Genomes and Genes
Summary: Supporting cells for the developing female gamete in the OVARY. They are derived from the coelomic epithelial cells of the gonadal ridge. Granulosa cells form a single layer around the OOCYTE in the primordial ovarian follicle and advance to form a multilayered cumulus oophorus surrounding the OVUM in the Graafian follicle. The major functions of granulosa cells include the production of steroids and LH receptors (RECEPTORS, LH).
Publications394 found, 100 shown here
- Lipopolysaccharide initiates inflammation in bovine granulosa cells via the TLR4 pathway and perturbs oocyte meiotic progression in vitroJohn J Bromfield
Institute of Life Science, School of Medicine, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 152:5029-40. 2011..that lipopolysaccharide (LPS) from Gram-negative bacteria stimulates an inflammatory response by ovarian granulosa cells that is mediated by Toll-like receptor (TLR) 4...
- Follicular growth and atresia in mammalian ovaries: regulation by survival and death of granulosa cellsFuko Matsuda
Laboratory of Animal Production Science, Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
J Reprod Dev 58:44-50. 2012..b>Granulosa cells in particular have been demonstrated to play a major role in deciding the fate of follicles, serving ..
- Follicle-stimulating hormone regulation of microRNA expression on progesterone production in cultured rat granulosa cellsNan Yao
Graduate School of Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Endocrine 38:158-66. 2010..Here we show that expression of 31 miRNAs is altered during FSH-mediated progesterone secretion of cultured granulosa cells. Specifically, 12 h after FSH treatment, miRNAs mir-29a and mir-30d were significantly down-regulated...
- Marine compounds selectively induce apoptosis in female reproductive cancer cells but not in primary-derived human reproductive granulosa cellsVicki Edwards
Department of Medical Biotechnology, School of Medicine, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide, S A 5001, Australia
Mar Drugs 10:64-83. 2012..and 6-bromoisatin from Dicathais orbita were tested against physiologically normal primary human granulosa cells (HGC) and reproductive cancer cell lines...
- The murine winged-helix transcription factor Foxl2 is required for granulosa cell differentiation and ovary maintenanceDirk Schmidt
Developmental Biology Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Development 131:933-42. 2004..In Foxl2(lacZ) homozygous mutant ovaries granulosa cells do not complete the squamous to cuboidal transition leading to the absence of secondary follicles and oocyte ..
- Hormonal regulation of MicroRNA expression in periovulatory mouse mural granulosa cellsStephanie D Fiedler
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Biol Reprod 79:1030-7. 2008..The extent and hormonal regulation of miRNA expression by ovarian granulosa cells and their role in ovulation and luteinization is unknown...
- MicroRNA 21 blocks apoptosis in mouse periovulatory granulosa cellsMartha Z Carletti
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Biol Reprod 83:286-95. 2010..Transition of proliferative ovarian granulosa cells to terminally differentiated luteal cells in response to the ovulatory surge of luteinizing hormone (LH) ..
- Intercellular communication in the mammalian ovary: oocytes carry the conversationMartin M Matzuk
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, 1 Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Science 296:2178-80. 2002..The challenge for the future is to identify the factors that participate in this communication and their mechanisms of action...
- Saturated FFAs, palmitic acid and stearic acid, induce apoptosis in human granulosa cellsY M Mu
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka 812-8582, Japan
Endocrinology 142:3590-7. 2001..A Western blot analysis showed the apoptosis of the granulosa cells induced by palmitic acid to be accompanied by the down-regulation of an apoptosis inhibitor, Bcl-2, and the ..
- Formation of the ovarian follicular antrum and follicular fluidRaymond J Rodgers
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Robinson Institute, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Biol Reprod 82:1021-9. 2010..The central hypothesis on follicular fluid formation suggests that production by granulosa cells of hyaluronan and the chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan versican generates an osmotic gradient...
- Evidence that Sry is expressed in pre-Sertoli cells and Sertoli and granulosa cells have a common precursorK H Albrecht
The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Dev Biol 240:92-107. 2001..and is hypothesized to do so by directing supporting cell precursors to develop as Sertoli cells and not as granulosa cells. To directly test this hypothesis, transgenic mice expressing EGFP under the control of the Sry promoter were ..
- A molecular mechanism underlying ovarian dysfunction of polycystic ovary syndrome: hyperandrogenism induces epigenetic alterations in the granulosa cellsFan Qu
Department of Reproductive Endocrinology, Women s Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, 1 Xueshi Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310006, China
J Mol Med (Berl) 90:911-23. 2012..receptor gamma 1 (PPARG1), nuclear corepressor 1 (NCOR1), and histone deacetylase 3 (HDAC3) genes in granulosa cells (GCs) of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) women and whether these alterations are involved in the ovarian ..
- Distinct regulation by steroids of messenger RNAs for FSHR and CYP19A1 in bovine granulosa cellsWenxiang Luo
Endocrinology Reproductive Physiology Program and Department of Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Biol Reprod 75:217-25. 2006Steroidal regulation of gene expression in follicular cells is not completely defined. Granulosa cells from 5 mm bovine follicles were cultured and treated and steady-state mRNA levels determined for FSHR (follicle-stimulating hormone ..
- Expression of anti-Müllerian hormone during normal and pathological gonadal development: association with differentiation of Sertoli and granulosa cellsE Rajpert-De Meyts
Department of Growth and Reproduction, Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3836-44. 1999..AMH expression was found only in Sertoli and granulosa cells. A 6-week-old fetal testis at the indifferent gonad stage did not yet express AMH...
- Transactivation of microRNA-383 by steroidogenic factor-1 promotes estradiol release from mouse ovarian granulosa cells by targeting RBMS1Mianmian Yin
School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230026, People s Republic of China
Mol Endocrinol 26:1129-43. 2012..shown that microRNA-383 (miR-383) is one of the most down-regulated miRNA in TGF-β1-treated mouse ovarian granulosa cells (GC)...
- Detection of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and its receptor in human follicular luteinized granulosa cellsAli Salmassi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Kiel, Michaelisstrasse 16, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Fertil Steril 81:786-91. 2004To evaluate concentration of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) in serum and follicular fluid (FF) at the time of oocyte retrieval and to detect expression of G-CSF and its receptor by luteinized granulosa cells (GCs).
- Eight-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine in granulosa cells is correlated with the quality of oocytes and embryos in an in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer programTomofumi Seino
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Yamagata, Japan
Fertil Steril 77:1184-90. 2002To determine the effects of oxidative stress on the quality of oocytes and embryos, 8-hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) in granulosa cells was quantitatively studied during an in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer (IVF-ET) program.
- Changes in expression of bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), their receptors and inhibin co-receptor betaglycan during bovine antral follicle development: inhibin can antagonize the suppressive effect of BMPs on thecal androgen productionClaire Glister
School of Biological Sciences, Hopkins Building, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6UB, UK
Reproduction 140:699-712. 2010....
