Genomes and Genes
common carotid artery
Summary: The two principal arteries supplying the structures of the head and neck. They ascend in the neck, one on each side, and at the level of the upper border of the thyroid cartilage, each divides into two branches, the external (CAROTID ARTERY, EXTERNAL) and internal (CAROTID ARTERY, INTERNAL) carotid arteries.
Publications193 found, 100 shown here
- Regression of the increased common carotid artery-intima media thickness in subclinical hypothyroidism after thyroid hormone replacementSoo Kyung Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, CHA University School of Medicine, Sungnam, Korea
Endocr J 56:753-8. 2009..whether subclinical hypothyroidism is associated with an increase in the intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery (C-IMT) and whether thyroid hormone replacement can reverse this change in the C-IMT...
- Arterial wave reflections and survival in end-stage renal failureG M London
Service d Hemodialyse, Hôpital F H Manhès, Fleury Merogis, Ste Genevieve des Bois, France
Hypertension 38:434-8. 2001The increased effect of arterial wave reflections on central arteries like the common carotid artery seen in end-stage renal failure (ESRF) patients favors myocardial hypertrophy and oxygen consumption and alters coronary blood flow ..
- Arterial wall thickening and stiffening in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetesMehmet Emre Atabek
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, School of Medicine, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 74:33-40. 2006We evaluated structural and functional characteristics of the common carotid artery (CCA), a marker of early carotid atherosclerosis, and investigated their relation to metabolic and anthropometric parameters in children and adolescents ..
- Anatomic relationship of the internal jugular vein and the common carotid artery applied to percutaneous transjugular proceduresUlku C Turba
Interventional Radiology, Medical University of South Carolina, 169 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 28:303-6. 2005PURPOSE: To demonstrate the anatomic relationship of the internal jugular vein (IJV) with the common carotid artery (CCA) in order to avoid inadvertent puncture of the CCA during percutaneous central venous access or transjugular ..
- Pial microvascular responses to transient bilateral common carotid artery occlusion: effects of hypertonic glycerolD Lapi
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Vasc Res 45:89-102. 2008The aim of the study was to assess the rat pial microvessel alterations due to transient bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (BCCAO) and to investigate the mechanism of 10% hypertonic glycerol neuroprotection...
- Effects of PCSK9 variants on common carotid artery intima media thickness and relation to ApoE allelesGiuseppe Danilo Norata
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Balzaretti 9, Milan, Italy
Atherosclerosis 208:177-82. 2010..PCSK9 plays a key role in plasma cholesterol metabolism by modulating the expression of LDL receptors...
- Ultrasonic evaluation of early atherosclerosis in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitusTaner Yavuz
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:1131-6. 2002....
- Circumferential strain in the wall of the common carotid artery: comparing displacement-encoded and cine MRI in volunteersAlexander P Lin
Bioengineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Magn Reson Med 60:8-13. 2008..We employed a displacement encoding with stimulated echoes (DENSE) sequence to image the motion of the common carotid artery wall and map the two-dimensional (2D) circumferential strain...
- Magnitude of alimentary lipemia is related to intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery in middle-aged menF Karpe
King Gustaf V Research Institute, Department of Emergency and Cardiovascular Medicine, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Atherosclerosis 141:307-14. 1998..after oral fat intake, an estimate of the intima-media thickness (IMT) was made using ultrasound of the common carotid artery, and postprandial TRL was quantified during a standardized oral fat tolerance test in 30 healthy normo- ..
- VEGF overexpression improves mice cognitive abilities after unilateral common carotid artery occlusionKonstanze Plaschke
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical Faculty, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Exp Neurol 214:285-92. 2008..In 33 V1 and wild-type (wt) mice, the left common carotid artery was permanently occluded (CCAO) under acute (48 h) and subchronic (12 days) conditions...
- Intensive diabetes therapy and carotid intima-media thickness in type 1 diabetes mellitusDavid M Nathan
DCCT EDIC Research Group at Box NDIC DCCT, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2294-303. 2003..We examined the progression of carotid intima-media thickness, a measure of atherosclerosis, in a population with type 1 diabetes...
- Leptin:adiponectin ratio is an independent predictor of intima media thickness of the common carotid arteryGiuseppe Danilo Norata
Stroke 38:2844-6. 2007..52) (P<0.01). CONCLUSIONS: We show here that the L:A ratio is a powerful independent predictor of IMT in healthy subjects and correlates with several anthropometric, metabolic, and clinical parameters better than each single adipokine...
- Cardiovascular risk factors and common carotid artery caliber and stiffness in patients with Cushing's disease during active disease and 1 year after disease remissionAntongiulio Faggiano
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2527-33. 2003..The persistence of a metabolic syndrome, vascular damage, and atherosclerotic plaques after cortisol level normalization makes these subjects still at high cardiovascular risk despite disease remission...
- Arterial Biology for the Investigation of the Treatment Effects of Reducing Cholesterol (ARBITER) 2: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of extended-release niacin on atherosclerosis progression in secondary prevention patients treated with statinsAllen J Taylor
Cardiovascular Research, Cardiology Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Ave, NW, Bldg 2, Room 3L28, Washington, DC 20307 5001, USA
Circulation 110:3512-7. 2004..Niacin reduces coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality when taken either alone or in combination with statins; however, the incremental impact of adding niacin to background statin therapy is unknown...
