- Circulating fibronectin affects bone matrix, whereas osteoblast fibronectin modulates osteoblast function
Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Bone Miner Res 25:706-15. 2010
The bone matrix is composed mostly of collagen, but the initial and continuous presence of fibronectin was found to be crucial for collagen matrix integrity in vitro...
- Bone matrix formation in osteogenic cultures derived from human embryonic stem cells in vitro
Center for Oral Biology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 141 04 Stockholm, Sweden
Stem Cells Dev 16:39-52. 2007
b>Bone matrix production and mineralization involves sophisticated mechanisms, including the initial formation of an organic extracellular matrix into which inorganic hydroxyapatite crystals are later deposited...
- Fourier transform infrared imaging microspectroscopy and tissue-level mechanical testing reveal intraspecies variation in mouse bone mineral and matrix composition
Hayden William Courtland
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Bone Diseases, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 83:342-53. 2008
..are therefore able to differentially modulate the composition of their bone mineral and the maturity of their bone matrix in conjunction with tissue-level mechanical properties...
- Osteoblast-specific knockout of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) receptor gene reveals an essential role of IGF signaling in bone matrix mineralization
Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Biol Chem 277:44005-12. 2002
..This action is likely to be particularly important during the pubertal growth spurt when rapid bone formation and consolidation are required...
- Osteomalacia in hyp mice is associated with abnormal phex expression and with altered bone matrix protein expression and deposition
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Endocrinology 142:926-39. 2001
..contributes to the pathogenesis of osteomalacia, we examined the abnormalities of mineralization, Phex, and bone matrix protein expression occurring in Hyp mice in vivo and in ex vivo bone marrow cell cultures...
- Expression of bone matrix protein mRNAs by primary and cloned cultures of the regenerative phenotype of human periodontal fibroblasts
Department of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Dent Res 80:1665-71. 2001
..This study has identified markers that correlate with the known ability of periodontal ligament and regenerating tissue-derived fibroblasts to facilitate regeneration of the mineralized tissues of the periodontium...
- Comparative evaluation of the osteoinductivity of two formulations of human demineralized bone matrix
Department of Pathology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 65:37-42. 2003
In the United States, demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is considered a transplantable tissue and therefore is regulated primarily by the American Association of Tissue Banks...
- Surface-dependent modulation of proliferation, bone matrix molecules, and inflammatory factors in human osteoblasts
Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
J Biomed Mater Res A 89:687-96. 2009
..cartilaginous (hyaluronan-based scaffold), and plastic substrate culture on human osteoblast proliferation, bone matrix molecule, and inflammatory factor expression...
- Gene expression of noncollagenous bone matrix proteins in the limb joints and intervertebral disks of the twy mouse
Department of Pathology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Calcif Tissue Int 63:167-72. 1998
..lesions and the intervertebral disk lesions of the twy mouse, we assessed the mRNA expression of noncollagenous bone matrix proteins such as osteocalcin, osteonectin, osteopontin, and matrix Gla protein (MGP) by in situ hybridization, ..
- Crosslinked three-dimensional demineralized bone matrix for the adipose-derived stromal cell proliferation and differentiation
Key Laboratory of Molecular Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Tissue Eng Part A 15:13-21. 2009
..Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) has been used for tissue reconstruction because collagen presents good cell compatibility...
- Osseous healing using injectable calcium sulfate-based putty for the delivery of demineralized bone matrix and cancellous bone chips
Thomas M Turner
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, Ill, USA
Orthopedics 26:s571-5. 2003
Three formulations of injectable calcium sulfate-based putties containing demineralized bone matrix (DBM), 50% DBM/50% cancellous bone (CB) chips, and 30% DBM/70% CB were studied in canines...
- The effect of crosslinking heparin to demineralized bone matrix on mechanical strength and specific binding to human bone morphogenetic protein-2
Key Laboratory of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 3 Nanyitiao, Zhongguancun, Beijing, China
Biomaterials 29:1189-97. 2008
Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is a collagen-based scaffold, but its low mechanical strength and limited BMP-2 binding ability restrict its application in bone repair...
- Donor age and gender effects on osteoinductivity of demineralized bone matrix
Osteotech, Inc, 51 James Way, Eatontown, New Jersey 07724, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 70:21-9. 2004
Allogeneic demineralized bone matrix (DBM) has been used extensively as a clinical graft material because of its inherent osteoinductive and osteoconductive properties...
- Demineralized bone matrix and spinal arthrodesis
Kenneth J H Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, School of Medicine, 1250 16th Street, 7th Floor, Tower #745, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
Spine J 5:217S-223S. 2005
..One such alternative is demineralized bone matrix (DBM)...