- Human cumulus granulosa cell gene expression: a predictor of fertilization and embryo selection in women undergoing IVFL J McKenzie
Department of Obstetrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Reprod 19:2869-74. 2004....
- Notch signaling is involved in ovarian follicle development by regulating granulosa cell proliferationChun Ping Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
Endocrinology 152:2437-47. 2011..that the cultured follicles completely stopped developing after L-658,458 and DAPT treatment, most of the granulosa cells were detached, and the oocytes were also degenerated with condensed cytoplasma...
- Highly prolific Booroola sheep have a mutation in the intracellular kinase domain of bone morphogenetic protein IB receptor (ALK-6) that is expressed in both oocytes and granulosa cellsT Wilson
AgResearch Molecular Biology Unit, Department of Biochemistry, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Biol Reprod 64:1225-35. 2001..The mutation in BMPR-IB found in Booroola sheep is the second reported defect in a gene from the TGF-beta pathway affecting fertility in sheep following the recent discovery of mutations in the growth factor, GDF9b/BMP15...
- In human granulosa cells from small antral follicles, androgen receptor mRNA and androgen levels in follicular fluid correlate with FSH receptor mRNAM E Nielsen
The Fertility Clinic, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Mol Hum Reprod 17:63-70. 2011..From the individual aspirated follicles, granulosa cells and the corresponding follicular fluid were isolated in 64 follicles, of which 55 were available for mRNA ..
- Impairing follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) signaling in vivo: targeted disruption of the FSH receptor leads to aberrant gametogenesis and hormonal imbalanceA Dierich
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 163, 67404 Illkirch, Strasbourg, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:13612-7. 1998..FSH receptors (FSH-Rs) are localized to testicular Sertoli cells and ovarian granulosa cells and are coupled to activation of the adenylyl cyclase and other signaling pathways...
- Metformin has direct effects on human ovarian steroidogenesisRebecca Mansfield
St George s Hospital Medical School, Tooting, London, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 79:956-62. 2003..To investigate the possibility of direct effects of metformin on ovarian steroidogenesis...
- The proximal promoter region of the zebrafish gsdf gene is sufficient to mimic the spatio-temporal expression pattern of the endogenous gene in Sertoli and granulosa cellsAude Gautier
INRA, UR1037 SCRIBE, Testicular Physiology and Puberty Research Team, IFR140, Ouest BioGenOuest, Rennes, France
Biol Reprod 85:1240-51. 2011..Gene expression is maintained in adult granulosa cells and Sertoli cells but decreases in the cells that are in contact with meiotic and postmeiotic germ cells...
- Impaired follicle development and infertility in female mice lacking steroidogenic factor 1 in ovarian granulosa cellsCarla Pelusi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8857, USA
Biol Reprod 79:1074-83. 2008..Herein, we have extended our analyses of knockout (KO) mice with markedly decreased SF-1 expression in granulosa cells. As described, these SF-1 KO mice had hypoplastic ovaries that contained a decreased number of follicles and ..
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma mediates bisphenol A inhibition of FSH-stimulated IGF-1, aromatase, and estradiol in human granulosa cellsJakub Kwintkiewicz
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:400-6. 2010..Bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical used as a plasticizer, is a potent endocrine disruptor that, even in low concentrations, disturbs normal development and functions of reproductive organs in different species...
- Dynamics of the membrana granulosa during expansion of the ovarian follicular antrumR J Rodgers
Department of Medicine, Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park, SA 5042, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 171:41-8. 2001..Here, we focus on the granulosa cells of ovarian follicles which express 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and cytochrome P450 aromatase...
- Expression of LRH-1 and SF-1 in the mouse ovary: localization in different cell types correlates with differing functionMargaret M Hinshelwood
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX, 75390 9038, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 207:39-45. 2003..LRH-1 expression was found to be abundant and highly restricted to cells involved in estrogen biosynthesis-granulosa cells during the estrous cycle, and in corpora lutea (CL) of pregnancy...
- Human ovarian follicular development: from activation of resting follicles to preovulatory maturationA Gougeon
INSERM U865, Anipath, Faculte de Medecine Laennec, 7, Rue Guillaume Paradin, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 71:132-43. 2010..by subtle interactions between follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and local factors produced by theca and granulosa cells (GCs), as well as the oocyte...
- T-2 toxin induces apoptosis in ovarian granulosa cells of rats through reactive oxygen species-mediated mitochondrial pathwayJing Wu
Evaluation and Research Center for Toxicology, Institute of Disease Control and Prevention, Academy of Military Medical Sciences, 20 Dongdajie Street, Fengtai District, Beijing 100071, PR China
Toxicol Lett 202:168-77. 2011..To investigate the reproductive toxicity and cytotoxicity of T-2 toxin, which is a mycotoxin, and to explore its potential apoptotic induction mechanism...
- Opposing effects of glutathione depletion and follicle-stimulating hormone on reactive oxygen species and apoptosis in cultured preovulatory rat folliclesMiyun Tsai-Turton
Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, University of California Irvine, 5201 California Avenue, Suite 100, Irvine, California 92617, USA
Endocrinology 147:1224-36. 2006..BSO suppressed GSH to undetectable levels. Treatment with FSH prevented apoptosis in granulosa cells, measured by terminal dUTP transferase-mediated nick-end-labeling and activated caspase 3 ..
- GnRH antagonist cetrorelix inhibits mitochondria-dependent apoptosis triggered by chemotherapy in granulosa cells of ratsXue jing Zhao
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Xi Jing Hospital, 4th Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi 710033, PR China
Gynecol Oncol 118:69-75. 2010..this study were to examine the role of the cetrorelix for prevention of mitochondria-dependent apoptosis in granulosa cells of rats during the treatment with cyclophosphamide(Cy), if the mitochondria-dependent apoptotic process was ..
- Role of transforming growth factor-beta1 in gene expression and activity of estradiol and progesterone-generating enzymes in FSH-stimulated bovine granulosa cellsXiaofeng Zheng
Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Centre de Recherche en Reproduction Animale CRRA, Universite de Montreal, St Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada
Reproduction 136:447-57. 2008..in the regulation of estradiol-17beta (E(2)) and progesterone (P(4)) secretion in FSH-stimulated bovine granulosa cells. Granulosa cells were obtained from 2 to 5 mm follicles and cultured in serum-free medium...
- Influence of lysophosphatidic acid on estradiol production and follicle stimulating hormone action in bovine granulosa cellsDorota Boruszewska
Department of Reproductive Immunology and Pathology, Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research, Polish Academy of Sciences, Olsztyn, Poland
Reprod Biol 13:344-7. 2013..acid (LPA) on 17β-estradiol (E2) synthesis and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) action in bovine granulosa cells. We found that granulosa cells in the bovine antral follicle, in addition to the uterus and the CL, are also ..
