- Effect of cisterna chyli ablation combined with thoracic duct ligation on abdominal lymphatic drainage
James M Fingeroth
Vet Surg 34:295; author reply 295. 2005
- [Management of postoperative chylothorax]
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique et Cardiovasculaire, Hôpital Abderrahmen Mami Ariana, Tunisie
Rev Mal Respir 23:152-6. 2006
..A chylothorax can occur following any intrathoracic procedure. It is generally straightforward to make the diagnosis but optimal management can be problematic...
- [En bloc ligation of the thoracic duct in twelve dogs with idiopathic chylothorax]
F W Viehoff
Hoofdafdeling Geneeskunde van Gezelschapsdieren, Faculteit der Diergeneeskunde, Universiteit Utrecht, Postbus 80154, 3508 TD Utrecht
Tijdschr Diergeneeskd 128:278-83. 2003
Twelve dogs with idiopathic chylothorax were treated by en bloc ligation of the thoracic duct. Six dogs recovered completely. Minimal follow-up in this group was 12 months...
- Thoracoscopic management of thoracic duct injury: Is there a place for conservatism?
Departments of Surgical Disciplines, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
J Postgrad Med 50:57-9. 2004
b>Thoracic duct injury is a rare but serious complication following chest surgeries and major neck dissections. Clinically, it can present as cervical chylous fistula, chylothorax or chylopericardium...
- Images in clinical medicine. Chylothorax and chyloperitoneum
Thai Yen Ly
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON MN4 3M5, Canada
N Engl J Med 353:616. 2005
- A modified rat model for cannulation and collection of thoracic duct lymph
Department of Emergency, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Lymphology 44:82-8. 2011
..Here we report a simple and effective modified rat model for thoracic duct lymph drainage where animals remain in full consciousness and have free movement and access to water and food ..
- Prevention of postoperative chylothorax with thoracic duct ligation during video-assisted thoracoscopic esophagectomy for cancer
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Institute of Surgery Research, Daping Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Changjiang Route 10, Daping, Chongqing, 400042, The People s Republic of China
Surg Endosc 26:1332-6. 2012
..In this retrospective series, we evaluated the results of preventive intraoperative thoracic duct ligation in patients who underwent video-assisted thoracoscopic esophagectomy for cancer.
- [Thoracic duct valves in man and albino rat]
V M Petrenko
Morfologiia 126:40-2. 2004
..The aim of this research was to determine the number, structure and position of valves along the whole length of thoracic duct in man and albino rat...
- Near-infrared fluorescence imaging of thoracic duct anatomy and function in open surgery and video-assisted thoracic surgery
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Mass 02215, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 142:31-8.e1-2. 2011
Chylothorax resulting from thoracic duct damage is often difficult to identify and repair...
- One technique, two approaches, and results: thoracic duct cannulation in small laboratory animals
Pius Branzeu Center for Laparoscopic Surgery and Microsurgery, Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Romania
Microsurgery 23:239-45. 2003
Experimental studies in immunology, pharmacology, or hematology require the sampling of the total thoracic duct lymph in awake and unrestrained rats or mice...
- Successful treatment of plastic bronchitis with low fat diet and subsequent thoracic duct ligation in child with fontan physiology
Department of Pediatrics, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona USA
Lymphology 45:47-52. 2012
..We report an 11 year old boy who developed severe plastic bronchitis following Fontan repair and the successful long-term control of cast formation utilizing a low-fat diet and subsequent thoracic duct ligation.
- Differential effects of myosin light chain kinase inhibition on contractility, force development and myosin light chain 20 phosphorylation of rat cervical and thoracic duct lymphatics
Zhanna V Nepiyushchikh
Department of Systems Biology and Translational Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Division of Lymphatic Biology, Texas A and M Health Science Center College of Medicine, 336 Reynolds Medical Building, College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Physiol 589:5415-29. 2011
..cervical lymphatics possess an inherently higher frequency but lower tone at a given pressure when compared to thoracic duct lymphatics...