- Autograft versus allograft with or without demineralized bone matrix in posterolateral lumbar fusion in rabbits. Laboratory investigation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Neurosurg Spine 9:84-9. 2008
..Allograft has been used, but has been reported to result in lower fusion rates. Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) has also been used and reportedly increases the fusion rate in a variety of critical defect models...
- The effect of thrombin activation of platelet-rich plasma on demineralized bone matrix osteoinductivity
Department of Surgery, University of Southern California, 1840 North Soto Street EDM 191, Los Angeles, CA 90032, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1459-70. 2009
Demineralized bone matrix is an osteoinductive and osteoconductive material that is often used in orthopaedic surgery to induce bone formation...
- Early expression of bone matrix proteins in osteogenic cell cultures
Paulo Tambasco de Oliveira
Laboratory for the Study of Calcified Tissues and Biomaterials, Faculty of Dentistry, , QC, Canada
J Histochem Cytochem 51:633-41. 2003
..These results indicate that an important proportion of cells used for plating contain BSP and OPN, a situation that should be taken into consideration in experimental analyses of osteoblast activity in vitro...
- Biomolecular characterization and protein sequences of the Campanian hadrosaur B. canadensis
Mary H Schweitzer
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Science 324:626-31. 2009
..Microstructural and immunological data are consistent with preservation of multiple bone matrix and vessel proteins, and phylogenetic analyses of Brachylophosaurus collagen sequenced by mass spectrometry ..
- BAPN dose dependence of mature crosslinking in bone matrix collagen of rabbit compact bone: corresponding variation of sonic velocity and equatorial diffraction spacing
Bioengineering Department, Forsyth Dental Center, Boston, MA 02115
Connect Tissue Res 24:95-105. 1990
Crosslinking density in demineralized bone matrix collagen was found to depend on the beta-aminopropionitrile (BAPN) dose level for compact bone from rabbit femurs...
- In vitro cartilage tissue engineering using cancellous bone matrix gelatin as a biodegradable scaffold
College of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Yanta West Road, No 76, Yanta District, Xi an, Shaanxi Province 710061, People s Republic of China
Biomed Mater 5:045003. 2010
In this study, we constructed tissue-engineered cartilage using allogeneic cancellous bone matrix gelatin (BMG) as a scaffold. Allogeneic BMG was prepared by sequential defatting, demineralization and denaturation...
- BMP stimulation of alkaline phosphatase activity in pluripotent mouse C2C12 cells is inhibited by dermatopontin, one of the most abundant low molecular weight proteins in demineralized bone matrix
Department of Physiological Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Connect Tissue Res 47:271-7. 2006
Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is a complex mixture of osteoinductive bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), as well as BMP-binding proteins that regulate BMP bioactivity and localization...
- Demineralised bone matrix in veterinary orthopaedics: a review
J F Innes
Musculoskeletal Research Group and Small Animal Teaching Hospital, Department of Comparative Molecular Medicine, School of Veterinary Science, University of Liverpool, Leahurst Campus, Neston, Cheshire, CH64 7TE, England
Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 23:393-9. 2010
Demineralised bone matrix (DBM) is commonly used in human orthopaedics as an allograft prepared from cortical bone...
- Effect of hyperbaric oxygen on demineralized bone matrix and biphasic calcium phosphate bone substitutes
Chief Resident in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Anesthesia, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109:59-66. 2010
..effect of hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) on the healing of critical-sized defects that were grafted with demineralized bone matrix (DBM) combined with Pluronic F127 (F127) to form a gel or putty, or a commercially available biphasic calcium ..
- Bone matrix decorin binds transforming growth factor-beta and enhances its bioactivity
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tokyo School of Medicine, Japan
J Biol Chem 269:32634-8. 1994
..of distribution and actions of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta in bone, TGF-beta 1 binding to extracted bone matrix proteins and the influence of such binding on TGF-beta 1 actions were examined...
- In vitro proliferation and differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells on hydroxyapatite versus human demineralised bone matrix with and without osteogenic protein-1
Academic Unit of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Clarendon Wing, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Expert Opin Biol Ther 9:9-19. 2009
Allografting is currently used in lower limb reconstruction surgery. Demineralised bone matrix (DBM) is more osteoinductive compared with allografts but lacks mechanical strength...
- Instrumented posterolateral lumbar fusion using coralline hydroxyapatite with or without demineralized bone matrix, as an adjunct to autologous bone
J S Thalgott
International Spinal Development and Research Foundation, 600 South Rancho Drive, Suite 101, Las Vegas, NV 89106, USA
Spine J 1:131-7. 2001
..However, difficult-to-fuse patients, such as smokers, elderly patients with poor bone quality and/or quantity, or patients with prior posterior surgeries, may have somewhat lower fusion rates...
