- Matrix vesicles and calcification
H Clarke Anderson
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, 2017 Wahl Hall West, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160 7410, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 5:222-6. 2003
..In diseases such as osteoarthritis, crystal deposition arthritis, and atherosclerosis, MVs initiate pathologic calcification, which, in turn, augments disease progression...
- Quantitative and sensitive in vitro assay for osteoinductive activity of demineralized bone matrix
Tissue Engineering Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Orthop Res 21:648-54. 2003
A sensitive, rapid, reliable and quantitative method to check the bone forming potential of demineralized bone matrix (DBM) has been developed...
- Inductive effects of dexamethasone on the gene expression of Cbfa1, Osterix and bone matrix proteins during differentiation of cultured primary rat osteoblasts
Department of Periodontology, Nihon University School of Dentistry, 1 8 13 Kanda Surugadai, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 101 8310, Japan
J Mol Histol 35:3-10. 2004
..Thus, it is likely that Dex may promote osteoblastic differentiation and mineralization of FRCC by inducing the expression of Cbfa1 and Osx genes in vitro...
- Bone matrix proteins: isolation and characterization of a novel cell-binding keratan sulfate proteoglycan (osteoadherin) from bovine bone
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Lund, S 221 00 Lund, Sweden
J Cell Biol 141:839-47. 1998
..The binding appears to be mediated by the integrin alphavbeta3, since this was the only integrin isolated by osteoadherin affinity chromatography of surface-iodinated osteoblast extracts...
- Activation of demineralized bone matrix by genetically engineered human bone morphogenetic protein-2 with a collagen binding domain derived from von Willebrand factor propolypeptide
Key Laboratory of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
J Biomed Mater Res A 80:428-34. 2007
..Bone filling materials are important in bone tissue restoration. In this study, the demineralized bone matrix (DBM) was activated with the engineering human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP-2)...
- Two-level contiguous cervical disc disease treated with peek cages packed with demineralized bone matrix: results of 3-year follow-up
GATA Haydarpasa Egitim Hastanesi, Norosirurji Servisi, 34668 Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Spine J 18:238-43. 2009
..To achieve fusion PEEK cages packed with demineralized bone matrix mixed with autologous blood were used...
- Orientation of mineral crystallites and mineral density during skeletal development in mice deficient in tissue nonspecific alkaline phosphatase
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Osteology 4th Medical Department, Hanusch Hospital and UKH Meidling, Vienna, Austria
J Bone Miner Res 18:117-25. 2003
..Also, immunolabeling of osteopontin (OPN) revealed an abnormal distribution pattern of the protein within the bone matrix. Whereas in the wild-type animals OPN was predominantly observed in cement and reversal lines, in the null ..
- Evaluation of demineralized bone matrix paste and putty in periodontal intraosseous defects
Sara A Bender
Private Practice, Frisco, TX, USA
J Periodontol 76:768-77. 2005
Demineralized bone matrix (DBX) paste and putty are particulate demineralized bone matrices in a 2% or 4% hyaluronate carrier, respectively...
- Proteomic characterization of biogenesis and functions of matrix vesicles released from mineralizing human osteoblast-like cells
Department of Biochemistry, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 3 Pasteur St, 02 093 Warsaw, Poland
J Proteomics 74:1123-34. 2011
- Injection of demineralized bone matrix with bone marrow concentrate improves healing in unicameral bone cyst
Claudia Di Bella
Department of Oncology Orthopaedic, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:3047-55. 2010
..Various treatments have been proposed but there is no consensus regarding the best procedure...
- Enhanced guided bone regeneration with a resorbable chamber containing demineralized bone matrix
Experimental Surgery Department, Codivilla Putti Research Institute, Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Trauma 52:933-7. 2002
..The injection of bone marrow stem cells into the chamber had proven to enhance bone regeneration...
- Circulating fibronectin affects bone matrix, whereas osteoblast fibronectin modulates osteoblast function
Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Bone Miner Res 25:706-15. 2010
The bone matrix is composed mostly of collagen, but the initial and continuous presence of fibronectin was found to be crucial for collagen matrix integrity in vitro...
- Bone matrix formation in osteogenic cultures derived from human embryonic stem cells in vitro
Center for Oral Biology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 141 04 Stockholm, Sweden
Stem Cells Dev 16:39-52. 2007
b>Bone matrix production and mineralization involves sophisticated mechanisms, including the initial formation of an organic extracellular matrix into which inorganic hydroxyapatite crystals are later deposited...
