Genomes and Genes
Summary: Cells that line the inner and outer surfaces of the body by forming cellular layers (EPITHELIUM) or masses. Epithelial cells lining the SKIN; the MOUTH; the NOSE; and the ANAL CANAL derive from ectoderm; those lining the RESPIRATORY SYSTEM and the DIGESTIVE SYSTEM derive from endoderm; others (CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM and LYMPHATIC SYSTEM) from mesoderm.
Publications427 found, 100 shown here
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and diseaseJean Paul Thiery
IMCB, A STAR, Proteos, Singapore 138673, Republic of Singapore
Cell 139:871-90. 2009....
- The basics of epithelial-mesenchymal transitionRaghu Kalluri
Division of Matrix Biology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Invest 119:1420-8. 2009..The identification of the signaling pathways that lead to activation of EMT programs during these disease processes is providing new insights into the plasticity of cellular phenotypes and possible therapeutic interventions...
- The epithelial-mesenchymal transition generates cells with properties of stem cellsSendurai A Mani
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, 9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 133:704-15. 2008..We here report that the induction of an EMT in immortalized human mammary epithelial cells (HMLEs) results in the acquisition of mesenchymal traits and in the expression of stem-cell markers...
- Transitions between epithelial and mesenchymal states: acquisition of malignant and stem cell traitsKornelia Polyak
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 9:265-73. 2009....
- Complex networks orchestrate epithelial-mesenchymal transitionsJean Paul Thiery
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS Unité Mixte Recherche UMR 144 and Institut Curie, 26 Rue d Ulm, 75248 Paris Cedex 05, France
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 7:131-42. 2006..Understanding how mesenchymal cells arise from an epithelial default status will also have a strong impact in unravelling the mechanisms that control fibrosis and cancer progression...
- Wound healing--aiming for perfect skin regenerationP Martin
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Science 276:75-81. 1997....
- A physical and regulatory map of host-influenza interactions reveals pathways in H1N1 infectionSagi D Shapira
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, 7 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 139:1255-67. 2009..This multilayered approach provides a comprehensive and unbiased physical and regulatory model of influenza-host interactions and demonstrates a general strategy for uncovering complex host-pathogen relationships...
- Biomarkers for epithelial-mesenchymal transitionsMichael Zeisberg
Division of Matrix Biology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Invest 119:1429-37. 2009....
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and pathologiesJean Paul Thiery
Unite Mixte de Recherche 144, Centre National Recherche Scientifique, Institut Curie, 26 Rue d Ulm, 75248 Paris Cedex 05, France
Curr Opin Cell Biol 15:740-6. 2003..Current studies further emphasise the critical importance of EMT and provide a better molecular and functional definition of mesenchymal cells and how they emerged >500 million years ago as a key event in evolution...
- A double-negative feedback loop between ZEB1-SIP1 and the microRNA-200 family regulates epithelial-mesenchymal transitionCameron P Bracken
Hanson Institute, Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Cancer Res 68:7846-54. 2008..This promoter region is sufficient to confer expression in epithelial cells and is repressed in mesenchymal cells by ZEB1 and SIP1 through their binding to a conserved pair of ZEB-type ..
- Defining the epithelial stem cell niche in skinTudorita Tumbar
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 303:359-63. 2004..Many of the >100 messenger RNAs preferentially expressed in the niche encode surface receptors and secreted proteins, enabling LRCs to signal and respond to their environment...
- Generation of a functional mammary gland from a single stem cellMark Shackleton
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, 1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia
Nature 439:84-8. 2006..Our data establish that single cells within the Lin-CD29hiCD24+ population are multipotent and self-renewing, properties that define them as MaSCs...
- Occludin: a novel integral membrane protein localizing at tight junctionsM Furuse
Department of Information Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Aichi, Japan
J Cell Biol 123:1777-88. 1993..These findings revealed that an integral membrane protein localizing at tight junctions is now identified, which we designated as "occludin."..
- Twist, a master regulator of morphogenesis, plays an essential role in tumor metastasisJing Yang
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, 9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Cell 117:927-39. 2004..These results establish a mechanistic link between Twist, EMT, and tumor metastasis...
- Generation of breast cancer stem cells through epithelial-mesenchymal transitionAnne Pierre Morel
Centre Leon Berard, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 3:e2888. 2008..possessing both stem and tumorigenic characteristics of "cancer stem cells" can be derived from human mammary epithelial cells following the activation of the Ras-MAPK pathway...
- The two-handed E box binding zinc finger protein SIP1 downregulates E-cadherin and induces invasionJ Comijn
Molecular Cell Biology Unit, Department of Molecular Biology, VIB Ghent University, B 9000, Ghent, Belgium
Mol Cell 7:1267-78. 2001..SIP1 therefore appears to be a promoter of invasion in malignant epithelial tumors...
- Fate tracing reveals the pericyte and not epithelial origin of myofibroblasts in kidney fibrosisBenjamin D Humphreys
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Pathol 176:85-97. 2010..Recent studies suggest epithelial cells are an important source of myofibroblasts through a process described as the epithelial-to-mesenchymal ..
- EMT: when epithelial cells decide to become mesenchymal-like cellsRaghu Kalluri
Division of Matrix Biology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Invest 119:1417-9. 2009..Also discussed are proposals to classify EMT into three subtypes, each of which has different functional consequences...
- Intestinal mucosal barrier function in health and diseaseJerrold R Turner
Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland, MC 1089, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 9:799-809. 2009Mucosal surfaces are lined by epithelial cells. These cells establish a barrier between sometimes hostile external environments and the internal milieu...
- The miR-200 family determines the epithelial phenotype of cancer cells by targeting the E-cadherin repressors ZEB1 and ZEB2Sun Mi Park
The Ben May Department for Cancer Research, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Genes Dev 22:894-907. 2008..Conversely, inhibition of miR-200 reduced E-cadherin expression, increased expression of Vimentin, and induced EMT. Our data identify miR-200 as a powerful marker and determining factor of the epithelial phenotype of cancer cells...
- Self-renewal, multipotency, and the existence of two cell populations within an epithelial stem cell nicheCedric Blanpain
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cell 118:635-48. 2004..These findings suggest that the niche microenvironment imposes intrinsic "stemness" features without restricting the establishment of epithelial polarity and changes in gene expression...
- A reserve stem cell population in small intestine renders Lgr5-positive cells dispensableHua Tian
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech Inc, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Nature 478:255-9. 2011..The Bmi1-expressing stem cells may represent both a reserve stem cell pool in case of injury to the small intestine epithelium and a source for replenishment of the Lgr5-expressing cells under non-pathological conditions...
- Preparing for the first breath: genetic and cellular mechanisms in lung developmentEdward E Morrisey
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 18:8-23. 2010....
