Genomes and Genes
Summary: A worm-like blind tube extension from the CECUM.
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- The NANETS consensus guideline for the diagnosis and management of neuroendocrine tumors: well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors of the Jejunum, Ileum, Appendix, and CecumJ Philip Boudreaux
Department of Surgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Pancreas 39:753-66. 2010Well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) of the jejunum, ileum, and appendix are also collectively known as midgut carcinoids. Similar to NETs in general, the diagnosed incidence of the midgut NETs is on the rise...
- Metallic foreign body in the appendix of 3-year-old boyCharles W Hartin
Department of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Women and Children s Hospital of Buffalo, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14222, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:2106-8. 2008..However, when the foreign body becomes incarcerated in the appendix, a prophylactic appendectomy is recommended to prevent appendicitis...
- Biofilms in the large bowel suggest an apparent function of the human vermiform appendixR Randal Bollinger
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Box 2605, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Theor Biol 249:826-31. 2007The human vermiform ("worm-like") appendix is a 5-10cm long and 0.5-1cm wide pouch that extends from the cecum of the large bowel...
- Incarcerated vermiform appendix in a left-sided inguinal herniaS Breitenstein
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital Winterthur, 8401 Winterthur, Switzerland
Hernia 9:100-2. 2005We report here of a patient with an incarcerated vermiform appendix occurring in a left-sided indirect inguinal hernia...
- The most useful findings for diagnosing acute appendicitis on contrast-enhanced helical CTD Choi
Department of Radiology, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Radiol 44:574-82. 2003..To evaluate the most useful findings to look for in diagnosing acute appendicitis on contrast-enhanced helical CT...
- Endometriosis of the appendix presenting as acute appendicitisJ J Khoo
Department of Pathology, Sultanah Aminah Hospital, Jalan Skudai, Johor Bahru, Johor 80100, Malaysia
Singapore Med J 45:435-6. 2004While endometriosis is fairly common, endometriosis of the appendix is a very rare occurrence. Correct pre-operative diagnosis is uncommon and definitive diagnosis is established by histology of the appendix...
- Diverticulosis and diverticulitis of the appendixBadr AbdullGaffar
Histopathology Department, Dubai Hospital, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Int J Surg Pathol 17:231-7. 2009Diverticulosis of the appendix is a relatively rare pathological finding. The majority are acquired pseudodiverticula. True congenital diverticula are very rare...
- Endometriosis of the vermiform appendix as an exceptional cause of acute perforated appendicitis during pregnancyJ L Faucheron
Department of Colorectal Surgery, University Hospital, Grenoble, France
Colorectal Dis 10:518-9. 2008..Most cases of endometriosis of the appendix are discovered as a result of incidental appendectomy...
- Role of the appendix in the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitisM Matsushita
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kansai Medical University, 2 3 1 Shinmachi, Hirakata, Osaka 573 1191, Japan
Inflammopharmacology 15:154-7. 2007Although human appendix has been considered as a vestigial remnant, recent observations have focused attention on the role of the appendix in the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis (UC)...
- Primary tuberculosis of the appendix in a young male patient: report of a caseNobuhisa Ito
Department of Surgery, Fukuoka Tokushukai Hospital, 4 5 Sukukita, Kasuga, Fukuoka, 816 0864, Japan
Surg Today 40:668-71. 2010..response was found, and abdominal computed tomography showed a diffuse enlargement and wall thickening in the appendix. An ileocecal abscess and perforating appendicitis were suspected...
- Appendix is a priming site in the development of ulcerative colitisMitsunobu Matsushita
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizono cho, Moriguchi, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 11:4869-74. 2005The role of the appendix has been highlighted in the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis (UC)...
- Inflammatory appendix masses masquerading as pelvic tumoursM P Hiorns
Department of Radiology, The Royal London Hospital, London, UK
Clin Radiol 57:70-3. 2002
- US features of the normal appendix and surrounding area in childrenFraukje Wiersma
Department of Radiology, Juliana Children s Hospital, Sportlaan 600, The Hague, The Netherlands
Radiology 235:1018-22. 2005To evaluate prospectively the frequency of depiction with ultrasonography (US) of the appendix in children without clinical suspicion of acute appendicitis and to evaluate the US appearance of the normal appendix.
- The cecal appendix: one more immune component with a function disturbed by post-industrial cultureMichel Laurin
UMR 7207, CNRS MNHN UPMC, Centre de Recherches sur la Paléobiodiversité et les Paléoenvironnements, Museum national d histoire naturelle, Paris, France
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 294:567-79. 2011This review assesses the current state of knowledge regarding the cecal appendix, its apparent function, and its evolution...
