Genomes and Genes
Summary: The clear, viscous fluid secreted by the SYNOVIAL MEMBRANE. It contains mucin, albumin, fat, and mineral salts and serves to lubricate joints.
Publications378 found, 100 shown here
- IL-17 in synovial fluids from patients with rheumatoid arthritis is a potent stimulator of osteoclastogenesisS Kotake
The Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo 162 0054, Japan
J Clin Invest 103:1345-52. 1999....
- Platelets amplify inflammation in arthritis via collagen-dependent microparticle productionEric Boilard
Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 327:580-3. 2010..Thus, these findings demonstrate a previously unappreciated role for platelets and their activation-induced microparticles in inflammatory joint diseases...
- Plasma and synovial fluid microRNAs as potential biomarkers of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritisKoichi Murata
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, 54 Kawahara cho, Shogoin, Sakyo, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R86. 2010..In this study, we investigated whether miRNAs are also stably present in synovial fluids and whether plasma and synovial fluid miRNAs could be biomarkers of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA).
- Human mesenchymal stem cells in synovial fluid increase in the knee with degenerated cartilage and osteoarthritisIchiro Sekiya
Section of Cartilage Regeneration, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Orthop Res 30:943-9. 2012We investigated whether mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in synovial fluid (SF) increased in the knee with degenerated cartilage and osteoarthritis...
- Interleukin-17-positive mast cells contribute to synovial inflammation in spondylarthritisTroy Noordenbos
Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 64:99-109. 2012..Recent observations have indicated a marked synovial mast cell infiltration in psoriatic SpA. We therefore undertook the present study to investigate the potential contribution of mast cells to synovial inflammation in SpA...
- Proteomic analysis of synovial fluid from the osteoarthritic knee: comparison with transcriptome analyses of joint tissuesSusan Y Ritter
Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Arthritis Rheum 65:981-92. 2013The pathophysiology of the most common joint disease, osteoarthritis (OA), remains poorly understood. Since synovial fluid (SF) bathes joint cartilage and synovium, we reasoned that a comparative analysis of its protein constituents in ..
- Cartilage glycosaminoglycan loss in the acute phase after an anterior cruciate ligament injury: delayed gadolinium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of cartilage and synovial fluid analysisCarl Johan Tiderius
Departmrnt of Orthopedics, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 52:120-7. 2005To examine the glycosaminoglycan (GAG) content in cartilage and that in synovial fluid and determine whether they are associated, in patients with an acute anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury.
- Local cytokine profiles in knee osteoarthritis: elevated synovial fluid interleukin-15 differentiates early from end-stage diseaseC R Scanzello
Rush University Medical Center, Section of Rheumatology, 1725 W Harrison Street, Suite 1017, Chicago, IL 60612, United States
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:1040-8. 2009....
- Adipocytokines in synovial fluidAndreas Schaffler
JAMA 290:1709-10. 2003
- Plasma proteins present in osteoarthritic synovial fluid can stimulate cytokine production via Toll-like receptor 4Dong Hyun Sohn
GRECC, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, 3801 Miranda Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 14:R7. 2012..How the synovial inflammation arises is unclear, but proteins in the synovial fluid of affected joints could conceivably contribute...
- Leptin enhances MMP-1, MMP-3 and MMP-13 production in human osteoarthritic cartilage and correlates with MMP-1 and MMP-3 in synovial fluid from OA patientsAnna Koskinen
The Immunopharmacology Research Group, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Clin Exp Rheumatol 29:57-64. 2011..In addition, the correlations between leptin and MMP concentrations in synovial fluid from OA patients were studied.
- Enumeration and phenotypic characterization of synovial fluid multipotential mesenchymal progenitor cells in inflammatory and degenerative arthritisElena A Jones
University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 50:817-27. 2004To evaluate synovial fluid (SF) for the presence of mesenchymal progenitor cells (MPCs), to compare SF MPCs with bone marrow (BM) MPCs, and to enumerate these cells in both inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis (OA).
- Lymphocytes and synovial fluid fibroblasts support osteoclastogenesis through RANKL, TNFalpha, and IL-7 in an in vitro model derived from human psoriatic arthritisS Colucci
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, University of Bari, Italy
J Pathol 212:47-55. 2007..models, consisting of unfractionated and T-cell-depleted mononuclear cells from peripheral blood (PBMCs) and synovial fluid (SFMCs) of 20 PsA patients as well as from healthy donors were studied...
- Correlation of plasma and synovial fluid adiponectin with knee osteoarthritis severitySittisak Honsawek
Department of Biochemistry, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Arch Med Res 41:593-8. 2010..The purposes of this study were to measure adiponectin concentrations in plasma and synovial fluid of patients with knee OA and to analyze the correlation of adiponectin levels with disease severity.
- Synovial fluid mesenchymal stem cells in health and early osteoarthritis: detection and functional evaluation at the single-cell levelElena A Jones
University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Arthritis Rheum 58:1731-40. 2008Arthritic synovial fluid (SF) contains mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), which could simply reflect their shedding from diseased joint structures...
- Synovial fluid leukocyte count and differential for the diagnosis of prosthetic knee infectionAndrej Trampuz
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Med 117:556-62. 2004Criteria for the interpretation of synovial fluid are well established for native joint disorders but lacking for the evaluation of prosthetic joint failure...
- Resistin in rheumatoid arthritis synovial tissue, synovial fluid and serumL Senolt
Institute of Rheumatology, 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University, Na Slupi 4, 12850 Prague 2, Czech Republic, and University Hospital Giessen, Department of Internal Medicine and Rheumatology, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 66:458-63. 2007..Resistin is a newly identified adipocytokine which has demonstrated links between obesity and insulin resistance in rodents. In humans, proinflammatory properties of resistin are superior to its insulin resistance-inducing effects...
- Inflammatory arthritis in caspase 1 gene-deficient mice: contribution of proteinase 3 to caspase 1-independent production of bioactive interleukin-1betaLeo A B Joosten
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 60:3651-62. 2009..This study was undertaken to establish the relative importance of caspase 1 and serine proteases in mouse models of acute and chronic inflammatory arthritis...
- Glycan profiling of anti-citrullinated protein antibodies isolated from human serum and synovial fluidHans U Scherer
Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 62:1620-9. 2010..We undertook this study to analyze Fc glycosylation of IgG1 ACPA in serum and synovial fluid (SF) in order to further characterize the immune response to citrullinated antigens.
- Changes in serum and synovial fluid biomarkers after acute injury (NCT00332254)Jonathan B Catterall
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Duke University, Genome Science Research Building I, 905 South LaSalle Street, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R229. 2010..In this study, to better understand the early biological changes which occur after acute injury, we investigated synovial fluid and serum biomarkers.
- Association of citrullinated proteins with synovial exosomesK Skriner
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 54:3809-14. 2006..The aim of this study was to identify the nature of synovial exosomes from patients with different rheumatic diseases and to examine their potential autoantigenic content, which may be involved in the induction of an autoimmune response...
