Genomes and Genes
Summary: A storage reservoir for BILE secretion. Gallbladder allows the delivery of bile acids at a high concentration and in a controlled manner, via the CYSTIC DUCT to the DUODENUM, for degradation of dietary lipid.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Proton pump inhibitors reduce gallbladder functionM A Cahan
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Campus Box 7081, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7081, USA
Surg Endosc 20:1364-7. 2006In the authors' previous study of gallbladder function before and after fundoplication, 58% of the patients demonstrated preoperative gallbladder motor dysfunction, and 86% of those retested after operation and cessation of proton pump ..
- Prostate stem cell antigen, a presumable organ-dependent tumor suppressor gene, is down-regulated in gallbladder carcinogenesisHiroe Ono
Division of Genetics, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 51:30-41. 2012b>Gallbladder cancer (GBC) is relatively rare but has a high mortality rate...
- Activation of liver X receptor sensitizes mice to gallbladder cholesterol crystallizationHirdesh Uppal
Center for Pharmacogenetics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Hepatology 47:1331-42. 2008Gallstone disease is a hepatobiliary disorder due to biochemical imbalances in the gallbladder bile...
- Hepatic Helicobacter species identified in bile and gallbladder tissue from Chileans with chronic cholecystitisJ G Fox
Division of Comparative Medicine, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139 4307, USA
Gastroenterology 114:755-63. 1998Cancer of the gallbladder is the number one cause of cancer mortality in Chilean women...
- Hypermethylation of the Ras association domain family 1A (RASSF1A) gene in gallbladder cancerSe Kook Kee
Department of Anatomy, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702 422, Korea
Mol Cells 24:364-71. 2007..the expression of RASSF1A protein, and the correlation between these and the clinicopathological features of gallbladder (GB) cancer in Korean patients...
- Gallstone diseaseH U Marschall
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
J Intern Med 261:529-42. 2007..This review summarizes current concepts on the pathogenesis of cholesterol gallstones with focus on the uptake and secretion of biliary lipids and special emphasis on recent studies into the genetic background...
- Coordinate regulation of gallbladder motor function in the gut-liver axisPiero Portincasa
Department of Internal Medicine and Public Medicine, Clinica Medica A Murri, University of Bari Medical School, Bari, Italy
Hepatology 47:2112-26. 2008..In cholesterol gallstone disease, the gallbladder becomes the target organ of a complex metabolic disease...
- The human gallbladder secretes fibroblast growth factor 19 into bile: towards defining the role of fibroblast growth factor 19 in the enterobiliary tractSerge J L B Zweers
Tytgat Institute for Liver and Intestinal Research, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hepatology 55:575-83. 2012..FGF19 messenger RNA was found to be abundantly expressed in the human gallbladder and in the common bile duct, with only minor expression observed in the ileum...
- Identification of a hormonal basis for gallbladder fillingMihwa Choi
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Nat Med 12:1253-5. 2006The cycle of gallbladder filling and emptying controls the flow of bile into the intestine for digestion...
- Estrogen-dependent gallbladder carcinogenesis in LXRbeta-/- female miceChiara Gabbi
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, S 141 86 Novum, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14763-8. 2010b>Gallbladder cancer is a highly aggressive disease with poor prognosis that is two to six times more frequent in women than men...
- Cystogastrocolic fold and associated atrophy of the gallbladderN Pamidi
Department of Anatomy, Melaka Manipal Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal 576104, Karnataka, India
Singapore Med J 49:e250-1. 2008..We report the presence of a cystogastrocolic fold associated with an abnormally small gallbladder in a 50-year-old male cadaver...
- Ultrastructure of Myxidium trachinorum sp. nov. from the gallbladder of the lesser weever fish Echiichthys viperaE U Canning
Department of Biology, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
Parasitol Res 85:910-9. 1999Myxidium trachinorum sp. nov. is described from the gallbladder of the lesser weever fish Echiichthys vipera. Pseudoplasmodia attach themselves to the gallbladder epithelium by filose processes, which are inserted between host cells...
- Comparison of artificial neural networks with logistic regression in prediction of gallbladder disease among obese patientsP L Liew
Department of Pathology, En Chu Kong Hospital, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan
Dig Liver Dis 39:356-62. 2007Obesity is a risk factor for gallbladder disease. The authors retrospectively analyse the prevalence and risk factors of gallbladder disease using logistic regression and artificial neural networks among obese patients in Taiwan.
- Endoscopic gallbladder drainage for management of acute cholecystitisTakao Itoi
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 71:1038-45. 2010Nonoperative gallbladder drainage methods for acute cholecystitis include percutaneous transhepatic gallbladder drainage and percutaneous transhepatic gallbladder aspiration, endoscopic nasogallbladder drainage and gallbladder stenting ..
- Significance of extensive surgery including resection of the pancreas head for the treatment of gallbladder cancer--from the perspective of mode of lymph node involvement and surgical outcomeRyoko Sasaki
Department of Surgery I, Iwate Medical University, 19 1 Uchimaru, Morioka, 020 8505, Japan
World J Surg 30:36-42. 2006..of extensive surgery, including pancreas head resection, for more complete lymphadenectomy in the treatment of gallbladder carcinoma...
