Summary: Large veins on either side of the root of the neck formed by the junction of the internal jugular and subclavian veins. They drain blood from the head, neck, and upper extremities, and unite to form the superior vena cava.
Publications157 found, 100 shown here
- Reversal of pulmonary hypertension after ligation of a brachiocephalic arteriovenous fistulaMichael Robert Clarkson
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 40:E8. 2002..The clinical presentation, investigation, management, and pathophysiology of this complication are discussed...
- Endovascular management of central venous stenoses in the hemodialysis patient: results of percutaneous therapyScott M Surowiec
Center for Vascular Disease, Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 38:349-54. 2004..Angiographic evidence of central venous stenosis was present in 35 patients (18%) (superior vena cava 5, brachiocephalic veins 14, and subclavian veins 18). Follow-up averaged 873 days from the date of initial intervention...
- Secondary endovascular repair of a reconstructed superior vena cava in a patient with a malignant thymic epithelial neoplasmN Charokopos
First Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, AHEPA Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54636, Greece
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 55:267-70. 2007..Endovascular repair was performed with the deployment of self-expanding nitinol stents, resulting in immediate relief of symptoms. The stented graft has remained patent for a follow-up period of 7 months...
- Long-term graft patency after replacement of the brachiocephalic veins combined with resection of mediastinal tumorsYasushi Shintani
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, E1, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:809-12. 2005We sought to investigate the correlation between type of vascular reconstruction and long-term graft patency after replacement of brachiocephalic veins combined with resection of mediastinal malignancies.
- Thromboembolic disease involving the superior vena cava and brachiocephalic veinsTodd R Otten
St Joseph Mercy Oakland, Pontiac, MI 48341, USA
Chest 123:809-12. 2003..To evaluate the frequency of diagnosis and the characteristics of brachiocephalic vein and superior vena cava (SVC) thromboembolic disease...
- Brachiocephalic vein thrombus of papillary thyroid cancer: report of a caseEisuke Koike
Noguchi Thyroid Clinic and Hospital Foundation, Beppu, Oita, Japan
Surg Today 32:59-62. 2002..We herein report our case, review the literature, and discuss the associated diagnostic problems and treatments including such areas as age, gender, symptoms, pathology, extension, and outcome...
- Thyroid carcinoma with extensive tumor thrombus in the atriumYuko Yamagami
Department of Surgery, Osaka Police Hospital, 10 31 Kitayama cho, Tennoji ku, Osaka 543 0035, Japan
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:555-8. 2008..Patients with an extensive tumor thrombus generally have poor prognoses and high mortality. This patient has been followed for 7 months after successful operation without recurrence...
- Percutaneous trans-jugular mechanical thrombectomy for the treatment of thrombosed upper arm fistulasJose Garcia Medina
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:2872-3. 2005
- Cephalic arch stenosisKaveh Kian
Denver Nephrology, Denver, Colorado, USA
Semin Dial 21:78-82. 2008..This article discusses the anatomy, postulated etiology and percutaneous interventions for the treatment of CAS. In addition, the report highlights surgical alternatives to the management of stenosis in this segment of the cephalic vein...
- The two-stage brachial artery-brachial vein autogenous fistula for hemodialysis: an alternative autogenous option for hemodialysis accessNiren Angle
UCSD Section of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, UCSD School of Medicine, San Diego, Calif 92103 8403, USA
J Vasc Surg 42:806-10. 2005..Arm swelling and steal have not been a problem, and all patients have been able to have full dialysis through the fistula after appropriate maturation times...
- What should nephrologists know about hand ischemia?Arif Asif
Interventional Nephrology, Division of Nephrology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Semin Dial 20:465-74. 2007
- Salvaging and maintaining non-maturing Brescia-Cimino haemodialysis fistulae by percutaneous interventionH H Song
Department of Radiology, Halla Hospital, Yeon dong, Jeju, Jeju do, South Korea
Clin Radiol 61:404-9. 2006..To report our experience of the salvage of non-maturing Brescia-Cimino dialysis fistulae by percutaneous intervention...
- Venous congestion of the breast mimicking inflammatory breast cancer: case report and review of literatureCraig Blum
Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Breast J 14:97-101. 2008..We review the literature and present a clinical case of a patient presenting with features concerning for inflammatory breast cancer, but in fact were the result of dialysis access related venous congestion of the breast...