- High abundance synovial fluid proteome: distinct profiles in health and osteoarthritisReuben Gobezie
The Case Center for Proteomics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 9:R36. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine protein expression profiles of high-abundance synovial fluid (SF) proteins in health and in the prevalent joint disease osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Cell-surface expression and immune receptor recognition of HLA-B27 homodimersSimon Kollnberger
Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Arthritis Rheum 46:2972-82. 2002..We undertook this study to ascertain if patients with spondylarthritis express beta(2)-microglobulin-free HLA-B27 heavy chains in the form of homodimers and receptors for HLA-B27 homodimers...
- Time required for disappearance of urate crystals from synovial fluid after successful hypouricaemic treatment relates to the duration of goutEliseo Pascual
Catedrático de Medicina Reumatología, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Maestro Alonso 109, 03010 Alicante, Spain
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1056-8. 2007..To determine whether hypouricaemic treatment results in the disappearance of urate crystals from gouty joints and to define the time required...
- Identification of novel autoantigen in the synovial fluid of rheumatoid arthritis patients using an immunoproteomics approachSagarika Biswas
Department of Genomics and Molecular Medicine, Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, New Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 8:e56246. 2013..b>Synovial fluid samples from clinically diagnosed RA patients were separated on two-dimensional gel electrophoresis (2-DE)...
- Synovial fluid CD34⁻ CD44⁺ CD90⁺ mesenchymal stem cell levels are associated with the severity of primary knee osteoarthritisD H Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 20:106-9. 2012To the best of our knowledge, no reports have directly compared synovial fluid (SF)- and synovial membrane (SM)-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) from primary knee osteoarthritis patients in terms of MSC proportion, either immediately ..
- Associations between proinflammatory cytokines in the synovial fluid and radiographic grading and pain-related scores in 47 consecutive patients with osteoarthritis of the kneeSumihisa Orita
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chiba Rosai Hospital, Chiba, Japan
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:144. 2011..In the present study, correlations between proinflammatory cytokines in knee synovial fluid and radiographic changes and functional scores and pain scores among OA patients were examined.
- Synovial fluid CD146 (MUC18), a marker for synovial membrane angiogenesis in rheumatoid arthritisM Neidhart
Center for Experimental Rheumatology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 42:622-30. 1999..We measured the synovial fluid levels of soluble CD146 in various human joint diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Synoviocyte infection with adeno-associated virus (AAV) is neutralized by human synovial fluid from arthritis patients and depends on AAV serotypeM C Boissier
INSERM, ERI 18, F 93017 Bobigny, France
Hum Gene Ther 18:525-35. 2007..To better understand critical obstacles to intraarticular gene therapy with AAV, we have previously shown that synovial fluid (SF) contains IgG to AAV that neutralizes chondrocyte infection in vitro...
- Diminished cartilage-lubricating ability of human osteoarthritic synovial fluid deficient in proteoglycan 4: Restoration through proteoglycan 4 supplementationTaryn E Ludwig
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 64:3963-71. 2012The purposes of this study were 1) to quantify the proteoglycan 4 (PRG4) and hyaluronan (HA) content in synovial fluid (SF) from normal donors and from patients with chronic osteoarthritis (OA) and 2) to assess the cartilage boundary-..
- IL-17 contributes to angiogenesis in rheumatoid arthritisSarah R Pickens
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Immunol 184:3233-41. 2010..RA synovial fluids or IL-17 receptor C on HMVECs significantly reduces the induction of HMVEC migration by RA synovial fluid. Finally, RA synovial fluid immunoneutralized with anti-IL-17 and antivascular endothelial growth factor does ..
- Functional characterization of adherent synovial fluid cells in rheumatoid arthritis: destructive potential in vitro and in vivoMichel Neidhart
University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 48:1873-80. 2003To characterize the morphologic and immunologic features of adherent synovial fluid cells derived from patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and to explore their potential function in vitro and in vivo by focusing on cartilage ..
- Modulation of STAT-3 in rheumatoid synovial T cells suppresses Th17 differentiation and increases the proportion of Treg cellsJi Hyeon Ju
Seoul St Mary s Hospital, Republic of Korea
Arthritis Rheum 64:3543-52. 2012..To investigate the impact of STAT-3-mediated regulation on Th17 differentiation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Synovial fluid dynamics with small disc perforation in temporomandibular jointY Xu
Department of Orthodontics, Guanghua School of Stomatology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
J Oral Rehabil 39:719-26. 2012..The flow of synovial fluid in the TMJ may follow a regular pattern during movement of the jaw...
- Platelets: active players in the pathogenesis of arthritis and SLEEric Boilard
Centre de Recherche en Rhumatologie et Immunologie, Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec, faculté de médecine de l université Laval, Quebec, Room T1 49, 2705 Laurier Boulevard, QC G1V 4G2, Canada eric boilard crchuq ulaval ca
Nat Rev Rheumatol 8:534-42. 2012..These findings point to a distinct role for platelets in autoimmunity and support the possibility that platelets are an attractive target in rheumatic disease...
- Thrombin-cleaved osteopontin levels in synovial fluid correlate with disease severity of knee osteoarthritisMasahiro Hasegawa
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mie University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu City, Mie 514 8507, Japan
J Rheumatol 38:129-34. 2011..Presence of the thrombin-cleaved form of OPN is well correlated with various inflammatory diseases. We examined whether thrombin-cleaved OPN in synovial fluid (SF) and synovium could be associated with the severity of knee OA.
- Lubrication at physiological pressures by polyzwitterionic brushesMeng Chen
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Laboratory, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QZ, UK
Science 323:1698-701. 2009....
- Identification of a cytokine network sustaining neutrophil and Th17 activation in untreated early rheumatoid arthritisRita Cascão
Rheumatology Research Unit, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Edificio Egas Moniz, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa, Av Professor Egas Moniz, Lisboa 1649 028, Portugal
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R196. 2010..The main goal of this work was to determine whether cytokines driving neutrophil and Th17 activation are dysregulated in very early rheumatoid arthritis patients with less than 6 weeks of disease duration and before treatment (VERA)...
- Serum amyloid A-induced IL-6 production by rheumatoid synoviocytesTomohiro Koga
Clinical Research Center and Department of Rheumatology, NHO Nagasaki Medical Center, Omura, Japan
FEBS Lett 582:579-85. 2008..Our findings demonstrate that SAA is a significant inducer of IL-6, which is critically involved in RA pathogenesis...
- Synovial microparticles from arthritic patients modulate chemokine and cytokine release by synoviocytesRené J Berckmans
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Res Ther 7:R536-44. 2005b>Synovial fluid from patients with various arthritides contains procoagulant, cell-derived microparticles...
- Evidence for a protective role for adiponectin in osteoarthritisTsu Hsin Chen
Department of Orthopedics Surgery, Shin Kong WHS Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1762:711-8. 2006..We demonstrated that adiponectin was present in OA synovial fluid (SF) and its expression level was almost 100-fold decrease compared with that in OA plasma...