- Fourier transform infrared imaging microspectroscopy and tissue-level mechanical testing reveal intraspecies variation in mouse bone mineral and matrix composition
Hayden William Courtland
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Bone Diseases, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 83:342-53. 2008
..are therefore able to differentially modulate the composition of their bone mineral and the maturity of their bone matrix in conjunction with tissue-level mechanical properties...
- Osteomalacia in hyp mice is associated with abnormal phex expression and with altered bone matrix protein expression and deposition
Department of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Endocrinology 142:926-39. 2001
..contributes to the pathogenesis of osteomalacia, we examined the abnormalities of mineralization, Phex, and bone matrix protein expression occurring in Hyp mice in vivo and in ex vivo bone marrow cell cultures...
- Osteoblast-specific knockout of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) receptor gene reveals an essential role of IGF signaling in bone matrix mineralization
Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
J Biol Chem 277:44005-12. 2002
..This action is likely to be particularly important during the pubertal growth spurt when rapid bone formation and consolidation are required...
- Staphylococcus aureus adhesion to bone matrix and bone-associated biomaterials
M C Hudson
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina at Charlotte 28223, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 173:279-84. 1999
..The bacterium expresses several adhesins that facilitate bacterial binding to the bone matrix and to bone implant biomaterials coated with host plasma constituents. The relevant S...
- A comparison of commercially available demineralized bone matrix for spinal fusion
Jeffrey C Wang
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Eur Spine J 16:1233-40. 2007
..the available grafting material as well as to increase spinal fusion rates, the utilization of a demineralized bone matrix (DBM) as a graft extender or replacement is common...
- Bone matrix decorin binds transforming growth factor-beta and enhances its bioactivity
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tokyo School of Medicine, Japan
J Biol Chem 269:32634-8. 1994
..of distribution and actions of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta in bone, TGF-beta 1 binding to extracted bone matrix proteins and the influence of such binding on TGF-beta 1 actions were examined...
- Donor age and gender effects on osteoinductivity of demineralized bone matrix
Osteotech, Inc, 51 James Way, Eatontown, New Jersey 07724, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 70:21-9. 2004
Allogeneic demineralized bone matrix (DBM) has been used extensively as a clinical graft material because of its inherent osteoinductive and osteoconductive properties...
- Homogeneous osteogenesis and bone regeneration by demineralized bone matrix loading with collagen-targeting bone morphogenetic protein-2
Key Laboratory of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 3 Nanyitiao, Zhongguancun, Beijing 100080, China
Biomaterials 28:1027-35. 2007
..When demineralized bone matrix (DBM) impregnated with BMP2-h was implanted subcutaneously in rats, homogeneous bone formation was observed...
- Attachment of osteocyte cell processes to the bone matrix
L M McNamara
Leni and Peter W May Department of Orthopaedics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 292:355-63. 2009
..To date the nature of this attachment is not understood. Osteocytes are embedded in mineralized bone matrix, but maintain a pericellular space (50-80 nm) to facilitate fluid flow and transport of metabolites...
- Demineralized bone matrix and spinal arthrodesis
Kenneth J H Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, School of Medicine, 1250 16th Street, 7th Floor, Tower 745, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
Spine J 5:217S-223S. 2005
..One such alternative is demineralized bone matrix (DBM)...
- The effect of thrombin activation of platelet-rich plasma on demineralized bone matrix osteoinductivity
Department of Surgery, University of Southern California, 1840 North Soto Street EDM 191, Los Angeles, CA 90032, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1459-70. 2009
Demineralized bone matrix is an osteoinductive and osteoconductive material that is often used in orthopaedic surgery to induce bone formation...
- Comparative evaluation of the osteoinductivity of two formulations of human demineralized bone matrix
Department of Pathology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 65:37-42. 2003
In the United States, demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is considered a transplantable tissue and therefore is regulated primarily by the American Association of Tissue Banks...
- Clinical and radiographic treatment evaluation of class III furcation defects using GTR with and without inorganic bone matrix
Daniela Bazan Palioto
University of Sao Paulo, School of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
J Clin Periodontol 30:1-8. 2003
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of guided tissue regeneration (GTR) alone and in conjunction with a bovine inorganic bone matrix in furcation defects.
- Development and characterization of an acellular porcine cartilage bone matrix for use in tissue engineering
Institude of Medical and Biological Engineering, The University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Biomed Mater Res A 99:283-94. 2011
..In conclusion, this study has generated data on the production of an acellular cartilage bone matrix scaffold for use in osteochondral defect repair...
