Genomes and Genes
Summary: The clear portion of BLOOD that is left after BLOOD COAGULATION to remove BLOOD CELLS and clotting proteins.
Publications268 found, 100 shown here
- Effects of cell culture conditions on primary rat hepatocytes-cell morphology and differential gene expressionGregor Tuschl
Institute of Toxicology, Molecular Toxicology, Merck KGaA, 64271 Darmstadt, Germany
Toxicology 218:205-15. 2006We incubated primary rat hepatocytes on collagen monolayer as well as in collagen sandwich cultures with serum-containing or serum-free medium formulations...
- Enhanced engraftment of mesenchymal stem cells in a cutaneous wound model by culture in allogenic species-specific serum and administration in fibrin constructsCarl A Gregory
Center for Gene Therapy, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Stem Cells 24:2232-43. 2006..However, the standard growth medium for hMSCs contains 10%-20% fetal calf serum (FCS), and FCS is strongly immunogenic in both rodents and humans...
- Autologous serum is more effective than fetal bovine serum on proliferation of bone marrow derived human mesenchymal stem cellsMustafa Yilmaz
Department of Hematology, Karadeniz Technical University Hospital, Trabzon, Turkey
Saudi Med J 29:306-9. 2008
- Expressing the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study equation for estimating glomerular filtration rate with standardized serum creatinine valuesAndrew S Levey
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Clin Chem 53:766-72. 2007We sought to reexpress the 4-variable Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) Study equation for estimation of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) using serum creatinine (S(cr)) standardized to reference methods.
- Analysis of circulating microRNA biomarkers in plasma and serum using quantitative reverse transcription-PCR (qRT-PCR)Evan M Kroh
Human Biology Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Methods 50:298-301. 2010..circulate in a stable, cell-free form in the bloodstream and that the abundance of specific miRNAs in plasma or serum can serve as biomarkers of cancer and other diseases...
- Quantitative assessment of human serum high-abundance protein depletionRene Stempfer
Molecular Diagnostics, Life Sciences, Austrian Research Centers GmbH ARC, Seibersdorf, Austria
Electrophoresis 29:4316-23. 2008The aim of this study is to quantify the effectivity of the depletion of human high-abundance serum and plasma proteins for improved protein identification and disease marker candidate discovery and to assess the risk of concomitant ..
- Human alternatives to fetal bovine serum for the expansion of mesenchymal stromal cells from bone marrowKaren Bieback
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, German Red Cross Blood Service of Baden Württemberg Hessen, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Stem Cells 27:2331-41. 2009..For clinical scale manufacturing, human factors from serum or platelets have been suggested as alternatives to fetal bovine serum (FBS)...
- Polymorphism of rs1044925 in the acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase-1 gene and serum lipid levels in the Guangxi Bai Ku Yao and Han populationsDong Feng Wu
Department of Cardiology, Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, The First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, 22 Shuangyong Road, Nanning 530021, Guangxi, China
Lipids Health Dis 9:139. 2010The association of rs1044925 polymorphism in the acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase-1 (ACAT-1) gene and serum lipid profiles is not well known in different ethnic groups. Bai Ku Yao is a special subgroup of the Yao minority in China...
- Hepatitis C virus replication in transfected and serum-infected cultured human fetal hepatocytesCatherine A Lazaro
Department of Pathology, University of Washington School of Medicine, K078 Health Sciences Building, Box 357705, Seattle, WA 98195 7705, USA
Am J Pathol 170:478-89. 2007..This culture system may be used to study the responses of nontransformed human hepatocytes to HCV infection, to analyze serum infectivity, and to clone novel HCVs from infected patients.
- Antigen microarrays identify unique serum autoantibody signatures in clinical and pathologic subtypes of multiple sclerosisFrancisco J Quintana
Center for Neurologic Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18889-94. 2008..We performed antigen microarray analysis to characterize patterns of antibody reactivity in MS serum against a panel of CNS protein and lipid autoantigens and heat shock proteins...
- Optimization of in vitro expansion of human multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells for cell-therapy approaches: further insights in the search for a fetal calf serum substituteM E Bernardo
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Cell Physiol 211:121-30. 2007..MSCs are currently expanded in vitro in the presence of fetal calf serum (FCS); however, FCS raises concerns when used in clinical grade preparations...
- Microfluidic isolation and transcriptome analysis of serum microvesiclesChihchen Chen
BioMEMS Resource Center, Center for Engineering in Medicine and Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Lab Chip 10:505-11. 2010..present an easy and rapid microfluidic immunoaffinity method to isolate microvesicles from small volumes of both serum from blood samples and conditioned medium from cells in culture...
- High-throughput serum NMR metabonomics for cost-effective holistic studies on systemic metabolismPasi Soininen
NMR Metabonomics Laboratory, Laboratory of Chemistry, Department of Biosciences, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Analyst 134:1781-5. 2009..two molecular windows that contain the majority of the metabolic information available by 1H NMR from native serum, e.g. serum lipids, lipoprotein subclasses as well as various low-molecular-weight metabolites...
- Human AB serum and thrombin-activated platelet-rich plasma are suitable alternatives to fetal calf serum for the expansion of mesenchymal stem cells from adipose tissueAsli Kocaoemer
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, German Red Cross Blood Service of Baden Württemberg Hessen, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Stem Cells 25:1270-8. 2007..However, most isolation and expansion protocols for clinical-scale production of MSCs use fetal calf serum (FCS) as a supplement, which poses a potential risk for infections as well as immunological reactions...
