- Cranial bone grafts in cerebrospinal fluid leak and encephalocele repair: a preliminary report
William E Bolger
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA
Am J Rhinol 17:153-8. 2003
..Patients with large encephaloceles and skull base defects present a special challenge. We present our experience with cranial bone grafts in treating this important entity...
- Secondary craniofacial reconstruction of huge frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele after primary neurosurgical repair
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Iwate Medical University, Faculty of Medicine, 19 1 Uchimaru, Morioka, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 19:171-4. 2008
..We report on the surgical procedures and the problems encountered...
- Computed tomography of the anterior skull base in Kallmann syndrome reveals specific ethmoid bone abnormalities associated with olfactory bulb defects
Universite Paris Sud, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital de Bicetre, Service d endocrinologie et des maladies de la reproduction, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:E537-46. 2013
..Kallmann syndrome (KS) is characterized by congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (CHH) and an impaired sense of smell related to defective development of the olfactory system...
- Osteoid osteoma of the ethmoid bone associated with dacryocystitis
Vassilios A Lachanas
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Crete School of Medicine, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Head Face Med 2:23. 2006
Osteoid osteomas (OO) are small, benign osteoblastic lesions. Ethmoid bone OO has been very rarely reported so far.
- The role of endonasal surgery in the management of frontoethmoidal osteomas
Department of Ear, Nose and Throat Diseases, Head, Neck and Facial Plastic Surgery, Communication Disorders, Klinikum Fulda, Germany
Rhinology 39:66-70. 2001
..We favour the osteoplastic frontal sinus approach with coronal incision if an external approach is required to achieve tumour resection with the best aesthetic results...
- Case report: Aneurysmal bone cyst of the ethmoid bone
K A Hrishikesh
Department of Radiology, Jaslok Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai 400 012, India
Br J Radiol 75:916-8. 2002
..Very few cases of ABC of the paranasal sinuses have been reported in the literature. We present MRI findings of ABC of the ethmoid sinus in a 19-year-old male...
- Endonasal endoscopic resection of ethmoido-orbital osteoma compressing the optic nerve
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Am J Otolaryngol 24:408-12. 2003
..This approach could be judiciously used in large ethmoido-orbital osteomas in selected cases...
- Endoscopic endonasal resection of a midline intradural frontobasal dermoid tumour
Department of Neurosurgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy GATA, Ankara, Turkey
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 50:363-6. 2007
..Reconstruction is very important after the surgery and a carefully planned pedicled graft technique may help in the prevention of cerebrospinal fluid leakage...
- Surgical anatomy of the cribriform plate and adjacent areas
Applied and Clinical Anatomical Laboratory, Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:25-33. 2005
..The variations important in anterior skull base approaches are also discussed and compared with the data found in the literature. The surface anatomy and development of the cribriform plate is described...
- Uncommon anatomic variations in patients with chronic paranasal sinusitis
Ting Kuang Chao
Department of Otolaryngology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Pan Chiao, Taipei, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:221-5. 2005
..The correct identification and proper treatment for these variations are important...
- Images in clinical medicine. Left nasal discharge and meningitis
Gregory Youngnam Chang
121st U S Army General Hospital, Seoul 96205 0017, Korea
N Engl J Med 351:e19. 2004
- Telecanthus and hypertelorism in frontoethmoidal meningoencephaloceles and the surgical correction of these conditions: Part II. A novel surgical approach in the treatment of telecanthus
Department of Neurological Surgery, Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden, Germany
J Craniofac Surg 19:148-55. 2008
..The mean follow-up was 9 months (range: 5-16 months). The reader is further referred to our previous paper for interpreting the orbital measurement values in Khmer Cambodians as pertinent to TC or HT...
- [Orbital decompression for dysthyroid orbitopathy: a review of techniques and indications]
Service d Ophtalmologie et Chirurgie Plastique et Reconstructive, Fondation Rothschild, 25 29, rue Manin, 75019 Paris
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:828-44. 2004
..This article will describe the development of this procedure and will outline the surgical techniques and their complications. It emphasizes the multifactor indications for this procedure...