- The chemokine receptors CXCR3 and CCR5 mark subsets of T cells associated with certain inflammatory reactionsS Qin
LeukoSite, Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
J Clin Invest 101:746-54. 1998..Immunostaining of T cells in rheumatoid arthritis synovial fluid confirmed that virtually all such T cells expressed CXCR3 and approximately 80% expressed CCR5, representing ..
- Expression and activity of citrullinating peptidylarginine deiminase enzymes in monocytes and macrophagesE R Vossenaar
Department of Biochemistry, University of Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 63:373-81. 2004..Peptidylcitrulline can be generated by post-translational conversion of arginine residues. This process, citrullination, is catalysed by a group of calcium dependent peptidylarginine deiminase (PAD) enzymes...
- Expression levels and association of gelatinases MMP-2 and MMP-9 and collagenases MMP-1 and MMP-13 with VEGF in synovial fluid of patients with arthritisKyoung Soo Kim
East West Bone and Joint Research Institute, East West Neo Medical Center, Kyung Hee University, 149 Sangil dong, Gangdong gu, Seoul 134 727, Republic of Korea
Rheumatol Int 31:543-7. 2011..Our results indirectly suggest that in RA and OA, MMP-9 and MMP-13 may play a more important role in angiogenesis than MMP-2 and MMP-1...
- Studies on YKL-40 in knee joints of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Involvement of YKL-40 in the joint pathologyB Volck
Department of Rheumatology, Hvidovre Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9:203-14. 2001The presence of YKL-40 (human cartilage glycoprotein 39) in synovium, cartilage and synovial fluid (SF) from knee joints of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis (OA) were related to histopathological changes in synovium ..
- Altered expression of MicroRNA in synovial fibroblasts and synovial tissue in rheumatoid arthritisJoanna Stanczyk
Center of Experimental Rheumatology, University Hospital Zurich, and Zurich Center of Integrative Human Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 58:1001-9. 2008..In this study we investigated the expression, regulation, and function of miR-155 and miR-146a in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) synovial fibroblasts (RASFs) and RA synovial tissue...
- A key role for G-CSF-induced neutrophil production and trafficking during inflammatory arthritisJo L Eyles
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Blood 112:5193-201. 2008....
- Synovial fluid proteomic fingerprint: S100A8, S100A9 and S100A12 proteins discriminate rheumatoid arthritis from other inflammatory joint diseasesAthan Baillet
GREPI CNRS UMR 5525, Grenoble University, Grenoble, France
Rheumatology (Oxford) 49:671-82. 2010..We investigated SF and serum proteomic fingerprints of patients suffering from RA, OA and other miscellaneous inflammatory arthritides (MIAs) in order to identify RA-specific biomarkers...
- The secreted glycoprotein lubricin protects cartilage surfaces and inhibits synovial cell overgrowthDavid K Rhee
Department of Genetics, Center for Human Genetics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Clin Invest 115:622-31. 2005..We conclude that lubricin has multiple functions in articulating joints and tendons that include the protection of surfaces and the control of synovial cell growth...
- Fractalkine: a novel angiogenic chemokine in rheumatoid arthritisM V Volin
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Pathol 159:1521-30. 2001..05). We identified HMVEC expression of the fkn receptor, CX(3)CR1. Next, we determined if RA synovial fluid (SF)-induced angiogenesis was fkn-dependent...
- Changes in synovial fluid and serum biomarkers with exercise and early osteoarthritis in horsesD D Frisbie
Orthopaedic Research Center, Colorado State University, 300 West Drake, Fort Collins, CO 80523, United States
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 16:1196-204. 2008..To discriminate between changes in biomarkers with exercise compared to changes in biomarkers with osteoarthritis (OA) in exercising horses...
- Increased levels of interleukin 33 in sera and synovial fluid from patients with active rheumatoid arthritisYasushi Matsuyama
Division of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology and Department of Biochemistry, Jichi Medical University, Tochigi, Japan
J Rheumatol 37:18-25. 2010To determine levels of interleukin 33 (IL-33) in serum and synovial fluid (SF) and their clinical associations in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Evidence for a cross-talk between human neutrophils and Th17 cellsMartin Pelletier
Department of Pathology, Section of General Pathology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Blood 115:335-43. 2010..with this reciprocal recruitment, neutrophils and Th17 cells were found in gut tissue from Crohn disease and synovial fluid from rheumatoid arthritis patients...
- Expression of IL-17 homologs and their receptors in the synovial cells of rheumatoid arthritis patientsSue Yun Hwang
Graduate School of Biology and Information Technology, Institute of Genetic Engineering, Hankyong National University, Ansung 456 749, Korea
Mol Cells 19:180-4. 2005..We examined the expression of the prototypic IL-17 (IL-17A) and its homologs, IL-17B-F, by RT-PCR analyses of synovial fluid mononuclear cells (SFMCs) and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from RA patients...
- Metal-on-metal hip resurfacing arthroplasty: a review of periprosthetic biological reactionsGuillaume Mabilleau
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Institute of Musculoskeletal Science, Botnar Research Centre, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Acta Orthop 79:734-47. 2008..The purpose of this review is to provide an overview of the current literature on the adverse periprosthetic biological reactions associated with metal-on-metal hip resurfacing arthroplasty...
- CD14 is an acute-phase proteinSylvette Bas
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Immunol 172:4470-9. 2004..protein (APP), the levels of sCD14, IL-6, and C-reactive protein were determined by ELISA in serum and synovial fluid (SF) of patients with various arthropathies, and the regulation of CD14 synthesis was examined in liver cells...
- Improved multiplex immunoassay performance in human plasma and synovial fluid following removal of interfering heterophilic antibodiesWilco de Jager
Department of Pediatric Immunology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Immunol Methods 300:124-35. 2005..immunoassay (MIA) for the detection of 30 proteins in a variety of human body fluids such as plasma and synovial fluid (SF)...
- TH-17 cells in rheumatoid arthritisShiva Shahrara
Department of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University 240 E Huron, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 10:R93. 2008The aim of this study was to quantify the number of T-helper (TH)-17 cells present in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) synovial fluid (SF) and to determine the level of interleukin (IL)-17 cytokine in RA, osteoarthritis (OA) and normal synovial ..
- In vivo activated monocytes from the site of inflammation in humans specifically promote Th17 responsesHayley G Evans
Department of Immunobiology, King s College London School of Medicine at Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospitals, London SE1 1UL, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:6232-7. 2009..Our data also suggest that different pathways may be utilized for the generation of Th17 responses in situ depending on the site or route of accessory cell activation...
- Clinical, biochemical, and histologic effects of intra-articular administration of autologous conditioned serum in horses with experimentally induced osteoarthritisDavid D Frisbie
Equine Orthopaedic Research Center, Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Am J Vet Res 68:290-6. 2007..To assess the clinical, biochemical, and histologic effects of intra-articular administration of autologous conditioned serum (ACS) in the treatment of experimentally induced osteoarthritis in horses...
