- The treatment of acromioclavicular joint dislocation Tossy grade III with a clavicle hook plate
Thierry De Baets
St Jan General Hospital, Genk, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 70:515-9. 2004
..patients with acute acromioclavicular dislocation Tossy stage III were reviewed after operative treatment with a clavicle hook plate. Mean follow-up time was 20 months. Clinical and radiographic results were reviewed...
- Treatment of acute midshaft clavicle fractures: systematic review of 2144 fractures: on behalf of the Evidence-Based Orthopaedic Trauma Working Group
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55101, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:504-7. 2005
Fractures of the clavicle were reported to represent 2.6% of all fractures with an overall incidence of 64 per 100,000 per year (1987, Malmö, Sweden). Midshaft fractures account for approximately 69% to 81% of all clavicle fractures...
- Locked intramedullary fixation vs plating for displaced and shortened mid-shaft clavicle fractures: a randomized clinical trial
Nicholas A Ferran
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Lincoln County Hospital, Lincoln, UK
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 19:783-9. 2010
Recent literature supports surgical intervention for shortened, displaced, mid-shaft clavicle fractures...
- Epidemiology of clavicle fractures
Orthopaedic Department, University of Rome La Sapienza, via Tacito 74, 00193 Rome, Italy
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:452-6. 2002
An epidemiologic study of 535 isolated clavicle fractures treated in a hospital of a large metropolis during an 11-year period was performed...
- The clavicle hook plate for Neer type II lateral clavicle fractures
R J Renger
Department of Surgery, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Carrer St Antoni Maria Claret, 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
J Orthop Trauma 23:570-4. 2009
To evaluate functional and radiologic outcome in patients with a Neer type II lateral clavicle fracture treated with the clavicle hook plate.
- Comparison of the efficacy of hook plate versus tension band wire in the treatment of unstable fractures of the distal clavicle
Yih Shiunn Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Lin Shin Hospital, No 36, Huizhong Rd, Nanton District, Taichung City, 408, Taiwan
Int Orthop 33:1401-5. 2009
Fifty-two patients with unstable fractures of distal clavicle treated by open reduction and internal fixation with hook plates or tension band wires were retrospectively reviewed...
- Stabilisation of vertical unstable distal clavicular fractures (Neer 2b) using locking T-plates and suture anchors
Centre for Musculosceletal Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Injury 40:236-9. 2009
..Coracoclavicular distance was successfully restored with a mean 1mm (range 0-2mm) side-to-side difference. Early clinical and radiographic results of this new method are promising, with good to excellent outcome in all cases...
- Treatment of distal clavicle fracture: a systematic review of treatment modalities in 425 fractures
Joo Han Oh
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, 28 Yeongeon dong, Jongno gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:525-33. 2011
The Neer type II distal clavicle fracture is notorious for its high nonunion rate, and surgical treatment is usually recommended...
- [Current treatment concepts for mid-shaft fractures of the clavicle - results of a prospective multicentre study]
Klinik für Unfall, Wiederherstellungs und Plastische Chirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Leipzig
Z Orthop Unfall 149:68-76. 2011
..Pain level, cosmetic result, shoulder function and complication rate were documented as well as the influence of the profession on the therapeutic strategy and duration of unfitness for work...
- Surgical treatment of unstable fractures of the distal clavicle: a comparative study of Kirschner wire and clavicular hook plate fixation
Oulu University Hospital, Department of Surgery, Finland
Acta Orthop Scand 73:50-3. 2002
During 1988-1999 39 unstable fractures of the distal clavicle (Neer 2) were operated on in Oulu University Hospital. Kirschner wire (K-wire) fixation was used in 22 cases and a clavicular hook plate in 17...
- Comparison of plates versus intramedullary nails for fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures
Hsin Hua Liu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Trauma 69:E82-7. 2010
..We compare the use of plate and screws versus intramedullary nails in the operative management of patients with displaced midclavicular fractures...
- Fractures of the clavicle
L A Kashif Khan
Edinburgh Shoulder Clinic, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:447-60. 2009
Undisplaced fractures of both the diaphysis and the lateral end of the clavicle have a high rate of union, and the functional outcomes are good after nonoperative treatment...