- HOXC9 regulates formation of parachordal lymphangioplasts and the thoracic duct in zebrafish via stabilin 2
Sandra J Stoll
Department of Vascular Biology and Tumor Angiogenesis, Center for Biomedicine and Medical Technology Mannheim CBTM, Medical Faculty Mannheim, Heidelberg University, Mannheim, Germany
PLoS ONE 8:e58311. 2013
..Morpholino-based expression silencing of HOXC9 repressed parachordal lymphangioblast assembly and thoracic duct formation in zebrafish...
- Video-assisted right supradiaphragmatic thoracic duct ligation for non-traumatic recurrent chylothorax
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1010 Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:810-4. 2006
..We report our experience with video-assisted right-sided supradiaphragmatic thoracic duct ligation for non-traumatic, non-postoperative persistent or recurrent chylothorax.
- Plastic bronchitis: is thoracic duct ligation a real surgical option?
S Salman A Shah
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 81:2281-3. 2006
..normal Fontan pressures on cardiac catheterization, we decided to explore a surgical solution by performing a thoracic duct ligation...
- Bacterial translocation to the thoracic duct in a setting of ischemia, partial resection and reperfusion of the porcine liver
L C Lemaire
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 16:222-8. 1999
..We investigated whether bacterial translocation occurs beyond the MLNs into the thoracic duct in a setting of ischemia, partial resection and reperfusion of the porcine liver.
- Thoracic duct ligation and pericardectomy for treatment of idiopathic chylothorax
Theresa W Fossum
Michael E DeBakey Institute for Comparative Cardiovascular Sciences and Biomedical Devices, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX, USA
J Vet Intern Med 18:307-10. 2004
..abnormal venous pressures would act to impede the drainage of chyle via lymphaticovenous communications after thoracic duct (TD) ligation...
- Percutaneous treatment of high-output chylothorax with embolization or needle disruption technique
Christoph A Binkert
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:1257-62. 2005
Surgical ligation of the thoracic duct is associated with a high degree of morbidity; therefore, a minimally invasive approach is desirable. Herein, eight percutaneously treated patients are described...
- Cisterna chyli ablation with thoracic duct ligation for chylothorax: results in eight dogs
Department of Surgical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Vet Surg 34:519-23. 2005
To report use of combined cisterna chyli ablation (CCA) and thoracic duct ligation (TDL) for treatment of spontaneously occurring chylothorax in dogs.
- Thoracoscopic thoracic duct ligation and thoracoscopic pericardectomy for treatment of chylothorax in dogs
David A Allman
Department of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Vet Surg 39:21-7. 2010
To report the use of thoracoscopic thoracic duct ligation (TDL) and pericardectomy for treatment of chylothorax.
- Chylothorax treated via thoracic duct ligation and omentalization
Department of Surgery, Chesapeake Veterinary Surgical Specialists, 808 Bestgate Road, Annapolis, Maryland 21401, USA
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 46:312-7. 2010
..All animals received thoracic duct ligation and thoracic omentalization...
- Treatment of idiopathic chylothorax in 14 dogs by ligation of the thoracic duct and partial pericardiectomy
Dick White Referrals, London Road, Six Mile Bottom, Newmarket, Suffolk CB8 0UH, UK
Vet Rec 163:743-5. 2008
The outcome and complications associated with thoracic duct ligation combined with partial pericardiectomy in 14 dogs with idiopathic chylothorax were investigated retrospectively...
- Management of chylothorax by percutaneous catheterization and embolization of the thoracic duct: prospective trial
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 10:1248-54. 1999
To prospectively assess the efficacy of percutaneous transabdominal thoracic duct catheterization and embolization in the management of patients with high-output chylothoracic effusions.
- Establishment and characterization of conditionally immortalized endothelial cell lines from the thoracic duct and inferior vena cava of tsA58/EGFP double-transgenic rats
Department of Anatomy, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 326:749-58. 2006
..The cloned cell lines were named TR-LE (temperature-sensitive rat lymphatic endothelial cells from thoracic duct) and TR-BE (temperature-sensitive rat blood-vessel endothelial cells from inferior vena cava), respectively, ..
