Genomes and Genes
Summary: Euploid female germ cells of an early stage of OOGENESIS, derived from primordial germ cells during ovarian differentiation. Oogonia undergo MEIOSIS and give rise to haploid OOCYTES
Publications194 found, 100 shown here
- From oogonia to mature oocytes: inactivation of the maternal centrosome in humansA Henry Sathananthan
Monash Institute of Medical Research, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Microsc Res Tech 69:396-407. 2006The fine structure of human oogonia and growing oocytes has been reviewed in fetal and adult ovaries...
- No evidence for the presence of oogonia in the human ovary after their final clearance during the first two years of lifeA G Byskov
Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Section 5712, University Hospital of Copenhagen, Rigshospitalet, Section 5712, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Hum Reprod 26:2129-39. 2011Conflicting results of studies on mouse and human have either verified or refuted the presence of oogonia/primordial germ cells in the post-natal ovary...
- The number of oogonia and somatic cells in the human female embryo and fetus in relation to whether or not exposed to maternal cigarette smokingM C Lutterodt
Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, The Juliane Marie Centre for Women, Children and Reproduction, University Hospital of Copenhagen, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hum Reprod 24:2558-66. 2009..or compounds of cigarette smoke is associated with serious reproductive hazards such as apoptotic death of oogonia in murine offspring and decreased fecundability in human offspring...
- A fossil peronosporomycete oogonium with an unusual surface ornament from the Carboniferous of FranceMichael Krings
Department für Geo und Umweltwissenschaften, Paläontologie und Geobiologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, and Bayerische Staatssammlung für Paläontologie und Geologie, Richard Wagner Straße 10, 80333 Munich, Germany
Fungal Biol 114:446-50. 2010..This fossil represents only the third record of an unequivocal peronosporomycete from the Carboniferous, and thus provides important details about the evolutionary history of this group of organisms...
- Production of oogonia and oospores of Leptolegnia chapmanii Seymour (Straminipila: Peronosporomycetes) in Aedes aegypti (L.) larvae at different temperaturesS A Pelizza
Centro de Estudios Parasitológicos y de Vectores CEPAVE CCT CONICET La Plata UNLP, 2 N masculine 584, La Plata, Argentina
Mycopathologia 169:71-4. 2010..around the world, they were made on zoospores and a very little or even nothing is known about the sexual stage (oogonia and oospores), which allows L. chapmanii to remain in the environment when conditions are not favorable...
- RSPO1/β-catenin signaling pathway regulates oogonia differentiation and entry into meiosis in the mouse fetal ovaryAnne Amandine Chassot
INSERM, U636, Nice, France
PLoS ONE 6:e25641. 2011..Our results demonstrate that RSPO1/β-catenin signaling is involved in meiosis in fetal germ cells and contributes to the cellular decision of germ cells to differentiate into oocyte or sperm...
- [After tumor therapy what possibilities exist for preservation of female fertility?]Inge Kelm-Kahl
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:1053-4. 2004
- Number of germ cells and somatic cells in human fetal ovaries during the first weeks after sex differentiationE Bendsen
Fertility Clinic, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital of Odense, Sdr Boulevard 29, 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Hum Reprod 21:30-5. 2006..This study presents the number of germ cells and somatic cells in human fetal ovaries during week 6 to week 9 post conception, i.e. the first weeks following sex differentiation of the gonads...
- Establishment of oocyte population in the fetal ovary: primordial germ cell proliferation and oocyte programmed cell deathMassimo De Felici
Department of Public Health and Cell Biology, Section of Histology and Embryology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Via Montpellier 1, 00173 Rome, Italy
Reprod Biomed Online 10:182-91. 2005....
- Formation of ovarian follicles during fetal development in sheepHeywood R Sawyer
Animal Reproduction and Biotechnology Laboratory, Foothills Campus, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Biol Reprod 66:1134-50. 2002..Conceptual models detailing the chronology of developmental events involved in the formation of primordial follicles in sheep are discussed...
- O-ethylthymidine adducts are the most relevant damages for mutation induced by N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea in female germ cells of Drosophila melanogasterL Alvarez
Departamento de Biologia Funcional e Instituto Universitario de Oncologia del Principado de Asturias, Area de Genetica, Universidad de Oviedo, Spain
Environ Mol Mutagen 40:143-52. 2002....
- Light and electron microscopy oogenesis in matrinxã, Brycon cephalusE Romagosa
Research Center in Reproduction and Larviculture, Fishery Institute, APTA, SAA, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 34:425-31. 2002..The ovulation of females matrinxã, required hormonal stimulation and this occurred 6 and 8 h after the second application...
- Oogenesis in the swamp eel Synbranchus marmoratus (Bloch, 1795) (Teleostei; Synbranchidae). Ovarian anatomy, stages of oocyte development and micropyle structureMario Aldo Ravaglia
Laboratorio de Embriología Animal, Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Biocell 26:325-37. 2002..The complete oogenesis process is divided into four stages: oogonia, primary growth, cortical alveoli and vitellogenesis...