- Use of the AO hook-plate for treatment of unstable fractures of the distal clavicle
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Minami kogushi, Ube, Yamaguchi, Japan
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:191-4. 2007
We used a new internal fixative implant, the AO clavicle hook-plate, for treatment of unstable fractures of the distal clavicle...
- Primary nonoperative treatment of displaced lateral fractures of the clavicle
C Michael Robinson
Shoulder Injury Clinic, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, Scotland, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:778-82. 2004
The optimal management of displaced fractures of the lateral end of the clavicle remains controversial. Successful results have been reported both with primary open reduction and internal fixation and with nonoperative treatment...
- Elastic stable intramedullary nailing versus nonoperative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures-a randomized, controlled, clinical trial
From the Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Orthop Trauma 23:106-12. 2009
..To compare elastic stable intramedullary nailing (ESIN) with nonoperative treatment of fully displaced midshaft clavicular fractures in adults...
- Tension band suturing for the treatment of displaced type 2 lateral end clavicle fractures
S P Badhe
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby, UK
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:25-8. 2007
Non-operative treatment of Neer type 2 lateral end clavicle fractures presents a difficult problem due to the high incidence of non-union, delayed union and resulting shoulder girdle instability...
- Clavicular hook plate for lateral end fractures:- a prospective study
Prasad V K Meda
Department of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Injury 37:277-83. 2006
A prospective study was undertaken over a period of 4 years to evaluate the clinical and radiological outcomes following fixation with a clavicular hook plate for Neer types II and III fractures of lateral end clavicle.
- Reconstruction of the coracoclavicular ligaments with tendon grafts: a comparative biomechanical study
Steven J Lee
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Lenox Hill Hospital The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York, New York 10021, USA
Am J Sports Med 31:648-55. 2003
..Numerous surgical techniques have been described to address injuries to the coracoclavicular ligaments...
- Extra-articular knowles pin fixation for unstable distal clavicle fractures
Shyu Jye Wang
Departments of Orthopaedics, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Trauma 64:1522-7. 2008
Unstable distal clavicle fractures may benefit from surgical treatment. This report described a new method with transacromial extra-articular Knowles pin fixation to treat these unstable fractures...
- Systematic review of the complications of plate fixation of clavicle fractures
Frans Jasper G Wijdicks
Department of Surgery, Diakonessenhuis, Bosboomstraat 1, 3582 KE Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:617-25. 2012
The number of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures treated surgically is increasing and plate fixation is often the treatment modality of choice...
- [An alternative fixation method for the treatment of unstable distal clavicle fractures: locked distal radius plate]
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 43:324-30. 2009
Optimal surgical fixation method for displaced distal clavicle fractures should not impose limitations on neighboring joint movements...
- A method for internal fixation of unstable distal clavicle fractures: early observations using a new technique
Hand and Upper Limb Unit, Princess Alexandra Hospital, and Brisbane Hand and Upper Limb Clinic, Brisbane, Australia
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:60-2. 2008
Unstable distal clavicle fractures often require open reduction and internal fixation. A variety of fixation methods have been used and are currently in use. None of the current fixation methods seem to be without problems...
- Elastic stable intramedullary nailing is best for mid-shaft clavicular fractures without comminution: results in 60 patients
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Injury 42:324-9. 2011
..Recent studies, however, also report on higher complication rates and specific problems with the use of this technique. This prospective study compares ESIN with non-operative treatment of displaced mid-shaft clavicular fractures...
- Precontoured plating of clavicle fractures: decreased hardware-related complications?
Center for Shoulder, Elbow and Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Columbia University Medical Center, 622 West 168th Street PH 11, New York, NY 10032, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:3337-43. 2011
Operative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures reportedly decreases the risk of symptomatic malunion, nonunion, and residual shoulder disability...
- Minimally invasive intramedullary nailing of midshaft clavicular fractures using titanium elastic nails
Department of Trauma Surgery, University Hospital of Bonn Medical Center, Bonn, Germany
J Trauma 64:1528-34. 2008
..To date, various implants have been developed for open reduction including intramedullary wires, screws, and plates. This study discusses elastic stable intramedullary nailing of midshaft clavicular fractures...
