Genomes and Genes
Summary: A light-sensitive neuroendocrine organ attached to the roof of the THIRD VENTRICLE of the brain. The pineal gland secretes MELATONIN, other biogenic amines, and neuropeptides.
Publications233 found, 100 shown here
- Moonlight affects nocturnal Period2 transcript levels in the pineal gland of the reef fish Siganus guttatusNozomi Sugama
Sesoko Station, Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus, Motobu, Okinawa, Japan
J Pineal Res 45:133-41. 2008..in rabbitfish Per2 (rfPer2) expression as well as the effect of light and moonlight on its expression in the pineal gland. The partially-cloned rfPer2 cDNA (2933 bp) was highly homologous (72%) to zebrafish Per2...
- Pineal projections in the zebrafish (Danio rerio): overlap with retinal and cerebellar projectionsJ Yanez
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of A Coruna, Campus da Zapateira, E 15008 A Coruña, Spain
Neuroscience 164:1712-20. 2009....
- Cloning and expression of arylalkylamine N-acetyltranferase-2 during early development and metamorphosis in the sole Solea senegalensisEsther Isorna
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias del Mar y Ambientales, Universidad de Cadiz, E 11510, Puerto Real, Espana, Spain
Gen Comp Endocrinol 161:97-102. 2009..These studies allowed us to demonstrate a specific signal in the pineal gland of sole larvae from 2 days post-fertilization (dpf), which was evident until post-metamorphosis...
- Novel functions for Period 3 and Exo-rhodopsin in rhythmic transcription and melatonin biosynthesis within the zebrafish pineal organLain X Pierce
Department of Genetics, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Brain Res 1223:11-24. 2008..This work identifies novel roles for Exorh and Per3, and gives insight into potential interactions between the sensory and circadian systems within the pineal...
- Parapinopsin, a novel catfish opsin localized to the parapineal organ, defines a new gene familyS Blackshaw
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Neuroscience, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Neurosci 17:8083-92. 1997..These data imply that phototransduction in these sites of extraretinal photoreception must be mediated by novel opsins...
- A novel rod-like opsin isolated from the extra-retinal photoreceptors of teleost fishA R Philp
Department of Biology, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
FEBS Lett 468:181-8. 2000..We speculate that the differences between retinal rod-opsins and ERrod-like opsins have arisen from their differing photosensory roles and/or genetic drift after the gene duplication event in the Triassic...
- MRI of pineal region tumorsY Korogi
Department of Radiology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
J Neurooncol 54:251-61. 2001The pineal region is a heterogeneous area that includes the pineal gland and several parapineal structures...
- Application of a novel micro-injector in the determination of indole derivatives in the rat pineal gland by capillary electrophoresis with electrochemical detectionG Chen
Department of Chemistry, Medical Center of Fudan University, Shanghai, PR China
Fresenius J Anal Chem 370:930-4. 2001..for example melatonin (MT), serotonin (5-HT), tryptophan (Trp), and 5-hydroxy-tryptophane (5-HTrp) in the rat pineal gland by capillary electrophoresis with electrochemical detection (CE-EC). CE was performed in 0...
- The role of PACAP in the control of circadian expression of clock genes in the chicken pineal glandAndras D Nagy
Department of Anatomy, Medical School, University of Pecs, H 7624 Pecs, Szigeti ut 12, Hungary
Peptides 28:1767-74. 2007Several features of the molecular circadian oscillator of the chicken pineal gland show homology with those in the mammalian SCN...
- Microsurgical management of pineal region lesions: personal experience with 119 patientsJuha Hernesniemi
Department of Neurosurgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, 00260 Helsinki, Finland
Surg Neurol 70:576-83. 2008..We present the surgical approaches and techniques in a consecutive series of 119 patients treated by the senior author (J.H.) between 1980 and 2007 at 2 different neurosurgical university centers in Kuopio and Helsinki, Finland...
- Delayed lateral rectus palsy following resection of a pineal cyst in sitting position: direct or indirect compressive phenomenon?Qualls E Stevens
Section of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Bromenn Regional Medical Center, Normal, Illinois, USA
J Child Neurol 22:1411-4. 2007..This patient's symptoms manifested in a delayed fashion. Although uncommon, this complication should be considered in patients undergoing cranial or spinal surgical interventions in this position...
- Expression of protein gene product 9.5, tyrosine hydroxylase and serotonin in the pineal gland of rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetesMang Hung Tsai
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 404, Taiwan
Neurosci Res 60:233-43. 2008..This study was undertaken to examine the structure, innervation and functional activity of the pineal gland in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetes in rats by immunohistochemistry, Western blotting and image analysis...
- The circadian system of reptiles: a multioscillatory and multiphotoreceptive systemG Tosini
Neuroscience Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, 720 Westview Drive, SW, Atlanta, GA 30310 1495, USA
Physiol Behav 72:461-71. 2001..Another remarkable feature of this class is the redundancy of circadian photoreceptors: retinas of the lateral eyes, pineal, parietal eye, and the brain all contain photoreceptors...
- Circadian organization and the role of the pineal in birdsH Underwood
Department of Zoology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Microsc Res Tech 53:48-62. 2001....