- In vivo quantification of carotid artery wall dimensions: 3.0-Tesla MRI versus B-mode ultrasound imagingR Duivenvoorden
Department of Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2:235-42. 2009..Our aim was to compare common carotid mean wall thickness (MWT) measurements by 3.0-T MRI with B-mode ultrasound common carotid intima-media thickness (CCIMT) measurements, a validated surrogate marker for cardiovascular disease...
- Idiopathic free-floating thrombus of the common carotid arteryBrian Silver
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Can J Neurol Sci 29:97-9. 2002BACKGROUND: The observation of an intraluminal common carotid artery thrombus overlying a wall defect at ultrasonography or angiography is unusual...
- Interrelations between brachial endothelial function and carotid intima-media thickness in young adults: the cardiovascular risk in young Finns studyMarkus Juonala
Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Circulation 110:2918-23. 2004..These observations suggest that endothelial dysfunction is an early event in atherosclerosis and that the status of systemic endothelial function may modify the association between risk factors and atherosclerosis...
- Duplex ultrasonography of the common carotid artery and external jugular vein of cowsUeli Braun
Department of Farm Animals, Veterinary Faculty, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 260, CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Vet Res 66:962-5. 2005OBJECTIVE: To determine blood flow patterns in the common carotid artery and external jugular vein in cows before and after sedation achieved by administration of xylazine hydrochloride. ANIMALS: 30 clinically normal Swiss Braunvieh cows...
- Effects of fractalkine receptor variants on common carotid artery intima-media thicknessGiuseppe D Norata
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Italy
Stroke 37:1558-61. 2006..In the present study, we investigated the possible association between CX3CR1variants and intima-media thickness (IMT)...
- Enhanced atherothrombotic formation after oxidative injury by FeCl3 to the common carotid artery in severe combined hyperlipidemic miceXunde Xian
Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Key Laboratory of Molecular Cardiovascular Sciences, Ministry of Education, Peking University Health Science Center, 38 Xueyuan Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100191, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 385:563-9. 2009..Conclusions: Severe combined hyperlipidemia promotes thrombosis after ferric chloride injury to atherosclerotic vessels and HTG plays a major role in the process...
- [A case of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage associated with bilateral common carotid artery occlusion]Tomohiro Araki
Department of Neurosurgery, Mie University School of Medicine, 2-174 Edobashi, Tsu-city, Mie 514-8507, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 30:853-8. 2002..of the literature, only four cases of aneurysmal subarchnoid hemorrhage (SAH) associated with bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (CCAO) have been reported in addition to the case we report here with a summary of the ..
- Endovascular repair of ascending aortic pseudoaneurysm: technical considerations of a common carotid artery approach using the Zenith aortic cuff endograftPeter H Lin
Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Endovasc Ther 14:794-8. 2007To present a technique for endovascular treatment using Zenith aortic cuff extenders delivered via a left common carotid artery (CCA) approach in a patient with a large symptomatic ascending aortic pseudoaneurysm.
- Measurement of common carotid artery lumen dynamics during the cardiac cycle using magnetic resonance TrueFISP cine imagingTracy Y Chow
Laboratory of Biomedical Imaging and Signal Processing, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Magn Reson Imaging 28:1527-32. 2008....
- [Influence of moxibustion of baihui (GV 20) on hemodynamics of common carotid artery in healthy subjects]Ning xia Zhao
Tangdu Hospital of the Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Zhen Ci Yan Jiu 32:252-4. 2007..To observe the effect of moxibustion of Baihui (GV 20) on the hemodynamics of internal carotid artery in health subjects so as to study its underlying mechanism of moxibustion in the treatment cerebrovascular disorders...
- The effect of temporary aneurysm clip on the common carotid artery of atherosclerotic rabbitsMurat Cosar
Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kocatepe University, Afyon 03200, Turkey
Surg Neurol 69:483-8; discussion 489. 2008..We compared the effect of temporary aneurysm clips on atherosclerotic and nonatherosclerotic CCA of rabbits by morphometric and ultrastructural methods...
- Carotid intima-media thickness in children and young adults with renal transplant: Internal carotid artery vs. common carotid arteryYelda Bilginer
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Pediatr Transplant 11:888-94. 2007..These changes can be detected by measuring CCA/ICA-IMT ultrasonographically. We suggest that early renal transplantation can potentially avoid long-term cardiovascular events in children with end stage kidney disease...
- WISE-2005: reduced cerebral blood flow velocity with nitroglycerin--comparison with common carotid artery blood flowK A Zuj
Cardiorespiratory and Vascular Dynamics Lab, Univ Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
J Gravit Physiol 14:P65-6. 2007..artery (MCA), the change in CBV in the MCA was compared with changes in quantitative flow measured in the common carotid artery (CCA)...
- Intima-media complex of both the brachial artery and the common carotid artery are associated with left ventricular hypertrophy in patients with previous myocardial infarctionStefan Agewall
Department of Cardiology, Huddinge University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Hypertens 23:119-25. 2005..The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between intima-media complex of the brachial artery to FMD, intima-media complex of the common carotid artery and cardiac hypertrophy in patients with coronary heart disease.
