Genomes and Genes
Summary: Individuals enrolled in a school or formal educational program.
Publications212 found, 100 shown here
- Stress and suicidal ideas in adolescent students in ChandigarhPriti Arun
Department of Psychiatry, Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
Indian J Med Sci 63:281-7. 2009School students in India have a high stress level and high rate of deliberate self-harm...
- Personal, family, social, and environmental correlates of active commuting to schoolAnna Timperio
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Deakin University, Melbourne, Victoria, and The Children s Hospital at Westmead, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Am J Prev Med 30:45-51. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine personal, family, social, and environmental correlates of active commuting to school among children...
- Cohort profile: The Thai Cohort of 87,134 Open University studentsAdrian C Sleigh
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, ANU College of Medicine and Health Sciences, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 37:266-72. 2008
- Prevalence of internet addiction and comparison of internet addicts and non-addicts in Iranian high schoolsLily Ghassemzadeh
Tarbiat Moallem University, Tehran, Iran
Cyberpsychol Behav 11:731-3. 2008In this study, 1968 high-school students were selected randomly through clustering, who responded to the Persian version of four measures: the Internet Addiction Test (IAT), UCLA Loneliness Scale, Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale, and Matson ..
- Binge drinking and associated health risk behaviors among high school studentsJacqueline W Miller
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy, NE, Mailstop K 55, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Pediatrics 119:76-85. 2007....
- Early age of first drunkenness as a factor in college students' unplanned and unprotected sex attributable to drinkingRalph Hingson
Boston University School of Public Health Social and Behavioral Sciences Department, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Pediatrics 111:34-41. 2003..This study explores whether first getting drunk at a younger age is associated with a greater likelihood of college students reporting that they had unplanned or unprotected sexual intercourse because of their drinking.
- Proposed diagnostic criteria and the screening and diagnosing tool of Internet addiction in college studentsChih Hung Ko
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Compr Psychiatry 50:378-84. 2009The aims of this study were to develop diagnostic criteria of Internet addiction for college students (DC-IA-C) with diagnostic interviews and to establish the optimal cutoff points of the Chen Internet Addiction Scale (CIAS) for the ..
- Smoking among university students: a gender analysisAhmed Mandil
Department of Family and Community Medicine, College of Medicine, King Saud University KSU, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Infect Public Health 3:179-87. 2010..paper were to estimate the consumption patterns of tobacco use among King Saud University (KSU) undergraduate students; and investigate different risk factors which may contribute to tobacco use among female students...
- Perceptions and behaviors related to hand hygiene for the prevention of H1N1 influenza transmission among Korean university students during the peak pandemic periodJae Hyun Park
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University College of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
BMC Infect Dis 10:222. 2010..This study was performed to better assess the perceptions, motivating factors, and behaviors associated with the use of hand washing to prevent H1N1 influenza transmission during the peak pandemic period in Korea...
- An observational study of how young people search for online sexual health informationEric R Buhi
Department of Community and Family Health, University of South Florida, College of Public Health, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Am Coll Health 58:101-11. 2009..Little is known about the quality of online sexual health information, how young people access the Internet to answer their sexual health questions, or an individual's ability to sort through myriad sources for accurate information...
- Active school transportation in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada: an exploration of trends in space and time (1986-2006)Ron N Buliung
Department of Geography, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road N, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Prev Med 48:507-12. 2009..This study describes temporal and spatial trends in active transportation for school trips in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada's largest city-region...
- Internet addiction among Greek adolescent studentsKonstantinos E Siomos
Psychiatric Unit, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Cyberpsychol Behav 11:653-7. 2008This research aimed to assess the prevalence of Internet addiction among Greek adolescent students, ages 12 to 18. The sample of 2,200 students was recruited from 120 classes among 85 schools in Thessaly, Greece...
- Prevalence of pathological Internet use among university students and correlations with self-esteem, the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ), and disinhibitionKatie Niemz
Psychology Division, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Cyberpsychol Behav 8:562-70. 2005..common findings in the literature and provide more evidence for the existence of Internet addiction among students--a population considered to be especially vulnerable...
- Absolute pitch among American and Chinese conservatory students: prevalence differences, and evidence for a speech-related critical periodDiana Deutsch
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 119:719-22. 2006..Music conservatory students in the U.S. and China were tested...
- Randomized controlled trial of proactive web-based alcohol screening and brief intervention for university studentsKypros Kypri
School of Medicine and Public Health, David Maddison Clinical Sciences Bldg, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales 2308, Australia
Arch Intern Med 169:1508-14. 2009University students drink more heavily than their nonstudent peers and are often unaware that their drinking is risky and exceeds normative levels...
