Genomes and Genes
ampulla of vater
Summary: A dilation of the duodenal papilla that is the opening of the juncture of the COMMON BILE DUCT and the MAIN PANCREATIC DUCT, also known as the hepatopancreatic ampulla.
Publications228 found, 100 shown here
- Endoscopic balloon dilation of the biliary sphincter compared to endoscopic biliary sphincterotomy for removal of common bile duct stones during ERCP: a metaanalysis of randomized, controlled trialsTodd H Baron
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Medical Center, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1455-60. 2004..Although EPBD is theoretically attractive for use in young patients for biliary sphincter preservation, the rate of pancreatitis is higher with EPBD and cannot be routinely recommended at this time...
- Osteopontin-positive infiltrating tumor-associated macrophages in bulky ampullary cancer predict survivalHui Ping Hsu
Department of Surgery, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Cancer Biol Ther 10:144-54. 2010..Osteopontin (OPN) is overexpressed in several human cancer cells and in TAMs. Therefore, we set out to determine the role of OPN-expressing macrophages in cancer...
- Association of ampullary and colorectal malignanciesAnanya Das
Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Cancer 100:524-30. 2004BACKGROUND: Because of the similarities in terms of carcinogenesis and natural history between cancer of the ampulla of Vater and colorectal cancer, the authors examined whether ampullary and colorectal malignancies occur in the same ..
- Mucins and CD56 as markers of tumour invasion and prognosis in periampullary cancerM M Aloysius
Division of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre, National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Br J Surg 97:1269-78. 2010..This study investigated the association of mucins and cluster of differentiation (CD) 56 with vascular and perineural invasion and survival in patients with periampullary cancer...
- Outcome of pancreaticoduodenectomy and impact of adjuvant therapy for ampullary carcinomasJ H Lee
Departments of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 47:945-53. 2000..To determine the clinical outcomes and potential impact of adjuvant chemoradiation in patients undergoing surgical resection of ampullary carcinoma...
- Role of adjuvant chemoradiation therapy in adenocarcinomas of the ampulla of vaterSunil Krishnan
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:735-43. 2008..We retrospectively compared treatment outcomes in patients treated with pancreaticoduodenectomy alone versus those who received additional adjuvant CRT...
- Risk factors for acute pancreatitis after endoscopic papillary balloon dilationMasanori Sugiyama
First Department of Surgery, Kyorin University School of Medicine, 6 20 2 Shinkawa, Mitaka, Tokyo 181 8611, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1796-8. 2003..Although EPBD (endoscopic papillary balloon dilation) may cause acute pancreatitis, risk factors for post-EPBD pancreatitis have not been well described. We retrospectively analyzed risk factors predictive of acute pancreatitis after EPBD...
- Cytokeratin 20 (CK20) and apomucin 1 (MUC1) expression in ampullary carcinoma: Correlation with tumor progression and prognosisYasunari Kawabata
Department of Digestive and General Surgery, Shimane University Faculty of Medicine, 89 1 Enyacho, Izumo, Shimane 693 8501, Japan
Diagn Pathol 5:75. 2010..We assessed the expression of cytokeratin (CK) and apomucin (MUC) in ampullary carcinoma (AC) to develop a system for the classification of ACs on the basis of their clinical significance...
- Lymph node involvement and not the histophatologic subtype is correlated with outcome after resection of adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of vaterLuciana Bertocco de Paiva Haddad
Digestive Surgery Division, Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, R Aracaju 42, AP 41, Higienopolis, São Paulo 0501240030, Brazil
J Gastrointest Surg 14:719-28. 2010..The aim of the present study was to determine the best immunohistochemical panel for tumor classification and to analyze the survival of patients having these histological types of adenocarcinoma...
- Pathogenesis of carcinoma of the papilla of VaterHans-Peter Fischer
Department of Pathology, University of Bonn, Sigmund-Freud-Str. 25, D-53127, Bonn, Germany
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 11:301-9. 2004..Consequently, the histologic classification should reflect the histogenesis of ampullary tumors from the two different types of papillary mucosa...
- ERCP in patients with long-limb Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy and intact papillaByron E Wright
Department of Surgery, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55415, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 56:225-32. 2002..Once the major papilla was accessed with a duodenoscope, advanced biliary and pancreatic therapeutic techniques were feasible...