- E-cadherin and beta-catenin expression in normal, inflamed and cancerous gallbladder tissueHarald Puhalla
Department of General Surgery, General Hospital, Medical University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Anticancer Res 25:4249-54. 2005..b>Gallbladder carcinoma (GBC) can develop during chronic inflammation from normal tissue...
- Enteroscopic cyanoacrylate sclerotherapy of jejunal and gallbladder varices in a patient with portal hypertensionS Getzlaff
Dept. of Gastroenterology, City Hospital, Ludwigshafen am Rhein (University of Mainz Medical School, Germany
Endoscopy 33:462-4. 2001..We present here a report on the diagnosis and treatment of bleeding jejunal and gallbladder varices in a man with portal hypertension caused by chronic calcifying pancreatitis...
- [Precancerous lesions of the gallbladder]R Kianmanesh
Service de Chirurgie Generale et Digestive, Hôpital Louis Mourier AP HP, Université Paris VII Colombes
J Chir (Paris) 144:278-86. 2007..Mini-review summarizes the epidemiology, predisposing and pre-cancerous conditions related to carcinoma of the gallbladder. In 75% of cases, gallbladder cancer is a cholangiocarcinoma, usually presenting in a late and advanced stage, ..
- Molecular cloning and functional expression of the human gallbladder cholecystokinin A receptorC D Ulrich
Center for Basic Research in Digestive Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 193:204-11. 1993Through binding to cholecystokinin (CCK) A receptors, CCK is an important physiologic regulator of both gallbladder contraction and pancreatic enzyme secretion...
- Renal cell carcinoma with metastases to the gallbladder: four cases from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and review of the literaturePaul H Chung
Urologic Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Urol Oncol 30:476-81. 2012We evaluate presentation and outcome of patients with metastatic RCC to the gallbladder from our institution and published literature.
- MUC 1 core protein as a marker of gallbladder malignancyM Ghosh
Department of Gastroenterological and Hepatobiliary Surgery, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba Shi 305, Japan
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:891-6. 2005The significance of MUC 1 expression in the gallbladder tissues in relation to cancer and non-cancer disease is not well understood. The aim of this study was to clarify the significance of MUC 1 expression.
- New species of Myxosporea from frogs and resurrection of the genus Cystodiscus Lutz, 1889 for species with myxospores in gallbladders of amphibiansAshlie Hartigan
University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Parasitology 139:478-96. 2012..Spores of both species are produced in the gallbladder. Spores of C. axonis sp. n. possess distinct filiform polar appendages (FPA)...
- A new species of Sphaeromyxa (Myxosporea: Sphaeromyxina: Sphaeromyxidae) in devil firefish, Pterois miles (Scorpaenidae), from the northern Red Sea: morphology, ultrastructure, and phylogenyA Diamant
Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research Ltd, National Center for Mariculture, Eilat 88112, Israel
J Parasitol 90:1434-42. 2004Sphaeromyxa zaharoni n. sp. (Myxosporea) is described from the gallbladder of devil firefish, Pterois miles (Scorpaenidae), from coral reefs of the Gulf of Eilat, Israel, northern Red Sea...
- Frequent and significant K-ras mutation in the pancreas, the bile duct, and the gallbladder in autoimmune pancreatitisTerumi Kamisawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Pancreas 38:890-5. 2009..To assess the relationship between autoimmune pancreatitis (AIP) and pancreatic cancer, we analyzed K-ras mutation in the pancreatobiliary tissues of patients with AIP...
- Interstitial Cajal-like cells in human gallbladderMihail E Hinescu
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, PO Box 35 29 Bucharest 35, Romania
J Mol Histol 38:275-84. 2007We describe here an interstitial Cajal-like cell type (ICLC) in human gallbladder, resembling the archetypal enteric interstitial cells of Cajal...
- Sitosterolemia in ABC-transporter G5-deficient mice is aggravated on activation of the liver-X receptorTorsten Plosch
Center for Liver, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases, University Hospital Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 126:290-300. 2004..It has been proposed that ABCG5/ABCG8 heterodimers mediate secretion of plant sterols and cholesterol by hepatocytes into bile and their efflux from enterocytes into the intestinal lumen...
- Sonographic diagnosis of biliary atresia in pediatric patients using the "triangular cord" sign versus gallbladder length and contractionKimio Kanegawa
Department of Radiology, Kobe Children s Hospital, 1 1 1 Takakuradai Suma ku, Kobe 654 0081, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 181:1387-90. 2003A retrospective review was performed to evaluate the importance of the "triangular cord" sign in comparison with gallbladder length and contraction for the diagnosis of biliary atresia in pediatric patients.
- Relationship between pain symptoms and referred sensory and trophic changes in patients with gallbladder pathologyMaria Adele Giamberardino
Ce S I, G d Annunzio Foundation, G D Annunzio University of Chieti, Pescara, Italy
Pain 114:239-49. 2005The relationship was investigated between algogenic potential of gallbladder pathology and occurrence/extent of sensory and trophic changes in the referred area...