- Optimizing human demineralized bone matrix for clinical application
Department of Tissue Biology, Holland Laboratory, American Red Cross, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Tissue Eng 6:441-8. 2000
The use of human demineralized bone matrix (DBM) powder in periodontal and orthopedic applications is limited by the variability in the osteoinductive or osteoconductive properties of the material...
- The effect of demineralized intramembranous bone matrix and basic fibroblast growth factor on the healing of allogeneic intramembranous bone grafts in the rabbit
Hard Tissue Laboratory, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Arch Oral Biol 47:831-41. 2002
..IM) bone, fresh-frozen allogeneic IM bone only, fresh-frozen allogeneic IM bone and demineralized bone matrix powder prepared from intramembranous bone (DBM(IM)) only, and fresh-frozen allogeneic IM bone and basic ..
- Use of a calcium sulfate-based bone graft substitute for benign bone lesions
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill 60612, USA
Orthopedics 24:162-6. 2001
Twenty-three patients with a benign bone lesion grafted with calcium sulfate, with and without demineralized bone matrix, were reviewed...
- Dose-dependent toxicity of a commercially available demineralized bone matrix material
J C Wang
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine 90095 6902, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1429-35; discussion 1435-6. 2001
A relative risk assessment was performed to determine the safety of three commercially available Grafton demineralized bone matrix quantities used in athymic rats.
- Injectable CMC/PEI gel as an in vivo scaffold for demineralized bone matrix
Kyung Sook Kim
Fusion Biotechnology Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Yuseong, Daejeon, Korea
Biomed Mater Eng 19:381-90. 2009
..carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) and poly(ethyleneimine) (PEI) for use as an in vivo carrier of demineralized bone matrix (DBM)...
- Effects of collagen unwinding and cleavage on the mechanical integrity of the collagen network in bone
Mechanical Engineering and Biomechanics, The University of Texas at San Antonio, 6900 North Loop 1604 West, San Antonio, Texas 78249, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 71:186-92. 2002
- Histological evidence of the altered distribution of osteocytes and bone matrix synthesis in klotho-deficient mice
Division of Anatomy and Cell Biology of the Hard Tissue, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 2 5274 Gakkocho dori, Niigata 951 8514, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 68:371-81. 2005
..The present study examined the histological and ultrastructural features of osteocytes and the surrounding bone matrix in klotho-deficient mice...
- Quantification of various growth factors in different demineralized bone matrix preparations
Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res A 81:437-42. 2007
Besides autografts, allografts, and synthetic materials, demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is used for bone defect filling and treatment of non-unions. Different DBM formulations are introduced in clinic since years...
- The effect of adding an equine bone matrix protein lyophilisate on fixation and osseointegration of HA-coated Ti implants
Orthopedic Research Laboratory, Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, Build 1a, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Biomed Mater Res A 100:188-94. 2012
..the fixation of orthopedic implants could be improved by adding an osteoinductive extract of lyophilized equine bone matrix proteins (Colloss E, Ossacur AG, Germany), between the implant and the surrounding bone...
- Allograft bone matrix versus synthetic bone graft substitutes
Theresienkrankenhaus Mannheim, Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Injury 42:S16-21. 2011
..Alternatives have included allografts and in recent years also demineralized bone matrix. The growing availability of good synthetic bone grafts and their advantages in safety and avoiding donor-site ..
- Mechanical stretch induced calcium efflux from bone matrix stimulates osteoblasts
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Bone 50:581-91. 2012
..924±0.742 pmol cm(-2)s(-1)) from regions of devitalized bone matrix undergoing post-yield strains, induced by a stress concentrator...
- Osteoclast deficiency results in disorganized matrix, reduced mineralization, and abnormal osteoblast behavior in developing bone
Xu Ming Dai
Department of Developmental and Molecular Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Bone Miner Res 19:1441-51. 2004
..We therefore examined the micro- and ultrastructure of the developing bones of osteoclast-deficient CSF-1R-nullizygous mice (Csf1r(-/-) mice)...
- PRP modulates expression of bone matrix proteins in vivo without long-term effects on bone formation
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Plastic Surgery, University of Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, D 07747 Jena, Germany
Bone 38:30-40. 2006
..formation after filling defined defects of the frontal skull with autogenous bone or a deproteinized bovine bone matrix (DBBM) in combination with platelet-rich plasma (PRP)...
