- Traditional care of the perineum during birth. A prospective, randomized, multicenter study of 1,076 women
Departments of Gynecology and Obstetrics and of Medical Computer Sciences, University of Vienna Medical School, and Semmelweis Frauenklinik, A 1090 Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, Austria
J Reprod Med 47:477-82. 2002
..To investigate the influence of the traditional hands-on versus the innovative hands-poised method on the risk of perineal trauma during vaginal delivery and on neonatal outcomes...
- Incidence, severity, and determinants of perineal pain after vaginal delivery: a prospective cohort study
Alison J Macarthur
Department of Anesthesia, University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1199-204. 2004
..Four hundred forty-four women were followed up, including women with an intact perineum (n=84), first-/second-degree tears (n=220), episiotomies (n=97), or third-/fourth-degree tears (n=46)...
- Laparoscopic-assisted versus open abdominoperineal resection for low rectal cancer: a prospective randomized trial
Simon S M Ng
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
Ann Surg Oncol 15:2418-25. 2008
..Recurrence and survival data were also recorded and compared between the two groups...
- Oncological outcomes after total mesorectal excision for cure for cancer of the lower rectum: anterior vs. abdominoperineal resection
Department of Surgery, St Olavs Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Dis Colon Rectum 47:48-58. 2004
..This study was designed to examine the outcome of cancer of the lower rectum, particularly the rates of local recurrence and survival for tumors located in this area that have been treated by anterior or abdominoperineal resections...
- Fecal and urinary incontinence after vaginal delivery with anal sphincter disruption in an obstetrics unit in the United States
Dee E Fenner
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:1543-9; discussion 1549-50. 2003
- The development of the male genitourinary system. I. The origin of the urorectal septum and the formation of the perineum
P J Hynes
Department of Anatomy, University College, Cork, Ireland
Br J Plast Surg 57:27-36. 2004
..1) division of the cloaca into the urogenital sinus and hindgut by the urorectal septum and the formation of the perineum; (2) the extension of the cloaca and its epithelium in the form of the urethral plate through the developing ..
- An Australian prospective cohort study of risk factors for severe perineal trauma during childbirth
Hannah G Dahlen
Sydney South Western Area Health Service, RPA Women and Babies, Missenden Road, Camperdown 2050, NSW, Australia
Midwifery 23:196-203. 2007
..to determine risk factors for the occurrence of severe perineal trauma (third and fourth degree tears) during childbirth...
- Risk factors for third degree perineal ruptures during delivery
J W De Leeuw
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ikazia Hospital, The Netherlands
BJOG 108:383-7. 2001
..If the obstetric situation permits use of either instrument, the vacuum extractor should be the instrument of choice with respect to the prevention of faecal incontinence...
- No reduction in instrumental vaginal births and no increased risk for adverse perineal outcome in nulliparous women giving birth on a birth seat: results of a Swedish randomized controlled trial
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Division of Reproductive and Perinatal Health Care, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm SE 171 76, Sweden
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 11:22. 2011
- Risk factors and obstetric complications associated with macrosomia
N E Stotland
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 87:220-6. 2004
..Macrosomia is associated with adverse maternal outcomes. The objective of this study was to characterize the epidemiology of macrosomia and related maternal complications...
- Fecal and urinary incontinence in primiparous women
Duquesne University, Department of Physical Therapy, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15282, USA
Obstet Gynecol 108:863-72. 2006
..To prospectively investigate the relationship between anal sphincter tears and postpartum fecal and urinary incontinence...
- Is Asian ethnicity an independent risk factor for severe perineal trauma in childbirth? A systematic review of the literature
Liverpool Hospital, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Elizabeth Street, Liverpool, NSW, 2170, Australia
Women Birth 25:107-13. 2012
..To undertake a systematic review of the literature to determine whether Asian ethnicity is an independent risk factor for severe perineal trauma in childbirth...
- Radical perineal prostatectomy: cost efficient, outcome effective, minimally invasive prostate cancer management
Michael J Harris
Northern Institute of Urology, 1020 Sixth Street, Traverse City, MI 49684, USA
Eur Urol 44:303-8; discussion 308. 2003
..This method of anatomic radical perineal prostatectomy has been developed to accomplish a minimally invasive method of achieving goals of disease control and preservation of genito-urinary functions...
