Genomes and Genes
Summary: A segment of the COLON between the RECTUM and the descending colon.
Publications258 found, 100 shown here
- Surgical treatment of Chagasic megacolon by abdominal rectosigmoidectomy with immediate posterior end-to-side stapling (Habr-Gama technique)Sergio C Nahas
Department of Gastroenterology, Colorectal Surgery Division, University of Sao Paulo, School of Medicine, Rua Jabebira 136, 05602 020 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1371-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to assess the technique and results of anterior rectosigmoidectomy with immediate posterior colorectal end-to-side stapled anastomosis for the treatment of Chagasic megacolon...
- Dysmenorrhoea is associated with hypersensitivity in the sigmoid colon and rectumWillem Brinkert
Pain and Nociception Research Group, Department of Anaesthesiology, Pain and Palliative Care, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Pain 132:S46-51. 2007..e., viscero-visceral hyperalgesia. We measured skin sensitivity in the referred area of the sigmoid colon as well as stimulus-response relationships in the sigmoid colon and rectum...
- The "human visceral homunculus" to pain evoked in the oesophagus, stomach, duodenum and sigmoid colonAsbjørn Mohr Drewes
Center for Visceral Biomechanics and Pain, Department of Gastroenterology, Aalborg University Hospital, Aalborg, Denmark
Exp Brain Res 174:443-52. 2006The oesophagus, stomach, duodenum and sigmoid colon were electrically stimulated in 12 healthy volunteers with a thin nasal endoscope. The painful cortical evoked potentials (EPs) were recorded from 64 surface electrodes...
- Pathologic quiz case: a 54-year-old liver transplant recipient with diffuse thickening of the sigmoid colon. Malakoplakia of the colon associated with liver transplantDavid M Weinrach
Department of Surgical Pathology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Ill 60611, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:e133-4. 2004
- Effect of otilonium bromide on contractile patterns in the human sigmoid colonD Gallego
Centro de Investigacion Biomedica en Red de Enfermedades Hepaticas y Digestivas CIBERehd, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Barcelona, Spain
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:e180-91. 2010..The aim of our study was to characterize the pharmacological effects of OB on contractile patterns in the human sigmoid colon.
- Mucinous adenocarcinoma arising in a neovagina using the sigmoid colon thirty years after operation: a case reportH Hiroi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Surg Oncol 77:61-4. 2001..CASE: A neovagina was constructed using the sigmoid colon at the age of 23 for congenital agenesis of the vagina, Rokitansky-KÃ¼ster-Hauser syndrome...
- A case of perforation and fistula formation resulting from metallic stent for sigmoid colon stricture in Crohn's diseaseH Wada
Department of Surgery, Yokohama Municipal Citizen s Hospital, 56 Okazawa cho, Hodogaya ku, Yokohama shi, Japan
Tech Coloproctol 9:53-6. 2005..A self-expanding metallic stent was inserted into the sigmoid colon stricture endoscopically in November 1999. Thirty two months later, he presented left lower abdominal pain...
- Left pneumothorax secondary to colonoscopic perforation of the sigmoid colon: a case reportFederico Lovisetto
Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche, Facolta di Medicina, University of Pavia, Italy
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 17:62-4. 2007..and subsequently an exploratory laparoscopy was performed, during which air was found in the subserosa of the sigmoid colon and in the mesosigmoid secondary to perforation of a sigmoid diverticulum...
- Laparoscopic treatment of iatrogenic endoscopic sigmoid colon perforation: a case report and literature reviewZeljko Busic
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Dubrava, Zagreb, Croatia
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:324-5. 2007..An 80-year-old male sustained an iatrogenic endoscopic sigmoid colon perforation...
- Spontaneous intramural haematoma of the sigmoid colon causing acute intestinal obstruction in a haemophiliac: report of a caseJ Jarry
Haemophilia 14:383-4. 2008
- Management of patients with stercoral perforation of the sigmoid colon: report of five casesWen Shih Huang
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Pu tzu 613 Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:500-3. 2006..two males and three females, whose median age was 64 years, had sustained stercoral perforation of the sigmoid colon. Chronic constipation was the common symptom among these patients...
- Image-based three-dimensional treatment planning of intracavitary brachytherapy for cancer of the cervix: dose-volume histograms of the bladder, rectum, sigmoid colon, and small bowelRobert Y Kim
Department of Radiation Oncology, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1824 6th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35249, USA
Brachytherapy 6:187-94. 2007The purpose of this study was to evaluate dose-volume histograms (DVHs) of bladder, rectum, sigmoid colon, and small bowel using image-based three-dimensional treatment planning for intracavitary brachytherapy.
