Genomes and Genes
Summary: A primitive form of digestive gland found in marine ARTHROPODS, that contains cells similar to those found in the mammalian liver (HEPATOCYTES), and the PANCREAS.
Publications181 found, 100 shown here
- Haemolymph parasite of the shore crab Carcinus maenas: pathology, ultrastructure and observations on crustacean haplosporidiansG D Stentiford
Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Cefas, The Nothe, Weymouth, Dorset DT4 8UB, UK
Dis Aquat Organ 59:57-68. 2004....
- Pathology of Hematodinium infections in snow crabs (Chionoecetes opilio) from Newfoundland, CanadaKersten Wheeler
Virginia Institute of Marine Science, The College of William and Mary, School of Marine Science, Gloucester Point, VA 23062, USA
J Invertebr Pathol 95:93-100. 2007..and during sporulation of the parasite. Pressure necrosis was evident in the spongy connective tissues of the hepatopancreas and the blood vessels in most organs...
- Immune response and gene expression in shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) hemocytes and hepatopancreas against some pathogen-associated molecular patternsPei Feng Ji
Key Laboratory of Science and Technology for Aquaculture and Food Safety of Fujian Province University, Fisheries College Fisheries Biotechnology Institute, Jimei University, Xiamen 361021, China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 27:563-70. 2009..appeared at 6 h in hemocytes, of CAT with 47 times as much as that of the control group appeared at 12 h in hepatopancreas, and with 2...
- Vitellogenesis in the red crab Charybdis feriatus: Hepatopancreas-specific expression and farnesoic acid stimulation of vitellogenin gene expressionAbby Sin Chi Mak
Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong SAR, P.R. China
Mol Reprod Dev 70:288-300. 2005..acid sequence determination revealed that several ovarian polypeptides and one polypeptide secreted by the hepatopancreas were identical to part of the C. feriatus Vg (CfVg) precursor...
- 'Candidatus Rhabdochlamydia porcellionis', an intracellular bacterium from the hepatopancreas of the terrestrial isopod Porcellio scaber (Crustacea: Isopoda)Rok Kostanjsek
University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical Faculty, Biological Department, Vecna pot 111, 1111 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 54:543-9. 2004Intracellular bacteria were observed in the hepatopancreas of the terrestrial isopod Porcellio scaber...
- Bisphenol-A alters gene expression and functional parameters in molluscan hepatopancreasLaura Canesi
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Genova, Corso Europa 26, 16132 Genova, Italy
Mol Cell Endocrinol 276:36-44. 2007..In this work the possible effects of BPA were investigated in the hepatopancreas of the bivalve mollusc Mytilus galloprovincialis: mussels were injected with different amounts of BPA (3-60ng/..
- Snail hepatopancreatic lipase: a new member of invertebrates lipases' groupSawsan Amara
Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Genie Enzymatique des Lipases, ENIS route de Soukra, BPW 3038, Sfax, Tunisia
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 162:942-52. 2010..A lipolytic activity was located in the land snail (Eobania vermiculata) digestive glands (hepatopancreas), from which a snail digestive lipase (SnDL) was purified...
- Anoxia-induced transcriptional upregulation of sarp-19: cloning and characterization of a novel EF-hand containing gene expressed in hepatopancreas of Littorina littoreaKevin Larade
Institute of Biochemistry and Department of Biology, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 82:285-93. 2004..Differential screening of a cDNA library derived from the hepatopancreas of the marine snail Littorina littorea revealed a novel anoxia-induced gene, sarp-19 (snail anoxia-responsive ..
- Isolation, characterization and molecular cloning of duplex-specific nuclease from the hepatopancreas of the Kamchatka crabVeronika E Anisimova
M M Shemiakin and Yu, A Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS, Miklukho Maklaya 16 10, 117871 Moscow, Russia
BMC Biochem 9:14. 2008..Thus, the search for novel nucleases with potentially exploitable functions remains an important scientific undertaking...
- Vitellogenesis in the sand shrimp, metapenaeus ensis: the contribution from the hepatopancreas-specific vitellogenin gene (MeVg2)Sin Yan Kung
Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Biol Reprod 71:863-70. 2004..The MeVg2 is expressed only in the hepatopancreas, and the expression level of MeVg2 in adult female increases from the early vitellogenic stage, reaching a ..
- Profiling of differentially expressed genes in hepatopancreas of white spot syndrome virus-resistant shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) by suppression subtractive hybridisationZhi Ying Zhao
State Key Laboratory for Biocontrol, School of Life Sciences, Zhongshan University, 135 Xingang Road West, Guangzhou 510275, PR China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 22:520-34. 2007..method was employed to identify differentially expressed genes and their expression profiles in the hepatopancreas of the white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) resistant and susceptible Pacific white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei)...
- Differential gene expression profile in hepatopancreas of WSSV-resistant shrimp (Penaeus japonicus) by suppression subtractive hybridizationDeng Pan
Key Lab of Marine Genetic resource of SOA, Third Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration (SOA, 184# DaXue Road, Xiamen 361005, China
Dev Comp Immunol 29:103-12. 2005..method was employed to identify differentially expressed genes and their expression profile in the hepatopancreas of the virus-resistant penaeid shrimp...