- Germ cell development in Meishan and White Composite giltsSusan A McCoard
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Roman L Hruska U S Meat Animal Research Center, Clay Center, NE 68933, USA
Anim Reprod Sci 77:85-105. 2003..These observations highlight important developmental events during late fetal and early postnatal life that prepare the ovarian environment for early onset of puberty and subsequent ovulation in MS gilts...
- Follicular diameter range based on morphological features in Synbranchus marmoratus (Bloch, 1795) (Teleostei, Synbranchiformes, Synbranchidae) from the South-central region of BrazilMaria Angélica Spadella
Departamento de Morfologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Campus de Botucatu, Distrito de Rubiao Junior, S N, CEP 18 618 000, CX 510 Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Tissue Cell 37:91-100. 2005..These data make available new information on the reproductive biology of Synbranchidae...
- Effects of luteinizing hormone treatment on oogenesis in ovarian germ cells of the chick (Gallus domesticus)Ma Genoveva González-Morán
Laboratorio de Biología de la Reproducción Animal, Departamento de Biología Comparada, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Av Universidad 3000, Col Copilco el Bajo, Deleg Coyoacan, Mexico, Mexico
Domest Anim Endocrinol 33:154-66. 2007..number of germ cells was not affected by the LH treatment, but significant differences existed in the number of oogonia and oocytes between the ovaries of control and LH-treated chicks...
- Somatic pairing, endomitosis and chromosome aberrations in snakes (Viperidae and Colubridae)Maria Luiza Beçak
Laboratorio de Genetica, Instituto Butantan, Sao Paulo, SP, 05503 900, Brasil
An Acad Bras Cienc 75:285-300. 2003..insularis (Viperidae) was studied in undistorted radial metaphases of uncultured cells (spermatogonia and oogonia) not subjected to spindle inhibitors...
- Mature oocytes derived from purified mouse fetal germ cellsTingting Qing
Laboratory of Stem Cell and Regeneration Biology, College of Life Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, People s Rebublic of China
Hum Reprod 23:54-61. 2008..The purpose of this present study is to explore whether purified fetal germ cells are able to differentiate into mature oocytes through an in vivo grafting procedure...
- Number of ovarian follicles in human fetuses with the 45,X karyotypeKarine Reynaud
Academisch Ziekenhuis van de Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Fertil Steril 81:1112-9. 2004..To evaluate the numbers of ovarian follicles during fetal life in the gonads of human female fetuses with the 45,X karyotype (Turner syndrome, TS) and to compare them with those from age-matched 46,XX fetuses...
- Continuing primordial germ cell differentiation in the mouse embryo is a cell-intrinsic program sensitive to DNA methylationDanielle M Maatouk
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Florida, P O Box 10266, Gainesville, FL 32610 0266, USA
Dev Biol 258:201-8. 2003..These results suggest that genomic demethylation of proliferative phase primordial germ cells is a mechanism by which germ cell maturation is coordinated...
- Oogenesis in pig ovaries during the prenatal period: ultrastructure and morphometryZofia Bielanska-Osuchowska
Department of Histology and Embryology, Warsaw Agricultural University, ul Nowoursynowska 159, 02 776 Warszawa, Poland
Reprod Biol 6:161-93. 2006..At the ultrastructural level there are no differences between the primordial germ cells and oogonia, but oogonia are connected with the intercellular bridges...
- ayk1, a novel mammalian gene related to Drosophila aurora centrosome separation kinase, is specifically expressed during meiosisA Yanai
Department of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Oncogene 14:2943-50. 1997..These results suggest that the pathways controlling chromosome segregation are evolutionary conserved, and that similar control mechanisms operate in mitosis and meiosis...
- Pattern of expression of immune-relevant genes in the gonad of a teleost, the gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata L.)E Chaves-Pozo
Department of Cell Biology and Histology, Faculty of Biology, University of Murcia, Campus Universitario de Espinardo, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Mol Immunol 45:2998-3011. 2008..These data suggest that, as occurs in mammals, there is a critical balance between immune molecules and that these may play an essential role in the orchestration of gametogenesis and the maintenance of gonad tissue homeostasis in fish...
- Germ cell nuclear antigen (GCNA1) expression does not require a gonadal environment or steroidogenic factor 1: examination of GCNA1 in ectopic germ cells and in Ftz-F1 null miceD Wang
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7400, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 48:154-8. 1997..The finding that germ cell GCNA1 expression is not restricted to the gonadal environment and is not dependent on the Ftz-F1 gene products suggests that GCNA1 expression may be initiated in the germ cell lineage by autonomous means...
- RNA expression microarray analysis in mouse prospermatogonia: identification of candidate epigenetic modifiersChristophe Lefevre
Department of Zoology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Dev Dyn 237:1082-9. 2008..These data provide a useful resource in the discovery of molecular pathways involved in epigenetic reprogramming in the mammalian germ line...
- Oogenesis in the viviparous matrotrophic lizard Mabuya brachypodaArlette Hernández-Franyutti
Laboratorio de Biología de la Reproducción Animal, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Ciudad Universitaria, D F Mexico, Mexico
J Morphol 265:152-64. 2005..9-1.3 mm. Two elongated germinal beds, formed by germinal epithelia containing oogonia, early oocytes, and somatic cells, are found on the dorsal surface of each ovary...