- Acquired hemophilia A with sigmoid colon cancer: successful treatment with rituximab followed by sigmoidectomySatoshi Ichikawa
Department of Hematology and Rheumatology, Tohoku University Hospital, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
Int J Hematol 90:33-6. 2009..parallel with controlling hemorrhage, malignancy, which may cause acquired hemophilia A, was searched for and sigmoid colon cancer was found...
- Study on the anatomical dimensions of the human sigmoid colonB N S Bhatnagar
Department of Surgery, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Clin Anat 17:236-43. 2004Although the sigmoid colon is commonly afflicted with disease, studies on its anatomical dimensions are scarce. It is suspected that dimensions of the sigmoid colon change with age...
- Migration of an intrauterine contraceptive device into the sigmoid colonRola S Al-Mukhtar
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital, Ministry of Health, PO Box 358, Surah 45704, Kuwait
Saudi Med J 30:561-3. 2009..This case introduces the possibility of safe rectal retrieval of migrating IUCD implanted into the bowel wall...
- Immune reconstitution in the sigmoid colon after long-term HIV therapyP M Sheth
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mucosal Immunol 1:382-8. 2008..Blood and sigmoid colon biopsies were collected from HAART-treated individuals with undetectable blood HIV RNA for > or =4 years ..
- Comparison of outcome of POSSUM, p-POSSUM, and cr-POSSUM scoring after elective resection of the sigmoid colon for carcinoma or complicated diverticular diseaseJoannes L T Oomen
Department of Surgery, Zaans Medical Centre, Zaandam, The Netherlands
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:841-7. 2007..To compare POSSUM, p-POSSUM, and cr-POSSUM-predicted mortalities with the observed postoperative mortality in patients undergoing elective sigmoid colectomy for diverticular disease (n=121) or carcinoma (n=120)...
- Laparoscopic removal of an intrauterine device perforating the sigmoid colon: a case report and review of the literatureEsmond Chi
Division of Colorectal Surgery, Loma Linda Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am Surg 71:1055-7. 2005..Endoscopic tattooing and laparoscopy was used to identify the colonic site and facilitate extraction by colonic resection. A review of the literature and discussion of laparoscopic management of this complication is presented...
- Migration of an intrauterine contraceptive device to the sigmoid colon: a case reportU S Nceboz
Celal Bayar University School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Manisa, Turkey
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 8:229-32. 2003..Although perforation of the uterus by an IUD is not uncommon, migration to the sigmoid colon is extremely rare. Here, we report a case of migration of an IUD to the sigmoid colon.
- Giant submucosal sigmoid colon lipomaAnil M Bahadursingh
Department of Surgery, Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Saint Louis University Health Sciences Center, 3635 Vista at Grand, P O Box 15250, St Louis, Mo 63110 0250, USA
Am J Surg 186:81-2. 2003
- Anatomical variations in the level of origin of the sigmoid colon from the descending colon and the attachment of the sigmoid mesocolonT E Madiba
Department of Surgery, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Clin Anat 23:179-85. 2010The origin of the sigmoid colon is considered constant as is the V-shaped attachment of the sigmoid mesocolon attachment...
- Sigmoid colon is an unexpected organ at risk in brachytherapy for cervix cancerHoda Al-Booz
The Department of Clinical Oncology, Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre, Bristol, United Kingdom
J Egypt Natl Canc Inst 18:156-60. 2006..Late toxicities are our concern in treatment of cancer cervix especially as it is presenting in younger age population...
- Endometriosis causing extensive intestinal obstruction simulating carcinoma of the sigmoid colon: a case report and review of the literatureM Varras
Department of Gynaecology, George Gennimatas General State Hospital of Athens, Greece
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 23:353-7. 2002..Reported here is a case of extensive bowel obstruction due to sigmoid colon endometriosis in a 43-year-old woman who presented with signs and symptoms of bowel obstruction...
- [Pneumatosis coli complicated with necrosis and perforation wall of sigmoid colon and diffuse peritonitis]Robert Zimoch
Oddział Chorób Wewnetrznych Zespołu Publicznych Zakładów Opieki Zdrowotnej w Miliczu
Pol Arch Med Wewn 115:361-5. 2006..They occur more frequently in the left than in the right colon. We show a rare case of pneumatosis coli which was compicated of necrosis sigmoid, perforation and diffuse peritonitis...
- Endometrioid adenocarcinoma arising from endometriosis of the mesenterium of the sigmoid colonSusumu Kawate
Department of Thoracic and Visceral Organ Surgery, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22 Showamachi, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 35:154-7. 2005This report presents a case of endometrioid adenocarcinoma arising from endometriosis of the mesenterium of the sigmoid colon following total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy for leiomyoma of the uterus and ..
