Genomes and Genes
Summary: The clear, watery fluid which fills the anterior and posterior chambers of the eye. It has a refractive index lower than the crystalline lens, which it surrounds, and is involved in the metabolism of the cornea and the crystalline lens. (Cline et al., Dictionary of Visual Science, 4th ed, p319)
Publications289 found, 100 shown here
- 5 alpha-dihydrocortisol in human aqueous humor and metabolism of cortisol by human lenses in vitroB I Weinstein
Department of Ophthalmology, New York Medical College, Valhalla 10595
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 32:2130-5. 1991..Cortisol metabolites have biologic activity and may affect aqueous humor dynamics...
- Multiplex cytokine analysis of aqueous humor in eyes with primary open-angle glaucoma, exfoliation glaucoma, and cataractYasuyuki Takai
Department of Ophthalmology, Shimane University Faculty of Medicine, Izumo, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:241-7. 2012To measure levels of various inflammatory cytokines in the aqueous humor of patients with primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG), exfoliation glaucoma (EXG), and senile cataract.
- Changes in aqueous humor dynamics with age and glaucomaB Ann True Gabelt
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin, F4 340 CSC, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792 3220, USA
Prog Retin Eye Res 24:612-37. 2005Changes in aqueous humor dynamics with age and in glaucoma have been studied for several decades...
- Oxidative stress in primary open-angle glaucomaVicente Zanon-Moreno
Ophthalmologic Research Unit Santiago Grisolia, Dr Peset Universitary Hospital, Valencia, Spain
J Glaucoma 17:263-8. 2008..To analyze oxidative stress in primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG)...
- Lipid peroxidation and total antioxidant capacity in vitreous, aqueous humor, and blood samples from patients with diabetic retinopathyRaffaele Mancino
Ophthalmology Unit, Department of Biopathology, Tor Vergata University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Mol Vis 17:1298-304. 2011To evaluate levels of malondialdehyde and the total antioxidant capacity (TAC) in the blood, aqueous humor, and vitreous bodies of diabetic and nondiabetic patients. We also measured the blood energy charge potential (ECP).
- IL-10 measurement in aqueous humor for screening patients with suspicion of primary intraocular lymphomaNathalie Cassoux
Department of Ophthalmology, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3253-9. 2007To determine the value of IL-10 measurement in aqueous humor (AH) for screening in primary intraocular lymphoma (PIOL).
- Antibodies to alpha B-crystallin, vimentin, and heat shock protein 70 in aqueous humor of patients with normal tension glaucoma and IgG antibody patterns against retinal antigen in aqueous humorStephanie C Joachim
Department of Ophthalmology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Curr Eye Res 32:501-9. 2007To show the existence of IgG antibodies against retinal antigens in aqueous humor of normal tension glaucoma patients.
- Comparison of aqueous humor cytokine and chemokine levels in diabetic patients with and without retinopathyChui Ming Gemmy Cheung
Ocular Inflammation and Immunology Services, Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Mol Vis 18:830-7. 2012To compare the aqueous humor levels of proinflammatory and angiogenic factors of diabetic patients with and without retinopathy.
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha concentrations in the aqueous humor of patients with glaucomaHideko Sawada
Department of Ophthalmology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Asahimachi, Niigata, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:903-6. 2010To investigate the concentration of tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha in the aqueous humor of patients with glaucoma, including correlations with glaucoma subtypes and intraocular pressure.
- Extracellular matrix in the trabecular meshworkTed S Acott
Casey Eye Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, 3375 SW Terwilliger, Portland, OR 97239 4197, USA
Exp Eye Res 86:543-61. 2008..IOP is regulated primarily by a fluid resistance to aqueous humor outflow...
- Modulation of aqueous humor outflow facility by the Rho kinase-specific inhibitor Y-27632P V Rao
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina7710, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:1029-37. 2001The goal of this study was to investigate the role of Rho kinase in the modulation of aqueous humor outflow facility...
- Surgical denervation of ocular sympathetic afferents decreases local transforming growth factor-beta and abolishes immune privilegeJose L Vega
Schepens Eye Research Institute, 20 Staniford St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Am J Pathol 175:1218-25. 2009..immune privilege is accompanied by a decrease in the concentration of transforming growth factor-beta in the aqueous humor. These results suggest that immune privilege is lost in the absence of a functional sympathetic innervation of ..
- Expression profile of inflammatory cytokines in aqueous from glaucomatous eyesJocelyn Chua
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Mol Vis 18:431-8. 2012To determine the proinflammatory cytokine profile of aqueous humor from glaucomatous eyes.
- Rho GTPase-mediated cytoskeletal organization in Schlemm's canal cells play a critical role in the regulation of aqueous humor outflow facilityJanardan Kumar
Department of Natural Sciences, Becker College, Worcester, Massachusetts 01609, USA
J Cell Biochem 112:600-6. 2011The increased intraocular pressure (IOP) has been considered to be an increased resistance of the aqueous humor outflow through the inner wall of Schlemm's canal (SC) and/or the juxtacanalicular tissue (JCT)...
- Modeling passive mechanical interaction between aqueous humor and irisJ J Heys
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder 80309-0424, USA
J Biomech Eng 123:540-7. 2001..We present here a mathematical model of the coupled aqueous humor-iris system that accountsfor the contribution of aqueous humor flow and passive iris deformability to the iris ..
- Angiogenic and inflammatory markers in the intraocular fluid of eyes with diabetic macular edema and influence of therapy with bevacizumabMarion Funk
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Retina 30:1412-9. 2010....
- Corneal endotheliitis associated with evidence of cytomegalovirus infectionSoon Phaik Chee
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Ophthalmology 114:798-803. 2007..To describe the clinical presentation of cytomegalovirus (CMV) corneal endotheliitis in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-negative patients...
- Concentrations of mitomycin C in rabbit corneal tissue and aqueous humor after topical administrationJong Suk Song
Department of Ophthalmology, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Cornea 25:S20-3. 2006....
- Inflammatory cytokines in aqueous humor of patients with choroidal neovascularizationHeng Miao
Department of Ophthalmology, People s Hospital, Peking University, Beijing, China
Mol Vis 18:574-80. 2012....
