Genomes and Genes
Summary: A worm-like blind tube extension from the CECUM.
Publications246 found, 100 shown here
- McBurney's point: are we missing it?V Naraynsingh
Department of Surgery, General Hospital, Port of Spain, Trinidad, West Indies
Surg Radiol Anat 24:363-5. 2003..Analysis of these revealed that in only one case (1%) was the base of the appendix at McBurney's point. In 67% it was cephalic and in 32% it was caudal to this point...
- [Appendiceal mucocele]N Kunin
, , San Martin--Buenos Aires (Argentine
J Chir (Paris) 140:46-7. 2003
- Angiodysplasia of the appendixT Kyokane
Department of Surgery, Yachiyo Hospital, Aichi, Japan
Am J Gastroenterol 96:242-4. 2001..material from the appendicular artery, and this finding proved to be bleeding from an angiodysplasia of the appendix. An appendectomy was performed, and anal bleeding did not recur postoperatively...
- Mucocele of the appendixJ Ruiz-Tovar
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Crta Colmenar Km 9, 100 28034, Madrid, Spain
World J Surg 31:542-8. 2007Mucocele of the appendix is an infrequent event, representing 0.3%-0.7% of appendiceal pathology and 8% of appendiceal tumors. It is characterized by a located or diffuse distension of the appendix with a mucus-filled lumen.
- Residual appendix producing small-bowel obstruction after laparoscopic appendectomyR Gordon
Centre for Minimal Access Surgery, Department of Surgery, St. Joseph's Healthcare, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont
Can J Surg 47:217-8. 2004
- Bacterial translocation in the normal human appendix parallels the development of the local immune systemJan Olaf Gebbers
Institute of Pathology, Kantonsspital, CH 6000 Luzern 16, Switzerland
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1029:337-43. 2004..A physiological uptake of, or invasion by, bacteria may be instrumental (1) for tolerance induction against the indigenous flora and (2) for the stimulation and normal development of the GALT...
- Incidence of visualization of the normal appendix on different MRI sequencesPaul Nikolaidis
Department of Radiology, Northwestern University Medical School, 676 North St Clair, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Emerg Radiol 12:223-6. 2006The purpose of this paper is to assess the incidence of visualization of the normal appendix on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) examinations of the pelvis in a large adult population and to compare the yield of commonly used sequences...
- Strangulated appendix within a trocar site incisional hernia following laparoscopic low anterior rectal resection. A case reportCh Menenakos
Department of General, Visceral, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Acta Chir Belg 109:411-3. 2009b>Appendix strangulation caused by an incisional trocar site hernia following laparoscopy is an extremely rare entity...
- Villous adenoma of the appendix. Diagnostic and therapeutic approachC M Fernández Blanco
General Surgery Service A, Complexo Hospitalario Juan Canalejo, A Coruna, Spain
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 94:537-43. 2002b>Appendix villous adenoma is a rare pathological entity that shows a particular form of clinical presentation that is different from villous adenomas in other places along the gastrointestinal tract.
- Localization of the appendix at MR imaging during pregnancy: utility of the cecal tilt angleKaren S Lee
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Radiology 249:134-41. 2008..whether the cecal tilt angle on sagittal magnetic resonance (MR) images in pregnant patients correlates with the location of the appendix and gestational age and whether the cecal tilt angle can help predict the location of the appendix.
- Duplex vermiform appendix: case report of a ruptured second appendixJohn R Travis
Unity Surgical Associates, Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:1726-8. 2008..Inspection of the cecum revealed a second appendix, which was retrocecal, ruptured, and gangrenous...
- Bifid vermiform appendix: a case reportEwen A Griffiths
Department of General Surgery, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, United Kingdom
Curr Surg 63:176-8. 2006..009% of appendectomy specimens. The authors report a case of a patient who was found to have 2 appendices at emergency laparotomy, review the classification system used, and discuss the potential clinical pitfalls of similar cases...
- The use of pedicled appendix graft for substitution of urethra in recurrent urethral strictureSatish K Aggarwal
New Delhi, India
J Pediatr Surg 37:246-50. 2002..Skin or mucosal grafts, currently used for this purpose, have a high complication rate. The authors describe the use of pedicled appendix for posterior urethral substitution.
- An "eye" in the gut: the appendix as a sentinel sensory organ of the immune intelligence networkKimberly A Bazar
Department of Dermatology, San Mateo Medical Center, 222 West 39th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403, USA
Med Hypotheses 63:752-8. 2004..We propose that the immune system is a parallel system of intelligence in which the gut, including the appendix, plays a prominent role in data acquisition...
