- High-throughput sequencing and analysis of the gill tissue transcriptome from the deep-sea hydrothermal vent mussel Bathymodiolus azoricus
Department of Oceanography and Fisheries, University of the Azores, 9901 861 Horta, Portugal
BMC Genomics 11:559. 2010
..azoricus transcriptome using gills tissues as the primary source of immune transcripts given its strategic role in filtering the surrounding ..
- Ion regulation in fish gills: recent progress in the cellular and molecular mechanisms
Pung Pung Hwang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei 115, Taiwan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 301:R28-47. 2011
..b>Gills are one of the major organs conducting the internal ionic and acid-base regulation, with specialized ionocytes as ..
- Ion uptake and acid secretion in zebrafish (Danio rerio)
Pung Pung Hwang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Exp Biol 212:1745-52. 2009
..genetic databases for zebrafish, we studied the molecular/cellular mechanisms of ion regulation in fish skin/gills. In our recently proposed model, there are at least three subtypes of ionocytes in zebrafish skin/gills: Na(+)-K(+)..
- Evidence for an apical Na-Cl cotransporter involved in ion uptake in a teleost fish
Department of Anatomy, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Miyamae ku, Kawasaki 216 8511, Japan
J Exp Biol 211:2584-99. 2008
..From tilapia gills, we cloned four full-length cDNAs homologous to human cation-chloride cotransporters and designated them as ..
- Novel Chlamydiales associated with epitheliocystis in a leopard shark Triakis semifasciata
Institute of Veterinary Pathology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 268, Zurich 8057, Switzerland
Dis Aquat Organ 91:75-81. 2010
..A greater understanding of the genetic diversity of marine Chlamydiales will assist our attempts to manage and control epitheliocystis outbreaks and to understand the evolution of this unique obligate intracellular pathogen...
- Experimental evidence for direct in situ binding of IgM and IgT to early trophonts of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Fouquet) in the gills of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum)
L von Gersdorff Jørgensen
Laboratory of Aquatic Pathobiology, Section of Biomedicine, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Fish Dis 34:749-55. 2011
..that IgT and IgM bind to surface structures, including cilia, on the early feeding stage of the parasite in the gills of immune rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, shortly (2 h) after invasion...
- Epitheliocystis in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., farmed in fresh water in Ireland is associated with 'Candidatus Clavochlamydia salmonicola' infection
S O Mitchell
Vet Aqua International, Oranmore, Ireland
J Fish Dis 33:665-73. 2010
..Both RT-PCR and histopathological examination indicate that the organism disappears from the gills 4-6 weeks post-transfer.
- Molecular evidence for association of chlamydiales bacteria with epitheliocystis in leafy seadragon (Phycodurus eques), silver perch (Bidyanus bidyanus), and barramundi (Lates calcarifer)
Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Screening, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment RIVM, PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:284-90. 2006
..Morphologically, all three species showed epitheliocystis cysts in the gills, and barramundi also showed lymphocystis cysts in the skin...
- Uptake and biological responses to nano-Fe versus soluble FeCl3 in excised mussel gills
Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth PL1 3DH, UK
Anal Bioanal Chem 396:657-66. 2010
Nano-Fe particle uptake was experimentally examined in vitro using excised gills and blood cells of the edible blue mussel Mytilus sp...
- Identification and characterization of a novel intraepithelial lymphoid tissue in the gills of Atlantic salmon
Section of Anatomy and Pathology, Department of Basic Sciences and Aquatic Medicine, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo, Norway
J Anat 213:202-9. 2008
In addition to being the respiratory organ in fish, the gills form a barrier against the external milieu...
- Characterization of "Candidatus piscichlamydia salmonis" (order Chlamydiales), a chlamydia-like bacterium associated with epitheliocystis in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
Department of Pathobiology and Veterinary Science, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 3089, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:5286-97. 2004
..intracellular gram-negative bacteria associated with epitheliocystis in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), gills with proliferative lesions were collected for histopathology, conventional transmission and immunoelectron ..
- Microarray analysis highlights immune response of pacific oysters as a determinant of resistance to summer mortality
IFREMER, UMR 100 Physiologie et Ecophysiologie des Mollusques Marins, Centre de Brest, BP 70, 29280 Plouzane, France
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 14:203-17. 2012
..In addition, we conducted additional microarray profiling of two other tissues, gills, and muscle, and both showed an overrepresentation of immune genes (46%) among those that are differentially ..
- Environmental acquisition of thiotrophic endosymbionts by deep-sea mussels of the genus bathymodiolus
Yong Jin Won
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, Moss Landing, California 95039 0628, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:6785-92. 2003
..Taken together, these findings are consistent with an environmental source of thiotrophic symbionts in Bathymodiolus mussels, although an environmentally "leaky" system of vertical transmission could not be excluded...
