Summary: The child who is not wanted by one or both parents.
- Barber J, Axinn W, Thornton A. Unwanted childbearing, health, and mother-child relationships. J Health Soc Behav. 1999;40:231-57 pubmed..We conclude that experiencing unwanted childbearing reduces the time and attention that mothers give their young children and that these early mother-child interactions set the stage for long-term, lower quality relationships. ..
- Blackburn W. Abortion and the voice of scripture. Hum Life Rev. 2005;31:67-85 pubmed
- Johnson Hanks J. On the politics and practice of Muslim fertility: comparative evidence from West Africa. Med Anthropol Q. 2006;20:12-30 pubmed..By contrast, in all seven countries, Muslim women are more likely to report that their most recent child was wanted. The article concludes with a discussion of the relationship between autonomy and fertility desires. ..
- Roa A. [The embryo, the human and the humanized]. Rev Med Chil. 1992;120:323-30 pubmed..A basic foundation of ethics is that present and future are implicit in the past and vice-versa. Finally, the idea that the unwanted child is not a cultural being should be discarded.
- Bradley D. Perspectives on newborn abandonment. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2003;19:108-11 pubmed..Programs in emergency departments must be developed to expedite care and to support and protect life. ..
- Brockington I. Parturient rage. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2006;9:223-4 pubmed
- Devereux J. Wrongful death claims. Harriton v Stephens.  NSWSC 461. Edwards v Blomeley.  NSWSC 460. Waller v James  NSWSC 462. J Law Med. 2002;10:163-7 pubmed..It is likely that the latter two cases will not be determined until the High Court has considered the Queensland "wrongful birth" case of Melchior v Cattanach, expected to be late in 2002. ..
- Roth R. Congenital disabilities and the law. Clin Perinatol. 2007;34:263-73, v-vi pubmed
- Cook P, Parnell A, Moore M, Pagnini D. The effects of short-term variation in abortion funding on pregnancy outcomes. J Health Econ. 1999;18:241-57 pubmed..Overall, approximately one-third of pregnancies that would have resulted in an abortion, had state funds been available, are instead carried to term. ..
- Foster G. Today's children--challenges to child health promotion in countries with severe AIDS epidemics. AIDS Care. 1998;10 Suppl 1:S17-23 pubmed..Reducing the number and vulnerability of children and adolescents becoming HIV infected and increasing support to affected children are important strategies to improve child health in countries with severe epidemics. ..
- Baydar N. Consequences for children of their birth planning status. Fam Plann Perspect. 1995;27:228-34, 245 pubmed
- Easterlin R, Wongboonsin K, Ahmed M. The demand for family planning: a new approach. Stud Fam Plann. 1988;19:257-69 pubmed..It also could identify characteristics of the nonusers which would help family planning administrators target program efforts. ..
- Dagg P. The psychological sequelae of therapeutic abortion--denied and completed. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148:578-85 pubmed..Increased research into these areas, focusing in particular on why some women are adversely affected by the procedure and clarifying the relationship issues involved, continues to be important. ..
- Casterline J, El Zeini L. The estimation of unwanted fertility. Demography. 2007;44:729-45 pubmed..In an illustrative application to recent DHS data from six countries, the new estimator yields substantially higher estimates of unwanted fertility than existing methods in all six countries. ..
- Miller W, Sable M, Csizmadia A. Pregnancy wantedness and child attachment security: is there a relationship?. Matern Child Health J. 2008;12:478-87 pubmed
- Banaem L, Majlessi F. A comparative study of low 5-minute Apgar scores (<8) in newborns of wanted versus unwanted pregnancies in southern Tehran, Iran (2006-2007). J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2008;21:898-901 pubmed publisher..It is possible that many pregnant women, especially those with unwanted pregnancies, are not attending health centres for prenatal care. Further studies with active case finding are recommended to confirm these findings. ..
- Sulová L, Fait T. [Unwanted children]. Ceska Gynekol. 2009;74:228-33 pubmed..Results of studies confirm order to find for every women safe and effective method for familly planning. ..
- Lu Z, Liu Y, Hua G. [Analysis on basic vaccination situation of left-behind children in rural areas in Anhui and Sichuan Provinces]. Zhongguo Yi Miao He Mian Yi. 2009;15:61-4 pubmed..It is important to mobilize the enthusiasm of doctors. It is especially essential that we should propagandize to the people with vaccination knowledge to the parents came back home during spring festival. ..
- Parker M. Failed sterilisations and the unwanted child: a new medicolegal minefield?. Med J Aust. 2004;180:540; author reply 540 pubmed
- Lewis C, Bunce S. Filicidal mothers and the impact of psychosis on maternal filicide. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2003;31:459-70 pubmed..Psychotic women were as likely as nonpsychotic women to have used alcohol or illegal drugs at the time of the filicide. ..