- Fully automated common carotid artery and internal jugular vein identification and tracking using B-mode ultrasoundDavid C Wang
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:1691-9. 2009We describe a fully automated ultrasound analysis system that tracks and identifies the common carotid artery (CCA) and the internal jugular vein (IJV)...
- In vivo tracking of dual-labeled mesenchymal stem cells homing into the injured common carotid arteryAi hong Cao
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Molecular and Functional Imaging, Department of Radiology, Zhongda Hospital, Southeast University, Nanjing 210009, China
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 292:1677-83. 2009..resonance imaging of labeled rat bone mesenchymal stem cells (BMSCs) as they home into the site of injured common carotid artery following allograft transplantation...
- Impact of prehypertension on common carotid artery intima-media thickness and left ventricular massEfstathios Manios
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, University of Athens School of Medicine, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece
Stroke 40:1515-8. 2009..The aim of our study was to assess the extent of CCA-IMT and left ventricular mass (LVM) in prehypertensive adults in comparison to normotensive and untreated hypertensive subjects...
- Does B-mode common carotid artery intima-media thickness differ from M-model?L M van Bortel
Department of Pharmacology, Maastricht University, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht CARIM, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ultrasound Med Biol 27:1333-6. 2001An increased intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery is thought to be an early sign of atherosclerosis...
- Measurement of common carotid artery intima-media thickness in clinical practice: comparison of B-mode and RF-based techniqueF H Schreuder
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Maastricht University Medical Centre, 6202 AZ Maastricht, Netherlands
Ultraschall Med 30:459-65. 2009The common carotid artery intima-media thickness (CCA-IMT) is usually measured using B-mode ultrasound images. A different approach for CCA-IMT detection is based on radio frequency (RF) multiple M-line analysis.
- Intima-media thickness: a new tool for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular riskAlain Simon
Centre de Medecine Preventive Cardiovasculaire, Hopital Broussais, Paris, France
J Hypertens 20:159-69. 2002..sites in near and far walls and (ii) computerized measurement restricted to the far wall of the distal common carotid artery. Because IMT reflects global cardiovascular risk, its normal value might be better defined in terms of ..
- Accelerated atherosclerosis in patients with Wegener's granulomatosisK de Leeuw
Department of Clinical Immunology, University Hospital, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 64:753-9. 2005..In addition to traditional risk factors, non-traditional risk factors such as endothelial activation and excessive vascular remodelling might be determinants of the progression of atherosclerosis in patients with an autoimmune disease...
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition with enalapril slows progressive intima-media thickening of the common carotid artery in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitusN Hosomi
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Kagawa Medical University School of Medicine, Kagawa, Japan
Stroke 32:1539-45. 2001..01+/-0.004 mm/y relative to the control group over the course of this study. CONCLUSIONS: Long-term treatment with an ACE inhibitor (enalapril) slows progressive IM thickening of the common carotid artery in NIDDM patients.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme I/D polymorphism and macrovascular disease in systemic sclerosisF Bartoli
Department of Medicine Section of Rheumatology, Villa Monna Tessa, Viale Pieraccini 18, 50122 Firenze, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:772-5. 2007..This study evaluates the relationship between intima-media thickness (IMT), ankle-brachial pressure measurements (ABPI) and ACE I/D polymorphism in SSc patients...
- Relationship of lumen diameter to type and degree of arterial remodeling at sites of expanding wall or plaque thickness in human carotid arteryRobert A Boyajian
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, Center for Brain Research and Treatment, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, Calif, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:228-37. 2004..Direction and magnitude of vessel remodeling are calculated for internal carotid, bifurcation, and common carotid artery segments...
- Snakes based segmentation of the common carotid artery intima mediaC P Loizou
Intercollege, Department of Computer Science, School of Sciences and Engineering, 92 Ayias Phylaxeos Str, P O Box 51604, CY 3507, Limassol, Cyprus
Med Biol Eng Comput 45:35-49. 2007..we present a snakes segmentation technique for detecting the intima-media layer of the far wall of the common carotid artery (CCA) in longitudinal ultrasound images, by applying snakes, after normalization, speckle reduction, and ..
- Endothelial dysfunction precedes atherosclerosis in systemic sclerosis--relevance for prevention of vascular complicationsG Szucs
3rd Department of Internal Medicine, Rheumatology Division, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center, Hungary, Moricz Zs Krt 22, H 4004 Debrecen, Hungary E mail
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:759-62. 2007....
- Common carotid artery intima-media thickness in patients with brain infarction and intracerebral haemorrhageKonstantinos N Vemmos
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, University of Athens, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:280-6. 2004An increase in the intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery (CCA-IMT) is generally considered as an early marker of atherosclerosis and has been associated with a higher risk of stroke and myocardial infarction...
- Which factors are related to the presence of atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis?S Wallberg-Jonsson
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital of Umea, Sweden
Scand J Rheumatol 33:373-9. 2004..The results are based on the co-analysis of retrospective data as well as cross-sectional data. The impact of RA per se on atherosclerosis was evaluated relative to age- and sex-matched controls...