- Circadian and photic regulation of MAP kinase by Ras- and protein phosphatase-dependent pathways in the chick pineal glandY Hayashi
Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
FEBS Lett 491:71-5. 2001..Here we report that, in the chick pineal gland, levels of active forms of MAPK, MEK, Raf-1 and Ras exhibited synchronous circadian rhythms with peaks during ..
- Adrenoceptor expression and diurnal rhythms of melatonin and its precursors in the pineal gland of type 2 diabetic goto-kakizaki ratsAndreas Gunter Bach
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Grosse Steinstrasse 52, 06097 Halle Saale, Germany
Endocrinology 151:2483-93. 2010..expressed than in Wistar rats, 2) the formation of 5-hydroxytryptophan is crucially impaired, and 3) the pineal gland protein content is significantly reduced compared with that in Wistar rats...
- Induction of photosensitivity in neonatal rat pineal glandG Tosini
Neuroscience Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine, 720 Westview Drive, SW, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:11540-4. 2000..We hypothesize that a mechanism to suppress pineal photosensitivity by using NE released from sympathetic nerve endings evolved early in the history of mammals...
- Circadian binding activity of AP-1, a regulator of the arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase gene in the rat pineal gland, depends on circadian Fra-2, c-Jun, and Jun-D expression and is regulated by the clock's zeitgebersF Guillaumond
INSERM U501, Institut Federatif Jean Roche, Faculte de Medecine Nord, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
J Neurochem 75:1398-407. 2000..is driven by a circadian rhythm in the expression of the arylalkylamine N:-acetyltransferase gene in the rat pineal gland. Turning off expression of this gene at the end of night is believed to involve inhibitory transcription ..
- Pineal region tumor: surgical anatomy and approachI Yamamoto
Department of Neurosurgery, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
J Neurooncol 54:263-75. 2001..Considerations important in selecting one of these surgical approaches are reviewed from the anatomical viewpoint...
- Surgical approaches to pineal region tumorsK M Little
Division of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27609, USA
J Neurooncol 54:287-99. 2001..A review of other approaches, pertinent historical remarks, and a discussion of the role of surgery in the contemporary management of pineal region tumors are presented...
- Daily oscillation of gene expression in the retina is phase-advanced with respect to the pineal glandLin Bai
Department of Molecular and Cellular Anatomy, RWTH Aachen, Wendlingweg 2, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Brain Res 1203:89-96. 2008The photoreceptive retina and the non-photoreceptive pineal gland are components of the circadian and the melatonin forming system in mammals...
- Pineal organs of deep-sea fish: photopigments and structureJames K Bowmaker
Division of Visual Science, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, EC1V 9EL, UK
J Exp Biol 207:2379-87. 2004..In one species of hatchet fish, Argyropelecus affinis, two spectral classes of pinealocyte were identified, both spectrally distinct from the retinal rod photopigment...
- The pineal gland and anxiogenic-like action of fluoxetine in miceTolga Uz
The Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1601 West Taylor Street, MC912, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Neuroreport 15:691-4. 2004..Behavioral responses to psychoactive drugs can be modified by the pineal gland. We assessed the actions of fluoxetine in the EPM in melatonin-proficient C3H mice, melatonin-deficient C57BL6 ..
- Retinal illumination phase shifts the circadian rhythm of serotonin N-acetyltransferase activity in the chicken pineal glandJolanta B Zawilska
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of Łódź, Łódź, 90 151, Poland
Neurosci Lett 360:153-6. 2004The pineal gland of birds, in contrast to its mammalian counterpart, is a directly photosensitive organ...
- Opsin photoisomerases in the chick retina and pineal gland: characterization, localization, and circadian regulationMichael J Bailey
Center for Biological Clocks Research, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:769-75. 2004The chick retina and pineal gland exhibit circadian oscillations in biochemical and physiological processes in vivo and in vitro, which entrain to 24-hour light-dark cycles...
- Germinoma of the pineal glandS C Mohanty
Neurol India 51:286-7. 2003
- Fos-related antigen 2 (Fra-2) memorizes photoperiod in the rat pineal glandL Engel
Department of Anatomy, Johannes Gutenberg University, Saarstrasse 19 21, D 55099 Mainz, Germany
Neuroscience 132:511-8. 2005..hypothesis that Fra-2 expression is photoperiod-dependent and may be involved in imprinting photoperiod on the pineal gland and the body as a whole...
- Hypothalamic circadian organization in birds. II. Clock gene expressionUte Abraham
Max-Planck Research Centre for Ornithology, Andechs, Germany
Chronobiol Int 20:657-69. 2003..indicating that rhythmic pPer2 transcription in the SCN and LHN of the house sparrow are not driven by the pineal gland. Rather, they reflect the activity of autonomous hypothalamic circadian oscillators...
- Bimodal circadian secretion of melatonin from the pineal gland in a living CBA mouseDaiichiro Nakahara
Department of Psychology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handayama, Hamamatsu 431 3192, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:9584-9. 2003..long-term monitoring of melatonin secretion by implanting a transverse microdialysis probe in or near the pineal gland in a freely moving mouse...