- Changes in aqueous concentrations of various cytokines after intravitreal triamcinolone versus bevacizumab for diabetic macular edemaHee Jin Sohn
Department of Ophthalmology, Hongik Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 152:686-94. 2011..To investigate the changes in aqueous inflammatory and angiogenic cytokine levels after intravitreal injection of triamcinolone or bevacizumab for reducing foveal thickness in diabetic macular edema (DME)...
- Prevention of endotoxin-induced uveitis in rats by benfotiamine, a lipophilic analogue of vitamin B1Umesh C S Yadav
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0647, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:2276-82. 2009..To study the amelioration of ocular inflammation in endotoxin-induced uveitis (EIU) in rats by benfotiamine, a lipid-soluble analogue of thiamine...
- Usefulness of aqueous humor analysis for the diagnosis of posterior uveitisAniki Rothova
Department of Ophthalmology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Ophthalmology 115:306-11. 2008..To assess the clinical usefulness of aqueous fluid analysis for the diagnosis and treatment of patients suspected of having infectious posterior uveitis (PU)...
- Proteome analysis of human aqueous humorUttio Roy Chowdhury
Department of Ophthalmology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:4921-31. 2010Human aqueous humor (hAH) provides nutrition and immunity within the anterior chamber of the eye...
- Oxidative stress markers in aqueous humor of glaucoma patientsSandra M Ferreira
Departamento de Química Analítica y Fisicoquímica, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Instituto de Quimica y Fisicoquimica Biologica, CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Ophthalmol 137:62-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to establish the antioxidant status of aqueous humor of patients with primary open-angle glaucoma...
- What increases outflow resistance in primary open-angle glaucoma?Ernst R Tamm
Institute of Human Anatomy and Embryology, University of Regensburg, Germany
Surv Ophthalmol 52:S101-4. 2007..open-angle glaucoma is generated in the trabecular meshwork outflow pathways, which provide resistance to aqueous humor outflow...
- Intraocular antibody synthesis against rubella virus and other microorganisms in Fuchs' heterochromic cyclitisPeter C Ruokonen
Augenklinik Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin CVK Germany, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 248:565-71. 2010..Fuchs' heterochromic cyclitis (FHC) is a common intraocular disease of uncertain etiology that has recently been related to rubella virus (RV) infection...
- Intraocular pharmacokinetics of bevacizumab after a single intravitreal injection in humansTim U Krohne
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Ophthalmol 146:508-12. 2008..To investigate intraocular concentrations and pharmacokinetics of bevacizumab after a single intravitreal injection in humans...
- Correlation of increased vascular endothelial growth factor with neovascularization and permeability in ischemic central vein occlusionShelley R Boyd
Moorfields Eye Hospital, City Road, London EC1V 2PD, England
Arch Ophthalmol 120:1644-50. 2002..To establish a role for vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) during the onset and clinical course of neovascularization of the iris (NVI) in ischemic central retinal vein occlusion...
- Mouse model of sustained elevation in intraocular pressure produced by episcleral vein occlusionJavier Ruiz-Ederra
Department of Medicine and Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0521, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:879-84. 2006....
- Aqueous and serum interferon gamma, interleukin (IL) 2, IL-4, and IL-10 in patients with uveitisM S Lacomba
Department of Ophthalmology, Reina Sofia University Clinic, Cordoba, Spain
Arch Ophthalmol 118:768-72. 2000To determine the cytokine profile in aqueous humor and peripheral blood from patients with uveitis.
- Effects of modifiers of glycosaminoglycan biosynthesis on outflow facility in perfusion cultureKate E Keller
Casey Eye Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 4197, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:2495-505. 2008Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) have been implicated in the regulation of outflow resistance of aqueous humor flow through the trabecular meshwork (TM)...
- Aqueous cytokine and chemokine analysis in uveitis associated with tuberculosisMarcus Ang
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Mol Vis 18:565-73. 2012..The aim of this study was to study the aqueous cytokine and chemokine composition in patients with uveitis associated with tuberculosis (TAU)...
- Clinical evidence of sustained chronic inflammatory reaction in retinitis pigmentosaNoriko Yoshida
Department of Ophthalmology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Ophthalmology 120:100-5. 2013..To study the nature of inflammatory reaction in eyes of patients with retinitis pigmentosa (RP) and its possible role in the pathogenesis of RP...
- Ranibizumab for macular edema due to retinal vein occlusions: implication of VEGF as a critical stimulatorPeter A Campochiaro
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 9277, USA
Mol Ther 16:791-9. 2008....
- Preclinical pharmacokinetics of Ranibizumab (rhuFabV2) after a single intravitreal administrationJacques Gaudreault
Department of Pharmacokinetic, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:726-33. 2005..This study evaluated the pharmacokinetic (PK) and serum bioavailability of ranibizumab after a single intravitreal (ITV) or intravenous (IV) dose in cynomolgus monkeys...
- Intraocular pharmacokinetics after a single intravitreal injection of 1.5 mg versus 3.0 mg of bevacizumab in humansCarsten H Meyer
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Germany
Retina 31:1877-84. 2011..To compare the concentration of unbound bevacizumab in the anterior chamber of patients with macular edema, who received a single intravitreal injection of two different dosages...
- Endothelin and its suspected role in the pathogenesis and possible treatment of glaucomaYochai Z Shoshani
Department of Ophthalmology, Indiana School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Curr Eye Res 37:1-11. 2012....
- The Ahmed Baerveldt Comparison Study methodology, baseline patient characteristics, and intraoperative complicationsKeith Barton
NIHR Biomedical Research Centre for Ophthalmology, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ophthalmology 118:435-42. 2011....
- Sustained mechanical release of dexamethasone sodium phosphate from a foldable capsular vitreous bodyYaqin Liu
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sun Yatsen University, Guangzhou, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:1636-42. 2010..Since 300-nm-mili apertures were present in the capsule of the foldable capsular vitreous body (FCVB), the authors tested whether the FCVB could mechanically release dexamethasone sodium phosphate (DexP) from its capsule...
- Pars plana anterior vitrectomy, hyaloido-zonulectomy, and iridectomy for aqueous humor misdirectionElena Bitrian
Jules Stein Eye Institute, University of California Los Angeles, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 150:82-87.e1. 2010..To report a surgical technique for aqueous misdirection refractory to medical treatment consisting of combined pars plana vitrectomy, hyaloido-zonulectomy, and peripheral iridectomy...