- Joukamaa M, Kokkonen P, Veijola J, Läksy K, Karvonen J, Jokelainen J, et al. Social situation of expectant mothers and alexithymia 31 years later in their offspring: a prospective study. Psychosom Med. 2003;65:307-12 pubmed..Unwanted children or subjects born into families with many children also exhibited an association with alexithymia in adulthood. Maternal social situation and environment predict alexithymia in the offspring. ..
- Axinn W, Barber J, Thornton A. The long-term impact of parents' childbearing decisions on children's self-esteem. Demography. 1998;35:435-43 pubmed..Unintended childbearing has received an increasing amount of research attention in recent years. ..
- Needell B, Barth R. Infants entering foster care compared to other infants using birth status indicators. Child Abuse Negl. 1998;22:1179-87 pubmed..Infants who enter foster care differ in substantial ways from other children. These findings have important implications for future research aimed toward targeting of child welfare services and supports. ..
- Bitler M, Madeline Z. Did abortion legalization reduce the number of unwanted children? Evidence from adoptions. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2002;34:25-33 pubmed
- Winter A. Abandoned in Brussels, delivered in Paris: long-distance transports of unwanted children in the eighteenth century. J Fam Hist. 2010;35:232-48 pubmed
- Zuravin S. Unplanned childbearing and family size: their relationship to child neglect and abuse. Fam Plann Perspect. 1991;23:155-61 pubmed..Finally, unplanned childbearing appears to be indirectly related to abuse through its effect on family size. ..
- Kaye N, Borenstein N, Donnelly S. Families, murder, and insanity: a psychiatric review of paternal neonaticide. J Forensic Sci. 1990;35:133-9 pubmed..A psychodynamic explanation of paternal neonaticide is formulated. A new definition for neonaticide, more consistent with biological and psychological determinants, is suggested. ..
- Trossman S. Keeping newborns and children safe. Resolutions on safe haven laws and injury prevention around vehicles. Am J Nurs. 2006;106:35-6 pubmed
- Vargas N, Valdés M, Sabugo F, Díaz Valdés M, Arce M. [Unwanted children after birth: frequency measurement and trends analysis]. Rev Med Chil. 2002;130:638-43 pubmed..These condition seems to be associated with poor pregnancy control, high birth order and bad relations with the child's father. ..
- Giordano S. Crimes and misdemeanours: the case of child abandonment. J Med Ethics. 2007;33:28-34 pubmed..This paper is an invitation to reflect on the inconsistency in the ways in which we prosecute, punish or try to correct some forms of child abandonment and yet make allowances for others. ..
- Mugavin M. A meta-synthesis of filicide classification systems: psychosocial and psychodynamic issues in women who kill their children. J Forensic Nurs. 2005;1:65-72 pubmed..A framework of motives and precipitating factors that lead to filicide by mothers offers a starting point to examine this emotionally evocative and complex phenomenon. ..
- Fuscaldo G. Genetic ties: are they morally binding?. Bioethics. 2006;20:64-76 pubmed..I argue that under some conditions the obligations generated by freely and foreseeably causing a child to exist can be justifiably transferred to others. ..
- Ehnvall A, Palm Beskow A, Beskow J, Agren H. Perception of rearing circumstances relates to course of illness in patients with therapy-refractory affective disorders. J Affect Disord. 2005;86:299-303 pubmed..Perception of not having been wanted by parents during upbringing might be an important vulnerability factor in the persistence of depressive symptomatology into adult life. ..
- Rakowski E. Who should pay for bad genes?. Calif Law Rev. 2002;90:1345-414 pubmed..Acting on behalf of the parental insurance pool, the state may nonetheless adopt a variety of measures to help potential parents avoid giving birth to such children, which one can assume virtually all would prefer. ..
- Sadetzki S, Chetrit A, Akstein E, Keinan L, Luxenburg O, Modan B. Relinquishment of infants with Down syndrome in Israel: trends by time. Am J Ment Retard. 2000;105:480-5 pubmed..A decision to relinquish a newborn infant in the hospital is probably based on a combination of several parameters, such as the economic status of the family, social mores, and religious beliefs. ..
- Yasumi K, Kageyama J. Filicide and fatal abuse in Japan, 1994-2005: temporal trends and regional distribution. J Forensic Leg Med. 2009;16:70-5 pubmed publisher..1%), followed by filicide-suicide cases (303, or 32.5%) and unwanted child cases (225, or 24.1%). Infants under the age of one were most at risk (filicide rate: 2...
- Suwa S. A boy with psychosocial short stature followed up from infancy to adulthood. Acta Paediatr Jpn. 1995;37:283-7 pubmed..The impaired relationship between the boy and mother has never been restored. The record of growth and development described in this case is the longest ever reported. ..
- Leridon H. [Current status of reproduction control in France]. Reprod Nutr Dev. 1990;Suppl 1:1s-8s pubmed