- Migrating foreign body into the common carotid arteryKenny Peter Pang
Department of Otolaryngology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:667-8. 2005
- Assessment by cardiovascular magnetic resonance, electron beam computed tomography, and carotid ultrasonography of the distribution of subclinical atherosclerosis across Framingham risk strataSekar Kathiresan
Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Cardiol 99:310-4. 2007..In conclusion, in a community-based sample, correlations among subclinical atherosclerosis test results are low, and a substantial proportion has high levels of subclinical atherosclerosis detected on >or=2 imaging tests...
- Carotid-compression technique for the insertion of guiding cathetersS Yoshimura
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Division of Neuroscience, Gifu University Asahi, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 27:1710-1. 2006..Although this technique is not risk-free and care must be taken to avoid vascular injury by excessive compression, it is useful for the insertion of a guiding catheter into the carotid artery...
- Common carotid arterial interadventitial distance (diameter) as an indicator of the damaging effects of age and atherosclerosis, a cross-sectional study of the Atherosclerosis Risk in Community Cohort Limited Access Data (ARICLAD), 1987-89Marsha L Eigenbrodt
Department of Epidemiology, Fay W Boozman College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 4:1. 2006The effect of age on common carotid artery diameter is unclear for varying atherosclerosis risk levels.
- Common carotid intima-media thickness is predictive of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in elderly community-dwelling people: Longitudinal Investigation for the Longevity and Aging in Hokkaido County (LILAC) studyS Murakami
Department of Medicine, Medical Center East, Tokyo Women's Medical University, Nishiogu 2-1-10, Arakawa, Tokyo 116-8567, Japan
Biomed Pharmacother 59:S49-53. 2005..351 (1.029-5.372) and 2.890 (1.059-7.891), respectively. Carotid IMT assessed by ultrasonography is positively associated with an increased risk of all-cause and cardiovascular death in elderly community-dwelling people...
- Time rate of blood pressure variation is associated with increased common carotid artery intima-media thicknessNikos A Zakopoulos
Department of Clinical Therapeutics Alexandra Hospital, University of Athens, Greece
Hypertension 45:505-12. 2005..systolic BP (SBP) variation derived from ambulatory BP monitoring (ABPM) data analysis and the extent of common carotid artery (CCA) intima-media thickness (IMT) in normotensive (n=280) and in uncomplicated hypertensive subjects (n=..
- Sample size calculation for clinical trials using magnetic resonance imaging for the quantitative assessment of carotid atherosclerosisTobias Saam
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 7:799-808. 2005..This study provides the basis for sample size calculation of future MRI trials...
- p47phox-dependent NADPH oxidase regulates flow-induced vascular remodelingYves Castier
INSERM Centre de Recherche Cardiovasculaire Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Circ Res 97:533-40. 2005..in this process, we developed a new model of mouse arteriovenous fistula (AVF) connecting the right common carotid artery (RCCA) with the jugular vein, which does not affect blood pressure...
- Are your arteries older than your age?N Labropoulos
Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153 3304, USA
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 30:588-96. 2005..To determine the effect of age and atherosclerotic risk factors on the carotid intima-media layer thickness and morphology characteristics...
- Catheterization of the hepatic artery via the left common carotid artery in ratsXiao Li
Department of Radiology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, People's Republic of China
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:1073-6. 2006..A new method of rat hepatic artery catheterization via the left common carotid artery (LCCA) is described. The LCCA is repaired after catheterization...
- Chronic bilateral common carotid artery occlusion: a model for ocular ischemic syndrome in the ratDaniel Lavinsky
Biochemistry Department, ICBS, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:199-204. 2006..The reduction of blood flow produced by bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (BCCAO) of rats for 7 days induces events related to gliosis with no evident histological damage...
- Incident coronary events and case fatality in relation to common carotid intima-media thicknessM Rosvall
Department of Community Medicine, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Intern Med 257:430-7. 2005..To evaluate the incidence of coronary events (CE) and case fatality in relation to common carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) and carotid plaque over a median follow up of 7 years...
- A rare anomalous origin of right vertebral artery: findings on Doppler sonographyBahar Yanik
Department of Radiology, Social Security Ankara Hospital, , Ankara, Turkey
J Clin Ultrasound 32:211-4. 2004Anomalous origin of the right vertebral artery from the right common carotid artery occurs rarely...
- Permanent, bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in the rat: a model for chronic cerebral hypoperfusion-related neurodegenerative diseasesEszter Farkas
Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Szeged, H 6701 Szeged, P O Box 427, Hungary
Brain Res Rev 54:162-80. 2007..Thorough characterization of the model suggests that 2VO in the rat is suitable for the development of potentially neuroprotective strategies in neurodegenerative diseases...
- Shear stress in the common carotid artery is related to both intima-media thickness and echogenecity. The Prospective Investigation of the Vasculature in Uppsala Seniors studyLars Lind
Department of Medicine, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 43:299-308. 2009..the Vasculature in Uppsala Seniors (PIVUS) study, a population-based study of 1016 subjects aged 70, left common carotid artery diameter, IMT, the grey scale median (GSM) of the intima-media complex (IM-GSM) and the blood flow ..