- Restoration of bone defect and enhancement of bone ingrowth using partially demineralized bone matrix and marrow stromal cells
Hsin Nung Shih
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, No 5, Fu Hsing Street, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan 333, Taiwan
J Orthop Res 23:1293-9. 2005
This study aimed to investigate the capability of combining marrow stromal cells (MSC) and partially demineralized bone matrix (PDBM) to fill bone defect and enhance bone ingrowth using a canine non-weight-bearing gap model.
- Repair of bone defect using bone marrow cells and demineralized bone matrix supplemented with polymeric materials
Basan Gowda S Kurkalli
Investigator in Charge, The international center for Cell Therapy and Cancer Immunotherapy, Top Ichilov at Weizman Center, Tel Aviv Medical Complex, 14 Weizman Street, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 5:49-56. 2010
We present a novel, reverse thermo-responsive (RTR) polymeric osteogenic composite comprising demineralized bone matrix (DBM) and unmanipulated bone marrow cells (BMC) for repair of bone defects...
- Differential adherence of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts to cartilage and bone matrix proteins and its implication for osteoarthritis pathogenesis
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University Hospital of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Scand J Immunol 60:514-23. 2004
..takes place, we investigated the adherence of SF from patients with OA and RA to different cartilage and bone matrix proteins...
- Lumican is a major proteoglycan component of the bone matrix
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Ont, Toronto, Canada
Matrix Biol 21:361-7. 2002
..population of committed osteoprogenitors that in the presence of appropriate supplements form a mineralized bone matrix. The development of the MC3T3-E1 cells can be divided into three major stages, namely, proliferation, ..
- Platelet-derived growth factor inhibits demineralized bone matrix-induced intramuscular cartilage and bone formation. A study of immunocompromised mice
Don M Ranly
Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 315 Ferst Drive N.W, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:2052-64. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of PDGF on the ability of human demineralized bone matrix to induce bone formation in a nude-mouse muscle-implantation model...
- Retroviral delivery of Noggin inhibits the formation of heterotopic ossification induced by BMP-4, demineralized bone matrix, and trauma in an animal model
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213-2582, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:80-91. 2004
..Part 3: Eighty milligrams of human demineralized bone matrix was implanted into the hind limbs of SCID (severe combined immunodeficiency strain) mice along with 100,000, ..
- GBR using bovine bone matrix and resorbable and nonresorbable membranes. Part 2: Clinical results
Paul A Fugazzotto
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 23:599-605. 2003
..Secured titanium-reinforced membranes were shown to be the most ideal means by which to ensure the final morphology of the regenerated hard tissues...
- Comparison of human bone marrow stromal cells seeded on calcium-deficient hydroxyapatite, beta-tricalcium phosphate and demineralized bone matrix
Orthopedic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Schlierbacher Landstr 200A, 69118, Heidelberg, Germany
Biomaterials 24:2593-603. 2003
..Calcium-deficient hydroxyapatite (CDHA), beta-tricalcium phosphate (beta-TCP), and demineralized bone matrix (DBM) were seeded with human BMSCs and kept in human serum and osteogenic supplements for 3 weeks...
- IGF-I and TGF-beta1 application by a poly-(D,L-lactide)-coated cage promotes intervertebral bone matrix formation in the sheep cervical spine
Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, , , Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Spine 27:1710-23. 2002
..in Group 4 demonstrated solid bony fusion after 12 weeks, histomorphometric evaluation showed a more progressed bone matrix formation in the group that had PDLLA-coated cages with IGF-I and TGF-beta1 than in any other group...
- Measurement of bone morphogenetic proteins and other growth factors in demineralized bone matrix
Wright Medical Technology, Inc, Arlington, Tenn, USA
Orthopedics 27:s161-5. 2004
Osteoinductivity of demineralized bone matrix has been attributed to bone morphogenetic proteins (BMP)...
- Osteogenesis by guided tissue regeneration and demineralized bone matrix
Department of Periodontology and Oral Gerontology, Royal Dental College, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Clin Periodontol 30:176-83. 2003
..formation by guided tissue regeneration (GTR) may be influenced by concomitant implantation of demineralized bone matrix (DBM). MATERIALS AND METHODS: Thirty 4-month-old male albino rats of the Wistar strain were used in the study...
- Dynamics of gene expression during bone matrix formation in osteogenic cultures derived from human embryonic stem cells in vitro
Center for Oral Biology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, P O Box 4064, SE 141 04 Huddinge, Sweden
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:110-8. 2009
..BMP2 induced the expression of principle osteogenic factors, such as osterix, bone sialoprotein and osteocalcin, whereas VEGF had the converse effect on the gene expression pattern...