- Autophagic and lysosomal reactions to stress in the hepatopancreas of blue musselsMichael N Moore
Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth PL1 3DH, UK
Aquat Toxicol 84:80-91. 2007..Finally, we discuss the possibility of low level triggering of autophagy in mussels by fluctuating environmental regimes providing a mechanism for tolerance to environmental stress...
- Functional annotation and analysis of expressed sequence tags from the hepatopancreas of mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis)Hui Jiang
School of Life Science, East China Normal University, Shanghai, China
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 11:317-26. 2009..The hepatopancreas of E. sinensis is not only an important digestive organ but also an indispensable immune organ...
- Differences in cysteine protease activity in Schistosoma mansoni-resistant and -susceptible Biomphalaria glabrata and characterization of the hepatopancreas cathepsin B Full-length cDNAJocelyn Myers
Department of Biology, Howard University, NW, Washington, DC 20059, USA
J Parasitol 94:659-68. 2008..Zymographs of extracts from the whole snail or hepatopancreas indicated higher proteolytic activity in resistant, compared with susceptible, snails...
- Cellular localization of calcium, heavy metals, and metallothionein in lobster (Homarus americanus) hepatopancreasP Chavez-Crooker
Laboratory of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, Facultad Recursos de Mar, Universidad de Antofagasta, Casila 170, Antofagasta, Chile
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 136:213-24. 2003..this metal-binding protein in several organ systems in lobster and in single cell types isolated from lobster hepatopancreas. Individual lobster hepatopancreatic epithelial cell types were separated into pure single cell type ..
- Impact of waterborne copper on the structure of gills and hepatopancreas and its impact on the content of metallothionein in juvenile giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii (Crustacea: Decapoda)Na Li
School of Life Science, East China Normal University, Shanghai, 200062, People s Republic of China
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 52:73-9. 2007This study aims to elucidate both the impact of copper on the structure of the gills and hepatopancreas and the induction of metallothionein (MT) during waterborne copper exposure in juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii...
- Seasonal fluctuations of tissue mercury contents in the European shore crab Carcinus maenas from low and high contamination areas (Ria de Aveiro, Portugal)E Pereira
Chemistry Department, University of Aveiro, 3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal
Mar Pollut Bull 52:1450-7. 2006The main objective was to study the seasonal variation of mercury concentrations in different tissues (muscle, hepatopancreas and gills) of Carcinus maenas from low and high Hg contaminated areas, a valuable resource in temperate ..
- Metallothionein, antioxidant enzymes and DNA strand breaks as biomarkers of Cd exposure in a marine crab, Charybdis japonicaLuqing Pan
The Key Laboratory of Mariculture, Ministry of Education, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 144:67-75. 2006..and glutathione peroxidase (GPx)) and DNA integrity (DNA strand breaks) for up to 15 days in the gills and hepatopancreas of the portunid crab Charybdis japonica...
- Protein expression in white spot syndrome virus infected Penaeus monodon fabriciusP Rameshthangam
Department of Biotechnology, Life Sciences Building, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600025, Tamil Nadu, India
Virus Res 110:133-41. 2005..Tissues from infected and uninfected shrimp such as muscles, hepatopancreas, heart, gills and eye tissues (100mg of each) and haemolymph (50 microl) were subjected to SDS-PAGE...
- White spot syndrome virus infection decreases the activity of antioxidant enzymes in Fenneropenaeus indicusK Mohankumar
Department of Biotechnology, Life Sciences Building, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600 025, Tamil Nadu, India
Virus Res 115:69-75. 2006..with oxidative stress during the process of pathogenesis of WSSV in the infected tissues (hemolymph, hepatopancreas, gills and muscle) of Fenneropenaeus indicus were quantitatively determined at different time intervals post ..
- Short-term silver accumulation in tissues of three marine invertebrates: shrimp Penaeus duorarum, sea hare Aplysia californica, and sea urchin Diadema antillarumAdalto Bianchini
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Fundacao Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, Campus Carreiros, Av Italia, Km 8, Rio Grande, RS 96201 900, Brazil
Aquat Toxicol 84:182-9. 2007..In both sea hare and shrimp, hepatopancreas silver accumulation was concentration-dependent and this organ accumulated the most silver after 48 h of ..
- Molecular characterization and expression analysis of vitellogenin in the marine crab Portunus trituberculatusFan Yang
College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, 232 Wensan Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, 310012 PR China
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 142:456-64. 2005..Northern blotting analysis revealed that Vg was mainly expressed in hepatopancreas in vitellogensis females...
- Localization and bacteriostasis of Vibrio introduced into the Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannameiJoseph E Burgents
Grice Marine Laboratory, College of Charleston, 205 Fort Johnson, Charleston, SC 29412, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 29:681-91. 2005..campbellii compared to other tissues, including the hemolymph. In contrast, the gills and hepatopancreas accumulated intact bacteria, but contained a significantly greater percentage of culturable bacteria than the ..
- Tissue distribution, subcellular localization and endocrine disruption patterns induced by Cr and Mn in the crab Ucides cordatusJosé Dias Corrêa
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Morfológicas, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 21941 590 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Aquat Toxicol 73:139-54. 2005..The gill, hepatopancreas and muscle concentrations were determined by atomic absorption spectroscopy and the results showed that Cr and ..
- Characterization of vitellin from the ovaries of the banana shrimp Litopenaeus merguiensisJongruk Auttarat
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Prince of Songkla University, Songkla 90112, Thailand
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 143:27-36. 2006..Vg and Vt concentrations in hemolymph, hepatopancreas and ovaries were measured by ELISA...