- Increased thickness of the arterial intima-media detected by ultrasonography in patients with rheumatoid arthritisYasuro Kumeda
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1-4-3 Asahi-machi, Abeno-ku, Osaka 545-8585, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 46:1489-97. 2002..141 mm, respectively). Multiple regression analysis revealed a significant association between RA and the common carotid artery IMT...
- Comparison of the effects of losartan and atenolol on common carotid artery intima-media thickness in patients with hypertension: results of a 2-year, double-blind, randomized, controlled studyMalte Ludwig
University Clinic Bonn, Department of Medicine, Germany
Clin Ther 24:1175-93. 2002..and the beta-blocker atenolol on ultrasonographically determined intimamedia thickness (IMT) of the common carotid artery (CCA) in patients with mild to moderate essential hypertension...
- Body composition and common carotid artery remodeling in a healthy populationMichaela Kozakova
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3325-32. 2008..Body composition (BC) influences systemic hemodynamics and may participate in the remodeling of common carotid artery (CCA), independently of risk factors.
- Persistent impairment of gait performances and working memory after bilateral common carotid artery occlusion in the adult Wistar ratCristina Sarti
Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni 85, 50134 Firenze, Italy
Behav Brain Res 136:13-20. 2002..We investigated whether rats subjected to bilateral common carotid artery occlusion (bCCA-o) developed focal neurological deficits, gait dysfunction, and working memory alterations...
- Mucormycotic pseudoaneurysm of the common carotid artery with tracheal involvementS Hashemzadeh
Mycoses 51:347-51. 2008..Doppler ultrasonography and angiography of the neck revealed a pseudoaneurysm of the right common carotid artery. The patient then developed haemoptysis...
- Risk factors for progression of common carotid atherosclerosis: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study, 1987-1998Lloyd E Chambless
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 4145, USA
Am J Epidemiol 155:38-47. 2002..In summary, established risk factors for coronary heart disease are associated with the rate of change of subclinical atherosclerosis...
- Radiation effects on the intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery in post-radiotherapy patients with head and neck malignancyM Shariat
Radiology Department, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Postgrad Med J 84:609-12. 2008..In this study, irradiated subjects with major risk factors such as hypertension, diabetes, history of previous cerebrovascular accident and connective tissue disorder were excluded...
- Increased stiffness in common carotid artery in hyperthyroid Graves' disease patientsM Inaba
Department of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Biomed Pharmacother 56:241-6. 2002The present study was undertaken to assess the effect of hyperthyroidism on stiffness in the common carotid artery (CCA) in patients with Graves' disease (GD) and elucidate the mechanism by which arterial stiffness is increased in ..
- Relation between depressive symptoms and common carotid artery atherosclerosis in American persons > or =65 years of ageMohammed F Faramawi
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Am J Cardiol 99:1610-3. 2007..and could not determine the temporality between depressive symptoms and the development of abnormal common carotid artery (CCA) intima-media thickness (CCA-IMT)...
- Quantitative measurement of carotid intima-media roughness--effect of age and manifest coronary artery diseaseArno Schmidt-Trucksäss
Department of Rehabilitative and Preventative Sports Medicine, Center for Internal Medicine, Freiburg University Hospital, Hugstetter Street 55, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Atherosclerosis 166:57-65. 2003Atherosclerotic changes of the common carotid artery (CCA) may appear like irregularities of the intima-media thickness (abbreviated as IM roughness) in B-mode ultrasound...
- Effects of blood pressure lowering with amlodipine or lisinopril on vascular structure of the common carotid arteryA V Stanton
Peart Rose Clinic, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, St Mary s Hospital, London W2 1PG, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 101:455-64. 2001Increased intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery predicts increased risk of myocardial infarction and stroke. Preliminary evidence suggests that a decrease in blood pressure (BP) is associated with diminished wall thickness...
- Mycotic aneurysm of common carotid artery induced by Staphylococcus aureus infection after cervical reoperationA Machens
Department of General Surgery, Martin Luther University, Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Strasse 40, D 06097 Halle Saale, Germany
World J Surg 25:1113-6. 2001..We retrospectively analyzed all staphylococcal mycotic aneurysms of the common carotid artery. These aneurysms had developed after reoperative thyroid or parathyroid surgery, including resection of ..
- High bifurcation of common carotid artery, anomalous origin of ascending pharyngeal artery and anomalous branching pattern of external carotid arteryV Gluncic
Drago Perovic Department of Anatomy, Zagreb University School of Medicine, alata 11, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Surg Radiol Anat 23:123-5. 2001We present a rare case of combined high bifurcation of the common carotid artery, anomalous origin of the ascending pharyngeal artery and unusual branching pattern of the external carotid artery...
- Correlations between measures of atherosclerosis change using carotid ultrasonography and coronary angiographyW J Mack
Atherosclerosis Research Unit, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Atherosclerosis 150:371-9. 2000..Significant correlations between change in common carotid artery IMT and quantitative coronary angiographic measures of change were evident over all coronary artery ..