- Multiplex cytokine analysis reveals elevated concentration of interleukin-8 in glaucomatous aqueous humorJohn Kuchtey
Vanderbilt Eye Institute, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:6441-7. 2010..the hypothesis that immune activation occurs in glaucoma by comparing concentrations of multiple cytokines in aqueous humor (AH) from patients with primary open angle glaucoma (POAG) and from cataract patients without glaucoma as ..
- Proteomic analysis of aqueous humor from patients with primary open angle glaucomaXiaoming Duan
Beijing Tongren Eye Center, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences Key Laboratory, Beijing, China
Mol Vis 16:2839-46. 2010..It is known, however, that the expression profile for some proteins in the aqueous humor (AH) changes in some diseases, and that AH changes play important roles in elevated IOP...
- Penetration of topically applied tacrolimus into the aqueous humor in Behçet's diseaseF Nilüfer Yalçindağ
Ophthalmology Department, Ankara University Faculty of Medicine, Esat Caddes i 74 3 Küçükesat, Ankara, 06660, Turkey
Ann Ophthalmol (Skokie) 39:15-7. 2007We investigated the concentration of tacrolimus in aqueous humor, and serum of patients with ocular Behçet's disease after topical application in 11 patients. All received 1 drop of isotonic tacrolimus solution 0...
- Rubella virus as a possible etiological agent of Fuchs heterochromic iridocyclitisJun Suzuki
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Medical University Hospital, 6 7 1 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 0023, Japan
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 248:1487-91. 2010..To determine whether rubella virus is involved in the pathogenesis of Fuchs heterochromic iridocyclitis (FHI)...
- Cytomegalovirus endotheliitis in Descemet's stripping endothelial keratoplastyArundhati Anshu
Singapore National Eye Center, Singapore
Ophthalmology 116:624-30. 2009..To report 4 cases of undiagnosed cytomegalovirus (CMV) endotheliitis in patients who underwent Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK)...
- Effects of TGF-beta2 in perfused human eyesJohannes Gottanka
Department of Anatomy 2, University of Erlangen Nuremburg, Erlangen, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:153-8. 2004TGF-beta2 is known to be present at elevated levels in the aqueous humor of patients with primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG)...
- Myocilin levels in primary open-angle glaucoma and pseudoexfoliation glaucoma human aqueous humorKyle G Howell
Department of Ophthalmology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Glaucoma 19:569-75. 2010To determine the concentration of myocilin in primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG) and pseudoexfoliation glaucoma (PEXG) aqueous humor.
- Interleukin-10 and interleukin-6 in aqueous humor during treatment of vitreoretinal lymphoma with intravitreally injected methotrexateHajime Kawamura
Department of Ophthalmology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta Tsukinowacho, Otsu, Japan
Ophthalmic Res 42:172-4. 2009..To evaluate the effectiveness of measuring anterior chamber interleukin (IL)-10 and IL-6 concentrations during treatment of vitreoretinal lymphoma with intravitreally injected methotrexate...
- Evaluation of 5-fluorouracil released from a foldable capsular vitreous body in vitro and in vivoHaihua Zheng
the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, 109 West Xueyuan Road, Wenzhou, 325000, China
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 250:751-9. 2012..Here, we evaluated the characteristics of the release of 5-fluorouracil (5-Fu) from FCVB in vitro and in vivo...
- Effects of sildenafil and tadalafil on intraocular pressure in sheep: implications for aqueous humor dynamicsRosana Gerometta
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Corrientes, Argentina
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:3139-44. 2010To determine the effects of vasodilators on intraocular pressure (IOP) and the protein content of sheep aqueous humor (AH), because the vasodilators may increase fluid leakage from the fenestrated capillaries of the ciliary body to the ..
- Aqueous humor and plasma adiponectin levels in proliferative diabetic retinopathy patientsDanna Mao
Department of Ophthalmology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Chongqing Eye Institute, Chongqing, China
Curr Eye Res 37:803-8. 2012To study whether aqueous humor (AH) and plasma adiponectin (APN) levels were altered in proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR).
- Polymerase chain reaction and Goldmann-Witmer coefficient analysis are complimentary for the diagnosis of infectious uveitisJolanda D F de Groot-Mijnes
Department of Virology, Eijkman Winkler Center, and F C Donders Institute of Ophthalmology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Ophthalmol 141:313-8. 2006To determine the relative contribution of the analysis of intraocular antibody production and the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in aqueous humor (AH) to the diagnosis of infectious uveitis.
- Shunts to divert aqueous humor to distant epithelialized cavities after keratoprosthesis surgeryClaes H Dohlman
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Glaucoma 19:111-5. 2010..In this retroactive study of such shunts, the risk of postoperative infection (especially endophthalmitis) has been assessed...
- Influence of race and age on aqueous humor levels of transforming growth factor-beta 2 in glaucomatous and nonglaucomatous eyesRupal H Trivedi
Department of Ophthalmology, Storm Eye Institute, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 27:477-80. 2011To evaluate the influence of race and age on aqueous humor levels of transforming growth factor-beta 2 (TGF-β2).
- Proteomic analysis of human aqueous humor using multidimensional protein identification technologyMatthew R Richardson
Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Mol Vis 15:2740-50. 2009b>Aqueous humor (AH) supports avascular tissues in the anterior segment of the eye, maintains intraocular pressure, and potentially influences the pathogenesis of ocular diseases...
- Identification of differentially expressed proteins in the aqueous humor of primary congenital glaucomaRachida A Bouhenni
Department of Ophthalmology Summa Health System, Akron, OH 44304, USA
Exp Eye Res 92:67-75. 2011..Tryptic digests of the complex mixtures of proteins in aqueous humor were analyzed using Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS)...
- Effect of WIN 55212-2, a cannabinoid receptor agonist, on aqueous humor dynamics in monkeysFred Y Chien
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:87-90. 2003To evaluate the effects of WIN 55212-2, a cannabinoid receptor agonist, on intraocular pressure and aqueous humor dynamics in normal monkeys and monkeys with glaucoma.