- Superoxide radical production in response to environmental hypoxia in cultured shrimpTania Zenteno-Savin
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas del Noroeste CIBNOR, Acuacultura y Planeación Ambiental, Mar Bermejo 195, Playa Palo de Santa Rita, La Paz, B C S 23090, Mexico
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 142:301-8. 2006..radical (O(2)(*-)) production, lipid peroxidation (TBARS), and antioxidant capacity status in muscle, hepatopancreas, and gill samples. Results indicate differences among tissues, even under control conditions...
- Dietary high protein and vitamin C mitigate stress due to chelate claw ablation in Macrobrachium rosenbergii malesS M Manush
Fish Physiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutic Cell, Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Versova, Mumbai, India
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 142:10-8. 2005..G6Pase), fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase (FBPase), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) in hepatopancreas) were tested at different recovery periods (0, 6, 24 h, 7 and 14 days)...
- [Effects of heavy metal ions on SOD activity of Litopenaeus vannamei hepatopancreas, gill and blood]Zhongwang Wu
Key Laboratory of Mariculture, Ministry of Education, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:1962-6. 2005..the effects of Cu2+ , Zn2+ and Cd2+ on the superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity of Litopenaeus vannamnei hepatopancreas, gill and blood...
- Metallothionein induction and heavy metal accumulation in white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei exposed to cadmium and zincJui-Pin Wu
Institute of Zoology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan, Republic of China
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 140:383-94. 2005..From our results, it is very clear that the response of L. vannamei to Cd differs from that to Zn, and this should be considered when using MTs in field applications to monitor metals contamination...
- Cloning and characterisation of mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutase (mtMnSOD) from the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergiiWinton Cheng
Department of Aquaculture, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Pingtung 912, Taiwan, ROC
Fish Shellfish Immunol 21:453-66. 2006A cDNA encoding a mitochondrial manganese superoxide dismutase (mtMnSOD) was cloned from the hepatopancreas of giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii using reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) by degenerate ..
- Subcellular/tissue distribution and responses to oil exposure of the cytochrome P450-dependent monooxygenase system and glutathione S-transferase in freshwater prawns (Macrobrachium malcolmsonii, M. lamarrei lamarrei)S Arun
Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikudi 630 006, Tamil Nadu, India
Ecotoxicology 15:341-6. 2006Subcellular fractions (mitochondrial, cytosolic and microsomal) prepared from the tissues (hepatopancreas, muscle and gill) of freshwater prawns Macrobrachium malcolmsonii and Macrobrachium lamarrei lamarrei were scrutinized to ..
- Molecular detection of Hematodinium spp. in Norway lobster Nephrops norvegicus and other crustaceansH J Small
Division of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, UK
Dis Aquat Organ 69:185-95. 2006..infecting N. norvegicus. DNA probes detected Hematodinium parasites in heart, hepatopancreas and gill tissues from N...
- Dynamics of vitellogenin synthesis in juvenile giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergiiVidya Jayasankar
Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences, 1 1 Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8686, Japan
J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol 305:440-8. 2006The dynamics of vitellogenin (Vg) mRNA expression and patterns of Vg and vitellin distribution in the hepatopancreas and ovary of juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii were examined using real-time RT-PCR and immunohistochemical methods...
- Insights into the immune transcriptome of the shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei: tissue-specific expression profiles and transcriptomic responses to immune challengeJavier Robalino
Marine Biomedicine and Environmental Sciences Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Hollings Marine Laboratory, Charleston, South Carolina 29412, USA
Physiol Genomics 29:44-56. 2007..of a cDNA microarray encompassing 2,469 putative unigenes expressed in gills, circulating hemocytes, and hepatopancreas of Litopenaeus vannamei is described...
- Effect of waterborne copper on the microstructures of gill and hepatopancreas in Eriocheir sinensis and its induction of metallothionein synthesisZhi biao Yang
School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 201101, China
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 52:222-8. 2007..00, 0.01, 0.10, 1.00, and 5.00 mg/l) on microstructures of gill and hepatopancreas, and in inducing metallothionein (MT) synthesis were studied in Chinese mitten crab Eriocheir sinennsis...
- Effects of 4-nonylphenol on the endocrine system of the shore crab, Carcinus maenasChristina M Lye
School of Marine Science and Technology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, United Kingdom
Environ Toxicol 23:309-18. 2008..sexual characteristics, pheromonally mediated behavior and ecdysone levels, and the presence of vt in the male hepatopancreas) found recently in wild shore crabs (Lye et al.,2005). The study utilizes morphological (e.g...
- No acute toxicity to Uca pugnax, the mud fiddler crab, following a 96-h exposure to sediment-bound permethrinTodd A Stueckle
Department of Biology, West Virginia University, PO Box 6057, Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
Environ Toxicol 23:530-8. 2008..Exposure caused an induction of hepatopancreas GST in a dose-dependent manner...
- DNA damage and cell necrosis induced by naphthalene due to the modulation of biotransformation enzymes in an estuarine crab Scylla serrataK Vijayavel
Department of Pharmacology and Environmental Toxicology, Dr A L Mudaliar Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani, Chennai 600 113, India
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 22:1-7. 2008..aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase, glutathione-S-transferase, and UDP-glucuronyl transferase were elevated in the hepatopancreas of naphthalene-exposed crabs in comparison with control...