- Cell lineage analysis demonstrates an endodermal origin of the distal urethra and perineum
Ashley W Seifert
Department of Zoology, University of Florida, Cancer Genetics Research Complex, PO Box 103610, Gainesville, FL 32610 3610, USA
Dev Biol 318:143-52. 2008
..Surprisingly, the lineage map also revealed an endodermal origin of the perineum, which is the first demonstration that endoderm differentiates into skin...
- Obstetric factors associated with levator ani muscle injury after vaginal birth
University College Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 107:144-9. 2006
..To identify obstetric factors associated with development of levator ani injury after vaginal birth...
- PErineal Assessment and Repair Longitudinal Study (PEARLS): protocol for a matched pair cluster trial
Debra E Bick
King s College London, Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery, James Clerk Maxwell Building, 57 Waterloo Road, London, UK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:10. 2010
..Implementation of a standardised training package to support effective perineal management practices could reduce perineal pain and other related postnatal morbidity for a substantial number of women...
- The devlopment of the perineum in the human. A comprehensive histological study with a special reference to the role of the stromal components
S C J van der Putte
Department of Pathology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol 177:1-131. 2005
- Circumferential resection margin involvement after laparoscopic abdominoperineal excision for rectal cancer
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Colorectal Dis 14:431-7. 2012
..This study aimed to evaluate circumferential resection margin (CRM) involvement in patients with rectal adenocarcinoma after laparoscopic abdominoperineal excision (APR)...
- Median raphe cysts of the perineum in children
Pediatric Surgery Department, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Urology 71:830-1. 2008
Median raphe cysts of the perineum are uncommon congenital lesions of the male genitalia. They can be found all the way from the distal penis and scrotum toward the perineum in a midline position...
- Perineal outcomes and maternal comfort related to the application of perineal warm packs in the second stage of labor: a randomized controlled trial
Hannah G Dahlen
Sydney South Western Area Health Service, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Birth 34:282-90. 2007
..The aim of this study was to determine the effects of applying warm packs to the perineum on perineal trauma and maternal comfort during the late second stage of labor.
- Aggressive angiomyxoma of the female pelvis and perineum: a case series
P M Magtibay
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mayo Clinic, 13400 East Shea Boulevard, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Int J Gynecol Cancer 16:396-401. 2006
..These tumors are benign, locally infiltrative mesenchymal neoplasms with a predilection for the female pelvis and perineum and a tendency to recur...
- How good are we at implementing evidence to support the management of birth related perineal trauma? A UK wide survey of midwifery practice
Debra E Bick
Professor of Evidence Based Midwifery Practice Kings College London, Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery, 57 Waterloo Road, London SE1 8WA, UK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12:57. 2012
..We wished to identify how midwives in the UK assessed and repaired perineal trauma and the extent to which practice reflected evidence based guidance. Findings would be used to inform the content of a large intervention study...
- Descending perineum syndrome: are abdominal hysterectomy and bowel habits linked?
Dipartimento di Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, Sezione di Clinica Chirurgica Generale e Discipline Chirurgiche, Unità di Colon Proctologia, Universita di Firenze, Firenze Careggi, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 48:2094-9. 2005
This retrospective study evaluates the effect of abdominal hysterectomy on patients affected by descending perineum syndrome.
- Accessory breast in the perineum
Department of Surgery, North Bengal Medical College and Hospital, Sushruta Nagar, Darjeeling 734432, India
Trop Doct 33:245. 2003
A rare case of functional accessory breast in the perineum presenting in labour is reported. It showed a well-formed nipple and pregnancy induced changes. The organ was completely excised postpartum...
- Increased blood loss in upright birthing positions originates from perineal damage
A de jonge
Department of General Practice, Women Studies Medicine, University Medical Centre St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
BJOG 114:349-55. 2007
..To assess whether the risk of severe blood loss is increased in semi-sitting and sitting position, and if so, to which extent blood loss from perineal damage is responsible for this finding...