- FIAT represses bone matrix mineralization by interacting with ATF4 through its second leucine zipper
Vionnie W C Yu
Genetics Unit, Shriners Hospital for Children, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cell Biochem 105:859-65. 2008
..This structure-function analysis reveals that FIAT interacts with ATF4 and modulates its activity through its second leucine zipper motif...
- The efficacy of different commercially available demineralized bone matrix substances in an athymic rat model
Yu Po Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7036, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:439-44. 2005
..Currently, there are a number of different commercially available demineralized bone matrix (DBM) products available that have been prepared by different methods and have different carriers...
- The enhanced modulation of key bone matrix components by modified Titanium implant surfaces
M R Khan
Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Bone 50:1-8. 2012
..05). These findings suggest that modified Ti surfaces induce an enhancement in osteogenic commitment and differentiation, which likely underlie the deposition of more stable bone matrix early in the healing process in vivo.
- Histologic analysis of implant sites after grafting with demineralized bone matrix putty and sheets
D P Callan
Osteotech, Inc, 51 James Way, Eatontown, NJ 07724, USA
Implant Dent 9:36-44. 2000
..Conflicting reports concerning the osteoinductivity of demineralized bone matrix (DBM) and historical use of synthetic bone graft substitutes has limited the use of DBM in oral and ..
- Periostin is a collagen associated bone matrix protein regulated by parathyroid hormone
Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, PO Box 1112 Blindern, University of Oslo, N 0317 Oslo, Norway
Matrix Biol 29:594-601. 2010
..In conclusion, the present study provides novel observations related to the expression, distribution and regulation of periostin in bone cells and extracellular matrix...
- The effect of demineralized bone matrix-calcium sulfate with vancomycin on calcaneal fracture healing and infection rates: a prospective study
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Marshfield Clinic, 1000 North Oak Avenue, WI 54449, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:487-93. 2006
..We hypothesized that human demineralized bone matrix (DBM) calcium sulfate (CaSO(4)) might act as a reasonable alternative to autograft in calcaneal fractures...
- GBR using bovine bone matrix and resorbable and nonresorbable membranes. Part 1: histologic results
Paul A Fugazzotto
Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 23:361-9. 2003
..13% of the core biopsy volume. Bone regeneration was evident in all specimens...
- Osteomimicry of mammary adenocarcinoma cells in vitro; increased expression of bone matrix proteins and proliferation within a 3D collagen environment
Rachel F Cox
Department of Molecular and Cellular Therapeutics, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
PLoS ONE 7:e41679. 2012
..The expression of several bone matrix proteins were monitored throughout the process of mineralization and increased expression of collagen type 1 ..
- Restoration of bone defect and enhancement of bone ingrowth using partially demineralized bone matrix and marrow stromal cells
Hsin Nung Shih
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, No 5, Fu Hsing Street, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan 333, Taiwan
J Orthop Res 23:1293-9. 2005
This study aimed to investigate the capability of combining marrow stromal cells (MSC) and partially demineralized bone matrix (PDBM) to fill bone defect and enhance bone ingrowth using a canine non-weight-bearing gap model.
- Accelerated repair of cortical bone defects using a synthetic extracellular matrix to deliver human demineralized bone matrix
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Center for Therapeutic Biomaterials, The University of Utah, 419 Wakara Way Suite 205, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84108, USA
J Orthop Res 24:1454-62. 2006
..of Carbylan-GSX, a crosslinked synthetic extracellular matrix (ECM), were used to deliver human demineralized bone matrix (DBM) in a rat femoral defect model...
- Safety and efficacy of commercially available demineralised bone matrix preparations: a critical review of clinical studies
Georgios I Drosos
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, 68100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
Injury 38:S13-21. 2007
Demineralised bone matrix (DBM), a form of allograft, possesses the properties of osteoinductivity and osteoconductivity...
- Safety and efficacy of use of demineralised bone matrix in orthopaedic and trauma surgery
Haralampos T H Dinopoulos
University of Leeds, Academic Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, School of Medicine, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS9 7TF, UK
Expert Opin Drug Saf 5:847-66. 2006
Demineralised bone matrix (DBM) acts as an osteoconductive, and possibly as an osteoinductive, material. It is widely used in orthopaedic, neurosurgical, plastic and dental areas...
- Nuclear alpha NAC influences bone matrix mineralization and osteoblast maturation in vivo
Genetics Unit, Shriners Hospital for Children, 1529 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 30:43-53. 2010
..The reduced quantity of bone matrix in S43A mutant bones was mineralized faster, as demonstrated by the significantly reduced mineralization lag ..
