Genomes and Genes
bursa of fabricius
Summary: An epithelial outgrowth of the cloaca in birds similar to the thymus in mammals. It atrophies within 6 months after birth and remains as a fibrous remnant in adult birds. It is composed of lymphoid tissue and prior to involution, is the site of B-lymphocyte maturation.
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- Early replication in pulmonary B cells after infection with Marek's disease herpesvirus by the respiratory routeB J G Baaten
Institute for Animal Health, Compton, Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Viral Immunol 22:431-44. 2009..Together the data described here demonstrate the role of pulmonary B cells as the primary and predominant target cells and their importance for MDV pathogenesis...
- Growth hormone expression in stromal and non-stromal cells in the bursa of Fabricius during bursal development and involution: Causal relationships?A J Rodríguez-Méndez
Departamento de Neurobiologia Celular y Molecular, Instituto de Neurobiologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Campus Juriquilla, Queretaro, Qro 76230, Mexico
Gen Comp Endocrinol 167:297-307. 2010Growth hormone (GH) is expressed in the chicken bursa of Fabricius (BF), an organ that undergoes three distinct developmental stages: rapid growth (late embryogenesis until 6-8 weeks of age [w]), plateaued growth (between 10 and 15w), and ..
- The decrease of relative weight, lesions, and apoptosis of bursa of fabricius induced by excess dietary selenium in chickensXi Peng
College of Veterinary Medicine, Sichuan Agricultural University, Yaan, Sichuan, China
Biol Trace Elem Res 131:33-42. 2009..of excess dietary sodium selenite on immune function by determining morphological changes and apoptosis of bursa of Fabricius. Three hundred 1-day-old Avian broilers were fed on a basic diet (0...
- Antibodies, immunoglobulin genes and the bursa of Fabricius in chicken B cell developmentMichael J H Ratcliffe
Department of Immunology, University of Toronto, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dev Comp Immunol 30:101-18. 2006The bursa of Fabricius is critical for the normal development of B lymphocytes in birds...
- Comparative studies on the secondary lymphoid tissue areas in the chicken bursa of Fabricius and calf ileal Peyer's patchYuriko Kozuka
Department of Veterinary Anatomy, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Miyazaki, 1 1 Kibanadai nishi, Miyazaki 889 2192, Japan
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 133:190-7. 2010The chicken bursa of Fabricius and calf ileal Peyer's patch are thought to be the primary lymphoid organs of B cell development...
- In situ detection and quantification of bursa of fabricius cellular proliferation or apoptosis in normal or steroid-treated neonatal chicksS E Higgins
Department of Poultry Science and Veterinary Pathobiology, Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843 2472, USA
Poult Sci 81:1136-41. 2002..to be the mechanism for depletion of lymphocytes recognizing self-antigens following clonal expansion in the bursa of Fabricius. Although bursal apoptosis has previously been shown to increase following in vivo exposure to ..
- Induction of apoptosis during normal and neoplastic B-cell development in the bursa of FabriciusP E Neiman
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle 98104
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88:5857-61. 1991..A programmed cell death pathway can be activated during normal B-cell development in the bursa, and alterations in the expression of this pathway accompany neoplastic change in this system...
- Effects of aflatoxin B1 on the development of the bursa of Fabricius and blood lymphocyte acid phosphatase of the chickenE Sur
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Selcuk, Kampus, Konya, Turkey
Br Poult Sci 44:558-66. 2003..and effects of in ovo administration of aflatoxin B1 (AFB1) on the embryonic development of the bursa of Fabricius were determined in fertilised chicken eggs by histological methods and histochemical demonstration of acid ..
- The cell cycle arrest and apoptosis of bursa of Fabricius induced by low selenium in chickensXi Peng
College of Veterinary Medicine, Sichuan Agricultural University, Yaan, Sichuan 625014, China
Biol Trace Elem Res 139:32-40. 2011..investigate the effects of low selenium (Se) on immune function by determining cell cycle and apoptosis of bursa of Fabricius. One hundred twenty 1-day-old avian broilers were randomly assigned to two groups of 60 each and were fed on ..
- Host responses in the bursa of Fabricius of chickens infected with virulent Marek's disease virusM F Abdul-Careem
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Virology 379:256-65. 2008The bursa of Fabricius serves as an important tissue in the process of Marek's disease virus (MDV) pathogenesis, since B cells of the bursa harbor the cytolytic phase of MDV replication cycle...
- Characterization of responses elicited by Toll-like receptor agonists in cells of the bursa of Fabricius in chickensMichael St Paul
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 149:237-44. 2012..The aim of the present study was to elucidate the responses mounted by cells of the bursa of Fabricius to treatment with the TLR 3, 4 and 21 ligands, poly I:C, lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and CpG ..
- Role of Nr13 in regulation of programmed cell death in the bursa of FabriciusR M Lee
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Genes Dev 13:718-28. 1999Apoptotic cell death is developmentally regulated in the chicken bursa of Fabricius. Although apoptosis is low in the embryonic bursa, cell death increases markedly after hatching...
