Genomes and Genes
Summary: Slender, contractile, mesenchymal-like cells found in close association with capillary walls. They are relatively undifferentiated and may become fibroblasts, macrophages, or smooth muscle cells. (From Stedman, 26th ed)
Publications270 found, 100 shown here
- A new blood-brain barrier model using primary rat brain endothelial cells, pericytes and astrocytesShinsuke Nakagawa
Department of Pharmacology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Sakamoto, Japan
Neurochem Int 54:253-63. 2009..While pericytes are the cells situated closest to brain endothelial cells morphologically and share a common basement membrane, ..
- A perivascular origin for mesenchymal stem cells in multiple human organsMihaela Crisan
Department of Pediatrics, Stem Cell Research Center, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Cell Stem Cell 3:301-13. 2008..We have prospectively identified perivascular cells, principally pericytes, in multiple human organs including skeletal muscle, pancreas, adipose tissue, and placenta, on CD146, NG2, and ..
- Pericytes regulate the blood-brain barrierAnnika Armulik
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Division of Vascular Biology, Karolinska Institute, Scheeles vag 2, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Nature 468:557-61. 2010..Other possible constituents of the BBB include extracellular matrix, astrocytes and pericytes, but the relative contribution of these different components to the BBB remains largely unknown...
- Pericytes are required for blood-brain barrier integrity during embryogenesisRichard Daneman
UCSF Department of Anatomy, 513 Parnassus Avenue, HSW1301, San Francisco, California 94143 0452, USA
Nature 468:562-6. 2010..Here we demonstrate that the barrier is formed during embryogenesis as endothelial cells invade the CNS and pericytes are recruited to the nascent vessels, over a week before astrocyte generation...
- Endothelial/pericyte interactionsAnnika Armulik
Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Circ Res 97:512-23. 2005Interactions between endothelial cells and mural cells (pericytes and vascular smooth muscle cells) in the blood vessel wall have recently come into focus as central processes in the regulation of vascular formation, stabilization, ..
- Apolipoprotein E controls cerebrovascular integrity via cyclophilin ARobert D Bell
Center for Neurodegenerative and Vascular Brain Disorders, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Nature 485:512-6. 2012..to BBB breakdown by activating a proinflammatory CypA-nuclear factor-κB-matrix-metalloproteinase-9 pathway in pericytes. This, in turn, leads to neuronal uptake of multiple blood-derived neurotoxic proteins, and microvascular and ..
- Pericytes control key neurovascular functions and neuronal phenotype in the adult brain and during brain agingRobert D Bell
Department of Neurosurgery and Neurology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Center for Neurodegenerative and Vascular Brain Disorders, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Neuron 68:409-27. 2010b>Pericytes play a key role in the development of cerebral microcirculation. The exact role of pericytes in the neurovascular unit in the adult brain and during brain aging remains, however, elusive...
- Bidirectional control of CNS capillary diameter by pericytesClaire M Peppiatt
Department of Physiology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Nature 443:700-4. 2006..b>Pericytes, which are apposed to CNS capillaries and contain contractile proteins, could initiate such signalling...
- Central nervous system pericytes in health and diseaseEthan A Winkler
Center for Neurodegenerative and Vascular Brain Disorders, Department of Neurosurgery and Neurology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, USA
Nat Neurosci 14:1398-405. 2011b>Pericytes are uniquely positioned within the neurovascular unit to serve as vital integrators, coordinators and effectors of many neurovascular functions, including angiogenesis, blood-brain barrier (BBB) formation and maintenance, ..
- Microglia, macrophages, perivascular macrophages, and pericytes: a review of function and identificationGilles J Guillemin
Centre for Immunology, Neuroimmunology Department, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Leukoc Biol 75:388-97. 2004The phenotypic differentiation of systemic macrophages that have infiltrated the central nervous system, pericytes, perivascular macrophages, and the "real" resident microglial cells is a major immunocytochemical and immunohistochemical ..
- Endothelial-pericyte interactions in angiogenesisHolger Gerhardt
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Goteborg, Medicinaregatan 9A, PO Box 440, SE 405 30, Goteborg, Sweden
Cell Tissue Res 314:15-23. 2003It takes two to make blood vessels-endothelial cells and pericytes. While the endothelial cells are the better characterized of the two, pericytes are now coming into focus as important regulators of angiogenesis and blood vessel ..
- Pericytes: developmental, physiological, and pathological perspectives, problems, and promisesAnnika Armulik
Division of Vascular Biology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Dev Cell 21:193-215. 2011b>Pericytes, the mural cells of blood microvessels, have recently come into focus as regulators of vascular morphogenesis and function during development, cardiovascular homeostasis, and disease...
- Pericytes and perivascular fibroblasts are the primary source of collagen-producing cells in obstructive fibrosis of the kidneyShuei Liong Lin
Laboratory of Inflammation Research, Renal Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Pathol 173:1617-27. 2008..Here we show that in normal kidney, both podocytes and pericytes generate coll1a1 transcripts as detected by enhanced GFP, and that in fibrotic kidney, coll1a1-GFP expression ..
- Abnormalities in pericytes on blood vessels and endothelial sprouts in tumorsShunichi Morikawa
Department of Anatomy and Cardiovascular Research Institute and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0130, USA
Am J Pathol 160:985-1000. 2002Endothelial cells of tumor vessels have well-documented alterations, but it is less clear whether pericytes on these vessels are abnormal or even absent...
- Pericytes and vessel maturation during tumor angiogenesis and metastasisAhmad Raza
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation, Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Am J Hematol 85:593-8. 2010..Mural cells are vascular support cells that range in phenotype from pericytes to vascular smooth muscle cells...
- A pericyte origin of spinal cord scar tissueChristian Goritz
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Science 333:238-42. 2011..The formation of connective tissue is common to many injuries and pathologies, and here we demonstrate a cellular origin of fibrosis...
- Lack of pericytes leads to endothelial hyperplasia and abnormal vascular morphogenesisM Hellstrom
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg University, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
J Cell Biol 153:543-53. 2001The association of pericytes (PCs) to newly formed blood vessels has been suggested to regulate endothelial cell (EC) proliferation, survival, migration, differentiation, and vascular branching...
- Breaching multiple barriers: leukocyte motility through venular walls and the interstitiumSussan Nourshargh
Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, William Harvey Research Institute, Charterhouse Square, London, UK
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 11:366-78. 2010....
- Pericytes of human skeletal muscle are myogenic precursors distinct from satellite cellsArianna Dellavalle
Stem Cell Research Institute, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, 58 Via Olgettina, 20132 Milan, Italy
Nat Cell Biol 9:255-67. 2007..However, adult cells do not express endothelial markers, but instead express markers of pericytes, such as NG2 proteoglycan and alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and can be prospectively isolated from freshly ..
