Genomes and Genes
ampulla of vater
Summary: A dilation of the duodenal papilla that is the opening of the juncture of the COMMON BILE DUCT and the MAIN PANCREATIC DUCT, also known as the hepatopancreatic ampulla.
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of VaterZ Stojsic
Institute of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Dr Subotica 1 II, 11000, Belgrade, Serbia
Med Oncol 27:1144-8. 2010..in extrapulmonary sites like the gastrointestinal tract, and only few examples have been described in the ampulla of Vater. A new case of large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater in a 60-year-old man is reported...
- Can endoscopic resection be applied for early stage ampulla of Vater cancer?Sun Young Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Konkuk University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 63:783-8. 2006Although endoscopic resection can provide a wide tumor resection with a negative resection margin, it is not yet recommended as a curative therapy for ampulla of Vater cancer.
- Carcinoid tumors of the duodenum and the ampulla of Vater: current diagnostic and therapeutic approach in a series of 8 patients. Case seriesGeorge C Nikou
Section of Gastrointestinal Neuroendocrinology, First Department of Propaedeutic Internal Medicine of Athens University Medical School, Laiko Hospital, Athens, Greece
Int J Surg 9:248-53. 2011..To describe the specific characteristics of duodenal/perivaterian carcinoids and to analyze the diagnostic/therapeutic approach...
- Carcinoid tumors of the duodenum and ampulla of vater: a clinicomorphologic, immunohistochemical, and cell kinetic comparisonL Bornstein-Quevedo
Department of Pathology, , , Mexico City, Mexico
Hum Pathol 32:1252-6. 2001Carcinoid tumors of the ampulla of Vater (ACs) differ from duodenal carcinoid tumors (DCs). A search for AC and DC was made between 1980 and 2000. The clinicopathologic features and follow-up were assessed...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of vaterAlberto Cavazza
Department of Pathology, S Maria Nuova Hospital, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:221-3. 2003We report a large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma arising in the ampulla of Vater. The patient, a 74-year-old woman, presented with a 3-cm ulcerated mass located in the ampullary region. She died of disease 8 months after surgery...
- Focal early stage cancer in ampullary adenoma: surgery or endoscopic papillectomy?Soon Man Yoon
Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 66:701-7. 2007..However, there are only anecdotal reports of endoscopic management of "focal" T1 ampullary cancer (T1 cancer), and radical surgery is still considered the only accepted treatment modality...
- Osteopontin-positive infiltrating tumor-associated macrophages in bulky ampullary cancer predict survivalHui Ping Hsu
Department of Surgery, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Cancer Biol Ther 10:144-54. 2010..Osteopontin (OPN) is overexpressed in several human cancer cells and in TAMs. Therefore, we set out to determine the role of OPN-expressing macrophages in cancer...
- Association of ampullary and colorectal malignanciesAnanya Das
Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Cancer 100:524-30. 2004Because of the similarities in terms of carcinogenesis and natural history between cancer of the ampulla of Vater and colorectal cancer, the authors examined whether ampullary and colorectal malignancies occur in the same individuals at ..
- Mucins and CD56 as markers of tumour invasion and prognosis in periampullary cancerM M Aloysius
Division of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre, National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Br J Surg 97:1269-78. 2010..This study investigated the association of mucins and cluster of differentiation (CD) 56 with vascular and perineural invasion and survival in patients with periampullary cancer...
- Lymph node involvement and not the histophatologic subtype is correlated with outcome after resection of adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of vaterLuciana Bertocco de Paiva Haddad
Digestive Surgery Division, Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, R Aracaju 42, AP 41, Higienopolis, São Paulo 0501240030, Brazil
J Gastrointest Surg 14:719-28. 2010..The aim of the present study was to determine the best immunohistochemical panel for tumor classification and to analyze the survival of patients having these histological types of adenocarcinoma...
- Cytokeratin 20 (CK20) and apomucin 1 (MUC1) expression in ampullary carcinoma: Correlation with tumor progression and prognosisYasunari Kawabata
Department of Digestive and General Surgery, Shimane University Faculty of Medicine, 89 1 Enyacho, Izumo, Shimane 693 8501, Japan
Diagn Pathol 5:75. 2010..We assessed the expression of cytokeratin (CK) and apomucin (MUC) in ampullary carcinoma (AC) to develop a system for the classification of ACs on the basis of their clinical significance...
