- Anatomy teaching: ghosts of the past, present and future
John C McLachlan
School for Health, Durham University, Durham, UK
Med Educ 40:243-53. 2006
b>Anatomy teaching has perhaps the longest history of any component of formalised medical education...
- The history of anatomy in Persia
Mohammadali M Shoja
Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
J Anat 210:359-78. 2007
The study of human anatomy can be found throughout the rich history of Persia...
- A reference ontology for biomedical informatics: the Foundational Model of Anatomy
Departments of Biological Structure, and Medical Education and Biomedical Informatics, Structural Informatics Group, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Biomed Inform 36:478-500. 2003
The Foundational Model of Anatomy (FMA), initially developed as an enhancement of the anatomical content of UMLS, is a domain ontology of the concepts and relationships that pertain to the structural organization of the human body...
- Near-peer teaching in anatomy: an approach for deeper learning
Darrell J R Evans
Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Sussex University, Brighton BN1 9PX, United Kingdom
Anat Sci Educ 2:227-33. 2009
..This study describes the design and implementation of a program for fourth year medical students to teach anatomy to first- and second-year medical students and evaluates the perceptions of the near-peer teachers on the ..
- Phenotype ontologies: the bridge between genomics and evolution
Paula M Mabee
Department of Biology, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD 57069, USA
Trends Ecol Evol 22:345-50. 2007
..underpinnings of particular evolutionary changes has been hindered by inadequate databases of evolutionary anatomy and by the lack of a computational approach to identify underlying candidate genes and regulators...
- A gross anatomy ontology for hymenoptera
Matthew J Yoder
Department of Entomology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15991. 2010
..The Hymenoptera Anatomy Ontology (HAO) was developed to surmount this challenge and to aid future communication related to hymenopteran ..
- Team-based learning in anatomy: an efficient, effective, and economical strategy
Nagaswami S Vasan
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Anat Sci Educ 4:333-9. 2011
..We have modified classical TBL to fit our curricular needs and approach. Anatomy lectures were replaced with TBL that required preparation of assigned content specific discussion topics (in the ..
- How much anatomy is enough?
Esther M Bergman
Department of Anatomy Embryology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Anat Sci Educ 1:184-8. 2008
..integration of disciplines and problem based learning, have given rise to concerns about students' knowledge of anatomy. This article originated from several studies investigating the knowledge of anatomy of students at the eight ..
- Teaching anatomy without cadavers
John C McLachlan
Peninsula Medical School, University of Plymouth, C306 Portland Square, Drake Circus, Plymouth PL4 8AA, UK
Med Educ 38:418-24. 2004
b>Anatomy learning is generally seen as essential to medicine, and exposure to cadavers is generally seen as essential to anatomy learning around the world. Few voices dissenting from these propositions can be identified.
- The impact of curricular change on medical students' knowledge of anatomy
P P McKeown
Department of Medicine, Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast, UK
Med Educ 37:954-61. 2003
..resulted in a significant reduction in the time allocated to the teaching of the basic medical sciences, including anatomy. However, it is not clear what impact these changes have had on medical students' knowledge of surface anatomy.
- Use of saliva for assessment of stress and its effect on the immune system prior to gross anatomy practical examinations
S Reid Lester
Department of Periodontics and Preventive Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216 4505, USA
Anat Sci Educ 3:160-7. 2010
The objective of this study was to determine the longitudinal effects of a series of stressful gross anatomy tests on the immune system...
- Process-oriented guided-inquiry learning in an introductory anatomy and physiology course with a diverse student population
Patrick J P Brown
Department of Biology, King College, Bristol, Tennessee 37620, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 34:150-5. 2010
..technique initially developed for college chemistry courses, has been implemented for 2 yr in a freshman-level anatomy and physiology course at a small private college...
- From formalin to Thiel embalming: What changes? One anatomy department's experiences
Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, United Kingdom
Clin Anat 26:564-71. 2013
In 2009, the Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification started Thiel embalming on a small scale to assess (i) the suitability for our current teaching in which long-lasting dissection courses are key, (ii) the potential for new ..
- Medical students' learning of anatomy: memorisation, understanding and visualisation
Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Med Educ 41:7-14. 2007
There is much subjective discussion, but few empirical data that explore how students approach the learning of anatomy.