- Role of PDGF-B and PDGFR-beta in recruitment of vascular smooth muscle cells and pericytes during embryonic blood vessel formation in the mouseM Hellstrom
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg University, Box 440, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Development 126:3047-55. 1999..system involves the assembly of two principal cell types - endothelial cells and vascular smooth muscle cells/pericytes (vSMC/PC) - into many different types of blood vessels...
- NG2 proteoglycan is expressed exclusively by mural cells during vascular morphogenesisU Ozerdem
The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, San Diego, CA 92307, USA
Dev Dyn 222:218-27. 2001..cardiomyocytes, in developing macrovasculature by smooth muscle cells, and in nascent microvessels by vascular pericytes. Due to the scarcity of proven markers for developing pericytes, NG2 is especially useful for identification of ..
- Pericytes resident in postnatal skeletal muscle differentiate into muscle fibres and generate satellite cellsA Dellavalle
Division of Regenerative Medicine, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Nat Commun 2:499. 2011..Here we show that pericytes, transgenically labelled with an inducible Alkaline Phosphatase CreERT2, but not endothelial cells, fuse with ..
- In search of the in vivo identity of mesenchymal stem cellsLindolfo da Silva Meirelles
Department of Genetics, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Avenida Bento Goncalves 9500, 91501 970 Porto Alegre RS, Brazil
Stem Cells 26:2287-99. 2008..we show an analysis of the evidence suggesting a perivascular location for MSCs, correlating these cells with pericytes, and present a model in which the perivascular zone is the MSC niche in vivo, where local cues coordinate the ..
- Expression modification of uncoupling proteins and MnSOD in retinal endothelial cells and pericytes induced by high glucose: the role of reactive oxygen species in diabetic retinopathyYan Cui
Department of Ophthalmology, Shanghai First People s Hospital, 85 Wu Jin Road, Shanghai 200080, PR China
Exp Eye Res 83:807-16. 2006..Bovine retinal capillary endothelial cells and pericytes were cultured with selective culture media, respectively...
- Pericytes from brain microvessels strengthen the barrier integrity in primary cultures of rat brain endothelial cellsShinsuke Nakagawa
Department of Pharmacology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 12 4 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8523, Japan
Cell Mol Neurobiol 27:687-94. 2007..2) In contrast to astrocytes, pericytes, another neighboring cell of endothelial cells in brain capillaries, are rarely used in BBB co-culture systems...
- CNS microvascular pericytes exhibit multipotential stem cell activityPaula Dore-Duffy
Department of Neurology, Division of Neuroimmunology, Multiple Sclerosis Clinical Research Center, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:613-24. 2006..In their microvascular location, pericytes express nestin and NG2 proteoglycan...
- Pericyte recruitment during vasculogenic tube assembly stimulates endothelial basement membrane matrix formationAmber N Stratman
Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, School of Medicine, Dalton Cardiovascular Center, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Blood 114:5091-101. 2009..tunnels (ie, matrix spaces created during tube formation) serve as conduits for the recruitment and motility of pericytes along EC ablumenal surfaces to facilitate vessel maturation events, including vascular basement membrane matrix ..
- Perivascular multi-lineage progenitor cells in human organs: regenerative units, cytokine sources or both?Chien Wen Chen
Stem Cell Research Center, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh and UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 20:429-34. 2009..We have prospectively identified and purified vascular pericytes in multiple human organs and shown that these cells are potent mesodermal progenitors that give rise to genuine ..
- The impact of pericytes on the blood-brain barrier integrity depends critically on the pericyte differentiation stageGokulan Thanabalasundaram
Institute of Biochemistry, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Wilhelm Klemm Strasse 2, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43:1284-93. 2011The blood-brain barrier consists of the cerebral microvascular endothelium, pericytes, astrocytes and neurons...
- Morphology and properties of pericytesPaula Dore-Duffy
Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
Methods Mol Biol 686:49-68. 2011b>Pericytes were described in 1873 by the French scientist Charles-Marie Benjamin Rouget and were originally called Rouget cells...
- Angiogenesis of the blood-brain barrier in vitro and the function of cerebral pericytesMarkus Ramsauer
Department of Neuroanatomy and Molecular Brain Research, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Bochum, Germany
FASEB J 16:1274-6. 2002Cerebral pericytes constitute an essential component of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and are involved in blood vessel assembly...
- Endothelium-specific platelet-derived growth factor-B ablation mimics diabetic retinopathyMaria Enge
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg University, PO Box 440, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
EMBO J 21:4307-16. 2002Loss of pericytes from the capillary wall is a hallmark of diabetic retinopathy, however, the pathogenic significance of this phenomenon is unclear...
- Pericyte migration from the vascular wall in response to traumatic brain injuryP Dore-Duffy
Department of Neurology, Detroit Medical Center, MI 48201, USA
Microvasc Res 60:55-69. 2000..In areas close to the site of impact cortical pericytes underwent a number of changes within the first hour...
- A role for pericytes as microenvironmental regulators of human skin tissue regenerationSophie Paquet-Fifield
Research Division, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, St Andrew s Place, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Invest 119:2795-806. 2009..Here, we demonstrate that, in organotypic cocultures, dermal pericytes substantially enhanced the intrinsically low tissue-regenerative capacity of human epidermal cells that have ..
- Endothelial and nonendothelial sources of PDGF-B regulate pericyte recruitment and influence vascular pattern formation in tumorsAlexandra Abramsson
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Sahlgrenska Academy at Göteberg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Clin Invest 112:1142-51. 2003..Current antiangiogenic approaches focus mainly on endothelial cells, but recent data imply that targeting pericytes may provide additional benefits...
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor protects cultured retinal pericytes from advanced glycation end product-induced injury through its antioxidative propertiesSho ichi Yamagishi
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume 830 0011, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 296:877-82. 2002..whether PEDF proteins could protect against advanced glycation end product (AGE)-induced injury in retinal pericytes. Ligand blot analysis revealed that pericytes possessed a membrane protein with binding affinity for PEDF...
- Coregulation of vascular tube stabilization by endothelial cell TIMP-2 and pericyte TIMP-3W Brian Saunders
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Cell Biol 175:179-91. 2006..EC-pericyte interactions strongly induce TIMP-3 expression by pericytes, whereas ECs produce TIMP-2 in EC-pericyte cocultures...
- Brain pericytes contribute to the induction and up-regulation of blood-brain barrier functions through transforming growth factor-beta productionShinya Dohgu
Department of Pharmaceutical Care and Health Sciences, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuoka University, 8 19 1 Nanakuma, Jonan ku, Fukuoka 814 0180, Japan
Brain Res 1038:208-15. 2005The blood-brain barrier (BBB) is a highly organized multicellular complex consisting of an endothelium, brain pericytes and astrocytes...
- Pericytes: gatekeepers in tumour cell metastasis?Holger Gerhardt
Vascular Biology Laboratory, London Research Institute Cancer Research UK, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3PX, UK
J Mol Med (Berl) 86:135-44. 2008..In this paper, we review recent evidence for a novel role of the supporting mural cells in limiting blood-borne metastasis...
