Genomes and Genes
superior mesenteric artery
Summary: A large vessel supplying the whole length of the small intestine except the superior part of the duodenum. It also supplies the cecum and the ascending part of the colon and about half the transverse part of the colon. It arises from the anterior surface of the aorta below the celiac artery at the level of the first lumbar vertebra.
Publications201 found, 100 shown here
- [Fulminant course of a Takayasu's arteritis and rare mesenteric arterial maninfestion]S Simon
Medizinische Klinik, Evangelisches Krankenhaus, Steinweg 13 17, 26122 Oldenburg
Z Rheumatol 65:520, 522-6. 2006..The disease process was fulminant and refractory to all therapeutic strategies. According to our knowledge this is the first case report from Germany of Takayasu's arteritis with mesenteric infarction...
- Mesenteric duplex scanningErica L Mitchell
Division of Vascular Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther 18:175-83. 2006..It's primary clinical application is to identify high-grade stenoses in the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) and celiac artery that may be associated with the clinical condition of chronic mesenteric ..
- Endovascular treatment of stenotic and occluded visceral arteries for chronic mesenteric ischemiaTimur P Sarac
Cleveland Clinic Lerner School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:485-491. 2008....
- Pancreas head carcinoma: frequency of invasion to soft tissue adherent to the superior mesenteric arteryMasahiro Noto
Department of Gastroenterologic Surgery, Division of Cancer Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Am J Surg Pathol 29:1056-61. 2005..concerns unsuccessful locoregional control, which may originate from a positive surgical margin near the superior mesenteric artery (SMA). However, no studies have examined invasion of pancreatic carcinoma around the SMA...
- Isolated spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery: percutaneous stent placement in two patientsJeong Ho Kim
Department of Radiology, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, Iksan, Korea
Korean J Radiol 5:134-8. 2004Isolated spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) is a rare cause of acute mesenteric ischemia. Two patients were successfully treated by percutaneous stent placement within the main trunk of the SMA...
- Splenic and superior mesenteric artery thrombolytic infusion therapy for acute portal and mesenteric vein thrombosisNajib Safieddine
Division of General Surgery, Department of Radiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Surg 50:68-9. 2007
- Experimental study on acute ischemic small bowel changes induced by superselective embolization of superior mesenteric artery branches with N-butyl cyanoacrylateHwan Jun Jae
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul, 110 744, Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:755-63. 2008To evaluate the degree of ischemic changes of the small bowel after superselective embolization of superior mesenteric artery (SMA) branches at the vasa recta level with N-butyl cyanoacrylate (NBCA) in dogs.
- Rare case of the inferior mesenteric artery and the common hepatic artery arising from the superior mesenteric arteryTokuji Osawa
Department of Oral Anatomy I, Iwate Medical University School of Dentistry, Morioka, Iwate, Japan
Clin Anat 17:518-21. 2004We found a case in which inferior mesenteric artery and the common hepatic artery arose from the superior mesenteric artery, forming the common hepatomesenteric trunk, during a routine dissection carried out at Iwate Medical University in ..
- L-lactate after embolization of the superior mesenteric arteryStefan Acosta
Department of Vascular Diseases, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Surg Res 143:320-8. 2007..The aim was to create an endovascular model for acute superior mesenteric artery thromboembolism, and then to study L-lactate and lactate dehydrogenase (LD) activity in plasma and ..
- D-dimer testing in patients with suspected acute thromboembolic occlusion of the superior mesenteric arteryS Acosta
Department of Surgery, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Br J Surg 91:991-4. 2004..is no accurate non-invasive method available for the diagnosis of acute thromboembolic occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA). The aim of this study was to assess the diagnostic properties of the fibrinolytic marker D-dimer.
- Revascularization of the superior mesenteric artery after acute thromboembolic occlusionM Bjorck
Department of Surgery, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Br J Surg 89:923-7. 2002The outcome and prognostic factors after revascularization of acute thromboembolic occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) are poorly documented.
- A rare case of inferior mesenteric artery arising from the superior mesenteric artery, with a review of the review of the literatureShuang Qin Yi
Department of Anatomy, Tokyo Medical University, Shinjuku 6 1 1, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 8402, Japan
Surg Radiol Anat 30:159-65. 2008..We describe here an extremely rare case in which the IMA arose from the superior mesenteric artery. The findings were made during routine dissection of the cadaver of a 79-year-old Japanese man...
- Isolated spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery treated by percutaneous stent placement: case reportIvan B Casella
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Hospital e Maternidade Brasil, Santo Andre, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Vasc Surg 47:197-200. 2008Acute ischemia due to spontaneous dissections of the superior mesenteric artery are uncommon events, with sporadic reports...