- Expression of IGF-II mRNA-binding proteins (IMPs) in gonads and testicular cancerNiels A Hammer
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Reproduction 130:203-12. 2005..mature mouse and human ovaries, IMP1, IMP2 and IMP3 were detected in resting and growing oocytes and in the granulosa cells. In testis, IMP1 and IMP3 were found mainly in the spermatogonia, whereas IMP2 was expressed in the immature ..
- Cellular basis for paracrine regulation of ovarian follicle developmentD F Albertini
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Reproduction 121:647-53. 2001..have been identified that appear to exert important effects on the growth and differentiation of oocytes and granulosa cells. This article summarizes evidence to support a model for bi-directional paracrine communication that is based ..
- Morphological classification of bovine ovarian folliclesR J Rodgers
The Robinson Institute, Research Centre for Reproductive Health, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
Reproduction 139:309-18. 2010..primordial follicles have the classical primordial shape, but ellipsoidal shaped follicles with some cuboidal granulosa cells at the poles are far more common...
- Mouse oocyte control of granulosa cell development and function: paracrine regulation of cumulus cell metabolismYou Qiang Su
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Semin Reprod Med 27:32-42. 2009Bidirectional communication between oocytes and the companion granulosa cells is essential for the development and functions of both compartments...
- Concentration of activin A and follistatin in follicular fluid from human small antral follicles associated to gene expression of the corresponding granulosa cellsJ V Jeppesen
Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, The Juliane Marie Centre for Women, Children, and Reproduction Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen University, Denmark
Mol Cell Endocrinol 356:48-54. 2012..FSHR), LH-receptor (LHR), AMH-receptor2 (AMHR2), CYP19a, and androgen-receptor (AR) in the corresponding granulosa cells (GC)...
- Transcriptome profiling of sheep granulosa cells and oocytes during early follicular development obtained by laser capture microdissectionAgnes Bonnet
INRA, UMR444 Génétique Cellulaire, Auzeville, Castanet Tolosan, France
BMC Genomics 12:417. 2011..regulated by cell-cell interactions and by the coordinated expression of genes in both the oocyte and in granulosa cells. Despite many studies, little is known about the cell-specific gene expression driving early folliculogenesis...
- Research resource: small RNA-seq of human granulosa cells reveals miRNAs in FSHR and aromatase genesAgne Velthut-Meikas
Competence Centre on Reproductive Medicine and Biology, Tiigi 61b, 50410 Tartu, Estonia
Mol Endocrinol 27:1128-41. 2013The granulosa cells in the mammalian ovarian follicle respond to gonadotropin signaling and are involved in the processes of folliculogenesis and oocyte maturation...
- Glycomic analyses of ovarian follicles during development and atresiaNicholas Hatzirodos
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide, SA, 5005, Australia
Matrix Biol 31:45-56. 2012..development and atresia, the specialized stromal theca layers were separated from the stratified epithelial granulosa cells of healthy (n=6) and atretic (n=6) follicles in each of three size ranges: small (3-5mm), medium (6-9mm) and ..
- Follicle-stimulating hormone regulation of estradiol production: possible involvement of WNT2 and β-catenin in bovine granulosa cellsB I Castañon
Department of Animal Science, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
J Anim Sci 90:3789-97. 2012..tumor virus integration site (WNT)/CTNNB1 pathway components in bovine folliculogenesis and steroidogenesis, granulosa cells and follicular fluid were collected from large antral follicles (8 to 22 mm) from ovaries containing stage-..
- Functional oxytocin receptors in bovine granulosa cellsK Okuda
Division of Animal Science and Technology, Faculty of Agriculture, Okayama University, Japan
Biol Reprod 56:625-31. 1997The aim of this study was to identify the presence of functional oxytocin (OT) receptors on bovine granulosa cells. Freshly prepared bovine granulosa cells from small (3-5 mm in diameter) or preovulatory (mature) follicles were examined ..
- The role for runt related transcription factor 2 (RUNX2) as a transcriptional repressor in luteinizing granulosa cellsEun Sil Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chandler Medical Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 362:165-75. 2012..role of RUNX2 transcription factor in regulating the expression of Runx1, Ptgs2, and Tnfaip6 using cultured granulosa cells isolated from PMSG-primed immature rats...
- Effect of apoptosis and reactive oxygen species production in human granulosa cells on oocyte fertilization and blastocyst developmentNina Jancar
Reproductive Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Slajmerjeva 3, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Assist Reprod Genet 24:91-7. 2007..The aim was to establish the impact of human granulosa cell apoptosis and reactive oxygen species (ROS) production on fertilization competence of the oocyte, embryo developmental stage and implantation rate...
- CCAAT/enhancer-binding proteins (C/EBP)-α and -β are essential for ovulation, luteinization, and the expression of key target genesHeng Yu Fan
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:253-68. 2011..Thus, C/EBPα/β mediate the terminal differentiation of GCs during the complex process of luteinization...
- Anti-Müllerian hormone expression pattern in the human ovary: potential implications for initial and cyclic follicle recruitmentChristien Weenen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Erasmus MC, The Netherlands
Mol Hum Reprod 10:77-83. 2004..observed in primordial follicles, whereas 74% of the primary follicles showed at least a weak signal in the granulosa cells. The highest level of AMH expression was present in the granulosa cells of secondary, preantral and small ..
- Doxorubicin-induced apoptosis in germinal vesicle (GV) oocytesHadas Bar-Joseph
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reprod Toxicol 30:566-72. 2010..We demonstrated that DXR crosses the blood-follicle barrier and accumulates in oocytes and granulosa cells. The mechanism of DXR-induced apoptosis involves chromosomal disintegration, activation of the mitochondria ..
- Oocyte-derived BMP15 and FGFs cooperate to promote glycolysis in cumulus cellsKoji Sugiura
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Development 134:2593-603. 2007..Therefore, oocyte-derived BMP15 and FGFs cooperate to promote glycolysis in cumulus cells...
- Nodal signalling and apoptosisHongmei Wang
State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Reproduction 133:847-53. 2007..Studies of Nodal in adult tissues indicate that it is pro-apoptotic in rat ovarian granulosa cells, human trophoblast cells and human ovarian epithelial cancer cells and is growth inhibitory in the latter two ..
- The imitation switch protein SNF2L regulates steroidogenic acute regulatory protein expression during terminal differentiation of ovarian granulosa cellsMaribeth A Lazzaro
Molecular Medicine Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8L6
Mol Endocrinol 20:2406-17. 2006..that promotes ovulation and development of the corpus luteum through terminal differentiation of granulosa cells. The pronounced expression of the mammalian imitation switch (ISWI) genes, SNF2H and SNF2L, in adult ovaries ..
- Prohibitin (PHB) acts as a potent survival factor against ceramide induced apoptosis in rat granulosa cellsIndrajit Chowdhury
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Life Sci 89:295-303. 2011..Our previous studies have shown that Prohibitin (PHB) is intimately involved in GCs differentiation, atresia, and luteolysis...
- RUNX2 transcription factor regulates gene expression in luteinizing granulosa cells of rat ovariesEun Sil Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chandler Medical Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
Mol Endocrinol 24:846-58. 2010..Runx2 expression was induced in periovulatory granulosa cells of human and rodent ovaries...