- Pericytes. Morphofunction, interactions and pathology in a quiescent and activated mesenchymal cell nicheL Diaz-Flores
Department of Anatomy, Pathology, Histology and Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Histol Histopathol 24:909-69. 2009We review the morphofunctional characteristics of pericytes and report our observations...
- Endothelial-mural cell signaling in vascular development and angiogenesisKonstantin Gaengel
Vascular Biology Laboratory, Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29:630-8. 2009..We further reflect recent data suggesting an important function for Notch3 signaling in mural cell maturation...
- Endothelial cell-pericyte cocultures induce PLA2 protein expression through activation of PKCalpha and the MAPK/ERK cascadeCarmelina Daniela Anfuso
Department of Biochemistry, University of Catania, 95126 Catania, Italy
J Lipid Res 48:782-93. 2007Little is known about the regulatory mechanisms of endothelial cell (EC) proliferation by retinal pericytes and vice versa...
- Importance of pericytes and mechanisms of pericyte loss during diabetes retinopathySohail Ejaz
Faculty of Medicine, Johan Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:53-63. 2008b>Pericytes are distinctive regulators of angiogenesis and are adumbrated to provide vessel stability and control of endothelial proliferation...
- Pericytes and vascular stabilityDesiree von Tell
Vascular Biology Laboratory, Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medical, Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 312:623-9. 2006..and subsequently become stabilized through the formation of a perivascular matrix and the association with pericytes. The presence of pericyte per se is not sufficient for vascular stability...
- Contribution of glial cells and pericytes to the mRNA profiles of P-glycoprotein and multidrug resistance-associated proteins in an in vitro model of the blood-brain barrierVincent Berezowski
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie de la Barrière Hémato encéphalique, Unité mixte Institut Pasteur de Lille, Université d Artois, Faculte Jean Perrin, EA 2465 Lens, France
Brain Res 1018:1-9. 2004..blood-brain barrier (BBB), without taking into account a possible influence or contribution of glial cells and pericytes. Using semiquantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), the present study analysed the ..
- Pericytes support neutrophil subendothelial cell crawling and breaching of venular walls in vivoDoris Proebstl
William Harvey Research Institute, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
J Exp Med 209:1219-34. 2012Neutrophil transmigration through venular walls that are composed of endothelial cells (ECs), pericytes, and the venular basement membrane is a key component of innate immunity...
- Malignant cell-derived PlGF promotes normalization and remodeling of the tumor vasculatureEva Maria Hedlund
Department of Microbiology and Tumor and Cell Biology, Karolinska Institute, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:17505-10. 2009..Our findings shed light on functions of PlGF as a vascular remodeling factor that normalizes the tumor vasculature and thus may have conceptual implications of cancer therapy...
- Bax is increased in the retina of diabetic subjects and is associated with pericyte apoptosis in vivo and in vitroF Podesta
Schepens Eye Research Institute and the Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Am J Pathol 156:1025-32. 2000..However, studies in situ showed in several pericytes, the outer cells of retinal capillaries, intense Bax staining often in conjunction with DNA fragmentation...
- Brain microvascular pericytes are immunoactive in culture: cytokine, chemokine, nitric oxide, and LRP-1 expression in response to lipopolysaccharideAndrej Kovac
Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Neuroinflammation 8:139. 2011Brain microvascular pericytes are important constituents of the neurovascular unit. These cells are physically the closest cells to the microvascular endothelial cells in brain capillaries...
- Capillary and arteriolar pericytes attract innate leukocytes exiting through venules and 'instruct' them with pattern-recognition and motility programsKonstantin Stark
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik I, Klinikum der Universitat, Ludwig Maximilians Universität and Deutsches Herzzentrum München, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Nat Immunol 14:41-51. 2013..Here we demonstrate that NG2(+) pericytes controlled the pattern and efficacy of the interstitial migration of leukocytes in vivo...
- Pericytes promote endothelial cell survival through induction of autocrine VEGF-A signaling and Bcl-w expressionMarcela Franco
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Division of Vascular Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Blood 118:2906-17. 2011Endothelial cells (ECs) in blood vessels under formation are stabilized by the recruitment of pericytes, both in normal tissues and during angiogenesis in pathologic situations, including neoplasia...
- The role of pericytes in blood-brain barrier function and strokeShuo Liu
Departments of Neurology, University of California Irvine, USA
Curr Pharm Des 18:3653-62. 2012Central nervous system pericytes have critical and complex inductive, structural, and regulatory roles interacting with other cell types of the neurovascular unit, especially endothelial cells and astrocytes...
- PDGF receptor β signaling in pericytes following ischemic brain injuryKoichi Arimura
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Curr Neurovasc Res 9:1-9. 2012..It has been suggested recently that PDGF receptor β (PDGFRβ) expressed in brain pericytes as well as in neurons and astrocytes may mediate the neuroprotective role of PDGF-B...
- Multipotent vasculogenic pericytes from human pluripotent stem cells promote recovery of murine ischemic limbAyelet Dar
Department of Ob Gyn, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa 31096, Israel
Circulation 125:87-99. 2012b>Pericytes represent a unique subtype of microvessel-residing perivascular cells with diverse angiogenic functions and multilineage developmental features of mesenchymal stem cells...
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor inhibits advanced glycation end-products-induced cytotoxicity in retinal pericytesS Sheikpranbabu
Department of Biotechnology, Division of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Kalasalingam University Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education, Krishnankoil 626126, Anand Nagar, Tamilnadu, India
Diabetes Metab 37:505-11. 2011This study investigated the effects of pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) on advanced glycation end-product (AGE)-induced cytotoxicity in porcine retinal pericytes and the signalling mechanism involved.
- Response of capillary cell death to aminoguanidine predicts the development of retinopathy: comparison of diabetes and galactosemiaT S Kern
Departments of Medicine, Ophthalmology, Pharmacology and Center for Diabetes Research, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41:3972-8. 2000..To examine the relationship between early retinal capillary cell apoptosis and late histologic lesions of diabetic retinopathy and to compare the effects of aminoguanidine (AMG) on the retinopathies caused by diabetes and galactose feeding...
- Pericytes in capillaries are contractile in vivo, but arterioles mediate functional hyperemia in the mouse brainFrancisco Fernández-Klett
Department of Neuropsychiatry and Laboratory of Molecular Psychiatry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:22290-5. 2010..Capillary pericytes recently were suggested to mediate neurovascular coupling in brain slices, but their role in vivo remains ..
- Mechanisms of fibrosis: the role of the pericyteClaudia Schrimpf
Laboratory of Inflammation Research, Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 20:297-305. 2011Until recently kidney pericytes were little known. This review will update readers about key new findings concerning pericyte abundance, function in kidney vascular biology and major role in fibrogenesis...