- Rheological properties of synovial fluidsH Fam
Human Mobility Research Centre, Queen s University, Kingston General Hospital, Kingston, ON, Canada
Biorheology 44:59-74. 2007b>Synovial fluid is the joint lubricant and shock absorber [Semin. Arthritis Rheum. 32 (2002), 10-37] as well as the source of nutrition for articular cartilage...
- Antibodies to several citrullinated antigens are enriched in the joints of rheumatoid arthritis patientsOmri Snir
Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet at Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 62:44-52. 2010..ACPAs) are frequently present in the serum of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients, but their presence in synovial fluid is less well characterized...
- In situ complement activation by polyethylene wear debrisD H DeHeer
Grand Rapids Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program, 1840 Wealthy Street SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49506, USA
J Biomed Mater Res 54:12-9. 2001..Complement, an effector system in plasma, synovial fluid, and tissue, has powerful chemotactic, inflammatory, and osteoclast-activating potentials...
- Immune response against gene therapy vectors: influence of synovial fluid on adeno-associated virus mediated gene transfer to chondrocytesVirginie Cottard
UPRES EA 3408, Léonard de Vinci Medical School and Department of Rheumatology, Avicenne Teaching Hospital, Bobigny, AP HP, University of Paris 13, France
J Clin Immunol 24:162-9. 2004..immunity against AAV vectors) to intraarticular gene therapy better, our objective was to determine whether synovial fluid (SF) influenced AAV-mediated gene transfer to chondrocytes...
- Rheumatoid synovial fluid interleukin-17-producing CD4 T cells have abundant tumor necrosis factor-alpha co-expression, but little interleukin-22 and interleukin-23R expressionLeigh D Church
Rheumatology Research Group, MRC Centre for Immune Regulation, Institute for Biomedical Research, School of Immunity and Infection, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Arthritis Res Ther 12:R184. 2010..of interleukin-17 (IL-17) producing CD4-positive T cells in mononuclear cells isolated from peripheral blood, synovial fluid and synovial tissue of RA patients with established disease, and to correlate cell frequencies with disease ..
- A lipidomic study of phospholipid classes and species in human synovial fluidMarta Krystyna Kosinska
Justus Liebig University of Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 65:2323-33. 2013Membrane phospholipid species contribute to boundary lubrication that is provided by synovial fluid (SF). Altered levels of lubricants can be associated with increased friction, leading to articular cartilage damage...
- Extracellular mitochondrial DNA and oxidatively damaged DNA in synovial fluid of patients with rheumatoid arthritisShahin Hajizadeh
Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden
Arthritis Res Ther 5:R234-40. 2003We investigated whether plasma and synovial fluid (SF) samples from patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) contained extracellular mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) or the oxidatively damaged DNA adduct 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxodG)...
- Pluripotency of mesenchymal cells derived from synovial fluid in patients with temporomandibular joint disorderNoriaki Koyama
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Life Sci 89:741-7. 2011..The present study aimed at characterizing the phenotype and differentiation potential of adherent synovial fluid-derived cells from temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder patients.
- Characterization and comparison of shear and extensional flow of sodium hyaluronate and human synovial fluidA Ö Bingöl
Institute of Technical and Macromolecular Chemistry, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Biorheology 47:205-24. 2010..7 × 10⁶ g/mol) and from rooster comb (NaHA-2, Mw = 4.6 × 10⁶ g/mol) with synovial fluid (SF) taken post mortem from different patients above 60 years...
- Effects of intra-articular sodium pentosan polysulfate and glucosamine on the cytology, total protein concentration and viscosity of synovial fluid in horsesC Kwan
Research and Clinical Training Unit, University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, University of Sydney, Camden, NSW, Australia
Aust Vet J 90:315-20. 2012Evaluate synovial fluid cytology, total protein concentration and viscosity after intra-articular administration of combined pentosan polysulfate and glucosamine in horses.
- Synovial fluid metabolomics in different forms of arthritis assessed by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopyThomas Hügle
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Clin Exp Rheumatol 30:240-5. 2012Currently there are no reliable biomarkers in the synovial fluid available to differentiate between septic and non-septic arthritis or to predict the prognosis of osteoarthritis, respectively...
- The contents of macromolecule solutes in flexor tendon sheath fluid and their relation to synovial fluid. A quantitative analysisL Hagberg
Department of Hand Surgery, , Sweden
J Hand Surg Br 17:167-71. 1992..These results indicate that flexor tendon sheath fluid has a character similar to synovial fluid of joints and apparently has specific functions such as soft tissue lubrication and nutrition of avascular ..
- Human knee synovial fluid cytokines correlated with grade of knee osteoarthritis--a pilot studyC Thomas Vangsness
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1520 San Pablo Street, LosAngeles, CA 90033, USA
Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 69:122-7. 2011The purpose of this pilot study was to evaluate the cytokine profile of human knee synovial fluid and correlate this with the subject's degree of articular cartilage degradation, radiographic score, and synovial histology.
- Local expression of acute phase serum amyloid A mRNA in rheumatoid arthritis synovial tissue and cellsY Kumon
2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Kochi Medical School, Japan
J Rheumatol 26:785-90. 1999Serum amyloid A (SAA) protein, a bioactive protein produced during inflammation, is present in synovial fluid (SF) of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- The association between changes in synovial fluid levels of ARGS-aggrecan fragments, progression of radiographic osteoarthritis and self-reported outcomes: a cohort studyS Larsson
Department of Orthopaedics, Clinical Sciences Lund, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 20:388-95. 2012To investigate whether change in concentrations over time of aggrecanase generated ARGS-aggrecan in synovial fluid (SF ARGS) associates with progression of radiographic knee osteoarthritis (OA) and patient-reported outcome in subjects ..
- The synovial fluid adiponectin-leptin ratio predicts pain with knee osteoarthritisRajiv Gandhi
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, 399 Bathurst Street, East Wing 1 439, Toronto, ON, M5T 2S8, Canada
Clin Rheumatol 29:1223-8. 2010..Form McGill Pain scores, Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Arthritis Index (WOMAC) pain scores, and synovial fluid (SF) samples from 60 consecutive patients with severe knee OA at the time of joint replacement surgery...
- FOXP3 expression in blood, synovial fluid and synovial tissue during inflammatory arthritis and intra-articular corticosteroid treatmentS Raghavan
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine at Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Karolinska Institute, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 68:1908-15. 2009To analyse the distribution of FOXP3+CD25+CD4+ regulatory T cells (Treg) in peripheral blood, synovial fluid and tissue of patients with rheumatic disease during relapse and after local treatment.
- Interleukin 13 in synovial fluid and serum of patients with psoriatic arthritisA Spadaro
Department of Medical Therapy, Rheumatology Unit, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 61:174-6. 2002To compare the pattern of interleukin (IL) 13 production in synovial fluid (SF) and serum of patients with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) with that in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA), investigating its relation ..