- Sigmoid colon perforation following a migrated biliary stentMichael Elliott
Hornsby Ku ring gai Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 73:669-70. 2003
- Vaginal construction using sigmoid colon in children and young adultsAshok Rajimwale
The Children s Hospital, Denver, CO 80218, USA
BJU Int 94:115-9. 2004..To evaluate the age at which patients who required vaginal replacement (an uncommon procedure in children) were diagnosed, and the cause of their anomaly, and to relate these variables to the surgical outcome...
- One-stage sigmoid colon resection for perforated sigmoid diverticulitis (Hinchey stages III and IV)Sven Richter
Clinic of General, Visceral, Vascular, and Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital of the Saarland, Kirrberger Strasse, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
World J Surg 30:1027-32. 2006..We evaluated the outcome of patients with perforated sigmoid diverticulitis Hinchey III/IV undergoing one-stage colon resection and primary anastomosis without protective colostomy...
- Effect of bladder distension on dose distribution of intracavitary brachytherapy for cervical cancer: three-dimensional computed tomography plan evaluationMustafa Cengiz
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:464-8. 2008..To quantify the effect of bladder volume on the dose distribution during intracavitary brachytherapy for cervical cancer...
- Primary vs. secondary anastomosis after sigmoid colon resection for perforated diverticulitis (Hinchey Stage III and IV): a prospective outcome and cost analysisM K Schilling
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 44:699-703; discussion 703-5. 2001PURPOSE: Our hypothesis was that in patients with perforated sigmoid colon diverticulitis and peritonitis (Hinchey Stage III and IV) a one-stage sigmoid colon resection is safe and cost effective when performed by an experienced ..
- Decreased interstitial cells of Cajal in the sigmoid colon of patients with slow transit constipationWei Dong Tong
Department of General Surgery, Institute of Surgery Research, Daping Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Int J Colorectal Dis 19:467-73. 2004..This study aimed to determine the normal distribution of ICC within the colon of the Chinese and also to determine if ICC are decreased in Chinese STC patients...
- Laparoscopic vaginal reconstruction using a sigmoid colon segment: a preliminary reportW Urbanowicz
Department of Pediatric Urology, Polish American Children s Hospital, Collegium Medicum, Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland
J Urol 171:2632-5. 2004..Sigmoid vaginoplasty is an alternative technique for vaginal replacement. We describe the successful use of laparoscopy for reconstruction of a vagina in patients with the Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome...
- Vaginal reconstruction utilizing sigmoid colon: Complications and long-term resultsJ Kellogg Parsons
Division of Pediatric Urology, The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Pediatr Surg 37:629-33. 2002The use of sigmoid colon segments to repair congenital deformities of the vagina is well established. There are little data, however, on complications or functional results in these patients...
- Incidental finding of an intrauterine device in the sigmoid colonLoïc Sentilhes
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Angers University Hospital, Angers, France
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 13:212-4. 2008Translocation of an intrauterine device (IUD) to the sigmoid colon lumen is an extremely rare presentation of an ectopic IUD that usually results in fever and gastrointestinal symptoms...
- Anatomy of the sigmoid colon, rectum, and the rectovaginal pouch in women with enterocele and anterior rectal wall procidentiaKaven Baessler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cantonal Hospital Lucerne, 6000 Lucerne 16, Switzerland
Clin Anat 19:125-9. 2006This study describes the anatomy of the rectovaginal pouch, the sigmoid colon, and rectum in women with posterior enterocele and anterior rectal wall procidentia...
- Surgical removal of an intrauterine device perforating the sigmoid colon: a case reportRaul Mederos
Department of General Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, 4300 Alton Road, Miami Beach, FL 33140, USA
Int J Surg 6:e60-2. 2008Intrauterine devices (IUDs) are among the most common contraceptive methods in the world, but have been associated with extrauterine dislocation and bowel perforation. We report a case of an IUD perforation of the sigmoid colon.
- Late radiotherapy-induced lower intestinal toxicity (RILIT) of intensity-modulated radiotherapy for prostate cancer: the need for adapting toxicity scales and the appearance of the sigmoid colon as co-responsible organ for lower intestinal toxicityValerie Fonteyne
Department of Radiotherapy, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 84:156-63. 2007..Late radiotherapy-induced lower intestinal toxicity (RILIT) after intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) for prostate cancer. 2. The correlation between late RILIT and volume parameters of the rectum, sigmoid colon and small bowel.
- Reversal of Hartmann's procedure after surgery for complications of diverticular disease of the sigmoid colon is safe and possible in most patientsJ L T Oomen
Department of Surgery, Zaans Medical Centre, Zaandam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 22:419-25. 2005Although evidence is growing that most patients who need an operation for diverticular disease of the sigmoid colon can be treated by a single-stage procedure, a two-stage procedure will still be necessary in some patients because of ..
