Summary: Persons who donate their services.
- Joshi D, Sthapit R, Brouwer M. Peer-led active tuberculosis case-finding among people living with HIV: lessons from Nepal. Bull World Health Organ. 2017;95:135-139 pubmed publisher..b>Volunteers took part in a short training course, after which they attempted to contact people living with HIV through ..
- Gonzalez Izal M, Lusa Cadore E, Izquierdo M. Muscle conduction velocity, surface electromyography variables, and echo intensity during concentric and eccentric fatigue. Muscle Nerve. 2014;49:389-97 pubmed
- Wilkinson M, Moore A. Inducements revisited. Bioethics. 1999;13:114-30 pubmed
- Valenzuela T, Roe D, Nichol G, Clark L, Spaite D, Hardman R. Outcomes of rapid defibrillation by security officers after cardiac arrest in casinos. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:1206-9 pubmed..Intervals of no more than three minutes from collapse to defibrillation are necessary to achieve the highest survival rates. ..
- Söderhamn U, Flateland S, Fensli M, Skaar R. To be a trained and supported volunteer in palliative care - a phenomenological study. BMC Palliat Care. 2017;16:18 pubmed publisherIt has been found that including volunteers in palliative care is a positive contribution to seriously ill patients. It is, however, recommended that the volunteers are trained and supported...
- Correia S, Palser A, Elgueta Karstegl C, Middeldorp J, Ramayanti O, Cohen J, et al. Natural Variation of Epstein-Barr Virus Genes, Proteins, and Primary MicroRNA. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..By focusing on variation in LMP1, Zp, gp350, EBNA1, and the BART miRNA cluster 2, new relationships with the known type 1/type 2 strains are demonstrated, and a novel classification of EBNA1 and the BART miRNAs is proposed. ..
- Gura T. Citizen science: amateur experts. Nature. 2013;496:259-61 pubmed
- Kingham T, Price R, Casey K, Rogers S, Kushner A. Beyond volunteerism: augmenting surgical care in resource-limited settings. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2011;96:16-21 pubmed
- Andersen K, Fjerstad M, Basnett I, Neupane S, Acre V, Sharma S, et al. Determination of medical abortion eligibility by women and community health volunteers in Nepal: A toolkit evaluation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178248 pubmed publisherTo determine if pregnant, literate women and female community health volunteers (FCHVs) in Nepal can accurately determine a woman's eligibility for medical abortion (MA) using a toolkit, compared to comprehensive abortion care (CAC) ..
- Cichowlas J, Chen Y. Volunteer prisoners provide hospice to dying inmates. Ann Health Law. 2010;19:127-32 pubmed
- Tumusiime D, Agaba G, Kyomuhangi T, Finch J, Kabakyenga J, MacLeod S. Introduction of mobile phones for use by volunteer community health workers in support of integrated community case management in Bushenyi District, Uganda: development and implementation process. BMC Health Serv Res. 2014;14 Suppl 1:S2 pubmed publisher
- Gorski S, Piotrowicz K, Rewiuk K, Halicka M, Kalwak W, Rybak P, et al. Nonpharmacological Interventions Targeted at Delirium Risk Factors, Delivered by Trained Volunteers (Medical and Psychology Students), Reduced Need for Antipsychotic Medications and the Length of Hospital Stay in Aged Patients Admitted to an Acute In. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:1297164 pubmed publisheri>Purpose. Effectiveness of nonpharmacological multicomponent prevention delivered by trained volunteers (medical and psychology students), targeted at delirium risk factors in geriatric inpatients, was assessed at an internal ..
- Ludwig M, Zagon I, McLaughlin P. Featured Article: Serum [Met5]-enkephalin levels are reduced in multiple sclerosis and restored by low-dose naltrexone. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2017;242:1524-1533 pubmed publisher..endorphin concentrations were not altered by LDN in humans or mice. Thus, blood levels of OGF may serve as a new, selective biomarker for the progression of MS, as well as response to therapy...
- Ongwae K, Bawa S, Shuaib F, Braka F, Corkum M, Isa H. Use of Dedicated Mobile Teams and Polio Volunteer Community Mobilizers to Increase Access to Zero-Dose Oral Poliovirus Vaccine and Routine Childhood Immunizations in Settlements at High Risk for Polio Transmission in Northern Nigeria. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S267-S272 pubmed publisher..The increase in the services generated represented the increasing role of the dedicated mobile teams and polio VCMs in strengthening RI. ..
- . Fatalities among volunteer and career firefighters--United States, 1994-2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55:453-5 pubmed..Fifty-three percent (610 of 1,141) of U.S. firefighters who died while on duty during 1994-2004 were volunteers, and 32% (368) were career firefighters. The remaining 15% (163) of deaths were among other firefighters (e.g...
- Puska P, Koskela K, McAlister A, Mäyränen H, Smolander A, Moisio S, et al. Use of lay opinion leaders to promote diffusion of health innovations in a community programme: lessons learned from the North Karelia project. Bull World Health Organ. 1986;64:437-46 pubmed..e., a 28% reduction in smoking when adjusted for simultaneous changes in a matched reference area and a significant reduction in coronary mortality rates in contrast to the rest of the country. ..