- Melanopsin expression in the chick retina and pineal glandMichael J Bailey
Center for Biological Clocks Research, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 3258, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 134:345-8. 2005The chick retina and pineal gland exhibit circadian oscillations in biochemical and physiological processes in vivo and in vitro and entrain to 24 h LD cycles...
- Development of the circadian melatonin rhythm and its responsiveness to PACAP in the embryonic chicken pineal glandN Faluhelyi
Department of Anatomy, University of Pecs Medical School, and the Neurohumoral Regulations Research Group of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Hungary
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1040:305-9. 2005..2) Exposure of the embryonic chicken pineal gland to PACAP induces a transitory increase in MT secretion and (3) a transitory increase in cyclic AMP efflux at or ..
- Temporal-spatial characterization of chicken clock genes: circadian expression in retina, pineal gland, and peripheral tissuesNelson W Chong
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Glenfield General Hospital, Clinical Sciences Wing, University of Leicester, Leicester LE3 9QP, UK
J Neurochem 85:851-60. 2003..In two tissues which contain endogenous clocks--the pineal gland and retina--circadian fluctuations of both cBmal1 and cMOP4 mRNAs were observed to be synchronous; highest ..
- The rat pineal gland comprises an endocannabinoid systemMarco Koch
Institut für Anatomie II, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Pineal Res 45:351-60. 2008In the mammalian pineal gland, the rhythm in melatonin biosynthesis depends on the norepinephrine (NE)-driven regulation of arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase (AANAT), the penultimate enzyme of melatonin biosynthesis...
- Mechanisms regulating the marked seasonal variation in melatonin synthesis in the European hamster pineal glandMarie-Laure Garidou
Neurobiologie des Rythmes, , , 67000 Strasbourg, France
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1043-52. 2003..The possibility that the variation in pineal metabolism depends on a seasonal change in the suprachiasmatic nuclei clock circadian activity that is transmitted by norepinephrine is discussed...
- Melatonin synthesis and melatonin-membrane receptor (MT1) expression during rat thymus development: role of the pineal glandSilvia Jimenez-Jorge
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Seville School of Medicine and Virgen Macarena Hospital, Seville, Spain
J Pineal Res 39:77-83. 2005To gain insight into the relationship between thymus and pineal gland during rat development, the melatonin content as well as the activity and expression of the two key enzymes for melatonin biosynthesis, i.e...
- Role of photoperiod and the pineal gland in T cell-dependent humoral immune reactivity in the Siberian hamsterS M Yellon
Center for Perinatal Biology, Loma Linda University Medical Center, California 92350, USA
J Pineal Res 27:243-8. 1999..hypothesis that antibody production in response to xenoantigen is modulated by daylength and dependent upon the pineal gland. Alter injection of sheep erythrocytes (SRBC), serum immunoglobulin (Ig) concentrations were 5-fold lower in ..
- The circadian system of ruin lizards: a seasonally changing neuroendocrine loop?Augusto Foá
Dipartimento di Biologia e Centro di Neuroscienze, Universita degli Studi di Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Chronobiol Int 23:317-27. 2006..To test whether seasonal photoperiodic changes are decoded autonomously by the pineal gland, pineals explanted in summer were cultured in vitro and exposed to changes between winter and summer ..
- Melatonin synthesis in the human pineal gland: advantages, implications, and difficultiesKatrin Ackermann
Dr. Senckenbergische Anatomie, Institute of Anatomy III, University Frankfurt, Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Chronobiol Int 23:369-79. 2006..The best characterized function of the pineal gland is the nocturnally elevated synthesis of the hormone melatonin, which provides the body with the signal of the ..
- Management of pineal region tumorsJaishri O Blakeley
Brain Cancer Program, Johns Hopkins University, Cancer Research Building 2, 1550 Orleans Street, Suite 1M16, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 7:505-16. 2006..Patients with tectal gliomas may undergo excision with or without postoperative radiation; however, they also may be observed with vigilant follow-up alone...
- The avian pineal glandValer J Csernus
Department of Anatomy, University of Pecs, Medical School and Neurohumoral Regulations Research Group of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Pecs, Hungary
Chronobiol Int 23:329-39. 2006The pineal gland plays a key role in the control of the daily and seasonal rhythms in most vertebrate species...
- Immunocytochemical demonstration of rod-opsin, S-antigen, and neuron-specific proteins in the human pineal glandS K Huang
Institut für Anatomie und Zytobiologie, Justus Liebig Universitat, Giessen, Federal Republic of Germany
Cell Tissue Res 267:493-8. 1992....
- Circadian expression of transcription factor Fra-2 in the rat pineal glandR Baler
Section on Neuroendocrinology, Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 270:27319-25. 1995Physiological changes in Fos-like immunoreactivity in the rat pineal gland are shown here to be due primarily to changes in a 42/46-kDa Fos-related antigen (Fra)...
- Spectral sensitivity of melatonin suppression in the zebrafish pineal glandLimor Ziv
Department of Zoology, The George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Exp Eye Res 84:92-9. 2007The pineal gland of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) is a clock-containing photoreceptive organ...