- Expression profile of microRNAs in serum: a fingerprint for esophageal squamous cell carcinomaChunni Zhang
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Jinling Hospital, Clinical School of Medical College, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Clin Chem 56:1871-9. 2010..The discovery of serum microRNAs (miRNAs) and their unique concentration profiles in patients with various diseases makes them attractive,..
- Determination of folate vitamers in human serum by stable-isotope-dilution tandem mass spectrometry and comparison with radioassay and microbiologic assayChristine M Pfeiffer
National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Clin Chem 50:423-32. 2004..tandem mass spectrometric method coupled to liquid chromatography (LC/MS/MS) as a candidate reference method for 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid (5MeTHF), 5-formyltetrahydrofolic acid (5FoTHF), and folic acid (FA) in human serum.
- Free thyroid hormones in serum by direct equilibrium dialysis and online solid-phase extraction--liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometryBingfang Yue
ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, Salt Lake City, UT 84108 1221, USA
Clin Chem 54:642-51. 2008..We describe a direct equilibrium dialysis (ED)-liquid chromatography (LC)/tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) method for FT4 and FT3...
- Serum-induced iron-acquisition systems and TonB contribute to virulence in Klebsiella pneumoniae causing primary pyogenic liver abscessPei Fang Hsieh
Department of Microbiology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Infect Dis 197:1717-27. 2008..Klebsiella pneumoniae has become the predominant pathogen causing primary pyogenic liver abscess (PLA)...
- Autologous serum for isolation and expansion of human mesenchymal stem cells for clinical useNorbert Stute
Bone Marrow Transplant Center, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Exp Hematol 32:1212-25. 2004..One major obstacle for their clinical use is the biosafety of fetal calf serum (FCS), which is a crucial part of all media currently used for the culture of MSC.
- High-abundance proteins depletion for serum proteomic analysis: concomitant removal of non-targeted proteinsElisa Bellei
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Medical Faculty, University Hospital of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100, Modena, Italy
Amino Acids 40:145-56. 2011In clinical and pharmaceutical proteomics, serum and plasma are frequently used for detection of early diagnostic biomarkers for therapeutic targets...
- Development of an improved genotyping assay for the detection of hepatitis C virus genotypes and subtypes in PakistanMuhammad Idrees
Division of Molecular Virology and Molecular Diagnostics, National Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology, University of the Punjab, 87 West Canal Bank Road, Thokar Niaz Baig, Lahore, Pakistan
J Virol Methods 150:50-6. 2008..Genotype-specific primers were designed on the basis of 114 HCV isolates. Serum samples with known genotypes were used as positive controls to validate the assay developed and to generate PCR ..
- Circulating cell-free DNA in plasma/serum of lung cancer patients as a potential screening and prognostic toolAshutosh K Pathak
Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77039, USA
Clin Chem 52:1833-42. 2006BACKGROUND: Evaluation of tumor-specific circulating DNA in plasma/serum is a promising noninvasive diagnostic and prognostic tool requiring only a blood sample, which circumvents the logistic difficulties associated with the use of ..
- Bone morphogenetic protein-4 promotes induction of cardiomyocytes from human embryonic stem cells in serum-based embryoid body developmentShunsuke Takei
Department of Histology and Embryology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H1793-803. 2009..We studied the effect of bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)-4 in the presence of fetal bovine serum (FBS) on cardiac induction from human H1 ES cells during embryoid body (EB) development...
- Factors influencing the generation of murine dendritic cells from bone marrow: the special role of fetal calf serumManfred B Lutz
Institute for Virology and Immunobiology, University of Wuerzburg, 97078, Wuerzburg, Germany
Immunobiology 212:855-62. 2007..The critical role of FCS in BM-DC cultures and alternative methods using murine sera or serum-free media are discussed.
- Up-converting phosphor technology-based lateral flow assay for detection of Schistosoma circulating anodic antigen in serumPaul L A M Corstjens
Leiden University Medical Center, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Bldg 2, S 01 030, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 46:171-6. 2008Schistosoma sp. circular anodic antigen (CAA) serum concentrations reflect actual worm burden in a patient and are a valuable tool for population screening and epidemiological research...
- Lysophosphatidic acid protects mesenchymal stem cells against hypoxia and serum deprivation-induced apoptosisJinghai Chen
Research Center for Cardiovascular Regenerative Medicine, The Ministry of Health of China, Cardiovascular Institute and Fu Wai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Stem Cells 26:135-45. 2008..Our previous studies have documented that hypoxia and serum deprivation (hypoxia/SD), induced MSCs apoptosis through the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway...
- Autologous serum application in the treatment of neurotrophic keratopathyYukihiro Matsumoto
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan
Ophthalmology 111:1115-20. 2004To evaluate the effect of autologous serum application for epithelial disorders in neurotrophic keratopathy (NK).
- Differential effect of platelet-rich plasma and fetal calf serum on bone marrow-derived human mesenchymal stromal cells expanded in vitroAnja Goedecke
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Department of Haematology, Dresden, Germany
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 5:648-54. 2011..Human platelet-rich plasma has been introduced as an alternative serum source but functional differences have so far not been described...