- Molecular physiology of P2X receptorsR Alan North
Institute of Molecular Physiology, University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Physiol Rev 82:1013-67. 2002..In the last case, P2X7 receptor activation stimulates cytokine release by engaging intracellular signaling pathways...
- TGF-beta and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitionsJiri Zavadil
Department of Pathology, NYU Cancer Institute, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Oncogene 24:5764-74. 2005Remarkable phenotype plasticity of epithelial cells underlies morphogenesis, epithelial repair and tumor invasiveness...
- Epithelial--mesenchymal and mesenchymal--epithelial transitions in carcinoma progressionHonor Hugo
Embryology Laboratory, Murdoch Children s Research Institute, The Royal Children s Hospital, Victoria, Australia
J Cell Physiol 213:374-83. 2007..to mesenchymal transition (EMT) is an important change in cell phenotype which allows the escape of epithelial cells from the structural constraints imposed by tissue architecture, and was first recognized by Elizabeth Hay in ..
- The EMT-activator ZEB1 promotes tumorigenicity by repressing stemness-inhibiting microRNAsUlrich Wellner
Department of Visceral Surgery, University of Freiburg, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 11:1487-95. 2009..Thus, targeting the ZEB1-miR-200 feedback loop might form the basis of a promising treatment for fatal tumours, such as pancreatic cancer...
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions: the importance of changing cell state in development and diseaseHervé Acloque
Instituto de Neurociencias CSIC UMH, San Juan de Alicante, Spain
J Clin Invest 119:1438-49. 2009The events that convert adherent epithelial cells into individual migratory cells that can invade the extracellular matrix are known collectively as epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT)...
- Dynamics of adherens junctions in epithelial establishment, maintenance, and remodelingBuzz Baum
University College London, London WC1E 6BT, England, UK
J Cell Biol 192:907-17. 2011..This dynamic structure physically connects neighboring epithelial cells, couples intercellular adhesive contacts to the cytoskeleton, and helps define each cell's apical-basal axis...
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transition: at the crossroads of development and tumor metastasisJing Yang
Department of Pharmacology and Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0636, USA
Dev Cell 14:818-29. 2008The epithelial-mesenchymal transition is a highly conserved cellular program that allows polarized, immotile epithelial cells to convert to motile mesenchymal cells...
- Core epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition interactome gene-expression signature is associated with claudin-low and metaplastic breast cancer subtypesJoseph H Taube
Department of Molecular Pathology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77054, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:15449-54. 2010..Additionally, the expression level of FOXC1, another EMT inducer, correlates strongly with poor survival of breast cancer patients...
- New insights into epithelial-mesenchymal transition in kidney fibrosisYouhua Liu
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, S 405 Biomedical Science Tower, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 21:212-22. 2010Epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT), a process by which differentiated epithelial cells undergo a phenotypic conversion that gives rise to the matrix-producing fibroblasts and myofibroblasts, is increasingly recognized as an integral ..
- Pneumococcal interactions with epithelial cells are crucial for optimal biofilm formation and colonization in vitro and in vivoLaura R Marks
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York, USA
Infect Immun 80:2744-60. 2012..Furthermore, pneumococcal biofilms grown on respiratory epithelial cells exhibited phenotypes similar to those observed during colonization in vivo, whereas abiotic surfaces produced ..
- The second type VI secretion system of Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain PAO1 is regulated by quorum sensing and Fur and modulates internalization in epithelial cellsThibault G Sana
Aix Marseille Université et CNRS, Laboratoire d Ingenierie des Systemes Macromoleculaires, UMR7255, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
J Biol Chem 287:27095-105. 2012..bacterial uptake into HeLa cells (75% decrease in internalization with a H2-T6SS mutant) and into lung epithelial cells through a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent pathway that induces Akt activation in the host cell (50% ..
- Reassessing epithelial to mesenchymal transition as a prerequisite for carcinoma invasion and metastasisJason J Christiansen
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cancer Res 66:8319-26. 2006..advanced carcinomas that adopt some mesenchymal features, yet retain characteristics of well-differentiated epithelial cells. We provide a review of these reports and describe mechanisms to explain the morphologic and molecular ..
- EZH2 is a marker of aggressive breast cancer and promotes neoplastic transformation of breast epithelial cellsCelina G Kleer
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:11606-11. 2003..This study provides compelling evidence for a functional link between dysregulated cellular memory, transcriptional repression, and neoplastic transformation...
- Projection of an immunological self shadow within the thymus by the aire proteinMark S Anderson
Section on Immunology and Immunogenetics, Joslin Diabetes Center Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital Harvard Medical School, 1 Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Science 298:1395-401. 2002..autoimmunity by promoting the ectopic expression of peripheral tissue- restricted antigens in medullary epithelial cells of the thymus. This hypothesis proved correct...
- Corneal reconstruction with tissue-engineered cell sheets composed of autologous oral mucosal epitheliumKohji Nishida
Department of Ophthalmology, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Osaka, Japan
N Engl J Med 351:1187-96. 2004..We studied the use of autologous oral mucosal epithelial cells as a source of cells for the reconstruction of the corneal surface.
- Cell polarity in eggs and epithelia: parallels and diversityDaniel St Johnston
The Gurdon Institute and the Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QN, United Kingdom
Cell 141:757-74. 2010..We also highlight the prospects for future studies on how cortical polarity interfaces with other cellular processes, such as morphogenesis, exocytosis, and lipid signaling, and how defects in polarity contribute to tumor formation...
- Induction of epithelial-mesenchymal transition in alveolar epithelial cells by transforming growth factor-beta1: potential role in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisBrigham C Willis
Department of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Pathol 166:1321-32. 2005..We hypothesized that alveolar epithelial cells (AECs) may serve as a source of myofibroblasts through epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT)...
- Characterization of a naturally occurring breast cancer subset enriched in epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and stem cell characteristicsBryan T Hennessy
Department of Gynecologic Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Res 69:4116-24. 2009..PIK3CA mutations, EMT, and stem cell-like characteristics likely contribute to the poor outcomes of MBC and suggest novel therapeutic targets...
- BRCA1 basal-like breast cancers originate from luminal epithelial progenitors and not from basal stem cellsGemma Molyneux
The Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Centre, The Institute of Cancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Cell Stem Cell 7:403-17. 2010..They also demonstrate that when target cells for transformation have the potential for phenotypic plasticity, tumor phenotypes may not directly reflect histogenesis. This has important implications for cancer prevention strategies...
- From attachment to damage: defined genes of Candida albicans mediate adhesion, invasion and damage during interaction with oral epithelial cellsBetty Wächtler
Department of Microbial Pathogenicity Mechanisms, Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology Hans Knoell Institute Jena, Jena, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e17046. 2011Candida albicans frequently causes superficial infections by invading and damaging epithelial cells, but may also cause systemic infections by penetrating through epithelial barriers. C...
