Genomes and Genes
Summary: The largest of the TARSAL BONES which is situated at the lower and back part of the FOOT, forming the HEEL.
Publications311 found, 100 shown here
- Quantitative ultrasound of the heel and fracture risk assessment: an updated meta-analysisA Moayyeri
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Osteoporos Int 23:143-53. 2012..These predictions are independent of the risk estimates from hip DXA measures...
- The effects of age, physical activity level, and body anthropometry on calcaneal speed of sound value in menKok Yong Chin
Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Arch Osteoporos 7:135-45. 2012..The influences of age, physical activity, and body anthropometry on calcaneal speed of sound are different among young adults, middle-aged, and elderly men...
- Genetic variation in sex hormone genes influences heel ultrasound parameters in middle-aged and elderly men: results from the European Male Aging Study (EMAS)Kate L Limer
ARC Epidemiology Unit, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 24:314-23. 2009....
- Absolute fracture-risk prediction by a combination of calcaneal quantitative ultrasound and bone mineral densityMei Y Chan
Osteoporosis and Bone Biology Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Calcif Tissue Int 90:128-36. 2012..These results suggest that calcaneal QUS is an independent predictor of fracture risk and that a combination of QUS and BMD measurement could improve the predictive accuracy of fracture risk in elderly women...
- Prediction of total and hip fracture risk in men and women by quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus: EPIC-Norfolk prospective population studyKay Tee Khaw
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Institute of Public Health, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, Cambridge, UK
Lancet 363:197-202. 2004..We aimed to assess quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneum and fracture incidence in a prospective observational population study...
- Calcaneal quantitative ultrasound value for middle-aged and elderly Malaysian Chinese men and its association with age and body anthropometryKok Yong Chin
Department of Pharmacology, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Clin Densitom 15:86-91. 2012..Our study aimed to determine the values for one QUS parameter, the speed of sound (SOS) at the calcaneus, in Malaysian Chinese men and to determine the association between the SOS and several demographic ..
- Heel bone ultrasound predicts non-spine fracture in Japanese men and womenS Fujiwara
Department of Clinical Studies, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, 5 2 Hijiyama Park, Minami Ku, 732 0815, Hiroshima, Japan
Osteoporos Int 16:2107-12. 2005..QUS parameters can predict hip, wrist, and non-spine fracture up to 10 years...
- Quantitative ultrasound predicts hip and non-spine fracture in men: the MrOS studyD C Bauer
UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Osteoporos Int 18:771-7. 2007..We studied 5,607 older men and found that QUS predicts hip and any non-spine fracture risk nearly as well as BMD. Combined measurements of QUS and BMD are not superior to either measurement alone...
- Relationship between bone mineral density changes in pregnancy and maternal and pregnancy characteristics: a longitudinal studyWilliam W K To
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, United Christian Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 82:820-7. 2003..The BMD change during the pregnancy was then correlated with other maternal and pregnancy characteristics to identify any high-risk factors for bone loss in pregnancy...
- Effects of high-impact exercise on bone mineral density: a randomized controlled trial in premenopausal womenAki Vainionpää
Department of Medical Technology, University of Oulu, PO Box 5000, 90014, Oulu, Finland
Osteoporos Int 16:191-7. 2005..The purpose of this randomized controlled study was to assess the effects of high-impact exercise on the bone mineral density (BMD) of premenopausal women at the population level...
- Outcome of calcaneal fractures treated operatively and non-operatively. the effect of litigation on outcomesB S Thornes
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Waterford Regional Hospital, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 171:155-7. 2002..The optimum management of calcaneal fractures is controversial. These injuries are frequently associated with compensation litigation, which effects the outcome...
- Calcaneal loading during walking and runningV L Giddings
Mechanical Engineering Department, Stanford University, CA, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 32:627-34. 2000..This study of the foot uses experimentally measured kinematic and kinetic data with a numerical model to evaluate in vivo calcaneal stresses during walking and running...
- Determining the prevalence of osteoporosis and related factors using quantitative ultrasound in Vietnamese adult womenThi Thu Hien Vu
Division of International Public Health Nutrition, Institute of Health Biosciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Am J Epidemiol 161:824-30. 2005..of osteoporosis and related factors in Vietnamese adult women by using quantitative ultrasound at the heel bone (calcaneus)...
- Review of comparative studies between bone densitometry and quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus in osteoporosisMichelle Flöter
Orthopedics Department, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas, Brazil
Acta Reumatol Port 36:327-35. 2011To assess the utility of quantitative ultrasound (QUS) of the calcaneus for diagnosing osteoporosis compared to the gold standard, bone densitometry using dual-emission X-ray absorptiometry (DXA), according to published reports.
- [Subtalar arthrodesis with calcaneal osteotomy]H Zwipp
Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307, Dresden
Orthopade 35:387-98, 400-4. 2006The amount of postraumatic deformities of the calcaneus after fracture is classified in 5 types (Type I-V)...
- Fractures of the calcaneusDavid P Barei
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 33:263-85, x. 2002..This article extensively reviews the controversies and summarizes the current opinions in the management of displaced calcaneal fractures...
- The distributed plantar vertical force of neutrally aligned and pes planus feetWilliam R Ledoux
RR and D Center for Excellence in Limb Loss Prevention and Prosthetic Engineering, University of Washington, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Gait Posture 15:1-9. 2002..Pes planus feet had significantly more force at the subhallucal area with no difference seen under the other areas. These data are indicative of aberrant first ray mechanics in pes planus feet...