- Pathology of the thymus, spleen and bursa of Fabricius in zinc-deficient ducklingsHengmin Cui
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine Sichuan Agricultural University Yaan 625014 Sichuan, China
Avian Pathol 32:259-64. 2003The weight and growth index of bursa of Fabricius, thymus and spleen were significantly reduced (P<0.05 or P<0.01) in zinc (Zn)-deficient ducks (Zn 22.9 mg/kg diet) when compared with normal ducks...
- Dietary vanadium induces lymphocyte apoptosis in the bursa of Fabricius of broilersWei Cui
Key Laboratory of Animal Diseases and Environmental Hazards of Sichuan Province, College of Veterinary Medicine, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an, Sichuan, 625014, China
Biol Trace Elem Res 146:59-67. 2012The purpose of this 42-day study was to investigate the apoptosis in the bursa of Fabricius induced by different levels of dietary vanadium...
- Detection and persistence of infectious bursal disease virus in specific-pathogen-free and commercial broiler chickensG A Abdel-Alim
Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, Wooster 44691, USA
Avian Dis 45:646-54. 2001..This prompted us to investigate the persistence of IBDV or its RNA in the bursa of Fabricius (BF) of inoculated and vaccinated SPF chicks and of inoculated and vaccinated commercial broiler chicks that ..
- A comparison of immune responses to infection with virulent infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) between specific-pathogen-free chickens infected at 12 and 28 days of ageSilke Rautenschlein
Clinic for Poultry, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Bunteweg 17, 30559 Hannover, Germany
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 115:251-60. 2007..Under these experimental conditions, age-related differences were found only for the cytokine patterns but interestingly this did not influence the outcome of the disease with IBDV-IM...
- Infection and activation of bursal macrophages by virulent infectious bursal disease virusMahesh Khatri
Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, 1971 Commonwealth Avenue, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Virus Res 113:44-50. 2005..These data suggested that B cells may not be the sole targets for the virus; macrophages and possibly other cells may serve as host for IBDV...
- Comparative immunopathogenesis of mild, intermediate, and virulent strains of classic infectious bursal disease virusSilke Rautenschlein
Klinik fur Geflugel, Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, Bunteweg 17, 30559 Hannover, Germany
Avian Dis 47:66-78. 2003..05) and the most vigorous lesions in the bursa of Fabricius with the highest possible lesion score of 4 at 3 days PI (P < 0.05)...
- Effect of a variant infectious bursal disease virus (E/Del) on Salmonella typhimurium infection in commercial broiler chickensD A Bautista
Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, 8075 Greenmead Drive, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742 3711, USA
Avian Dis 48:361-9. 2004....
- Proteomic analysis of the host response in the bursa of Fabricius of chickens infected with Marek's disease virusZhanjun Lu
Key Lab of Jiangsu Preventive Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou City 225009, Jiangsu Province, China
Virus Res 153:250-7. 2010..In this paper, we identified differentially expressed proteins in the bursa of Fabricius of chickens infected with the highly virulent MDV strain RB1B, using two-dimensional gel electrophoresis on ..
- The diagnosis of very virulent infectious bursal disease in California pulletsSimone T Stoute
California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System, Turlock Branch, University of California, Davis, 1550 N Soderquist Road, Turlock, CA 95381, USA
Avian Dis 53:321-6. 2009..This is the first occurrence of vvIBDV reported from birds in the United States...
- Identification and characterization of two distinct bursal B-cell subpopulations following infectious bursal disease virus infection of White Leghorn chickensDaniel I Petkov
Department of Infectious Diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Avian Dis 53:347-55. 2009..bursal disease virus (IBDV) is an immunosuppressive virus which primarily infects IgM B-cells in the bursa of Fabricius. Flow cytometric analysis was used to phenotype B-cell populations in the bursa and spleen following IBDV ..
- Monoclonal antibodies against chicken Bu-1a and Bu-1b alloantigensT Veromaa
Department of Medical Microbiology, Turku University, Finland
Hybridoma 7:41-8. 1988..MAbs against both allelic Bu-1 antigens are beneficial tools e.g. in typing of chicken lines and in studies on chicken B cell differentiation...
- Expression of perforin-granzyme pathway genes in the bursa of infectious bursal disease virus-infected chickensAbdul Rauf
Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, 1680 Madison Avenue, Wooster, OH 44691, United States
Dev Comp Immunol 35:620-7. 2011..and apoptotic proteins; high mobility proteins group (HMG) and poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) in the bursa of Fabricius (BF) whereas expression of NK (natural killer) lysin was downregulated...
- The 9-1-1 DNA clamp is required for immunoglobulin gene conversionAlihossein Saberi
Department of Radiation Genetics, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Yoshida Konoe, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 28:6113-22. 2008..This suggests that the roles of Rad9 and Rad17 may be confined to a subset of homologous recombination reactions initiated by replication-stalling lesions rather than those associated with double-strand break repair...
- BASH, a novel signaling molecule preferentially expressed in B cells of the bursa of FabriciusR Goitsuka
Inheritance and Variation Group, PREST, JST, Kyoto, Japan
J Immunol 161:5804-8. 1998The bursa of Fabricius is a gut-associated lymphoid organ that is essential for the generation of a diversified B cell repertoire in the chicken. We describe here a novel gene preferentially expressed in bursal B cells...