- Appendicitis and infections of the appendixLaura W Lamps
Department of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 21:86-97. 2004The pathologic spectrum of the acutely inflamed appendix encompasses a wide range of infectious and noninfectious entities...
- Enterobius vermicularis and clinical appendicitis: worms in the vermiform appendixIndra A J Nordstrand
ANZ J Surg 74:1024-5. 2004
- The NANETS consensus guideline for the diagnosis and management of neuroendocrine tumors: well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors of the Jejunum, Ileum, Appendix, and CecumJ Philip Boudreaux
Department of Surgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Pancreas 39:753-66. 2010Well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) of the jejunum, ileum, and appendix are also collectively known as midgut carcinoids. Similar to NETs in general, the diagnosed incidence of the midgut NETs is on the rise...
- Primary neoplasms of the appendix: radiologic spectrum of disease with pathologic correlationPerry J Pickhardt
Department of Radiology, National Naval Medical Center, 8901 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20889 5600, USA
Radiographics 23:645-62. 2003..Colonic-type (nonmucinous) adenocarcinoma of the appendix is much less common than mucinous tumors and typically manifests as a focal mass without mucocele formation...
- Torsion of the appendixAmy L Moten
University of Adelaide, SA
Med J Aust 177:632. 2002
- [On the relationship between body dimensions and appendix length]Sonja Raschka
Chirurgische Abteilung, Helios St Elisabeth Klinik, Hünfeld
Anthropol Anz 66:67-72. 2008..During operation, surgeons often find a wide range of appendix size of patients with varying body dimensions...
- CD5+ B cells are preferentially expanded in rabbit appendix: the role of CD5 in B cell development and selectionRichard Pospisil
Laboratory of Immunology, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892-1892, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 30:711-22. 2006..However, CD5 was not detectable on the majority of B cells in neonatal appendix 1 and 3days after birth...
- A case of leukemia of the appendix presenting as acute appendicitisTomomi Toubai
Department of Hematology, Sapporo Hokuyu Hospital, Japan
Acta Haematol 109:199-201. 2003..Macroscopically, the appendix was greatly swollen and reddened, but had no abscess...
- CT appearance of the normal appendix in adultsStefania Tamburrini
Dip Sc Biomorfologiche e Funzionali, Universita di Napoli Federico II, IBB CNR, Via Pansini 5, 80131, Naples, Italy
Eur Radiol 15:2096-103. 2005The aims of this study were to identify (1) the normal range of the appendix on computed tomography (CT), (2) the correlation of patient age and sex with the visibility and appearance of the appendix on CT, and (3) the normal variations ..
- Implications of removing a normal appendixC L Bijnen
Department of Surgery, Medical Centre Alkmaar, Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 20:215-9; discussion 220-1. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate morbidity, mortality and costs of removing a normal appendix in patients with suspected appendicitis.
- Independent predictors of acute appendicitis on CT with pathologic correlationElizabeth P Ives
Department of Radiology, 132 S 10th St, 10th Floor, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Acad Radiol 15:996-1003. 2008..To assess computed tomographic (CT) signs that have been described in published studies for the diagnosis of appendicitis to identify independent findings that predict appendicitis...
- Late complication of diaphragmatic gunshot injury: appendix perforation due to colon incarcerationBilgi Baca
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 13:70-3. 2007..Celiotomy revealed a distended appendix perforation due to herniated left colon obstruction through the left pleural cavity...
- Activation-induced deaminase cloning, localization, and protein extraction from young VH-mutant rabbit appendixGuibin Yang
Laboratory of Immunology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, and SAIC Frederick, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21701, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:17083-8. 2005..Developing rabbit appendix provides a particularly good site for studying all three of these B cell maturation events...
- Bacterial-induced inflammation in germ-free rabbit appendixMalathy Shanmugam
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University of Chicago, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 11:992-6. 2005..In this report, we document the use of a germ-free ligated rabbit appendix model to induce inflammatory changes in response to specific bacteria...
- Fluoroscopy-guided laparoscopy in the management of intraabdominal foreign bodyGulsen Ekingen
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Kocaeli University Medical Faculty, Kocaeli, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 38:E19-20. 2003..The authors recommend laparoscopic appendectomy, assisted by intraoperative fluoroscopy for patients with pointed foreign bodies in the appendix.