- Surgical treatment of midclavicular fractures: a prospective comparison of Knowles pinning and plate fixation
Yih Shiunn Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Lin Shin Hospital, No 36, Section 3, Huizhong Rd, Nanton District, Taichung City 408, Taiwan
Int Orthop 32:541-5. 2008
..2). In conclusion, if the surgery of mid-third clavicular fractures is indicated, fixation with a Knowles pin has more advantages than plate fixation...
- Plate fixation of middle-third fractures of the clavicle in the semi-professional athlete
University Hospital of Antwerp, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 71:17-21. 2005
..bike racers, soccer players, swimmers and cyclists) with a displaced fracture of the middle-third of the clavicle were treated operatively using rigid plate fixation within one week after the initial trauma...
- A comparison of nonoperative and operative treatment of type II distal clavicle fractures
Andrew S Rokito
NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New York, New York 10003, USA
Bull Hosp Jt Dis 61:32-9. 2002
A retrospective study was performed to compare nonoperative and operative treatments of Type II distal clavicle fractures...
- Shaft fractures of the clavicle: current concepts
Department of Trauma Surgery and Sports Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:807-15. 2009
Fractures of the clavicle are common and have been typically addressed to nonoperative treatment...
- A three-dimensional reconstruction plate for displaced midshaft fractures of the clavicle
J W Shen
Department of Orthopaedic and Traumatic Surgery Zhejiang Province TCM Hospital, Hangzhou 310006, Zheijiang Province, People s Republic of China
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1495-8. 2008
This randomised study compared outcomes in patients with displaced fractures of the clavicle treated by open reduction and fixation by a reconstruction plate which was placed either superiorly or three-dimensionally...
- The aetiology and epidemiology of clavicular fractures. A prospective study during a two-year period in Uppsala, Sweden
Department of Orthopaedics, Uppsala University Hospital, SE 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Injury 31:353-8. 2000
..about three of four fractures occurring through the middle part and one of four through the acromial part of the clavicle. Ninety-five percent healed uneventfully, while non-union developed in 5% - evenly distributed between the middle ..
- Deficits following nonoperative treatment of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures
Michael D McKee
Division of Orthopaedics, Department of Surgery, St Michael s Hospital and the University of Toronto, 55 Queen Street East, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M5C 1R6, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:35-40. 2006
..and surgeon-based outcomes, we used a patient-based outcome questionnaire and objective muscle-strength testing to evaluate a series of patients who had received nonoperative care for a displaced midshaft fracture of the clavicle.
- Operative treatment of midclavicular fractures in 62 elderly patients: knowles pin versus plate
Yih Shiunn Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Taipei City Hospital, Heping Branch, Taipei, Taiwan
Orthopedics 30:959-64. 2007
..02), lower complication rate (P=0.04), and less symptomatic hardware (P=.015). If surgery of mid-third clavicular fractures is indicated, fixation with a Knowles pin has more advantages than plate fixation in elderly patients...
- Complications associated with clavicular fracture
Orthopaedic Department of Evangelismos Hospital, Athens, Greece
Orthop Nurs 28:217-24; quiz 225-6. 2009
..For this purpose, we searched MEDLINE (1965-2005) using the key words clavicle, fracture, and complications...
- Biomechanical comparison of the Locking Compression superior anterior clavicle plate with seven and ten hole reconstruction plates in midshaft clavicle fracture stabilisation
Department of Trauma, Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Julius Maximilians University, Wurzburg, Germany
Int Orthop 36:2537-43. 2012
The purpose of this study was to characterise the biomechanical properties of the seven hole superior anterior clavicle LCP (locking compression plate) and to compare these with the properties of commonly applied implants used for the ..
- Treatment of unstable distal clavicle fractures with Knowles pin
I Ming Jou
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 20:414-9. 2011
Unstable distal clavicle fractures often need surgical treatment. This report describes a new intramedullary extra-articular Knowles pin fixation method to treat these unstable fractures.
- Primary tumours and tumorous lesions of clavicle
Orthopaedics, Lady Hardinge Medical College, Shahid Bhagat Singh Marg, New Delhi, 110003, India
Int Orthop 32:829-34. 2008
Primary tumours and tumorous lesions of the clavicle are very rare, and little literature is available regarding their characteristics and outcome...
- Intraspinal migration of a Kirschner wire 3 months after clavicular fracture fixation
Jens P Regel
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Essen Medical School, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 25:110-2. 2002
..The K-wire was pulled out through an opening of the wound over the right clavicle. No CSF fistula was seen. The patient recovered without any postoperative neurological deficit...