- Successful treatment of acute occlusion in superior mesenteric artery of an elderly man by thrombus aspirationKoichiro Sonoda
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:933-4. 2007
- Clinical implications for the management of acute thromboembolic occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery: autopsy findings in 213 patientsStefan Acosta
Department of Vascular Surgery, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Ann Surg 241:516-22. 2005To study findings at autopsy in patients with fatal acute thromboembolic occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA).
- Successful percutaneous endovascular management of acute post-traumatic superior mesenteric artery dissection using a transradial approachTejas Patel
Total Cardiovascular Solutions Private Limited, Ahmedabad, India
J Invasive Cardiol 22:E61-4. 2010Acute aortic dissection extending into the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) following a blunt trauma is an extremely rare complication. We report a case of acute post-traumatic SMA dissection presented with an acute abdominal syndrome...
- Management of acute superior mesenteric artery occlusionMichael S Barakate
University of Sydney, Departments of Surgery and Interventional Radiology, University of Sydney, Lismore Base Hospital, Lismore, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 72:25-9. 2002This review examines the surgical management of acute superior mesenteric artery (SMA) occlusion and the impact of interventional radiology techniques.
- Endovascular therapeutic approaches for acute superior mesenteric artery occlusionS Acosta
Vascular Centre, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 32:896-905. 2009..the outcome of attempted endovascular intervention in patients with acute embolic or thrombotic superior mesenteric artery (SMA) occlusion...
- Aortic, celiac axis, and superior mesenteric artery thrombosis associated with sigmoid colon adenocarcinoma and hypercoagulable stateLuke C Serck
Department of Medical Education, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation
Vasc Endovascular Surg 43:284-5. 2009..developed acute visceral ischemia secondary to thrombus involving the suprarenal aorta, celiac axis and superior mesenteric artery. A large, laminated fibrin thrombus was removed via supraceliac aortotomy...
- The herbal medicine Daikenchuto increases blood flow in the superior mesenteric arteryShin Takayama
Center for Asian Traditional Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 219:319-30. 2009..intended to clarify the influence of Daikenchuto and Orengedokuto on CO and blood flow volume in the superior mesenteric artery (SMA)...
- Multidetector row CT of superior mesenteric artery syndromeGautam A Agrawal
The Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:62-5. 2007The purpose of this case series is to illustrate the diagnostic criteria of superior mesenteric artery syndrome (SMAS) using 16-slice multidetector row computed tomography (MDCT) angiography with multiplanar and 3-dimensional ..
- Successful treatment of isolated spontaneous superior mesenteric artery dissection with stent placementYoung Won Yoon
Cardiology Division, Yonsei Cardiovascular Hospital, Yonsei Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun Ku, 120 752 Seoul, Korea
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 26:475-8. 2003Isolated dissection of superior mesenteric artery is a rare condition and is usually treated surgically...
- Successful angiographic stent-graft treatment for spontaneously dissecting broad-base pseudoaneurysm of the superior mesenteric arteryHsin-Yu Tsai
Emergency Department, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Chin Med Assoc 68:397-400. 2005..b>Superior mesenteric artery (SMA) aneurysms are especially rare, comprising only 5-8% of all visceral arterial aneurysms...
- Effects of acute hypobaric hypoxia on resting and postprandial superior mesenteric artery blood flowJenny E Loshbaugh
Department of Nursing, Family Birthing Center, Presbyterian Health Care Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108, USA
High Alt Med Biol 7:47-53. 2006..hypothesis that acute hypobaric hypoxia (ALT) would attenuate the normal postprandial hyperemia in the superior mesenteric artery (SM)...
- Treatment of portal venous thrombosis with selective superior mesenteric artery infusion of recombinant tissue plasminogen activatorE A Henao
Division of Vascular Surgery, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 3601 4th Street, Lubbock, TX 79430-8312, USA
J Vasc Surg 38:1411-5. 2003..Catheter-directed thrombolysis via the superior mesenteric artery may be a viable adjunct to treatment of this potentially morbid condition...
- [Resection of the retroportal pancreatic lamina during a cephalic pancreaticoduodenectomy: first dissection of the superior mesenteric artery]P Pessaux
Service de Chirurgie Viscerale, CHU d Angers, 4, rue Larrey, 49033 cedex 01, Angers, France
Ann Chir 128:633-6. 2003..The resection begins with the dissection of the origin of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) above the left renal vein and a step-by-step section of the retroportal pancreatic lamina on the ..
- Stenting of the superior mesenteric artery as a preoperative treatment for total pancreatectomyNoboru Tanigawa
Department of Radiology, Kansai Medical University, Fumizono, Moriguchi, Osaka, Japan
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:533-5. 2004..0 cm in length in the ostium of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA), as well as the development of collateral vessels in the area around the head of the pancreas...