- Role of adjuvant chemoradiation therapy in adenocarcinomas of the ampulla of vaterSunil Krishnan
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:735-43. 2008..We retrospectively compared treatment outcomes in patients treated with pancreaticoduodenectomy alone versus those who received additional adjuvant CRT...
- Risk factors for acute pancreatitis after endoscopic papillary balloon dilationMasanori Sugiyama
First Department of Surgery, Kyorin University School of Medicine, 6 20 2 Shinkawa, Mitaka, Tokyo 181 8611, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1796-8. 2003..Although EPBD (endoscopic papillary balloon dilation) may cause acute pancreatitis, risk factors for post-EPBD pancreatitis have not been well described. We retrospectively analyzed risk factors predictive of acute pancreatitis after EPBD...
- Outcome of pancreaticoduodenectomy and impact of adjuvant therapy for ampullary carcinomasJ H Lee
Departments of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 47:945-53. 2000..To determine the clinical outcomes and potential impact of adjuvant chemoradiation in patients undergoing surgical resection of ampullary carcinoma...
- Pathogenesis of carcinoma of the papilla of VaterHans Peter Fischer
Department of Pathology, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, D 53127, Bonn, Germany
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 11:301-9. 2004..Consequently, the histologic classification should reflect the histogenesis of ampullary tumors from the two different types of papillary mucosa...
- Endoscopic balloon dilation of the biliary sphincter compared to endoscopic biliary sphincterotomy for removal of common bile duct stones during ERCP: a metaanalysis of randomized, controlled trialsTodd H Baron
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Medical Center, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1455-60. 2004..To compare the effect of endoscopic balloon dilation (EPBD) of the papilla with that of endoscopic biliary sphincterotomy (EST) in the treatment of patients with common bile duct stones...
- ERCP in patients with long-limb Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy and intact papillaByron E Wright
Department of Surgery, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55415, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 56:225-32. 2002..ERCP by means of long-limb Roux-en-Y surgical anastomoses has been reported primarily in patients with biliary or pancreatic anastamoses, but rarely in patients with an intact papilla...
- High-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of vater: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 14 casesHind Nassar
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:588-94. 2005..the clinical and pathologic features of 14 cases of high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (HGNEC) of the ampulla of Vater classified according to WHO classification of lung tumors into small cell carcinoma (SCC, 6 cases) and large ..
- Clinicopathologic analysis of ampullary neoplasms in 450 patients: implications for surgical strategy and long-term prognosisJordan M Winter
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Halsted 610, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 14:379-87. 2010..We sought to examine the outcome of patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy versus ampullectomy, as well as to identify factors predictive of lymph node metastasis in patients with ampullary neoplasms...
- Carcinogenesis of cancer of the papilla and ampulla: pathophysiological facts and molecular biological mechanismsI Esposito
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Inselspital, Switzerland
Langenbecks Arch Surg 386:163-71. 2001....
- Carcinoid of the ampulla of VaterMark Hartel
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:676-81. 2005Endocrine neoplasms only rarely occur at the ampulla of Vater, comprising mostly carcinoids and malignant carcinoids, as well as few cases of poorly differentiated endocrine carcinomas (small cell carcinomas)...
- What is an appropriate indication for endoscopic papillary balloon dilation?Masaaki Natsui
Department of Internal Medicine, Niigata Prefectural Shibata Hospital, Shibata, Japan
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:635-40. 2002..In this study, we have evaluated the efficacy and safety of EPBD compared with endoscopic sphincterotomy (EST)...
- Incidence of cancer of the pancreas, extrahepatic bile duct and ampulla of Vater in the United States, before and after the introduction of laparoscopic cholecystectomyD R Urbach
Department of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Surgical Research, Legacy Health System, Portland, Oregon, USA
Am J Surg 181:526-8. 2001..Some epidemiologic studies have identified cholecystectomy as a risk factor for pancreatic and biliary cancer...
- Small pancreatic and periampullary neuroendocrine tumors: resect or enucleate?Susan C Pitt
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5124, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 13:1692-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to compare the outcomes of enucleation versus resection in patients with small pancreatic, ampullary, and duodenal neuroendocrine tumors (NETs)...
- Ectopic pancreas presenting as ampulla of Vater tumorSheng Der Hsu
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Surg 195:498-500. 2008..Herein, we report a patient presenting with symptoms of ampullary tumor with obstructive jaundice, but the imaging study did not suggest the possibility of ectopic pancreas preoperatively...