- A "Second Life" for gross anatomy: applications for multiuser virtual environments in teaching the anatomical sciences
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Anat Sci Educ 4:39-43. 2011
..learning and conceptual understanding, potentially making them applicable for teaching and learning gross anatomy. A short introduction to Second Life as an anatomical educational tool is provided, along with description of ..
- How early can we predict Alzheimer's disease using computational anatomy?
Departement des neurosciences cliniques, Laboratoire de Recherche en Neuroimagerie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Universite de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland Department of Neurology, Faculty of Electronics and Information Technology, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, Poland
Neurobiol Aging 34:2815-26. 2013
Computational anatomy with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is well established as a noninvasive biomarker of Alzheimer's disease (AD); however, there is less certainty about its dependency on the staging of AD...
- Dissection as a modulator of emotional attitudes and reactions of future health professionals
Luis Alfonso Arráez-Aybar
Department of Human Anatomy and Embryology II, Faculty of Medicine, Complutense University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Med Educ 42:563-71. 2008
..There is ongoing discussion within the medical education community about dissection as an educational strategy and as a professional training tool in technical and emotional skills training...
- The role of three-dimensional information in health care and medical education: the implications for anatomy and dissection
S C Marks
Department of Cell Biology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01655, USA
Clin Anat 13:448-52. 2000
..The foundation begins in anatomy where students form and confirm or reform their own 3-D ideas and images of the development and structure of the ..
- Evidence of educational inadequacies in region-specific musculoskeletal medicine
Charles S Day
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:2542-7. 2008
..0 of 5) in five of the seven anatomic regions. Our study provides evidence that region-specific musculoskeletal medicine is a potential learning gap that may need to be addressed in the undergraduate musculoskeletal curriculum...
- Development and implementation of a technical and didactical training program for student tutors in the dissection course
Institute of Anatomy, Department of Experimental Embryology and Tissue Engineering, University of Tuebingen, Elfriede Aulhorn Str 8, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Ann Anat 192:355-60. 2010
student tutors have a long tradition in gross anatomy instruction. However, the full potential of the tutors is generally not tapped, since little attention is paid to their technical and didactical training...
- Web-based interactive 3D visualization as a tool for improved anatomy learning
Center for Medical Image Science and Visualization CMIV, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Anat Sci Educ 2:61-8. 2009
Despite a long tradition, conventional anatomy education based on dissection is declining. This study tested a new virtual reality (VR) technique for anatomy learning based on virtual contrast injection...
- Team learning in a medical gross anatomy course
N S Vasan
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark 07103, USA
Med Educ 39:524. 2005
- Cognition and anatomy in three variants of primary progressive aphasia
Maria Luisa Gorno-Tempini
Department of Neurology, UCSF Memory and Aging Center, University of California San Francisco, 350 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Ann Neurol 55:335-46. 2004
..Cognitive, genetic, and anatomical features indicate that different PPA clinical variants may correspond to different underlying pathological processes...
- Statistical methods in computational anatomy
Department of Electrical Engineering, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63130, USA
Stat Methods Med Res 6:267-99. 1997
..by the Washington/Brown groups for the study of anatomical shape in the emerging new discipline of computational anatomy. Parametric representations of anatomical variation for computational anatomy are reviewed, restricted to the ..
- Anatomical dissection as a teaching method in medical school: a review of the evidence
Institute of Cell Biology and Neurobiology, Centre for Anatomy, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Med Educ 41:15-22. 2007
Discussions about dissection as a teaching method in gross anatomy are characterised by a lack of objective evidence.
- Do we need dissection in an integrated problem-based learning medical course? Perceptions of first- and second-year students
Samy A Azer
Faculty Education Unit, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Surg Radiol Anat 29:173-80. 2007
..of Melbourne has necessitated a reduction in the number of lectures and limited the use of dissection in teaching anatomy. In the new curriculum, students learn the anatomy of different body systems using PBL tutorials, practical ..
- Functional anatomy: a taxonomic proposal
Institute for Formal Ontology and Medical Information Science, University of Saarland, Saarbrucken, Postfach 151150, D 66041, Germany
Acta Biotheor 53:153-66. 2005
..We propose formulae for constructing such a system and describe some of its benefits. The arguments are general enough to be of interest to all the life sciences...
- Implementing and integrating computer-based activities into a problem-based gross anatomy curriculum
M G Levine
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 11203 2098, USA
Clin Anat 12:191-8. 1999
A problem-based learning curriculum in gross anatomy was begun for a limited number of students to address unsuccessful methodology inherent in a traditional instructional approach...