- Vascular endothelial growth pattern during demineralized bone matrix induced osteogenesis
A B Rabie
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Prince Philip Dental Hospital, Hong Kong
Connect Tissue Res 36:337-45. 1997
..of the current study was to determine the timely ingrowth of blood vessels associated with demineralized bone matrix (DMB) induced osteogenesis...
- Core decompression combined with implantation of a demineralised bone matrix for non-traumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head
Department für Orthopädie, Unfallchirurgie und Paraplegiologie, Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Schlierbacher Landstrasse 200a, 69118, Heidelberg, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:1095-103. 2012
..This study evaluated patients after core decompression combined with an augmentation by a demineralised bone matrix, and particularly aimed to report long-term conversion rates to total hip replacement (THR).
- Endogenous TGF-beta signaling suppresses maturation of osteoblastic mesenchymal cells
Department of Biochemistry, The Cancer Institute of the Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo
EMBO J 23:552-63. 2004
Transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta), one of the most abundant cytokines in bone matrix, has positive and negative effects on bone formation, although the molecular mechanisms of these effects are not fully understood...
- Feasibility of demineralized bone matrix for craniomaxillofacial contour restoration
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 22:1888-92. 2011
Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) could be a good alternative for craniomaxillofacial contour restoration, especially in perialar, malar, temporal, and frontal regions...
- Use of demineralized bone matrix in ankle/hindfoot fusion
David B Thordarson
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angles, CA 90033, USA
Foot Ankle Int 24:557-60. 2003
Sixty-three patients who underwent complex ankle or hindfoot fusion had demineralized bone matrix placed in their fusion site to stimulate fusion...
- Commercially available demineralized bone matrix compositions to regenerate calvarial critical-sized bone defects
Tahsin Oguz Acarturk
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:862-73. 2006
Demineralized bone matrix products are often used by surgeons to regenerate bone. Several different types of carriers have been combined with demineralized bone matrix to improve clinical handling and surgical outcome...
- DMP1 mutations in autosomal recessive hypophosphatemia implicate a bone matrix protein in the regulation of phosphate homeostasis
Institute of Human Genetics, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Nat Genet 38:1248-50. 2006
..4q21 and identified homozygous mutations in DMP1 (dentin matrix protein 1), which encodes a non-collagenous bone matrix protein expressed in osteoblasts and osteocytes...
- A cyclo peptide activates signaling events and promotes growth and the production of the bone matrix
INSERM U 577, Université Bordeaux Victor Segalen, Bordeaux 2, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Peptides 24:1349-57. 2003
- Demineralized bone matrix in bone repair: history and use
Synthes USA, 1302 Wrights Lane East, West Chester, PA 19380, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 64:1063-77. 2012
Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is an osteoconductive and osteoinductive commercial biomaterial and approved medical device used in bone defects with a long track record of clinical use in diverse forms...
- [Inhibitory effect of bone sialoprotein silencing on the adhesion ability of breast cancer cells to bone matrix]
School of Bioscience and Bioengineering, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou 510006, China
Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao 27:233-9. 2011
..research mainly to explore the effect of bone sialoprotein (BSP) silence by siRNA on the adhesion ability to bone matrix of bone-seeking breast cancer cells (MDA-MB-231BO)...
- Efficacy of composite allograft and demineralized bone matrix graft in treating tibial plateau fractures with bone loss
Justin T Newman
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, University of Colorado School of Medicine, 777 Bannock St, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Orthopedics 31:649. 2008
..We hypothesized a standardized protocol of internal fixation augmented with a mixture of demineralized bone matrix and corticocancellous allograft chips would result in high healing rates with minimal subsidence...
- Influence of fluvastatin on bone formation induced by demineralized bone matrix in mice
Chair and Department of Histology and Embryology, Center for Biostructure Research, Medical University in Warsaw, Chałubińskiego 5, PL 02 004 Warsaw, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 58:443-7. 2006
..HO was induced by implantation of rat-derived demineralized bone matrix (DBM) into intramuscular pockets in CFW mice. Mice in the experimental groups received fluvastatin at 3...
- Bone matrix osteonectin limits prostate cancer cell growth and survival
Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, 263 Farmington Ave, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Matrix Biol 31:299-307. 2012
..To determine how bone matrix osteonectin affects the behavior of prostate cancer cells, we modeled prostate cancer cell-bone interactions ..
