principle based ethics
Summary: An approach to ethics that focuses on theories of the importance of general principles such as respect for autonomy, beneficence/nonmaleficence, and justice.
- McElmurry B, Solheim K, Kishi R, Coffia M, Woith W, Janepanish P. Ethical concerns in nurse migration. J Prof Nurs. 2006;22:226-35 pubmed
- Lekan T. Integrating justice and care in animal ethics. J Appl Philos. 2004;21:183-95 pubmed..I make this idea plausible by elucidating the claim that arguments for this project are best thought of as second-order deliberations about our first-order deliberative life. ..
- Lambert V, Lambert C, Tsukahara M. Scholarly ethics. Nurs Health Sci. 2003;5:101-2 pubmed
- Cohen J, Erickson J. Ethical dilemmas and moral distress in oncology nursing practice. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2006;10:775-80 pubmed..Additional resources in the clinical setting may encourage nurses to actively participate in ethical decision making and take deliberate action as moral agents. ..
- Callahan D. The contested terrain of American bioethics. J Int Bioethique. 2009;20:25-33, 108 pubmed..A global bioethics has emerged and the field of bioethics, despite internal struggles, continues to grow and flourish. ..
- Thornton T. Judgement and the role of the metaphysics of values in medical ethics. J Med Ethics. 2006;32:365-70 pubmed..In the third section, I consider how much the resultant picture diverges from Beauchamp and Childress's actual position. ..
- Guiberteau M. 2006 ACR presidential oration. The ring in the radiograph: profession and principle. J Am Coll Radiol. 2007;4:11-7 pubmed..Judged by its history and recent leadership, the ACR has served and continues to serve this critical function by providing commitment, direction, and voice for our profession's core values. ..
- Ferrie S. A quick guide to ethical theory in healthcare: solving ethical dilemmas in nutrition support situations. Nutr Clin Pract. 2006;21:113-7 pubmed..Adopting a step-by-step approach can simplify the process of resolving ethical problems. ..
- Lanter J. Clinical research with cognitively impaired subjects: issues for nurses. Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 2006;25:89-92 pubmed..This article provides insight into the ethical principles in clinical research as they pertain to subjects who may have diminished ability to make their own decisions. ..
- Cassel C, Brennan T. Managing medical resources: return to the commons?. JAMA. 2007;297:2518-21 pubmed
- Erdil F, Korkmaz F. Ethical problems observed by student nurses. Nurs Ethics. 2009;16:589-98 pubmed publisher..It is argued that nurses should internalize their professional and ethical roles in order to provide safe and ethical care and be good role models for students. ..
- Steevenson G. A reflective case study in the obstetric theatre: focusing on the principles of care involved. J Perioper Pract. 2007;17:68, 70-5 pubmed..Unplanned caesarean sections are often emotionally charged procedures. Often a mother has had no warning of a surgical intervention for the birth of her child and is understandably both distressed and frightened. ..
- Wuhrman E, Cooney M, Dunwoody C, Eksterowics N, Merkel S, Oakes L. Authorized and unauthorized ("PCA by Proxy") dosing of analgesic infusion pumps. Pain Manag Nurs. 2006;7:136-46 pubmed
- Pitorak E. Respecting the dying patient's rights. Home Healthc Nurse. 2003;21:833-6 pubmed..Patients who are dying have unique needs and special rights. This article discusses eight basic rights for dying patients. It also gives examples of how hospice and home care providers can focus care to respect the dying patient's rights. ..
- Purdy I. Embracing bioethics in neonatal intensive care, part I: evolving toward neonatal evidence-based ethics. Neonatal Netw. 2006;25:33-42 pubmed..It also includes recommendations for enhancing the skills of neonatal nurses as patient advocates in NICU ethical issues, an area that is, at times, controversial and baffling to clinicians. ..
- de Vries R, Gordijn B. Empirical ethics and its alleged meta-ethical fallacies. Bioethics. 2009;23:193-201 pubmed publisher..Moreover, it answers the question of whether empirical ethics (necessarily) commits these three basic meta-ethical fallacies. ..
- Shirey M. Ethical climate in nursing practice: the leader's role. JONAS Healthc Law Ethics Regul. 2005;7:59-67 pubmed..Components of ethical climate are presented and strategies to create a positive ethical climate for nursing practice are provided. ..
- Howsepian A. Treating homosexuality: a response to Yarhouse. Christ Bioeth. 2004;10:259-67 pubmed..I do not believe that Christians involved in the care of homosexuals can licitly participate in such referrals. ..
- Peirce A, Smith J. The ethics curriculum for doctor of nursing practice programs. J Prof Nurs. 2008;24:270-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that a curricular framework that addresses clinical, research, business, and legal ethics is needed by all DNP students. ..
- Labun E. Working with a Vietnamese adolescent. J Sch Nurs. 2003;19:319-25 pubmed..A case study is presented with background information about the Vietnamese culture, the refugee-immigrant experience, and nursing ethics. Suggestions are offered for future ethical problem solving. ..