- Salmonella infection of gallbladder epithelial cells drives local inflammation and injury in a model of acute typhoid feverAlfredo Menendez
Michael Smith Laboratories, Division of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Life Sciences Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Infect Dis 200:1703-13. 2009The gallbladder is often colonized by Salmonella during typhoid fever, yet little is known about bacterial pathogenesis in this organ...
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of hepatocellular carcinomas adjacent to the gallbladder with internally cooled electrodes: assessment of safety and therapeutic efficacySang Won Kim
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 10:366-76. 2009..this study was to evaluate the safety and therapeutic efficacy of percutaneous radiofrequency (RF) ablation for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinomas (HCCs) adjacent to the gallbladder with the use of internally cooled electrodes.
- Lost gallstones in laparoscopic cholecystectomy: all possible complicationsJörg Zehetner
Department of Surgery, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Operative Laparoscopy, AKH Linz, Krankenhausstrasse 9, 4020 Linz, Austria
Am J Surg 193:73-8. 2007..The aim of this review is to categorize these complications and to evaluate the frequency and management of lost gallstones...
- Gallbladder carcinoma: radiologic-pathologic correlationA D Levy
Department of Radiologic Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 6825 16th St NW, Bldg 54, Rm M 121, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Radiographics 21:295-314; questionnaire, 549-55. 2001Primary carcinoma of the gallbladder is an uncommon, aggressive malignancy that affects women more frequently than men. Older age groups are most often affected, and coexisting gallstones are present in the vast majority of cases...
- Megalin and cubilin expression in gallbladder epithelium and regulation by bile acidsBenjamín Erranz
Center for Cell Regulation and Pathology Joaquin V Luco, Departamento de Biologia Celular y Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, and Instituto Milenio de Biología Fundamental y Aplicada, Santiago, Chile
J Lipid Res 45:2185-98. 2004Cholesterol crystal formation in the gallbladder is a key step in gallstone pathogenesis. Gallbladder epithelial cells might prevent luminal gallstone formation through a poorly understood cholesterol absorption process...
- Ultrasound measurement of gallbladder wall thickening as a diagnostic test and prognostic indicator for severe dengue in pediatric patientsJames A Colbert
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:850-2. 2007b>Gallbladder wall thickening measured by ultrasound was significantly associated with severe dengue, as well as with hallmark features of thrombocytopenia and elevated hematocrit/hemoconcentration, in children with suspected dengue in ..
- Micronutrients, antioxidants, and carcinoma of the gallbladderVijay Kumar Shukla
Department of Surgery, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
J Surg Oncol 84:31-5. 2003..This study was undertaken to test the above hypothesis in patients with carcinoma of the gallbladder.
- Activated Src and Ras induce gefitinib resistance by activation of signaling pathways downstream of epidermal growth factor receptor in human gallbladder adenocarcinoma cellsBaoli Qin
First Department of Internal Medicine and Department of Biosystemic Science of Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, 812 8582, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Japan
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 58:577-84. 2006..In this study, we investigated the mechanistic role of Src and Ras, major oncogene products implicated in the pathogenesis of many human cancers in gefitinib sensitivity...
- Functional magnetic resonance cholangiography (fMRC) of the gallbladder and biliary tree with contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance cholangiographyLaura M Fayad
The Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 18:449-60. 2003..To determine the diagnostic performance of functional magnetic resonance cholangiography (fMRC) for the evaluation of anatomic and functional biliary disorders...
- Real-time sonography for screening of gallbladder dysfunction in children with type 1 diabetes mellitusI Arslanoglu
Department of Pediatrics, Göztepe Educational Hospital of SSK, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 14:61-9. 2001The aim of this study was to evaluate the occurrence of gallbladder dysfunction in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus using real-time ultrasonography. The study population consisted of 20 diabetic children (11 male, 9 female; age 11...
- Microbiology of gallbladder bile in uncomplicated symptomatic cholelithiasisVasitha Abeysuriya
Department of Clinical Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Ragama, Sri Lanka
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 7:633-7. 2008..Few studies have assessed microflora and their antibiotic sensitivity in normal bile and lithogenic bile with different types of gallstones...
- Brush cells of rodent gallbladder and stomach epithelia express neurofilamentsLiliana Luciano
Department of Cell Biology, Center of Anatomy, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Histochem Cytochem 51:187-98. 2003..b>Gallbladder and stomach specimens from mice and rats, respectively, were fixed in various solutions, embedded either in ..
- [Incidentalomas of the liver and gallbladder. Evaluation and therapeutic procedure]Carl Zülke
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitatsklinikum Regensburg
Chirurg 78:698-712. 2007..The stage-oriented radical re-resection following diagnosis of an incidentally detected gallbladder cancer may lead to significantly improved long-term survival, especially in the early tumour stages T1b and T2, ..
- An unusual cause of cholecystitis: heterotopic pancreatic tissue in the gallbladderGulsum Ozlem Elpek
Akdeniz University, Medical School, Department of Pathology, Yeni Tip, Dekanlik, 07070, Antalya, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 13:313-5. 2007b>Gallbladder localization of heterotopic pancreas (HP) is uncommon and very rarely gives rise to symptoms. Herein we report a case of HP found in the gallbladder neck presented with signs and symptoms of cholecystitis...