- The primary arthrodesis for severely comminuted intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus: a systematic reviewT Schepers
Erasmus MC University Medical Centre, Department of Surgery Traumatology, Room H 822k, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Foot Ankle Surg 18:84-8. 2012..The primary aim of the current review study was to assess the functional outcome of the primary arthrodesis in the management of comminuted displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures...
- A nomogram for predicting osteoporosis risk based on age, weight and quantitative ultrasound measurementC Pongchaiyakul
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, 40002, Thailand
Osteoporos Int 18:525-31. 2007..This study examined the prognostic value of combined QUS and clinical risk index for predicting osteoporosis risk in Thai women...
- Technical tip: percutaneous fixation of sustentacular fractures of the calcaneusSteven J Lawrence
University of Kentucky, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 740 South Limestone, Kentucky Clinic, Suite K401, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:524-6. 2007
- Body mass index, calcium intake, and physical activity affect calcaneal ultrasound in healthy Greek males in an age-dependent and parameter-specific mannerEirini Babaroutsi
Laboratory of Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, 70 El Venizelou Avenue, 17671, Athens, Greece
J Bone Miner Metab 23:157-66. 2005..In conclusion, body size, dietary calcium intake, and physical activity patterns seem to inconsistently and age-dependently influence heel QUS among healthy Greek males in a parameter-specific manner...
- Discrepancy between the quantitative ultrasound value of Malaysian men and the manufacturer's reference and the impact on classification of bone health statusKok Yong Chin
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Clin Densitom 16:189-95. 2013..05). In conclusion, the overall normative value of SOS obtained was suitable for Chinese and Malay men in Malaysia, and a local reference value should be applied to avoid misclassification of subjects into the respective risk groups...
- Is there a reliable outcome measurement for displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures?Bernd J Kinner
Department of Surgery, Robert Bosch Krankenhaus, Stuttgart, Germany
J Trauma 53:1094-101; discussion 1102. 2002..The goal of this study, therefore, was to compare different outcome measurements with gait analysis, using dynamic pedography...
- Quantitative ultrasound measurements of bone: measurement error, discordance, and their effects on longitudinal studiesJ Zochling
Institute of Bone and Joint Research, University of Sydney, Australia
Osteoporos Int 15:619-24. 2004..However, diagnosis by T-score criteria was instrument specific, and such criteria should be interpreted with caution in the assessment of fracture risk...
- Bone structure of the calcaneus: analysis with magnetic resonance imaging and correlation with histomorphometric studyNathalie Boutry
Department of Bone Radiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Lille, 59037, Lille Cedex, France
Osteoporos Int 15:827-33. 2004The purpose of this study was to compare structural measurements obtained from MR images of the calcaneus with those obtained from conventional histomorphometry...
- Correlation of osteoporosis screening by quantitative ultrasound of calcaneus and Osteoporosis Self-Assessment Tool for Asians in TaiwaneseNan Ping Yang
Community Medicine Research Center and Institute of Public Health, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 103:130-6. 2004..Calcaneal quantitative ultrasound (QUS) is another simple and low-cost instrument used to prescreen osteoporotic subjects. This study investigated the correlation between these 2 screening methods...
- Does quantitative ultrasound of bone reflect more bone mineral density than bone microarchitecture?B Cortet
Department of Rheumatology, Hopital R Salengro, University Hospital of Lille, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Calcif Tissue Int 74:60-7. 2004..of bone (QUS), bone mineral density (BMD) and bone microarchitecture have been poorly investigated in human calcaneus.Twenty-four specimens, from 12 men and 12 women (mean age 78 +/- 10 years; range 53-93), removed from cadavers ..
- Ultrasonic characterization of human cancellous bone using transmission and backscatter measurements: relationships to density and microstructureS Chaffai
Laboratoire d Imagerie Paramétrique UMR 7623 CNRS Université Paris, Paris, France
Bone 30:229-37. 2002..The source for the unaccounted variance of quantitative ultrasound (QUS) parameters remains unknown...
- Discriminative capacity of calcaneal quantitative ultrasound and of osteoporosis and fracture risk factors in postmenopausal women with osteoporotic fracturesJ L Hernandez
Departamento de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Calcif Tissue Int 74:357-65. 2004....
- Fractures of the calcaneum. A review of 70 patientsM Paul
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Rue Micheli du Crest 24, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:1142-5. 2004..Open reduction and internal fixation of intra-articular calcaneal fractures can only be expected to benefit those patients in whom nearly anatomical reconstruction is obtained...
- Reference data for quantitative ultrasound values of calcaneus in 2927 healthy Chinese menZi Qiang Zhu
Department of Pathophysiology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, 5 Dong Dan San Tiao, Beijing 100005, China
J Bone Miner Metab 26:165-71. 2008..The descending velocity of curves for Chinese men was lower than that of Italian and Japanese men. In conclusion, QUS values of the calcaneus provided by the present study may be used as normal reference values for Chinese men.
- Mechanical stress redistribution in the calcaneus after autologous bone harvestingJ Bayod
Group of Structural Mechanics and Materials Modeling, Aragon Institute for Engineering Research I3A, University of Zaragoza, Spain
J Biomech 45:1219-26. 2012The calcaneus is a desirable site for harvesting autologous bone for use in foot surgery. However, fracture of the calcaneus is a serious complication associated with bone harvesting from this site...