- Impact of lymph node metastasis on survival in patients with pathological T1 carcinoma of the ampulla of VaterHiroshi Terasawa
Second Department of Surgery, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Japan
J Gastrointest Surg 10:823-8. 2006To determine the prognostic factors for patients with pathological T1 (pT1) carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater, 36 consecutive patients with carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater who underwent surgery were retrospectively analyzed in terms of ..
- Surgical technique for complete resection of the extrahepatic portion of the common bile duct and the ampulla of Vater for tumors of the ampulla of VaterKoichi Aiura
Department of Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinanomachi 35, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 18:276-81. 2011..Local resection can be the procedure of choice in selected ampullary lesions for high-risk patients...
- Limitations of ampullectomy in the treatment of nonfamilial ampullary neoplasmsKevin K Roggin
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 12:971-80. 2005....
- Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the major duodenal papilla: case reportMark Hartel
Department of General Surgery, Institute of Pathology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 60:838-41. 2004
- Is endosonography an effective method for detection and local staging of the ampullary carcinoma? A prospective studyPanagiotis Skordilis
University Hospital of Crete, Gastroenterology Department
BMC Surg 2:1. 2002The relatively rare carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater is a neoplasia with a good prognosis compared to pancreatic cancer. Preoperative staging is important in planning the most suitable surgical intervention.
- Minute ampullary carcinoid tumor with lymph node metastases: a case report and review of literatureEri Senda
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Shinko Hospital, Kobe, Hyogo, Japan
World J Surg Oncol 7:9. 2009..One of the factors indicating the malignancy of these tumors is their size, and small ampullary carcinoid tumors have been sometimes treated by endoscopic resection...
- Tumors of the ampulla of vater: histopathologic classification and predictors of survivalJonathan T Carter
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0475, USA
J Am Coll Surg 207:210-8. 2008..The histology and clinical behavior of ampullary tumors vary substantially. We speculated that this might reflect the presence of two kinds of ampullary adenocarcinoma: pancreaticobiliary and intestinal...
- [Collision tumor of the ampulla of Vater: carcinoid and adenocarcinoma]J Ferrando Marco
Servicios de Anatomia Patologica, Hospital de Sagunto, Valencia
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 99:235-8. 2007..Both were confirmed by immunohistochemical analysis. According to the literature reviewed, this is the sixth reported case of this rare neoplastic association...
- Signet ring cell carcinoma of the ampulla of vater. A case reportYuji Ishibashi
Division of Surgery, National Hospital Organization Disaster Medical Center, Tokyo 190 0014, Japan
JOP 10:690-3. 2009Signet ring cell carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater is extremely rare and only 12 cases have previously been described in the English language literature...
- The clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical characteristics of ampulla of Vater carcinoma: the intestinal type is associated with a better prognosisYoung Hoon Roh
Department of Surgery, Dong A University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Hepatogastroenterology 54:1641-4. 2007..expression patterns and patient survival for the intestinal type (IT) and the pancreatobiliary type (PT) of ampulla of Vater carcinoma. Ampulla of Vater carcinoma can be classified histologically into either IT or PT...
- Preoperative evaluation of ampullary neoplasm with EUS and transpapillary intraductal US: a prospective and histopathologically controlled studyKei Ito
Department of Gastroenterology, Sendai City Medical Center, Sendai, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 66:740-7. 2007..Endoscopic papillectomy is performed in selected patients with ampullary neoplasm, and, thus, accurate preoperative tumor staging is indispensable for its application...
- Incidental small ampullary somatostatinoma treated with ampullectomy 2 years after diagnosisG Guercioni
Department of General Surgery, Ancona University Hospital, Ancona, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 51:1767-72. 2006..We report a case of a small pure somatostatin-producing neuroendocrine tumor of ampulla of Vater in a 54-year-old woman with neither neurofibromatosis nor somatostatinoma syndrome, "incidentally" discovered ..
- Signet-ring cell carcinoma of the ampulla of VaterLin Li
Department of Pathology, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 34:471-5. 2004..SRCC of the ampulla of Vater is extremely uncommon with < 12 cases reported in the literature...
- A collision tumor composed of cancers of the bile duct and ampulla of Vater--immunohistochemical analysis of a rare entity of double cancerSeiko Hirono
Second Department of Surgery, Wakayama Medical University School of Medicine, Wakayama, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 55:861-4. 2008..As a result, it was concluded that this was a case of collision cancer of the middle bile duct and the papilla of Vater...
