Summary: The use of systematic methods of ethical examination, such as CASUISTRY or ETHICAL THEORY, in reasoning about moral problems.
- Scofield G. Speaking of ethical expertise. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2008;18:369-84; discussion 385-92 pubmed
- Marco C, Moskop J, Solomon R, Geiderman J, Larkin G. Gifts to physicians from the pharmaceutical industry: an ethical analysis. Ann Emerg Med. 2006;48:513-21 pubmed..We conclude with a list of summary recommendations designed to help individual physicians, educators, and administrators engage in careful reflection and analysis and make sound ethical decisions about acceptance of gifts. ..
- de Vries R, Gordijn B. Empirical ethics and its alleged meta-ethical fallacies. Bioethics. 2009;23:193-201 pubmed publisher..Moreover, it answers the question of whether empirical ethics (necessarily) commits these three basic meta-ethical fallacies. ..
- Porteri C, Galluzzi S, Geroldi C, Frisoni G. Diagnosis disclosure of prodromal Alzheimer disease-ethical analysis of two cases. Can J Neurol Sci. 2010;37:67-75 pubmed
- Kious B. Philosophy on steroids: why the anti-doping position could use a little enhancement. Theor Med Bioeth. 2008;29:213-34 pubmed publisher..In this article, I review a number of arguments in support of that claim, but show that they are not conclusive, suggesting that we do not have good reasons for thinking that doping is wrong. ..
- Thompson A, Faith K, Gibson J, Upshur R. Pandemic influenza preparedness: an ethical framework to guide decision-making. BMC Med Ethics. 2006;7:E12 pubmed..The framework will require re-evaluation and refinement and we hope that this paper will generate feedback on how to make it even more robust. ..
- ..It is also shown that all three versions are beset with problems the least serious of which is distinctiveness from other approaches to moral problems in health care. ..
- Leget C, Borry P, de Vries R. 'Nobody tosses a dwarf!' The relation between the empirical and the normative reexamined. Bioethics. 2009;23:226-35 pubmed publisher..In each stage, we explore the perspective from both the empirical (sociological) and the normative ethical point of view. We conclude by applying our five-stage critical applied ethics to the example of dwarf tossing. ..
- Gibson B, Secker B, Rolfe D, Wagner F, Parke B, Mistry B. Disability and dignity-enabling home environments. Soc Sci Med. 2012;74:211-9 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to undertake an ethical analysis of what constitute an 'adequate' home environment for adults with significant mobility disabilities...
- Leung J, Pang S. Ethical analysis of non-medical fetal ultrasound. Nurs Ethics. 2009;16:637-46 pubmed publisher..As non-medical fetal ultrasound has aroused very significant public attention, a thorough ethical analysis of this topic is essential...
- Frith L. Symbiotic empirical ethics: a practical methodology. Bioethics. 2012;26:198-206 pubmed publisher..This is a practical methodology for integrating theory and practice that can be used in empirical studies, one that uses ethical theory both to explore the data and to draw normative conclusions. ..
- Gather J, Vollmann J. Physician-assisted suicide of patients with dementia. A medical ethical analysis with a special focus on patient autonomy. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2013;36:444-53 pubmed publisher..If, after due deliberation, the patient still wishes assistance with suicide, a transparent and documented assessment of competence should be conducted by a professional psychiatrist. ..
- Hofmann B. Stuck in the middle: the many moral challenges with bariatric surgery. Am J Bioeth. 2010;10:3-11 pubmed publisher..Taking the reviewed ethical issues into account is important when meeting persons eligible for bariatric surgery, as well as in the assessment of and decision making on surgery for obesity. ..
- Asscher J. The moral distinction between killing and letting die in medical cases. Bioethics. 2008;22:278-85 pubmed publisher..Medical examples are frequently complicated because patients' autonomous choices impact upon medical practitioners' surrounding responsibility. ..
- Clark P, Eisenman J, Szapor S. Mandatory neonatal male circumcision in Sub-Saharan Africa: medical and ethical analysis. Med Sci Monit. 2007;13:RA205-13 pubmed..To deny individuals access to this effective therapy is to deny them the dignity and respect all persons deserve. Neonatal male circumcision is medically necessary and ethically imperative. ..
- Saarni S, Braunack Mayer A, Hofmann B, van der Wilt G. Different methods for ethical analysis in health technology assessment: an empirical study. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2011;27:305-12 pubmed publisherb>Ethical analysis can highlight important ethical issues related to implementing a technology, values inherent in the technology itself, and value-decisions underlying the health technology assessment (HTA) process...