- Controversies in calcaneus fracture management: a systematic review of the literatureMandeep S Dhillon
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, PGIMER, Chandigarh 160012, India
Musculoskelet Surg 95:171-81. 2011Despite the fact that the calcaneus is the commonest tarsal bone fractured, many controversies exist in the literature regarding the management options...
- Balloon reduction and cement fixation in intra-articular calcaneal fractures: a percutaneous approach to intra-articular calcaneal fracturesFrédéric Jacquot
Department of Orthopedics, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Int Orthop 35:1007-14. 2011..However, accurate subtalar joint reduction, while mandatory, is difficult to achieve, requires an extensive lateral approach, and clinical results may not be up to the difficulty of the task...
- Quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus in greek women: normative data are different from the manufacturer's normal rangeGeorge Trovas
Laboratory for the Research of Musculoskeletal Systems, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Clin Densitom 12:353-9. 2009..The aim of the present study was to establish the reference data for the QUS measurements of the calcaneus in a Greek population...
- Predictive values of calcaneal quantitative ultrasound and dual energy X ray absorptiometry for non-vertebral fracture in older men: results from the MrOS study (Hong Kong)T Kwok
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, China
Osteoporos Int 23:1001-6. 2012..Calcaneal QUS is comparable to DXA in predicting non-vertebral fractures in older Chinese men...
- Influence of bone remodelling rate on quantitative ultrasound parameters at the calcaneus and DXA BMDa of the hip and spine in middle-aged and elderly European men: the European Male Ageing Study (EMAS)Steven Boonen
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, UZ Leuven Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Endocrinol 165:977-86. 2011..To assess the influence of sex hormones on markers of bone turnover and to explore the association between these markers and bone health in middle-aged and elderly European men...
- Does the trabecular bone structure depicted by high-resolution MRI of the calcaneus reflect the true bone structure?V Vieth
Department of Clinical Radiology, University of Muenster, Muenster Germany
Invest Radiol 36:210-7. 2001..The purpose of this study was to compare trabecular bone structure parameters assessed with high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging (HR-MRI) with those determined in specimen sections...
- Quantitative ultrasound and bone healthKaren M Knapp
University of Exeter, United Kingdom
Salud Publica Mex 51:S18-24. 2009..Whilst DXA remains the gold standard for the diagnosis of osteoporosis, QUS may be of use for the prediction of those at risk of future fracture in areas where there is limited availability of DXA...
- Performance of calcaneus quantitative ultrasound and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in the discrimination of prevalent asymptomatic osteoporotic fractures in postmenopausal womenA El Maghraoui
Rheumatology and Physical Rehabilitation Department, Military Hospital Mohammed V, Rabat, Morocco
Rheumatol Int 29:551-6. 2009..The combination of QUS and BMD did not improve the diagnostic ability of either individual technique...
- Influence of pregnancy on bone density: a risk factor for osteoporosis? Measurements of the calcaneus by ultrasonometryBernhard Kraemer
University Hospital for Women, University of Tuebingen, Calwerstr 7, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 285:907-12. 2012..The study aim was to investigate whether there is a significant alteration in maternal bone density during normal pregnancy...
- Quantitative ultrasonometry of the calcaneus in children with osteogenesis imperfectaStepan Kutilek
Department of Paediatrics, Pardubice Hospital, Pardubice, Charles University in Prague, Medical Faculty, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
J Paediatr Child Health 46:592-4. 2010..The aim was to evaluate calcaneal quantitative ultrasonometry (QUS) parameters in children with OI and to look for relationship with the number of prevalent fractures...
- Acceleration of the calcaneus at heel strike in neutrally aligned and pes planus feetW R Ledoux
Rehabilitation Research and Development Center, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, MS 151, 1660 South Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 16:608-13. 2001The purpose of this research was twofold: (1) to study the impulsive acceleration of the calcaneus at heel strike in subjects with neutrally aligned (i.e...
- Surgical treatment of calcaneal fractures with use of beta-tricalcium phosphate ceramic graftingSheng Dan Jiang
Foot Ankle Int 29:1015-9. 2008..The treatment of calcaneal fractures is challenging. Internal fixation and grafting with sintered beta-tricalcium phosphate (beta-TCP) ceramic is alternative to bone grafting in the treatment of calcaneal fractures...
- Relationships of quantitative ultrasound parameters with cancellous bone microstructure in human calcaneus in vitroKeith A Wear
U S Food and Drug Administration, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, 10903 New Hampshire Boulevard, Silver Spring, Maryland 20993, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 131:1605-12. 2012..backscatter), bone mineral density (BMD), and microarchitectural features were measured on 29 human cancellous calcaneus samples in vitro...
- Influence of pre-adolescent diet on quantitative ultrasound measurements of the calcaneus in young adult womenM C Wang
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, California, USA
Osteoporos Int 9:532-5. 1999..QUS parameters measured at the calcaneus in a convenience subsample of 63 18- to 19-year-old black and white women were correlated with dietary data ..
- Current concepts review: intra-articular fractures of the calcaneusNoah Epstein
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Redwood City, CA, USA
Foot Ankle Int 33:79-86. 20121) Intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus are associated with severe long-term consequences for function and pain...