- Time course of leukocyte response and free radical release in an early reperfusion injury of the superior mesenteric arteryJ Hamar
National Institute of Traumatology, H 1081 Budapest, Fiumei ut 17, Hungary
Physiol Res 52:417-23. 2003..Rat small intestine ischemia/reperfusion was induced by a 45 min superior mesenteric artery occlusion followed by a 4-hour reperfusion...
- Color Doppler ultrasonography of the superior mesenteric artery for prenatal ultrasonographic diagnosis of a left-sided congenital diaphragmatic herniaL Detti
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Virginia Health Science System, Charlottesville 22908, USA
J Ultrasound Med 20:689-92. 2001..The most frequent type is the left-sided posterolateral defect or Bochdalek's hernia, which accounts for 81% of cases...
- Imaging appearances and management of isolated spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric arteryIchiro Sakamoto
Department of Radiology and Radiation Biology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8501, Japan
Eur J Radiol 64:103-10. 2007The objective of our study was to report the clinical and imaging features of isolated dissection of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) and describe our imaging classification of this disease entity.
- Superior mesenteric artery (Wilkie's) syndrome as a result of cardiac cachexiaArchana Roy
Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:C3-4. 2005b>Superior mesenteric artery (SMA) syndrome is a rare acquired disorder in which acute angulation of SMA causes compression of the third part of the duodenum between the SMA and the aorta, leading to obstruction...
- Measurements of nitric oxide concentration and hyporeactivity in rat superior mesenteric artery exposed to endotoxinRaquel Hernanz
Departament of Pharmacology, University of Aarhus, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Cardiovasc Res 62:202-11. 2004..A catalase-sensitive mechanism and release of NO from N-acetylcysteine-sensitive stores could also contribute to the vascular hyporeactivity...
- Bare stent implantation in iatrogenic dissecting pseudoaneurysm of the superior mesenteric arteryRamazan Kutlu
Department of Radiology, Inonu University School of Medicine, 44069 Malatya, Turkey
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:121-3. 2007Iatrogenic arterial dissection leading to the development of dissecting pseudoaneurysms of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) is a rare complication of angiography...
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy: superior mesenteric artery first approachPatrick Pessaux
Service de Chirurgie Digestive, CHU Angers, 4 rue Larrey, 49933 Angers Cedex 9, France
J Gastrointest Surg 10:607-11. 2006
- Superior mesenteric artery pseudoaneurysm associated with celiac axis occlusion treated using endovascular techniquesBiswajit Ray
Department of Vascular Surgery, Hull Royal Infirmary, Anlaby Road, Hull, HU3 2JZ, UK
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:886-9. 2006The case of a 30-year-old woman with a post-traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the superior mesenteric artery and associated celiac axis occlusion is presented...
- Indications and techniques of extended resection for pancreatic cancerAkimasa Nakao
Department of Surgery II, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
World J Surg 30:976-82; discussion 983-4. 2006..This study was carried out to clarify the indications for extended resection, especially vascular resection, for pancreatic carcinoma...
- Endovascular treatment of a giant superior mesenteric artery pseudoaneurysm using a nitinol stent-graftRoberto Gandini
Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology, University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 28:102-6. 2005..3%) and in a critical clinical condition (American Society of Anesthesiologists grade 4) from a giant superior mesenteric artery pseudoaneurysm (196.0 x 131.4 mm) underwent emergency endovascular treatment...
- Stenting of a spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery: a new therapeutic approach?P Froment
Department of Surgery, Ospedale San Giovanni, Bellinzona, Switzerland
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 27:529-32. 2004Spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) is rare and has been reported only sporadically. Therapeutic options are either a surgical approach, which is the more frequently adopted, or a simple observation...
- Ultrasound imaging in diagnosis of superior mesenteric artery syndromeS Neri
Department of Internal Medicine and Systemic Diseases, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
J Intern Med 257:346-51. 2005We screened a cohort of subjects affected by various degree of dyspepsia to reveal if they presented a reduction of the aorto-mesenteric angle and to diagnose suspected cases of superior mesenteric artery (SMA) syndrome.
- Superior mesenteric artery pseudoaneurysm following pancreaticoduodenectomy: management by endovascular stent-graft placement and transluminal thrombin injectionMichael J Wallace
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:518-22. 2007b>Superior mesenteric artery (SMA) pseudoaneurysm formation is a rare and potentially fatal postoperative complication...
- Endovascular stent placement for isolated spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery: report of a caseNoriyuki Miyamoto
Department of Radiology, Teine-Keijinkai Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Radiat Med 23:520-4. 2005Spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) is rare and has been reported only sporadically. The therapeutic options are either a surgical approach, which is the most frequently adopted, or simple observation...