- New insights into fish ion regulation and mitochondrion-rich cells
Pung Pung Hwang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, 115, Taiwan
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 148:479-97. 2007
..b>Gills, a unique and highly studied organ in research on fish osmoregulation and ionoregulation, provide an excellent ..
- Dual symbiosis of the vent shrimp Rimicaris exoculata with filamentous gamma- and epsilonproteobacteria at four Mid-Atlantic Ridge hydrothermal vent fields
Jillian M Petersen
Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology, Celsiusstr 1, 28359, Bremen, Germany
Environ Microbiol 12:2204-18. 2010
..We hypothesize that biogeography and host-symbiont selectivity play a role in structuring the epibiosis of R. exoculata...
- Unexpected co-occurrence of six bacterial symbionts in the gills of the cold seep mussel Idas sp. (Bivalvia: Mytilidae)
UMR 7138, Systématique, Adaptation, Evolution, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 7 quai St Bernard, 75005 Paris, France
Environ Microbiol 10:433-45. 2008
- Short-term transformation and long-term replacement of branchial chloride cells in killifish transferred from seawater to freshwater, revealed by morphofunctional observations and a newly established 'time-differential double fluorescent staining' techniq
Department of Aquatic Bioscience, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
J Exp Biol 206:4113-23. 2003
- A structure-function analysis of ion transport in crustacean gills and excretory organs
Carolina A Freire
Departamento de Fisiologia, Setor de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR, 81531 990, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 151:272-304. 2008
Osmotic and ionic regulation in the Crustacea is mostly accomplished by the multifunctional gills, together with the excretory organs...
- Chondrogenesis and homology of the visceral skeleton in the little skate, Leucoraja erinacea (Chondrichthyes: Batoidea)
J Andrew Gillis
Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Morphol 270:628-43. 2009
..Finally, we suggest that the unique presence of certain visceral skeletal elements in chondrichthyans make oviparous chondrichthyans an ideal system for addressing questions of endoskeletal axial patterning during development...
- Cellular and humoral factors involved in the response of rainbow trout gills to Ichthyophthirius multifiliis infections: molecular and immunohistochemical studies
Moonika M Olsen
Laboratory of Aquatic Pathobiology, Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Stigbøjlen 7, DK 1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Fish Shellfish Immunol 30:859-69. 2011
The parasitic ciliate Ichthyophthirius multifiliis infecting skin, fins and gills of fish induces a protective immune response in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) surviving the infection and a similar protection can be conferred by i...
- Common pattern of gene expression in response to hypoxia or cadmium in the gills of the European glass eel (Anguilla anguilla)
UMR CNRS 5805 EPOC, Team GEMA, Universite Bordeaux 1 and CNRS, Place du Dr Peyneau, 33120, Arcachon, France
Environ Sci Technol 41:3005-11. 2007
..Our results showed that hypoxia enhances (1) ventilation of the postlarval stage and (2) Cd accumulation in gills only at the lowest metal water concentration tested (2 microg Cd L(-1))...
- The expression of gill Na, K-ATPase in milkfish, Chanos chanos, acclimated to seawater, brackish water and fresh water
Y M Lin
Department of Life Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, 250 Kuo Kuang Road, 402 Taichung, Taiwan
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 135:489-97. 2003
..In FW, the fish exhibited the highest specific activity of Na, K-ATPase (NKA) in gills, while the SW group was found to have the lowest...
- Roles of three branchial Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase α-subunit isoforms in freshwater adaptation, seawater acclimation, and active ammonia excretion in Anabas testudineus
Yuen K Ip
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 303:R112-25. 2012
Three Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase (nka) α-subunit isoforms, nka α1a, nka α1b, and nka α1c, were identified from gills of the freshwater climbing perch Anabas testudineus...
- Impact of waterborne copper on the structure of gills and hepatopancreas and its impact on the content of metallothionein in juvenile giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii (Crustacea: Decapoda)
School of Life Science, East China Normal University, Shanghai, 200062, People s Republic of China
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 52:73-9. 2007
This study aims to elucidate both the impact of copper on the structure of the gills and hepatopancreas and the induction of metallothionein (MT) during waterborne copper exposure in juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii...
- Expression of metallothionein mRNAs by in situ hybridization in the gills of Mytilus galloprovincialis, from natural polluted environments
Department of Animal Biology and Marine Ecology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Aquat Toxicol 88:62-8. 2008
..The gills represent an organ of uptake and loss of metals in which different mechanisms are present controlling the ..
- Both seawater acclimation and environmental ammonia exposure lead to increases in mRNA expression and protein abundance of Na⁺:K⁺:2Cl⁻ cotransporter in the gills of the climbing perch, Anabas testudineus
Ai M Loong
Department of Biological Science, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
J Comp Physiol B 182:491-506. 2012
..This study aimed to clone and sequence the Na⁺:K⁺:2Cl⁻ cotransporter (nkcc) from the gills of A...