- Morphogenesis and oncogenesis of MCF-10A mammary epithelial acini grown in three-dimensional basement membrane culturesJayanta Debnath
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Methods 30:256-68. 2003The three-dimensional culture of MCF-10A mammary epithelial cells on a reconstituted basement membrane results in formation of polarized, growth-arrested acini-like spheroids that recapitulate several aspects of glandular architecture in ..
- Senescent fibroblasts promote epithelial cell growth and tumorigenesis: a link between cancer and agingA Krtolica
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:12072-7. 2001..We show that senescent human fibroblasts stimulate premalignant and malignant, but not normal, epithelial cells to proliferate in culture and form tumors in mice...
- Bmi-1 is a novel molecular marker of nasopharyngeal carcinoma progression and immortalizes primary human nasopharyngeal epithelial cellsLi Bing Song
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in Southern China, Sun Yat sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou, China
Cancer Res 66:6225-32. 2006..Its overexpression leads to senescence bypass in human fibroblasts and immortalization of human mammary epithelial cells. In this study, we report that compared with normal nasopharyngeal epithelial cells (NPEC), Bmi-1 is ..
- Blimp1 defines a progenitor population that governs cellular input to the sebaceous glandValerie Horsley
Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cell 126:597-609. 2006....
- Tumor stroma and regulation of cancer developmentThea D Tlsty
Department of Pathology and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Annu Rev Pathol 1:119-50. 2006..that, like organogenesis during embryonic development and tissue repair in adult mammals, are regulated by interactions between epithelial cells, activated stromal cells, and soluble and insoluble components of the extracellular matrix.
- Dual regulation of Snail by GSK-3beta-mediated phosphorylation in control of epithelial-mesenchymal transitionBinhua P Zhou
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, Breast Cancer Basic Research Program, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Cell Biol 6:931-40. 2004..Furthermore, inhibition of GSK-3beta results in the upregulation of Snail and downregulation of E-cadherin in vivo. Thus, Snail and GSK-3beta together function as a molecular switch for many signalling pathways that lead to EMT...
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transition: a cancer researcher's conceptual friend and foeMichael W Klymkowsky
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Development Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA
Am J Pathol 174:1588-93. 2009Epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) describes a series of rapid changes in cellular phenotype. During EMT, epithelial cells down-modulate cell-cell adhesion structures, alter their polarity, reorganize their cytoskeleton, and become ..
- Identification of a cell of origin for human prostate cancerAndrew S Goldstein
Molecular Biology Institute, University of California, Los Angeles UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Science 329:568-71. 2010..Our results demonstrate that histological characterization of cancers does not necessarily correlate with the cellular origins of the disease...
- The epithelial-mesenchymal transition: new insights in signaling, development, and diseaseJonathan M Lee
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5, Canada
J Cell Biol 172:973-81. 2006..E.W. Thompson, and D.F. Newgreen. 2005. Cancer Res. 65:5996-6000; Thompson, E.W., D.F. Newgreen, and D. Tarin. 2005. Cancer Res. 65:5991-5995)...
- Dedifferentiation of committed epithelial cells into stem cells in vivoPurushothama Rao Tata
1 Center for Regenerative Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA 2 Departments of Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA 3 Department of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA 4 Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nature 503:218-23. 2013..Here we present evidence that differentiated airway epithelial cells can revert into stable and functional stem cells in vivo...
- Pulmonary expression of interleukin-13 causes inflammation, mucus hypersecretion, subepithelial fibrosis, physiologic abnormalities, and eotaxin productionZ Zhu
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8057, USA
J Clin Invest 103:779-88. 1999..IL-13 may play an important role in the pathogenesis of similar responses in asthma or other Th2-polarized tissue responses...
- Nod1 responds to peptidoglycan delivered by the Helicobacter pylori cag pathogenicity islandJérôme Viala
Groupe d Immunité Innée et Signalisation, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale U389, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Nat Immunol 5:1166-74. 2004b>Epithelial cells can respond to conserved bacterial products that are internalized after either bacterial invasion or liposome treatment of cells...
- A cellular micro-RNA, let-7i, regulates Toll-like receptor 4 expression and contributes to cholangiocyte immune responses against Cryptosporidium parvum infectionXian Ming Chen
Miles and Shirley Fiterman Center for Digestive Diseases, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Biol Chem 282:28929-38. 2007..Here we report that human biliary epithelial cells (cholangiocytes) express let-7 family members, micro-RNAs with complementarity to TLR4 mRNA...
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in breast cancer relates to the basal-like phenotypeDavid Sarrio
Breast and Gynecological Cancer Group, Molecular Pathology Programme, Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas, Madrid, Spain
Cancer Res 68:989-97. 2008....
- EMT inducers catalyze malignant transformation of mammary epithelial cells and drive tumorigenesis towards claudin-low tumors in transgenic miceAnne Pierre Morel
Inserm UMR S1052, Centre de Recherche en Cancérologie de Lyon, Lyon, France
PLoS Genet 8:e1002723. 2012..transition (EMT) is an embryonic transdifferentiation process consisting of conversion of polarized epithelial cells to motile mesenchymal ones...
- Transcriptional program of ciliated epithelial cells reveals new cilium and centrosome components and links to human diseaseRamona A Hoh
Department of Biology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e52166. 2012..define the function of these organelles we determined the transcriptional profile of multiciliated tracheal epithelial cells. Cultures of mouse tracheal epithelial cells undergoing differentiation in vitro were derived from mice ..
- Nod1 detects a unique muropeptide from gram-negative bacterial peptidoglycanStephen E Girardin
Unite de Pathogenie Microbienne Moleculaire, INSERM U389, Institut Pasteur, 28, rue du Dr Roux, 75724Paris Cedex 15, France
Science 300:1584-7. 2003..Moreover, we show that in epithelial cells (which represent the first line of defense against invasive pathogens), Nod1is indispensable for ..
- STAT3 links IL-22 signaling in intestinal epithelial cells to mucosal wound healingGeethanjali Pickert
Institute of Molecular Medicine, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, 55131 Mainz, Germany
J Exp Med 206:1465-72. 2009..that development of colonic inflammation is associated with the induction of STAT3 activity in intestinal epithelial cells (IECs)...
- The transcription factor snail controls epithelial-mesenchymal transitions by repressing E-cadherin expressionA Cano
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Arturo Duperier 4, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Nat Cell Biol 2:76-83. 2000The Snail family of transcription factors has previously been implicated in the differentiation of epithelial cells into mesenchymal cells (epithelial-mesenchymal transitions) during embryonic development...
