Genomes and Genes
Summary: The clear portion of BLOOD that is left after BLOOD COAGULATION to remove BLOOD CELLS and clotting proteins.
Publications344 found, 100 shown here
- Tumor stem cells derived from glioblastomas cultured in bFGF and EGF more closely mirror the phenotype and genotype of primary tumors than do serum-cultured cell linesJeongwu Lee
Neuro Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer Cell 9:391-403. 2006..These findings suggest that TSCs may be a more reliable model than many commonly utilized cancer cell lines for understanding the biology of primary human tumors...
- Analysis of circulating microRNA biomarkers in plasma and serum using quantitative reverse transcription-PCR (qRT-PCR)Evan M Kroh
Human Biology Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Methods 50:298-301. 2010..circulate in a stable, cell-free form in the bloodstream and that the abundance of specific miRNAs in plasma or serum can serve as biomarkers of cancer and other diseases...
- Identification of serum metabolites associated with risk of type 2 diabetes using a targeted metabolomic approachAnna Floegel
Department of Epidemiology, German Institute of Human Nutrition Potsdam Rehbruecke, Nuthetal, Germany
Diabetes 62:639-48. 2013..We prospectively investigated the association between serum metabolites measured by targeted metabolomics and risk of T2D in the European Prospective Investigation into ..
- Genome-wide association study identifies multiple loci influencing human serum metabolite levelsJohannes Kettunen
Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland, University of Helsinki, Finland
Nat Genet 44:269-76. 2012..7 million SNPs for a range of 216 serum metabolic phenotypes assessed by NMR of serum samples. We identified significant associations (P < 2...
- Comparing the MicroRNA spectrum between serum and plasmaKai Wang
Institute for Systems Biology, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e41561. 2012..In this study we focused on different sample types' effects on the spectrum of circulating miRNA in blood. Using serum and corresponding plasma samples from the same individuals, we observed higher miRNA concentrations in serum ..
- Assessing sample and miRNA profile quality in serum and plasma or other biofluidsThorarinn Blondal
Exiqon A S, Skelstedet 16, 2950 Vedbæk, Denmark
Methods 59:S1-6. 2013..The high relative stability of miRNA in common clinical tissues and biofluids (e.g. plasma, serum, urine, saliva, etc...
- The human serum metabolomeNikolaos Psychogios
Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e16957. 2011..the human metabolome through the Human Metabolome Project, we have undertaken the task of characterizing the human serum metabolome...
- Expressing the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study equation for estimating glomerular filtration rate with standardized serum creatinine valuesAndrew S Levey
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Clin Chem 53:766-72. 2007We sought to reexpress the 4-variable Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) Study equation for estimation of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) using serum creatinine (S(cr)) standardized to reference methods.
- High-throughput serum NMR metabonomics for cost-effective holistic studies on systemic metabolismPasi Soininen
NMR Metabonomics Laboratory, Laboratory of Chemistry, Department of Biosciences, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Analyst 134:1781-5. 2009..two molecular windows that contain the majority of the metabolic information available by 1H NMR from native serum, e.g. serum lipids, lipoprotein subclasses as well as various low-molecular-weight metabolites...
- HPLC-based analysis of serum N-glycans on a 96-well plate platform with dedicated database softwareLouise Royle
Department of Biochemistry, Glycobiology Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Anal Biochem 376:1-12. 2008..that accesses our database (GlycoBase) of more than 350 N-glycan structures, including 117 present in the human serum glycome; and (iv) software (autoGU) that progressively analyzes data from exoglycosidase digestions to produce a ..
- Recommendations for improving serum creatinine measurement: a report from the Laboratory Working Group of the National Kidney Disease Education ProgramGary L Myers
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Clin Chem 52:5-18. 2006Reliable serum creatinine measurements in glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimation are critical to ongoing global public health efforts to increase the diagnosis and treatment of chronic kidney disease (CKD)...
- Serum proteome and cytokine analysis in a longitudinal cohort of adults with primary dengue infection reveals predictive markers of DHFYadunanda Kumar
Interdisciplinary Research Group in Infectious Diseases, Singapore MIT Alliance for Research and Technology, Singapore, Singapore
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1887. 2012..Consequently, there are no reliable methods currently available for early triage of DHF patients resulting in significant over-hospitalization...
- A serum circulating miRNA diagnostic test to identify asymptomatic high-risk individuals with early stage lung cancerFabrizio Bianchi
IFOM, the FIRC Institute for Molecular Oncology Foundation, at the IFOM IEO Campus, Milan, Italy
EMBO Mol Med 3:495-503. 2011..We developed a test, based on the detection of 34 microRNAs (miRNAs) from serum, that could identify patients with early stage non-small cell lung carcinomas (NSCLCs) in a population of ..
- miRNAs as serum biomarkers for Duchenne muscular dystrophyDavide Cacchiarelli
Department of Biology and Biotechnology, Institute Pasteur Cenci Bolognetti and IBPM, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
EMBO Mol Med 3:258-65. 2011..Despite many different DMD therapeutic approaches are now entering clinical trials, a unifying method for assessing the benefit of different treatments is still lacking...
- Quantitative assessment of human serum high-abundance protein depletionRene Stempfer
Molecular Diagnostics, Life Sciences, Austrian Research Centers GmbH ARC, Seibersdorf, Austria
Electrophoresis 29:4316-23. 2008The aim of this study is to quantify the effectivity of the depletion of human high-abundance serum and plasma proteins for improved protein identification and disease marker candidate discovery and to assess the risk of concomitant ..
- Human alternatives to fetal bovine serum for the expansion of mesenchymal stromal cells from bone marrowKaren Bieback
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, German Red Cross Blood Service of Baden Württemberg Hessen, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Stem Cells 27:2331-41. 2009..For clinical scale manufacturing, human factors from serum or platelets have been suggested as alternatives to fetal bovine serum (FBS)...
- Serum microRNA-122 levels in different groups of patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infectionO Waidmann
Medizinische Klinik 1, Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie und Hepatologie, Klinikum der Goethe Universität, Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Viral Hepat 19:e58-65. 2012miR-122 is a liver-specific microRNA, which also circulates in the blood. The levels of miR-122 in serum and plasma correlate with hepatic necroinflammation in patients with hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection...
- Campylobacter capsule and lipooligosaccharide confer resistance to serum and cationic antimicrobialsThormika Keo
Department of Microbiology, New York University School of Medicine, NY, USA
Virulence 2:30-40. 2011..While diarrheal isolates of C. jejuni usually are susceptible to human serum, we found that a systemic strain of C...
- Haptoglobin-hemoglobin receptor independent killing of African trypanosomes by human serum and trypanosome lytic factorsWhitney Bullard
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Virulence 3:72-6. 2012..We now show that loss of the TbbHpHbR reduces the susceptibility of T. b. brucei to human serum and TLF-1 by 100- and 10,000-fold, respectively...
- Expression profile of microRNAs in serum: a fingerprint for esophageal squamous cell carcinomaChunni Zhang
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Jinling Hospital, Clinical School of Medical College, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Clin Chem 56:1871-9. 2010..The discovery of serum microRNAs (miRNAs) and their unique concentration profiles in patients with various diseases makes them attractive,..
- Elevated serum levels of high mobility group box 1 (HMGB1) protein in dengue-infected patients are associated with disease symptoms and secondary infectionDiego Allonso
Laboratory of Structural Genomics, Biophysics Institute Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Clin Virol 55:214-9. 2012..Recently, it was observed that both DENV-infected epithelial cells undergoing necrosis and dendritic cells (DCs) are able to release a non-classical pro-inflammatory cytokine called high mobility group box 1 (HMGB1)...