- Profile of gallbladder diseases diagnosed at Afyon Kocatepe University: a retrospective studyMustafa Mazlum
Department of Pathology, Afyon Kocatepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Turk Patoloji Derg 27:23-30. 2011b>Gallbladder is one of the most commonly encountered specimen in a pathology laboratory. A diverse spectrum of diseases affect the biliary system, often presenting with similar clinical signs and symptoms...
- Evidence that gallbladder epithelial mucin enhances cholesterol cholelithogenesis in MUC1 transgenic miceHelen H Wang
Department of Medicine, Liver Center and Gastroenterology Division, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Digestive Diseases Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Gastroenterology 131:210-22. 2006The gel-forming mucins play an important role in the early stage of cholesterol gallstone formation. We investigated whether the gallbladder epithelial mucin encoded by mucin gene 1 (MUC1) influences susceptibility to gallstones.
- Transient reticular gallbladder wall thickening in severe dengue fever: a reliable sign of plasma leakageGabriel Antonio Oliveira
Nossa Senhora da Gloria Children s Hospital, Rua Mary Ubirajara 205, Vitoria, Brazil
Pediatr Radiol 40:720-4. 2010..The main feature of this severe form of DF is plasma leakage. Gallbladder wall thickening (GBWT), ascites and pleural effusion represent the sonographic triad of plasma leakage in DF.
- Mixed adenoneuroendocrine carcinoma (MANEC) of the gallbladder: a possible stem cell tumor?Alberto E Paniz Mondolfi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, St Luke s Division, Clark 4, 1111 Tenth Avenue, New York, NY 10025, USA
Pathol Int 61:608-14. 2011..A PET-CT of the abdomen and pelvis demonstrated hypermetabolic, polypoid masses within the gallbladder and several tumors in the left lobe of the liver for which she underwent diagnostic laparoscopy...
- Abnormalities of the gallbladder, clinical effectsJ P Faure
Service Chirurgie Viscérale Digestive et Endocrinienne, Hopital Jean Bernard, CHU Poitiers, Universite de Poitiers, 2 rue de la Miletrie, BP 577, 86021 Poitiers Cedex, France
Surg Radiol Anat 30:285-90. 2008..literature was to present and discuss the anatomical and embryological basis of congenital abnormalities of the gallbladder, based on a case of volvulus...
- Subcellular localization of the ABCG2 transporter in normal and malignant human gallbladder epitheliumSylvia Aust
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Lab Invest 84:1024-36. 2004Epithelium of the gallbladder and biliary tract is exposed to high concentrations of potentially harmful exogenous and endogenous compounds excreted into primary bile...
- Contrast enhanced sonography of the gallbladder: a tool in the diagnosis of cholecystitis?Boris Adamietz
Institute of Radiology, University of Erlangen, Maximiliansplatz 1, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Radiol 61:262-6. 2007To evaluate if contrast enhanced sonography (CES) can help to detect gallbladder inflammation and differentiate between acute and chronic cholecystitis.
- [Right liver agenesis with ectopic gallbladder and bile duct calculi]R Boufettal
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 32:405-7. 2008
- Abnormal peritoneal fold connecting the greater omentum with the liver, gallbladder, right kidney and lesser omentumSatheesha B Nayak
Melaka Manipal Medical College Manipal Campus, International Centre for Health Sciences, Madhav Nagar, Manipal, Udupi District, Karnataka State, India
Bratisl Lek Listy 110:736-7. 2009..fold of peritoneum that extended from the upper right part of the greater omentum and stomach to the fossa for gallbladder. This fold merged with the lesser omentum on the left and extended to the right kidney when traced posteriorly...
- Gallbladder bed irrigation with bupivacaine improves pulmonary functions after laparoscopic cholecystectomyHunsu Alptekin
Department of Surgery, Selcuklu Medical Faculty, Selcuk University, 42075, Konya, Turkey
Langenbecks Arch Surg 395:501-4. 2010Afferent stimulus arising from gallbladder and its bed may elicit reflex inhibition of the diaphragm. Pulmonary function would be improved by blocking this stimulus after laparoscopic cholecystectomy...
- Gallbladder stent placement for prevention of cholecystitis in patients receiving covered metal stent for malignant obstructive jaundice: a feasibility studySonia Gosain
Digestive Health Center, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0708, USA
Dig Dis Sci 55:2406-11. 2010..Occlusion of the cystic duct by CSEMS may be complicated by cholecystitis. This potentially could be prevented by placement of a transpapillary gallbladder stent (GBS).
- Accurate staging for gallbladder cancer: implications for surgical therapy and pathological assessmentHiromichi Ito
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Ann Surg 254:320-5. 2011This study evaluates the significance of tumor involvement of the liver in early T-stage tumors and lymph node (LN) metastases on outcome after R0 resection of gallbladder cancer (GBCA).