- The contribution of Bruce Glick to the definition of the role played by the bursa of Fabricius in the development of the B cell lineageD Ribatti
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, University of Bari Medical School, Bari, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 145:1-4. 2006In 1956, Bruce Glick and Timothy Chang reported that the bursa of Fabricius plays an important role in antibody production...
- Immunoglobulin gene conversion: insights from bursal B cells and the DT40 cell lineHiroshi Arakawa
GSF, Institute for Molecular Radiobiology, Neuherberg Munich, Germany
Dev Dyn 229:458-64. 2004..their immunoglobulin (Ig) light and heavy chain genes by pseudogene templated gene conversion within the bursa of Fabricius. Although Ig gene conversion was initially believed to occur only in birds, it is now clear that most farm ..
- Relative quantification and detection of different types of infectious bursal disease virus in bursa of Fabricius and cloacal swabs using real time RT-PCR SYBR green technologyY P Li
Department of Poultry, Fish and Fur Animals, Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research, Hangøvej 2, DK 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Res Vet Sci 82:126-33. 2007..virulent strain DK01, classic strain F52/70 and vaccine strain D78 were quantified and detected in infected bursa of Fabricius (BF) and cloacal swabs using quantitative real time RT-PCR with SYBR green dye...
- Infectious bursal disease virus: strains that differ in virulence differentially modulate the innate immune response to infection in the chicken bursaIbrahim Eldaghayes
Institute for Animal Health, Compton, Berkshire, United Kingdom
Viral Immunol 19:83-91. 2006..This suggests that both viruses modulate the host immune response, although probably by using different mechanisms...
- Role of intrabursal T cells in infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) infection: T cells promote viral clearance but delay follicular recoveryS Rautenschlein
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Minnesota, St Paul, Minnesota, USA
Arch Virol 147:285-304. 2002..The target organ of IBDV, the bursa of Fabricius, of Tx-CsA-birds had a significantly higher antigen load than the one of T cell-intact birds (P < 0.05)...
- Effects of DDA, CpG-ODN, and plasmid-encoded chicken IFN-gamma on protective immunity by a DNA vaccine against IBDV in chickensHa Jung Roh
School of Veterinary Medicine and Institute of Veterinary Science, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200 701, Korea
J Vet Sci 7:361-8. 2006..These results suggest that DDA actually compromises the protection against the IBDV by DNA vaccine, and CpG-ODN and IFN-gamma had no significant effect...
- The effect of co-administration of DNA carrying chicken interferon-gamma gene on protection of chickens against infectious bursal disease by DNA-mediated vaccinationMing Kun Hsieh
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2065, USA
Vaccine 24:6955-65. 2006..The results indicated that co-administration of plasmid encoding chicken IFN-gamma gene with plasmid encoding a large segment gene of the IBDV did not enhance immune response and protection against challenge by IBDV...
- Avian adenovirus CELO recombinants expressing VP2 of infectious bursal disease virus induce protection against bursal disease in chickensAchille Francois
Agence Francaise de Securite Sanitaire des Aliments, Molecular Biology Unit, Zoopole les Croix, B P 53, Ploufragan 22440, France
Vaccine 22:2351-60. 2004..After challenge, the weight ratio Bursa of Fabricius/body was about 2.5 per thousand, a value similar to that obtained with the commercial Bur706 vaccine...
- Efficacy and safety of an infectious bursal disease virus intermediate vaccine in ovoM Coletti
Dipartimento di Scienze Biopatologiche Veterinarie, , Italy
Avian Dis 45:1036-43. 2001..In commercial chickens, immunoresponse to NDV vaccination was not influenced by in ovo vaccination...
- Priming with DNA vaccine and boosting with killed vaccine conferring protection of chickens against infectious bursal diseaseMing Kun Hsieh
Department of Comparative Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, 406 S University Street, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Vaccine 25:5417-27. 2007....
- Partial protection against infectious bursal disease virus through DNA-mediated vaccination with the VP2 capsid protein and chicken IL-2 genesDiane J Hulse
Department of Pathobiology, University of Florida, 2015 SW 16th Ave Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Vaccine 22:1249-59. 2004..It was also found that immunological tolerance may have been induced in one of the chicken experiments by vaccination with plasmid DNA...
- DNA vaccination with plasmids containing various fragments of large segment genome of infectious bursal disease virusHua Chen Chang
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, 1175 ADDL, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Vaccine 21:507-13. 2003..The results indicate that inclusion of VP2 gene in the plasmid DNA is essential in achieving effective protection mediated by DNA vaccination against IBDV infection in chickens...
- Effective protection by high efficiency bicistronic DNA vaccine against infectious bursal disease virus expressing VP2 protein and chicken IL-2Sachin Kumar
Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Vaccine 27:864-9. 2009..The virus affects the lymphoid tissues of chickens, mainly the B cells of bursa of Fabricius, leading to severe and prolonged immunosuppression...