- Disease-specific proteins from rheumatoid arthritis patientsChoong Won Kim
Department of Biochemistry and RINS, College of Medicine and Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 21:478-84. 2006..Also, expression of peroxiredoxin 2 was up-regulated in RA. On the contrary, expression of vimentin was severely suppressed in RA synoviocytes. Such findings might give some insights into understanding of pathological mechanism in RA...
- IL-17 receptor and its functional significance in psoriatic arthritisSiba P Raychaudhuri
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, University of California Davis School of Medicine and VA Medical Center Sacramento, 1911 Geneva Place, Davis, CA 95618, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 359:419-29. 2012..Mononuclear cells from blood and synovial fluid (SF) were obtained from PsA (n=20), rheumatoid arthritis (RA, n=20) and osteoarthritis (OA, n=20) patients...
- Dickkopf-1 is a master regulator of joint remodelingDanielle Diarra
Department of Internal Medicine 3 and Institute for Clinical Immunology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Krankenhausstrasse 12, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Nat Med 13:156-63. 2007..We identified tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF) as a key inducer of DKK-1 in the mouse inflammatory arthritis model and in human rheumatoid arthritis. These results suggest that the Wnt pathway is a key regulator of joint remodeling...
- Interleukin (IL)-23 p19 expression induced by IL-1beta in human fibroblast-like synoviocytes with rheumatoid arthritis via active nuclear factor-kappaB and AP-1 dependent pathwayF L Liu
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:1266-73. 2007....
- Serum and synovial fluid levels of interleukin-17 in correlation with disease activity in patients with RASiham Ali Metawi
Rheumatology and Rehabilitation, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
Clin Rheumatol 30:1201-7. 2011..This may highlight the usefulness of IL-17 (especially serum level) as a possible marker for more aggressive joint involvement and damage...
- Temporomandibular joint pain: relationship to internal derangement type, osteoarthrosis, and synovial fluid mediator level of tumor necrosis factor-alphaR Emshoff
University of Innsbruck, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 90:442-9. 2000..pain classified as capsulitis/synovitis may be linked to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings of internal derangement, osteoarthrosis, or the synovial fluid aspirate findings of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) level.
- Natural killer-22 cells in the synovial fluid of patients with rheumatoid arthritis are an innate source of interleukin 22 and tumor necrosis factor-αJie Ren
Department of Rheumatology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510515, People s Republic of China
J Rheumatol 38:2112-8. 2011..To determine the role of natural killer (NK)-22 cells in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Selective elimination of pathogenic synovial fluid T-cells from rheumatoid arthritis and juvenile idiopathic arthritis by targeted activation of Fas-apoptotic signalingEdwin Bremer
Department of Surgery, Surgical Research Laboratory, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Immunol Lett 138:161-8. 2011..designated scFvCD7:sFasL, proved to be the most potent, with significant pro-apoptotic activity towards synovial fluid T-cells in all patient samples tested (RA; n=22: JIA; n=6)...
- Effects of nimesulide on pain and on synovial fluid concentrations of substance P, interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 in patients with knee osteoarthritis: comparison with celecoxibM Bianchi
Department of Pharmacology, University of Milan, Milan, and Unit of Rheumatology, A O Ospedale di Circolo e Fondazione Macchi, Varese, Italy
Int J Clin Pract 61:1270-7. 2007..In patients with joint effusion, the effects of these non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) on synovial fluid concentrations of substance P (SP), interleukin (IL)-6 and IL-8 also were evaluated.
- Mass spectrometric proteome analyses of synovial fluids and plasmas from patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and comparison to reactive arthritis or osteoarthritisAndrea Sinz
Proteome Center Rostock, Medical Faculty, University of Rostock, Germany
Electrophoresis 23:3445-56. 2002....
- Correlation between synovial fluid and serum IL-1beta levels after ACL surgery-preliminary reportNikica Darabos
Department of General Surgery and Traumatology, General Hospital Varazdin, Varazdin, Croatia
Int Orthop 33:413-8. 2009The possibility of controlling the harmful intra-articular influence of elevated interleukin (IL)-1beta synovial fluid concentration after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) surgery could be useful...
- The redox states of serum and synovial fluid of patients with temporomandibular joint disordersMihoko Tomida
Department of Physiology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 162 8666 Japan
Jpn J Physiol 53:351-5. 2003The redox states of albumin in serum and synovial fluid (SF) were analyzed in 35 female patients with temporomandibular joint disorders and 9 asymptomatic female healthy volunteers by high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) ..
- Biochemical markers in the synovial fluid of glenohumeral joints from patients with rotator cuff tearY Yoshihara
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan
J Orthop Res 19:573-9. 2001..Our purpose was to elucidate the pathology with this condition. Thirty-two synovial fluid (SF) samples aspirated from the glenohumeral joints of patients with rotator cuff tears, including 7 with ..
- Effect of interleukin-32gamma on differentiation of osteoclasts from CD14+ monocytesYong Gil Kim
University of Ulsan, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Arthritis Rheum 62:515-23. 2010..This study was undertaken to evaluate the effects of IL-32gamma, the most biologically active isoform, on the differentiation and activation of osteoclasts...
- Chemerin induces CCL2 and TLR4 in synovial fibroblasts of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritisKristina Eisinger
Department of Internal Medicine I, Regensburg University Hospital, D 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Exp Mol Pathol 92:90-6. 2012..Here, we analyzed whether synovial fibroblasts express chemerin and its receptor CMKLR1. Further, the role of chemerin in synovial fibroblast chemotaxis, proliferation, insulin response and release of inflammatory proteins was studied...
- Synovial fluid cytokines and eicosanoids as markers of joint disease in horsesA L Bertone
Orthopedic Research Laboratory, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210-1089, USA
Vet Surg 30:528-38. 2001OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the value of various synovial fluid cytokines and eicosanoids to diagnose joint disease or categories of joint disease. STUDY DESIGN: Prospective acquisition of clinicopathologic data...
- Stratification and monitoring of juvenile idiopathic arthritis patients by synovial proteome analysisDavid S Gibson
Arthritis Research Group, Microbiology Building RVH, Queen s University Belfast, United Kingdom
J Proteome Res 8:5601-9. 2009..We investigated whether profiling of the synovial fluid (SF) proteome by a fluorescent dye based, two-dimensional gel (DIGE) approach could distinguish patients in ..
- Activating and inhibitory receptors on synovial fluid natural killer cells of arthritis patients: role of CD94/NKG2A in control of cytokine secretionCristina Teixeira de Matos
Department of Microbiology, Tumour and Cell Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Immunology 122:291-301. 2007..To further understand the role for NK cells in inflammation, we investigated the phenotype and function of synovial fluid (SF) NK cells from patients with chronic joint inflammation, as well as from patients with transient ..