- Internet addiction and psychiatric symptoms among Korean adolescentsKeum Seong Jang
College of Nursing, Chonam National University, Chonam Research Institute of Nursing Science, 5 Hak dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju 501 746, Republic of Korea
J Sch Health 78:165-71. 2008....
- Curbing problem drinking with personalized-feedback interventions: a meta-analysisHeleen Riper
Innovation Centre of Mental Health and Technology, Trimbos Institute Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Prev Med 36:247-55. 2009..A meta-analysis was performed to examine the overall effectiveness of brief, single-session personalized-feedback interventions without therapeutic guidance...
- Mental health problems and help-seeking behavior among college studentsJustin Hunt
Division of Health Services Research, Department of Psychiatry, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Adolesc Health 46:3-10. 2010Mental disorders are as prevalent among college students as same-aged non-students, and these disorders appear to be increasing in number and severity...
- Modeling seasonal influenza outbreak in a closed college campus: impact of pre-season vaccination, in-season vaccination and holidays/breaksKristin L Nichol
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9548. 2010College and university students experience substantial morbidity from influenza and influenza-like illness, and they can benefit substantially from vaccination...
- Dirt cheap and without prescription: how susceptible are young US consumers to purchasing drugs from rogue internet pharmacies?Lana Ivanitskaya
The Herbert H and Grace A Dow College of Health Professions, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, MI, USA
J Med Internet Res 12:e11. 2010..This study examined how well students enrolled in a U.S. higher education institution could identify clearly unsafe pharmacies.
- Is the health and wellbeing of university students associated with their academic performance? Cross sectional findings from the United KingdomWalid El Ansari
Faculty of Sport, Health and Social Care, University of Gloucestershire, Gloucester, UK
Int J Environ Res Public Health 7:509-27. 2010..the associations between health awareness, health behaviour, subjective health status, and satisfaction of students with their educational experience as independent variables and three outcomes of educational achievement as ..
- Energy-drink consumption in college students and associated factorsSema Attila
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Nutrition 27:316-22. 2011To investigate the frequency of energy-drink consumption and associated factors in a group of college students.
- Web-based screening and brief intervention for hazardous drinking: a double-blind randomized controlled trialKypros Kypri
Injury Prevention Research Unit, University of Otago Medical School, Dunedin, New Zealand
Addiction 99:1410-7. 2004..However, problems have been highlighted with respect to its implementation in health-care systems, not least of which is a reluctance of some doctors to discuss alcohol proactively with their patients...
- Population-based study of asymptomatic infection with Chlamydia trachomatis among female and male studentsHirohisa Imai
Department of Epidemiology, National Institute of Public Health, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0197, Japan
Int J STD AIDS 21:362-6. 2010There are few epidemiological studies of asymptomatic chlamydial infection among students in non-medical settings with minimal bias and improved accuracy; thus, useful data from screening among students are limited...
- Lifestyle risk factors of students: a cluster analytical approachLorna J Dodd
Department of Psychology and Counselling, Newman University College, Genners Lane, Bartley Green, Birmingham, B32 3NT, United Kingdom
Prev Med 51:73-7. 2010Unhealthy lifestyle behaviours have been identified as a problem amongst students. This present study investigated the prevalence and clustering of five lifestyle risk factors within a UK Higher Education (HE) institution during the ..
- Household effects of school closure during pandemic (H1N1) 2009, Pennsylvania, USAThomas L Gift
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 16:1315-7. 2010..b>Students spent 77% of the closure days at home, 69% of students visited at least 1 other location, and 79% of households ..
- Repeated measures of recent headache, neck and upper back pain in Australian adolescentsK Grimmer
Centre for Allied Health Evidence, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Cephalalgia 26:843-51. 2006..Commencing in 1999, we followed a cohort of South Australian students through 5 years of secondary schooling...
- Drinking and alcohol-related harm among New Zealand university students: findings from a national Web-based surveyKypros Kypri
School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales, Australia
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:307-14. 2009Alcohol-related harm is pervasive among college students in the United States of America and Canada, where a third to half of undergraduates binge drink at least fortnightly. There have been no national studies outside North America...
- Bullying, psychosocial adjustment, and academic performance in elementary schoolGwen M Glew
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:1026-31. 2005..However, no large studies in the United States have examined the prevalence of bullying during elementary school or its association with objective measures of school attendance and achievement...
- Normative beliefs, misperceptions, and heavy episodic drinking in a british student sampleJohn McAlaney
School of Social Sciences, University of Paisley, Paisley, Scotland, UK
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:385-92. 2007..S. college system. The aim of the current study, therefore, was to investigate heavy episodic drinking and normative misperceptions in a U.K. university setting...