- Accumulation and histopathological damage in the clam Ruditapes philippinarum and the crab Carcinus maenas to assess sediment toxicity in Spanish portsM L Martín-Díaz
Departamento de Quimica Fisica, Facultad de Ciencias del Mar y Ambientales, Poligono Rio San Pedro s n, 11510 Puerto Real, Cadiz, Spain
Chemosphere 71:1916-27. 2008..The link between chemical concentration in sediments and histopathological lesions allowed the determination of SQGs for the chemicals As, Cd, Cu, Cr, Hg, Ni and Zn...
- Heavy metal accumulation in certain marine animals along the East Coast of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, IndiaK Arun Kumar
Department of Geology, Anna University, Chennai 600 025, India
J Environ Biol 28:637-43. 2007..The bioconcentration factors revealed that the animals have accumulated heavy metals along the food chain rather than from the water column and sediment...
- Hypoxia does not promote naphthalene bioaccumulation in the brown shrimp, Penaeus aztecusRongzhong Ye
Department of Biological Sciences, Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, LA 70310, USA
Mar Pollut Bull 57:307-12. 2008..suggest that hypoxia does not significantly alter naphthalene bioaccumulation in either the gills or the hepatopancreas of P. aztecus...
- Pattern and pathways for mercury lifespan bioaccumulation in Carcinus maenasJ P Coelho
CESAM Chemistry Department, Campus de Santiago, University of Aveiro, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
Mar Pollut Bull 56:1104-10. 2008..contamination areas where the diet is the major pathway for metal uptake, with higher levels in muscle and hepatopancreas (twice as high as in gills) and higher organic mercury fractions (as high as 80-90% in muscle), crabs ..
- Shrimp thioredoxin is a potent antioxidant proteinEmmanuel Aispuro-Hernandez
Centro de Investigacion en Alimentacion y Desarrollo, A C, Hermosillo, Sonora 83000, Mexico
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 148:94-9. 2008..LvTRX stands as an important antioxidant that must be considered in future physiological and immune challenges studies...
- Dietary copper absorption and excretion in three semi-terrestrial grapsoid crabs with different levels of terrestrial adaptationM G Sá
Department of Physiology, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Cidade Universitaria, Rua do Matao, Travessa 14, 101, Sao Paulo 05508 900, SP, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 148:112-6. 2008..degrees of terrestriality were studied to quantify the accumulation of copper (Cu) in hemolymph, gills, hepatopancreas and antennal gland, and its excretion through the faeces...
- Tissue-specific cadmium and metallothionein levels in freshwater crab Sinopotamon henanense during acute exposure to waterborne cadmiumWenli Ma
School of Life Science and Technology, Shanxi University, Taiyuan 030006, People s Republic of China
Environ Toxicol 23:393-400. 2008..after Cd exposure, and the Cd accumulation level in various tissues followed the following order: gill > hepatopancreas > muscle > ovary. MT levels were clearly tissue-specific after Cd exposure...
- Cadmium uptake by the European eel: trophic transfer in field and experimental investigationsFabien Pierron
UMR CNRS 5805 EPOC, Team GEMA, Universite Bordeaux 1 and CNRS, Place du Dr Peyneau, 33120 Arcachon, France
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 70:10-9. 2008..These two complementary approaches provide some elements to suggest that the trophic route plays an important role in cadmium contamination of wild eels...
- Effects of water-borne copper on digestive and metabolic enzymes of the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergiiNa Li
School of Life Science, East China Normal University, Shanghai, 200062, People s Republic of China
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 55:86-93. 2008..acid phosphatase (ACP), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione-S-transferase (GST) were measured in the hepatopancreas of M. rosenbergii after 7 days of exposure to copper (Cu(2+)) concentrations ranging from 0.01 mg/L to 0...
- The concentrations of antioxidant compounds in the hepatopancreas, the gills and muscle of some freshwater crayfish speciesTijana B Kovacević
Department of Physiology, Institute for Biological Research Sinisa Stankovic, 11060 Belgrade, Serbia
Acta Biol Hung 57:449-58. 2006..of vitamin E (vit E), sulphydryl groups (-SH), total protein and protein electrophoretic profiles in the hepatopancreas, the gills and muscle of three freshwater crayfish species: Noble crayfish (Astacus astacus), stone crayfish (..
- The effect of dietary chitin supplementation on the survival and immune reactivity of the shore crab, Carcinus maenasAdam Powell
Department of Biological Sciences and Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture Research, University of Wales Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea, SA2 8PP, UK
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 147:122-8. 2007..Crabs fed 5 or 10% chitin had lower numbers of cultivatable bacteria in the hepatopancreas than those on the basal diet alone...
- Dynamics of vitellogenin mRNA expression during vitellogenesis in the banana shrimp Penaeus (Fenneropenaeus) merguiensis using real-time PCRPharima Phiriyangkul
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla, Thailand
Mol Reprod Dev 74:1198-207. 2007..A PCR product of 1.1 kb encoding the 3'-end of Vg cDNA was cloned from the hepatopancreas. Although its sequence was almost identical to that of the same region of the ovarian Vg, with only 18 ..