- Advanced glycation end-products induce basement membrane hypertrophy in endoneurial microvessels and disrupt the blood-nerve barrier by stimulating the release of TGF-β and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) by pericytesF Shimizu
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neuroscience, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Minami kogushi, Ube, Yamaguchi 7558505, Japan
Diabetologia 54:1517-26. 2011..The purpose of the present study was to identify the possible mechanisms responsible for inducing the hypertrophy of basement membrane and the disruption of the BNB after exposure to AGEs...
- High glucose-induced apoptosis in bovine retinal pericytes is associated with transforming growth factor beta and betaIG-H3: betaIG-H3 induces apoptosis in retinal pericytes by releasing Arg-Gly-Asp peptidesJeung H Han
Department of Internal Medicine, Kyungpook National University Medical School, Daegu, Korea
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 38:620-8. 2010..betaIG-H3 is a downstream target molecule of TGF-beta that may participate in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy and in particular in the loss of pericytes during early pathological changes.
- Role of laminins in physiological and pathological angiogenesisPatricia Simon-Assmann
Universite de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Int J Dev Biol 55:455-65. 2011The interaction of endothelial cells and pericytes with their microenvironment, in particular with the basement membrane, plays a crucial role during vasculogenesis and angiogenesis...
- Endothelium-specific ablation of PDGFB leads to pericyte loss and glomerular, cardiac and placental abnormalitiesMattias Bjarnegard
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg University, PO Box 440, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Development 131:1847-57. 2004..techniques, we show here that genetic ablation of Pdgfb in endothelial cells leads to impaired recruitment of pericytes to blood vessels...
- Multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells obtained from diverse human tissues share functional properties and gene-expression profile with CD146+ perivascular cells and fibroblastsDimas T Covas
Department of Clinical Medicine, Center for Cell Therapy and Regional Blood Center, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Exp Hematol 36:642-54. 2008The relationship of multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells (MSC) with pericytes and fibroblasts has not been established thus far, although they share many markers of primitive marrow stromal cells and the osteogenic, adipogenic, and ..
- Osteoblast precursors, but not mature osteoblasts, move into developing and fractured bones along with invading blood vesselsChrista Maes
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, 02114, USA
Dev Cell 19:329-44. 2010..These findings reveal the specific involvement of immature osteoblast precursors in the coupled vascular and osteogenic transformation essential to endochondral bone development and repair...
- Benefits of targeting both pericytes and endothelial cells in the tumor vasculature with kinase inhibitorsGabriele Bergers
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1287-95. 2003..selectivity for PDGFRs (SU6668) is shown to block further growth of end-stage tumors, eliciting detachment of pericytes and disruption of tumor vascularity...
- Transplantation of human pericyte progenitor cells improves the repair of infarcted heart through activation of an angiogenic program involving micro-RNA-132Rajesh Katare
University of Bristol, Bristol Royal Infirmary Level 7, United Kingdom
Circ Res 109:894-906. 2011b>Pericytes are key regulators of vascular maturation, but their value for cardiac repair remains unknown.
- CNS pericytes: concepts, misconceptions, and a way outMartin Krueger
Dr Senckenbergische Anatomie, Institute of Clinical Neuroanatomy, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Glia 58:1-10. 2010..Fifty years later, Zimmermann termed these cells "pericytes" and distinguished three subtypes along the vascular tree...
- Microarray analysis of blood microvessels from PDGF-B and PDGF-Rbeta mutant mice identifies novel markers for brain pericytesCecilia Bondjers
Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77, Stockholm, Sweden
FASEB J 20:1703-5. 2006Normal blood microvessels are lined by pericytes, which contribute to microvessel development and stability through mechanisms that are poorly understood...
- Early pericyte response to brain hypoxia in cats: an ultrastructural studyEngin Gonul
Departments of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine GATA, Etlik, 06018 Ankara, Turkey
Microvasc Res 64:116-9. 2002Hypoxic condition in the brain result in microvascular dysfunction. Pericytes are one of the blood-brain barrier constituents with the endothelial cells and astrocytes...
- Pericyte migration: a novel mechanism of pericyte loss in experimental diabetic retinopathyFrederick Pfister
5th Medical Department, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Diabetes 57:2495-502. 2008..Hyperglycemia induces angiopoietin-2 (Ang-2) transcription, which modulates capillary pericyte coverage. In this study, we assessed loss of pericyte subgroups and the contribution of Ang-2 to pericyte migration...
- NG2 proteoglycan expression by pericytes in pathological microvasculatureUgur Ozerdem
Cancer Research Center, Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Microvasc Res 63:129-34. 2002
- FOXO1 plays an essential role in apoptosis of retinal pericytesMani Alikhani
Department of Orthodontics, New York University, College of Dentistry, New York, NY, USA
Mol Vis 16:408-15. 2010An early and significant event in diabetic retinopathy is the loss of retinal microvascular pericytes. Studies were performed to investigate pathways through which an advanced glycation endproduct and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha ..
- Pericyte deficiencies lead to aberrant tumor vascularizaton in the brain of the NG2 null mouseFeng Ju Huang
Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, Cancer Center, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Dev Biol 344:1035-46. 2010Tightly regulated crosstalk between endothelial cells and pericytes is required for formation and maintenance of functional blood vessels...
- Recruitment of pericytes and astrocytes is closely related to the formation of tight junction in developing retinal vesselsJeong Hun Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine and Seoul Artificial Eye Center, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Neurosci Res 87:653-9. 2009..In this process, endothelial cells are closely related to astrocytes and pericytes with strict chronological order...
- Pericytes: pluripotent cells of the blood brain barrierPaula Dore-Duffy
Department of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 421 East Canfield Avenue, 3126 Elliman Clinical Research Building, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Curr Pharm Des 14:1581-93. 2008b>Pericytes were described nearly 140 years ago by the French scientist Charles-Marie Benjamin Rouget and were referred to as the Rouget cell. The Rouget cell was renamed primarily due to its anatomical location in the endothelium...
- Pathological angiogenesis is reduced by targeting pericytes via the NG2 proteoglycanUgur Ozerdem
La Jolla Institute for Molecular Medicine, Vascular Biology Division, La Jolla, California, USA
Angiogenesis 7:269-76. 2004The NG2 proteoglycan is expressed by nascent pericytes during the early stages of angiogenesis...
- Neural crest-derived pericytes promote egress of mature thymocytes at the corticomedullary junctionMarcus A Zachariah
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, HSE1001, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Science 328:1129-35. 2010..By deleting sphingosine kinases in neural crest-derived pericytes, we provide evidence that these specialized vessel-ensheathing cells contribute to the S1P that promotes thymic ..
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor inhibits oxidative stress-induced apoptosis and dysfunction of cultured retinal pericytesShinjiro Amano
Department of Internal Medicine III, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67 Asahi Machi, Kurume 830 0011, Japan
Microvasc Res 69:45-55. 2005..High glucose (30 mM) increased intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation in pericytes, which was completely blocked by PEDF...
- EphrinB reverse signaling contributes to endothelial and mural cell assembly into vascular structuresOmbretta Salvucci
Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 114:1707-16. 2009..retina, the wounded skin, and tumor tissue, and is detected at contact points between endothelial cells and pericytes. Furthermore, inhibition ofEphrinB activity prevents proper assembly of pericytes and endothelial cells into ..