- Reproducibility of ultrasonographically determined intima-media thickness is dependent on arterial wall thickness. The Tromsø StudyE Stensland-Bugge
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, Norway
Stroke 28:1972-80. 1997....
- The stiffness of the common carotid artery in patients with Graves' diseaseM Czarkowski
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, University Medical School of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Int Angiol 21:152-7. 2002..We hypothesised that mechanical properties of the large arteries are also involved in hyperthyroidism-induced cardiovascular changes and set out to investigate this further...
- High-sensitivity C-reactive protein is independently associated with early carotid artery progression in women but not in men: the INVADE StudyKerstin Sander
Department of Neurology, Technical University of Munich, Mohlstrasse 28, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Stroke 38:2881-6. 2007..Therefore, we investigated the effect of hsCRP on early carotid atherosclerosis progression and major vascular risk factors in men and women...
- Arterial structure and function in young adults with the metabolic syndrome: the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns StudyNoora Mattsson
The Research Centre of Applied and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Turku, Finland
Eur Heart J 29:784-91. 2008..To study the relations between the metabolic syndrome (MS) and subclinical atherosclerosis in young adults...
- Smoking, fasting serum insulin, and obesity are the predictors of carotid atherosclerosis in relatively young subjectsTakayuki Naya
Department of Cardiorenal and Cerebrovascular Medicine, Division of Stroke, Kagawa University School of Medicine, Kagawa, Japan
Angiology 58:677-84. 2007..All subjects underwent carotid ultrasound examinations to determine maximal common carotid artery intima media thickness...
- Heritability of carotid artery distensibility in Hispanics: the Northern Manhattan Family StudySuh Hang Hank Juo
Genome Center, Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Stroke 36:2357-61. 2005..The importance of the genetic contribution to variation in distensibility is largely unknown. The purpose of this study was to estimate heritability of carotid distensibility...
- The relationship between carotid and coronary atherosclerotic damage in dialysis patientsF Fabbian
Department of Nephrology, St Anna Hospital, Ferrara Italy
Int J Artif Organs 30:315-20. 2007..Data relating carotid ultrasound (CU) to atherosclerotic damage evaluated by coronary angiography in hemodialysis patients are scarce...
- The evaluation of carotid intima-media thickness in children with familial Mediterranean feverHarun Peru
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Meram Medical Faculty, Selcuk University, 42080 Konya, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 27:689-94. 2008..Mean C-reactive protein (CRP), serum amyloid-A (SAA), homocysteine (Hcy), lipoprotein-a (Lp-a), and common carotid artery intima-media thickness (CCA-IMT) were 10.75 +/- 15.29 vs 4.03 +/- 1.20, 23.22 +/- 41.94 vs 3.53 +/- 1...
- Polymorphisms in MMP family and TIMP genes and carotid artery intima-media thicknessChristine Armstrong
Centre for Clinical Neuroscience, St George s University of London, Cranmer Terrace, Tooting, London, UK
Stroke 38:2895-9. 2007..We have therefore sought to address this issue in a large, well-phenotyped community population to assess the effect of a number of polymorphisms in both MMP and TIMP genes on carotid artery intima-media thickness (IMT)...
- Effect of antihypertensive therapy on progression of carotid intima-media thickness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusLing Zheng
Department of Neurology, Atherosclerosis Research Unit, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Cardiol 99:956-60. 2007..The antiatherogenic effect of antihypertensive agents, including BP normalization and possible direct vascular wall protection, can be detected by CIMT progression using B-mode ultrasound in patients with DM...
- Relation of subepicardial adipose tissue to carotid intima-media thickness in patients with human immunodeficiency virusGianluca Iacobellis
Cardiovascular Obesity Research and Management at the Michael G deGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Cardiol 99:1470-2. 2007..81, p <0.01). In conclusion, this study suggests, for the first time, that epicardial adipose tissue, an index of cardiac adiposity, may be significantly related to subclinical atherosclerosis in HIV-infected patients...
- Relevance of common carotid intima-media thickness and carotid plaque as risk factors for ischemic stroke in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusE J Lee
Department of Radiology, Myongji Hospital, Kwandong University, College of Medicine, Koyang, Korea
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:916-9. 2007An increase in the common carotid artery intima-media thickness (CCA-IMT) is generally considered an early marker of atherosclerosis...
- Renal resistive index and cardiovascular organ damage in a large population of hypertensive patientsM A Tedesco
Division of Cardiology, Second University of Naples, Monaldi Hospital, Naples, Italy
J Hum Hypertens 21:291-6. 2007..The evaluation of RRI could predict the presence of early CV damage and provide an accurate estimate of overall risk...
- Carotid artery intima media thickness, plaque and Framingham cardiovascular score in Asia, Africa/Middle East and Latin America: the PARC-AALA studyPierre Jean Touboul
Department of Neurology and Stroke Centre, Denis Diderot University Paris VII, 48 Rue R Huchard, Paris 75018, France
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 23:557-67. 2007..Africa/ Middle East and Latin America) study was designed to evaluate the correlation between intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery (CCAIMT), carotid plaque and absolute cardiovascular risk in a multi-ethnic population.