- Carcinoid of the ampulla of VaterMark Hartel
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:676-81. 2005Endocrine neoplasms only rarely occur at the ampulla of Vater, comprising mostly carcinoids and malignant carcinoids, as well as few cases of poorly differentiated endocrine carcinomas (small cell carcinomas)...
- Carcinogenesis of cancer of the papilla and ampulla: pathophysiological facts and molecular biological mechanismsI Esposito
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Inselspital, Switzerland
Langenbecks Arch Surg 386:163-71. 2001....
- What is an appropriate indication for endoscopic papillary balloon dilation?Masaaki Natsui
Department of Internal Medicine, Niigata Prefectural Shibata Hospital, Shibata, Japan
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:635-40. 2002..In this study, we have evaluated the efficacy and safety of EPBD compared with endoscopic sphincterotomy (EST)...
- Muir-Torre syndrome: a case for surveillance of the ampulla of VaterJ J Matthews
Department of Surgery, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
Dig Surg 19:65-6. 2002..of multiple sebaceous tumours and kerato-acanthomas with internal malignancies, developed a carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater. This is the 2nd reported ampullary carcinoma in 205 reported cases of MTS, suggesting a higher prevalence in ..
- Carcinomas of the pancreas, gallbladder, extrahepatic bile ducts, and ampulla of vater share a field for carcinogenesis: a population-based studyDonald Earl Henson
George Washington University Cancer Institute, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:67-71. 2009Carcinomas co-occur in the pancreas, extrahepatic bile ducts, and ampulla of Vater. We investigated whether cancers originating in these sites represent a field effect similar to that observed in the lung and upper aerodigestive tract.
- Pancreatoduodenectomy using a no-touch isolation techniqueMasahiko Hirota
Department of Surgery, Kumamoto Regional Medical Center, 5 16 10 Honjo, Kumamoto City, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Am J Surg 199:e65-8. 2010..In an effort to overcome these problems, we have developed a surgical technique for no-touch pancreatoduodenectomy...
- Expression of CD24, P-cadherin and S100A4 in tumors of the ampulla of VaterDaniel Baumhoer
Institute of Pathology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Mod Pathol 22:306-13. 2009..therefore investigated their expression in 177 carcinoma, 114 adenoma and 152 normal mucosa specimens of the ampulla of Vater. Although the expression of the cell adhesion proteins did not differ between the carcinoma subtypes, marked ..
- Guidelines for the management of biliary tract and ampullary carcinomas: surgical treatmentSatoshi Kondo
Department of Surgical Oncology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 15:41-54. 2008..The prognostic factors after resection for ampullary carcinoma include lymph node metastasis, pancreatic invasion, and perineural invasion...
- Frequency of colorectal polyps in patients with sporadic adenomas or adenocarcinomas of the papilla of vater--an age-matched, controlled studyA R J Schneider
Medical Department I, University Hospital, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 43:1123-7. 2005..Patients with familial adenomatous polyposis bear a particularly increased risk for periampullary tumors. Data on whether the prevalence of colorectal tumors is increased in patients with sporadic ampullary neoplasms are scarce...
- Carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater associated with other organ malignanciesN Eriguchi
Department of Surgery, Sasebo Kyosai Hospital, 10-17 Shimanji-cho, Sasebo 857-8575, Japan
Kurume Med J 48:255-9. 2001Because of its location with respect to the biliary system, carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater is considered to manifest earlier in its course of development than carcinoma of the pancreas...
- Carcinoid tumors of the duodenum and the ampulla of Vater: current diagnostic and therapeutic approach in a series of 8 patients. Case seriesGeorge C Nikou
Section of Gastrointestinal Neuroendocrinology, First Department of Propaedeutic Internal Medicine of Athens University Medical School, Laiko Hospital, Athens, Greece
Int J Surg 9:248-53. 2011..To describe the specific characteristics of duodenal/perivaterian carcinoids and to analyze the diagnostic/therapeutic approach...
- Duodenojejunal intussusception secondary to hamartomatous polyps of duodenum surrounding the ampulla of VaterC S Hwang
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Departments of Surgery and Pathology, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Pediatr Surg 36:1073-5. 2001..This is the third case report of children in literature, but this is the first case of a child with intussusception surrounding the ampulla of Vater and a successful excision performed without damaging the ampulla of Vater.