- Phytophthora morindae, a new species causing black flag disease on noni (Morinda citrifolia L) in HawaiiScot C Nelson
University of Hawaii at Manoa, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Department of Plant and Environmental Protection Sciences, Cooperative Extension Service, 875 Komohana Street, Hilo, Hawaii 96720, USA
Mycologia 102:122-34. 2010..The sexual phase is characterized by the production of oogonia with tapered bases, small amphigynous antheridia and thick-walled, plerotic oospores...
- Stem cell factor and c-Kit in human primordial germ cells and fetal ovariesPoul Erik Høyer
Institute of Medical Anatomy, Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mol Cell Endocrinol 234:1-10. 2005..Prominent c-Kit and SCF staining was present in germ cells of the embryonic gonadal anlage and in oogonia during further ovarian development. However, oocytes were either unstained or faintly stained for SCF...
- Cell-cycle regulation and mammalian gametogenesis: a lesson from the unexpectedAbraham L Kierszenbaum
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomical Sciences, The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, The City University of New York Medical School, New York, New York 10031, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 73:939-42. 2006..Both spermatogonia and oogonia are stem cell populations committed to meiosis with the aim of generating haploid gametes for fertilization...
- Comparison of reproductive development in triploid and diploid female rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykissY Han
College of Animal Science and Technology, Northeast Agricultural University, Harbin 150030, PR China
J Fish Biol 76:1742-50. 2010..mykiss reached sexual maturity 3 years after hatching and its oogenesis underwent four stages, which were oogonia, primary oocyte, secondary oocyte and egg...
- Sex chromosome elimination, X chromosome inactivation and reactivation in the southern brown bandicoot Isoodon obesulus (Marsupialia: Peramelidae)P G Johnston
Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
Cytogenet Genome Res 99:119-24. 2002..of germ cells from different aged pouch young heterozygotes showed only maternal allele expression in oogonia whereas an additional paternally derived band was observed in pre-dictyate oocytes...
- Oogenesis in teleosts: how eggs are formedEsther Lubzens
Department of Marine Biology, Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research, 81080 Haifa, Israel
Gen Comp Endocrinol 165:367-89. 2010..the dynamic processes associated with oogenesis, the formation of an egg, from the time that germ cells turn into oogonia, until the release of ova during spawning in teleosts...
- Phytophthora siskiyouensis, a new species from soil, water, myrtlewood (Umbellularia californica) and tanoak (Lithocarpus densiflorus) in southwestern OregonPaul W Reeser
Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Mycologia 99:639-43. 2007..The new species, Phytophthora siskiyouensis, is homothallic with globose to subglobose oogonia, which may be terminal, sessile or laterally intercalary...
- Survival and reproduction of some blue-green and green algae as affected by sewage water, fertilizer factory effluent, brassica oil, phenol, toluene and benzeneS C Agrawal
Department of Botany, University of Allahabad, India
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 54:67-73. 2009..not any oogonia-like cells under all or most of treatments with 25-100 % sewage water, 1-100 % fertilizer factory effluent, 1-100 ..
- Immunolocalization of Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma haematobium antigens reacting with their Egyptian snail vectorsShadia M el-Dafrawy
Department of Medical Malacology, Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Imbaba P O Box 30, Giza, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:1039-48. 2007..it was detected in epithelial cells lining the tubules, male cells in the lumen of the tubules and in female oogonia cells along the periphery of the tubules...
- Xenogenic oogenesis of chicken (Gallus domesticus) female primordial germ cells in germline chimeric quail (Coturnix japonica) ovaryC H Liu
Department of Cell Biology, Central Veterinary Research Laboratory, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Anim Reprod Sci 101:344-50. 2007..6+/-237.1 female chicken PGCs-derived oogonia scattered in ovarian cortex area...
- Pythium contiguanum nomen novum (syn. Pythium dreschleri Paul), its antagonism to Botrytis cinerea, ITS1 region of its nuclear ribosomal DNA, and its comparison with related speciesB Paul
Laboratoire des Sciences de la Vigne, Institut Jules Guyot, Universite de Bourgogne, P O Box 138, 21004, Dijon, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 183:105-10. 2000..drechsleri Paul. This species is characterised by its contiguous inflated type of sporangia, smooth-walled oogonia and mostly monoclinous antheridia...
- Gonadoblastoma: evidence for a stepwise progression to dysgerminoma in a dysgenetic ovaryKatharina Pauls
Institute of Pathology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Virchows Arch 447:603-9. 2005..They contained both cell types, similar to oocytes (M2A-, GCAP-, c-kit+/-, sACE-) and oogonia (M2A+, GCAP+, c-kit+, sACE+)...
- A germline-specific gap junction protein required for survival of differentiating early germ cellsSalli I Tazuke
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5329, USA
Development 129:2529-39. 2002..Adult zpg-null gonads contain small numbers of early germ cells, resembling stem cells or early spermatogonia or oogonia, but lack later stages of germ cell differentiation...
- Developmental expression of POU5F1 (OCT-3/4) in normal and dysgenetic human gonadsEwa Rajpert-De Meyts
Department of Growth and Reproduction, Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hum Reprod 19:1338-44. 2004....