- Gallbladder wall thickening in mononucleosis syndromesK Yamada
Department of General Internal Medicine, Seirei Hamamatsu General Hospital, 2-12-12 Sumiyoshi, Hamamatsu 430-8558, Japan
J Clin Ultrasound 29:322-5. 2001PURPOSE: We used sonography to measure gallbladder wall thickness in patients with mononucleosis syndromes and then evaluated laboratory data, spleen size, and clinical evolution to assess any relationship between gallbladder wall ..
- Aberrant maspin expression in gallbladder epithelium is associated with intestinal metaplasia in patients with cholelithiasisC Maesawa
Department of Pathology, Iwate Medical University School of Medicine, Uchimaru 19 1, 020 8505 Morioka, Japan
J Clin Pathol 59:328-30. 2006..expression of maspin protein related to DNA hypomethylation in the promoter region is frequently observed in gallbladder carcinomas, whereas the non-tumorous gallbladder epithelium is maspin negative...
- Agenesis of the gallbladder with hypoplastic cystic duct diagnosed at laparoscopyA Hon Kwon
Department of Surgery, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 16:251-4. 2006..Ultrasonography of the abdomen showed dilated extrahepatic bile ducts containing stones; however, the gallbladder was not clearly identified...
- Cholecystitis, gallstones and free radical reactions in human gallbladderP Sipos
2nd Department of Surgery, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Kútvölgyi u 4, H 1125 Hungary
Med Sci Monit 7:84-8. 2001The relationship between biophysical and biochemical processes of gallbladder bile and free radical reactions is still not known...
- Design and application of a new series of gallbladder endoscopes that facilitate gallstone removal without gallbladder excisionTie Qiao
The Second People s Hospital of Panyu District, Panyu, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Rev Sci Instrum 83:015115. 2012In recent years, some Chinese doctors have proposed a new concept, gallstone removal without gallbladder excision, along with transition of the medical model...
- Expression of the p16(INK4a) gene product in premalignant and malignant epithelial lesions of the gallbladderBridget C Lynch
Department of Pathology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, MSC 084640 Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 12:161-4. 2008The sequence of molecular changes leading to neoplastic transformation in the gallbladder remains elusive...
- Biliary-hepatic recycling of a xenobiotic: gallbladder absorption of methyl mercuryW J Dutczak
Department of Biophysics, University of Rochester School of Medicine, New York 14642
Am J Physiol 260:G873-80. 1991The role of the gallbladder in the disposition of methyl mercury was investigated in guinea pig, hamster, and macaque monkey...
- Changes in gallbladder motility and gallstone formation following laparoscopic gastric banding for morbid obestityBilal O Al-Jiffry
Departmentof General and Digestive Surgery, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Can J Gastroenterol 17:169-74. 2003..Morbid obesity is associated with cholesterol gallstone formation, a risk compounded by rapid weight loss. Laparoscopic gastric banding allows for a measured rate of weight loss, but the subsequent risk for developing gallstones is unknown...
- Diagnostic imaging of carcinomas of the gallbladder and the bile ductsH Oikarinen
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Oulu University Hospital, OYS, Finland
Acta Radiol 47:345-58. 2006Early diagnosis and accurate staging of carcinomas of the gallbladder and the bile ducts are helpful in improving the prognosis...
- Identification of PEG10 and TSG101 as carcinogenesis, progression, and poor-prognosis related biomarkers for gallbladder adenocarcinomaDong Cai Liu
Department of Geriatric Surgery, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410011, China
Pathol Oncol Res 17:859-66. 2011..However, their expression and clinical significance in gallbladder cancer (GBC) have not yet been identified...
- Left-sided gallbladder with right-sided ligamentum teres hepatis: rare associated anomaly of exomphalosRhim Si-Youn
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery College of Medicine, Hanyang University, Seoul 133 791, South Korea
J Pediatr Surg 43:1390-5. 2008The aim of this investigation was to establish the association of left-sided gallbladder and right-sided ligamentum teres hepatis with exomphalos and to clarify the portal venous anomaly associated with right-sided ligamentum teres.
- Hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm associated with cholecystitis that ruptured into the gallbladderTomotaka Akatsu
Department of Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol 39:900-3. 2004..Color-Doppler ultrasound imaging showed a pulsatile wave pattern in an echogenic lesion inside the gallbladder. Contrast-enhanced computed tomography demonstrated a 3-cm pseudoaneurysm in the distended gallbladder...
- Comparison of sonography and scintigraphy in the evaluation of gallbladder functional studies with cholecystokininRichard G Barr
Radiology Consultants, Inc, Youngstown, OH 44512, USA
J Ultrasound Med 28:1143-7. 2009Both sonography and scintigraphy have been used to evaluate gallbladder function with the use of sincalide (cholecystokinin [CCK]). However, the reported ejection fractions (EFs) for the two modalities are not the same...
- Osmotic water permeability of Necturus gallbladder epitheliumC U Cotton
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77550
J Gen Physiol 93:649-79. 1989..content and has good temporal resolution was used to determine the hydraulic permeability (Lp) of Necturus gallbladder epithelium...