- Endoscopic surgery for young athletes with symptomatic unicameral bone cyst of the calcaneusKen Innami
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Teikyo University School of Medicine, 2 22 1 Kaga, Itabashi, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Sports Med 39:575-81. 2011..Open curettage with bone graft has been the traditional surgical treatment for symptomatic unicameral calcaneal bone cyst. Endoscopic procedures have recently provided less invasive techniques with shorter postoperative morbidity...
- Quantitative ultrasound calcaneous measurements: normative data for the Italian population. the ESOPO studyS Maggi
CNR Aging Branch, IN, University of Padua, Italy
J Clin Densitom 10:340-6. 2007..0% in BUA, 0.8% in SOS, and 9.1% in SI from 60 to 79 yr were detected for females, whereas no significant changes with age in males were observed. Our data show lower QUS values for women, and a decline at a greater rate than in men...
- Analysis of foot and ankle kinematics after operative reduction of high-grade intra-articular fractures of the calcaneusIftach Hetsroni
Orthopedic Department, Meir General Hospital, Sapir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
J Trauma 70:1234-40. 2011..This study was designed to address this lack of information to assess the advisability of the operation in this respect...
- A population-based study examining calcaneus quantitative ultrasound and its optimal cut-points to discriminate osteoporotic fractures among 9352 Chinese women and menJian min Liu
Department of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:800-9. 2012..No generally accepted thresholds for quantitative ultrasound (QUS) parameters to screen individuals at high risk of osteoporotic fractures have been defined...
- Fracture of the calcaneus associated with talocalcaneal coalitionDavid Hakbum Kim
Department of Orthopaedics, Denver, CO 80205, USA
Foot Ankle Int 25:426-8. 2004
- Treatment of chondroblastoma of the calcaneus with a secondary aneurysmal bone cyst using endoscopic curettage without bone graftingTakanobu Otsuka
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nagoya City University Medical School, Nagoya City, Japan
Arthroscopy 18:430-5. 2002Chondroblastoma is a relatively rare benign bone tumor. Approximately 7% of chondroblastomas occur in the calcaneus, and 17% of chondroblastoma associated with cystic lesions...
- Association between alcohol consumption and bone strength in Korean adults: the Korean Genomic Rural Cohort StudyLi Hua Jin
Department of Preventive Medicine and Institute of Occupational and Environmental, Medicine, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, South Korea
Metabolism 60:351-8. 2011..Among Korean adults, alcohol consumption has a J-shaped relationship with risk of reduced bone strength...
- A comparison of quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus with dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry in hospitalized orthopaedic trauma patientsCory A Collinge
Department of Orthopaedic Trauma, Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital John Peter Smith Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program, Fort Worth, TX 76104, USA
J Orthop Trauma 24:176-80. 2010..Our purpose was to compare the usefulness of quantitative ultrasound of calcaneus (QUS) with dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) for identifying orthopaedic trauma patients at risk for ..
- Fixation of calcaneal avulsion fractures using screws with and without suture anchors: a biomechanical investigationGabriel E Khazen
Department of Orthopaedics, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:1183-6. 2007..This study compared the strength to failure of lag screws compared to lag screw fixation augmented with suture anchors in these fractures...
- Age curves of bone mineral density at the distal radius and calcaneus in KoreansJin Young Min
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Institute of Health and Environment, Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Bone Miner Metab 28:94-100. 2010..The BMD at the distal radius and calcaneus were measured with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, and anthropometric measures were also obtained...
- Interobserver and intraobserver reliability of two classification systems for intra-articular calcaneal fracturesAnthony J Lauder
Orthopaedics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 1080, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:251-5. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the interobserver and intraobserver reliability of the Sanders and Crosby-Fitzgibbons classification systems, two commonly used methods for classifying intra-articular calcaneal fractures...
- Quantitative ultrasound measurements at the calcaneus in natural and surgically induced menopauseBogna Drozdzowska
Department of Pathomorphology, Silesian School of Medicine, 3 Maja 13 15 Street, 41 800 Zabrze, Poland
Maturitas 53:107-13. 2006..The aim of the study was to assess skeletal status in natural and surgically induced menopausal women regarding the presence of previous osteoporotic fracture...
- Association of quantitative heel ultrasound with history of osteoporotic fractures in elderly men: the ESOPO studyM Varenna
Dipartimento di Reumatologia, Istituto Ortopedico Gaetano Pini, University of Milan, Via G Pini 9, 20122, Milan, Italy
Osteoporos Int 16:1749-54. 2005..The strength of the association between QUS measurement and fracture is similar to that observed in elderly women...
- The incorporation of allogeneic and autogenous bone graft in healing of lateral column lengthening of the calcaneusDavid Templin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Akron General Medical Center, Akron, OH, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 47:283-7. 2008..Allogeneic bone graft is rapidly integrated into native bone and is a desirable substitute to autogenous bone for use in lateral column lengthenings, avoiding any patient morbidity from graft harvesting...
- Quantitative ultrasound in the assessment of bone status of patients suffering from rheumatic diseasesI Lernbass
Department of Pathophysiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Skeletal Radiol 31:270-6. 2002..To explore the effects of rheumatic diseases and glucocorticoids on bone mass a group of patients suffering from systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE, n=18) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA, n=22) were examined...
