Genomes and Genes
Summary: The largest of the TARSAL BONES which is situated at the lower and back part of the FOOT, forming the HEEL.
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Genetic variation in sex hormone genes influences heel ultrasound parameters in middle-aged and elderly men: results from the European Male Aging Study (EMAS)Kate L Limer
ARC Epidemiology Unit, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 24:314-23. 2009....
- Calcaneal quantitative ultrasound value for middle-aged and elderly Malaysian Chinese men and its association with age and body anthropometryKok Yong Chin
Department of Pharmacology, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Clin Densitom 15:86-91. 2012..Our study aimed to determine the values for one QUS parameter, the speed of sound (SOS) at the calcaneus, in Malaysian Chinese men and to determine the association between the SOS and several demographic ..
- Heel bone ultrasound predicts non-spine fracture in Japanese men and womenS Fujiwara
Department of Clinical Studies, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, 5 2 Hijiyama Park, Minami Ku, 732 0815, Hiroshima, Japan
Osteoporos Int 16:2107-12. 2005..QUS parameters can predict hip, wrist, and non-spine fracture up to 10 years...
- Quantitative ultrasound predicts hip and non-spine fracture in men: the MrOS studyD C Bauer
UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Osteoporos Int 18:771-7. 2007..We studied 5,607 older men and found that QUS predicts hip and any non-spine fracture risk nearly as well as BMD. Combined measurements of QUS and BMD are not superior to either measurement alone...
- Relationship between bone mineral density changes in pregnancy and maternal and pregnancy characteristics: a longitudinal studyWilliam W K To
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, United Christian Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 82:820-7. 2003..The BMD change during the pregnancy was then correlated with other maternal and pregnancy characteristics to identify any high-risk factors for bone loss in pregnancy...
- Effects of high-impact exercise on bone mineral density: a randomized controlled trial in premenopausal womenAki Vainionpää
Department of Medical Technology, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, 90014, Oulu, Finland
Osteoporos Int 16:191-7. 2005..The purpose of this randomized controlled study was to assess the effects of high-impact exercise on the bone mineral density (BMD) of premenopausal women at the population level...
- Determining the prevalence of osteoporosis and related factors using quantitative ultrasound in Vietnamese adult womenThi Thu Hien Vu
Division of International Public Health Nutrition, Institute of Health Biosciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Am J Epidemiol 161:824-30. 2005..of osteoporosis and related factors in Vietnamese adult women by using quantitative ultrasound at the heel bone (calcaneus)...
- A population-based study examining calcaneus quantitative ultrasound and its optimal cut-points to discriminate osteoporotic fractures among 9352 Chinese women and menJian min Liu
Department of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:800-9. 2012..No generally accepted thresholds for quantitative ultrasound (QUS) parameters to screen individuals at high risk of osteoporotic fractures have been defined...
- Association between alcohol consumption and bone strength in Korean adults: the Korean Genomic Rural Cohort StudyLi Hua Jin
Department of Preventive Medicine and Institute of Occupational and Environmental, Medicine, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, South Korea
Metabolism 60:351-8. 2011..Among Korean adults, alcohol consumption has a J-shaped relationship with risk of reduced bone strength...
- Treatment of chondroblastoma of the calcaneus with a secondary aneurysmal bone cyst using endoscopic curettage without bone graftingTakanobu Otsuka
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nagoya City University Medical School, Nagoya City, Japan
Arthroscopy 18:430-5. 2002Chondroblastoma is a relatively rare benign bone tumor. Approximately 7% of chondroblastomas occur in the calcaneus, and 17% of chondroblastoma associated with cystic lesions...
- Fracture of the calcaneus associated with talocalcaneal coalitionDavid Hakbum Kim
Department of Orthopaedics, Denver, CO 80205, USA
Foot Ankle Int 25:426-8. 2004
- Quantitative ultrasound in the assessment of bone status of patients suffering from rheumatic diseasesI Lernbass
Department of Pathophysiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Skeletal Radiol 31:270-6. 2002..To explore the effects of rheumatic diseases and glucocorticoids on bone mass a group of patients suffering from systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE, n=18) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA, n=22) were examined...
- The incorporation of allogeneic and autogenous bone graft in healing of lateral column lengthening of the calcaneusDavid Templin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Akron General Medical Center, Akron, OH, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 47:283-7. 2008..Allogeneic bone graft is rapidly integrated into native bone and is a desirable substitute to autogenous bone for use in lateral column lengthenings, avoiding any patient morbidity from graft harvesting...
- Fractures of the tuberosity of the calcaneusB Squires
Bristol Royal Infirmary, England, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 83:55-61. 2001We describe 24 fractures of the tuberosity of the calcaneus in 22 patients. Three were similar to the type of avulsion fracture which has been well-defined but the remainder represent a group which has been unrecognised previously...
- Age curves of bone mineral density at the distal radius and calcaneus in KoreansJin Young Min
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Institute of Health and Environment, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Bone Miner Metab 28:94-100. 2010..The BMD at the distal radius and calcaneus were measured with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, and anthropometric measures were also obtained...