- Telecanthus and hypertelorism in frontoethmoidal meningoencephaloceles and the surgical correction of these conditions: Part I. An orbital anthropomorphometric evaluation of the Khmer subpopulation of Cambodia
Department of Neurological Surgery, Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden, Germany
J Craniofac Surg 19:137-47. 2008
..By means of a short literature review, we have attempted to reorganize the multiplicity of definitions in orbital measurements, as well as clarify the confusing terminology used in TC and HT...
- [Dysthyroid orbitopathy: imaging]
M P Boncoeur
Laboratoire d Imagerie Médicale, CHU Dupuytren, 2, avenue Martin Luther King, 87042 Limoges
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:815-8. 2004
..Using these imaging modalities, one can quantify orbital involvement in Graves disease. This analysis is based upon five items: proptosis, fat, muscles, optic nerve and ethmoid...
- Pneumocephalus and presumed meningitis following inconspicuous penetrating periocular trauma
Efstathios T Detorakis
Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 82:603-5. 2004
..To report a case of serious intracranial complications in an adolescent youth following a seemingly trivial periocular injury...
- Frontoethmoidal encephalocele: treatment and outcome
Ahmad Ridzwan Arshad
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hospital Kuala Lumpur, Jalan Pahang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Craniofac Surg 19:175-83. 2008
..There were two mortalities and five patients who had complications that needed secondary surgical intervention. Thirty-eight patients are still under follow up without any complaints...
- Monostotic fibrous dysplasia originating from ethmoid bone: treatment with endoscopic approach
Department of Otolaryngology, Yuzuncu Yil University, School of Medicine, Van, Turkey
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 113:139-41. 2004
..Endoscopic and transnasal removal of the mass with a drill was performed under general anesthesia. No residual tumor was observed 6 months later...
- Midfacial degloving approach for repair of naso-orbital-ethmoid and midfacial fractures
Department of Otolaryngology, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 6:133-5. 2004
..To demonstrate that the midfacial degloving (MFD) approach can provide the proper exposure to successfully reduce naso-orbital-ethmoid (NOE) and midfacial fractures while eliminating the need for external skin incisions...
- Craniofacial approaches to midfacial fractures
Lawrence J Marentette
Division of Facial and Plastic Reconstructive Surgery, University of Michigan Hospital, Ann Arbor 48109 0312, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 6:136. 2004
- Pilot study of a device for measuring instrument forces during endoscopic sinus surgery
Paul S White
University Department of Otolaryngology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Acta Otolaryngol 124:176-8. 2004
..In this article we describe the new forceps, present our preliminary results and explore the potential benefits of this new instrument...
- The transconjunctival approach for orbital bony surgery: in which cases should it be used?
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Jichi Medical School, 3311 1 Yakushiji, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 15:454-7. 2004
..The transconjunctival approach is best indicated in cases with an orbital medial wall fracture because it provides much easier access than any cutaneous approach...
- Cribra orbitalia visualized in computed tomography
Institute of Anatomy, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Königin Luise Str 15, D 14195 Berlin
Ann Anat 186:169-72. 2004
..Clinical research may now begin by examining relevant patients undergoing CT...
- Adult intranasal meningoencephalocele presenting as a nasal polyp
K Krishna Kumar
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai, India
J Clin Neurosci 12:594-6. 2005
..Based on a review of the literature, we emphasize that nasal obstruction may be the only presenting symptom of an intranasal meningoencephalocele...
- The analysis of anterior skull base from two different perspectives: coronal and reconstructed sagittal computed tomography
Osman Kursat Arikan
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kirikkale University, Kirikkale, Turkey
Rhinology 43:115-20. 2005
..These measurements may be helpful in the presurgical evaluation of patients undergoing endoscopic sinus surgery to optimize surgical safety...
- Perioperative management for surgical correction of frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele in children: a review of 102 cases
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Paediatr Anaesth 17:856-62. 2007
..The extruding mass results in a cutaneous expanding lesion and facial deformity. The objective of this study was to review perioperative management for surgical correction of this condition...
