Summary: Clusters of topics that fall within the domain of BIOETHICS, the field of study concerned with value questions that arise in biomedicine and health care delivery.
- Benatar D. The trouble with universal declarations. Dev World Bioeth. 2005;5:220-4 pubmed..After discussing these problems I ask whether such declarations could nonetheless do any good. ..
- Hellsten S. Global bioethics: utopia or reality?. Dev World Bioeth. 2008;8:70-81 pubmed
- Appel J. When the boss turns pusher: a proposal for employee protections in the age of cosmetic neurology. J Med Ethics. 2008;34:616-8 pubmed publisher..This paper offers one model for such legislation, based upon a proposed US law, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, to address precisely this particular pitfall of the impending neuroscience revolution. ..
- Kimmelman J. The therapeutic misconception at 25: treatment, research, and confusion. Hastings Cent Rep. 2007;37:36-42 pubmed..They exaggerate the distinction between research and treatment revealing problems in the foundations of research ethics and possibly weakening informed consent. ..
- Levitt M. Public consultation in bioethics. What's the point of asking the public when they have neither scientific nor ethical expertise?. Health Care Anal. 2003;11:15-25 pubmed..An alternative and more recent approach is to find out what the public(s) do know and understand and to see how experts can learn from them in order to get a fuller view of technology in use. ..
- Hyun I. The bioethics of stem cell research and therapy. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:71-5 pubmed publisher..Each of these issues is discussed as I summarize the past, present, and future bioethical issues in stem cell research.
- Kelly S. Public bioethics and publics: consensus, boundaries, and participation in biomedical science policy. Sci Technol Human Values. 2003;28:339-64 pubmed..The theoretical discussion is examined in the case of the U.S. Human Embryo Research Panel. ..
- Hyder A, Wali S, Khan A, Teoh N, Kass N, Dawson L. Ethical review of health research: a perspective from developing country researchers. J Med Ethics. 2004;30:68-72 pubmed..This survey indicates the need for the ethical review of collaborative research in both US and host countries. It also reflects a desire for focused capacity development in supporting ethical review of research. ..
- Lopez J. How sociology can save bioethics . . . maybe. Sociol Health Illn. 2004;26:875-96 pubmed..The paper concludes by suggesting that sociologists and ethnographers need to reflect on the ways in which they might democratically secure legitimacy for their own claims in the field of social ethics. ..
- Farah M, Illes J, Cook Deegan R, Gardner H, Kandel E, King P, et al. Neurocognitive enhancement: what can we do and what should we do?. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2004;5:421-5 pubmed
- Wynne B. Public engagement as a means of restoring public trust in science--hitting the notes, but missing the music?. Community Genet. 2006;9:211-20 pubmed
- Appelbaum P, Lidz C. Twenty-five years of therapeutic misconception. Hastings Cent Rep. 2008;38:5-6; author reply 6-7 pubmed
- Blackburn E, Rowley J. Reason as our guide. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E116 pubmed
- Racine E, Gareau I, Doucet H, Laudy D, Jobin G, Schraedley Desmond P. Hyped biomedical science or uncritical reporting? Press coverage of genomics (1992-2001) in Québec. Soc Sci Med. 2006;62:1278-90 pubmed..in print media? And, given limited coverage of ethical issues, and concerns about bioethics being too narrowly focused, should public debates on frontier biomedical science be promoted to broaden the scope of biomedical ethics? ..
- Kim S, Wall I, Stanczyk A, de Vries R. Assessing the public's views in research ethics controversies: deliberative democracy and bioethics as natural allies. J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics. 2009;4:3-16 pubmed publisher..The potential pitfalls of DD and the means of minimizing them as well as future research directions are also discussed. ..
- Fairchild A, Bayer R. Public health. Ethics and the conduct of public health surveillance. Science. 2004;303:631-2 pubmed
- Callahan D. Individual good and common good: a communitarian approach to bioethics. Perspect Biol Med. 2003;46:496-507 pubmed..But many bioethical issues can not reasonably be reduced to questions of individualism and choice only...
- Andrews L, Buenger N, Bridge J, Rosenow L, Stoney D, Gaensslen R, et al. Ethics. Constructing ethical guidelines for biohistory. Science. 2004;304:215-6 pubmed
- Cummins D. The professional status of bioethics consultation. Theor Med Bioeth. 2002;23:19-43 pubmed..During the past decade healthcare ethics consultation has been moving along this continuum toward greater professional status. ..
- Childress J. Human cloning and human dignity: the report of the President's Council on Bioethics. Hastings Cent Rep. 2003;33:15-8 pubmed
- Corrigan O. Empty ethics: the problem with informed consent. Sociol Health Illn. 2003;25:768-92 pubmed..My arguments are substantiated by qualitative interview data drawn from a study I conducted on the process of consent as experienced by participants in clinical drug trials. ..
- Kuczewski M. The common morality in communitarian thought: reflective consensus in public policy. Theor Med Bioeth. 2009;30:45-54 pubmed publisher..The common morality forms the basis of building an implicit consensus that is available to and reaffirmed by the shared reflections of the citizenry. ..
- Santosuosso A. Constitution and common law in bioethics. Bioethics. 2001;15:485-90 pubmed..Today's first duty is to raise the consciousness of judges as to how common their problems are and how often their rulings are similar to each other's. ..
- ..Fetal surgery poses challenges for an autonomy-based system of ethics. However, it is risky to circumvent these challenges by restricting the choices open to pregnant women, even when these choices appear excessively altruistic. ..