- Linker histone transitions during mammalian oogenesis and embryogenesisH J Clarke
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Dev Genet 22:17-30. 1998..Immunologically detectable somatic H1 is present in mitotically proliferating oogonia but gradually becomes undetectable after the oocytes enter meiosis...
- Morphological and biochemical alterations of oomycete fish pathogen Saprolegnia parasitica as affected by salinity, ascorbic acid and their synergistic actionEsam H Ali
Faculty of Science, Department of Botany, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
Mycopathologia 159:231-43. 2005..Reduction of numbers and plasmolysis of oogonia were found at various NaCl concentrations, whereas ascorbic acid stimulated the formation of these reproductive ..
- Morphodynamics of ovarian follicles during oogenesis in miceEimei Sato
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Microsc Res Tech 69:427-35. 2006In the mouse, oogonia enter the prophase of the first meiotic division and differentiate into oocyte while developing in the fetal ovary...
- Isolation of oogonia from ovaries of the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus nudusKonstantin V Yakovlev
A V Zhirmunsky Institute of Marine Biology, Far Eastern Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Palchevsky Street 17, 690041 Vladivostok, Russia
Cell Tissue Res 342:479-90. 2010The presence of oogonia in the ovaries of adult females is typical in species with a broadcast spawning reproductive strategy, including invertebrates and lower vertebrates...
- Differential expression and dynamic changes of SOX3 during gametogenesis and sex reversal in protogynous hermaphroditic fishBo Yao
State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology, Wuhan Center for Developmental Biology, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 307:207-19. 2007..of gametogenesis and sex reversal, and EcSOX3 protein exists in the differentiating primordial germ cells, oogonia, and different stage oocytes of ovaries, and also in the differentiating primordial germ cells and the Sertoli ..
- Phytophthora kernoviae sp. nov., an invasive pathogen causing bleeding stem lesions on forest trees and foliar necrosis of ornamentals in the UKClive M Brasier
Forest Research Agency, Farnham, Surrey GU10 4LH, UK
Mycol Res 109:853-9. 2005..ramorum. P. kernoviae is self-fertile (homothallic), having plerotic oogonia, often with distinctly tapered stalks and amphigynous antheridia...
- Centroid, a novel putative DEAD-box RNA helicase maternal mRNA, is localized in the mitochondrial cloud in Xenopus laevis oocytesMalgorzata Kloc
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Int J Dev Biol 51:701-6. 2007..a cDNA library from the ovaries of stage 64 Xenopus tadpoles with the idea that it will be enriched for oogonia and pre-stage I and stage I oocytes and thus, RNAs involved in oocyte development and germ plasm formation and ..
- In or out stemness: comparing growth factor signalling in mouse embryonic stem cells and primordial germ cellsMassimo De Felici
Department of Public Health and Cell Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 4:87-97. 2009..In fact, in normal condition PGCs are believed to differentiate into germ cells only, oogonia/oocytes in the female, and prospermatogonia in the male which ultimately produce eggs and sperm, respectively...
- Possible participation of mitochondria in lipid yolk formation in oocytes of paddlefish and sturgeonMonika Zelazowska
Department of Systematic Zoology, Institute of Zoology, Jagiellonian University, R Ingardena 6, 30 060 Krakow, Poland corrected
Cell Tissue Res 335:585-91. 2009..The ovarian nests comprise oogonia and numerous early dictyotene oocytes surrounded by somatic prefollicular cells...
- Gonad development during the early life of Octopus maya (Mollusca: Cephalopoda)Omar Hernando Avila-Poveda
Posgrado en Ciencias del Mar y Limnología ICMyL, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico UNAM, Puerto de abrigo S N, Sisal, Yucatan, Mexico
Biol Bull 216:94-102. 2009..5 mm DML and 4.8210 g fBW) at the same time since hatching were immature (stage 1), with many oogonia, few oocytes, and germinal epithelium...
- Achlya abortispora, a new oomycete isolated from water samples taken from a water reservoir in MoroccoEl Androusse Amal
Laboratoire de Botanique, Departement de Biologie, Faculte des Sciences, Universite Mohammed V, Rabat, BP, Maroc
Curr Microbiol 53:60-7. 2006..long fusiform sporangia with achlyoid and aplanoid discharge of zoospores; smooth-walled spherical to club-shaped oogonia, which are usually lateral, but at times intercalary, containing 1 to 20 oospheres...
- A new species of Pythium with ornamented oogonia: morphology, taxonomy, internal transcribed spacer region of its ribosomal RNA, and its comparison with related speciesBernard Paul
Laboratoire des Sciences de la Vigne, Institut Jules Guyot, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 254:317-23. 2006..The oomycete has spiny oogonia and does not sporulate readily...
- Three forms of cyclin B transcripts in the ovary of the kuruma prawn Marsupenaeus japonicus: their molecular characterizations and expression profiles during oogenesisGao Feng Qiu
Fisheries Agency, National Research Institute of Aquaculture, Nansei, Mie 516 0193, Japan
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 141:186-95. 2005..In situ hybridization showed that the short transcript commenced expressing in the ova as early as the oogonia stage and accumulated largely at the perinucleolus (PN) stage, whereas almost no expression was found for the ..
