Summary: Persons trained in philosophical or theological ethics who work in clinical, research, public policy, or other settings where they bring their expertise to bear on the analysis of ethical dilemmas in policies or cases. (Bioethics Thesaurus)
- Agich G. The question of method in ethics consultation. Am J Bioeth. 2001;1:31-41 pubmed..The main body of the paper focuses on three elements of the question of method: canon, discipline, and history, which are treated heuristically to outline what the question of method in ethics consultation fully involves. ..
- Duval G, Sartorius L, Clarridge B, Gensler G, Danis M. What triggers requests for ethics consultations?. J Med Ethics. 2001;27 Suppl 1:i24-9 pubmed..b>Ethicists need to be prepared to mediate conflicts and handle sometimes difficult emotional situations when consulting...
- Slowther A, Bunch C, Woolnough B, Hope T. Clinical ethics support services in the UK: an investigation of the current provision of ethics support to health professionals in the UK. J Med Ethics. 2001;27 Suppl 1:i2-8 pubmed..Clinical ethics support services are developing in the UK. A number of issues have been identified that need to be addressed if such support services are to develop effectively. ..
- Aulisio M, Arnold R, Youngner S. Health care ethics consultation: nature, goals, and competencies. A position paper from the Society for Health and Human Values-Society for Bioethics Consultation Task Force on Standards for Bioethics Consultation. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:59-69 pubmed
- Porz R, Landeweer E, Widdershoven G. Theory and practice of clinical ethics support services: narrative and hermeneutical perspectives. Bioethics. 2011;25:354-60 pubmed publisher..services by reflecting on our own theoretical assumptions, methodological steps and practical experiences as ethicists, and by providing examples from our daily work...
- Schuklenk U. Professional responsibilities of biomedical scientists in public discourse. J Med Ethics. 2004;30:53-60; discussion 61-2 pubmed..The consequences of their stance affected millions of HIV infected South Africans severely. ..
- Kon A, Rich B, Sadorra C, Marcin J. Complex bioethics consultation in rural hospitals: using telemedicine to bring academic bioethicists into outlying communities. J Telemed Telecare. 2009;15:264-7 pubmed publisher..However, there is a paucity of trained clinical ethicists. While assistance from trained bioethicists may be obtained via telephone or email, such methods of contact do ..
- Verkerk M, Lindemann H. Toward a naturalized clinical ethics. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2012;22:289-306 pubmedClinical ethicists tend to see themselves as moral experts to be called in when clinicians encounter a particularly difficult moral problem...
- Kirby J, Simpson C. Deliberative engagement: an inclusive methodology for exploring professionalization. HEC Forum. 2012;24:187-201 pubmed publisherEarly on in the development of Practicing Healthcare Ethicists Exploring Professionalization (PHEEP), the founding members recognized the need to address and meet two important goals: (1) the creation of a dynamic, rigorous process to ..
- Benatar S, Fleischer T. Bioethics with blinders. Hastings Cent Rep. 2006;36:4; author reply 4-5 pubmed
- Groenhout R. Not without hope: a Reformed analysis of sickness and sin. Christ Bioeth. 2006;12:133-50 pubmed
- Cowley C. A new rejection of moral expertise. Med Health Care Philos. 2005;8:273-9 pubmed..On the other hand are the "Ethicists", who criticise the Professionals for merely stipulating science as the most appropriate paradigm for ..
- Howe E. Death-defying empathy. J Clin Ethics. 2003;14:233-45 pubmed
- Brody B, Dubler N, Blustein J, Caplan A, Kahn J, Kass N, et al. Bioethics consultation in the private sector. Hastings Cent Rep. 2002;32:14-20 pubmed
- Nelson K, Bosek M. The case of Ms. M. Should an ethics consultant serve as a patient advocate?. JONAS Healthc Law Ethics Regul. 2003;5:77-81 pubmed
- Hogle L. Bioethics research and the language of methodological uncertainty. Am J Bioeth. 2004;4:13-4; discussion W31-2 pubmed
- Sibbald B. CMAJ appoints first ethicist/ombudsman. CMAJ. 2002;166:1327 pubmed
- Chwang E, Landy D, Sharp R. Views regarding the training of ethics consultants: a survey of physicians caring for patients in ICU. J Med Ethics. 2007;33:320-4 pubmed..As ethics consultation services expand, clear expectations regarding the training of ethics consultants should be established. ..
- Carrese J, Perkins H. Ethics consultation in a culturally diverse society. Public Aff Q. 2003;17:97-120 pubmed
- Ainslie D. Bioethics and the problem of pluralism. Soc Philos Policy. 2002;19:1-28 pubmed
- de Vries R. The prepositions of bioethics. Hastings Cent Rep. 2008;38:1 p following 48 pubmed
- Orr R. Who does the ethics consultation serve?. Med Ethics (Burlingt Mass). 2004;11:10-1 pubmed
- Fiester A. Mediation and moral aporia. J Clin Ethics. 2007;18:355-6 pubmed
- Wiedermann C. Bioethics, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign, and the industry. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2005;117:442-4 pubmed
- Sisti D. There he is ... master of bioethics. Am J Bioeth. 2002;2:28-30 pubmed
- Baylis F. The Olivieri debacle: where were the heroes of bioethics?. J Med Ethics. 2004;30:44-9; discussion 50-2 pubmed..To date, nothing has been written about the silence. This article is intended as a partial remedy. As well, the article pays tribute to heretofore unsung heroes among Dr Olivieri's research colleagues. ..