- Value of soluble TREM-1, procalcitonin, and C-reactive protein serum levels as biomarkers for detecting bacteremia among sepsis patients with new fever in intensive care units: a prospective cohort studyLongxiang Su
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Hainan Branch of Chinese PLA General Hospital, Sanya, Hainan Province 572013, China
BMC Infect Dis 12:157. 2012..triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells 1 (sTREM-1), procalcitonin (PCT), and C-reactive protein (CRP) serum levels for differentiating sepsis from SIRS, identifying new fever caused by bacteremia, and assessing prognosis ..
- Serum metabolomics reveals higher levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids in lepromatous leprosy: potential markers for susceptibility and pathogenesisReem Al-Mubarak
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1303. 2011..Various studies have examined lipid metabolism in leprosy, but there has been limited work using whole metabolite profiles to distinguish the clinical forms of leprosy...
- Class 2 IGF-1 isoforms are dispensable for viability, growth and maintenance of IGF-1 serum levelsL Temmerman
European Molecular Biology Laboratory Mouse Biology Unit, Via Ramarini 32, I 00015 Monterotondo Scalo, Roma, Italy
Growth Horm IGF Res 20:255-63. 2010..not necessary for systemic circulation of IGF-1, revealing an internal compensation system for maintaining IGF-1 serum concentrations...
- Antigen microarrays identify unique serum autoantibody signatures in clinical and pathologic subtypes of multiple sclerosisFrancisco J Quintana
Center for Neurologic Diseases, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18889-94. 2008..We performed antigen microarray analysis to characterize patterns of antibody reactivity in MS serum against a panel of CNS protein and lipid autoantigens and heat shock proteins...
- Standardized approach to proteome profiling of human serum based on magnetic bead separation and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometrySven Baumann
Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, University Hospital, Leipzig, Germany
Clin Chem 51:973-80. 2005..The aims of our study were to establish a proteome fractionation technique and to validate a standardized blood sampling, processing, and storage procedure for proteomic pattern analysis...
- Optimization of chemically defined cell culture media--replacing fetal bovine serum in mammalian in vitro methodsJ van der Valk
Fac Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 2, 3584 CM Utrecht, The Netherlands
Toxicol In Vitro 24:1053-63. 2010..This will decrease the dependence on animal serum, a supplement with an undefined and variable composition...
- Up-converting phosphor technology-based lateral flow assay for detection of Schistosoma circulating anodic antigen in serumPaul L A M Corstjens
Leiden University Medical Center, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Bldg 2, S 01 030, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 46:171-6. 2008Schistosoma sp. circular anodic antigen (CAA) serum concentrations reflect actual worm burden in a patient and are a valuable tool for population screening and epidemiological research...
- Differences between human plasma and serum metabolite profilesZhonghao Yu
Research Unit of Molecular Epidemiology, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Neuherberg, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e21230. 2011Human plasma and serum are widely used matrices in clinical and biological studies. However, different collecting procedures and the coagulation cascade influence concentrations of both proteins and metabolites in these matrices...
- Hepatitis C virus replication in transfected and serum-infected cultured human fetal hepatocytesCatherine A Lazaro
Department of Pathology, University of Washington School of Medicine, K078 Health Sciences Building, Box 357705, Seattle, WA 98195 7705, USA
Am J Pathol 170:478-89. 2007..This culture system may be used to study the responses of nontransformed human hepatocytes to HCV infection, to analyze serum infectivity, and to clone novel HCVs from infected patients.
- A proteomics approach for the identification and cloning of monoclonal antibodies from serumWan Cheung Cheung
Cell Signaling Technology, Inc, Danvers, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Biotechnol 30:447-52. 2012..that identifies antigen-specific antibody sequences directly from circulating polyclonal antibodies in the serum of an immunized animal...
- Mechanism of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense resistance to human serumPierrick Uzureau
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology, IBMM, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 12 rue des Prof Jeener et Brachet, B 6041 Gosselies, Belgium
Nature 501:430-4. 2013..Human immunity to some African trypanosomes is due to two serum complexes designated trypanolytic factors (TLF-1 and -2), which both contain haptoglobin-related protein (HPR) and ..
- Distinct polymer architecture mediates switching of complement activation pathways at the nanosphere-serum interface: implications for stealth nanoparticle engineeringIslam Hamad
Molecular Targeting and Polymer Toxicology Group, School of Pharmacy, University of Brighton, Brighton BN2 4GJ, U K
ACS Nano 4:6629-38. 2010....
- Serum metabolomics as a novel diagnostic approach for disease: a systematic reviewAihua Zhang
National TCM Key Lab of Serum Pharmacochemistry, Key Pharmacometabolomics Platform of Chinese Medicines, and Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine, Harbin, China
Anal Bioanal Chem 404:1239-45. 2012..Monitoring specific metabolite levels in serum, the most commonly used biofluid in metabolomics, has become an important way of detecting the early stages of a ..
- Human AB serum and thrombin-activated platelet-rich plasma are suitable alternatives to fetal calf serum for the expansion of mesenchymal stem cells from adipose tissueAsli Kocaoemer
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, German Red Cross Blood Service of Baden Württemberg Hessen, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Stem Cells 25:1270-8. 2007..However, most isolation and expansion protocols for clinical-scale production of MSCs use fetal calf serum (FCS) as a supplement, which poses a potential risk for infections as well as immunological reactions...
- Trypanosoma brucei gambiense group 1 is distinguished by a unique amino acid substitution in the HpHb receptor implicated in human serum resistanceRebecca E Symula
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1728. 2012..mechanisms of resisting the activity of trypanosome lytic factors (TLFs), components of innate immunity in human serum that protect against infection by other African trypanosomes...
- Plasma versus serum levels of osteopontin and mesothelin in patients with malignant mesothelioma--which is best?Jenette Creaney
National Research Centre for Asbestos Related Diseases, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, 4th Floor, G Block, Verdun St, Nedlands, WA 6009, Australia
Lung Cancer 74:55-60. 2011..As there is some concern about the sensitivity of osteopontin in serum versus plasma, we compared them in the same patient population to mesothelin.
- Serum derived from multiple trauma patients promotes the differentiation of endothelial progenitor cells in vitro: possible role of transforming growth factor-beta1 and vascular endothelial growth factor165Dirk Henrich
Department of Trauma Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Shock 21:13-6. 2004..Here, we report that serum derived from patients with MT stimulates differentiation of EPCs in vitro from peripheral blood mononuclear cells (..
- Low serum iron levels are associated with elevated plasma levels of coagulation factor VIII and pulmonary emboli/deep venous thromboses in replicate cohorts of patients with hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasiaJohn A Livesey
Imperial College School of Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
Thorax 67:328-33. 2012..Elevated plasma levels of coagulation factor VIII are a strong risk factor for pulmonary emboli and deep venous thromboses...
- Serum from patients undergoing remote ischemic preconditioning protects cultured human intestinal cells from hypoxia-induced damage: involvement of matrixmetalloproteinase-2 and -9Karina Zitta
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
Mol Med 18:29-37. 2012..to evaluate the effects of RIPC-conditioned patient sera on hypoxia-induced cell damage in vitro and to identify serum factors that mediate RIPC effects...