- A new mycoparasite, Pythium lycopersicum, isolated in Isparta, Turkey: morphology, molecular characteristics, and its antagonism with phytopathogenic fungiGürsel Karaca
Plant Protection Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
FEMS Microbiol Lett 288:163-70. 2008..by its contiguous sporangia having globose to elongated elements linked with hyphal filaments, ornamented oogonia, and monoclinous antheridia with large antheridial cells...
- The Dazh gene is expressed in male and female embryonic gonads before germ cell sex differentiationJ Seligman
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 245:878-82. 1998..In females, oogonia enter meiosis at 13.5-14...
- Identification of a homologue of POU5F1 (OCT3/4) in a marsupial, the brushtail possumS Frankenberg
Department of Zoology, La Trobe University, Victoria, Australia
Mol Reprod Dev 58:255-61. 2001..The mRNA for tvPOU5F1 was detected by in situ hybridization in oogonia and in oocytes of growing follicles, but not in early meiotic oocytes...
- Germ cells, gonads and sex reversal in marsupialsM B Renfree
Department of Zoology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Int J Dev Biol 45:557-67. 2001..marsupials by hormonal manipulation, and oestradiol can induce male germ cells to enter meiosis at the time the oogonia do...
- Differentiation of murine premigratory primordial germ cells in cultureA J Richards
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610-0266, USA
Biol Reprod 61:1146-51. 1999..by either alkaline phosphatase or GCNA1, we did not detect long-term survival of either prospermatogonia or oogonia under conditions that support the survival, proliferation, and differentiation of earlier premigratory cells...
- The molecular basis of ovarian cell death during germ cell attrition, follicular atresia, and luteolysisJ L Tilly
The Vincent Center for Reproductive Biology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Front Biosci 1:d1-11. 1996..examinations, several recent studies have confirmed the occurrence of apoptosis in female germ cells (oogonia and oocytes) during fetal ovarian development, granulosa cells during follicular atresia, and cells of the corpus ..
- Fine-structure alterations in female Brugia malayi and Litomosoides carinii after in vivo treatment with flubendazoleM Franz
Institut für Spezielle Zoology und Parasitologie, Ruhr Universitat, Federal Republic of Germany
Parasitol Res 76:401-5. 1990..At this time, marked alterations were also observed in the oogonia and in the embryonic cells...
- Expression pattern of meiosis associated SYCP family members during germline development in chickensYing Hui Zheng
Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul 151921, South Korea
Reproduction 138:483-92. 2009..0; the expression continued in proliferating pre-meiotic oogonia until E15.5 and was upregulated in meiotic prophase I oocytes until hatching...
- Pythium segnitium sp. nov., isolated from the Canary Islands--its taxonomy, ITS region of rDNA, and comparison with related speciesBernard Paul
Laboratoire des Sciences de la Vigne, Institut Jules Guyot, Universite de Bourgogne, BP 27877, 21078 Dijon, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 217:207-12. 2002..It belongs to the group of Pythium that have smooth-walled oogonia, mostly hypogynous antheridia, and plerotic oospores...
- Pythium glomeratum, a new species isolated from agricultural soil taken in north-eastern France, its ITS region and its comparison with related speciesBernard Paul
Laboratoire des Sciences de la Vigne, Institut Jules Guyot, Universite de Bourgogne, BP 27877, 21078 Dijon, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 225:47-52. 2003..P. glomeratum is characterized by the presence of branched antheridia that wrap around the oogonia, aplerotic to almost plerotic oospores, and the lack of zoosporangia and zoospores...
- Pattern and rate of ovary differentiation with reference to somatic development in anuran amphibiansMaria Ogielska
Laboratory of Evolutionary and Developmental Biology of Vertebrates, Zoological Institute, Wroclaw University, 50 335 Wrocław, Poland
J Morphol 259:41-54. 2004..meiocytes; VI, first diplotene oocytes; VII-IX, increasing number of diplotene oocytes and decreasing number of oogonia and nests; X, fully developed ovary composed of diplotene oocytes with rudimental patches of oogonia...
- Phytophthora polonica, a new species isolated from declining Alnus glutinosa stands in PolandLassaad Belbahri
Laboratory of Applied Genetics, School of Engineering of Lullier, University of Applied Sciences of Western Switzerland, Jussy, Switzerland
FEMS Microbiol Lett 261:165-74. 2006..chlamydospores in agar media and in soil extract, persistent, ovoid to ellipsoid nonpapillate sporangia and large oogonia with paragynous and sometimes amphigynous antheridia...
- Involvement of Phytophthora species in the decline of beech Fagus sylvatica in Wallonia (Belgium)S Schmitz
Walloon Agricultural Research Centre, Department Biological Control and Plant Genetic Resources, Rue de Liroux 4, BE 5030 Gembloux, Belgium
Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci 72:879-85. 2007..Both complementation types (A1 and A2) of P. cambivora were identified, sometimes in the same sampling site. Ornamented oogonia characteristic of this species were produced by pairing A1 and A2 strains isolated from the same site.
- Saprolegnia bulbosa sp. nov. isolated from an Argentine stream: taxonomy and comparison with related speciesMónica Mirta Steciow
Instituto de Botánica Spegazzini, La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
FEMS Microbiol Lett 268:225-30. 2007..The distinctive characteristics of S. bulbosa are the product of smooth oogonia and predominantly contorted monoclinous, androgynous and diclinous antheridia...