- Fractures of the tuberosity of the calcaneusB Squires
Bristol Royal Infirmary, England, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 83:55-61. 2001We describe 24 fractures of the tuberosity of the calcaneus in 22 patients. Three were similar to the type of avulsion fracture which has been well-defined but the remainder represent a group which has been unrecognised previously...
- Comparison of six calcaneal quantitative ultrasound devices: precision and hip fracture discriminationC F Njeh
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Osteoporos Int 11:1051-62. 2000..6-3.5), as were the area under the curve (SOS, 0.65-0.71; BUA, 0.62-0.71; BMD, 0.65-0.74) from ROC analysis. Within the limitation of the sample size all devices show similar diagnostic sensitivity...
- Avulsion fracture of the calcaneal tuberosity: a case report and literature reviewR Cole Beavis
University of Saskatchewan, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, 103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 0W8
Foot Ankle Int 29:863-6. 2008
- Correlation of body growth and bone mineral density measured by ultrasound densitometry of the calcaneus in children and adolescentsTakahiko Nohara
Health Administration Center Izumo, Shimane University, Izumo, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 219:63-9. 2009..We herein report normative values of bone mineral density (BMD) for calcaneus obtained from a large cross-section sample in Japanese school children...
- Outcome of surgically treated intraarticular calcaneus fractures--SF-36 compared with AOFAS and MFSThomas Westphal
Department of Trauma Surgery, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Leipziger Strasse 44, DE 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Acta Orthop Scand 75:750-5. 2004There is no consensus as to which is the best treatment for intraarticular fractures of the calcaneus. Furthermore, few studies have assessed general health after calcaneus fractures...
- Calcaneal avulsion fractures: complications from delayed treatmentMatthew Hess
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45409, USA
Am J Emerg Med 26:254.e1-4. 2008..This case series presents 3 posterior tuberosity calcaneal avulsion fractures that led to skin necrosis because of a delay in treatment...
- Ultrasound bone densitometry of the calcaneus in healthy Chinese children and adolescentsZ Q Zhu
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, School of Basic Medicine, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, 100005, People s Republic of China
Osteoporos Int 18:533-41. 2007..We evaluate reference data to examine whether there are sex-, age-, height-, weight- and BMI-related differences of quantitative ultrasound parameters (QUS) for healthy Chinese children and adolescents...
- Bone status in rheumatoid arthritis assessed at peripheral sites by three different quantitative ultrasound devicesO R Madsen
Osteoporosis Research Clinic, Hvidovre University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Rheumatol 23:324-9. 2004..Speed of sound (SOS, m/s), broadband ultrasound attenuation (BUA, dB/MHz) and stiffness of the calcaneus were assessed by a Lunar Achilles device...
- [Sustentaculum tali screw placement for calcaneus fractures--different navigation procedures compared to the conventional technique]F Gras
Klinik für Unfall, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena
Z Orthop Unfall 148:309-18. 2010Precise placement of the sustentaculum tali screw is essential for fixation of calcaneus fractures to achieve the best fixation strength...
- Comparison of calcaneus ultrasound and dual X-ray absorptiometry in children at risk of osteopeniaKrista T Fielding
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
J Clin Densitom 6:7-15. 2003..Dual X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) is used most commonly for clinical assessments in children, but calcaneus ultrasound (CUS) is less costly, is free of ionizing radiation, and predicts fracture as well as DXA in adults...
- Older women track and field athletes have enhanced calcaneal stiffnessJ M Welch
Maine Center for Osteoporosis Research and Education, St Joseph Hospital, Bangor, Maine, USA
Osteoporos Int 16:871-8. 2005....
- Fixation of tendo Achilles avulsion fractureT H Lui
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, North District Hospital, 9 Po Kin Road, Sheung Shui, NT, Hong Kong SAR, China
Foot Ankle Surg 15:58-61. 2009..ruptures occur commonly in the midsubstance of the tendon, usually 2-6 cm proximal to the insertion to the calcaneus. Ruptures near its insertion into the calcaneus are less common and mostly found in hyperpronators with a heel ..
- Large bone distractor for open reconstruction of articular fractures of the calcaneusPawel Grala
Trauma, Burns and Plastic Surgery, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Int Orthop 33:1283-8. 2009The results of operative treatment of two groups of patients with articular fractures of the calcaneus were evaluated. Twenty-three cases were treated surgically using a standard reconstruction procedure...
- Long-term functional outcomes after operative treatment for intra-articular fractures of the calcaneusMichael Q Potter
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Box 2923, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1854-60. 2009....
- Precision control and seasonal variations in quantitative ultrasound measurement of the calcaneusYukihiro Ikeda
Department of Public Health, Kinki University School of Medicine, 377 2 Oono Higashi, Osaka Sayama, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 22:588-93. 2004..In a setting of community-based medical checkups using QUS devices, health professionals should measure the QUS indices of a subject after 60 min of rest in the examination room...
- Calcaneus ultrasound measurements in a convenience sample of healthy youthA Sawyer
Department of Orthopedics, Boston Children's Hospital, Boston MA, USA
J Clin Densitom 4:111-20. 2001We examined age-related changes in quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus in 311 healthy males and females ages 6.6-20 yr using the Lunar Achilles ultrasound device...
- Calcaneus length determines running economy: implications for endurance running performance in modern humans and NeandertalsDavid A Raichlen
School of Anthropology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Hum Evol 60:299-308. 2011..We hypothesize that ER performance may have been reduced in Neandertals because they lived in cold climates...
