Genomes and Genes
Summary: The motion of fluids, especially noncompressible liquids, under the influence of internal and external forces.
- Santos C, Belinha J, Gentil F, Parente M, Jorge R. An alternative 3D numerical method to study the biomechanical behaviour of the human inner ear semicircular canal. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2017;19:3-15 pubmed..One of the most efficient treatments at the moment is vestibular rehabilitation, permitting to improve the symptoms. However, this rehabilitation therapy is a highly empirical process, which needs to be enhanced and better understood...
- Li S, Zhao Y. Preparation of zein nanoparticles by using solution-enhanced dispersion with supercritical CO2 and elucidation with computational fluid dynamics. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017;12:3485-3494 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that the velocity field can be a potential criterion for producing nanoparticles with controllable morphology and size, which is useful to scale-up the SEDS process. ..
- Ding J, Li S, Zhao Y, Guan Y, Deng L, Deng Q. Properties of hydrodynamic J-type countercurrent chromatography for protein separation using aqueous two-phase systems: With special reference to constructing conical columns. J Chromatogr A. 2017;1499:101-110 pubmed publisher..5-2.0 and stationary phase retention also exceeds 40%) for the selected ATPSs and under a varied level of sample volumes and loadings. ..
- Xu L, Gu L, Liu H. Exploring potential association between flow instability and rupture in patients with matched-pairs of ruptured-unruptured intracranial aneurysms. Biomed Eng Online. 2016;15:166 pubmed publisher..The obvious differences observed between matched-pairs of ruptured-unruptured aneurysms imply that flow instability may be a potential source correlating to aneurysm rupture. ..
- Traipe Castro L, Salinas Toro D, López D, Zanolli M, Srur M, Valenzuela F, et al. Dynamics of tear fluid desiccation on a glass surface: a contribution to tear quality assessment. Biol Res. 2014;47:25 pubmed publisher..Morphological characteristics of tear microdesiccates can provide insights into the relative rate of tear evaporation. ..
- Zhang T, Gao B, Zhou Z, Chang Y. The movement and deposition of PM2.5 in the upper respiratory tract for the patients with heart failure: an elementary CFD study. Biomed Eng Online. 2016;15:138 pubmed publisher..In short, it's necessary to pay more attention to the living environment of HF patients, to reduce the content of PM2.5 particles in the air, and reduce the damage of PM2.5 particles caused by breathing patterns. ..
- Cébron D, Viroulet S, Vidal J, Masson J, Viroulet P. Experimental and theoretical study of magnetohydrodynamic ship models. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178599 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the theory is general enough to be adapted to other contexts, such as large scale ships or industrial flow measurement techniques. ..
- Pavlov V, Rosental B, Hansen N, Beers J, Parish G, Rowbotham I, et al. Hydraulic control of tuna fins: A role for the lymphatic system in vertebrate locomotion. Science. 2017;357:310-314 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the lymphatic system of tunas functions in swimming hydrodynamics. Specifically, a musculo-vascular complex, consisting of fin muscles, bones, and lymphatic vessels, is ..
- Kim Y, Hong S, Song Y, Lee H, Kim H, Ryu J, et al. Seasonal variability of estuarine dynamics due to freshwater discharge and its influence on biological productivity in Yeongsan River Estuary, Korea. Chemosphere. 2017;181:390-399 pubmed publisher..We also set up a numerical model to resolve hydrodynamics and fate of water quality variables in the system...
- Fu H, Jiang Y, Yang D, Scheiflinger F, Wong W, Springer T. Flow-induced elongation of von Willebrand factor precedes tension-dependent activation. Nat Commun. 2017;8:324 pubmed publisher..Here the authors show that VWF is first converted from a compact to linear form by flow, and is subsequently activated to bind GPIb? in a tension-dependent manner. ..
- Zhang Q, Meng Z, Zhang Y, Yao K, Liu J, Zhang Y, et al. Phantom-based experimental validation of fast virtual deployment of self-expandable stents for cerebral aneurysms. Biomed Eng Online. 2016;15:125 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the results of the computational hemodynamics indicate that FVS is suitable for evaluation of the hemodynamic factors that affect treatment outcomes. ..
- Wu X, Wang N, Wang Z, Yu W, Wang Y, Guo Y, et al. Mathematically modeling fluid flow and fluid shear stress in the canaliculi of a loaded osteon. Biomed Eng Online. 2016;15:149 pubmed publisher..The approach can also be used to analyze the structure of the proteoglycan matrix in the fluid space surrounding the osteocytic process in the canaliculus. ..