- Salinity-mediated carbonic anhydrase induction in the gills of the euryhaline green crab, Carcinus maenas
Raymond P Henry
Department of Biological Sciences, Auburn University, 101 Life Science Building, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 136:243-58. 2003
..One of the central features of this transition is an 8-fold induction of the enzyme carbonic anhydrase (CA) in the gills. This induction occurs primarily in the cytoplasmic pool of CA in the posterior, ion-transporting gills, although ..
- Characterization of a Neochlamydia-like bacterium associated with epitheliocystis in cultured Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus
Department of Pathobiology and Veterinary Science, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269 3089, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 76:27-38. 2007
..To characterize a bacterium associated with epitheliocystis in cultured charr, gills were sampled for histopathologic examination, conventional and immunoelectron microscopy, in situ hybridization, ..
- Morphogenesis of salmonid gill poxvirus associated with proliferative gill disease in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in Norway
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, Thormøhlensgt 55, 5020, Bergen, Norway
Arch Virol 153:1299-309. 2008
..In the spring of 2006, a new poxvirus, salmon gill poxvirus (SGPV), was discovered on the gills of salmon suffering from PGD in fresh water in northern Norway...
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in the gills of the climbing perch, Anabas testudineus, is involved in both hypoosmotic regulation during seawater acclimation and active ammonia excretion during ammonia exposure
Yuen K Ip
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, Singapore 117543, Republic of Singapore
J Comp Physiol B 182:793-812. 2012
..acclimation or exposure to 100 mmol l⁻¹ NH₄Cl in freshwater on its mRNA and protein expressions in, the gills of Anabas testudineus. There were 4,530 bp coding for 1,510 amino acids in the cftr cDNA sequence from A...
- A low-pathogenic variant of infectious salmon anemia virus (ISAV-HPR0) is highly prevalent and causes a non-clinical transient infection in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in the Faroe Islands
Debes H Christiansen
Food and Veterinary Agency, National Reference Laboratory for Fish Diseases, Torshavn, Faroe Islands
J Gen Virol 92:909-18. 2011
..This risk is probably being further reduced by practical management strategies adopted in the Faroes and aimed at reducing the potential for maintenance and adaptation of ISAV-HPR0...
- Acclimation of ion regulatory capacities in gills of marine fish under environmental hypercapnia
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Marine Animal Physiology, Am Handelshafen 12, D 27570 Bremerhaven, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R1660-70. 2008
..family (Na(+)/HCO(3)(-) cotransporter NBC1 and Cl(-)/HCO(3)(-) exchanger AE1) were described for the first time in gills of marine fish. Benthic eelpout Zoarces viviparus were acclimated to 10,000 ppm CO(2)...
- Antioxidant deficit in gills of Pacific oyster (Crassostrea gigas) exposed to chlorodinitrobenzene increases menadione toxicity
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, 88040 900 Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Aquat Toxicol 108:85-93. 2012
..CDNB pre-treatment (10 μM for 18 h) was able to consume cellular thiols in gills, decreasing GSH (53%) and decrease protein thiols (25%)...
- Molluscan death effector domain (DED)-containing caspase-8 gene from disk abalone (Haliotis discus discus): molecular characterization and expression analysis
Department of Marine Life Sciences, School of Marine Biomedical Sciences, Jeju National University, Jeju Special Self Governing Province 690 756, Republic of Korea
Fish Shellfish Immunol 30:480-7. 2011
..These results suggest that hdCaspase-8 may be involved in immune response reactions in disk abalone...
- Effects of nanoparticles in Mytilus edulis gills and hepatopancreas - a new threat to marine life?
Department of Biosciences, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Germany
Mar Environ Res 66:12-4. 2008
..In both, gills and hepatopancreas we analysed uptake of nanomaterials by transmission electronmicroscopy (TEM) in unstained ..
- Elevated seawater PCO₂ differentially affects branchial acid-base transporters over the course of development in the cephalopod Sepia officinalis
Marian Y Hu
Biological Oceanography, Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences, Kiel, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 300:R1100-14. 2011
..a V-type H(+)-ATPase (soV-HA), and Na(+)/HCO(3)(-) cotransporter (soNBC) are colocalized in NKA-rich cells in the gills of Sepia officinalis...
- Effect of Pseudomonas sp. MT5 baths on Flavobacterium columnare infection of rainbow trout and on microbial diversity on fish skin and gills
L R Suomalainen
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, PO Box 35, 40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland
Dis Aquat Organ 63:61-8. 2005
..Again, the antagonistic bacteria had no effect on fish mortality, which reached 95 % in both control and antagonist-treated groups in 7 d...
- Active NaCl absorption across posterior gills of hyperosmoregulating Chasmagnathus granulatus
Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Avenida Bandeirantes 3900, Ribeirão Preto 14040 901, SP, Brasil
J Exp Biol 206:1017-23. 2003
Split lamellae of posterior gills of Chasmagnathus granulatus adapted to 2.5 per thousand salinity were mounted in a modified Ussing chamber. With NaCl-saline on both sides of the preparation a transepithelial voltage (V(te)) of 4.1+/-0...