- Nonoperative thoracic duct embolization for traumatic thoracic duct leak: experience in 109 patients
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Interventional Radiology, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19004, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:584-89; discussion 589-90. 2010
..To demonstrate the efficacy of a minimally invasive, nonoperative, catheter-based approach to the treatment of traumatic chyle leak...
- Peritoneoatrial shunting for intractable chylous ascites complicating thoracic duct ligation
Francoise Le Pimpec-Barthes
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Georges Pompidou European Hospital, Paris Descartes University, Paris, France
Ann Thorac Surg 87:1601-3. 2009
b>Thoracic duct ligation for chylothorax is considered a safe and efficient procedure. However, we observed two cases that were complicated by intractable chylous ascites...
- Inhibition of the active lymph pump by flow in rat mesenteric lymphatics and thoracic duct
Anatoliy A Gashev
Department of Medical Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, College of Medicine, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, 336 Reynolds Medical Building, College Station, TX 77843 1114, USA
J Physiol 540:1023-37. 2002
..Imposed flow inhibited the active lymph pump in both mesenteric lymphatics and in the thoracic duct. The active pump of the thoracic duct appeared more sensitive to flow than did the active pump of the ..
- Thoracic duct cysts: a rare differential diagnosis
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:330-3. 2005
Cysts of the thoracic duct located in the supraclavicular region are uncommon. To date only 12 cases in this topographic area have been described in the literature...
- Ultrasonic scalpel for sealing of the thoracic duct: evaluation of effectiveness in an animal model
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Kanagawa Cancer Center, Yokohama 241 0815, Japan
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:399-401. 2009
..The whole length of thoracic duct of each pig was clearly imaged by pigment...
- Anatomic landmarks for the cervical portion of the thoracic duct
Pediatric Neurosurgery, Children s Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
Neurosurgery 53:1385-7; discussion 1387-8. 2003
Avoidance of injury to the thoracic duct during neurosurgical procedures involving the cervical region depends on a working knowledge of its location...
- Temporal changes in the distribution of thoracic duct lymphoblasts to synovium and other tissues of rats with adjuvant-induced arthritis
Leslie G Cleland
The Arthritis Research Laboratory of the Hanson Centre for Cancer Research, Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Immunol Cell Biol 80:148-55. 2002
..b>Thoracic duct lymphoblasts labelled in vitro with [125I]-iododeoxyuridine were detected in recipient rats by external ..
- Treatment of chylothorax by robotic thoracic duct ligation
Kari J Thompson
City of Hope, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:334-6. 2008
..After left lower lobectomy, left-sided chylothorax developed. Conservative management failed, and a robotic right-sided thoracic duct ligation was performed. Other treatment options are reviewed.
- Management of chyle fistula utilizing thoracoscopic ligation of the thoracic duct
Chad B Gunnlaugsson
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0312, USA
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 66:148-54. 2004
To document the treatment of refractory chyle leaks using thoracoscopic thoracic duct ligation and provide systematic guidelines to manage chyle leaks.
- Thoracoscopic thoracic duct ligation for traumatic chylothorax
K G Buchan
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Papworth Hospital, Papworth Everard, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 72:1366-7. 2001
..This usually entails thoracotomy or laparotomy. We report a case in which successful ligation of a torn thoracic duct was achieved using a video-assisted thoracoscopic technique.
- Thoracoscopic ligation of the thoracic duct
Department of Surgery, New York Medical College, Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
JSLS 4:239-42. 2000
When nonoperative treatment of chylothorax fails, thoracic duct ligation is usually performed through a thoracotomy...
- Ligation of the thoracic duct for the treatment of chylothorax in heart diseases
Paulo M Pêgo-Fernandes
Instituto do Coracao, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 81:309-17. 2003
..We report 4 cases of chylothorax in patients who were successfully treated with this approach, which resulted in a decrease in pleural drainage without recurrent chylothorax...