- Right lower quadrant pain: value of the nonvisualized appendix in patients at multidetector CTSuvranu Ganguli
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Radiology 241:175-80. 2006PURPOSE: To retrospectively determine the value of the nonvisualized appendix at multidetector computed tomography (CT) in patients with acute right lower quadrant pain in whom appendicitis was a consideration...
- Comparative study of the Yang-Monti channel and appendix for continent diversion in the Mitrofanoff and Malone principlesJ L Lemelle
From the Department of Paediatric Surgery, Children Hospital, Nancy University School of Medicine, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
J Urol 172:1907-10. 2004..Because the appendix is not always suitable or available, Monti proposed a transversely retubularized short segment of ileum...
- Incarcerated vermiform appendix in a left-sided inguinal herniaS Breitenstein
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital Winterthur, 8401 Winterthur, Switzerland
Hernia 9:100-2. 2005We report here of a patient with an incarcerated vermiform appendix occurring in a left-sided indirect inguinal hernia...
- Appendicular mucosal intussusception into the cecum secondary to an intramural mucinous cystoadenoma of the appendixJean M Butte
J Am Coll Surg 204:510. 2007
- An unusual cause of acute abdomen: torsion of colonic duplication over a duplicated appendixPelin Oguzkurt
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Baskent University, Adana Medical Center, Dadaloğlu Mah 39 Sokak, No 6, 01220, Adana, Turkey
Pediatr Surg Int 20:722-3. 2004A 2-year old boy with torsion of colonic duplication, which had a proximal communication with the cecum via an incomplete duplicated appendix, is presented. The clinical picture and complications of this rare association are discussed.
- Foreign body induced appendicitisJohn R Wightman
S D J Med 57:137. 2004
- Bullet fragment within the appendix: a case reportThomas V Mincheff
Hartsville Surgical Center; 704 Medical Park Drive, Hartsville, SC 29550, USA
J S C Med Assoc 100:270-3. 2004..other diagnostic tests, which ultimately revealed and verified that the metal fragment was lodged in the distal appendix. Careful family history obtained showed that the family eats a great deal of wild game, including deer meat...
- Removal of a nail from the appendixMark A Mallory
University of Washington School of Medicine Harborview Medical Center Seattle, Washington USA
Gastrointest Endosc 59:543. 2004
- Distribution of interstitial cells of Cajal and nitrergic neurons in normal and diabetic human appendixS M Miller
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:349-57. 2008..was to determine the distribution of enteric nerves and interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) in the normal human appendix and in type 1 diabetes...
- Appendicitis due to tongue stud ingestion: a case study and review of management plansChristopher D Fischer
USD School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Sioux Falls, SD, USA
S D J Med 57:19-22. 2004..In this case report, appendectomy was performed in a patient who was symptomatic after swallowing a sharp foreign body...
- [Laparoscopic therapy of appendicovesical fistula -- two case reports]K Albrecht
Klinik für Chirurgie und Zentrum für Minimal Invasive Chirurgie, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen
Zentralbl Chir 129:396-8. 2004..The clinical symptoms alone seem to be sufficient for indication to operate. Thus, an early laparoscopic operation significantly can shorten the length of disease...
- Endometriosis of the appendixNasser S Al Oulaqi
Department of Surgery, Al Ain Hospital, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Afr Health Sci 8:196-8. 2008Endometriosis is a well known cause of infertility. Endometriosis of the appendix is a very rare condition...
- The most useful findings for diagnosing acute appendicitis on contrast-enhanced helical CTD Choi
Department of Radiology, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Radiol 44:574-82. 2003..To evaluate the most useful findings to look for in diagnosing acute appendicitis on contrast-enhanced helical CT...
- Intestinal obstruction in the terminal ileum caused by an anomalous congenital vascular band between the mesoappendix and the mesentery: report of a caseAtsuyuki Maeda
Department of Surgery, Anjo-Kosei Hospital, Anjo, Japan
Surg Today 34:793-5. 2004..The affected intestine was resected with the band and the appendix. Histologically, the fibrous band was composed of loose connective tissue containing arteries, veins, and nerve ..
- Ovoid shape of the vermiform appendix: a criterion to exclude acute appendicitis--evaluation with USThomas Rettenbacher
Department of Radiology II, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria
Radiology 226:95-100. 2003To investigate whether the shape of the appendix in transverse section may be considered an ultrasonographic (US) criterion to exclude or confirm acute appendicitis.
