- Treatment of acute midshaft clavicle fractures: systematic review of 2144 fractures: on behalf of the Evidence-Based Orthopaedic Trauma Working Group
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55101, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:504-7. 2005
Fractures of the clavicle were reported to represent 2.6% of all fractures with an overall incidence of 64 per 100,000 per year (1987, Malmö, Sweden). Midshaft fractures account for approximately 69% to 81% of all clavicle fractures...
- Locked intramedullary fixation vs plating for displaced and shortened mid-shaft clavicle fractures: a randomized clinical trial
Nicholas A Ferran
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Lincoln County Hospital, Lincoln, UK
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 19:783-9. 2010
Recent literature supports surgical intervention for shortened, displaced, mid-shaft clavicle fractures...
- Primary nonoperative treatment of displaced lateral fractures of the clavicle
C Michael Robinson
Shoulder Injury Clinic, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, Scotland, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:778-82. 2004
The optimal management of displaced fractures of the lateral end of the clavicle remains controversial. Successful results have been reported both with primary open reduction and internal fixation and with nonoperative treatment...
- Epidemiology of clavicle fractures
Orthopaedic Department, University of Rome La Sapienza, via Tacito 74, 00193 Rome, Italy
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:452-6. 2002
An epidemiologic study of 535 isolated clavicle fractures treated in a hospital of a large metropolis during an 11-year period was performed...
- [Current treatment concepts for mid-shaft fractures of the clavicle - results of a prospective multicentre study]
Klinik für Unfall, Wiederherstellungs und Plastische Chirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Leipzig
Z Orthop Unfall 149:68-76. 2011
..Pain level, cosmetic result, shoulder function and complication rate were documented as well as the influence of the profession on the therapeutic strategy and duration of unfitness for work...
- Surgical treatment of unstable fractures of the distal clavicle: a comparative study of Kirschner wire and clavicular hook plate fixation
Oulu University Hospital, Department of Surgery, Finland
Acta Orthop Scand 73:50-3. 2002
During 1988-1999 39 unstable fractures of the distal clavicle (Neer 2) were operated on in Oulu University Hospital. Kirschner wire (K-wire) fixation was used in 22 cases and a clavicular hook plate in 17...
- A comparison of nonoperative and operative treatment of type II distal clavicle fractures
Andrew S Rokito
NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York, New York 10003, USA
Bull Hosp Jt Dis 61:32-9. 2002
A retrospective study was performed to compare nonoperative and operative treatments of Type II distal clavicle fractures...
- Comparison of plates versus intramedullary nails for fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures
Hsin Hua Liu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Trauma 69:E82-7. 2010
..We compare the use of plate and screws versus intramedullary nails in the operative management of patients with displaced midclavicular fractures...
- Fractures of the clavicle
L A Kashif Khan
Edinburgh Shoulder Clinic, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:447-60. 2009
Undisplaced fractures of both the diaphysis and the lateral end of the clavicle have a high rate of union, and the functional outcomes are good after nonoperative treatment...
- Elastic stable intramedullary nailing versus nonoperative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures-a randomized, controlled, clinical trial
From the Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Orthop Trauma 23:106-12. 2009
..To compare elastic stable intramedullary nailing (ESIN) with nonoperative treatment of fully displaced midshaft clavicular fractures in adults...
- Use of the AO hook-plate for treatment of unstable fractures of the distal clavicle
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Minami kogushi, Ube, Yamaguchi, Japan
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:191-4. 2007
We used a new internal fixative implant, the AO clavicle hook-plate, for treatment of unstable fractures of the distal clavicle...
- A method for internal fixation of unstable distal clavicle fractures: early observations using a new technique
Hand and Upper Limb Unit, Princess Alexandra Hospital, and Brisbane Hand and Upper Limb Clinic, Brisbane, Australia
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:60-2. 2008
Unstable distal clavicle fractures often require open reduction and internal fixation. A variety of fixation methods have been used and are currently in use. None of the current fixation methods seem to be without problems...