- Increase of FMRP expression, raised levels of FMR1 mRNA, and clonal selection in proliferating cells with unmethylated fragile X repeat expansions: a clue to the sex bias in the transmission of full mutations?U Salat
Department of Human Genetics, University Hospital, 89070 Ulm, Germany
J Med Genet 37:842-50. 2000..At the proliferation of oogonia of carrier females, the same mechanism would, in theory, favour transmission of any expanded FMR1 allele on ..
- The structure of the ovary and oogenesis in the earthworm, Dendrobaena veneta (Annelida, Clitellata)E Siekierska
Department of Animal Histology and Embryology, Silesian University, Katowice, ul Bankowa 9, PL 40 007 Katowice, Poland
Tissue Cell 35:252-9. 2003..The somatic cells and their processes envelop the germ cells tightly and play a supportive role. Oogonia, oocytes and trophocytes are arranged in distinct zones in the ovary...
- Gonadal morphogenesis and sex differentiation in intraovarian embryos of the viviparous fish Zoarces viviparus (Teleostei, Perciformes, Zoarcidae): a histological and ultrastructural studyTina H Rasmussen
Institute of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, DK 5230 Odense, Denmark
J Morphol 267:1032-47. 2006..Ultrastructually, the features of the primordial germ cells, oogonia, and spermatogonia are similar, including nuage, mitochondria, endoplasmic reticulum, and Golgi complexes.
- Re-evaluation of the enigmatic species complex Saprolegnia diclina-Saprolegnia parasitica based on morphological, physiological and molecular dataJavier Diéguez-Uribeondo
Departamento de Micologia, Real Jardín Botánico CSIC, Plaza Murillo 2, 28014 Madrid, Spain
Fungal Genet Biol 44:585-601. 2007..Presence of bundles of long-hooked hairs on secondary cysts, high frequency of retracted germination, and oogonia production at 7 degrees C (when occurring) were characteristic of this clade. A single isolate identified as S...
- Morphometry of human ovaries in normal and growth-restricted fetusesJ P de Bruin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Diakonessenhuis Utrecht, Bosboomstraat 1, 3582 KE, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Early Hum Dev 60:179-92. 2001..ovarian cortex, the maximum diameters of individual follicles and the distribution of the follicle classes and oogonia were determined. The volume of the ovaries increased significantly from 0.10 to 0...
- Germline passage of mitochondria: quantitative considerations and possible embryological sequelaeR P Jansen
Sydney IVF and the University of Sydney, Australia
Hum Reprod 15:112-28. 2000..From approximately 100 or so such cells, a population of > or =7 x 10(6) oogonia and primary oocytes is produced in the fetal ovaries during mid-gestation, with mitochondria numbering up to ..
- Germ line control of female sex determination in zebrafishKellee R Siegfried
Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Department of Genetics Spemannstrasse 35, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Dev Biol 324:277-87. 2008..In mammals, the oogonia of the developing ovary are known to be important for folliculogenesis...
- Achlya spiralis, a new aquatic oomycete with bent oogonial stalks, isolated from the Burgundian region of FranceBernard Paul
Laboratoire de Mycologie et de Phytopathologie, Institut Jules Guyot, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 284:120-5. 2008..It is characterized by the presence of smooth-walled oogonia that are usually borne on bent or twisted oogonial stalks; mainly monoclinous, androgynous and diclinous ..
- Peronosporomycetes (Oomycota) from a Middle Permian permineralised peat within the Bainmedart Coal Measures, Prince Charles Mountains, AntarcticaBen J Slater
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e70707. 2013..Specimens are numerous and comprise two morphologically distinct kinds of ornamented oogonia, of which some are attached to hyphae by a septum. Combresomyces caespitosus sp. nov...
- Mouse TEX14 is required for embryonic germ cell intercellular bridges but not female fertilityMichael P Greenbaum
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Biol Reprod 80:449-57. 2009..Germ cell intercellular bridges are readily identified by KIF23 immunofluorescence between the gonocytes and oogonia of control mice but are absent between germ cells of Tex14-null mice...
- Identification and expression analysis of the Broad-Complex core protein isoform 6 (BR-C Z6) gene in the giant tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon (Penaeidae: Decapoda)A Buaklin
Program in Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Genet Mol Res 10:2290-306. 2011..In situ hybridization revealed that PmBR-C Z6 transcripts were localized in oogonia and cytoplasm of previtellogenic and vitellogenic oocytes of both wild intact and eyestalk-abated broodstock...
- Expression of EGFL7 in primordial germ cells and in adult ovaries and testesLuisa Campagnolo
Department of Public Health and Cell Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
Gene Expr Patterns 8:389-96. 2008..Expression is down-regulated when PGCs differentiate into pro-spermatogonia and oogonia, and by 15.5 dpc Egfl7 can no longer be detected in the germ line of both sexes...
- The effect of a parenteral ivermectin/closantel injection on the growth and reproductive development of early immature Fasciola hepatica in cattleR E B Hanna
Veterinary Sciences Division, DARDNI, Stormont, Belfast BT4 3SD, United Kingdom
Vet Parasitol 142:78-90. 2006..In the treated flukes, early spermatogonia and oogonia were the predominant cell types in the testes and ovary, whilst undifferentiated stem cells were abundant in the ..