- Exaggerated motility of the descending colon with repetitive distention of the sigmoid colon in patients with irritable bowel syndromeShin Fukudo
Department of Behavioral Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 1 Seiryo, Aoba, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Gastroenterol 37:145-50. 2002..e., altered bowel habit with abdominal pain relieved by defecation. We tested our hypothesis that an abnormal link between luminal stimulation and mural response may have some role in the pathophysiology of IBS...
- Mesh penetration of the sigmoid colon following a transabdominal preperitoneal hernia repairB Lange
Department of Surgery, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Surg Endosc 17:157. 2003..pain and anal bleeding following a TAPP procedure may result from the penetration of the repair mesh into the sigmoid colon. In this case report, we discuss this particular complication following the TAPP procedure...
- Nitric oxide is involved in the relaxant effect of capsaicin in the human sigmoid colon circular muscleL Bartho
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, University Medical School of Pecs, Szigeti u 12, 7643 Pecs, Hungary
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 366:496-500. 2002The relaxant effect of capsaicin (300 nM) has been studied on mucosa-free circular strips of the human sigmoid colon in vitro...
- Distribution of serotonin receptors and interacting proteins in the human sigmoid colonN Chetty
Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Action, Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:551-8, e14-5. 2009..Human sigmoid colon samples were dissected into three separate layers (mucosa, taeniae coli and intertaenial strips) and RNA was ..
- Radiological anatomy of the sigmoid colonT E Madiba
Department of Surgery, University of KwaZulu Natal, Congella, Private Bag 7, Durban, 4013, South Africa
Surg Radiol Anat 30:409-15. 2008The variable incidence of sigmoid volvulus, which depends on the presence of an elongated sigmoid colon, suggests the possibility of variations in the length of the sigmoid colon...
- Occult transfixation of the sigmoid colon by suprapubic catheterMiles D Witham
Section of Ageing and Health, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Age Ageing 31:407-8. 2002..One day after the catheter was changed, he passed faeculent material in the catheter and became unwell with abdominal pain. The catheter tip was visible per rectum...
- Intestinal vaginoplasty: is it optimal treatment of vaginal agenesis? A pilot study. Surgical method of sigmoid colon vaginoplasty in vaginal agenesisAtes Karateke
Department of Gynecology, Zeynep Kamil Women s and Children Diseases Education and Research Hospital, Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 17:40-5. 2006..Patients were between 18 and 37 years old. Ileum vaginoplasty and sigmoid colon vaginoplasty were carried out in two and nine cases, respectively...
- Frequency of right lower quadrant position of the sigmoid colon in infants and young childrenD J Fiorella
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Radiology 219:91-4. 2001P:URPOSE: To evaluate the frequency of right lower quadrant positioning of the sigmoid colon in infants and young children. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Findings in 169 patients who underwent enema examination were retrospectively reviewed...
- A patient with arthritis, severe back pain, impaired wound healing, and perforated sigmoid colonPeter Härle
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Regensburg, Regensburg D 93042, Germany
Lancet 367:2032. 2006
- Laparoscopically assisted sigmoid colon vaginoplasty in women with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome: feasibility and short-term resultsB Cai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Affiliated First People s Hospital, Shanghai, PR China
BJOG 114:1486-92. 2007To evaluate the technical feasibility and anatomical and functional outcomes of laparoscopically assisted sigmoid colon vaginoplasty (LASV) in women with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome.
- Sigmoid colon injury due to blunt abdominal trauma. A case reportF Ceci
Department of Surgery La Sapienza University, Rome
G Chir 27:259-61. 2006We present a case of sigmoid colon injury after blunt abdominal trauma. The patient was submitted to sigmoid resection with primary end-to-end colo-colic anastomosis...
- [Ultrasonographic assessment of sigmoid colon in patients with irritable bowel syndrome]Hiroaki Kusunoki
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School
Nihon Rinsho 64:1461-6. 2006..factors may play a role in the pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), the function of sigmoid colon has been reported as a major pathogenesis of IBS...
- An unusual presentation of a cystic duplication of the sigmoid colon entirely lined with squamous epitheliumGregory Rodesch
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Chidren s Hospital Queen Fabiola, Brussels, Belgium
J Pediatr Surg 44:1831-4. 2009..barium enema demonstrated a slight leak of contrast in the aerated mass, suggesting a communication with the sigmoid colon. No other abnormalities were seen. The patient underwent surgery in emergency...
- Education and imaging. Gastrointestinal: fecaloma in a dilated sigmoid colonM Kantarci
Department of Radiology, Ataturk University Medical School, Erzurum, Turkey
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:955. 2007
- Laparoscopic resection of duplicated sigmoid colon under the guidance of intraoperative colonoscopyYoon Ah Park
Department of Surgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 15:299-301. 2005..Complete surgical removal is the treatment of choice. The authors report a case of sigmoid colonic duplication successfully treated by laparoscopic resection under the guidance of intraoperative colonoscopy...