- Synovial fluid is a site of citrullination of autoantigens in inflammatory arthritisAndrew Kinloch
Imperial College London, London, UK
Arthritis Rheum 58:2287-95. 2008To examine synovial fluid as a site for generating citrullinated antigens, including the candidate autoantigen citrullinated alpha-enolase, in rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Adiponectin may contribute to synovitis and joint destruction in rheumatoid arthritis by stimulating vascular endothelial growth factor, matrix metalloproteinase-1, and matrix metalloproteinase-13 expression in fibroblast-like synoviocytes more than proinHyun Mi Choi
East West Bone and Joint Research Institute, East West Neo Medical Center, Kyung Hee University, 149 Sangil dong, Gangdong gu, Seoul, 134 727, Republic of Korea
Arthritis Res Ther 11:R161. 2009....
- Expression of interleukin-18, IL-18BP, and IL-18R in serum, synovial fluid, and synovial tissue in patients with rheumatoid arthritisXue Ting Shao
State Key Laboratory for Diagnosis and Treatment of Infectious Diseases, Institute of Infectious Diseases, The First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou 310003, China
Clin Exp Med 9:215-21. 2009..to investigate the expression of IL-18 and its receptor (IL-18R) and IL-18 binding protein (IL-18BP) in serum, synovial fluid, and synovial tissue of patients with RA, and to identify the pathological role of IL-18 in RA...
- Adsorption, lubrication, and wear of lubricin on model surfaces: polymer brush-like behavior of a glycoproteinBruno Zappone
Materials Department and Materials Research Laboratory, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California, USA
Biophys J 92:1693-708. 2007..These results support recent suggestions that boundary lubrication and wear protection in articular joints are due to the presence of a biological polyelectrolyte on the cartilage surfaces...
- Altered expression and glycosylation of plasma proteins in rheumatoid arthritisSunil K Raghav
Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi University Campus, Mall Road, Delhi, 110 007, India
Glycoconj J 23:167-73. 2006..The present study, therefore, enunciates the role of carbohydrates as well as that of the acute phase response in the disease pathogenesis...
- Cytokine pathways and orofacial painKe Ren; Fiscal Year: 2006..cytokines in orofacial pain mechanisms, despite the findings that some cytokines are found in the synovial fluid of arthritic but not in healthy TMJs...
- Electroporation and transcutaneous extraction of drugsSATHYANARAYANA MURTHY; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ibuprofen levels in the dermal ECF correlated well with that in the synovial fluid. Similarly the concentration of unbound cefpodoxime in the dermal ECF correlated well with its concentration ..
- Cross-talk Between Coagulation, Inflammation, and ImmunityLawrence L Leung; Fiscal Year: 2013..We showed markedly elevated levels of OPN-R and its CPB-cleaved product, OPN-Leu (OPN-L), in synovial fluid samples from rheumatoid arthritis patients and these cleaved OPN forms affect neutrophils and fibroblast-like ..
- Role of NGF in inflammatory and proliferative cascades of psoriatic diseaseSiba P Raychaudhuri; Fiscal Year: 2012..Blood, synovial fluid (SF) and synovial tissues of PsA (n=25) and controls [OA (n=20) and RA (n=10)] will also be examined to ..
- CHONDROPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF POMEGRANATE EXTRACTTariq M Haqqi; Fiscal Year: 2010..of several of the known PFE-derived anthocyanins and ellagitanins (ET) that become bioavailable in plasma and synovial fluid (SF) in rabbits given different doses of PFE;in aim-2 we will determine and compare the efficacy of plasma and ..
- GAMMA DELTA T CELLS IN LYME ARTHRITISRalph C Budd; Fiscal Year: 2011..A significant proportion of the lymphocytes that accumulate in Lyme arthritis synovial fluid are gamma/delta (??? T cells of the Vd1 subset...
- Novel Therapies and Biomarkers for the MucopolysaccharidosesCALOGERA MARIA SIMONARO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 2: We will explore the use of plasma and synovial fluid as sources of biomarkers for the MPS disorders by a) obtaining these materials from MPS VI cats of various ..
- Multiplex ALEX-based Test for Protease Activity Profiling in Arthritic JointsARMIN H REITMAIR; Fiscal Year: 2013..NTI) proposes a next-generation multiplex test for protease activity profiling in minute synovial fluid samples from arthritic joints, using alternating laser excitation (ALEX) single molecule fluorescence ..
- Myeloid-derived Suppressor Cells in Autoimmune ArthritisKatalin Mikecz; Fiscal Year: 2012..In preliminary studies we have identified innate immune cells in the synovial fluid, BM, and spleens of arthritic mice, which exhibit an "immature" myeloid cell phenotype and profound suppressor ..
- Lubricin Function in Articulating JointsMatthew L Warman; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will do this by analyzing synovial fluid and serum from cohorts of patients affected by common joint diseases and from animal models of acquired joint ..
- Transdermal delivery of 2-Arachidonoyl glycerol (2-AG) for the treatment of arthrAudra L Stinchcomb; Fiscal Year: 2012..In a recently published 2-AG study, an initial concentration of about 1 mg/ml was needed in synovial fluid to treat joint pain with 50% efficacy...
- Molecular Mechanisms of the Increased Cardiovascular Risk in Rheumatoid ArthritisMARIO CESAR RICO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore, we propose that high levels of TSP1 in plasma and synovial fluid are responsible in part for the inflammatory changes observed in RA through promotion of assembly of the ..
- Role of Stress-Response Protein gp96 in the Persistence of Rheumatoid ArthritisRichard M Pope; Fiscal Year: 2012..RA synovial M&s through TLR ligation will be greater than observed with normal M&s or those from the synovial fluid of patients with other forms of inflammatory arthritis (OIA) such as psoriatic arthritis, while the activation ..
- Joint Capsule Biomechanics and Transport in Rat Models of Aging and DiseaseWILLIAM JOSEPH MCCARTY; Fiscal Year: 2012..applicant): Aging and age-related diseases, such as osteoarthritis (OA), result in pathological changes to the synovial fluid in joints, reducing lubrication function and leading to degenerative wear and often to pain and disability...
- Biomechanics and Inflammation in OsteoarthritisFarshid Guilak; Fiscal Year: 2012..Outcome measures include gross and histological joint appearances, synovial fluid biomarkers, and measures of gait and pain perception...
- Muscle Weakness and Post-Traumatic Knee OATerese L Chmielewski; Fiscal Year: 2011..symmetry during functional activities, and with levels of inflammatory cytokines (TNF-alpha and IL-1beta) in synovial fluid. The career development plan and supervised research experiences will provide the candidate with the necessary ..
- Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disease in RAAndreas H Hielscher; Fiscal Year: 2013..and scattering coefficients inside these joints, which come about by changes in the optical properties of the synovial fluid as well as the vasculature surrounding the joints...