- Ultrasound-guided mesenteric lymph node iohexol injection for thoracic duct computed tomographic lymphography in cats
Department of Veterinary Medical Imaging, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Korea
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 52:302-5. 2011
..The thoracic duct and its branches were clearly delineated in CT images of seven cats studied...
- Increased lymphatic flow in the thoracic duct during manipulative intervention
E Marty Knott
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, Department of Integrative Physiology, Fort Worth, TX 76107 2644, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 105:447-56. 2005
..The authors surgically instrumented five mongrel dogs to record lymphatic flow in the thoracic duct (TDF) and cardiac variables during three intervention protocols...
- Thoracic duct embolization: a new treatment for massive leak after neck dissection
Department of Radiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Laryngoscope 118:680-3. 2008
Chylothorax results from injury to the thoracic duct or one of its branches. It is an uncommon but possibly serious complication of thoracic or head and neck surgery...
- Retrograde cannulation of the thoracic duct and embolization of the cisterna chyli in the treatment of chylous ascites
Department of Radiology, Section of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Maine Medical Center, 22 Bramhall St, Portland, ME 04102, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:285-90. 2008
..After the failure of conventional percutaneous direct cisterna chyli cannulation, the authors accessed the thoracic duct directly from the subclavian vein...
- Introduction of lymphangiography and percutaneous embolization of the thoracic duct in a stepwise approach to the management of chylous fistulas
Arnoud T van Goor
Department of Head and Neck Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Head Neck 29:1017-23. 2007
..This article reports on percutaneous embolization of the thoracic duct through catheterization of the retroperitoneal lymph vessels.
- Minimally invasive management of chylous fistula after esophagectomy
J D Hayden
The Department of Esophago Gastric Surgery, The General Infirmary at Leeds, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
Dis Esophagus 20:251-5. 2007
..Open surgery may be appropriate where minimally invasive approaches fail or where the availability of such skills is limited...
- Percutaneous translymphatic thoracic duct embolization for treatment of chylothorax
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral, Thorax und Gefässchirurgie Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universität Bonn
Rofo 173:580-2. 2001
A modified technique for transabdominal, translymphatic occlusion of the thoracic duct is described...
- Human thoracic duct in vitro: diameter-tension properties, spontaneous and evoked contractile activity
Dept of Physiology and Biophysics, Aarhus Univ, Ole Worms Alle 4, Universitetsparken, DK 8000 Arhus C, Denmark
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 299:H811-8. 2010
The current study characterizes the mechanical properties of the human thoracic duct and demonstrates a role for adrenoceptors, thromboxane, and endothelin receptors in human lymph vessel function...
- Somatostatin analog treatment of a cervical thoracic duct fistula
Carl N Valentine
Department of General Surgery, 785 Jelke Building, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, 1653 W Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Head Neck 24:810-3. 2002
Reoperation for recurrent thyroid cancer poses an increased risk of complications, including thoracic duct fistula. Treatment of this complication is controversial...
- Thoracic duct ligation for persistent chylothorax after pediatric cardiothoracic surgery
Dilip S Nath
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:246-51; discussion 251-2. 2009
There is considerable literature on incidence and medical management of postsurgical chylothorax in children but little is known about outcomes of thoracic duct ligation (TDL) for patients refractory to medical therapy.
- Transabdominal ligation of the thoracic duct as treatment of choice for postoperative chylothorax after esophagectomy
Department of General, Visceral, and Transplantation Surgery, Humboldt University, Charite Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Dis Esophagus 20:19-23. 2007
Postoperative chylothorax after injury of the thoracic duct during esophagectomy is a rare but severe complication which may lead to serious problems such as loss of fat and proteins, and immunodeficiency...
- Abdominal lymphatic pump treatment increases leukocyte count and flux in thoracic duct lymph
Lisa M Hodge
Department of Molecular Biology and Immunology, Osteopathic Research Center, The University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX 76107, USA
Lymphat Res Biol 5:127-33. 2007
..In this study, the thoracic duct of eight anesthetized mongrel dogs was catheterized, so the immediate effects of LPT on lymph flow and ..