- Laparoscopic closure for perforation of the sigmoid colon by endoscopic linear staplerK Hayashi
First Department of Surgery, Shinshu University, Nagano, Japan
Surg Laparosc Endosc 6:411-3. 1996..Laparoscopic closure for perforation of the sigmoid colon caused by diagnostic colonoscopy is described...
- Smooth muscle cholinergic denervation hypersensitivity in diverticular diseaseMark Golder
Academic Department of Surgery, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Whitechapel, London, UK
Lancet 361:1945-51. 2003..We aimed to investigate the role of smooth muscle and neural cholinergic activity in the pathogenesis of this disease...
- Toothpick impaction with sigmoid colon pseudodiverticulum formation successfully treated with colonoscopyYoun Son Chung
Department of Gastroenterology, Hallym University College of Medicine, Anyang, Korea
World J Gastroenterol 14:948-50. 2008..We report our experience with a patient with a sigmoid colon pseudodiverticulum formation, a complication of accidental ingestion of a toothpick that was diagnosed and ..
- Infarction of the sigmoid colon secondary to giant cell arteritisM A Trimble
Rheumatology (Oxford) 41:108-10. 2002
- Endoscopic biopsies in Ussing chambers evaluated for studies of macromolecular permeability in the human colonConny Wallon
Clinical Research Centre, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:586-95. 2005..Endoscopic biopsies in Ussing chambers have been introduced as a means of studying secretion and transepithelial permeability, but have not been evaluated for studies of protein antigen uptake in human intestine...
- Cervical surgical emphysema: rare presentation of a sigmoid colon retroperitoneal perforation with abscess rupture through the lumbar triangle of PetitL Zentner
Ballarat Base Hospital, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Australas Radiol 51:B140-3. 2007A retroperitoneal sigmoid colon perforation presenting with cervical surgical emphysema secondary to abscess rupture through the lumbar triangle of Petit into the posterior paraspinal muscle compartment has not been previously described...
- [Perforation of the sigmoid colon secondary to acetabular fracture]J Proust
Service d Orthopedie Traumatologie, Hopital Universitaire Dupuytren, 2, avenue Martin Luther King, 87042 Limoges Cedex
Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 90:573-6. 2004..Imaging provides clear evidence for avoiding late diagnosis and life-threatening situations...
- Colorectal intervention as part of surgery for patients with gynaecological malignancyA Bedirli
Division of Colorectal Surgery, University of Gazi, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Colorectal Dis 7:228-31. 2005..This study was conducted to determine the indications for and outcome of colorectal intervention in patients with advanced gynaecological malignancy...
- Resection of mesenteric inflammatory veno-occlusive disease causing ischemic colitisPhilip Bao
Department of General Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 9:812-7. 2005..This report substantiates resolution of the inflammatory process after resection, colostomy, and reanastomosis. We review the literature and make conclusions regarding the clinical management of this disease...
- Fecoflowmetric profiles in postoperative patients with Hirschsprung's diseaseMinoru Yagi
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata City, Niigata 951 8510, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 40:551-4. 2005..The objective of this study is to evaluate the anorectal function from the viewpoint of fecoflowmetry in postoperative patients with Hirschsprung's disease (HD)...
- A modified sigma-rectum pouch (Mainz pouch II) technique: analysis of outcomes and complications on 220 patientsJovan B Hadzi-Djokic
Institute of Urology and Nephrology, Clinic of Urology, Belgrade, and Clinical Center Nis, Clinic of Urology, Nis, Serbia and Montenegro
BJU Int 97:587-91. 2006..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of a modified technique for a sigma-rectum pouch (Mainz pouch II)...
- [Laparoscopic surgery in colorectal diseases]E Balen
Servicio de Cirugia General, Hospital de Navarra, Pamplona
An Sist Sanit Navar 28:67-80. 2005..A description is given of the details of the surgical technique of right and left colectomies, laparoscopic resections of the rectum and of total colectomy...
- Risk factors for clinical anastomotic leakage following the resection of sigmoid and rectal cancerGiedre Rudinskaite
Department of Surgery, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 2, 50009 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 41:741-6. 2005..The aim of the study was to determine the risk factors for the leakage after sigmoid and rectal cancer resections depending on the height of anastomoses...
- Impact of new technologies on the clinical and functional outcome of Altemeier's procedure: a randomized, controlled trialPaolo Boccasanta
Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, IRCCS Foundation, 1st Department of General Surgery, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 49:652-60. 2006....