- Elastic stable intramedullary nailing is best for mid-shaft clavicular fractures without comminution: results in 60 patients
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Injury 42:324-9. 2011
..Recent studies, however, also report on higher complication rates and specific problems with the use of this technique. This prospective study compares ESIN with non-operative treatment of displaced mid-shaft clavicular fractures...
- Surgical treatment of distal clavicle fractures using the clavicular hook plate
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Toyonaka Municipal Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Clin Orthop Relat Res 447:158-64. 2006
..Care must be used when establishing the position of the hook hole, and it is best to remove the plate after bony union...
- Precontoured plating of clavicle fractures: decreased hardware-related complications?
Center for Shoulder, Elbow and Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Columbia University Medical Center, 622 West 168th Street PH 11, New York, NY 10032, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:3337-43. 2011
Operative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures reportedly decreases the risk of symptomatic malunion, nonunion, and residual shoulder disability...
- Minimally invasive intramedullary nailing of midshaft clavicular fractures using titanium elastic nails
Department of Trauma Surgery, University Hospital of Bonn Medical Center, Bonn, Germany
J Trauma 64:1528-34. 2008
..To date, various implants have been developed for open reduction including intramedullary wires, screws, and plates. This study discusses elastic stable intramedullary nailing of midshaft clavicular fractures...
- Surgical treatment of midclavicular fractures: a prospective comparison of Knowles pinning and plate fixation
Yih Shiunn Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Lin Shin Hospital, No 36, Section 3, Huizhong Rd, Nanton District, Taichung City 408, Taiwan
Int Orthop 32:541-5. 2008
..2). In conclusion, if the surgery of mid-third clavicular fractures is indicated, fixation with a Knowles pin has more advantages than plate fixation...
- Plate fixation of middle-third fractures of the clavicle in the semi-professional athlete
University Hospital of Antwerp, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 71:17-21. 2005
..bike racers, soccer players, swimmers and cyclists) with a displaced fracture of the middle-third of the clavicle were treated operatively using rigid plate fixation within one week after the initial trauma...
- Shaft fractures of the clavicle: current concepts
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:807-15. 2009
Fractures of the clavicle are common and have been typically addressed to nonoperative treatment...
- A three-dimensional reconstruction plate for displaced midshaft fractures of the clavicle
J W Shen
Department of Orthopaedic and Traumatic Surgery Zhejiang Province TCM Hospital, Hangzhou 310006, Zheijiang Province, People s Republic of China
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1495-8. 2008
This randomised study compared outcomes in patients with displaced fractures of the clavicle treated by open reduction and fixation by a reconstruction plate which was placed either superiorly or three-dimensionally...
- The aetiology and epidemiology of clavicular fractures. A prospective study during a two-year period in Uppsala, Sweden
Department of Orthopaedics, Uppsala University Hospital, SE 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Injury 31:353-8. 2000
..about three of four fractures occurring through the middle part and one of four through the acromial part of the clavicle. Ninety-five percent healed uneventfully, while non-union developed in 5% - evenly distributed between the middle ..
- Deficits following nonoperative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures
Michael D McKee
Division of Orthopaedics, Department of Surgery, St Michael s Hospital and the University of Toronto, 55 Queen Street East, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M5C 1R6, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:35-40. 2006
..and surgeon-based outcomes, we used a patient-based outcome questionnaire and objective muscle-strength testing to evaluate a series of patients who had received nonoperative care for a displaced midshaft fracture of the clavicle.
- Operative treatment of midclavicular fractures in 62 elderly patients: knowles pin versus plate
Yih Shiunn Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Taipei City Hospital, Heping Branch, Taipei, Taiwan
Orthopedics 30:959-64. 2007
..02), lower complication rate (P=0.04), and less symptomatic hardware (P=.015). If surgery of mid-third clavicular fractures is indicated, fixation with a Knowles pin has more advantages than plate fixation in elderly patients...
- Operative treatment of clavicle fractures in children: a review of 21 years
Children s University Hospital of Berne Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
J Pediatr Orthop 22:736-9. 2002
Between 1980 and 2000, 15 children (14 boys and 1 girl) underwent surgical treatment of a fractured clavicle at the authors' hospital...