- Endovascular treatment of spontaneous isolated dissecting aneurysm of the superior mesenteric artery using stent-assisted coil embolizationToshiro Ozaki
Department of Radiation Oncology, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:435-7. 2006Spontaneous isolated dissecting aneurysm of the main trunk of the superior mesenteric artery is a rare condition. We treated a patient with this condition successfully by stent-assisted coil embolization...
- Spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery in four cases treated with anticoagulation therapyTakayuki Nagai
Department of Gastroenterology, Oita Kouseiren Tsurumi Hospital, Beppu
Intern Med 43:473-8. 2004Reports of spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery are rare. Diagnosis in the acute stage has been considered difficult, but we encountered four cases from November 1998 to November 2001...
- Characterisation of the haemodynamics of the superior mesenteric arteryA D Jeays
Medical Physics, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Rd, Sheffield, S10 2JF, UK
J Biomech 40:1916-26. 2007..to its prevalence in the surrounding vasculature, occurrence of primary atherosclerotic disease in the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) is rare (Glagov et al., 1988...
- Doppler flow velocimetry in the superior mesenteric artery on the first day of life in preterm infants and the risk of neonatal necrotizing enterocolitisEdile M Murdoch
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 118:1999-2003. 2006..The purpose of this work was to relate Doppler indices of splanchnic perfusion and vascular resistance to the risk of developing necrotizing enterocolitis...
- Mesenteric vasoconstriction triggers nitric oxide overproduction in the superior mesenteric artery of portal hypertensive ratsMing-Hung Tsai
Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Veterans Administration Medical Center, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Gastroenterology 125:1452-61. 2003BACKGROUND & AIMS: Vasoconstriction of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) is the earliest hemodynamic event occurring after partial portal vein ligation (PVL)...
- Ischemia-reperfusion injury following superior mesenteric artery occlusion and strangulation obstructionAdem Akcakaya
First Department of Surgery, Vakif Gureba Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Surg Res 108:39-43. 2002..This study was designed to compare IRI in superior mesenteric artery (SMA) occlusion and strangulation obstruction (SO)...
- Spontaneous isolated dissection of the superior mesenteric arteryHideo Takayama
Division of Intensive Care and Coronary Care Unit, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo
Intern Med 41:713-6. 2002A case of a 63-year-old man with isolated dissection of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA), demonstrated by enhanced computed tomography (CT) and abdominal angiography, was admitted to our hospital...
- Manometric artefacts suggesting compression of the duodenum by the superior mesenteric artery in healthy humansM P Schwartz
Gastrointestinal Research Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neurogastroenterol Motil 13:143-9. 2001..the horizontal part of the duodenum showed localized artefacts, presumably caused by compression by the superior mesenteric artery. In addition, a 'silent' region was present just distal to this site, the origin of which is uncertain.
- Endovascular treatment of spontaneous dissections of the superior mesenteric arteryRyan M Gobble
Department of Surgery, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Vasc Surg 50:1326-32. 2009Spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) is exceedingly rare. Treatment options range from observation to anticoagulation to open surgery or endovascular repair...
- In vitro simultaneous measurements of relaxation and nitric oxide concentration in rat superior mesenteric arteryU Simonsen
Department of Pharmacology, University of Aarhus, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Physiol 516:271-82. 1999..with an NO-specific microelectrode and endothelium-dependent relaxation was investigated in isolated rat superior mesenteric artery contracted with 1 microM noradrenaline. 2...
- Reproducibility of ultrasound blood flow measurement of the superior mesenteric artery before and after exerciseH P Peters
Department of Medical Physiology and Sports Medicine, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Sports Med 22:245-9. 2001This study examines the reproducibility of gastro-intestinal blood flow measurements in the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) both before and immediately after exercise with Doppler ultrasound measurements...
- Spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric arteryP J Sheldon
Department of Radiology, University of California San Diego Medical Center, 200 West Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 24:329-31. 2001Spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) is a rare occurrence, especially when not associated with aortic dissection . Currently, only 28 cases appear to have been reported...
- Pseudoaneurysm of the superior mesenteric artery after pancreas transplantation treated by endovascular stentingM Tan
Department of General Surgery, McGill University Health Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital, Qebec, Canada, H3A 1A1
Transplantation 72:336-8. 2001..We describe a 38-year-old patient who presented with a pseudoaneurysm of the donor superior mesenteric artery 1 month after pancreas transplantation...
- Spontaneous isolated dissection of the superior mesenteric arteryI Javerliat
Department of Vascular Surgery, Henri Mondor Hospital, , , France
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 25:180-4. 2003
- Spontaneous dissection of the superior mesenteric artery diagnosed on multidetector helical CTHiroyoshi Furukawa
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Comput Assist Tomogr 26:143-4. 2002
- Arc of buhler: incidence and diameter in asymptomatic individualsWael E A Saad
Section of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, Center for Vascular Disease, Department of Radiology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 39:347-9. 2005..A retrospective evaluation of 120 combined celiac (CAx) and superior mesenteric artery (SMA) angiograms was carried out on potential live related liver transplant donors (asymptomatic ..
