Genomes and Genes
Summary: The properties, processes, and behavior of biological systems under the action of mechanical forces.
- Kernkamp W, Van de Velde S, Tsai T, van Arkel E, Asnis P, Nelissen R, et al. An in Vivo Simulation of Isometry of the Anterolateral Aspect of the Healthy Knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:1111-1118 pubmed publisher..The present data could be used both in biomechanical studies and in clinical studies as guidelines for planning LER surgical procedures. ..
- Buckley T, Oldham J, Munkasy B, Evans K. Decreased Anticipatory Postural Adjustments During Gait Initiation Acutely Postconcussion. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017;98:1962-1968 pubmed publisher..Finally, the APA phase is linked to the supplementary motor area, which suggests a supraspinal contribution to postconcussion impaired postural control. ..
- Fan L, Yao J, Yang C, Tang D, Xu D. Infarcted Left Ventricles Have Stiffer Material Properties and Lower Stiffness Variation: Three-Dimensional Echo-Based Modeling to Quantify In Vivo Ventricle Material Properties. J Biomech Eng. 2015;137:081005 pubmed publisher..Quantitative differences in LV volume, curvatures, stress, strain, and wall thickness between the two groups were provided. ..
- Ali A, Harris M, Shalhoub S, Maletsky L, Rullkoetter P, Shelburne K. Combined measurement and modeling of specimen-specific knee mechanics for healthy and ACL-deficient conditions. J Biomech. 2017;57:117-124 pubmed publisher..ACL resections demonstrated contrasting joint mechanics in the two specimens with altered knee motion shown in one specimen (up to 5mm anterior tibial translation) while increased TF joint loading was shown in the other (up to 400N). ..
- Iwasaki L, Gonzalez Y, Liu Y, Liu H, Markova M, Gallo L, et al. Mechanobehavioral Scores in Women with and without TMJ Disc Displacement. J Dent Res. 2017;96:895-901 pubmed publisher..Daytime MBS were significantly larger (all P < 0.04) by up to 8.5-fold in +DD compared to -DD subjects. Significantly larger ED, DF, and MBS were shown in women with compared to women without bilateral TMJ DD. ..
- Hallbeck M, Lowndes B, McCrory B, Morrow M, Kaufman K, Lagrange C. Kinematic and ergonomic assessment of laparoendoscopic single-site surgical instruments during simulator training tasks. Appl Ergon. 2017;62:118-130 pubmed publisher..LESS' cosmetic benefits continue to impact laparoscopic surgery and by enabling performance through improved instruments, ergonomic improvement for LESS can reduce negative impact on surgeon well-being and patient safety. ..
- Rodriguez M, Graham B, Pabon L, Han S, Murry C, Sniadecki N. Measuring the contractile forces of human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes with arrays of microposts. J Biomech Eng. 2014;136:051005 pubmed publisher..This system should facilitate studies of hiPSC-CM maturation, disease modeling, and drug screens as well as fundamental studies of human cardiac contraction. ..
- Martinez M, Villagra F, Loayza F, Vidorreta M, Arrondo G, Luis E, et al. MRI-compatible device for examining brain activation related to stepping. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2014;33:1044-53 pubmed publisher..Brain activations related to individual adjustments during motor performance were identified in a right lateralized network including striatal, extrastriatal, and fronto-parietal areas. ..
- van Hoeve S, Leenstra B, Willems P, Poeze M, Meijer K. The effect of age and speed on foot and ankle kinematics assessed using a 4-segment foot model. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7907 pubmed publisher..Our analysis found that speed significantly influenced the kinematic outcome parameters. This was more pronounced in the ankle joint. In contrast, no significant differences were found between younger and older healthy subjects. ..
- Bontempi M. A proposal to evaluate the fibers' break probability in ligaments and tendons. J Biomech. 2017;57:103-109 pubmed publisher..However, the results also showed that the method is able to correctly estimate the elongation break distribution of the fibers of ligaments and tendons. ..
- Levin M, Magdalon E, Michaelsen S, Quevedo A. Quality of Grasping and the Role of Haptics in a 3-D Immersive Virtual Reality Environment in Individuals With Stroke. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2015;23:1047-55 pubmed publisher..Comparable kinematics between environments and conditions is encouraging for the incorporation of high quality VEs in rehabilitation programs aimed at improving upper limb recovery. ..