- Stabilisation of vertical unstable distal clavicular fractures (Neer 2b) using locking T-plates and suture anchors
Centre for Musculosceletal Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Injury 40:236-9. 2009
..Coracoclavicular distance was successfully restored with a mean 1mm (range 0-2mm) side-to-side difference. Early clinical and radiographic results of this new method are promising, with good to excellent outcome in all cases...
- Treatment of midclavicular nonunion: comparison of dynamic compression plating and low-contact dynamic compression plating techniques
Orthopaedics and Traumatology Department, Medical Faculty, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:396-403. 2004
..001). The addition of internal fixation of the clavicle with DCP or LC-DCP to application of autogenous corticocancellous chips, or sculptured graft on nonunion areas in ..
- The clavicle hook plate for Neer type II lateral clavicle fractures
R J Renger
Department of Surgery, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Carrer St Antoni Maria Claret, 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
J Orthop Trauma 23:570-4. 2009
To evaluate functional and radiologic outcome in patients with a Neer type II lateral clavicle fracture treated with the clavicle hook plate.
- Clavicular hook plate for lateral end fractures:- a prospective study
Prasad V K Meda
Department of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Injury 37:277-83. 2006
A prospective study was undertaken over a period of 4 years to evaluate the clinical and radiological outcomes following fixation with a clavicular hook plate for Neer types II and III fractures of lateral end clavicle.
- Clinical outcomes of midclavicular fractures treated with titanium elastic nails
Yun Feng Chen
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shanghai Sixth People s Hospital, Jiaotong University, 600 Yishan RD, Shanghai, China
Can J Surg 53:379-84. 2010
..Our aim was to evaluate the clinical outcomes of midclavicular fractures treated with titanium elastic nails...
- Does delay matter? The restoration of objectively measured shoulder strength and patient-oriented outcome after immediate fixation versus delayed reconstruction of displaced midshaft fractures of the clavicle
Jeffrey M Potter
Division of Orthopaedics, St Michael s Hospital and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:514-8. 2007
Outcome after surgical treatment for nonunion and malunion of midshaft displaced clavicle fractures has generally been described as favorable and equal to results of acute repair...
- An unusual case of segmental clavicle fracture
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery, Frimley Park Hospital, Frimley, Surrey GU16 5UJ
J R Army Med Corps 151:93-4. 2005
Fracture of the clavicle is a common traumatic injury and comprises 4% of all fractures in adults. Amongst these, midshaft injuries account for the majority and medial fractures are uncommon...
- Hook-plate fixation of unstable lateral clavicle fractures: a report on 63 patients
Department of Surgery, Division of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, University Hospital Oulu, FI 90029 OYS Finland
Acta Orthop 77:644-9. 2006
Hook-plate fixation of unstable lateral clavicle fractures has given promising results in previous reports, but numbers of patients have been small. We assessed the results of this technique in 63 patients.
- Flexible intramedullary nailing for stabilization of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures: technique and results in 87 patients
Department of Surgery Innenstadt, University Hospital of Munich, Munich, Germany
Acta Orthop 78:424-9. 2007
..We describe the surgical technique and outcome in 87 patients...
- Operative versus nonoperative management of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures: a prospective cohort study
Command Hospital Air Force, Air port Road, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
J Orthop Trauma 25:31-8. 2011
To compare results of primary internal fixation of acute displaced midshaft clavicle fractures with those managed nonoperatively in terms of fracture union and functional outcome.
- Treatment of distal clavicle fracture: a systematic review of treatment modalities in 425 fractures
Joo Han Oh
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, 28 Yeongeon dong, Jongno gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:525-33. 2011
The Neer type II distal clavicle fracture is notorious for its high nonunion rate, and surgical treatment is usually recommended...
- Three-dimensional clavicular and acromioclavicular rotations during arm abduction using vertically open MRI
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hoshigaoka Koseinenkin Hospital, 4 8 1 Hoshigaoka Hirakata City, Osaka 573 8511 Japan
J Orthop Res 25:1243-9. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to analyze the 3D kinematics of the clavicle and acromioclavicular joint during arm abduction, using 3D MR images obtained by a vertically open MRI...
