Summary: The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes and organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests. (Webster New Collegiate Dictionary, 1981)
- Doan L. Lesbian Studies after The Lesbian Postmodern: toward a new genealogy. J Lesbian Stud. 2007;11:19-35 pubmed..Such a project is vital because the writing of our disciplinary History clarifies how we envision a disciplinary future. ..
- Bair J. On difference and capital: gender and the globalization of production. Signs (Chic). 2010;36:203-26 pubmed
- Spoel P, James S. Negotiating public and professional interests: a rhetorical analysis of the debate concerning the regulation of midwifery in Ontario, Canada. J Med Humanit. 2006;27:167-86 pubmed..Likewise, it suggests the relevance of rhetorical analysis for understanding the discursive formation and re-formation of health models, values, and professions in Western culture. ..
- Paterna C, Martinez C. Fathers and gender traditionalism: perception of inequality and life roles. Span J Psychol. 2006;9:171-81 pubmed..However, the couple relationship gives them the most satisfaction. Level of traditionalism and age were the two significant predicting variables of perception of inequality of men and women. ..
- McPhail B, Busch N, Kulkarni S, Rice G. An integrative feminist model: the evolving feminist perspective on intimate partner violence. Violence Against Women. 2007;13:817-41 pubmed..Findings led to the development of the Integrative Feminist Model, which expands the feminist perspective in response to critiques, new research, and alternative theories while retaining a gendered analysis of violence. ..
- Higgins J, Hoffman S, Dworkin S. Rethinking gender, heterosexual men, and women's vulnerability to HIV/AIDS. Am J Public Health. 2010;100:435-45 pubmed publisher..We also call for an expanded model that acknowledges biology, gender inequality, and gendered power relations but also directly examines social structure, gender, and HIV risk for heterosexual women and men. ..
- Barberá Heredia E, Cala Carrillo M. [Gender perspective in the context of Spanish academic psychology]. Psicothema. 2008;20:236-42 pubmed..The general trend shows that the interpretation of sex/gender has moved away from being considered an individual and internal factor to a more dynamic approach that analyses sex/gender through behavioural practices. ..
- Langer C. Reframing Romaine Brooks' heroic queer modernism. J Lesbian Stud. 2010;14:140-53 pubmed publisher..My focus is on how Brooks shatters normative conventions of portraiture in her revolutionary critique of heteronormativity. ..
- Forssén A, Carlstedt G. "You really do something useful with kids": mothering and experienced health and illness in a group of elderly Swedish women. Health Care Women Int. 2008;29:1019-39 pubmed publisher..Feelings of success or failure at bringing up their children affected the women's experience of health/ill health throughout their lives. Their health as elderly women depended on the health and happiness of their, now adult, children. ..
- Surtees R. 'Inductions of labour': on becoming an experienced midwifery practitioner in Aotearoa/New Zealand. Nurs Inq. 2008;15:11-20 pubmed publisher..The relevance of this is also highly critical for midwifery and birth practices internationally. ..
- Fenton R. Catholic doctrine versus women's rights: the new Italian law on assisted reproduction. Med Law Rev. 2006;14:73-107 pubmed
- Hakim C. Dancing with the Devil? Essentialism and other feminist heresies. Br J Sociol. 2007;58:123-32; discussion 133-4 pubmed
- ..expression, drawing upon the following concepts, which are not mutually exclusive: critical cultural theory, feminism, colonialism, Orientalism, postmodernism, poststructuralism, queer theory, and semiotics...
- Arnold G. A battered women's movement perspective of Coercive Control. Violence Against Women. 2009;15:1432-43 pubmed publisher..At the same time, it is likely to complicate activists' efforts to mobilize public opinion, resources, and public policy to address the problem of woman abuse. ..
- James A. Queer like me: black girlhood sexuality on the playground, under the covers, and in the halls of academia. J Lesbian Stud. 2011;15:41-8 pubmed publisherUsing Laura Alexandra Harris' conception of a queer Black feminism, I evaluate stories from my girlhood to learn what lessons can be learned about young female sexuality when the researcher works from a position of pleasure...
- Racine L, Petrucka P. Enhancing decolonization and knowledge transfer in nursing research with non-western populations: examining the congruence between primary healthcare and postcolonial feminist approaches. Nurs Inq. 2011;18:12-20 pubmed publisher..our respective programs of research, we suggest conciliating the philosophy of primary healthcare to postcolonial feminism for decolonizing research and enhancing knowledge transfer with non-western populations...
- Figert A. Premenstrual syndrome as scientific and cultural artifact. Integr Physiol Behav Sci. 2005;40:102-13 pubmed..The author shows how PMS is real because, if for no other reason, various people in different situations choose to define it as such. ..