- Pérez Pérez T, Correia G, Kwong W, Pereda Reyes I, Oliva Merencio D, Zaiat M. Effects of the support material addition on the hydrodynamic behavior of an anaerobic expanded granular sludge bed reactor. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;54:224-230 pubmed publisher..Zeolite addition exerted a positive effect on the hydrodynamics pattern for this technology being advantageous for the anaerobic process because of its possible contribution ..
- Mirzargar M, Whitaker R, Kirby R. Curve Boxplot: Generalization of Boxplot for Ensembles of Curves. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2014;20:2654-63 pubmed publisher..Results are presented for applications in neuroimaging, hurricane forecasting and fluid dynamics. ..
- Sadeghizadeh A, Farhad Dad F, Moghaddasi L, Rahimi R. CO2 capture from air by Chlorella vulgaris microalgae in an airlift photobioreactor. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:441-447 pubmed publisherIn this work, hydrodynamics and CO2 biofixation study was conducted in an airlift bioreactor at the temperature of 30±2°C...
- Polwaththe Gallage H, Saha S, Sauret E, Flower R, Senadeera W, Gu Y. SPH-DEM approach to numerically simulate the deformation of three-dimensional RBCs in non-uniform capillaries. Biomed Eng Online. 2016;15:161 pubmed publisher..The haemoglobin in the RBC and the plasma in the blood are modelled as smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) particles...
- Maksimov E, Sluchanko N, Slonimskiy Y, Mironov K, Klementiev K, Moldenhauer M, et al. The Unique Protein-to-Protein Carotenoid Transfer Mechanism. Biophys J. 2017;113:402-414 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that a similar OCP assembly can occur in vivo, substantiating specific roles of the COCP carotenoid carrier in cyanobacterial photoprotection. ..
- Bomphrey R, Nakata T, Phillips N, Walker S. Smart wing rotation and trailing-edge vortices enable high frequency mosquito flight. Nature. 2017;544:92-95 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these mechanisms are particularly well suited to high aspect ratio mosquito wings. ..
- Hariharan P, D Souza G, Horner M, Morrison T, Malinauskas R, Myers M. Use of the FDA nozzle model to illustrate validation techniques in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178749 pubmed publisher..The threshold approach can be applied to all types of computational models and provides an objective way of determining model credibility and for evaluating medical devices. ..
- Yu D, Yang M, Qi L, Liu M, Wang Y, Wei Y. Effects of aeration on matrix temperature by infrared thermal imager and computational fluid dynamics during sludge bio-drying. Water Res. 2017;122:317-328 pubmed publisher..Surface temperature monitored by IRI coupled with 3D temperature simulated by CFD rapidly gives a clear matrix temperature evolution, empowering biodrying by more accurate temperature and aeration. ..
- Heidari Pahlavian S, Bunck A, Loth F, Shane Tubbs R, Yiallourou T, Kroeger J, et al. Characterization of the discrepancies between four-dimensional phase-contrast magnetic resonance imaging and in-silico simulations of cerebrospinal fluid dynamics. J Biomech Eng. 2015;137:051002 pubmed publisher..Inclusion of spinal cord NRDL in the cervical SSS does not fully explain the differences between velocities obtained from 4D PCMRI measurements and CFD simulations. ..
- Belcher D, Banerjee U, Baehr C, Richardson K, Cabrales P, Berthiaume F, et al. Mixtures of tense and relaxed state polymerized human hemoglobin regulate oxygen affinity and tissue construct oxygenation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185988 pubmed publisher..These results show the effect of varying the T/R-state PolyhHb mole fraction on oxygenation of tissue-engineered constructs and their potential to oxygenate tissues...
- Yu Y, Yang Z, Duan Y. Structure and flow calculation of cake layer on microfiltration membranes. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;56:95-101 pubmed publisher..The specific area, or the aggregation/dispersion of foulants, is less important to its permeability compared to its volume fraction. ..
- Ye X, Chu D, Lou Y, Ye Z, Wang M, Chen S. Numerical simulation of flow hydrodynamics of struvite pellets in a liquid-solid fluidized bed. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;57:391-401 pubmed publisher..The usage of the struvite products is normally determined by the size which is largely depended on the hydrodynamics. In this study, flow behavior of struvite pellets was simulated by means of Eulerian-Eulerian two-fluid model ..
- Nóbrega R, Guzha A, Torres G, Kovács K, Lamparter G, Amorim R, et al. Effects of conversion of native cerrado vegetation to pasture on soil hydro-physical properties, evapotranspiration and streamflow on the Amazonian agricultural frontier. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179414 pubmed publisher..27 for the cerrado catchment. Overall, our results confirm that conversion of cerrado vegetation to pasture causes soil hydro-physical properties deterioration, reduction in evapotranspiration reduction, and increased streamflow. ..