- A highly sensitive method for the detection and genotyping of West Nile virus by real-time PCRDewald Zaayman
Department of Medical Virology, University of Pretoria, South Africa
J Virol Methods 157:155-60. 2009..WNV could be identified and typed in serum and brain specimens from a human and horse with neurological disease...
- Efficient and specific removal of albumin from human serum samplesLaura F Steel
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson Center for Biomedical Research, Doylestown, Pennsylvania 18901, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 2:262-70. 2003Patient serum or plasma is frequently monitored for biochemical markers of disease or physiological status...
- Detection of novel sequences related to african Swine Fever virus in human serum and sewageJoy Loh
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave, Box 8118, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Virol 83:13019-25. 2009..We report here the discovery of novel viral sequences in human serum and sewage which are clearly related to the asfarvirus family but highly divergent from ASFV...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor delta +294T > C polymorphism and serum lipid levels in the Guangxi Bai Ku Yao and Han populationsLin Miao
Department of Cardiology, Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, 22 Shuangyong Road, Nanning 530021, Guangxi, People s Republic of China
Lipids Health Dis 9:145. 2010The association of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor delta (PPARD) +294T > C polymorphism and serum lipid levels is inconsistent in several previous studies. Bai Ku Yao is an isolated subgroup of the Yao minority in China...
- Overexpression of BCL2 enhances survival of human embryonic stem cells during stress and obviates the requirement for serum factorsReza Ardehali
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:3282-7. 2011..that overexpression of the prosurvival gene BCL2 in mouse embryonic stem cells overrode the requirement of serum factors and feeder cells to maintain mESCs in culture...
- Lung fibroblast proteoglycan production induced by serum is inhibited by budesonide and formoterolLizbet Todorova
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 34:92-100. 2006..the effects of budesonide, a glucocorticoid, and formoterol, a long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist, on serum-induced proteoglycan production by human lung fibroblasts...
- Activation and repression of cellular immediate early genes by serum response factor cofactorsSeung Min Lee
Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, New York, New York 10027, USA
J Biol Chem 285:22036-49. 2010The induction of expression of many cellular immediate early genes (IEG) involves the transcription factor serum response factor (SRF)...
- Hepatitis C patient-derived glycoproteins exhibit marked differences in susceptibility to serum neutralizing antibodies: genetic subtype defines antigenic but not neutralization serotypeAlexander W Tarr
School of Molecular Medical Sciences, The University of Nottingham, A Floor West Block, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, United Kingdom
J Virol 85:4246-57. 2011..In contrast, the neutralization serotype did not correlate with genotype. Instead, serum-derived antibodies displayed a range of neutralization breadth and potency, while different E1E2 glycoproteins ..
- The human serum metabolomeNikolaos Psychogios
Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e16957. 2011..the human metabolome through the Human Metabolome Project, we have undertaken the task of characterizing the human serum metabolome...
- Detection of dengue virus in saliva and urine by real time RT-PCRTelma R Poloni
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Toxicologicas e Bromatologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirão Preto14040 903, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Virol J 7:22. 2010..b>Serum, urine and saliva samples collected from both patients were subjected to real time RT-PCR for DENV detection and ..
- Mesenchymal stem cells expanded in vitro with human serum for the treatment of acute and chronic graft-versus-host disease: results of a phase I/II clinical trialJose A Perez-Simon
Servicio de Hematologia, Instituto de Biomedicina de Sevilla IBIS Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocío CSIC Universidad de Sevilla, Avenida Manuel Siurot s n 41013 Sevilla, Spain
Haematologica 96:1072-6. 2011This trial evaluated the feasibility and efficacy of the infusion of mesenchymal stem cells expanded using human serum for the treatment of refractory acute or chronic graft-versus-host disease. Twenty-eight expansions were started...
- Development of a high-throughput assay for measuring serum neutralizing antibody against enterovirus 71Mei Liang Huang
Vaccine Research and Development Center, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan
J Virol Methods 165:42-5. 2010..The serum neutralizing antibody response is the major indicator of EV71 infection and protective immunity...
- A well-characterised peak identification list of MALDI MS profile peaks for human blood serumAli Tiss
The BioCentre and Department of Chemistry, University of Reading, Reading, UK
Proteomics 10:3388-92. 2010MALDI MS profiling, using easily available body fluids such as blood serum, has attracted considerable interest for its potential in clinical applications...
- Factors involved in the germination and inactivation of Bacillus anthracis spores in murine primary macrophagesHaijing Hu
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 272:245-50. 2007..Spores were efficiently taken up by primary mouse bone marrow-derived macrophages even in the absence of serum but a minimal amount was required for spore germination and subsequent inactivation...
- Depletion of multiple high-abundance proteins improves protein profiling capacities of human serum and plasmaLynn A Echan
The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proteomics 5:3292-303. 2005..Hence, depletion of major proteins is one potential strategy for enhancing detection sensitivity in serum or plasma...
- A data base for partition of volatile organic compounds and drugs from blood/plasma/serum to brain, and an LFER analysis of the dataMichael H Abraham
Department of Chemistry, University College London, 20 Gordon Street, London WC1H OAJ, UK
J Pharm Sci 95:2091-100. 2006Literature values of the in vivo distribution (BB) of drugs from blood, plasma, or serum to rat brain have been assembled for 207 compounds (233 data points)...