- Intermediate-term patency of upper arm arteriovenous fistulae for hemodialysis access in childrenRamanath N Haricharan
Division of Pediatric Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:147-51. 2008..The goal of this study was to estimate the 2-year cumulative thrombosis-free survival of basilic vein transposition (BVT) and brachiocephalic fistulae in children...
- Creation of secondary AV fistulas from failed hemodialysis grafts: the role of routine vein mappingV D Nguyen
Memorial Nephrology Associates, Olympia, Washington 98506, USA
J Vasc Access 8:91-6. 2007..This success rate demonstrates the value of vein selection by vascular mapping prior to graft failure and early vascular access planning in the successful creation of secondary AVF...
- Central venous stenosis in haemodialysis patients without a previous history of catheter placementLevent Oguzkurt
Baskent University, Adana Teaching and Medical Research Centre, Department of Radiology, Adana, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 55:237-42. 2005..To evaluate dialysis history, imaging findings and outcome of endovascular treatment in six patients with central venous stenosis without a history of previous catheter placement...
- The natural history of autologous fistulas as first-time dialysis access in the KDOQI eraAndre Biuckians
Division of Vascular Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:415-21; discussion 420-1. 2008..The purpose of this study is to determine the natural history of AVF in patients requiring first-time permanent access in a large academic vascular surgery practice...
- Factors associated with unsuccessful utilization and early failure of the arterio-venous fistula for hemodialysisPietro Ravani
Division of Nephrology and Dialysis, Cremona, Italy
J Nephrol 18:188-96. 2005..We sought to determine whether fistulae created in patients referred to a nephrologist less than 3 months before dialysis start show higher risk of unsuccessful use and early failure...
- Cephalic arch stenosis in patients with fistula access for hemodialysis: relationship to diabetes and thrombosisMary Hammes
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, U S A
Hemodial Int 12:85-9. 2008..Diabetes was found to have a negative association with CAS for undefined reasons. Attempts to understand this relationship are important...
- Unilateral pleural effusions associated with stenoses of left brachiocephalic veins in haemodialysis patientsEnrique Morales Ruiz
Department of Nephrology, Hospital Universitario, Madrid, Spain
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:1257-9. 2005
- Central vein obstruction in vascular accessV Mickley
Department of Vascular Surgery, Kreiskrankenhaus Rastatt, Engelstrasse 39, D 76437, Germany
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:439-44. 2006..This article discusses the epidemiology and clinical features of central venous obstruction and the different surgical and interventional alternatives for its treatment...
- Prospective evaluation of factors associated with early failure of arteriovenous fistulae in hemodialysis patientsMohamed A Elsharawy
Vascular Unit, College of Medicine, King Faisal University, Dammam, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Vascular 14:70-4. 2006..Our data showed that intraoperative blood flow is a reliable parameter that determines the early failure of an AVF. Careful selection of the vein and the artery may reduce the rate of failure...
- Use of nitinol stents following recanalization of central venous occlusions in hemodialysis patientsDheeraj K Rajan
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Medical Imaging, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network University of Toronto, M5G 2N2, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:662-7. 2007..To retrospectively review the patency of endovascular interventions with nitinol stent placement for symptomatic central venous occlusions in hemodialysis patients...
- Early experiences of intraoperative ultrasound guided angioplasty of the arterial stenosis during upper limb arteriovenous fistula creationM Napoli
Nephrology, Dialysis and Renal Transplantation Unit, V Fazzi Hospital, Lecce, Italy
J Vasc Access 8:97-102. 2007..In our experience, stenting after IUTA does not add any other advantages...
- Intraoperative flow measurements are helpful in the treatment of high-inflow steal syndrome on a predialysis patient with a brachiocephalic fistula: a case reportEric S Chemla
St George s Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK
Ann Vasc Surg 21:645-7. 2007..We believe that inflow reduction might be superior to DRIL in treating steal syndrome caused by high inflow and that transit time ultrasound might be helpful when transonic treatment is not possible...
- Salvage of arteriovenous fistula by angioplasty of collateral veins establishing a new channelI Ahmad
American Access Care, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Vasc Access 8:123-5. 2007..This report describes a case of salvage of an upper arm fistula by repeated angioplasty of the collateral veins after the main out flow vein was occluded and could not be recanalyzed...