- Vanwesenbeeck I. The risks and rights of sexualization: an appreciative commentary on Lerum and Dworkin's "bad girls rule". J Sex Res. 2009;46:268-70; discussion 271-3 pubmed publisher..The main contention is that sexualization is associated with risks, as well as with rights, and that any productive analysis will have to consider both. ..
- Davies K. The body and doing gender: the relations between doctors and nurses in hospital work. Sociol Health Illn. 2003;25:720-42 pubmed..Space and place are not neutral but are linked to relations of power and gender and class. How doing dominance and doing deference are accomplished--but also changed--in hospital work is addressed. ..
- Howard Y. Introduction to the special issue: under pressure. J Lesbian Stud. 2013;17:2-6 pubmed publisher..These summaries also show the connections between the articles and suggest possibilities for future critical dialogues on the theme. ..
- Quach T. Femininity and sexual agency among young unmarried women in Hanoi. Cult Health Sex. 2008;10 Suppl:S151-61 pubmed publisher..It is crucial to acknowledge the sexual agency of unmarried, educated women and its diverse forms in order to understand complex sexual behaviours and to promote their sexual rights and health. ..
- von Minden S. [Viktor Emil v. Gebsattel and Maria v. Stach. New light on two participants of the 3rd psychoanalytical congress at Weimar (1911)]. Luzif Amor. 2011;24:99-105 pubmed..While v. Gebsattel was just about to start his career as psychotherapist in 1911, the feminist journalist v. Stach seems to have withdrawn into private life. ..
- Purdy L. Women's reproductive autonomy: medicalisation and beyond. J Med Ethics. 2006;32:287-91 pubmed..As there is no morally relevant difference between these two types of reduction, it is evident that inappropriate medicalisation can still limit women's autonomy in undesirable ways. ..
- Maureen O Mahony J, Truong Donnelly T. A postcolonial feminist perspective inquiry into immigrant women's mental health care experiences. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2010;31:440-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that postcolonial feminism provides an analytic lens to (a) generate transformative knowledge about immigrant women's mental health care ..
- Johnston E, Johnson A. Searching for the second generation of American women psychologists. Hist Psychol. 2008;11:40-72 pubmed..This article recounts our systematic search for this "lost generation" and emphasizes the extent and diversity of their contributions to psychology. ..
- Engel A. Loud and lusty lesbian queers: lesbian theory, research and debate in the German-speaking context. J Lesbian Stud. 2007;11:265-73 pubmed
- ..For others, the profound spirituality of birth transformed their understanding of menstruation. Contrary to cultural norms, both menstruation and birth can be sacred female experiences which are sources of authority and empowerment. ..
- Jefford E, Sundin D. Post-structural feminist interpretive interactionism. Nurse Res. 2013;21:14-22 pubmed publisher..Interpretive interactionism methodology can and should be improved by taking account of issues of power, feminism and post-structural values...
- Campbell R, Adams A, Wasco S, Ahrens C, Sefl T. "What has it been like for you to talk with me today?": the impact of participating in interview research on rape survivors. Violence Against Women. 2010;16:60-83 pubmed publisher..Additional analyses revealed that the feminist interviewing principles were noticed and appreciated by the participants and contributed to their overall positive participation outcomes. ..
- Mackinnon C. Applying feminist, multicultural, and social justice theory to diverse women who function as caregivers in end-of-life and palliative home care. Palliat Support Care. 2009;7:501-12 pubmed publisher..The following search terms were used: women/mothers/daughters, Caregiving, family caregivers, feminism, culture, multiculturalism, and palliative home care. Article reference lists were also reviewed...
- Hunt M, Jung P. "Good sex" and religion: a feminist overview. J Sex Res. 2009;46:156-67 pubmed publisher..Both the ambivalence of religious teachings about sexuality and the difficulties posed by monolithic portrayals of religious traditions are identified. ..
- McCarter Spaulding D. Is breastfeeding fair? Tensions in feminist perspectives on breastfeeding and the family. J Hum Lact. 2008;24:206-12 pubmed publisher..Various feminist theories addressing breastfeeding from the perspective of gender ideology, cultural feminism, and history are reviewed and contrasted. Employment and race disparities are addressed within feminist contexts...
- Brown L, Bryan T. Feminist therapy with people who self-inflict violence. J Clin Psychol. 2007;63:1121-33 pubmed..Feminist therapy is illustrated with a case example of a woman who used SIV, and the challenges to a therapist wishing to promote client safety while empowering the client. Practice recommendations and cautions are advanced. ..
- Harris M, Nilan P, Kirby E. Risk and risk management for Australian sex workers. Qual Health Res. 2011;21:386-98 pubmed publisher..Our findings have implications for health and other agencies dealing with sex workers in situations in which community pressure is exerted to move sex workers away from the area. ..