- School bullying and tackling strategies in Hong KongDennis S W Wong
Department of Applied Social Studies, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 48:537-53. 2004..Other than suppressive tactics, adopting a comprehensive antibullying strategy such as assisting students to develop adequate self-competency, strong social skills, and good relationships with parents and teachers seems ..
- An interactive web-based method of outreach to college students at risk for suicideAnn Haas
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention AFSP, New York, NY 10005, USA
J Am Coll Health 57:15-22. 2008From 2002 to 2005, the authors tested an interactive, Web-based method to encourage college students at risk for suicide to seek treatment.
- Beliefs and attitudes related to narghile (waterpipe) smoking among university students in SyriaWasim Maziak
Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, Institute of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, University of Muenster, Germany
Ann Epidemiol 14:646-54. 2004..To assess the beliefs and attitudes related to narghile (waterpipe) smoking that are likely to contribute to its increased popularity among young people in Syria...
- A survey of energy drink consumption patterns among college studentsBrenda M Malinauskas
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA
Nutr J 6:35. 2007..young adult consumers, there has been little research regarding energy drink consumption patterns among college students in the United States...
- Bullying behaviors among US youth: prevalence and association with psychosocial adjustmentT R Nansel
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, 6100 Executive Blvd, Room 7B05, MSC 7510, Bethesda, MD 20892 7510, USA
JAMA 285:2094-100. 2001..Although violence among US youth is a current major concern, bullying is infrequently addressed and no national data on the prevalence of bullying are available...
- Effects of Tai Chi exercise on physical and mental health of college studentsYong Tai Wang
Department of Physical Therapy, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Am J Chin Med 32:453-9. 2004..The purpose of this pilot study is to examine the effects of Tai Chi Quan, a body-mind harmony exercise, on college students' perceptions of their physical and mental health...
- Observed sex differences in fast-food consumption and nutrition self-assessments and beliefs of college studentsKristin L Morse
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583 0806, USA
Nutr Res 29:173-9. 2009Americans frequently eat fast foods, but do college students? The objective was to determine the influence of sex on fast-food consumption and nutrition self-assessments and beliefs of a group of college students...
- The relationship between life satisfaction and health behavior: a cross-cultural analysis of young adultsNina Grant
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Int J Behav Med 16:259-68. 2009..Positive well-being has been associated with a range of favorable health outcomes. The contribution of health-promoting behaviors is unclear...
- Development of a Web-based alcohol intervention for university students: processes and challengesJonathan Hallett
WA Centre for Health Promotion Research, Curtin University, Perth, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 28:31-9. 2009..We describe the process of developing and implementing an electronic screening and brief intervention in a large university population...
- Prevalence of pediculosis capitis among schoolchildren in Greece and risk factors: a questionnaire surveyVladeni Soultana
Dermatology Clinic, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Thessaly, Greece
Pediatr Dermatol 26:701-5. 2009..The number of family members was correlated positively with the risk of being infected with pediculosis at least once. The children's gender, their age, and family size were correlated with the risk of infection...
- Correlates of cigarette smoking among male college students in Karachi, PakistanShafquat Rozi
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Public Health 7:312. 2007..Therefore, it is important to understand the factors that might influence their smoking habit. Our study aims to assess the influence of factors that encourage college students to smoke cigarettes.
- School absenteeism and school refusal behavior in youth: a contemporary reviewChristopher A Kearney
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV 89154 5030, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 28:451-71. 2008....
- The nature of adolescents' relationships with their "very important" nonparental adultsMargaret R Beam
University of California Irvine, USA
Am J Community Psychol 30:305-25. 2002..Theoretical and practical implications of these findings are discussed...
- A cohort study among university students: identification of risk factors for Epstein-Barr virus seroconversion and infectious mononucleosisDorothy H Crawford
Clinical and Molecular Virology Laboratory, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Summerhall, Edinburgh, EH9 1QH, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 43:276-82. 2006..A vaccine against Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection is in clinical trials. Up-to-date information on risk factors for EBV infection and infectious mononucleosis (IM) among young adults is required to inform a vaccination strategy...
- A review of studies of sexual behaviour of school students in sub-Saharan AfricaSylvia F Kaaya
Department of Psychiatry, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dares Salaam, Tanzania
Scand J Public Health 30:148-60. 2002This is a review of articles on sexual behaviour of school students in sub-Saharan Africa published between 1987 and 1999. The objective was to describe what is known in this regard and identify gaps in knowledge.
- Prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome and its relationship with psychological stress status in Chinese university studentsLei Shen
Division of Gastroenterology, Union Hospital of Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:1885-90. 2009..bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder in the West, information on the prevalence of IBS in university students is relatively scant, especially in Asia...
- Factors associated with self-rated health status in university students: a cross-sectional study in three European countriesRafael T Mikolajczyk
Department of Public Health Medicine, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
BMC Public Health 8:215. 2008..of this study were to assess which candidate variables were independently associated with SRHS in university students, to compare these variables by country and by gender, and to investigate which of the variables was most ..
- Dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviour among Australian secondary students in 2005Maree Scully
Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, The Cancer Council Victoria, 1 Rathdowne Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Health Promot Int 22:236-45. 2007The aim of this study was to provide a current assessment of Australian secondary students' self-reported dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviour...
- Sleep duration and health in young adultsAndrew Steptoe
Psychobiology Group, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, England
Arch Intern Med 166:1689-92. 2006..Both long and short sleep durations have been associated with negative health outcomes in middle-aged and older adults. This study assessed the relationship between sleep duration and self-rated health in young adults...
- The influence of the physical environment and sociodemographic characteristics on children's mode of travel to and from schoolKristian Larsen
Department of Geography, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Public Health 99:520-6. 2009..We examined whether certain characteristics of the social and physical environment influence a child's mode of travel between home and school...
- Objectively measured physical activity in urban alternative high school studentsJohn R Sirard
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:2088-95. 2008Alternative high school (AHS) students are an underserved population of youth at greater risk for poor health behaviors and outcomes. Little is known about their physical activity patterns.
- Treating university students with social phobia and public speaking fears: Internet delivered self-help with or without live group exposure sessionsMaria Tillfors
Department of Behavioural, Social and Legal Sciences, Orebro University, Orebro, Sweden
Depress Anxiety 25:708-17. 2008..efficacy of an Internet-based self-help program with minimal therapist contact via e-mail for Swedish university students with social phobia and public speaking fears...
- Prevalence and determinants of genital infection with papillomavirus, in female and male university students in Busan, South KoreaHai Rim Shin
Research Institute, National Cancer Center, Goyang si, Gyeonggi Do, Republic of Korea
J Infect Dis 190:468-76. 2004..Little is known about the prevalence of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection in young adults in Asia...
- The characteristics of decision making, potential to take risks, and personality of college students with Internet addictionChih Hung Ko
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 100 Tzyou 1st Rd Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
Psychiatry Res 175:121-5. 2010This study aimed to identify risk factors involved in Internet addiction. A total of 216 college students (132 males and 84 females) were given the following: (a) the diagnostic interview for Internet addiction, (b) the Iowa gambling test ..
- Prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome in Chinese college and university students assessed using Rome III criteriaYan Yan Dong
Department of Gastroenterology, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, No 107, Wenhuaxi Road, Jinan 250012, Shandong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:4221-6. 2010To estimate the prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in college and university students of North China and certain related factors for IBS.
- Effect of lecturing to 200 students on heart rate variability and alpha-amylase activityEdith Filaire
Laboratoire AMAPP, UFRSTAPS 2, allée du Château, BP 6237, 45062, Orleans Cedex, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:1035-43. 2010..salivary alpha-amylase activity) that occur in professors both to, and after, the delivery of a lecture to 200 students and to determine whether gender is an influencing factor upon response...
- A randomized trial of two promising computer-based interventions for students with attention difficultiesDavid L Rabiner
Center for Child and Family Policy Dept of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 38:131-42. 2010..b>Students receiving either intervention were more likely than controls to show a moderate decline in teacher rated ..
- The adoption of mobile weight management services in a virtual community: the perspective of college studentsWen Yuan Jen
Institute of Information and Society, National United University, Maio Li, Taiwan
Telemed J E Health 16:490-7. 2010Obesity among Taiwan college students is increasing every year...
- Effects of energy drinks mixed with alcohol on behavioral control: risks for college students consuming trendy cocktailsCecile A Marczinski
Department of Psychological Science, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY 41099, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:1282-92. 2011..This experiment was designed to investigate if the consumption of AmED alters neurocognitive and subjective measures of intoxication compared with the consumption of alcohol alone...
- Providing web-based feedback and social norms information to reduce student alcohol intake: a multisite investigationBridgette M Bewick
Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
J Med Internet Res 12:e59. 2010Unhealthy alcohol use among university students is cause for concern, yet the level of help seeking behavior for alcohol use is low within the student population...
- Perceived factors related to cigarette and waterpipe (ghelyan) initiation and maintenance in university students of IranHamidreza Roohafza
Tobacco Control Department, Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Int J Public Health 56:175-80. 2011To investigate the perceived factors leading to cigarette and waterpipe (ghelyan) smoking initiation and maintenance in Iranian university students.
- Pre-teen alcohol use initiation and suicide attempts among middle and high school students: findings from the 2006 Georgia Student Health SurveyMonica H Swahn
Institute of Public Health, Partnership for Urban Health Research, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302 3995, USA
Addict Behav 35:452-8. 2010..Analyses were based on the 2006 Georgia Student Health Survey (N=175,311) of students in grades 6, 8, 10 and 12...