- Proteome alterations in primary open angle glaucoma aqueous humorA Izzotti
Department of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Genoa, and Department of Head Neck Pathologies, St Martino Hospital, Ophthalmology Unit, Genoa, Italy
J Proteome Res 9:4831-8. 2010..only nourishment and scavenging source for most of the anterior and posterior chamber tissues in the eye, the aqueous humor represents one of the target for glaucoma...
- Aqueous humor nitric oxide levels in patients with Behçet diseaseGursel Yilmaz
Department of Ophthalmology, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Turkey
Retina 22:330-5. 2002The purpose of this study was to quantify aqueous humor nitric oxide levels in patients with Behçet uveitis and age-matched controls to assess how nitric oxide is involved in this ocular condition.
- Aqueous humour levels of cytokines are correlated to vitreous levels and severity of macular oedema in branch retinal vein occlusionH Noma
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Minami Ku, Hiroshima, Japan
Eye (Lond) 22:42-8. 2008....
- Inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor reduces scar formation after glaucoma filtration surgeryZhongqiu Li
Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:5217-25. 2009....
- Glaucoma drainage implants: a critical comparison of typesKenneth S Schwartz
Georgetown University Hospital, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 17:181-9. 2006..The purpose of this review is to critically compare the various glaucoma drainage implants in popular use...
- Aqueous humor dynamics in miceMakoto Aihara
Hamilton Glaucoma Center and Department of Ophthalmology, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0946, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:5168-73. 2003To assess aqueous humor dynamics in mouse eyes.
- Clinical features of cytomegalovirus anterior uveitis in immunocompetent patientsSoon Phaik Chee
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Am J Ophthalmol 145:834-40. 2008..To describe the clinical presentation of cytomegalovirus (CMV) anterior uveitis in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-negative patients...
- Somatostatin is an immunosuppressive factor in aqueous humorAndrew W Taylor
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:2644-9. 2003To detect the presence of somatostatin (SOM) in normal aqueous humor and to characterize its immunosuppressive activity.
- Aqueous humor and plasma vascular endothelial growth factor in uveitis-associated cystoid macular edemaH F Fine
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 132:794-6. 2001To determine the association between cystoid macular edema and vascular endothelial growth factor concentration in the aqueous humor and plasma of uveitis patients.
- Inflammatory and angiogenic factors in the aqueous humor and the relationship to diabetic retinopathyIn Kyung Oh
Department of Ophthalmology, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Curr Eye Res 35:1116-27. 2010..To determine the relationship between the aqueous concentrations of inflammatory and angiogenic factors and the severity of diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor in aqueous humor before and after intravitreal injection of bevacizumab in eyes with diabetic retinopathyOsamu Sawada
Department of Ophthalmology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Shiga, Japan
Arch Ophthalmol 125:1363-6. 2007To study the concentration of vascular endothelial growth factor in the aqueous humor before and after intravitreal injection of bevacizumab in eyes with proliferative diabetic retinopathy.
- Role of lysophospholipid growth factors in the modulation of aqueous humor outflow facilityPriyatham Sai Mettu
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:2263-71. 2004To investigate the role of lysophospholipid growth factors in the regulation of aqueous humor outflow in the trabecular meshwork (TM).
- Rho GTPase/Rho kinase inhibition as a novel target for the treatment of glaucomaVasantha P Rao
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
BioDrugs 21:167-77. 2007..Several lines of experimental evidence indicate that modulating ROCK activity within the aqueous humor outflow pathway using selective inhibitors could achieve very significant benefits for the treatment of ..
- Cytokine profiles in toxoplasmic and viral uveitisIbtissem Lahmar
Institut de Parasitologie et de Pathologie Tropicale, Universite de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
J Infect Dis 199:1239-49. 2009Uveitis is a major cause of visual impairment throughout the world. Analysis of cytokine profiles in aqueous humor specimens may provide insight into the physiopathological processes that underly retinal damage in this context.
- Concentration of vascular endothelial growth factor in aqueous humor of eyes with advanced retinopathy of prematurity before and after intravitreal injection of bevacizumabNorie Ito Nonobe
Department of Ophthalmology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsurumai, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Japan
Retina 29:579-85. 2009To determine whether an intravitreal injection of bevacizumab alters the concentration of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in the aqueous humor of eyes with retinopathy of prematurity.
- Acute effects of insulin on aqueous humor flow in patients with type 1 diabetesJ T Lane
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center and Nebraska Health System, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 132:321-7. 2001Previous studies reported reduced aqueous humor flow through the anterior segment of the eye in patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Sphingosine-1-phosphate effects on the inner wall of Schlemm's canal and outflow facility in perfused human eyesW Daniel Stamer
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Science, The University of Arizona, 655 North Alvernon Way, Suite 108, Tucson, AZ 85711, USA
Exp Eye Res 89:980-8. 2009..Regardless, S1P receptor antagonists represent novel therapeutic prospects for ocular hypertension in humans...
- Hepatocyte growth factor is increased in the aqueous humor of glaucomatous eyesD N Hu
Tissue Culture Center, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York 10003, USA
J Glaucoma 10:152-7. 2001To assess the concentrations of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) in the aqueous humor of eyes with glaucoma compared with control eyes with cataract only.
- Elevated amounts of myocilin in the aqueous humor of transgenic mice cause significant changes in ocular gene expressionWalter Paper
Institute of Human Anatomy and Embryology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Exp Eye Res 87:257-67. 2008..To assess the effects of elevated amounts of myocilin on aqueous humor outflow dynamics in an in vivo system, transgenic betaB1-crystallin-MYOC mice have been developed that ..
- Multiplex immunoassay analysis of biomarkers in clinically accessible quantities of human aqueous humorRajesh K Sharma
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL 32209, USA
Mol Vis 15:60-9. 2009b>Aqueous humor is intimately related to the cells of the anterior and posterior chambers, which affect its composition. Aqueous analysis provides useful information regarding physiological and pathophysiological processes in the eye...
- Transforming growth factor-beta 2 levels in aqueous humor of glaucomatous eyesM Inatani
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 239:109-13. 2001..characteristics are correlated with increased levels of transforming growth factor-beta 2 (TGF-beta 2) in aqueous humor in glaucomatous eyes. METHODS: Aqueous humor samples were collected from 91 glaucomatous eyes...