- Stem cell characteristics of amniotic epithelial cellsToshio Miki
Department of Pathology and McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Stem Cells 23:1549-59. 2005Amniotic epithelial cells develop from the epiblast by 8 days after fertilization and before gastrulation, opening the possibility that they might maintain the plasticity of pregastrulation embryo cells...
- Epithelial to mesenchymal transition is a determinant of sensitivity of non-small-cell lung carcinoma cell lines and xenografts to epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitionStuart Thomson
Departments of Translational Research and Oncology Research, OSI Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Farmingdale, NY 11735, USA
Cancer Res 65:9455-62. 2005..These data suggest that EMT may be a general biological switch rendering non-small cell lung tumors sensitive or insensitive to EGFR inhibition...
- Asthmatic bronchial epithelial cells have a deficient innate immune response to infection with rhinovirusPeter A B Wark
The Brooke Laboratories, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
J Exp Med 201:937-47. 2005..we examined virus replication and innate responses to rhinovirus (RV)-16 infection of primary bronchial epithelial cells from asthmatic and healthy control subjects...
- ROCK inhibitor and feeder cells induce the conditional reprogramming of epithelial cellsXuefeng Liu
Department of Pathology, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University Medical School, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Am J Pathol 180:599-607. 2012..that a Rho kinase inhibitor (Y-27632), in combination with fibroblast feeder cells, induces normal and tumor epithelial cells from many tissues to proliferate indefinitely in vitro, without transduction of exogenous viral or cellular ..
- Functions of lipid rafts in biological membranesD A Brown
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, State University of New York at Stony Brook 11794 5215, USA
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14:111-36. 1998..Rafts may also function in sorting and trafficking through the secretory and endocytic pathways...
- Human epithelial cells trigger dendritic cell mediated allergic inflammation by producing TSLPVassili Soumelis
DNAX, 901 California Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Nat Immunol 3:673-80. 2002Whether epithelial cells play a role in triggering the immune cascade leading to T helper 2 (T(H)2)-type allergic inflammation is not known...
- Cytokinesis failure generating tetraploids promotes tumorigenesis in p53-null cellsTakeshi Fujiwara
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 437:1043-7. 2005..Here we test this idea by transiently blocking cytokinesis in p53-null (p53-/-) mouse mammary epithelial cells (MMECs), enabling the isolation of diploid and tetraploid cultures...
- Three-dimensional culture models of normal and malignant breast epithelial cellsGenee Y Lee
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nat Methods 4:359-65. 2007..Alternatively, the 3D 'on-top' assay, in which cells are cultured on top of a thin lrECM gel overlaid with a dilute solution of lrECM, may be used as described in Box 2 (Fig. 1 and Fig. 2)...
- BMP-7 counteracts TGF-beta1-induced epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and reverses chronic renal injuryMichael Zeisberg
Center for Matrix Biology, Gastroenterology and Renal Divisions, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Nat Med 9:964-8. 2003..we provide molecular evidence for Smad-dependent reversal of TGF-beta1-induced EMT by BMP-7 in renal tubular epithelial cells and mammary ductal epithelial cells...
- Epithelial to mesenchymal transition and peritoneal membrane failure in peritoneal dialysis patients: pathologic significance and potential therapeutic interventionsLuiz S Aroeira
Unidad de Biologia Molecular, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, C Diego de Leon 62, Madrid, Spain
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2004-13. 2007....
- Exploring long-term protection of normal human fibroblasts and epithelial cells from chemotherapy in cell culturePasha Apontes
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Oncotarget 2:222-33. 2011....
- p63 Is essential for the proliferative potential of stem cells in stratified epitheliaMakoto Senoo
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 129:523-36. 2007..We demonstrate that p63 is strongly expressed in epithelial cells with high clonogenic and proliferative capacity and that stem cells lacking p63 undergo a premature ..
- Parallels between tissue repair and embryo morphogenesisPaul Martin
Department of Physiology, University of Bristol, School of Medical Sciences, University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TD, UK
Development 131:3021-34. 2004..In the embryo, both morphogenesis and repair are achieved with a perfect end result, whereas repair of adult tissues leads to scarring. We discuss whether this may be due to the adult inflammatory response, which is absent in the embryo...
- NF-kappaB is essential for epithelial-mesenchymal transition and metastasis in a model of breast cancer progressionMargit A Huber
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Ulm University, Albert Einstein Allee 11, D 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Clin Invest 114:569-81. 2004..Inhibition of NF-kappaB signaling prevented EMT in Ras-transformed epithelial cells, while activation of this pathway promoted the transition to a mesenchymal phenotype even in the absence of ..
- Rac1b and reactive oxygen species mediate MMP-3-induced EMT and genomic instabilityDerek C Radisky
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nature 436:123-7. 2005..Here we explain the molecular pathways by which MMP-3 exerts these effects: exposure of mouse mammary epithelial cells to MMP-3 induces the expression of an alternatively spliced form of Rac1, which causes an increase in ..
- Normal and neoplastic nonstem cells can spontaneously convert to a stem-like stateChristine L Chaffer
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7950-5. 2011..Here we identify a subpopulation of basal-like human mammary epithelial cells that departs from that assumption, spontaneously dedifferentiating into stem-like cells...
- TGF-beta1 induces human alveolar epithelial to mesenchymal cell transition (EMT)Hidenori Kasai
Teijin Biomedical Laboratory, Medical Research Council Technology, 1 3 Burtonhole Lane, London, NW7 1AD, UK
Respir Res 6:56. 2005..We examined whether the potent fibrogenic cytokine TGF-beta1 could induce epithelial mesenchymal transition (EMT) in the human alveolar epithelial cell line, A549, and investigated the signaling pathway of TGF-beta1-mediated EMT...
- The miR-200 family inhibits epithelial-mesenchymal transition and cancer cell migration by direct targeting of E-cadherin transcriptional repressors ZEB1 and ZEB2Manav Korpal
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
J Biol Chem 283:14910-4. 2008..a well established in vitro EMT assay: transforming growth factor-beta-induced EMT in NMuMG murine mammary epithelial cells. We found that members of the miR-200 family, organized as two clusters in the genome, were repressed during ..
- Role of acinetobactin-mediated iron acquisition functions in the interaction of Acinetobacter baumannii strain ATCC 19606T with human lung epithelial cells, Galleria mellonella caterpillars, and miceJennifer A Gaddy
Department of Microbiology, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, USA
Infect Immun 80:1015-24. 2012..study, we determined that the initial interaction of the ATCC 19606(T) type strain with A549 human alveolar epithelial cells is independent of the production of BasD and BauA, proteins needed for acinetobactin biosynthesis and ..