- Large mediastinal thoracic duct cyst
Michele De Santis
Department of Pulmonology, Hospital Center, Coimbra, Portugal
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 10:138-9. 2010
b>Thoracic duct cysts of the mediastinum are extremely rare. The etiology is related to a congenital or degenerative weakness in the wall of the thoracic duct. Symptoms may arise from compression of adjacent structures...
- Complete remission of a lymphoma-associated chylothorax by radiotherapy of the celiac trunk and thoracic duct
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 184:484-7. 2008
..A chylothorax is a rare complication of mostly advanced malignant lymphomas. A case of a refractory chylothorax unresponsive to chemotherapy and successfully treated with radiotherapy is reported...
- Thoracoscopic thoracic duct ligation for chylothorax after traumatic subclavian artery injury
Newton Roech Aerts
Department of Vascular Surgery, Complexo Hospitalar Santa Casa de Porto Alegre Fundação Faculdade Federal de Ciências Médicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:752-3. 2006
- Characterization of thoracic duct cells that transfer polyarthritis
L D Spargo
The Arthritis Research Laboratory of the Hanson Centre for Cancer Research, Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Clin Exp Immunol 126:560-9. 2001
..distribution of arthritogenic effector lymphocytes that emerge in the efferent lymph and pass through the thoracic duct (TD) to the circulation...
- Thoracic duct drainage in rheumatoid arthritis
J H Vaughan
Clin Exp Immunol 58:645-53. 1984
b>Thoracic duct drainage (TDD) led to major improvement of disease in two of five patients with severe rheumatoid arthritis and lesser improvement in two others...
- Management of unremitting chylothorax by percutaneous embolization and blockage of retroperitoneal lymphatic vessels in 42 patients
Section of Interventional Radiology and Thoracic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 13:1139-48. 2002
..To demonstrate the applicability, technique, and efficacy of percutaneous transabdominal catheter embolization or needle disruption of retroperitoneal lymphatic vessels in the treatment of high-output or unremitting chylothorax...
- [Case of bilateral chylothorax with systemic lupus erythematosus complicated by steroid-/immunosuppressant-resistant pleural effusion]
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Yokohama Municipal Citizens Hospital
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 46:120-5. 2008
..She underwent thoracoscopy-aided ligation of the thoracic duct. After the operation, bilateral pleurodesis was performed by intrathoracic injection of OK-432, because of ..
- Diaphragmatic fenestration for resistant chylothorax
Ann Thorac Surg 82:767-8. 2006
- Post-traumatic cervical chyloma
Department of Radiology, Tulane University Medical Center, New Orleans, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 87:12, 14. 2008
- The effect of cisterna chyli ablation combined with thoracic duct ligation on abdominal lymphatic drainage
Gretchen K Sicard
Department of Surgical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Vet Surg 34:64-70. 2005
To evaluate the effect of cisterna chyli ablation (CCA) and thoracic duct ligation (TDL) on abdominal lymphatic drainage in normal dogs.
- VATS thoracic-duct division for aortic surgery-related chylous leakage
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Tokyo Metropolitan Fuchu General Hospital, 2 9 2 Musashidai, Fuchu shi, Tokyo 183 0042, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:153-5. 2005
..Individual exposure and division of the thoracic duct was accomplished using an ultrasonic coagulator. The operating time was 22+/-5...
- Combined late diagnosed right main bronchial disruption and chylothorax from blunt chest trauma
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Dicle University School of Medicine, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Ann Thorac Surg 78:e61-2. 2004
..We report the case of a patient who presented late after traumatic rupture of the right main bronchus who also had a traumatic chylothorax...
- [Tuberculous chylothorax: case report and review of the literature]
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitari Joan XXIII, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain
An Med Interna 22:238-40. 2005
- Chylothorax revisited
Sameh Ibrahim Sersar
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 33:1159, author reply 1159-60. 2008
- [Case of idiopathic chylothorax successfully treated with surgical ligation of thoracic ducts]
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nagasaki University School of Medicine
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 45:804-7. 2007
..The leakage of lymph fluid from the right posterior mediastinum was identified by lymphatic scintigraphy and she was successfully treated with surgical ligation of the thoracic ducts...