- Strategies for extended serum half-life of protein therapeuticsRoland E Kontermann
Institut fur Zellbiologie und Immunologie, Universitat Stuttgart, Allmandring 31, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Curr Opin Biotechnol 22:868-76. 2011....
- Strong association between non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and low 25(OH) vitamin D levels in an adult population with normal serum liver enzymesIlaria Barchetta
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
BMC Med 9:85. 2011..Aim of our study was to test the hypothesis of a direct association between hypovitaminosis D and the presence of NAFLD in subjects with various degree of insulin-resistance and related metabolic disorders...
- Genome-wide mapping of Myc binding and gene regulation in serum-stimulated fibroblastsD Perna
Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, IFOM IEO Campus, Milan, Italy
Oncogene 31:1695-709. 2012The transition from quiescence to proliferation is a key regulatory step that can be induced by serum stimulation in cultured fibroblasts...
- Neuroprotective effects of salidroside in the PC12 cell model exposed to hypoglycemia and serum limitationShu Yu
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Neuroregeneration, Nantong University, Nantong, JS 226001, People s Republic of China
Cell Mol Neurobiol 28:1067-78. 2008The hypoglycemia and serum limitation-induced cell death in cultured PC12 cells represents a useful in vitro model for the study of brain ischemia and neurodegenerative disorders...
- Serum bilirubin and genes controlling bilirubin concentrations as biomarkers for cardiovascular diseaseJing Ping Lin
Office of Biostatistics Research, Division of Cardiovascular Science, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Clin Chem 56:1535-43. 2010b>Serum bilirubin has been consistently shown to be inversely related to cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Cytokine levels in bronchoalveolar lavage and serum in 3 patients with 2009 Influenza A(H1N1)v severe pneumoniaAngel Estella
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital de Jerez, Spain
J Infect Dev Ctries 5:540-3. 2011..In this study, we assess the inflammatory response mediated by cytokines at the local and systemic levels in three cases of severe pneumonia caused by Influenza A (H1N1) virus...
- LC-MS/MS quantification of Zn-alpha2 glycoprotein: a potential serum biomarker for prostate cancerOlga P Bondar
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin Chem 53:673-8. 2007..We present a high-flow liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) method for measuring serum ZAG concentrations by proteolytic cleavage of the protein and quantification of a unique peptide.
- High-mannose glycans on the Fc region of therapeutic IgG antibodies increase serum clearance in humansAndrew M Goetze
Department of Process and Product Development, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Glycobiology 21:949-59. 2011..The therapeutic IgGs were affinity purified from serum samples from human pharmacokinetic studies, and changes to the glycan profile over time were determined by peptide ..
- Association of increased serum IL-33 levels with clinical and laboratory characteristics of systemic lupus erythematosus in Chinese populationZaixing Yang
Department of Laboratory Diagnostics, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Clin Exp Med 11:75-80. 2011..The aim of this study was to examine whether the serum IL-33 level is associated with SLE. A total of 70 patients with SLE were recruited...
- Factor H-binding protein is important for meningococcal survival in human whole blood and serum and in the presence of the antimicrobial peptide LL-37K L Seib
Molecular Genetics Unit, Novartis Vaccines, Via Fiorentina, 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Infect Immun 77:292-9. 2009..All fHBP null mutant strains analyzed were sensitive to killing in ex vivo human whole blood and serum models of meningococcal bacteremia with respect to the isogenic wild-type strains...
- Effects of chemical modification on the potency, serum stability, and immunostimulatory properties of short shRNAsQing Ge
SomaGenics, Inc, Santa Cruz, California 95060, USA
RNA 16:118-30. 2010..In this study, the effects of chemical modifications on the potency, serum stability, and innate immune response of sshRNAs were investigated...
- Toxicity of amorphous silica nanoparticles on eukaryotic cell model is determined by particle agglomeration and serum protein adsorption effectsDaniela Drescher
BAM Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing, Richard Willstätter Str 11, 12489 Berlin, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 400:1367-73. 2011..on XTT viability assay, cytotoxicity is shown to be a function of (1) particle concentration and (2) of fetal calf serum (FCS) content in the cell culture medium...
- Differential effect of platelet-rich plasma and fetal calf serum on bone marrow-derived human mesenchymal stromal cells expanded in vitroAnja Goedecke
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Department of Haematology, Dresden, Germany
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 5:648-54. 2011..Human platelet-rich plasma has been introduced as an alternative serum source but functional differences have so far not been described...
- Serum-induced iron-acquisition systems and TonB contribute to virulence in Klebsiella pneumoniae causing primary pyogenic liver abscessPei Fang Hsieh
Department of Microbiology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Infect Dis 197:1717-27. 2008..Klebsiella pneumoniae has become the predominant pathogen causing primary pyogenic liver abscess (PLA)...
- Free thyroid hormones in serum by direct equilibrium dialysis and online solid-phase extraction--liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometryBingfang Yue
ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, Salt Lake City, UT 84108 1221, USA
Clin Chem 54:642-51. 2008..We describe a direct equilibrium dialysis (ED)-liquid chromatography (LC)/tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) method for FT4 and FT3...
- Determination of folate vitamers in human serum by stable-isotope-dilution tandem mass spectrometry and comparison with radioassay and microbiologic assayChristine M Pfeiffer
National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Clin Chem 50:423-32. 2004..tandem mass spectrometric method coupled to liquid chromatography (LC/MS/MS) as a candidate reference method for 5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid (5MeTHF), 5-formyltetrahydrofolic acid (5FoTHF), and folic acid (FA) in human serum.
- Microfluidic isolation and transcriptome analysis of serum microvesiclesChihchen Chen
BioMEMS Resource Center, Center for Engineering in Medicine and Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Lab Chip 10:505-11. 2010..present an easy and rapid microfluidic immunoaffinity method to isolate microvesicles from small volumes of both serum from blood samples and conditioned medium from cells in culture...
- High immunogenic enterovirus 71 strain and its production using serum-free microcarrier Vero cell cultureChia Chyi Liu
Institute of Biotechnology, Department of Life Science, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
Vaccine 25:19-24. 2007..We have previously reported that large-scale preparation of a low immunogenic EV71 strain can be achieved using serum free microcarrier Vero cell culture in a 2-l bioreactor [Wu SC, Liu CC, Lian WC...
- Ultradian oscillations of Stat, Smad, and Hes1 expression in response to serumShigeki Yoshiura
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:11292-7. 2007b>Serum response has been used as a model for studying signaling transduction for many biological events such as cell proliferation and survival...
- Impact of individual platelet lysates on isolation and growth of human mesenchymal stromal cellsPatrick Horn
Department of Medicine V, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Cytotherapy 12:888-98. 2010Culture medium for mesenchymal stromal cells (MSC) is frequently supplemented with fetal calf serum (FCS)...
- Procedures for large-scale metabolic profiling of serum and plasma using gas chromatography and liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometryWarwick B Dunn
Manchester Centre for Integrative Systems Biology, Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Nat Protoc 6:1060-83. 2011..Protocols for serum- and plasma-based metabolic profiling applying gas chromatography-MS (GC-MS) and ultraperformance liquid ..
- Serum and plasma proteomicsHaleem J Issaq
Laboratory of Proteomics and Analytical Technologies, Advanced Technology Program, SAIC Frederick, Inc, NCI Frederick, P O Box B, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Chem Rev 107:3601-20. 2007
- Optimization of in vitro expansion of human multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells for cell-therapy approaches: further insights in the search for a fetal calf serum substituteM E Bernardo
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Cell Physiol 211:121-30. 2007..MSCs are currently expanded in vitro in the presence of fetal calf serum (FCS); however, FCS raises concerns when used in clinical grade preparations...