- List R, Postolka B, Schütz P, Hitz M, Schwilch P, Gerber H, et al. A moving fluoroscope to capture tibiofemoral kinematics during complete cycles of free level and downhill walking as well as stair descent. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185952 pubmed publisher..Since control of the system is based on real-time feedback of a wire sensor, the system is not dependent on repeatable gait patterns, but is rather able to capture pathological motion patterns with low inter-trial repeatability...
- Li Y, Shen Z, Huang M, Wang X. Stepwise resection of the posterior ligamentous complex for stability of a thoracolumbar compression fracture: An in vitro biomechanical investigation. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7873 pubmed publisher..With rupture of SSL or LF, the stability of the segment decreased significantly compared with the intact and fracture model, particularly in FE motion, the function of the PLC was considered to be incompetent. ..
- Gavagan C, Sayers M. A biomechanical analysis of the roundhouse kicking technique of expert practitioners: A comparison between the martial arts disciplines of Muay Thai, Karate, and Taekwondo. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182645 pubmed publisher..Effective roundhouse kicking performance was characterized by rapid pelvic axial rotation, hip abduction, hip flexion and knee extension velocities, combined with rapid movements of the COM towards the target. ..
- Thomas C, Comfort P, Dos Santos T, Jones P. Determining Bilateral Strength Imbalances in Youth Basketball Athletes. Int J Sports Med. 2017;38:683-690 pubmed publisher..Future research should examine the effect of different asymmetry thresholds on percentage agreements to diagnose MSA and determine its relationship to athletic performance. ..
- Dembia C, Silder A, Uchida T, Hicks J, Delp S. Simulating ideal assistive devices to reduce the metabolic cost of walking with heavy loads. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180320 pubmed publisher..The simulations are freely available online, allowing others to reproduce and extend our work. ..
- Valbon B, Ambrosio R, Fontes B, Luz A, Roberts C, Alves M. Ocular biomechanical metrics by CorVis ST in healthy Brazilian patients. J Refract Surg. 2014;30:468-73 pubmed publisher..Eight of 11 ocular biomechanical metrics given by the CorVis ST were associated with central corneal thickness, but the influence of central corneal thickness on these measurements was low. ..
- Ding Z, Nolte D, Kit Tsang C, Cleather D, Kedgley A, Bull A. In Vivo Knee Contact Force Prediction Using Patient-Specific Musculoskeletal Geometry in a Segment-Based Computational Model. J Biomech Eng. 2016;138:021018 pubmed publisher..81 and RMSEs of 0.46-1.01 times BW for squatting and 0.70-0.99 times BW for sit-to-stand tasks. This is comparable to the best validations in the literature using alternative models. ..
- Zheng K, Han T, Li M, Han Y, Xu Y, Shah R, et al. Corneal densitometry changes in a patient with interface fluid syndrome after small incision lenticule extraction. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:34 pubmed publisher..Both OCT and corneal densitometry can serve as auxiliary means to evaluate the clinical course of IFS, and appropriate IOP management is an effective approach. ..
- Phan H, Kang T, Park H. Design and stable flight of a 21?g insect-like tailless flapping wing micro air vehicle with angular rates feedback control. Bioinspir Biomim. 2017;12:036006 pubmed publisher..Several flight tests demonstrated that the tailless KUBeetle could successfully perform a vertical climb, then hover and loiter within a 0.3 m ground radius with small variations in pitch and roll body angles. ..
- . A multi-centre randomized controlled trial comparing arthroscopic osteochondroplasty and lavage with arthroscopic lavage alone on patient important outcomes and quality of life in the treatment of young adult (18-50) femoroacetabular impingement. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015;16:64 pubmed publisher..Few orthopaedic surgical trials have similar potential to shift the paradigm of care dramatically towards (or away) from surgical bony and soft tissue interventions. The FIRST trial is registered with clinicaltrials.gov (NCT01623843). ..