- Chylothorax complicating repairs of the descending and thoracoabdominal aorta
Adnan H Allaham
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Medical School, 6410 Fannin St, Suite 450, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Chest 130:1138-42. 2006
..Chylothorax occurring during thoracic aortic surgery is an infrequent but serious complication. The purpose of this study was to analyze our experience with this complication and the resulting outcomes...
Ioannis E Platis
General Surgery Program, State University of New York at Buffalo, 193 Summer Street, Buffalo, NY 14222, USA
Thorac Surg Clin 16:209-14. 2006
..Clipping of the thoracic duct or chemical pleurodesis may be performed with minimal morbidity and mortality...
- Thoracoscopic direct suture repair of thoracic duct injury after thoracoscopic mediastinal surgery
Deog Gon Cho
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Suwon, Gyeonggi Do 442 723, South Korea
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 17:60-1. 2007
Iatrogenic chylothorax is an uncommon thoracic duct injury, but well-known and serious complication after thoracic surgeries...
- Thoracoscopic thoracic duct sealing with LigaSure in two children with refractory postoperative chylothorax
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Queen Fabiola Children s University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:137-9. 2007
Chylothorax is an uncommon complication of cardiac surgery. We report two cases of the thoracoscopic management of persistent postoperative chylothorax by thoracic duct thermofusion and section with the LigaSure device.
- Surgical management of a double-chambered right ventricle and chylothorax in a Labrador retriever
Department of Veterinary Surgery, Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Fuchu shi, Japan
J Small Anim Pract 47:405-8. 2006
..A combination of thoracic duct ligation and passive pleuroperitoneal shunting was effective in the resolution of the chyle effusion.
- Lymphography of the thoracic duct by percutaneous injection of iohexol into the popliteal lymph node of dogs: experimental study and clinical application
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Miyazaki, Miyazaki, Japan
Vet Surg 35:377-81. 2006
To evaluate the efficacy of percutaneous administration of iohexol into the popliteal lymph node as a non-invasive technique for thoracic duct lymphangiography in dogs.
- A novel technique of management of high output chyle leak after neck dissection
Sajid S Qureshi
Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Ernest Borges Road, Parel, Bombay, India
J Surg Oncol 96:176-7. 2007
..Occasionally on surgical exploration the chyle leak is diffuse and ligation of the bed of thoracic duct is not adroit to stopping the chyle leak...
- Thoracic duct variations may complicate the anterior spine procedures
Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Eur Spine J 15:1347-51. 2006
The aim of this study is to localize and document the anatomic features of the thoracic duct and its tributaries with special emphasis on the spinal surgery point of view...
- Chylothorax and chylopericardium as the initial clinical manifestation of Behcet's disease
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chonbuk National University Medical School, Institute of Clinical Medicine, 634 18, Geum Am Dong, Duck Jin Gu, Jeonju, Chonbuk, 561 712, South Korea
Rheumatol Int 28:375-7. 2008
..He was treated due to chylothorax and chylopericardium with SVC syndrome before diagnosis of BD. SVC thrombosis complicated by chylothorax and chyolpericardium can be a rare presenting initial symptom of BD...
- Chylothorax and chyloperitoneum
Marlys H Witte
N Engl J Med 354:879; author reply 879. 2006
- Gorham disease: an intraoperative case study
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, Albany, GA, USA
AANA J 74:45-8. 2006
..involves a 47-year-old man with Gorham disease complicated by unilateral chylothorax who was treated with thoracic duct ligation...
- [Thoracoscopic clipping of the thooracic duct for chylothorax following esophagectomy: report of a case]
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Maebashi Red Cross Hospital, Maebashi, Japan
Kyobu Geka 58:1189-91. 2005
Thoracoscopic clipping of the thoracic duct was successfully performed for the treatment of postoperative chylothorax. Chylothorax occurred in a 67-year-old man following an esophagectomy for esophageal cancer...