- Ellipsomyxa gobii (Myxozoa: Ceratomyxidae) in the common goby Pomatoschistus microps (Teleostei: Gobiidae) uses Nereis spp. (Annelida: Polychaeta) as invertebrate hostsMarianne Køie
Marine Biological Laboratory, University of Copenhagen, DK 3000 Helsingør, Denmark
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 51:14-8. 2004..actinosporean stages developed into myxosporean stages of Ellipsomyxa gobii Køie, 2003 (Ceratomyxidae) in the gallbladder of the common goby Pomatoschistus microps (Krøyer) (Gobiidae). The European eel Anguilla anguilla (L...
- The marine herring myxozoan Ceratomyxa auerbachi (Myxozoa: Ceratomyxidae) uses Chone infundibuliformis (Annelida: Polychaeta: Sabellidae) as invertebrate hostMarianne Køie
Marine Biological Laboratory, University of Copenhagen, DK 3000 Helsingør, Denmark
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 55:100-4. 2008..This myxosporean was found in the gallbladder of the Atlantic herring Clupea harengus L...
- The significance of 99mTc-MAA SPECT/CT liver perfusion imaging in treatment planning for 90Y-microsphere selective internal radiation treatmentHojjat Ahmadzadehfar
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Nucl Med 51:1206-12. 2010....
- Helicobacter species and common gut bacterial DNA in gallbladder with cholecystitisPeren H Karagin
Department of Medical Microbiology, Lund University, Solvegatan 23, SE 223 62 Lund, Sweden
World J Gastroenterol 16:4817-22. 2010..To analyze the association between Helicobacter spp. and some common gut bacteria in patients with cholecystitis...
- [Laparoscopic approach in gallbladder agenesis--an intraoperative surprise]M Beuran
Clinica de Chirurgie, Spitalul Clinic de Urgenţă Bucureşti, Calea Floreasca Nr 8, Sector 1, 014461 Bucureşti, Romania
Chirurgia (Bucur) 105:531-6. 2010The congenital absence of the gallbladder in the absence of biliary atresia is extremely rare, world literature recognizing only 413 cases. The aim of this study is to clarify the diagnostic and therapeutic approach of this rare condition.
- CT diagnosis of traumatic gallbladder injuryAaron Wittenberg
Department of Radiology, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44109, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 185:1573-4. 2005
- Effect of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma ligand on inflammation of human gallbladder epithelial cellsGuang Dong Pan
PO Box 119, West China Medical University, Chengdu 610041, Sichuan Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:6061-5. 2005..receptor gamma (PPAR-gamma) and its ligand, ciglitazone, on inflammatory regulation of human gallbladder epithelial cells (HGBECs) and to assess the effect of human epithelial growth factor (hEGF) on growth of HGBECs.
- Unusual presentations of spilled gallstonesM Yamamuro
Department of General Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Surg Endosc 17:1498. 2003Perforation of the gallbladder with resultant spillage of gallstones is not an uncommon occurrence. Spillage is reported to occur in 6% to 40% of laparoscopic cholecystectomies...
- Effects of ceftriaxone sodium on in vitro gallbladder contractility in guinea pigsMehmet Arpacik
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Cumhuriyet University School of Medicine, Sivas, Turkey
J Surg Res 122:157-61. 2004It has been reported that ceftriaxone may induce the formation of gallstones. Changes of gallbladder motility may play a role in this phenomenon...
- Multiseptate gallbladder: diagnostic value of MR cholangiography and ultrasonographyT Nakazawa
Department of Internal Medicine and Bioregulation, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 1 Kawasumi, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
Abdom Imaging 29:691-3. 2004Multiseptate gallbladder is a rare congenital malformation. We present a case that emphasizes the importance of ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging...
- Aberrant expression of CDX2 in the metaplastic epithelium and inflammatory mucosa of the gallbladderHiroyuki Osawa
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1253-4. 2004
- Gallbladder agenesis with common bile duct stone--a rare case with a brief review of the literatureAmit Mittal
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Department of Radiology, Ambala, Haryana, India
Turk J Gastroenterol 22:216-8. 2011..the case of a 45-year-old female who presented with obstructive jaundice and was diagnosed as agenesis of the gallbladder with choledocholithiasis...
- Diagnosis and laparoscopic approach to gallbladder torsion and cholelithiasisPatricio Cruz Garciavilla
Gastrointestinal Surgery Department, Hospital Español de México
JSLS 14:147-51. 2010Torsion of the gallbladder is common in elderly women. Different causes have been proposed for this rare condition. The presence of a long mesentery and loss of visceral fat are the main causes for the development of torsion...
- Rare coincidence of congenital short and annular pancreas with gallbladder agenesis and splenic malrotationM K Demir
Radiology Department, Trakya University School of Medicine, Edirne, Turkey
Br J Radiol 81:e204-6. 2008We present an adult patient with anomalies of congenital short and annular pancreas, gallbladder agenesis and splenic malrotation...
- Can biliary atresia be diagnosed by ultrasonography alone?Shigeru Takamizawa
Department of Surgery, Kobe Children s Hospital, Kobe 654 0081, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 42:2093-6. 2007..We evaluated whether BA can be diagnosed by ultrasonography alone using 3 findings: TCS, gallbladder length (GBL), and gallbladder contractility (GBC).