- Direct chemical cross-linking of platelet-derived growth factor-BB to the demineralized bone matrix improves cellularization and vascularization
Biotechnology Research Center Hubei Province Key Laboratory of Natural Products Research and Development, China Three Gorges University, Yichang 443002, PR China
Biomacromolecules 10:3193-8. 2009
In previous studies, we have described the use of demineralized bone matrix (DBM) as a carrier for the localized delivery system of growth factors in vitro and in vivo...
- Abnormal mineral-matrix interactions are a significant contributor to fragility in oim/oim bone
Musculoskeletal Integrity Program, Research Division, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 E 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Calcif Tissue Int 81:206-14. 2007
..To investigate the bone matrix properties, tensile tests combined with geometric analyses were conducted on demineralized femora...
- In situ accumulation of advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) in bone matrix and its correlation with osteoclastic bone resorption
X Neil Dong
Department of Health and Kinesiology, The University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, TX 75799, USA
Bone 49:174-83. 2011
..and elderly (76±4years old) groups were examined to determine the spatial-temporal distribution of AGEs in bone matrix and its effect on bone resorption activities by directly culturing osteoclastic cells on bone slices...
- Acidic bone matrix proteins and their roles in calcification
Department of Oral Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Dentistry, Hokkaido University, N13W7, Sapporo, Japan 080 8586
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 17:1891-903. 2012
..Some of these acidic matrix proteins are immobilized on the collagen fibrils and induce nucleation of hydroxyapatite crystals. They can also modulate crystal shape by adsorption on a specific face of the crystals...
- Low oxygen tension enhances chondroinduction by demineralized bone matrix in human dermal fibroblasts in vitro
Orthopedic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 180:151-8. 2005
..In sum, hypoxia enhanced cartilage matrix accumulation by hDFs cultured with DBP. These defined conditions can optimize the use of dermal fibroblasts for cartilage tissue engineering...
- Autologous bone marrow grafting combined with demineralized bone matrix improves consolidation of docking site after distraction osteogenesis
1st Orthopaedic Department of Aristotle University of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:671-8. 2011
..We further sought to clarify whether the application of autologous bone marrow cells combined with demineralized bone matrix would substantially improve docking site consolidation.
- Anisotropy of demineralized bone matrix under compressive load
Department of Biophysics, Medical University of Lublin
Acta Bioeng Biomech 13:71-6. 2011
..Both secant modulus of elasticity and AE parameters were significantly higher in T direction than in L direction, which is attributed to shifting and separation of lamellae of collagen fibrils and lamellae in bone matrix.
- Effects of fixation and decalcification on the immunohistochemical localization of bone matrix proteins in fresh-frozen bone sections
Department of Oral Histology, Matsumoto Dental University, 1780 Gobara Hirooka, Shiojiri, Nagano, 399 0781, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 123:639-46. 2005
To examine the stability of bone matrix proteins for crystal dislocation, the immunolocalization of type I collagen, bone sialoprotein, and osteopontin was investigated during different stages of fixation and decalcification...
- The ratio of osteocytic incorporation to bone matrix formation in femoral neck cancellous bone: an enhanced osteoblast work rate in the vicinity of hip osteoarthritis
G R Jordan
Bone Research Group MRC, Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge Clinical School, Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Calcif Tissue Int 72:190-6. 2003
..One possible approach to strengthening bone in osteoporosis might be to enhance the effective lifespan of the osteoblast by modulating TGFb-related pathway activity in its local environment...
- Blueberry consumption prevents loss of collagen in bone matrix and inhibits senescence pathways in osteoblastic cells
Arkansas Children s Nutrition Center, Slot 512 20B 15 Children s Way, Little Rock, AR 72202, USA
Age (Dordr) 35:807-20. 2013
Ovariectomy (OVX)-induced bone loss has been linked to increased bone turnover and higher bone matrix collagen degradation as the result of osteoclast activation...
- Diosgenin stimulates osteogenic activity by increasing bone matrix protein synthesis and bone-specific transcription factor Runx2 in osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells
Ethel H Alcantara
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Andong National University, Andong, KyungBook, South Korea
J Nutr Biochem 22:1055-63. 2011
..The medium and cellular levels of Type 1 collagen and alkaline phosphatase (ALP), both of which are major bone matrix proteins, increased within the low range of diosgenin concentration (>0-3 μM), and this pattern was further ..
- Osteoinductivity of demineralized bone matrix in immunocompromised mice and rats is decreased by ovariectomy and restored by estrogen replacement
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 315 Ferst Drive NW, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Bone 40:111-21. 2007
The osteoinduction potential of human demineralized bone matrix (DBM) in females with low estrogen (E2) is unknown...