- Surgical and radiological significance of variants of Bühler's anastomotic artery: a report of three casesJ G McNulty
Department of Radiology, Trinity College Dublin Medical School, St James s Hospital, P O Box 580, Dublin 8, Ireland
Surg Radiol Anat 23:277-80. 2001Arterial anastomoses between the celiac trunk (CT) and superior mesenteric artery (SMA) include three variants...
- Omental infarct: an unusual CT appearance after superior mesenteric artery occlusionAjay K Singh
Division of Abdominal Imaging and Interventional Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Emerg Radiol 10:276-8. 2004We report a case of omental infarct resulting from superior mesenteric artery occlusion, which had an unusual appearance on computed tomography.
- Assessment of Crohn's disease activity by Doppler sonography of the superior mesenteric artery, clinical evaluation and the Crohn's disease activity index: a prospective studyM F Byrne
Department of Gastroenterology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Clin Radiol 56:973-8. 2001Recent data have shown that superior mesenteric artery (SMA) flow rates are significantly increased in active Crohn's disease, suggesting that SMA flow may be a useful, non-invasive index of disease activity...
- Infrarenal transposition of the superior mesenteric artery: a new approach in the surgical therapy for Wilkie syndromeSiamak Pourhassan
Department of Vascular Surgery and Kidney Transplantation, University Hospital Dusseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Vasc Surg 47:201-4. 2008The superior mesenteric artery syndrome, also known as Wilkie syndrome or as arteriomesenteric obstruction of the duodenum, is a rare condition of upper intestinal obstruction in which the third part of the duodenum is compressed by the ..
- Duplex ultrasound for assessment of superior mesenteric artery blood flowM J Perko
Department of Vascular Surgery and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 21:106-17. 2001..The application of this technique to the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) has increased rapidly throughout the last decade...
- Nutcracker syndrome in children: the role of upright position examination and superior mesenteric artery angle measurement in the diagnosisSuat Fitoz
Department of Radiology, Ankara University, School of Medicine, Ankarar, Turkey
J Ultrasound Med 26:573-80. 2007The purpose of this study was to evaluate the pathophysiologic characteristics of nutcracker syndrome (NS) and to assess the role of upright position imaging and superior mesenteric artery (SMA) angle measurement in the diagnosis.
- An anomalous case of the hepatic artery arising from the superior mesenteric arteryAkira Iimura
Department of Anatomy, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaoka, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 238 8580, Japan
Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn 84:61-5. 2007..Kanagawa Dental College in 2006, we found an extremely rare case of the hepatic artery arising from the superior mesenteric artery of a 78-year-old Japanese male cadaver...
- Management of aneurysms involving branches of the celiac and superior mesenteric arteries: a comparison of surgical and endovascular therapyUlka Sachdev
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Vasc Surg 44:718-24. 2006..This study compares surgical and endovascular treatment of these aneurysms and analyzes outcome...
- Isolated spontaneous dissection of the splanchnic arteriesToshio Takayama
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Vasc Surg 48:329-33. 2008Isolated dissection of a splanchnic artery, including the celiac artery, superior mesenteric artery (SMA), and inferior mesenteric artery, and their branches, is a relatively rare condition...
- [Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm combined with inferior mesenteric artery aneurysm and occlusion of celiac and superior mesenteric arteries]H Abe
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, St. Marianna University School of Medicine, Yokohama City Seibu Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Kyobu Geka 59:459-63. 2006..The postoperative course was uneventful, and no symptoms of intestinal ischemia were noted. As blood supply to the abdominal viscera mostly depends on the inferior mesenteric artery, careful follow-up is necessary...
- Evaluating mesenteric ischemia with multidetector-row CT angiographyJeffrey C Hellinger
Department of Radiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 7:160-6. 2004..This article reviews the technical principles fundamental to evaluating the mesenteric vasculature with MDCT angiography. An overview of clinical application is also presented...
- Treatment of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms with a combined endovascular and surgical approachT Kotsis
Department of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Int Angiol 22:125-33. 2003..A combined endovascular and surgical approach with retrograde perfusion of visceral and renal vessels has been realized in order to minimize intraoperative and postoperative complications...
- Surgical revascularization for chronic intestinal ischemiaP Zerbib
Department of General and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital of Lille, Lille, France
Minerva Chir 63:191-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess outcome after surgical revascularization for chronic intestinal ischemia (CII)...