- Value of routine histopathologic examination of three common surgical specimens: appendix, gallbladder, and hemorrhoidVarut Lohsiriwat
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Prannok Road, Bangkok, 10700, Thailand
World J Surg 33:2189-93. 2009The purpose of this study was to assess the need for a routine histopathologic examination of three common surgical specimens (appendix, gallbladder, hemorrhoid) and its impact on the further management of the patients.
- The coexistence of low-grade mucinous neoplasms of the appendix and appendiceal diverticula: a possible role in the pathogenesis of pseudomyxoma peritoneiL W Lamps
Department of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock 72205, USA
Mod Pathol 13:495-501. 2000..Either mechanism might allow low-grade mucinous neoplasms to penetrate the appendiceal wall more easily...
- [Carcinoid tumors of the appendix. A report of 46 cases]Mohamed I Beyrouti
Service de Chirurgie Generale, EPS Habib Bourguiba, Sfax
Tunis Med 82:668-73. 2004Carcinoïd tumors of the appendix are rare. The appendix constitutes the most frequent localization of these tumors...
- Primary T-cell non-Hodgkin's malignant lymphoma of the appendixY Kitamura
Second Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
Pathol Int 50:313-7. 2000A case of primary T-cell lymphoma of the appendix in an 84-year-old female was reported...
- Unusual duplication of appendix and cecum: extension of the Cave-Wallbridge classificationE P Kim
Department of Surgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA, USA
J Pediatr Surg 36:E18. 2001Duplicated appendix has, to date, been classified into 3 types. The authors present a type of duplicated appendix not previously described. Surgical exploration was done in a 14-year-old girl who had an acute abdomen...
- Schistosomiasis may contribute to goblet cell carcinoid of the appendixYong Jiang
Department of Pathology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, Sichuan Province, China
J Parasitol 98:565-8. 2012Abstract : To investigate whether schistosomiasis can contribute to appendiceal goblet cell carcinoid, appendix samples were obtained from 3 patients with combined appendiceal schistosomiasis and goblet cell carcinoid (CSG), 6 patients ..
- Primary epithelial neoplasms and other epithelial lesions of the appendix (excluding carcinoid tumors)Joseph Misdraji
James Homer Wright Pathology Laboratories, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 21:120-33. 2004Epithelial tumors of the appendix range from low-grade mucosal-based tumors which, when confined to the appendix, have an excellent prognosis but, once outside the appendix, have a fair prognosis and often a prolonged disease course, to ..
- Diverticular abscess of the appendix: report of a case and review of the literatureJohn Simpson
Section of Surgery, University Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 46:832-4. 2003
- Nonoperative management of pediatric ruptured appendix with inflammatory mass or abscess: presence of an appendicolith predicts recurrent appendicitisSigmund H Ein
Division of General Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X8, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 40:1612-5. 2005The aim of this study was to determine if the presence of an appendicolith is associated with an increased risk for recurrent appendicitis after nonoperative treatment of pediatric ruptured appendix with inflammatory mass or abscess.
- Ovine herpesvirus 2 structural proteins in epithelial cells and M-cells of the appendix in rabbits with malignant catarrhal feverClaudia S Meier-Trummer
Institute of Virology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 266a, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Microbiol 137:235-42. 2009..MCF were detected in multiple tissues, those sera detected viral capsid and tegument antigens exclusively in the appendix but not in other tissues of rabbits with MCF...
- Mucocele of the appendix: an unusual cause of lower abdominal pain in a patient with ulcerative colitis. A case report and review of literaturePeter Laszlo Lakatos
1st Department of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
World J Gastroenterol 11:457-9. 2005..He recovered well and the final histology revealed a cystadenoma of the appendix. Follow up was started. The patient is now free of symptoms...
- Actinomycosis of the appendix mimicking appendiceal tumor: a case reportSang Yun Lee
Department of Radiology, Dong A University Hospital, Dongdaesindong 3ga, Seo Gu, Pusan 602 715, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 16:395-7. 2010..In abdominopelvic actinomycosis, the ileocecal region, including the appendix, is the most commonly involved site...
- Preoperative diagnostic role of hyperbilirubinaemia as a marker of appendix perforationK Atahan
First Surgical Department, Izmir Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
J Int Med Res 39:609-18. 2011This retrospective study investigated preoperative markers of appendix perforation in 351 acute appendicitis cases: group 1, appendicitis not histologically confirmed; group 2, appendicitis without perforation or gangrenous changes; and ..