- Photoperiodic information acquired and stored in vivo is retained in vitro by a circadian oscillator, the avian pineal glandR Brandstatter
Research Centre for Ornithology of the Max Planck Society, Von der Tann Strasse 7, D 82346 Erling Andechs, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:12324-8. 2000..during in vivo synchronization can be maintained as an internal representation of time within the isolated pineal gland. Hence, the pineal gland, as one of the most significant components of the songbird circadian pacemaker, not ..
- Histone H3 phosphorylation in the rat pineal gland: adrenergic regulation and diurnal variationC L Chik
Department of Physiology, 7 26 Medical Sciences Building, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H7
Endocrinology 148:1465-72. 2007In this study, we investigated phosphorylation of Ser10 in histone H3 by norepinephrine (NE) in the rat pineal gland. In whole-animal studies, we demonstrated a marked increase in histone H3 phosphorylation in the rat pineal gland during ..
- Melatonin synthesis: analysis of the more than 150-fold nocturnal increase in serotonin N-acetyltransferase messenger ribonucleic acid in the rat pineal glandP H Roseboom
Section on Neuroendocrinology, Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4480
Endocrinology 137:3033-45. 1996..We have discovered that expression of the AA-NAT gene in the rat pineal gland is essentially turned off during the day and turned on at night, resulting in a more than 150-fold rhythm...
- A median third eye: pineal gland retraces evolution of vertebrate photoreceptive organsHiroaki Mano
Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Japan
Photochem Photobiol 83:11-8. 2007In many vertebrates, the pineal gland serves as a photoreceptive neuroendocrine organ...
- Diurnal variation in mRNA encoding serotonin N-acetyltransferase in pineal glandJ Borjigin
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nature 378:783-5. 1995Formation of the pineal gland hormone melatonin increases markedly at night in response to light-dark environmental alterations...
- Day/night variation of tryptophan hydroxylase and serotonin N-acetyltransferase mRNA levels in the ovine pineal gland and retinaK Privat
INSERM U433, Faculté R Th Laënnec, Lyon, France
J Pineal Res 26:193-203. 1999In mammals, the photoperiodic information, received by the retina, is transmitted to the pineal gland. In both organs, melatonin is produced and functions as a neurohormone giving temporal information to the organism...
- Immunohistochemical characterization of a parapinopsin-containing photoreceptor cell involved in the ultraviolet/green discrimination in the pineal organ of the river lamprey Lethenteron japonicumEmi Kawano Yamashita
Graduate School of Humanities and Sciences, Nara Women s University, Nara, Japan
J Exp Biol 210:3821-9. 2007....
- Genetic, temporal and developmental differences between melatonin rhythm generating systems in the teleost fish pineal organ and retinaJ Falcon
Laboratoire Arago, UMR 7628, CNRS and University Pierre and Marie Curie, BP 44, F 66651 Banyuls sur Mer, France
J Neuroendocrinol 15:378-82. 2003..We review the fish pineal and retinal melatonin rhythm generating systems and consider the evolutional pressures and other factors which led to these differences...
- Retinopathy and attenuated circadian entrainment in Crx-deficient miceT Furukawa
Department of Genetics and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 23:466-70. 1999..homeobox gene, is expressed specifically in the photoreceptors of the retina and the pinealocytes of the pineal gland. Crx has been proposed to have a role in the regulation of photoreceptor-specific genes in the eye and of ..
- Circadian clock genes and photoperiodism: Comprehensive analysis of clock gene expression in the mediobasal hypothalamus, the suprachiasmatic nucleus, and the pineal gland of Japanese Quail under various light schedulesShinobu Yasuo
Division of Biomodeling, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8601, Japan
Endocrinology 144:3742-8. 2003..we show expression patterns of circadian clock genes in the MBH, putative suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), and pineal gland, which constitute the circadian pacemaker under various light schedules...
- Inflammation induces serine protease inhibitor 3 expression in the rat pineal glandA Takamiya
Department of Anatomy, Asahikawa Medical College, 2 1 Midorigaoka Higashi Asahikawa, Hokkaido 078 8510, Japan
Neuroscience 113:387-94. 2002In the rat pineal gland, prominent expression of serine protease inhibitor 3 (SPI-3) mRNA is seen after systemic injection of lipopolysaccharide. The up-regulation of SPI-3 mRNA expression is also confirmed by northern blotting...
- Effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on daily expression of per2 and dbp in the heart and liver and melatonin rhythm in the pineal gland of Wistar ratIveta Herichova
Department of Animal Physiology and Ethology, Comenius University Bratislava, Mlynska dolina, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Mol Cell Biochem 270:223-9. 2005..Changes in per2 and dbp expression in the heart and liver imply alterations in input pathway or peripheral oscillators with possible consequences on function of analysed organs...
- Avian melatonin synthesis: photic and circadian regulation of serotonin N-acetyltransferase mRNA in the chicken pineal gland and retinaM Bernard
Section on Neuroendocrinology, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurochem 68:213-24. 1997The circadian rhythms in melatonin production in the chicken pineal gland and retina reflect changes in the activity of serotonin N-acetyltransferase (arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase; AA-NAT; EC 188.8.131.52)...