- Removal of an orbital apex hemangioma using an endoscopic transethmoidal approach: technical note
Department of Otolaryngology, Kagawa University Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa, Japan
Neurosurgery 59:ONSE159-60; discussion ONSE159-60. 2006
..Retrobulbar cavernous hemangioma was successfully removed by a transethmoidal approach...
- Direct orbital manometry in normal and fractured orbits of Chinese patients
Department of Ophthalmology, Shanghai Ninth People s Hospital, Medical School, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2282-7. 2007
- Computer modeling and intraoperative navigation in maxillofacial surgery
Annette M Pham
Department of Otolaryngology, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:624-31. 2007
..This study evaluates the use of preoperative computer modeling and intraoperative navigation to guide reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton...
- Endoscopic ligation of the anterior ethmoid artery
Steven D Pletcher
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Laryngoscope 117:378-81. 2007
- Computed tomographic and endoscopic analysis of supraorbital ethmoid cells
Beijing Institute of Otolaryngology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, PR China
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:562-8. 2007
..In addition, subjects with chronic rhinosinusitis with SOEC were reviewed for endoscopic analysis...
- A clinically applicable reporting system for the diagnosis of facial fractures
K E Follmar
Division of Plastic, Reconstructive, Maxillofacial, and Oral Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:593-600. 2007
..Adoption of this reporting system should improve communication between emergency medicine physicians, radiologists and surgeons...
- Radiological anatomy of the anterior ethmoidal artery for functional endoscopic sinus surgery
S E McDonald
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
J Laryngol Otol 122:264-7. 2008
..Where they could be identified, the relationship of these structures with the vertical height of the skull base, and their distance from an anterior landmark, were measured...
- A complex therapy for treatment of frontoethmoidal meningoencephalocele in a developing third world country: neurosurgical aspects
Departments of Neurosurgery and Cranio maxillofacial Surgery, Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital, Dresden, Germany
J Neurosurg 104:326-31. 2006
..The authors combined neurosurgical and craniofacial approaches for the development of a simple technique that corrects this type of meningoencephalocele in a one-step procedure that has not been discussed in the literature previously...
- Anterior encephaloceles: a series of 103 cases over 32 years
A K Mahapatra
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurosciences Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Clin Neurosci 13:536-9. 2006
..Twenty-two patients (22%) had postoperative CSF leak, of which five required lumboperitoneal shunt placement. We believe that hemiorbital advancement offers satisfactory results with less morbidity than the Tessier's operation...
- Outcomes of severely comminuted (type III) nasoorbitoethmoid fractures
Alan S Herford
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Loma Linda University, CA 92350, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1266-77. 2005
..PATENTS AND METHODS: Ten consecutive patients who sustained a comminuted NOE (type III) fracture were included in this study. All patients had comminution of the central fragment involving the detachment of the medial canthus...
- [Surgical techniques. Nose, paranasal sinuses, midface, orbits, hypophysis VI]
Laryngorhinootologie 84:705-11. 2005
- Ethmoid osteoma with frontal and orbital extension: endoscopic removal and reconstruction
Unit of Airway Endoscopic Surgery, Padua University Hospital, Padua, Italy
Acta Otolaryngol 125:1122-5. 2005
..A CT scan performed 6 months postoperatively showed good ventilation of the sinonasal cavity and effective reconstruction of the medial orbital wall...
- Endoscopic drainage of a superiorly based subperiosteal orbital abscess
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Universidade Luteranan do Brasil, Canoas, Brazil
Laryngoscope 118:162-4. 2008
- Severe posterior epistaxis-endoscopic surgical anatomy
Francini G M Pádua
Clinical Hospital of the Medical University of São Paulo, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Laryngoscope 118:156-61. 2008
..To describe the anatomy of the sphenopalatine foramen (SPF) region and possible anatomical variations...