- Screening elderly women for risk of future fractures--participation rates and impact on incidence of falls and fracturesR J Barr
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Calcif Tissue Int 76:243-8. 2005..This form of screening may provide a cost-effective method to reduce falls and fractures in free-living elderly women. However, no such cost-effectiveness analysis has been performed to date...
- Os calcis fractures: analysis of interobserver variability in using Sanders classificationAndrew Furey
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland
J Foot Ankle Surg 42:21-3. 2003..1992 Sanders developed a classification system based on coronal and axial computed tomography (CT) scans of the calcaneus. This classification is the one used most frequently today in treatment decision making and reporting of results...
- Calcaneus fractures: a review articleJohn D Maskill
Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center Michigan State University Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 10:463-89, vi. 2005b>Calcaneus fractures are a significant burden to society. Assessment and treatment of these injuries has improved significantly...
- Morbidity associated with ORIF of intra-articular calcaneus fractures using a lateral approachE J Harvey
Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Foot Ankle Int 22:868-73. 2001This is a review of 183 patients with 218 displaced intraarticular fractures of the calcaneus treated by open reduction and internal fixation. One hundred and ninety four (89%) wounds underwent primary uneventful healing...
- Open reduction and internal fixation of displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneusPeng Ju Huang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Trauma 52:946-50. 2002Thirty-two displaced intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus in 30 patients were treated with open reduction and internal fixation. Fracture classification was based on Sanders computed tomographic classification...
- Quantitative ultrasound and trabecular architecture in the human calcaneusP H Nicholson
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Bone Miner Res 16:1886-92. 2001..modest but significant density-independent relationships between QUS and trabecular architecture in the human calcaneus for the first time, the causal relationships behind the variation in acoustic properties remain obscure...
- Plantar pressures in the forefoot after lateral column lengthening: a cadaver study comparing the Evans osteotomy and calcaneocuboid fusionTudor R Tien
Department of Orthopedics, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD
Foot Ankle Int 26:520-5. 2005..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether there is a difference between the Evans opening wedge calcaneal osteotomy (Evans) and the calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis (CCDA) with respect to lateral forefoot loading...
- Calcaneal osteotomies for the treatment of adult-acquired flatfootJoel Hix
The Foot and Ankle Institute of Western Pennsylvania, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, 4800 Friendship Avenue, North Tower, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USA
Clin Podiatr Med Surg 24:699-719, viii-ix. 2007..Preoperative evaluation, indications, contraindications, surgical considerations and techniques are discussed...
- A comparison of lateral column lengthening and medial translational osteotomy of the calcaneus for the reconstruction of adult acquired flatfootPatrick M Bolt
Department of Surgery, University of Chicago Medical Center, IL, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:1115-23. 2007..This study compared the effects of lateral column lengthening and medial translational calcaneal osteotomy on pedal realignment and degeneration of adjacent hindfoot joints noted on radiographs...
- Significance of intima-media thickness in femoral artery in the determination of calcaneus osteo-sono index but not of lumbar spine bone mass in healthy Japanese peopleShinsuke Yamada
Department of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, 545 8585, Osaka, Japan
Osteoporos Int 16:64-70. 2005..BMD) in lumbar spine was measured by dual X-ray absorptiometry and the osteo-sono assessment index (OSI) of the calcaneus by ultrasound...
- Surgical reconstruction of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction: prospective comparison of flexor digitorum longus substitution combined with lateral column lengthening or medial displacement calcaneal osteotomyRichard M Marks
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, United States
Gait Posture 29:17-22. 2009..Both procedures demonstrated comparable improvements in radiographic measurements...
- Percutaneous pin placement in the medial calcaneus: is anywhere safe?David Casey
Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Orthop Trauma 16:26-9. 2002..To redefine the medial calcaneal anatomic safe zone for pin placement with respect to reproducible palpable landmarks...
- Adult acquired flexible flatfoot, treated by calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis, posterior tibial tendon augmentation, and percutaneous Achilles tendon lengthening: a prospective outcome study of 20 patientsArie van der Krans
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop 77:156-63. 2006..Several methods for the treatment of acquired flexible flatfoot have been described...
- "Smile" incision: an approach for open reduction and internal fixation of calcaneal fracturesWilliam B Wiley
Department of Orthopaedics, Summa Health System, Akron, OH 44320, USA
Foot Ankle Int 26:590-2. 2005..Inclusion criteria were a closed displaced intra-articular fracture of the calcaneus, no compartment syndrome, and adequate followup. Followup ranged from 4 months to 4 years.
- The anatomy of the calcaneus and surrounding structuresBrian J Keener
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Pennsylvania State University, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033 0850, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 10:413-24. 2005Appreciation of the normal anatomy of the calcaneus is significant for various reasons. Restoration of normal anatomy has been of particular interest for fracture care...
- Effects of hyaluronic acid on postoperative adhesion of tendo calcaneus surgery: an experimental study in ratsIbrahim Tuncay
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Karaelmas University Medicine Faculty, Zonguldak, Turkey
J Foot Ankle Surg 41:104-8. 2002..The effects of hyaluronic acid on adhesion formation of the tendo calcaneus were investigated in this study. Twenty Wistar rats were utilized...