- The human cadaver in the age of biomedical informatics
M Ashraf Aziz
Department of Anatomy, Howard University, College of Medicine, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Anat Rec 269:20-32. 2002
..Actual dissection is equally necessary for acquisition of scientific skills and for a communicative, moral, ethical, and humanistic approach to patient care. Anat Rec (New Anat) 269:20-32, 2002...
- Attitudes of medical and dental students to dissection
Department of Biomedical Science, Division of Anatomy, Guy s, King s, and St Thomas s School of Biomedical Sciences, London, United Kingdom
Clin Anat 16:165-72. 2003
Guy's, King's, and St. Thomas's School of Medicine encourages students to learn anatomy from human dissection. Today, there is a worldwide move of anatomy-based teaching away from dissection to prosection...
- Effects of an alternate dissection schedule on gross anatomy laboratory practical performance
David L McWhorter
Department of Anatomy, University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri 64106, USA
Clin Anat 17:144-8. 2004
..reform that is taking place in many medical schools throughout the world has resulted in less time for gross anatomy laboratory instruction. In response, anatomists are using a variety of approaches (e.g...
- Perceptions of dissection by students in one medical school: beyond learning about anatomy. A qualitative study
Heidi K Lempp
Academic Department of Rheumatology, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College, London, UK
Med Educ 39:318-25. 2005
- Medical gross anatomy as a predictor of performance on the USMLE Step 1
Cathryn A Peterson
Department of Physical Therapy, University of the Pacific, Stockton, California, USA
Anat Rec B New Anat 283:5-8. 2005
..of California at Davis School of Medicine between 1999 and 2001 to determine if performance in medical gross anatomy is a similar, if not better, predictor of performance on the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) ..
- Survey of clinicians' attitudes to the anatomical teaching and knowledge of medical students
S W Waterston
School of Medical Sciences Anatomy, College of Life Science and Medicine, University of Aberdeen, Marischal College, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Clin Anat 18:380-4. 2005
There is considerable and ongoing debate surrounding the teaching of anatomy to medical students, and the anatomical knowledge of those medical students once they graduate...
- Anatomy of the clitoris
Helen E O'Connell
Department of Urology, NeuroUrology and Continence Unit, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
J Urol 174:1189-95. 2005
We present a comprehensive account of clitoral anatomy, including its component structures, neurovascular supply, relationship to adjacent structures (the urethra, vagina and vestibular glands, and connective tissue supports), histology ..
- Interactive and dynamic visualizations in teaching and learning of anatomy: a cognitive load perspective
Mohammed K Khalil
Learning Systems Institute, Florida State University, 2000 Levy Avenue, Suite 320, Tallahassee, FL 32310, USA
Anat Rec B New Anat 286:8-14. 2005
..that will add to our knowledge of designing and developing dynamic visualizations for teaching and learning anatomy. The impact of improved teaching and learning of anatomical sciences and the development of a set of guiding ..
- Using gross anatomy to teach and assess professionalism in the first year of medical school
William J Swartz
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Clin Anat 19:437-41. 2006
..In the Gross Anatomy laboratory there are opportunities for students to display such aspects of professionalism as responsibility/..
- Integrating professionalism in early medical education: the theory and application of reflective practice in the anatomy curriculum
Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Durban Institute of Technology, Durban, South Africa
Clin Anat 19:456-60. 2006
..year of the medical curriculum and, therefore, traditionally pure content delivery courses such as first year anatomy course are being utilized now in order to explore issues related to critical thinking and professionalism...
- The role of gross anatomy in promoting professionalism: a neglected opportunity!
Department of Pathology and Human Anatomy, School of Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda 92350, and Medical Department, Avenal Community Health Center, California, USA
Clin Anat 19:461-7. 2006
..Gross Anatomy, with cadaver laboratory dissection, is in a unique position to preside over a rich number of activities where ..
- Should we continue teaching anatomy by dissection when ...?
Lawrence J Rizzolo
Section of Anatomy, Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Anat Rec B New Anat 289:215-8. 2006
..Following further consultation with colleagues who have experimented with different models of anatomy instruction, we discuss three themes in support of dissection...