- Evaluation of the efficacy of the transposed upper arm arteriovenous fistula: a single institutional review of 190 basilic and cephalic vein transposition proceduresKaren Woo
Department of Surgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Vasc Surg 46:94-99; discussion 100. 2007..We then compared our tAVF patients with a cohort of upper arm arteriovenous grafts (AVG)...
- Long-term outcomes of primary angioplasty and primary stenting of central venous stenosis in hemodialysis patientsAndrew M Bakken
Center for Vascular Disease, Department of Surgery, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:776-83. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine the outcomes of primary angioplasty (PTA) vs primary stenting (PTS) in a dialysis access population at a tertiary referral academic medical center...
- Novel repair of venous aneurysms secondary to arteriovenous dialysis fistulaeGeorge E Pierce
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 41:55-60. 2007..Reduction aneurysmoplasty as described in this report offers an effective and low-risk option for the management of venous aneurysms secondary to arteriovenous fistulae in hemodialysis patients...
- Stent fracture in the left brachiocephalic veinMasamichi Wada
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Cardiovasc Revasc Med 8:103-6. 2007..At least 9 months after the stent-in-stent procedure, there has been no edema in his left arm. Therefore, stent-in-stent is one of the useful strategies for stent fracture in central venous obstruction...
- Central vein stenosis: a nephrologist's perspectiveAnil K Agarwal
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Semin Dial 20:53-62. 2007....
- Dialysis fistulae patency and preoperative diameter ultrasound measurementsE Korten
Department of Non Invasive Vascular Diagnostics, Vascular Centre, Saint Franciscus Hospital Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 33:467-71. 2007..This study was designed to investigate the possibility of defining a vascular diameter with a practical cut-off point, which predicts a successful patency for radiocephalic arteriovenous fistulae in dialysis patients...
- Efficient haemodialysis despite complete central venous thrombosisC Hecking
Department of Angiology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Vasa 35:243-4. 2006..In order to avoid deterioration of the haemodynamic situation interventions may be withheld unless clinical problems related to a diminished outflow occur...
- Does the surgeon's experience impact on radiocephalic fistula patency rates?Nicholas Fassiadis
South West Thames Surrey and Sussex Renal Transplant Unit, St George s Healthcare NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
Semin Dial 20:455-7. 2007..These results suggest that the placement of a RCF should be performed by the most experienced member of a team dedicated to vascular access creation or at least under his supervision...
- The importance of a dedicated vascular access teamDebasish Banerjee
St George s Healthcare NHS Trust, and St George s Hospital, University of London, London, UK
Semin Dial 20:458. 2007
- [Acute cardiac failure secondary to brachiocephalic arteriovenous fistula in patient on chronic haemodialysis]Anna Bednarek-Skublewska
Katedra i Klinika Nefrologii AM w Lublinie
Pol Arch Med Wewn 112:1221-7. 2004....
- Optic nerve edema: complication of peripheral hemodialysis shuntSusie Chang
Cole Eye Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 19:88-90. 2004..We report an unusual case of unilateral optic nerve edema secondary to a contralateral peripheral hemodialysis shunt...
- Determinants of failure of brachiocephalic elbow fistulas for haemodialysisC J Zeebregts
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 30:209-14. 2005..The aim of this study was to analyse the results of brachiocephalic fistulas for haemodialysis and to determine possible predictors of failure...
- Transposed brachiobasilic fistula or PTFE arm graft - alternative or complementary?J A Milburn
Department of Vascular Surgery, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, Scotland
J Vasc Access 9:117-21. 2008..Our primary aims were (1) to examine the patency of transposed brachiobasilic (TBB) fistulae compared to arm arteriovenous graft (AVG) without prior transposition, and (2) to examine the patency of AVG with and without prior transposition...
- [Venous stents]M Lutolf
Röntgeninstitut, Kantonsspital, Chur
Ther Umsch 60:204-10. 2003....
- A complication associated with central line removal in the pediatric population: retained fixed catheter fragmentsSarah A Jones
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Dalhousie University, IWK Health Center, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 38:594-6. 2003..However, there is no literature that describes the complications that occur at the time of removal of these lines...
- Incidence of central vein stenosis and occlusion following upper extremity PICC and port placementCarin F Gonsalves
Department of Radiology, Jefferson Medical College Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Suite 4200 Gibbon Building, 111 South 11th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 26:123-7. 2003....