- Quantitative ultrasound measurements at the calcaneus in natural and surgically induced menopauseBogna Drozdzowska
Department of Pathomorphology, Silesian School of Medicine, 3 Maja 13 15 Street, 41 800 Zabrze, Poland
Maturitas 53:107-13. 2006..The aim of the study was to assess skeletal status in natural and surgically induced menopausal women regarding the presence of previous osteoporotic fracture...
- Interobserver and intraobserver reliability of two classification systems for intra-articular calcaneal fracturesAnthony J Lauder
Orthopaedics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 1080, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:251-5. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the interobserver and intraobserver reliability of the Sanders and Crosby-Fitzgibbons classification systems, two commonly used methods for classifying intra-articular calcaneal fractures...
- A comparison of quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus with dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry in hospitalized orthopaedic trauma patientsCory A Collinge
Department of Orthopaedic Trauma, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital John Peter Smith Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program, Fort Worth, TX 76104, USA
J Orthop Trauma 24:176-80. 2010..Our purpose was to compare the usefulness of quantitative ultrasound of calcaneus (QUS) with dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) for identifying orthopaedic trauma patients at risk for ..
- Fixation of calcaneal avulsion fractures using screws with and without suture anchors: a biomechanical investigationGabriel E Khazen
Department of Orthopaedics, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:1183-6. 2007..This study compared the strength to failure of lag screws compared to lag screw fixation augmented with suture anchors in these fractures...
- Association of quantitative heel ultrasound with history of osteoporotic fractures in elderly men: the ESOPO studyM Varenna
Dipartimento di Reumatologia, Istituto Ortopedico Gaetano Pini, University of Milan, Via G Pini 9, 20122, Milan, Italy
Osteoporos Int 16:1749-54. 2005..The strength of the association between QUS measurement and fracture is similar to that observed in elderly women...
- Correlation of body growth and bone mineral density measured by ultrasound densitometry of the calcaneus in children and adolescentsTakahiko Nohara
Health Administration Center Izumo, Shimane University, Izumo, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 219:63-9. 2009..We herein report normative values of bone mineral density (BMD) for calcaneus obtained from a large cross-section sample in Japanese school children...
- Comparison of six calcaneal quantitative ultrasound devices: precision and hip fracture discriminationC F Njeh
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Osteoporos Int 11:1051-62. 2000..6-3.5), as were the area under the curve (SOS, 0.65-0.71; BUA, 0.62-0.71; BMD, 0.65-0.74) from ROC analysis. Within the limitation of the sample size all devices show similar diagnostic sensitivity...
- Avulsion fracture of the calcaneal tuberosity: a case report and literature reviewR Cole Beavis
University of Saskatchewan, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, 103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 0W8
Foot Ankle Int 29:863-6. 2008
- Calcaneal avulsion fractures: complications from delayed treatmentMatthew Hess
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45409, USA
Am J Emerg Med 26:254.e1-4. 2008..This case series presents 3 posterior tuberosity calcaneal avulsion fractures that led to skin necrosis because of a delay in treatment...
- Comparison of calcaneus ultrasound and dual X-ray absorptiometry in children at risk of osteopeniaKrista T Fielding
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
J Clin Densitom 6:7-15. 2003..Dual X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) is used most commonly for clinical assessments in children, but calcaneus ultrasound (CUS) is less costly, is free of ionizing radiation, and predicts fracture as well as DXA in adults...
- Bone status in rheumatoid arthritis assessed at peripheral sites by three different quantitative ultrasound devicesO R Madsen
Osteoporosis Research Clinic, Hvidovre University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Rheumatol 23:324-9. 2004..Speed of sound (SOS, m/s), broadband ultrasound attenuation (BUA, dB/MHz) and stiffness of the calcaneus were assessed by a Lunar Achilles device...
- Outcome of surgically treated intraarticular calcaneus fractures--SF-36 compared with AOFAS and MFSThomas Westphal
Department of Trauma Surgery, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Leipziger Strasse 44, DE 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Acta Orthop Scand 75:750-5. 2004There is no consensus as to which is the best treatment for intraarticular fractures of the calcaneus. Furthermore, few studies have assessed general health after calcaneus fractures...
- Ultrasound bone densitometry of the calcaneus in healthy Chinese children and adolescentsZ Q Zhu
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, School of Basic Medicine, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, 100005, People s Republic of China
Osteoporos Int 18:533-41. 2007..We evaluate reference data to examine whether there are sex-, age-, height-, weight- and BMI-related differences of quantitative ultrasound parameters (QUS) for healthy Chinese children and adolescents...
- [Sustentaculum tali screw placement for calcaneus fractures--different navigation procedures compared to the conventional technique]F Gras
Klinik für Unfall, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena
Z Orthop Unfall 148:309-18. 2010Precise placement of the sustentaculum tali screw is essential for fixation of calcaneus fractures to achieve the best fixation strength...
- Screening elderly women for risk of future fractures--participation rates and impact on incidence of falls and fracturesR J Barr
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Calcif Tissue Int 76:243-8. 2005..This form of screening may provide a cost-effective method to reduce falls and fractures in free-living elderly women. However, no such cost-effectiveness analysis has been performed to date...
