Genomes and Genes
common carotid artery
Summary: The two principal arteries supplying the structures of the head and neck. They ascend in the neck, one on each side, and at the level of the upper border of the thyroid cartilage, each divides into two branches, the external (CAROTID ARTERY, EXTERNAL) and internal (CAROTID ARTERY, INTERNAL) carotid arteries.
Publications220 found, 100 shown here
- Regression of the increased common carotid artery-intima media thickness in subclinical hypothyroidism after thyroid hormone replacementSoo Kyung Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, CHA University School of Medicine, Sungnam, Korea
Endocr J 56:753-8. 2009..whether subclinical hypothyroidism is associated with an increase in the intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery (C-IMT) and whether thyroid hormone replacement can reverse this change in the C-IMT...
- Arterial wave reflections and survival in end-stage renal failureG M London
Service d Hemodialyse, Hôpital F H Manhès, Fleury Merogis, Ste Genevieve des Bois, France
Hypertension 38:434-8. 2001The increased effect of arterial wave reflections on central arteries like the common carotid artery seen in end-stage renal failure (ESRF) patients favors myocardial hypertrophy and oxygen consumption and alters coronary blood flow ..
- Cardiovascular risk factors and common carotid artery caliber and stiffness in patients with Cushing's disease during active disease and 1 year after disease remissionAntongiulio Faggiano
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2527-33. 2003..The persistence of a metabolic syndrome, vascular damage, and atherosclerotic plaques after cortisol level normalization makes these subjects still at high cardiovascular risk despite disease remission...
- Effects of PCSK9 variants on common carotid artery intima media thickness and relation to ApoE allelesGiuseppe Danilo Norata
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Balzaretti 9, Milan, Italy
Atherosclerosis 208:177-82. 2010..PCSK9 plays a key role in plasma cholesterol metabolism by modulating the expression of LDL receptors...
- Arterial wall thickening and stiffening in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetesMehmet Emre Atabek
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, School of Medicine, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 74:33-40. 2006We evaluated structural and functional characteristics of the common carotid artery (CCA), a marker of early carotid atherosclerosis, and investigated their relation to metabolic and anthropometric parameters in children and adolescents ..
- Intima-media thickness: a new tool for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular riskAlain Simon
Centre de Medecine Preventive Cardiovasculaire, Hopital Broussais, Paris, France
J Hypertens 20:159-69. 2002..sites in near and far walls and (ii) computerized measurement restricted to the far wall of the distal common carotid artery. Because IMT reflects global cardiovascular risk, its normal value might be better defined in terms of ..
- B-mode ultrasound common carotid artery intima-media thickness and external diameter: cross-sectional and longitudinal associations with carotid atherosclerosis in a large population sampleMarsha L Eigenbrodt
Department of Epidemiology, Fay W, Boozman College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 6:10. 2008..Arterial diameter and intima-media thickness (IMT) enlargement may each be related to the atherosclerotic process. Their separate or combined enlargement may indicate different arterial phenotypes with different atherosclerosis risk...
- Common carotid artery intima-media thickness and the risk of stroke recurrenceGeorgios Tsivgoulis
Department of Neurology, University of Athens, Eginition Hospital, Athens, Greece
Stroke 37:1913-6. 2006Increased common carotid artery intima-media thickness (CCA-IMT) has been associated with an increased risk of myocardial infarction and stroke...
- Comparison of common carotid artery intima-media thickness between Brazilian Euro-descendants and Afro-descendants with atherosclerosis risk factorsIvan Benaduce Casella
Division of Vascular Surgery, Hospital Regional Sul, Sao Paulo SP, Brasil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:657-64. 2009..To compare common carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) between the two major Brazilian ethnic groups (those of African descent and those of European descent) among individuals with one or more risk factors for atherosclerotic disease...
- Association between human immunodeficiency virus infection and stiffness of the common carotid arteryEric C Seaberg
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Stroke 41:2163-70. 2010..We tested the hypothesis that carotid arterial stiffness was higher among persons using HAART compared to HAART-naïve and HIV-uninfected persons...
- Effects of fractalkine receptor variants on common carotid artery intima-media thicknessGiuseppe D Norata
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Italy
Stroke 37:1558-61. 2006..In the present study, we investigated the possible association between CX3CR1variants and intima-media thickness (IMT)...
- Factors associated with gender difference in the intima-media thickness of the common carotid arteryT Y Tan
Department of Neurology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Clin Radiol 64:1097-103. 2009To investigate the gender differences associated with a thinner intima-media thickness (IMT) of the common carotid artery (CCA) in women.
- Common carotid artery wall thickness and external diameter as predictors of prevalent and incident cardiac events in a large population studyMarsha L Eigenbrodt
Department of Epidemiology, Fay W, Boozman College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR, USA
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 5:11. 2007..We hypothesized that right common carotid artery (RCCA) diameter would be independently associated with cardiac disease and improve risk discrimination.
- Leptin:adiponectin ratio is an independent predictor of intima media thickness of the common carotid arteryGiuseppe Danilo Norata
Stroke 38:2844-6. 2007..The evaluation of the leptin:adiponectin ratio (L:A) has been suggested as an atherosclerotic index in patients with type 2 diabetes and a useful parameter to assess insulin resistance in patients with and without diabetes...