- A reovirus disease in cultured mud crab, Scylla serrata, in southern ChinaS P Weng
State Key Lab for Biocontrol, School of Life Sciences, Zhongshan University, Guangzhou, China
J Fish Dis 30:133-9. 2007..The virus infects connective tissue cells of the hepatopancreas, gills and intestine in mud crab and develops in the cytoplasm...
- Molecular characterization of an epithelial Ca2+ channel-like gene from crayfish Procambarus clarkiiYongping Gao
Department of Biological Sciences, Wright State University, Dayton, OH 45435, USA
J Exp Biol 210:1813-24. 2007..Compared with expression levels in hepatopancreas, expression in gill was 10-fold greater and expression was highest in antennal gland (15-fold greater than in ..
- A novel bacterial disease of the European shore crab, Carcinus maenas molecular pathology and epidemiologyFiona Eddy
Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture Research, Department of Biological Sciences, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Microbiology 153:2839-49. 2007..revealed that the causative agent associated with milky disease multiplied in the fixed phagocytes of the hepatopancreas (digestive gland), ultimately to be released into the haemolymph, where the circulating blood cells showed ..
- Antioxidant defence enzyme activities in hepatopancreas, gills and muscle of Spiny cheek crayfish (Orconectes limosus) from the River DanubeSlavica S Borković
Department of Physiology, Institute for Biological Research Sinisa Stankovic, University of Belgrade, Bulevar Despota Stefana 142, 11060 Belgrade, Serbia
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 147:122-8. 2008..glutathione reductase (GR) and the phase II biotransformation enzyme glutathione-S-transferase (GST) in the hepatopancreas, the gills and muscle of Spiny cheek crayfish (Orconectes limosus) from the River Danube and to compare tissue ..
- Differential gene expression in hepatopancreas of the shrimp Metapenaeus ensis during ovarian maturationQueenie W L Wong
Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 10:91-8. 2008Differentially expressed genes were identified in the hepatopancreas of Metapenaeus ensis during ovarian maturation via differential display reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (DDRT-PCR)...
- Histological effects of a combination of heavy metals on Pacific white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei juvenilesMartín G Frías-Espericueta
Facultad de Ciencias del Mar, Laboratorio de Estudios Ambientales, Universidad Autonoma de Sinaloa, Paseo Claussen s n, Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
Aquat Toxicol 89:152-7. 2008..05-0.005AF: application factors) caused dose- and time-dependent damages to the hepatopancreas, gills, epipodites and midgut tissues of Litopenaeus vannamei juveniles...
- Vitamin E requirements of juvenile grass shrimp, Penaeus monodon, and effects on non-specific immune responsesMin-Hsien Lee
Department of Food Science, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, ROC
Fish Shellfish Immunol 16:475-85. 2004..Vitamin E concentrations in the hepatopancreas and muscle of the shrimp were increased as the dietary vitamin E supplementation level was increased up to 200 ..
- Increase of uricogenesis in the kuruma shrimp Marsupenaeus japonicus reared under hyper-osmotic conditionsSha-Yen Cheng
Department of Aquaculture, College of Life and Resource Sciences, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung 202, Taiwan, ROC
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 138:245-53. 2004..including xanthine and hypoxanthine, in gill increased directly with salinity, whereas these same levels in hepatopancreas were inversely related with salinity...
- A new pathogenic virus in the Caribbean spiny lobster Panulirus argus from the Florida KeysJeffrey D Shields
Virginia Institute of Marine Science, The College of William and Mary, Gloucester Point, Virginia 23062, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 59:109-18. 2004..The new virus is apparently widespread, infectious, and lethal to the Caribbean spiny lobster. Given the pathogenic nature of the virus, further characterization of the disease agent is warranted...
- Increased production and excretion of urea in the kuruma shrimp (Marsupenaeus japonicus) exposed to combined environments of increased ammonia and nitriteS-Y Cheng
Department of Aquaculture, College of Life and Resources Sciences, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan, 202, China
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 47:352-62. 2004..in lower levels of hemolymph uric acid (HUA), gill ammonia (GAM), gill urea (GUE), gill uric acid (GUA), hepatopancreas ammonia (HPAM), hepatopancreas urea (HPUE), and hepatopancreas uric acid (APUA), respectively, compared with ..
- Hepatopancreas gluconeogenesis and glycogen content during fasting in crabs previously maintained on a high-protein or carbohydrate-rich dietGuendalina T Oliveira
, , , Av. Ipiranga, 6681 pd.12, 90619-900 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 137:383-90. 2004..However, after 21 days of fasting the gluconeogenic capacity was decreased and hepatopancreas glycogen concentration was reduced...
- Sublethal effect of naphthalene on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in the edible marine crab Scylla serrataK Vijayavel
Department of Pharmacology and Environmental Toxicology, Dr. ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani, Chennai 600 113, Tamil Nadu, India
Mar Pollut Bull 48:429-33. 2004The effect of naphthalene on lipid peroxidation and antioxidants status was studied in hepatopancreas, haemolymph and ovary of the Scylla serrata with reference to the active vitellogenic stage...
- Distribution of mercury in adult penaeid shrimps from Altata-Ensenada del Pabellón lagoon (SE Gulf of California)J Ruelas-Inzunza
Technological Institute of the Sea, P O Box 757, Mazatlan 82000, Sinaloa, Mexico
Chemosphere 57:1657-61. 2004..In general, hepatopancreas was the tissue where Hg was mostly accumulated, followed by muscle and exoskeleton...