- Follicle-stimulating hormone activation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 by the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/AKT/Ras homolog enriched in brain (Rheb)/mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) pathway is necessary for induction of select protein markers of follicHena Alam
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 279:19431-40. 2004..These results show that FSH enhances HIF-1 activity downstream of the PI 3-kinase/AKT/Rheb/mTOR pathway in GCs and that HIF-1 activity is necessary for FSH to induce multiple follicular differentiation markers...
- Gonadotropin stimulation of ovarian fractalkine expression and fractalkine augmentation of progesterone biosynthesis by luteinizing granulosa cellsPing Zhao
Key Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, People s Republic of China
Endocrinology 149:2782-9. 2008..induction of fractalkine transcripts in different ovarian compartments, with the highest increases found in granulosa cells. In cultured granulosa cells, treatment with fractalkine augmented hCG stimulation of progesterone but not ..
- Production of cloned calves following nuclear transfer with cultured adult mural granulosa cellsD N Wells
AgResearch, Ruakura Research Centre, PB 3123, Hamilton, New Zealand
Biol Reprod 60:996-1005. 1999Adult somatic cell nuclear transfer was used to determine the totipotent potential of cultured mural granulosa cells, obtained from a Friesian dairy cow of high genetic merit...
- Gap junctions and ovarian folliculogenesisGerald M Kidder
Department of Physiology, The University of Western Ontario, London, N6A 5C1, Canada
Reproduction 123:613-20. 2002..Connexin37 appears to be the only connexin contributed by oocytes to the gap junctions coupling them with granulosa cells, and loss of this connexin interferes with the development of antral follicles...
- Hormone-induced proliferation and differentiation of granulosa cells: a coordinated balance of the cell cycle regulators cyclin D2 and p27Kip1R L Robker
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 12:924-40. 1998The proliferation and terminal differentiation of granulosa cells are critical for normal follicular growth, ovulation, and luteinization...
- Melatonin and the ovary: physiological and pathophysiological implicationsHiroshi Tamura
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Fertil Steril 92:328-43. 2009..To summarize the role of melatonin in the physiology and pathophysiology of the ovary...
- FSH signaling pathways in immature granulosa cells that regulate target gene expression: branching out from protein kinase AMary Hunzicker-Dunn
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Cell Signal 18:1351-9. 2006..FSH accomplishes these actions by inducing a complex pattern of gene expression in target granulosa cells that is regulated by input from many different signaling cascades, including those for the extracellular ..
- Induction of cyclin D2 in rat granulosa cells requires FSH-dependent relief from FOXO1 repression coupled with positive signals from SmadYoungkyu Park
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 280:9135-48. 2005..growth in response to follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), largely as a result of the proliferation of granulosa cells (GCs)...
- Hypergonadotropic ovarian failure associated with an inherited mutation of human bone morphogenetic protein-15 (BMP15) geneElisa Di Pasquale
Institute of Endocrine Sciences, University of Milan, and Istituto Auxologico Italiano IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 75:106-11. 2004..BMP15 defects are involved in the pathogenesis of hypergonadotropic ovarian failure in humans...
- A negative feedback system between oocyte bone morphogenetic protein 15 and granulosa cell kit ligand: its role in regulating granulosa cell mitosisFumio Otsuka
Department of Reproductive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0633, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:8060-5. 2002..We hypothesize that the negative feedback system most likely plays a pivotal role in early folliculogenesis...
- The regulation of ovarian granulosa cell death by pro- and anti-apoptotic moleculesFuko Matsuda-Minehata
Research Unit for Animal Life Sciences, Animal Resource Science Center, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Ibaraki Kasama, Japan
J Reprod Dev 52:695-705. 2006..Recent studies suggest that the apoptosis of ovarian granulosa cells plays a major role in follicular atresia...
- Targeted disruption of Pten in ovarian granulosa cells enhances ovulation and extends the life span of luteal cellsHeng Yu Fan
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 22:2128-40. 2008..To selectively disrupt Pten expression in granulosa cells, Ptenfl/fl mice were mated with transgenic mice expressing cAMP response element recombinase driven by Cyp19 ..
- Liver receptor homolog 1 is essential for ovulationRajesha Duggavathi
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP, 67404 Illkirch, France
Genes Dev 22:1871-6. 2008..Using somatic targeted mutagenesis, we show that mice lacking Lrh1 in granulosa cells are sterile, due to anovulation...
- Effects of metformin on bovine granulosa cells steroidogenesis: possible involvement of adenosine 5' monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK)Lucie Tosca
Unite de Physiologie de la Reproduction et des Comportements, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 37380 Nouzilly, France
Biol Reprod 76:368-78. 2007..In granulosa cells from small follicles, metformin (10 mM) reduced production of both progesterone and estradiol and decreased ..
- Luteinizing hormone receptor, steroidogenesis acute regulatory protein, and steroidogenic enzyme messenger ribonucleic acids are overexpressed in thecal and granulosa cells from polycystic ovariesA J Jakimiuk
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, CSMC Burns and Allen Research Institute, University of California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90048 0750, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1318-23. 2001..acids (mRNAs) may be overexpressed in thecal cells, and LH receptors may be prematurely expressed in granulosa cells in women with polycystic ovaries...
- Regulation of ovarian function: the role of anti-Müllerian hormoneAlexandra L L Durlinger
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reproduction 124:601-9. 2002....
- Loss of GATA-6 and GATA-4 in granulosa cells blocks folliculogenesis, ovulation, and follicle stimulating hormone receptor expression leading to female infertilityJill Bennett
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Endocrinology 153:2474-85. 2012..Most prominently, FSH receptor (FSHR) protein was undetectable in granulosa cells of G4(gcko) and G4/6(gcko)...
- Progesterone receptor membrane component-1 (PGRMC1) is the mediator of progesterone's antiapoptotic action in spontaneously immortalized granulosa cells as revealed by PGRMC1 small interfering ribonucleic acid treatment and functional analysis of PGRMC1 mJohn J Peluso
Department of Cell Biology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Endocrinology 149:534-43. 2008..Additional studies are required to more precisely delineate the role of each PGRMC1 domain in transducing P4's antiapoptotic action...
- Expression of hyaluronan synthases and corresponding hyaluronan receptors is differentially regulated during oocyte maturation in cattleMartin Schoenfelder
Institute of Physiology, Technical University of Munich, D 85354 Freising, Germany
Biol Reprod 69:269-77. 2003..determined the histological localization of HA and its receptor, CD44, in maturing bovine COCs and cultured granulosa cells (GCs). Full-length transcript of bovine HAS2 and a part of the bovine RHAMM sequence has been made available...