- Magnitude of alimentary lipemia is related to intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery in middle-aged menF Karpe
King Gustaf V Research Institute, Department of Emergency and Cardiovascular Medicine, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Atherosclerosis 141:307-14. 1998..after oral fat intake, an estimate of the intima-media thickness (IMT) was made using ultrasound of the common carotid artery, and postprandial TRL was quantified during a standardized oral fat tolerance test in 30 healthy normo- ..
- Circumferential strain in the wall of the common carotid artery: comparing displacement-encoded and cine MRI in volunteersAlexander P Lin
Bioengineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Magn Reson Med 60:8-13. 2008..We employed a displacement encoding with stimulated echoes (DENSE) sequence to image the motion of the common carotid artery wall and map the two-dimensional (2D) circumferential strain...
- Anatomic relationship of the internal jugular vein and the common carotid artery applied to percutaneous transjugular proceduresUlku C Turba
Interventional Radiology, Medical University of South Carolina, 169 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 28:303-6. 2005To demonstrate the anatomic relationship of the internal jugular vein (IJV) with the common carotid artery (CCA) in order to avoid inadvertent puncture of the CCA during percutaneous central venous access or transjugular interventional ..
- Pial microvascular responses to transient bilateral common carotid artery occlusion: effects of hypertonic glycerolD Lapi
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Vasc Res 45:89-102. 2008The aim of the study was to assess the rat pial microvessel alterations due to transient bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (BCCAO) and to investigate the mechanism of 10% hypertonic glycerol neuroprotection...
- VEGF overexpression improves mice cognitive abilities after unilateral common carotid artery occlusionKonstanze Plaschke
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical Faculty, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Exp Neurol 214:285-92. 2008..In 33 V1 and wild-type (wt) mice, the left common carotid artery was permanently occluded (CCAO) under acute (48 h) and subchronic (12 days) conditions...
- Gender differences in carotid intima-media thickness in patients with suspected coronary artery diseaseAnna Kablak-Ziembicka
The Department of Cardiac and Vascular Diseases, Institute of Cardiology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Am J Cardiol 96:1217-22. 2005..In conclusion, carotid IMT assessment may be a valuable tool in selecting patients for coronary angiography to predict the likelihood of CAD. This particularly concerns women in whom sensitivity and specificity of mean IMT are high...
- Chronic bilateral common carotid artery occlusion: a model for ocular ischemic syndrome in the ratDaniel Lavinsky
Biochemistry Department, ICBS, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:199-204. 2006..The reduction of blood flow produced by bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (BCCAO) of rats for 7 days induces events related to gliosis with no evident histological damage...
- Intensive diabetes therapy and carotid intima-media thickness in type 1 diabetes mellitusDavid M Nathan
DCCT EDIC Research Group at Box NDIC DCCT, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2294-303. 2003..We examined the progression of carotid intima-media thickness, a measure of atherosclerosis, in a population with type 1 diabetes...
- Increased carotid intima-media thickness and stiffness in obese childrenArcangelo Iannuzzi
Department of Medicine, Cava de Tirreni Hospital, Salerno, Italy
Diabetes Care 27:2506-8. 2004
- In vivo quantification of carotid artery wall dimensions: 3.0-Tesla MRI versus B-mode ultrasound imagingR Duivenvoorden
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2:235-42. 2009..Our aim was to compare common carotid mean wall thickness (MWT) measurements by 3.0-T MRI with B-mode ultrasound common carotid intima-media thickness (CCIMT) measurements, a validated surrogate marker for cardiovascular disease...
- Classification of human carotid atherosclerotic lesions with in vivo multicontrast magnetic resonance imagingJian Ming Cai
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash 98195 7115, USA
Circulation 106:1368-73. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine whether in vivo high-resolution multicontrast MRI could accurately classify human carotid atherosclerotic plaque according to the American Heart Association classification...
- [Effects of Batroxobin on distal anastomotic intimal hyperplasia after expanded polytetrafluoroethylene bypass grafting in dog common carotid artery]Ye Ye Chen
Department of Vascular Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Science and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100730, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 89:48-53. 2009..And to identify the effects of Batroxobin (BX) on distal anastomotic intimal hyperplasia...
- Selected contribution: HSP20 phosphorylation in nitroglycerin- and forskolin-induced sustained reductions in swine carotid media toneC M Rembold
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 91:1460-6. 2001..These data are consistent with the hypothesis that Ser(16)-HSP20 phosphorylation may be a cyclic nucleotide-dependent, yet MRLC phosphorylation-independent, inhibitor of smooth muscle contractile force...
- Smoking status and common carotid artery intima-medial thickness among middle-aged men and women based on ultrasound measurement: a cohort studyAmy Z Fan
Prevention Research Center, Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, Berkeley, CA, USA
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 6:42. 2006..Cigarette smoking is an established causal factor for atherosclerosis. However, the smoking effect on different echogenic components of carotid arterial wall measured by ultrasound is not well elucidated...