- A blood-based screening tool for Alzheimer's disease that spans serum and plasma: findings from TARC and ADNISid E O'Bryant
Department of Neurology, F Marie Hall Institute for Rural and Community Health, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e28092. 2011..There is no rapid and cost effective tool that can be implemented as a front-line screening tool for Alzheimer's disease (AD) at the population level...
- Development of a robust and repeatable UPLC-MS method for the long-term metabolomic study of human serumEva Zelena
Bioanalytical Sciences Group, School of Chemistry, Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, University of Manchester, M1 7DN, UK
Anal Chem 81:1357-64. 2009A method for performing untargeted metabolomic analysis of human serum has been developed based on protein precipitation followed by Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography and Time-of-Flight mass spectrometry (UPLC-TOF-MS)...
- Phosphoethanolamine substitution of lipid A and resistance of Neisseria gonorrhoeae to cationic antimicrobial peptides and complement-mediated killing by normal human serumLisa A Lewis
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Infect Immun 77:1112-20. 2009..cause disseminated gonococcal infection requires that such strains resist the bactericidal action of normal human serum. The bactericidal action of normal human serum against N...
- Development of a high-throughput assay for measuring serum neutralizing antibody against enterovirus 71Mei Liang Huang
Vaccine Research and Development Center, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan
J Virol Methods 165:42-5. 2010..The serum neutralizing antibody response is the major indicator of EV71 infection and protective immunity...
- Polymorphism of rs1044925 in the acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase-1 gene and serum lipid levels in the Guangxi Bai Ku Yao and Han populationsDong Feng Wu
Department of Cardiology, Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, The First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, 22 Shuangyong Road, Nanning 530021, Guangxi, China
Lipids Health Dis 9:139. 2010The association of rs1044925 polymorphism in the acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase-1 (ACAT-1) gene and serum lipid profiles is not well known in different ethnic groups. Bai Ku Yao is a special subgroup of the Yao minority in China...
- High-abundance proteins depletion for serum proteomic analysis: concomitant removal of non-targeted proteinsElisa Bellei
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Medical Faculty, University Hospital of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100, Modena, Italy
Amino Acids 40:145-56. 2011In clinical and pharmaceutical proteomics, serum and plasma are frequently used for detection of early diagnostic biomarkers for therapeutic targets...
- Uremic serum and solutes increase post-vascular interventional thrombotic risk through altered stability of smooth muscle cell tissue factorVipul C Chitalia
Harvard MIT Division of Science and Technology, Bldg E25 449, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Circulation 127:365-76. 2013..We posit that uremia modulates TF in the local vessel wall to induce postinterventional thrombosis in patients with end-stage renal disease...
- Lack of short-term increase in serum mediators of fibrogenesis and in non-invasive markers of liver fibrosis in HIV/hepatitis C virus-coinfected patients starting maraviroc-based antiretroviral therapyJ Macias
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiología, Hospital Universitario de Valme, Avda Bellavista s n, 41014, Seville, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:2083-8. 2012The aim of this study was to analyze serum changes in mediators of fibrogenesis and in non-invasive markers of liver fibrosis among HIV/HCV-coinfected patients starting maraviroc (MVC)-based antiretroviral therapy...
- Replicative aging and differentiation potential of human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stromal cells expanded in pooled human or fetal bovine serumKaren Bieback
Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, Medical Faculty Mannheim, Heidelberg University, German Red Cross Blood Service Baden Württemberg Hessen, Germany
Cytotherapy 14:570-83. 2012..manufacturing, different supplements have been evaluated as alternatives for the commonly used fetal bovine serum (FBS)...
- Serum insulin-like growth factor-1 levels predict outcomes of patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma receiving antiangiogenic therapyYu Yun Shao
Department of Oncology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Cancer Res 18:3992-7. 2012Patients with liver cirrhosis or hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) have decreased serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 levels...
- Gradient generation by an osmotic pump and the behavior of human mesenchymal stem cells under the fetal bovine serum concentration gradientJoong Yull Park
Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Medicine, Korea University, Anam Dong, Seongbuk gu, Seoul 136 705, Republic of Korea
Lab Chip 7:1673-80. 2007..pump was evaluated by culturing human mesenchymal stem cells within the concentration gradient of fetal bovine serum. The effects of the gradient on attachment, viability and morphology of the cells were analyzed and quantified...
- Dengue virus infection-enhancing activity in serum samples with neutralizing activity as determined by using FcγR-expressing cellsMeng Ling Moi
Department of Virology 1, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1536. 2012....
- Bordetella pertussis autotransporter Vag8 binds human C1 esterase inhibitor and confers serum resistanceNico Marr
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e20585. 2011..pertussis factor was not identified. Here we set out to identify the B. pertussis C1inh-binding factor. Using a serum overlay assay, we found that this factor migrates at approximately 100 kDa on an SDS-PAGE gel...
- Mesenchymal stem cells are injured by complement after their contact with serumYan Li
Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Blood 120:3436-43. 2012..this report, we demonstrated that human MSCs activated complement of the innate immunity after their contact with serum. Although all 3 known intrinsic cell-surface complement regulators were present on MSCs, activated complement ..
- Preclinical prophylactic efficacy testing of Sm-p80-based vaccine in a nonhuman primate model of Schistosoma mansoni infection and immunoglobulin G and E responses to Sm-p80 in human serum samples from an area where schistosomiasis is endemicGul Ahmad
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
J Infect Dis 204:1437-49. 2011..Human correlate studies revealed Sm-p80 reactivity with immunoglobulin G in human serum samples from schistosome-infected individuals...
- Effects of smoking and smoking cessation on human serum metabolite profile: results from the KORA cohort studyTao Xu
Research Unit of Molecular Epidemiology, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Ingolstädter Landstraße 1, Neuherberg 85764, Germany
BMC Med 11:60. 2013..Here, we extend our metabolomics study with a large prospective study including female smokers and quitters...
- Complement factor D, albumin, and immunoglobulin G anti-band 3 protein antibodies mimic serum in promoting rosetting of malaria-infected red blood cellsAlexander Luginbühl
ETH Zurich, Institute of Biochemistry, HPM D14, Schafmattstrasse 18, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Infect Immun 75:1771-7. 2007..Rosetting is serum dependent for many isolates of P. falciparum, including the strains FCR3S1.2 and Malayan Camp studied here...
- First time molecular detection and phylogenetic relationships of torque teno sus virus 1 and 2 in domestic pigs in Uganda: further evidence for a global distributionMatilda Brink
Section of Virology, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Veterinary Public Health, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Virol J 9:39. 2012..Therefore, the aim of this study was to investigate the possible presence of the two viruses in domestic pigs in Uganda, and describe the phylogenetic relationships to those in the rest of the world...
- Enrichment of peptides in serum by C(8)-functionalized magnetic nanoparticles for direct matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry analysisNing Yao
Department of Chemistry, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
J Chromatogr A 1185:93-101. 2008Human serum contains a complex array of proteolytically derived peptides (serum peptidome), which contain biomarkers of preclinical screening and disease diagnosis...