- Detachment of brain pericytes from the basal lamina is involved in disruption of the blood-brain barrier caused by lipopolysaccharide-induced sepsis in miceTsuyoshi Nishioku
Department of Pharmaceutical Care and Health Sciences, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuoka University, 8 19 1 Nanakuma, Jonan ku, Fukuoka, 814 0180, Japan
Cell Mol Neurobiol 29:309-16. 2009..Brain pericytes are one of the important cellular constituents of the BBB and are multifunctional, polymorphic cells that lie ..
- High glucose alters connexin 43 expression and gap junction intercellular communication activity in retinal pericytesAn Fei Li
Department of Ophthalmology, Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:5376-82. 2003..To investigate the role of the gap junction protein, connexin-43 (Cx43) in the maintenance of retinal vascular homeostasis in diabetic retinopathy...
- Small cerebral vessel disease in familial amyloid and non-amyloid angiopathies: FAD-PS-1 (P117L) mutation and CADASIL. Immunohistochemical and ultrastructural studiesGrazyna M Szpak
Department of Neuropathology, Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology, Sobieskiego 9, 02 957 Warsaw, Poland
Folia Neuropathol 45:192-204. 2007..between lamellae of BM, frequently in a pericyte position,were observed,and some were seen in the degenerated pericytes as well. Typical changes of the pericytes were accumulation of lipofuscin-like material and their degeneration...
- Thiamine and benfotiamine prevent apoptosis induced by high glucose-conditioned extracellular matrix in human retinal pericytesElena Beltramo
Laboratory of Diabetic Retinopathy, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Turin, Torino, Italy
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 25:647-56. 2009Early and selective loss of pericytes and thickening of the basement membrane are hallmarks of diabetic retinopathy...
- Lipoprotein receptor-related protein-1 mediates amyloid-beta-mediated cell death of cerebrovascular cellsMicha M M Wilhelmus
Department of Neurology and Alzheimer Center, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Pathol 171:1989-99. 2007..Expression of both the LRP-1 and LDLR by human brain pericytes and leptomeningeal smooth muscle cells, but not by astrocytes, increased on incubation with A beta...
- The role of pericytes in angiogenesisDomenico Ribatti
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, University of Bari Medical School, Bari, Italy
Int J Dev Biol 55:261-8. 2011b>Pericytes are branched cells embedded within the basement membrane of capillaries and post-capillary venules...
- Pathological neovascularization is reduced by inactivation of ADAM17 in endothelial cells but not in pericytesGisela Weskamp
Arthritis and Tissue Degeneration Program, Caspary Research Building, Room 426, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 E 70th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
Circ Res 106:932-40. 2010..These findings raised interesting questions about the role of ADAM17 in angiogenesis and neovascularization in vivo...
- Pericyte contraction induced by oxidative-nitrative stress impairs capillary reflow despite successful opening of an occluded cerebral arteryMuge Yemisci
Department of Neurology, Faculty of Medicine and Institute of Neurological Sciences and Psychiatry, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Nat Med 15:1031-7. 2009Here we show that ischemia induces sustained contraction of pericytes on microvessels in the intact mouse brain. Pericytes remain contracted despite successful reopening of the middle cerebral artery after 2 h of ischemia...
- Purification and long-term culture of multipotent progenitor cells affiliated with the walls of human blood vessels: myoendothelial cells and pericytesMihaela Crisan
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Methods Cell Biol 86:295-309. 2008..myoendothelial cells, found in skeletal muscle and coexpressing markers of endothelial and myogenic cells, and pericytes--aka mural cells--which surround endothelial cells in capillaries and microvessels...
- Sclerotomal origin of vascular smooth muscle cells and pericytes in the embryoC Pouget
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Bat C, 6ème étage, Case 24, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Dev Biol 315:437-47. 2008..2 degrees Like vSMC, aortic pericytes originate from the somite...
- Bone marrow subsets differentiate into endothelial cells and pericytes contributing to Ewing's tumor vesselsKrishna Reddy
Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Box 87, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cancer Res 6:929-36. 2008..Our data indicate that only specific BM stem/progenitor subpopulations participate in Ewing's sarcoma tumor vasculogenesis...
- Engineering robust and functional vascular networks in vivo with human adult and cord blood-derived progenitor cellsJuan M Melero-Martin
Vascular Biology Program and Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Circ Res 103:194-202. 2008..This rapid formation of long-lasting microvascular networks by postnatal progenitor cells obtained from noninvasive sources constitutes an important step forward in the development of clinical strategies for tissue vascularization...
- FGF2-dependent neovascularization of subcutaneous Matrigel plugs is initiated by bone marrow-derived pericytes and macrophagesUlrich Tigges
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, Cancer Research Center, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Development 135:523-32. 2008..Vessel-like networks are quickly formed in subcutaneous FGF2-supplemented Matrigel plugs by two cell types: NG2(+) pericytes and F4/80(+) macrophages...
- Visualization and contractile activity of cochlear pericytes in the capillaries of the spiral ligamentMin Dai
Oregon Hearing Research Center NRC04, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Hear Res 254:100-7. 2009b>Pericytes, mural cells located on microvessels, are considered to play an important role in the formation of the vasculature and the regulation of local blood flow in some organs...
- Paucity of pericytes in germinal matrix vasculature of premature infantsAlex Braun
Department of Pathology, New York Medical College, Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
J Neurosci 27:12012-24. 2007..It has rapid angiogenesis associated with high levels of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). Because pericytes provide structural stability to blood vessels, we asked whether pericytes were fewer in the GM than in the ..
- Cancer immunotherapy targeting the high molecular weight melanoma-associated antigen protein results in a broad antitumor response and reduction of pericytes in the tumor vasculaturePaulo Cesar Maciag
Department of Microbiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6076, USA
Cancer Res 68:8066-75. 2008..Besides its expression in a broad range of transformed cells, this antigen is also found in pericytes, which are important for tumor angiogenesis...
- Cytokine production in lipopolysaccharide-exposed rat lung pericytesDavid A Edelman
Department of Surgery, Wayne State University Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Trauma 62:89-93. 2007Vessels of the pulmonary microvasculature are composed of two cell types: endothelial cells and pericytes. Pericytes are crucial to the development of capillary leak and pulmonary edema seen in acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)...
- Regulation of the blood-brain barrier integrity by pericytes via matrix metalloproteinases mediated activation of vascular endothelial growth factor in vitroGokulan Thanabalasundaram
Institute of Biochemistry, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Munster, Germany
Brain Res 1347:1-10. 2010The blood-brain barrier consists of the cerebral microvascular endothelium, pericytes, astrocytes, and neurons...
- "Mesenchymal" stem cells in human bone marrow (skeletal stem cells): a critical discussion of their nature, identity, and significance in incurable skeletal diseasePaolo Bianco
Department of Molecular Medicine, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Hum Gene Ther 21:1057-66. 2010....