- The mode of action of acute and chronic concentrations of waterborne Cd in the digestive gland of the acclimated infested freshwater crab ( Potamonautes warreni)P Manuela M Schuwerack
School of Biological Sciences, Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX, UK
Cell Tissue Res 312:249-63. 2003..Cd accumulated in the cells of the digestive gland in a time-, concentration- and cell-type-specific fashion...
- Expression of the reproductive female-specific vitellogenin gene in endocrinologically induced male and intersex Cherax quadricarinatus crayfishAsaf Shechter
Departments of Life Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben-Gurion, University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
Biol Reprod 73:72-9. 2005....
- An increase of uricogenesis in the Kuruma shrimp Marsupenaeus japonicus under nitrite stressSha-Yen Cheng
Life and Resource Sciences, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan, 202, ROC
J Exp Zoolog A Comp Exp Biol 303:308-18. 2005..nitrite, whereas the levels of total nucleotide-related compounds, including xanthine and hypoxanthine, in the hepatopancreas were inversely related to ambient nitrite...
- Distribution of trace elements in tissues of two shrimp species from the Persian Gulf and roles of metallothionein in their redistributionN Pourang
Department of Environment and Sustainable Agriculture, Ministry of Jahad e Agriculture, 7th Floor Tehran, Iran
Environ Int 31:325-41. 2005..the distribution of three trace elements (Cd, Cu and Zn) in tissues (exoskeleton, abdominal muscle and hepatopancreas) of two shrimp species (Penaeus merguiensis and Penaeus semisulcatus)...
- Cyanobacteria and prawn farming in northern New South Wales, Australia--a case study on cyanobacteria diversity and hepatotoxin bioaccumulationHarri T Kankaanpää
School of Science, Food and Horticulture, University of Western Sydney, NSW 1797, Australia
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 203:243-56. 2005..spumigena as an example), but did not generally increase toxin recovery from prawn hepatopancreas. There were slightly increasing hepatotoxin concentrations in prawn hepatopancreas (from 6-20 to 20-80 microg/..
- Xanthine oxidase and xanthine dehydrogenase from an estivating land snailM Hermes Lima
Institute of Biochemistry, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Z Naturforsch C 50:685-94. 1995..transition from the hypoxic conditions of estivation to normoxia it is possible that xanthine oxidase (XO) in hepatopancreas contributes to the observed lipid peroxidation...
- Antioxidant defenses and metabolic depression. The hypothesis of preparation for oxidative stress in land snailsM Hermes-Lima
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Universidade de Brasilia, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 120:437-48. 1998..oxidative stress was indicated by increased levels of lipid peroxidation damage products accumulating in hepatopancreas within minutes after arousal was initiated...
- Detection of hepatopancreatic parvovirus (HPV) of penaeid shrimp by in situ hybridization at the electron microscope levelC R Pantoja
The University of Arizona, Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, Tucson 85721, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 44:87-96. 2001..The procedure was optimized using sections of resin-embedded hepatopancreas from HPV-infected juvenile Penaeus monodon and postlarval P. chinensis...
- Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei sp. nov. (Microsporida: Enterocytozoonidae), a parasite of the black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon (Decapoda: Penaeidae): Fine structure and phylogenetic relationshipsSomjintana Tourtip
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rama IV Rd, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
J Invertebr Pathol 102:21-9. 2009A new microsporidian species, Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei sp. nov., is described from the hepatopancreas of the black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon (Crustacea: Decapoda)...
- Cathepsin D from the hepatopancreas of the cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis): purification and characterizationRafik Balti
Laboratoire de Génie Enzymatique et de Microbiologie, Ecole Nationale d Ingénieurs de Sfax, Route Soukra Km 3, 5 BP 1173, 3038 Sfax, Tunisia
J Agric Food Chem 58:10623-30. 2010Cathepsin D from the hepatopancreas of cuttlefish ( Sepia officinalis ) was purified to homogeneity by precipitation with ammonium sulfate (30-60%, w/v), Sephadex G-100 gel filtration, Mono-S cation-exchange chromatography, Sephadex G-75 ..
- Determination of lipid peroxides in invertebrates tissues using the Fe(III) xylenol orange complex formationJ M Monserrat
Departmento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Fundação Universidade Federal do Rio Grande FURG, R Eng Alfredo Huch 475, 96201 900, Rio Grande, RS, Brazil
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 45:177-83. 2003..A similar procedure was adopted for crab tissues (anterior gills, posterior gills, and hepatopancreas)...
- Differential gene expression profile of the hepatopancreas of white spot syndrome virus infected Fenneropenaeus indicus by suppression subtractive hybridizationRoswin James
Microbiology, Fermentation and Biotechnology Division, Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Cochin 682 029, Kerala, India
Fish Shellfish Immunol 29:884-9. 2010..Subtractive Hybridization was employed in order to identify the differentially expressed genes in the hepatopancreas of white spot syndrome virus infected Fenneropenaeus indicus...
- Purification, characterization, and molecular cloning of group I phospholipases A2 from the gills of the red sea bream, Pagrus majorN Iijima
Faculty of Applied Biological Science, Hiroshima University, Higashihiroshima, Japan
Lipids 35:1359-70. 2000..PLA2 in the gills was 70 times higher than that in other tissues, such as the adipose tissue, intestine, and hepatopancreas. Therefore, we tried to purify PLA2 from the gill filaments of red sea bream to near homogeneity by sequential ..