- Increased oxidative DNA damage, as assessed by urinary 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine concentrations, and serum redox status in persons exposed to mercuryChunying Chen
Key Laboratory of Nuclear Analytical Techniques and Laboratory for Nanoscale Materials and Related Bio Environmental Sciences, Institute of High Energy Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, Peoples Republic of China
Clin Chem 51:759-67. 2005..In this study, we evaluated the relationship between mercury exposure and oxidative stress, serum and urinary mercury concentrations, oxidative DNA damage, and serum redox status in chronically mercury-exposed ..
- Serum BDNF levels and weight gain in schizophrenic patients on long-term treatment with antipsychoticsXiang Yang Zhang
Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Psychiatr Res 41:997-1004. 2007..Reports have also shown that serum BDNF is altered in schizophrenic patients treated with antipsychotics...
- Growth stimulation leads to cellular senescence when the cell cycle is blockedZoya N Demidenko
Oncotarget, Albany, New York, USA
Cell Cycle 7:3355-61. 2008..In the presence of serum, induction of p21 caused senescence, characterized by beta-Galactosidase staining, cell hypertrophy, increased ..
- Serum starvation induces H2AX phosphorylation to regulate apoptosis via p38 MAPK pathwayChengrong Lu
The Aviation Medicine Research Lab, General Hospital of Air Force, Fucheng Road 30, Beijing 100036, China
FEBS Lett 582:2703-8. 2008..Here we show that serum starvation induces H2AX phosphorylation and apoptosis independent of the JNK pathway...
- Monoclonal antibodies raised against the ORF3 protein of hepatitis E virus (HEV) can capture HEV particles in culture supernatant and serum but not those in fecesMasaharu Takahashi
Division of Virology, Department of Infection and Immunity, Jichi Medical University School of Medicine, 3311 1 Yakushiji, Shimotsuke shi, Tochigi Ken 329 0498, Japan
Arch Virol 153:1703-13. 2008..The anti-ORF3 MAbs could capture HEV particles in culture medium and serum at variable efficiency of up to 61 and 49%, respectively, but not those in feces...
- Aberrant expression of serum miRNAs in schizophreniaWenting Shi
State Key Laboratory of Bioelectronics, School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
J Psychiatr Res 46:198-204. 2012..from the literature, Schizophrenia Gene database, NCBI database, the quantification of the nine miRNAs in the serum samples of 115 patients suffering from schizophrenia and 40 healthy individuals using qRT-PCR and semi-nested qRT-..
- Characterization of a uricase from Bacillus fastidious A.T.C.C. 26904 and its application to serum uric acid assay by a patented kinetic uricase methodYunsheng Zhao
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Molecular Engineering, Chongqing University of Medical Sciences, Chongqing 400016, People s Republic of China
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 45:75-80. 2006An intracellular uricase from Bacillus fastidious A.T.C.C. 26904 was characterized and evaluated for serum uric acid assay by a patented kinetic uricase method. The active uricase was 151 kDa by gel filtration through Sephadex G-200...
- Autologous serum for isolation and expansion of human mesenchymal stem cells for clinical useNorbert Stute
Bone Marrow Transplant Center, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Exp Hematol 32:1212-25. 2004..One major obstacle for their clinical use is the biosafety of fetal calf serum (FCS), which is a crucial part of all media currently used for the culture of MSC.
- A population of serum deprivation-induced bone marrow stem cells (SD-BMSC) expresses marker typical for embryonic and neural stem cellsSteven Sauerzweig
Leibniz Institute for Neurobiology IfN, Projectgroup Neuropharmacology, Brenneckestr 6, 39118 Magdeburg, Germany
Exp Cell Res 315:50-66. 2009..The complete removal of serum might offer a simple way to specifically enrich this fraction of pluripotent embryonic like stem cells in BMSC ..
- A multi-metabolite analysis of serum by 1H NMR spectroscopy: early systemic signs of Alzheimer's diseaseTaru Tukiainen
Computational Medicine Research Group, Department of Biomedical Engineering and Computational Science, Helsinki University of Technology, P O Box 9203, FI 02015 HUT, Finland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 375:356-61. 2008A three-molecular-window approach for (1)H NMR spectroscopy of serum is presented to obtain specific molecular data on lipoproteins, various low-molecular-weight metabolites, and individual lipid molecules together with their degree of (..
- Serum antibody response to five Streptococcus pneumoniae proteins during acute otitis media in otitis-prone and non-otitis-prone childrenRavinder Kaur
Rochester General Hospital Research Institute, Center for Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Rochester, NY 14621, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:645-50. 2011..Streptococcus pneumoniae (Spn) is one of the common bacteria responsible for episodic acute otitis media (AOM; non-otitis-prone), recurrent AOM (otitis-prone), and AOM treatment failure (AOMTF) in children...
- Inhibition of vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation by serum from rats treated orally with Gastrodia and Uncaria decoction, a traditional Chinese formulationShijun Wang
Department of Cardiovascular Disease, The First Affiliated Hospital, Medical School of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310003, China
J Ethnopharmacol 114:458-62. 2007This study was to investigate the effect of serum from rats treated orally with GUD on vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) proliferation in vitro.
- The effects of serum on the toxicity of manufactured nanoparticlesMartin J D Clift
Centre for Nano Safety, School of Life Sciences, Edinburgh Napier University, Merchiston Campus, 10 Colinton Road, Edinburgh EH10 5DT, United Kingdom
Toxicol Lett 198:358-65. 2010The aim of the present study was to assess the effects of the presence and absence of serum in NP suspension media in relation to their cytotoxicity, as well as their potential to cause oxidative stress and stimulate pro-inflammatory ..
- The CO-releasing molecule CORM-3 protects against articular degradation in the K/BxN serum transfer arthritis modelNuria Maicas
Department of Pharmacology, University of Valencia, Av Vicent Andres Estelles s n, 46100 Burjasot, Valencia, Spain
Eur J Pharmacol 634:184-91. 2010..Arthritis was induced in C57Black-6 mice by an intraperitoneal injection of serum from arthritic K/BxN mice...
- Serum concentrations of ribavirin and pegylated interferon and viral responses in patients infected with HIV and HCVFlorence Nicot
INSERM, U 563, Toulouse, France
J Med Virol 80:1523-9. 2008..This study investigated the relationship between the serum pegylated interferon and ribavirin concentrations 3 and 6 months after treatment initiation, and treatment outcome ..
- Differences between Trypanosoma brucei gambiense groups 1 and 2 in their resistance to killing by trypanolytic factor 1Paul Capewell
College of Medical, Veterinary and Biological Sciences, Wellcome Trust Centre for Molecular Parasitology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1287. 2011..b. brucei is unable to infect humans due to sensitivity to trypanosome lytic factors (TLF) 1 and 2 found in human serum. T. b. rhodesiense and T. b. gambiense are able to resist lysis by TLF. There are two distinct sub-groups of T. b...
- Comparison of human serum with fetal bovine serum for expansion and differentiation of human synovial MSC: potential feasibility for clinical applicationsK Tateishi
Department of Orthopedics, National Hospital Organization Kure Medical Center, Hiroshima, Japan
Cell Transplant 17:549-57. 2008The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of human serum (HS) on growth and differentiation capacity of human synovium-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) in comparison to cells grown in fetal bovine serum (FBS)...
- Higher amount of free circulating DNA in serum than in plasma is not mainly caused by contaminated extraneous DNA during separationNaoyuki Umetani
Department of Molecular Oncology, John Wayne Cancer Institute, 2200 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1075:299-307. 2006Circulating DNA isolated from serum and plasma has been shown to be a useful biomarker in various diseases including cancer. Serum reportedly contains a higher amount of free circulating DNA than it does in plasma...