- Bone matrix quality and plasma homocysteine levels
4th Medical Department, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Osteology, Hanusch Hospital of WGKK, AUVA Trauma Centre Meidling, Hanusch Hospital, Austria
Bone 44:959-64. 2009
..The results of the present study offer a mechanism by which homocysteine affects bone quality, but caution should be exercised since all patients examined had sustained fracture...
- Endogenous TGF-beta signaling suppresses maturation of osteoblastic mesenchymal cells
Department of Biochemistry, The Cancer Institute of the Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo
EMBO J 23:552-63. 2004
Transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta), one of the most abundant cytokines in bone matrix, has positive and negative effects on bone formation, although the molecular mechanisms of these effects are not fully understood...
- Bone matrix proteins: their function, regulation, and relationship to osteoporosis
Marian F Young
Craniofacial and Skeletal Diseases Branch, Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Dental Research, National Institutes of Health, MD 20892, Bethesda, USA
Osteoporos Int 14:S35-42. 2003
..The goal of this review will be to describe some of the major known organic components of the bone matrix and discuss their functions as currently perceived...
- MEPE/OF45, a new dentin/bone matrix protein and candidate gene for dentin diseases mapping to chromosome 4q21
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MC 7888, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Connect Tissue Res 43:320-30. 2002
..Our data provide the first evidence that MEPE/OF45 is expressed during odontogenesis and should be considered as a candidate gene for dentin structural diseases mapping to human chromosome 4q21...
- [Three-tunnels core decompression with implantation of bone marrow stromal cells (bMSCs) and decalcified bone matrix (DBM) for the treatment of early femoral head necrosis]
Wei feng Ji
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, the Hospital of Zhejiang Province of TCM, Hangzhou 310006, Zhejiang, China
Zhongguo Gu Shang 21:776-8. 2008
..3-tunnels core decompression with implantation of bone marrow stromal cells(bMSCs) and decalcified bone matrix (DBM) for treatment of femoral head necrosis in early stages, and to study its therapeutic results and ..
- Percutaneous reaming of simple bone cysts in children followed by injection of demineralized bone matrix and autologous bone marrow
Anastasios D Kanellopoulos
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedics, KAT Accident Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Pediatr Orthop 25:671-5. 2005
..unicameral bone cysts using a combination of percutaneous reaming and injection of a mixture of demineralized bone matrix and autologous bone marrow. Follow-up ranged from 12 to 42 months (mean 28 months)...
- Estrogen reduces the depth of resorption pits by disturbing the organic bone matrix degradation activity of mature osteoclasts
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Anatomy and Medicity Research Laboratory, University of Turku, FIN-20520 Turku, Finland
Endocrinology 142:5371-8. 2001
..These results suggest that organic matrix degradation is initiated by MMPs and continued by cysteine proteases; the latter event is regulated by E2...
- Use of calcium-based demineralized bone matrix/allograft for nonunions and posttraumatic reconstruction of the appendicular skeleton: preliminary results and complications
Bruce H Ziran
St Elizabeth Health Center, Youngstown, Ohio, USA
J Trauma 63:1324-8. 2007
..Although most have laboratory or animal data, few have evaluations of clinical performance. We performed an evaluation of a new calcium sulfate-demineralized bone matrix/Allomatrix in the treatment of nonunions.
- Staphylococcus aureus adhesion to bone matrix and bone-associated biomaterials
M C Hudson
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina at Charlotte 28223, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 173:279-84. 1999
..The bacterium expresses several adhesins that facilitate bacterial binding to the bone matrix and to bone implant biomaterials coated with host plasma constituents. The relevant S...
- Homogeneous osteogenesis and bone regeneration by demineralized bone matrix loading with collagen-targeting bone morphogenetic protein-2
Key Laboratory of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 3 Nanyitiao, Zhongguancun, Beijing 100080, China
Biomaterials 28:1027-35. 2007
..When demineralized bone matrix (DBM) impregnated with BMP2-h was implanted subcutaneously in rats, homogeneous bone formation was observed...
- Platelet-rich plasma inhibits demineralized bone matrix-induced bone formation in nude mice
Don M Ranly
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 315 Ferst Drive NW, Atlanta, GA 30332 0363, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:139-47. 2007
..whether platelet-rich plasma is a clinically effective adjunct to osteoinductive agents such as demineralized bone matrix. It contains platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), which decreases osteoinduction by human demineralized bone ..