- Adenosquamous cell carcinoma arising from the papilla majorNozomi Ueno
Department of Surgery, Kita Osaka Hospital, Yodogawa ku, 532 0004 Osaka, Japan
Oncol Rep 9:317-20. 2002..This is the first report on a case of adenosquamous carcinoma of the papilla major...
- Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of vater: Report of a caseSo Sen Huang
Department of Surgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Section 3, 160 Chung Kang Road, Taichung, Taiwan
Surg Today 36:1032-5. 2006Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma in the ampulla of Vater is rare and very different from the common ampullary adenocarcinoma. A 59-year-old man was admitted with obstructive jaundice...
- Transduodenal local resection for low-risk group ampulla of vater carcinomaJoon Seong Park
Department of Surgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:737-42. 2007Carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater has a more favorable prognosis, compared to other malignant tumors of the periampullary region, because it usually presents with symptoms in the early stage...
- The efficacy of frontline platinum-based combination chemotherapy in advanced adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of VaterSeung Tae Kim
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Irwon dong, Gangnam Gu, Seoul, South Korea
Med Oncol 27:1149-54. 2010Adenocarcinoma arising from the ampulla of Vater is a rare neoplasm that accounts for only 0.2% of all gastrointestinal tract malignancies and has limited data regarding its frontline therapy...
- Balloon-catheter-assisted endoscopic snare papillectomy for benign tumors of the major duodenal papillaKoichi Aiura
Center for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy, Keio University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 57:743-7. 2003..An endoscopic snare papillectomy technique was devised using a balloon catheter inserted into the common bile duct to more efficiently resect papillary tumors en bloc...
- Prognostic significance of extracapsular lymph node involvement in patients with adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of VaterN A van der Gaag
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre at the University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 95:735-43. 2008Lymphatic dissemination is an important predictor of survival in patients with adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater. The incidence and clinical consequences of extracapsular lymph node involvement (LNI) in patients who undergo resection ..
- Pancreas-preserving biliary amputation with pancreatic diversion: a new surgical technique for complete resection of the intrapancreatic biliary systemSatoshi Kondo
Department of Surgical Oncology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine N15 W7 Kita ku, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1255-8. 2004..Pancreas-preserving biliary amputation has been developed as an organ-preserving procedure alternative to pancreatoduodenectomy. Indications, methods of pancreatic reconstruction, and long-term results require further study...
- Carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: factors influencing long-term survival of 127 patients with resectionQi Lu Qiao
Department of Surgery, First Hospital, Peking University, Beijing, 100034, China
World J Surg 31:137-43; discussion 144-6. 2007The prognosis for patients with carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater is improved relative to other periampullary neoplasms...
- Carcinoid of the ampulla of Vater: morphologic features and clinical implicationsGeorge A Poultsides
Department of Surgery, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
World J Gastroenterol 12:7058-60. 2006Carcinoids involving the ampulla of Vater are rare lesions that may produce painless jaundice...
- Local resection of ampullary tumorsAdam T Meneghetti
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco VA Medical Center, California 94121 0112, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 9:1300-6. 2005..No adenomas recurred as carcinomas, suggesting that local resection is appropriate for these tumors in the absence of dysplasia or atypia on preoperative biopsies...
- Signet-ring cell carcinoma of ampulla of Vater: contrast-enhanced ultrasound findingsJin Mei Gao
Department of Ultrasound, Shengjing Hospital of China University, Shenyang, Liaoning Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 15:888-91. 2009Signet-ring cell carcinoma (SRCC) of ampulla of Vater is extremely uncommon, and less than 15 cases have been reported so far in literature. It mainly occurs in elderly people (median age 57 years)...
- Reappraisal of endosonography of ampullary tumors: correlation with transabdominal sonography, CT, and MRIChien Hua Chen
Digestive Disease Center, Changhua Show Chwan Memorial Hospital, Changhua 500, Taiwan
J Clin Ultrasound 37:18-25. 2009..To reappraise the accuracy of transabdominal sonography (US), CT, MRI, and endosonography (EUS) in the diagnosis and staging of ampullary tumors...
- Feasibility of endoscopic papillectomy in early stage ampulla of Vater cancerSang Myung Woo
Department of Internal Medicine and Liver Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:120-4. 2009..The present study was designed to assess the factors that predict malignancy and lymph node metastasis and to suggest potential indications for endoscopic papillectomy by analyzing clinicopathological data...