- [Amyloidosis induced colonic stricture. The first symptom of myeloma multiplex. A case report]Anita Annahazi
Szegedi Tudomanyegyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, I Belgyógyászati Klinika
Orv Hetil 149:1181-5. 2008..However, annular stricture of the colon due to amyloidosis is very rare. Amyloidosis develops in appr. 10% of multiple myeloma patients with lambda light chain production, it is usually type AL and not a presenting symptom...
- Defunctioning stoma reduces symptomatic anastomotic leakage after low anterior resection of the rectum for cancer: a randomized multicenter trialPeter Matthiessen
Department of Surgery, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Ann Surg 246:207-14. 2007....
- Laparoscopic D3 lymph node dissection with preservation of the superior rectal artery for the treatment of proximal sigmoid and descending colon cancerMichiya Kobayashi
Department of Human Health and Medical Sciences, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Japan
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:461-6. 2007In this paper we report a technique for laparoscopic lymph node (LN) dissection for descending and proximal sigmoid colon cancer with the preservation of the superior rectal artery (SRA) to maintain the blood supply to the distal sigmoid ..
- Polybacterial pyomyositis following laparoscopic colectomy for complicated diverticulosisHang Korng Ea
Service de médecine interne et rhumatologie, Groupe Hospitalier Diaconesses Croix Saint Simon, 125 rue d Avron, 75020 Paris, France
Joint Bone Spine 74:653-5. 2007..We report a case of diffuse subacute muscle infection caused by enteric bacteria, diagnosed two months after laparoscopic colectomy for a sigmoid abscess and successfully treated with antibiotics alone...
- Rectal prolapse as initial clinical manifestation of colon cancerC W Chen
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Z Gastroenterol 46:348-50. 2008..We describe the case of a 75-year-old woman who was diagnosed as having adenocarcinoma of the sigmoid colon after presenting with complete rectal prolapse...
- Laparoscopic reversal of Hartmann's rectosigmoidectomyS Slawik
Department of Colorectal Surgery, North Bristol NHS Trust, Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, UK
Colorectal Dis 10:81-3. 2008..The aim of this study was to analyse the outcome of laparoscopic restoration of bowel continuity post Hartmann's procedure...
- Rectovaginal fistula following double-stapling anastomosis in low anterior resection for rectal cancerNorifumi Tsutsumi
Department of Surgery, Sawara Hospital, Fukuoka, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 54:1682-3. 2007..Therefore, this complication must be kept in mind, and a minimal-sized fistula can be treated conservatively without a diverting colostomy or other surgical procedures...
- Early prediction of anastomotic leakage after colorectal surgery by measuring peritoneal cytokines: prospective studyBurak Uğraş
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, 34093 Capa, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Surg 6:28-35. 2008..Anastomotic leakage (AL) is a major cause of postoperative mortality and morbidity in colorectal surgery. We investigated the early prediction of peritoneal cytokine levels in developing AL after colorectal surgery...
- Functional outcomes of two types of subtotal colectomy for slow-transit constipation: ileosigmoidal anastomosis and cecorectal anastomosisYe Feng
Department of Colorectal Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Am J Surg 195:73-7. 2008..The aim of the study was to compare the functional outcomes of subtotal colectomy with cecorectal anastomosis (CRA) with those of subtotal colectomy with ileosigmoidal anastomosis (ISA) in patients with severe slow-transit constipation...
- Laparoscopic sigmoid and rectal resection using an electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing deviceJyrki Kössi
Department of Surgery, Paijat Hame Central Hospital, Lahti, Finland
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:719-22. 2007..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the suitability of the device for laparoscopic colonic surgery...
- [Results of sigma resection in acute complicated diverticulitis : method and time of surgical intervention]J P Ritz
Chirurgische Klinik I, Abteilung für Allgemein, Gefäss und Thoraxchirurgie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200, Berlin, Deutschland
Chirurg 79:753-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to check the results of laparoscopic sigmoid resection for sigmoid diverticular disease with respect to stage of inflammation and time of surgical intervention...
- Intraoperative colonoscopy for anastomosis assessment in laparoscopically assisted left-sided colon resection: is it worthwhile?Monika Lanthaler
Department of General and Transplant Surgery Innsbruck Medical University Hospital, Innsbruck, Austria
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:27-31. 2008..The aim of our study was to evaluate the use of intraoperative colonoscopy in laparoscopically assisted left-sided colon resection for the assessment of anastomosis...
- Colonic resection in the setting of damage control laparotomy: is delayed anastomosis safe?Preston R Miller
Department of Surgery, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Am Surg 73:606-9; discussion 609-10. 2007..To our knowledge, this represents the first reported series of DA after DCL, an area in which further work is needed to carefully define indications for the safe application of this concept...