- The reverse J arteriovenous graft configuration for hemodialysis access: rationale, technique, and outcomesDavid L Cull
Academic Department of Surgery, Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center, Greenville, South Carolina 29605, USA
Am Surg 74:620-4; discussion 624-5. 2008..Therefore, the reverse J configuration enhances the secondary patency of AV graft patency and AV access site longevity...
- Elbow fistulas using autogeneous vein: patency rates and results of revisionG J Murphy
University Department of Surgery, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK
Postgrad Med J 78:483-6. 2002..The provision and maintenance of vascular access remains a major cost to end stage renal failure programmes. There are few reports regarding the surgical revision of the failing native elbow arteriovenous fistula (AVF)...
- Autogeneous elbow fistulas: the effect of diabetes mellitus on maturation, patency, and complication ratesG J Murphy
Department of Surgery, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, U K
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 23:452-7. 2002....
- Comparison of venography and ultrasound for the diagnosis of asymptomatic deep vein thrombosis in the upper body in children: results of the PARKAA study. Prophylactic Antithrombin Replacement in Kids with ALL treated with AsparaginaseChristoph Male
The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thromb Haemost 87:593-8. 2002..A combination of both venography and ultrasound is required for screening for DVT in the upper venous system...
- Prevention of recurrent central venous stenosis using endovascular irradiation following stent placement in hemodialysis patientsP C Kwok
Department of Radiology and Imaging, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 24:400-6. 2001..Endovascular irradiation with a noncentering source does not prolong the patency after angioplasty and stenting of central venous stenosis in hemodialysis patients...
- External beam radiation therapy to prevent anastomotic intimal hyperplasia in prosthetic arteriovenous fistulas: results of a randomized trialRobert B van Tongeren
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 69:73-7. 2003..However, it did not result in less reinterventions or stenoses after radiation treatment of the venous anastomosis in polytetrafluoroethylene dialysis access...
- Impact of short-term hemodialysis catheters on the central veins: a catheter venographic studyLevent Oguzkurt
Department of Radiology, Adana Medical Center, Baskent University, Dadaloglu Mah 39 Sok No 6, Yuregir, Adana 01250, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 52:293-9. 2004..To determine the incidence of pericatheter sleeve formation, thrombus formation, and stenosis of the central veins in hemodialysis patients with temporary catheters...
- Intra-access blood flow in patients with newly created upper-arm arteriovenous native fistulae for hemodialysis accessAndrew I Chin
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 44:850-8. 2004..This single-center cohort study evaluated intra-access blood flow (Q AC) in 3 variants of newly created upper-arm fistulae...
- Brachial vein transposition arteriovenous fistula: is it an acceptable option for chronic dialysis vascular access?P J Torina
Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
J Vasc Access 9:39-44. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the midterm performance of brachial vein arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs) and to compare this performance with arteriovenous grafts (AVGs) and basilic vein transposition AVFs...
- Peripheral venous hypertension of the hand: a complication of a proximal radial artery arteriovenous fistulaJ E Anaya-Ayala
Division of Vascular Surgery, The Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Vasc Access 9:64-6. 2008..We briefly discuss this complication and considerations of its management in relation to the bidirectional PRAVF creation...
- Endovascular stent placement in the treatment of upper extremity central venous obstruction in hemodialysis patientsCuneyt Aytekin
Department of Radiology, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 49:81-5. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of stent placement for treating upper extremity central venous obstruction in chronic hemodialysis patients...
- Side-to-side arteriovenous fistula at the elbow with perforating vein ligationMajid Moini
Division of Vascular Surgery, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Vasc Surg 47:1274-8. 2008..This would also lesson the likelihood of arterial steal enabling a favorable outcome following a brachial artery medial antecubital or cephalic vein arterio-venous fistula (AVF)...
- Endovascular salvage of nonmaturing autogenous hemodialysis fistulas: comparison with endovascular therapy of failing mature fistulasHannu I Manninen
Department of Clinical Radiology, Kuopio University Hospital and Kuopio University, Puijonlaaksontie 2, FI 70210 KUOPIO, Finland
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:870-6. 2008....