- PDGFRbeta+ perivascular progenitor cells in tumours regulate pericyte differentiation and vascular survivalSteven Song
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Nat Cell Biol 7:870-9. 2005The microvasculature consists of endothelial cells and their surrounding pericytes. Few studies on the regulatory mechanisms of tumour angiogenesis have focused on pericytes...
- An intimate interplay between precocious, migrating pericytes and endothelial cells governs human fetal brain angiogenesisDaniela Virgintino
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, University of Bari School of Medicine, Piazza Giulio Cesare, 11, Bari 70124, Italy
Angiogenesis 10:35-45. 2007..human brain, we have examined the spatial relationship and relative contributions of endothelial cells and pericytes, the two primary cell types involved in vessel growth, together with their relation with the vascular basement ..
- Perivascular cells expressing annexin A5 define a novel mesenchymal stem cell-like population with the capacity to differentiate into multiple mesenchymal lineagesBent Brachvogel
Department of Cell and Matrix Biology, MCRI, 3052 Parkville Victoria, Australia
Development 132:2657-68. 2005..Later, expression is highly restricted to perivascular cells in most blood vessels resembling pericytes or vascular smooth muscle cells...
- Regulation of mural cells during pulmonary capillary formationStephen E McGowan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Formation and expansion of the alveolar capillary network requires cooperation among endothelial cells, pericytes, and lung fibroblasts (LF)...
- Cyr61/CCN1-Induced Angiogenesis and Vasculogenesis in the RetinaBrahim Chaqour; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, when exposed to cultured retinal pericytes, which sheath and regulate the growth of retinal capillaries, Cyr61 induces their death by anoikis suggesting a ..
- Multimodal Retinal Functional Imaging for Diabetic RetinopathyHao F Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinical signs of DR are microaneurysms and dot intraretinal hemorrhages resulting from damage to the capillary pericytes and endothelial cells...
- Experimental engineering of ovarian grafting to promote angiogenesis for fertilitGLENN LEWIS SCHATTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..hydrogels into muscle for local, phased release of angiogenic factors to stimulate endothelial cells and pericytes with the goal of accelerating the formation of a stable microcirculation in murine grafts...
- Dietary Nitrate to Augment Exercise Training Benefits in DM+PADJason David Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..muscle for (a) angiogenesis (capillaries per unit area and per muscle fiber, endothelial cells with surrounding pericytes, relative fraction of type I, versus type II fibers)...
- The role of the Wnt/planar cell polarity pathway in pulmonary angiogenesisVinicio A de Jesus Perez; Fiscal Year: 2013..In a series of experiments using PAECs and pericytes obtained from the lungs of healthy donors and IPAH patients, we will demonstrate that Wnt/PCP signaling is ..
- Integrated Multidisciplinary Strategies for Detection of Diabetic RetinopathiesHao F Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two of the earliest histopathological lesions, diffuse thickening of the basement membrane and selective loss of pericytes, go undetected by routine fundus examinations...
- Vaccines to promote Tc-1-based targeting of tumor stromaWalter J Storkus; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, tumor vascular endothelial tubes and stabilizing perivascular pericytes are typically recruited into tumors as (mesenchymal or hematopoietic) precursors and induced to differentiate ..
- Cthrc1 function as a novel TGF-beta antagonist in the vasculatureVolkhard Lindner; Fiscal Year: 2013..to control gene expression specifically in the adventitial or medial compartment of blood vessels as well as in pericytes. Approximately 15% of heterozygous Cthrc1mice die during embryogenesis or within one week after birth as the ..
- NO-Zinc Signaling in Intact Pulmonary EndotheliumCLAUDETTE MARIE ST CROIX; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. pericytes) in their wall, the nature of contractile events within the microcirculation are likely to be distinct from ..
- Sphingosine 1-Phosphate: A New Target for Early Diabetic RetinopathyArup Das; Fiscal Year: 2013..In new and exciting findings, we have shown that pericytes can regulate the expression of N- cadherin in endothelial cells that is necessary for proper endothelial-..
- Adhesion Mechanisms Mediating Sickle Cell Vasooclusion In VivoPaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2013..by imaging calcium waves using GCaMP3 mice following direct neural stimulation of the genitofemoral nerve or pericytes by micropipette stimulation in collaboration with Dr. David Spray (Einstein)...
- Dysregulation of the Tumor Microenvironment in Hepatocellular CarcinomaLewis R Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cirrhosis is characterized by activation and proliferation of stellate cells/pericytes and consequent expansion of the extracellular matrix (ECM)...
- The role of cochlear pericytes in control of cochlear microcirculationXiao Rui Shi; Fiscal Year: 2009..A reduction of cochlear blood flow is involved in a number of hearing disorders. Pericytes, surrounding blood microvessels, play important roles for many organs in the regulation of microvessel blood ..
- Reactive astrogliosis regulates blood-brain barrier permeability.Gareth R John; Fiscal Year: 2013..Interestingly, establishment of the BBB is not intrinsic to BMVEC, and depends on astrocytes and pericytes. These cells are also strongly implicated in BBB disruption, but the underlying mechanisms are not well ..
- Age influences neuropoietic signaling at the neurovascular unit following strokeJason D Huber; Fiscal Year: 2012..BBB) is the functional element of the neurovascular unit, an extensive network comprised of endothelium, glia, pericytes, neurons, and extracellular matrix...
- Human iPS/ES Cell-Based Models for Predictive Neural Toxicity and TeratogenicityJAMES ALEXANDER THOMSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..microglia), migratory mesodermal angioblasts (endothelial cells), and neural crest (vascular smooth muscle and pericytes). Because of their diverse origins, these components have very different inductive signaling histories...
- Commercialization of iSONEP, a Humanized Monoclonal Antibody Against the BioactivROGER ALLEN SABBADINI; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, S1P stimulates migration, proliferation and survival of fibroblasts, endothelial cells, pericytes and inflammatory cells- the same cells that participate in the multiple maladaptive processes of exudative AMD...
- Regulation of endogenous antioxidant systems in diabetic retinopathyManuela Bartoli; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have designed experiments to be conducted in vitro on isolated retinal pericytes (RPC) and endothelial cells (REC) exposed to elevated glucose levels (HG) and osmotic controls...
- The control of retinal vascular development by Norrin and Frizzled4Jeremy Nathans; Fiscal Year: 2013..interactions between vascular endothelial cells (the cells that line the inner face of the blood vessels) and pericytes (cells that unsheathe and stabilize the endothelial cells), and between endothelial cells and astrocytes, which ..
- Angiopoietins in vascular and lymphatic remodeling of airways and lungDonald M McDonald; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Phase II, pericytes proliferate and reinforce the abnormal vascular phenotype that sustains leakage and leukocyte traffic...