- A recombinant turkey herpesvirus expressing chicken interleukin-2 increases the protection provided by in ovo vaccination with infectious bursal disease and infectious bronchitis virusI Tarpey
Intervet UK, Walton Manor, Walton, Milton Keynes, Bucks MK7 7AJ, UK
Vaccine 25:8529-35. 2007..This suggests that the co-delivery of IL-2/HVT with low doses of other vaccines in ovo may be one method to increase the number of vaccines that can be given safely and efficaciously via in ovo vaccination...
- Analysis of gene expression during myc oncogene-induced lymphomagenesis in the bursa of FabriciusP E Neiman
Divisions of Basic Sciences and Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the Departments of Medicine and Pathology, University of Washington, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:6378-83. 2001..In follicles of the chicken bursa of Fabricius, myc induction of B-cell neoplasia requires a target cell population present during early bursal development ..
- A large database of chicken bursal ESTs as a resource for the analysis of vertebrate gene functionI Abdrakhmanov
Heinrich Pette Institut for Experimental Virology and Immunology, Department of Cellular Immunology, 20251 Hamburg, Germany
Genome Res 10:2062-9. 2000Chicken B cells create their immunoglobulin repertoire within the Bursa of Fabricius by gene conversion...
- Functional genomic analysis reveals distinct neoplastic phenotypes associated with c-myb mutation in the bursa of FabriciusPaul E Neiman
Divisions of Basic Science and Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Oncogene 22:1073-86. 2003..This functional genomic analysis uncovered several different pathways of lymphomagenesis by oncogenic transcription factors acting in a B-cell lineage...
- Genomic instability during Myc-induced lymphomagenesis in the bursa of FabriciusP E Neiman
Division of Basic Science, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Oncogene 25:6325-35. 2006..Palindromic loci in TF and tumors, however, were expressed, many at high levels, suggesting an abundance of RNA species with long double-stranded segments generated during tumorigenesis...
- Enhanced immunopathology induced by very virulent infectious bursal disease virusA E Williams
Division of Immunology and Pathology, Institute for Animal Health, Compton Newbury, Berkshire, RG20 7NN, UK
Avian Pathol 34:4-14. 2005..The marked influx of T cells into the infected bursa indicates that cell-mediated immunity is likely to be important in the clearance of vvIBDV...
- Protection against very virulent infectious bursal disease virus in chickens immunized with DNA vaccinesSoo Joung Kim
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University, Chunchon 200 701, Republic of Korea
Vet Microbiol 101:39-51. 2004....
- Infectious bursal disease virus-induced immunosuppression in the chick is associated with the presence of undifferentiated follicles in the recovering bursaDavid R Withers
Institute for Animal Health, Compton, Newbury, Berkshire, RG20 7NN, UK
Viral Immunol 18:127-37. 2005..Most severe depletion occurs in the bursa of Fabricius, where the immunoglobulin repertoire is developed by gene conversion...
- Age-related changes in the avian primary lymphoid organs (thymus and bursa of Fabricius)Emilia Ciriaco
Dipartimento di Morfologia, Biochimica, Fisiologia e Produzioni Animali, Universita di Messina, Italy
Microsc Res Tech 62:482-7. 2003The avian primary lymphoid organs, the thymus and the bursa of Fabricius, undergo age-dependent changes leading in some cases to the complete atrophy of the organ...
- Effects of early age feed restriction and heat conditioning on heat shock protein 70 expression, resistance to infectious bursal disease, and growth in male broiler chickens subjected to heat stressP K Liew
Department of Animal Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Poult Sci 82:1879-85. 2003..We concluded that FRHT could improve weight gain and resistance to IBD in male broiler chickens under heat stress conditions. The improved heat tolerance and disease resistance in FRHT birds could be attributed to better HSP 70 response...
- Developmentally programmed expression of AID in chicken B cellsDavid R Withers
Immunology and Pathology Division, Institute for Animal Health, Compton, Newbury, Berkshire RG20 7NN, UK
Dev Comp Immunol 29:651-62. 2005..Expression was also detected at earlier stages, implying either that expression of AID is not the only controlling factor for gene conversion, or that gene conversion can precede the formation of bursal follicles...
- Modeling a whole organ using proteomics: the avian bursa of FabriciusFiona M McCarthy
Department of Basic Science, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS 39762 6100, USA
Proteomics 6:2759-71. 2006..Here we used the chicken bursa of Fabricius, a common experimental system for B cell function, to model organ function from proteomics data...
- Cell transplantation into immunodeficient chicken embryos. Reconstituting capacity of cells from the yolk sac at different stages of development and from the liver, thymus, bursa of Fabricius, spleen and bone marrow of 15-day embryosJ Eskola
Immunology 32:467-74. 1977..with histocompatible cells from the yolk sac at different stages of development and from the liver, thymus, bursa of Fabricius, spleen and bone marrow of 15-day-old-embryos...
- Regulation of chicken haemopoiesis by cytokinesC Siatskas
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Monash University Medical School, Commercial Road, Prahran, 3181, Melbourne, Australia
Dev Comp Immunol 24:37-59. 2000....