- Clavicle hook plate fixation for displaced lateral-third clavicle fractures (Neer type II): a functional outcome study
Daniel W Good
Department of Trauma Orthopaedics, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Dublin, Incorporating the National Children s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 21:1045-8. 2012
Controversy exists with the use of the acromioclavicular hook plate for the treatment of lateral-third clavicle fractures (Neer type II)...
- Surgical treatment of distal clavicle fractures using the clavicular hook plate
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Toyonaka Municipal Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Clin Orthop Relat Res 447:158-64. 2006
..Care must be used when establishing the position of the hook hole, and it is best to remove the plate after bony union...
- A 2-year experience, management and outcome of 200 clavicle fractures
Department of Orthopedics, Leeds Teaching Hospitals, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Injury 43:159-63. 2012
b>Clavicle fractures can cause pain and functional impairment if not managed appropriately...
- Arthroscopic stabilization for Neer type 2 fracture of the distal clavicle fracture
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Tokyo Medical University, 6 7 1 Nishishinjuku Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:399-403. 2012
The distal clavicle fractures are divided into three types according to Neer's classification. Types 1 and 3 fractures are treated with a sling to immobilize the upper extremity. However, the treatment of type 2 fractures is controversial...
- Transacromial Knowles pin in the treatment of Neer type 2 distal clavicle fracturesA prospective evaluation of 32 cases
Cheng Yuh Fann
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Trauma 56:1102-5; discussion 1105-6. 2004
The high rate of non-union makes surgical intervention necessary for a distal clavicle fracture. This report presents the outcome of a simple surgical method using a transacrominal Knowles pin for this unstable fracture.
- Reconstruction plate versus minimal invasive retrograde titanium elastic nail fixation for displaced midclavicular fractures
Jamal E H Assobhi
Faculty of Medicine for Girls, Al Zahraa University Hospital, Al Azhar University, 5 Al Emam Al Sha rawy str, Assefarat District, Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt
J Orthop Traumatol 12:185-92. 2011
Nonoperative management of midshaft clavicle fractures (MSCFs) is standard; however, it is now generally accepted that displaced midshaft clavicle fractures benefit from internal fixation...
- Clinical results of single-tunnel coracoclavicular ligament reconstruction using autogenous semitendinosus tendon
Jae Chul Yoo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Am J Sports Med 38:950-7. 2010
..Over 60 repair/reconstruction techniques have been described for the treatment of coracoclavicular (CC) ligament injuries...
- Primary clavicle tumors and tumorous lesions: a review of 206 cases in East Asia
Department of Orthopedics, Jinling Hospital, 305 East Zhongshan Road, Nanjing 210002, Jiangsu, People s Republic of China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:883-9. 2012
The aim of this study is to systematically review the published literature from East Asia on the clinical, pathological, and epidemiological characteristics of primary clavicle tumor and tumorous lesions.
- Arthroscopic-assisted locking compression plate clavicular hook fixation for unstable fractures of the lateral end of the clavicle: a prospective study
Kwang Won Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Eulji University College of Medicine, Seo Gu, Daejeon, Korea
Int Orthop 34:839-45. 2010
..of this prospective study was to assess the clinical outcomes of an unstable fracture of the lateral end of the clavicle treated with an arthroscopic-assisted locking compressive plate (LCP) clavicular hook plate...
- Surgical treatment of Neer type-II fractures of the distal clavicle: a meta-analysis
Sylvia A Stegeman
Department of Trauma Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop 84:184-90. 2013
Type-II distal clavicle fractures according to the Neer classification are generally operated because of the high non-union rate after non-operative treatment...
- Operative treatment of clavicle fractures in children: a review of 21 years
Children s University Hospital of Berne Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
J Pediatr Orthop 22:736-9. 2002
Between 1980 and 2000, 15 children (14 boys and 1 girl) underwent surgical treatment of a fractured clavicle at the authors' hospital...
- Treatment of midclavicular nonunion: comparison of dynamic compression plating and low-contact dynamic compression plating techniques
Orthopaedics and Traumatology Department, Medical Faculty, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:396-403. 2004
..001). The addition of internal fixation of the clavicle with DCP or LC-DCP to application of autogenous corticocancellous chips, or sculptured graft on nonunion areas in ..