- Gastrointestinal: acute mesenteric ischemiaF M Gonzalez Valverde
Department of Surgery and Intensive Care Unit, Hospital General De LaVega Baja, Servicio De Cirugia GeneralY Del Aparato Digestivo, Ctra. Orihuela-Almoradi s/n, Alicante, Spain
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:1457. 2005
- [Chronic mesenteric ischemia with consecutive ischemic colitis. Suggestions for diagnosis and therapy]R Wilke
Klinik für Allgemein und Viszeralchirurgie, Klinikum Krefeld gGmbH, Lutherplatz 40, 47805 Krefeld
Chirurg 77:1152-7. 2006..Multislice CT demonstrated an irregular stenosis of the truncus coeliacus and superior mesenteric artery. A Riolan's anastomosis was present and showed excellent perfusion...
- [Treatment of celiac and mesenteric arteries stenoses with interventional radiologic techniques]Mao Qiang Wang
Department of Interventional Radiology, People s Liberation Army General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 43:1132-5. 2005..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of the interventional techniques for management of celiac and mesenteric arteries stenoses...
- Outcomes after endarterectomy for chronic mesenteric ischemiaMatthew W Mell
Section of Vascular Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Vasc Surg 48:1132-8. 2008..A retrospective study was performed to identify optimal factors affecting outcomes after open revascularization for chronic mesenteric ischemia...
- Visceral and renal artery complications of suprarenal fixation during endovascular aneurysm repairEdward Choke
St George s Vascular Institute, Blackshaw Road, London, SW17 0QT, UK
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:619-27. 2007..This study aimed to determine renal and visceral artery complications following suprarenal fixation during endovascular aneurysm repair (EVR)...
- Ischaemic gastric ulceration with endoscopic healing after revascularizationSabine Becker
Department of Medicine, Randers Hospital, Randers, Denmark
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:451-4. 2006..After a revascularization procedure with stenting of the superior mesenteric artery was performed, the patient's symptoms disappeared...
- [Antegrade aortomesenteric revascularisation originating from the supracoeliac aortic segment--a promising surgical option in chronic ischaemia of the visceral arteries]Z Halloul
Gefässchirurgie, Klinik fur Chirurgie, Universitatsklinikum, Magdeburg
Zentralbl Chir 133:380-5. 2008..Ischaemia of the visceral arteries is considered to be an extraordinary challenge in the interdisciplinary therapeutic management...
- Surgical treatment of visceral artery aneurysms: A 25-year experienceRaffaele Pulli
Department of Vascular Surgery, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Vasc Surg 48:334-42. 2008..The aim of this study was to analyze our 25-year experience with surgical treatment of visceral artery aneurysms (VAAs), with particular attention paid to early and long-term results...
- Ischemia-modified albumin in the diagnosis of acute mesenteric ischemia: a preliminary studyAbdulkadir Gunduz
Department of Emergency Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, 61080 Trabzon, Turkey
Am J Emerg Med 26:202-5. 2008..264 +/- 0.057 absorbance units (ABSU) in the thromboembolic occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) group and 0.163 +/- 0.025 ABSU in the control group...
- Intraoperative retrograde mesenteric angioplasty for acute occlusive mesenteric ischaemia: a case seriesL H Moyes
Department of Vascular Surgery, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, 84 Castle Street, Glasgow G4 0SF, United Kingdom
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 36:203-6. 2008Acute mesenteric ischaemia secondary to atherosclerotic disease of the superior mesenteric artery is a surgical emergency associated with a poor prognosis, and requires prompt diagnosis and early revascularisation in order to improve ..
- Outcome after celiac artery coverage during endovascular thoracic aortic aneurysm repair: preliminary resultsSarat K Vaddineni
Section of Vascular Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:467-71. 2007..Coverage of the left subclavian origin has been reported to expand the proximal sealing zone. We report the planned coverage of the celiac artery origin with a thoracic stent graft to achieve an adequate distal sealing zone...
- Retrograde mesenteric stenting during laparotomy for acute occlusive mesenteric ischemiaMark C Wyers
Section of Vascular Surgery, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:269-75. 2007..occlusive AMI, we have developed a new technique of endovascular recanalization and open retrograde stenting of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) during laparotomy so that the bowel can also be assessed and resected if necessary.
- Axillomesenteric bypass: an unusual solution to a difficult problemChristos D Karkos
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 45:404-7. 2007..The patient remains symptom-free 12 months postoperatively. In this rare situation, extra-anatomic bypass provided an unorthodox but less-invasive solution to a difficult surgical problem...
- [Surgical treatment of chronic mesenteric ischemia: report of one case]Juan Marín P
Servicio de Cirugía y Radiología, Hospital Militar de Santiago, Santiago, Chile
Rev Med Chil 135:92-7. 2007..On the other hand, due to the long term patency and symptomatic relief, surgical treatment is a good option in low risk patients...