- [Treatment of mid-clavicular fractures in adults. Early results after rucksack bandage or elastic stable intramedullary nailing]
Klinik für Unfall, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitat Koln
Unfallchirurg 108:707-14. 2005
..The aim of this prospective study was to compare the results achieved in two groups of patients treated for mid-clavicular fracture...
- Conservative treatment of fractures at the middle third of the clavicle: the relevance of shortening and clinical outcome
Orthopaedic Department, Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 15:191-4. 2006
Fractures of the clavicle are common and most often occur in the middle third. The clavicle has several important functions, each of which may be affected after fracture and malunion...
- Management of paediatric clavicle fractures--is follow-up necessary? An audit of 346 cases
J D F Calder
Department of Orthopaedics, Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 84:331-3. 2002
We investigated the incidence of complications following childhood clavicle fractures and the necessity for follow-up in fracture clinic after the first orthopaedic consultation...
- Operative versus nonoperative treatment of midshaft clavicle fractures in adolescents
Kelly L Vander Have
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:307-12. 2010
Midshaft clavicle fractures in adolescents have traditionally been treated nonoperatively...
- Subacromial morphometric assessment of the clavicle hook plate
Amr W ElMaraghy
St Joseph s Health Centre, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Injury 41:613-9. 2010
b>Clavicle hook plates are an effective plate fixation alternative for distal clavicle fractures and severe acromioclavicular joint dislocations...
- Operative treatment of completely displaced clavicle shaft fractures in children
Charles T Mehlman
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 29:851-5. 2009
Fractures of the shaft of the clavicle are common in both adults and children. Recent adult studies have indicated that improved outcomes are achieved after open reduction and internal fixation...
- Management of midshaft clavicle fractures in adults
Patrick J Denard
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 34:527-36. 2005
Fractures of the clavicle are common injuries. The usual mechanism of clavicle fracture is a direct fall on the shoulder. There are 3 types of clavicle fractures, but type II or midshaft fractures make up the vast majority...
- Is surgery for displaced, midshaft clavicle fractures in adults cost-effective? Results based on a multicenter randomized, controlled trial
Adam M Pearson
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03755, USA
J Orthop Trauma 24:426-33. 2010
To determine the cost-effectiveness of open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) of displaced, midshaft clavicle fractures in adults.
- Complications of clavicle fractures treated with intramedullary fixation
Peter J Millett
Steadman Clinic and Steadman Philippon Research Institute, Vail, CO, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 20:86-91. 2011
Recent studies have demonstrated better outcomes with operative fixation of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures. We hypothesize that the risk of major complication with intramedullary fixation for clavicle fractures will be low.
- Malunion after midshaft clavicle fractures in adults
Robert J Hillen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Academic Medical Centre University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Acta Orthop 81:273-9. 2010
This is an overview of the current literature on malunion after midshaft clavicle fracture. Anatomy, trauma mechanism, classification, incidence, symptoms, prevention, and treatment options are all discussed...
- Intramedullary nailing of clavicular midshaft fractures with the titanium elastic nail: problems and complications
Department of Trauma Surgery, Davos Hospital, Davos Platz, Switzerland
Am J Sports Med 37:352-9. 2009
..Intramedullary nailing of clavicular midshaft fractures using the titanium elastic nail has been described as a technically easy, minimally invasive operation with few complications and an early return to competitive sports...
- Operative treatment of clavicle midshaft fractures: comparison between reconstruction plate and reconstruction locking compression plate
Chul Hyun Cho
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dongsan Medicial Center, Keimyung University School of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Clin Orthop Surg 2:154-9. 2010
To compare the outcomes of reconstruction plate and reconstruction locking compression plate (LCP) for the treatment of clavicle midshaft fractures.
- Long-term results of conservative management of midshaft clavicle fracture
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Viale Oxford 81, Rome, Italy
Int Orthop 34:731-6. 2010
A series of 91 patients (59 males, 32 females, mean age 41 years) with middle-shaft clavicle fracture were assessed at a mean of 8.7 years after injury. Based on Allman's classification, fractures were placed in group Ia, Ib and Ic...