- Clinical outcomes of midclavicular fractures treated with titanium elastic nails
Yun Feng Chen
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shanghai Sixth People s Hospital, Jiaotong University, 600 Yishan RD, Shanghai, China
Can J Surg 53:379-84. 2010
..Our aim was to evaluate the clinical outcomes of midclavicular fractures treated with titanium elastic nails...
- Operative versus nonoperative management of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures: a prospective cohort study
Command Hospital Air Force, Air port Road, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
J Orthop Trauma 25:31-8. 2011
To compare results of primary internal fixation of acute displaced midshaft clavicle fractures with those managed nonoperatively in terms of fracture union and functional outcome.
- Does delay matter? The restoration of objectively measured shoulder strength and patient-oriented outcome after immediate fixation versus delayed reconstruction of displaced midshaft fractures of the clavicle
Jeffrey M Potter
Division of Orthopaedics, St Michael s Hospital and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:514-8. 2007
Outcome after surgical treatment for nonunion and malunion of midshaft displaced clavicle fractures has generally been described as favorable and equal to results of acute repair...
- Flexible intramedullary nailing for stabilization of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures: technique and results in 87 patients
Department of Surgery Innenstadt, University Hospital of Munich, Munich, Germany
Acta Orthop 78:424-9. 2007
..We describe the surgical technique and outcome in 87 patients...
- Hook-plate fixation of unstable lateral clavicle fractures: a report on 63 patients
Department of Surgery, Division of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, University Hospital Oulu, FI 90029 OYS Finland
Acta Orthop 77:644-9. 2006
Hook-plate fixation of unstable lateral clavicle fractures has given promising results in previous reports, but numbers of patients have been small. We assessed the results of this technique in 63 patients.
- Three-dimensional clavicular and acromioclavicular rotations during arm abduction using vertically open MRI
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hoshigaoka Koseinenkin Hospital, 4 8 1 Hoshigaoka Hirakata City, Osaka 573 8511 Japan
J Orthop Res 25:1243-9. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to analyze the 3D kinematics of the clavicle and acromioclavicular joint during arm abduction, using 3D MR images obtained by a vertically open MRI...
- Conservative treatment of fractures at the middle third of the clavicle: the relevance of shortening and clinical outcome
Orthopaedic Department, Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 15:191-4. 2006
Fractures of the clavicle are common and most often occur in the middle third. The clavicle has several important functions, each of which may be affected after fracture and malunion...
- Operative treatment of completely displaced clavicle shaft fractures in children
Charles T Mehlman
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 29:851-5. 2009
Fractures of the shaft of the clavicle are common in both adults and children. Recent adult studies have indicated that improved outcomes are achieved after open reduction and internal fixation...
- Management of paediatric clavicle fractures--is follow-up necessary? An audit of 346 cases
J D F Calder
Department of Orthopaedics, Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 84:331-3. 2002
We investigated the incidence of complications following childhood clavicle fractures and the necessity for follow-up in fracture clinic after the first orthopaedic consultation...
- Operative versus nonoperative treatment of midshaft clavicle fractures in adolescents
Kelly L Vander Have
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:307-12. 2010
Midshaft clavicle fractures in adolescents have traditionally been treated nonoperatively...
- [Treatment of mid-clavicular fractures in adults. Early results after rucksack bandage or elastic stable intramedullary nailing]
Klinik für Unfall, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitat Koln
Unfallchirurg 108:707-14. 2005
..The aim of this prospective study was to compare the results achieved in two groups of patients treated for mid-clavicular fracture...
- Malunion after midshaft clavicle fractures in adults
Robert J Hillen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Academic Medical Centre University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Acta Orthop 81:273-9. 2010
This is an overview of the current literature on malunion after midshaft clavicle fracture. Anatomy, trauma mechanism, classification, incidence, symptoms, prevention, and treatment options are all discussed...
- Management of midshaft clavicle fractures in adults
Patrick J Denard
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 34:527-36. 2005
Fractures of the clavicle are common injuries. The usual mechanism of clavicle fracture is a direct fall on the shoulder. There are 3 types of clavicle fractures, but type II or midshaft fractures make up the vast majority...