- Immunohistochemical visualization of insulin receptors in formalin-fixed bovine ovaries post mortem and in granulosa cells collected in vivoP Bossaert
Department of Reproduction, Obstetrics and Herd Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Theriogenology 73:1210-9. 2010..Furthermore, we have developed a quantifiable staining technique for bovine follicles that may be applicable for GC obtained in live cows, although this method requires further standardization...
- Altered composition of the cumulus-oocyte complex matrix during in vitro maturation of oocytesKylie R Dunning
Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Research Centre for Reproductive Health, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hum Reprod 22:2842-50. 2007..identified two extracellular matrix proteins, the protease Adamts1 and hyaluronan-binding proteoglycan Versican, produced by mural granulosa cells that selectively incorporate into the periovulatory cumulus-oocyte complex (COC).
- Ultrastructural characterization of mouse embryonic stem cell-derived oocytes and granulosa cellsOlympia E Psathaki
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Biomedicine, Munster, Germany
Stem Cells Dev 20:2205-15. 2011..We have generated putative oocytes and granulosa cells in vitro from mouse embryonic stem cells and utilized electron microscopy to characterize these cells...
- Induction of Ad4BP/SF-1, steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, and cytochrome P450scc enzyme system expression in newly established human granulosa cell linesK Hosokawa
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Endocrinology 139:4679-87. 1998We have established immortalized human granulosa cells by triple transfection of primary cells obtained from in vitro fertilization patients with SV40 DNA, Ha-ras oncogene, and a temperature sensitive (ts) mutant of the tumor suppressor ..
- CREB coactivator CRTC2/TORC2 and its regulator calcineurin crucially mediate follicle-stimulating hormone and transforming growth factor β1 upregulation of steroidogenesisWei Ling Fang
Institute of Physiology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Cell Physiol 227:2430-40. 2012..Primary culture of granulosa cells from gonadotropin-primed immature rats was used...
- Oocyte-somatic cell interactions during follicle development in mammalsR B Gilchrist
Research Centre for Reproductive Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Adelaide, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville, SA 5011, Australia
Anim Reprod Sci 82:431-46. 2004..The oocyte achieves this, in part, by secreting soluble paracrine growth factors that act on its neighboring granulosa cells, which in turn regulate oocyte development...
- Mutation in bone morphogenetic protein receptor-IB is associated with increased ovulation rate in Booroola Mérino ewesP Mulsant
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Laboratoire de Genetique Cellulaire, BP, 27, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:5104-9. 2001..In vitro, ovarian granulosa cells from FecB(B)/FecB(B) ewes were less responsive than granulosa cells from FecB(+)/FecB(+) ewes to the ..
- Activin A stimulates meiotic maturation of human oocytes and modulates granulosa cell steroidogenesis in vitroB M Alak
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
Fertil Steril 70:1126-30. 1998To test the hypothesis that activin A promotes in vitro human oocyte meiotic maturation while inhibiting steroid secretion by nonluteinized antral granulosa cells.
- The B cell translocation gene (BTG) family in the rat ovary: hormonal induction, regulation, and impact on cell cycle kineticsFeixue Li
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chandler Medical Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
Endocrinology 150:3894-902. 2009..Ovaries or granulosa cells were collected at various times after hCG administration (n = 3 per time point)...
- Expression and glycosylation with polylactosamine of CD44 antigen on macrophages during follicular atresia in pig ovariesYuko Miyake
Laboratories of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, 981 8555, Japan
Biol Reprod 74:501-10. 2006..classified into five stages: stage I, healthy follicles; stage II, early atretic follicles having apoptotic granulosa cells with an unclear basement membrane; stage III, progressing atretic follicles having apoptotic granulosa cells ..
- Bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) ligands and receptors in bovine ovarian follicle cells: actions of BMP-4, -6 and -7 on granulosa cells and differential modulation of Smad-1 phosphorylation by follistatinClaire Glister
School of Animal and Microbial Sciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AJ, UK
Reproduction 127:239-54. 2004..Immunocytochemistry revealed expression of BMP-4 and -7 in isolated theca cells whereas granulosa cells and oocytes selectively expressed BMP-6...
- Follicular somatic cell factors and follicle developmentJ Buratini
Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, Sao Paulo 18618 000, Brasil
Reprod Fertil Dev 23:32-9. 2011Considerable attention is currently paid to oocyte-derived secreted factors that act upon cumulus and granulosa cells. Also important for follicle development are somatic cell-derived secreted factors...
- Quercetin attenuates cadmium-induced oxidative damage and apoptosis in granulosa cells from chicken ovarian folliclesYudong Jia
Key Laboratory of Animal Epidemic Etiology and Immunological Prevention of the Ministry of Agriculture, Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Animal Sciences, Zhejiang University, No 268 Kaixuan Road, Hangzhou 310029, PR China
Reprod Toxicol 31:477-85. 2011..effect of quercetin on cadmium-induced oxidative damage and apoptosis was investigated in cultured granulosa cells from chicken ovarian follicles...
- Luteinizing hormone receptor mRNA down-regulation is mediated through ERK-dependent induction of RNA binding proteinBindu Menon
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0617, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:282-90. 2011..The LH-mediated signaling pathways involved in this process were examined in primary cultures of human granulosa cells. Treatment with 10 IU human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) for 12 h resulted in the down-regulation of LHR mRNA ..
- Oocyte--granulosa cell interactionsR Canipari
Dipartimento di Istologia ed Embriologia Medica, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Hum Reprod Update 6:279-89. 2000..The search for the optimal culture conditions and the correct balance of hormones necessary to obtain a fertilizable oocyte in vitro is extremely important for clinical and agricultural applications...
- Apoptosis in human granulosa cells after induction of ovulation in women participating in an intracytoplasmic sperm injection programAna Clavero
Servicio de Análisis Cli nicos, Hospital Virgen de las Nieves, Granada, Spain
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 110:181-5. 2003....
- Inhibitor of apoptosis proteins and ovarian dysfunction in galactosemic ratsK W Lai
Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, P R China
Cell Tissue Res 311:417-25. 2003..Western blot analysis of granulosa cells showed that the overall expressions of Fas and FasL were lower in the control group and their expressions of ..
- WNT2 regulates DNA synthesis in mouse granulosa cells through beta-cateninHong Xing Wang
Departments of Physiology and Pharmacology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Pediatrics, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Biol Reprod 82:865-75. 2010..the objective of this study was to investigate the regulation and function of WNT2 signaling in mouse granulosa cells. Immunostaining identified WNT2 as being expressed in granulosa cells throughout folliculogenesis, but with ..
- Differential granulosa cell gene expression in young women with diminished ovarian reserveKeri Greenseid
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department ofObstetrics, Gynecology and Women s Health, Albert Einstein Collegeof Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Reprod Sci 18:892-9. 2011To investigate if a diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve (DOR) is associated with a differential gene profile of ovarian granulosa cells (GCs) in infertile women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Progesterone induces the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) 120 and Flk-1, its receptor, in bovine granulosa cellsTakashi Shimizu
Graduate School of Animal and Food Hygiene, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine Inada Machi, Obihiro, Hokkaido 080 8555, Japan
Anim Reprod Sci 102:228-37. 2007Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) isoforms (VEGF 120 and VEGF 164) secreted by granulosa cells are involved in thecal angiogenesis during follicular development in the bovine ovary...