- Plate fixation of fresh displaced midshaft clavicle fractures
W J Shen
Po Cheng Orthopaedic Institute, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Injury 30:497-500. 1999
From 1992-1994, we operated on 251 fresh completely displaced mid-third clavicle fractures in adults; 232 were followed up. The fractures were plated with a Mizuho C-type plate or an AO/ASIF 3.5 mm reconstruction plate...
- Complications of intramedullary Hagie pin fixation for acute midshaft clavicle fractures
Eric J Strauss
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY 10003, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:280-4. 2007
The purpose of this report was to evaluate patient outcomes after treatment of acute midshaft clavicle fractures with an intramedullary Hagie pin, including clinical results and the incidence of postoperative complications...
- Excessive complications of open intramedullary nailing of midshaft clavicle fractures with the Rockwood Clavicle Pin
Christopher D Mudd
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 3635 Vista Avenue at Grand Boulevard, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:3364-70. 2011
Intramedullary clavicle fixation is a potential alternative to plate fixation...
- [An alternative fixation method for the treatment of unstable distal clavicle fractures: locked distal radius plate]
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 43:324-30. 2009
Optimal surgical fixation method for displaced distal clavicle fractures should not impose limitations on neighboring joint movements...
- Acute midshaft clavicular fracture
Kyle J Jeray
Orthopaedic Surgery Education, Greenville Hospital Systems, Greenville, SC 29605, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 15:239-48. 2007
..6% to 5% of all fractures, and middle third fractures account for 69% to 82% of fractures of the clavicle. The junction of the outer and middle third is the thinnest part of the bone and is the only area not protected ..
- Tension band suturing for the treatment of displaced type 2 lateral end clavicle fractures
S P Badhe
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby, UK
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:25-8. 2007
Non-operative treatment of Neer type 2 lateral end clavicle fractures presents a difficult problem due to the high incidence of non-union, delayed union and resulting shoulder girdle instability...
- Primary tumours and tumorous lesions of clavicle
Orthopaedics, Lady Hardinge Medical College, Shahid Bhagat Singh Marg, New Delhi, 110003, India
Int Orthop 32:829-34. 2008
Primary tumours and tumorous lesions of the clavicle are very rare, and little literature is available regarding their characteristics and outcome...
- Bone tumors of the clavicle: risk of malignancy in the elderly and safe needle biopsy
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
Orthopedics 33:397. 2010
The clavicle is a rare site for bone tumors and little is known from the limited literature about the prognostic factors and management techniques, including biopsy...
- Extraskeletal myxoid chondrosarcoma arising from the clavicle
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mie University Faculty of Medicine, Tsu City, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Oncol Rep 16:115-8. 2006
..Plain radiography and CT did not demonstrate any osteolytic lesion or periosteal reaction in the right clavicle. However, MRI showed an isosignal-intensity mass on T1-weighted images and a homogeneous high signal intensity ..
- Reconstruction plate versus minimal invasive retrograde titanium elastic nail fixation for displaced midclavicular fractures
Jamal E H Assobhi
Faculty of Medicine for Girls, Al Zahraa University Hospital, Al Azhar University, 5 Al Emam Al Sha rawy str, Assefarat District, Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt
J Orthop Traumatol 12:185-92. 2011
Nonoperative management of midshaft clavicle fractures (MSCFs) is standard; however, it is now generally accepted that displaced midshaft clavicle fractures benefit from internal fixation...
- Nonoperative treatment compared with plate fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures. Surgical technique
Sahal A Altamimi
Upper Extremity Reconstructive Service, St Michael s Hospital, 55 Queen Street East, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M5C 1R6, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1-8. 2008
..We sought to compare patient-oriented outcome and complication rates following nonoperative treatment and those after plate fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures...
- Bipolar dislocation of the clavicle: 3D CT imaging and delayed surgical correction of a case
Clinica Ortopedica e Traumatologica, Dipartimento di Specialità Medico Chirurgiche, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 3, 35128 Padua, Italy
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 124:421-4. 2004
I report a case of traumatic floating clavicle in a woman aged 18 years, successfully treated 19 days after the accident by bipolar open reduction and wire stabilization. The pertinent literature is briefly reviewed.