- The effectiveness of a school-based substance abuse prevention program: 18-month follow-up of the EU-Dap cluster randomized controlled trialFabrizio Faggiano
Avogadro University, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
Drug Alcohol Depend 108:56-64. 2010..To evaluate the effectiveness of a school-based substance abuse prevention program developed in the EU-Dap study (EUropean Drug Addiction Prevention trial)...
- Differences in health complaints among university students from three European countriesC Stock
School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, Germany
Prev Med 37:535-43. 2003The purpose of this research was to assess the prevalence of somatic and psychosomatic health complaints in a cross-national population of university students and to study risk factors associated with health complaints.
- Tobacco use and related factors among pre-university students in a college in Bangalore, IndiaU M Bhojani
Institute of Public Health, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Natl Med J India 22:294-7. 2009Tobacco use imposes a huge burden of disease in India. Most studies on the use of tobacco among students in India have focused on secondary school students with a few studies investigating younger children and university students...
- Non-medical use of prescription stimulants among US college students: prevalence and correlates from a national surveySean Esteban McCabe
University of Michigan, Substance Abuse Research Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Addiction 100:96-106. 2005To examine the prevalence rates and correlates of non-medical use of prescription stimulants (Ritalin, Dexedrine or Adderall) among US college students in terms of student and college characteristics.
- How do I look? Body image perceptions among university students from England and DenmarkWalid El Ansari
Faculty of Sport, Health and Social Care, University of Gloucestershire, Gloucester, UK
Int J Environ Res Public Health 7:583-95. 2010This study examined differences in body image perception between university students in two European countries, United Kingdom and Denmark. A total of 816 British and 548 Danish university students participated in a cross-sectional survey...
- Cardiovascular risk factors and metabolic syndrome in a population of young students from the National University of ColombiaJohn Edwin Feliciano-Alfonso
División de Lípidos y Diabetes Facultad de Medicina Edificio 471, Ciudad Universitaria Carrera 30 No 45 03 Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogota D C, Colombia
Rev Assoc Med Bras 56:293-8. 2010..To estimate prevalence and distribution of cardiovascular risk factors and Metabolic Syndrome (MS) in young individuals admitted to the National University of Colombia in Bogotá...
- The prevalence of hepatitis B virus markers in a cohort of students in Bangui, Central African RepublicNarcisse P Komas
Viral Hepatitis Laboratory, Institut Pasteur de Bangui, Bangui, Central African Republic
BMC Infect Dis 10:226. 2010..The objective of this study is to estimate the prevalence of HBV in apparently healthy young people and to identify the risk factors of transmission of the HBV among this population in Bangui...
- Knowledge and attitudes of university students toward pandemic influenza: a cross-sectional study from TurkeyHulya Akan
Department of Family Medicine, Yeditepe University Faculty of Medicine, Inönü Mahallesi, Kayisdagi Cad, 26 Agustos Yerlesimi, 34755 Kadiköy Istanbul, Turkey
BMC Public Health 10:413. 2010..Since outbreak management is essential to disease control, we aimed to examine university students' knowledge of and attitudes toward the pandemic influenza A/H1N1 and vaccination and other preventive measures.
- Alternative high school students: prevalence and correlates of overweightMartha Y Kubik
University of Minnesota, School of Nursing, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Am J Health Behav 33:600-9. 2009..To determine prevalence and correlates of overweight among adolescents attending alternative high schools (AHS)...
- Effect of Pilates and taiji quan training on self-efficacy, sleep quality, mood, and physical performance of college studentsKaren Caldwell
Department of Human Development and Psychological Counseling, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, USA
J Bodyw Mov Ther 13:155-63. 2009..There were no changes or group differences in the strength or balance measures. Pilates and taiji quan are effective exercise modes to improve mental parameters in college-age individuals...
- Predicting adolescent profiles of risk: looking beyond demographicsJanine M Zweig
The Urban Institute, Washington, DC 20037, USA
J Adolesc Health 31:343-53. 2002..To identify vulnerability and protective factors related to profiles of risk encapsulating the co-occurrence of health risk behaviors...
- Use of GHB compounds among college studentsAlvaro Camacho
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California 92093-0804, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 31:601-7. 2005..The objective of this article is to examine the use of GHB-containing dietary supplements among college students. An anonymous survey was completed at a university health clinic...
- Prevalence of substance use among Iranian high school studentsJamshid Ahmadi
Hafez Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, PO Box 71345-1416, Shiraz, Iran
Addict Behav 28:375-9. 2003AIMS: This study assessed the rate of substance use among Iranian high school students. PARTICIPANTS: 397 high school students (200 girls and 197 boys) were selected randomly and were assessed...