- Comparison between allograft plus demineralized bone matrix versus autograft in anterior cervical fusion. A prospective multicenter study
H S An
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2211-6. 1995
STUDY DESIGN. This study analyzed the fusion results of an allograft-demineralized bone matrix composite versus autograft in a prospective series of patients undergoing surgery for cervical disc disease. OBJECTIVES...
- Demineralized intramembranous bone matrix augments the healing of endochondral bone graft
A B Rabie
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, China
Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 14:185-97. 1999
The aim of this study was to examine the osteogenic potential of demineralized bone matrix prepared from intramembranous bone (DBMIM) and to examine its effects on the healing of endochondral autogenous bone grafts...
- [The influence of mesenchymal stem cells on bone tissue regeneration upon implantation of demineralized bone matrix]
P V Krugliakov
Tsitologiia 47:466-77. 2005
..The implantation of rat's DBM with MSC led to the formation of a full value bone. MSC suppressed inflammation, when transplantation of hen's DBM was carried out. The application of MSC always improved bone tissue regeneration...
- Bone regenerated via rhPDGF-bB and a deproteinized bovine bone matrix: backscattered electron microscopic element analysis
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Italy
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 27:539-45. 2007
..Similarly, no significant differences were observed at the bone-implant interface between bone regenerated proximal to oxidized versus machined implants...
- Fibrillin-1 and -2 differentially modulate endogenous TGF-β and BMP bioavailability during bone formation
Department of Pharmacology and Systems Therapeutics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Cell Biol 190:1107-21. 2010
..Together, these findings identify the extracellular microfibrils as critical regulators of bone formation through the modulation of endogenous TGF-β and BMP signaling...
- Intervariability and intravariability of bone morphogenetic proteins in commercially available demineralized bone matrix products
Hyun W Bae
Spine Research Foundation, Spine Institute at Saint John s Health Center, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1299-306; discussion 1307-8. 2006
..detect bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) 2, 4, and 7 in 9 commercially available ("off the shelf") demineralized bone matrix (DBM) product formulations using 3 different manufacturer's production lots of each DBM formulation.
- Influence of fluvastatin on bone formation induced by demineralized bone matrix in mice
Chair and Department of Histology and Embryology, Center for Biostructure Research, Medical University in Warsaw, , PL 02-004 Warsaw, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 58:443-7. 2006
..HO was induced by implantation of rat-derived demineralized bone matrix (DBM) into intramuscular pockets in CFW mice. Mice in the experimental groups received fluvastatin at 3...
- Role of bovine bone morphogenetic proteins in bone matrix protein and osteoblast-related gene expression during rat bone marrow stromal cell differentiation
Orthobiologics Laboratory, Discipline of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Craniofac Surg 16:1006-14. 2005
..We examined alkaline phosphatase (ALP) by assay, immunohistochemical studies for bone matrix proteins, and mRNA expression of bone matrix proteins and osteoblast-related analysis by reverse-transcription ..
- Assay of bone morphogenetic protein-2, -4, and -7 in human demineralized bone matrix
William S Pietrzak
Biomet, Inc, Warsaw, Indiana 46581, USA
J Craniofac Surg 17:84-90. 2006
Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is a widely used bone graft material that derives its osteoinductive potential from matrix-associated bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs)...
- DMP1 mutations in autosomal recessive hypophosphatemia implicate a bone matrix protein in the regulation of phosphate homeostasis
Institute of Human Genetics, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Nat Genet 38:1248-50. 2006
..4q21 and identified homozygous mutations in DMP1 (dentin matrix protein 1), which encodes a non-collagenous bone matrix protein expressed in osteoblasts and osteocytes...
- Implants of heterologous demineralized bone matrix for induction of posterior spinal fusion in rats
Institute of Histology, University of Parma, Italy
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:701-7. 1992
The authors tested the osteoinductive capacity of powdered heterologous (bovine) demineralized bone matrix in rats...
- Transforming growth factor beta derived from bone matrix promotes cell proliferation of prostate cancer and osteoclast activation-associated osteolysis in the bone microenvironment
Department of Experimental Pathology and Tumor Biology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya City University, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
Cancer Sci 99:316-23. 2008
..tumors in the bone microenvironment stimulate bone resorption, resulting in release of growth factors from the bone matrix that play important roles in tumor growth and osteoclast induction...
- Periodontal regeneration with peptide-enhanced anorganic bone matrix in particulate and putty form in dogs
Periodontics Department, Louisiana State University School of Dentistry, New Orleans, LA 70119, USA
J Periodontol 76:1690-6. 2005
Peptide-enhanced (using the peptide 15 [P-15] synthetic peptide) anorganic bone matrix (ABM) particulate (PPart) grafts have demonstrated clinical and histologic success in human periodontal defects...