- Zucker A, Bay Cheng L. Minding the gap between feminist identity and attitudes: the behavioral and ideological divide between feminists and non-labelers. J Pers. 2010;78:1895-924 pubmed publisher..This suggests that feminism--as a movement, a set of attitudes, or an explicit identity--is still warranted...
- Einstein G, Shildrick M. The postconventional body: retheorising women's health. Soc Sci Med. 2009;69:293-300 pubmed publisher..More specifically, by providing a space within the clinic to examine underlying ontological, epistemological, and ethical assumptions, women's health can continue to contribute to new forms of biomedical practice. ..
- Barrett E. Power as knowing participation in change: what's new and what's next. Nurs Sci Q. 2010;23:47-54 pubmed publisher..Further developments of the theory are presented and future speculations are proposed. ..
- Dickenson D. The new French resistance: commodification rejected?. Med Law Int. 2005;7:41-63 pubmed
- Duchscher J, Myrick F. The prevailing winds of oppression: understanding the new graduate experience in acute care. Nurs Forum. 2008;43:191-206 pubmed publisher..Suggestions for addressing the issues that plague the acute care environment are integrated throughout the article, and a detailed framework of empowerment for this nursing context is offered. ..
- Holmqvist K, Frisén A. "I bet they aren't that perfect in reality:" Appearance ideals viewed from the perspective of adolescents with a positive body image. Body Image. 2012;9:388-95 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we stress the significance of providing adolescents with alternative ways of thinking about ideals, beauty, and attractiveness. ..
- Cook C. Email interviewing: generating data with a vulnerable population. J Adv Nurs. 2012;68:1330-9 pubmed publisher..In-depth email interviews may generate rich data through a process participants deem to be of personal value. ..
- Frazier K. Reclaiming the person: intersectionality and dynamic social categories through a psychological lens. Integr Psychol Behav Sci. 2012;46:380-6 pubmed publisher..Notions of agency that complement an intersectional and systemic vision of the social world are discussed. ..
- Detloff M. Gender please, without the gender police: rethinking pain in archetypal narratives of butch, transgender, and FTM masculinity. J Lesbian Stud. 2006;10:87-105 pubmed..essay attempts to answer that question, first by outlining the "coherentist assumptions" of lesbian feminism and the forms of gender-policing that cast butch, FTM, and transgendered subjectivities as "false ..
- Gooch S. Standing firm. Nurs Stand. 2007;21:22-3 pubmed..Assertiveness is the ability to express clearly what you want, think or feel. It is as important in nurses' home lives as it is at work. ..
- Johnson K. Fragmented identities, frustrated politics: transsexuals, lesbians and 'queer'. J Lesbian Stud. 2007;11:107-25 pubmed..Rather, we should focus on 'issue' based politics that challenge heterosexist and normative gender epistemologies and practices that restrict non-conformist subjectivities. ..
- Gonsoulin M. Liberated and inclusive? An analysis of self-representation in a popular lesbian magazine. J Homosex. 2010;57:1158-73 pubmed publisher..However, the evidence also shows that the lesbian and heterosexual magazines have similar rates of objectification, but substantively, the lesbian magazine is less severe in degree of objectification. ..
- Wilkin A, Liamputtong P. The photovoice method: researching the experiences of Aboriginal health workers through photographs. Aust J Prim Health. 2010;16:231-9 pubmed publisher..The data produced were rich descriptions and narratives that were oral as well as visual. Finally, the article discusses the experience of using the photovoice method from the researcher and participants' perspective. ..
- Sadusky J, Martinson R, Lizdas K, McGee C. The Praxis Safety and Accountability Audit: practicing a "sociology for people". Violence Against Women. 2010;16:1031-44 pubmed publisher..With the Safety Audit, Pence has provided a new and distinctive tool for community change. ..
- MacIntosh J, Wuest J, Gray M, Aldous S. Effects of workplace bullying on how women work. West J Nurs Res. 2010;32:910-31 pubmed publisher..The process is influenced by women's support systems, the effects on their health, and financial circumstances. There are implications for public education, workplace policies, and health care workers. ..
- Swartz A. The home that the Woman's Building built: Cheri Gaulke and Sue Maberry construct a visual narrative of the lesbian family. J Lesbian Stud. 2010;14:201-37 pubmed publisher..They have created a kind of sexualized display sometimes inverting heteronormative conventions while other times presenting the family as a single unit, transgressive in its happiness and unity. ..
- Kolod S. The menstrual cycle as a subject of psychoanalytic inquiry. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2010;38:77-98 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should ask questions about menstrual experience to help patients contact, articulate, and give credence to all aspects of the self. ..