- Perineal techniques during the second stage of labour for reducing perineal trauma
Department of Postgraduate Studies, Bergen University College, Møllendalsveien 6, PO Box7030, Bergen, Norway, 5020
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 12:CD006672. 2011
..Different perineal techniques and interventions are being used to prevent perineal trauma. These interventions include perineal massage, warm compresses and perineal management techniques...
- Characteristics associated with severe perineal and cervical lacerations during vaginal delivery
Helain J Landy
of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Georgetown University Hospital, MedStar Health, Washington, DC 20007 2110, USA
Obstet Gynecol 117:627-35. 2011
..To characterize potentially modifiable risk factors for third- or fourth-degree perineal lacerations and cervical lacerations in a contemporary U.S. obstetric practice...
- Relaxin of prostatic origin might be linked to perineal hernia formation in dogs
Gert W Niebauer
Clinic for Surgery, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinaerplatz 1, Vienna, Austria, A 1210
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1041:415-22. 2005
..Relaxin of prostatic origin, therefore, is possibly a local factor in connective tissue weakening and subsequently in perineal hernia formation...
- Is severe perineal damage increased in women with prior anal sphincter injury?
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 19:723-7. 2006
..This retrospective chart review seeks to examine the risk of recurrence of obstetric anal sphincter lacerations...
- Anal sphincter lacerations and upright delivery postures--a risk analysis from a randomized controlled trial
Pelvic Floor Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karolinska Institute Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:141-6. 2007
..To evaluate obstetric sphincter lacerations after a kneeling or sitting position at second stage of labor in a multivariate risk analysis model...
- The use of porcine small intestinal submucosa as a biomaterial for perineal herniorrhaphy in the dog
Melissa R Stoll
Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, The Comparative Orthopaedic Laboratory, The College of Engineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA
Vet Surg 31:379-90. 2002
- Postpartum sexual functioning and its relationship to perineal trauma: a retrospective cohort study of primiparous women
L B Signorello
Obstetrics and Gynecology Epidemiology Center, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 184:881-8; discussion 888-90. 2001
..retrospective cohort design in 3 groups of primiparous women after vaginal birth: Group 1 (n = 211) had an intact perineum or first-degree perineal tear; group 2 (n = 336) had second-degree perineal trauma; group 3 (n = 68) had third- ..
- Trans-rectal versus trans-perineal saturation rebiopsy of the prostate: is there a difference in cancer detection rate?
University Vita Salute San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
Urology 77:921-5. 2011
..To test the hypothesis that there is no significant difference in the rate of prostate cancer (PCa) detection rate between the transrectal and transperineal approach in men undergoing a saturation (24-core) prostate rebiopsy...
- Unusual anogenital apocrine tumor resembling mammary-like gland adenoma in male perineum: a case report
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8544, Japan
Diagn Pathol 5:42. 2010
..no mammary-like glands were present in the dermis around the tumor, this unusual apocrine tumor has been suggested to be derived from male anogenital mammary-like glands and mimic a mammary-like gland adenoma in the male perineum.
- [Risk factors for 3rd and 4th degree perineal ruptures during delivery]
Gynekologicko porodnická klinika LF UK a FN, Plzen
Ceska Gynekol 70:30-6. 2005
..Summary of the mutual relationship between vaginal delivery and anal incontinence...
- Fetal head circumference and length of second stage of labor are risk factors for levator ani muscle injury, diagnosed by 3-dimensional transperineal ultrasound in primiparous women
Dan V Valsky
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Centers, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Obstet Gynecol 201:91.e1-7. 2009
..We evaluated rate of levator ani muscle (LAM) avulsion among primiparae using 3-dimensional transperineal ultrasound to identify possible risk factors for such trauma...
- Pedicled gracilis myocutaneous flap for treatment of recalcitrant hidradenitis suppurativa of the groin and perineum
N S Solanki
Clinical School of Medicine, Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK
J Wound Care 18:111-2. 2009
..Use of this flap achieved immediate closure of a complex groin wound following a radical excision. The patient recovered quickly and was pleased with the aesthetic results, while there was no sign of recurrence at three-month follow-up...