- Supradiaphragmatic thoracic duct clipping for chylothorax through left-sided video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1, West 16, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:313-4. 2007
..Traditional surgical management for cases refractory to conservative treatment is thoracic duct ligation through a right open thoracotomy or closure of the site of duct laceration through an open ..
- [Congenital and acquired chylothorax]
Cattedra di Chirurgia Pediatrica, Azienda Ospedaliera Universita di Padova
Pediatr Med Chir 24:21-8. 2002
..The authors also review the literature and their experience of congenital and postoperative chylothorax in order to establish guidelines for the diagnosis and management of both primary and postoperative chylothorax in paediatric age...
- [The optimal procedure for chylothorax after operation for thoracic esophageal cancer; reasonable approaches to the thoracic duct from the point of view of routes for esophageal replacement]
Department of Surgery, Hiraka General Hospital, Yokote, Japan
Kyobu Geka 56:465-8. 2003
..and discuss ideal approaches that are less invasive and make it possible to provide better exposure of the thoracic duct. In selecting the ideal approach, the most important thing is differences in routes for esophageal replacement...
- Current management of postoperative chylothorax
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St Antonius Hospital, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Ann Thorac Surg 71:448-50; discussion 450-1. 2001
..In addition, 7 patients needed surgical intervention, including one thoracotomy and six VATS. The site of thoracic duct laceration was identified and treated with VATS in 4 patients...
- Chylous effusions complicating lymphoma: a serious event with octreotide as a treatment option
Department of Haematology and Respiratory Medicine, St Helier Hospital, Carshalton, Surrey, UK
Hematol Oncol 21:77-81. 2003
Chylous effusions have an identical appearance to milk and occur when the thoracic duct is blocked...
- Thoracoscopic management of cervical thoracic duct injuries: an alternative approach
Kirby J Scott
Department of Otolaryngology, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, VA 23708, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:755-7. 2003
- Advantage of earlier thoracoscopic clipping of thoracic duct for post-operation chylothorax following thoracic aneurysm surgery
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Takarazuka Municipal Hospital, Hyogo, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 51:378-80. 2003
We report that an earlier thoracoscopic clipping of the thoracic duct was advantageous in a case of post-operation chylothorax that occurred following thoracic aneurysm surgery...
- Chylothorax after radiotherapy in oesophageal carcinoma
A H Thomson
Gloucestershire Oncology Centre, Cheltenham General Hospital, Cheltenham, UK
Lancet Oncol 4:703-4. 2003
- Chylothorax following cardiac surgery caused by unusual lymphatic anatomy
Bristol Heart Institute, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW, United Kingdom
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 15:e58-9. 2007
Chylothorax due to injury to the thoracic duct and lymphatic channels during left internal thoracic artery harvest is well described...
- Thoracoscopic ultrasonic coagulation of thoracic duct in management of postoperative chylothorax
Department of Thoracic Surgery, National Kyushu Medical Center, Fukuoka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 74:263-5. 2002
..Thoracoscopic high-frequency ultrasonic coagulation of the thoracic duct without clipping finally stopped chyle production...
- Thoracic duct injury during esophagectomy: 20 years experience at a tertiary care center in a developing country
D V L N Rao
Department of GI Surgery and Liver Transplantation, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Dis Esophagus 17:141-5. 2004
b>Thoracic duct injury is an uncommon complication of esophagectomy. Experience in managing these cases is limited to large centers performing esophagectomies in good numbers...
- Management of chylothorax via percutaneous embolization
Radiology Department Hospital, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Curr Opin Pulm Med 10:311-4. 2004
..is to present a novel radiologic percutaneous transabdominal technique for treating high-output chylothorax by thoracic duct embolization, and to demonstrate that it can be potentially safer than the traditional treatment by surgical ..
- Chylothorax in chronic lymphocytic leukemia patient
Clinton H Doerr
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Hematol 70:237-40. 2002
..to experience re-accumulation of fluid, and therefore, video-assisted thoracotomy with mass ligation of the thoracic duct region plus pleurodesis was performed to resolve the chylothorax...