- Clinical features of 20 patients with curatively resected biliary neuroendocrine tumoursJaihwan Kim
Department of Internal Medicine and Liver Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Dig Liver Dis 43:965-70. 2011..Neuroendocrine tumours very rarely occur in the biliary tract; information about them is limited...
- Patterns and predictors of failure after curative resections of carcinoma of the ampulla of VaterTakeshi Todoroki
Departments of Surgery, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba shi, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 10:1176-83. 2003..Curative resection does not always equate with long-term survival. The aim was to identify patterns and predictors of failure and independent factors of prognosis after curative resection...
- Radical resection in signet ring carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: report of an 11-year survivorMark Bloomston
Division of Surgical Oncology, James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Am Surg 72:193-5. 2006Carcinomas of the ampulla of Vater are uncommon tumors but have a better prognosis than typical pancreatic cancers. They tend to be well or moderately differentiated while the poorly differentiated variants are still quite aggressive...
- Neuroendocrine tumors of the ampulla of Vater: biological behavior and surgical managementJonathan T Carter
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, 4 Koret Way, LR 101, Box 0475, San Francisco, CA 94143 0475, USA
Arch Surg 144:527-31. 2009..To describe the biological behavior and surgical management of ampullary neuroendocrine tumors in 7 patients...
- Gross appearance of the ampullary tumor predicts lymph node metastasis and outcomeMasato Kayahara
Division of Cancer Medicine, Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan masatok staff kanazawa u ac jp
Dig Surg 27:127-31. 2010..Patterns of lymph node involvement in carcinoma of the papilla of Vater (CPV) have not been studied in detail to date, and factors associated with lymphatic metastases and surgical outcome of this disease remain to be determined...
- Carcinoids and high-grade neuroendocrine carcinomas of the ampulla of vater: a comparative analysis of 139 cases from the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results program-a population based studyJorge Albores-Saavedra
Department of Pathology, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Vasco de Quiroga, Tlalpan, Mexico
Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:1692-6. 2010Neuroendocrine tumors of the ampulla of Vater constitute a heterogeneous group of neoplasms clinically and morphologically. Because they are rare, little is known about their demographics and biologic behavior.
- Signet-ring cell carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: report of a caseTomotaka Akatsu
Department of Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Surg Today 37:1110-4. 2007Signet-ring cell carcinoma (SRCC) of the ampulla of Vater is uncommon, and only 13 cases have been previously described. We herein report a rare case of a 43-year-old woman with SRCC in the ampulla of Vater...
- Phase II study of capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced adenocarcinoma of the small bowel and ampulla of VaterMichael J Overman
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 426, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:2598-603. 2009Adenocarcinomas of the small bowel and ampulla of Vater represent rare cancers that have limited data regarding first-line therapy...
- Invasive micropapillary carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater with extensive lymph node metastasis: Report of a caseTakeo Fujita
Division of Digestive Surgery, National Cancer Center Hospital East, 6 5 1 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, 277 8577, Japan
Surg Today 40:1197-200. 2010..revealed a tumor in the periampullary region, and pancreatoduodenectomy was performed for cancer of the ampulla of Vater. Microscopic examination of the resected specimen revealed a tumor composed mainly of carcinoma cells ..
- Muir-Torre syndrome: a case for surveillance of the ampulla of VaterJ J Matthews
Department of Surgery, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
Dig Surg 19:65-6. 2002..of multiple sebaceous tumours and kerato-acanthomas with internal malignancies, developed a carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater. This is the 2nd reported ampullary carcinoma in 205 reported cases of MTS, suggesting a higher prevalence in ..
- Carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater associated with other organ malignanciesN Eriguchi
Department of Surgery, Sasebo Kyosai Hospital, 10-17 Shimanji-cho, Sasebo 857-8575, Japan
Kurume Med J 48:255-9. 2001Because of its location with respect to the biliary system, carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater is considered to manifest earlier in its course of development than carcinoma of the pancreas...
- Frequency of colorectal polyps in patients with sporadic adenomas or adenocarcinomas of the papilla of vater--an age-matched, controlled studyA R J Schneider
Medical Department I, University Hospital, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 43:1123-7. 2005..Patients with familial adenomatous polyposis bear a particularly increased risk for periampullary tumors. Data on whether the prevalence of colorectal tumors is increased in patients with sporadic ampullary neoplasms are scarce...