- IL-22 is increased in active Crohn's disease and promotes proinflammatory gene expression and intestinal epithelial cell migrationStephan Brand
Department of Medicine II, University Hospital Munich Grosshadern, University of Munich, Germany
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G827-38. 2006..expression, signal transduction, and specific biological functions of this cytokine system in intestinal epithelial cells (IEC). Expression studies were performed by RT-PCR...
- Senescence-associated secretory phenotypes reveal cell-nonautonomous functions of oncogenic RAS and the p53 tumor suppressorJean Philippe Coppe
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California, USA
PLoS Biol 6:2853-68. 2008..Remarkably similar SASPs developed in normal fibroblasts, normal epithelial cells, and epithelial tumor cells after genotoxic stress in culture, and in epithelial tumor cells in vivo after ..
- Autophagy controls Salmonella infection in response to damage to the Salmonella-containing vacuoleCheryl L Birmingham
Infection, Immunity, Injury and Repair Program, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:11374-83. 2006..Our findings support a role for autophagy in innate immunity and demonstrate that Salmonella infection is a powerful model to study the autophagy process...
- Acquisition of epithelial-mesenchymal transition phenotype of gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic cancer cells is linked with activation of the notch signaling pathwayZhiwei Wang
Department of Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Cancer Res 69:2400-7. 2009....
- Systemic spread is an early step in breast cancerYves Hüsemann
Department of Pathology, Division of Oncogenomics, University of Regensburg, Regensburg 93053, Germany
Cancer Cell 13:58-68. 2008..Therefore, release from dormancy of early-disseminated cancer cells may frequently account for metachronous metastasis...
- Evidence that fibroblasts derive from epithelium during tissue fibrosisMasayuki Iwano
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
J Clin Invest 110:341-50. 2002..As a general mechanism, this change in fate highlights the potential plasticity of differentiated cells in adult tissues under pathologic conditions...
- Snail blocks the cell cycle and confers resistance to cell deathSonia Vega
Instituto Cajal, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cieutificas, 28002 Madrid, Spain
Genes Dev 18:1131-43. 2004The Snail zinc-finger transcription factors trigger epithelial-mesenchymal transitions (EMTs), endowing epithelial cells with migratory and invasive properties during both embryonic development and tumor progression...
- Transforming properties of YAP, a candidate oncogene on the chromosome 11q22 ampliconMichael Overholtzer
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:12405-10. 2006..In nontransformed mammary epithelial cells, overexpression of human YAP induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition, suppression of apoptosis, growth ..
- Correction of the F508del-CFTR protein processing defect in vitro by the investigational drug VX-809Fredrick Van Goor
Vertex Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:18843-8. 2011..In cultured human bronchial epithelial cells isolated from patients with CF homozygous for F508del, VX-809 improved F508del-CFTR processing in the ..
- The bimodal lifestyle of intracellular Salmonella in epithelial cells: replication in the cytosol obscures defects in vacuolar replicationPreeti Malik-Kale
Salmonella Host Cell Interactions Section, Laboratory of Intracellular Parasites, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, Montana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e38732. 2012Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium invades and proliferates within epithelial cells. Intracellular bacteria replicate within a membrane bound vacuole known as the Salmonella containing vacuole...
- Lineage analysis of basal epithelial cells reveals their unexpected plasticity and supports a cell-of-origin model for prostate cancer heterogeneityZhu A Wang
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Cell Biol 15:274-83. 2013..We now show that initiation of prostate tumours in basal or luminal epithelial cells in mouse models results in tumours with distinct molecular signatures that are predictive of human patient ..
- A biphasic innate immune MAPK response discriminates between the yeast and hyphal forms of Candida albicans in epithelial cellsDavid L Moyes
Department of Oral Medicine, Pathology, and Immunology, King s College London Dental Institute, King s College London, London, UK
Cell Host Microbe 8:225-35. 2010..We demonstrate that oral epithelial cells orchestrate an innate response to C. albicans via NF-κB and a biphasic MAPK response...
- Interactions between periodontal bacteria and human oral epithelial cells: Fusobacterium nucleatum adheres to and invades epithelial cellsY W Han
Department of Oral Biology, School of Dental Medicine, and State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
Infect Immun 68:3140-6. 2000Bacteria are causative agents of periodontal diseases. Interactions between oral bacteria and gingival epithelial cells are essential aspects of periodontal infections...
- Salmonella takes control: effector-driven manipulation of the hostEmma J McGhie
University of Cambridge, Department of Pathology, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QP, UK
Curr Opin Microbiol 12:117-24. 2009..This allows Salmonella to invade non-phagocytic epithelial cells, establish and maintain an intracellular replicative niche and, in some cases, disseminate to cause systemic ..
- Sex hormone regulation of innate immunity in the female reproductive tract: the role of epithelial cells in balancing reproductive potential with protection against sexually transmitted pathogensCharles R Wira
Department of Physiology, Dartmouth Medical School, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 63:544-65. 2010..that estradiol and progesterone secreted during the menstrual cycle act both directly and indirectly on epithelial cells and other immune cells in the reproductive tract to modify immune function in a way that is unique to ..
- Human intestinal epithelial cells promote the differentiation of tolerogenic dendritic cellsI D Iliev
Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, 20141 Milan, Italy
Gut 58:1481-9. 2009..Further, it was recently described that the cross-talk between human intestinal epithelial cells (IECs) and DCs helps in maintaining gut immune homeostasis via the induction of non-inflammatory DCs...
- Phenotypic characterization of human colorectal cancer stem cellsPiero Dalerba
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:10158-63. 2007..mice was restricted to a minority subpopulation of epithelial cell adhesion molecule (EpCAM)(high)/CD44+ epithelial cells. Tumors originated from EpCAM(high)/CD44+ cells maintained a differentiated phenotype and reproduced the full ..
- Rescue of CF airway epithelial cell function in vitro by a CFTR potentiator, VX-770Fredrick Van Goor
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, 11010 Torreyana Road, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18825-30. 2009..These results support the hypothesis that pharmacological agents that restore or increase CFTR function can rescue epithelial cell function in human CF airway...
- Periostin secreted by epithelial ovarian carcinoma is a ligand for alpha(V)beta(3) and alpha(V)beta(5) integrins and promotes cell motilityLindsay Gillan
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cancer Res 62:5358-64. 2002..Purified recombinant PN supports adhesion of ovarian epithelial cells that can be inhibited by monoclonal antibodies against alpha(V)beta(3) or alpha(V)beta(5) integrin, but not ..
- Hypoxia promotes fibrogenesis in vivo via HIF-1 stimulation of epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitionDebra F Higgins
Department of Medicine, Renal Electrolyte and Hypertension Division, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3810-20. 2007..adaptation to hypoxia, in the development of fibrosis in mice, we inactivated Hif-1alpha in primary renal epithelial cells and in proximal tubules of kidneys subjected to unilateral ureteral obstruction (UUO) using Cre-loxP-mediated ..