- Gallbladder agenesis with a stone in the cystic duct budMasaharu Ishida
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryocho, Aobaku, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 15:220-3. 2008..Abdominal computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging failed to demonstrate the gallbladder, but showed a gallstone in a duct-like structure parallel to the common bile duct...
- Cross-sectional imaging of acute and chronic gallbladder inflammatory diseaseEthan A Smith
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Health System, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5030, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 192:188-96. 2009The purpose of this article is to provide a comprehensive review of the clinical and cross-sectional imaging features of a variety of acute and chronic gallbladder inflammatory diseases.
- Effectiveness for pain after laparoscopic cholecystectomy of 0.5% bupivacaine-soaked Tabotamp placed in the gallbladder bed: a prospective, randomized, clinical trialFrancesco Feroci
General Surgery Unit, Misericordia and Dolce Hospital, Prato, Italy
Surg Endosc 23:2214-20. 2009..for pain control after video-laparoscopic cholecystectomy at its optimal dosage of 2 mg/kg infiltrated in the muscular fasciae of the trocars, or positioned in the gallbladder soaking a sheet of regenerated oxidized cellulose (Tabotamp).
- Two new Myxidium species (Myxosporea: Myxidiidae) infecting the gallbladder of African flying fish, Cheilopogon nigricans and Suez fusilier, Caesio suevicus from the Red Sea, Egypt: a morphological and morphometric studyAbdel Azeem Sh Abdel-Baki
Zoology Department, College of Science, King Saud University, P O Box 12455, Riyadh, 11451, Saudi Arabia
Parasitol Res 105:513-8. 2009Myxidium maamouni sp. n. and Myxidium aydai sp. n. were described from the gallbladder of the African flying fish Cheilopogon nigricans and Suez fusilier Caesio suevicus, respectively...
- Multiseptate gallbladderEnid Y Rivera-Troche
School of Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 13:1741-3. 2009Multiseptate gallbladder is a rare congenital condition that may be asymptomatic or may lead to symptoms consistent with biliary colic, even in the absence of cholelithiasis.
- Extrahepatic biliary atresia with cartilaginous metaplasia in the gallbladder remnantsE Altamirano
Department of Pathology, Superiora Sor Maria Ludovica Children s Hospital, La Plata, Argentina
J Clin Pathol 61:965-6. 2008..A similar finding is presented here, but in the gallbladder of an infant with the full-blown manifestations of EBA; it is proposed that the alteration results from ..
- Morphological and physiological evidence for interstitial cell of Cajal-like cells in the guinea pig gallbladderBrigitte Lavoie
Department of Anatomy, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Physiol 579:487-501. 2007b>Gallbladder smooth muscle (GBSM) exhibits spontaneous rhythmic electrical activity, but the origin and propagation of this activity are not understood...
- Helicobacter pylori DNA in gallbladder tissue of patients with cholelithiasis and cholecystitisKuaybe Yucebilgili
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Literature, Fatih University, Turkey
J Infect Dev Ctries 3:856-9. 2009Earlier reports on the detection of H. pylori DNA in gallbladder tissue of patients with cholelithiasis and cholecystitis gave discordant results. Our aim was to detect the presence of H...
- Gallbladder wall inflammatory cells in pediatric patients with biliary dyskinesia and cholelithiasis: a pilot studyBrian Rau
University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:1545-8. 2006..This study was undertaken to evaluate gallbladder wall inflammatory cells in children with abdominal pain related to gallstones and biliary dyskinesia to ..
- Hartmann's gallbladder pouch revisited 60 years laterF C van Eijck
Department of Surgery, Medisch Centrum Rijnmond Zuid, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 21:1122-5. 2007Hartmann's gallbladder pouch was the subject of an article in The Lancet 60 years ago. It has regained new interest in view of laparoscopic cholecystectomy. However, different opinions exist with regard to its incidence and nature...
- Effect of ursodeoxycholic acid on inflammatory infiltrate in gallbladder muscle of cholesterol gallstone patientsS Carotti
Department of Biomedical Research CIR, University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:866-73, e232. 2010Reduced gallbladder (GB) contractility and chronic inflammatory changes in the mucosa have been reported in patients with cholesterol gallstones (GS)...
- Does Helicobacter pylori identification in the mucosa of the gallbladder correlate with cholesterol gallstone formation?J Griniatsos
First Department of Surgery, University of Athens, Medical School, Laiko Hospital, GR 115 27, Athens, Greece
West Indian Med J 58:428-32. 2009..In this study, any possible association between the H pylori identification in the mucosa of gallbladder and cholesterol gallstone formation was evaluated
- Ultrasonic diagnosis of biliary atresia: a retrospective analysis of 20 patientsShi Xing Li
Department of Ultrasound, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, Liaoning Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 14:3579-82. 2008..To investigate the clinical value of ultrasonographic diagnosis of biliary atresia (BA), a retrospective analysis of the sonogram of 20 children with BA was undertaken...
- Cholecystokinin cholescintigraphy: detection of abnormal gallbladder motor function in patients with chronic acalculous gallbladder diseaseD Fink-Bennett
Nuclear Medicine Department, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073 6769
J Nucl Med 32:1695-9. 1991..performed in 374 patients with recurrent postprandial right upper quadrant pain, biliary colic, and a normal gallbladder sonogram and/or cholecystogram...