- Complications of clavicle fractures treated with intramedullary fixation
Peter J Millett
Steadman Clinic and Steadman Philippon Research Institute, Vail, CO, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 20:86-91. 2011
Recent studies have demonstrated better outcomes with operative fixation of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures. We hypothesize that the risk of major complication with intramedullary fixation for clavicle fractures will be low.
- Is surgery for displaced, midshaft clavicle fractures in adults cost-effective? Results based on a multicenter randomized, controlled trial
Adam M Pearson
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03755, USA
J Orthop Trauma 24:426-33. 2010
To determine the cost-effectiveness of open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) of displaced, midshaft clavicle fractures in adults.
- Subacromial morphometric assessment of the clavicle hook plate
Amr W ElMaraghy
St Joseph s Health Centre, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Injury 41:613-9. 2010
b>Clavicle hook plates are an effective plate fixation alternative for distal clavicle fractures and severe acromioclavicular joint dislocations...
- Intramedullary nailing of clavicular midshaft fractures with the titanium elastic nail: problems and complications
Department of Trauma Surgery, Davos Hospital, Davos Platz, Switzerland
Am J Sports Med 37:352-9. 2009
..Intramedullary nailing of clavicular midshaft fractures using the titanium elastic nail has been described as a technically easy, minimally invasive operation with few complications and an early return to competitive sports...
- Operative treatment of clavicle midshaft fractures: comparison between reconstruction plate and reconstruction locking compression plate
Chul Hyun Cho
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dongsan Medicial Center, Keimyung University School of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Clin Orthop Surg 2:154-9. 2010
To compare the outcomes of reconstruction plate and reconstruction locking compression plate (LCP) for the treatment of clavicle midshaft fractures.
- Long-term results of conservative management of midshaft clavicle fracture
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Viale Oxford 81, Rome, Italy
Int Orthop 34:731-6. 2010
A series of 91 patients (59 males, 32 females, mean age 41 years) with middle-shaft clavicle fracture were assessed at a mean of 8.7 years after injury. Based on Allman's classification, fractures were placed in group Ia, Ib and Ic...
- Plate fixation of fresh displaced midshaft clavicle fractures
W J Shen
Po Cheng Orthopaedic Institute, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Injury 30:497-500. 1999
From 1992-1994, we operated on 251 fresh completely displaced mid-third clavicle fractures in adults; 232 were followed up. The fractures were plated with a Mizuho C-type plate or an AO/ASIF 3.5 mm reconstruction plate...
- Complications of intramedullary Hagie pin fixation for acute midshaft clavicle fractures
Eric J Strauss
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY 10003, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:280-4. 2007
The purpose of this report was to evaluate patient outcomes after treatment of acute midshaft clavicle fractures with an intramedullary Hagie pin, including clinical results and the incidence of postoperative complications...
- Case report: periosteal osteosarcoma of the clavicle
Douglass Hanly Moir Pathology, Macquarie Park, New South Wales, Australia
Skeletal Radiol 41:1011-5. 2012
..We present a case of a periosteal osteosarcoma of the clavicle, a highly unusual site and representing one of only two such cases documented in the English literature...
- Treatment of distal clavicle fracture using Kirschner wires and tension-band wires
F C Kao
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No. 5 Fu-Hsing St, Kweishan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
J Trauma 51:522-5. 2001
BACKGROUND: Nonunion frequently follows distal clavicle fracture. Traditional pinning methods using the through acromioclavicular articulation may result in osteoarthritic changes or ankylosis...
- Studies on the time frame for ossification of the medial clavicular epiphyseal cartilage in conventional radiography
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Universitätsklinikum Charité der Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Hannoversche Strasse 6, 10015 Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 118:5-8. 2004
..Of these X-rays 699 permitted an assessment of ossification of at least 1 side of the clavicle. In addition to the customary stages (1: non-ossified epiphysis, 2: discernible ossification centre, 3: partial ..
- Surgical treatment for unstable distal clavicle fracture with micromovable and anatomical acromioclavicular plate
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, the 175th Hospital of PLA the Affiliated Southeast Hospital of Xiamen University, Orthopaedic Trauma Center of PLA, Zhangzhou, PR China
Int J Med Sci 9:301-5. 2012
Between 2006 and 2009, 18 patients of distal clavicle fracture were treated with micro-movable and anatomical acromioclavicular plate (MAAP) in our department...