- Esophageal squamous cell carcinoma with metastasis to the ampullaJayaprakash Sreenarasimhaiah
Department of Gastroenterology, Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 62:310-1; discussion 311. 2005
- The inability to visualize the ampulla of Vater is an inherent limitation of capsule endoscopyWarwick S Selby
AW Morrow Gastroenterology and Liver Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:101-3. 2011Lesions missed by capsule endoscopy (CE) have been reported and this may be partly because of the properties of the capsule. We aimed to compare the ability of Pillcam SB1, SB2, ESO1 and ESO2 to identify the ampulla of Vater (AoV).
- Predictors for patterns of failure after pancreaticoduodenectomy in ampullary cancerHui Ping Hsu
Department of Surgery, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, 138, Sheng Li Road, Tainan, 70428, Taiwan, ROC
Ann Surg Oncol 14:50-60. 2007..The current study tried to find the predictors for recurrence to be used as determinative for postoperative adjuvant therapy...
- Differentiation pathways in duodenal and ampullary carcinomas: a comparative study on mucin and trefoil peptide expression, including gastric and colon carcinomasYesim Gurbuz
Department of Pathology, University of Kocaeli, Turkey
Virchows Arch 444:536-41. 2004..This also holds for ampullary carcinomas. Among the markers used, MUC5AC, MUC6 and TFF1 are most useful for revealing differentiation pathways in duodenal and ampullary carcinoma...
- High-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of vater: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 14 casesHind Nassar
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:588-94. 2005..the clinical and pathologic features of 14 cases of high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma (HGNEC) of the ampulla of Vater classified according to WHO classification of lung tumors into small cell carcinoma (SCC, 6 cases) and large ..
- Recurrent disease after microscopically radical (R0) resection of periampullary adenocarcinoma in patients without adjuvant therapySteve M M de Castro
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Gastrointest Surg 8:775-84; discussion 784. 2004..Patients with ampulla of Vater and distal common bile duct adenocarcinoma indicate a much more favorable prognosis...
- Mucin 2 (MUC2) and mucin 5 (MUC5) expression is not associated with prognosis in patients with radically resected ampullary carcinomaD Santini
, Via E Longoni no degrees 83, 00155 Rome, Italy
J Clin Pathol 60:1069-70. 2007
- Improved survival for adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: fifty-five consecutive resectionsJohn P Duffy
Section of Gastrointestinal Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California-Los Angeles, 90095, USA
Arch Surg 138:941-8; discussion 948-50. 2003HYPOTHESIS: After resection of an adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater, certain clinical and pathologic characteristics influence long-term survival. DESIGN: Retrospective case series...
- Risk of subsequent primary cancers in patients with carcinoma of the Ampulla of VaterA Moran
Centre for Cancer Epidemiology, University of Manchester, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, UK
Br J Cancer 76:1232-3. 1997..Four cancers were identified compared with 6.62 expected (relative risk 0.60), suggesting that individuals with ampullary carcinoma are not at increased risk of developing subsequent primary cancers...
- To cut or stretch?Henning Gerke
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1461-3. 2004..4% vs 4.3%). In addition, 20% of EPBD cases required "rescue" EST. EPBD should probably be reserved for special indications, such as uncorrected or anticipated coagulopathy, and unfavorable endoscopic anatomy for EST...
- Adjuvant therapy for ampullary carcinomas: the Mayo Clinic experienceSumita Bhatia
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:514-9. 2006PURPOSE: To determine the effects of adjuvant radiotherapy and chemotherapy for carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater. METHODS AND MATERIALS: We retrospectively reviewed the records of 125 patients who underwent definitive surgery for ..
- Maspin expression in adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: relation with clinicopathological parameters and apoptosisStella Blandamura
Section of Pathological Anatomy, Department of Medico Diagnostic Sciences and Special Therapies, University of Padova, Via Gabelli 61, 35121 Padova, Italy
Anticancer Res 27:1059-65. 2007..The aim of the present study was to investigate the role of maspin in ampullary adenocarcinomas, its correlation with apoptosis and its value as a prognostic marker...
- MK-1 expression in carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater as a predictor of improved prognosis after surgical resectionYoshihiro Hamada
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, 7 45 1 Nanakuma, Jonan ku, Fukuoka 814 0180, Japan
Cancer Lett 243:211-6. 2006This retrospective study investigated the prognostic significance of MK-1 expression in human carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater (CAV)...
- Surgical management of neoplasms of the ampulla of Vater: local resection or pancreatoduodenectomy and prognostic factors for survivalS M M de Castro
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Surgery 136:994-1002. 2004BACKGROUND: Neoplasms of the ampulla of Vater have a better 5-year survival than pancreatic and bile duct neoplasms after resection...