- Carole R Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2016..the SP-A promoter in lung tissues and cells of fetal and neonatal mice and in human fetal lung explants and epithelial cells during type II cell differentiation in culture...
- Prevention of Acute Lung Injury by IL-6 activated STAT3Ana Moran; Fiscal Year: 2010..by T/HS and normalized by IL-6-activated Stat3 were genes encoding proteins that are known to be expressed by epithelial cells-Glp1r, Pik3r1 and Lcn2-as well as genes encoding proteins- Gzmb and Prf1-that are expressed by neutrophils, ..
- VINCENT COLLINS OFUKA NJAR; Fiscal Year: 2014..ATRA is required for the appropriate cellular differentiation of normal human breast epithelial cells. In a 12-year prospective study of 208 postmenopausal women operated on for breast cancer, it was recently ..
- Hydrodynamic forces modulate renal tubular functionRajeev Rohatgi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Renal tubular epithelial cells respond to hydrodynamic forces associated with increases in urine flow rate, such as laminar shear stress (..
- RODNEY JON SCHLOSSER; Fiscal Year: 2014..SOD and/or CAT and a targeting antibody (Ab) to mucin 1 (MUC1), which binds to the luminal surface of airway epithelial cells. Our preliminary studies demonstrate that HSNECs play a critical role in modulating the inflammatory response ..
- Maria Diakonova; Fiscal Year: 2014..Normal and tumor mammary epithelial cells synthesize PRL and PRLR, thus the PRL could behave as an autocrine growth factor for human breast cancer ..
- Regulation of epithelial cell homeostasis by actin microfilamentsSeema Khurana; Fiscal Year: 2010..Intestinal epithelial cells have a high rate of cell turnover accompanied by an equally high rate of apoptosis...
- Hepcidin-based screening for infantile iron deficiencyMark D Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hepcidin negatively regulates the egress of iron from cells, particularly duodenal intestinal epithelial cells, where iron is absorbed into the body, and macrophages, which recycle iron from effete RBCs...
- Pathobiology of Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetes in a Ferret ModelZoe Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will determine if CFTR-mediated bicarbonate (HCO3-) secretion by the pancreatic duct and/or duodenal epithelial cells is reduced, and if so, how this impacts CFRD phenotypic severity...
- Genomics of Antiviral Responses of Anopheles gambiae Against O'nyong-nyong VirusYoung S Hong; Fiscal Year: 2010..techniques, 1) laser capture microdissection (LCM) for RNA and protein extraction from virus-infected midgut epithelial cells, 2) 60- mer oligo-microarrays, and 3) iTRAQ", a quantitative proteomics analysis...
- Role for Na,K-ATPase in Nucleoplasmic Calcium HomeostasisCraig Gatto; Fiscal Year: 2010..In kidney and intestinal epithelial cells the Na,K-ATPase is strictly delivered to the basolateral membrane providing directional uptake of Na and ..
- Scott J Hultgren; Fiscal Year: 2015..FimH, the type 1 pilus adhesin mediates UPEC colonization and invasion of human and murine bladder epithelial cells (BECs)...
- UBALDO EMILIO MARTINEZ OUTSCHOORN; Fiscal Year: 2016..It has recently been discovered that metabolic coupling with high mitochondrial metabolism in epithelial cells with low metabolism in the stroma is associated with antiestrogen resistance...
- Unbiased genome-wide screen to identify genes regulating mucous cell hyperplasiaJeffrey A Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mouse and human Respiratory Epithelial Cells (RECs) will be engineered with genes indicating the activity of a genetic network controlled by Spdef (Sam ..
- FOXP3-microRNA146-NFkB Axis in Tumor SuppressionLizhong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since lineage-specific ablation of FoxP3 in the mouse prostate epithelial cells leads to prostate hyperplasia and prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia, this mechanism should have a ..
- PHILIPPE ANDRE GALLAY; Fiscal Year: 2014..interrupts an ongoing T cell infection;iv) prevents transmigration of HIV through primary human genital epithelial cells;v) blocks infection of dendritic and Langerhans cells ex vivo (skin tissues);vi) prevents HIV transfer from ..
- Therapeutic Effect of a Novel Antioxidant on Degenerative Eye DisordersNuran Ercal; Fiscal Year: 2012..studies have shown that intraperitoneal NACA reduces cataract formation while application of NACA to retinal epithelial cells prevents loss of cell viability...
- CPG METHYLATION AND MUTATIONGerd P Pfeifer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using cell culture models, we will expose non-transformed human cells (fibroblasts, bronchial epithelial cells and mammary epithelial cells) to several chemical carcinogens...
- Targeting AP-1 proteins in COPDSEKHAR M POTHIREDDY; Fiscal Year: 2010..studies, we found that, over time, genetic disruption of the c-Jun/AP-1 transcription factor in type II epithelial cells causes enlargement of the alveolar air spaces and lung inflammation, which are cardinal features of emphysema...
- DAVID MARSHALL GUIDOT; Fiscal Year: 2014..models also decreases glutathione levels and impairs alveolar epithelial function, and treatment of lung epithelial cells with the HIV-1-related protein gp120 inhibits Nrf2 expression...
- Intracellular Serpin Regulation of Intestinal Cell NecrosisGARY ARTHUR SILVERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recently, we identified a subset of serpins that are abundantly expressed within the cytoplasm of metazoan epithelial cells, including those of the mammalian gastrointestinal tract...
- Role of the neurogenic inflammatory pathway in the genital tract immune responseRoger G Rank; Fiscal Year: 2010..Substance P may directly stimulate immune and epithelial cells via the neurokinin-1 receptor, causing the release of proinflammatory cytokines and IFN-? and activation of ..
- Epithelial differentiation in corneaBogi Andersen; Fiscal Year: 2012..Clim2, a member of this gene family, is highly expressed in epithelial cells, including epithelial cells of the limbal and central cornea...
- Heather L Francis; Fiscal Year: 2015..Cholangiocytes are epithelial cells lining the bile ducts and are responsible for the modification and release of bile into the duodenum...
- MECHANISMS OF MILK LIPID SECRETIONJAMES LEWIS MCMANAMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..and cholesterol ester containing droplets (cytoplasmic lipid droplets -CLD) to the apical membrane of mammary epithelial cells where they are secreted by unique membrane budding mechanism...
- Tatiana Efimova; Fiscal Year: 2014..both in a keratinocyte cell autonomous manner, by regulating survival and proliferation of neoplastic epithelial cells, and in a non- cell autonomous manner, by mediating tumor promoting signals emanating from the immune (..