- Role of PPARalpha in acute kidney injuryDidier Portilla; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim 3. To determine cellular mechanisms by which PPARalpha reduces renal fibrosis in mouse kidney pericytes. Our preliminary studies show that PPARalpha expression as well as expression of fatty acid oxidation genes are ..
- Investigation of autoimmune anti-retinal antibodies in diabetesJohn R Heckenlively; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies have demonstrated ARAs in patients with diabetes that may contribute to retinopathy-for example, loss of pericytes or retinal edema;however, whether ARAs plays a role in vision loss in these diseases is unclear...
- Bone Morphogenetic Protein Controls Links Between Dentinogenesis and AngiogenesisAudrey Rakian; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the intimate association of angiogenesis and dentinogenesis, with vascular-associated [unreadable]SMA+ cells/pericytes being the common factor linking these processes...
- Optimizing Therapeutic Revascularization by Endothelial Cell TransplantationW Mark Saltzman; Fiscal Year: 2013..to functionally mature vessels is enhanced when ECs are co-implanted with human aortic smooth muscle cells or pericytes (PCs)...
- Kidney pericytes in vascular regeneration after injuryJeremy S Duffield; Fiscal Year: 2010..In recently published studies, we have described pericytes as an integral component of peritubular capillaries...
- Mitochondrial Carbonic Anhydrases and Diabetic Blood-Brain Barrier Disruption GUL NASREEN SHAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Pericytes in particular are important in maintaining BBB function in the face of glycemic insult...
- Neurovascular Unit on a Chip: Chemical Communication, Drug and Toxin ResponsesJOHN PETER WIKSWO; Fiscal Year: 2013..unique regions by selecting specific combinations of neurons, endothelial cells, astrocytes, other neuroglia, pericytes and systemic leukocytes, 2) use cells and fluids derived from patients with known pathologies to assess drug ..
- Venous Malformations (VM): A Murine Model to Identify Therapies to Target AberranElisa Boscolo; Fiscal Year: 2013..TIE2 mutations in the perivascular cell differentiation, control of lumen size, and motility we will use bmMPC, pericytes or SMCs, in the murine VM model and in 3D collagen in vitro model;Aim 3- Perform pre-clinical studies to ..
- Vascular and Neuronal Repair with Adipose Stromal cells in RetinopathyRAJASHEKHAR GANGARAJU; Fiscal Year: 2013..by decreasing ischemia/inflammation-induced cell death and stabilizing the vasculature by forming perivascular pericytes. We propose to investigate our hypothesis through the following specific aims: Specific aim 1: To evaluate the ..
- Role of NG2 in diabetic nephropathyVesselina G Cooke; Fiscal Year: 2010..NG2, a cell surface chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan is a specific marker for pericytes and specifically expresses in mesangial cells of the human and mouse kidneys when compared to other cell types ..
- Cell-Cell Interactions In The Retinal VasculaturePATRICIA ANN D'AMORE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clinical and experimental observations indicate that interactions between endothelial cells and pericytes, the two cell types that form capillaries, are central to the health and function of the retinal vasculature...
- Perivascular macrophages endothelial interactions at the blood labyrinth barrierXiao Rui Shi; Fiscal Year: 2013..macrophage (PVMs) in the BLB, in addition to endothelial cells (ECs), basement membrane, and surrounding pericytes. The PVMs are in close contact with vessels through cytoplastic processes-end-feet-which contain a large number ..
- The Cellular Basis of Heterotopic OssificationDavid J Goldhamer; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be used to determine the contribution of endothelial cells, hematopoietic cells, vascular smooth muscle, pericytes and muscle SP stem cells to HO...
- The role of innervation for hormone secretion in human isletsALEJANDRO CAICEDO VIERKANT; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the proposed mechanism, autonomic nerve fibers strongly innervate contractile pericytes that work as sphincters to change blood flow locally, thus changing the efficiency of glucose sensing and of ..
- Thyroid hormone regulation of vasculature in adult myocardiumAnthony Martin Gerdes; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Pericytes, poorly understood but very common cells in adult heart, likely play a key role in the angiogenic process and ..
- Bone Marrow MSCs/Pericytes: Gatekeepers Controlling Skeletal Metastasis.Arnold I Caplan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Contrary to the established role of pericytes limiting cancer cell dissemination from the primary tumor, the role(s) of these stromal components at the target ..
- Brain Pericyte and Amyloid-beta Peptide InteractionDonghui Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pericytes are small cells located outside of brain microvessels between the endothelial cell layer and the parenchyma...
- Myogenic stem cells in extraocular musclesZipora Yablonka-Reuveni; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., pericytes), which may fuse directly with myofibers...
- Increased Plasma Nitrite, Tissue Oxygenation and Functional Changes in PADJason David Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..in gastrocenemius muscle (via biopsy) (a) angiogenesis and arteriogenesis (capillary density with surrounding pericytes, proliferating cell nuclear antigen, and apoptosis) and oxidative capacity (fiber type composition, citrate ..
- Adipose Stem Cells for Diabetic RetinopathySHAYN PEIRCE-COTTLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent evidence has shown that all of these events follow from the initial loss of pericytes on microvessels in the retina, which makes endothelial cells susceptible to diabetic conditions that result in ..
- MICROVASCULAR TRANSPORT IN THE RENAL MEDULLAThomas L Pallone; Fiscal Year: 2013..The cells that comprise the DVR wall (smooth muscle / pericytes and endothelia) regulate vasoactivity through the interactions of ion channels and signaling molecules...
- Vasculogenesis and hyperoxia in the developing retina.GERARD ANTHONY LUTTY; Fiscal Year: 2013..hypothesis is that cytokines cause differentiation of these retinal angioblasts into endothelial cells (EC) and pericytes and regulate their assembly via vasculogenesis to form the superficial retinal vasculature...
- Role of the kidneys in hypertension: paracrine actions of NO in the renal medullaMARIA MARCELA HERRERA; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the renal medulla, NO dilates the vasa recta pericytes to increase medullary blood flow...
- Fibrovascular coupling in the cochlea and pericyte recruitment after noiseXiao Rui Shi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our early findings suggest that pericytes play roles in controlling regional CBF through contractile activity and remodeling the vasculature after trauma-..
- Defining a myofibroblast/pericyte as a mesenchymal progenitor cellIvo Kalajzic; Fiscal Year: 2013..To define a population of myofibroblasts/pericytes we will utilize previously developed transgenic mice in which pericytes are identified by SMA promoter-GFP ..
- VASOMOTOR CONTROL OF DESCENDING VASA RECTAThomas L Pallone; Fiscal Year: 2013..Through contraction of abluminal smooth muscle / pericytes, DVR regulate medullary perfusion...
- Nanotracer Development to Track Stem Cell TherapyLaura J Suggs; Fiscal Year: 2013..in a hydrogel matrix express genotypic, phenotypic and morphologic characteristics of endothelial cells and pericytes in the absence of additional cytokines...