- A prospective observational study on tears during vaginal delivery: occurrences and risk factors
Perinatal Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, 416 85 Goteborg, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 81:44-9. 2002
..To ascertain the occurrence and distribution of various types of I-IV degree tears, during childbirth, and analyze risk factors for perineal II degree tears...
- Perineal trauma and postpartum perineal morbidity in Asian and non-Asian primiparous women giving birth in Australia
Royal Hospital for Women and University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 37:455-63. 2008
..To describe the postpartum perineal morbidity of primiparous women who had a vaginal birth and compare outcomes between Asian and non-Asian women in the first 2 days following the birth and at 6 and 12 weeks postpartum...
- A Prospective longitudinal evaluation of quality of life after abdominoperineal resection
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Surg Oncol 97:14-9. 2008
..Abdominoperineal resection (APR) is a disfiguring procedure, frequently associated with significant urogenital dysfunction. The aim of this prospective study was to repeatedly assess quality of life (QoL) 1, 6, and 12 months after APR...
- [Defecation problems following radical perineal prostatectomy. A prospective study]
Urologische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum, RWTH, Aachen
Urologe A 42:677-84. 2003
..The true incidence of bowel symptoms prior to radical prostatectomy, as evaluated by a differentiated questionnaire, is unknown. We therefore performed a prospective study on patients who were scheduled for radical perineal prostatectomy...
- Does perineal suturing make a difference? The SUNS trial
Valerie E M Fleming
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Community Health, Glasgow Caledonian University, UK
BJOG 110:684-9. 2003
..To examine differences in outcome between primiparous women who do and who do not have suturing to first or second degree perineal lacerations sustained during spontaneous vaginal births after 37 weeks of gestation...
- [Immediate and long term complications of episiotomy]
Département de gynécologie obstétrique, Hopital de Hautepierre, Avenue Moliere, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 35:1S59-1S67. 2006
..The objective of this review was to describe the complications of episiotomy...
- Maternal position at midwife-attended birth and perineal trauma: is there an association?
Department of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Mater Mothers Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Birth 32:164-9. 2005
..This study aimed to examine the association between maternal position at birth and perineal outcome in women who had a midwife-attended, spontaneous vaginal birth and an uncomplicated pregnancy at term...
- The pros and cons of suctioning at the perineum (intrapartum) and post-delivery with and without meconium
Department of Pediatrics, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 13:375-82. 2008
..Although depressed infants born through MSAF are at risk of developing MAS, there is no evidence that endotracheal suctioning of these infants reduces MAS...
- [Prevalence of urinary incontinence and pelviperineal rehabilitation during the postpartum in a cohort of primipara and secondipara patients]
Clinica di Ginecologia ed Ostetricia, Universita Degli Studi di Udine, 33100 Udine, Italia
Minerva Ginecol 61:89-95. 2009
..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the prevalence of urinary incontinence and pelviperineal disorders in the local context, and also that of pelviperineal rehabilitation...
- Episiotomy and increase in the risk of obstetric laceration in a subsequent vaginal delivery
Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Magee Womens Hospital, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Obstet Gynecol 111:1274-8. 2008
..To examine whether episiotomy at first vaginal delivery increases the risk of spontaneous obstetric laceration in the subsequent delivery...
- Rupture of the sphincter ani: the recurrence rate in second delivery
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Helsingborg Hospital, Sweden
BJOG 111:1361-4. 2004
..Injury to the genital tract sustained during childbirth can lead to transient or protracted morbidity. Attention should be paid to avoidable risk factors that can cause this complication...
- Evaluation of postpartum perineal pain and dyspareunia--a prospective study
Clinical Research Fellow, Mayday University Hospital, United Kingdom
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 137:152-6. 2008
..We aimed to determine the prevalence of dyspareunia and perineal pain using validated pain scores following accurate classification of perineal trauma according to the guidelines of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists...
- Risk factors for perineal wound complications following abdominoperineal resection
Caprice K Christian
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 48:43-8. 2005
..Perineal wound complications are common following abdominoperineal resection. This study investigates the factors contributing to these complications...