- Precision control and seasonal variations in quantitative ultrasound measurement of the calcaneusYukihiro Ikeda
Department of Public Health, Kinki University School of Medicine, 377 2 Oono Higashi, Osaka Sayama, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 22:588-93. 2004..In a setting of community-based medical checkups using QUS devices, health professionals should measure the QUS indices of a subject after 60 min of rest in the examination room...
- Fixation of tendo Achilles avulsion fractureT H Lui
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, North District Hospital, 9 Po Kin Road, Sheung Shui, NT, Hong Kong SAR, China
Foot Ankle Surg 15:58-61. 2009..ruptures occur commonly in the midsubstance of the tendon, usually 2-6 cm proximal to the insertion to the calcaneus. Ruptures near its insertion into the calcaneus are less common and mostly found in hyperpronators with a heel ..
- Large bone distractor for open reconstruction of articular fractures of the calcaneusPawel Grala
Trauma, Burns and Plastic Surgery, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Int Orthop 33:1283-8. 2009The results of operative treatment of two groups of patients with articular fractures of the calcaneus were evaluated. Twenty-three cases were treated surgically using a standard reconstruction procedure...
- Calcaneus ultrasound measurements in a convenience sample of healthy youthA Sawyer
Department of Orthopedics, Boston Children's Hospital, Boston MA, USA
J Clin Densitom 4:111-20. 2001We examined age-related changes in quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus in 311 healthy males and females ages 6.6-20 yr using the Lunar Achilles ultrasound device...
- Calcaneus length determines running economy: implications for endurance running performance in modern humans and NeandertalsDavid A Raichlen
School of Anthropology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Hum Evol 60:299-308. 2011..We hypothesize that ER performance may have been reduced in Neandertals because they lived in cold climates...
- Older women track and field athletes have enhanced calcaneal stiffnessJ M Welch
Maine Center for Osteoporosis Research and Education, St Joseph Hospital, Bangor, Maine, USA
Osteoporos Int 16:871-8. 2005....
- Long-term functional outcomes after operative treatment for intra-articular fractures of the calcaneusMichael Q Potter
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Box 2923, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1854-60. 2009....
- Os calcis fractures: analysis of interobserver variability in using Sanders classificationAndrew Furey
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland
J Foot Ankle Surg 42:21-3. 2003..1992 Sanders developed a classification system based on coronal and axial computed tomography (CT) scans of the calcaneus. This classification is the one used most frequently today in treatment decision making and reporting of results...
- Quantitative ultrasound and trabecular architecture in the human calcaneusP H Nicholson
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Bone Miner Res 16:1886-92. 2001..modest but significant density-independent relationships between QUS and trabecular architecture in the human calcaneus for the first time, the causal relationships behind the variation in acoustic properties remain obscure...
- Morbidity associated with ORIF of intra-articular calcaneus fractures using a lateral approachE J Harvey
Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Foot Ankle Int 22:868-73. 2001This is a review of 183 patients with 218 displaced intraarticular fractures of the calcaneus treated by open reduction and internal fixation. One hundred and ninety four (89%) wounds underwent primary uneventful healing...
- Open reduction and internal fixation of displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneusPeng Ju Huang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Trauma 52:946-50. 2002Thirty-two displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus in 30 patients were treated with open reduction and internal fixation. Fracture classification was based on Sanders computed tomographic classification...
- Calcaneus fractures: a review articleJohn D Maskill
Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center Michigan State University Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 10:463-89, vi. 2005b>Calcaneus fractures are a significant burden to society. Assessment and treatment of these injuries has improved significantly...
- Factors affecting infection after calcaneal fracture fixationCharles M Court-Brown
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, United Kingdom
Injury 40:1313-5. 2009....
- Calcaneal ultrasound predicts early postmenopausal fractures as well as axial BMD. A prospective study of 422 womenJ Huopio
Department of Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, PO Box 1777, 70211, Kuopio, Finland
Osteoporos Int 15:190-5. 2004..59). The difference between AUCs was statistically significant between SI and lumbar BMD ( P=0.02, Duncan's P=0.07). We conclude that low calcaneal QUS predicts early postmenopausal fractures as well as or even better than axial BMD...
- Biomechanical consequences of lateral column lengthening of the calcaneus: Part I. Long plantar ligament strainKent R Dinucci
Libertyville Ankle and Foot Clinic, Libertyville, IL, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 43:10-5. 2004Lateral column lengthening of the calcaneus has been a powerful tool used to correct peritalar subluxation in symptomatic flat feet. The mechanical basis and limits for correction with this procedure are not well understood...
- A minimal subtalar approach to fix a calcaneal fracture and a lateral process of talus fracture in a diabetic obese patientShay Shabat
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Foot and Ankle Service, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Orthopedics 28:1373-4. 2005
- Relative motions of the tibia, talus, and calcaneus during the stance phase of gait: a cadaver studyAndrew J Hamel
Center for Locomotion Studies, Pennsylvania State University, 29 Recreation Building, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Gait Posture 20:147-53. 2004The motions of the tibia, talus, and calcaneus during walking were analyzed three-dimensionally using a dynamic cadaver model that recreates the stance phase of walking...