- Notch3 signaling in the pathogenesis of hemangiomaJUNE KAR MING WU; Fiscal Year: 2013..2008). Other cell types are also known to be present in hemangiomas, including pericytes, which have never been isolated from a hemangioma(Boscolo and Bischoff 2009) but may arise from HemSC as well...
- Neuro - Molecular Imaging of Delivery Across BBBWellington Pham; Fiscal Year: 2010..to the central nervous system (CNS) across the tight microvascular network of brain capillaries, associated with pericytes, and astrocyte foot processes, the blood brain barrier (BBB)...
- Presentation of Alloantigen by Human Vascular CellsJordan S Pober; Fiscal Year: 2013..The effects of the second population of cells in the walls of microvessels, namely pericytes (PC), will also be examined as preliminary data suggest that these cells, like EC, may present alloantigen to ..
- Preclinical Testing of Targeted Therapies for NeurofibromasDAVID W CLAPP; Fiscal Year: 2011..are composed of Schwann cells, endothelial cells, fibroblasts, degranulating, inflammatory mast cells, and pericytes/vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs)...
- The molecular mechanisms of fibrosisMARIA TROJANOWSKA TROJANOWSKA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Fli-1 is also prominently expressed in endothelial cells (ECs) and pericytes in healthy skin, whereas it is significantly reduced in SSc vessels even in the early stages of the disease...
- Spatiotemporal Delivery of miRNA Anatgomir for Promoting Vascular Self-AssemblyW Mark Saltzman; Fiscal Year: 2012..in grafts containing only EC requires recruitment of host mural cells, such as vascular smooth muscle cells or pericytes (PCs). The maturation of vessels is accelerated and enhanced when ECs are co-implanted with human PCs...
- Definition of follicular stromal cell subset interactions with B cellsAnn M Haberman; Fiscal Year: 2013..dendritic cell (FDC), B cell folicles also harbor lymph and blood endothelial cells, the later covered by pericytes. Fibroblastic reticular cells rim the inside edge of the border of the follicle closest to the T cell zone, ..
- Targeting Pericytes in CancerRaghu Kalluri; Fiscal Year: 2013..activity of different cell types populating the tumor stroma, such as endothelial cells, fibroblasts, pericytes, and infiltrating inflammatory cells...
- The role of pericytes in the adult and the aging brainBerislav V Zlokovic; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pericytes are essential cells of the neurovascular unit. They are embedded within the vascular membrane of brain capillaries making direct focal contacts with the endothelium...
- A novel bA3/A1-crystallin gene mutation results in persistent fetal vasculatureDebasish Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2013..secretion by astrocytes and thereby contributes to vessel stabilization;(2) to investigate the possible role of pericytes in this abnormal retention of the hyaloid artery during development;and (3) to analyze the structural integrity ..
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms of heterotopic ossificationPaul B Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013..caALK2 in compartments with known osteogenic potential, including skeletal muscle satellite cells, vascular pericytes, as well as bone-marrow derived lineages...
- A Small Molecule Targeting Wnt Pathway for Treatment of Diabetic RetinopathyDanyang Chen; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, it did not significantly inhibit the growth of primary pericytes and fibroblasts...
- Pericyte-endothelial cross talk in vascular stability after kidney injurySTUART JAMES SHANKLAND; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pericytes, mural cells of the kidney peritubular capillaries, have been neglected until recently, and their function in kidney development, homeostasis, pathology and regeneration is only starting to ..
- Overcoming Barriers to Bioengineering 3-D Human LungDoris A Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since vessels are stabilized by pericytes that are of MSC origin, we will use human BM-derived MSCs to study if they can potentiate the attachment of ECs...
- Induction of the blood-retinal barrierDAVID ANTONETTI; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the vascular component of the blood-retinal barrier occurs through endothelial interaction with glia and pericytes in vivo and may be induced pharmacologically with glucocorticoids...
- ENDOTHELIAL CELL AUTOIMMUNITY IN DIABETIC RETINOPATHYRamesh Nayak; Fiscal Year: 2001..The principal investigator has found that a subpopulation of diabetics have autoantibodies to capillary pericytes and others have found autoantibodies to endothelial cells indicating a role for immune mechanisms in diabetic ..
- RETINAL MICROVESSELS BASIS FOR INJURY IN DIABETESGary Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 1990..When exposed to high concentrations of glucose in tissue culture, retinal pericytes and endothelial cell ssynthesize sorbitol...
- Enhanced Drug Delivery to Metastatic Brain TumorsKeith Black; Fiscal Year: 2006unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Brain capillary endothelium and its contiguous cells, pericytes and astrocytes, are the structural and functional components of the blood-brain barrier (BBB)...
- Analysis of the Novel Kinase ROR2: A New Molecular Target in Renal Cell CarcinomaTricia M Wright; Fiscal Year: 2010..PDGFR and VEGFR are found on tumor associating pericytes and endothelial cells respectively, but not on the tumor cells themselves, with inhibition of these receptors ..
- RETINAL CELLS: TISSUE CULTURE AND CELL BIOLOGYRobert Frank; Fiscal Year: 1993..evaluation of factors restrain proliferation and enhance differentiation of cultured retinal cells, including pericytes and endothelial cells of the retinal microvessels, the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE), and retinal glia...
- DEVELOPING VISION--THE MECHANISM OF TISSUE REMODELINGRichard Lang; Fiscal Year: 2003..required for capillary regression, (2) that macrophages induce programmed cell death in endothelial cells and pericytes to drive capillary regression, and (3) that endothelial cells and pericytes die as a consequence of a macrophage ..
- Functional role of Angiopoietin-2 in diabetic heartJian xiong Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ang-1 has been shown to play a critical role in regulating endothelial cell survival and pericytes recruitment, whereas Ang-2 has been identified as a vessel-destabilizing agent that plays a predominant role in ..
- Sphingomab Mitigates the Multiple Pathologies of Age-Related Macular DegenerationAmy Cavalli; Fiscal Year: 2007..S1P also stimulates migration, proliferation and survival of multiple cell types, including fibroblasts, pericytes, endothelial and inflammatory cells-the same cells that participate in the multiple maladaptive processes of ..
- Alcohol abuse and blood-brain barrier dysfunction: Underlying mechanismsJames Haorah; Fiscal Year: 2009..The BBB formed by brain microvascular endothelial cells (BMVEC), pericytes and astrocytes connect the BMVEC assuring BBB structural tightness...
- PATHWAY(S) OF LEUKOCYTE EXTRAVASATION IN INFLAMMATIONAnn Dvorak; Fiscal Year: 2001..rolling, adhesion and, finally, transmigration across endothelial cells (EC), the underlying basal lamina and pericytes. In recent years, much has been learned about the molecular events responsible for leukocyte attachment to ..
- The Angiopoietins in Vascular Maintenance and RemodelingChristopher Kontos; Fiscal Year: 2005..of vascular morphogenesis characterized by deficient recruitment of supporting smooth muscle cells and pericytes. Moreover, Ang1 promotes endothelial cell survival and blocks the increases in vascular permeability induced by ..