- Comparative effectiveness of perineal versus retropubic and minimally invasive radical prostatectomy
Sandip M Prasad
Division of Urologic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Urol 185:111-5. 2011
..In our population based study we compared the use and outcomes of perineal radical prostatectomy vs retropubic and minimally invasive radical prostatectomy...
- A novel concept for the surgical anatomy of the perineal body
Department of Surgery and Experimental Research, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Dis Colon Rectum 50:2120-5. 2007
..We investigated the hypothesis that perineal body is the site across which perineal muscles pass uninterrupted from one side to the other...
- Hands on or hands off the perineum: a survey of care of the perineum in labour (HOOPS)
The Chilterns, Women s Health, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, BS10 5NB, UK
Int Urogynecol J 22:1279-85. 2011
There seems to be a temporal association between increasing use of "hands off" the perineum in labour and reduced use of episiotomy with an increasing rate of anal sphincter injuries...
- One-stage posttraumatic bladder reconstruction and soft-tissue coverage of the lower abdomen or perineum
Chih Wei Wu
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University and Medical College, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Ann Plast Surg 64:65-8. 2010
..on pelvis may be complicated by urinary bladder ruptures and soft-tissue avulsion of the lower abdominal wall or perineum. With retraction of the avulsed abdominal wall or perineum, as well as bladder tissue loss secondary to trauma or ..
- Prostate cancer distribution in patients diagnosed by transperineal template-guided saturation biopsy
Gregory S Merrick
Schiffler Cancer Center, Wheeling Hospital and Wheeling Jesuit University, Wheeling, WV 26003 6300, USA
Eur Urol 52:715-23. 2007
..To determine the prostate cancer incidence, anatomic distribution, Gleason score profile, and tumor burden in patients diagnosed by transperineal template-guided saturation biopsy (TTSB)...
- Birth position, accoucheur, and perineal outcomes: informing women about choices for vaginal birth
Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences, University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Birth 29:18-27. 2002
- Factors related to genital tract trauma in normal spontaneous vaginal births
Leah L Albers
College of Nursing, and in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 5688, USA
Birth 33:94-100. 2006
..The purpose of this investigation was to identify maternal and clinical factors related to genital tract trauma in normal, spontaneous vaginal births...
- Obstetric perineal injury: risk factors and strategies for prevention
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University College Dublin, National Maternity Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Semin Perinatol 27:13-9. 2003
..Injury can be prevented or minimized by enhancing uterine contractility during first labors, optimizing perineal repair technique, and by appropriate postnatal assessment of symptomatic women...
- Extensive transperineal template biopsies of prostate: modified technique and results
Simon R J Bott
Department of Urology, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, Surrey, United Kingdom
Urology 68:1037-41. 2006
..To describe the modified technique and results of extensive transperineal template prostate biopsies in men with a high risk of prostate cancer in whom repeated transrectal biopsies are not diagnostic...
- Impact of a novel, extended approach of perineal radical prostatectomy on surgical margins in localized prostate cancer
Department of Urology, Shimane University School of Medicine, Izumo, Japan
BJU Int 106:44-8. 2010
..Therapy (case series) Level of Evidence 4...
- The anatomic radical perineal prostatectomy: an outcomes-based evolution
Michael J Harris
Northern Institute of Urology, 4100 Park Forest Drive, Suite 200, Traverse City, MI 49684, USA
Eur Urol 52:81-8. 2007
..Perineal prostatectomy is modified to incorporate contemporary surgical ideas, including preservation of cavernosal nerve bundles, sphincteric urethra at the prostatic apex, and the bladder neck...
- Radical perineal prostatectomy for treatment of localized prostate cancer in obese and nonobese patients: a matched control study
Benjamin K Yang
Division of Urologic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Urology 67:990-5. 2006
..To compare the perioperative outcomes of severely obese and nonobese patients undergoing radical perineal prostatectomy (RPP)...