- Feitosa S, Garrafa V, Cornelli G, Tardivo C, Carvalho S. Bioethics, culture and infanticide in Brazilian indigenous communities: the Zuruahá case. Cad Saude Publica. 2010;26:853-65 pubmed
- Franková V, Tesínová J, Brdicka R. [National Database of Genotypes--ethical and legal issues]. Cas Lek Cesk. 2011;150:372-5; discussion 376-7 pubmed..The function of proposed database has to be governed in concordance with the Czech legislation together with solving ethical problems. ..
- Figueroa G. [Bioethics today: Heidegger’s questions]. Rev Med Chil. 2011;139:1378-83 pubmed publisher..The founding ground of bioethics may be to listen to this primary being-guilty prior to the derived guilts, e.g. faults, deficiencies and shortcomings of specific daily actions. ..
- Grady C. Enduring and emerging challenges of informed consent. N Engl J Med. 2015;372:855-62 pubmed publisher..The author summarizes emerging standards for informed consent as the underpinning of ethical research in humans. ..
- Belaisch Allart J. [Access to Assisted Reproductive Technologies, surrogacy, same sex couple parenting]. Gynecol Obstet Fertil. 2012;40 Suppl 1:3-7 pubmed publisher..It is still forbidden to take charge of lesbian couples or gay-male couples, surrogacy is prohibited. The only change is that unmarried couples have no more to prove they live together since 2 years. ..
- Hansra N, Shinkai K, Fox L. Ethical issues in inpatient consultative dermatology. Clin Dermatol. 2012;30:496-500 pubmed publisher..Other inpatient services, colleagues, and ethics committees are useful resources for inpatient dermatologists faced with difficult ethical situations. ..
- Lairumbi G, Michael P, Fitzpatrick R, English M. Ethics in practice: the state of the debate on promoting the social value of global health research in resource poor settings particularly Africa. BMC Med Ethics. 2011;12:22 pubmed publisher..Further developments in global research ethics require more reflection, paying attention to the practical realities of implementing the ethical principles in real world context. ..
- Damy S, Camargo R, Chammas R, Figueiredo L. [Fundamental aspects on animal research as applied to experimental surgery]. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2010;56:103-11 pubmed
- Czarny M, Faden R, Sugarman J. Bioethics and professionalism in popular television medical dramas. J Med Ethics. 2010;36:203-6 pubmed publisherTelevision medical dramas sometimes depict medical professionalism and bioethical issues, but their nature and extent are unclear...
- Bruce C, Smith M, Hizlan S, Sharp R. A systematic review of activities at a high-volume ethics consultation service. J Clin Ethics. 2011;22:151-64 pubmed..Our hope in sharing the inner workings of the ECS at the Cleveland Clinic is to promote dialogue on common practices and approaches across medical institutions that support ethics consultation. ..
- Varelius J. Voluntary euthanasia, physician-assisted suicide, and the right to do wrong. HEC Forum. 2013;25:229-43 pubmed publisher..I maintain that the argument does not provide adequate support for such a right to VE and PAS. ..
- Santana J, Garrafa V. [Cooperation in health from the bioethical perspective]. Cien Saude Colet. 2013;18:129-37 pubmed
- Abdur Rashid K, Furber S, Abdul Basser T. Lifting the veil: a typological survey of the methodological features of Islamic ethical reasoning on biomedical issues. Theor Med Bioeth. 2013;34:81-93 pubmed publisher..meta-ethical tools and institutional processes that traditional Islamic ethicists apply when deliberating on bioethical issues. We present a typology of these methodological elements, giving particular attention to the meta-ethical ..
- Oliveira R, Collares T, Smith K, Collares T, Seixas F. The use of genes for performance enhancement: doping or therapy?. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2011;44:1194-201 pubmed..Nevertheless, some bioethicists have argued for a liberal approach to gene doping. ..
- DeRouen M, McCormick J, Owen Smith J, Scott C. The race is on: human embryonic stem cell research goes global. Stem Cell Rev. 2012;8:1043-7 pubmed publisher..Over time, non-US labs have freely used lines on the US registries, while federally funded US scientists have been limited to using those lines approved by the NIH. ..
- Lath N, Rai K, Alshafie T. Open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm in a centenarian. J Vasc Surg. 2011;53:216-8 pubmed publisher..This case raises an important ethical issue of human life expectancy and the appropriateness of high-risk surgery on a centenarian. ..
- Pavlish C, Brown Saltzman K, Fine A, Jakel P. Making the call: a proactive ethics framework. HEC Forum. 2013;25:269-83 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the framework aims to encourage innovative research and novel ways of collaborating to reduce such conflicts and the moral distress that often results. ..
- Ajayi R, Dibosa Osadolor O. Stakeholders' views on ethical issues in the practice of in-vitro fertilisation and embryo transfer in Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health. 2011;15:73-80 pubmed..The forum recommended that it is important that regulatory guidelines are put in place to regulate the practice of IVF in Nigeria and to protect patients' rights and safety. ..
- White R, Williams S. Amygdaloid neurosurgery for aggressive behaviour, Sydney, 1967-1977: societal, scientific, ethical and other factors. Australas Psychiatry. 2009;17:410-6 pubmed publisher..Lessons derived from an historical analysis of the ANP should assist the medical profession develop appropriate approaches to recent advances in NPD, including deep brain stimulation, new ablative procedures and stem cell implantation. ..