- Efficacy of bovine bone mineral for alveolar augmentation: a human histologic study
Michael R Norton
Department of Oral Medicine and Pathology, GKT Dental Institute, King s College, London, UK
Clin Oral Implants Res 14:775-83. 2003
..All other implants were restored into function, with a survival rate at baseline of 97%...
- Evaluation of platelet-rich plasma in combination with anorganic bovine bone in the rabbit cranium: a pilot study
Tara L Aghaloo
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1668, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 19:59-65. 2004
..This study compares bone healing and formation in 4 cranial defects in rabbits grafted with autogenous bone, xenograft, and xenograft with PRP (with a no-graft group as a control)...
- Comparison of osteogenic potential between apatite-coated poly(lactide-co-glycolide)/hydroxyapatite particulates and Bio-Oss
Sang Soo Kim
Department of Bioengineering, Hanyang University, Seoul 133 791, Korea
Dent Mater J 27:368-75. 2008
..This study showed that a synthetic bone graft material, apatite-coated PLGA/HA particulates, had a comparable bone regeneration potential to the bovine-derived bone graft material, Bio-Oss...
- Bone augmentation in rabbit calvariae: comparative study between Bio-Oss and a novel beta-TCP/DCPD granulate
Faleh Mariño Tamimi
Departamento Química Física II, Complutense University of Madrid UCM, Madrid 28040, Spain
J Clin Periodontol 33:922-8. 2006
..In the present in vivo study, we compare the bone regeneration capacity of a novel brushite cement synthesized in our laboratory (DTG) with Bio-Oss using rabbits as an animal model...
- Reconstruction of supracrestal alveolar bone lost as a result of severe chronic periodontitis. Five-year outcome: case report
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Vienna Medical University, Austria
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 26:425-31. 2006
..Periodontal conditions were stable and fulfilled the patient's desire to eliminate the pockets without compromising esthetics, particularly in the maxillary anterior...
- Effects of platelet-rich plasma on bone healing in combination with autogenous bone and bone substitutes in critical-size defects. An animal experiment
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Clin Oral Implants Res 15:187-93. 2004
..An animal study was carried out to investigate the influence of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) on the regeneration of bony defects...
- Repair of large sinus membrane perforations using stabilized collagen barrier membranes: surgical techniques with histologic and radiographic evidence of success
Department of Implant Dentistry and Oral Rehabilitation, University of Milan, Italy
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 28:9-17. 2008
..The authors have used this technique on 20 consecutive patients without experiencing any procedural failures...
- A comparative evaluation of the effectiveness of an anorganic bone matrix/cell binding peptide with an open flap debridement in human infrabony defects: a clinical and radiographic study
Manohar L Bhongade
Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, Sharad Pawar Dental College and Hospital of Deemed University, Sawangi Meghe, Wardha, Maharashtra State, India
J Contemp Dent Pract 8:25-34. 2007
..The objective of this study is to clinically and radiographically evaluate the effectiveness of the combination of ABM and P-15 (ABM/P-15) 'putty' during regenerative periodontal procedures...
- A prospective clinical study of non-submerged immediate implants: clinical outcomes and esthetic results
Stephen T Chen
Centre for Oral Health Science, School of Dental Science, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:552-62. 2007
..To evaluate healing of marginal defects in immediate transmucosal implants grafted with anorganic bovine bone, and to assess mucosal and radiographic outcomes 3-4 years following restoration...
- Effect of GBR in combination with deproteinized bovine bone mineral and/or enamel matrix proteins on the healing of critical-size defects
Department of Periodontology, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, UK
Clin Oral Implants Res 15:101-11. 2004
..To evaluate the effect of guided bone regeneration (GBR) in combination with or without deproteinized bovine bone mineral (DBBM) and/or an enamel matrix derivative (EMD) on the healing of critical-size calvarial defects...
- Transplantation of engineered bone tissue using a rotary three-dimensional culture system
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta tsukinowa cho, Otsu, Shiga, 520 2192, Japan
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 43:49-58. 2007
..Therefore, this system should be a useful model for bone tissue engineering...
- Clinical evaluation of demineralized bone allograft in a hyaluronic acid carrier for sinus lift augmentation in humans: a computed tomography and histomorphometric study
Faculty of Dental Medicine, Hebrew University Hadassah, Jerusalem, Israel
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:204-11. 2007
..on the hypothesis that the clinical effectiveness of demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft/demineralized bone matrix (DFDBA/DBM) in sinus lifts varies when used in combination bone graft substitute materials...