- Effect of TNF-alpha on the melatonin synthetic pathway in the rat pineal gland: basis for a 'feedback' of the immune response on circadian timingPedro A C M Fernandes
Laboratory of Chronopharmacology, Departamento de Fisiologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Pineal Res 41:344-50. 2006..However, scant information on the feedback action of molecules present in the blood on the pineal gland during the time course of an inflammatory response is available...
- Time of origin of the rat pineal gland cells. A bromodeoxyuridine immunohistochemical studyJ L Calvo
Department of Histology, Faculty of Medicine, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Histol Histopathol 19:137-42. 2004..detection of bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU) was used to study the time of origin of the cells in the pineal gland of the rat...
- Microdialysis reveals dynamics of coupling between noradrenaline release and melatonin secretion in conscious ratsW J Drijfhout
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University Centre for Pharmacy, Groningen, Netherlands
Neurosci Lett 202:185-8. 1996The coupling between noradrenergic innervation of the pineal gland and melatonin production was investigated...
- Molecular cloning, mRNA expression, and immunocytochemical localization of a putative blue-light photoreceptor CRY4 in the chicken pineal glandYoko Kubo
Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurochem 97:1155-65. 2006In non-mammalian vertebrates, the pineal gland contains an endogenous circadian oscillator and serves as a photosensitive neuroendocrinal organ...
- A test of the coincidence and duration models of melatonin action in Siberian hamsters: the effects of 1-hr melatonin infusions on testicular development in intact and pinealectomized prepubertal Phodopus sungorusB Gunduz
Department of Biology, University of Delaware, Newark 19716, USA
J Pineal Res 30:97-107. 2001..photoperiod (LD10:14 = 10L) and raised in 16L; these results were independent of the presence or absence of the pineal gland. In animals gestated and raised in 10L, melatonin infusions failed to suppress testicular development beyond ..
- Increased vascular permeability and nitric oxide production in response to hypoxia in the pineal glandC Kaur
Department of Anatomy, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
J Pineal Res 42:338-49. 2007This study examined the factors that may be involved in altering the function of pineal gland in hypoxic conditions...
- Environmental control and adrenergic regulation of pineal activity in the diurnal tropical rodent, Arvicanthis ansorgeiMarie-Laure Garidou-Boof
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie des Rythmes, , Strasbourg, France
J Pineal Res 38:189-97. 2005..Seasonal and photoperiodic variations in the biosynthetic activity of the pineal gland: arylalkylamine-N-acetyltransferase (AA-NAT), hydroxyindole-O-methyltransferase (HIOMT) activities and ..
- Daily variation of melatonin content in the optic lobes of the crab Neohelice granulataFabio Everton Maciel
Programa de Pós Graduacão em Fisiologia Animal Comparada, Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Fundacao Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, Rio Grande RS, 96201 900 Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 149:162-6. 2008..In vertebrates melatonin is produced rhythmically in the pinealocytes of the pineal gland, relaying information of the environmental light/dark cycle to the organism...
- In vivo evidence for a controlled offset of melatonin synthesis at dawn by the suprachiasmatic nucleus in the ratS Perreau-Lenz
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, Meibergdreef 33, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 130:797-803. 2005The daily rhythm of melatonin synthesis in the rat pineal gland is controlled by the central biological clock, located in the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), via a multi-synaptic pathway involving, successively, neurones of the ..
- Ocular melatonin rhythms in teleost fishMasayuki Iigo
Department of Applied Biochemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Utsunomiya University, Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan
Brain Behav Evol 69:114-21. 2007..These results indicate that ocular melatonin rhythms in teleost fish exhibit species-specific variations as a result of the changes in the regulatory mechanisms during the course of evolution...
- [Photoperiodic control of melatonin synthesis in fish pineal and retina]Laurence Besseau
Laboratoire Arago, UPMC and CNRS, UMR 7628 GDR2821, Banyuls sur Mer, France
J Soc Biol 201:13-20. 2007..This review summarizes our current knowledge on the molecular and cellular mechanisms of the rhythmic control of production of an important circadian clock messenger, underlying their plasticity...
- Light/dark cycle-dependent metabolic changes in adipose tissue of pinealectomized ratsM I Alonso-Vale
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, , 1524 Prof. Lineu Prestes Ave, , Brazil
Horm Metab Res 36:474-9. 2004..We hypothesize that pinealectomy exposes the animal to an inadequate match between energy requirements and fuel mobilization...
- A new strain of rat for functional analysis of PINASamreen Ahmed
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Michigan Medical School, 7629 MS II, 1301 East Catherine Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0622, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 137:63-9. 2005..Linkage studies confirm that the NAT phenotype is entirely independent of PINA mutation in the pineal gland of LEC rats, and sequence analysis demonstrates that NAT defect is due to a point mutation in NAT coding region...
- The profile of melatonin production in tumour-bearing ratsAna Carolina Franco Ferreira
Laboratory of Metabolism, Department of Histology and Embryology, , Brazil
Life Sci 75:2291-302. 2004The pineal gland is involved in the regulation of tumour growth through the anticancer activity of melatonin, which presents immunomodulatory, anti-proliferative and anti-oxidant effects...