- Jarvie J, Malone R. Children's secondhand smoke exposure in private homes and cars: an ethical analysis. Am J Public Health. 2008;98:2140-5 pubmed publisher..We reviewed legislation and court cases related to such initiatives and used a principlist approach to analyze the ethical implications of policies banning smoking in private cars and homes in which children are present. ..
- Upshur R. Principles for the justification of public health intervention. Can J Public Health. 2002;93:101-3 pubmed..Further research and debate on the appropriate ethics for public health are required. ..
- Resnik D. Exploitation in biomedical research. Theor Med Bioeth. 2003;24:233-59 pubmed..Calling a research project exploitative does not end the debate about the merits of the study but invites one to ask additional questions about how the study is exploitative, and whether the study is justifiable nevertheless. ..
- Miller F. Sham surgery: an ethical analysis. Am J Bioeth. 2003;3:41-8 pubmed..reported results of a sham-controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for arthritis of the knee, I present an ethical analysis that focuses on the methodological rationale for use of sham surgery, risk-benefit assessment, and informed ..
- Jansen L. Hastening death and the boundaries of the self. Bioethics. 2006;20:105-11 pubmed..The constitution of the self is fixed in large measure by our concepts and social conventions, and these do not always provide determinate grounds for delimiting the boundaries of the self. ..
- Roberts M, Reich M. Ethical analysis in public health. Lancet. 2002;359:1055-9 pubmed..Health professionals need enhanced skills in applied philosophy to improve the coherence, transparency, and quality of public deliberations over ethical issues inherent in health policy. ..
- Borry P, Schotsmans P, Dierickx K. What is the role of empirical research in bioethical reflection and decision-making? An ethical analysis. Med Health Care Philos. 2004;7:41-53 pubmed..It can also be useful, however, as a sociology of bioethics in which the discipline of bioethics itself becomes an object of research. ..
- Christie C, Bowen D, Paarmann C. Effectiveness of faculty training to enhance clinical evaluation of student competence in ethical reasoning and professionalism. J Dent Educ. 2007;71:1048-57 pubmed..This article shares one approach for enhancing clinical faculty's authentic evaluation of student competence in ethical reasoning and professionalism. ..
- Schloss A. A systematic format for resolving ethical issues in clinical periodontics. J Am Coll Dent. 2012;79:42-7 pubmed
- Johansson K, Norheim O. Problems with prioritization: exploring ethical solutions to inequalities in HIV care. Am J Bioeth. 2011;11:32-40 pubmed publisher..This type of ethical sensitivity analysis may clarify the ethics of health policy choice. ..
- Liao S, Sheehan M, Clarke S. The duty to disclose adverse clinical trial results. Am J Bioeth. 2009;9:24-32 pubmed publisher..However, we also develop a proposal that enables commercial interests to be protected, while promoting the duty to disclose adverse clinical trial results. ..
- McLeod C, Baylis F. Feminists on the inalienability of human embryos. Hypatia. 2006;21:1-14 pubmed..Overall, feminists should avoid claims about embryos' being inalienable to persons in arguments for or against the commodification of human embryos. ..
- Capron A, Mauron A, Elger B, Boggio A, Ganguli Mitra A, Biller Andorno N. Ethical norms and the international governance of genetic databases and biobanks: findings from an international study. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2009;19:101-24 pubmed..The paper then summarizes key lessons to be drawn from the findings and concludes by reflecting on the importance of such empirical research to inform future governance norms and practices. ..
- Crockett R, Wilkinson T, Marteau T. Social patterning of screening uptake and the impact of facilitating informed choices: psychological and ethical analyses. Health Care Anal. 2008;16:17-30 pubmed publisher..The paper concludes with a discussion of the ethics of paternalism. ..
- van Thiel G, van Delden J. The justificatory power of moral experience. J Med Ethics. 2009;35:234-7 pubmed publisher..In our strategy, each element can gain or lose justificatory power when it is tested in a reasoning process that meets several criteria. ..
- Palm E, Nordgren A, Verweij M, Collste G. Ethically sound technology? Guidelines for interactive ethical assessment of personal health monitoring. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;187:105-14 pubmed..If the assessment is conducted before the technology has reached the market - preferably in close interaction with developers and users - ethically sound technologies may be obtained. ..
- Kosta E, Pitkänen O, Niemelä M, Kaasinen E. Mobile-centric ambient intelligence in health- and homecare-anticipating ethical and legal challenges. Sci Eng Ethics. 2010;16:303-23 pubmed publisher..A legal and ethical analysis of the scenarios is conducted, which reveals various conflicting interests...