- Age- and size-specific patterns of heavy metals in the organs of freshwater fish Abramis brama L. populating a low-contaminated site
Balaton Limnological Research Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, P O B 35, Tihany 8237, Hungary
Water Res 37:959-64. 2003
..The seasonal variations in the heavy metal load of bream could be attributed rather to the seasonal change in the condition factor of fish than to variations in the pollutant load of the site...
- Characterization of 'Candidatus Clavochlamydia salmonicola': an intracellular bacterium infecting salmonid fish
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, N 5020 Bergen, Norway
Environ Microbiol 10:208-18. 2008
..We propose the name 'Candidatus Clavochlamydia salmonicola' for this agent of epitheliocystis in freshwater salmonids...
- Phosphorylated intermediate of the ouabain-insensitive, Na(+)-stimulated ATPase in rat kidney cortex and rainbow trout gills
Department of Biochemistry G Moruzzi, University of Bologna, BO, Italy
Biochimie 92:128-35. 2010
Several tissues from different animals, including the rat kidney and the freshwater rainbow trout gills, show an ouabain-insensitive, furosemide-sensitive, Na(+)-stimulated ATPase activity, which has been associated with the active ..
- Na(+), Cl(-), Ca(2+) and Zn(2+) transport by fish gills: retrospective review and prospective synthesis
W S Marshall
Department of Biology, St Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, B2G 2W5
J Exp Zool 293:264-83. 2002
The secondary active Cl(-) secretion in seawater (SW) teleost fish gills and elasmobranch rectal gland involves basolateral Na(+),K(+)-ATPase and NKCC, apical membrane CFTR anion channels, and a paracellular Na(+)-selective conductance...
- Dual symbiosis in a Bathymodiolus sp. mussel from a methane seep on the Gabon continental margin (Southeast Atlantic): 16S rRNA phylogeny and distribution of the symbionts in gills
IFREMER Départment Environnement Profond, Centre de Brest, Plouzane, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:1694-700. 2005
Deep-sea mussels of the genus Bathymodiolus (Bivalvia: Mytilidae) harbor symbiotic bacteria in their gills and are among the dominant invertebrate species at cold seeps and hydrothermal vents...
- The transcription factor, glial cell missing 2, is involved in differentiation and functional regulation of H+-ATPase-rich cells in zebrafish (Danio rerio)
Wei Jen Chang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei 11529, Taiwan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R1192-201. 2009
..HR) cells in zebrafish are known to be involved in acid secretion and Na(+) uptake mechanisms in zebrafish gills/skin; however, little is known about how HR cells are functionally regulated...
- Are we missing a mineralocorticoid in teleost fish? Effects of cortisol, deoxycorticosterone and aldosterone on osmoregulation, gill Na+,K+ -ATPase activity and isoform mRNA levels in Atlantic salmon
Stephen D McCormick
USGS, Conte Anadromous Fish Research Center, One Migratory Way, PO Box 796, Turners Falls, MA 01376, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 157:35-40. 2008
..The results provide support that cortisol, and not DOC or aldosterone, is involved in regulating the mineralocorticoid functions of ion uptake and salt secretion in teleost fish...
- A thymus candidate in lampreys
Department of Developmental Immunology, Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Stuebeweg 51, D 79108 Freiburg, Germany
Nature 470:90-4. 2011
..These findings suggest that the similarities underlying the dual nature of the adaptive immune systems in the two sister groups of vertebrates extend to primary lymphoid organs...
- The relationships between heavy metal (Cd, Cr, Cu, Fe, Pb, Zn) levels and the size of six Mediterranean fish species
Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, University of Cukurova, Adana, Turkey
Environ Pollut 121:129-36. 2003
..cuculus. Cr and Pb concentrations in the liver and Cu concentrations in all the tissues of Scomberesox saurus also showed very significant (P<0.001) negative relationships. Negative relationships found here were discussed...
- A membrane-bound hemoglobin from gills of the green shore crab Carcinus maenas
Institute of Zoology and Zoological Museum, University of Hamburg, D 20146 Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:3185-93. 2011
..maenas hemoglobin does not reside in the hemolymph but is restricted to the gills. Immunofluorescence studies and cell fractioning showed that C...
- Expression of arginine kinase enzymatic activity and mRNA in gills of the euryhaline crabs Carcinus maenas and Callinectes sapidus
Department of Biology, Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA
J Exp Biol 203:2395-404. 2000
..The major invertebrate phosphagen kinase, arginine kinase, is expressed in the gills of two species of euryhaline crabs, the blue crab Callinectes sapidus and the shore crab Carcinus maenas, in which ..
- Rapid hyperosmotic coinduction of two tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) transcription factors in gill cells
Diego F Fiol
Physiological Genomics Group, Department of Animal Science, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:927-32. 2005
b>Gills of euryhaline teleosts are excellent models for studying osmotic-stress adaptation because they directly contact the aquatic environment and are an important effector tissue during osmotic stress...