- Efficient and specific removal of albumin from human serum samplesLaura F Steel
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson Center for Biomedical Research, Doylestown, Pennsylvania 18901, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 2:262-70. 2003Patient serum or plasma is frequently monitored for biochemical markers of disease or physiological status...
- Personalized Clinical Diagnostics and Beyond: Integrated Ring Resonator ArraysRyan Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..This technology promises to broadly impact the landscape of the biomedical sciences, both meeting the clinical diagnostic challenges of today and pioneering the paradigm-shifting discoveries of tomorrow. ..
- Xenoestrogen regulation of Leydig cellsBENSON TOKUNBO AKINGBEMI; Fiscal Year: 2010..The P.I. hypothesizes that disparities in serum androgen levels and Leydig cell steroidogenic capacity are linked to differences in the numbers of Leydig cells...
- NIEHS SUPPORT OF THE AHS COHORT STUDY AT NCICharles Knott; Fiscal Year: 2010..Contrary to earlier investigations, however, the risk of breast cancer was not associated with serum levels of DDT among women in Mexico City...
- THE AGRICULTURAL HEALTH STUDY - FIELD STATIONSCharles Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2010..Contrary to earlier investigations, however, the risk of breast cancer was not associated with serum levels of DDT among women in Mexico City...
- ASTHMA AND ALLERGIC DISEASE CENTERThomas A Platts Mills; Fiscal Year: 2010..markers such as eosinophilia, exhaled NO (eNO) and sinus CT score;as well as measurements of cytokines in serum and leukotrienes in urine...
- The Primate Corpus Luteum: Functional Regression and Cardiovascular ImpactsRandy L Bogan; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Serum levels of estradiol (E2) and P4, as well as the first day of menstruation, will be used as markers of luteal ..
- Cardiotrophin-Like Cytokine 1, a Candidate Molecule for the FSGS FactorVirginia J Savin; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have documented that serum or plasma from FSGS patients increases glomerular albumin permeability (Palb) and that the specific activity of ..
- Cardiovascular Responses to Sleep Apnea in Tetraplegia: A Pilot StudyJill M Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2010..A secondary objective of this pilot investigation will be to investigate whether nocturnal plasma renin and serum aldosterone concentrations differ among individuals with tetraplegia and OSA compared to their counterparts ..
- Iron-mediated vascular disease in sickle cell disease.John C Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..Pancreatic R2* will be measured as a surrogate for chronic labile iron exposure. Serum ferritin, transferrin saturation, and labile plasma iron (LPI) will be measured as acute markers of iron status...
- Pilot and definitive studies to evaluate Insertional MutagenesisLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2012..glutathione, clinical pathology, hepatic RNA isolation and subsequent microarray profiling, liver proteomics and serum multiple analyte profiles (MAPs) will be determined in this study...
- Studies to Evaluate the Toxicological Potential of Test ArticlesLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..glutathione, clinical pathology, hepatic RNA isolation and subsequent microarray profiling, liver proteomics and serum multiple analyte profiles (MAPs) will be determined in this study...
- Importance of antigen specific immunoglobulin responses in controlling SIV/SHIV iBapi Pahar; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will also compare quantitative and qualitative binding properties of all longitudinal plasma/serum samples and/or mucosal secretions from macaques with different levels of immunity to trimeric recombinant SIV/..
- Comprehensive biomarker study to capitalize on existing GWAS in 10K South AsiansDanish Saleheen; Fiscal Year: 2010..D, parathyroid hormone);and (4) inflammation and hemostasis (hsCRP, MCP-1, IL-6, sTNFRII, sVCAM-1, sICAM-1, serum amyloid A, MMP-9, E-selectin, P-selectin, CD40 ligand, fibrinogen, von Willebrand factor, and D-dimer)...
- Peroxynitrite Decomposition Catalyst and Nitric Oxide Donor for EndotoxemiaGARRY JOHN SOUTHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Serum and tissue will be examined 48 h post LPS dosing in each of the above Aims for determination of morphologic and ..
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialBARBARA O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Whole blood, sequential serum samples and one plasma sample were collected from the intervention arm...
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2013..Whole blood, sequential serum samples and one plasma sample were collected from the intervention arm...
- Vitamin D3, Interference with Androgen Signal and Inhibition of Prostate CancerBandana Chatterjee; Fiscal Year: 2013..Vitamin D deficiency is a common problem among the elderly. Population based research has shown that low serum vitamin D levels in men correlate with increased prostate cancer risk...
- Effects of Evoked Resistance Training and Testosterone after Spinal Cord InjuryAshraf Gorgey; Fiscal Year: 2012..the changes in metabolic milieu (resting energy expenditure, glucose homeostasis, lipid profile, free fatty acids, serum total and free testosterone and IGF-1), and cytokines (c-reactive protein, tumor necrosis factor alpha and IL-6 as ..
- Retinoid and Carotenoid Depletion in Patients at High-Risk for Liver CancerPeter H Gann; Fiscal Year: 2010..of oxidative stress that can serve as surrogate endpoints in early trials, and c) determine how biomarkers in serum and urine relate to antioxidant levels in the liver itself and to tissue markers of pre-neoplastic change...
- Reactive (AA)AmyloidosisMerrill D Benson; Fiscal Year: 2013..or genetic, cause recurrent inflammation resulting in elevated expression of the acute phase proteins of the serum amyloid A (SAA) family. SAA, an apolipoprotein of plasma HDL, is the precursor of the amyloid fibril subunit AA...
- Pituitary dysfunction, behavioral symptoms, and quality of life after blast mTBICHARLES WILLIAM WILKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..changes in body composition, and poorer QoL;and 4) to determine whether a combination of basal hormone measures, serum lipid profiles, body composition indices, and additional demographic, behavioral, and symptom values can be used ..
- Role of SCD1 and Dietary Methionine Restriction on Energy HomeostasisERIC PAUL PLAISANCE; Fiscal Year: 2011..in mice results in an increase in food intake accompanied by elevations in energy expenditure and reductions in serum triglycerides and adiposity...
- Cellular &Inflammatory Pathways in Ashtma &Allergic Diseases: From IgE to CellsLAWRENCE BARRY SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..containing eosinophilic leukocytes, lymphocytes, and mast cells, increased mucus secretion, and elevated serum IgE levels. Type 2 helper T lymphocytes (Th2) play a critical role in orchestrating allergic airway inflammation...
- REGULATION AND FUNCTION OF STE20-RELATED PROTEIN KINASESMelanie H Cobb; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will also elucidate mechanisms of regulation of the epithelial sodium channel (ENaC) by WNK1. The serum- and glucocorticoid-inducible protein kinase SGK1 phosphorylates the E3 ubiquitin ligase neural precursor cell ..
- METABOLIC SYNDROME AND PERIODONTITIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENMichael J LaMonte; Fiscal Year: 2013..examiners, the well-defined sample of postmenopausal women, DXA measures of body composition, and measured serum biomarkers...
- Iron, Metabolic Regulation and Type 2 Diabetes RiskDonald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..conditions of iron overload such as hereditary hemochromatosis (HH) but even for dietary iron excess resulting in serum ferritin concentrations within the higher ranges of "normal...