- Role of transperineal six-core prostate biopsy in patients with prostate-specific antigen level greater than 10 ng/mL and abnormal digital rectal examination findings
Lorenzo G Luciani
Department of Urology, S M Misericordia Hospital University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Urology 67:555-8. 2006
..Recent studies have suggested that the six-core biopsy is inadequate for the diagnosis of prostate cancer; however, it remains controversial whether an increased number of cores is justified in all patients...
- Sutured perineal omentoplasty after abdominoperineal resection for adenocarcinoma of the lower rectum
E De Broux
Department of General and Digestive Surgery, Hospital Saint Antoine AP HP, Pierre et Marie Curie University, Paris, France
Dis Colon Rectum 48:476-81; discussion 481-2. 2005
..This study was designed to describe and evaluate the efficacy of sutured perineal omentoplasty on perineal wound healing after abdominoperineal resection for adenocarcinoma of the lower rectum...
- Primary perineal wound closure after preoperative radiotherapy and abdominoperineal resection has a high incidence of wound failure
Kelli M Bullard
Department of Surgery, Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 48:438-43. 2005
..Despite its efficacy, preoperative radiation therapy may inhibit healing and contribute to wound complications. This study was designed to evaluate perineal wound complications after abdominoperineal resection...
- Vacuum-assisted closure of complex perineal wounds
David M Schaffzin
Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1745-8. 2004
..Its use in the perineum presents a challenge, but with proper application, even the most complex perineal wounds can be healed.
- Rectus flap reconstruction decreases perineal wound complications after pelvic chemoradiation and surgery: a cohort study
David B Chessin
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 12:104-10. 2005
..Our purpose was to determine the effect of rectus abdominus myocutaneous (RAM) flap reconstruction on perineal wound morbidity in this population...
- Surgical management of perineal masses in patients with anorectal malformations
Donald B Shaul
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Pediatr Surg 40:188-91. 2005
..The aim of this study was to review the outcome of surgical management of various types of perineal masses encountered in patients with anorectal malformations (ARM)...
- Test-retest and intra-observer repeatability of two-, three- and four-dimensional perineal ultrasound of pelvic floor muscle anatomy and function
Ingeborg Hoff Braekken
Department of Sports Medicine, Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, P O Box 4014, Ulleval Stadion, 0806 Oslo, Norway
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 19:227-35. 2008
..56, 0.59 and 0.51, respectively. Perineal ultrasound is a reliable method for measuring most of the tested parameters of morphology and function of the PFMs...
- Perineal stapled prolapse resection: a new procedure for external rectal prolapse
Center for Colorectal and Pelvic Floor Surgery, Waldfriede Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1727-30. 2008
..This technique has been modified to the perineal stapled prolapse resection. The surgical technique and the preliminary results of the new procedure for external rectal prolapse are presented...
- The practice of episiotomy in public hospitals in Hong Kong
K W Lam
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 12:94-8. 2006
..To review the use of episiotomy during vaginal delivery in Hong Kong public hospitals...
- Outcomes of immediate vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap reconstruction for irradiated abdominoperineal resection defects
Charles E Butler
Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Am Coll Surg 206:694-703. 2008
..Many surgeons are reluctant to use VRAM flaps unless primary closure is not possible...
- Prenatal sonographic diagnosis of congenital perineal skin tag: case report and review of the literature
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hadassah University Hospital Mt Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel
Prenat Diagn 26:1065-7. 2006
..Skin tags, or acrochordons, are benign, soft, fleshy tumors that are composed of hyperplastic epidermis covering a dermal connective tissue stalk...
- Surgisis mesh repair of a postsacrectomy perineal hernia along with posterior proctosigmoidectomy for concomitant stricture
Abdullah A Al-Haddad
Department of Surgery, Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, DeWitt Daughtry Family Department of Surgery, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Am Surg 73:1129-32. 2007
..We additionally present a review of the literature and treatment of this rare disease...
- Breeding status affects motoneuron number and muscle size in naked mole-rats: recruitment of perineal motoneurons?
Department of Psychology and Center for Neuroendocrine Studies, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
J Neurobiol 66:1354-64. 2006
..We propose that small, relatively undifferentiated cells are recruited to the pool of large Onuf's nucleus motoneurons when subordinate naked mole-rats become breeders...