- Appendico-ileal knotting resulting in closed-loop obstruction in a childAlbert D Yang
Department of Radiology, Changhua Christian Hospital, 135 Nan Siau Street, Changhua, Taiwan 50050, Republic of China
Pediatr Radiol 32:879-81. 2002..At surgery, an unusually long necrotic appendix knotting the terminal ileum resulted in strangulation of a segment of the terminal ileum...
- Torsion of the vermiform appendix: a case reportT J R Bestman
Department of Surgery, O L V Middelares Hospital Deurne, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 106:228-9. 2006This case report describes a rare condition, namely a torsion of the vermiform appendix. Its clinical condition is indistinguishable from acute appendicitis.
- Needle perforation of the appendixK Renner
Department of Surgery, Danube Hospital SMZ Ost, Vienna, Austria
Dig Surg 17:413-4. 2000..Needles are among the most frequently swallowed foreign bodies. In most cases they are excreted per vias naturales, but in some cases needles can lead to perforation of the stomach or duodenum in adults...
- Update on the surgical approach to mucocele of the appendixShubhada Dhage-Ivatury
Department of Surgery, Howard University Medical School, and the Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Am Coll Surg 202:680-4. 2006
- "What you see is not what you get". A plea to remove a 'normal' appendix during diagnostic laparoscopyM Chiarugi
University of Pisa, Department of Surgery, Pisa, Italy
Acta Chir Belg 101:243-5. 2001..When a 'normal' appendix is found, appendectomy is often believe unnecessary...
- Comparative assessment of CT and sonographic techniques for appendiceal imagingS W Wise
Department of Radiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Dr, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 176:933-41. 2001..However, focused appendiceal CT with colonic contrast material material should be used as a problem-solving technique in difficult cases...
- [Mucocele of the appendix]Roberto Gibson Ferreira Costa
Serviço de Cirurgia Geral, Hospital Senhor do Bonfim, Xiquexique, BA
Rev Col Bras Cir 36:180-2. 2009Appendiceal mucocele is a rare entity characterized by a gross enlargement of the appendix from accumulation of mucoid substance within the lumen. It is encountered in only 0.1 - 0...
- Appendicovesical fistula associated with Hirschsprung's diseaseA M Abubakar
Paediatric Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, College of Medical Sciences, University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Pediatr Surg Int 22:617-8. 2006..Our case is that of a 1-year-old boy who presented during the neonatal period with missed appendiceal perforation associated with a long segment Hirschsprung's disease. The case is discussed...
- US examination of the appendix in children with suspected appendicitis: the additional value of secondary signsFraukje Wiersma
Department of Radiology, Haga Teaching Hospital, Location Leyweg, Leyweg 275, 2545 CH The Hague, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 19:455-61. 2009..Ultrasonographic depiction of the appendix was classified into four groups: 1, normal appendix; 2, appendix not depicted, no secondary signs of appendicitis;..
- Laparoscopic appendectomy for mucocele of the appendix: Report of 8 casesMuthukumaran Rangarajan
GEM Hospital, 45 A Pankaja Mill Road, Ramnathapuram, Coimbatore 641 045, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 25:256-7. 2006Mucocele of the appendix is an aseptic dilatation secondary to obstruction. Surgical excision is the treatment of choice in benign mucocele. The incidence of mucocele of the appendix in our center is 0...
- Evidence of an inflammatory pathologic condition in "normal" appendices following emergency appendectomyL Nemeth
Children's Research Centre, Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Dublin, Ireland
Arch Pathol Lab Med 125:759-64. 2001..OBJECTIVE: To study appendix specimens for the expression of inflammatory markers as an indicator of presence of an inflammatory response in ..
- Suspected acute appendicitis in female patients. Trends in diagnosis in emergency department in a University Hospital in Western region of Saudi ArabiaFatma K Althoubaity
Department of Surgery, King Abdul Aziz University Hospital, PO Box 80215, Jeddah 21589, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 27:1667-73. 2006..To determine the negative appendectomy rate; utilization, accuracy of Alvarado scale, ultrasound (US), computed tomography (CT) in diagnosis of acute appendicitis...