- Can measurement of the intima-media thickness of the carotid artery improve the diagnostic value of exercise stress tests?Hilde Heuten
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 61:501-5. 2006..The aim of this study is to evaluate whether measurements of intima-media thickness can improve the diagnostic value of stress ECG in the detection of coronary artery disease...
- Combination of multiple genetic risk factors is synergistically associated with carotid atherosclerosis in Japanese subjects with type 2 diabetesYoshimitsu Yamasaki
Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita City, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Diabetes Care 29:2445-51. 2006..However, the synergistic effects of SNPs have not been evaluated in detail...
- Carotid intima-media thickness in confirmed prehypertensive subjects: predictors and progressionRomana Femia
Department of Internal Medicine and Metabolism Unit of the C N R Institute of Clinical Physiology
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:2244-9. 2007....
- Independent association of matrix metalloproteinase-10, cardiovascular risk factors and subclinical atherosclerosisJ Orbe
Laboratory of Atherosclerosis, Division of Cardiovascular Sciences, Center for Applied Medical Research, Pamplona, Spain
J Thromb Haemost 5:91-7. 2007..Whether MMP-10 is associated with the severity of atherosclerosis remains to be determined. This study examines the relationship of systemic MMP-10 levels with atherosclerotic risk factors and subclinical atherosclerosis...
- Flow-mediated vasodilatation of the brachial artery and intima-media thickness of carotid artery in never-treated subjectsC Irace
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Magna Graecia University of Catanzaro, Catanzaro, Italy
Int Angiol 25:274-9. 2006..The present study investigated the relationship between FMD and IMT and carotid atherosclerosis in never treated subjects...
- Consumption of fruit and berries is inversely associated with carotid atherosclerosis in elderly menI Ellingsen
Department of Preventive Cardiology, Ulleval University Hospital, N 0047 Oslo, Norway
Br J Nutr 99:674-81. 2008..5 % adjusted difference in mean IMT. These findings suggest that consumption of fruit and berries may be protective against carotid atherosclerosis in elderly men at high risk of CVD...
- Endothelial dysfunction, intima-media thickness and coronary reserve in relation to risk factors and Framingham score in patients without clinical atherosclerosisRaquel Campuzano
, Hospital Universitario de Guadalajara, Spain
J Hypertens 24:1581-8. 2006..ultrasound was used to analyse endothelium-dependent vascular dilation in the brachial artery, IMT in the common carotid artery and CFR in the left anterior artery...
- Relationship between serum uric acid concentration, metabolic syndrome and carotid atherosclerosisRyuichi Kawamoto
Department of Internal Medicine, Seiyo Municipal Nomura Hospital, Seiyo
Intern Med 45:605-14. 2006..In men without metabolic syndrome, SUA was found to be an independent risk factor for incidence of carotid atherosclerosis...
- Cytokine polymorphisms associated with carotid intima-media thickness in stroke patientsDavid Brenner
Department of Neurology and Stroke Centre, Bichat University Hospital, Denis Diderot University and Medical School, Paris, France
Stroke 37:1691-6. 2006..Evidence exists that carotid IMT is heritable, and genetic studies can provide clues in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis...
- Increased intima-media thickness after early-onset preeclampsiaJudith Blaauw
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Obstet Gynecol 107:1345-51. 2006..An increase in IMT of the common carotid artery between the normal pregnancy and the nulliparous group was observed, which became significant after ..
- Association between risk factors and carotid enlargementRyuichi Kawamoto
Department of Internal Medicine, Nomura Municipal Hospital, Ehime
Intern Med 45:503-9. 2006..PATIENTS AND METHODS: We evaluated the diameter and intima-media thickness (IMT) of common carotid artery (CCA) by ultrasonography in 351 men aged 70.3 (range, 14-97) years and 474 women aged 75...
- Augmentation index and carotid intima-media thickness are differently related to age, C-reactive protein and oxidized low-density lipoproteinPriit Kampus
Department of Cardiology, National and European Centre of Excellence of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
J Hypertens 25:819-25. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the relationship between age, inflammatory and oxidative stress-related markers with functional and structural changes of the arteries in asymptomatic persons...
- Association of obesity and central fat distribution with carotid artery wall thickening in middle-aged womenMario De Michele
Departments of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Federico II, University, Naples, Italy
Stroke 33:2923-8. 2002..In the present analysis, we evaluated whether common carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) and area, 2 markers of preclinical atherosclerosis, were increased in obese subjects...
- Relationship between cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI) and carotid atherosclerosis in patients with essential hypertensionTakafumi Okura
Department of Integrated Medicine and Informatics, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Toon, Japan
Hypertens Res 30:335-40. 2007..492, r<0.0001) were independent determinants of CAVI. These results suggest that CAVI is a useful clinical marker for evaluating atherosclerosis and arteriolosclerosis in patients with essential hypertension...
- Relationship between C reactive protein and pulse pressure is not mediated by atherosclerosis or aortic stiffnessJacques Amar
Department of Internal Medicine and Arterial Hypertension, CHU Purpan, Toulouse, France
J Hypertens 22:349-55. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study demonstrate that changes in arterial structure and in arterial stiffness are not confounding factors in the relationship between PP and CRP...