- What we have learned from isolated cells from human ovary?Hitoshi Okamura
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Honjo 1 1 1, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
Mol Cell Endocrinol 202:37-45. 2003..We have recently established the in vitro culture systems of ovarian surface epithelium (OSE) and granulosa cells of humans, and subsequently developed the immortalization of each cell...
- A role for nuclear factor interleukin-3 (NFIL3), a critical transcriptional repressor, in down-regulation of periovulatory gene expressionFeixue Li
College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Hangzhou Normal University, Hangzhou 310036, People s Republic of China
Mol Endocrinol 25:445-59. 2011..with pregnant mare's serum gonadotropin, treated with human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), and ovaries or granulosa cells were collected at various times after hCG...
- Efficient replication of caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus in goat granulosa cellsA Lamara
Laboratoire d Etude des Risques Sanitaires liés aux Biotechnologies de la Reproduction, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire de Nantes, Atlanpole La Chantrerie, B P 40706 44307, Cedex, Nantes, France
Virus Res 79:165-72. 2001..Since granulosa cells (GC) are of epithelial origin and currently used for in vitro oocyte maturation, we addressed the question ..
- Expression and regulation of transcripts encoding two members of the NR5A nuclear receptor subfamily of orphan nuclear receptors, steroidogenic factor-1 and NR5A2, in equine ovarian cells during the ovulatory processD Boerboom
Centre de Recherche en Reproduction Animale, Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, Saint Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada
Endocrinology 141:4647-56. 2000..caused a significant decrease in SF-1 levels between 12-39 h in theca interna and between 24-39 h post hCG in granulosa cells (P < 0.05)...
- Immunolocalization of the hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) system in the rat ovary and the anti-apoptotic effect of HGF in rat ovarian granulosa cells in vitroMehmet Uzumcu
Department of Animal Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
Reproduction 132:291-9. 2006..Advanced folliculogenesis led to a change in the cellular distribution of the HGF, c-met, and HGFA, suggesting that the ovarian HGF system is hormonally regulated in vivo...
- Inhibin A is a follicle stimulating hormone-responsive marker of granulosa cell differentiation, which has both autocrine and paracrine actions in sheepB K Campbell
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Edinburgh, Centre for Reproductive Biology, 37 Chalmers Street, Edinburgh, UK
J Endocrinol 169:333-45. 2001..Experiment 2 examined the pattern of inhibin A production, in relation to oestradiol, by granulosa cells induced to differentiate in vitro with follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)...
- Bisphenol A disrupts granulosa cell functionF Grasselli
Dipartimento di Produzioni Animali, Biotecnologie Veterinarie, Qualità e Sicurezza degli Alimenti, Italy
Domest Anim Endocrinol 39:34-9. 2010..Within the reproductive system, ovarian granulosa cells have been documented as a target of BPA action, but no consensus has been reached about functional ..
- Human Ovarian Steroidogenesis-inducing ProteinSHAFIQ KHAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Later studies revealed that SIP is also a potent growth factor and stimulates DNA synthesis in rat granulosa cells, immature rat Leydig cells and human ovarian epithelial cancer cells...
- Regulation and Function of the Rhox8 homeobox gene in granulosa cellsJAMES ARTHUR MACLEAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The actions of granulosa cells in the ovary are central to successful ovulation...
- WNT and gonadotropin mediated regulation of ovarian steroidogenesisJENNIFER HERNANDEZ GIFFORD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, reduction of [unreadable]-catenin in granulosa cells compromises FSH stimulation of aromatase mRNA and resultant estradiol production...
- Leukemia Inhibitory Factor As a Mediator of Primate Ovulation &Oocyte MaturationJon D Hennebold; Fiscal Year: 2013..surface LIF binding proteins (LIF receptor, or LIFR;gp130) were further localized to isolated oocytes and granulosa cells. Lastly, in pilot studies, intrafollicula injection of a LIF antagonist (the extracellular LIF binding ..
- Regulation of guanylyl cyclase A and B by hormones, ATP and phosphorylationLincoln Ross Potter; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, the fourth aim will investigate how hormones inactivate GC- B in mouse follicles, granulosa cells, chondrocytes and smooth muscle cells by assessing the requirements for calcium elevations, PKC activation, ..
- Role of mineralocorticoid receptor in primate ovarian functionCHARLES CHAFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..In order to verify an ovarian origin for DOC, granulosa cells were isolated prior to an ovulatory stimulus and cultured in the presence of hCG, resulting in a dramatic ..
- Receptor/Ligand Signals for Ovarian Follicular AngiogenesisLeon J Spicer; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our overall hypothesis is that granulosa cells signal theca interna via ANG and FGF9 secretion to regulate theca and vascular cell differentiation and ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF MAMMALIAN OOCYTE-GRANULOSA CELL COMPLEXJohn J Eppig; Fiscal Year: 2012..In Aim 2, the hypothesis that oocytes control follicular development by affecting how granulosa cells respond to hormonal stimuli will be tested...
- Protease regulation of ovarian recrudescenceKELLY ANSLEY YOUNG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Examination of both mRNA and protein for key markers of angiogenesis (e.g., CD34, VEGF-R1), proliferation of granulosa cells (PCNA), and steroidogenesis (e.g...
- Use of a Fragile X premutation knock-in mouse to study FXPOIJoshua Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..assessment of PM carriers indicates that FSH is elevated, inhibins and anti-Mullerian hormone (both made by granulosa cells) are reduced...
- ANALYSIS OF REPRODUCTIVE FUNCTION USING TRANSGENIC MICEMartin M Matzuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..pathways in the development of oviductal and uterine smooth muscles;2) Identify the GDF9 type 1 receptor in granulosa cells;3) Determine the molecular aspects for receptor specificity of the BMP15 and GDF9 ligands;and 4) Study the ..
- A Novel Function of the Oocyte in Estrogen-Regulated FSH ActionShunichi Shimasaki; Fiscal Year: 2009..we have recently discovered that the oocyte is essential for estrogen activity in enhancing FSH action in granulosa cells. We have also found that the synergistic action of estrogen and oocytes occurs at a site downstream of the ..
- Functional Significance of the HIF1 Transcriptome in Granulosa CellsJohn H Nilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Fertility in females requires controlled maturation of the oocyte, supporting granulosa cells (GCs), and theca cells that comprise the ovarian follicle...
- FSH-STIMULATED SIGNALS THAT REGULATE FOLLICULAR MATURATIONJohn H Nilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Fertility in females requires controlled maturation of the oocyte, supporting granulosa cells (GCs), and thecal cells that comprise the ovarian follicle...
- Molecular Pathways Controlling Ovarian Gene ExpressionCARLOS OSCAR STOCCO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ovarian granulosa cells express high levels of the transcription factors GATA-4 and GATA-6...