- Clinical results of single-tunnel coracoclavicular ligament reconstruction using autogenous semitendinosus tendon
Jae Chul Yoo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Am J Sports Med 38:950-7. 2010
..Over 60 repair/reconstruction techniques have been described for the treatment of coracoclavicular (CC) ligament injuries...
- Intramedullary fixation of Neer type 2 fractures of the distal clavicle with an AO/ASIF screw
J E Scadden
17 St Johns Street, Winchester, Hampshire S023 0HF, UK
Injury 36:1172-5. 2005
Neer 2 fractures of the distal clavicle are notorious for their high rates of non-union and numerous methods of fixation are recommended...
- The treatment of distal clavicle fractures with coracoclavicular ligament disruption: a report of 10 cases
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
J Orthop Trauma 19:524-8. 2005
Fractures of the distal third of the clavicle with coracoclavicular ligament disruption have been associated with delayed union or nonunion...
- Correlation of age and ossification of the medial clavicular epiphysis using computed tomography
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Head and Neck Diagnostics Section, University Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, 79095 Freiburg, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 158:184-9. 2006
The aim of this study was the examination of relationship between the age and the ossification of medial epiphysis of the clavicle referred to CT examination.
- Functional outcomes of conservatively treated clavicle fractures
Mohd Yazid Bajuri
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 66:635-9. 2011
The main aim of the study was to analyze the outcomes of clavicle fractures in adults treated non-surgically and to evaluate the clinical effects of displacement, fracture patterns, fracture location, fracture comminution, shortening and ..
- Intraspinal migration of a Kirschner wire 3 months after clavicular fracture fixation
Jens P Regel
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Essen Medical School, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 25:110-2. 2002
..The K-wire was pulled out through an opening of the wound over the right clavicle. No CSF fistula was seen. The patient recovered without any postoperative neurological deficit...
- Iatrogenic subclavian arteriovenous fistula: rare complication of plate osteosynthesis of clavicle fracture
Department of Orthopaedics, Xiangya Hospital, Changsha, China
Orthopedics 35:e287-9. 2012
..subclavian arteriovenous fistula is rare and has not been reported as a complication of plate osteosynthesis of clavicle fracture...
- Fractures of the distal third of the clavicle treated by hook plating
A D Tambe
Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Int Orthop 30:7-10. 2006
..function following hook plate fixation in 18 patients with Neer type 2 fractures of the lateral end of the clavicle. The average age was 40 (range 22-62) years, and the mean follow-up was 25 (range 6-48) months...
- Modified tension band fixation for unstable distal clavicle fractures
Jae Myeung Chun
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Trauma 70:E88-92. 2011
Optimal surgical treatment of unstable distal clavicle fractures is controversial, and various fixation options are available...
- Hook plate fixation for type II fractures of the lateral end of the clavicle
Saadallah George Haidar
City Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 15:419-23. 2006
Management of type II fractures of the lateral end of the clavicle is controversial. Different treatment options have been advocated with varying results...
- Fixation of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures in skeletally immature patients
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 31:507-11. 2011
There is ongoing debate in the adult literature regarding fixation of displaced, closed midshaft clavicle fractures. Functional outcomes of treatment of these fractures in skeletally immature patients have not been previously investigated.
- Anterior-inferior plating of middle-third fractures of the clavicle
Chin En Chen
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Golden Hospital, Pingtung, 900, Taiwan, ROC
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130:507-11. 2010
Various techniques have been reported for the treatment of middle-third clavicle (collar bone) fractures. This prospective study was conducted to evaluate the results of anterior-inferior plating using a 3...
- Clavicular fracture in a collegiate football player: a case report of rapid return to play
Sarah B Rabe
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
J Athl Train 46:107-11. 2011
..To present the case of surgical treatment and rehabilitation of a midshaft clavicular fracture in a National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I football athlete...
- Infection after surgical reconstruction of a clavicle fracture using a reconstruction plate: a report of seven cases
Ping Cheng Liu
Department of Orthopedics, Kaohsiung Municipal Hsiao Kang Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 24:45-9. 2008
Mid-shaft clavicle fractures have traditionally been treated conservatively, although this has been associated with non-union and unsatisfactory shoulder function...