- Adult acquired flexible flatfoot, treated by calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis, posterior tibial tendon augmentation, and percutaneous Achilles tendon lengthening: a prospective outcome study of 20 patientsArie van der Krans
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop 77:156-63. 2006..Several methods for the treatment of acquired flexible flatfoot have been described...
- Significance of intima-media thickness in femoral artery in the determination of calcaneus osteo-sono index but not of lumbar spine bone mass in healthy Japanese peopleShinsuke Yamada
Department of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, 545 8585, Osaka, Japan
Osteoporos Int 16:64-70. 2005..BMD) in lumbar spine was measured by dual X-ray absorptiometry and the osteo-sono assessment index (OSI) of the calcaneus by ultrasound...
- Stress injuries of the calcaneus detected with magnetic resonance imaging in military recruitsMarkus J Sormaala
Centre of Military Medicine, P O Box 50, FIN 00301 Helsinki, Finland
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2237-42. 2006..Calcaneal stress injuries are fairly common overuse injuries in military recruits and athletes. We assessed the anatomic distribution, nature, and healing of calcaneal stress injuries in a group of military recruits...
- Adult stature reconstruction from the calcaneus of South Africans of European descentMubarak Bidmos
University of Witwatersrand, School of Anotomical Sciences, 7 York Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Gauteng 2193, South Africa
J Clin Forensic Med 13:247-52. 2006..This was achieved with lower accuracies compared to intact limb bones. The calcaneus, the largest of the foot bones, has been used for sex determination in Americans, Europeans and South Africans...
- The modified Palmer lateral approach for calcaneal fractures: wound healing and postoperative computed tomographic evaluation of fracture reductionAnuj Gupta
Peachtree Orthopaedic Clinic, Atlanta, GA, USA
Foot Ankle Int 24:744-53. 2003..elevation of the depressed lateral side of the posterior facet, reduction of the neck (anterior third of calcaneus) to the body (middle third of calcaneus), realignment of the posterior tuberosity, and reduction of lateral wall ..
- Radial forearm free flap for coverage of postoperative lateral heel wounds after open reduction and internal fixation of the calcaneusJody T Jachna
Section of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, MO 64113, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 42:276-81. 2003For intraarticular calcaneus fractures, open reduction and internal fixation has become commonplace for the reduction of morbidity of postinjury arthritis...
- Effect of methamphetamine abuse on the bone quality of the calcaneusY Katsuragawa
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, International Medical Center of Japan, Tokyo, Japan
Forensic Sci Int 101:43-8. 1999..Like other narcotics, it may have chronic effects on the human body, so, this study was planned to evaluate it by examining the bone quality of the skeletal system...
- Myxoid chondrosarcoma in the calcaneus: a case report with MR imaging findingsJong Won Kwon
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, 300 Gumidong, Bundang gu, Seong Nam, Gyeongi do 463 707, South Korea
Skeletal Radiol 36:S82-5. 2007..Herein, we report a case of a myxoid chondrosarcoma in the calcaneus of a 20-year-old man with a description of its MR imaging (MRI) and histological findings.
- Effects of medializing calcaneal osteotomy on Achilles tendon lengthening and plantar foot pressuresMark H Hadfield
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Foot Ankle Int 24:523-9. 2003..test the effects of MCO on Achilles tendon length changes 2 cm proximal to the Achilles tendon insertion on the calcaneus. Differential variable reluctance transducers were anchored in ventromedial, dorsomedial, dorsolateral, and ..
- Gonadal sex steroid status and bone health in middle-aged and elderly European menD Vanderschueren
Department of Andrology and Endocrinology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 21:1331-9. 2010..Higher free and total E(2) though not testosterone, were independently associated with higher QUS parameters...
- Surgical reconstruction of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction: prospective comparison of flexor digitorum longus substitution combined with lateral column lengthening or medial displacement calcaneal osteotomyRichard M Marks
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, United States
Gait Posture 29:17-22. 2009..Both procedures demonstrated comparable improvements in radiographic measurements...
- Calcaneal osteotomies for the treatment of adult-acquired flatfootJoel Hix
The Foot and Ankle Institute of Western Pennsylvania, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, 4800 Friendship Avenue, North Tower, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USA
Clin Podiatr Med Surg 24:699-719, viii-ix. 2007..Preoperative evaluation, indications, contraindications, surgical considerations and techniques are discussed...
- Plantar pressures in the forefoot after lateral column lengthening: a cadaver study comparing the Evans osteotomy and calcaneocuboid fusionTudor R Tien
Department of Orthopedics, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
Foot Ankle Int 26:520-5. 2005..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether there is a difference between the Evans opening wedge calcaneal osteotomy (Evans) and the calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis (CCDA) with respect to lateral forefoot loading...
- Percutaneous pin placement in the medial calcaneus: is anywhere safe?David Casey
Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Orthop Trauma 16:26-9. 2002..To redefine the medial calcaneal anatomic safe zone for pin placement with respect to reproducible palpable landmarks...
- Limited open reduction and internal fixation of displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneumM Weber
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Bern, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1608-16. 2008..There were no wound complications in this group, whereas four minor complications occurred in the second group. The accuracy and maintenance of reduction, and ultimate function were equivalent...