- Shih A, Mendelson L, Techet A. Archer fish jumping prey capture: kinematics and hydrodynamics. J Exp Biol. 2017;220:1411-1422 pubmed publisher..In this study, high-speed imaging and particle image velocimetry were used to characterize the kinematics and hydrodynamics of this jumping behavior...
- Ong R, King A, Kaandorp J, Mullins B, Caley M. The effect of allometric scaling in coral thermal microenvironments. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184214 pubmed publisher..This study may assist in estimating the coral microscale temperature under known conditions of water flow and irradiance, in particular when examining the intra- and inter-colony variability found during periods of bleaching conditions...
- Arya G, Tadayon S, Sadighian J, Jones J, de Mutsert K, Huff T, et al. Pharmaceutical chemicals, steroids and xenoestrogens in water, sediments and fish from the tidal freshwater Potomac River (Virginia, USA). J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 2017;52:686-696 pubmed publisher..but such an association is tentative in Hunting Creek given the complex nature of urban sources of PCSXs and hydrodynamics in an urban tidal river...
- Want A, Crawford R, Kakkonen J, Kiddie G, Miller S, Harris R, et al. Biodiversity characterisation and hydrodynamic consequences of marine fouling communities on marine renewable energy infrastructure in the Orkney Islands Archipelago, Scotland, UK. Biofouling. 2017;33:567-579 pubmed publisher..The results are discussed in relation to the accuracy of the measurement resources for power generation. Further applications are suggested for future testing in other scenarios, including tidal energy. ..
- MÃ©tivier V, Massicotte B, Tremblay A, Dupuis P. Monitoring saltwater intrusion in Rupert Bay, QuÃ©bec, Canada, after the partial diversion of a major tributary. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;190:38 pubmed publisher..The results, thus, confirm that the shift of the upstream limit of the saltwater front along the channels of the bay was conservatively predicted by numerical modeling. ..
- Nygaard M, Kragelund B, Papaleo E, Lindorff Larsen K. An Efficient Method for Estimating the Hydrodynamic Radius of Disordered Protein Conformations. Biophys J. 2017;113:550-557 pubmed publisher..The relationship may also be valuable when using NMR diffusion measurements to restrain molecular simulations. ..
- Nag S, Resnick A. Biophysics and biofluid dynamics of primary cilia: evidence for and against the flow-sensing function. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017;313:F706-F720 pubmed publisher..Throughout, we stress the importance of separating the effects of fluid shear and stretch from the action of hydrodynamic drag. ..
- Wang W, Qian X, Song H, Zhang M, Liu Z. Fluid and structure coupling analysis of the interaction between aqueous humor and iris. Biomed Eng Online. 2016;15:133 pubmed publisher..So far the FSI analysis was carried out in that idealization geometry model of anterior segment to study aqueous flow and iris change. ..
- Nowicka Krawczyk P, Żelazna Wieczorek J, Koźlecki T. Silver nanoparticles as a control agent against facades coated by aerial algae-A model study of Apatococcus lobatus (green algae). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183276 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the data suggest that AgNP may be used as a biocide against aerial algal coatings; however, with a proper caution related to the concentration of the nanoparticles. ..
- Chow E, Skolnick J. DNA Internal Motion Likely Accelerates Protein Target Search in a Packed Nucleoid. Biophys J. 2017;112:2261-2270 pubmed publisher..The internal motions of DNA appear to be governed by strong internal forces arising from being crowded into the small space of the nucleoid. A consequence of the DNA internal motion is that protein target search may be accelerated. ..
- Potvin J, Werth A. Oral cavity hydrodynamics and drag production in Balaenid whale suspension feeding. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175220 pubmed publisher..This paper discusses the simulation of baleen filtration hydrodynamics based on a type of hydraulic circuit modeling commonly used in microfluidics, but adapted to the much higher ..
- Carpenter C, Helbling D. Removal of micropollutants in biofilters: Hydrodynamic effects on biofilm assembly and functioning. Water Res. 2017;120:211-221 pubmed publisher..The objective of this work was to investigate the influence of hydrodynamics on biofilm growth and development in a biofiltration process and the consequent effect on MP biotransformation ..