- Molecular biology of major components of chloride cells
Department of Biological Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta cho, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 136:593-620. 2003
- Differential expression of gill Na+,K+-ATPase alpha- and beta-subunits, Na+,K+,2Cl- cotransporter and CFTR anion channel in juvenile anadromous and landlocked Atlantic salmon Salmo salar
Tom O Nilsen
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, High Technology Centre, Bergen N 5020, Norway
J Exp Biol 210:2885-96. 2007
..Furthermore, landlocked salmon have lost some of the unique preparatory upregulation of gill NKA, NKCC and, to some extent, CFTR anion channel associated with the development of hypo-osmoregulatory ability in anadromous salmon...
- Salinity adaptation and gene profiling analysis in the European eel (Anguilla anguilla) using microarray technology
School of Biology, University of St Andrews, Fife, UK
Gen Comp Endocrinol 152:274-80. 2007
..Microarray results were validated using known genes implicated in osmoregulation, such as prolactin, growth hormone, Na, K-ATPase and some unknown genes, the role of which in osmoregulation needs to be elucidated...
- Dynamic transcriptomic profiles of zebrafish gills in response to zinc supplementation
Mineral Metabolism Group, Nutritional Sciences Division, King s College London, London SE1 9NH, UK
BMC Genomics 11:553. 2010
..This organ forms a conduit for zinc uptake whilst exhibiting conservation of zinc trafficking components...
- Morphological presentation of a dendritic-like cell within the gills of chinook salmon infected with Loma salmonae
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Ave, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada C1A 4P3
Dev Comp Immunol 30:259-63. 2006
- Gill anatomy and the evolution of symbiosis in the bivalve family Thyasiridae
Suzanne C Dufour
Marine Biology Research Division, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California 92093 0202, USA
Biol Bull 208:200-12. 2005
..of symbiosis among thyasirid genera, and the relationships between gill structure and symbiont occurrence, the gills of 26 thyasirid species were studied by light and electron microscopy...
- Microarray-detected changes in gene expression in gills of green crabs (Carcinus maenas) upon dilution of environmental salinity
David W Towle
Center for Marine Functional Genomics, Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salsbury Cove, ME 04672, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics 6:115-25. 2011
The interaction between environmental salinity and gene expression was studied in gills of the euryhaline green shore crab Carcinus maenas...
- Comparison of molecular and histological changes in zebrafish gills exposed to metallic nanoparticles
Robert J Griffitt
Department of Coastal Science, University of Southern Mississippi, Ocean Springs, Mississippi 39654, USA
Toxicol Sci 107:404-15. 2009
..Morphological and transcriptional responses of the gills differed among various nanomaterials and between nanoparticulate and soluble species...
- Effects of hypothermia on gene expression in zebrafish gills: upregulation in differentiation and function of ionocytes as compensatory responses
Ming Yi Chou
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, 115 Taiwan
J Exp Biol 211:3077-84. 2008
..This paved the way to investigate the role of ionoregulatory genes in zebrafish gills during cold acclimation...
- Dynamic transcriptomic profiles of zebrafish gills in response to zinc depletion
Mineral Metabolism Group, Nutritional Sciences Division, King s College London, London SE1 9NH, UK
BMC Genomics 11:548. 2010
- Gene expression and localization of the epinecidin-1 antimicrobial peptide in the grouper (Epinephelus coioides), and its role in protecting fish against pathogenic infection
Chia Yu Pan
Department of Environmental Biology and Fisheries Science, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan
DNA Cell Biol 26:403-13. 2007
..peptide (rabbit polyclonal antibody) showed that the peptide was localized with the epinecidin-1 antibody in the gills and intestines...
- A new species of yunnanozoan with implications for deuterostome evolution
Early Life Institute and Department of Geology, Northwest University, Xi an 710069, China
Science 299:1380-4. 2003
..These include external gills, which suggest that the origin of the pharyngeal clefts was independent of the gills...
- Branchial expression patterns of claudin isoforms in Atlantic salmon during seawater acclimation and smoltification
C K Tipsmark
Institute of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1563-74. 2008
..claudin 27a and 30. It is possible that claudin 10e is an important component of cation selective channels, whereas reduction in claudin 27a and 30 may change permeability conditions in favor of the ion secretory mode of the SW gill...
- Expression of genes for sulfur oxidation in the intracellular chemoautotrophic symbiont of the deep-sea bivalve Calyptogena okutanii
Marine Biodiversity Research Program, Institute of Biogeosciences, Japan Agency for Marine Earth Science and Technology JAMSTEC, Yokosuka 237 0061, Japan
Extremophiles 13:895-903. 2009
- Characterization of symbiont populations in life-history stages of mussels from chemosynthetic environments
Jennifer L Salerno
Biology Department, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia 23187, USA
Biol Bull 208:145-55. 2005
..heckerae (delta 13C = -56 per thousand; delta 15N = -2 per thousand) varied little among life-history stages and provided no record of a larval diet of photosynthetically derived organic material in the post-larval and juvenile stages...