- Effects of hyaluronic acid on postoperative adhesion of tendo calcaneus surgery: an experimental study in ratsIbrahim Tuncay
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Karaelmas University Medicine Faculty, Zonguldak, Turkey
J Foot Ankle Surg 41:104-8. 2002..The effects of hyaluronic acid on adhesion formation of the tendo calcaneus were investigated in this study. Twenty Wistar rats were utilized...
- The anatomy of the calcaneus and surrounding structuresBrian J Keener
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Pennsylvania State University, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033 0850, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 10:413-24. 2005Appreciation of the normal anatomy of the calcaneus is significant for various reasons. Restoration of normal anatomy has been of particular interest for fracture care...
- Bone mineral density changes in gestational diabetic pregnancies-a longitudinal study using quantitative ultrasound measurements of the os calcisWilliam W K To
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, United Christian Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Gynecol Endocrinol 24:519-25. 2008..While gestational diabetic women had higher BMD loss than non-diabetic women, this was apparently secondary to other anthropometric factors rather than due directly to the gestational diabetic state...
- Wound-healing risk factors after open reduction and internal fixation of calcaneal fractures: does correction of Bohler's angle alter outcomes?F D Shuler
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 32:187-92, x. 2001....
- The contribution of the medial calcaneal osteotomy to the correction of flatfoot deformitiesM Nyska
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD, USA
Foot Ankle Int 22:278-82. 2001..Medial calcaneal osteotomy significantly decreases the arch-flattening effect of this tendon and therefore limits the potential increase of the deformity...
- Simple (unicameral) bone cyst of the calcaneus: a pathologic variant revisitedL Brannon Thomas
The University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, USA
Fetal Pediatr Pathol 27:141-7. 2008A 17-year-old girl was admitted to the hospital for surgery of an enlarging, painful mass of the left calcaneus. Preoperative imaging studies suggested either a simple (unicameral) or aneurysmal bone cyst...
- Functional outcome after surgical reconstruction of posterior tibial tendon insufficiency in patients under 50 yearsNazzar Tellisi
Hospital for Special Surgery, Foot and Ankle, New York, NY 10021, USA
Foot Ankle Int 29:1179-83. 2008..Pre- and postoperative activity levels were evaluated to assess the effect of surgical reconstruction in the younger patient...
- A comparison of lateral column lengthening and medial translational osteotomy of the calcaneus for the reconstruction of adult acquired flatfootPatrick M Bolt
Department of Surgery, University of Chicago Medical Center, IL, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:1115-23. 2007..This study compared the effects of lateral column lengthening and medial translational calcaneal osteotomy on pedal realignment and degeneration of adjacent hindfoot joints noted on radiographs...
- "Smile" incision: an approach for open reduction and internal fixation of calcaneal fracturesWilliam B Wiley
Department of Orthopaedics, Summa Health System, Akron, OH 44320, USA
Foot Ankle Int 26:590-2. 2005..Inclusion criteria were a closed displaced intra-articular fracture of the calcaneus, no compartment syndrome, and adequate followup. Followup ranged from 4 months to 4 years.
- Preliminary results comparing two methods of lateral column lengtheningR L Thomas
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Arkansas, Little Rock 72205, USA
Foot Ankle Int 22:107-19. 2001..However, the complication rate remains high with both methods, and the rate of nonunion and delayed union with the calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis method remains a significant problem with this technique...
- [3-D imaging with a mobile surgical image enhancement equipment (ISO-C-3D). Initial examples of fracture diagnosis of peripheral joints in comparison with spiral CT and conventional radiography]D Kotsianos
, , Nussbaumstrasse 20,
Unfallchirurg 104:834-8. 2001..Studies in an adequate number of patients are required to elucidate whether these promising results can also be obtained in a clinical setting...
- Adaptation of the human calcaneus to variations of impact forces during runningU G Kersting
German Sport University Cologne, Institute for Athletics and Gymanstics, Carl Diem Weg 6, 50933, Cologne, Germany
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 14:494-503. 1999The influence of varied forces under the heel induced by changes in midsole hardness on adaptations of the human calcaneus during running training was investigated.
- Interleukin-6 promoter polymorphism is associated with bone quality assessed by calcaneus ultrasound and previous fractures in a cohort of 75-year-old womenAnna Nordström
Sports Medicine, Department of Surgical and Perioperative Sciences, Umea University Hospital, 901 85, Umea, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 15:820-6. 2004..Quantitative ultrasound (QUS) was also measured in the calcaneus and quantified as speed of sound (SOS; m/s), broadband ultrasound attenuation (BUA; dB/MHz), and stiffness index ..
- Smoking and quantitative ultrasound parameters in the calcaneus in 36-year-old men and womenClaire M Bernaards
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine EMGO Institute, VU University Medical Center, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Osteoporos Int 15:735-41. 2004..7). BUA (dB/MHz) and SOS (m/s) of the calcaneus were assessed by using the CUBA Clinical instrument...
- Modification of the sinus tarsi approach for open reduction and plate fixation of intra-articular calcaneus fractures: the limits of proximal extension based upon the vascular anatomy of the lateral calcaneal arteryJohn E Femino
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitations, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242 1088, USA
Iowa Orthop J 30:161-7. 2010..Early surgical management to restore articular congruence and the structural function of the calcaneus is widely accepted as the best way to avoid the negative consequences of malunion...