- Armaly M. EFFECT OF CORTICOSTEROIDS ON INTRAOCULAR PRESSURE AND FLUID DYNAMICS. I. THE EFFECT OF DEXAMETHASONE IN THE NORMAL EYE. Arch Ophthalmol. 1963;70:482-91 pubmed
- Kwon D, Nho H, Yoon T. Transmission Electron Microscopy and Scanning Transmission X-Ray Microscopy Studies on the Bioaccumulation and Tissue Level Absorption of TiO2 Nanoparticles in Daphnia magna. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2015;15:4229-38 pubmed..g., collapse of the epithelial tissue) caused by high toxicity of NPs or released metal ions. ..
- Gladden L, Sederman A. Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Velocity Mapping in Chemical Engineering Applications. Annu Rev Chem Biomol Eng. 2017;8:227-247 pubmed publisher..Here we focus on hydrodynamics and, in particular, applications to rheology, pipe flow, and fixed-bed and gas-solid fluidized bed reactors...
- Ammar R, Kazpard V, El Samrani A, Amacha N, Saad Z, Chou L. Hydrodynamic influence on reservoir sustainability in semi-arid climate: A physicochemical and environmental isotopic study. J Environ Manage. 2017;197:571-581 pubmed publisher..Attention should be devoted to the hydrogeological location of planned reservoirs, which should take into account the vicinity of shallow water table to insure good water quality and water sustainability. ..
- Hayat T, Qayyum S, Alsaedi A, Asghar S. Radiation effects on the mixed convection flow induced by an inclined stretching cylinder with non-uniform heat source/sink. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175584 pubmed publisher..Temperature and heat transfer rate are enhanced via larger thermal Biot number. Effect of Schmidt number on the concentration and local Sherwood number is quite reverse. ..
- Sluchanko N, Tugaeva K, Maksimov E. Solution structure of human steroidogenic acute regulatory protein STARD1 studied by small-angle X-ray scattering. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;489:445-450 pubmed publisher..The consistency with the previously reported solution NMR structure of STARD6 suggests similarity of hydrodynamic behavior of other STARD-containing proteins. ..
- Reed B, Yakovleva L, Shuman S, Ghose R. Characterization of DNA Binding by the Isolated N-Terminal Domain of Vaccinia Virus DNA Topoisomerase IB. Biochemistry. 2017;56:3307-3317 pubmed publisher..The importance of key N-terminal domain contacts in the context of full-length vTopIB is underscored by assessing the effects of double-alanine mutations on DNA transesterification and its sensitivity to ionic strength. ..
- Tian H, Sakmar T, Huber T. The Energetics of Chromophore Binding in the Visual Photoreceptor Rhodopsin. Biophys J. 2017;113:60-72 pubmed publisher..Our data provide insights into the ligand-receptor binding reaction for rhodopsin in particular, and for GPCRs more broadly. ..
- Morin K, Lenz M, Labat C, Tranquillo R. A mathematical model for understanding fluid flow through engineered tissues containing microvessels. J Biomech Eng. 2015;137:051003 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the model can predict the density of perfused microvessels based on parameters that can be easily measured. ..
- Sweat L, Swain G, Hunsucker K, Johnson K. Transported biofilms and their influence on subsequent macrofouling colonization. Biofouling. 2017;33:433-449 pubmed publisher..The methods by which organisms colonize and are transferred by ships have implications for their distribution, establishment and invasion success. ..
- Beck J, Fung C, Ulrich C, Fiechter M, Fichtner J, Mattle H, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid outflow resistance as a diagnostic marker of spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid leakage. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017;27:227-234 pubmed publisher..The authors suggest inclusion of RCSF in the diagnostic criteria for SIH. ..
- Ranganathan P, Amal J, Savithri S, Haridas A. Experimental and modelling of Arthrospira platensis cultivation in open raceway ponds. Bioresour Technol. 2017;242:197-205 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, dynamic model for algae growth and CFD modelling of hydrodynamics in open raceway pond were developed...
- Siddiqui A, Lehmann S, Haaksman V, Ogier J, Schellenberg C, van Loosdrecht M, et al. Porosity of spacer-filled channels in spiral-wound membrane systems: Quantification methods and impact on hydraulic characterization. Water Res. 2017;119:304-311 pubmed publisherThe porosity of spacer-filled feed channels influences the hydrodynamics of spiral-wound membrane systems and impacts the overall performance of the system...
- Cheng Y, Sellers D, Tan J, Peeler D, Horner P, Pun S. Development of switchable polymers to address the dilemma of stability and cargo release in polycationic nucleic acid carriers. Biomaterials. 2017;127:89-96 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the polymer designed here is a good solution to address the dilemma of stability and cargo release in gene delivery, and may have broad potential applications in therapeutic agent delivery. ..