- US depiction of the appendix: role of abdominal wall thickness and appendiceal locationMatthew Butler
Department of Radiology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th and Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Emerg Radiol 18:525-31. 2011..of abdominal wall fat at the site of exam and appendiceal position with ultrasound (US) visualization of the appendix. The study took place at a large, urban pediatric teaching hospital...
- [An association of mucocele and carcinoid tumour of the appendix]R M Paredes Esteban
Servicio de Cirugia Pediatrica, Hospital Materno lnfantil, Complejo Hospitalario Ciudad de Jaén, Jaen
Cir Pediatr 19:250-2. 2006The carcinoid tumour of the appendix and the mucocele are entities rather infrequent in children and are normally diagnosed in the course of an appendicectomy that is, in most of the cases, curative...
- The appendix may protect against Clostridium difficile recurrenceGene Y Im
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, New York 11501, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:1072-7. 2011..Although the function of the appendix has been debated, its active, gut-associated lymphoid tissue and biofilm production indicate potential roles in ..
- [Mucocele of the appendix. Retrospective study of 10 cases]M Soueï-Mhiri
Service de Radiologie, 4064 Sousse, Tunisie
J Radiol 82:463-8. 2001..The purpose of our work was to assess the value of abdominal sonography (US) and computed tomography (CT) in the preoperative diagnosis of appendiceal mucocele...
- Sliding appendiceal inguinal hernia with a congenital fibrovascular band connecting the appendix vermiformis to the right testisP Oguzkurt
Baskent University, Faculty of Medicine, Adana Medical Center, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Turkey
Hernia 5:156-7. 2001It is not uncommon to find the appendix vermiformis within a hernia sac; however, sliding appendiceal inguinal hernia is rare. A 9-month-old boy with an incarcerated right scrotal hernia is presented in this case report...
- Incidental carcinoid of appendix in cesarean sectionHusnu Gokaslan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine of Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 104:76-8. 2002A case with carcinoid tumor of the appendix was encountered incidentally during an elective cesarean section. The tumor was discovered as a result of the routine exploration of the whole abdomen...
- Fetal cells in the maternal appendix: a marker of inflammation or fetal tissue repair?Margarida Avo Santos
Division of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Imperial College London, UK
Hum Reprod 23:2319-25. 2008..We investigated whether fetal cells participate in maternal tissue repair during human pregnancy...
- [Mucocele of the appendix - a heterogenous surgical pathology]M Kleemann
Universitätsklinikum Schleswig Holstein UK S H, Klinik fur Chirurgie, Lubeck, Deutschland
Zentralbl Chir 135:330-5. 2010Mucoceles of the appendix are rare. After appendectomy, mucoceles are detected with a frequency of 0.2 to 0.3 %...
- Bacterial translocation in the normal human appendix parallels the development of the local immune systemJan Olaf Gebbers
Institute of Pathology, Kantonsspital, CH 6000 Luzern 16, Switzerland
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1029:337-43. 2004..A physiological uptake of, or invasion by, bacteria may be instrumental (1) for tolerance induction against the indigenous flora and (2) for the stimulation and normal development of the GALT...
- Residual appendix producing small-bowel obstruction after laparoscopic appendectomyR Gordon
Centre for Minimal Access Surgery, Department of Surgery, St Joseph s Healthcare, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont
Can J Surg 47:217-8. 2004
- Enterobius vermicularis and clinical appendicitis: worms in the vermiform appendixIndra A J Nordstrand
ANZ J Surg 74:1024-5. 2004
- Bifid vermiform appendix: a case reportEwen A Griffiths
Department of General Surgery, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, United Kingdom
Curr Surg 63:176-8. 2006..009% of appendectomy specimens. The authors report a case of a patient who was found to have 2 appendices at emergency laparotomy, review the classification system used, and discuss the potential clinical pitfalls of similar cases...
- Incidence of visualization of the normal appendix on different MRI sequencesPaul Nikolaidis
Department of Radiology, Northwestern University Medical School, 676 North St Clair, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Emerg Radiol 12:223-6. 2006The purpose of this paper is to assess the incidence of visualization of the normal appendix on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) examinations of the pelvis in a large adult population and to compare the yield of commonly used sequences...
- Villous adenoma of the appendix. Diagnostic and therapeutic approachC M Fernández Blanco
General Surgery Service A, Complexo Hospitalario Juan Canalejo, A Coruna, Spain
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 94:537-43. 2002b>Appendix villous adenoma is a rare pathological entity that shows a particular form of clinical presentation that is different from villous adenomas in other places along the gastrointestinal tract.