- Suppression of SHH Expression in Arthritis by Butea monospermaTariq M Haqqi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The articular cartilage will be evaluated macroscopically and histologically. Synovial fluid and serum will be analyzed for (a) levels of inflammatory cytokines (IL-1[unreadable], TNF-[unreadable], IL-6);..
- Regulation of synovial fibroblast function via Cadherin-11 cleavageMichael B Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2013..In health, the synovial tissue is thought to be the primary synthetic source of the viscous and lubricating synovial fluid that bathes the joint tissues...
- Function and Behavior Phenotype of Inflammatory Arthritis in the Rat Knee and TMJKyle D Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will investigate catabolic and pro-imflammatory rriarkers of TMJ pathology in thes serum, saliva, and TMJ synovial fluid. F'ihally, we will combine behavioral analysis tools with our model;of TMJ degeneration to examine tliei ..
- CGRP Regulation of iNOS and MAP Kinases/Phosphatases in Trigeminal Ganglia GliaPaul L Durham; Fiscal Year: 2010..Elevated levels of the neuropeptide CGRP and multifunctional signaling molecule NO in synovial fluid of arthritic TMJs correlate with chronic inflammation and pain and contribute to TMJ degeneration...
- Silk Fibroin Small-Molecule Drug Carriers for the Treatment of OsteoarthritisTIMOTHY KARIITHI MWANGI; Fiscal Year: 2013..weight-bearing;(b) pain-related sensitivity (mechanical allodynia);(c) histopathology grade;and (d) serum and synovial fluid biomarkers of OA...
- Nucleosides and TREM2 Mediate Inflammation-Induced Bone LossGeorge Pan; Fiscal Year: 2010..An abundance of nucleosides is accumulated in the synovial fluid of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients...
- CXCL16/CXCR6 and Their Roles in Autoimmune ArthritisShuhua Han; Fiscal Year: 2010..cells are mainly Th1 cells, display extralymphoid tissue homing potential and are enriched in inflamed synovial fluid of RA patients. Treatment of mice with CXCL16-lg fusion protein significantly ameliorates CIA...
- Development of a tissue-integrated HA-binding material for cartilage regenerationSHIMON ARYEH UNTERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..repeating dissacharide units that is highly abundant in the extracellular matrix (ECM) of cartilage and in the synovial fluid of the joint, and provides for much of its mechanical properties and frictionless movement...
- A new multiphase polymeric material for cushion-bearing orthopedic implantsBRUCE LAWRENCE CARVALHO; Fiscal Year: 2013..with very low friction since they can deform microscopically to induce fluid film lubrication associated with synovial fluid. This makes it unnecessary for the material to be wear resistant since the two articulating surfaces of the ..
- Platelet glycoprotein VI dependent microparticle formationJerry Ware; Fiscal Year: 2012..The link to human disease is the presence of up to 400,000 platelet microparticles per l in diseased synovial fluid. As such, the platelet microparticle represents the major cellular component in synovial fluid from rheumatoid ..
- Functional Tissue Engineering for Cartilage RepairFarshid Guilak; Fiscal Year: 2013..Serum, synovial fluid, synovium, and lymph nodes will be analyzed for biomarkers of osteoarthritis, as well as for adverse ..
- Probing Osteoarthritis Pathogenesis by Noninvasive Imaging of Cartilage StrainCOREY P NEU; Fiscal Year: 2013..qMRI, histology and histochemical endpoints, and inflammation and matrix degradation biomarkers from serum and synovial fluid. If successful, this work will provide orthopaedic and musculoskeletal communities with (a) a clinical ..
- Magnetic Collection of Joint-Level Osteoarthritis BiomarkersJon Dobson; Fiscal Year: 2013..of this proposal is to develop a novel magnetic nanoparticle-based technique to collect OA biomarkers from synovial fluid without the need to remove fluid from the joint space...
- A Drug Delivery Platform For Near-Term Treatment of Proteolytic DiseaseJEFFREY MICHAEL KARP; Fiscal Year: 2013..that disassemble in response to MMPs those are upregulated within joints in IA and b) confirm capacity for IA synovial fluid to disassemble prodrug hydrogels in an MMP specific manner...
- An Improved Diagnostic for Lyme ArthritisJohn E Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2010..burgdorferi cells in the synovial fluid of individuals suffering from Lyme arthritis, thus filling a void that currently exists in the market...
- Mechanisms of Articular Cartilage LubricationRobert L Sah; Fiscal Year: 2010..mechanisms, in particular the molecular basis for boundary-mode lubrication of articular cartilage by synovial fluid. The overall hypothesis to be tested is that boundary lubrication of articular cartilage occurs via ..
- Patterned Microtexture for Improved Durability of Orthopedic Knee ImplantsRONALD L JACOBSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..is radically improve the durability of TKRs by modifying them to enhance the performance of the lubricating synovial fluid. The current paradigm for combating implant wear is to minimize friction by employing ultra-smooth sliding ..
- Biomarker response to acute joint injury in an animal model of osteoarthritisTROY NEAL TRUMBLE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The objective of this R15 application is to validate/refute that synovial fluid, serum, and urine biomarkers can be used to identify changes that occur after acute joint injury by using an ..
- Defining Environmental Cues Which Impair Functional ACL HealingCarla Maria Haslauer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aims will be performed: Aim 1: Determine the changes in cytokine production and gene expression in serum, synovial fluid, and tissue over the 14 days following an acute ACL injury...
- NIAMS: CORT Innovations to Assess and Forestall Post-Traumatic OsteoarthritisJoseph A Buckwalter; Fiscal Year: 2013..the ability of non-invasive measures to assess the severity of cartilage damage, that will identify which synovial fluid markers of acute joint injury reflect that damage, and that will test the hypothesis that decreased loading ..
- ACTIVATION OF COLLAGENASE IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITISL Windsor; Fiscal Year: 2001..Active collagenase has been identified in the synovial fluid and in tissue extracts from patients with rheumatoid arthritis as well as in conditioned media from cytokine-..
- BIOTRIBOLOGY OF DIARTHRODIAL JOINTSGerard A Ateshian; Fiscal Year: 2013..Though boundary lubricants present in synovial fluid help to further reduce the friction coefficient, our recent study has shown that the dominant reduction in ..
- Rapid Detection of Periprosthetic Joint InfectionMITCHELL C SANDERS; Fiscal Year: 2012..performed by ECI "clearly identified" two target markers for PJI, when screened against a cohort of clinical synovial fluid samples, gathered from patients with symptoms of PJI...
- Restitution of Lubrication in ACL Deficient Joints Preventing WearGregory Jay; Fiscal Year: 2009..Both immunologic and mechanical assays have documented a variable lack of lubricin in synovial fluid following injury in both humans and animal models...
- IMMUNOPROBES FOR LUBRICIN FROM HUMAN SYNOVIAL FLUIDGregory Jay; Fiscal Year: 2003..use molecular techniques, standardize merchanical assays and assign clinical importance to lubrication by synovial fluid. This investigation addresses the molecular of synovial lubrication of animal joints...