- The expression of bone matrix protein mRNAs around beta-TCP particles implanted into bone
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Kawahara cho, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Biomed Mater Res 52:460-6. 2000
..The latter cells may be macrophages and reflect foreign body reactions. Expression of these OPN mRNAs induced by implantation of beta-TCP may play a role in bone formation on the materials and in determining their biocompatibility...
- Intrinsic axial vascularization of an osteoconductive bone matrix by means of an arteriovenous vascular bundle
Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, University of Erlangen Medical Center, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:855-68. 2007
..The authors also evaluated corrosion cast and intravital magnetic resonance angiography as methods for monitoring and quantifying the angiogenic response...
- Early expression of bone matrix proteins in osteogenic cell cultures
Paulo Tambasco de Oliveira
Laboratory for the Study of Calcified Tissues and Biomaterials, Faculty of Dentistry, Universite de Montreal, QC, Canada
J Histochem Cytochem 51:633-41. 2003
..These results indicate that an important proportion of cells used for plating contain BSP and OPN, a situation that should be taken into consideration in experimental analyses of osteoblast activity in vitro...
- Surface-dependent modulation of proliferation, bone matrix molecules, and inflammatory factors in human osteoblasts
Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
J Biomed Mater Res A 89:687-96. 2009
..cartilaginous (hyaluronan-based scaffold), and plastic substrate culture on human osteoblast proliferation, bone matrix molecule, and inflammatory factor expression...
- Autograft versus allograft with or without demineralized bone matrix in posterolateral lumbar fusion in rabbits. Laboratory investigation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Neurosurg Spine 9:84-9. 2008
..Allograft has been used, but has been reported to result in lower fusion rates. Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) has also been used and reportedly increases the fusion rate in a variety of critical defect models...
- Crosslinked three-dimensional demineralized bone matrix for the adipose-derived stromal cell proliferation and differentiation
Key Laboratory of Molecular Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Tissue Eng Part A 15:13-21. 2009
..Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) has been used for tissue reconstruction because collagen presents good cell compatibility...
- BMP stimulation of alkaline phosphatase activity in pluripotent mouse C2C12 cells is inhibited by dermatopontin, one of the most abundant low molecular weight proteins in demineralized bone matrix
Department of Physiological Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Connect Tissue Res 47:271-7. 2006
Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is a complex mixture of osteoinductive bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), as well as BMP-binding proteins that regulate BMP bioactivity and localization...
- The effect of crosslinking heparin to demineralized bone matrix on mechanical strength and specific binding to human bone morphogenetic protein-2
Key Laboratory of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 3 Nanyitiao, Zhongguancun, Beijing, China
Biomaterials 29:1189-97. 2008
Demineralized bone matrix (DBM) is a collagen-based scaffold, but its low mechanical strength and limited BMP-2 binding ability restrict its application in bone repair...
- Biomolecular characterization and protein sequences of the Campanian hadrosaur B. canadensis
Mary H Schweitzer
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Science 324:626-31. 2009
..Microstructural and immunological data are consistent with preservation of multiple bone matrix and vessel proteins, and phylogenetic analyses of Brachylophosaurus collagen sequenced by mass spectrometry ..
- In vitro proliferation and differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells on hydroxyapatite versus human demineralised bone matrix with and without osteogenic protein-1
Academic Unit of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Clarendon Wing, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Expert Opin Biol Ther 9:9-19. 2009
Allografting is currently used in lower limb reconstruction surgery. Demineralised bone matrix (DBM) is more osteoinductive compared with allografts but lacks mechanical strength...
- Osseous healing using injectable calcium sulfate-based putty for the delivery of demineralized bone matrix and cancellous bone chips
Thomas M Turner
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Ill, USA
Orthopedics 26:s571-5. 2003
Three formulations of injectable calcium sulfate-based putties containing demineralized bone matrix (DBM), 50% DBM/50% cancellous bone (CB) chips, and 30% DBM/70% CB were studied in canines...
- Expression of bone matrix protein mRNAs by primary and cloned cultures of the regenerative phenotype of human periodontal fibroblasts
Department of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Dent Res 80:1665-71. 2001
..This study has identified markers that correlate with the known ability of periodontal ligament and regenerating tissue-derived fibroblasts to facilitate regeneration of the mineralized tissues of the periodontium...