- Phosphoethanolamine substitution of lipid A and resistance of Neisseria gonorrhoeae to cationic antimicrobial peptides and complement-mediated killing by normal human serumLisa A Lewis
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Infect Immun 77:1112-20. 2009..cause disseminated gonococcal infection requires that such strains resist the bactericidal action of normal human serum. The bactericidal action of normal human serum against N...
- Stability of gadolinium-based magnetic resonance imaging contrast agents in human serum at 37 degrees CThomas Frenzel
Bayer Schering Pharma, Berlin, Germany
Invest Radiol 43:817-28. 2008Assessment of the complex stability and Gd3+ dissociation rate of all marketed gadolinium-based MRI contrast agents (GBCA) in human serum at pH 7.4 and 37 degrees C.
- Tumor stem cells derived from glioblastomas cultured in bFGF and EGF more closely mirror the phenotype and genotype of primary tumors than do serum-cultured cell linesJeongwu Lee
Neuro-Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Cell 9:391-403. 2006..These findings suggest that TSCs may be a more reliable model than many commonly utilized cancer cell lines for understanding the biology of primary human tumors...
- Induction of capsule growth in Cryptococcus neoformans by mammalian serum and CO(2)Oscar Zaragoza
Departments of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Infect Immun 71:6155-64. 2003..In this study, we report that serum can induce capsule growth, and we describe the conditions that induce this effect, not only by serum but also by ..
- Proteomic analysis of human blood serum using peptide library beadsLau Sennels
the FIRC Institute for Molecular Oncology Foundation, Via Adamello 16, I 20139 Milan, Italy
J Proteome Res 6:4055-62. 2007Human serum is thought to contain key information for diagnostics of human disease. However, no single technology is currently nor might ever be available to cope with the complexity and dynamic range of the serum proteome...
- Factor H-binding protein is important for meningococcal survival in human whole blood and serum and in the presence of the antimicrobial peptide LL-37K L Seib
Molecular Genetics Unit, Novartis Vaccines, Via Fiorentina, 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Infect Immun 77:292-9. 2009..All fHBP null mutant strains analyzed were sensitive to killing in ex vivo human whole blood and serum models of meningococcal bacteremia with respect to the isogenic wild-type strains...
- Intraspecies and temperature-dependent variations in susceptibility of Yersinia pestis to the bactericidal action of serum and to polymyxin BAndrey P Anisimov
State Research Center for Applied Microbiology, Obolensk, Moscow Region 142279, Russia
Infect Immun 73:7324-31. 2005..bactericidal action of cationic peptides, such as polymyxin B (PMB), and sensitivity to killing by normal human serum (NHS)...
- Stress response gene ATF3 is a target of c-myc in serum-induced cell proliferationKiyoshi Tamura
Department of Biochemical Genetics, Medical Research Institute and Laboratory of Genome Structure and Regulation, School of Biomedical Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
EMBO J 24:2590-601. 2005..Here, we report that the serum response of the ATF3 gene expression depends on c-myc gene and that the c-Myc complex at ATF/CREB site of the gene ..
- Pattern of serum autoantibodies allows accurate distinction between a tumor and pathologies of the same organNicole Ludwig
Department of Human Genetics, Medical School, Saarland University, Homburg Saar, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 14:4767-74. 2008..One of the major challenges toward this goal is to prove that seroreactivity profiles do not only allow for identifying a tumor but also allow for distinguishing tumors from other pathologies of the same organ...
- An investigation into the human serum "interactome"Ming Zhou
Laboratory of Proteomics and Analytical Technologies, SAIC Frederick, Inc, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD, USA
Electrophoresis 25:1289-98. 2004The protein content of human serum is composed of a millieu of proteins from almost every type of cell and tissue within the body...
- Differential effects of three preparations of human serum on expansion of various types of human cellsMasakazu Kurita
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Tokyo School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:438-48. 2008....
- Procedures for large-scale metabolic profiling of serum and plasma using gas chromatography and liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometryWarwick B Dunn
Manchester Centre for Integrative Systems Biology, Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Nat Protoc 6:1060-83. 2011..Protocols for serum- and plasma-based metabolic profiling applying gas chromatography-MS (GC-MS) and ultraperformance liquid ..
- Transcriptional regulation of Bim by FOXO3a and Akt mediates scleroderma serum-induced apoptosis in endothelial progenitor cellsShoukang Zhu
Department of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Circulation 118:2156-65. 2008..We aimed to determine whether circulating EPCs were reduced in scleroderma, whether scleroderma sera could induce EPC apoptosis, and, if so, what the underlying apoptotic signaling pathway was...
- Human autologous serum obtained using a completely closed bag system as a substitute for foetal calf serum in human mesenchymal stem cell culturesNoriyoshi Mizuno
Department of Periodontal Medicine, Division of Frontier Medical Science, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 2 3, Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8553, Japan
Cell Biol Int 30:521-4. 2006..Therefore, it is expected of culture cells which are intended to be re-implanted with autologous serum rather than conventional bovine serum...
- Upstream control of apoptosis by caspase-2 in serum-deprived primary neuronsD Chauvier
Theraptosis Research Laboratory, Theraptosis S A, Pasteur Biotop, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Docteur Roux, 75015 Paris, France
Apoptosis 10:1243-59. 2005..Using primary cortical neurons subjected to acute serum-deprivation (SD), we have examined caspases activation, mitochondrial dysfunction and cell death parameters...