- Stress injuries of the calcaneus detected with magnetic resonance imaging in military recruitsMarkus J Sormaala
Centre of Military Medicine, P O Box 50, FIN 00301 Helsinki, Finland
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2237-42. 2006..Calcaneal stress injuries are fairly common overuse injuries in military recruits and athletes. We assessed the anatomic distribution, nature, and healing of calcaneal stress injuries in a group of military recruits...
- Adult stature reconstruction from the calcaneus of South Africans of European descentMubarak Bidmos
University of Witwatersrand, School of Anotomical Sciences, 7 York Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Gauteng 2193, South Africa
J Clin Forensic Med 13:247-52. 2006..This was achieved with lower accuracies compared to intact limb bones. The calcaneus, the largest of the foot bones, has been used for sex determination in Americans, Europeans and South Africans...
- A minimal subtalar approach to fix a calcaneal fracture and a lateral process of talus fracture in a diabetic obese patientShay Shabat
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Foot and Ankle Service, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Orthopedics 28:1373-4. 2005
- Myxoid chondrosarcoma in the calcaneus: a case report with MR imaging findingsJong Won Kwon
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, 300 Gumidong, Bundang gu, Seong Nam, Gyeongi do 463 707, South Korea
Skeletal Radiol 36:S82-5. 2007..Herein, we report a case of a myxoid chondrosarcoma in the calcaneus of a 20-year-old man with a description of its MR imaging (MRI) and histological findings.
- Wound-healing risk factors after open reduction and internal fixation of calcaneal fractures: does correction of Bohler's angle alter outcomes?F D Shuler
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 32:187-92, x. 2001....
- Bone mineral density changes in gestational diabetic pregnancies-a longitudinal study using quantitative ultrasound measurements of the os calcisWilliam W K To
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, United Christian Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Gynecol Endocrinol 24:519-25. 2008..While gestational diabetic women had higher BMD loss than non-diabetic women, this was apparently secondary to other anthropometric factors rather than due directly to the gestational diabetic state...
- In Vivo Imaging-Based Multiscale Modeling of Normal and Atrophied Human Lower LegShantanu Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2013..A) Muscle deformation, (B) Muscle fiber strain, (C) Aponeurosis strain and shear, (D) Tendon excursion and, (E) Calcaneus displacement...
- Kinematic and Kinetic effect of Orthotic Devices for subjects with stage II PosteChristopher Glenn Neville; Fiscal Year: 2012..Baseline foot kinematics will be collected using a three segment foot model (first metatarsal, calcaneus, tibia) while data on ankle kinetics will be derived from the kinematic data and the ground reaction forces...
- A NEW SYSTEM FOR ULTRASONIC ASSESSMENT OF THE CALCANEUSJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The system will assess the heel bone (calcaneus) distal forearm employ a novel positioning device that is foot-size based...
- Enhancing Bone Quality Assessment Using Quantitative UltrasoundJAMES GEGAN MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..identified three specific aims: 1) Identify, segregate, and overcome limitations of current transmission-based calcaneus sonometry arising from phase cancellation at the receiving transducer, 2) implement Bayes inversion of the ..
- STABILIZING ROLE OF THE LIGAMENTS OF THE HUMAN ANKLESorin Siegler; Fiscal Year: 1990..This system will be based on measuring the displacement of the calcaneus with respect to the shank in response to controlled forces and moments applied to the foot...
- NONINVASIVE ASSESSMENT OF TRABECULAR ARCHITECTURESharmila Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 1999..of trabecular architecture in cubic specimen of human trabecular bone from the lumbar spine, distal radius, calcaneus and proximal femur and relate the fractal characteristics of the radiographs measured in three orthogonal ..
- X-Ray Scattering Bone DensitometryMIODRAG KRMAR; Fiscal Year: 2006..Despite the potential and promise of CCSR, it has only been applied in-vivo to the calcaneus using an obsolete configuration...
- Vertebral Fracture: Trabecular Bone Structure AssessmentSharmila Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 2006..100x300 microns so as to accurately quantify the 3-D architecture of the trabecular bone network in the radius, calcaneus and proximal femur, and perform a rigorous evaluation of the impact of these data on the pathophysiological ..
- MULTISITE ULTRASONOMETER FOR OSTEOPOROSIS ASSESSMENTArmen Sarvazyan; Fiscal Year: 1999..The probes are intended for surface and through transmission sonification of short (calcaneus), long (ulna, radius, tibia) and flat (ilium) bones with prevalence of trabecular, compact or combined types of ..
- EXERCISE INTENSITY AND BONE MASS IN YOUNG WOMENRobert Marcus; Fiscal Year: 1990..Total bone mineral and regional bone densities in 5 anatomic regions (calcaneus, knee, hip, low back, shoulder) will be measured on entry by dual photon absorptiometry, and will be repeated on ..
- MRI-Based Virtual Bone BiopsyFelix Wehrli; Fiscal Year: 2005..volume comprising trabecular bone and marrow at a peripheral surrogate site (distal radius, distal tibia, calcaneus) and at a resolution sufficient to resolve the structural elements...
- A SCHOOL PROGRAM TO ENHANCE BONE HEALTH IN GIRLSDeanna Hoelscher; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hypothesized that students in intervention schools will, on average, (1) have a 3% greater calcaneus ultrasound Stiffness Index, (2) consume 2 more servings/day of calcium- containing foods, and (3) engage in 17 ..