- MicroRNA Regulation of Ovarian FunctionLane K Christenson; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have also identified miR-21 as an LH- induced microRNA (miRNA) within granulosa cells of the periovulatory follicle, and demonstrated that it suppresses apoptosis and enhances granulosa cell ..
- The Inositol Phosphate Cascade as a Regulator of FSH and LH actions in the OvaryShawn M Breen; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The gonadotropin-induced expression of aromatase in granulosa cells is dependent on the signaling pathways that are activated, which is dictated by the density of each gonadotropin receptor...
- Role of STARD6 in ovarian steroidogenesisHOLLY ANNE LAVOIE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using microarray, we serendipitously found STARD6 mRNA in luteinizing pig granulosa cells and further found it to be highly expressed in midluteal phase corpora lutea, a tissue with high STARD1 ..
- Chromium VI-induced toxicity on Female Reproductive FunctionSAKHILA BANU; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our central hypothesis is that lactation exposure to CrVI induces apoptosis of granulosa cells and follicular atresia, decreases ovulation, compromises pregnancy, and induces preterm labor in the F1 ..
- Developmental Gene-Environment Interactions and Premature Ovarian FailureUlrike Luderer; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) To delineate the effects of deficient GSH synthesis localized to granulosa cells or oocytes on premature ovarian failure utilizing conditional knockout mouse models with granulosa cell- and ..
- Molecular Basis of BMP-15 FunctionShunichi Shimasaki; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 1: Determine the biological function of rhBMP-15 in human granulosa cells at defined stages of follicle development...
- Role of the Mullerian Tract in Ovarian Cancer DevelopmentLouis Dubeau; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dubeau's laboratory that suggests that inactivation of Brca1 in ovarian granulosa cells stimulate neoplastic transformation in tissues that are embryologically derived from the mullerian ducts...
- Cyclic AMP Signaling in Granulosa CellsAnthony J Zeleznik; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 1 will compare the signaling pathways activated by FSH and by PKA-CQR in undifferentiated granulosa cells. Aim 2 will determine which signaling pathways and/or transcription factors interact with PKA to optimally ..
- Function of RUNX transcription factors in COCsMisung Jo; Fiscal Year: 2013..enzyme in the biosynthesis of prostaglandins) and Hapln1 (a stabilizer of cumulus matrix) in mural granulosa cells and/or cumulus cells. Both gene products are known to play crucial roles in COC expansion...
- The Role Of CCL20 In Ovulation: A Novel Mediator Of Ovarian Leukocyte RecruitmentThomas E Curry; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 3 will investigate the role of CCL20 on ovarian cell function, specifically the ability of granulosa cells to survive, differentiate, and make sterid hormones...
- ANALYSIS OF REPRODUCTIVE FUNCTION USING TRANSGENIC MICEMartin M Matzuk; Fiscal Year: 2010..of quiescent primordial follicles to primary (one layer) follicles by an unknown mechanism;2) Growth of the granulosa cells of the primary follicle to form two-layered and multi-layered secondary follicles;3) Formation of antral ..
- PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE PRIMATE GONADTony M Plant; Fiscal Year: 2010..At the technical level, methodology developed at the Pittsburgh Center for controlling gene expression in granulosa cells will find direct application to the study of Sertoli cell biology in this proposal...
- Role of the BMP co-receptor Dragon (RGMb) in ovarian follicle developmentHerbert Y Lin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Follicle development requires communication between oocytes and granulosa cells. The cellular and molecular processes involved are poorly understood...
- PAIRBP &PGRMC1 act as a membrane receptor complex to mediate P4's ovarian actionJohn J Peluso; Fiscal Year: 2011..These studies will be conducted on rat granulosa cells, rat luteal and human granulosa/luteal cells...
- REGULATION OF THE CORPUS LUTEUMAnthony Zeleznik; Fiscal Year: 2003..adenovirus vector that expresses a dominant-negative mutant of CREB will be used to block CREB signaling in granulosa cells. The specific hypothesis is that the loss of CREB- of CREB and PCNA expression...
- OVARIAN TUMOR NECROSIS FACTORPaul Terranova; Fiscal Year: 2004..Preliminary data indicate that TNF inhibits FSH and LH stimulated estradiol secretion by granulosa cells in the mouse and human without altering the level of cAMP; this observation is different than that in rat ..
- APOPTOSIS AND REPRODUCTIVE AGING OF THE FEMALEJonathan Tilly; Fiscal Year: 2003..a structure composed of a single germ cell (oocyte) surrounded by a somatic cell lineage, referred to as granulosa cells (GC), that is the source of estrogens produced by the ovaries...
- FAS AND BC1-2 AND GRANULOSA CELL APOPTOSISNicholas Cataldo; Fiscal Year: 2000..Oocytes which are not surrounded by granulosa cells nearly i ovarian development undergo atresia, while follicles also undergo atresia at every stage of ..
- REGULATION OF MAMMALIAN OOCYTE DEVELOPMENTJohn Eppig; Fiscal Year: 1993..1) Granulosa cells produce hypoxanthine and other purines that could participate in the maintenance of meiotic arrest...
- REGULATORY MECHANISMS OF OVARIAN PROGESTERONE RECEPTORSOk Kyong Park Sarge; Fiscal Year: 2000..her postdoctoral training period, that the ovary transiently expresses the progesterone receptor gene in granulosa cells of preovulatory follicles during the period critical for ovulatory processes, clearly suggests that the ovary ..
- HORMONE ACTION IN THE OVARY: ROLE OF CALCIUM IONSJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 1999..Based on this background, in this renewal proposal we will use primary cultures of untransformed swine granulosa cells to investigate: (i) the regulated biochemical mechanisms that govern the distinctive FSH versus LH- promoted [..
- ACTIONS OF ESTROGEN IN MATURING GRAAFIAN FOLLICLESJohannes Veldhuis; Fiscal Year: 2005..b>Granulosa cells in the dominant Graafian follide undergo progressive steroidogenic cytodifferentiation in preparation for the ..
- The function(s) and regulation of PPARs in the ovaryCarolyn Komar; Fiscal Year: 2003..She has preliminary data showing that PPAR gamma expression is restricted to granulosa cells and is down regulated by the gonadotropin surge...
- REGULATION OF FOLLITROPIN ACTIONSMario Ascoli; Fiscal Year: 2009..The LH and FSH receptors (LHR and FSHR, respectively) are both expressed in granulosa cells but in spite of structural and functional similarities between LH and FSH and between the LHR and the FSHR, ..
- REGULATION OF MIS TYPE II RECEPTOR AND TARGET GENESJose Teixeira; Fiscal Year: 2002..MIS is also produced both in the adult testis by Sertoli cells and in the ovary by granulosa cells, where its exact role remains to be fully explored...