- Treatment for unstable distal clavicle fractures (Neer 2) with locking T-plate and additional PDS cerclage
Clinic for Trauma Surgery, University Hospital Rechts der Isar, Technical University Munich, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 21:1189-94. 2013
The purpose of the current study was to assess the clinical and radiological results after locking T-plate osteosynthesis with coracoclavicular augmentation of unstable and displaced distal clavicle fractures (Neer type 2).
- Distal-third clavicle fracture fixation: a biomechanical evaluation of fixation
G Ryan Rieser
Wright State Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, Miami Valley Hospital, and Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dayton, OH, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 22:848-55. 2013
Approximately 25% of distal clavicle fractures are unstable. Unstable patterns have longer times to union and higher nonunion rates...
- Clinical results of treatment using a clavicular hook plate versus a T-plate in neer type II distal clavicle fractures
Hong Lve Tan
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Changzhou Wujin Hospital, Jiangsu University, Changzhou, China
Orthopedics 35:e1191-7. 2012
..T-plate fixation is another surgical method of treatment for unstable clavicle fractures, and its clinical efficacy has been demonstrated...
- The rhomboid fossa of the clavicle as a sex and age estimator
N L Rogers
Department of Anthropology, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37996 0720, USA
J Forensic Sci 45:61-7. 2000
The costoclavicular (rhomboid) ligament connects the first rib to the clavicle, stabilizing the pectoral girdle...
- Treatment of unstable distal clavicle fractures using two suture anchors and suture tension bands
Sang Jin Shin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Ewha Womans University, School of Medicine, 911 1, Mok dong, Yangcheon Ku, 158 710 Seoul, Republic of Korea
Injury 40:1308-12. 2009
..using two suture anchors combined with two non-absorbable suture tension bands and the clinical and radiological results obtained in patients with acute distal clavicle fractures associated with coracoclavicular ligaments disruption.
- Complications after plate fixation and elastic stable intramedullary nailing of dislocated midshaft clavicle fractures: a retrospective comparison
Frans Jasper Wijdicks
Department of Surgery, Diakonessenhuis Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int Orthop 36:2139-45. 2012
The incidence of operative treatment of dislocated midshaft clavicle fractures (DMCF) is rising due to unsatisfactory results after non-operative treatment...
- Studies on the time frame for ossification of the medial epiphysis of the clavicle as revealed by CT scans
Institut für Rechtsmedizin CCM, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hannoversche Strasse 6, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 119:142-5. 2005
..purposes of this study, the authors reliably determined the ossification status of the medial epiphysis of the clavicle in 556 cases, using the classification of stages by Schmeling et al...
- Anatomy of the clavicle and coracoid process for reconstruction of the coracoclavicular ligaments
Clifford G Rios
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Connecticut, Farmington, Connecticut, USA
Am J Sports Med 35:811-7. 2007
Recently acromioclavicular joint reconstruction techniques have focused on anatomic restoration of the coracoclavicular (CC) ligaments. Such techniques involve creating bone tunnels in the distal clavicle and coracoid.
- Operative and nonoperative treatment of clavicle fractures in adults
Kaisa J Virtanen
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Acta Orthop 83:65-73. 2012
Traditionally, clavicle fractures have been treated nonoperatively. However, many recent studies have concentrated on the results of operative treatment...
- Plating versus intramedullary pin or conservative treatment for midshaft fracture of clavicle: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Department of Orthopaedics, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 20:1008-15. 2011
..Intramedullary pinning and conservative treatments have also been commonly used. We hypothesized that intramedullary pinning and conservative treatments have the same treatment results compared with plating...
- Management of distal clavicle fractures
2nd Orthopaedic Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, G Gennimatas General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Acta Orthop Belg 76:145-9. 2010
Management of type II distal clavicle fractures has always been a challenge. Non-operative treatment has a high risk of complications and should be considered only for elderly and frail patients...
- Postburn head and neck reconstruction in children with the fasciocutaneous supraclavicular artery island flap
Department of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery, Burn Center, University Hospital RWTH Aachen, Aachen University of Technology, Aachen, Germany
Ann Plast Surg 60:276-82. 2008
- [Clavicle fractures]
Klinik für Unfallchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Arnold Heller Strasse 7, 24105, Kiel
Unfallchirurg 111:27-38; quiz 39. 2008
b>Clavicle fractures are the most common break injuries in humans second to radius fractures. They often occur alone, mostly after falling directly onto the shoulder and less often onto the stretched out arm...