- Relation of leisure-time physical activity to structural and functional arterial properties of the common carotid artery in male subjectsA S Schmidt-Trucksäss
Freiburg University Hospital, Centre for Internal Medicine, Department of Rehabilitation, Prevention and Sports Medicine, Germany
Atherosclerosis 145:107-14. 1999..activity (LTPA), assessed by a self-administered questionnaire, with the structure and function of the common carotid artery, examined with high-resolution ultrasound, in 51 male subjects aged between 16 and 78 years...
- Large brachial and common carotid artery diameter in postmenopausal women with carotid atherosclerosisTiziana Montalcini
Department of Medicina Sperimentale e Clinica G Salvatore, University of Catanzaro Magna Graecia, Facoltà di Medicina Edificio Clinico A II livello, Viale Europa Loc Germaneto, 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
Atherosclerosis 196:443-8. 2008..We hypothesized that brachial and common carotid arteries diameters were larger in subjects with carotid atherosclerosis compared to subjects without these lesions...
- Spatial inhomogeneity of common carotid artery intima-media is increased in dialysis patientsMarc M H Hermans
Department of Internal Medicine and Nephrology, Academic Hospital Maastricht, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands, and Department of Nephrology and Clinical Immunology, University Hospital RWTH, Aachen, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:1205-12. 2007Structural abnormalities of the common carotid artery (CCA), as assessed by ultrasound techniques, are related to cardiovascular outcome in dialysis patients...
- Automated intima-media thickness: the Los Angeles Atherosclerosis StudyJ H Dwyer
Department of Preventive Medicine, Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033 4500, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 24:981-7. 1998b>Common carotid artery (CCA) intima-media thickness (IMT) from B-mode ultrasound is a widely used measure of early atherosclerosis...
- Common carotid arterial interadventitial distance (diameter) as an indicator of the damaging effects of age and atherosclerosis, a cross-sectional study of the Atherosclerosis Risk in Community Cohort Limited Access Data (ARICLAD), 1987-89Marsha L Eigenbrodt
Department of Epidemiology, Fay W Boozman College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 4:1. 2006The effect of age on common carotid artery diameter is unclear for varying atherosclerosis risk levels.
- Intima media thickness of the common carotid artery in vascular surgery patients: a predictor of postoperative cardiovascular eventsWillem Jan Flu
Department of Anesthesiology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam 3015 GE, The Netherlands
Am Heart J 158:202-8. 2009..However, a more direct marker of the underlying atherosclerotic disease, such as the common carotid artery intimamedia thickness (CCA-IMT) may be of predictive value as well...
- Prediction of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality: comparison of the internal carotid artery resistive index with the common carotid artery intima-media thicknessDaniel Staub
Department of Internal Medicine, Cantonal Hospital, Frauenfeld, Switzerland
Stroke 37:800-5. 2006The intima-media thickness (IMT) of the common carotid artery (CCA) is well correlated with the degree of arteriosclerosis and is a predictor of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- Relation of common carotid artery lumen diameter to general arterial dilating diathesis and abdominal aortic aneurysms: the Tromsø StudyStein Harald Johnsen
Department of Neurology, University Hospital of North Norway, Tromsø, Norway
Am J Epidemiol 169:330-8. 2009..study in Tromsø, Norway, the authors investigated correlations between lumen diameter in the right common carotid artery (CCA) and the diameters of the femoral artery and abdominal aorta and whether CCA lumen diameter was a ..
- Automatic recognition of the common carotid artery in longitudinal ultrasound B-mode scansAlessandro C Rossi
ESAOTE Europe BV, Philipsweg 1, 6227 AJ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Med Image Anal 12:653-65. 2008Many morphological and dynamic properties of the common carotid artery (CCA), e.g. lumen diameter, distension and wall thickness, can be measured non-invasively with ultrasound (US) techniques...
- Prolonged retraction on the normal common carotid artery induced lethal stroke after cervical spine surgeryYu Chang Yeh
Department of Anesthesiology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E431-4. 2004..Case report...
- Intima-media thickness of peripheral arteries in asymptomatic cigarette smokersF W van den Berkmortel
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine 541, University Hospital Nijmegen, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Atherosclerosis 150:397-401. 2000..The purpose of this study is to assess the effect on arterial wall thickness of the carotid and femoral artery in cigarette smokers...
- Arterial Biology for the Investigation of the Treatment Effects of Reducing Cholesterol (ARBITER) 2: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of extended-release niacin on atherosclerosis progression in secondary prevention patients treated with statinsAllen J Taylor
Cardiovascular Research, Cardiology Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Ave, NW, Bldg 2, Room 3L28, Washington, DC 20307 5001, USA
Circulation 110:3512-7. 2004..Niacin reduces coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality when taken either alone or in combination with statins; however, the incremental impact of adding niacin to background statin therapy is unknown...
- Mean-average wall shear stress measurements in the common carotid arteryJohn N Oshinski
Frederik Philips MR Research Center, Department of Radiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 8:717-22. 2006In this study we determined mean-average wall shear stress values in the common carotid artery and assessed if there is a difference in mean-average WSS between: 1) patients with bilateral carotid bifurcation disease and 2) similar-aged ..