- Alterations in the intraocular cytokine milieu after intravitreal bevacizumabFarzin Forooghian
Clinical Trials Branch, Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Applications, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1204, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:2388-92. 2010..The etiology of these complications remains unclear. The purpose of this study was to characterize changes in the intraocular levels of inflammatory cytokines after IVB as a possible explanation for these complications...
- Inflammatory mediators of uveitis: cytokines and chemokinesS John Curnow
Institute of Biomedical Research, Division of Immunity and Infection, Medical School, The University of Birmingham, UK
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 17:532-7. 2006..Recent developments in cytokine and chemokine detection have overcome many of these problems. This review presents a summary of the technologic advances in this area...
- Distinct cytokine and chemokine profiles in the aqueous of patients with uveitis and cystoid macular edemaBram van Kooij
F C Donders Institute of Ophthalmology, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Ophthalmol 142:192-4. 2006To investigate the global cytokine and chemokine expression pattern in the aqueous humor of uveitis patients and relate them to clinical features.
- Proteomic analysis of human cataract aqueous humour: Comparison of one-dimensional gel LCMS with two-dimensional LCMS of unlabelled and iTRAQ®-labelled specimensKeiryn L Bennett
Center for Molecular Medicine of the Austrian Academy of Sciences CeMM, Vienna, Austria
J Proteomics 74:151-66. 2011..Complementary to molecular function, the predominant biological processes for the proteins in aqueous humour are assigned to inflammatory and immune responses, and transport...
- Gene expression of the neurotrophic pigment epithelium-derived factor in the human ciliary epithelium. Synthesis and secretion into the aqueous humorJ Ortego
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 37:2759-67. 1996..To study the expression of the neurotrophic pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF), a protein with neurotrophic and neuronal-survival activities, by the human ocular ciliary epithelium...
- Acute versus chronic effects of brimonidine on aqueous humor dynamics in ocular hypertensive patientsC B Toris
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198 5540, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 128:8-14. 1999To report the acute vs chronic effects of brimonidine, a selective alpha2-adrenergic receptor agonist, on aqueous humor dynamics in ocular hypertensive patients.
- Proteomics of the aqueous humor in healthy New Zealand rabbitsMiroslava Stastna
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Proteomics Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Proteomics 7:4358-75. 2007There are several physiological roles postulated for aqueous humor, a liquid located in the anterior and posterior chamber of the eye, such as maintenance of the intraocular pressure, provision of nutrients, and removal of metabolic ..
- Transforming growth factor beta 2 levels in the aqueous humor in different types of glaucoma and the relation to filtering bleb developmentG Picht
Department of Ophthalmology, , Josef Schneider Strasse 11, , Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 239:199-207. 2001..To investigate the transforming growth factor beta 2 (TGF-beta 2) levels and total protein levels in the aqueous humor of eyes with different types of glaucoma [primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG), pseudoexfoliation glaucoma (PSX),..
- Increased vascular endothelial growth factor levels in aqueous humor and serum of patients with quiescent uveitisM P Paroli
Uveitis Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Policlinico Umberto I University Hospital, Roma, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 17:938-42. 2007..Both substances have been suggested to play a key role in uveitis pathogenesis. The authors analyzed VEGF and IL-8 levels in the aqueous humor and serum of patients with different types of uveitis during a quiet phase of the disease.
- Intraocular cytokine environment in active Behçet uveitisJae Kyoun Ahn
Department of Ophthalmology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 142:429-34. 2006To determine cytokine profiles in aqueous humor and peripheral blood from patients with Behçet uveitis.
- Giant vacuole survival time and implications for aqueous humor outflowH S Brilakis
Department of Ophthalmology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Glaucoma 10:277-83. 2001..This suggests that they can respond rapidly to intraocular pressure changes and thus can serve as markers of aqueous pressure differences across the inner and outer walls of Schlemm's canal...
- New perspectives in aqueous humor secretion and in glaucoma: the ciliary body as a multifunctional neuroendocrine glandMiguel Coca-Prados
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Prog Retin Eye Res 26:239-62. 2007..glutamate-metabolizing enzymes, and anti-angiogenic factors requires a reevaluation of its function on aqueous humor secretion, intraocular pressure and its role in glaucoma...
- Membrane Fas ligand activates innate immunity and terminates ocular immune privilegeMeredith S Gregory
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Immunol 169:2727-35. 2002..The higher threshold is due to the suppressive microenvironment found within aqueous humor that blocks membrane FasL activation of neutrophils...
- Aqueous humor levels of vasoactive molecules correlate with vitreous levels and macular edema in central retinal vein occlusionHidetaka Noma
Department of Ophthalmology, Yachiyo Medical Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Chiba, Japan
Eur J Ophthalmol 20:402-9. 2010..We investigated whether aqueous and vitreous levels of these molecules were correlated in CRVO patients...
- Characterization of soluble guanylate cyclase in NO-induced increases in aqueous humor outflow facility and in the trabecular meshworkDorette Z Ellis
Department of Pharmacodynamics, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:1808-13. 2009Nitric oxide (NO) increases the rate at which aqueous humor exits the eye; however, the involvement of soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC) is unknown...
- Effect of intravitreal bevacizumab injection on aqueous humor cytokine levels in clinically significant macular edemaMi In Roh
The Institute of Vision Research, Department of Ophthalmology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Ophthalmology 116:80-6. 2009To determine the effect of intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin, Genentech, Inc., San Francisco, CA) injection on aqueous humor cytokine levels in clinically significant macular edema (CSME).
- Specific antibody levels in the aqueous humor and serum of two distinct populations of patients with ocular toxoplasmosisJustus G Garweg
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bern, Inselspital, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Int J Med Microbiol 295:287-95. 2005..Paired samples of aqueous humor and serum were withdrawn from 27 Brazilian and 50 Swiss patients presenting consecutively with active ocular ..
- Primary trabecular meshwork cells incubated in human aqueous humor differ from cells incubated in serum supplementsMichael P Fautsch
Department of Ophthalmology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2848-56. 2005To determine whether aqueous humor, the in vivo source of nutrients for trabecular meshwork cells, alters cellular and molecular characteristics in primary trabecular monolayer cell cultures when compared with standard culture conditions.
