Summary: A love or pursuit of wisdom. A search for the underlying causes and principles of reality. (Webster, 3d ed)
- Schummer J. The philosophy of chemistry. Endeavour. 2003;27:37-41 pubmed..Since the early 1990s, the situation has changed drastically, such that philosophy of chemistry is now one of the most flourishing fields in the philosophy of science, like the philosophy of ..
- Gambrill E. Evidence-based (informed) macro practice: process and philosophy. J Evid Based Soc Work. 2008;5:423-52 pubmed..The process and philosophy of evidence-informed practice and care as described in original sources suggest a decision-making process ..
- Wildes K. The crisis of medicine: philosophy and the social construction of medicine. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2001;11:71-86 pubmedDuring the past decade there has been a debate about the field of philosophy of medicine. The debate has focused on fundamental questions about whether the field exists and the nature of the field...
- Mackinejad K, Sharifi V. Wittgenstein's philosophy and a dimensional approach to the classification of mental disorders -- a preliminary scheme. Psychopathology. 2006;39:126-9 pubmed..Some of his basic concepts in his Philosophical Investigations, such as 'family resemblances', 'grammar' and 'language-game' and their relations to the concept of mental disorder are explored. ..
- Colliver J. Constructivism: the view of knowledge that ended philosophy or a theory of learning and instruction?. Teach Learn Med. 2002;14:49-51 pubmed..This proposal (a) distinguishes between these two usages of constructivism and (b) concludes that constructivism is not a theory of learning and thus as such has little to offer that might be of value to medical education. ..
- Stotz K, Griffiths P. Biohumanities: rethinking the relationship between biosciences, philosophy and history of science, and society. Q Rev Biol. 2008;83:37-45 pubmed..quot; We illustrate these ideas with two recent "experimental philosophy" studies of the concept of the gene and of the concept of innateness conducted by ourselves and ..
- Parnas J, Sass L, Zahavi D. Recent developments in philosophy of psychopathology. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2008;21:578-84 pubmedTo survey recent developments in the English-language philosophy of psychopathology. First, we present books - by Gallagher and Zahavi (2008) and by Thompson (2007) -that integrate phenomenology with cognitive science and neuroscience...
- Ghorbani N, Ghramaleki A, Watson P. Philosophy, self-knowledge, and personality in Iranian teachers and students of philosophy. J Psychol. 2005;139:81-95 pubmedLike psychology, philosophy apparently operates from a commitment to the belief that self-knowledge should be a goal of disciplinary and personal development...
- Van Regenmortel M. Reductionism and complexity in molecular biology. Scientists now have the tools to unravel biological and overcome the limitations of reductionism. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:1016-20 pubmed
- Giordano J. Moral agency in pain medicine: philosophy, practice and virtue. Pain Physician. 2006;9:41-6 pubmed..This paper asserts that there is a core philosophy of medicine that reflects the intellectual and moral quality of the healing relationship...
- Kattan M, Gonen M. The prediction philosophy in statistics. Urol Oncol. 2008;26:316-9 pubmed publisher..The reporting of P values is de-emphasized from the prediction philosophy perspective, and incremental predictive accuracy has become the metric of choice...
- Davis M. What's philosophically interesting about engineering ethics?. Sci Eng Ethics. 2003;9:353-61 pubmed..confusions in engineering ethics connect with philosophically interesting work in moral theory, political philosophy, and philosophy of science. Work in these areas may help with the philosophical problems of engineering ethics...
- Bruhn J. Interdisciplinary research: a philosophy, art form, artifact or antidote?. Integr Physiol Behav Sci. 2000;35:58-66 pubmedInterdisciplinary research has many faces--a philosophy, an art form, an artifact, and an antidote. It is all of these things because interdisciplinary research attempts to ask questions in ways that cut across disciplinary boundaries...
- Djulbegovic B, Guyatt G, Ashcroft R. Epistemologic inquiries in evidence-based medicine. Cancer Control. 2009;16:158-68 pubmed..we challenge this critical view of EBM by examining how EBM fits into broad epistemological debates within the philosophy of science. We consider how EBM relates to some classical debates regarding the nature of science and knowledge...
- Baneyx A. "Publish or Perish" as citation metrics used to analyze scientific output in the humanities: International case studies in economics, geography, social sciences, philosophy, and history. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2008;56:363-71 pubmed publisher..The fields of economics, geography, social sciences, philosophy, and history are focused on to illustrate the differences of results between these two databases...