- Hraski M, Hraski Ž, Mrakovi S, Horvat V. Relation between Anthropometric Characteristics and Kinematic Parameters which Influence Standing Long Jump Efficiency in Boys and Adolescents. Coll Antropol. 2015;39 Suppl 1:47-55 pubmed
- Shelton T, Nedopil A, Howell S, Hull M. Do varus or valgus outliers have higher forces in the medial or lateral compartments than those which are in-range after a kinematically aligned total knee arthroplasty? limb and joint line alignment after kinematically aligned total knee arthroplast. Bone Joint J. 2017;99-B:1319-1328 pubmed publisher
- Bao F, Deng M, Zheng X, Li L, Zhao Y, Cao S, et al. Effects of diabetes mellitus on biomechanical properties of the rabbit cornea. Exp Eye Res. 2017;161:82-88 pubmed publisher..The study also found significant IOP increases with higher blood glucose level even after controlling the effects of both corneal thickness and tangent modulus. ..
- Gray H, Guan S, Pandy M. Accuracy of mobile biplane X-ray imaging in measuring 6-degree-of-freedom patellofemoral kinematics during overground gait. J Biomech. 2017;57:152-156 pubmed publisher..The lower accuracy in measuring patellofemoral rotational motion is likely explained by the symmetric nature of the patellar geometry and the smaller size of the patella compared to the tibia. ..
- Cunnane E, Mulvihill J, Barrett H, Walsh M. Simulation of human atherosclerotic femoral plaque tissue: the influence of plaque material model on numerical results. Biomed Eng Online. 2015;14 Suppl 1:S7 pubmed publisher..Due to these large discrepancies, future studies should seek to employ vessel-appropriate material models to simulate the response of diseased femoral tissue in order to obtain the most accurate numerical results. ..
- Marsland F, Mackintosh C, Holmberg H, Anson J, Waddington G, Lyons K, et al. Full course macro-kinematic analysis of a 10 km classical cross-country skiing competition. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182262 pubmed publisher..Clearly, valuable insights into cross-country skiing performance can be gained through continuous macro-kinematic monitoring during competition. ..
- Hennessy R, Go J, Hennessy R, Tefft B, Jana S, Stoyles N, et al. Recellularization of a novel off-the-shelf valve following xenogenic implantation into the right ventricular outflow tract. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181614 pubmed publisher..The implantation resulted in recellularization of the valve with sufficient hemodynamic function for the 5-month study. Thus, the study supports a potential role for use of a TEHV for the treatment of valve disease in humans. ..
- Malliaras P, Cook J, Purdam C, Rio E. Patellar Tendinopathy: Clinical Diagnosis, Load Management, and Advice for Challenging Case Presentations. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2015;45:887-98 pubmed publisher..J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2015;45(11):887-898. Epub 21 Sep 2015. doi:10.2519/jospt.2015.5987. ..
- Herum K, Choppe J, Kumar A, Engler A, McCulloch A. Mechanical regulation of cardiac fibroblast profibrotic phenotypes. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:1871-1882 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that myocyte stretch, fibroblast stretch, and matrix stiffening following MI may separately regulate different profibrotic traits of activated CFBs. ..
- Liodaki E, Wendlandt R, Waizner K, Schopp B, Mailander P, Stang F. A biomechanical analysis of plate fixation using unicortical and bicortical screws in transverse metacarpal fracture models subjected to 4-point bending and dynamical bending test. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6926 pubmed publisher..Consequently, a unicortical plating method may provide adequate strength and stability to metacarpal fractures based on the results of the cyclical loading representative of in vivo loading. ..
- Mailleux L, Jaspers E, Ortibus E, Simon Martinez C, Desloovere K, Molenaers G, et al. Clinical assessment and three-dimensional movement analysis: An integrated approach for upper limb evaluation in children with unilateral cerebral palsy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180196 pubmed publisher..Integrating both methods seems clinically meaningful to obtain a comprehensive representation of all aspects of a child's UL functioning. ..
- Benamú M, Lacava M, Garcia L, Santana M, Fang J, Wang X, et al. Nanostructural and mechanical property changes to spider silk as a consequence of insecticide exposure. Chemosphere. 2017;181:241-249 pubmed publisher..While the insecticide dose we subjected P. audax to was evidently sub-lethal, the changes in silk physicochemical properties and the impairment to web building will indelibly affect their ability to catch prey. ..
- Janousek J, Kovanda J, Ložek M, Tomek V, Vojtovic P, Gebauer R, et al. Pulmonary Right Ventricular Resynchronization in Congenital Heart Disease: Acute Improvement in Right Ventricular Mechanics and Contraction Efficiency. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..001). In patients with congenital heart disease and right bundle branch block, RV cardiac resynchronization therapy carried multiple positive effects on RV mechanics, synchrony, and contraction efficiency. ..