- Laparoscopic sigmoid resections for diverticulitis complicated by abscesses or fistulasChristina Zapletal
Department of Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1515-21. 2007..Therefore, we analysed our results of laparoscopic sigmoidectomies concerning intraoperative course, conversion rate, morbidity and hospital stay in RD and CD...
- [Open surgery of the rectum]W Hohenberger
Chirurgische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen
Chirurg 78:739-47. 2007....
- Multimedia article. Laparoscopic-assisted rectosigmoidectomy with ileal loop interposition. Surgical treatment of chagasic megacolonEloy Espin-Basany
Colorectal Surgery Unit, Hospital Valle de Hebron, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1421. 2008..Recently a report of 147 patients treated with an open rectosigmoidectomy with an ileal loop interposition showed a low rate of complications (8.5 percent) and recurrence (3.1 percent).1..
- [Value of laparoscopic surgery in elective colorectal surgery with "fast-track"-rehabilitation]T Junghans
Universitätsklinik für Allgemein, Visceral, Gefäss und Thoraxchirurgie, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Charite Campus Mitte, Berlin
Zentralbl Chir 131:298-303. 2006..Whether these benefits may also occur when all patients are treated with multimodal "fast-track"-rehabilitation programs is questionable...
- [Rectosigmoid endometriosis]A Bouhmidi
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 98:797-8. 2006
- Pelvic cytoreduction with rectosigmoid resectionMargrit M Juretzka
Gynecology Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Gynecol Oncol 104:40-4. 2007
- A sessile colonic polyp showing striking morphological changes within a 2-month periodH Nakamura
Department of Gastroenterology, Chofu Surgical Clinic, Tokyo, Japan
Endoscopy 39:E279-80. 2007
- Colorectal anastomotic stenosis after elective laparoscopic sigmoidectomy for diverticular disease: a prospective evaluation of 68 patientsPatrick Ambrosetti
Clinique Générale Beaulieu, 4, rue Emile Yung, 1205, Geneva, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1345-9. 2008..This prospective study was designed to find the incidence of symptomatic anastomotic stenosis after elective laparoscopic sigmoidectomy for diverticular disease...
- Feasibility of single-stage resection and primary anastomosis in patients with acute noncomplicated sigmoid volvulusAlper Akcan
Department of General Surgery, Erciyes University School of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Am J Surg 193:421-6. 2007..The management of sigmoid volvulus remains controversial. The aim of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of treating sigmoid volvulus by using a single-stage resection and anastomosis versus a 2-stage approach...
- Persistent symptoms after elective sigmoid resection for diverticulitisBernhard Egger
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1044-8. 2008..This study was designed to determine the incidence and pattern of persistent symptoms and their association with peroperative parameters...
- [Insufficient anastomoses in sigmoideal and rectal resections. A retrospective study conducted in a surgical clinic in Hradec Králové]P Motycka
Chirurgická klinika LF UK v Hradci Králové a FN Hradec Králové
Rozhl Chir 86:17-23. 2007..Anastomotic insufficiency is the primary cause of postoperative morbidity and mortality following resection procedures of the large intestine and rectum...
- Resection rectopexy for external rectal prolapse reduces constipation and anal incontinenceE Johnson
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Scand J Surg 96:56-61. 2007..The main aim was to examine constipation and anal incontinence in patients before and after resection for external rectal prolapse...
- [Surgical strategies in the treatment of acute diverticular disease--a retrospective analysis of surgical patients at the hospital "Städtisches Klinikum Brandenburg an der Havel"]M Kautzsch
Klinik für Allgemein und Viszeralchirurgie, Städtisches Klinikum Brandenburg a d Havel, Brandenburg
Zentralbl Chir 133:61-7. 2008..The frequency of use of the various therapeutic concepts and their success rates were studied in our clinic...
- Transanal one-stage endorectal pull-through for Hirschsprung's disease in infants and childrenSumate Teeraratkul
Pediatric Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Rajathavi, Bangkok, Thailand
J Pediatr Surg 38:184-7. 2003..This report presents the technique and results of transanal one-stage endorectal pull-through procedure in children with rectosigmoid lesions from Hirschsprung's disease...
- Laparoscopic mobilization of the rectosigmoid and excision of the obliterated cul-de-sacJackie Hollett-Caines
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 10:190-4. 2003..To evaluate the feasibility and surgical and clinical outcomes of laparoscopic excision of anterior recto-sigmoid wall endometriosis and en bloc dissection of the obliterated cul-de-sac...
- Mainz Pouch II technique: 10 years' experienceG D'Elia
Department of Urology, Mainz University Medical School, Mainz, Germany
BJU Int 93:1037-42. 2004..To report the long-term results with the Mainz Pouch II procedure...