- The continuum of ovarian aging and clinicopathologies associated with the menopausal transitionEdward J Nejat
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Women s Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Maturitas 66:187-90. 2010..The maximal size of the ovarian germ cell pool occurs at midgestation and is followed by a continuous decline in oogonia through birth, puberty, the reproductive years, and finally, the menopause...
- Molecular mechanisms underlying sex change in hermaphroditic groupersLi Zhou
State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology, Wuhan Center for Developmental Biology, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430072, China
Fish Physiol Biochem 36:181-93. 2010..As SOX3 continues to express, the SOX3-positive primordial germ cells develop toward oogonia and then oocytes, whereas, when SOX3 expression is ceased, the SOX3-positive primordial germ cells develop toward ..
- Premature ovarian failure in nobox-deficient mice is caused by defects in somatic cell invasion and germ cell cyst breakdownAgnieszka Lechowska
Institute of Zoology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
J Assist Reprod Genet 28:583-9. 2011..To understand the mechanism of premature ovarian failure (POF)...
- Lymphocyte antigen 75 (Ly75/CD205) is a surface marker on mitotic germ cells in rainbow troutKazue Nagasawa
Department of Marine Biosciences, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Reprod 83:597-606. 2010..ly75 mRNA was predominantly localized in the primordial germ cells of newly hatched embryos, A-SG in testis, oogonia, and chromatin nucleolus-stage oocytes in the ovary...
- Activity of the ovarian germinal epithelium in the freshwater catfish, Pimelodus maculatus (Teleostei: Ostariophysi: Siluriformes): germline cysts, follicle formation and oocyte developmentIrani Quagio-Grassiotto
Department of Morphology, Institute of Bioscience, Sao Paulo State University UNESP, Botucatu, Sao Paulo 18618 970, Brazil
J Morphol 272:1290-306. 2011Distinct types of oogonia are found in the germinal epithelium that borders the ovarian lamellae of Pimelodus maculatus: A-undifferentiated, A-differentiated and B-oogonia...
- A new species of Pythium isolated from a vineyard in FranceBernard Paul
Laboratoire des Sciences de la Vigne, Institut Jules Guyot, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 263:194-9. 2006Pythium apiculatum sp. nov. is a new oomycete characterized by the presence of both ornamented and smooth-walled oogonia. The ornamentations are blunt, and at times, bent...
- Ovarian structure and oogenesis of the oviparous goodeids Crenichthys baileyi (Gilbert, 1893) and Empetrichthys latos Miller, 1948 (teleostei, Cyprinodontiformes)Mari Carmen Uribe
Laboratorio de Biología de la Reproducción Animal, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Ciudad Universitaria, Mexico, D F Mexico
J Morphol 273:371-87. 2012..Goodeinae has an internal septum that divides the ovarian lumen into two compartments, and it may possess oogonia. There is no ovarian septum in the oviparous C. baileyi and E. latos...
- Biology and identity of fish spermatogonial stem cellSamyra Maria Dos Santos Nassif Lacerda
Laboratory of Cellular Biology, Department of Morphology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais 31270 901, Brazil
Gen Comp Endocrinol 207:56-65. 2014..A technique already used to demonstrate that, different from mammals, fish germ stem cells (spermatogonia and oogonia) present high sexual plasticity that is determined by the somatic microenvironment...
- Primary oocyte transcriptional activation of aqp1ab by the nuclear progestin receptor determines the pelagic egg phenotype of marine teleostsCinta Zapater
IRTA Institut de Ciències del Mar, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Dev Biol 377:345-62. 2013..localization studies indicated that the Pgr, as well as sox3 and -8b transcripts, are co-expressed in seabream oogonia, whereas in meiosis-arrested primary growth (pre-vitellogenic) oocytes, when aqp1ab mRNA and protein are first ..
- The proliferation and migration of immature germ cells in the mussel, Mytilus galloprovincialis: observation of the expression pattern in the M. galloprovincialis vasa-like gene (Myvlg) by in situ hybridizationMayu Obata
Faculty of Bioresources, Mie University, 1577 Kurimamachiya, Tsu, Mie, 514 8507, Japan
Dev Genes Evol 220:139-49. 2010..Myvlg expression was detected in spermatogonia, spermatocytes, oogonia, and oocytes...
- Germinal epithelium, folliculogenesis, and postovulatory follicles in ovaries of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum, 1792) (Teleostei, protacanthopterygii, salmoniformes)Harry J Grier
Division of Fishes, Department of Vertebrate Zoology, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, District of Columbia 20013 7012, USA
J Morphol 268:293-310. 2007..was active in postspawned rainbow trout, as determined by the presence of numerous cell nests, composed of oogonia, mitotic oogonia, early diplotene oocytes, and prefollicle cells...
- Infertility in the hyperplasic ovary of freshwater planarians: the role of programmed cell deathAbdel Halim Harrath
Zoology Department College of Science, King Saud University, P O Box 2455, Riyadh, 11451, Saudi Arabia
Cell Tissue Res 358:607-20. 2014..confirmed that the nuclei of the majority of differentiating oocytes were TUNEL-positive, whereas the nuclei of oogonia and young oocytes were TUNEL-negative; in the normal ovary, oocytes are TUNEL-negative...