- Patterns of relapse following radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer: implication for target volume delineationMuhammad Azrif
Department of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
Radiother Oncol 89:105-13. 2008..There are no standardized guidelines or consensus in target delineation for radiotherapy in thyroid cancer...
- Prosthetic axillary-axillary arteriovenous straight access (necklace graft) for difficult hemodialysis patients: a prospective single-center experienceMohamed A Morsy
South West Thames, Surrey and Sussex Renal Transplant Network, London, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 48:1251-4, 1254.e1. 2008..We describe our experience with this procedure in a series of patients...
- Cranial vena caval syndrome secondary to central venous obstruction associated with a pacemaker lead in a dogJennifer M Mulz
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14850, USA
J Vet Cardiol 12:217-23. 2010..the cranial vena cava and 3 additional suspected filling abnormalities within both external jugular veins, brachiocephalic veins and cranial vena cava...
- Endovascular treatment of malignant superior vena cava syndrome: is bilateral wallstent placement superior to unilateral placement?Hans Peter Dinkel
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Inselspital, University Hospital of Berne, Switzerland
J Endovasc Ther 10:788-97. 2003..To report our experience with unilateral versus bilateral stent placement in the treatment of malignant superior vena cava syndrome (SVCS)...
- Percutaneous stenting of superior vena cava syndrome: treatment outcome in patients with benign and malignant etiologyNeal R Barshes
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, and the Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Vascular 15:314-21. 2007..In contrast, bilateral kissing stents were deployed in 9 patients (16%), which extended from bilateral brachiocephalic veins to the proximal SVC...
- Detection of metastases to internal jugular vein and superior vena cava on 131-I scanArchi Agrawal
From the Radiation Medicine Center, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India and daggerDepartment of Radiology, Port Trust Hospital, Mumbai, India
Clin Nucl Med 34:934-5. 2009..which showed a heterogeneously enhancing thrombus in the right IJV, extending to the confluence of the brachiocephalic veins and into the superior vena cava (SVC). A nonenhancing thrombus was also seen in the right subclavian vein...
- Superior vena cava syndrome due to thrombotic occlusion in a thrombophilic renal transplant recipient: a case reportP Di Cocco
Transplant and Renal Failure Unit, Department of Surgery, University of L Aquila, Italy
Transplant Proc 42:1358-61. 2010..Imaging revealed thrombosis of the right internal jugular vein with extension along the confluence of the brachiocephalic veins and partial obstruction of the superior vena cava...
- The clinical anatomy of the internal thoracic veinsM Loukas
Department of Anatomical Sciences, St George s University, Grenada, West Indies
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 66:25-32. 2007..to form a single vein (one for the right side and one for the left) draining into the right and left brachiocephalic veins. The tributaries of ITVs corresponded to the branches of ITA...
- Intracardiac (superior vena cava/right atrial) ECGs using saline solution as the conductive medium for the proper positioning of the Shiley hemodialysis catheter: is it not time to forego [correction of forgo] the postinsertion chest radiograph?John E Madias
Division of Cardiology, Elmhurst Hospital Center, 79 01 Broadway, Elmhurst, NY 11373, USA
Chest 124:2363-7. 2003..The double-lumen Shiley central venous catheter (SCVC), inserted via the brachiocephalic veins, is often employed for HD, and it is customary to obtain a chest radiograph to ensure proper positioning ..
- Delayed treatment of a traumatic left subclavian artery pseudoaneurysmRandall W Franz
Vascular and Vein Center, Grant Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio 43325, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 42:482-5. 2008..The patient underwent emergent repair of the confluence of the right internal jugular, subclavian and brachiocephalic veins, and laparotomy secondary to compartment syndrome...
- Crohn's and Behçet's disease association presenting with superior vena cava thrombosisAydin Seref Koksal
Departments of Gastroenterology, Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Dig Dis Sci 50:1698-701. 2005..ultrasonography and computed tomography scan revealed bilateral thrombosis of the external jugular veins, brachiocephalic veins, and superior vena cava...
- [CT imaging study of anterior approaches to the upper thoracic spine]Yi Xing Huang
Department of Orthopaedics Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325000, Zhejiang, China
Zhongguo Gu Shang 22:685-7. 2009..This study is to investigate the exposure ranges of different anterior surgical approaches to the UTS for making the preoperative plan by means of CT images analysis...