- Enhanced atherothrombotic formation after oxidative injury by FeCl3 to the common carotid artery in severe combined hyperlipidemic miceXunde Xian
Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Key Laboratory of Molecular Cardiovascular Sciences, Ministry of Education, Peking University Health Science Center, 38 Xueyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100191, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 385:563-9. 2009..Conclusions: Severe combined hyperlipidemia promotes thrombosis after ferric chloride injury to atherosclerotic vessels and HTG plays a major role in the process...
- Duplex ultrasonography of the common carotid artery and external jugular vein of cowsUeli Braun
Department of Farm Animals, Veterinary Faculty, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 260, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Vet Res 66:962-5. 2005To determine blood flow patterns in the common carotid artery and external jugular vein in cows before and after sedation achieved by administration of xylazine hydrochloride.
- Interrelations between brachial endothelial function and carotid intima-media thickness in young adults: the cardiovascular risk in young Finns studyMarkus Juonala
Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Circulation 110:2918-23. 2004..We examined their correlation and interaction with risk factors in a large, community-based cohort of young adults...
- Idiopathic free-floating thrombus of the common carotid arteryBrian Silver
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Can J Neurol Sci 29:97-9. 2002The observation of an intraluminal common carotid artery thrombus overlying a wall defect at ultrasonography or angiography is unusual...
- Impact of prehypertension on common carotid artery intima-media thickness and left ventricular massEfstathios Manios
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, University of Athens School of Medicine, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece
Stroke 40:1515-8. 2009..The aim of our study was to assess the extent of CCA-IMT and left ventricular mass (LVM) in prehypertensive adults in comparison to normotensive and untreated hypertensive subjects...
- In vivo tracking of dual-labeled mesenchymal stem cells homing into the injured common carotid arteryAi hong Cao
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Molecular and Functional Imaging, Department of Radiology, Zhongda Hospital, Southeast University, Nanjing 210009, China
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 292:1677-83. 2009..resonance imaging of labeled rat bone mesenchymal stem cells (BMSCs) as they home into the site of injured common carotid artery following allograft transplantation...
- Intima-media complex of both the brachial artery and the common carotid artery are associated with left ventricular hypertrophy in patients with previous myocardial infarctionStefan Agewall
Department of Cardiology, Huddinge University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Hypertens 23:119-25. 2005..The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between intima-media complex of the brachial artery to FMD, intima-media complex of the common carotid artery and cardiac hypertrophy in patients with coronary heart disease.
- Fully automated common carotid artery and internal jugular vein identification and tracking using B-mode ultrasoundDavid C Wang
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:1691-9. 2009We describe a fully automated ultrasound analysis system that tracks and identifies the common carotid artery (CCA) and the internal jugular vein (IJV)...
- Measurement of common carotid artery lumen dynamics during the cardiac cycle using magnetic resonance TrueFISP cine imagingTracy Y Chow
Laboratory of Biomedical Imaging and Signal Processing, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Magn Reson Imaging 28:1527-32. 2008....
- Does B-mode common carotid artery intima-media thickness differ from M-model?L M van Bortel
Department of Pharmacology, Maastricht University, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht CARIM, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ultrasound Med Biol 27:1333-6. 2001An increased intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery is thought to be an early sign of atherosclerosis...
- The effect of temporary aneurysm clip on the common carotid artery of atherosclerotic rabbitsMurat Cosar
Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kocatepe University, Afyon 03200, Turkey
Surg Neurol 69:483-8; discussion 489. 2008..We compared the effect of temporary aneurysm clips on atherosclerotic and nonatherosclerotic CCA of rabbits by morphometric and ultrastructural methods...
- Endovascular repair of ascending aortic pseudoaneurysm: technical considerations of a common carotid artery approach using the Zenith aortic cuff endograftPeter H Lin
Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Endovasc Ther 14:794-8. 2007To present a technique for endovascular treatment using Zenith aortic cuff extenders delivered via a left common carotid artery (CCA) approach in a patient with a large symptomatic ascending aortic pseudoaneurysm.
- Hypertension status is the major determinant of carotid atherosclerosis: a community-based study in TaiwanT C Su
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Stroke 32:2265-71. 2001..by high-resolution B-mode ultrasonography and expressed as maximal intima-media thickness (IMT) of the common carotid artery, ECCA plaque score, and carotid stenosis >/=50%...
- Flow-induced vascular remodeling in the mouse: a model for carotid intima-media thickeningVyacheslav A Korshunov
Center for Cardiovascular Research, University of Rochester, 601 Elmwood Ave, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:2185-91. 2003..Vascular remodeling of the carotid artery with intima-media thickness (IMT) is an important predictive factor for human cardiovascular disease. We characterized a mouse model of vascular remodeling...
- Plasma leptin is independently associated with the intima-media thickness of the common carotid arteryM Ciccone
Dipartimento di Metodologia Clinica e Tecnologie Medico-Chirurgiche, Sezione di Malattie dell'Apparato Cardiovascolare, University of Bari, Policlinico, Via Putignani 236, 70122 Bari, Italy
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:805-10. 2001OBJECTIVE: To investigate whether intima-media thickness (IMT) of the common carotid artery (CCA), an early marker of asymptomatic atherosclerosis, is significantly and independently associated with plasma concentrations of leptin, an ..