- Encoding time of day and time of year by the avian circadian systemR Brandstatter
Department of Biological Rhythms and Behaviour, Max Planck Research Centre for Ornithology, Von der Tann Strasse 7, D 82346 Andechs, Germany
J Neuroendocrinol 15:398-404. 2003..in birds than in mammals since photic information can be perceived by photoreceptors in the retina and the pineal gland, as well as in the brain, and photoperiodic time measurement might be performed with reference to at least ..
- Chronomics, neuroendocrine feedsidewards and the recording and consulting of nowcasts--forecasts of geomagneticsR Jozsa
, , Hungary
Biomed Pharmacother 59:S24-30. 2005..In planning studies and before starting, one may gain from consulting forecasts and the highly reliable nowcasts, respectively...
- Isoproterenol-stimulated melatonin production by perifused rat pineal glands: age- and time-related effectsLobna Naïri-Skandrani
Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Service de Biochimie Medicale et Biologie Moleculaire, 91, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013, Paris, France
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 25:257-61. 2004The purpose of this study was to investigate and compare the effects of the beta-adrenergic agonist, isoproterenol, on induced increase in melatonin production in the pineal gland of young and old rats, at different circadian stages.
- [Fundamentals of chronobiology: nyctohemeral rhythms]L Bourdon
Département des Facteurs Humains, Centre de Recherches du Service de Santé des Armées Emile Pardé, BP 87, 38702 La Tronche Cedex, France
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:2S5-2S10. 2004..Moreover, the description of specific biological rhythm disorders and rhythm problems at the cellular and even the molecular level have prompted the emerging fields of chronopharmacology and chronotherapeutics...
- A novel pineal-specific product of the oligopeptide transporter PepT1 gene: circadian expression mediated by cAMP activation of an intronic promoterPascaline Gaildrat
Section on Neuroendocrinology, Laboratory of Developmental Neurobiology, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4480, USA
J Biol Chem 280:16851-60. 2005..Here, a novel PepT1 gene product has been identified in the rat pineal gland, termed pgPepT1...
- Effect of a high-fat diet on 24-h pattern of circulating levels of prolactin, luteinizing hormone, testosterone, corticosterone, thyroid-stimulating hormone and glucose, and pineal melatonin content, in ratsPilar Cano
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular III, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, 28040, Spain
Endocrine 33:118-25. 2008..The amplitude of the nocturnal pineal melatonin peak decreased significantly in high-fat fed rats. The results underlie the significant effects that obesity has on circadian organization of hormone secretion...
- Rat pineal arylalkylamine-N-acetyltransferase: cyclic AMP inducibility of its gene depends on prior entrained photoperiodLydia Engel
Department of Anatomy, Johannes Gutenberg University, Saarstrasse 19 21, D 55099 Mainz, Germany
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 123:45-55. 2004..On the basis of the present findings, we suggest that the photoperiod determines the effectiveness of nocturnal AA-NAT induction by long-term modulation of the intrapineal pathway that transmits the cAMP signal to the AA-NAT gene...
- Lack of effect of ghrelin treatment on melatonin production in rat pineal and Harderian glandsYasmina Djeridane
, , , 91, , 75013, Paris, France
Life Sci 76:2393-401. 2005..melatonin synthesizing enzymes N-acetyltransferase and hydroxyindole-O-methyltransferase activities, either in pineal gland or in Harderian glands...
- [Functional organization of a photoperiodic brain system]I I Zamorskii
Bucovinian State Medical Academy, Chernovtsy, Ukraine
Usp Fiziol Nauk 34:37-53. 2003..information, role of suprachiasmatic nuclei of hypothalamus in endogenous oscillation of chronorhythms and pineal gland as a neuroendocrinal transducer; and also on characteristics of circadian and circannual parts of photoperiodic ..
- [Usefulness of melatonin in the diagnostics and therapy of pineal gland and brain neoplasms]Marek Mandera
Oddziału Neurochirurgii Dzieciecej Katedry i Kliniki Chirurgii Dzieciecej, Slaskiej Akademii Medycznej w Katowicach
Wiad Lek 56:569-73. 2003Melatonin or N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine is mainly produced by pineal gland and exhibits characteristic diurnal rhythm of synthesis and secretion with the highest levels at night and low levels during a day...
- Transcription factors may frame Aa-nat gene expression and melatonin synthesis at night in the Syrian hamster pineal glandMarie Laure Garidou
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie des Rythmes, Unité Mixte Recherche Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Université Louis Pasteur 7518, F 67000 Strasbourg, France
Endocrinology 144:2461-72. 2003....
- Rhythmic expression of adenylyl cyclase VI contributes to the differential regulation of serotonin N-acetyltransferase by bradykinin in rat pineal glandsSung Han
System Bio Dynamics NCRC, Division of Molecular and Life Science, Pohang University of Science and Technology, San 31, Hyoja Dong, Pohang 790 784, Republic of Korea
J Biol Chem 280:38228-34. 2005..Our results suggest that bradykinin-induced calcium inhibits melatonin synthesis through the mediation of adenylyl cyclase type 6 expression...