- In search of clinical truths: equine and comparative studies of anatomy
Department of Veterinary Anatomy, Veterinary School, University of Murcia, Murcia 30100, Spain
Equine Vet J 39:263-8. 2007
..The aim of the review is to stimulate further correlations of anatomical structure and equine medical and surgical procedures, thereby advancing knowledge and understanding in practice and teaching...
- Enhancing humanism through gross anatomy: a pre-course intervention
Jerry B Vannatta
Med Educ 41:1108. 2007
- Lessons from the dead: the experiences of undergraduates working with cadavers
Brent Dean Robbins
Point Park University, Pittsburgh, USA
Omega (Westport) 58:177-92. 2008
Dissection of a human cadaver is a time-honored tradition for teaching anatomy in medical education...
- Quantitative and qualitative changes in teaching histology by means of virtual microscopy in an introductory course in human anatomy
Polly R Husmann
Medical Sciences Program, Indiana University School of Medicine, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Anat Sci Educ 2:218-26. 2009
..determine the effects of using virtual microscopy in place of optical microscopes in a large undergraduate human anatomy course...
- Measuring change in professionalism attitudes during the gross anatomy course
William G Pearson
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Anat Sci Educ 3:12-6. 2010
By design or default, anatomy educators are often responsible for introducing students to medical professionalism...
- What impact does anatomy education have on clinical practice?
Claire France Smith
Centre for Learning Anatomical Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
Clin Anat 24:113-9. 2011
There is continuing debate regarding doctors' knowledge of anatomy as an appropriate preparation for professional practice. This exploratory case study examined alumni's experiences of learning anatomy...
- Guidelines for standard photography in gross and clinical anatomy
Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Zonguldak, Turkey
Anat Sci Educ 4:348-56. 2011
Photography has a widespread usage in medicine and anatomy. In this review, authors focused on the usage of photography in gross and clinical anatomy...
- Development of a supported self-directed learning approach for anatomy education
Gordon S Findlater
School of Biomedical Sciences Anatomy, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Anat Sci Educ 5:114-21. 2012
..knowledge and understanding to medical students with limited time and resources remains a major challenge for anatomy educators...
- Computer visualizations: factors that influence spatial anatomy comprehension
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Corps for Research of Instructional and Perceptual Technologies CRIPT, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Anat Sci Educ 5:98-108. 2012
Computer visualizations are increasingly common in education across a range of subject disciplines, including anatomy. Despite optimism about their educational potential, students sometime have difficulty learning from these ..
- Meeting the family: promoting humanism in gross anatomy
Sheila M Crow
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oklahoma Tulsa School of Community Medicine, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74135, USA
Teach Learn Med 24:49-54. 2012
..Human dissection commonly occurs early in the undergraduate medical school curriculum, thus presenting an immediate opportunity for educators to teach and encourage humanistic qualities of respect, empathy, and compassion...
- YouTube: An emerging tool in anatomy education
Akram Abood Jaffar
Department of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Anat Sci Educ 5:158-64. 2012
The use of online social networks in medical education can remodel and enhance anatomy teaching and learning; one such network is the video-sharing site YouTube...
- The weak relationship between anatomy competence and clinical skills in junior medical students
Department of Internal Medicine, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Anat Sci Educ 5:217-24. 2012
In modern curricula, the early integration of anatomy and clinical skills education at undergraduate level is seen as important...
- Current and future instructional methods and influencing factors in anatomy instruction in physical therapy and medical schools in the U.S
Donald L Gabard
Physical Therapy Department, Chapman University, Orange, CA, USA
J Allied Health 41:53-62. 2012
The purpose of this descriptive study was to investigate current and future instructional practices and the most important factors influencing those practices in anatomy laboratories within medical schools and physical therapy schools.
- Using real-time ultrasound to teach living anatomy: an alternative model for large classes
Mark D Stringer
Department of Anatomy, Otago School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, PO Box 913, Dunedin, New Zealand
N Z Med J 125:37-45. 2012
..Several studies have reported using ultrasound imaging to supplement teaching of clinical anatomy to medical students but most have attempted to teach basic ultrasound skills in addition to normal sonographic ..
- Anatomy teaching with portable ultrasound to medical students
School of Medicine and Health, The Holliday Building, Durham University Queen s Campus, University Boulevard, Stockton on Tees, TS17 6BH, UK
BMC Med Educ 12:99. 2012
Medical students as future clinicians will apply their anatomy knowledge in medical imaging. There are various radiological resources available for the medical students to learn anatomy and contextualise it to the clinical setting...