- SCL-90-R and 16PF profiles of senior high school students with excessive internet useChang Kook Yang
Department of Psychiatry, Dong A University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Can J Psychiatry 50:407-14. 2005To investigate the psychiatric symptomatology and personality characteristics of Korean senior high school students considered to use the Internet to excess.
- Prevalence of smoking among high-school students of Tehran in 2003G Heydari
Tobacco Control Unit, National Research Institute of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
East Mediterr Health J 13:1017-21. 2007This study in 2003 determined the prevalence of smoking and its associated factors among high-school students in Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran...
- Early initiation of substance use and subsequent risk factors related to suicide among urban high school studentsHyunsan Cho
The Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, 1516 E Franklin St Suite 200, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, United States
Addict Behav 32:1628-39. 2007..To examine the association between onset of substance use and risk factors related to suicide...
- Effects of formal training in communication skills on the ability of veterinary students to communicate with clientsC E Latham
Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ES
Vet Rec 160:181-6. 2007..This study evaluates the effectiveness of this approach in improving the ability of students to communicate with clients in clinical situations...
- Readiness to change among a group of heavy-drinking college students: correlates of readiness and a comparison of measuresT Robert Harris
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Dallas, TX 75390 9128, USA
J Am Coll Health 57:325-30. 2008..Although several multi-item scales assess readiness to change alcohol consumption, some researchers have proposed that a small number of single-item rulers may assess readiness nearly as well...
- African American adolescents and menthol cigarettes: smoking behavior among secondary school studentsJessica L Muilenburg
Department of Health Promotion and Behavior, College of Public Health, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Adolesc Health 43:570-5. 2008This paper examines the impact of smoking menthol cigarettes among secondary students, primarily African Americans, across five measures of smoking behavior.
- Nutritive value of meals, dietary habits and nutritive status in Croatian university students according to genderIrena Colic Baric
Laboratory for Food Chemistry and Nutrition, Faculty of Food Technology and Biotechnology, University of Zagreb, Pierottijeva 6, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Int J Food Sci Nutr 54:473-84. 2003The aim of this study was to evaluate daily menus at students' restaurants and to report dietary habits and other health-related behaviour of Croatian university students (n=2075) according to gender...
- Tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drug use: racial and ethnic differences among U.S. high school seniors, 1976-2000John M Wallace
University of Michigan, Institute for Social Research, 426 Thompson Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 1248, USA
Public Health Rep 117:S67-75. 2002..This study examines differences in adolescents' use of tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs by racial and ethnic groups...
- Associations between individual and contextual factors and smoking in 13,293 Mexican studentsEdna Arillo-Santillan
Center for Population Health Research, National Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Am J Prev Med 28:41-51. 2005..study in the central Mexican state of Morelos during the 1998-1999 school year of 13,293 public school students aged 11 to 24 years...
- Substance use among high-school students in Southern Thailand: trends over 3 years (2002-2004)Sawitri Assanangkornchai
Prince of Songkla University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, 15 Kanchanavanich Road, Hat Yai, Songkhla 90110, Thailand
Drug Alcohol Depend 86:167-74. 2007To examine the trends of substance use and correlated variables in high-school students in Southern Thailand.
- Body art: attitudes and practices regarding body piercing among urban undergraduatesCindy M Schorzman
Student Health Center, California State University, 6000 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819 6045, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 107:432-8. 2007..To describe the knowledge, attitudes, and practices of young adults toward body piercing...
- National prevalence and correlates of walking and bicycling to schoolSarah L Martin
Program Evaluation Across the Nation Using Technology, Farmington, Maine, USA
Am J Prev Med 33:98-105. 2007..Active travel to school provides youth with an opportunity to accumulate minutes of physical activity toward meeting recommended levels...
- Influence of the desire to lose weight on food habits, and knowledge of the characteristics of a balanced diet, in a group of Madrid university studentsB Navia
Departamento de Nutricion, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:S90-3. 2003The aim of this study was to determine the desire to lose weight in a group of university students, and to analyse the influence of this desire on declared food habits...
- Adolescent violence exposure, gender issues and impactRay Munni
Department of Pediatrics, Advanced Pediatric Center, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160 012, India
Indian Pediatr 43:607-12. 2006..Research on adolescent violence in India is limited. Fifteen hundred high school students were investigated to study the prevalence and demographic characteristics of witnesses, victims and perpetrators ..
- Use of emergency contraceptive pills and condoms by college students: a surveyHee Sun Kang
Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, 221 Heuksukdong Dongjakku, Seoul 156 756, South Korea
Int J Nurs Stud 45:775-83. 2008This study examined the intentions, knowledge, and attitudes of college students regarding the use of emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs) and condoms.