- Comparison of mineralized cancellous bone allograft (Puros) and anorganic bovine bone matrix (Bio-Oss) for sinus augmentation: histomorphometry at 26 to 32 weeks after grafting
Stuart J Froum
Department of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, College of Dentistry, New York University, USA
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 26:543-51. 2006
..different materials--Puros, a mineralized cancellous bone allograft (MCBA), and Bio-Oss, an anorganic bovine bone matrix (ABBM)--at 26 to 32 weeks following graft placement...
- A new era in periodontal and periimplant regeneration: use of growth-factor enhanced matrices incorporating rhPDGF
Samuel E Lynch
BioMimetic Therapeutics, Inc, Franklin, Tennessee, USA
Compend Contin Educ Dent 27:672-8; quiz 679-80. 2006
- Enamel matrix proteins and bovine porous bone mineral in the treatment of intrabony defects: a comparative controlled clinical trial
Department of Stomatologic Science, Bologna University, Bologna, Italy
J Periodontol 74:1725-35. 2003
..The aim of the present controlled clinical trial was to evaluate the adjunctive effect of filling the intrabony lesion with bovine porous bone mineral (BPBM) to a simplified papilla preservation (SPP) flap and EMP surgical procedure...
- Histomorphometric analysis of natural bone mineral for maxillary sinus augmentation
Geistlich Pharma, Wolhusen, Switzerland
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 19:199-207. 2004
..CONCLUSION: These data suggest that predictable bone formation can be achieved with the use of Bio-Oss...
- Histologic analysis of alveolar bone following guided bone regeneration
Department of Oral Implantology, School of Dentistry, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Periodontol 75:750-6. 2004
..Thus, the anatomical location of the defect may be as important as the properties of the graft material used in obtaining successful osteogenesis using guided bone regeneration techniques...
- Vertical ridge augmentation by expanded-polytetrafluoroethylene membrane and a combination of intraoral autogenous bone graft and deproteinized anorganic bovine bone (Bio Oss)
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:620-9. 2007
- A comparative analysis of bone formation induced by human demineralized freeze-dried bone and enamel matrix derivative in rat calvaria critical-size bone defects
Department of Oral Biology, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Periodontol 79:1217-24. 2008
- Evaluation of substitutes for bone: comparison of microradiographic and histological assessments
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Plastic Surgery, University of Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, D 07747 Jena, Germany
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:41-7. 2007
..2). A quantitative evaluation of chemically sterilised bone by computer was not possible for more than 4 weeks...
- Healing of onlay mandibular bone grafts covered with collagen membrane or bovine bone substitutes: a microscopical and immunohistochemical study in the sheep
W L Adeyemo
Department of Craniomaxillofacial and Plastic Surgery, University of Cologne, Germany
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:651-9. 2008
..The late stage of bone graft healing was associated with a high apoptotic induction pathway of osteoblasts lining the surfaces of the new bone, demonstrated by strong positive Caspase-3 immunoreactivity...
- Lateral ridge augmentation using particulated or block bone substitutes biocoated with rhGDF-5 and rhBMP-2: an immunohistochemical study in dogs
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Clin Oral Implants Res 19:642-52. 2008
..The aim of the present study was to immunohistochemically evaluate lateral ridge augmentation using a particulated (BOG) or block (BOB) natural bone mineral biocoated with rhGDF-5 and rhBMP-2 in dogs...
- Histologic analyses of human mineralized bone grafting material in sinus elevation procedures: a case series
Department of Periodontics and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109-1078, USA
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 26:59-69. 2006
- Dimensional stability of the alveolar ridge after implantation of a bioabsorbable bone graft substitute: a radiographic and histomorphometric study in rats
David D Hile
Cambridge Scientific Inc, 180 Fawcett Street Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
J Oral Implantol 31:68-76. 2005
..These findings suggest the feasibility of using PPF bone graft substitutes for oral-maxillofacial applications...
- Healing of intra-bony defects following treatment with a composite bovine-derived xenograft (Bio-Oss Collagen) in combination with a collagen membrane (Bio-Gide PERIO)
Department of Periodontology, Radboud University Medical Center, 6500 Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 32:720-4. 2005
- Clinical, histologic, and histomorphometric evaluation of mineralized solvent-dehydrated bone allograf (Puros) in human maxillary sinus grafts
Sammy S Noumbissi
Implant Dentistry, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA
J Oral Implantol 31:171-9. 2005
..Test grafts were either replaced by new bone or displayed new bone-to-particle surface contact in higher percentages than did control grafts. No differences in osseointegration or graft stability were noted 2 years after the study...