- Double-plate fixation in lateral clavicle fractures-a new strategy
Orthopedic Department, Kantonsspital Aarau, Aarau, Switzerland
J Trauma 69:896-900. 2010
Lateral clavicle fractures Neer type II often lead to the dislocation of the medial fragment and an increased rate of nonunion after conservative treatment. Therefore, most authors recommend an open reduction and internal fixation...
- Delayed union of the clavicle treated with plasma rich in growth factors
Hospital Quiron, Barcelona, Spain
Acta Orthop Belg 76:689-93. 2010
Nonunion is an uncommon complication of fracture of the clavicle; it is usually treated surgically. The use of biological treatments in this type of condition is increasingly more common because of their ease of application...
- Thoracic penetration following mid-shaft clavicular fracture
S D Muller
James Cook University Hospital, Marton Road, Middlesbrough, Cleveland TS4 3BW, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:568-70. 2005
..The distal fragment was subsequently found to have penetrated the thoracic cavity. We describe the treatment of this rare injury with a successful outcome...
- Brachial plexus palsy secondary to clavicular nonunion
Department of Vascular Surgery, Pinderfields General Hospital, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
J Trauma 63:E105-7. 2007
- Sequential resection of the distal clavicle and its effects on horizontal acromioclavicular joint translation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut 06034, USA
Am J Sports Med 40:681-5. 2012
..CC) ligament in an open or arthroscopically assisted procedure are often combined with a resection of the distal clavicle to prevent or treat osteoarthritic degenerations of the acromioclavicular (AC) joint...
- Distal clavicle tunnel widening after coracoclavicular ligament reconstruction with semitendinous tendon: a case report
Jae Chul Yoo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 15:256-9. 2006
- Clavicle fracture in labor: risk factors and associated morbidities
M H Beall
Department of OB/GYN, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, 1000 West Carson Street, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
J Perinatol 21:513-5. 2001
OBJECTIVE: Neonatal clavicle fracture has been previously reported to occur in association with shoulder dystocia, suggesting liability on behalf of the obstetrician...
- An unusual case of segmental clavicle fracture
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery, Frimley Park Hospital, Frimley, Surrey GU16 5UJ
J R Army Med Corps 151:93-4. 2005
Fracture of the clavicle is a common traumatic injury and comprises 4% of all fractures in adults. Amongst these, midshaft injuries account for the majority and medial fractures are uncommon...
- Acute midshaft clavicular fracture
Kyle J Jeray
Orthopaedic Surgery Education, Greenville Hospital Systems, Greenville, SC 29605, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 15:239-48. 2007
..6% to 5% of all fractures, and middle third fractures account for 69% to 82% of fractures of the clavicle. The junction of the outer and middle third is the thinnest part of the bone and is the only area not protected ..
- Nonoperative treatment compared with plate fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures. Surgical technique
Sahal A Altamimi
Upper Extremity Reconstructive Service, St Michael s Hospital, 55 Queen Street East, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M5C 1R6, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1-8. 2008
..We sought to compare patient-oriented outcome and complication rates following nonoperative treatment and those after plate fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures...
- Extraskeletal myxoid chondrosarcoma arising from the clavicle
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mie University Faculty of Medicine, Tsu City, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Oncol Rep 16:115-8. 2006
..Plain radiography and CT did not demonstrate any osteolytic lesion or periosteal reaction in the right clavicle. However, MRI showed an isosignal-intensity mass on T1-weighted images and a homogeneous high signal intensity ..
- Intramedullary fixation of Neer type 2 fractures of the distal clavicle with an AO/ASIF screw
J E Scadden
17 St Johns Street, Winchester, Hampshire S023 0HF, UK
Injury 36:1172-5. 2005
Neer 2 fractures of the distal clavicle are notorious for their high rates of non-union and numerous methods of fixation are recommended...
- Bone tumors of the clavicle: risk of malignancy in the elderly and safe needle biopsy
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
Orthopedics 33:397. 2010
The clavicle is a rare site for bone tumors and little is known from the limited literature about the prognostic factors and management techniques, including biopsy...