- Serum bilirubin and genes controlling bilirubin concentrations as biomarkers for cardiovascular diseaseJing Ping Lin
Office of Biostatistics Research, Division of Cardiovascular Science, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Clin Chem 56:1535-43. 2010b>Serum bilirubin has been consistently shown to be inversely related to cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Generation of immunosuppressive mesenchymal stem cells in allogeneic human serumKatarina Le Blanc
Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Transplantation 84:1055-9. 2007..In vitro expansion of MSC has been achieved in the presence of fetal calf serum (FCS). For safety and regulatory reasons, we explored if FCS could be replaced by human blood group AB serum...
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for measurement of cytomegalovirus glycoprotein B antibody in serumDaniel J Hackett
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:836-9. 2010..another all giving results within 1 dilution of the mean value for each of three anti-CMV IgG antibody-positive serum pools. The geometric mean titer of antibody to gB for 99 sera from seropositive blood donors was 1/10,937...
- Serum levels of bcl-2 and cellular oxidative stress in patients with viral hepatitisH G Osman
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Mansoura University, Mansoura 35516, Egypt
Indian J Med Microbiol 25:323-9. 2007This study was conducted to investigate the presence of bcl-2 protein in the serum of patients with viral hepatitis and to find out if there is any correlation between bcl-2 protein levels and cellular oxidative stress in the ..
- Preanalytic influence of sample handling on SELDI-TOF serum protein profilesJohn F Timms
Translational Research Laboratory, Institute of Women s Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Clin Chem 53:645-56. 2007High-throughput proteomic methods for disease biomarker discovery in human serum are promising, but concerns exist regarding reproducibility of results and variability introduced by sample handling...
- Systematical evaluation of the effects of sample collection procedures on low-molecular-weight serum/plasma proteome profilingSen Yung Hsieh
Clinical Proteomics Center, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 5 Fu Hsin Road, Tao Yuan, 333 Taiwan
Proteomics 6:3189-98. 2006..However, little has been done to address the effects of sampling, handling and storage procedures on serum/plasma proteomes...
- Gene expression profiling of serum- and interleukin-1 beta-stimulated primary human adult articular chondrocytes--a molecular analysis based on chondrocytes isolated from one donorThomas Aigner
Osteoarticular and Arthritis Research, Department of Pathology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Krankenhausstr 8 10, D 91054 Erlangen, FRG
Cytokine 31:227-40. 2005..patterns of primary human normal adult articular chondrocytes isolated from one donor cultured under anabolic (serum) and catabolic (IL-1beta) conditions...
- HLA-G levels in serum and plasmaN Rudstein Svetlicky
TissueTyping Laboratory, Sheba Medical Center and Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Tissue Antigens 69:140-2. 2007Soluble human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-G levels are in most cases higher in the plasma than in the serum obtained from the same individual. This is probably due to trapping of the protein during clot formation...
- The HCV serum proteome: a search for fibrosis protein markersK J Cheung
Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
J Viral Hepat 16:418-29. 2009..b>Serum proteome profiles were created by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis...
- Detection and serotyping of dengue virus in serum samples by multiplex reverse transcriptase PCR-ligase detection reaction assayS Das
Division of International Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:3276-84. 2008..The assay was optimized using 38 DENV strains and was evaluated with 350 archived acute-phase serum samples. The sensitivity of the assay was 98.7%, and its specificity was 98...
- Lipopolysaccharide-binding protein critically regulates lipopolysaccharide-induced IFN-beta signaling pathway in human monocytesAtsushi Kato
Department of Allergy and Immunology, National Research Institute for Child Health and Development, Tokyo, Japan
J Immunol 172:6185-94. 2004..However, no previous reports have tested the role of serum proteins in LPS-induced gene expression profiles...
- RACK1 inhibits the serum- and anchorage-independent growth of v-Src transformed cellsVidya Mamidipudi
Department of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
FEBS Lett 567:321-6. 2004Cancer cells are capable of serum- and anchorage-independent growth, and focus formation on monolayers of normal cells. Previously, we showed that RACK1 inhibits c-Src kinase activity and NIH3T3 cell growth...
- Neurocysticercosis immunodiagnosis using Taenia solium cysticerci crude soluble extract, excretory secretory and lower molecular mass antigens in serum and urine samples of Indian childrenSubba Rao V Atluri
Department of Parasitology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Acta Trop 110:22-7. 2009..solium cysticerci were evaluated for antibody detection in serum and urine samples by ELISA...
- Development of a robust and repeatable UPLC-MS method for the long-term metabolomic study of human serumEva Zelena
Bioanalytical Sciences Group, School of Chemistry, Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, University of Manchester, M1 7DN, UK
Anal Chem 81:1357-64. 2009A method for performing untargeted metabolomic analysis of human serum has been developed based on protein precipitation followed by Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography and Time-of-Flight mass spectrometry (UPLC-TOF-MS)...
- Differences in metabolite profile between blood plasma and serumLinsheng Liu
Lab of Metabolomics, Key Laboratory of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 21009, China
Anal Biochem 406:105-12. 2010In metabolomic research, blood plasma and serum have been considered to possess similar compositions and properties. Their perceived equivalence has resulted in researchers choosing arbitrarily between serum and plasma for analysis...