- Ypinazar V, Margolis S. Western medical ethics taught to junior medical students can cross cultural and linguistic boundaries. BMC Med Ethics. 2004;5:E4 pubmed
- Biton V, Tabak N. The relationship between the application of the nursing ethical code and nurses' work satisfaction. Int J Nurs Pract. 2003;9:140-57 pubmed..This paper highlights that professionalization, manifested by the ethical code, should be applied on an everyday basis in the workplace. ..
- Gordon C, Zimmerman A. Fair shares: a preliminary framework and case analyzing the ethics of offshoring. Sci Eng Ethics. 2010;16:325-53 pubmed publisher..The paper concludes with suggestions for further research. ..
- Beech M. Confidentiality in health care: conflicting legal and ethical issues. Nurs Stand. 2007;21:42-6 pubmed..The author explains that nurses should be familiar with their professional code of conduct and keep up to date with any changes in the law to understand when it might be justified to override the duty of confidentiality. ..
- Pullman D. Ethics first aid: reframing the role of "principlism" in clinical ethics education and practice. J Clin Ethics. 2005;16:223-9 pubmed
- Jacobs H. Ethics in pediatric end-of-life care: a nursing perspective. J Pediatr Nurs. 2005;20:360-9 pubmed
- Sadler J, Jotterand F, Lee S, Inrig S. Can medicalization be good? Situating medicalization within bioethics. Theor Med Bioeth. 2009;30:411-25 pubmed publisher..A series of brief case sketches illustrate how bioethics can contribute to the analysis and public policy discussion of medicalization. ..
- Gesundheit B, Ash N, Blazer S, Rivkind A. Medical care for terrorists--to treat or not to treat?. Am J Bioeth. 2009;9:40-2 pubmed publisher..Terrorists, using violence to create fear in order to further their political objectives, might require life-saving medical care if injured during the course of their terror activities. ..
- Levi B. Four approaches to doing ethics. J Med Philos. 1996;21:7-39 pubmed
- Bartkowiak L. [Between obligation and duty--on deontological codes in medical professions]. Wiad Lek. 2006;59:882-8 pubmed..The standing of occupational ethics in the work ofphysician, nurse and pharmacist is a prerequisite for maintaining the high social prestige of these professions. ..
- Mok Y. Respect-based toleration. Nurs Philos. 2005;6:274-7 pubmed
- Beauchamp T. How not to rethink research ethics. Am J Bioeth. 2005;5:31-3; author reply W15-8 pubmed
- Steinberg A. The terminally ill--secular and Jewish ethical aspects. Isr J Med Sci. 1994;30:130-5 pubmed
- Sass H. Introduction: European bioethics on a rocky road. J Med Philos. 2001;26:215-24 pubmed
- Baroness Cox C. The Baroness Cox of Queensbury. Nurs Ethics. 2003;10:441-5 pubmed
- DeGrazia D. Moving forward in bioethical theory: theories, cases, and specified principlism. J Med Philos. 1992;17:511-39 pubmed..An alternative model, suggested by the work of Henry Richardson, is presented. It is argued that specified principlism is the most promising model of justification in bioethics. ..
- Yates F. Holding the hospital hostage. Am J Bioeth. 2007;7:36-7 pubmed
- Marcolino J, Cohen C. [About correlation between bioethics and medical psychology]. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2008;54:363-8 pubmed..They discussed some clinical issues where they observe this correlation. At last, they try to draw some conclusions. ..
- Ramahi I, Silverman H. Clinical research law in Jordan: an ethical analysis. Dev World Bioeth. 2009;9:26-33 pubmed publisher..The paper concludes with the suggestion that new amendments should be considered for future revisions of the Clinical Research Law in Jordan. ..
- Larijani B, Zahedi F. Contemporary medical ethics: an overview from Iran. Dev World Bioeth. 2008;8:192-6 pubmed publisher..This paper will discuss these issues, along with the production, in 2005, of the Specific National Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research. ..
- Pesut B. Incorporating patients' spirituality into care using Gadow's ethical framework. Nurs Ethics. 2009;16:418-28 pubmed publisher..A case study on palliative sedation is used to illustrate how the ethical framework can help to reveal the spiritual certainties, principles and narratives patients bring to their health care experiences. ..
- Hickman S. Honoring resident autonomy in long-term care. Special considerations. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2004;42:12-6 pubmed
- Cameron M. A Tibetan perspective on ethics, spirituality, and healing. J Prof Nurs. 2003;19:245-6 pubmed
- Crigger N. Towards understanding the nature of conflict of interest and its application to the discipline of nursing. Nurs Philos. 2009;10:253-62 pubmed publisher..Improving nurses' and professional organizations' awareness of COI and sharpening our ability to respond appropriately when COI arise can reduce potential harm and promote trust in those whom we serve. ..
- Lorensen M, Davis A, Konishi E, Bunch E. Ethical issues after the disclosure of a terminal illness: Danish and Norwegian hospice nurses' reflections. Nurs Ethics. 2003;10:175-85 pubmed..Coupled with truth-telling, compassionate interaction and care become extensions of patients' rights. ..
- Sarikonda Woitas C, Robinson J. Ethical health care policy: nursing's voice in allocation. Nurs Adm Q. 2002;26:72-80 pubmed