- [Mucocele of the appendix and pseudomyxoma peritonei]A Fairise
Service de Radiologie Adultes, CHU Nancy-Brabois, , , France
J Radiol 89:751-62. 2008
- Frequency of visualization and thickness of normal appendix at nonenhanced helical CTOfer Benjaminov
Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
Radiology 225:400-6. 2002PURPOSE: To evaluate the frequency of visualization, thickness, and features of the normal appendix at nonenhanced helical computed tomography (CT)...
- Torsion of an epiploic appendix mimicking acute appendicitisHisham S Hurreiz
Department of Surgery, Newham General Hospital, Glen Road, Plaistow, London, United Kingdom
Saudi Med J 26:2003-4. 2005
- Three-dimensional and ultrastructural aspects of the lymphatic vascularization of the vermiform appendixG Azzali
Institute of Human Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Parma, Italy
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 30:545-53. 1998..three-dimensional distribution and ultrastructure of the peripheral absorbing lymphatic vessels of the vermiform appendix, since the gut-associated lymphoid tissue is necessary to the immune responses to the enteric antigens...
- Irregular presence of abnormal prion protein in appendix in variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseS Joiner
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 73:597-8. 2002
- The primary site of CD4- 8- B220+ alphabeta T cells in lpr mice: the appendix in normal miceS Yamagiwa
Department of Immunology, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
J Immunol 160:2665-74. 1998..We herein report, however, that such alphabeta T cells were abundant at intraepithelial sites of the appendix in normal mice. They lacked the expression of NK1...
- Retroperitoneal perforation of the appendix presenting as right thigh abscessNabil S El-Masry
Department of Surgery, Charing Cross Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Int Surg 87:61-4. 2002A case of retroperitoneal perforation of the appendix presenting with a thigh abscess is described. The patient presented with pyrexia (38 degrees C) and abdominal and right thigh pain. There was tenderness in the right loin...
- Conservative management of appendix mass in childrenJ Gillick
The Chidren's Research Centre, Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Dublin, Ireland
Br J Surg 88:1539-42. 2001BACKGROUND: The management of an appendix mass in children is controversial. An experience of conservative management of appendix masses in a paediatric population over the last 19 years is reviewed...
- Acute appendicitis of the appendiceal stumpMiriam T Aschkenasy
Department of Emergency Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Emerg Med 28:41-3. 2005..A coronal reformatted CT image demonstrated both the inflamed appendix and a normal terminal ileum...
- Pathology of the appendix in children: an institutional experience and review of the literatureRaja Rabah
Department of Pathology, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, 3901 Beaubien St, Detroit, MI 48201 2119, USA
Pediatr Radiol 37:15-20. 2007The appendix can be affected by a variety of congenital and acquired diseases, but acute appendicitis is the most common pathology found in the pediatric population.
- [Presentation of right lower quadrant pain with atypical findings]M Maier
Schweiz Rundsch Med Prax 95:907-11. 2006..Histopathological examination revealed an infiltrating mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix. The patient will be treated with adjuvant intraperitoneal chemotherapy...
- Review of the pathological results of 2660 appendicectomy specimensRavi Marudanayagam
Department of General Surgery, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK
J Gastroenterol 41:745-9. 2006PURPOSE: Appendicitis is the most commonly performed emergency abdominal surgery. The appendix can also be the site of a variety of neoplasms and unusual inflammatory conditions...
- An individualized approach to appendectomy in children based on anatomico-laparoscopic findingsMichael W L Gauderer
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital, Greenville Hospital System, University Medical Center, Greenville, South Carolina 29605 4253, USA
Am Surg 73:814-7. 2007..Depending on the degree of inflammation and mobility, the appendix was fully delivered and resected, either through the initial umbilical trocar site or, more commonly, through a ..
- Endometriosis and the appendix: a case series and comprehensive review of the literatureRobert L Gustofson
Reproductive Biology and Medicine Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Fertil Steril 86:298-303. 2006..endometriosis, summarize the literature, and more accurately estimate the prevalence of endometriosis of the appendix. DESIGN: Prospective case series and literature review. SETTING: Academic research institute...
- Asymptomatic appendicolithiasis: principles of evaluation and managementJ Scott Kennedy
Department of Surgery, Malcolm Grow Medical Center, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland 20762, USA
Curr Surg 62:87-90. 2005
- [Should interval appendicectomy be performed following the resolution of an appendiceal abscess?]S Mezoughi
Service de Chirurgie Générale et Digestive Hôtel Dieu, CHU de Clermont Ferrand, Boulevard Leon Malfreyt, 63058 Clermont Ferrand, France
Ann Chir 131:386-8. 2006
- [Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: which factors influence the decision between the surgical techniques?]R Horstmann
Abteilung für Allgemein und Viszeralchirurgie, Herz Jesu Krankenhaus Münster
Zentralbl Chir 130:48-54. 2005..Aim of this prospective observation study was to analyse the decision algorithm for both procedures in patients with the presumptive diagnosis "appendicitis"...
- Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy in West Bengal, IndiaDe Utpal
Department of Surgery, Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan, West Bengal, India
Chin J Dig Dis 6:165-9. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare laparoscopic with open appendectomy and ascertain its therapeutic benefit, if any, in the overall management of acute appendicitis...
- Appendiceal endometriosis mimicking acute appendicitisV Tumay
Department of General Surgery, Uludag University School of Medicine, Bursa, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 106:712-3. 2006..Physical examination revealed rebound tenderness in the right iliac fossa. Her white blood cell count was 23300/mm3. We performed appendicectomy. The histopathological result was endometriosis of the appendix vermiformis.
- Infectious complications following laparoscopic appendectomyRohit Gupta
Centre for the Advancement of Minimally Invasive Surgery (CAMIS, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Can J Surg 49:397-400. 2006..However, on histopathology assessment, 13 cases of normal appendix were identified (13/175, 7.4%). The overall median length of stay was 2.0 days...
- Is early laparoscopic appendectomy feasible in children with acute appendicitis presenting with an appendiceal mass? A prospective studyBrian K P Goh
Department of Pediatric Surgery, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, 229899, Singapore
J Pediatr Surg 40:1134-7. 2005..The aim is to determine the role and safety of early laparoscopic appendectomy (LA) in children with acute appendicitis presenting with an appendiceal mass...
- Acute abdomen associated with schistosomiasis of the appendixChiara Gabbi
Department of and Medical Specialties, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 51:215-7. 2006
- Appendiceal outer diameter as an indicator for differentiating appendiceal mucocele from appendicitisWan-Ching Lien
Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University and National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Am J Emerg Med 24:801-5. 2006..CONCLUSION: When the threshold is set at 15 mm, appendiceal outer diameter by sonography is a useful preoperative measurement for differentiating between AM and acute appendicitis...
- [Isolated adenomatous polyposis of the appendix. Report of two cases]Sana Ben Slama
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Hopital Mongi Slim, La Marsa, Tunisie
Tunis Med 85:81-3. 2007BACKGROUND: Adenomas are rarely diagnosed in the appendix and may be isolated or may coexist with other neoplasms in the gastrointestinal tract. This emphasizes the need for postoperative colonoscopy when a polyp of the appendix is found...
- [Goblet cell carcinoid of appendix: report of two cases]Xue-dong Zhang
Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 35:126-7. 2006
- Diverticulosis of the appendixGeorge Rakovich
Department of Surgery, Brome-Missisquoi-Perkins Hospital, Cowansville, Quebec, Canada
Dig Surg 23:26. 2006
- Laparoscopic appendectomy for appendiceal endometriosis presenting as acute appendicitis: report of a caseAkihito Idetsu
Department of General Surgical Science Surgery 1, Gunma University, Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22 Showa machi, Maebashi, and Department of Surgery, Gunma Prefecture Saiseikai Maebashi Hospital, Japan
Surg Today 37:510-3. 2007..Thus, a definitive diagnosis is likely to be established only by histology of the appendix. We report a case of endometriosis of the appendix in a 42-year-old woman who presented with symptoms of acute ..
- [Mucus secreting tumors of the appendix. Report of 22 cases]Mohamed Issam Beyrouti
, EPS Habib Bourguiba, Sfax
Tunis Med 82:1101-6. 2004..study presented in this article was realized on a series of 22 cases of mucus secreting tumor of the appendix compiled among 8373 appendicectomies. The clinical picture was dominated by an appendiceal syndrome (73%)...
- The value of routine histopathological examination of appendicectomy specimensAlun E Jones
Department of General Surgery, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust, Norwich, England, UK
BMC Surg 7:17. 2007..We evaluated histopathological reports of 1225 appendicectomy specimens at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) over the past three years...
- The status of appendiceal CT in an urban medical center 5 years after its introduction: experience with 753 patientsJames T Rhea
Harvard Medical School and Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:1802-8. 2005....