- Hepatocyte nuclear factor (HNF) 4α expression distinguishes ampullary cancer subtypes and prognosis after resectionFlorian Ehehalt
Department of General, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Dresden, Germany
Ann Surg 254:302-10. 2011..To investigate biological differences and prognostic indicators of different ampullary cancer (AC) subtypes...
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy is curative in the majority of patients with node-negative ampullary cancerKimberly M Brown
Department of Surgery, Section of Surgical Oncology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Arch Surg 140:529-32; discussion 532-3. 2005..CONCLUSION: Pancreaticoduodenectomy is curative in 80% of patients with node-negative ampullary carcinomas. Once 3-year survival is reached, long-term survival can be expected...
- Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy for "unfavorable" carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: preliminary reportV K Mehta
Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Dr, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Arch Surg 136:65-9. 2001..Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy decreases the risk of local recurrence in patients with adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater and high-risk features...
- Mutational profiling of kinases in human tumours of pancreatic origin identifies candidate cancer genes in ductal and ampulla of vater carcinomasVincenzo Corbo
ARC NET Research Center, University of Verona, Policlinico GB Rossi, Verona, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e12653. 2010..Tumours of the pancreas are aggressive neoplasms for which no effective therapeutic strategy is currently available...
- Immunohistochemical study of mucin expression in periampullary adenomyomaMichiyo Higashi
Department of Human Pathology, Field of Oncology, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, 890 8544, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 17:275-83. 2010....
- Ampullary cancerStefan Heinrich
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Swiss HPB Center, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 26:280-5. 2010..This manuscript reviews the recent literature on ampullary cancer, including new staging definitions, histological characteristics and treatment options...
- Mixed acinar-endocrine carcinoma arising in the ampulla of VaterJoel T Moncur
Department of Pathology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307, USA
Hum Pathol 33:449-51. 2002..The present article is the first reported case of an acinar cell carcinoma arising in the periampullary region of the duodenum, possibly in a focus of pancreatic heterotopia...
- Expression of MUC1 and MUC2 in ampullary cancerToshiyuki Moriya
Yamagata University, Yamagata, Japan
Int J Surg Pathol 19:441-7. 2011..Mucins are high-molecular-weight glycoproteins that play important roles in carcinogenesis or tumor invasion. The authors investigated the expression of mucins in ampullary cancer...
- Signet-ring-cell carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: a case reportTakashi Hara
Department of Surgery, Kin-I-Kyo Chuou Hospital, 15-1, 10-jo, 2-chome, Fushiko, Higashi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 007-8505 Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 49:561-3. 2002We encountered a rare variant of carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater in a 68-year-old man with postprandial abdominal pain and nausea. Ultrasonography and computed tomography showed a dilated common bile duct and main pancreatic duct...
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: a clinicopathologic evaluationEswaran Selvakumar
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Government Stanley Medical College Hospital, Chennai 600001, Tamilnadu, India
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 7:422-5. 2008Only 105 cases of neuroendocrine tumor (NET) of the ampulla of Vater have been described, mostly as single case reports. The incidence of NET is rising. The changes in incidence may result from changes in detection...
- Clinicopathologic analysis of ampullary neoplasms in 450 patients: implications for surgical strategy and long-term prognosisJordan M Winter
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Halsted 610, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 14:379-87. 2010..We sought to examine the outcome of patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy versus ampullectomy, as well as to identify factors predictive of lymph node metastasis in patients with ampullary neoplasms...
- Adjuvant chemoradiation versus surgery alone for adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of VaterJessica Zhou
Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 401 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Radiother Oncol 92:244-8. 2009..To examine the role of adjuvant chemoradiation (CRT) in patients with resected ampullary adenocarcinoma...
- Contribution of endoscopy to diagnosis and treatment of tumors of the ampulla of VaterT Ponchon
, , Lyon, France
Cancer 64:161-7. 1989In a series of 52 patients presenting with tumors of the ampulla of Vater, endoscopic procedures, especially endoscopic sphincterotomy and snare biopsies, permitted histologic classifications as follows: adenocarcinoma: 50%, adenoma: 35%, ..
- Non-pancreatic periampullary adenocarcinomas: an explanation for favorable prognosisMatthew H G Katz
Department of Surgery, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California 92103, USA
Hepatogastroenterology 51:842-6. 2004..were resected in 120: pancreatic head (n=74), distal common bile duct (n=10), duodenum (n=5), and ampulla of Vater (n=31)...