- Open reduction for intra-articular calcaneal fractures: evaluation using computed tomographyTaketo Kurozumi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Jinno Hospital, Himeji, Japan
Foot Ankle Int 24:942-8. 2003..0497), increased height of fractured regions (p = .0249), better reduction of the posterior facet (p = .0126), and better reduction of the calcaneocuboid joint (p = .0023). Only the latter two were found to be surgical prognostic factors...
- Posterior calcaneal displacement osteotomy with lateral wall reductionRobert M Parks
The Department of Podiatry, Lovelace Medical Center, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 41:135-7. 2002
- [Pseudarthrosis of a calcaneus fracture: a case report]Lokman Karakurt
Firat Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Ortopedi ve Travmatoloji Anabilim Dali, Elazig
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 38:288-90. 2004Nonunion after a calcaneus fracture is rare. A forty-two-year-old man presented with complaints of extreme left heel pain on weight-bearing, that required him to use crutches...
- Displaced intra-articular calcaneal fracture treated surgically with limited posterior incisionI H Park
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kang Dong Sacred Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Foot Ankle Int 21:195-205. 2000..We also recommend a Circle draw test for evaluation of subtalar joint motion as well as an indicator of functional recovery after displaced calcaneal fractures...
- Calcaneal ultrasonometry in patients with Charcot osteoarthropathy and its relationship with densitometry in the lumbar spine and femoral neck and with markers of bone turnoverA Jirkovska
Diabetes Centre, Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Videnska 1958 9, CZ 140 00 Prague 4, Czech Republic
Diabet Med 18:495-500. 2001..To assess calcaneal ultrasonometry in Charcot osteoarthropathy (CO) and to compare it with densitometry measured by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) and with bone remodelling markers...
- Flexor digitorum longus transfer and medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy for posterior tibial tendon dysfunction: a middle-term clinical follow-upG P Guyton
Department of Orthopaedics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27516 7055, USA
Foot Ankle Int 22:627-32. 2001..We reviewed the results of 26 patients who had undergone the procedure at an average of 32 months prior to follow-up (range 12 to 70 months) with particular attention to objective functional parameters...
- Calcaneal loading during walking and runningV L Giddings
Mechanical Engineering Department, Stanford University, CA, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 32:627-34. 2000..This study of the foot uses experimentally measured kinematic and kinetic data with a numerical model to evaluate in vivo calcaneal stresses during walking and running...
- A study of 23 unicameral bone cysts of the calcaneus: open chip allogeneic bone graft versus percutaneous injection of bone powder with autogenous bone marrowIl Hyung Park
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Daegu, Republic of Korea
Foot Ankle Int 29:164-70. 2008..The purpose of this study was to compare the results of open chip allogeneic bone graft versus percutaneous injection of demineralized bone powder with autogenous bone marrow in management of calcaneal cysts...
- Preferential reductions of paraarticular trabecular bone component in ultradistal radius and of calcaneus ultrasonography in early-stage rheumatoid arthritisMasaaki Inaba
Department of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3, Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, 545 8585 Osaka, Japan
Osteoporos Int 14:683-7. 2003..BMD in lumbar spine was measured by dual X-ray absorptiometry and the osteo-sono assessment index (OSI) of the calcaneus by ultrasound...
- Lateral column lengtheningAndrew K Sands
St Vincent s Hospital, 170 West 12th Street, Spellman 7, Manhattan, New York, NY 10011, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 12:301-8, vi-vii. 2007..The purpose of this article is to review the lateral column lengthening procedure through a detailed explanation of the operation, the postoperative care, and the pitfalls and complications of the procedure...
- Calcaneal fracture classification: a comparative studyTim Schepers
Department of Surgery Traumatology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Foot Ankle Surg 48:156-62. 2009..Level of Clinical Evidence: 5...
- Heritability of calcaneal quantitative ultrasound measures in healthy adults from the Fels Longitudinal StudyMiryoung Lee
Lifespan Health Research Center, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45420, USA
Bone 35:1157-63. 2004..This study demonstrates that QUS measures of the calcaneus among healthy men and women are heritable, and there are large shared additive genetic effects among all of the ..
- Minimally-invasive treatment of intra-articular fractures of the calcaneumJ Stulik
Spinal Surgery Unit, University Hospital Motol, V, Uvalu 84, Prague, Czech Republic
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1634-41. 2006..9%) were able to return to their original occupation at a mean of 5.6 months (3.2 to 12.5) after the injury. Semi-open reduction and percutaneous fixation is an effective treatment for displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneum...
- Calcaneal fractures--open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF)Hans Zwipp
Trauma Department, University Hospital of Dresden, Germany
Injury 35:SB46-54. 2004..such as Leriche in 1921  and Judet et al in 1954  introduced screw or plate fixation of the broken calcaneus, surgical treatment using open anatomical reduction and stable internal osteosynthesis only commenced at the ..
- Bone mineral density during total contact cast immobilization for a patient with neuropathic (Charcot) arthropathyMary K Hastings
Program in Physical Therapy, School of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Phys Ther 85:249-56. 2005..The purpose of this case report is to describe the changes in bone mineral density (BMD) of the calcaneus in the feet of a patient with acute neuropathic arthropathy during total contact cast immobilization.