- p47phox-dependent NADPH oxidase regulates flow-induced vascular remodelingYves Castier
INSERM Centre de Recherche Cardiovasculaire Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Circ Res 97:533-40. 2005..in this process, we developed a new model of mouse arteriovenous fistula (AVF) connecting the right common carotid artery (RCCA) with the jugular vein, which does not affect blood pressure...
- High-sensitivity C-reactive protein is independently associated with early carotid artery progression in women but not in men: the INVADE StudyKerstin Sander
Department of Neurology, Technical University of Munich, Mohlstrasse 28, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Stroke 38:2881-6. 2007..Therefore, we investigated the effect of hsCRP on early carotid atherosclerosis progression and major vascular risk factors in men and women...
- Ultrasonic evaluation of early atherosclerosis in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitusTaner Yavuz
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:1131-6. 2002....
- Correlations between measures of atherosclerosis change using carotid ultrasonography and coronary angiographyW J Mack
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Atherosclerosis 150:371-9. 2000..Significant correlations between change in common carotid artery IMT and quantitative coronary angiographic measures of change were evident over all coronary artery ..
- Accelerated atherosclerosis in patients with Wegener's granulomatosisK de Leeuw
Department of Clinical Immunology, University Hospital, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 64:753-9. 2005..In addition to traditional risk factors, non-traditional risk factors such as endothelial activation and excessive vascular remodelling might be determinants of the progression of atherosclerosis in patients with an autoimmune disease...
- Carotid intima-media thickness in children and young adults with renal transplant: Internal carotid artery vs. common carotid arteryYelda Bilginer
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Pediatr Transplant 11:888-94. 2007..These changes can be detected by measuring CCA/ICA-IMT ultrasonographically. We suggest that early renal transplantation can potentially avoid long-term cardiovascular events in children with end stage kidney disease...
- WISE-2005: reduced cerebral blood flow velocity with nitroglycerin--comparison with common carotid artery blood flowK A Zuj
Cardiorespiratory and Vascular Dynamics Lab, Univ Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
J Gravit Physiol 14:P65-6. 2007..artery (MCA), the change in CBV in the MCA was compared with changes in quantitative flow measured in the common carotid artery (CCA)...
- [A case of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage associated with bilateral common carotid artery occlusion]Tomohiro Araki
Department of Neurosurgery, Mie University School of Medicine, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu City, Mie 514 8507, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 30:853-8. 2002..of the literature, only four cases of aneurysmal subarchnoid hemorrhage (SAH) associated with bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (CCAO) have been reported in addition to the case we report here with a summary of the ..
- Relationship between carotid intima-media thickness and arterial stiffness in children after Kawasaki diseaseY F Cheung
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Division of Paediatric Cardiology, Grantham Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Arch Dis Child 92:43-7. 2007..Evidence of premature atherosclerosis and systemic arterial stiffening in patients after Kawasaki disease is accumulating...
- Measurement of common carotid artery intima-media thickness in clinical practice: comparison of B-mode and RF-based techniqueF H Schreuder
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Maastricht University Medical Centre, 6202 AZ Maastricht, Netherlands
Ultraschall Med 30:459-65. 2009The common carotid artery intima-media thickness (CCA-IMT) is usually measured using B-mode ultrasound images. A different approach for CCA-IMT detection is based on radio frequency (RF) multiple M-line analysis.
- [Influence of moxibustion of baihui (GV 20) on hemodynamics of common carotid artery in healthy subjects]Ning xia Zhao
Tangdu Hospital of the Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Zhen Ci Yan Jiu 32:252-4. 2007..To observe the effect of moxibustion of Baihui (GV 20) on the hemodynamics of internal carotid artery in health subjects so as to study its underlying mechanism of moxibustion in the treatment cerebrovascular disorders...
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition with enalapril slows progressive intima-media thickening of the common carotid artery in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitusN Hosomi
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Kagawa Medical University School of Medicine, Kagawa, Japan
Stroke 32:1539-45. 2001..01+/-0.004 mm/y relative to the control group over the course of this study. CONCLUSIONS: Long-term treatment with an ACE inhibitor (enalapril) slows progressive IM thickening of the common carotid artery in NIDDM patients.
- Are your arteries older than your age?N Labropoulos
Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153 3304, USA
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 30:588-96. 2005..To determine the effect of age and atherosclerotic risk factors on the carotid intima-media layer thickness and morphology characteristics...
- Incident coronary events and case fatality in relation to common carotid intima-media thicknessM Rosvall
Department of Community Medicine, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Intern Med 257:430-7. 2005..To evaluate the incidence of coronary events (CE) and case fatality in relation to common carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) and carotid plaque over a median follow up of 7 years...
- Migrating foreign body into the common carotid arteryKenny Peter Pang
Department of Otolaryngology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:667-8. 2005
- Which factors are related to the presence of atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis?S Wallberg-Jonsson
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital of Umea, Sweden
Scand J Rheumatol 33:373-9. 2004..The results are based on the co-analysis of retrospective data as well as cross-sectional data. The impact of RA per se on atherosclerosis was evaluated relative to age- and sex-matched controls...