- COX-2 expression of ampullary carcinoma: correlation with different histotypes and clinicopathological parametersGiuseppe Perrone
Surgical Pathology, Campus Bio Medico University, Via Emilio Longoni, Rome, 83 00155, Italy
Virchows Arch 449:334-40. 2006..Furthermore, the high rate of COX-2 expression in the intestinal subtype of ampullary carcinoma may represent the rational for a histotype-tailored therapy targeting COX-2...
- Differential expression of metastasis-associated genes in papilla of vater and pancreatic cancer correlates with disease stageH Friess
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery and Institute of Pathology, University of Bern, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 19:2422-32. 2001..Because metastasis formation is a critical step in tumor progression and a negative prognostic factor, we compared the expression of nm23-H1 and KAI1, two metastasis-suppressing genes, in papilla of Vater cancer and pancreatic cancer...
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with or without pylorus preservation have similar outcomesRichard H Bell
Department of Surgery, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Cancer Treat Rev 31:328-31. 2005
- Therapeutic approach to tumors of the ampulla of VaterAkihiko Kobayashi
Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa City, Chiba, Japan
Am J Surg 192:161-4. 2006BACKGROUND/AIM: Indications for local resection for tumors of the ampulla of Vater have not been established. The present study evaluated suitable treatments for tumors of the papilla of Vater...
- Phase II study of capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced adenocarcinoma of the small bowel and ampulla of VaterMichael J Overman
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Unit 426, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:2598-603. 2009Adenocarcinomas of the small bowel and ampulla of Vater represent rare cancers that have limited data regarding first-line therapy...
- The clinical significance of papillitis of the major duodenal papillaJu Sang Park
Department of Internal Medicine and Pathology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 55:877-82. 2002..Moderate and severe endoscopic papillitis are characteristic of biliary or pancreatic disorders...
- Expression of oncogene products HER2/Neu and Ras and fibrosis-related growth factors bFGF, TGF-beta, and PDGF in bile from biliary malignancies and inflammatory disordersW C Su
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Dig Dis Sci 46:1387-92. 2001..The results suggest overexpression of bFGF, PDGF, and HER2/Neu and the presence of K-ras mutation are important for carcinogenesis of bile duct cancers, and detection of the above abnormalities in bile is helpful for early diagnosis...
- Tumor of the ampulla of Vater: experience with local or radical resection in 171 consecutively treated patientsH G Beger
Department of General Surgery, University of Ulm, Germany
Arch Surg 134:526-32. 1999..We hypothesized that, in malignant lesions of the ampulla, the T and N stages are major determinants of the patient's long-term outcome...
- Still any role for transduodenal local excision in tumors of the papilla of Vater?Daniel Paramythiotis
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 110, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 11:239-44. 2004Tumors of the papilla and ampulla of Vater are rare neoplasms which are usually detected at an early stage due to their symptoms...
- Periampullary cancers: are there differences?J M Sarmiento
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Surg Clin North Am 81:543-55. 2001....
- Neoplastic diseases of the papilla of VaterWataru Kimura
First Department of Surgery, Yamagata University School of Medicine, 2-2-2 Iida-Nishi, Yamagata 990-9585, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 11:223-31. 2004....
- Retroduodenal resection of ampullary carcinoid tumor in a patient with cavernous transformation of the portal veinShin Hwang
Division of Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Department of Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Gastrointest Surg 11:1322-7. 2007..This report describes a carcinoid tumor of the ampulla of Vater for which pancreatoduodenectomy was not feasible because of diffuse cavernous transformation of the portal ..
- An audit of outcomes of a series of periampullary carcinomasP O Berberat
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 35:187-91. 2009..This study describes the outcome and parameters, which predict survival of non-pancreatic periampullary carcinoma after resection...
- Human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 1 and carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: expression differences in tumour histotypesG Perrone
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Campus Bio Medico University, Via Alvaro del Portillo 200, Rome, Italy
Eur J Histochem 54:e38. 2010..by which gemcitabine enters human cells; recent evidence exists that hENT1 is expressed in carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater and that it should be considered as a molecular prognostic marker for patients with resected ampullary cancer...
- Tumors of the ampulla of VaterMichael Jean
Medical College of Wisconsin, Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital, 9200 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 5:171-5. 2003..Stage of disease, patient characteristics (ie, age and comorbid conditions), and local availability of expertise determine treatment options...