- Folate Status, Genomic Uracil, and the Balance of Base Excision Repair ActivityMichael D Wyatt; Fiscal Year: 2011..DNA glycosylases during folate depletion causes chromosomal instability, which is procarcinogenic to normal epithelial cells and anticarcinogenic to established adenocarcinoma cells...
- Anti-Bacterial Innate Responses Enhance Paramyxovirus ReplicationGriffith D Parks; Fiscal Year: 2010..or with Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus) and determine the viral replication potential in immune and epithelial cells exposed to bacterial biofilms or biofilm-derived components...
- Dependency of O-3 Induced Lung Mucus Hypersecretion on NQ01W Michael Foster; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have also found that NQO1 can modulate synthesis of mucin proteins by airway epithelial cells in vitro;and in connection with host-factor dependency, that NQO1 is differentially expressed in mouse models ..
- Prolactin as a Growth Factor in Breast CancerNira Ben-Jonathan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Within the breast, stromal adipocytes produce significantly more PRL than epithelial cells, and both are under tonic inhibition...
- SUSAN F KEAY; Fiscal Year: 2016..Explanted BPS/IC bladder epithelial cells also have decreased proliferation in vitro along with the same abnormal proteoglycan and protein expression ..
- Novel CTD inhibitors with synthetic lethality to oncogenic Ras for cancer therapyBingliang Fang; Fiscal Year: 2013..and identified a compound (designated oncrasin-1) that kills immortalized and tumorigenic human ovarian epithelial cells expressing oncogenic K-Ras but not their isogenic normal counterparts...
- Role of Endocytosis and Vesicular Trafficking in Podocyte Health and Filter IntegPuneet Garg; Fiscal Year: 2012..or specialized intercellular junction that lies between the interdigitating foot processes of the visceral epithelial cells (podocyte)...
- Colitis Induced by immune responses to luminal bacteria-mouseRyan B Sartor; Fiscal Year: 2012..that promote intestinal epithelial cell adherence, invasion and resistance to intracellular killing within epithelial cells and macrophages, or 2) Genetically determined host innate defects in bacterial killing and mucosal barrier ..
- KATHERINE JULIA KELLY; Fiscal Year: 2014..with upregulation of ICAM-1 and LOX-1 both in vivo in diabetes/obesity and in vitro in cultured renal tubular epithelial cells exposed to proinflammatory lipids...
- Mechanisms of innate immune response modulation by mechanical ventilationWilliam A Altemeier; Fiscal Year: 2012..cells and (b) measuring response to TLR ligands and ventilation in transgenic mice in which distal lung epithelial cells have an isolated defect in downstream TLR signaling pathways...
- Arnold Louie; Fiscal Year: 2014..In Specific Aim #3, we developed a completely novel in vitro system with human proximal renal tubular epithelial cells (hPRTE cells) allowing generation of a concentration-time profile for any amino/neoglycoside that mimics the ..
- Claire Larmonier; Fiscal Year: 2014..These data collectively suggests that the pathogenic role of Parp1 in colitis is restricted to either colonic epithelial cells or other cells of the innate immune system...
- Linda J Kenney; Fiscal Year: 2016..Genes that reside on Salmonella Pathogenicity Island-1 (SPI-1) enable Salmonella to adhere to and invade epithelial cells, whereas SPI-2 genes are required for systemic infection...
- Bingmei M Fu; Fiscal Year: 2014..microscopy to determine the adhesion rates of normal, non-malignant (MCF-10A), and malignant (AU-565) breast epithelial cells in straight and curved/stretched microvessels on rat mesentery under known bulk flow rates and a) under ..
- Leonard H Augenlicht; Fiscal Year: 2015..the role of IL12 in mediating an important regulatory cross-talk between macrophages and colon tumor epithelial cells, and our data that this cytokine is elevated by the NWD1, but that this is prevented by elevating calcium and ..
- NOX1 and NOX2 as Therapeutic Targets in InfluenzaJOHN DAVID LAMBETH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such pathogenic changes include disruptions in alveolar fluid transport, apoptosis of alveolar epithelial cells, an infiltration/destruction of lung tissue by neutrophils and monocytes...
- Cong Yan; Fiscal Year: 2014..laboratory that over-expresses STAT3C (the constitutively active form of STAT3) in alveolar type II (AT II) epithelial cells. In sequential steps, Stat3C over-expression promoted inflammation and adenocarcinoma in the lung with a high ..
- Vincent W Yang; Fiscal Year: 2016..with important functions in regulating proliferation, differentiation, migration and apoptosis of colonic epithelial cells. Examples of changes that lead to CRC include amplification, silencing, and activating or inactivating ..
- THE EFFECT OF DIOXINS ON GLUCOSE HOMEOSTASIS IN MURINE TESTESKENAN RIFAT OMURTAG; Fiscal Year: 2013..the AhR receptor, also known as the "dioxin receptor," may play a role in decreased glucose utilization in epithelial cells in various other tissues of the body...
- James E Gern; Fiscal Year: 2016..research goals, this project will serve as a source of extensively characterized clinical specimens (airway epithelial cells, clinical isolates of rhinoviruses) that will enable mechanistic studies to define host-virus interactions ..
- TNF Family Members and Control of Fibrotic DiseaseMichael Croft; Fiscal Year: 2013..Collagen deposition is thought mediated by deregulation of epithelial cells, macrophages, and fibroblasts, and inflammatory cells such as Th2 cells and eosinophils may play roles in ..
- MIF AND THE HOST RESPONSE TO INFECTIONRICHARD J BUCALA; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will characterize the MIF-dependent responses of human monocytes and alveolar epithelial cells stimulated by TLR ligands that are representative of diverse microbial pathogens...
- Novel Therapeutic Targets in Necrotizing EnterocolitisPeter J Giannone; Fiscal Year: 2012..These studies will use relevant human fetal intestinal epithelial cells, animal models of newborn intestinal injury and specimens from the non-necrotic resection margins of human ..
- Characterization of IL36, a novel cytokineAlbert Zlotnik; Fiscal Year: 2012..Besides leukocytes, IL36 is also expressed in mucosal tissues, and in the skin, suggesting that epithelial cells also express it...
- Studies on the virulence of Fillifactor alocisHansel M Fletcher; Fiscal Year: 2013..There was an increase in adherence and invasion of epithelial cells in co-culture compared with P. gingivalis or F. alocis mono-cultures...
- Robert Paine; Fiscal Year: 2016..Injury or disruption of normal function in alveolar epithelial cells (AEC) has important consequences for pulmonary gas exchange (resulting in acute lung injury), for determining ..
- THEA NOREEN GOLDEN; Fiscal Year: 2015..is increased via upregulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) expression in leukocytes and epithelial cells. Simultaneous increased activity of oxidant producing enzymes, leads to pathologic conversion of bioactive NO ..