- Duodenojejunal intussusception secondary to hamartomatous polyps of duodenum surrounding the ampulla of VaterC S Hwang
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Departments of Surgery and Pathology, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Pediatr Surg 36:1073-5. 2001..This is the third case report of children in literature, but this is the first case of a child with intussusception surrounding the ampulla of Vater and a successful excision performed without damaging the ampulla of Vater.
- The inability to visualize the ampulla of Vater is an inherent limitation of capsule endoscopyWarwick S Selby
AW Morrow Gastroenterology and Liver Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:101-3. 2011Lesions missed by capsule endoscopy (CE) have been reported and this may be partly because of the properties of the capsule. We aimed to compare the ability of Pillcam SB1, SB2, ESO1 and ESO2 to identify the ampulla of Vater (AoV).
- Guidelines for the management of biliary tract and ampullary carcinomas: surgical treatmentSatoshi Kondo
Department of Surgical Oncology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 15:41-54. 2008..The prognostic factors after resection for ampullary carcinoma include lymph node metastasis, pancreatic invasion, and perineural invasion...
- Esophageal squamous cell carcinoma with metastasis to the ampullaJayaprakash Sreenarasimhaiah
Department of Gastroenterology, Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 62:310-1; discussion 311. 2005
- Expression of CD24, P-cadherin and S100A4 in tumors of the ampulla of VaterDaniel Baumhoer
Institute of Pathology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Mod Pathol 22:306-13. 2009..therefore investigated their expression in 177 carcinoma, 114 adenoma and 152 normal mucosa specimens of the ampulla of Vater. Although the expression of the cell adhesion proteins did not differ between the carcinoma subtypes, marked ..
- Carcinomas of the pancreas, gallbladder, extrahepatic bile ducts, and ampulla of vater share a field for carcinogenesis: a population-based studyDonald Earl Henson
George Washington University Cancer Institute, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:67-71. 2009Carcinomas co-occur in the pancreas, extrahepatic bile ducts, and ampulla of Vater. We investigated whether cancers originating in these sites represent a field effect similar to that observed in the lung and upper aerodigestive tract.
- Pancreatoduodenectomy using a no-touch isolation techniqueMasahiko Hirota
Department of Surgery, Kumamoto Regional Medical Center, 5 16 10 Honjo, Kumamoto City, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Am J Surg 199:e65-8. 2010..In an effort to overcome these problems, we have developed a surgical technique for no-touch pancreatoduodenectomy...
- Predictors for patterns of failure after pancreaticoduodenectomy in ampullary cancerHui Ping Hsu
Department of Surgery, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, 138, Sheng Li Road, Tainan, 70428, Taiwan, ROC
Ann Surg Oncol 14:50-60. 2007..The current study tried to find the predictors for recurrence to be used as determinative for postoperative adjuvant therapy...
- Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy for "unfavorable" carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: preliminary reportV K Mehta
Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Dr, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Arch Surg 136:65-9. 2001..Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy decreases the risk of local recurrence in patients with adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater and high-risk features...
- Surgical management of neoplasms of the ampulla of Vater: local resection or pancreatoduodenectomy and prognostic factors for survivalS M M de Castro
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Surgery 136:994-1002. 2004Neoplasms of the ampulla of Vater have a better 5-year survival than pancreatic and bile duct neoplasms after resection...
- Recurrent disease after microscopically radical (R0) resection of periampullary adenocarcinoma in patients without adjuvant therapySteve M M de Castro
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Gastrointest Surg 8:775-84; discussion 784. 2004..Patients with ampulla of Vater and distal common bile duct adenocarcinoma indicate a much more favorable prognosis...
- Immunohistochemical study of mucin expression in periampullary adenomyomaMichiyo Higashi
Department of Human Pathology, Field of Oncology, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, 890 8544, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 17:275-83. 2010....
- Improved survival for adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: fifty-five consecutive resectionsJohn P Duffy
Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, 90095, USA
Arch Surg 138:941-8; discussion 948-50. 2003After resection of an adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater, certain clinical and pathologic characteristics influence long-term survival.
- Hepatocyte nuclear factor (HNF) 4α expression distinguishes ampullary cancer subtypes and prognosis after resectionFlorian Ehehalt
Department of General, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Dresden, Germany
Ann Surg 254:302-10. 2011..To investigate biological differences and prognostic indicators of different ampullary cancer (AC) subtypes...