- Laparoscopic ligation of the thoracic duct in management of chylothorax
Orlando J Icaza
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Division of General Surgery, Springfield, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 12:129-33. 2002
..We feel that this technique offers surgeons a valid, minimally invasive treatment option for a persistent chylothorax in which conservative management or more direct thoracic procedures have failed to control the chyle leak...
- The "innocent bystander" complications following esophagectomy: atrial fibrillation, recurrent laryngeal nerve injury, chylothorax, and pulmonary complications
The Emory Clinic, Emory School of Medicine, 1365 Clifton Road NE, 2nd Floor, Suite 2100, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 16:117-23. 2004
- [Surgery technique: preventive ligation of the thoracic duct during esophagectomy for cancer]
Service de Chirurgie Digestive, Hopital Beaujon, 100, boulevard du General Leclerc, 92110 Clichy, France
Ann Chir 127:228-31. 2002
Chylothorax is a rare but life-threatening complication of esophagectomy for cancer. Elective ligation of the thoracic duct above the diaphragm does not suppress completely the risk of chylothorax due to possible trauma of the thoracic ..
- Bilateral chylothorax after neck dissection
Jose M Busquets
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:492-5. 2004
- Treatment of postoperative chylothorax through laparoscopic thoracic duct ligation
B C Vassallo
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Chief of Lung Transplantation, Italian Hospital, Gascon 450, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:556-7. 2002
We report the laparoscopic transhiatal thoracic duct ligation to solve postoperative chylothorax after right total pleurectomy for malignant diffuse mesothelioma.
- Reduced lymphatic drainage of dialysate from the peritoneal cavity during acute peritonitis in sheep
Trauma Research Program, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Perit Dial Int 16:163-71. 1996
..fifth groups (controls and casein-injected) lymph was collected from the caudal mediastinal lymph node and the thoracic duct, both of which are involved in the lymphatic drainage of the peritoneal cavity (peritonitis induced with ..
- Physiologic aspects of lymphatic contractile function: current perspectives
Anatoliy A Gashev
Department of Medical Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, College of Medicine, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College Station, Texas 77843 1114, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 979:178-87; discussion 188-96. 2002
..in the pressure and flow sensitivities of lymphatic vessels derived from different tissues, such as the thoracic duct and mesenteric lymphatics...
- Pleural fluid analysis in chylous pleural effusion
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy, and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Chest 133:1436-41. 2008
Chyle is a noninflammatory, lymphocyte-predominant fluid that may cause a pleural effusion as a consequence of thoracic duct leakage into the pleural space...
- Chylothorax and cholesterol pleural effusion
J Terrill Huggins
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy, and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 31:743-50. 2010
..is defined by the presence of chyle in the pleural space resulting from obstruction or disruption of the thoracic duct or one of its major tributaries...
- Natural orifice transesophageal mediastinoscopy and thoracoscopy
F F Willingham
Department of Medicine, Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA, 02114 3117, USA
Surg Endosc 22:1042-7. 2008
..In addition NOTES esophageal access routes also have the potential to replace conventional thoracoscopic approaches for medial or hilar lesions...
- Outcomes of Heimlich valve drainage in dogs
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Uludag University, 16059 Bursa, Turkey
Aust Vet J 87:148-51. 2009
..Retrospective study of the outcomes of Heimlich valve drainage in dogs...
- The role of lymph factors in lung injury, bone marrow suppression, and endothelial cell dysfunction in a primate model of trauma-hemorrhagic shock
Edwin A Deitch
Department of Surgery, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Shock 22:221-8. 2004
..Thus, the three goals of this study were to determine if diversion of thoracic duct lymph reduced T/HS-induced lung injury; to compare the biologic activity of thoracic duct lymph from baboons ..
- Late-onset chylothorax after blunt chest trauma at an interval of 20 years: report of a case
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Maebashi Red Cross Hospital, 3 21 36 Asahi cho, Maebashi, Gunma 371 0014, Japan
Surg Today 38:56-8. 2008
..at an interval of 20 years after thoracic vertebrae fractures, who underwent a successful thoracoscopic thoracic duct ligation and pleurodesis...