- New path for teaching anatomy: living anatomy and medical imaging vs. dissection
John C McLachlan
Peninsula Medical School, United Kingdom
Anat Rec B New Anat 281:4-5. 2004
- Assessing professionalism in early medical education: experience with peer evaluation and self-evaluation in the gross anatomy course
R E Bryan
Department of Anatomy, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Acad Med Singapore 34:486-91. 2005
..Courses such as Gross Anatomy that, in the past, offered "pure content," are now being used to teach and evaluate professionalism...
- Anatomy 1999-2000: the curriculum, who teaches it and how?
D J A Heylings
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Med Educ 36:702-10. 2002
..To establish in particular whether a consensus has emerged on: (a) the duration and format of teaching, and (b) the impact on staffing and on the four main anatomical disciplines of gross anatomy, histology, embryology and neuroanatomy.
- Problem-based learning: is anatomy a casualty?
Stepping Hill Hospital
Surgeon 3:84-7. 2005
The teaching of medical anatomy is changing. Medical schools worldwide are moving away from dissection and lectures to a more integrated course, where basic science and clinical skills are taught simultaneously...
- Relationship between spatial abilities, mental rotation and functional anatomy learning
Centre de Recherche et d Innovation sur le Sport, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon I, 27 29 Boulevard du 11 Novembre 1918, 69622, Villeurbanne Cedex, France
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 12:491-507. 2007
This study investigated the relationship between visuo-spatial representation, mental rotation (MR) and functional anatomy examination results...
- Postmortem computed tomography of cadavers embalmed for use in teaching gross anatomy
Felix S Chew
Department of Radiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, NC, USA
J Comput Assist Tomogr 30:949-54. 2006
..more fully into the first year of medical school, each student was provided with a computed tomographic (CT) scan of his or her gross anatomy cadaver before dissection. We describe the imaging findings of these embalmed cadavers.
- How do medical teachers address the problem of transfer?
Klara Bolander Laksov
Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, 177 00, Sweden
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 13:345-60. 2008
..study was to explore, whether transfer of knowledge was identified as a problem by the teaching staff of anatomy and surgery, and if so, what strategies they used to overcome it...
- Immersive virtual anatomy course using a cluster of volume visualization machines and passive stereo
Jonathan C Silverstein
Department of Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago IL, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 125:439-44. 2007
For more than a decade, various approaches have been taken to teach anatomy using immersive virtual reality...
- Effectiveness of human anatomy education for pharmacy students via the Internet
Aimee L Limpach
Pharmacy Sciences, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
Am J Pharm Educ 72:145. 2008
To evaluate the overall effectiveness of a human anatomy course taught to distance-based and campus-based pharmacy students.
- The place of anatomy in medical education: AMEE Guide no 41
Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Republic of South Africa
Med Teach 31:373-86. 2009
..combined work by three authors from different countries, provides perspectives into the history of teaching gross anatomy, briefly, from the earliest of times, through to a detailed examination of curricula in both traditional didactic ..
- Creation of virtual patients from CT images of cadavers to enhance integration of clinical and basic science student learning in anatomy
Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Med Teach 31:749-51. 2009
- Teaching the anatomy of oncology: evaluating the impact of a dedicated oncoanatomy course
Junzo P Chino
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 79:853-9. 2011
Anatomic considerations are often critical in multidisciplinary cancer care. We developed an anatomy-focused educational program for radiation oncology residents integrating cadaver dissection into the didactic review of diagnostic, ..
- Relevance of human anatomy in daily clinical practice
Luis Alfonso Arráez-Aybar
Anatomy and Embryology Department 2, Medical School, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
Ann Anat 192:341-8. 2010
the aim of this study has been to evaluate the relevance of gross human anatomy in daily clinical practice and to compare it to that of other basic sciences (biochemistry, bioethics, cytohistology, microbiology, pharmacology, physiology, ..
- Why don't they know enough about anatomy? A narrative review
E M Bergman
Department of Anatomy Embryology, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Med Teach 33:403-9. 2011
..is growing, despite a lack of empirical evidence that today's medical graduates actually know less about anatomy than medical students in the past...
- Introduction of real patients into problem-based learning in preclinical first-year anatomy curriculum
Institute of Biomedicine Anatomy, University of Helsinki, Finland
Med Teach 33:854-6. 2011
..Early patient contacts are considered important in medical education...