- Patterns and predictors of failure after curative resections of carcinoma of the ampulla of VaterTakeshi Todoroki
Departments of Surgery, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba shi, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 10:1176-83. 2003..Curative resection does not always equate with long-term survival. The aim was to identify patterns and predictors of failure and independent factors of prognosis after curative resection...
- Endoscopic resection of an ampullary carcinoid presenting with upper gastrointestinal bleeding: a case report and review of the literatureNooman Gilani
Department of Medicine and Research, Gastroenterology Section, Carl T Hayden Veterans Administration Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
World J Gastroenterol 13:1268-70. 2007..We report a very rare case of a non-metastatic ampullary carcinoid causing upper gastrointestinal bleeding, which was managed by endoscopic ampullectomy...
- Status of surgical treatment of biliary tract cancerShin Ishihara
Department of Biliary Pancreatic Surgery, Fujita Health University, Toyoake, Japan
Dig Surg 24:131-6. 2007..The 5-year survival rate of pT1, pT2, pT3, and pT4 were 93.7, 65.1, 27.3, and 13.8%. PD or PPPD is the standard operation for carcinoma of the papilla of Vater. The 5-year survival rate was 57.5%...
- Tumors of the gallbladder, bile ducts, and ampullaKeith D Lillemoe
Department of Surgery, Indiana University, School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5124, USA
Semin Gastrointest Dis 14:208-21. 2003Neoplasms arising in the gallbladder, bile ducts, and ampulla of Vater pose a significant clinical challenge. Although benign neoplasms may be encountered, the majority of these tumors are malignant...
- Carcinoma of the papilla of Vater. Diagnostic and surgical problemsRossen Madjov
Department of Surgery, Medical University, 55 M Drinov street, Varna 9002, Bulgaria
Hepatogastroenterology 50:621-4. 2003..Although carcinoma of the Vater's papilla is a well-recognized tumor, difficulties and misdiagnosis are still encountered in the early and on-time diagnostic process...
- Role of the DPC4 tumor suppressor gene in adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: analysis of 140 casesDenis M McCarthy
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Mod Pathol 16:272-8. 2003..The contributions of these genetic alterations to the development of adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater have not been fully established...
- Nodal involvement as an indicator of postoperative liver metastasis in carcinoma of the papilla of VaterToshiyuki Moriya
Gastroenterology and General Surgery, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Yamagata, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 13:549-55. 2006..To date, there has been reporting of extended lymph node dissection and adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with carcinoma of the papilla of Vater. Further studies will be necessary to resolve these problems...
- Prognostic significance of intratumoural microvessel density (IMD) in resected pancreatic and ampullary cancers to standard histopathological variables and survivalA W Khan
University Department of Surgery, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 28:637-44. 2002..003, HR 15.18). For ampullary cancers, IMD was higher in those with lymph node metastasis (P=0.02, Mann-Whitney U -test).CONCLUSION: IMD in resected pancreatic cancers correlates with survival...
- A prospective randomized trial of Tannenbaum-type Teflon-coated stents versus polyethylene stents for distal malignant biliary obstructionAnne Marie van Berkel
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:213-7. 2004..We compared the patency of a TTC stent with a conventional polyethylene (PE) stent in a prospective randomized trial...
- The need for a prophylactic gastrojejunostomy for unresectable periampullary cancer: a prospective randomized multicenter trial with special focus on assessment of quality of lifeN Tjarda Van Heek
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 238:894-902; discussion 902-5. 2003..Therefore, the trial was stopped earlier than planned...
- Purpose, use, and preparation of clinical practice guidelines for the management of biliary tract and ampullary carcinomasTadahiro Takada
Department of Surgery, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 15:2-6. 2008..The grading of the recommendations is based on the determination of the level of evidence in references on which the recommendation is based...
- Successful pancreatoduodenectomy for carcinoma of the ampulla of vater after esophagectomy with remnant gastrectomyYasuhiko Nagano
Yokohama City University Medical Center, Gastroenterological Center, Yokohama City Graduate University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 52:933-5. 2005..Duodenoscopy was performed and showed the protruded lesion of the ampulla of Vater, biopsied specimens from this tumor revealed adenocarcinomas...