- A reentry study on the use of bovine porous bone mineral, GTR, and platelet-rich plasma in the regenerative treatment of intrabony defects in humans
Paulo M Camargo
School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 25:49-59. 2005
..Combining BPBM, GTR, and PRP was an effective modality of regenerative treatment for intrabony defects in patients with advanced periodontitis...
- Reduction of autogenous bone graft resorption by means of bio-oss coverage: a prospective study
Department of Oral Surgery, University of Milan School of Dentistry
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 25:19-25. 2005
..The results indicated that bovine bone can be placed over grafted areas, taking advantage of its osteoconductive properties and compensating for the natural bone resorption caused by remodeling...
- Maxillary sinus augmentation with a synthetic cell-binding peptide: histological and histomorphometrical results in humans
Dental School, University of Chieti, Chieti, Italy
J Oral Implantol 30:376-83. 2004
..Such treatment would increase patient satisfaction, decrease surgical complications, and save the clinician substantial operating time...
- Molded vascularized neo-ossicle formation in silicone chambers
Emre A Tomin
Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY 10021, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 465:249-56. 2007
..the model, including osteoprogenitor cells (donor bone marrow), osteoinductive signals (rhBMP2 or demineralized bone matrix), and osteoconductive matrix (Collagraft)...
- A histological evaluation of the involvement of Bio-Oss in osteoblastic differentiation and matrix synthesis
Fabricio I Tapety
Division of Oral Anatomy, Department of Oral Biological Science, Niigata University Graduate School of Medicine and Dental Sciences, Gakkoucho-Dori, Japan
Clin Oral Implants Res 15:315-24. 2004
..In the experimental group, ALPase-positive cells were localized on Bio-Oss and/or on the thin bone matrix that covered this material...
- Acceleration of de novo bone formation following application of autogenous bone to particulated anorganic bovine material in vivo
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Plastic Surgery, University of Jena, Jena, Germany
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:309-16. 2006
This prospective animal study examined the de novo bone formation following application of deproteinized bovine bone matrix (DBBM) with or without autogenous bone (AB) to osseous defects.
- Comparison of an allograft in an experimental putty carrier and a bovine-derived xenograft used in ridge preservation: a clinical and histologic study in humans
Gregory S Vance
Private Practice, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 19:491-7. 2004
..Ridge width and height dimensions were similarly preserved with both graft materials...
- Histomorphometric comparison of a biphasic bone ceramic to anorganic bovine bone for sinus augmentation: 6- to 8-month postsurgical assessment of vital bone formation. A pilot study
Stuart J Froum
Department of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, College of Dentistry, New York University, New York, USA
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 28:273-81. 2008
..sinus grafting with a biphasic calcium phosphate (BCP) (Straumann Bone Ceramic) to an anorganic bovine bone matrix (ABBM) (Bio-Oss) 6 to 8 months following graft placement. Twelve patients were selected...
- Expression of bone matrix proteins during de novo bone formation using a bovine collagen and platelet-rich plasma (prp)--an immunohistochemical analysis
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuermberg, Glueckstrasse 11, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Biomaterials 26:2575-84. 2005
..with autogenous bone or a collagen lyophilisat in combination with Platelet-rich-plasma (PRP) by evaluating bone matrix proteins...
- Regenerative therapy of deep peri-implant infrabony defects after CO2 laser implant surface decontamination
Georgios E Romanos
Unit of Laser Dentistry, Division of Periodontology, Eastman Department of Dentistry, University of Rochester, 625 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 28:245-55. 2008
..These preliminary clinical and radiologic findings suggest that decontamination of the implant surfaces with the CO2 laser in combination with augmentative techniques can be an effective treatment method for peri-implantitis...
- Histologic and elemental microanalytical study of anorganic bovine bone substitution following sinus floor augmentation in humans
Dental School, University of Chieti Pescara, Chieti, Italy
J Periodontol 79:1232-40. 2008
..Histologic data regarding the use of anorganic bovine bone (ABB) in humans are scarce. This study was a histologic evaluation and an examination of the elemental composition of ABB particles and adjacent bone in humans...
- Guided periodontal regeneration using bilayered collagen membranes and bovine bone mineral in fenestration defects in the canine
Department of Periodontology, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 25:509-18. 2005
..The presence or absence of bilayered collagen membranes was the predominant factor influencing bone and cementum regeneration...
- Placement of autogeneic bone chips or bovine bone mineral in guided bone augmentation: a rabbit skull study
Department of Periodontology, The Institute for Postgraduate Dental Education, Jonkoping, Sweden
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 18:795-806. 2003
..Our primary aim was to use a rabbit guided bone augmentation model to evaluate whether use of autogeneic bone grafts or bovine bone mineral (BBM) combined with a space-making barrier enhances bone augmentation compared with a barrier alone...