- Cytokine profiles in aqueous humor of patients with different clinical entities of endogenous uveitisAhmed M Abu El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Old Airport Road, PO Box 245, Riyadh 11411, Saudi Arabia
Clin Immunol 139:177-84. 2011We assayed aqueous humor (AH) samples from patients with Behçet's disease (BD), Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada (VKH) disease, and HLA-B27-associated uveitis and control patients for the proinflammatory cytokines IL-15, IL-17, interferon-γ and ..
- [Aqueous humor and serum interleukin-6 in patients with uveitis]M Santos Lacomba
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Hospital Universitario Reina Sofía de Córdoba, Espana
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 76:345-50. 2001..A study on local and systemic behavior of interleukin-6 in patients with active uveitis...
- Aqueous humor outflow: what do we know? Where will it lead us?Michael P Fautsch
Department of Ophthalmology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:4181-7. 2006
- Regulation of myosin light chain phosphorylation in the trabecular meshwork: role in aqueous humour outflow facilityP Vasantha Rao
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3802, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Exp Eye Res 80:197-206. 2005....
- Elevated serum IL-23 correlates with intraocular inflammation after cataract surgery in patients with Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada diseaseShuhong Jiang
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510060, People s Republic of China
Br J Ophthalmol 94:1078-82. 2010..This study was designed to investigate the role of IL-17-producing T helper (Th17) cell-related pro-inflammatory cytokines on postoperative inflammation in VKH patients...
- Suppression of Ocular Scarring - Controlled Delivery of an ALK-5 InhibitorHiroshi Nakamura; Fiscal Year: 2013..For successful IOP reduction, maintaining filtering blebs, which consist of the subconjunctival space where aqueous humor is drained into after GFS, is a key...
- Role of endothelin receptors in glaucomatous optic neuropathyRaghu R Krishnamoorthy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both POAG and NTG patients show elevation of endothelin-1 (ET-1), a potent vasoactive peptide, in their aqueous humor and circulation respectively...
- Differentiation of Cord Blood Mesenchymal Stem Cells to Corneal EndotheliumNancy C Joyce; Fiscal Year: 2010..with lens epithelial cells;cultured in HCEC- conditioned medium or co-cultured with HCEC;and then cultured in aqueous humor. The effect of these culture conditions on MSCs will be followed by identifying changes in characteristics ..
- Role of Biophysical Cues in the Pathogenesis of GlaucomaPaul Russell; Fiscal Year: 2013..An increase in rigidity of the HTM cells might lead to increased resistance to aqueous humor outflow...
- Transscleral Transport & Polymeric Delivery of Antibody & Steroids for Macular EdAshim K Mitra; Fiscal Year: 2010..fluids and tissue homogenates including retina/choroid, lens, iris-ciliary body, sclera, vitreous humor and aqueous humor (3) to determine enzymatic stability of steroids, their peptide prodrugs and bevacizumab (i) alone, (ii) ..
- Role of trabecular meshwork contractility in modulating outflow resistanceCHEE HIAN TAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..His postdoctoral research was in trabecular meshwork and aqueous humor cell biology and physiology with respect to glaucoma...
- Ocular Oxygen Metabolism and the Etiology of Open Angle GlaucomaCarla J Siegfried; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will map pO2 levels and measure aqueous humor antioxidants and outflow facility at each stage...
- BIOLOGY OF TRABECULAR RESPONSE TO LASER TRABECULOPLASTYTed S Acott; Fiscal Year: 2012..our recent results with this system, our focus now is to identify the molecular component(s) that comprise the aqueous humor outflow resistance and regulate IOP...
- Development Of An Eye Drop To Treat PresbyopiaWilliam H Garner; Fiscal Year: 2012..a topical ocular formulation of our co-drug to achieve therapeutic levels of active agent in the rabbit aqueous humor without adversely affecting cornea health and lens metabolism...
- Characterization of purified myocilin: glaucoma as a protein misfolding diseaseRaquel L Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pressure is controlled in the anterior region of the eye, within the anatomical pathway for outflow of aqueous humor, called the trabecular extracellular meshwork (TEM)...
- Autophagic Lysosomal Pathway and GlaucomaPALOMA LITON; Fiscal Year: 2013..from several laboratories, including ours, support a key role of reactive oxygen species, both present in the aqueous humor as well as generated during the normal aging process within the outflow pathway, in the pathogenesis of ..
- Role of ER Stress in the Pathogenesis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaGULAB ZODE; Fiscal Year: 2013..intraocular pressure (IOP) due to failure of the trabecular meshwork (TM) to maintain normal levels of aqueous humor outflow...
- BMP Regulation of TGF-b2 in the Trabecular MeshworkRobert J Wordinger; Fiscal Year: 2012..In primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG), elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) is often attributed to diminished aqueous humor (AH) outflow facility caused by accumulation of extracellular matrix material (ECM) in the juxtacanicular ..
- Cellular Physiology of the Aqueous Outflow PathwayHaiyan Gong; Fiscal Year: 2013..of primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG) is elevation of the intraocular pressure (IOP), resulting from a rise in aqueous humor outflow resistance. To date, the cause of this elevated resistance in POAG remains unknown...
- Glucose monitoring using polarized lightGerard L Cote; Fiscal Year: 2010..of coupling light in and out of the eye and measure the in vivo equilibration time delay between blood and aqueous humor glucose levels...
- External Glaucoma Drainage DeviceBruce Klitzman; Fiscal Year: 2012..To circumvent many of the problems with existing procedures, we propose a novel GDD that drains aqueous humor externally;and thereby, avoids fibrous capsule formation over the outlet end of the device...
- MicroRNA-directed modulation of intraocular pressureBenjamin R tenOever; Fiscal Year: 2013..medical treatments are usually inadequate and do not target the conventional outflow pathway;the main route of aqueous humor egress and the site of extra resistance in POAG patients with elevated IOP...
- Determining Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of GlaucomaKAYARAT SAIDAS NAIR; Fiscal Year: 2013..This results in inefficient aqueous humor exits, thereby causing high intraocular pressure (IOP) and glaucoma...
- Aqueous Humor Dynamic Components that Determine Intraocular Pressure VarianceSayoko E Moroi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our central hypothesis is that individual aqueous humor dynamic components predict IOP response to medications...