- Celiac territory ischemic syndrome in a patient on chronic hemodialysisY Ori
Institute of Nephrology and Hypertension, Rabin Medical Center, Hasharon Campus, Petah Tikva and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Clin Nephrol 68:253-7. 2007..Abdominal angiography showed heavily calcified aorta, celiac trunk and superior mesenteric artery (SMA), with a 50% narrowing of the celiac and superior mesenteric arteries...
- Inferior mesenteric artery aneurysm with occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery, coeliac trunk and right renal arteryK L D Mandeville
Department of Vascular Surgery, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 35:312-3. 2008..We present here a case associated with occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery, coeliac trunk and right renal artery...
- [Treatment of acute type B aortic dissection with organ ischemia]Kouki Takahashi
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hoshi General Hospital, Koriyama, Japan
Kyobu Geka 60:303-7. 2007..Eight of them required surgical intervention. Two patients with mesenteric-ischemia underwent superior mesenteric artery (SMA) bypass surgery and their conditions were relieved...
- Treatment of a totally occluded superior mesenteric artery facilitated by retrograde crossing via collaterals from the celiac arteryJon Robken
Midwest Cardiovascular Research Foundation, Davenport, Iowa 52803, USA
J Endovasc Ther 14:745-7. 2007To present a new approach route for recanalization of a chronically occluded superior mesenteric artery (SMA).
- Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase ameliorates lung injury in rats after gut ischemia-reperfusionKotaro Uchida
Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Trauma 63:603-7. 2007..We sought to determine whether a selective inducible NO synthase inhibitor, aminoguanidine (AG), ameliorates pulmonary microvascular injury after superior mesenteric artery occlusion.
- Mesenteric involvement in giant cell arteritis. An underrecognized complication? Analysis of a case series with clinicoanatomic correlationChristopher J Scola
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, UMass Memorial Medical Center, 116 Belmont Street, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Medicine (Baltimore) 87:45-51. 2008..We propose an explanation, based on mesenteric vascular anatomy, for the infrequency of symptomatic expression of this entity and suggest that occult mesenteric GCA may be present far more often than recognized...
- Delayed diagnosis of chronic mesenteric ischaemiaC Y L Woon
Department of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608
Singapore Med J 48:e9-e12. 2007..For patients with the triad of chronic, unrelenting weight loss, sitophobia (food fear) and postprandial abdominal pain, this condition must be considered, and actively sought after with angiography...
- Glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor family gene (GITR) knockout mice exhibit a resistance to splanchnic artery occlusion (SAO) shockSalvatore Cuzzocrea
Dipartimento Clinico, Sperimentale di Medicina, Farmacologia, Torre Biologica, Policlinico Universitario, Messina, Messina, Italy
J Leukoc Biol 76:933-40. 2004..the pathogenesis of splanchnic artery occlusion (SAO) shock, which was induced in mice by clamping the superior mesenteric artery and the celiac artery for 30 min, followed thereafter by release of the clamp (reperfusion)...
- [Chronic mesenteric ischemia: endovascular management]Y Fargeaudou
, , AP-HP, 2, rue Ambroise Par, 75475 Paris Cedex 10
J Radiol 89:68-70. 2008
- Visceral duplex scanning: evaluation before and after artery intervention for chronic mesenteric ischemiaPaul A Armstrong
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33606, USA
Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther 19:386-92; discussion 393-4. 2007....
- Superior mesenteric artery stent fracture producing stenosis and recurrent chronic mesenteric ischemia: case reportLisa Klepczyk
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 42:79-81. 2008..We present two cases of stent fracture following stenting of the superior mesenteric artery and discuss possible causes and treatments.
- Mesenteric artery occlusion secondary to activated protein C resistance: a life-threatening combinationN Scally
Departments of Surgery, The Ulster Hospital, Dundonald, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Angiology 58:768-71. 2007..In this case, activated protein C resistance resulted in thrombosis of the superior mesenteric artery and subsequent bowel ischemia.
- Repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm with a remarkably dilated meandering artery: Report of a caseShun ichiro Sakamoto
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Chiba Hokusoh Hospital, Nippon Medical School, 1715 Kamagari, Inba, Chiba, 270 1694, Japan
Surg Today 37:133-6. 2007..The operation was successful and the patient recovered uneventfully. We describe this surgical procedure for its effectiveness in preventing postoperative mesenteric ischemia in a rare case of an AAA with complex branching lesions...
- Median arcuate ligament syndrome: multidetector computed tomography findingsAhmet Turan Ilica
Department of Radiology, Gulhane Military Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Comput Assist Tomogr 31:728-31. 2007..We aimed to describe the clinical and multidetector computed tomography (MDCT) angiography findings of celiac, mesenteric, and renal artery entrapment by the median arcuate ligament...