- The gene encoding the nucleocapsid protein of Gill-associated nidovirus of Penaeus monodon prawns is located upstream of the glycoprotein gene
Jeff A Cowley
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Queensland Bioscience Precinct, 306 Carmody Rd, St Lucia 4067, Australia
J Virol 78:8935-41. 2004
- Role of SLC12A10.2, a Na-Cl cotransporter-like protein, in a Cl uptake mechanism in zebrafish (Danio rerio)
Yi Fang Wang
Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan 11529, ROC
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R1650-60. 2009
..2 was found to predominately and specifically be expressed in gills. Double in situ hybridization/immunocytochemistry in zebrafish skin/gills demonstrated that the specific ..
- Cortisol regulation of ion transporter mRNA in Atlantic salmon gill and the effect of salinity on the signaling pathway
Institute of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Campusvej 55, DK 5230 Odense M, Denmark
J Endocrinol 194:417-27. 2007
..with and without addition of specific hormone receptor antagonists (RU486 and spironolactone) was analyzed in gills from freshwater (FW) and seawater (SW) acclimated fish...
- Ionoregulatory and endocrine responses to disturbed salt and water balance in Mozambique tilapia exposed to confinement and handling stress
Jason P Breves
Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, University of Hawaii, Kaneohe, HI 96744, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 155:294-300. 2010
..Taken together, PRL and NKCC participate in restoring osmotic balance during acute stress while the GH/IGF-I axis displays only modest responses...
- Switching of Na+, K+-ATPase isoforms by salinity and prolactin in the gill of a cichlid fish
C K Tipsmark
Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, University of Hawaii, Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744, USA
J Endocrinol 209:237-44. 2011
..The clear Prl dependence of gill α-1a expression may partially explain the importance of this hormone to hyperosmoregulation in this species...
- mRNA Expression and activity of ion-transporting proteins in gills of the blue crab Callinectes sapidus: effects of waterborne copper
Camila M G Martins
Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Environ Toxicol Chem 30:206-11. 2011
..transcription of genes encoding ion-transporting proteins and the activities of these proteins were evaluated in gills of the blue crab Callinectes sapidus acclimated to diluted (2‰) and full (30‰) seawater...
- Expression of a duplicate Na,K-ATPase beta(1)-isoform in the European eel (Anguilla anguilla)
C P Cutler
School of Biology, Bute Medical Buildings, University of Saint Andrews, Saint Andrews, Fife, Scotland KY16 9TS
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 279:R222-9. 2000
- Ultrastructural and immunohistochemical investigation on the gills of the teleost, Thalassoma pavo L., exposed to cadmium
Abele Saita Electron Microscopy Laboratories, Department of Ecology, University of Calabria, Via P Bucci, Rende Cosenza, Italy
Acta Histochem 113:201-13. 2011
An investigation was conducted to determine the effects of the heavy metal, cadmium (Cd), on the gills of the teleost fish, Thalassoma pavo Linnaeus, 1758...
- New species of Rhabdosynochus Mizelle and Blatz 1941 (Monogenoidea: Diplectanidae) from the gills of centropomid fishes (Teleostei) off the Pacific Coast of Mexico
Edgar F Mendoza-Franco
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Naos Island Laboratories, Apartado 0843 03092 Balboa, Ancon, Panama, Republic of Panama
J Parasitol 94:28-35. 2008
..the State of Guerrero off the Pacific coast of Mexico, the following diplectanid species (Monogenoidea) from the gills of centropomids were found: Rhabdosynochus alterinstitus n. sp...
- Mitochondria-rich cells in gills and skin of an African lungfish, Protopterus annectens
Dipartimento di Biologia Sperimentale, Ambientale ed Applicata (DIBISAA, Sezione di Neuroendocrinologia e Biologia dello Sviluppo, , Viale Benedetto XV 5, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Cell Tissue Res 303:351-8. 2001
..to the inner mitochondrial membrane to study the presence and localisation of mitochondria-rich cells in the gills and skin (opercular, dorsal and ventral) of the lungfish Protopterus annectens in its free-swimming conditions and ..
- Hormone receptors in gills of smolting Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar: expression of growth hormone, prolactin, mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptors and 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2
Institute of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK 5230 Odense M, Denmark
Gen Comp Endocrinol 152:295-303. 2007
..The study concludes that GR and MR may have distinctive roles in developing hypo- and hyper-osmoregulatory mechanisms during smoltification and de-smoltification, respectively...