- The use of pedicled appendix graft for substitution of urethra in recurrent urethral strictureSatish K Aggarwal
New Delhi, India
J Pediatr Surg 37:246-50. 2002..Skin or mucosal grafts, currently used for this purpose, have a high complication rate. The authors describe the use of pedicled appendix for posterior urethral substitution.
- [Torsion of the vermiform appendix associated with intussusception]Carlos Baeza-Herrera
Curso de Cirugía, UNAM, Departamento de Cirugia General, Hospital Pediátrico Moctezuma, Mexico
Cir Cir 74:369-71. 2006BACKGROUND: Vermiform appendix torsion is a rare condition, with only 25 cases recorded in the international literature. Our patient is the first case associated with intussusception...
- Torsion of the appendix mimicking ovarian torsionC Bryce Bowling
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Obstet Gynecol 107:466-7. 2006..Appendiceal torsion is rare and generally seen more frequently in children than adults. Untreated it can lead to necrosis, ulceration, and subsequent peritonitis...
- Duplex vermiform appendix: case report of a ruptured second appendixJohn R Travis
Unity Surgical Associates, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:1726-8. 2008..Inspection of the cecum revealed a second appendix, which was retrocecal, ruptured, and gangrenous...
- Imaging of acute appendicitis and its impact on negative appendectomy and perforation rates: the St. Paul's experienceW K Chooi
Chooi Vally Medical Imaging, Abbotford, BC
Can Assoc Radiol J 58:220-4. 2007..The aim of this study is to determine the prevalence of preoperative imaging of acute appendicitis in our institution and its effect on the negative appendectomy rate and perforation rates...
- Torsion of the appendix secondary to appendiceal mucocele: gray scale and contrast-enhanced sonographic findingsToshihide Hamada
Department of Gastroenterology, Miyoshi Central Hospital, 531 Higashisakeya, Miyoshi, Hiroshima 728 8502, Japan
J Ultrasound Med 26:111-5. 2007
- Angiodysplasia of the appendixT Kyokane
Department of Surgery, Yachiyo Hospital, Aichi, Japan
Am J Gastroenterol 96:242-4. 2001..material from the appendicular artery, and this finding proved to be bleeding from an angiodysplasia of the appendix. An appendectomy was performed, and anal bleeding did not recur postoperatively...
- Strangulated appendix within a trocar site incisional hernia following laparoscopic low anterior rectal resection. A case reportCh Menenakos
Department of General, Visceral, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Acta Chir Belg 109:411-3. 2009b>Appendix strangulation caused by an incisional trocar site hernia following laparoscopy is an extremely rare entity...
- Endometriosis at several sites, cyclic bowel symptoms, and the likelihood of the appendix being affectedMauricio Simoes Abrao
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sirio Libanes Hospital, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Fertil Steril 94:1099-101. 2010In patients with endometriosis of the appendix, other sites are use to be affected by the disease, mainly bladder, rectosigmoid and retrocervical endometriosis...
- Mucocele of the appendixJ Ruiz-Tovar
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Crta Colmenar Km 9, 100 28034, Madrid, Spain
World J Surg 31:542-8. 2007Mucocele of the appendix is an infrequent event, representing 0.3%-0.7% of appendiceal pathology and 8% of appendiceal tumors. It is characterized by a located or diffuse distension of the appendix with a mucus-filled lumen.
- Localization of the appendix at MR imaging during pregnancy: utility of the cecal tilt angleKaren S Lee
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Radiology 249:134-41. 2008..whether the cecal tilt angle on sagittal magnetic resonance (MR) images in pregnant patients correlates with the location of the appendix and gestational age and whether the cecal tilt angle can help predict the location of the appendix.
- Appendicitis and infections of the appendixLaura W Lamps
Department of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 21:86-97. 2004The pathologic spectrum of the acutely inflamed appendix encompasses a wide range of infectious and noninfectious entities...
- An "eye" in the gut: the appendix as a sentinel sensory organ of the immune intelligence networkKimberly A Bazar
Department of Dermatology, San Mateo Medical Center, 222 West 39th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403, USA
Med Hypotheses 63:752-8. 2004..We propose that the immune system is a parallel system of intelligence in which the gut, including the appendix, plays a prominent role in data acquisition...
- An unusual cause of acute abdomen: torsion of colonic duplication over a duplicated appendixPelin Oguzkurt
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Baskent University, Adana Medical Center, Dadaloğlu Mah 39 Sokak, No 6, 01220, Adana, Turkey
Pediatr Surg Int 20:722-3. 2004A 2-year old boy with torsion of colonic duplication, which had a proximal communication with the cecum via an incomplete duplicated appendix, is presented. The clinical picture and complications of this rare association are discussed.