- The diffusely-infiltrated lymphoid tissue of the bursa of Fabricius of Sturnus unicolor. Histological organization and functional significanceJ Fonfria
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Biology, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Histol Histopathol 9:333-8. 1994In the present study we confirm and extend previous reports about the existence of a T-dependent area in the bursa of Fabricius of some birds, analyzing ultrastructurally the cell content of the so-called diffusely-infiltrated lymphoid ..
- Efficacy of DNA vaccines against infectious bursal disease virus in chickens enhanced by coadministration with CpG oligodeoxynucleotideXiaoquan Wang
College of Veterinary Medicine, Nanjing Agriculture University, Nanjing 210095, China
Avian Dis 47:1305-12. 2003..These results suggest that coadministration of the constructed plasmid pcDNA3.1-VP2 or pCI-VP2 with CpG ODN or commercial attenuated IBD vaccine could protect chickens efficiently from direct vvIBDV challenge...
- The avian B-cell receptor complex: distinct roles of Igalpha and Igbeta in B-cell developmentKelly A Pike
Department of Immunology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Immunol Rev 197:10-25. 2004The bursa of Fabricius has evolved in birds as a gut-associated site of B-cell lymphopoiesis that is segregated from the development of other hematopoietic lineages...
- Direct detection of infectious bursal disease virus from clinical samples by in situ reverse transcriptase-linked polymerase chain reactionTereza C Cardoso
Sao Paulo State University, UNESP Laboratorio de Virologia, DAPSA, Brasil
Avian Pathol 37:457-61. 2008..of the very virulent (vv) Brazilian strain of infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) was determined in the bursa of Fabricius, thymus and liver of 2-week-old broilers from a flock with a higher than expected mortality...
- Genotyping of Canadian field strains of infectious bursal disease virusDavor Ojkic
Animal Health Laboratory, University of Guelph, Ontario, Guelph, Canada
Avian Pathol 36:427-33. 2007..2% to 98.3%, to US IBDV strain 586. Five samples contained vaccine-related viruses, while two field strains showed the best match to Del A (United States) and IBDV strains SP_04_02 (Spain). Very virulent IBDVs were not detected in Canada...
- Protection conferred by coarse spray vaccination against challenge with infectious bursal disease virus in commercial broilersAlejandro Banda
Department of Population Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 4875, USA
Avian Dis 52:297-301. 2008..70 and did not differ from the unvaccinated-unchallenged control group. These results suggest that coarse spray vaccination can be considered as another tool to control IBDV in the field...
- Effect of infectious bursal disease virus insult on iron, copper, and zinc concentration in liver, bursa of Fabricius, spleen, pancreas, and serum of chickensC Blackmore
Department of Population, Health and Reproduction, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Avian Dis 50:303-5. 2006..Liver, bursa of Fabricius, pancreas, spleen, and serum were sampled in 10 controls and 10 challenged chickens at 3-day intervals ..
- Virus strains from a flock exhibiting unusually high mortality due to infectious bursal diseaseJ Ignjatovic
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Australian Animal Health Laboratory, Private Bag No 24, Geelong, Victoria 3220
Aust Vet J 82:763-8. 2004..To characterise infectious bursal disease viruses (IBDVs) isolated from commercial broiler flocks exhibiting unusually high mortality due to infectious bursal disease (IBD)...
- Infiltration by CD4+ and CD8+ lymphocytes in bursa of chickens infected with Infectious Bursal Disease Virus (IBDV): strain-specific differencesBhawna Poonia
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar 125 004, India
Indian J Exp Biol 42:823-9. 2004In order to investigate if there is any definite correlation between the degree of T-cell response in the bursa of Fabricius (BF) and the virulence of Infectious Bursal Disease (IBD) virus strains, chickens were infected with strains of ..
- Spontaneous colibacillosis in infectious bursal disease-affected broiler flocksM Mitra
West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Kolkata, India
Trop Anim Health Prod 36:627-32. 2004
- Protection against infectious bursal disease virulent challenge conferred by a recombinant avian adeno-associated virus vaccineF Perozo
Poultry Diagnostic and Research Center, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Avian Dis 52:315-9. 2008..rAAAV-VP2 vaccination induced protective immunity against IBDV challenge in 80% of the birds, without compromising the bursa of Fabricius. The use of rAAAV virions for gene delivery represents a novel approach to poultry vaccination.
- Enhancement of the immunogenicity of DNA vaccine against infectious bursal disease virus by co-delivery with plasmid encoding chicken interleukin 2Jianrong Li
Institute of Preventive Veterinary Medicine, College of Animal Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310029, PR China
Virology 329:89-100. 2004..These results strongly indicate that the efficacy of avian DNA vaccine can be modulated by co-administration of a plasmid encoding chIL-2...
- Comparative analysis of viral RNA and apoptotic cells in bursae following infection with infectious bursal disease virusLih L Kong
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universiti Putra Malaysia, UPM Serdang, 43400 Selangor, Malaysia
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 27:433-43. 2004..i. This study indicates that UPM97/61 and UPM94/273 have different efficiency of replication and percentage of apoptotic cells in bursae during the acute phase of IBDV infection...