- Urea and water permeability in dogfish (Squalus acanthias) gills
Department of Environmental Toxicology, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18A, Sweden
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 119:117-23. 1998
- Microbial and pathological findings in farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar with proliferative gill inflammation
Section for Fish Health, National Veterinary Institute, Oslo, Norway
Dis Aquat Organ 91:201-11. 2010
..No evidence for the involvement of Atlantic salmon paramyxovirus in PGI development was identified in the present study. High water temperatures and ectoparasites probably exacerbated mortality...
- Partitioning of oxygen uptake between the gills and skin in fish larvae: a novel method for estimating cutaneous oxygen uptake
P J Rombough
Department of Zoology, Brandon University, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada R7A 6A9
J Exp Biol 201:1763-9. 1998
..to the traditional rubber dam method for measuring cutaneous oxygen uptake in bimodally respiring (skin + gills) fish larvae...
- 3D FISH for the quantification of methane- and sulphur-oxidizing endosymbionts in bacteriocytes of the hydrothermal vent mussel Bathymodiolus azoricus
UPMC Univ Paris 06, UMR 7138 Systématique Adaptation Evolution, équipe Adaptation aux Milieux Extrêmes, Paris, France
ISME J 2:284-92. 2008
Dual endosymbioses involving methane- and sulphur-oxidizing bacteria occur in the gills of several species of mussels from deep-sea hydrothermal vents and cold seeps...
- Multiplex RT-nested PCR differentiation of gill-associated virus (Australia) from yellow head virus (Thailand) of Penaeus monodon
Jeff A Cowley
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Queensland Bioscience Precinct, 306 Carmody Road, St Lucia 4067, Australia
J Virol Methods 117:49-59. 2004
..Sequence analysis of GAV and YHV PCR amplicons identified minor variations in the regions targeted by the virus-specific antisense primers. However, none occurred at positions that critically affected the PCR...
- Effects of hexazinone and atrazine on the physiology and endocrinology of smolt development in Atlantic salmon
Department of Natural Resources Conservation and Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, University of Massachusetts, USGS, Leetown Science Center, Conte Anadromous Fish Research Center, Turners Falls, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Aquat Toxicol 84:27-37. 2007
..It is concluded that under the conditions imposed in this study, HEX does not affect salinity tolerance of Atlantic salmon smolts, while ATZ causes ionoregulatory, growth and endocrine disturbance...
- Antioxidant responses after microcystin exposure in gills of an estuarine crab species pre-treated with vitamin E
G L L Pinho
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Fundacao Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, 96201 900 Rio Grande, RS, Brazil
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 61:361-5. 2005
Microcystins are hepatotoxins suspected to generate oxidative stress. This mechanism was evaluated in gills of the estuarine crab Chasmagnathus granulatus (Decapoda, Brachyura)...
- Effects of environmental anoxia and different periods of reoxygenation on oxidative balance in gills of the estuarine crab Chasmagnathus granulata
Ubirajara O de Oliveira
Laboratório de Metabolismo e Endocrinologia Comparada, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 140:51-7. 2005
..8 h) and different periods of reoxygenation (20 and 40 min) on the oxidative balance in anterior and posterior gills of the crab Chasmagnathus granulata...
- The ruminant digestion model using bacteria already employed early in evolution by symbiotic molluscs
Laboratory of Proteins, University of Paris V, 45, rue des Saints Pères, F 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
J Mol Evol 43:523-7. 1996
The purification and some molecular properties of six lysozymes from the gills of different mytilids and vesicomyids are described: they belong to the previously described Invertebrate lysozyme family...
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in teleost fish
W S Marshall
Department of Biology, St Francis Xavier University, Nova Scotia, Antigonish, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1566:16-27. 2002
The gills and intestinal epithelia of teleost fish express cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR), and utilize this low conductance anion channel in the apical membrane for ion secretion in seawater gill and in the ..
- External gills and adaptive embryo behavior facilitate synchronous development and hatching plasticity under respiratory constraint
Jessica R Rogge
Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Exp Biol 211:3627-35. 2008
..5-16.5 kPa. Embryos maintain large external gills until hatching, then gills regress rapidly...
- Structure, properties and enhanced expression of galactose-binding C-type lectins in mucous cells of gills from freshwater Japanese eels (Anguilla japonica)
A C Mistry
Department of Biological Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8501, Japan
Biochem J 360:107-15. 2001
..Western blot analyses demonstrated high-level expression of eCL-1 and eCL-2 mRNAs and their protein products in gills from freshwater eels, which decreased markedly when the eels were transferred from freshwater to seawater...
- Toxicity of dispersant application: Biomarkers responses in gills of juvenile golden grey mullet (Liza aurata)
Littoral Environnement et Sociétés, UMR 6250, CNRS Université de La Rochelle, 2 rue Olympe de Gouges, F 17042 La Rochelle Cedex 01, France
Environ Pollut 159:2921-8. 2011
..Several biomarkers were assessed in the gills (enzymatic antioxidant activities, glutathione content, lipid peroxidation) and in the gallbladder (polycylic ..