- Elongation factor 1Bgamma (eEF1Bgamma) expression during the molting cycle and cold acclimation in the crayfish Procambarus clarkiiChristopher M Gillen
Department of Biology, Kenyon College, Gambier, OH 43022, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 150:170-6. 2008..eEF1Bgamma expression was lowest in gill, axial abdominal muscle, and hepatopancreas, and was highest in the antennal gland (5.7-fold above hepatopancreas) and cardiac muscle (7...
- [Effects of Cd2+ on glutathione system of hepatopancreas and gills in freshwater crab Sinopotamon yangtsekiense]Na Liu
College of Life Science and Technology, Shanxi University, Taiyuan 030006, China
Huan Jing Ke Xue 29:2302-7. 2008..5, 29, 58 and 116 mg/L) for different treating times (24, 48, 72 and 96 h). The indexes were measured in the hepatopancreas and gills of the crab, which include the levels of reduced glutathione (GSH) and oxidized glutathione (GSSG), ..
- Expression and distribution of three heat shock protein genes under heat shock stress and under exposure to Vibrio harveyi in Penaeus monodonWanilada Rungrassamee
Microarray Laboratory, National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology BIOTEC, National Science and Technology Development Agency NSTDA, 113 Thailand Science Park, Phahonyothin Road, Pathumthani 12120, Thailand
Dev Comp Immunol 34:1082-9. 2010..levels of hsp21, hsp70 and hsp90 were determined by quantitative real-time PCR in nine tissues (gill, heart, hepatopancreas, stomach, intestine, eyestalk, pleopod, thoracic ganglia and hemocyte) under untreated and heat shock ..
- A single WAP domain (SWD)-containing protein with antipathogenic relevance in red swamp crayfish, Procambarus clarkiiZhi Qiang Du
School of Life Sciences, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong 250100, China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 28:134-42. 2010..chain reaction (RT-PCR) revealed that Pc-SWD transcripts were primarily found in the hemocytes, heart, hepatopancreas, gills, and intestine...
- In vivo humoral and cellular reactions, and fate of injected bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila in freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergiiP K Sahoo
Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, Aquatic Animal Health Division, Kausalyaganga, Bhubaneswar 751002, India
Fish Shellfish Immunol 23:327-40. 2007..The bacteria were rapidly distributed to various tissues viz., gills, heart, hepatopancreas within 1h, and the tissues revealed haemocytic nodule formation after 3 h of injection...
- Nutrition in terrestrial isopods (Isopoda: Oniscidea): an evolutionary-ecological approachMartin Zimmer
Zoologisches Institut Limnologie, Biologiezentrum der Christian Albrechts Universität zu Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 77:455-93. 2002..Digestion of food through endogenous enzymes produced in the caeca of the midgut glands (hepatopancreas) and through microbial enzymes, either ingested along with microbially colonized food or secreted by microbial ..
- Effects of cadmium exposure on expression and activity of P-glycoprotein in eastern oysters, Crassostrea virginica GmelinAnna V Ivanina
Biology Department, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
Aquat Toxicol 88:19-28. 2008..Our data show that P-gp is expressed on cell membrane and in mitochondria of oyster gills and hepatopancreas. Inhibitor studies with verapamil, cyclosporine A and JS-2190 suggest that in the gills, mitochondrial P-gp ..
- PAH biotransformation in terrestrial invertebrates--a new phase II metabolite in isopods and springtailsGerard J Stroomberg
Institute of Environmental Studies, Vrije Universiteit, De Boelelaan 1087, Amsterdam 1081 HV, The Netherlands
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 138:129-37. 2004..Metabolic products of pyrene biotransformation in extracts from whole animals or isopod hepatopancreas were compared to those found in fish bile (flounder and plaice)...
- Concholepas hemocyanin biosynthesis takes place in the hepatopancreas, with hemocytes being involved in its metabolismAugusto Manubens
Fundación Ciencia y Tecnología para el Desarrollo, Avenida Alcalde Eduardo Castillo Velasco, 2902 Ñuñoa, Santiago, Chile
Cell Tissue Res 342:423-35. 2010..We performed immunohistochemical staining of various organs, including the mantle, branchia, and hepatopancreas, and detected C...
- Two thymosin-repeated molecules with structural and functional diversity coexist in Chinese mitten crab Eriocheir sinensisYunchao Gai
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao, China
Dev Comp Immunol 33:867-76. 2009..The expression of EsTRP1 transcript was predominantly detectable in the tissues of hemocytes, hepatopancreas and gonad with the highest expression in hemocytes, while the highest expression level of EsTRP2 was found in ..
- Purification and characterization of sulfatases from Haliotis rufescens: evidence for changes in synthesis and heterogeneity during developmentD C Spaulding
Department of Biological Sciences, University of California, Santa Barbara 93106
J Comp Physiol B 161:498-515. 1991..Arylsulfatases, partially purified from the hepatopancreas of the red abalone, Haliotis rufescens, were investigated with respect to heterogeneity, catalytic ..