- Removal of a nail from the appendixMark A Mallory
University of Washington School of Medicine Harborview Medical Center Seattle, Washington USA
Gastrointest Endosc 59:543. 2004
- Endometriosis of the appendixNasser S Al Oulaqi
Department of Surgery, Al Ain Hospital, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Afr Health Sci 8:196-8. 2008Endometriosis is a well known cause of infertility. Endometriosis of the appendix is a very rare condition...
- US examination of the appendix in children with suspected appendicitis: the additional value of secondary signsFraukje Wiersma
Department of Radiology, Haga Teaching Hospital, Location Leyweg, Leyweg 275, 2545 CH The Hague, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 19:455-61. 2009..Ultrasonographic depiction of the appendix was classified into four groups: 1, normal appendix; 2, appendix not depicted, no secondary signs of appendicitis;..
- Intestinal obstruction in the terminal ileum caused by an anomalous congenital vascular band between the mesoappendix and the mesentery: report of a caseAtsuyuki Maeda
Department of Surgery, Anjo Kosei Hospital, Anjo, Japan
Surg Today 34:793-5. 2004..The affected intestine was resected with the band and the appendix. Histologically, the fibrous band was composed of loose connective tissue containing arteries, veins, and nerve ..
- Comparative assessment of CT and sonographic techniques for appendiceal imagingS W Wise
Department of Radiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Dr, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 176:933-41. 2001..However, focused appendiceal CT with colonic contrast material material should be used as a problem-solving technique in difficult cases...
- Evidence of an inflammatory pathologic condition in "normal" appendices following emergency appendectomyL Nemeth
Children's Research Centre, Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Dublin, Ireland
Arch Pathol Lab Med 125:759-64. 2001..OBJECTIVE: To study appendix specimens for the expression of inflammatory markers as an indicator of presence of an inflammatory response in ..
- Foreign body induced appendicitisJohn R Wightman
S D J Med 57:137. 2004
- Distribution of interstitial cells of Cajal and nitrergic neurons in normal and diabetic human appendixS M Miller
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:349-57. 2008..was to determine the distribution of enteric nerves and interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) in the normal human appendix and in type 1 diabetes...
- [Laparoscopic therapy of appendicovesical fistula -- two case reports]K Albrecht
Klinik für Chirurgie und Zentrum für Minimal Invasive Chirurgie, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen
Zentralbl Chir 129:396-8. 2004..The clinical symptoms alone seem to be sufficient for indication to operate. Thus, an early laparoscopic operation significantly can shorten the length of disease...
- Comparative study of the Yang-Monti channel and appendix for continent diversion in the Mitrofanoff and Malone principlesJ L Lemelle
From the Department of Paediatric Surgery, Children Hospital, Nancy University School of Medicine, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
J Urol 172:1907-10. 2004Continent conduits for Mitrofanoff and Malone procedures are widely used for incontinence management. Because the appendix is not always suitable or available, Monti proposed a transversely retubularized short segment of ileum...
- "What you see is not what you get". A plea to remove a 'normal' appendix during diagnostic laparoscopyM Chiarugi
University of Pisa, Department of Surgery, Pisa, Italy
Acta Chir Belg 101:243-5. 2001..When a 'normal' appendix is found, appendectomy is often believe unnecessary...
- CT appearance of the normal appendix in adultsStefania Tamburrini
Dip Sc Biomorfologiche e Funzionali, Universita di Napoli Federico II, IBB CNR, Via Pansini 5, 80131, Naples, Italy
Eur Radiol 15:2096-103. 2005The aims of this study were to identify (1) the normal range of the appendix on computed tomography (CT), (2) the correlation of patient age and sex with the visibility and appearance of the appendix on CT, and (3) the normal variations ..
- Conservative management of appendix mass in childrenJ Gillick
The Chidren's Research Centre, Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Dublin, Ireland
Br J Surg 88:1539-42. 2001BACKGROUND: The management of an appendix mass in children is controversial. An experience of conservative management of appendix masses in a paediatric population over the last 19 years is reviewed...
- Bacterial-induced inflammation in germ-free rabbit appendixMalathy Shanmugam
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University of Chicago, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 11:992-6. 2005..In this report, we document the use of a germ-free ligated rabbit appendix model to induce inflammatory changes in response to specific bacteria...
- [On the relationship between body dimensions and appendix length]Sonja Raschka
Chirurgische Abteilung, Helios St Elisabeth Klinik, Hünfeld
Anthropol Anz 66:67-72. 2008..During operation, surgeons often find a wide range of appendix size of patients with varying body dimensions...