- Endothelial dysfunction precedes atherosclerosis in systemic sclerosis--relevance for prevention of vascular complicationsG Szucs
3rd Department of Internal Medicine, Rheumatology Division, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center, Hungary, Moricz Zs Krt 22, H 4004 Debrecen, Hungary E mail
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:759-62. 2007....
- Snakes based segmentation of the common carotid artery intima mediaC P Loizou
Intercollege, Department of Computer Science, School of Sciences and Engineering, 92 Ayias Phylaxeos Str, P O Box 51604, CY 3507, Limassol, Cyprus
Med Biol Eng Comput 45:35-49. 2007..we present a snakes segmentation technique for detecting the intima-media layer of the far wall of the common carotid artery (CCA) in longitudinal ultrasound images, by applying snakes, after normalization, speckle reduction, and ..
- Mycotic aneurysm of common carotid artery induced by Staphylococcus aureus infection after cervical reoperationA Machens
Department of General Surgery, Martin Luther University, Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Strasse 40, D 06097 Halle Saale, Germany
World J Surg 25:1113-6. 2001..We retrospectively analyzed all staphylococcal mycotic aneurysms of the common carotid artery. These aneurysms had developed after reoperative thyroid or parathyroid surgery, including resection of ..
- Carotid-compression technique for the insertion of guiding cathetersS Yoshimura
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Division of Neuroscience, Gifu University Asahi, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:1710-1. 2006..Although this technique is not risk-free and care must be taken to avoid vascular injury by excessive compression, it is useful for the insertion of a guiding catheter into the carotid artery...
- Radiation effects on the intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery in post-radiotherapy patients with head and neck malignancyM Shariat
Radiology Department, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Postgrad Med J 84:609-12. 2008..In this study, irradiated subjects with major risk factors such as hypertension, diabetes, history of previous cerebrovascular accident and connective tissue disorder were excluded...
- Risk factors for progression of common carotid atherosclerosis: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study, 1987-1998Lloyd E Chambless
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 4145, USA
Am J Epidemiol 155:38-47. 2002..In summary, established risk factors for coronary heart disease are associated with the rate of change of subclinical atherosclerosis...
- Time rate of blood pressure variation is associated with increased common carotid artery intima-media thicknessNikos A Zakopoulos
Department of Clinical Therapeutics Alexandra Hospital, University of Athens, Greece
Hypertension 45:505-12. 2005..systolic BP (SBP) variation derived from ambulatory BP monitoring (ABPM) data analysis and the extent of common carotid artery (CCA) intima-media thickness (IMT) in normotensive (n=280) and in uncomplicated hypertensive subjects (n=..
- Effects of blood pressure lowering with amlodipine or lisinopril on vascular structure of the common carotid arteryA V Stanton
Peart Rose Clinic, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, London W2 1PG, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 101:455-64. 2001Increased intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery predicts increased risk of myocardial infarction and stroke. Preliminary evidence suggests that a decrease in blood pressure (BP) is associated with diminished wall thickness...
- High bifurcation of common carotid artery, anomalous origin of ascending pharyngeal artery and anomalous branching pattern of external carotid arteryV Gluncic
Drago Perovic Department of Anatomy, Zagreb University School of Medicine, alata 11, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Surg Radiol Anat 23:123-5. 2001We present a rare case of combined high bifurcation of the common carotid artery, anomalous origin of the ascending pharyngeal artery and unusual branching pattern of the external carotid artery...
- Sample size calculation for clinical trials using magnetic resonance imaging for the quantitative assessment of carotid atherosclerosisTobias Saam
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 7:799-808. 2005..The percent lipid-rich/necrotic core (%LR/NC) and calcification (%Ca) were measured as a proportion of the vessel wall. For %LR/NC and %Ca, only those subjects that exhibited LR/NC or Ca components were used in the analysis...
- Assessment by cardiovascular magnetic resonance, electron beam computed tomography, and carotid ultrasonography of the distribution of subclinical atherosclerosis across Framingham risk strataSekar Kathiresan
Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Cardiol 99:310-4. 2007..In conclusion, in a community-based sample, correlations among subclinical atherosclerosis test results are low, and a substantial proportion has high levels of subclinical atherosclerosis detected on >or=2 imaging tests...
- Increased thickness of the arterial intima-media detected by ultrasonography in patients with rheumatoid arthritisYasuro Kumeda
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abeno Ku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 46:1489-97. 2002....
- Shear stress in the common carotid artery is related to both intima-media thickness and echogenecity. The Prospective Investigation of the Vasculature in Uppsala Seniors studyLars Lind
Department of Medicine, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 43:299-308. 2009..the Vasculature in Uppsala Seniors (PIVUS) study, a population-based study of 1016 subjects aged 70, left common carotid artery diameter, IMT, the grey scale median (GSM) of the intima-media complex (IM-GSM) and the blood flow ..