- [Fracture of the calcaneus]H Zwipp
Klinik und Poliklinik für Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie am Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus Dresden
Unfallchirurg 108:737-47; quiz 748. 2005Although screw or plate fixation of the fractured calcaneus was first described in the 1920s, surgical treatment using open anatomical reduction and stable internal fixation only commenced at the start of the 1980s...
- Trabecular bone structure of the calcaneus: comparison of MR imaging at 3.0 and 1.5 T with micro-CT as the standard of referenceCatherine M Phan
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, 400 Parnassus Ave, A 367, Box 0628, San Francisco, CA 94143 0628, USA
Radiology 239:488-96. 2006..0-T MR imaging with that of 1.5-T MR imaging in differentiating donors with spinal fractures from those without spinal fractures...
- The risk of Colles' fracture is associated with the collagen I alpha1 Sp1 polymorphism and ultrasound transmission velocity in the calcaneus only in heavier postmenopausal womenM Weichetova
Department of Internal Medicine 3, Charles University, Faculty of Medicine, U Nemocnice 1, 128 00 Prague, Czech Republic
Calcif Tissue Int 76:98-106. 2005..The effect of the COLIA1 Sp1 polymorphism and SOS on wrist fracture risk is more pronounced in patients with a higher body weight...
- Influence of age and osteoporosis on calcaneus trabecular bone structure: a preliminary in vivo MRI study by quantitative texture analysisS Herlidou
Unité de Génie Biophysique et Médical, Faculte de Medecine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Nord, Amiens, France
Magn Reson Imaging 22:237-43. 2004..The results suggest that relevant texture information (depending on the ROI localization in the calcaneus) can be extracted from calcaneus MR images to evaluate osteoporosis and age effects on trabecular bone structure ..
- Clinical interest of bone texture analysis in osteoporosis: a case control multicenter studyE Lespessailles
Ipros Service de Rhumatologie CHR d Orléans, Orleans, France
Osteoporos Int 19:1019-28. 2008..We have found that the combination of BMD and texture parameter values provided a better assessment of the fracture risk than that obtainable solely by BMD measurement...
- Bone texture analysis on direct digital radiographic images: precision study and relationship with bone mineral density at the os calcisE Lespessailles
Institut de Prévention et de Recherche de l Ostéoporose, Service de Rhumatologie CHR d Orléans, 1 rue porte madeleine 4500 Orléans, France
Calcif Tissue Int 80:97-102. 2007..The results also show that the use of this high-resolution digital X-ray device improves the reproducibility of parameter measurement compared to the indirect digitization of radiologic films previously used...
- Quantitative magnetic resonance imaging in the calcaneus and femur of women with varying degrees of osteopenia and vertebral deformity statusFelix W Wehrli
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Bone Miner Res 17:2265-73. 2002..R2* was measured in the calcaneus and proximal femur and BVF could be measured in the calcaneus only...
- Management of soft-tissue complications of the lateral approach for calcaneal fracturesPedro C Cavadas
Division of Reconstructive Surgery, Clínica Aston, Valencia, Spain
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:459-66; discussion 467-9. 2007..Soft-tissue complications after using the lateral approach for internal fixation of calcaneal fractures are relatively frequent, even in skilled hands. The global management of these wounds has never been standardized...
- Functional outcome of patients following open reduction internal fixation for bilateral calcaneus fracturesMatthew G Zmurko
Wayne State University, Detroit Receiving Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, MI, USA
Foot Ankle Int 23:917-21. 2002Treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneus fractures has historically been controversial, but recent developments have led to resurgence in open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) for displaced calcaneus fractures...
- RISK FACTORS FOR AGED RELATED BONE LOSSDouglas Kiel; Fiscal Year: 2000..and at Exam 24 in the original cohort; and (4) to compare measures of quantitative ultrasound (QUS) of the calcaneus between members of the Original Cohort who attend Exam 24 and those who are unable to attend the exam to ..
- In-vivo MR Tractography and FEM Study of Human Lower LegShantanu Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2007..of insertion will be less than the linear displacement of the Achilles' tendon insertion point on the calcaneus due to a sling factor that is intrinsic to the musculotendinous-skeletal anatomy...
- In-vivo MR Tractography and FEM Study of Human Lower LegShantanu Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2009..of insertion will be less than the linear displacement of the Achilles' tendon insertion point on the calcaneus due to a sling factor that is intrinsic to the musculotendinous-skeletal anatomy...
- X-Ray Scattering Bone DensitometryMIODRAG KRMAR; Fiscal Year: 2006..Despite the potential and promise of CCSR, it has only been applied in-vivo to the calcaneus using an obsolete configuration...
- Vertebral Fracture: Trabecular Bone Structure AssessmentSharmila Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 2006..100x300 microns so as to accurately quantify the 3-D architecture of the trabecular bone network in the radius, calcaneus and proximal femur, and perform a rigorous evaluation of the impact of these data on the pathophysiological ..
- MRI-Based Virtual Bone BiopsyFelix Wehrli; Fiscal Year: 2005..volume comprising trabecular bone and marrow at a peripheral surrogate site (distal radius, distal tibia, calcaneus) and at a resolution sufficient to resolve the structural elements...
