Complete response of CNS-involved olfactory neuroendocrine tumor using multimodal therapy
Department of Medicine, The University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Onkologie 31:119-21. 2008
..Locally advanced tumors in the olfactory area commonly have central nervous system (CNS) involvement and are often incurable...
- Fronto-ethmoidal encephalocele in a historical skull with artificial deformation and no signs of chronic elevated intracranial pressure
Department of Neurosurgery, Trauma Center Berlin, Warener Strasse 9, 12683 Berlin, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:1107-9. 2008
..We conclude that the intentional deformation of skulls does not lead to chronic elevated intracranial pressure and mental retardation...
- Choanal polyp originating from the cribriform plate
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, School of Medicine, Mersin University, Mersin, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 21:806-7. 2010
..The prognosis after the surgery is good, and recurrence rate is low. Herein, we present a case of a CP originating from the cribriform plate with its radiologic and surgical findings...
- Anatomic study of the anterior skull base via an endoscopic transnasal approach
Beijing Fuxing Hospital Affiliated With Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 113:281-4. 2011
..This anatomic study was undertaken to describe the area of surgical exposure of the anterior skull base afforded by transnasal approaches with an endoscope, as well as to provide references for clinical practice...
- Skull base injury leading to death after conventional septoplasty
Otolaryngology Department, Loghman Hakim General Hospital, Shahid Beheshti Medical University, Tehran, Iran
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 34:5-6. 2013
..Like other similar procedures, prevention of the skull base injury is more important than its treatment. Correct knowledge about anatomy of the region and meticulous manipulation and instrumentation are the most considerable topics...
- [Pneumatization of perpendicular plate of the ethmoid bone and mucocele]
Rong guang Wang
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 38:279-81. 2003
To find out the prevalence of pneumatization of perpendicular plate of the ethmoid bone, and to discuss the diagnosis and management of perpendicular plate mucocele (nasal septal mucocele).
- Treatment of isolated sphenoid sinus inflammatory disease by endoscopic sphenoidotomy without ethmoidectomy
David A Kieff
Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Laryngoscope 112:2186-8. 2002
..The study was conducted to determine the efficacy of endoscopic sinus surgery with partial middle turbinectomy and without ethmoidectomy in treating isolated sphenoid opacification from inflammatory and infectious disease...
- Morphometric evaluation of the sphenopalatine foramen for endonasal surgery
Adriana B Antunes Scanavini
Department of Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of São Paul, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Rhinology 48:441-5. 2010
..Thus, the objective of this study was to investigate the numerical variation of the SPF, its relation to the ethmoid bone crista of the palatine bone in the lateral nasal wall, its distance from the anterior nasal spine and the angle ..
- Recurrent pneumococcal meningitis in a child with transethmoidal encephalocele: a case report and review of literature
Pediatrics Clinic, Department of Paediatrics, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 63:119-24. 2011
- Purse-string closure for frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Craniofac Surg 22:1584-90. 2011
..Unfortunately, the conventional elliptical excision leaves a long, straight-line scar that becomes a stigma of the disease...
- Endoscopic reconstruction of frontal, cribiform and ethmoid skull base defects
University of New South Wales, Macquarie University, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 74:104-18. 2013
..Techniques applicable to ESBR in general (subdural graft placement, graft/flap placement, barrier and support dressing) are covered. Novel flaps for ASB reconstruction are also briefly-described...
- Osteoid osteoma of the ethmoid sinus: a rare diagnosis
E Bradley Strong
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 91:E19-20. 2012
..The workup consisted of computed tomography. Treatment involved local excision via an external ethmoidectomy approach. The diagnosis was based on histopathologic examination...
- The relationship between pneumatized middle turbinate and the anterior ethmoid roof dimensions: a radiologic study
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 270:1365-71. 2013
..Pneumatized middle turbinate may cause an increase in the width of the anterior ethmoid roof and provide more reliable endoscopic intervention of the anterior skull base and frontal sinus...
- Frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele: surgical correction by the Chula technique
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:556-65; discussion 566-7. 2003
..8 percent; and postoperative increased intracranial pressure, 2.8 percent) were much less frequent than in other reports. With a mean follow-up period of 439 days (maximum, 12 years), there has been no recurrence...
- [Clinical study of decompression of optic nerve through combined orbit, ethmoid and sphenoid approach]
Second Affiliated Hospital of Fujian Medical University, Quanzhou 362000
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 15:546-7, 549. 2001
..Amaurosis shortly after trauma is a dangerous factor of poor prognosis, but it isn't impossible to improve vision if patients receive operation as early as possible...
- Osteoplastic Reconstruction of Post-enucleatic Microorbitalism
Ji Young Yun
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Inje University Busan Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Arch Plast Surg 39:333-7. 2012
..Anatomically, the orbit consist of parts of the frontal bone superiorly, the maxilla inferiorly, the ethmoid bone medially, and the zygoma laterally...