- Frings M, Maschke M, Timmann D. Cerebellum and cognition: viewed from philosophy of mind. Cerebellum. 2007;6:328-34 pubmed publisher..Instead, the hypothesis of non-motor functions of the cerebellum will be viewed from the position of the philosophy of mind...
- Niebrój L, Olejniczak M, Kruźlak A. [The issue of autonomy in medical ethics: philosophy of Karol Wojty?a]. Przegl Lek. 2007;64:1045-8 pubmed..The aim of this article was to find out if the philosophy of Karol Wojtyla could provide--interesting from the bioethical point of view--insights into understanding of ..
- Erren T, Cullen P, Erren M, Bourne P. Ten simple rules for doing your best research, according to Hamming. PLoS Comput Biol. 2007;3:1839-40 pubmed
- Bloch H. Francois Magendie, Claude Bernard, and the interrelation of science, history, and philosophy. South Med J. 1989;82:1259-61 pubmed
- ..Consequently, traditional philosophical questions about mind and morality have been steered in new directions. ..
- Papadimos T, Marco A. The obligation of physicians to medical outliers: a Kantian and Hegelian synthesis. BMC Med Ethics. 2004;5:E3 pubmed..A thoughtful team approach by medical practices and their institutions, involving both clinicians and non-clinicians, should be pursued. ..
- Cutchin M. Using Deweyan philosophy to rename and reframe adaptation-to-environment. Am J Occup Ther. 2004;58:303-12; discussion 313-6 pubmedJohn Dewey's philosophy has been suggested as having been formative in the philosophy of occupational therapy, but the occupational therapy literature offers few analyses of Dewey's work and its implications for the discipline...
- Faith D, Trueman J. Towards an inclusive philosophy for phylogenetic inference. Syst Biol. 2001;50:331-50 pubmed..of Popperian corroboration that is decoupled from the popular falsificationist interpretation of Popperian philosophy. Any phylogenetic inference method can provide Popperian "evidence" or "test statements" ..
- Northoff G. Why do we need a philosophy of the brain?. Trends Cogn Sci. 2004;8:484-5 pubmed
- Faith D. Science and philosophy for molecular systematics: which is the cart and which is the horse?. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2006;38:553-7 pubmed
- Buchanan D. Perspective: a new ethic for health promotion: reflections on a philosophy of health education for the 21st century. Health Educ Behav. 2006;33:290-304 pubmed..The article then describes an alternative way of thinking about the purposes of health education. In pursuing a philosophy of education, the purpose of research and practice would be to clarify basic social values and to strengthen one'..
- Koshland D. Philosophy of science. The Cha-Cha-Cha Theory of Scientific Discovery. Science. 2007;317:761-2 pubmed
- Hahn U, Harris A, Corner A. Public Reception of Climate Science: Coherence, Reliability, and Independence. Top Cogn Sci. 2016;8:180-95 pubmed publisher..Little consideration has been given, however, to recent formal results within philosophy concerning the relationship between truth, the reliability of evidence sources, the coherence of multiple pieces ..
- Vlasova O, Beveridge A. Karl Jaspers' phenomenology in the light of histological and X-ray metaphors. Hist Psychiatry. 2014;25:103-11 pubmed publisher..In Jaspers' daily life, he would have been familiar with microscopes and X-ray machines. ..
- Angel S. Grasping the experience of the other from an interview: self-transposition in use. Int J Qual Stud Health Well-being. 2013;8:20634 pubmed publisher..To exemplify this, the perception of the interviewer is explored, and here Heidegger's work on self-transposition has proved to be helpful. ..
- Weaving C, Roberts S. Checking in: an analysis of the (lack of) body checking in women's ice hockey. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2012;83:470-8 pubmed
- Morey R, Romeijn J, Rouder J. The humble Bayesian: model checking from a fully Bayesian perspective. Br J Math Stat Psychol. 2013;66:68-75 pubmed publisher..A humble Bayesian checks her models and critically assesses whether the Bayesian statistical inferences can reasonably be called upon to support real-world inferences. ..
- Lewis A. Downward causes and appropriate abstractions: Alternative argument for Noble's position. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2013;111:66-8 pubmed publisher..My aim is to give the reader another way to think about causal talk within the framework of Systems Biology. ..
- O Malley M, MÃ¼ller Wille S. The cell as nexus: connections between the history, philosophy and science of cell biology. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2010;41:169-71 pubmed publisher..This perspective focuses less on the cell as a well-defined, stable object and places more emphasis on its role as a mediator of fundamental biological processes. ..