- JONATHAN JAMES HANSEN; Fiscal Year: 2014..coli gadAB expression inhibits movement of bacteria across intestinal epithelial cells, and 3) Study how E. coli GadAB promote bacterial survival within, and antigen processing by, macrophages...
- David C Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2016..Lab strains of HCMV (propagated long term on fibroblasts) express only gH/gL/gO. When we transduced epithelial cells to cause expression of gH/gL/UL128-131, HCMV entry into the cells was blocked...
- REGULATION OF CXC CHEMOKINE EXPRESSION BY H. PYLORIYoshio Yamaoka; Fiscal Year: 2013..PAI) are involved in disease pathogenesis based on their ability to induce interleukin (IL)-8 in gastric epithelial cells. Our long term goal is to understand the role(s) of OipA, alone and together with the cag PAI, in the ..
- ROLE OF MUC1 IN THE GENESIS OF ALLERGIC ASTHMAKwang Chul Kim; Fiscal Year: 2010..highly expressed in various cancer cells and its expression has also been shown in various normal epithelial cells as well as hematopoietic cells...
- Caveolins in the Pathogenesis of Idiopathic Pulmonary FibrosisDan N Predescu; Fiscal Year: 2010..disease caused by unidentified endogenous or environmental stimuli that disrupt the normal alveolar epithelial cells homeostasis (the onset), followed-on by the diffuse activation of the alveolar epithelium (as a gateway for ..
- Nahid F Mivechi; Fiscal Year: 2016..2) determine the impact of hsf1 deficiency on mammary tumorigenesis when hsf1 is specifically deleted from epithelial cells before, or after, the initiation of tumorigenesis...
- Jordan A Kreidberg; Fiscal Year: 2014..tubules of the kidney;(2) enhanced fluid secretion into tubular lumina;(3) abnormality in the interaction of epithelial cells with their underlying basement membrane (cell-matrix adhesion) or with each other (cell-cell adhesion); (4) ..
- James F George; Fiscal Year: 2016..The hypothesis of this renewal application is that heme oxygenase-1 induction in renal epithelial cells is a protective response in acute kidney injury and occurs through interaction of an intronic enhancer with ..
- Validation of a multi-gene test for lung cancer riskJames C Willey; Fiscal Year: 2010..studies we reported that key antioxidant and DNA repair genes are regulated differently in normal bronchial epithelial cells (NBEC) of lung cancer cases compared to non-lung cancer controls...
- Repair of Airway Epithelium Following Chlorine Lung InjuryGary W Hoyle; Fiscal Year: 2011..Chlorine, like many pulmonary toxicants, produces injury to epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract...
- Adhesion of Leptospira interrogans to Human Cell Surface ReceptorsJenifer L Coburn; Fiscal Year: 2010..are to 1) Analyze the importance of proteoglycans in Leptospira interrogans attachment to proximal tubule epithelial cells, 2) Identify the non-proteoglycan mammalian cell surface receptor(s) for L...
- DIETARY & GENETIC CONTROL OF ROS DAMAGE TO THE LENSNorman S Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings in ARC of detachment of the lens epithelial cells (LEC) from the lens surface and migration to the interior at abnormal sites, with bits of nuclear DNA, free ..
- Macrolide Accumulation by Host Cells in the GingivaJohn D Walters; Fiscal Year: 2010..actinomycetemomitans and P. gingivalis. The ability of these pathogens to invade epithelial cells and phagocytes makes them difficult to eliminate by conventional scaling and root planing alone...
- SEGMENTATION AND PATTERNING IN DROSOPHILAEric Wieschaus; Fiscal Year: 2000..proposed in this application is to understand how complex patterns of cell differentiation are established in epithelial cells during Drosophila embryonic development...
- Mucus Penetrating Nanoparticles for Vaginal Drug DeliveryJustin Hanes; Fiscal Year: 2009..hypothesis is that mucus-penetrating particles decorated with cell-adhesion molecules will reach and bind to epithelial cells with high efficiency, and will persist in place until the epithelial cells are shed, a much slower process ..
- AIDS ASSOCIATED LEUKOPLAKIA--ROLE OF EBVNancy Raab Traub; Fiscal Year: 2004EBV is detected in epithelial cells in a unique oral lesion known as "hairy" leukoplakia (HLP), which is a harbinger for the development of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)...
- MUCOSAL DEFENSE MECHANISMS IN SUBSTANCE ABUSEDavid R Brown; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the intestinal tract, the first line of defense against pathogenic microorganisms is the layer of epithelial cells that line its extensive mucosal surface...
- Breast Adipose Participates to Bioactivate Vitamin D and Inhibit Breast CancerGlendon M Zinser; Fiscal Year: 2010..which accounts for ~80% of the breast, to vitamin D3 synthesis, signaling, and growth inhibition of mammary epithelial cells has yet to be investigated...
- Creation of adult epithelial stem cells from differentiated epithelialRobert A Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..For this purpose, we intend to develop a cocktail of signaling agents that can be applied to differentiated epithelial cells in order to reprogram them to lineage-committed epithelial stem cells...
- Counter-Regulation of TLR-Driven Mucosal InflammationErik P Lillehoj; Fiscal Year: 2010..mechanisms leading to lung dysfunction in CF patients remain to be clarified, PA binding to respiratory epithelial cells in the initial stages of infection and later becoming trapped within mucus plugs are important factors in the ..
- REGULATION OF AUTOREACTIVE T CELLS IN IL10 KNOCKOUT MICEPeter Ernst; Fiscal Year: 1999..Moreover during inflammation, epithelial cells express an array of surface molecules that are recognized by T cells and may enhance T cell activation and ..
- INDUCIBLE PLURIPOTENT STEM CELLS AND KIDNEY REGENERATIONJOSEPH VINCENT BONVENTRE; Fiscal Year: 2010..Currently, there are no existing protocols to generate renal epithelial cells from human iPS cells, embryonic stem (ES) cells, or any other cell type...
- CHOLESTEROL TRANSPORT IN GALLBLADDER EPITHELIAL CELLSRahul Kuver; Fiscal Year: 2003Gallbladder epithelial cells and cholangiocytes are exposed to high concentrations of cholesterol because the major pathway of cholesterol excretion from the body is through bile...
- Vitamin D induction of antibacterial activity in gingival cellsGill Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2009..Production of both classes of peptides is increased in gingival epithelial cells (GEC) by live bacteria and by bacterial products, suggesting the potential for modulating levels of these ..
- IMPAIRED TUMOR IMMUNITY DURING H PYLORI INFECTIONVICTOR REYES; Fiscal Year: 2003..Recent studies have suggested that mucosal epithelial cells are active participants in immune responses to mucosal pathogens...