- [Should early feeding be permitted following elective colorectal resection?]A Alves
Service de Chirurgie Digestive, Hopital Lariboisiere, 2, rue Ambroise Pare, 75010, Paris, France
Ann Chir 129:94-5. 2004
- Outcome after rectum or sigmoid resection: a review for gynecologistsMaria Lorena Ret Dávalos
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14:33-8. 2007..This seems to be important in making the decision to perform a discoid or a segmental bowel resection for severe endometriosis...
- Recurrent diverticulitis after sigmoid colectomy for sigmoid colon diverticulitisJeffrey J Visco
Dis Colon Rectum 46:1572-3; author reply 1573. 2003
- [Laparoscopic sigmoid resection]F Corcione
UOC di Chirurgia Generale e Centro di Chirurgia Laparoscopica, A O Monaldi, Azienda Ospedaliera di Rilievo Nazionale e di Alta Specializzazione, Napoli, Italy
Minerva Chir 58:509-13. 2003....
- Gastrointestinal transit after laparoscopic versus open colonic resectionL Basse
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Surg Endosc 17:1919-22. 2003..Gastrointestinal transit after colonic resection with laparoscopy or laparotomy was assessed...
- Calcium/Vitamin D, Biomarkers & Colon Polyp PreventionRoberd Bostick; Fiscal Year: 2009..colonoscopy;and biopsies of normal-appearing mucosa are also being taken from three colon sites (rectum, mid-sigmoid colon, and proximal ascending colon) during follow-up colonoscopies...
- Risk Factors for Asymptomatic DiverticulosisRobert S Sandler; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Sigmoid colon biopsies will be used to evaluate adherent bacterial organisms using pyrosequencing...
- Relex Pathways Controlling Intestinal MotilityTERENCE KEITH SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, we have found that the monkey sigmoid colon, which is our translation model, has motor patterns that are similar to those in the guinea-pig colon and ..
- Joint Segmentation of MR and CT scans for Gynecologic Cancer BrachytherapyTina Kapur; Fiscal Year: 2012..of this project will be an algorithm that can automatically delineate the cervix, the bladder, the rectum, the sigmoid colon, and the small bowel in MR and CT images for gynecologic brachytherapy...
- WATER AND ELECTROLYTE TRANSPORT BY THE INTESTINEKENNETH HUBEL; Fiscal Year: 1990..stimulation of the enteric nerves (probably submucous neurons) reduces chloride absorption in human ileum and sigmoid colon, and causes secretion of chloride in jejunum and cecum...
- Colon Barrier Breakdown in the ElderlyJames Mullin; Fiscal Year: 2005..2: These same patient volunteers will be contributing biopsies of the ascending colon, descending colon and sigmoid colon during their colonoscopy...
- Aspirin, UGT1A6 Genotype, and Colon Gene ExpressionJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2006..in colonic gene expression will be determined using cDNA microarray analysis of biopsy RNA from the sigmoid colon and rectum and Bax and Bcl-2 expression in the colonic crypts will be measured by immunohistochemistry...
- Aging and Cancer of the ColonSTEVEN DUDAS; Fiscal Year: 2004..In a cohort of colon cancer patients diagnosed with local, regional or distant adenocarcinoma of the sigmoid colon, we propose to determine with respect to age: levels of oxidative DNA damage, apoptotic activity and the ..
- GENDER RELATED DIFFERENCE IN VISCERAL SENSITIVITY IN IBSBruce Naliboff; Fiscal Year: 2000..will utilize two visceral stimulus paradigms based on previous work, one tests visceral sensitization from sigmoid colon conditioning and the other anticipatory responses to expected high and low intensity visceral sensation...
- CD8+TCell Antiretroviral Mechanisms in Lymphoid TissueElizabeth Connick; Fiscal Year: 2003..IFN)-gamma production, tetramer staining, cytolysis, and apoptosis in peripheral blood, lymph node and sigmoid colon biopsies...
- NADPH oxidases-associated transition from Barrett's esophagus to adenocarcinomaWeibiao Cao; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CONTRACTILE SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION IN ULCERATIVE COLITISWeibiao Cao; Fiscal Year: 2004..To define inflammation, associated changes in motor function we will examine the circular muscle from the sigmoid colon from patient with active ulcerative colitis and compare it with muscle from disease-free margins of ..
- NEUROENDOCRINE ALTERATIONS IN FIBROMYALGIA AND IBSLin Chang; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Treatment of Fear and Pain in Irritable Bowel SyndromeBruce Naliboff; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Screening for colortectal cancer in an Asian Community CenterDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2008..This is a new paradigm for screening, which takes advantage of the trust and cultural awareness that exists at the community center and does not rely on the primary care provider. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CORI: Consortium Expansion and Database EnhancementDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2004....