- Jerome G, Mell I, Shaw D. Re-defining the characteristics of environmental volunteering: Creating a typology of community-scale green infrastructure. Environ Res. 2017;158:399-408 pubmed publisherOne way to engage people with green infrastructure (GI) is as environmental volunteers. Previous studies explored the nature of such groups/projects in terms of the benefits they deliver such as their impact on levels of social capital ..
- Schweizer L, Zahn P, Pogatzki Zahn E, Magerl W, Tegenthoff M, Meyer FrieÃŸem C. Influence of transcutaneous spinal stimulation on human LTP-like pain amplification. A randomized, double-blind study in volunteers. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:1413-1420 pubmed publisher..In healthy volunteers, tsDCS (2...
- Rusconi P, Sacchi S, Capellini R, Brambilla M, Cherubini P. You are fair, but I expect you to also behave unfairly: Positive asymmetry in trait-behavior relations for moderate morality information. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180686 pubmed publisher..We discuss these findings in relation to prior models and results on trait-behavior relations and we advance a motivational explanation based on self-protection. ..
- Salerno Goncalves R, Tettelin H, Lou D, Steiner S, Rezwanul T, Guo Q, et al. Use of a novel antigen expressing system to study the Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi protein recognition by T cells. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005912 pubmed publisher..These results also emphasize the importance of selecting the stimuli appropriately when evaluating CD4+ and CD8+ cell responses. ..
- Ungar B, Mulligan M, Nutman T. Serologic evidence of Cryptosporidium infection in US volunteers before and during Peace Corps service in Africa. Arch Intern Med. 1989;149:894-7 pubmed..immunosorbent assay for anti-Cryptosporidium IgM or IgG was used to examine serum from 75 US Peace Corps volunteers before overseas service and after up to two years in West Africa...
- Kim J, Choi Kwon S, Park Y. Comparison of inflight first aid performed by cabin crew members and medical volunteers. J Travel Med. 2017;24: pubmed publisher..of reported inflight medical incidents and analyse the first aid performed by cabin crew members or medical volunteers in flights by an Asian airline. We also investigated the cases of inflight deaths and aircraft diversions...
- Nyaoke B, Mutua G, Sajabi R, Nyasani D, Mureithi M, Anzala O. Volunteer motivators for participating in HIV vaccine clinical trials in Nairobi, Kenya. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183788 pubmed publisher..Understanding the factors that motivate volunteers to participate in a clinical trial can help to strategize, refine targeting and thus increase enrolment of ..
- Underwood C, Hayne A. System-Level Shared Governance Structures and Processes in Healthcare Systems With Magnet®-Designated Hospitals: A Descriptive Study. J Nurs Adm. 2017;47:396-398 pubmed publisher..Despite the difficulties and complexities of growing health systems, SCNEs have replicated empowerment characteristics of hospital shared governance structures and processes at the system level. ..
- Punsawad C, Phasuk N, Bunratsami S, Thongtup K, Siripakonuaong N, Nongnaul S. Prevalence of intestinal parasitic infection and associated risk factors among village health volunteers in rural communities of southern Thailand. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:564 pubmed publisher..Village health volunteers (VHVs), who are members of a Thai healthcare alliance, function as key providers of health prevention measures, ..
- Kragholm K, Wissenberg M, Mortensen R, Hansen S, Malta Hansen C, Thorsteinsson K, et al. Bystander Efforts and 1-Year Outcomes in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:1737-1747 pubmed publisher..Funded by TrygFonden and the Danish Heart Foundation.). ..
- Weiss J, Makonnen R, Sula D. Shifting management of a community volunteer system for improved child health outcomes: results from an operations research study in Burundi. BMC Health Serv Res. 2015;15 Suppl 1:S2 pubmed publisher..A total of 45 MOH-led Care Groups with 478 Care Group Volunteers (CGVs) were established in the intervention area; and 50 NGO-led Care Groups with 509 CGVs were formed in the ..
- Stieben M, Halpin P, Matyas M. Developing a nationwide K-12 outreach model: Physiology Understanding (PhUn) Week 10 years later. Adv Physiol Educ. 2017;41:357-362 pubmed publisher..Future program goals include targeting regional areas for PhUn Week participation, establishing research collaboratives to further explore program impacts, and providing on-demand training for physiologists. ..
- Glass D, Del Monaco A, Pircher S, Vander Hoorn S, Sim M. Mortality and cancer incidence among male volunteer Australian firefighters. Occup Environ Med. 2017;74:628-638 pubmed publisher..Volunteer firefighters have a reduced risk of mortality and cancer incidence compared with the general population, which is likely to be a result of a 'healthy-volunteer' effect and, perhaps, lower smoking rates. ..
- Brook U. AIDS knowledge and attitudes of pupils attending urban high schools in Israel. Patient Educ Couns. 1999;36:271-8 pubmed..3% mentioned them at all. Only one third of the pupils agreed to participate as volunteers in medical and rehabilitation centers which help AIDS patients.
- Nonaka K, Suzuki H, Murayama H, Hasebe M, Koike T, Kobayashi E, et al. For how many days and what types of group activities should older Japanese adults be involved in to maintain health? A 4-year longitudinal study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183829 pubmed publisher..Additionally, older adults can obtain positive health outcomes through less frequent participation in alumni groups, compared with the activities of volunteer groups. ..