- Dynamics of cadmium accumulation and effects in common carp (Cyprinus carpio) during simultaneous exposure to water and food (Tubifex tubifex)
Department of Biology, Research Unit Ecophysiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology, Antwerp University, Groenenborgerlaan 171, B 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Environ Toxicol Chem 25:1558-67. 2006
..changed, with progressively more cadmium being accumulated in the liver and especially the kidney and less in the gills and the intestine...
- Cellular localization of lead using an antibody-based detection system and enzyme activity changes in the gills and digestive gland of the blue mussel Mytilus edulis
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Am Handelshafen 12, 27570 Bremerhaven, Germany
Environ Toxicol Chem 28:402-8. 2009
..10 d) and depuration (10 d in clean seawater) experiments were conducted to study its intracellular fate in the gills and digestive gland of M. edulis...
- Effect of seawater transfer on CYP1A gene expression in rainbow trout gills
INRA, UR1037, SCRIBE, IFR140, Biogenouest, F 35000, Rennes, France
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 156:211-7. 2010
During the transfer of rainbow trout from freshwater to seawater, the gills have to switch from an ion-absorption epithelium to an ion-secretion epithelium in order to maintain equilibrium of their hydromineral balance...
- The 50 year evolution of in vitro systems to reveal salt transport functions of teleost fish gills
William S Marshall
Department of Biology, St Francis Xavier University, Box 5000, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 155:275-80. 2010
..in vitro experimental methods that have been used to help elucidate the ion transport mechanisms of teleost fish gills. It begins with an isolated gill preparation published by Denis Bellamy in 1961 and progresses through many ..
- Monogeneans from the gills of glassfishes (Teleostei: Perciformes: Ambassidae) in India, with the proposal of Chandacleidus n. g. (Monogenea: Dactylogyridae)
Department of Zoology, University of Lucknow, Lucknow, 226007, UP, India
Syst Parasitol 63:223-30. 2006
Chandacleidus n. g. (Monogenea, Dactylogyridae) is proposed to include three species collected from the gills of Indian glassfishes (Ambassidae): Chandacleidus recurvatus (Jain, 1961) n. comb. (syn...
- Myxobolus albi n. sp. (Myxozoa) from the Gills of the Common Goby Pomatoschistus microps Krøyer (Teleostei: Gobiidae)
Sara M Picon-Camacho
Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, United Kingdom
J Eukaryot Microbiol 56:421-7. 2009
..A phylogenetic analysis places this new myxobolid, Myxobolus albi n. sp., in a basal position of a clade containing the majority of Henneguya spp. sequenced to date and various Myxobolus spp...
- Three new species of Protogyrodactylus Johnston & Tiegs, 1922 (Monogenoidea: Dactylogyridae) from the gills of the longtail silverbiddy Gerres longirostris (Teleostei: Gerreidae) in the Red Sea
Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milano Bicocca, Piazza della Scienza 2, 20126 Milano, Italy
Syst Parasitol 69:221-31. 2008
..P. alatus was closest to P. youngi Bychowsky & Nagibina, 1974, from which it differed by having delicate anchors and two prominent anteromedial processes on the ventral bar...
- V-type H+-ATPase and Na+,K+-ATPase in the gills of 13 euryhaline crabs during salinity acclimation
Jyuan Ru Tsai
Department of Life Science, Tunghai University, Taichung 40704, Taiwan
J Exp Biol 210:620-7. 2007
..Crabs can actively uptake or excrete ions upon salinity change, and the gills play a major role among the osmoregulatory organs...
- Development of oxygen sensing in the gills of zebrafish
Michael G Jonz
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1
J Exp Biol 208:1537-49. 2005
..At earlier stages, however, O(2)-sensing must occur through another pathway. The possibility that a new type of 5-HT-positive NEC of the gill arches may account for this earlier hypoxic response is discussed...
- Ichthyobodo hippoglossi n. sp. (Kinetoplastea: Prokinetoplastida: Ichthyobodonidae fam. nov.), an ectoparasitic flagellate infecting farmed Atlantic halibut Hippoglossus hippoglossus
Trond E Isaksen
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, 5020 Bergen, Norway
Dis Aquat Organ 73:207-17. 2007
..Morphologically, the Ichthyobodo species from the skin and gills of halibut differs from I...
- A dual symbiosis shared by two mussel species, Bathymodiolus azoricus and Bathymodiolus puteoserpentis (Bivalvia: Mytilidae), from hydrothermal vents along the northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology, Celsiusstr 1, D 28359 Bremen, Germany
Environ Microbiol 8:1441-7. 2006
- Sex hormone-binding globulin in fish gills is a portal for sex steroids breached by xenobiotics
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of British Columbia, British Columbia, Canada V5Z 4H4
Endocrinology 149:4269-75. 2008
..Low levels of SHBG mRNA are present in zebra fish gills but are unlikely to account for the high amounts of immunoreactive SHBG in filaments and lamellae...