- The relationship between bone metabolism, melatonin and other hormones in sham-operated and pinealectomized ratsZ Ostrowska
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, The Medical University of Silesia, Zabrze, Poland
Endocr Regul 37:211-24. 2003....
- Diabetes induces changes in melatonin concentrations in peripheral tissues of ratKatarina Stebelova
Department of Animal Physiology and Ethology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 28:159-65. 2007..Therefore the aim of the present study was to measure the daily profile of melatonin levels in the pineal gland, plasma, pancreas, kidney, spleen, duodenum and colon of control and diabetic rats.
- Rhythmic control of AANAT translation by hnRNP Q in circadian melatonin productionTae Don Kim
Department of Life Science, Division of Molecular and Life Sciences, Systems Bio Dynamics NCRC, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, Kyung Buk 790 784, Republic of Korea
Genes Dev 21:797-810. 2007..This translational regulation of AANAT mRNA provides a novel aspect for achieving the circadian rhythmicity of vertebrate melatonin...
- In vitro photic entrainment of the circadian rhythm in melatonin release from the pineal organ of a teleost, ayu (Plecoglossus altivelis) in flow-through cultureMasayuki Iigo
Department of Anatomy, St Marianna University School of Medicine, 2 16 1 Sugao, Miyamae, Kawasaki 216 8511, Japan
Brain Res 982:131-5. 2003..Thus, the ayu pineal organ should provide a useful model for analyzing the physiological and molecular basis of the entrainment mechanism of vertebrate circadian system...
- Nocturnal melatonin synthesis: how to stop itJack Falcon
Laboratoire Arago, Unité Mixte de Recherche 7628 Groupement de Recherche 2821, Université Pierre et Marie Curie and Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, F 66651 Banyuls sur Mer, Cedex, France
Endocrinology 148:1473-4. 2007
- Diurnal pineal 3-O-sulphotransferase 2 expression controlled by beta-adrenergic repressionJimo Borjigin
Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 115 West University Parkway, Baltimore, MD 21210, USA
J Biol Chem 278:16315-9. 2003..These data suggest 3OST2 may serve a unique function in the pineal that may be independent of melatonin formation...
- Pup circadian rhythm entrainment--effect of maternal ganglionectomy or pinealectomyS L Bellavia
Catedra de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, CC 35, 5016 Cordoba, Argentina
Physiol Behav 89:342-9. 2006..This paper examines the effect of maternal ganglionectomy (pineal gland sympathetic denervation) or extirpation of the pineal gland on pups' drinking rhythms, a behavior that is ..
- Impaired light masking in dopamine D2 receptor-null miceMasao Doi
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, 1 rue Laurent Fries 67404, Illkirch, Strasbourg, France
Nat Neurosci 9:732-4. 2006....
- Diabetic Goto Kakizaki rats as well as type 2 diabetic patients show a decreased diurnal serum melatonin level and an increased pancreatic melatonin-receptor statusElmar Peschke
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
J Pineal Res 40:135-43. 2006There are functional inter-relationships between the beta cells of the endocrine pancreas and the pineal gland, where the synchronizing circadian molecule melatonin originates...
- Pinealectomy reduces optic nerve but not intergeniculate leaflet input to the suprachiasmatic nucleus at nightJ A Gonzalez
Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, UK
J Neuroendocrinol 18:146-53. 2006..127, P = 0.008). Our findings suggest that a lack of melatonin modulates OptN but not IGL inputs to the SCN...
- Nocturnal patterns and up-regulated excretion of the melatonin metabolite 6-sulfatoxymelatonin in the diurnal rodent Psammomys obesus post-weaning under a short photoperiodAlina Neuman
Department of Neurobiochemistry, The George S. Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 142:297-307. 2005..Possibly, this pattern may be physiologically important to facilitate T(b) maintenance in the cold nights of winter in the desert...
- Mechanisms regulating melatonin synthesis in the mammalian pineal organChristof Schomerus
Dr Senckenbergische Anatomie, Institut für Anatomie II, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 6059 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1057:372-83. 2005..This diversity has emerged in the course of evolution and reflects the high adaptive plasticity of the melatonin-generating pineal organ...
- The circadian clock, light/dark cycle and melatonin are differentially involved in the expression of daily and photoperiodic variations in mt(1) melatonin receptors in the Siberian and Syrian hamstersC Schuster
, CNRS-UMR 7518, , 12, , F-67000 Strasbourg, France
Neuroendocrinology 74:55-68. 2001..Altogether, these results show that during daily variations, mt(1) melatonin receptor mRNA and protein are differentially regulated, while at the photoperiodic level, the mt(1) protein status depends on mRNA transcription...
- Diurnal and circadian rhythms in melatonin synthesis in the turkey pineal gland and retinaJolanta B Zawilska
Centre for Medical Biology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Lodz, Poland
Gen Comp Endocrinol 145:162-8. 2006The pineal gland and retina of the turkey rhythmically produce melatonin...
- Functional central rhythmicity and light entrainment, but not liver and muscle rhythmicity, are Clock independentDavid J Kennaway
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Medical School, University of Adelaide, Frome Rd, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 291:R1172-80. 2006..Therefore, liver and muscle, but not SCN, have an absolute requirement for CLOCK, with as yet unknown Clock-independent factors able to generate the latter...