- Outcome of simultaneous and staged microvascular free tissue transfer connected to arteriovenous loops in areas lacking recipient vesselsPeter M Vogt
Department of Plastic, Hand, and Reconstructive Surgery, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:1568-75. 2007..In this study, the authors analyzed whether the outcome differs when flaps were transferred simultaneously or subsequently after construction of arteriovenous loops...
- Intravascular uptake during fluoroscopically guided cervical interlaminar steroid injection at C6-7: a case reportMark S Kaplan
Department of Orthopaedics and Physical Rehabilitation, Worcester, MA 01605 2982, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:553-8. 2008..space and returns blood to the right atrium through the paired vertebral veins and right and left brachiocephalic veins. In all 4 cases, intravascular uptake occurred despite negative aspiration of blood before the contrast ..
- The clinical anatomy of the great veins of the neckHarold Ellis
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 71:M20-1. 2010..A detailed knowledge of the internal jugular, subclavian and brachiocephalic veins is therefore of considerable importance - especially their surface markings and the position of adjacent ..
- A novel percutaneously adjustable device for ligature of the vertical vein in the setting of obstructive totally anomalous pulmonary venous connectionUjjwal K Chowdhury
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Cardiothoracic Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Cardiol Young 17:380-6. 2007..We describe here a new device, permitting adjustable ligation of the vertical vein, which permits us to avoid multiple reoperations...
- Synchronous primary intrapulmonary and mediastinal thymoma--a case reportZuoqing Song
Department of Lung Cancer Surgery, Tianjin Key Laboratory of Lung Cancer Metastasis and Tumor Microenvironment, Tianjin Lung Cancer Institute, Tianjin Medical University General Hospital, Tianjin 300052, China
J Cardiothorac Surg 5:69. 2010..lobectomy of right lung were performed, with lymph Nodes clearance, superior vena cava, left and right brachiocephalic veins resection, reconstruction of left brachiocephalic vein to right auricle and reconstruction of right ..
- Radical operation for invasive thymoma with intracaval, intracardiac, and lung invasionYasuhiro Shudo
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Japan Labour Health and Welfare Organization, Osaka Rosai Hospital, Osaka, Japan
J Card Surg 22:330-2. 2007..with a lobectomy, along with a combined resection of the right atrium and reconstruction of the bilateral brachiocephalic veins and right atrium...
- A new approach for obtaining blood samples from pigsB Lawhorn
Department of Large Animal Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843
J Am Vet Med Assoc 192:781-2. 1988..Using this method, blood samples were obtained rapidly from the brachiocephalic veins of 155 15- to 137-kg swine...
- Primary and staged transposition arteriovenous fistulasMichael R Arroyo
Department of Surgery, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Tulsa, OK 74135, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:1279-83. 2008..Transposition AVFs (AVF-T) have been used for these individuals to avoid catheters and grafts. We report our experience with primary and staged basilic vein AVF-Ts and staged brachial vein AVF-Ts...
- Absent left and right superior vena cava and azygos continuation of inferior vena cava: a rare anomaly of systemic venous returnMuhammad Bilal Quraishi
Department of Internal Medicine and Electrophysiology, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio, USA
J Invasive Cardiol 22:E159-61. 2010..Further evaluation revealed congenital absence of superior vena cava with two brachiocephalic veins draining separately...
- Angioplasty with stent graft versus bare stent for recurrent cephalic arch stenosis in autogenous arteriovenous access for hemodialysis: a prospective randomized clinical trialDavid Shemesh
Department of Surgery, Vascular Access Center, Jerusalem, Israel
J Vasc Surg 48:1524-31, 1531.e1-2. 2008..Because the results of stenting are unsatisfactory, we compared the efficacy of stent grafts with bare stents in these patients...
- Atypical carcinoid of thymus associated with multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 1Yosuke Otake
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Nishi Kobe Medical Center, Nishi ku, Japan
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 58:534-7. 2010..We suggest chest computed tomography scan or magnetic resonance imaging for MEN-1 patients and serological or genetic screening for patients with thymic carcinoid to screen for MEN-1...
- Left superior vena cava with left azygos veinMamoru Uemura
Department of Anatomy, Osaka Dental University, 8 1, Kuzuhahanazono cho, Hirakata shi, Osaka 573 1121, Japan
Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn 86:55-60. 2009..The left superior vena cava began from the confluence between the right and left brachiocephalic veins, and extended directly into the left superior edge of the coronary sinus...