- Haire B, Kaldor J, Jordens C. How good is "good enough"? The case for varying standards of evidence according to need for new interventions in HIV prevention. Am J Bioeth. 2012;12:21-30 pubmed publisher..Using the recent trials and their contexts as case studies, we examine the basis for these decisions, which will potentially delay access to scientific innovation to the people who are most urgently in need of it. ..
- Hine K. How to understand a woman's obligations to the fetus in unwanted pregnancies. J Bioeth Inq. 2013;10:239-47 pubmed publisher..I argue that this principle is false. I suggest modified versions of this principle but argue that, even on the most plausible version, RO does not persuade. ..
- Nair Collins M. Brain death, paternalism, and the language of "death". Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2013;23:53-104 pubmed..If the paternalism is not justified, then either the language used to describe organ transplantation must change radically, or it would seem to follow that much of the transplant enterprise lacks ethical justification...
- Pettersen T. The ethics of care: normative structures and empirical implications. Health Care Anal. 2011;19:51-64 pubmed publisher..Finally, I discuss political implications that may emanate from the ethics of care and the concept of mature care. ..
- Ballantyne A. How to do research fairly in an unjust world. Am J Bioeth. 2010;10:26-35 pubmed publisher..A global tax on international research would provide a mechanism for implementing the maximin account of fair benefits. This model has the capacity to ensure fair benefits and thereby prevent exploitation in international research. ..
- Kim M. Oversight framework over oocyte procurement for somatic cell nuclear transfer: comparative analysis of the Hwang Woo Suk case under South Korean bioethics law and U.S. guidelines for human embryonic stem cell research. Theor Med Bioeth. 2009;30:367-84 pubmed publisher..We also suggest additional regulations to protect those who provide oocytes for research in South Korea. ..
- De Oliveira R, Oselka G, Cohen C, Costa S. Clinical bioethics. J Int Bioethique. 2008;19:157-64, 204 pubmed..These discussions entail analysis of not only the facts and circumstances surrounding each case, but also the values which lead to patients, health teams and institutions opting to recommend, accept or refuse a given conduct. ..
- Galarneau C. Blood donation, deferral, and discrimination: FDA donor deferral policy for men who have sex with men. Am J Bioeth. 2010;10:29-39 pubmed publisher..I note significant similarities in the 1980s policy of deferring Haitians, suggesting an historical pattern of discrimination in FDA deferral policy. Finally, I point to changes needed to move toward a nondiscriminatory deferral policy. ..
- Fenwick A. Are guidelines for genetic testing of children necessary?. Fam Cancer. 2010;9:23-5 pubmed publisher..It analyses the underpinning arguments used to support this position and asks whether, given some of the problems with these, the guidelines are really necessary. ..
- Catlin A, Volat D. When the fetus is alive but the mother is not: critical care somatic support as an accepted model of care in the twenty-first century?. Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am. 2009;21:267-76 pubmed publisher..This article provides an ethical analysis and discusses the critical care nursing needs of the maternal patient.
- ..The conclusion is that, when ethically legitimate, nudging offers an important new paradigm for informed consent, with a special potential to overcome the classical dilemma between paternalistic beneficence and respect for autonomy. ..
- Gunderman R. The golden rule. J Am Coll Radiol. 2005;2:76-8 pubmed
- Cutcliffe J, Links P. Whose life is it anyway? An exploration of five contemporary ethical issues that pertain to the psychiatric nursing care of the person who is suicidal: part two. Int J Ment Health Nurs. 2008;17:246-54 pubmed publisher..Lastly, given the content of current mental health nurses Codes of Ethics and Professional Codes of Conduct, there may be a need to revisit these codes in light of contemporary and changing views of assisted suicide. ..
- Snyder J, Crooks V, Johnston R, Kingsbury P. Beyond sun, sand, and stitches: assigning responsibility for the harms of medical tourism. Bioethics. 2013;27:233-242 pubmed..We use a political responsibility model to develop a decision-making process for individual medical tourists and conclude that more information on the effects of MT must be developed to help patients engage in ethical MT. ..
- Crozier G, Schulte Hostedde A. Towards improving the ethics of ecological research. Sci Eng Ethics. 2015;21:577-94 pubmed publisher..We illustrate our argument with information gathered from a survey of ecologists conducted at the 2013 meeting of the Canadian Society of Ecology and Evolution. ..