- In vitro cartilage tissue engineering using cancellous bone matrix gelatin as a biodegradable scaffold
College of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Yanta West Road, No 76, Yanta District, Xi an, Shaanxi Province 710061, People s Republic of China
Biomed Mater 5:045003. 2010
In this study, we constructed tissue-engineered cartilage using allogeneic cancellous bone matrix gelatin (BMG) as a scaffold. Allogeneic BMG was prepared by sequential defatting, demineralization and denaturation...
- BAPN dose dependence of mature crosslinking in bone matrix collagen of rabbit compact bone: corresponding variation of sonic velocity and equatorial diffraction spacing
Bioengineering Department, Forsyth Dental Center, Boston, MA 02115
Connect Tissue Res 24:95-105. 1990
Crosslinking density in demineralized bone matrix collagen was found to depend on the beta-aminopropionitrile (BAPN) dose level for compact bone from rabbit femurs...
- Effect of hyperbaric oxygen on demineralized bone matrix and biphasic calcium phosphate bone substitutes
Chief Resident in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Anesthesia, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109:59-66. 2010
..effect of hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) on the healing of critical-sized defects that were grafted with demineralized bone matrix (DBM) combined with Pluronic F127 (F127) to form a gel or putty, or a commercially available biphasic calcium ..
- Gene expression of noncollagenous bone matrix proteins in the limb joints and intervertebral disks of the twy mouse
Department of Pathology, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Calcif Tissue Int 63:167-72. 1998
..lesions and the intervertebral disk lesions of the twy mouse, we assessed the mRNA expression of noncollagenous bone matrix proteins such as osteocalcin, osteonectin, osteopontin, and matrix Gla protein (MGP) by in situ hybridization, ..
- Demineralised bone matrix in veterinary orthopaedics: a review
J F Innes
Musculoskeletal Research Group and Small Animal Teaching Hospital, Department of Comparative Molecular Medicine, School of Veterinary Science, University of Liverpool, Leahurst Campus, Neston, Cheshire, CH64 7TE, England
Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 23:393-9. 2010
Demineralised bone matrix (DBM) is commonly used in human orthopaedics as an allograft prepared from cortical bone...
- Percutaneous reaming of simple bone cysts in children followed by injection of demineralized bone matrix and autologous bone marrow
Anastasios D Kanellopoulos
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedics, KAT Accident Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Pediatr Orthop 25:671-5. 2005
..unicameral bone cysts using a combination of percutaneous reaming and injection of a mixture of demineralized bone matrix and autologous bone marrow. Follow-up ranged from 12 to 42 months (mean 28 months)...
- Differential adherence of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts to cartilage and bone matrix proteins and its implication for osteoarthritis pathogenesis
Department of Internal Medicine I, Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University Hospital of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Scand J Immunol 60:514-23. 2004
..takes place, we investigated the adherence of SF from patients with OA and RA to different cartilage and bone matrix proteins...
- Dynamics of gene expression during bone matrix formation in osteogenic cultures derived from human embryonic stem cells in vitro
Center for Oral Biology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, P O Box 4064, SE 141 04 Huddinge, Sweden
Biochim Biophys Acta 1790:110-8. 2009
..BMP2 induced the expression of principle osteogenic factors, such as osterix, bone sialoprotein and osteocalcin, whereas VEGF had the converse effect on the gene expression pattern...
- Fibrillin-1 and -2 differentially modulate endogenous TGF-β and BMP bioavailability during bone formation
Department of Pharmacology and Systems Therapeutics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Cell Biol 190:1107-21. 2010
..Together, these findings identify the extracellular microfibrils as critical regulators of bone formation through the modulation of endogenous TGF-β and BMP signaling...
- [Three-tunnels core decompression with implantation of bone marrow stromal cells (bMSCs) and decalcified bone matrix (DBM) for the treatment of early femoral head necrosis]
Wei feng Ji
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, the Hospital of Zhejiang Province of TCM, Hangzhou 310006, Zhejiang, China
Zhongguo Gu Shang 21:776-8. 2008
..3-tunnels core decompression with implantation of bone marrow stromal cells(bMSCs) and decalcified bone matrix (DBM) for treatment of femoral head necrosis in early stages, and to study its therapeutic results and ..
- Lumican is a major proteoglycan component of the bone matrix
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Ont, Toronto, Canada
Matrix Biol 21:361-7. 2002
..population of committed osteoprogenitors that in the presence of appropriate supplements form a mineralized bone matrix. The development of the MC3T3-E1 cells can be divided into three major stages, namely, proliferation, ..