- Laparoscopic appendectomy for mucocele of the appendix: Report of 8 casesMuthukumaran Rangarajan
GEM Hospital, 45 A Pankaja Mill Road, Ramnathapuram, Coimbatore 641 045, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 25:256-7. 2006Mucocele of the appendix is an aseptic dilatation secondary to obstruction. Surgical excision is the treatment of choice in benign mucocele. The incidence of mucocele of the appendix in our center is 0...
- CD5+ B cells are preferentially expanded in rabbit appendix: the role of CD5 in B cell development and selectionRichard Pospisil
Laboratory of Immunology, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1892, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 30:711-22. 2006..However, CD5 was not detectable on the majority of B cells in neonatal appendix 1 and 3days after birth...
- Bullet fragment within the appendix: a case reportThomas V Mincheff
Hartsville Surgical Center 704 Medical Park Drive, Hartsville, SC 29550, USA
J S C Med Assoc 100:270-3. 2004..other diagnostic tests, which ultimately revealed and verified that the metal fragment was lodged in the distal appendix. Careful family history obtained showed that the family eats a great deal of wild game, including deer meat...
- Torsion of an epiploic appendix mimicking acute appendicitisHisham S Hurreiz
Department of Surgery, Newham General Hospital, Glen Road, Plaistow, London, United Kingdom
Saudi Med J 26:2003-4. 2005
- Late complication of diaphragmatic gunshot injury: appendix perforation due to colon incarcerationBilgi Baca
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 13:70-3. 2007..Celiotomy revealed a distended appendix perforation due to herniated left colon obstruction through the left pleural cavity...
- [Mucocele of the appendix and pseudomyxoma peritonei]A Fairise
Service de Radiologie Adultes, CHU Nancy Brabois, Allee du Morvan, Vandoeuvre les Nancy Cedex, France
J Radiol 89:751-62. 2008
- [Mucocele of the appendix]Roberto Gibson Ferreira Costa
Serviço de Cirurgia Geral, Hospital Senhor do Bonfim, Xiquexique, BA
Rev Col Bras Cir 36:180-2. 2009Appendiceal mucocele is a rare entity characterized by a gross enlargement of the appendix from accumulation of mucoid substance within the lumen. It is encountered in only 0.1 - 0...
- Appendicovesical fistula associated with Hirschsprung's diseaseA M Abubakar
Paediatric Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, College of Medical Sciences, University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Pediatr Surg Int 22:617-8. 2006..Our case is that of a 1-year-old boy who presented during the neonatal period with missed appendiceal perforation associated with a long segment Hirschsprung's disease. The case is discussed...
- Appendicitis due to tongue stud ingestion: a case study and review of management plansChristopher D Fischer
USD School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Sioux Falls, SD, USA
S D J Med 57:19-22. 2004..In this case report, appendectomy was performed in a patient who was symptomatic after swallowing a sharp foreign body...
- Right lower quadrant pain: value of the nonvisualized appendix in patients at multidetector CTSuvranu Ganguli
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Radiology 241:175-80. 2006To retrospectively determine the value of the nonvisualized appendix at multidetector computed tomography (CT) in patients with acute right lower quadrant pain in whom appendicitis was a consideration.
- Fluoroscopy-guided laparoscopy in the management of intraabdominal foreign bodyGulsen Ekingen
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Kocaeli University Medical Faculty, Kocaeli, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 38:E19-20. 2003..The authors recommend laparoscopic appendectomy, assisted by intraoperative fluoroscopy for patients with pointed foreign bodies in the appendix.
- Update on the surgical approach to mucocele of the appendixShubhada Dhage-Ivatury
Department of Surgery, Howard University Medical School, and the Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Am Coll Surg 202:680-4. 2006
- A case of leukemia of the appendix presenting as acute appendicitisTomomi Toubai
Department of Hematology, Sapporo Hokuyu Hospital, Japan
Acta Haematol 109:199-201. 2003..Macroscopically, the appendix was greatly swollen and reddened, but had no abscess...
- Appendicular mucosal intussusception into the cecum secondary to an intramural mucinous cystoadenoma of the appendixJean M Butte
Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Chile
J Am Coll Surg 204:510. 2007
- Torsion of the appendixAmy L Moten
University of Adelaide, SA
Med J Aust 177:632. 2002
- The primary site of CD4- 8- B220+ alphabeta T cells in lpr mice: the appendix in normal miceS Yamagiwa
Department of Immunology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
J Immunol 160:2665-74. 1998..We herein report, however, that such alphabeta T cells were abundant at intraepithelial sites of the appendix in normal mice. They lacked the expression of NK1...