- Protein and lipid sources affect cholesterol concentrations of juvenile Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei (Boone)Z J Cheng
Hagerman Fish Culture Experiment Station, University of Idaho, Hagerman 83332, USA
J Anim Sci 82:1136-45. 2004..05), but not weight gain, survival, hepatosomatic index, body protein, ash, and AA composition. Body (without hepatopancreas) cholesterol concentrations were the highest in shrimp fed the diet containing fish meal (0...
- Comparison of growth and lipid composition in the green abalone, Haliotis fulgens, provided specific macroalgal dietsMatthew M Nelson
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 131:695-712. 2002..The lipid class, fatty acid, sterol and 1-O-alkyl glyceryl ether profiles were determined for foot, hepatopancreas/gonad tissues and larvae...
- Effects of elevated ecdysteroid on tissue expression of three guanylyl cyclases in the tropical land crab Gecarcinus lateralis: possible roles of neuropeptide signaling in the molting glandSung Gu Lee
Department of Biology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Exp Biol 210:3245-54. 2007..an N-terminal 32-amino acid sequence and Gl-GC-III were expressed at higher mRNA levels in ES ganglia, gill, hepatopancreas, ovary and testis, and at lower levels in YO, heart and skeletal muscle...
- Biochemical defense mechanisms against copper-induced oxidative damage in the blue crab, Callinectes sapidusM Brouwer
Institute of Marine Sciences, University of Southern Mississippi, 703 East Beach Drive, Ocean Springs, Mississippi, 39564, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 351:257-64. 1998..Short-term copper-exposure studies, conducted by incubating hepatopancreas tissue explants in copper-containing medium, show that copper taken up by the cells during the first 60 min ..
- Cardiovascular system of anomuran crabs, genus LopholithodesIain J McGaw
School of Life Sciences, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154 4004, USA
J Morphol 269:1295-307. 2008..stomach, antennal gland, and mandibular muscles, whereas the hepatic arteries branch profusely within the hepatopancreas. The lithodids are believed to have evolved from hermit crab ancestors; indicative of these evolutionary ..
- Kazal-type serine proteinase inhibitors from the black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon and the inhibitory activities of SPIPm4 and 5Suwattana Visetnan
Shrimp Molecular Biology and Genomics Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Fish Shellfish Immunol 27:266-74. 2009..monodon, nine different Kazal-type SPIs, namely SPIPm1-9, were identified from the cDNA libraries of hemocyte, hepatopancreas, hematopoietic tissue, ovary and lymphoid organ...
- Lysosomal membrane stability in laboratory- and field-exposed terrestrial isopods Porcellio scaber (Isopoda, Crustacea)Natasa Nolde
Department of Environmental Sciences, Jozef Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Environ Toxicol Chem 25:2114-22. 2006..assay and the neutral red retention (NRR) assay, were successfully applied to in toto digestive gland tubes (hepatopancreas) of the terrestrial isopod Porcellio scaber (Isopoda, Crustacea)...
- A highly virulent pathogen, Aeromonas hydrophila, from the freshwater crayfish Pacifastacus leniusculusPikul Jiravanichpaisal
Molecular Aquatic Biology and Genetic Laboratory, National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, National Science and Technology Development Agency, 113 Paholyothin, Thailand Science Park, Thailand
J Invertebr Pathol 101:56-66. 2009..necrotic nuclei and clump-infiltrated hemocytes were found in observed tissues including gill, heart, hepatopancreas and the circulatory system...
- Microscopic anatomy of pycnogonida: II. Digestive system. III. Excretory systemW H Fahrenbach
Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
J Morphol 268:917-35. 2007..In the absence of a hepatopancreas, the midgut serves both digestive and absorptive functions...
- Characterization of enzymes involved in biotransformation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in terrestrial isopodsJ A de Knecht
Institute of Ecological Science, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Environ Toxicol Chem 20:1457-64. 2001..designed to characterize microsomal mixed function oxygenase and accompanying conjugation enzymes from the hepatopancreas of the terrestrial isopods Porcellio scaber and Oniscus asellus using pyrene and 1-hydroxypyrene as model ..
- Lactococcus lactis subspecies lactis also causes white muscle disease in farmed giant freshwater prawns Macrobrachium rosenbergiiPei Chi Wang
Department of Tropical Agriculture and International Cooperation, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Pingtung 912, Taiwan, ROC
Dis Aquat Organ 79:9-17. 2008..muscles, while histopathology included marked edema and necrotic lesions, with inflammation in the muscles and hepatopancreas. Bacteria isolated using brain/heart infusion medium or tryptic soy agar were Gram-positive and ovoid...
- Effects of cyclic nucleotides, calcium ionophore, and phorbol ester on vitellogenin mRNA levels in incubated ovarian fragments of the kuruma prawn Marsupenaeus japonicusTakuji Okumura
National Research Institute of Aquaculture, Fisheries Research Agency, Minami Ise, Mie 516 0193, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 148:245-51. 2006In crustaceans, vitellogenin (VTG, the precursor of major yolk protein) is synthesized in the ovary and/or hepatopancreas, and its synthesis is considered to be under the negative control of the vitellogenesis-inhibiting hormone (VIH), a ..
- Physiological function and metabolism of free D-alanine in aquatic animalsHiroki Abe
Department of Aquatic Bioscience, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 28:1571-7. 2005..from the muscle of black tiger prawn Penaeus monodon and its cDNA has been cloned from the muscle and hepatopancreas of kuruma prawn Penaeus japonicus for the first time in eukaryotes other than yeast...