- Infectious bursal disease virus polyprotein expression arrests growth and mitogenic stimulation of B lymphocytesM A Peters
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 2065, USA
Arch Virol 149:2413-26. 2004..The expression of the mature viral proteins VP2, VP4 or VP3 did not change the rate of cell proliferation or response of B cell cultures to mitogen. The results suggested that IBDV polyprotein is a mediator of immunosuppression...
- Diversified bursal medullary B cells survive and expand independently after depletion following neonatal infectious bursal disease virus infectionDavid R Withers
Institute for Animal Health, Compton, UK
Immunology 117:558-65. 2006..in proliferating immature B cells within the follicles of a specialized gut-associated lymphoid organ, the bursa of Fabricius. Neonatal infection with infectious bursal disease virus can eliminate almost the entire bursal B-cell ..
- Interference between mild and pathogenic strains of infectious bursal disease virus in chickensS Ashraf
Food Animal Health Research Program, Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, 1680 Madison Avenue, Wooster, OH 44691, USA
Avian Dis 49:99-103. 2005..The interference phenomenon observed might be due to competition for host receptor sites or production of cytokine(s). This interference phenomenon could have practical implications for vaccine usage and protection...
- Oral DNA vaccination with the polyprotein gene of infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) delivered by the attenuated Salmonella elicits protective immune responses in chickensLong Li
Institute of Protective Veterinary, College of Animal Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310029, PR China
Vaccine 24:5919-27. 2006..Our results have implications in the development of DNA vaccines against avian viral diseases by bacteria-vectored oral delivery system...
- Preparation and evaluation of Vero-cell infectious bursal disease vaccine in PakistanMuhammad Hidayat Rasool
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad 38040, Pakistan
Vaccine 24:2810-4. 2006..All the birds in control group showed sever bursal lesions post-challenge. The study indicated newly developed infectious bursal disease vaccine was found to be safe and immunogenic...
- Temporal and spatial analysis of the 1999 outbreak of acute clinical infectious bursal disease in broiler flocks in DenmarkJ Sanchez
Department of Health Management, Atlantic Veterinary College, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada C1A 4P3
Prev Vet Med 71:209-23. 2005..The analysis for the full hierarchical structure of the dataset identified variation (i.e. clustering) at the farm and municipality levels...
- Molecular analysis of infectious bursal disease virus from bursal tissues collected on FTA filter paperHugo Moscoso
Poultry Diagnostic and Research Center, Department of Population Health, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 4875, USA
Avian Dis 50:391-6. 2006....
- Protective efficacy of intermediate and intermediate plus infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) vaccines against very virulent IBDV in commercial broilersS Rautenschlein
Clinic for Poultry, Veterinary School Hannover, Bunteweg 17, 30559 Hannover, Germany
Avian Dis 49:231-7. 2005..To be able to evaluate vaccine efficacy in commercial broilers, parameters such as intrabursal IBDV-antigen load should also be considered in conjunction with bursa lesion scores...
- Identification of infectious bursal disease viruses from RNA extracted from paraffin-embedded tissueMohamed M Hamoud
Department of Population Health, Poultry Diagnostic and Research Center, College of Veterinary Medicine The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Avian Dis 50:476-82. 2006..The ability to identify the actual virus strain associated with the lesions observed microscopically in the bursa of Fabricius allowed for direct correlation between viral identity and lesions, which may help in designing vaccination ..
- Real-time RT-PCR analysis of two epitope regions encoded by the VP2 gene of infectious bursal disease virusesC S Mickael
Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, 1680 Madison Ave, Wooster, OH 44691, USA
J Virol Methods 128:37-46. 2005..Real-time RT-PCR can be a useful tool to assist in the development of more effective vaccination strategies...
- Development of recombinant VP2 vaccine for the prevention of infectious bursal disease of chickensJun Rong
Department of Biochemistry, College of Life Science, Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei 430072, PR China
Vaccine 23:4844-51. 2005..7% chickens. The results indicate that E. coli BL 21/pET 28 a-VP2 could be used to develop recombinant VP2 vaccine against infectious bursal disease in chickens...
- Delayed vaccine virus replication in chickens vaccinated subcutaneously with an immune complex infectious bursal disease vaccine: quantification of vaccine virus by real-time polymerase chain reactionJudit Iván
Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
Can J Vet Res 69:135-42. 2005..Only the bursa of Fabricius was found to be positive with unusually long viral persistence in the broiler group...
- Effects of dietary ratio of linoleic to linolenic acid on performance, antibody production, and in vitro lymphocyte proliferation in two strains of leghorn pullet chicksU Puthpongsiriporn
Charoen Pokphand Group Co, Ltd, Bangkok 105000, Thailand
Poult Sci 84:846-57. 2005..These results indicate that feeding a reduced dietary ratio of linoleic to linolenic acid by adding flaxseed to the diets enhanced antibody response to NDV and IBDV vaccines without any negative effects on pullet performance...
- Detection of infectious bursal disease virus from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue by immunohistochemistry and real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reactionMohamed M Hamoud
Department of Population Health, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 19:35-42. 2007..Optimal fixation conditions for IHC detection of IBDV were 10% formalin concentration, pH 7.0, and temperature of 4 degrees C, where maximum intensity of immunostaining was observed...