- Structural stability and increase in size rationalize the efficiency of lipoplexes in serumCristina Marchini
Genetic Immunization Laboratory, Department of Molecular Cellular and Animal Biology, University of Camerino, Via Gentile III da Varano, 62032 Camerino MC, Italy
Langmuir 25:3013-21. 2009We have investigated the effect of serum on nanometric structure, size, surface potential, DNA-binding capacity, and transfection efficiency of DDAB-DOPE/DNA and DC-Chol-DOPE/DNA lipoplexes as a function of membrane charge density and ..
- Impact of individual platelet lysates on isolation and growth of human mesenchymal stromal cellsPatrick Horn
Department of Medicine V, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Cytotherapy 12:888-98. 2010Culture medium for mesenchymal stromal cells (MSC) is frequently supplemented with fetal calf serum (FCS)...
- Effects of parylene-C photooxidation on serum-assisted glial and neuronal patterningEvangelos Delivopoulos
Institute for Integrated Micro and Nano Systems, School of Engineering and Electronics, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Biomed Mater Res A 94:47-58. 2010..polymer, was photolithographically patterned on silicon oxide (SiO(2)) and subsequently activated via immersion in serum. In this article, we explore the effects of ultraviolet (UV)-induced oxidation on parylene's ability to pattern ..
- Development of a blocking ELISA for detection of serum neutralizing antibodies against porcine circovirus type 2Liping Huang
Division of Swine Infectious Diseases, National Key Laboratory of Veterinary Biotechnology, Harbin Veterinary Research Institute, The Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Harbin, China
J Virol Methods 171:26-33. 2011A monoclonal antibody (Mab)-based blocking ELISA was developed for the detection of serum neutralizing antibodies to porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2)...
- Quantitative proteome and phosphoproteome analyses of cultured cells based on SILAC labeling without requirement of serum dialysisKoshi Imami
Institute for Advanced Biosciences, Keio University, Daihoji, Tsuruoka, Yamagata 997 0017, Japan
Mol Biosyst 6:594-602. 2010The use of dialyzed serum is essential in the application of the conventional stable isotope labeling by amino acids in cell culture (SILAC) approach to achieve complete labeling of proteins for quantitative proteomics...
- Effect of serum and surface characteristics on Candida albicans biofilm formationJoão Pedro Frade
Mycotic Diseases Branch, Division of Food borne Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Mycoses 54:e154-62. 2011..We therefore selected a collection of C. albicans clinical isolates to evaluate the effect of surface and serum on biofilm attachment and development...
- Depletion of TGF-β from fetal bovine serumTakatoku Oida
Center for Neurologic Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA 02115, United States
J Immunol Methods 362:195-8. 2010..However, fetal bovine serum (FBS) contains a high level of latent TGF-β that often hampers measuring T cell-derived TGF-β in culture using ..
- Serum lipid concentrations and prevalence of dyslipidemia in a large professional population in BeijingZhiyan Li
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing 100034, China
Clin Chem 51:144-50. 2005BACKGROUND: Lipid abnormalities are major risk factors for premature coronary artery diseases. We investigated serum lipids and the prevalence of dyslipidemia in a professional population in Beijing and compared these data with those ..
- Growth stimulation leads to cellular senescence when the cell cycle is blockedZoya N Demidenko
Oncotarget, Albany, New York, USA
Cell Cycle 7:3355-61. 2008..In the presence of serum, induction of p21 caused senescence, characterized by beta-Galactosidase staining, cell hypertrophy, increased ..
- Influence of serum and albumins from different species on stability of camptothecin-loaded micellesPraneet Opanasopit
Institute of Advanced Biomedical Engineering and Science, Tokyo Women's Medical University, Kawada 8-1, Shinjuku, Tokyo 162-8666, Japan
J Control Release 104:313-21. 2005..micelles forming from poly (ethylene glycol)-poly (benzyl aspartate-69) block copolymer in the presence of serum and purified serum albumins were investigated by reverse-phase HPLC and GPC...
- Effects of N-acetyl-L-cysteine and glutathione on antioxidant status of human serum and 3T3 fibroblastsSae-Yong Hong
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Research Institute, Soonchunhyang University Cheonan Hospital, Cheonan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 18:649-54. 2003..Further pharmacokinetic study into the systemic administration of these antioxidants is necessary, using effective concentrations of 5-40 mM for both N-acetyl-L-cysteine and glutathione, and 1-50 units of catalase...
- Sleep-deprived mice show altered cytokine production manifest by perturbations in serum IL-1ra, TNFa, and IL-6 levelsJ Hu
The Toronto Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada
Brain Behav Immun 17:498-504. 2003b>Serum cytokine and chemokine levels were examined in mice following 36 h of sleep deprivation, or after exposure to a known physical stressor (rotational stress)...
- Subversion of complement activation at the bacterial surface promotes serum resistance and opsonophagocytosis of Francisella tularensisAbdelhakim Ben Nasr
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical Research Building, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
J Leukoc Biol 84:77-85. 2008Francisella tularensis (Ft) is resistant to serum but requires complement factor C3-derived opsonins for uptake by phagocytic cells and subsequent intracellular growth...
- Positive correlation of cell-free DNA in plasma/serum in patients with malignant and benign breast diseaseRosanna Zanetti-Dällenbach
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Anticancer Res 28:921-5. 2008..Circulating cell-free (ccf) DNA is measurable in healthy individuals and in higher concentration in patients with benign and malignant breast disease (BD)...