- Implications of removing a normal appendixC L Bijnen
Department of Surgery, Medical Centre Alkmaar, Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 20:215-9; discussion 220-1. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate morbidity, mortality and costs of removing a normal appendix in patients with suspected appendicitis.
- Primary neoplasms of the appendix: radiologic spectrum of disease with pathologic correlationPerry J Pickhardt
Department of Radiology, National Naval Medical Center, 8901 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20889 5600, USA
Radiographics 23:645-62. 2003..Colonic-type (nonmucinous) adenocarcinoma of the appendix is much less common than mucinous tumors and typically manifests as a focal mass without mucocele formation...
- Three-dimensional and ultrastructural aspects of the lymphatic vascularization of the vermiform appendixG Azzali
Institute of Human Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Parma, Italy
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 30:545-53. 1998..three-dimensional distribution and ultrastructure of the peripheral absorbing lymphatic vessels of the vermiform appendix, since the gut-associated lymphoid tissue is necessary to the immune responses to the enteric antigens...
- Ovoid shape of the vermiform appendix: a criterion to exclude acute appendicitis--evaluation with USThomas Rettenbacher
Department of Radiology II, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria
Radiology 226:95-100. 2003To investigate whether the shape of the appendix in transverse section may be considered an ultrasonographic (US) criterion to exclude or confirm acute appendicitis.
- Appendico-ileal knotting resulting in closed-loop obstruction in a childAlbert D Yang
Department of Radiology, Changhua Christian Hospital, 135 Nan Siau Street, Changhua, Taiwan 50050, Republic of China
Pediatr Radiol 32:879-81. 2002..At surgery, an unusually long necrotic appendix knotting the terminal ileum resulted in strangulation of a segment of the terminal ileum...
- Frequency of visualization and thickness of normal appendix at nonenhanced helical CTOfer Benjaminov
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
Radiology 225:400-6. 2002To evaluate the frequency of visualization, thickness, and features of the normal appendix at nonenhanced helical computed tomography (CT).
- Needle perforation of the appendixK Renner
Department of Surgery, Danube Hospital SMZ Ost, Vienna, Austria
Dig Surg 17:413-4. 2000..Needles are among the most frequently swallowed foreign bodies. In most cases they are excreted per vias naturales, but in some cases needles can lead to perforation of the stomach or duodenum in adults...
- Torsion of the vermiform appendix: a case reportT J R Bestman
Department of Surgery, O L V Middelares Hospital Deurne, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 106:228-9. 2006This case report describes a rare condition, namely a torsion of the vermiform appendix. Its clinical condition is indistinguishable from acute appendicitis.
- Suspected acute appendicitis in female patients. Trends in diagnosis in emergency department in a University Hospital in Western region of Saudi ArabiaFatma K Althoubaity
Department of Surgery, King Abdul Aziz University Hospital, PO Box 80215, Jeddah 21589, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 27:1667-73. 2006..To determine the negative appendectomy rate; utilization, accuracy of Alvarado scale, ultrasound (US), computed tomography (CT) in diagnosis of acute appendicitis...
- Activation-induced deaminase cloning, localization, and protein extraction from young VH-mutant rabbit appendixGuibin Yang
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, and SAIC Frederick, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21701, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:17083-8. 2005..Developing rabbit appendix provides a particularly good site for studying all three of these B cell maturation events...
- Independent predictors of acute appendicitis on CT with pathologic correlationElizabeth P Ives
Department of Radiology, 132 S 10th St, 10th Floor, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Acad Radiol 15:996-1003. 2008..To assess computed tomographic (CT) signs that have been described in published studies for the diagnosis of appendicitis to identify independent findings that predict appendicitis...
- Retroperitoneal perforation of the appendix presenting as right thigh abscessNabil S El-Masry
Department of Surgery, Charing Cross Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Int Surg 87:61-4. 2002A case of retroperitoneal perforation of the appendix presenting with a thigh abscess is described. The patient presented with pyrexia (38 degrees C) and abdominal and right thigh pain. There was tenderness in the right loin...
- Irregular presence of abnormal prion protein in appendix in variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseS Joiner
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 73:597-8. 2002
- Infectious complications following laparoscopic appendectomyRohit Gupta
Centre for the Advancement of Minimally Invasive Surgery CAMIS, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Can J Surg 49:397-400. 2006..A meta-analysis of the literature suggests there is an increased rate of intra-abdominal abscess after laparoscopic appendectomy (LA) compared with open appendectomy (OA)...