- The use of gamma irradiation for the inactivation of infectious bursal disease virusesD J Jackwood
Food Animal Health Research Program, The Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, 1680 Madison Avenue, Wooster, OH 44691, USA
Avian Dis 51:606-8. 2007..6-2.0 logs after the 10 kGy exposure; however, these viruses remained viable after this treatment. Gamma irradiation is not an effective intervention to reduce the risk of IBDV introduction via processed poultry...
- Pivotal role of ChIFNgamma in the pathogenesis and immunosuppression of infectious bursal diseaseFabienne Rauw
Avian Virology and Immunology Unit, Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Centre, Ukkel Brussels, Belgium
Avian Pathol 36:367-74. 2007..Two weeks after viral inoculation, T lymphocytes infiltrating the bursa of Fabricius had recovered their activation capability...
- A field study on the significance of vaccination against infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) at the optimal time point in broiler flocks with maternally derived IBDV antibodiesHermann Block
Poultry Practice Meyer Block, Uelsen, Germany
Avian Pathol 36:401-9. 2007..The late incidence of bursa lesions after vaccination may be confused with field virus-induced lesions, in which case sequencing may offer a valuable tool for differentiation...
- Differences in the immunopathogenesis of infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) following in ovo and post-hatch vaccination of chickensSilke Rautenschlein
Clinic for Poultry, School of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Bunteweg 17, 30559 Hannover, Germany
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 106:139-50. 2005..In ovo-vaccinated birds recovered significantly faster from lesions of the bursa of Fabricius than post-hatch vaccinated (P<0.05)...
- Genetic resistance of Egyptian chickens to infectious bursal disease and Newcastle diseaseM K Hassan
Animal Health Research Institute, Dokki, Giza 12618, Egypt
Trop Anim Health Prod 36:1-9. 2004..Further studies on the resistance mechanism are warranted...
- Quantitative measures of disease in broiler breeder chicks of different major histocompatibility complex genotypes after challenge with infectious bursal disease virusJ C Hudson
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University, AL 36849 5519, USA
Avian Dis 46:581-92. 2002..Results indicated that there was no difference among the 3 MHC genotypes in incidence of IBD by any of the disease measures...
- Immune response and resistance to infectious bursal disease virus of chicken lines selected for high or low antibody response to Escherichia coliJ Pitcovski
MIGAL, Kiryat Shmona, Rosh-Pinah, Israel
Poult Sci 80:879-84. 2001..later, the chicks were challenged with a virulent strain of the virus and killed after 10 d; the ratio of bursa of Fabricius to 100 g BW was determined for each bird...
- The value of tissue imprint hybridization for rapid detection of infectious bursal disease virus from field outbreaksM Parthiban
Department of Animal Biotechnology, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai 600 007, Tamil Nadu, India
Trop Anim Health Prod 34:391-8. 2002..Tissue imprint hybridization was found to be a more sensitive method than conventional antigen detection assays...
- Characterization of the antigenic, immunogenic, and pathogenic variation of infectious bursal disease virus due to propagation in different host systems (bursa, embryo, and cell culture). II. Antigenicity at the epitope levelIsaac R Rodriguez-Chavez
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Allen Biotechnology Laboratory, University of Delaware, 601 Sincock Lane, Newark, DE 19717, USA
Avian Pathol 31:473-83. 2002Antigenic variation of infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) due to propagation in different host systems (bursa of Fabricius, embryos, or cell cultures) was determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (indirect and antigen capture) ..
- Evaluation of the immune response and detection of infectious bursal disease viruses by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay after in ovo vaccination of commercial broilersMichelle M Corley
102 Milbank Hall, Department of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL 36088, USA
Avian Dis 46:803-9. 2002..The IBDV-Icx RNA was evident in tissues and could induce protection against challenge. This work gives further insight into the mechanism of the IBDV-Icx vaccine...
- Infectious bursal disease virus and proventriculitis in broiler chickensMary J Pantin-Jackwood
Department of Avian Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 3875, USA
Avian Dis 47:681-90. 2003..We conclude that naturally occurring proventriculitis can occur in the absence of IBDV and that the IBDV strains tested do not directly produce proventriculitis or induce increased proventricular apoptosis...
- Pathogenicity of embryo-adapted serotype 2 OH strain of infectious bursal disease virus in chickens and turkeysG A Abdel-Alim
Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, Wooster, OH 44691, USA
Avian Dis 46:1001-6. 2002..SPF chickens and turkey poults as indicated by lack of clinical signs, gross or microscopic lesions in the bursa of Fabricius of inoculated birds...
- Characterization of the antigenic, immunogenic, and pathogenic variation of infectious bursal disease virus due to propagation in different host systems (bursa, embryo, and cell culture). III. PathogenicityIsaac R Rodriguez-Chavez
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Allen Biotechnology Laboratory, University of Delaware, 601 Sincock Lane, Newark, DE 19717, USA
Avian Pathol 31:485-92. 2002..Edgar and STC) infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) strains were observed after propagation in the bursa of Fabricius, embryos, or cell cultures...