- Trabecular Meshwork Cytoskeletal Signaling-Regulation of Aqueous Humor OutflowP Vasantha Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..and is commonly associated with elevation of intraocular pressure (IOP) resulting from increased resistance to aqueous humor (AH) outflow through the trabecular meshwork (TM) and Schlemm's canal (SC)...
- Long-Acting Mucus-Penetrating Steroid Particles for Treatment of Eye InflammationHongming Chen; Fiscal Year: 2011..Aim 2, we will demonstrate that a single instillation of PA MPP will maintain drug concentration in rabbit aqueous humor for 12 h above that of PRED MILD(R) at 6 h (based on PRED MILD(R) at 4W/day)...
- Oxidative Stress and Lysosomal Function in the Outflow PathwayPALOMA LITON; Fiscal Year: 2009..pressure (IOP) that results from the failure of the conventional outflow pathway to maintain normal levels of aqueous humor (AH) outflow resistance...
- Control of Trabecular Meshwork CytoskeletonDonna M Peters; Fiscal Year: 2011..They are commonly associated with elevated levels of intraocular pressure (IOP) due to a reduction in aqueous humor outflow from the trabecular meshwork (TM)...
- Retinal Laser Burn Abolishes Ocular Immunity PrivilegeKenyatta G Lucas; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will use knowledge from previous studies that detail components (Aqueous humor, F4/80+ Antigen presenting cells and T-regulatory cells) of the immune system important for ocular immune ..
- PRESSURE REGULATION OF HUMAN TRABECULAR MESHWORK GENESTERESA BORRAS; Fiscal Year: 2012..In humans, 90% of the aqueous humor exits the eye through the trabecular meshwork (TM)...
- Glucocorticoids, ocular hypertension, and glaucomaThomas Yorio; Fiscal Year: 2013..similar to POAG, and GC effects on the trabecular meshwork (TM), the tissue responsible for regulating aqueous humor outflow (and therefore IOP), mimic many of the molecular and biochemical changes that occur in POAG...
- METABOLISM OF THE TRABECULAR MESHWORKDavid L Epstein; Fiscal Year: 2011..acts to negatively modulate the stress-induced induction of TGF-beta1 and IL-6, thereby causing an increase in aqueous humor outflow resistance...
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The cause of the elevated aqueous humor outflow resistance associated with primary open angle glaucoma (POAG) is unknown...
- Study of Aqueous Humor Dynamics in a Pediatric PopulationVikas Gulati; Fiscal Year: 2013..development award to obtain training in the techniques involved in the assessment of human and vertebrate aqueous humor dynamics...
- sGCa1-deficient mice: a novel murine model of elevated IOP and glaucomaBruce R Ksander; Fiscal Year: 2012..Elevated intraocular pressure (IOP), determined by the balance between aqueous humor secretion and aqueous humor outflow, is considered an important risk factor for glaucoma...
- Hypothalamic Control of IOP, ICP, and the Translaminar Pressure GradientBRIAN CHRISTOPHER SAMUELS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim #1 will include training in fluorophotometric analysis of aqueous humor production and in vivo recording of outflow facility immediately following chemical stimulation of the DMH/PeF ..
- Real time imaging of the aqueous outflow pathway by two-photon endoscopyHiroshi Nakamura; Fiscal Year: 2009..intraocular pressure of primary open angle glaucoma is related to an increased resistance to the outflow of aqueous humor. The precise location of the resistance and the mechanisms by which aqueous humor outflow is impaired, however,..
- CORE GRANT FOR VISION RESEARCHOscar A Candia; Fiscal Year: 2011..Areas of active research include glaucoma;cataracts;corneal diseases;comeal repair and immunology;aqueous humor dynamics;fluid and electrolyte transport in cornea, lens and ciliary epithelium;role of membrane receptors in ..
- Restoration of Trabecular Meshwork by hMSC and Induced Pluripotent Stem CellsMARY JANE KELLEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..By culturing with aqueous humor, ECM components, different media preparations, and/or other agents, we will alter the local milieu of the stem ..
- Mechanisms of Aqueous Humor Homeostasis -- Role of MonocytesJorge A Alvarado; Fiscal Year: 2013..interact with SCE cells in a paracrine manner, thus forming a cellular module that regulates the outflow of aqueous humor. The specific aims are to test particular predictions of this hypothesis about the roles of monocytes by:  ..
- Extracellular Matrix and Outflow ResistanceKate E Keller; Fiscal Year: 2013..Elevated IOP is caused by increased resistance to aqueous humor outflow through the trabecular meshwork (TM)...
- A Fluorescence-based Optomechanical Sensor for Intraocular Pressure MonitoringNIKOLAOS CHRONIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..range, precision error, etc) will be established in vitro by immersing the NIFO sensor into a bath filled with aqueous humor. 2) Construction of the Optical Readout System (ORS)...
- Identifying a Disease Gene Causing Primary Open Angle GlaucomaRachel W Kuchtey; Fiscal Year: 2012..Based on our preliminary results, we project that the gene will be novel and involved in aqueous humor outflow regulation.
- VERTEBRATE EYE: STUDIES OF AQUEOUS OUTFLOWTed S Acott; Fiscal Year: 2012..An obstruction to aqueous humor outflow, primarily through the trabecular meshwork (TM), produces elevated intraocular pressure (IOP), which ..
- Novel emulsion-based formulation of the anti-glaucoma MSH-1001 for improved topicRonald A Wassel; Fiscal Year: 2011..project is to demonstrate that an emulsion based eye drop can deliver therapeutic levels of MSH-100, to the aqueous humor with the long term goal (Phase 2) of reducing intraocular pressure in an appropriate animal model of ocular ..
- The Retroject Device: A Novel Approach to Glaucoma Drug DeliveryMolly McCarthy Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2013..IOP and aqueous humor outflow facility will be evaluated to determine the effect of the injection on these parameters...
- Aqueous Humor Outflow Control and Intraocular PressureMORTIMER MORDECAI CIVAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..IOP depends directly on inflow rate and resistance to outflow of aqueous humor, and available data suggest that A3 and A1 receptors likely modulate inflow and outflow, respectively...