- Epidermal growth factor and serum activate distinct pathways to inhibit the BH3 only protein BAD in prostate carcinoma LNCaP cellsO S P Chao
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Oncogene 25:4458-69. 2006..Presence of serum or epidermal growth factor in the culture medium of LNCaP cells decreases apoptosis induced by the inhibition of ..
- Clinical application of cultured autologous human auricular chondrocytes with autologous serum for craniofacial or nasal augmentation and repairHiroko Yanaga
Yanaga Clinic and Tissue Culture Laboratory, Osaka City General Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2019-30; discussion 2031-2. 2006..The authors developed a new treatment method that provides a sufficiently large volume of reconstructive material and enables an easier reconstruction of the original shape...
- Serum levels of sTNF-R1, sTNF-R2 and CXCL9 correlate with disease activity in adult type paracoccidioidomycosisAna C Lyon
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Avenida Alfredo Balena 190, Santa Efigenia, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Acta Trop 109:213-8. 2009..The aim of the present work was to evaluate levels of sTNF-R1, sTNF-R2 and chemokines in serum of patients with adult type of PCM, before and after antifungal therapy, and to correlate those levels to disease ..
- Human serum from platelet-poor plasma for the culture of primary human preadipocytesEva Koellensperger
Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, University Hospital, Aachen University of Technology, Germany
Stem Cells 24:1218-25. 2006In adipose tissue engineering, the use of human serum is essential to achieve the goal of an autologous system...
- In vitro culture of human osteosarcoma cell lines: a comparison of functional characteristics for cell lines cultured in medium without and with fetal calf serumOystein Bruserud
Section for Hematology, Institute of Medicine, The University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 131:377-84. 2005..Culture media including inactivated serum is often recommended for in vitro culture of osteosarcoma cells, but the serum component then represents a ..
- Pigment epithelium-derived growth factor inhibits fetal bovine serum stimulated vascular endothelial growth factor synthesis in cultured human retinal pigment epithelial cellsPiyush C Kothary
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 572:513-8. 2006
- Optimization of the differentiation of human preadipocytes in vitroKarsten Hemmrich
Department of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery-Burn Center, University Hospital of the Aachen University of Technology, Pauwelsstr. 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Differentiation 73:28-35. 2005..modified eagle medium (DMEM)/Ham's F12 medium (F12) or OPTIMEM medium with or without the addition of human serum (hS) or fetal calf serum (FCS)...
- In vitro adipocytic conversion in Meckel's chondrocytes in response to a fatty acid-containing mediumKiyoto Ishizeki
Department of Oral Anatomy, School of Dentistry, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 69:163-71. 2006Chick serum (CKS) contains factors that stimulate adipocytes in Meckel's chondrocytes in vitro...
- Efficient bone marrow transduction by gene transfer with allogeneic umbilical cord blood serum and plasma: an implication for clinical trialsNoory Moon
Department of Cellular Medicine, Catholic High Performance Cell Therapy Center, Catholic University of Korea, Seoul 137 701, Korea
Hum Gene Ther 19:744-52. 2008..can be improved by using human allogeneic umbilical cord blood (UCB)-derived supplements instead of fetal bovine serum (FBS)...
- Understanding microchannel culture: parameters involved in soluble factor signalingHongmei Yu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Lab Chip 7:726-30. 2007..240 cells mm(-2)), (2) exogenous growth factors (epidermal growth factor [EGF] vs. fetal bovine serum), (3) medium change frequency (1 h, 4 h, 12 h), and (4) culture platform (microchannels vs. 96-well plates)...
- Impact of culture conditions on the proliferative lifespan of human T cells in vitroA Roth
Department of Hematology, University Hospital Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Cytotherapy 9:91-8. 2007..To improve T-cell expansion it is of critical importance to understand the effects of culture parameters on telomerase activity and lifespan...
- [Effects of blood serum from rats with combined radiation-thermal injury on the bone marrow hematopoietic progenitor cells growth]Xin Ze Ran
State Key Laboratory of Trauma, Burn and Combined Injury, Institute of Combined Injury, College of Preventive Medicine, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi 13:121-5. 2005To observe the effects of blood serum from rats with radiation injury, thermal injury and combined radiation-thermal lesions on growth of hematopoietic progenitor cells and the change of their serum cytokine levels, total body ..
- Transforming growth factor-beta1 downregulates beating frequency and remodeling of cultured rat adult cardiomyocytesThomas Kubin
Research Group Vascular Genomics, Kerckhoff Clinic, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 321:57-66. 2005..25-fold) indicating that protein degradation was also inhibited. Similar results were obtained with serum from healthy volunteers. The effects of TGF-beta1 were reversible...
- Pancreas Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excelle*Anton Wellstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..the infrastructure and resources to acquire tissues and bodily fluids from patients (Pancreatic Tumor Bank and Serum Detection & Molecular Identification Cores) with an expected 120 curative resections a year...
- Biomarker for liver ischemia/reperfusion-induced injuryMONIKA OLI; Fiscal Year: 2006..Current enzymatic assays of serum ALT or LDH are either non-specific or not sensitive enough to detect early stages of liver damage, assess ..
- Specialized Program of Translational Research In Acute Stroke at the PartnersKaren Furie; Fiscal Year: 2007..team at Partners have investigated both the activation of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in animals, and the serum markers of oxidative stress in acute stroke patients...