- Management of appendiceal mass: controversial issues revisitedAbdul Wahed N Meshikhes
Department of Surgical Specialties, King Fahad Specialist Hospital, Dammam 34111, Saudi Arabia
J Gastrointest Surg 12:767-75. 2008Although appendix mass occurs in 10% of patients with acute appendicitis, its surgical management is surrounded with controversy. This article reviews some of the controversial issues in the management of appendix mass.
- Use of Beta-Lapachone for Lung Cancer ChemotherapyDavid Boothman; Fiscal Year: 2007..89 *Type density and size must conform to limits provided in Specific Instructions on page 10. Appendix (Five collated sets...
- Use of Beta-Lapachone for Lung Cancer ChemotherapyDavid Boothman; Fiscal Year: 2007..89 *Type density and size must conform to limits provided in Specific Instructions on page 10. Appendix (Five collated sets...
- Role of the kallikrein-kinin system in diabetic retinopathyEdward P Feener; Fiscal Year: 2010..Nature Medicine 2007, Appendix 1)...
- Role of the kallikrein-kinin system in diabetic retinopathyEDWARD FEENER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Nature Medicine 2007, Appendix 1)...
- The Role of gK in HSV-1 Induced Corneal ScarringHomayon Ghiasi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our previous (Appendix 1) and preliminary results demonstrate an absence of CD8+ T cells in the cornea of mice infected with HSV-1...
- IMPROVING ANIMAL RESOURCES FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHSylvia Kondo; Fiscal Year: 2009..Check if Appendix (Five collatedsets. Nopage numbering necessary for Appendix...
- The Role of gK in HSV-1 Induced Corneal ScarringHomayon Ghiasi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our previous (Appendix 1) and preliminary results demonstrate an absence of CD8+ T cells in the cornea of mice infected with HSV-1...
- Ninth International Congress on ToxoplasmosisBoris Striepen; Fiscal Year: 2007..S. is complicated by toxoplasmosis. T. gondii is also considered a potential bioterrorism threat (appendix B) due to its ability to cause waterborne outbreaks. Lastly, T...
- Membrane Sealing:Biopolymers for Tissue ElectroporationRaphael Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..damage by electroporation is a significant cause of much of the skeletal muscle and nerve injury that results (Appendix II)...
- Evolving Inproved Formate DehydrogenasesJAMES ROZZELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..With the increased availability of various oxidoreductases (BioCatalytics, Inc. 2003 catalog, see appendix), and the work on existing processes using amino acid dehydrogenases and alcohol dehydrogenases to make non-..
- IMMUNOREGULATION OF INTESTINAL GRANULOMASJoel Weinstock; Fiscal Year: 1993..schistosomiasis, it is probable that inflammatory cells within the liver granulomas secrete neuropeptides (see appendix)...
- NEUROPHARMACOLOGY OF ETHANOL REINFORCEMENTGeorge F Koob; Fiscal Year: 2010..within the brain emotional systems normally used to maintain emotional homeostasis (Koob and Le Moal, 2005, 2008, Appendix) and produce compulsive drinking via negative reinforcement mechanisms...
- Identification of early phase C. albicans biofilm proteinsMahmoud A Ghannoum; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have previously established an in vitro model of C. albicans denture biofilm (Publication 1, Appendix)...
- Identification of early phase C. albicans biofilm proteinsMahmoud Ghannoum; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have previously established an in vitro model of C. albicans denture biofilm (Publication 1, Appendix)...
- Domoic Acid and Neonatal Microglia ActivationAlejandro Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our working hypothesis, which we have published ((58) and Appendix # 2), is that ".....
- Molecular and Cellular Basis of Oncogene AddictionDean Felsher; Fiscal Year: 2009..inactivation, there are specific and sustained changes in gene expression [Wu et al, PLoS Genetics ; and see Appendix, Shachaf et al, Cancer Research, 2008]...
- Regulation of Organized Intestinal Lymphoid Tissues by TRANCE/RANKLIfor R Williams; Fiscal Year: 2010..While M cells were first described in the rabbit appendix over 30 years ago and are known to have a central role in uptake of particulate antigens in mucosal tissues while ..
- DIAGNOSTIC CENTERM Lucia; Fiscal Year: 2004..Blood chemistries will be carried out initially and annually for the duration of the trial (described in Appendix F of the protocol)...
- PATHOGENIC CONVERSION OF ATTENUATED SIV VACCINESEarl Sawai; Fiscal Year: 2003..1999-Appendix) These findings indicate strong selection pressure to restore pathogenic potential in live attenuated primate ..
- Pathobiology of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors in diabetesYashpal Kanwar; Fiscal Year: 2006..al., ref. # 18, appendix # 1)...