- Orbital morphology in exophthalmos and exorbitism
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Hopital Foch, Suresnes, France
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:542-50; discussion 551-2. 2006
..High myopia can enhance proptosis. The purpose of this study was to provide values for orbital measurements from computed tomography and to suggest computed tomography criteria for nonsyndromic exorbitism...
- Correction of the frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele with minimal facial incision: modified Chula technique
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Craniofac Surg 17:353-7. 2006
..This study demonstrates a possibility of doing definitive surgery with minimal facial incision...
- Combined transcutaneous transethmoidal/transorbital approach for the treatment of medial orbital blowout fractures
Kwang Seog Kim
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1947-55. 2006
..However, its major disadvantage is the difficulty of accurately reducing the fractured medial orbital wall and herniated soft tissues with minimal morbidity...
- Frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocoele with colpocephaly: case report and clinical review
Otolaryngology Department, Silchar Medical College and Hospital, Silchar, Assam, India
J Laryngol Otol 122:321-3. 2008
..Early diagnosis and referral, involving multidisciplinary teamwork, are of paramount importance because of the distorting influence of the extruding mass on facial growth...
- [Trans-ethmoid meningocele diagnosed in adults. Description of one case]
C H Castaño-Duque
Servicio de Radiodiagnostico, Ciudad Sanitaria y Universitaria de Bellvitge, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Espana
Rev Neurol 25:230-3. 1997
..The transetmoidal can be a cause of rhinorrhea. The CT scan study of anterior fosa is a good method for diagnostic of this pathology, however, the IRM is the election method...
- Sphenoethmoidal encephalocele: a case report
D S Acherman
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 40:329-33. 2003
..This article documents the characteristics and treatment of an infant patient with a sphenoethmoidal encephalocele. An extracranial, transpalatal approach was used to eliminate the encephalocele...
- Frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele: surgical correction by the Chula technique
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:556-65; discussion 566-7. 2003
..8 percent; and postoperative increased intracranial pressure, 2.8 percent) were much less frequent than in other reports. With a mean follow-up period of 439 days (maximum, 12 years), there has been no recurrence...
- Bacterial meningitis secondary to a transethmoidal encephalocele presenting to the emergency department
Michael D Schwartz
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0769, USA
J Emerg Med 23:171-4. 2002
..The key features of the patient's past medical history, the steps to diagnosis, and a discussion of this exceedingly rare entity are detailed...
- Frontobasilar fractures in children
Unit of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, Center for Orbital Pathology, St Anna Hospital and University, Corso Giovecca 203, 44100, Ferrara, Italy
Childs Nerv Syst 20:168-75. 2004
..Fractures of the orbital roof, despite the common blow-out floor fractures, are considered uncommon events. In children younger than 7 years this pattern of fracture may be a consequence of nonpneumatized frontal sinuses...
- [The orbito-zygomatic craniotomy in the treatment of giant tumor penetrating from maxillary-ethmoidal region to the anterior cranial fossa]
, Sl. AM w Katowicach
Otolaryngol Pol 55:273-8. 2001
..As a result of this approach the possibility of whole tumour resection was obtained. Also, easy closure of anterior fossa and avoidance of the facial deformation was achieved...
- Midfacial degloving: an alternative approach for traumatic corrections in the midface
University Hospital of Cranio-Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical School, University of Vienna, Austria
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 30:272-7. 2001
..Midfacial degloving offers good exposure, specially of the central part of the midface, without leaving an external scar. It is useful for reconstructive procedures in patients after midface trauma...
- Extramedullary hematopoiesis within a frontoethmoidal encephalocele in a newborn with holoprosencephaly
V E Elgin
Department of Neurology, Division of Pediatric Neurology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 4:289-97. 2001
..EMH may have been induced from hematopoietic stem cells in the richly vascular meningeal component of the encephalocele, in response to anemia and hypoxia...