- Day-night changes in downstream regulatory element antagonist modulator/potassium channel interacting protein activity contribute to circadian gene expression in pineal glandWolfgang A Link
Departamento Biologia Molecular y Celular, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, 28049 Madrid, Spain
J Neurosci 24:5346-55. 2004The molecular mechanisms controlling the oscillatory synthesis of melatonin in rat pineal gland involve the rhythmic expression of several genes including arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase (AA-NAT), inducible cAMP early repressor (ICER), ..
- Chronomics affirm extending scope of lead in phase of duodenal vs. pineal circadian melatonin rhythmsB Poeggeler
Institute of Zoology, Anthropology and Developmental Biology, , , Germany
Biomed Pharmacother 59:S220-4. 2005..The 24-h cosine curve of circulating melatonin was found to be in an intermediate phase position. Mechanisms of the phase differences and the contribution of gastrointestinal melatonin to circulating hormone concentrations are discussed...
- [Age-related changes of exercise capacity and some biochemical indices of rat muscles under influence of different light conditions and pineal preparations]I A Vingradova
Adv Gerontol 20:66-73. 2007..Both substances had similar stimulate effect on age-related physical activity of mature and senescent animals such as reducing of exercise capacity depression and normalization of antioxidant protection...
- Food access schedule and diet composition alter rhythmicity of serum melatonin and pineal NAT activityB Selmaoui
School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, Macdonald Campus of McGill University, 21, 111 Lakeshore Road, H9X 3V9, Ste Anne de Bellevue, PQ, Canada
Physiol Behav 74:449-55. 2001..Such results were not found in rats offered restricted chow. This study suggests that the rhythms of melatonin secretion and NAT activity can be altered by dietary composition...
- Serotonin N Acetyltransferase Mechanism and InhibitionPhilip Cole; Fiscal Year: 2004..Peak melatonin levels appear to fall off with increasing age. Produced in the pineal gland, melatonin levels vary up to 100-fold over a 24 h day, primarily in response to external light, posture, and ..
- LIGHT DURING DARKNESS AND BREAST CANCER PROGRESSIONDavid Blask; Fiscal Year: 2004..The pineal gland hormone melatonin, which inhibits experimental human breast cancer growth, is produced during darkness; light ..
- PHOTOPERIODIC CONTROL OF OBESITYTimothy Bartness; Fiscal Year: 1991..weight and fat to the same environmental stimulus (daylength), mediated by the same neuroendocrine transducer (pineal gland and its hormone, melatonin). Three sets of experiments are proposed...
- REGULATION OF PEPTIDE EXPRESSION IN NEURONAL CELLSVictor May; Fiscal Year: 1993..The effects of appropriate SCG target cells (cells innervated by SCG), including pineal gland, salivary gland, iris and vascular smooth muscle cells, on neurotransmitter/neuropeptide expression will be ..
- Sleep Length and Circadian Regulation in HumansHelen Burgess; Fiscal Year: 2009..timing of the human circadian clock by measuring salivary melatonin, a neuroendocrine hormone released from the pineal gland, and collecting measures of sleep via actigraphy, and sleepiness, mood, gastrointestinal distress and cognitive ..
- Sleep Length and Circadian Regulation in HumansHELEN JULIA BURGESS; Fiscal Year: 2010..timing of the human circadian clock by measuring salivary melatonin, a neuroendocrine hormone released from the pineal gland, and collecting measures of sleep via actigraphy, and sleepiness, mood, gastrointestinal distress and cognitive ..
- NEUROENDOCRINOLOGY OF PUBERTYDouglas Foster; Fiscal Year: 1990..rhythms by a telemetric system during the early postnatal period will facilitate understanding why the pineal gland of the neonatal lamb does not produce a pattern of melatonin that accords with the prevailing photoperiod...
- Efficacy of melatonin treatment in a phase advance model of insomniaCharles A Czeisler; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by investigator): Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland at night. The timing of its release is controlled by the circadian timing system...
- Serotonin N-acethyltransferase Regulation & InhibitionPhilip Cole; Fiscal Year: 2007..Melatonin is circadian rhythm hormone produced in the pineal gland that is hypothesized to contribute to the regulation of sleep-wake cycle, mood, and the process of aging...
- METHOXYINDOLES IN RETINA--FUNCTION AND REGULATIONP Iuvone; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the applicant's abstract): Melatonin is a methoxyindole synthesized in the retina and pineal gland under the influence of circadian clocks. In retina, melatonin synthesis occurs in photoreceptor cells...
- Methoxyindoles in Retina: Function and RegulationP Iuvone; Fiscal Year: 2006Melatonin is a methoxyindole synthesized in retina and pineal gland under the influence of circadian clocks. In retina, melatonin synthesis occurs in photoreceptor cells...
- RECOVERY OF FUNCTION FOLLOWING NEURAL DAMAGERICHARD ZIGMOND; Fiscal Year: 1990..recovery of function after damage to the adult nervous system, using the sympathetic innervation of the rat pineal gland as a model system...