- Endoaortic stent grafting of a giant infected hepatic-celiac pseudoaneurysmLefeng Qu
Department of Vascular Surgery, Changhai Hospital, Shanghai, China
J Vasc Surg 42:159-62. 2005..The patient recovered uneventfully and was discharged without any residual symptoms. At a 5-year follow-up, the patient remained asymptomatic and was leading a normal life...
- [Color Doppler ultrasound in acute mesenteric ischemia: 2 case reports]A Baccoli
, Azienda USL 5 Oristano
G Chir 24:148-51. 2003..US colordoppler was performed 12 hours after admittance demonstrating a "stop" of enhancement of the superior mesenteric artery in one case and absence of enhancement in the other.
- Screening for mesenteric vascular insufficiency and follow-up of mesenteric artery bypass proceduresG L Moneta
Department of Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Semin Vasc Surg 14:186-92. 2001Duplex ultrasonography is the preferred noninvasive screening test for superior mesenteric artery (SMA) and celiac artery (CA) stenosis...
- Arterial Remodeling in Chronic Liver DiseasesYasuko Iwakiri; Fiscal Year: 2009..We found that both EMMPRIN expression and MMP-2 activation were significantly elevated in the superior mesenteric artery (SMA; an artery in the splanchnic circulation) in cirrhotic rats...
- Arterial Remodeling in Chronic Liver DiseasesYasuko Iwakiri; Fiscal Year: 2010..We found that both EMMPRIN expression and MMP-2 activation were significantly elevated in the superior mesenteric artery (SMA;an artery in the splanchnic circulation) in cirrhotic rats...
- MODIFIED TETRACYCLINE EFFECT ON SEPSIS-INDUCED MORTALITYPHILIP FREIDENREICH; Fiscal Year: 2006..developed an injury consisting of a fecal clot (FC) placed in the peritoneal cavity plus clamping of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) which resulted in ARDS within 48 hours of the insult, and 2) we found that prophylactic COL-3 ..
- A New Therapy for Bowel Ischemia-Reperfusion InjuryRongqian Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..of reperfusion attenuated tissue injury and inflammatory responses in a rat model of gut I/R induced by superior mesenteric artery occlusion (SMAO)...
- Gut Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury: Modulation by NutrientsRosemary Kozar; Fiscal Year: 2006..The sponsors are an integral part of this arrangement and are especially suited to ensure success of the proposed project...
- Induction of molecular Mediators by Enteral Nutrients in the Postischemic GutRosemary A Kozar; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Induction of molecular Mediators by Enteral Nutrients in the Postischemic GutRosemary Kozar; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Vagal afferent cell bodies as sensors of blood-borne factorsStephen Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2007..This unique response mechanism may be vital in helping the body to defend the cardiovascular system against disease states that threaten human health such as high blood pressure, inflammation and diabetes. ..
- Genetic Control of Pulmonary Cavities in TuberculosisRobert Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2005..If successful, new insights into the pathogenesis of pulmonary cavities may lead to specific interventions to prevent this highly infectious disease manifestation. ..
- INSULIN RECEPTOR RELATED AND THE KIDNEYCarlton Bates; Fiscal Year: 2002..After being subjected to systemic alkalosis, IRR-null mouse kidneys will be examined to determine if the intercalated cells have appropriately altered their morphology and intracellular distribution of proton transporters. ..
- Endothelial Dysfunction in Insulin ResistanceAllison Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..Findings from this project may provide important information that can be used to design treatments to prevent the cardiovascular complications of IR. ..
- Gender Differences in Experimental Aortic AneurysmsGilbert Upchurch; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Gender Differences in Experimental Aortic AneurysmsGILBERT RIVERS UPCHURCH; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- IMPAIRED CORONARY ARTERY FUNCTION IN INSULIN RESISTANCEAllison Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..Findings from this project may provide important information that can be used in future studies to design treatments to prevent or abort the cardiovascular complications of insulin resistance. ..
- MMP-9-Dependent Vessel Wall Remodeling is NO-DependentGilbert Upchurch; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Altered Glial Calcium Signaling in NeurodegenerationVera Golovina; Fiscal Year: 2007..Expression of S100beta and beta-APP will be identified by immunoblotting. Determining the mechanisms of IL-1beta - and A-beta-induced Ca2+influx in astrocytes could lead to novel therapeutic strategies for AD. ..
- Mentored Clinical Scientist Program in Vascular MedicineKIMBERLEY HANSEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Implementation and replication of this program will provide the future academic leaders in Vascular Medicine who will define the field as a distinct discipline. (End of Abstract) ..
- Cincinnati Mouse Metabolic Phenotyping CenterPatrick Tso; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Gender Differences in Experimental Aortic AneurysmsGilbert Upchurch; Fiscal Year: 2007....