- Crystallin-Derived Mini-Chaperones as Protein Aggregation InhibitorsKrishna K Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2011..the protein myocilin misfolds and aggregates in the trabecular meshwork, interfering with the outflow of aqueous humor and causing elevated intraocular pressure...
- SOLUTE TRANSPORT MECHANISMS IN THE CILIARY BODYNicholas A Delamere; Fiscal Year: 2013..established by Na, K-ATPase in the nonpigmented ciliary epithelium (NPE) are vital to the secretion of aqueous humor. We seek to understand the mechanisms that control Na,K-ATPase activity...
- HYDROGEN SULFIDE-RELEASING COMPOUNDS AND IOP REGULATIONYa Fatou Njie-Mbye; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this proposed study, we hypothesize that H2S-releasing compounds can regulate IOP and aqueous humor dynamics by an effect that is mediated via conventional and/ uveoscleral pathways...
- Targeting the Anterior Segment with Homing Peptides from Phage DisplayDonna M Peters; Fiscal Year: 2013..They are commonly associated with elevated levels of intraocular pressure (IOP) due to a reduction in aqueous humor outflow from the TM...
- Proteomic Biomarkers for AMDJohn W Crabb; Fiscal Year: 2013..In aim 2, we will test the hypothesis that the aqueous humor (AH) proteome offers new insights to AMD mechanisms and biomarkers...
- Integrin Signaling in the Trabecular MeshworkDonna M Peters; Fiscal Year: 2012..They are commonly associated with elevated levels of intraocular pressure (IOP) due to a reduction in aqueous humor outflow from the trabecular meshwork (TM)...
- Mechanical Interaction between Aqueous Humor and IrisVictor Barocas; Fiscal Year: 2009..The computational studies will involve extension of our previous models of the aqueous humor- iris system to include the following: dynamic active tension of the iris sphincter (already included in ..
- Cannabinoid Receptors and Novel Antiglaucoma DrugsZhao Hui Song; Fiscal Year: 2010..cannabinoid receptors are expressed on the trabecular meshwork (TM) cells, and cannabinoid agonists enhance aqueous humor outflow through both CB1 and CB2 receptors...
- GPR119: A novel means to lower intraocular pressure?ALEXANDER J STRAIKER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Notably, GPR119 is expressed prominently in the trabecular meshwork, responsible for outflow of aqueous humor. Preliminary functional experiments show that OEA reduces intraocular pressure (IOP) by 30% in the mouse...
- IN VIVO INHIBITORS OF OCULAR PROSTAGLANDIN SYNTHESISSTEVEN PODOS; Fiscal Year: 1980..Arachidonic acid, a precursor of PGE2, elevates intraocular pressure and aqueous humor protein when applied topically...
- Protection of Ocular Tissues During InflammationMELVIN MEDOF; Fiscal Year: 2006..grant cycle, we showed that functionally active soluble forms of the molecules are present in tears and aqueous humor, and obtained evidence that changes in the cell-associated regulators are clinically relevant in ocular ..
- HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IN AQUEOUS HUMORSIXTO GARCIA CASTINEIRAS; Fiscal Year: 1990Hydrogen peroxide has been found in the aqueous humor of several animal species including man, at the low uM level (5 to 90 uM)...
- EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX IN GLAUCOMAPAUL KNEPPER; Fiscal Year: 2002..A key question in POAG is to identify cell factors that would adversely affect 1) normal aqueous humor outflow, 2) optic nerve function, and 3) glaucoma surgery...
- ADRENERGIC & CHOLINERGIC MECHANISMS IN GLAUCOMA THERAPYJON POLANSKY; Fiscal Year: 1993..it has not been possible to study drug effects directly on the target cells involved in the regulation of aqueous humor inflow and outflow...
- Redefining the Model of the Blood-Aqueous BarrierThomas Freddo; Fiscal Year: 2005In the existing model of the blood-aqueous barrier (BAB), elevations in the very low levels of protein in the aqueous humor are attributed to increased permeability of the tight junctions in the iris vasculature and ciliary epithelium...
- FACTORS DETERMINING INTRAOCULAR PRESSURESimon John; Fiscal Year: 2001..They occur in the ciliary epithelium that produces the ocular fluid (aqueous humor) and in cells of the aqueous humor drainage (outflow) pathway...
- OCULAR ACTIONS OF ENDOTHELINSThomas Yorio; Fiscal Year: 2005..Recently, it has been shown that patients with primary open angle glaucoma (POAG) have an elevation in their aqueous humor endothelin (ET) concentrations...
- ANTERIOR CHAMBER FLUID ACETYLCHOLINE CONCENTRATIONJonathan Wirtschafter; Fiscal Year: 1980The origin(s), fate, and physiologic actions of endogenous acetylcholine (ACh) in the aqueous humor are little understood but may be important, particularly since cholinergic drugs are used to reduce intraocular pressure in glaucoma...
- REGULATION OF TRABECULAR CELL GLYCOPROTEINSJohn Samples; Fiscal Year: 1991..glaucoma is a common, insidious ophthalmic disorder characterized by an increased resistance to outflow of aqueous humor. Extracellular matrix (ECM) has been implicated as a major component of the barrier outflow...
- NEUROIMMUNOMODULATION WITHIN THE EYEAndrew Taylor; Fiscal Year: 1999..To demonstrate the activity of the neuropeptides with TGF-beta in the eye, the effects of normal aqueous humor. which contains the immunoregulatory cytokines produced in the eye, on effector T-cell activities will be ..
- DRUG METABOLISM IN THE EYEHitoshi Shichi; Fiscal Year: 2001..higher susceptibility of anterior tissues to drug toxicity than posterior tissues is not well understood but aqueous humor production and drug metabolizing activities associated with ciliary body appear to be important factors...
- ION AND WATER TRANSPORT IN CILIARY EPITHELIUMNASSER FARAHBAKHSH; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: The eye relies on the aqueous humor for nutrition of the cornea, lens, vitreous and trabecular meshwork, as well as the removal of the waste products of metabolism from these tissues...
- BIOLOGY OF TRABECULAR MESHWORK IN HEALTH AND DISEASEBEATRICE YUE; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION: The trabecular meshwork (TM) is a major site for regulation of the aqueous humor outflow. Cells in the TM are essential for maintenance of the normal aqueous outflow...