- A comparison of cranial base growth in Class I and Class II skeletal patterns
B M Wilhelm
Department of Orthodontics, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43218-2357, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 119:401-5. 2001
- A critical evaluation of the pitchfork analysis
Department of Orthodontics and Children s Dentistry, Centre for Dental and Oral Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Orthod 23:1-14. 2001
..These results indicate that the pitchfork analysis is not sufficiently sensitive to distinguish between the skeletal and dental effects of orthodontic treatment...
- Clinical signs of orbital wall fractures as a function of anatomic location
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:149-53. 2003
..The objective of this study was to see whether clinical signs of medial orbital wall fractures distinguished these fractures from fractures of the lateral orbital wall and the orbital floor...
- Extracranial correction of frontoethmoidal meningoencephaloceles: feasibility and outcome in 52 consecutive cases
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Hand Surgery, Burn Center, Klinikum Bogenhausen, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:386e-395e. 2008
..Conventional surgical therapy includes extracranial and intracranial approaches with frontal craniotomy or trepanation of the frontal bone...
- Posttraumatic enophthalmos: etiology, principles of reconstruction, and correction
Unit of Cranio Maxillo Facial Surgery, Centre for Craniofacial Deformities and Orbital Surgery, St Anna Hospital and University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 19:351-9. 2008
..The results were satisfactory in all cases. It is evident that a perfect correction of the deformity is difficult to achieve. Often soft tissue changes limit the aesthetic and morphologic results, despite adequate bony reconstruction...
- Frontoethmoidal encephalomeningocele: new morphological findings and a new classification
Chulalongkorn Craniofacial Center, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Craniofac Surg 14:847-58. 2003
..Each clinical entity is a final result of its own disease course (stable, progressive, or regressive FEEM), with a varying degree of communication between the external mass and the central nervous system...
- Morphological relationship between the cranial base and dentofacial complex obtained by reconstructive computer tomographic images
Department of Orthodontics, Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, Chiba, Japan
Eur J Orthod 25:385-91. 2003
..The length and inclination of the posterior cranial base, which is related to Ba, influenced the position of the glenoid fossa...
- Nasal bots...a fascinating world!
Carlos E Angulo-Valadez
Centro de investigaciones Biologicas des Nordeste, Mas bermejo 195, Col Playa de Santa Rita, La Paz, B C S 23090, Mexico
Vet Parasitol 174:19-25. 2010
..pupation, some other species migrate from eyes to blood before returning to nasal cavities either through the ethmoid bone (Gedoelstia hässleri) or via lungs and bronchi (Gedoelstia cristata)...
- Cranial base fracture and rhino cerebrospinmal fluid leakage. A case report
ENT Department G Ferreri, La Sapienza University, Rome IT taly
An Otorrinolaringol Ibero Am 34:35-44. 2007
..Since the cephalalgia persisted further CT examination was performed and revealed another fracture rima in the ethmoid bone. Nasal fibroendoscopy was performed again to close this fistula...
- Inadvertent intracranial insertion of a soft rubber tube in a patient with Treacher-Collins syndrome: case report and review of literature
Division of Neurosurgery, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1H 8 L1
Childs Nerv Syst 24:609-13. 2008
..and complete absence of maxillary sinuses, external auditory canal, middle ear and ossicles, and roof of ethmoid bone. There was a central cleft in the frontoethmoidal area. The inner ear and the semicircular canals were present...
- Report in Europe of nasal myiasis by Rhinoestrus spp. in horses and donkeys: seasonal patterns and taxonomical considerations
Department of Animal Health and Welfare, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Valenzano Bari, Italy
Vet Parasitol 122:79-88. 2004
..all stages, were collected from the throat region, the turbinates and beyond the lamina cribrosa of the ethmoid bone, in the cerebral cavity...
- Neural-dural transition at the medial anterior cranial base: an anatomical and histological study with clinical applications
Amos O Dare
Department of Neurosurgery, Louis Bakay Neuroscience Laboratory, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14209, USA
J Neurosurg 99:362-5. 2003
- Sectional anatomy of the olfactory pathways
C C Chen
Department of Human Anatomy, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, China
J Neurosurg Sci 54:39-44. 2010
..The purpose of this study was to provide practical anatomic data for imaging diagnosis of olfactory pathways and operation of nasal cavity and anterior cranial fossae...