- Risk of subsequent primary cancers in patients with carcinoma of the Ampulla of VaterA Moran
Centre for Cancer Epidemiology, University of Manchester, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, UK
Br J Cancer 76:1232-3. 1997..Four cancers were identified compared with 6.62 expected (relative risk 0.60), suggesting that individuals with ampullary carcinoma are not at increased risk of developing subsequent primary cancers...
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: a clinicopathologic evaluationEswaran Selvakumar
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Government Stanley Medical College Hospital, Chennai 600001, Tamilnadu, India
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 7:422-5. 2008Only 105 cases of neuroendocrine tumor (NET) of the ampulla of Vater have been described, mostly as single case reports. The incidence of NET is rising. The changes in incidence may result from changes in detection...
- Adjuvant therapy for ampullary carcinomas: the Mayo Clinic experienceSumita Bhatia
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:514-9. 2006To determine the effects of adjuvant radiotherapy and chemotherapy for carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater.
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy is curative in the majority of patients with node-negative ampullary cancerKimberly M Brown
Department of Surgery, Section of Surgical Oncology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Arch Surg 140:529-32; discussion 532-3. 2005..Survival following resection for ampullary carcinoma may be influenced by 1 or more clinical or pathologic variables...
- Expression of MUC1 and MUC2 in ampullary cancerToshiyuki Moriya
Yamagata University, Yamagata, Japan
Int J Surg Pathol 19:441-7. 2011..Mucins are high-molecular-weight glycoproteins that play important roles in carcinogenesis or tumor invasion. The authors investigated the expression of mucins in ampullary cancer...
- Differentiation pathways in duodenal and ampullary carcinomas: a comparative study on mucin and trefoil peptide expression, including gastric and colon carcinomasYesim Gurbuz
Department of Pathology, University of Kocaeli, Turkey
Virchows Arch 444:536-41. 2004..This also holds for ampullary carcinomas. Among the markers used, MUC5AC, MUC6 and TFF1 are most useful for revealing differentiation pathways in duodenal and ampullary carcinoma...
- Adjuvant chemoradiation versus surgery alone for adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of VaterJessica Zhou
Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 401 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Radiother Oncol 92:244-8. 2009..To examine the role of adjuvant chemoradiation (CRT) in patients with resected ampullary adenocarcinoma...
- To cut or stretch?Henning Gerke
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1461-3. 2004..4% vs 4.3%). In addition, 20% of EPBD cases required "rescue" EST. EPBD should probably be reserved for special indications, such as uncorrected or anticipated coagulopathy, and unfavorable endoscopic anatomy for EST...
- Mucin 2 (MUC2) and mucin 5 (MUC5) expression is not associated with prognosis in patients with radically resected ampullary carcinomaD Santini
Università Campus Bio Medico, Via E Longoni no degrees 83, 00155 Rome, Italy
J Clin Pathol 60:1069-70. 2007
- Signet-ring-cell carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: a case reportTakashi Hara
Department of Surgery, Kin I Kyo Chuou Hospital, 15 1, 10 jo, 2 chome, Fushiko, Higashi ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 007 8505 Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 49:561-3. 2002We encountered a rare variant of carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater in a 68-year-old man with postprandial abdominal pain and nausea. Ultrasonography and computed tomography showed a dilated common bile duct and main pancreatic duct...
- Ampullary cancerStefan Heinrich
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Swiss HPB Center, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 26:280-5. 2010..This manuscript reviews the recent literature on ampullary cancer, including new staging definitions, histological characteristics and treatment options...
- Mixed acinar-endocrine carcinoma arising in the ampulla of VaterJoel T Moncur
Department of Pathology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307, USA
Hum Pathol 33:449-51. 2002..The present article is the first reported case of an acinar cell carcinoma arising in the periampullary region of the duodenum, possibly in a focus of pancreatic heterotopia...
- Mutational profiling of kinases in human tumours of pancreatic origin identifies candidate cancer genes in ductal and ampulla of vater carcinomasVincenzo Corbo
ARC NET Research Center, University of Verona, Policlinico GB Rossi, Verona, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e12653. 2010..Tumours of the pancreas are aggressive neoplasms for which no effective therapeutic strategy is currently available...