- Multiple polypoid basal cell carcinomas on the perineum of a patient with basal cell nevus syndrome
Steven Q Wang
Department of Medicine, Dermatology Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:S36-7. 2007
..patient with basal cell nevus syndrome (BCNS) who developed multiple polypoid basal cell carcinomas (PBCC) in the perineum. PBCC is a rare variant of nodular BCCs. Clinically, PBCCs mimic acrochordons...
- Proximal-type epithelioid sarcoma: report of two cases in the perineum: differential diagnosis and review of soft tissue tumors with epithelioid and/or rhabdoid features
Eduardo Alfredo Zevallos-Giampietri
Department of Pathology, King Khali Hospital, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 13:221-30. 2005
..magnetic resonance imaging showed a 14-cm nonencapsulated tumor involving the soft tissues of the inner thigh and perineum, as well as metastasis in right inguinal and retroperitoneal lymph nodes...
- Meshless repair of perineal hernia after abdominoperineal resection: case report
F H Remzi
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Department of Colorectal Surgery, A 30, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Tech Coloproctol 9:142-4. 2005
..The patient recovered well and after 35 months of follow-up, there was no evidence of hernia recurrence. When mesh placement is not feasible, this bladder mobilization technique can replace it...
- Tears in the vagina, perineum, sphincter ani, and rectum and first sexual intercourse after childbirth: a nationwide follow-up
Department of Caring Sciences and Public Health, Mälardalen s University, Eskilstuna, Sweden
Birth 35:98-106. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether or not tears in the vagina, perineum, sphincter ani, or rectum hindered sexual intercourse during the year after childbirth.
- Perineal lipomas associated with anorectal malformations
Department of Paediatric Surgery, University Children s Hospital, 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Pediatr Surg Int 22:979-81. 2006
..Excision is best performed at time of anorectal reconstruction. Although our experience is limited, bowel function seems to be compromised by these lesions...
- Phenotypic variation in functional disorders of defecation
Adil E Bharucha
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 128:1199-210. 2005
..Our aim was to characterize phenotypic variability in constipated patients by anorectal assessments...
- Primary perineal posterior hernia: an abdominoperineal approach for mesh repair of the pelvic floor
Mara R Salum
Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, UNIFESP, SaoPaulo, SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 60:71-4. 2005
..Long-term follow-up has shown no recurrence of the condition and normal bowel function. It is concluded that primary perineal hernia can be repaired by a combined surgical approach, by using prosthetic material...
- Pudendal nerve decompression in perineology: a case series
Gynaecology, CHU Sart Tilman, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
BMC Surg 4:15. 2004
..The second aim was to study the clinical value of the aforementioned clinical signs in the diagnosis of PCS...
- Use of vacuum-assisted closure for healing of a persistent perineal sinus following panproctocolectomy: report of a case
Department of Surgery, Altnagelvin Area Hospital, Londonderry, United Kingdom
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1403-7; discussion 1407-8. 2004
..This technique was successfully used in the management of a perineal sinus, which occurred after proctectomy for rectal cancer developing on a background of inflammatory bowel disease and preoperative radiotherapy...
- V-Y fasciocutaneous pudendal thigh flap for repair of perineum and genital region after necrotizing fasciitis: modification and new indication
Hamdy A El-Khatib
Department of Plastic Surgery, Rumailah Hospital, Doha, Qatar
Ann Plast Surg 48:370-5. 2002
..The aim of this study was to review 13 cases of necrotizing fasciitis of the perineum and the external genitalia region with regard to the diagnosis, treatment, and methods of reconstruction of ..
- Continuous versus interrupted perineal repair with standard or rapidly absorbed sutures after spontaneous vaginal birth: a randomised controlled trial
Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Women and Children s Division, City General Site, Stoke on Trent ST4 6QG, UK
Lancet 359:2217-23. 2002
Trauma to the perineum is a serious and frequent problem after childbirth, with about 350000 women each year in the UK needing sutures for perineal injury after spontaneous vaginal delivery, and many millions more worldwide...