- Acute operative stabilization versus nonoperative management of clavicle fractures
Daniel B Judd
Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI 96859, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 38:341-5. 2009
We conducted a prospective, randomized study to determine if patients with midshaft clavicle fractures would benefit from immediate operative stabilization with a modified Hagie pin in comparison with a matched group treated with ..
- Minimally invasive treatment for Neer IIb distal clavicle fractures with titanium cable
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kunming General Hospital of the PLA, Kunming, People s Republic of China
J Trauma 71:E37-40. 2011
Neer IIB distal clavicle fracture is associated with disruption of the coracoclavicular ligament and a variable degree of displacement...
- Pycnodysostosis associated with bilateral congenital pseudarthrosis of the clavicle
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Firat University Hospital, 23200 Elazig, Turkey
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 123:125-7. 2003
..the case of a 22-year-old woman with pycnodysostosis associated with bilateral congenital pseudarthrosis of the clavicle. The patient was first seen at the age of 19 years and had no symptoms during the 3-year follow-up period...
- Clavicle fractures
Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am Fam Physician 77:65-70. 2008
b>Clavicle fractures are most common in children and young adults, typically occurring in persons younger than 25 years...
- Midshaft clavicle fractures in adults
Charles F Preston
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, 301 East 17th Street, New York, NY 10003, USA
Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 67:52-7. 2009
b>Clavicle fractures remain one of the more common fractures encountered in the orthopaedic office. Nonoperative management remains the standard of care in most cases...
- Biomechanical comparison of contemporary clavicle fixation devices
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32607, USA
J Hand Surg Am 35:639-44. 2010
Because recent studies have shown that malunited or nonunited clavicle fractures treated nonsurgically have poor outcomes, early fixation of certain clavicle shaft fractures using contemporary implants has become more common...
- Fracture and retrosternal dislocation of the medial clavicle in a 12-year-old child--case report, options for diagnosis, and treatment in children
Department of Trauma, Hand, and Reconstructive Surgery, Hospital of the J W Goethe University, 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Pediatr Surg 40:e1-3. 2005
..In addition, sutures circumvent the need for a second operation for metal removal...
- Treatment of midshaft clavicular delayed and non-unions with anteroinferior locking compression plating
Sjoerd A Stufkens
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Academic Medical Center, PO Box 22660, 1100 DD, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130:159-64. 2010
Pain and impaired shoulder function are the predominant symptoms of midshaft clavicle non-unions. Obtaining consolidation and improvement of shoulder function is often successfully achieved with osteosynthesis and bone grafting...
- Nonunion of the clavicle treated with plate fixation: a review of forty-seven consecutive cases
Donald P Endrizzi
Orthopaedic Associates of Portland, Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME 04102, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:951-3. 2008
..We believe that superiorly applied plate fixation is effective for the treatment of clavicular nonunion. Distant autogenous bone graft is not necessary in most cases to obtain union...
- Acute management of clavicle fractures. A long term functional outcome study
1st Orthopaedic Department of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Acta Orthop Belg 74:303-7. 2008
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the long-term results after acute treatment of clavicle fractures. We reviewed 139 patients with an average age of 39...
- [Midshaft clavicle fractures--classification and therapy. Results of a survey at German trauma departments]
Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik Grosshadern, Marchioninistr 15, 81377, Munchen
Unfallchirurg 111:387-94. 2008
The therapy of the midshaft clavicle fracture, in particular dislocated midshaft fractures, remains controversial. Therefore the objective of this study was to obtain data about the current treatment for midshaft clavicle fractures.
- Healing and graft-site morbidity rates for midshaft clavicle nonunions treated with open reduction and internal fixation augmented with iliac crest aspiration
Robert Z Tashjian
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Utah School of Medicine, University of Utah Orthopaedic Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 38:133-6. 2009
We conducted a study of the healing and graft-site morbidity rates for midshaft clavicle nonunions treated with open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) augmented with iliac crest aspiration...
- Compression of the common carotid artery following clavicle fracture in a twelve-year-old
Department ofAnaesthesia, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 38:759-60. 2010
Posterior dislocation of the clavicle in the sternoclavicular joint is rare, but can result in severe complications caused by secondary damage to the adjacent structures on relocation...