- Mechanisms of hepcidin effects in the anemia of chronic diseaseRobert T Means; Fiscal Year: 2013..This disorder typically manifests itself as a hypoproliferative anemia accompanied by a low serum iron concentration despite adequate reticuloendothelial iron stores...
- DNA methylation of extracellular superoxide dismutase in pulmonary hypertensionEVA NOZIK GRAYCK; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 1 will utilize lung and pulmonary artery tissue and serum procured at the time of organ transplantation in patients with IPAH, disease-specific controls with PAH due to ..
- Retinoid Metabolism and Alcohol Induced DiseaseWilliam S Blaner; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hepatic retinoid storage and mobilization are normal in healthy MCK-LpL0 mice since serum and hepatic retinoid levels are not different for these mice compared to matched chow fed wild type (WT) mice...
- Hepcidin-based screening for infantile iron deficiencyMark D Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will evaluate a new test, the serum hepcidin, as a screen for ID in infants...
- Molecular Markers for Progression of Pulmonary Fibrosis in Systemic SclerosisShervin Assassi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The objective of the current proposal is to build multivariate models with gene expression profiling and serum chemokine data that will have greater predictive value for the course of ILD over the currently known parameters...
- Alpha B crystallin as a novel therapeutic for SIRS and SepsisJonathan B Rothbard; Fiscal Year: 2011..reduce in a dose dependent manner serological levels of IL-6, serum amyloid A, and C reactive protein in mice injected with LPS and (ii...
- Pathobiology of Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetes in a Ferret ModelZoe Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will assess the effectiveness of pancreatic CFTR gene replacement in the CFTR-/- ferrets by evaluating serum glucose, insulin, glucagon, endocrine pancreatic function, and pancreatic duct cell physiology...
- Chronic Sleep Restriction Increases Immunity to Autoantigen: Role of the SNSArnold E Postlethwaite; Fiscal Year: 2010..the immune response to CII is enhanced with increased production of interferon3 and other Th1 cytokines, increased serum levels of anti-CII antibodies, decreased CD8+ T cells, increased CD11b+ cells and changes in plasma levels of ..
- Ethanol Regulation of Serum Glucocorticoid Kinase IBLAIR N COSTIN; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Previous microarray studies in the Miles'laboratory have shown that serum and glucocorticoid- regulated kinase 1, Sgk1, is prominently up regulated by acute ethanol (2 g/kg) in the prefrontal ..
- Steroid Responsive Mechanisms in the EarDENNIS ROYAL TRUNE; Fiscal Year: 2012..morphology will be assessed by light and electron microscopy;3) systemic autoimmune disease will be assessed by serum immune complexes, hematocrits, and antinuclear antibodies;4) cochlearspecificautoantibodies ..
- REGULATION OF GENE EXPRESSION BY DIETARY FATLisa M Salati; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, the amount and type of fat in the diet can regulate the levels of serum cholesterol and triglycerides, risk factors for atherosclerosis...
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Density and Veteran Cigarette SmokersArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013..demonstrate that menthol itself inhibits nicotine metabolism, and that menthol cigarette smoking leads to elevated serum levels of nicotine and cotinine, and greater exhaled carbon monoxide levels...
- New insights in mechanisms of renal injuryBalakuntalam S Kasinath; Fiscal Year: 2013..A. Upstream regulators of GSK 3beta. We will explore the role of serum and glucocorticoid-regulated kinase1 (SGK1), p70S6 kinase1 (p70S6k1), and p90rsk as upstream regulators of GSK ..
- Ubiquitous pollutant acrolein inhibits IFN?? antiviral signaling: relevance to HCSwati Joshi-Barve; Fiscal Year: 2013..establish a clinical/translational aspect of our hypothesis by conducting a retrospective analysis using banked serum, urine and/or liver biopsy samples from healthy, uninfected individuals and HCV-infected patients (responders and ..
- Hepatic Steatosis Modulation by Apo B Gene TranscriptionJANET DEHOFF SPARKS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding the mechanism responsible for the action of betaine on apo B and serum lipoproteins could improve therapy by specific intervention by enhancing TG export from the liver...
- Targeting iNOS to inhibit myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) in melanomaANDREW GREGORY SIKORA; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Serum VEGF levels were also suppressed, intratumoral MDSC infiltration reduced, and T cell numbers normalized in tumor-..
- Immune Mechanism of Rejection in Human Lung AllograftsThalachallour Mohanakumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..by ISHLT criterion), 3) reducing the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines (IFN-?, IL-6 and IL-17) in the serum (determined by Luminex), 4) decreasing the frequency of cells secreting pro-inflammatory cytokines (IFN-? and IL-..
- Bisphosphonates in the treatment of chronic kidney disease-mineral bone diseaseSharon M Moe; Fiscal Year: 2013..by treating CKD and normal rats with zoledronic acid at early and late time points and determine the effect of serum measures of mineral homeostasis, bone turnover, architecture and biomechanics, and arterial calcification, aorta ..
- Osteocalcin and Metabolic Risk Factors. The Framingham StudyYi Hsiang Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2011..Thus the underlying hypothesis of this proposal is that there are shared genetic variants that regulate both serum OC and metabolic risk factors (metabolic syndrome risk factor clustering: a combination of risk factors including ..
- Analyzer for Monitoring Personal Environmental Exposure to Fluids and MaterialsMATTHEW CUSACK; Fiscal Year: 2010..The presence of metals is well-known in most neurodegenerative pathologies, such as excess serum copper or brain iron accumulation, which are associated with Wilson's, Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's ..
- A Thioredoxin Mimetic for Radiocontrast NephropathyGARRY JOHN SOUTHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..peroxidation, neutrophil infiltration, apoptosis, necrosis, peroxynitrite and poly(ADP- ribose) formation, and serum concentrations of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin...
- Global regulatory interactions in bacterial pathogenesisBRIAN AKERLEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..ArcA regulates several virulence phenotypes including LOS outer core modification, serum resistance, and resistance to oxidative stress...
- Novel diagnostic and safety biomarkers of liver injury and hepatotoxicityStanislav I Svetlov; Fiscal Year: 2010..Enzymatic assays of serum ALT and AST, widely used as part of a `hepatic function'panel, are neither sensitive nor particularity ..
- Expression of sFlt1 and its function in the glomerular endotheliumChristie P Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Serum from toxemic women stimulates the glomerular endothelial cell (GEC) to release soluble factors such as endothelin-..
- Studying the effects of vitamin D on FOXP3 and IL-17 expression in human CD4+ T cInsoo Kang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Of interest, decreased serum levels of 25(OH)VD3 have been reported in patients with autoimmune diseases including rheumatoid arthritis (RA), ..
- Regulation of Bile Acid Synthesis by Nuclear ReceptorsJohn Y L Chiang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Bile acids are known to reduce serum triglyceride levels and play critical role in maintaining glucose and lipid homeostasis, however, the underlying ..
- Parathyroid Hormone & Vitamin D Effects on Salt Sensitivity and Vascular FunctionANNA LIZA BELEN VALINA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, maintenance of serum calcium concentrations by chronic PTH elevations has known deleterious physiological effects within the ..
- Weight Loss &Exercise Effects on Telomere Length in Postmenopausal WomenANNE M MCTIERNAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..in the trial: DNA damage repair (COMET), sex hormones, insulin &glucose, inflammation (C-reactive protein, serum amyloid A, interleukin-6), insulin like growth factor 1 and binding protein 3, and adipokines (adiponectin, leptin)..