- Is carotid artery intima-media thickening a reliable marker of early atherosclerosis?Jamil Mayet
Peart Rose Waller Centre for Circulatory Health, St Mary s Hospital, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK
J Cardiovasc Risk 9:77-81. 2002..This is an important observation, since it suggests that an increased carotid IMT cannot be relied on solely as a marker of early atherosclerosis...
- Middle Cerebral and Common Artery Occlusion and Poststroke EpilepsyKevin Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2007..in our laboratory indicate that transient (3 hr) unilateral (left-sided) middle cerebral artery (MCA) and common carotid artery (CCA) occlusion (MCA/CCAO) results in poststroke epilepsy less frequently in 4 mo old male Fischer 344 (..
- Circuit Weight Training and Blood Pressure Regulation in PrehypertensionWilliam Cooke; Fiscal Year: 2007..4) Using bidirectional transcutaneous Doppler ultrasound probes, pulse waves velocities between the left common carotid artery and the left femoral artery, and the left femoral artery and the superior dorsalis pedis artery will be ..
- Jun Kinase Signaling and Apoptosis in Ischemia StrokeChia Yi Kuan; Fiscal Year: 2006..With this in mind, a mouse model of global based on unilateral common carotid artery occlusion followed by hypoxia was created...
- NITRIC OXIDE IN ATHEROGENESIS AND ARTERIAL RELAXATIONRichard Cohen; Fiscal Year: 1999..to destruction, and mechanism of action of nitric oxide in the thoracic aorta compared with the common carotid artery might partially explain differences in susceptibility to atherosclerosis...
- Laser Catheter for Dethrombosis of Arterial OcclusionBrant Watson; Fiscal Year: 2005..containing an ultraviolet (UV) light-conducting glass optical fiber, which will be used to remove, from a common carotid artery (CCA) of a rat, an occlusive blood clot (thrombus) and to demonstrate, in particular, the effectiveness of ..
- Phytoestrogens and Progression of AtherosclerosisHOWARD HODIS; Fiscal Year: 2007..primary end point will be the progression of subclinical atherosclerosis measured as the rate of change in common carotid artery intima-media thickness in computer image processed B-mode ultrasonograms, a well-established noninvasive ..
- Intracranial Aneurysm Pathogenesis-Roles of Vascular Remodeling and InflammationTomoki Hashimoto; Fiscal Year: 2010..Using a rodent common carotid artery flow augmentation model, we will demonstrate that depletion of neutrophils and/or macrophages reduces flow-..
- Intracranial Aneurysm Pathogenesis-Roles of Vascular Remodeling and InflammationTomoki Hashimoto; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using a rodent common carotid artery flow augmentation model, we will demonstrate that depletion of neutrophils and/or macrophages reduces flow-..
- IMPORTANCE OF THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER IN STROKEW Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 1993..of embolic stroke on the microvasculature and brain parenchyma will be first investigated following common carotid artery thrombosis (CCA)...
- Prevention of Diabetes in Obese Hispanic AdolescentsMartha Cruz; Fiscal Year: 2005..risk factors (lipids, lipoproteins, blood pressure) and atherosclerosis (via intima media thickness of the common carotid artery and arterial stiffness) in Hispanic youth, before and after 12 weeks of treatment (30 mg/day) with ..
- Genetic analysis of neointimal hyperplasiaWeibin Shi; Fiscal Year: 2009..together with male F1 and two parental strains, will be subject to endothelial denudation of the left common carotid artery. Neointimal thickening will be quantitated by light microscopy...
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THROMBOEMBOLIC STROKEW Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION (adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): Transient distal platelet accumulation after common carotid artery thrombosis (CCAT) leads to structural, hemodynamic and molecular events-that may be expected to influence the ..
- Arterial baroreceptor unloading causes hypertensionTERRY THRASHER; Fiscal Year: 2005..In this model, ligation of the common carotid artery proximal to the innervated carotid sinus produces a significant and sustained increase in systemic ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THROMBOEMBOLIC STROKEW Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 1999..barrier, hemodynamic and neurochemi calabnormalities generated by photochemically induced nonocclusive common carotid artery thrombosis (CCAT) in rats...
- Improving Vascular Measures of Cardiovascular DiseaseMarsha Eigenbrodt; Fiscal Year: 2005..Two inexpensive, non-invasive measures include B-mode ultrasound evaluation of common carotid artery intima medial thickness (IMT) and microvascular abnormalities on retinal photographs...
- Genetic analysis of neointimal hyperplasiaWeibin Shi; Fiscal Year: 2007..together with male F1 and two parental strains, will be subject to endothelial denudation of the left common carotid artery. Neointimal thickening will be quantitated by light microscopy...
- n-Stent Stenosis Model in Type 2 Diabetic RatsTiangen Wu; Fiscal Year: 2005..Stents will be deployed in the left common carotid artery of two cohorts of twelve rats each...
- Mechanisms of endothelial repair after vascular injuryZvonimir S Katusic; Fiscal Year: 2010..Established models of wire-induced injury of common carotid artery and hind limb ischemia in nude mice will be employed to determine the role of PGI2 derived from EPCs in ..