- Svantesson M, Anderzen Carlsson A, Thorsen H, Kallenberg K, Ahlstrom G. Interprofessional ethics rounds concerning dialysis patients: staff's ethical reflections before and after rounds. J Med Ethics. 2008;34:407-13 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to explore the most effective leadership for reflective ethical practice. ..
- Leavitt F. Compromised autonomy, and Asian autonomy: commentaries on Glock & Goldim, and Dena Hsin-Chen Hsin. Eubios J Asian Int Bioeth. 2003;13:8 pubmed
- DeRenzo E, Vinicky J, Redman B, Lynch J, Panzarella P, Rizk S. Rounding: a model for consultation and training whose time has come. Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 2006;15:207-15 pubmed
- Schuklenk U, Gallagher J. Status, careers and influence in bioethics. Am J Bioeth. 2005;5:64-6 pubmed
- Brody H. Pens and other pharmaceutical industry gifts. Am J Bioeth. 2003;3:58-60 pubmed
- Breslin J, MacRae S, Bell J, Singer P. Top 10 health care ethics challenges facing the public: views of Toronto bioethicists. BMC Med Ethics. 2005;6:E5 pubmed..We propose several steps that can be taken to help address this key challenge. ..
- Reiter Theil S. Balancing the perspectives. The patient's role in clinical ethics consultation. Med Health Care Philos. 2003;6:247-54 pubmed..The argumentation is developed along the narrative of a real case study. Recommendations concerning the involvement of (the perspectives of) the patient or the relatives are formulated for the practice of CEC. ..
- Mansfield P. Bribes for doctors: a gift for bioethicists?. Am J Bioeth. 2003;3:47-8 pubmed
- Kaebnick G. The problem with trust and sympathy. Hastings Cent Rep. 2007;37:2 pubmed
- Machan T. Bioethics. Commentary. 2003;115:10; author reply 10, 12 pubmed
- Oppenheimer M. Who lives? Who dies? The utility of Peter Singer. Christ Century. 2002;119:24-9 pubmed
- Lawen A. Bioethics needs a distinct voice if it is to aid science. Nature. 2003;425:763 pubmed
- Jonsen A. Casuistry as methodology in clinical ethics. Theor Med. 1991;12:295-307 pubmed..In conclusion, casuistry is the exercise of prudential or practical reasoning in recognition of the relationship between maxims, circumstances and topics, as well as the relationship of paradigms to analogous cases. ..
- Dresser R. Beyond government intervention: drug companies and bioethics. Am J Bioeth. 2002;2:42-3 pubmed
- Eriksson S, Helgesson G, Segerdahl P. Provide expertise or facilitate ethical reflection? A comment on the debate between Cowley and Crosthwaite. Med Health Care Philos. 2006;9:389-92 pubmed
- Berg J, King N. Strange bedfellows? Reflections on bioethics' role in disaster response planning. Am J Bioeth. 2006;6:3-5 pubmed..Bioethicists should also be aware of potential pitfalls of overly-hasty engagement with this new field. ..
- Miller J. A code of ethics for bioethicists: prospects and problems. Am J Bioeth. 2005;5:66-8 pubmed
- Smith M, Bisanz A, Kempfer A, Adams B, Candelari T, Blackburn R. Criteria for determining the appropriate method for an ethics consultation. HEC Forum. 2004;16:95-113 pubmed
- Wasserman J, Dure L. The social psychology of amateur ethicists: blood product recall notification and the value of reflexivity. J Med Ethics. 2008;34:530-3 pubmed publisher..Thus, in the midst of calls for more training to increase the competency of ethics committees, we suggest that an additional problem of how these lay ethicists conceive of their roles also needs to be addressed.
- Berlinger N, Moses J. Pandemic flu planning in the community: what can clinical ethicists bring to the public health table?. Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 2008;17:468-70 pubmed
- . Special issue on Richard M. Zaner. Theor Med Bioeth. 2005;26:1-104 pubmed
- Clune A. Deeper problems for Noonan's probability argument against abortion: on a charitable reading of Noonan's conception criterion of humanity. Bioethics. 2011;25:280-9 pubmed publisher..I also show that there are problems with Noonan's assumptions about moral rights and the potential to become a being possessed of human reason. ..
- Nelson W, Weeks W. Rural and non-rural differences in membership of the American Society of Bioethics and Humanities. J Med Ethics. 2006;32:411-3 pubmed..The disparities that were found may have considerable effect on ethics scholarship, research, ethical committees and education, and adds to the argument that rural American communities are under-served. ..