- Borghi A, Schievano S, Rodriguez Florez N, McNicholas R, Rodgers W, Ponniah A, et al. Assessment of spring cranioplasty biomechanics in sagittal craniosynostosis patients. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2017;20:400-409 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS Results in this study provide biomechanical insights into spring-assisted cranioplasty and could help to improve spring design and follow-up strategy in the future. ..
- Butler V, Branicky R, Yemini E, Liewald J, Gottschalk A, Kerr R, et al. A consistent muscle activation strategy underlies crawling and swimming in Caenorhabditis elegans. J R Soc Interface. 2015;12:20140963 pubmed..This suggests that proprioception can enable the worm to swim effectively while working within the limitations of muscle biomechanics and neural control. ..
- Liu Y, Xu J, Xu L, Wu T, Sun Y, Lee Y, et al. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator mediates tenogenic differentiation of tendon-derived stem cells and tendon repair: accelerating tendon injury healing by intervening in its downstream signaling. FASEB J. 2017;31:3800-3815 pubmed publisher..Zhang, J., Li, G. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator mediates tenogenic differentiation of tendon-derived stem cells and tendon repair: accelerating tendon injury healing by intervening in its downstream signaling. ..
- Hosseini H, Horak M, Zysset P, Jirásek M. An over-nonlocal implicit gradient-enhanced damage-plastic model for trabecular bone under large compressive strains. Int j numer method biomed eng. 2015;31: pubmed publisher..The current development enables the analysis of trabecular bone compaction as in osteoporotic fractures and implant migration, where large deformation of bone plays a key role. ..
- Nagahara R, Mizutani M, Matsuo A, Kanehisa H, Fukunaga T. Association of Step Width with Accelerated Sprinting Performance and Ground Reaction Force. Int J Sports Med. 2017;38:534-540 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the wider SW was associated with larger medial impulse and smaller lateral impulse, suggesting that a wide SW contributes to the production of greater mediolateral body velocity during accelerated sprinting. ..
- Boudreau S, Kamavuako E, Rathleff M. Distribution and symmetrical patellofemoral pain patterns as revealed by high-resolution 3D body mapping: a cross-sectional study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:160 pubmed publisher..This study highlights a gap in knowledge of PFP symptom presentation, reveals what may be a natural progression of symptoms, and provides valuable clinical insight for both pain management and treatment. ..
- Guss J, Horsfield M, Fontenele F, Sandoval T, Luna M, Apoorva F, et al. Alterations to the Gut Microbiome Impair Bone Strength and Tissue Material Properties. J Bone Miner Res. 2017;32:1343-1353 pubmed publisher..2017 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. ..
- Tremp A, Al Khattaf F, Dessens J. Palmitoylation of Plasmodium alveolins promotes cytoskeletal function. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2017;213:16-21 pubmed publisher..These findings support the hypothesis that alveolin palmitoylation enhances cytoskeletal function by strengthening the connection between the SPN and the adjoining inner membrane complex via lipid anchoring. ..
- Quilez M, Seral B, Perez M. Biomechanical evaluation of tibial bone adaptation after revision total knee arthroplasty: A comparison of different implant systems. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184361 pubmed publisher..We were able to demonstrate the importance of choosing an adequate revision system and that in silico models may help surgeons choose patient-specific treatments. ..
- Seo K, Kim J, Oh D, Ryu H, Choi H. Virtual daily living test to screen for mild cognitive impairment using kinematic movement analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181883 pubmed publisher..3% specificity). Inclusion of the kinematic measures in screening for MCI significantly improved the classification of patients with MCI compared to the healthy control group, Wilks' Lambda = 0.451, p < 0.001. ..
- Ruiz de Galarreta S, Antón R, Cazon A, Finol E. A methodology for developing anisotropic AAA phantoms via additive manufacturing. J Biomech. 2017;57:161-166 pubmed publisher..4%) and a maximum difference of 12.4% in the peak Green strain ratio. This work represents a step forward in the application of 3D printing technology for the manufacturing of AAA phantoms with anisotropic mechanical behavior. ..