- Morphometric study of the shoulder and subclavicular innervation by the intermediate and lateral branches of supraclavicular nerves
Rouen University Hospital, Laboratory of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, University of Rouen, 22 Boulevard Gambetta, Rouen, France
Surg Radiol Anat 29:605-10. 2007
..The goal of this work was to clarify the morphometric knowledge of these two branches and to discuss the clinical relevance of the anatomical features...
- Study of variant anatomical structures (bony canals, fibrous bands, and muscles) in relation to potential supraclavicular nerve entrapment
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Medical University Sofia, ul Zdrave 2, Sofia, Bulgaria
Clin Anat 20:278-85. 2007
..the nerve injury has been attributed to the location of the supraclavicular nerve branch in a narrow canal in the clavicle. However, in the anatomical literature, variations in the course of the supraclavicular nerves have not only been ..
- Pedicled vascularized rib transfer for reconstruction of clavicle nonunions with bony defects: anatomical and biomechanical considerations
Clement M L Werner
Department of Orthopedic and Reconstructive Surgery, Balgrist, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:173-80. 2007
..Reconstruction using vascularized bone graft is the accepted standard in cases of large osseous defects...
- Biomechanical analysis of fixation of middle third fractures of the clavicle
Darren S Drosdowech
Bioengineering Research Lab, Hand and Upper Limb Centre, St Joseph s Health Care, 268 Grosvenor Street, London, Ontario, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 25:39-43. 2011
..This biomechanical study compares four different techniques of fixation of middle third clavicular fractures...
- A rare muscle anomaly: the supraclavicularis proprius muscle
N E Ottone
Dissection Team Dr V H Bertone, Second Chair of Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 68:55-7. 2009
..We described this rare muscular anomaly, the likelihood of finding this muscle, and its participation in supraclavicular nerve entrapment syndrome...
- Anomaly of the supraclavicular nerve: case report and review of the literature
R Shane Tubbs
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Clin Anat 19:599-601. 2006
We report a male cadaver found to have his right intermediate branch of the supraclavicular nerve piercing the clavicle. No other anomalies were found in this specimen...
- Free vascularized corticoperiosteal bone graft for the treatment of persistent nonunion of the clavicle
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:264-8. 2005
Radiation-induced necrosis or infection can result in a persistent nonunion of the clavicle. We describe 3 cases in which a free vascularized corticoperiosteal flap was harvested from the medial aspect of the femoral condyle and ..
- Can we predict long-term sequelae after fractures of the clavicle based on initial findings? A prospective study with nine to ten years of follow-up
Shoulder Service, Department of Orthopaedics, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:479-86. 2004
..During 1989 through 1991, 245 patients aged 15 years or older with a radiographically verified fracture of the clavicle were included. Clinical and radiographic examinations were standardized...
- Failure of acromioclavicular reconstruction using Gore-Tex graft due to aseptic foreign-body reaction and clavicle osteolysis: a case report
Andrew M Stewart
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:558-61. 2004
- Short malunions of the clavicle: an anatomic and functional study
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Perth WA 6009 Australia
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:349-54. 2005
The anatomic and functional effects of clavicle malunion, defined as 15 mm of shortening, were evaluated in 10 subjects. Bilateral shoulder computed tomography with 3-dimensional reconstructions was performed...
- The influence of slice thickness on assessment of clavicle ossification in forensic age diagnostics
Institut für Radiologie CCM, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117, Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 120:15-7. 2006
..We therefore conclude that for age estimation purposes, the slice thickness should be 1 mm to ensure maximum accuracy and diagnostic reliability...
- Biomechanical evaluation of clavicle fracture plating techniques: does a locking plate provide improved stability?
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
J Orthop Trauma 22:241-7. 2008
..5 mm Universal Locking System Contourable Dual Compression Plate (Locked CDCP) in a synthetic midshaft transverse clavicle fracture model.
- Estimating the risk of nonunion following nonoperative treatment of a clavicular fracture
C Michael Robinson
New Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, Scotland
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:1359-65. 2004
Nonunion is a rare complication of a fracture of the clavicle, but its occurrence can compromise shoulder function...