- Harmful effects of alcohol on sexual behaviour in a New Zealand university communityMartine L Cashell Smith
Injury Prevention Research Unit, Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, University of Otago Medical School, Dunedin, New Zealand
Drug Alcohol Rev 26:645-51. 2007The prevalence of hazardous drinking among university students in New Zealand is very high, but the impacts on sexual behaviour are largely unknown...
- Examining the effects of a national alcohol-free fraternity housing policyScott B Crosse
Substance Abuse Research Group, Westat, Rockville, MD, USA
J Prim Prev 27:477-95. 2006..FH members reported that the policy was implemented moderately well; however, it may have shifted alcohol use from fraternity housing to other settings...
- Cannabis use and the risk behavior syndrome in Italian university students: are they related to suicide risk?Marco Innamorati
Università Europea of Rome
Psychol Rep 102:577-94. 2008..of this study was to examine the association of cannabis use with risky behaviors and suicide risk in university students. A convenience sample of 246 students was recruited from four universities in Rome during the 2004 academic year...
- Caffeinated cocktails: energy drink consumption, high-risk drinking, and alcohol-related consequences among college studentsMary Claire O'Brien
Department of Emergency Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
Acad Emerg Med 15:453-60. 2008..This study examines the relationship between energy drink use, high-risk drinking behavior, and alcohol-related consequences...
- The prevalence of probable delayed-sleep-phase syndrome in students from junior high school to university in Tottori, JapanGen i Hazama
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 216:95-8. 2008..a change in the prevalence of DSPS among young population, epidemiological survey was conducted on Japanese students. A total of 4,971 students of junior high school, senior high school, and university were enrolled in this cross ..
- Sensation seeking, self-esteem, and unprotected sex in college studentsDonna L Gullette
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, College of Nursing, Little Rock, AR, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 17:23-31. 2006..self-efficacy in condom use, stages of change, and alcohol consumption to HIV risk-taking behaviors among college students. A total of 159 students completed an online survey in 2004...
- Standardized measures of alcohol-related problems: a review of their use among college studentsLoraine Devos-Comby
AOD Initiatives Research, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 22:349-61. 2008College students' alcohol consumption has received considerable attention in the scientific literature and the media for its impact on students and the college community...
- Evaluating the Theory of Planned Behavior to explain intention to engage in premarital sex amongst Korean college students: a questionnaire surveyEun Seok Cha
Chung Ang University, 506 Department of Nursing School of Medicine, 221 Heukseok dong Dongjakgu, Seoul, 156 756, Republic of Korea
Int J Nurs Stud 44:1147-57. 2007..To reduce risky adolescent sexual behavior, education programs must be tailored to specific cultures and stage of adolescence...
- Gender, school and academic year differences among Spanish university students at high-risk for developing an eating disorder: an epidemiologic studyAna R Sepulveda
School of Psychology, Autonomous University of Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 8:102. 2008....
- Clarifying the anxiety sensitivity and alcohol use relation: considering alcohol expectancies as moderatorsRoisin M O'Connor
Department of Psychology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 4J1, Canada
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69:765-72. 2008..e., tension reduction, cognitive and behavioral impairment) on the AS-alcohol use association. Gender-specific pathways were also examined...
- Attitudes toward condom use among high school and university students in ZimbabweMalcolm A Cort
Department of Behavioral Science, Athens State University, Athens, AL 35611, USA
Int Q Community Health Educ 26:61-72. 2006Utilizing a sample of students (N = 504) from Matabeleland, Zimbabwe, Africa, this study investigated the extent to which knowledge of AIDS and two components of the Health Belief Model are related to: 1) attitude toward condom use, and 2)..
Research Grants134 found, 100 shown here
- Determinants of Maternal and Child Health in IndiaSonalde Desai; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- DYNAMICS OF FAMILY WELL-BEING DURING ECONOMIC CRISISJohn Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- FAMILIES, COMMUNITIES AND YOUTH OUTCOMES IN SOUTH AFRICADavid Lam; Fiscal Year: 2005..The project will also analyze the effect of economic shocks and family disruption on the outcomes of young people such as school enrollment grade advancement and employment...
- Health, Environment and Social Structure in IndiaREEVE VANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..3. Build institutional linkages between premiere scholars in the field of environmental studies, economics, sociology and public health in India and the United States. ..
- PREPARE: Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program and Retention EnhancementJAMBOOR VISHWANATHA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Entry of underrepresented minority students into doctoral study in the biomedical sciences in Texas, and indeed, in the nation, remains low despite ..
- Female Anti-Problem Drinking Group & Campus InitiativesJoseph LaBrie; Fiscal Year: 2006..monthly alcohol-related programs with faculty/staff, and on-going alcohol and women's health programs for students. It is hypothesized that students attending WISE UP groups will report fewer alcohol-related problems, decreased ..