- Number of positive lymph nodes independently affects long-term survival after resection in patients with ampullary carcinomaJ Sakata
Division of Digestive and General Surgery, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 1 757 Asahimachi dori, Niigata City 951 8510, Japan
Eur J Surg Oncol 33:346-51. 2007..The nodal status is an established prognostic factor in ampullary carcinoma. The aim of this study was to compare the prognostic power of the anatomic location of positive nodes with that of the number of positive nodes...
- Clinicopathologic analysis of early ampullary cancers with a focus on the feasibility of ampullectomyYoo-Seok Yoon
Department of Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Ann Surg 242:92-100. 2005..PD should be preferably performed for adequate radical resection, even in early ampullary cancer, and ampullectomy should be reserved for those who have pTis or pT1 cancer sized 1.0 cm or less with high operative risk...
- Human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 1 (hENT1) protein is associated with short survival in resected ampullary cancerD Santini
Department of Medical Oncology, University Campus Bio Medico, via Emilio Longoni 81, 00155 Rome, Italy
Ann Oncol 19:724-8. 2008....
- Recurrence and prognostic factors of ampullary carcinoma after radical resection: comparison with distal extrahepatic cholangiocarcinomaSang Myung Woo
Department of Internal Medicine, Liver Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yeongeon dong, Jongno gu, Seoul, Korea ROK
Ann Surg Oncol 14:3195-201. 2007..Ampullary carcinoma is often considered to have a better prognosis than distal extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. However, studies that directly compare the recurrence and histopathological features between the two groups are rare...
- Clinicopathologic features of ampullary carcinoma without jaundiceTerumi Kamisawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Honkomagome, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:162-6. 2006..To evaluate clinicopathological features of ampullary carcinoma without jaundice...
- Guidelines for chemotherapy of biliary tract and ampullary carcinomasJunji Furuse
Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Oncology Division, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa shi, Chiba, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 15:55-62. 2008..It is recommended that further clinical trials, especially large multi-institutional RCTs (phase III studies) using novel agents such as gemcitabine should be performed as soon as possible in order to establish a standard treatment...
- Standard whipple's operation versus pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy: a randomized controlled trial studyChatchai Srinarmwong
Department of Surgery, Suratthani Hospital, Suratthani, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:693-8. 2008..A single-institution randomized controlled trial was conducted to compare the results of standard whipple operation (SW) with those of pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (PPPD)...
- The pylorus: take it or leave it? Systematic review and meta-analysis of pylorus-preserving versus standard whipple pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic or periampullary cancerPaul J Karanicolas
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, 1200 Main St W, Hamilton, Ontario, L85 3Z5, Canada
Ann Surg Oncol 14:1825-34. 2007..Our objective was to determine the relative effects of pylorus-preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (PPPD) and standard Whipple pancreaticoduodenectomy (SWPD) in patients with pancreatic or periampullary cancer...
- Endoscopic resection of benign tumors of the papilla of vaterS Bohnacker
Department for Interdisciplinary Endoscopy, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Endoscopy 38:521-5. 2006..The following article details the approach to patients with benign papillary tumor and the technique of endoscopic papillectomy...
- Mitomycin C with weekly 24-h infusion of high-dose 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin in patients with biliary tract and periampullar carcinomasJ S Chen
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Anticancer Drugs 12:339-43. 2001..The median survival was 6 months. A combination of MMC with weekly high-dose 5-FU and LV in patients with BTC did not improve the response rate, but produced more toxicity than weekly high-dose 5-FU and LV alone...
- Periampullary gangliocytic paragangliomaP Sakhuja
Department of Pathology, G.B.Pant Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Clin Gastroenterol 33:154-6. 2001..Because this lesion may present clinically as a periampullary carcinoma, it is important to recognize and diagnose this rare, but benign, entity...
- Expression of mucin carbohydrates and core proteins in carcinomas of the ampulla of Vater: their relationship to prognosisH Kitamura
Second Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan
Jpn J Cancer Res 87:631-40. 1996..as well as MUC2 gene product (intestinal-MRP antigen) in tissues from 38 patients with carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater, in order to determine whether these mucin antigens are available as tumor markers or not, and to evaluate ..
- Pathogenesis and treatment of neoplastic diseases of the papilla of Vater: Kausch-Whipple procedure with lymph node dissection in cancer of the papilla of VaterHans G Beger
Department of Surgery, Universiy of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 11:232-8. 2004Cancer of the papilla or the ampulla of Vater appears, from a clinical point of view, to be an intraduodenal or ampullary cancer. An adenoma-dysplasia-carcinoma sequence has been established...