- METALLOPROTEINASES IN AGING AND OSTEOARTHRITISVirginia Kraus; Fiscal Year: 2002..polarized light microscopy, urinary and plasma pyridinoline and deoxypyridinoline cross-links, and synovial fluid MMP activity...
- INTRA-ARTICULAR DELIVERY OF PEPTIDES AND PROTEINSPaul Simpson; Fiscal Year: 1999..and chondrotin sulfate-chitosan and to evaluate the encapsulation of selected peptides and their release in synovial fluid and chondrocyte secretions...
- Pathogenesis of Borrelia burgdorferi induced arthritisLinden Hu; Fiscal Year: 2006..We have found evidence that MMPs are elevated in the synovial fluid of patients with Lyme arthritis...
- OPTICAL TOMOGRAPHY FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF JOINT DISEASESANDREAS HIELSCHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The initial hypothesis that changes in the synovial fluid provide optical contrast appeared to be true, however, the clinical results suggest a more complex scenario as ..
- CLONAL DOMINANCE OF T-LYMPHOCYTES IN ARTHRITISJAMES KURNICK; Fiscal Year: 1991..Synovial tissue-infiltrating lymphocytes will be compared to blood and synovial fluid-derived lymphocytes in order to gain perspective on the distribution of the lymphocytes involved in the ..
- Heat Shock Protein, Citrullinated Antigen and Dendritic Cell InteractionsFrances Santiago Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Emphasis will be placed on studying inducible HSP70 and cit-fibrin, which are specifically elevated in RA synovial fluid (SF) vs non-RA SF and considered key self-cit-Ags in RA, resp...
- INCIDENCE & IDENTITY OF THE RA-1 PARVOVIRUSRobert Simpson; Fiscal Year: 1990..b>Synovial fluid and paired blood samples from patients with early synovitis or diagnosed RA will be included in this survey...
- Diagnosis of Crystalopathies via Raman SpectroscopyOzan Akkus; Fiscal Year: 2006..phosphate, tricalcium phosphate, calcium oxalate, cholesterol, cystine and xanthine will be mixed with healthy synovial fluid samples at various concentrations and these mixtures will be analyzed at the macro level to detect the ..
- HUMAN NEUTROPHIL RC-RECEPTOR-MEDIATED PHAGOCYTOSISHattie Gresham; Fiscal Year: 1990Neutrophils (PMN) collect in the synovial fluid of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and contribute to joint destruction by the release of inflammatory mediators and intracellular enzymes in response to the binding of IgG containing ..
- FIBROCARTILAGINOUS KNEE JOINT MENISCI: BIOLOGY & REPAIRRichard Webber; Fiscal Year: 1991..of the core protein of rabbit meniscal proteoglycans and bovine lubricin, the lubricating glycoprotein of synovial fluid, will be continued...
- RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, 1993Edward Harris; Fiscal Year: 1993..Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis Focused on Inhibiting the Immune Response" (Fathman), "Acute Inflammation: Synovial Fluid and Polymorphonuclear Leukocytes" (Weissmann), "Anti-Inflammatory Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Now and in ..
- IL 4 DIRECTED IMMUNE RESPONSES TO CAEV SUKevin Snekvik; Fiscal Year: 2000..Symptomatic goats have intralesional memory and immunoglobulin producing B-lymphocytes, increased serum and synovial fluid titers of polyclonal IgG1 and CAEV SU reactive antibodies, and increased CAEV SU responsive Th2 lymphocytes ..
- BIOTRIBOLOGY OF DIARTHRODIAL JOINTSGerard Ateshian; Fiscal Year: 1999..is time-dependent, velocity-dependent, and load-dependent, while being nearly independent of the viscosity of synovial fluid. The development of such a predictive model is significant at several levels...
- Kinetic Biomarkers of Joint Space Molecules in OAScott Turner; Fiscal Year: 2005..changes in turnover (synthesis and degredation) of components of hyaline articular cartilage matrix and synovial fluid with age and osteoarthritis (OA)...
- COLLAGENASE REMOVAL IN OSTEOARTHRITISNicola Partridge; Fiscal Year: 2002..studies have identified increased levels of collagenase-3 (and other matrix metalloproteinases) in arthritic synovial fluid. We have shown that osteoblasts, chondrocytes and fibroblasts can remove collagenase-3 from the surrounding ..
- N-glycolylneuraminic Acid in the Pathogenesis and Progression of Rheumatoid ArthrNancy Hurtado Ziola; Fiscal Year: 2009..Subpopulations of antibody profiles and/or the Neu5Gc content of synovial fluid might also be effective biomarkers of RA severity, progression, prognosis and/or the monitoring of responses ..
- Symposium on Proteomics and ToxicologyIan Blair; Fiscal Year: 2003..Proteins can be measured reliably in a broader range of biological tissues (blood, CSF, synovial fluid, urine) than mRNA transcripts...
- INHIBITION OF IL-6 AND STAT3 IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITISLionel Ivashkiv; Fiscal Year: 1999..We have found that Stat3 is constitutively active in RA synovial fluid and tissue cells, that synovial fluids activate Stat3 in control cells, and that the major synovial fluid ..
- Vanilloid Receptor VR1 in OsteoarthritisJuli Valtschanoff; Fiscal Year: 2009..The second aim will be to assess the role of TRPV1 in the neurogenic release of peptides into the synovial fluid by comparing TRPV1-null mice and wide type controls...
- Molecular Design of Hyaluronan with Polypeptide Branches of Controlled StructureJULES MAGDA; Fiscal Year: 2007..as an "associative thickener" that can be used in injected formulations to boost the viscoelasticity of synovial fluid for remediation of osteoarthritis (OA) at relatively low HA content...
- Leukocyte recruitment by cyclophilinc-CD147 interactionMichael Bukrinsky; Fiscal Year: 2005..CypA is released in the joints of rheumatoid arthritis patients, and neutrophil infiltration into synovial fluid is a recognized pathogenic factor in this disease...
- SPECIALIZED CENTER OF RESEARCH IN OSTEOARTHRITISKenneth Brandt; Fiscal Year: 1992..It aims also to determine whether release of CGMP into serum and synovial fluid in OA is due to decreased cartilage matrix integrity or altered breakdown of CGMP...
- STATS AND THE PATHOGENESIS OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITISLionel Ivashkiv; Fiscal Year: 2000..Many cytokines have been detected in RA synovial tissue (ST) and synovial fluid (SF), and an important role for cytokines in the pathogenesis of RA has been suggested by clinical trials and ..
- MOLECULAR DIAGNOSIS OF ORTHOPAEDIC BACTERIAL INFECTIONSRocky Tuan; Fiscal Year: 2000..for a rapid, accurate and inexpensive method for determining whether or not orthopaedic specimens, such as synovial fluid, and other orthopaedic tissues, such as bone and bone marrow, are infected...