- Evaluating Alternative Retinopathy Screening ApproachesCHARLES BASCH; Fiscal Year: 2007..These interventions are practical, have potential for widespread dissemination, and can translate basic and clinical research to achieve public health benefits. ..
- Internet as Supplier: Preventing Adolescent Use of Non-Medical Addictive RxAmelia M Arria; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will obtain information directly from adolescents about their use of the internet and other sources to obtain drugs. ..
- TAILORED COMMUNICATIONS FOR COLORECTAL CANCER SCREENINGCHARLES BASCH; Fiscal Year: 2003..This proposal addresses the need for research assessing tailored communications to increase CRC screening in minority groups. ..
- The Natural History and Consequences of Ecstasy UseAmelia Arria; Fiscal Year: 2007..broader implications for the description and prediction of illicit drug use patterns in general among college students. A longitudinal prospective study of a large sample of college students at the University of Maryland, College ..
- Drug Abuse Trajectories in the Transition to Adulthood: Risk Factors and OutcomesAmelia Arria; Fiscal Year: 2009An estimated 21 percent of the nation's 7.5 million full-time college students have used an illicit drug in the past month...
- Internet as Supplier: Preventing Adolescent Use of Non-Medical Addictive RxAmelia Arria; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study will obtain information directly from adolescents about their use of the internet and other sources to obtain drugs. ..
- The Role of Culture in Thriving and Risk Behavior in Hispanic AdolescentsSeth J Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Provided that our hypotheses are supported, this will suggest that family strengthening interventions may be important for Hispanic immigrant families - a sizeable and rapidly growing segment of the U.S. population. ..
- Identity & Context in HIV Prevention for Hispanic YouthSETH SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of Culture in Thriving and Risk Behavior in Hispanic AdolescentsSeth J Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Provided that our hypotheses are supported, this will suggest that family strengthening interventions may be important for Hispanic immigrant families - a sizeable and rapidly growing segment of the U.S. population. ..
- The Role of Culture in Thriving and Risk Behavior in Hispanic AdolescentsSETH SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..Provided that our hypotheses are supported, this will suggest that family strengthening interventions may be important for Hispanic immigrant families - a sizeable and rapidly growing segment of the U.S. population. ..
- Alcohol-Related Risky Sex PreventionMelissa Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2007..is to reduce alcohol consumption, alcohol-related risky sex, and their negative consequences among college students. Specific aims of this research will be accomplished in three distinct studies...
- Exploring strategies to increase school breakfast consumption in middle schoolsKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2007..is to investigate delivery methods and promotional strategies to improve SB participation among middle school students, implement the delivery methods and promotional strategies, and obtain participation rate data needed to ..
- Children's Dietary Recalls: Prompts, Retention Interval, and AccuracySuzanne Domel Baxter; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Family Eats: Cancer Prevention for FamiliesKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2009..This is a relatively low cost method for improving health and quality of life. ..
- Children's Dietary Recalls: Methodology and AccuracySUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results from this methodological project could have major implications for how 24hDRs are obtained from children in future national surveys, NIH-funded studies, and other studies. ..
- Memory Errors in Children's Dietary RecallsSUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Healthful dietary habits will decrease the risk of such chronic diseases as cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Familys' Web: Cancer Prevention for DaughtersKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2003..This feasibility or pilot study will provide the foundation for a full scale intervention focused on dietary change. ..
- Nonmedical Prescription Drug Use among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. college students (e.g., Johnston et al., 2003; Mohler-Kuo et al., 2003)...
- Sexual Orientation, Substance Use and Mental HealthSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Prescription Drug Abuse Among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005The objective of this R03 application "Prescription Drug Abuse Among College Students" is to improve the understanding of nonmedical use and diversion of prescription drugs among college students...
- Event Specific PreventionChristine M Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010Heavy drinking among college students continues to be an epidemic problem throughout the United States...
- Personalized Feedback Intervention for Marijuana UseChristine Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..university, through the development of efficacious prevention and intervention techniques for first-year college students. Marijuana use is the most commonly used illicit substance among college students, with up to 35% of students ..
- EVENT-LEVEL ANALYSIS OF EXPECTANCIES, ALCOHOL USE, AND CONSEQUENCESChristine M Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010Alcohol use, misuse and resulting negative consequences among college students have been extensively documented...
- Secondary Effects of Parent Treatment for Drug Abuse on ChildrenMichelle L Kelley; Fiscal Year: 2010..Learning Sobriety Together holds great potential for having such broad and prolonged effects that will benefit families affected by drug abuse as well as the treatment community that serves them. ..
- Causes and Interventions for Childhood Obesity:Innovative Systems AnalysisYoufa Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will also project the impacts of several childhood obesity intervention strategies. ..