- Major histocompatibility complex-linked immune response of young chickens vaccinated with an attenuated live infectious bursal disease virus vaccine followed by an infectionH R Juul-Madsen
Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Tjele
Poult Sci 81:649-56. 2002..Nevertheless, the MHC haplotype-associated protective immunity was further supported by the bursa of Fabricius (bursa) recovery from the disease, as measured by histological scorings of the bursa...
- Differentiation of infectious bursal disease viruses isolated in CroatiaI Lojkic
Department of Poultry Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Avian Dis 47:59-65. 2003..The TaqI restriction at nt position 875 suggests that the IBDV in GUMBOKAL SPF vaccine could belong to the mild strains...
- Reversion of molecularly engineered, partially attenuated, very virulent infectious bursal disease virus during infection of commercial chickensR Raue
Institute for Virology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine University of Leipzig D 04103 Leipzig
Avian Pathol 33:181-9. 2004..the disease, with delayed and milder pathological lesions followed by quick follicular regeneration in the bursa of Fabricius in BD-3tc-inoculated birds, suggested that these amino acid substitutions made BD-3tc partially attenuated...
- Very virulent infectious bursal disease virus in Egypt: epidemiology, isolation and immunogenicity of classic vaccineM K Hassan
Animal Health Research Institute, Dokki, Giza, Egypt
Vet Res Commun 28:347-56. 2004..However, the immune responses generated by 1 x, 10 x or 100 x vaccine doses did not protect against bursal damage following challenge. This finding points to the highly invasive nature of the prevailing vvIBDVs in Egypt...
- Cloning and nucleotide analysis of segment A gene of infectious bursal disease virus detected in KoreaToh Kyung Kim
Gyeongnam Livestock Promotion Institute, Chinju 660 985, South Korea
Virus Genes 26:97-106. 2003..The nucleotide and amino acid sequences of the Chinju strain with pertinent information can be useful for the development of genetically engineered vaccines and diagnostic reagents against vvIBDV...
- Pathogenicity of cell culture-derived and bursa-derived infectious bursal disease viruses in specific-pathogen-free chickensG A Abdel-Alim
Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, The Ohio State University, Wooster 44691, USA
Avian Dis 45:844-52. 2001..Virus replication in the bursa of Fabricius was investigated by virus isolation in SPF chicken embryos, immune electron microscopy (IEM), ..
- Pathogenesis and tissue distribution of a variant strain of infectious bursal disease virus in commercial broiler chickensS Elankumaran
VA MD Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Maryland, College Park 20742 3711, USA
Avian Dis 46:169-76. 2002..transcription-polymerase chain reaction for IBDV-specific RNA extended the window of IBDV detection in the bursa of Fabricius to 6 wk PI...
- Detection of infectious bursal disease vaccine viruses in lymphoid tissues after in ovo vaccination of specific-pathogen-free embryosM M Corley
Department of Poultry Science, Alabama Agricultural Experimental Station, Auburn University, 36849, USA
Avian Dis 45:897-905. 2001..Bursa weight: body weight ratios in IBDV-ICX-vaccinated unchallenged and vaccinated challenged birds were not different (P < 0.05)...
- Workshop On Experimental Models from Bursa of FabriciusPaul Neiman; Fiscal Year: 2002The workshop on Experimental Models from the Bursa of Fabricius will be held October 4-6, 2002, in the modern conference facilities of a leading biomedical research institute, the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, in Seattle, ..
- GENE CONVERSION IN MYC INDUCED BURSAL LYMPHOMASCraig Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2001..defining the mechanisms by which avian retroviruses induce B cell transformation during development in the bursa of Fabricius. When chickens are infected in the perinatal period with avian leukosis (ALV), a retrovirus that does not ..
- ANTIGEN ABSORPTION AND B CELL RESPONSE IN GUTDALE BOCKMAN; Fiscal Year: 1980..In particular, the role of the epithelium and lymphcytes of Peyer's patches, appendix, and bursa of Fabricius in antigen absorption and production of plasma cells will be explored...
- Human immunotherapeutics for Biodefense ApplicationsPhilip Leighton; Fiscal Year: 2004..processes required for antibody responses in the chicken, namely B cell development, proliferation in the bursa of Fabricius and migration to the periphery...
- REGULATION OF CELL DEATH IN CHICKEN BURSAL LYMPHOMARuey Min Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003..in B cell development and neoplastic transformation by an experimental model system based on the chicken bursa of Fabricius. Preliminary data suggest that NR13 is expressed inversely with programmed cell death in normal and ..
- RETROVIRUSES AND CANCERPaul Neiman; Fiscal Year: 1990..Project 7 will attempt to determine the role of two oncogenes, myc and Blym-1, in specific stages of virus induced lymphomagenesis in the bursa of Fabricius in chickens.
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS IN NEOPLASIAPaul Neiman; Fiscal Year: 2008..associated with constitutive Myc oncogene over expression, and resultant lymphomagenesis, in the chicken bursa of Fabricius. We propose to characterize this phenomenon more completely...
- Avian chB6 Alloantigen in ApoptosisPHILLIP FUNK; Fiscal Year: 2003..has certain advantages as a model system of this process since B cells are formed in a single organ, the bursa of Fabricius, and many of them are eliminated during their development...