- Balamuthia mandrillaris, an opportunistic agent of granulomatous amebic encephalitis, infects the brain via the olfactory nerve pathway
Albrecht F Kiderlen
Department of Infectious Diseases, Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Parasitol Res 94:49-52. 2004
..to adhere to the nasal epithelium, progress along the olfactory nerves, traverse the cribriform plate of the ethmoid bone, and finally infect the brain. A similar invasion pathway has been described for N. fowleri...
- Emil Zuckerkandl (1849-1910): anatomist and pathologist
Mohammadali M Shoja
Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases Research Center, Tabriz Medical University, Tabriz, Iran
Ann Anat 190:33-6. 2008
..the thyroid gland), Zuckerkandl's operation (perineal prostatectomy), Zuckerkandl's dehiscence (fissures in the ethmoid bone), and concha of Zuckerkandl (a rare nasal concha)...
- Combined use of crushed cartilage and processed fascia lata for dorsal augmentation in rhinoplasty for Asians
Yong Ju Jang
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Laryngoscope 119:1088-92. 2009
..This report describes our experience using combined Tutoplast-processed fascia lata (TPFL) and crushed cartilage for dorsal augmentation and contouring in rhinoplasty...
- [A rare case of cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea]
Oddział Otolaryngologii, Miedzyleski Szpital Specjalistyczny w Warszawie
Otolaryngol Pol 62:773-5. 2008
..Cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea is a result of a damage to bones and dura mater of the anterior cranial fossa base. In more than 90% it is of trauamatic etiology...
- [Nontraumatic ethmoid cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea complicating Sheehan syndrome]
Service d endocrinologie diabétologie, CHU Farhat Hached, Sousse, Tunisie
Presse Med 34:935-7. 2005
..Treatment of pituitary macroadenoma frequently leads to nontraumatic cerebrospinal fistula and rhinorrhea. We report an unusual case of rhinorrhea in a woman with Sheehan's syndrome...
- 2. An unusual death due to the impalement of a gear stick into the brain stem through the nasal cavity: a case report
Department of Legal Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Med Sci Law 45:176-8. 2005
..In the basal skull there was a notable perforation at the ethmoid bone together with the central part of the sphenoid bone including the sella turcica...
- Use of nasal septal bone to straighten deviated septal cartilage in correction of deviated nose
Yong Ju Jang
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 118:488-94. 2009
..often requires removal of the deviated part of the quadrangular cartilage and the perpendicular plate of the ethmoid bone or vomer. In most cases, the removed bone is discarded...
- Clinical significance of the sphenoidal process of the cartilaginous nasal septum: A preliminary morphological evaluation
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Clin Anat 23:265-9. 2010
..septum ossifies from cranial to caudal and from ventral to dorsal, thereby forming the perpendicular plate of ethmoid bone and vomer...
- [Study on computed tomography features of nasal septum cellule and its clinical significance]
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Affiliated Hospital of Luzhou Medical Collage, Luzhou, 646000, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 22:217-9. 2008
..To investigate the features of nasal septum cellule in computed tomographic (CT) images and its clinical significance...
- [The application of diethylstilbestrol injection in perforation of nasal septum]
Department of Otolaryngology, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Shanghai, 200080, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 21:1022-3. 2007
..To evaluate the repairing effect of ] diethylstilbestrol injection in mucosa injury of nasal septum...
- [Bilateral papilledema secondary to chronic lymphocytic leukaemia]
Servicio de Oftalmologia, Hospital Clinico Universitario San Carlos, Madrid, Espana
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 82:303-6. 2007
..magnetic resonance imaging of the brain and orbit were performed and showed an infiltrative mass in the orbit with extension to the ethmoid bone and both optic nerves. Biopsy of the mass was compatible with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Clinical prognostic factors of chronic rhinosinusitis after endoscopic sinus surgery
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Third Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, PR China
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 70:113-7. 2008
..We aimed to determine the clinical prognostic factors of chronic rhinosinusitis after endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS) in order to better guide the management of patients...