- Ontogeny of immunoreactive Lh and Fsh cells in relation to early ovarian differentiation and development in protogynous hermaphroditic ricefield eel Monopterus albusYangsheng Wu
Institute of Aquatic Economic Animals, School of Life Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Biol Reprod 86:93. 2012..Lhb-immunoreactive signals were first detected in the pituitary around 40 days after hatching (dah) when the oogonia transitioned into early primary growth oocytes, and the intensity of immunoreactivity increased concomitantly ..
- Vasa protein is localized in the germ cells and in the oocyte-associated pyriform follicle cells during early oogenesis in the lizard Podarcis siculaMaria G Maurizii
Dipartimento di Biologia Evoluzionistica Sperimentale, Universita di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Dev Genes Evol 219:361-7. 2009..Here, we analyze the distribution of Vasa in early germ cells (oogonia and oocytes) and previtellogenic ovarian follicles of the lizard Podarcis sicula...
- Maternal age and chromosomally abnormal pregnancies: what we know and what we wish we knewTerry Hassold
School of Molecular Biosciences and Center for Reproductive Biology, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 21:703-8. 2009..Thus, as women approach the end of their child-bearing years, errors of chromosome segregation represent the most important impediment to a successful pregnancy...
- Sexual plasticity of ovarian germ cells in rainbow troutGoro Yoshizaki
Department of Marine Biosciences, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, 4 5 7 Konan, Minato ku, Tokyo, Japan
Development 137:1227-30. 2010..Ovarian germ cells containing oogonia and early oocytes isolated from female rainbow trout were transplanted into the peritoneal cavities of hatching-..
- Embryonic pathogenesis of hypogonadism and renal hypoplasia in hgn/hgn rats characterized by male sterility, reduced female fertility and progressive renal insufficiencyHiroetsu Suzuki
Laboratory of Veterinary Physiology, Nippon Veterinary and Life Science University, Tokyo, Japan
Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 47:34-44. 2007..The hgn/hgn ovaries contained a small number of oogonia at ED 15.5 and oocytes after ED 17.5. Testicular growth defects were obvious after ED 17...
- Two clonal lineages of Phytophthora citrophthora from citrus in South Africa represent a single phylogenetic speciesChristoffel F J Spies
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag X1, Matieland, 7602, South Africa
Mycologia 106:1106-18. 2014..G2 lineage including CTR1 reference isolates) mating-type isolates were paired in all possible combinations, no oogonia or antheridia were produced. This suggests that only tester strains P...
- Beta-endorphin disrupts seasonal and FSH-induced ovarian recrudescence in the lizard Mabuya carinataC B Ganesh
Department of Zoology, Karnatak Science College, Dharwad 580 001, India
Gen Comp Endocrinol 133:305-13. 2003..follicles in the ovary and significantly lower weight of the ovary and the oviduct and the mean number of oogonia, oocytes, and primordial follicles compared to those of FSH-treated lizards...
- Development of bovine nuclear transfer embryos made with oogoniaM C Lavoir
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Canada
Biol Reprod 56:194-9. 1997..To investigate the pluripotency of bovine oogonia, the development in vitro of bovine embryos reconstructed by fusing oogonia with enucleated oocytes was compared ..
- Mitochondrial DNA segregation in the developing embryoE A Shoubridge
Montreal Neurological Institute and Department of Human Genetics, McGill University, Canada
Hum Reprod 15:229-34. 2000..Segregation is rapid because the precursor cells (primordial germ cells and oogonia) contain a relatively small number of mtDNA templates (the bottleneck) and because the replication of mtDNA is ..
- Developmental Gene-Environment Interactions and Premature Ovarian FailureUlrike Luderer; Fiscal Year: 2013..to PAHs by increasing PAH metabolism-related reactive oxygen species that initiate programmed cell death of oogonia. The specific aims are: (1) To examine the roles of reactive oxygen species and oxidative damage in premature ..
- MICROTUBULE/KERATIN INTERACTIONS DURING SPERMATOGENESISABRAHAM KIERSZENBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2002..Engineering mouse models in which the expression of K9 is null, is important for both reproductive biology and cancer research. ..
- Progestogen Inhibition of Ovarian Cancer Cell MetastasisWilliam Murdoch; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Cytoplasmic Reactivation of p53 Family MembersCharles Walker; Fiscal Year: 2004..Overexpression might overwhelm mechanisms that sequester these proteins in the cytoplasm of leukemic clam hemocytes and lead to a resumption of clam p53 and/or p63/73-induced apoptosis. ..
- Regulation of spermatogonial stem cells by vitamin ADerek McLean; Fiscal Year: 2007..The current proposal is novel because this is the first time that the effect of a factor, such as vitamin A, on SSC differentiation has been evaluated. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cytogenetic Analysis of Recombination in the Human MaleTerry Hassold; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Transmission genetics of mammalian mitochondrial DNAEric Shoubridge; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- A PROGRAM OF RESEARCH IN POPULATION CYTOGENETICSTerry J Hassold; Fiscal Year: 2010....