- [Diagnosis of appendicitis using harmonic ultrasound imaging]B Hülsse
Klinik für Kinderchirurgie, Klinikum Nürnberg Süd
Zentralbl Chir 132:118-23. 2007..Harmonic Imaging (HI) is a new Ultrasound (US) modality with high contrast and spatial resolution. Aim of this study was to compare fundamental imaging (FI) and HI in the diagnosis of appendicitis...
- Significance of intraepithelial lymphocytes in appendixKemal Deniz
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Pathol Res Pract 203:731-5. 2007..was to investigate the importance of the increase in intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs) in the mucosa of the appendix. One hundred and four retrospective appendectomy specimens were examined to evaluate the IELs...
- Perforated appendicitis presenting as appendicoumbilical fistulaBrigid K Killelea
Department of Surgery, Saint Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, New York, NY 10011, USA
Pediatr Surg Int 22:286-8. 2006..Although rare, a perforated appendix can present with a cutaneous fistula...
- Acute appendicitis: the continuing role for active observationP Bachoo
Department of Surgical Paediatrics, Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital, Cornhill Road, Aberdeen AB25 2ZG, UK
Pediatr Surg Int 17:125-8. 2001..079, p = 0.9). Active observation for suspected AA thus remains a valid technique for achieving an accurate diagnosis and successful outcome...
- Appendiceal abscess: immediate operation or percutaneous drainage?Carlos V R Brown
Department of Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles County USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Am Surg 69:829-32. 2003..4 days, P = 0.04). We conclude that percutaneous drainage and interval appendectomy is preferable to immediate appendectomy for treatment of appendiceal abscess because it leads to a lower complication rate and a shorter hospital stay...
- Significance of appendicoliths in abdominal painChung Por Ng
Accident and Emergency Department, North District Hospital, Hong Kong, China
J Emerg Med 24:459-61. 2003
- Increased CT scan utilization does not improve the diagnostic accuracy of appendicitis in childrenDavid A Partrick
Department of Pediatric Surgery, The Children's Hospital, University of Colorado, Denver, CO, USA
J Pediatr Surg 38:659-62. 2003..A pathologically normal appendix was removed in 7% (14 of 202) of CT patients, 11% (14 of 122) of US patients, and 8% (26 of 310) of patients ..
- Neurogenic appendicopathy: a clinical disease entity?C Franke
Department of General and Trauma Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 17:185-91. 2002..This study compared two histopathological examinations for the diagnosis of neurogenic appendicopathy (NA), assessed the frequency of NA, and evaluated whether it is a clinical disease entity distinct from acute appendicitis...
- Are acute exacerbations of chronic inflammatory appendicitis triggered by coprostasis and/or coproliths?George Sgourakis
Department of General, Visceral, and Transplantation Surgery, Essen 45122, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 14:3179-82. 2008..To examine the role of coprostasis and coproliths in recurrent appendicitis...
- Simple appendicitis?Matteo Maternini
Department of Surgery and the daggerInstitute of Pathology, University Hospital CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Can J Surg 51:E54-5. 2008
- Helicobacter pylori infection in patients undergoing appendectomyT E Pavlidis
Second Surgical Department of Medical Faculty of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, G Gennimatas Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Swiss Surg 8:110-2. 2002..This prospective study assesses the presence of this microorganism in the appendix flora and the possible role of its infection in the pathogenesis of acute appendicitis.
- Early laparoscopic appendectomy for appendicular massP S P Senapathi
Department of Surgery, Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport, Gwent, NP20 2UB, Wales, United Kingdom
Surg Endosc 16:1783-5. 2002..1). CONCLUSION: Early LA during the index admission of patients with an appendicular mass is feasible and safe, obviates the need for a second hospital admission, and avoids misdiagnoses...
- Neurogenic appendicopathy in childrenC Franke
Department of General and Trauma Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur J Pediatr Surg 12:28-31. 2002..This study compares the general and the pediatric population with respect to clinical presentation and incidence of neurogenic appendicopathy (NA)...
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the appendix: clinical and CT findings with pathologic correlationPerry J Pickhardt
Department of Radiology, National Naval Medical Center, 8901 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20889-5600, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:1123-7. 2002..this report is to describe the clinical, CT, and pathologic features of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the vermiform appendix. CONCLUSION: Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the appendix typically manifests with acute symptoms in patients who have ..
- [Morphological diagnosis of various helminthiases during analysis of surgical specimens of appendices]E S Chernysheva
Ivanteevo Central City Hospital, Moscow Region
Arkh Patol 64:37-41. 2002..On the appendixes content sections fragments of helminths parasitizing in the colon as well as their ova were often found. Determination of helminth invasion nature raises the efficiency of the pathologist's examination...