- AROMATASE IN ADIPOSE--RELATIONSHIP TO AGING AND CANCEREvan Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2005In the human, estrogens are synthesized in a number of tissue sites including ovarian granulosa cells and corpus luteum, placental syncytiotrophoblast, various sites in the brain, as well as adipose tissue...
- RECEPTOR MECHANISMS OF IGF-II ACTION IN THE OVARYLeonid Poretsky; Fiscal Year: 1999..the IGF-II induced suppression of insulin-like growth factor binding protein I (IGFBP-1) production in human granulosa cells. The following hypotheses will be tested: 1...
- MESENCHYMAL/EPITHELIAL CELL INTERACTIONS IN THE OVARYMichael Skinner; Fiscal Year: 2000..Emphasis is placed on the elucidation of mesenchymal-epithelial cell interactions between theca cells and granulosa cells. Previous research and preliminary studies have demonstrated that the mesenchymal derived theca cells produce ..
- Ovarian Aspects of Caloric RestrictionMARY ZELINSKI WOOTEN; Fiscal Year: 2004..e. granulosa cells, to exogenous gonadotropin or "fertility" treatment, and resultant follicular growth and maturation; and 3) ..
- Ovarian Primordial Follicle DevelopmentMichael K Skinner; Fiscal Year: 2010..to be mediated by the local production and action of specific paracrine factors involving theca cells, granulosa cells, and the oocyte. Preliminary studies have shown that steroid hormones (i.e...
- OOCYTE CULTURE CONDITIONS THAT PROMOTE EMBRYOGENESISJohn Eppig; Fiscal Year: 1999..that improvement of the development of oocytes in vitro is dependent upon (1) suppressing apoptosis in granulosa cells and (2) promoting the appropriate differentiation of the granulosa cells coupled to the oocytes...
- PEPTIDE GROWTH FACTORS IN POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN DISEASEJohn Yeh; Fiscal Year: 1992..developed a rat model for polycystic ovary in which the in vitro and in vivo effects of hyperandrogenism on granulosa cells can be tested experimentally...
- CELL NON-AUTONOMOUS MODE OF TUMOR SUPPRESSION BY BRCA1Louis Dubeau; Fiscal Year: 2009..This led us to hypothesize that BRCA1 might predispose to ovarian cancer indirectly, by influencing ovarian granulosa cells, which play an important role in controlling menstrual cycle progression through their secretion of sex ..
- REGULATION OF R55 EXPRESSION IN EARLY FOLLICULOGENESISVaughan Lee; Fiscal Year: 2002..in oocytes of activated primordial follicles, while expression of FSH receptors and inhibin alpha occurs in granulosa cells during the first stages of morphological differentiation...
- COORDINATION OF FOLLICULOGENESIS AND OOGENESISDavid Albertini; Fiscal Year: 2007..is that GDF-9 and FSH exert antagonistic influences on an epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT) in granulosa cells (GCs)...
- NOTCH SIGNALING REGULATES GRANULOSA CELL DIFFERENTIATIONNORMA WILSON RAWLS; Fiscal Year: 2002..regulates cell fate decisions between adjacent cells and otch pathway genes were found to be expressed in granulosa cells of developing follicles...
- WATER TRAFFICKING IN THE OVARYFRANCIS HUGHES; Fiscal Year: 2002In the mammalian ovary, a follicle consists of a single oocyte surrounded by a layer of granulosa cells, a basement membrane and a third cell type known as theca cells...
- IGFS AS REGULATORS OF ENDOCRINE CELL GROWTH & FUNCTIONMITCHELL RABKIN; Fiscal Year: 1990..FRTL5, that maintains thyroid differentiated function in vitro and the use of freshly obtained human ovarian granulosa cells. The goals of the project will be to: 1) identify the cell-surface membrane receptors for IGF-I, IGF-II, and ..
- GRANULOSA CELL FUNCTION DURING FOLLICULOGENESISVirendra Mahesh; Fiscal Year: 1993The growth and development of ovarian follicles is dependent upon the population of granulosa cells present in the follicle...
- OOCYTE CULTURE CONDITIONS THAT PROMOTE EMBRYOGENESISJohn Eppig; Fiscal Year: 2009..embryogenesis and long-term health of offspring and (2) explore the communication between oocytes and granulosa cells and its impact on oocyte development...
- REGULATION OF GRANULOSA CELL FSH RECEPTORAndrew La Barbera; Fiscal Year: 2002It is important that we understand how follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) regulates its receptor in ovarian granulosa cells become hormone analogs and drugs that affect follicular development via the FSH receptor (FSHR) are being ..
- Mechanisms of p53 action on primate steroidogenesisCHARLES CHAFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2005..protein beta (CEBPb), we have recently discovered that the initial increase in steroid synthesis by primate granulosa cells depends upon the tumor suppressor p53...
- SF1 & CREB: GONADAL ROLES BY A NEW TRANSGENIC APPROACHLESLIE HECKERT; Fiscal Year: 1999Sertoli and granulosa cells form an important somatic component of the gonads. These cells help regulate germ cell development by providing essential nutrients and regulatory signals that support their maturation...
- BIOLOGICAL BASIS OF THE PERIMENOPAUSEDAVID SEIFER; Fiscal Year: 2002..This project is directed at understanding the biological basis of this transition by investigating granulosa cells which are fundamental components of the aging follicle...
- WATER MOVEMENT DURING CELL DEATHFRANCIS HUGHES; Fiscal Year: 2002..oocytes are lost in a process termed atresia which is characterized by massive apoptosis of the supporting granulosa cells. Morphologically, one of the earliest conserved events of dying cells is cell shrinkage and recent studies by ..
- Mechanisms of luteinization in the primate ovaryCHARLES CHAFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2007Recent evidence in primates demonstrates that proliferation of granulosa cells is arrested within the first quarter of the periovulatory interval. However, specific markers of cell cycle progression, e.g...
- Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Mammalian OvulationOk Kyong Park Sarge; Fiscal Year: 2002..the synthesis of progesterone and its intracellular receptors, progesterone receptors (PRs), in the granulosa cells of preovulatory follicles...
- ACTIVE PROTEIN KINASE IN VIVO AND IN VITROWilliam Fletcher; Fiscal Year: 1990..protein (PKI); 2) Evaluate the quantitative relationship between the amounts of hormone bound by ovarian granulosa cells and the resultant dissociation of R and C and activity of the PKI; 3) Determine whether or not cAMP is the ..
- PHYSIOLOGICAL MEDIATORS OF GRANULOSA CELL APOPTOSISAlan Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2000..Similarly, factors that render granulosa cells resistant to apoptosis, and thus permit follicles to proceed through the process of final differentiation, ..
- INTRAFOLLICULAR REGULATION OF OVARIAN TGF-B1 EXPRESSIONJEFFREY MAY; Fiscal Year: 1999..and secrete TGF-beta1 during follicle development but that it is under the direction of FSH acting upon granulosa cells. We further hypothesize that a FSH-stimulated granulosa cell product regulates theca cell TGF-beta expression ..