- Catheterization of the hepatic artery via the left common carotid artery in ratsXiao Li
Department of Radiology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, People s Republic of China
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:1073-6. 2006..A new method of rat hepatic artery catheterization via the left common carotid artery (LCCA) is described. The LCCA is repaired after catheterization...
- Reproducibility of ultrasonographically determined intima-media thickness is dependent on arterial wall thickness. The Tromsø StudyE Stensland-Bugge
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Norway
Stroke 28:1972-80. 1997....
- Quantitative measurement of carotid intima-media roughness--effect of age and manifest coronary artery diseaseArno Schmidt-Trucksäss
Department of Rehabilitative and Preventative Sports Medicine, Center for Internal Medicine, Freiburg University Hospital, Hugstetter Street 55, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Atherosclerosis 166:57-65. 2003Atherosclerotic changes of the common carotid artery (CCA) may appear like irregularities of the intima-media thickness (abbreviated as IM roughness) in B-mode ultrasound...
- Body composition and common carotid artery remodeling in a healthy populationMichaela Kozakova
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3325-32. 2008..Body composition (BC) influences systemic hemodynamics and may participate in the remodeling of common carotid artery (CCA), independently of risk factors.
- Persistent impairment of gait performances and working memory after bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in the adult Wistar ratCristina Sarti
Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni 85, 50134 Firenze, Italy
Behav Brain Res 136:13-20. 2002..We investigated whether rats subjected to bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (bCCA-o) developed focal neurological deficits, gait dysfunction, and working memory alterations.
- Comparison of the effects of losartan and atenolol on common carotid artery intima-media thickness in patients with hypertension: results of a 2-year, double-blind, randomized, controlled studyMalte Ludwig
University Clinic Bonn, Department of Medicine, Germany
Clin Ther 24:1175-93. 2002..Hypertension induces progressive pathologic changes in the arterial wall. Experimental findings suggest that these changes, which include intima-media thickening, may be mediated, at least in part, by angiotensin II (AII)...
- Mucormycotic pseudoaneurysm of the common carotid artery with tracheal involvementS Hashemzadeh
Mycoses 51:347-51. 2008..Doppler ultrasonography and angiography of the neck revealed a pseudoaneurysm of the right common carotid artery. The patient then developed haemoptysis...
- The stiffness of the common carotid artery in patients with Graves' diseaseM Czarkowski
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, University Medical School of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Int Angiol 21:152-7. 2002..We hypothesised that mechanical properties of the large arteries are also involved in hyperthyroidism-induced cardiovascular changes and set out to investigate this further...
- Relation between depressive symptoms and common carotid artery atherosclerosis in American persons > or =65 years of ageMohammed F Faramawi
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Am J Cardiol 99:1610-3. 2007..and could not determine the temporality between depressive symptoms and the development of abnormal common carotid artery (CCA) intima-media thickness (CCA-IMT)...
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme I/D polymorphism and macrovascular disease in systemic sclerosisF Bartoli
Department of Medicine Section of Rheumatology, Villa Monna Tessa, Viale Pieraccini 18, 50122 Firenze, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:772-5. 2007..This study evaluates the relationship between intima-media thickness (IMT), ankle-brachial pressure measurements (ABPI) and ACE I/D polymorphism in SSc patients...
- A rare anomalous origin of right vertebral artery: findings on Doppler sonographyBahar Yanik
Department of Radiology, Social Security Ankara Hospital, TR 06110 Dişkapi, Ankara, Turkey
J Clin Ultrasound 32:211-4. 2004Anomalous origin of the right vertebral artery from the right common carotid artery occurs rarely...
- Permanent, bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in the rat: a model for chronic cerebral hypoperfusion-related neurodegenerative diseasesEszter Farkas
Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Szeged, H 6701 Szeged, P O Box 427, Hungary
Brain Res Rev 54:162-80. 2007..Thorough characterization of the model suggests that 2VO in the rat is suitable for the development of potentially neuroprotective strategies in neurodegenerative diseases...
- Common carotid artery intima-media thickness in patients with brain infarction and intracerebral haemorrhageKonstantinos N Vemmos
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, University of Athens, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:280-6. 2004An increase in the intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery (CCA-IMT) is generally considered as an early marker of atherosclerosis and has been associated with a higher risk of stroke and myocardial infarction...
- Common carotid intima-media thickness is predictive of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in elderly community-dwelling people: Longitudinal Investigation for the Longevity and Aging in Hokkaido County (LILAC) studyS Murakami
Department of Medicine, Medical Center East, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Nishiogu 2 1 10, Arakawa, Tokyo 116 8567, Japan
Biomed Pharmacother 59:S49-53. 2005..351 (1.029-5.372) and 2.890 (1.059-7.891), respectively. Carotid IMT assessed by ultrasonography is positively associated with an increased risk of all-cause and cardiovascular death in elderly community-dwelling people...
- Relationship of lumen diameter to type and degree of arterial remodeling at sites of expanding wall or plaque thickness in human carotid arteryRobert A Boyajian
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, Center for Brain Research and Treatment, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, Calif, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:228-37. 2004..Arterial remodeling exhibits a bidirectional capacity. Whether lumen size affects remodeling response to lesion change is unknown...