- Changes in the Characteristics of Plantar Soft Tissue with DiabetesWILLIAM LEDOUX; Fiscal Year: 2008..Thus, not only is there a large diabetic population in the United States (> 6%), but they also account for a disproportional amount (>60%) of all non-traumatic lower extremity amputations. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Bone Turnover and Fracture Risk in MenDouglas Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2008..These analyses will address critical questions about the pathogenesis of spine and non-spine fracture in men, and will determine the clinical utility of bone turnover measurements in this population. ..
- Microwave Thermal Monitoring for Breast HyperthermiaPAUL MEANEY; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will set the stage for future treatment/monitoring systems targeting other anatomical sites. ..
- Calcium Foods and Bone Health of Adolescent GirlsJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2007..Lack of a calcium effect would provide support for further research into other methods or concomitant methods of maximizing skeletal development. ..
- Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometer (QDR4500A)Frances Tylavsky; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is within the existing structure and function of the GCRC that the administrative and scientific oversight of this DXA will be managed. ..
- CALCIUM AND VITAMIN D MALNUTRITION IN ELDERLY WOMENJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2003..This is a valid method to determine compliance, far superior to the traditional pill counts, and thus a substantial aid to measure the anti-fracture efficacy of calcium alone or calcium plus vitamin D interventions. ..
- Expandable Shape-Memory Polymers for Suture AnchorsCHRISTOPHER YAKACKI; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will provide a means to restore function to their shoulders with less occurrence of surgical failure and increase their quality of life. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Degradation and Recovery of Bone: OVX and TreatmentClifford Les; Fiscal Year: 2009..The main goal of the proposed work is to determine the onset time of viscoelastic property degradation and whether cortical bone can recover normal viscoelastic and strength properties with estrogen replacement. ..
- Intensive Glycemic Control and Skeletal HealthAnn Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Change in bone mineral density over two years at the hip and lumbar spine will be determined in a subsample (N=240) using dual energy absorptiometry (DEXA). ..
- AFRICAN-AMERICANS, HYPERTENSION AND LEAD EXPOSUREAndrew Todd; Fiscal Year: 2001..Participants in AASK undergo extensive and comprehensive measurements of renal function; no previous study of lead exposure and renal disease has utilized such a sensitive marker of renal function ..
- Mechanical Intervention in Children with Cerebral PalsyTishya Wren; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will also provide insight into the potential role of muscle adaptation and bone turnover in increasing bone mass in response to this simple, non-invasive, non-pharmacalogical intervention. ..
- Brain Tumor Therapy: Radio Surgery vs. MR-Guided Ablat;Shantanu Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DIABETES, PRE-DIABETES, AND FALLS IN OLDER ADULTSAnn Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2004..These analyses will inform future efforts to design trials to prevent falls and maintain strength and balance in older adults with diabetes or pre-diabetes. ..
- MODULATION OF LOCAL BONE TISSUE MATERIAL PROPERTIESClifford Les; Fiscal Year: 2004..In this way, we will address the issue of compact bone material heterogeneity in postmenopausal osteoporosis at the structural, materials, cell population, and biochemical levels. ..
- Impact of Gait Analysis on Surgical OutcomesTishya Wren; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results will determine whether the use of gait analysis testing improves clinical outcomes in children who have walking problems due to cerebral palsy. ..
- THE EFFECTS OF RETAINED LEAD BULLETS ON BODY LEAD BURDENStephen Rothenberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..The patient will have K- shell X ray florescence determination of bone lead in the tibia and calcaneus in order to determine past lead exposure not revealed by medical history and risk factor questionnairer...
- Microwave Thermal Monitoring for Breast HyperthermiaPAUL MEANEY; Fiscal Year: 2002..It will set the stage for future treatment/monitoring systems targeting other anatomical sites. ..
- Outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older Men-MinneapolisKristine Ensrud; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also supplement the bank of MrOS specimens to allow for testing of future hypotheses concerning the role of sleep in the development of age-related diseases and conditions. ..
- 3D and 3D-Axisymmetric Ultrasound Simulation SoftwareJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Applications broader than bone and osteoporosis, such as in non-destructive testing in general, would be expected to significantly increase. ..
- Clinical 3D Ultrasonic Assessment of the PhalangesJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study should allow development of a clinical prototype for non-invasive assessment of bone strength and fracture risk. ..
- Botulinum Toxin Effects on Plantar Ulcer RecurrenceMary Hastings; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- EXERCISE AND CALCIUM EFFECT ON PUBERTAL BONE GAINJoan Lappe; Fiscal Year: 2006..If these findings hold, they would provide strong support for the essential role of calcium in addition to exercise in maximizing bone mass in growing females. ..
- Ultrasonic Assessment of the ForearmJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2008..This should lead to earlier detection and treatment and ultimately to reductions in the number of fractures. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A New System for Ultrasonic Bone AssessmentJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultrasound's importance will grow as various new pharmacologic agents are approved for treatment, thus requiring periodic assessments of efficacy. ..
- A New 2D Array System for Ultrasonic Bone AssessmentJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwKathryn Ryder; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will be a double-blinded placebo-controlled trial of Mg (500 mg/day) in 92 healthy men and women between the ages of 55-75. ..
- INJECTABLE CONTRACEPTIVES AND BONE ULTRASOUND MEASURESLynn Rosenberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Millions of women worldwide have used IPCs. Given the heavy burden of osteoporotic fractures in elderly women, it is of public health importance to determine whether IPCs have an adverse effect on bone. ..