- Combined conchal cartilage-ethmoid bone grafts in nasal surgery
B R Neu
Division of Plastic Surgery at North York General Hospital and the University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:171-5. 2000
..Applying thin sheets of pliable ethmoid bone to conchal cartilage gives the cartilage greater strength and, at the same time, allows it to retain some ..
- Insights into a mummy: a paleoradiological analysis
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Dubrava University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 34:797-802. 2010
..Damage of the ethmoid bone at the roof of the nasal cavity was most likely caused by mortuary brain removal practice...
- [Spheno-ethmoidal rhinoscleroma. Report of a case and review of the literature]
CHU Charles Nicolle, Rouen
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 115:85-8. 1998
..Immunocytochemistry is used in any suspicious case with a negative culture. Antibiotics are the mainstay of therapy for several weeks, using ciprofloxacine or rifampicin, until the nasal biopsies demonstrated no Klebsiella organism...
- [Theoretic explanation about visual disorder induced by fibrous dysplasia of skull: pressure disequilibrium between lamina cribrosa]
Jing Wu Zhao
Department of Neurosurgery, Beijing Tongren Hospital Affiliated to Capital Medical University, Beijing 100730, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 90:1317-21. 2010
..To investigate the causes for changes in optic nerve head and visual impairment caused by fibrous dysplasia (FD) of optic canal stenosis...
- [Posttraumatic arteriovenous fistula of the orbit: a rare differential diagnosis of an orbital complication]
Abteilung für Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Klinikum Dachau, Krankenhausstrasse 15, 85221, Dachau, Deutschland
HNO 59:503-6. 2011
..of acute rhinogenic infection, computer tomography of the paranasal sinuses demonstrated a shadow on the ethmoid bone and ipsilateral maxillary sinus. Clinical investigation and laboratory parameters excluded an infection...
- [Chronic polypous rhinosinusitis: Genesis, clinical picture, therapy and relapse rate--a retrospective study]
P S Mauz
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, Universitat Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
HNO 55:551-6. 2007
- Asymmetry of the ethmoid roof: analysis using coronal computed tomography
R A Lebowitz
Department of Otolaryngology, New York, NY, USA
Laryngoscope 111:2122-4. 2001
..To determine the incidence and degree of asymmetry in the height and contour of the ethmoid roof...
- Highly effective unconventional management of aspergillosis of the left maxillary sinus in an 11-year-old girl with rhabdomyosarcoma embryonale of the frontal sinus
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
J Med Microbiol 62:652-4. 2013
..Simultaneous excision of necrotic tissues from the nasal cavity, ethmoid bone, maxillary sinus and frontal recess was performed...
- Undiagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus presenting with orbital cellulitis
Department of Ophthalmology, Central Middlesex Hospital, Park Royal, London, UK
Orbit 27:380-2. 2008
..The infection resolved following a course of intravenous antibiotics and with glycaemic control. To our knowledge, undiagnosed diabetes mellitus presenting with orbital cellulitis has not previously been reported...
- Long-term results following reconstruction of craniofacial defects with titanium micro-mesh systems
J J Kuttenberger
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kantonsspital Luzern, Switzerland
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 29:75-81. 2001
- [Recurrent meningitis in inner ear malformations]
Klinika Otolaryngologii, Szpital Uniwersytecki San Joan de Deu, Barcelona
Otolaryngol Pol 62:340-3. 2008
..Carefull obliteration of the Eustachian tube and both windows has been performed. Non- complicated postoperative course (2 months and 6 years - respectively) has prooved the effectiveness of applied treatment...
- Impact of chronic rhinosinusitis and endoscopic sinus surgery on bone remodeling of the paranasal sinuses
Seok Hyun Cho
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Hanyang University, Sengdong gu, Seoul, Korea
Am J Rhinol 22:537-41. 2008
..The aim of this study was to investigate radiological evidence of mucosal and bone remodeling and to assess the impact of recurrent rhinosinusitis after surgery on remodeling in patients with CRS...