- Increased stiffness in common carotid artery in hyperthyroid Graves' disease patientsM Inaba
Department of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Biomed Pharmacother 56:241-6. 2002The present study was undertaken to assess the effect of hyperthyroidism on stiffness in the common carotid artery (CCA) in patients with Graves' disease (GD) and elucidate the mechanism by which arterial stiffness is increased in ..
- Middle Cerebral and Common Artery Occlusion and Poststroke EpilepsyKevin Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2007..in our laboratory indicate that transient (3 hr) unilateral (left-sided) middle cerebral artery (MCA) and common carotid artery (CCA) occlusion (MCA/CCAO) results in poststroke epilepsy less frequently in 4 mo old male Fischer 344 (..
- Circuit Weight Training and Blood Pressure Regulation in PrehypertensionWilliam Cooke; Fiscal Year: 2007..4) Using bidirectional transcutaneous Doppler ultrasound probes, pulse waves velocities between the left common carotid artery and the left femoral artery, and the left femoral artery and the superior dorsalis pedis artery will be ..
- Jun Kinase Signaling and Apoptosis in Ischemia StrokeChia Yi Kuan; Fiscal Year: 2006..With this in mind, a mouse model of global based on unilateral common carotid artery occlusion followed by hypoxia was created...
- NITRIC OXIDE IN ATHEROGENESIS AND ARTERIAL RELAXATIONRichard Cohen; Fiscal Year: 1999..to destruction, and mechanism of action of nitric oxide in the thoracic aorta compared with the common carotid artery might partially explain differences in susceptibility to atherosclerosis...
- Laser Catheter for Dethrombosis of Arterial OcclusionBrant Watson; Fiscal Year: 2005..containing an ultraviolet (UV) light-conducting glass optical fiber, which will be used to remove, from a common carotid artery (CCA) of a rat, an occlusive blood clot (thrombus) and to demonstrate, in particular, the effectiveness of ..
- Phytoestrogens and Progression of AtherosclerosisHOWARD HODIS; Fiscal Year: 2007..primary end point will be the progression of subclinical atherosclerosis measured as the rate of change in common carotid artery intima-media thickness in computer image processed B-mode ultrasonograms, a well-established noninvasive ..
- Intracranial Aneurysm Pathogenesis-Roles of Vascular Remodeling and InflammationTomoki Hashimoto; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using a rodent common carotid artery flow augmentation model, we will demonstrate that depletion of neutrophils and/or macrophages reduces flow-..
- Intracranial Aneurysm Pathogenesis-Roles of Vascular Remodeling and InflammationTomoki Hashimoto; Fiscal Year: 2010..Using a rodent common carotid artery flow augmentation model, we will demonstrate that depletion of neutrophils and/or macrophages reduces flow-..
- IMPORTANCE OF THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER IN STROKEW Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 1993..of embolic stroke on the microvasculature and brain parenchyma will be first investigated following common carotid artery thrombosis (CCA)...
- Genetic analysis of neointimal hyperplasiaWeibin Shi; Fiscal Year: 2009..together with male F1 and two parental strains, will be subject to endothelial denudation of the left common carotid artery. Neointimal thickening will be quantitated by light microscopy...
- Prevention of Diabetes in Obese Hispanic AdolescentsMartha Cruz; Fiscal Year: 2005..risk factors (lipids, lipoproteins, blood pressure) and atherosclerosis (via intima media thickness of the common carotid artery and arterial stiffness) in Hispanic youth, before and after 12 weeks of treatment (30 mg/day) with ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THROMBOEMBOLIC STROKEW Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION (adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): Transient distal platelet accumulation after common carotid artery thrombosis (CCAT) leads to structural, hemodynamic and molecular events-that may be expected to influence the ..
- Arterial baroreceptor unloading causes hypertensionTERRY THRASHER; Fiscal Year: 2005..In this model, ligation of the common carotid artery proximal to the innervated carotid sinus produces a significant and sustained increase in systemic ..
- Improving Vascular Measures of Cardiovascular DiseaseMarsha Eigenbrodt; Fiscal Year: 2005..Two inexpensive, non-invasive measures include B-mode ultrasound evaluation of common carotid artery intima medial thickness (IMT) and microvascular abnormalities on retinal photographs...
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THROMBOEMBOLIC STROKEW Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 1999..barrier, hemodynamic and neurochemi calabnormalities generated by photochemically induced nonocclusive common carotid artery thrombosis (CCAT) in rats...
- Genetic analysis of neointimal hyperplasiaWeibin Shi; Fiscal Year: 2007..together with male F1 and two parental strains, will be subject to endothelial denudation of the left common carotid artery. Neointimal thickening will be quantitated by light microscopy...
- n-Stent Stenosis Model in Type 2 Diabetic RatsTiangen Wu; Fiscal Year: 2005..Stents will be deployed in the left common carotid artery of two cohorts of twelve rats each...
- Mechanisms of endothelial repair after vascular injuryZvonimir S Katusic; Fiscal Year: 2010..Established models of wire-induced injury of common carotid artery and hind limb ischemia in nude mice will be employed to determine the role of PGI2 derived from EPCs in ..