- Enhancing Bone Quality Assessment Using Quantitative UltrasoundJAMES GEGAN MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2010..identified three specific aims: 1) Identify, segregate, and overcome limitations of current transmission-based calcaneus sonometry arising from phase cancellation at the receiving transducer, 2) implement Bayes inversion of the ..
- A SCHOOL PROGRAM TO ENHANCE BONE HEALTH IN GIRLSDeanna Hoelscher; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hypothesized that students in intervention schools will, on average, (1) have a 3% greater calcaneus ultrasound Stiffness Index, (2) consume 2 more servings/day of calcium- containing foods, and (3) engage in 17 ..
- Changes in the Characteristics of Plantar Soft Tissue with DiabetesWILLIAM LEDOUX; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, not only is there a large diabetic population in the United States (> 6%), but they also account for a disproportional amount (>60%) of all non-traumatic lower extremity amputations. ..
- Biomarker Research in Musculoskeletal DiseaseDouglas Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Funding of this K24 will allow Dr. Bauer to reduce his clinical and administrative responsibilities, and focus his efforts on promoting and teaching patient-oriented research. ..
- Bone Turnover and Fracture Risk in MenDouglas Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2007..These analyses will address critical questions about the pathogenesis of spine and non-spine fracture in men, and will determine the clinical utility of bone turnover measurements in this population. ..
- Clinical Trial of Vitamin D3 to Reduce Cancer Risk in Postmenopausal WomenJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2011..It specifically addresses Strategic Objective 2, to "accelerate progress in cancer prevention." Positive findings from our proposed nutritional intervention study will result in an inexpensive, safe method of preventing cancer. ..
- THE EFFECTS OF RETAINED LEAD BULLETS ON BODY LEAD BURDENStephen Rothenberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..The patient will have K- shell X ray florescence determination of bone lead in the tibia and calcaneus in order to determine past lead exposure not revealed by medical history and risk factor questionnairer...
- STUDY OF OSTEOPOROTIC FRACTURESKristine Ensrud; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Peripheral Nerve Function Decline in an Aged CohortElsa Strotmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Role of a novel IKK-related kinase in inflammationSusan Sweeney; Fiscal Year: 2007..Studies of the intracellular pathways activated in RA might lead to prevention and development of novel therapies for this chronic, debilitating disease. ..
- Outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older Men-MinneapolisKristine Ensrud; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also supplement the bank of MrOS specimens to allow for testing of future hypotheses concerning the role of sleep in the development of age-related diseases and conditions. ..
- OSTEOPOROSIS IN MENKristine Ensrud; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Efficacy of Optimal Levels of Dietary Dairy on Modulation of Adolescent WeightJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such a dairy intervention would be congruent with currently recommended calcium and dairy intake. ..
- Peripheral Nerve Function Decline in an Aged CohortElsa Strotmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- STUDY OF OSTEOPOROTIC FRACTURESKristine Ensrud; Fiscal Year: 2009..The SOF Coordinating Center was funded for 5 years; SOF clinical centers for 3 years. In order to meet these aims, two years of support is requested for the SOF clinical centers. ..
- Ultrasonic Assessment of the ForearmJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed research should enable bone testing to be done conveniently and safely in a primary care setting. This should lead to earlier detection and treatment and ultimately to reductions in the number of fractures. ..
- Clinical 3D Ultrasonic Assessment of the PhalangesJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study should allow development of a clinical prototype for non-invasive assessment of bone strength and fracture risk. ..
- Calcium Foods and Bone Health of Adolescent GirlsJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2003..Negative findings would provide support for further research into other methods of concomitant methods of maximizing skeletal development. ..
- 3D and 3D-Axisymmetric Ultrasound Simulation SoftwareJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Applications broader than bone and osteoporosis, such as in non-destructive testing in general, would be expected to significantly increase. ..
- Botulinum Toxin Effects on Plantar Ulcer RecurrenceMary Hastings; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- EXERCISE AND CALCIUM EFFECT ON PUBERTAL BONE GAINJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2006..If these findings hold, they would provide strong support for the essential role of calcium in addition to exercise in maximizing bone mass in growing females. ..
- A New System for Ultrasonic Bone AssessmentJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultrasound's importance will grow as various new pharmacologic agents are approved for treatment, thus requiring periodic assessments of efficacy. ..
- HLA Region Genetics and SLE in U.S. Black WomenLynn Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- A New 2D Array System for Ultrasonic Bone AssessmentJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Prevention of Adult Caries Study (PACS) Tuba City Clinical CenterKathy Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2007..Please refer to the Administrative Center Application for a complete description of the study Protocol and Manual of Procedures. ..
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwKathryn Ryder; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will be a double-blinded placebo-controlled trial of Mg (500 mg/day) in 92 healthy men and women between the ages of 55-75. ..
- INJECTABLE CONTRACEPTIVES AND BONE ULTRASOUND MEASURESLynn Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Millions of women worldwide have used IPCs. Given the heavy burden of osteoporotic fractures in elderly women, it is of public health importance to determine whether IPCs have an adverse effect on bone. ..