- Use of Beta-Lapachone for Lung Cancer ChemotherapyDavid Boothman; Fiscal Year: 2007..89 *Type density and size must conform to limits provided in Specific Instructions on page 10. Appendix (Five collated sets...
- Use of Beta-Lapachone for Lung Cancer ChemotherapyDavid Boothman; Fiscal Year: 2007..89 *Type density and size must conform to limits provided in Specific Instructions on page 10. Appendix (Five collated sets...
- Role of the kallikrein-kinin system in diabetic retinopathyEDWARD FEENER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Nature Medicine 2007, Appendix 1)...
- Role of the kallikrein-kinin system in diabetic retinopathyEdward P Feener; Fiscal Year: 2010..Nature Medicine 2007, Appendix 1)...
- The Role of gK in HSV-1 Induced Corneal ScarringHomayon Ghiasi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our previous (Appendix 1) and preliminary results demonstrate an absence of CD8+ T cells in the cornea of mice infected with HSV-1...
- IMPROVING ANIMAL RESOURCES FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHSylvia Kondo; Fiscal Year: 2009..Check if Appendix (Five collatedsets. Nopage numbering necessary for Appendix...
- The Role of gK in HSV-1 Induced Corneal ScarringHomayon Ghiasi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our previous (Appendix 1) and preliminary results demonstrate an absence of CD8+ T cells in the cornea of mice infected with HSV-1...
- Ninth International Congress on ToxoplasmosisBoris Striepen; Fiscal Year: 2007..S. is complicated by toxoplasmosis. T. gondii is also considered a potential bioterrorism threat (appendix B) due to its ability to cause waterborne outbreaks. Lastly, T...
- Membrane Sealing:Biopolymers for Tissue ElectroporationRaphael Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..damage by electroporation is a significant cause of much of the skeletal muscle and nerve injury that results (Appendix II)...
- Evolving Inproved Formate DehydrogenasesJAMES ROZZELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..With the increased availability of various oxidoreductases (BioCatalytics, Inc. 2003 catalog, see appendix), and the work on existing processes using amino acid dehydrogenases and alcohol dehydrogenases to make non-..
- IMMUNOREGULATION OF INTESTINAL GRANULOMASJoel Weinstock; Fiscal Year: 1993..schistosomiasis, it is probable that inflammatory cells within the liver granulomas secrete neuropeptides (see appendix)...
- NEUROPHARMACOLOGY OF ETHANOL REINFORCEMENTGeorge F Koob; Fiscal Year: 2010..within the brain emotional systems normally used to maintain emotional homeostasis (Koob and Le Moal, 2005, 2008, Appendix) and produce compulsive drinking via negative reinforcement mechanisms...
- Identification of early phase C. albicans biofilm proteinsMahmoud A Ghannoum; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have previously established an in vitro model of C. albicans denture biofilm (Publication 1, Appendix)...
- Identification of early phase C. albicans biofilm proteinsMahmoud Ghannoum; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have previously established an in vitro model of C. albicans denture biofilm (Publication 1, Appendix)...
- Domoic Acid and Neonatal Microglia ActivationAlejandro Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our working hypothesis, which we have published ((58) and Appendix # 2), is that ".....
- Molecular and Cellular Basis of Oncogene AddictionDean Felsher; Fiscal Year: 2009..inactivation, there are specific and sustained changes in gene expression [Wu et al, PLoS Genetics ; and see Appendix, Shachaf et al, Cancer Research, 2008]...
- Regulation of Organized Intestinal Lymphoid Tissues by TRANCE/RANKLIfor R Williams; Fiscal Year: 2010..While M cells were first described in the rabbit appendix over 30 years ago and are known to have a central role in uptake of particulate antigens in mucosal tissues while ..
- DIAGNOSTIC CENTERM Lucia; Fiscal Year: 2004..Blood chemistries will be carried out initially and annually for the duration of the trial (described in Appendix F of the protocol)...
- PATHOGENIC CONVERSION OF ATTENUATED SIV VACCINESEarl Sawai; Fiscal Year: 2003..1999-Appendix) These findings indicate strong selection pressure to restore pathogenic potential in live attenuated primate ..
- Pathobiology of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors in diabetesYashpal Kanwar; Fiscal Year: 2006..al., ref. # 18, appendix # 1)...