- Treatment of frontoethmoidal meningoencephalocele in Cambodia: a low-cost procedure for developing countries
Franck Emmanuel Roux
Federation of Neurosurgery, Hopital Purpan, Toulouse, France
J Neurosurg 107:11-21. 2007
..The authors developed a low-cost humanitarian program with the goals of treating frontoethmoidal MECs, ensuring careful postoperative follow-up, and teaching Khmer surgeons how to treat these malformations...
- Revision of severe nasal trauma
John L Frodel
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, Pennsylvania 17822, USA
Facial Plast Surg 28:454-64. 2012
..We will then discuss coexistent deformities of perinasal regions in addition to functional and posttraumatic nasal correction, including posttraumatic periorbital deformities...
- [CT imaging of the anterior ethmoidal artery: anatomic correlation]
Service de Radiologie I, CHRU, Hopital de Hautepierre, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex
J Radiol 89:229-33. 2008
..To identify the anterior ethmoidal artery (AEA) of a skull specimen on CT prior to transnasal endoscopic surgical management of anterior epistaxis...
- [Surgical anatomy of the middle meatus and ethmoid]
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 46:253-61. 1992
..A simple and logical scheme of the ethmoid bone is presented...
- [Compensable occupational disease and cancer: how to improve the recognition rate? "Cursus Laboris" Project in Midi-Pyrenees: feasibility study]
Marie Eve Rougé-Bugat
Département universitaire de médecine générale, Toulouse, France
Bull Cancer 99:927-34. 2012
..Six returns were filed and actually recognized. The generalization of our device measures meet the Cancer Plan II 2009 to 2013 and may improve the number of cancers recognized as compensable occupational diseases...
- Integrating the roles of extracranial lymphatics and intracranial veins in cerebrospinal fluid absorption in sheep
Neuroscience Research, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, M4N 3M5, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Microvasc Res 67:96-104. 2004
..However, contrary to the established view, this pathway may represent a secondary system that is recruited to compliment lymphatic transport when global absorption capacity is stressed or compromised...
- Triple-layer reconstruction technique for large cribriform defects after endoscopic endonasal resection of anterior skull base tumors
Jean Anderson Eloy
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 3:204-11. 2013
..The technique is described and postoperative cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak rate is evaluated...
- [Endoscopic management of cerebrospinal fluid rhinorhea]
Klinika Otolaryngologii Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Białymstoku
Otolaryngol Pol 63:343-7. 2009
..Endoscopic surgery due to its high efficacy and relatively minor intraoperative trauma became a standard of transnasal csf leak treatment...
- Presence of wild-type and attenuated Salmonella enterica strains in brain tissues following inoculation of mice by different routes
Wendy S Bollen
Department of Biology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63130 4899, USA
Infect Immun 76:3268-72. 2008
..n.) immunization. Because of the proximity of the cribriform plate of the ethmoid bone, we were concerned that Salmonella bacteria delivered i.n. might access the brain...
- Establishment of osteoblast culture from human ethmoidal sinus
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Clinical Medical Science, Programs for Applied Biomedicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima City, 734 8551, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 30:45-51. 2003
..This study evaluates the development and establishment of an osteoblasts culture system derived from human ethmoidal sinus as an initial step toward verifying this hypothesis...
- The significance of cranial factors in diagnosis and treatment with the advanced lightwire functional appliance
Gavin A James
Int J Orthod Milwaukee 14:17-23. 2003
..These two cases have been chosen to illustrate the very considerable potential for change once the cranial lesions have been identified and their correction is planned as part of treatment...
- [Dacryocystitis as a complication of maxillofacial fracture repair with reconstruction]
Paweł K Burduk
Klinika Otolaryngologii Collegium Medicum UMK w Toruniu
Otolaryngol Pol 62:536-9. 2008
..The aim of the study is a revision of a case of darcyocystitis as a result of dislocation of cartilaginous implant after maxillofacial fracture repair. The author discussed the operative technique of this case...