- Postoperative perineal hernia
Alaa S O Abdul Jabbar
Department of Surgery MBC 40, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, PO Box 3354, Riyadh 11211, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Hernia 6:188-90. 2002
..This report describes a patient with a large perineal hernia after an abdominoperineal resection. The spectrum of perineal hernias, the aetiology, and the different techniques of surgical repair are discussed...
- Racial differences in severe perineal lacerations after vaginal delivery
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:1063-7. 2003
..The purpose of this study was to determine the relationship between maternal race and rates of third- and fourth-degree laceration after vaginal delivery...
- Perineal rectosigmoidectomy (Altemeier's procedure): a review of physiology, technique and outcome
A P Zbar
Department of Medicine and Clinical Research, Queen Elisabeth Hospital, University of West Indies, Martindales Road, St Michael, Barbados
Tech Coloproctol 6:109-16. 2002
..The lack of prospective randomized data regarding this perineal approach makes clinical interpretation difficult at the present time...
- Perineal descent and levator ani hernia: a dynamic magnetic resonance imaging study
Susan L Gearhart
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1298-304. 2004
..This study was designed to identify any specific symptoms and/or physical findings associated with these hernias...
- How to treat the persistent perineal sinus after rectal excision
John H Pemberton
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, East 6 A 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Colorectal Dis 5:486-9. 2003
..e. perineum), varies between simple closure on one hand and creation of complex gluteal and rectus abdominus flaps on the ..
- Laparoscopic repair of postoperative perineal hernia
Ali M Ghellai
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 12:119-21. 2002
..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of a laparoscopic repair of perineal hernia...
- Hospital variation in episiotomy use and the risk of perineal trauma during childbirth
David A Webb
Philadelphia Department of Public, Pennsylvania 19146, USA
Birth 29:132-6. 2002
- Women's experiences after a third-degree obstetric anal sphincter tear: a qualitative study
Urodynamics Department, Liverpool Women s Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Birth 32:129-36. 2005
..The objective of this study was to explore the views and experiences of women in the postpartum period after sustaining a third-degree obstetric anal sphincter tear...
- Perineal muscles and motoneurons are sexually monomorphic in the naked mole-rat (Heterocephalus glaber)
Maria E Peroulakis
Center for Neuroendocrine Studies, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
J Neurobiol 51:33-42. 2002
..Thus, unlike findings in any other mammal, neither the perineal muscles nor the perineal motoneurons appear to be sexually differentiated in subordinate naked mole-rats...
- Rectal prolapse: a search for the "best" operation
Department of Surgery, Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA
Am Surg 67:622-7. 2001
..PPS is a valuable option in selected patients and can be performed with minimal morbidity and a relatively low recurrence rate...
- Indications for immediate tissue transfer for soft tissue reconstruction in visceral pelvic surgery
A K Khoo
Department of Plastic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Surgery 130:463-9. 2001
..Anderson Cancer Center for tumors involving the alimentary tract (135 of 175), genitourinary tract (15 of 175), perineum (19 of 175), or sacrum (6 of 175)...
- Surgical management of rectal prolapse
Thandinkosi E Madiba
Department of Surgery, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Arch Surg 140:63-73. 2005
..Laparoscopic procedures with their advantages of early recovery, less pain, and possibly lower morbidity are recently added options. Regardless of the therapy chosen, matching the surgical selection to the patient is essential...
- Possible mechanism of referred pain in the perineum and pelvis associated with the prostate in rats
Department of Urology, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China 40008
J Urol 174:2405-8. 2005
Since persistent pain in the perineum and pelvic floor associated with chronic prostatitis /chronic pelvic pain syndrome has been hypothesized to be referred pain, it might also be explained by neural mechanisms.
- Median raphe cyst on the scrotum and perineum
Chang Ook Park
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:S114-5. 2006
- Microbiology of the urethra and perineum and its relationship to bacteriuria in community-residing men with spinal cord injury
Ken B Waites
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35249, USA
J Spinal Cord Med 27:448-52. 2004
..We performed a prospective study of bacterial flora of the urethra and perineum in men with and without bacteriuria to understand more completely the relationship between bacterial colonization ..