- Promoting metacognition in first year anatomy laboratories using plasticine modeling and drawing activities: a pilot study of the "blank page" technique
Helen L Naug
School of Medical Science, Faculty of Health, Griffith University, Gold Coast Campus, Queensland, Australia
Anat Sci Educ 4:231-4. 2011
Many first year students of anatomy and physiology courses demonstrate an inability to self-regulate their learning...
- Medical students' attitudes toward the anatomy dissection room in relation to personality
Development, Imaging, and Anatomy Research Unit URDIA, E A 4465, University of Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, School of Medicine, Paris, France
Anat Sci Educ 4:305-10. 2011
..In this article, we focus on the experience of students in the anatomy dissecting room...
- Optical versus virtual: teaching assistant perceptions of the use of virtual microscopy in an undergraduate human anatomy course
Medical Sciences Program, Indiana University School of Medicine, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Anat Sci Educ 5:10-9. 2012
..This study focuses on instructor evaluation of the introduction of virtual microscopy into an undergraduate anatomy class...
- Perceptions of a mobile technology on learning strategies in the anatomy laboratory
Chandler H Mayfield
Office of Medical Education, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA 94143 0410, USA
Anat Sci Educ 6:81-9. 2013
..This study examined the effect of using an iPad-based multimedia dissection manual during anatomy laboratory instruction on learner's perception of anatomy dissection activities and use of time...
- Crosswords as a learning tool in Anatomy & Physiology teaching
Med Teach 29:513. 2007
- Endoscopic anatomy of the pterygopalatine fossa
Seth J Isaacs
Department of Otolaryngology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Am J Rhinol 21:644-7. 2007
..This region can be entered endoscopically, but endoscopic landmarks to localize the neurovascular structures in the pterygopalatine fossa have not yet been reported...
- Effects of interactive instructional techniques in a web-based peripheral nervous system component for human anatomy
Edwin B Allen
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, School of Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 9128, USA
Med Teach 30:40-7. 2008
This study investigated the effects of interactive instructional techniques in a web-based peripheral nervous system (PNS) component of a first year medical school human anatomy course.
- Body painting as a tool in clinical anatomy teaching
Paul G McMenamin
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Western Australia, Crawley Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Anat Sci Educ 1:139-44. 2008
The teaching of human anatomy has had to respond to significant changes in medical curricula, and it behooves anatomists to devise alternative strategies to effectively facilitate learning of the discipline by medical students in an ..
- [Undergraduate curricular training in musculoskeletal ultrasound: the impact of preexisting anatomic knowledge]
Klinik für Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie, Schwerpunkt Unfallchirurgie, RWTH Aachen
Z Orthop Unfall 148:685-90. 2010
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the impact of students preexisting anatomic proficiency to address the fundamental problems related to musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSUS) training by assessing the peer-assisted learning (PAL) system...
- Information extraction from full text scientific articles: where are the keywords?
Parantu K Shah
Biocomputing, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 4:20. 2003
..Several questions arise as to whether the effort of scanning full text articles is worthy, or whether the information that can be extracted from the different sections of an article can be relevant...
- Anatomy in a modern medical curriculum
B W Turney
Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 89:104-7. 2007
b>Anatomy in undergraduate education has been in decline for many years. Some suggest that it has fallen below a safe level...
- The dissection course - necessary and indispensable for teaching anatomy to medical students
Horst Werner Korf
Dr Senckenbergische Anatomie, Institute for Anatomy II, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Ann Anat 190:16-22. 2008
b>Anatomy is a major basic subject in medicine and related biomedical sciences...
- Privileged learning
Norma E Wagoner
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, 13070 East 19th Avenue, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Anat Sci Educ 2:47-8. 2009
..Poems or stories from medical students are often moving and heartfelt, and warrant being shared...
- Daily mini quizzes as means for improving student performance in anatomy course
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, University of Split School of Medicine, Soltanska 2, 21000 Split, Croatia
Croat Med J 50:55-60. 2009
To evaluate daily-written 10-question quizzes in a medical anatomy course as a way to integrate assessment into the course and to evaluate their effect on the course success.
- Student perceptions of an upper-level, undergraduate human anatomy laboratory course without cadavers
Shirley J Wright
Department of Biology, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio
Anat Sci Educ 5:146-57. 2012
Several programs in health professional education require or are considering requiring upper-level human anatomy as prerequisite for their applicants...