- Failure of left-sided implantable cardioverter defibrillator implantation due to absence of left brachiocephalic veinD Antonelli
Department of Cardiology, Central Hemek Hospital, Afula, Israel
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 22:1842-3. 1999..Implantation was successfully attempted using the right-sided venous access...
- Decreased access resistance in haemodialysis patients with upper arm arteriovenous fistulaeWil A M A van der Mark
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:2105-6; author reply 2106-7. 2008
- [Pseudocoarctation of the aorta associated with a retroaortic innominate vein]J Bechini Bernard
An Pediatr (Barc) 68:191-2. 2008
- Chylopericardium in a child with impaired venous access following small bowel transplantationV Bhole
Cardiology Unit, Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Pediatr Transplant 15:e39-41. 2011..The most likely cause for the chylopericardium was venous occlusion of the subclavian veins with backpressure resulting in a lymphatic leak. A brief review of literature along with treatment options is discussed...
- eComment: The anastomosis between aorta and extension conduit of the pulmonary arteryEmin Tireli
Istanbul University Istanbul Medical Faculty, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Capa 34390, Turkey
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:194. 2008
- Bilateral retrosternal dislocation and hypertrophy of medial clavicular heads with compression to brachiocephalic veinT Ege
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Trakya University Medical School, Edirne, Turkey
Int Angiol 22:325-27. 2003..The heads of the clavicles were resected and the vein compression was eliminated. Six weeks later, venous congestion disappeared and the brachiocephalic vein was patent...
- Cephalic arch stenosis in autogenous brachiocephalic hemodialysis fistulas: results of cutting balloon angioplastySøren T Heerwagen
Department of Interventional Radiology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Vasc Access 11:41-5. 2010..The purpose of this retrospective study was to report outcomes after cutting balloon angioplasty (CBA) of cephalic arch stenosis...
- Percutaneous AngioJet thrombectomy in the management of extensive deep venous thrombosisK Kasirajan
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of New Mexico Hospital, Albuquerque 87131 5341, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 12:179-85. 2001..This study was undertaken to evaluate the efficacy of a percutaneous mechanical thrombectomy (PMT) device for rapid thrombus removal following deep venous thrombosis (DVT)...
- Functional patency of autogenous AV fistulas for hemodialysisT H Nguyen
Surgical Service, Long Beach Veterans Administration Medical Center and Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine, USA
J Vasc Access 8:275-80. 2007..Although AV fistulas are the preferred access for hemodialysis and have low complication rates, failure to function remains high and time to first dialysis may be several months...
- Facial and left arm swelling in a hemodialysis patientDimitrios Anestis D Moutzouris
Department of Nephrology, Evangelismos General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Semin Dial 20:269-70. 2007
- Spectral optimization of chest CT angiography with reduced iodine load: experience in 80 patients evaluated with dual-source, dual-energy CTMarie Aurélie Delesalle
Department of Thoracic Imaging, Hôpital Calmette EA 2694 Université Lille Nord de France, Boulevard Jules Leclercq, 59037 Lille, France
Radiology 267:256-66. 2013..To determine the energy levels that provide optimal imaging of thoracic circulation at dual-energy computed tomographic (CT) angiography with reduced iodine load in comparison with a standard technique...
- A case report: a young waiter with Paget-Schroetter syndromeNicholas Drakos
Department of Emergency Medicine, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, California, USA
J Emerg Med 44:e291-4. 2013..The primary complication of PSS is post-thrombotic syndrome, a result of chronic venous hypertension...
- Influence of estradiol and fetal stress on luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone, and prolactin in late-gestation fetal sheepCharles E Wood
Department of Physiology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Fla 32610 0274, USA
Neonatology 100:155-61. 2011..Our previous studies have also suggested a role of estradiol in augmenting the fetal stress response to BCO...
- Heart-lung transplantation in situs inversus totalisTobias Deuse
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1002-3. 2009..Here we present our simplified surgical technique for combined heart-lung transplantation and provide a concise review of the literature...
- Stenting of the superior vena cava and left brachiocephalic vein with preserving the central venous catheter in situPeter Isfort
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital RWTH Aachen, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Korean J Radiol 12:629-33. 2011....