- Thyroid Hormone ActionTHOMAS STERLING SCANLAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Circulating T1AM is tightly bound to a unique serum binding protein which we have recently identified as apoB-100, the major protein component of low density ..
- FOLLOW UP OF THE ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL, BETA-CAROTENE CANCER PREVENTION (ATBC) STUDYJarmo Virtamo; Fiscal Year: 2010..dietary, smoking, and occupational data were obtained, along with physical measurements, a chest x-ray, and serum and toenail samples...
- MR Monitoring of PTC124 Treatment in DMDKRISTA H VANDENBORNE; Fiscal Year: 2010..and outcome measures for clinical trials have been limited to measures of muscle function and quality of life, serum biomarkers of muscle breakdown and invasive muscle biopsies...
- Nitric Oxide in Hemodialysis AV Fistula MaturationRichard A Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2010..for neointimal growth in newly created fistulas, we will evaluate proliferation and migration in response to serum growth factors as well as their inhibition by NO, and compare the responses between cells derived from veins that ..
- Regulation of Hepatic SphK2 by Bile Acids: Effects on Lipid MetabolismHUIPING ROSE ZHOU; Fiscal Year: 2013..sphingosine kinase 2 (SphK2) expression (at both mRNA and protein levels) and enzyme activity and increase serum sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) levels...
- Bioassay for Breast Cancer PreventionJoEllen Welsh; Fiscal Year: 2010..the diets of mice prior to removal of the glands for culture and thus correlation can be made between dietary/serum levels of nutrients and effectiveness in the bioassay...
- Predictors of Pregnancy Outcome in SLE and APSJane E Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2012..in 7 centers, obtained detailed medical and obstetrical information monthly, and serially collected plasma, serum, DNA, RNA, and urine...
- Early Life Conditions, Survival, and Health: A Pedigree-Based Population StudyKen R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..Biomarker measures studied include C-reactive protein, white blood count, albumin, uric acid, creatinine, serum cholesterol, glycosylated hemoglobin, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS &DHEA), fasting glucose and ..
- Predicting Bilirubin-induced Auditory Toxicity in Infants with Severe JaundiceSanjiv B Amin; Fiscal Year: 2010..AAP) guidelines for treatment to prevent bilirubin-induced neurotoxicity are based on measures of total serum bilirubin, but the utility of this indicator lacks evidence: it has high sensitivity but low specificity for ..
- CFI Inactivation of Human PlasmaTREVOR CASTOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..inactivation) process inactivates enveloped viruses such as MuLV, VSV, TGE, BVD, Sindbis and HIV in fetal bovine serum by a lipid solubilization mechanism, similar to the solvent detergent method...
- Biomarker for liver ischemia/reperfusion-induced injuryMONIKA OLI; Fiscal Year: 2006..Current enzymatic assays of serum ALT or LDH are either non-specific or not sensitive enough to detect early stages of liver damage, assess ..
- Point-of Care System for Determination of Bilirubin Capacity in NeonatesGLEN D RAMSAY; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Human serum albumin is capable of binding bilirubin with high affinity, thus sequestering it and mitigat- ing its harmful neurological effects in jaundiced newborns...
- Saliva and Serum Inflammatory Biomarkers in Periodontitis: A Study in Older WomenJean Wactawski Wende; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this proposed study is to measure a series of inflammatory biomarkers in saliva and serum to examine to what extent non-invasive salivary biomarkers can be used to characterize those same biomarkers ..
- Virus Electrodes for Fungal Pathogen DetectionGary Fujii; Fiscal Year: 2009..I SBIR AT application are aimed at demonstrating the ability of the viratrode to rapidly test a sample of blood, serum, urine or bronchoalveolar lavage fluid for the presence of an Aspergillus specific marker...
- Proteomic signatures of an early life asthma-protective exposureSerrine S Lau; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our specific aim is to identify and characterize proteomic signatures of early life dog exposure in the plasma or serum of children who have or have not been exposed to dogs in early life, and who were or were not diagnosed with ..
- Risk factors for encephalopathy in newborns with severe hyperbilirubinemiaRICHARD PARTRIDGE WENNBERG; Fiscal Year: 2010The American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines for intervention in patients with hyperbilirubinemia (total serum bilirubin concentration [TSB] modified by clinical factors) are based on sparse published clinical evidence and do not ..
- Long Term Outcomes in ICU Patients: Delirium & Apolipoprotein ESheila Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2009..A secondary goal of the proposed study is to explore the potential relationship between APOE 4 allele presence, serum apolipoprotein E protein levels, serum cytokine levels (IL-1, IL-6, IL-8 and IL-10) and development and duration ..
- Neuropsychological & Thyroid Effects of Perfluorinated Compounds in Older AdultsEdward Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2009..Remaining serum was archived and analyzed in 2005-06 for PBDEs, DLCs, and thyroid hormones...
- Serum IGFs--Effects of a Soy Intervention in HumansJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2002..This reduces IGF-I activity, but also increases its half-life in blood. In observational studies, high serum IGF-I, low serum IGFBP-3, or a high molar ratio of IGF-I relative to IGFBP-3 are associated with increased risk of ..
- Supplemental Vitamin D and Functional Outcomes in Early AdolescenceRichard D Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2010..that a significant number of children, particularly those with darker skin pigmentation, have inadequate levels of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D]...
- Fatty Acid Synthase Inhibitors: Ovarian Cancer TherapyALBERT OWENS; Fiscal Year: 2007..enroll women with recurrent disease that have failed initial therapy and overexpresses FAS, as detected by the serum FAS assay. Serum CA-125 and serum FAS will be added to the usual disease monitors and measures of progression...
- PROTEOMICS AND HEPATITIS C: FIBROSIS AND PROGNOSISGlenn Gourley; Fiscal Year: 2005..central hypothesis of this proposal is that proteomic techniques can be used to establish a relationship between serum proteins and hepatic fibrosis that will allow determination of hepatic fibrosis without a liver biopsy in patients ..
- Anti-GM1b IgM for Detection of Localized Prostate CancerMepur Ravindranath; Fiscal Year: 2005..Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is widely used for diagnosing and monitoring CaP. However, serum PSA level does not increase significantly until tumor volume exceeds 1cc, and it is inversely related to a tumor's ..
- TISSUE AND SERUM INDICATORS OF LUNG CANCER RECURRENCEDavid Harpole; Fiscal Year: 2000..Thr purpose of this project is to define tissue and serum tumor markers in patients with stage I NSCLC which predict for early cancer recurrence...
- The New England Family Study: Fifty Year Post-Perinatal Follow-Up for Life CourseERIC contact LOUCKS; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. intrauterine growth restriction, maternal serum cortisol levels, maternal smoking and socioeconomic adversity) with epigenetic processes (often measured as DNA ..
- Gene Delivery of P53 in a Tumor-bearing Mouse ModelARCHIBALD MIXSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..polymers that in combination with liposomes significantly increased transfection in the presence or absence of serum. To test the overall hypothesis that further understanding of HK enhancement of transfection will facilitate the ..
- Mouse Models to Characterize the Role of Lrp6 in Metabolic SyndromeBart O Williams; Fiscal Year: 2010..developed CVD at a very early age due to metabolic syndrome (a constellation of symptoms which includes high serum levels of LDL and triglycerides, hypertension, and diabetes)...
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy in Advanced Chronic Kidney DiseaseRalph Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2009..In 2/3 of males with advanced CKD, serum testosterone (TT) levels are reduced and likely contribute to the wasting...