- MK-1 expression in carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater as a predictor of improved prognosis after surgical resectionYoshihiro Hamada
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, 7 45 1 Nanakuma, Jonan ku, Fukuoka 814 0180, Japan
Cancer Lett 243:211-6. 2006This retrospective study investigated the prognostic significance of MK-1 expression in human carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater (CAV)...
- Maspin expression in adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: relation with clinicopathological parameters and apoptosisStella Blandamura
Section of Pathological Anatomy, Department of Medico Diagnostic Sciences and Special Therapies, University of Padova, Via Gabelli 61, 35121 Padova, Italy
Anticancer Res 27:1059-65. 2007..The aim of the present study was to investigate the role of maspin in ampullary adenocarcinomas, its correlation with apoptosis and its value as a prognostic marker...
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy: a 20-year experience in 516 patientsC Max Schmidt
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
Arch Surg 139:718-25; discussion 725-7. 2004..Pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD) is a safe procedure for a variety of periampullary conditions...
- Carcinoid of the ampulla of Vater. Clinical characteristics and morphologic featuresE Hatzitheoklitos
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Berne, Switzerland
Cancer 73:1580-8. 1994Carcinoid tumors of the gastrointestinal tract are most common localized in the appendix, followed by the small intestine, the rectum, and the stomach. The localization of these tumors at the ampulla of Vater is extremely seldom.
- A carcinoid tumor of the ampulla of Vater treated by endoscopic snare papillectomyDae Keun Pyun
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan Collage of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Intern Med 19:257-60. 2004Here, a case of a patient with incidental finding of a carcinoid tumor of the ampulla of Vater, who was treated with endoscopic snare papillectomy, is reported...
- COX-2 expression of ampullary carcinoma: correlation with different histotypes and clinicopathological parametersGiuseppe Perrone
Surgical Pathology, Campus Bio Medico University, Via Emilio Longoni, Rome, 83 00155, Italy
Virchows Arch 449:334-40. 2006..Furthermore, the high rate of COX-2 expression in the intestinal subtype of ampullary carcinoma may represent the rational for a histotype-tailored therapy targeting COX-2...
- Nodal involvement as an indicator of postoperative liver metastasis in carcinoma of the papilla of VaterToshiyuki Moriya
Gastroenterology and General Surgery, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Yamagata, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 13:549-55. 2006..Although lymph node metastatic involvement is one of the most important prognostic factors for carcinoma of the papilla of Vater, a detailed analysis of this factor in relation to prognosis has not been conducted...
- Retroduodenal resection of ampullary carcinoid tumor in a patient with cavernous transformation of the portal veinShin Hwang
Division of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Department of Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Gastrointest Surg 11:1322-7. 2007..This report describes a carcinoid tumor of the ampulla of Vater for which pancreatoduodenectomy was not feasible because of diffuse cavernous transformation of the portal ..
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with or without pylorus preservation have similar outcomesRichard H Bell
Department of Surgery, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Cancer Treat Rev 31:328-31. 2005
- Endoscopic resection of an ampullary carcinoid presenting with upper gastrointestinal bleeding: a case report and review of the literatureNooman Gilani
Department of Medicine and Research, Gastroenterology Section, Carl T Hayden Veterans Administration Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
World J Gastroenterol 13:1268-70. 2007..We report a very rare case of a non-metastatic ampullary carcinoid causing upper gastrointestinal bleeding, which was managed by endoscopic ampullectomy...
- INJURY TO LIVER SINUSOIDAL ENDOTHELIAL CELLSSteven Strasberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..A potentially beneficial improvements in preservation solutions are identified they will be tested in whole isolated livers and by transplantation in the rat. ..
- COLLABORATIVE STUDY OF OVARIAN CANCER IN TWO RISK GROUPSMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dr. Anna Wu, the P.I. on the Los Angeles sub-contract during the first cycle of this grant, will assist with statistical analysis and the interpretation of results. ..
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Biomarkers of COX-2 inhibitors in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN)Christian Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such knowledge may also assist in the development of appropriate screening strategies involving HPV DNA detection that could be targeted at women who would benefit most from intensive follow-up. ..
- COLLABORATIVE STUDY OF OVARIAN CANCER IN TWO RISK GROUPSMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Collaborative Genetic Study of Ovarian Cancer RiskMarc T Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The identification of ovarian cancer susceptibility genes that are related to OSE wounding and post-ovulatory tissue remodeling might shed light on important vitamin D-associated pathways in the carcinogenic process. ..