- Neurological sequelae from brachiocephalic vein stenosisDavid W Herzig
Department of Neurosurgery, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC 20007, USA
J Neurosurg 118:1058-62. 2013..Central venous stenosis is common with hemodialysis, but rarely presents with neurological findings. Prompt recognition and endovascular intervention can restore normal venous drainage and resolve symptoms...
- Possible pathomechanisms responsible for injury to the central nervous system in the settings of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiencyMarian Simka
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, EUROMEDIC Specialist Clinics, Katowice, Poland
Rev Recent Clin Trials 7:93-9. 2012..It is hoped that this review will help to elucidate new strategies and treatments for multiple sclerosis and will show new avenues for the research on this debilitating disease...
- [Thymic carcinoma with vascular resection]Minoru Yamaki
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Onomichi General Hospital, Onomichi, Japan
Kyobu Geka 65:489-92. 2012..Case 1:The aortic arch and the innominate vein were involved. Case 2:The left brachiocephalic vein was involved. Case 3:Tumor invaded to superior vena cava. Complete resection of the tumor was possible with vascular reconstruction...
- Radiofrequency wire for the recanalization of central vein occlusions that have failed conventional endovascular techniquesMarcelo Guimaraes
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas St, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 23:1016-21. 2012..To report the technique and acute technical results associated with the PowerWire Radiofrequency (RF) Guidewire used to recanalize central vein occlusions (CVOs) after the failure of conventional endovascular techniques...
- Innominate vein vascular ring provides novel insight into systemic venous embryogenesisCharissa R Pockett
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cardiol Young 22:469-71. 2012..We report a case of duplicate innominate veins forming a vascular ring encircling the ascending aorta. We postulate that this vascular ring represents the failure of both a dorsal and ventral precardinal anastomosis to regress...
- The role of ultrasonography in determining central venous patency in patients undergoing bowel transplantationTetsuro Sakai
Department of Anesthesiology, UPMC Montefiore Presbyterian, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Clin Transplant 26:E78-83. 2012..23-0.60), respectively. In addition, VG confirmed stenosis in 32% of the right and 50% of the left brachiocephalic veins and 41% of the superior vena cava...
- Transesophageal echocardiography and vascular ultrasound in the diagnosis of catheter-related persistent left superior vena cava thrombosisTheodosios Saranteas
2nd Department of Anaesthesia and cardiovascular critical care, University of Athens, Attikon Hospital, Greece
Eur J Echocardiogr 10:452-5. 2009..This case underlines the role of cardiovascular ultrasound examination as an important tool in performing variety of monitoring in the setting of the ICU...
- FETAL REFLEX RESPONSES TO CEREBRAL HYPOPERFUSIONCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 1999..Improvement of our knowledge of the rnle of prostanoids in the control of fetal blood pressure is also quite important in light of the use of prostaglandin synthase inhibitors clinically for various reasons, including tocolysis. ..
- FETAL CARDIOVASCULAR AND ENDOCRINE REFLEX RESPONSESCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results will identify the processes within the reflex pathway that can be manipulated pharmacologically and therefore enhance fetal survival during hypotensive stress. ..
- Renal Transporters and Fetal NeuroendocrinologyCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal is aimed at providing a novel understanding of fetal stress hormones and novel approaches towards manipulating the fetal stress response. ..
- SHORT-TERM RESEARCH TRAINING FOR MINORITY STUDENTSCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2007..The emphasis of this training program in the next five years will be to significantly expand the students' horizons and to recruit students into basic biomedical science. ..
- FETAL CARDIOVASCULAR AND ENDOCRINE REFLEX RESPONSESCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results will identify the processes within the reflex pathway that can be manipulated pharmacologically and therefore enhance fetal survival during hypotensive stress. ..
- Estrogen Influences on Fetal AdrenocorticotropinCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- FETAL CARDIOVASCULAR AND ENDOCRINE REFLEX RESPONSESCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Renal Transporters and Fetal NeuroendocrinologyCharles Wood; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal is aimed at providing a novel understanding of fetal stress hormones and novel approaches towards manipulating the fetal stress response. ..
- Novel Methods for Hemodialysis Access EvaluationWilliam Weitzel; Fiscal Year: 2007..This Award will support the training needed to become an effective independent clinical investigator focused on bioengineering applications in medicine. ..