- Measurements of gallbladder motor function by ultrasonography: towards standardizationP Portincasa
Section of Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine and Public Medicine, University Medical School of Bari, Piazza G Cesare, 70124 Bari, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 35:S56-61. 2003..easy, validated and reproducible technique, it can be repeated over time to document time-related changes of gallbladder motor function...
- Volvulus of the gallbladder: laparoscopic detorsion and removalS Y Kim
Department of Surgery, Abington Memorial Hospital, Abington, PA 19001, USA
Surg Endosc 17:1849. 2003A 73-year-old woman who presented with symptoms of acute cholecystitis was found to have a gangrenous gallbladder wrapped in three complete rotations around its pedicle...
- Expression of the GLUT1 glucose transporter in gallbladder carcinomasYoun Wha Kim
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Hepatogastroenterology 49:907-11. 2002..We hypothesized that human erythrocyte glucose transporter-1 expression is increased in gallbladder carcinoma and might be correlated with prognostic significance.
- Gallbladder motility in obesity, diabetes mellitus and coeliac diseaseM Fraquelli
University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 35:S12-6. 2003We reviewed data on gallbladder motility in obesity, diabetes and coeliac disease...
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO CANCER CENTER PLANNING GRANTCheryl Willman; Fiscal Year: 2004..types of cancer that are common in non-Hispanic Whites, both Indians and Hispanics have had very high rates of gallbladder, stomach, and cervix cancer in the past several decades...
- Mechanism of gallbladder tumorigenesis in BK5.erbB2 miceKaoru Kiguchi; Fiscal Year: 2007..All of these factors render gallbladder cancer nearly incurable with a five year survival rate of only 5-21%...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF THE GALLBLADDERGary Mawe; Fiscal Year: 2009Decreased contractility is a hallmark of gallbladder disorders, and it is associated with inflammation and gallstone formation...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF THE GALLBLADDERGary M Mawe; Fiscal Year: 2010Decreased contractility is a hallmark of gallbladder disorders, and it is associated with inflammation and gallstone formation...
- CNS AUTONOMIC REGULATION BY ELECTROACUPUNCTUREJohn Longhurst; Fiscal Year: 2002..In this model, stimulation of gallbladder chemosensitive afferent nerve endings reflexly increased arterial blood pressure, and augmented myocardial ..
- Bile, Biofilms and Salmonella Gallbladder CarriageJohn S Gunn; Fiscal Year: 2010Infection with Salmonella typhi can cause a chronic, relatively asymptomatic infection of the human gallbladder. S. typhi carriers are responsible for much of the human-to-human spread of typhoid fever...
- Bile, Biofilms and Salmonella Gallbladder CarriageJohn Gunn; Fiscal Year: 2007Infection with Salmonella typhi can cause a chronic, relatively asymptomatic infection of the human gallbladder. S. typhi carriers are responsible for much of the human-to-human spread of typhoid fever...
- Extracellular Replication of Listeria in VivoChristopher H Contag; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have recently identified the gallbladder as a potential reservoir of bacteria in symptomatic and asymptomatic infected mice, and have determined that ..
- Fibroblast Growth Factor Regulation in the PancreasSam Holmstrom; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our recent studies show that fibroblast growth factor 15 (FGF15) is a secreted endocrine hormone that promotes gallbladder filling and opposes CCK-induced contraction of the gallbladder (9)...
- MYOGENIC DISORDERS OF THE GALLBLADDERJose Behar; Fiscal Year: 2004Acute cholecystitis (AC) affects 88% of patients with symptomatic gallbladder (GB) stones over a 18 year period and has a significant morbidity and mortality in elderly patients...
- Cross-sectional and prospective cohort data analysis of physical activity and heaPaul Williams; Fiscal Year: 2009..35%), macular degeneration (54%), hypertension (30%), hypercholesterolemia (47%), diabetes (68%), gout (45%), gallbladder disease (52%), diverticular disease (48%), benign prostate hyperplasia (33%), and nonfatal stroke (60%)...
- Cross-sectional and prospective cohort data analysis of physical activity and heaPaul T Williams; Fiscal Year: 2010..35%), macular degeneration (54%), hypertension (30%), hypercholesterolemia (47%), diabetes (68%), gout (45%), gallbladder disease (52%), diverticular disease (48%), benign prostate hyperplasia (33%), and nonfatal stroke (60%)...
- CONTROL OF MOTILITY IN THE SPHINCTER OF ODDIGary Mawe; Fiscal Year: 1993..This system, which includes the gallbladder, the biliary ducts, and the sphincter of Oddi (SO), must work as a unit to store and concentrate bile between ..
- Function and Regulatin of Intestinal Basolateral Organic Solute TransportersAnuradha Rao; Fiscal Year: 2007Project Summary: Bile acids are secreted by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and efficiently reabsorbed from the intestine...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF THE GALLBLADDERGary Mawe; Fiscal Year: 1993The overall aim of this study is to determine how gallbladder function is influenced by the neurons that lie within the wall of the gallbladder...