- Cancer of the papilla causing recurrent acute pancreatitis and mimicking a pancreatic stoneZ-S Li
Department of Gastroenterology, Digestive Endoscopy Center, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Endoscopy 39:E2. 2007
- Factors influencing recurrence after curative resection for ampulla of Vater carcinomaJoon Seong Park
Department of Surgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Surg Oncol 95:286-90. 2007Carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater has a relatively higher resection rate, lower recurrence rate, and more favorable prognosis than other malignant tumors of the periampullary region...
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with extended retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy for periampullary adenocarcinomaEugene P Kennedy
Department of Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson Medical College, 1025 Walnut Street, Suite 605 College Building, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Surg Oncol Clin N Am 16:157-76. 2007..These studies, including a large randomized trial of 280 patients from Johns Hopkins University, indicate that there is no demonstrable survival benefit to extended lymphadenectomy for periampullary cancer...
- Liver perfusion chemotherapy for selected patients at a high-risk of liver metastasis after resection of duodenal and ampullary cancersTakehiro Noda
Department of Surgery, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka, Japan
Ann Surg 246:799-805. 2007..To evaluate the prognostic benefit of postoperative liver perfusion chemotherapy (LPC) in patients who undergo curative resection of duodenal and ampullary cancers...
- Preoperative biliary drainage for periampullary tumors causing obstructive jaundice; DRainage vs. (direct) OPeration (DROP-trial)Niels A van der Gaag
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Surg 7:3. 2007....
- Development of an integrated biospecimen bank and multidisciplinary clinical database for pancreatic cancerRosa F Hwang
Department of Surgical Oncology, Unit 444, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1356-66. 2008..We describe the development of an integrated pancreatic tissue bank (PTB) and clinical database for patients with pancreatic cancer and other pancreatic disorders...
- [Clinical significance of solitary lymph node metastasis in carcinoma of the ampulla of Vater]Yi Shan
Department of Abdominal Surgical Oncology, Cancer Hospital (Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100021, China
Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi 28:694-6. 2006..of solitary lymph node metastasis and its relation with clinico-pathologic factors in carcinoma of ampulla of Vater. METHODS: The data of 26 patients who were discovered to have solitary lymph node metastasis, from 152 ..
- The surgical procedure and clinical results of subtotal stomach preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (SSPPD) in comparison with pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (PPPD)Akira Hayashibe
Department of Surgery, Bell Land General Hospital, 500 8 Higashiyama, Sakai City, Osaka 599 8247, Japan
J Surg Oncol 95:106-9. 2007..Subtotal stomach preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (SSPPD) is compared retrospectively with pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy (PPPD)...
- [Results of defunctionalized jejunal loop after pancreaticoduodenectomy]José M Jover
Servicio de Cirugía General y Digestivo Hospital Universitario de Getafe Getafe Madrid España
Cir Esp 80:373-7. 2006..Anastomotic leak continues to be a common cause of complications after pancreaticoduodenectomy. Numerous surgical techniques have been described to avoid this complication...
- [Ampullectomy in benign lesion: indications and results]S Miossec
, 184, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
Ann Chir 129:73-8. 2004..All other patients remain asymptomatic. CONCLUSION: Ampullectomy with accurate intra-operative frozen section appears adequate for presumed benign lesion of the papilla and ampulla...
- INJURY TO LIVER SINUSOIDAL ENDOTHELIAL CELLSSteven Strasberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..A potentially beneficial improvements in preservation solutions are identified they will be tested in whole isolated livers and by transplantation in the rat. ..
- COLLABORATIVE STUDY OF OVARIAN CANCER IN TWO RISK GROUPSMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dr. Anna Wu, the P.I. on the Los Angeles sub-contract during the first cycle of this grant, will assist with statistical analysis and the interpretation of results. ..
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Biomarkers of COX-2 inhibitors in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN)Christian Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- DIET AND DURATION OF CERVICAL HPV INFECTIONMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such knowledge may also assist in the development of appropriate screening strategies involving HPV DNA detection that could be targeted at women who would benefit most from intensive follow-up. ..
- COLLABORATIVE STUDY OF OVARIAN CANCER IN TWO RISK GROUPSMARC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Collaborative Genetic Study of Ovarian Cancer RiskMarc T Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The identification of ovarian cancer susceptibility genes that are related to OSE wounding and post-ovulatory tissue remodeling might shed light on important vitamin D-associated pathways in the carcinogenic process. ..