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome: Expression of RHD in the Fetus?Pirooz Eghtesady; Fiscal Year: 2010..a strong association between HLHS and prior maternal strep infection, but also elevated anti-human cardiac myosin serum titers in mothers of HLHS babies (as found in patients with rheumatic fever), compared with three control groups...
- Urine and Serum Biomarkers for Screening and Diagnosis of Ovarian CancerAnna E Lokshin; Fiscal Year: 2010..We also hypothesize that measuring biomarkers in urine instead of serum could substaitally improve classification power of screening and diagnostic assays...
- Epidemiology of CHD of Men Aged 40+ in US, Hawaii, JapanAkira Sekikawa; Fiscal Year: 2010..or higher levels of subclinical atherosclerosis as compared to Whites, (3) the Japanese in Japan had levels of serum marine n-3 fatty acids (marine n-3) higher by >100% than US populations, and (4) serum marine n-3 had a ..
- Implication of HUCBC: a novel therapeutic strategy for Alzheimer's diseaseJun Tan; Fiscal Year: 2010..response to vascular amyloid deposits) are reduced by HUCBC infusion in vivo, with attendant: (a) increased serum levels of A1-40, 42, suggesting efflux from the CNS (b) decreased soluble CD40L serum levels, (c) decreased ..
- Implication of HUCBC: a novel therapeutic strategy for Alzheimer's diseaseJun Tan; Fiscal Year: 2009..response to vascular amyloid deposits) are reduced by HUCBC infusion in vivo, with attendant: (a) increased serum levels of A1-40, 42, suggesting efflux from the CNS (b) decreased soluble CD40L serum levels, (c) decreased ..
- Long Term Outcomes in ICU Patients: Delirium & Apolipoprotein ESheila Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2009..A secondary goal of the proposed study is to explore the potential relationship between APOE 4 allele presence, serum apolipoprotein E protein levels, serum cytokine levels (IL-1, IL-6, IL-8 and IL-10) and development and duration ..
- H. influenzae: Role of Sialic Acid in VirulenceMichael A Apicella; Fiscal Year: 2010..The serum resistant phenotype appears to be a prerequisite for NTHi to initiate systemic infection (acute bronchitis, otitis ..
- Role of the Sex Hormones and Insulin/IGF-Axes in Endometrial Cancer RecurrenceMARC JAMES GUNTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..IGF-I shares sequence homology with insulin and is mitogenic. However, uterine and serum IGF-I levels are regulated by different mechanisms, and it is not known whether they are at all correlated...
- Role of the Sex Hormones and Insulin/IGF-Axes in Endometrial Cancer RecurrenceMarc Gunter; Fiscal Year: 2009..IGF-I shares sequence homology with insulin and is mitogenic. However, uterine and serum IGF-I levels are regulated by different mechanisms, and it is not known whether they are at all correlated...
- Serum IGFs--Effects of a Soy Intervention in HumansJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2002..This reduces IGF-I activity, but also increases its half-life in blood. In observational studies, high serum IGF-I, low serum IGFBP-3, or a high molar ratio of IGF-I relative to IGFBP-3 are associated with increased risk of ..
- Supplemental Vitamin D and Functional Outcomes in Early AdolescenceRichard D Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2010..that a significant number of children, particularly those with darker skin pigmentation, have inadequate levels of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D]...
- Supplemental Vitamin D and Functional Outcomes in Early AdolescenceRichard Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2009..that a significant number of children, particularly those with darker skin pigmentation, have inadequate levels of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D]...
- Fatty Acid Synthase Inhibitors: Ovarian Cancer TherapyALBERT OWENS; Fiscal Year: 2007..enroll women with recurrent disease that have failed initial therapy and overexpresses FAS, as detected by the serum FAS assay. Serum CA-125 and serum FAS will be added to the usual disease monitors and measures of progression...
- IMMUNOLOGY OF INFECTION WITH NEISSERIA GONORRHOEAEPeter Rice; Fiscal Year: 1993..which have been passed in vitro, to be killed or to resist killing by antibody and complement in normal human serum (NHS)...
- PROTEOMICS AND HEPATITIS C: FIBROSIS AND PROGNOSISGlenn Gourley; Fiscal Year: 2005..central hypothesis of this proposal is that proteomic techniques can be used to establish a relationship between serum proteins and hepatic fibrosis that will allow determination of hepatic fibrosis without a liver biopsy in patients ..
- Anti-GM1b IgM for Detection of Localized Prostate CancerMepur Ravindranath; Fiscal Year: 2005..Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is widely used for diagnosing and monitoring CaP. However, serum PSA level does not increase significantly until tumor volume exceeds 1cc, and it is inversely related to a tumor's ..
- Immunomodulatory effects of arginine supplementation in colitis and colon cancerKeith Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have found increased serum L-Arg levels in severe colitis vs. moderate colitis or normal controls...
- Gene Delivery of P53 in a Tumor-bearing Mouse ModelARCHIBALD MIXSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..polymers that in combination with liposomes significantly increased transfection in the presence or absence of serum. To test the overall hypothesis that further understanding of HK enhancement of transfection will facilitate the ..
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Advanced Chronic Kidney DiseaseRalph Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..In 2/3 of males with advanced CKD, serum testosterone (TT) levels are reduced and likely contribute to the wasting...