- Teaching cardiovascular anatomy to medical students by using a handheld ultrasound device
Christopher M Wittich
JAMA 288:1062-3. 2002
- The relationships between learning outcomes and methods of teaching anatomy as perceived by professional anatomists
K M Patel
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Clin Anat 21:182-9. 2008
Changes in the teaching of gross anatomy have often involved decreasing student contact time alongside the use of new methods for teaching...
- Effectiveness of laparoscopic cadaveric dissection in enhancing resident comprehension of pelvic anatomy
G W Cundiff
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Am Coll Surg 192:492-7. 2001
..and this deficit is even more dramatic in residents who start their training with a decreased understanding of anatomy. We questioned whether anatomy could be adequately retaught to new residents as surgical anatomy...
- Integration of ultrasound in the education programme in anatomy
Eli T Tshibwabwa
Department of Radiology, McMaster University Medical Center, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 39:1148. 2005
- Comparison of traditional methods with 3D computer models in the instruction of hepatobiliary anatomy
Alexander W Keedy
Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Anat Sci Educ 4:84-91. 2011
..study was designed to determine whether an interactive three-dimensional presentation depicting liver and biliary anatomy is more effective for teaching medical students than a traditional textbook format presentation of the same ..
- ApiNATOMY: a novel toolkit for visualizing multiscale anatomy schematics with phenotype-related information
Bernard de Bono
European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Hum Mutat 33:837-48. 2012
..visualization of such resources in their anatomical context, we developed an automated methodology that produces anatomy schematics in a consistent manner,and provides for the overlay of anatomy-related resource information onto the ..
- Is there any real virtue of virtual reality?: the minor role of multiple orientations in learning anatomy from computers
Amit X Garg
McMaster U niversity, 1280 Main Street, W Hamilton ON L8K 4T1, Canada
Acad Med 77:S97-9. 2002
- Modes of information delivery in radiologic anatomy education: Impact on student performance
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Maximiliansplatz 1, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Acad Radiol 14:93-9. 2007
- Electronic resources for surgical anatomy
Ah Rin Anna Choi
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, Otago School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, New Zealand
ANZ J Surg 78:1082-91. 2008
Numerous electronic resources are now available to assist students studying anatomy in medicine, dentistry and allied health sciences...
- Teaching surgery, radiology and anatomy together: the mix enhances motivation and comprehension
Institute of Radiology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Surg Radiol Anat 32:791-5. 2010
..For example, surgery and radiology are often taught much later than anatomy. The aim of this study was to establish and to evaluate an interdisciplinary course combining these closely ..
- STUDENTJAMA. Unclaimed bodies at the anatomy table
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
JAMA 291:122. 2004
- Virtual anatomy: an anatomist's playground
Victor M Spitzer
Center for Human Simulation, University of Colorado, Aurora, Colorado 80045 0508, USA
Clin Anat 19:192-203. 2006
Virtual anatomy presents significant advantages over the reality of a cadaver as it can provide different views and perspectives, portability, longevity, standardization, diversity and most importantly the opportunity to learn the ..
- Can virtual reality improve anatomy education? A randomised controlled study of a computer-generated three-dimensional anatomical ear model
Daren T Nicholson
Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
Med Educ 40:1081-7. 2006
The use of computer-generated 3-dimensional (3-D) anatomical models to teach anatomy has proliferated. However, there is little evidence that these models are educationally effective...
- Building the body: active learning laboratories that emphasize practical aspects of anatomy and integration with radiology
Ann C Zumwalt
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Boston University School of Medicine, 72 East Concord Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Anat Sci Educ 3:134-40. 2010
Active learning exercises were developed to allow advanced medical students to revisit and review anatomy in a clinically meaningful context...
- How can we deal with mental distress in the dissection room?-An evaluation of the need for psychological support
Ulm University, Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Albert Einstein Allee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Ann Anat 192:366-72. 2010
..Exemplarily the Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology at Ulm University suggests several options like a step by step approach for optimization...
- Anatomical planes: are we teaching accurate surface anatomy?
S Ali Mirjalili
Department of Anatomy, Otago School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Clin Anat 25:819-26. 2012
Anatomical planes used in clinical practice and teaching anatomy are largely derived from cadaver studies. Numerous inconsistencies in clinically important surface markings exist between and within anatomical reference texts...