- Vanzo A. Experiment and speculation in seventeenth-century Italy: The case of Geminiano Montanari. Stud Hist Philos Sci. 2016;56:52-61 pubmed publisher..Montanari's views are used as a case study to assess recent claims concerning early modern experimental philosophy. Having presented the distinctive tenets of seventeenth-century experimental philosophers, I argue that ..
- Cutting J, Musalek M. The nature of delusion: psychologically explicable? psychologically inexplicable? philosophically explicable? Part 2. Hist Psychiatry. 2016;27:21-37 pubmed publisher..This second part puts forward informed philosophical thesis whereby delusion can be explained within the philosophical movement known as phenomenology and, in particular, Max Scheler's version of this. ..
- Rouppe van der Voort M, van Merode G, Veraart H. [Sustainable process improvement with application of 'lean philosophy']. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2013;157:A5541 pubmedProcess improvement is increasingly being implemented, particularly with the aid of 'lean philosophy'. This management philosophy aims to improve quality by reducing 'wastage'...
- MacKenzie A. Synthetic biology and the technicity of biofuels. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2013;44:190-8 pubmed publisher..The broader argument here is that when we seek to identify the newness of disciplines, their newness might be less epistemic and more logistic. ..
- ..quot; But widespread as this viewpoint is, it directly contradicts Bayesian philosophy of probability, which views probabilities as degrees of belief rather than relative frequencies, and explicitly ..
- Agapakis C, Tolaas S. Smelling in multiple dimensions. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2012;16:569-75 pubmed publisher..In everyday language, in the philosophy of aesthetics, and in the lab, this low opinion of odors means that smells are often characterized simply along ..
- Tekur P, Nagarathna R, Chametcha S, Hankey A, Nagendra H. A comprehensive yoga programs improves pain, anxiety and depression in chronic low back pain patients more than exercise: an RCT. Complement Ther Med. 2012;20:107-18 pubmed publisher..consisted of specific asanas and pranayamas for back pain, meditation, yogic counselling, and lectures on yoga philosophy. The control group program included physical therapy exercises for back pain, and matching counselling and ..
- Bassiri N. Material translations in the Cartesian brain. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2012;43:244-55 pubmed publisher..It argues initially that Descartes' combined metaphysics and natural philosophy yield a distinctly human subject who is rational, willful, but also a living and embodied being in the world, ..
- Conti N. [Positivism in Argentina and its scope in Latin America]. Vertex. 2011;22:271-80 pubmed..Finally, emphasis is made on the incidence of positivism in other countries in the region observing in every case the same ideological bias found in the Argentinean case, tinged by cultural and socio-political variables. ..
- Matsuba M, Murzyn T, Hart D. A model of moral identity: applications for education. Adv Child Dev Behav. 2011;40:181-207 pubmed
- Wolfe C. Do organisms have an ontological status?. Hist Philos Life Sci. 2010;32:195-231 pubmed..or is it philosophical? Or, if one looks at it from within the relatively recent field or sub-field of philosophy of biology, is it a central, or at least legitimate category therein, or should it be dispensed with? In any ..
- Griffiths P, Tabery J. Developmental systems theory: what does it explain, and how does it explain it?. Adv Child Dev Behav. 2013;44:65-94 pubmed..Third, we distill out two core concepts that have defined DSTthroughout its history: epigenesis and developmental dynamics. Finally, we turn to how DST explains, arguing that it explains by elucidating mechanisms. ..
- Ballesteros Llompart J. [Beyond eugenics: posthumanism as Homo patiens denials]. Cuad Bioet. 2012;23:15-23 pubmed
- Arnold D. Nehruvian science and postcolonial India. Isis. 2013;104:360-70 pubmed
- Mellick S. Sir Kenelm Digby (1603-1665): diplomat, entrepreneur, privateer, duellist, scientist and philosopher. ANZ J Surg. 2011;81:911-4 pubmed publisher..The Cowlishaw Library holds a 1659 5th edition copy of this remarkable book, with Digby's name on the spine. Truly, Digby must qualify as a Renaissance man. ..
- Ryff C. Psychological well-being revisited: advances in the science and practice of eudaimonia. Psychother Psychosom. 2014;83:10-28 pubmed publisher..A recurrent and increasingly important theme is resilience - the capacity to maintain or regain well-being in the face of adversity. Implications for future research and practice are considered. ..