Genomes and Genes
Summary: Individuals enrolled in a school or formal educational program.
Publications263 found, 100 shown here
- Cohort profile: The Thai Cohort of 87,134 Open University studentsAdrian C Sleigh
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, ANU College of Medicine and Health Sciences, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 37:266-72. 2008
- Stress and suicidal ideas in adolescent students in ChandigarhPriti Arun
Department of Psychiatry, Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
Indian J Med Sci 63:281-7. 2009School students in India have a high stress level and high rate of deliberate self-harm...
- Knowledge and practice of breast-self examination among female undergraduate students of Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, northwestern NigeriaU M D Gwarzo
Department of Community Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 8:55-8. 2009..We assessed knowledge and practice of breast-self examination (BSE) among female undergraduate students of Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Nigeria.
- Normative misperceptions and temporal precedence of perceived norms and drinkingClayton Neighbors
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Box 356560, Seattle, Washington 98195 6560, USA
J Stud Alcohol 67:290-9. 2006Previous research has shown that students overestimate the drinking of their peers, and that perceived norms are strongly associated with drinking behavior...
- Drinking at European universities? A review of students' alcohol useMatthias Wicki
Swiss Institute for the Prevention of Alcohol and Drug Problems SIPA, Research Department, PO Box 870, CH 1001 Lausanne, Switzerland
Addict Behav 35:913-24. 2010High volumes of alcohol consumption and risky single occasion drinking (RSOD) among university students have been shown to be associated with considerable harm to both those who consume alcohol and their fellow students...
- Can stand-alone computer-based interventions reduce alcohol consumption? A systematic reviewZarnie Khadjesari
e Health Unit, Research Department of Primary Care and Population Health, University College London, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Addiction 106:267-82. 2011..To determine the effects of computer-based interventions aimed at reducing alcohol consumption in adult populations...
- Randomized controlled trial of proactive web-based alcohol screening and brief intervention for university studentsKypros Kypri
School of Medicine and Public Health, David Maddison Clinical Sciences Bldg, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales 2308, Australia
Arch Intern Med 169:1508-14. 2009University students drink more heavily than their nonstudent peers and are often unaware that their drinking is risky and exceeds normative levels...
- Prevalence of internet addiction and comparison of internet addicts and non-addicts in Iranian high schoolsLily Ghassemzadeh
Tarbiat Moallem University, Tehran, Iran
Cyberpsychol Behav 11:731-3. 2008In this study, 1968 high-school students were selected randomly through clustering, who responded to the Persian version of four measures: the Internet Addiction Test (IAT), UCLA Loneliness Scale, Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale, and Matson ..
- Prevalence of substance use among college students in Eldoret, western KenyaLukoye Atwoli
Department of Mental Health, Moi University School of Medicine, PO Box 4606, Eldoret 30100, Kenya
BMC Psychiatry 11:34. 2011Substance use among college and university students predicts substance related problems in later life. Few studies on this phenomenon have been carried out in low income countries, and most focus on primary and secondary school students...
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials: Web-based interventions for smoking cessation among adolescents, college students, and adultsHeidi E Hutton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:227-38. 2011..We performed a systematic review of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of smoking cessation to evaluate the efficacy of Web-based interventions in adults, college students, and adolescents.
- Proximity of fast-food restaurants to schools and adolescent obesityBrennan Davis
School of Business and Management, Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA, USA
Am J Public Health 99:505-10. 2009We examined the relationship between fast-food restaurants near schools and obesity among middle and high school students in California.
- Binge drinking and associated health risk behaviors among high school studentsJacqueline W Miller
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy, NE, Mailstop K 55, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Pediatrics 119:76-85. 2007....
- Proposed diagnostic criteria and the screening and diagnosing tool of Internet addiction in college studentsChih Hung Ko
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Compr Psychiatry 50:378-84. 2009The aims of this study were to develop diagnostic criteria of Internet addiction for college students (DC-IA-C) with diagnostic interviews and to establish the optimal cutoff points of the Chen Internet Addiction Scale (CIAS) for the ..
- Early age of first drunkenness as a factor in college students' unplanned and unprotected sex attributable to drinkingRalph Hingson
Boston University School of Public Health Social and Behavioral Sciences Department, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Pediatrics 111:34-41. 2003..This study explores whether first getting drunk at a younger age is associated with a greater likelihood of college students reporting that they had unplanned or unprotected sexual intercourse because of their drinking.
- Alcohol mixed with energy drinks: consumption patterns and motivations for use in U.S. college studentsCecile A Marczinski
Department of Psychological Science, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY 41042, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:3232-45. 2011Binge drinking in college students is widespread and known to cause significant harms and health hazards for the drinker...
- Trends in college binge drinking during a period of increased prevention efforts. Findings from 4 Harvard School of Public Health College Alcohol Study surveys: 1993-2001Henry Wechsler
Department of Health and Social Behavior at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Coll Health 50:203-17. 2002The 2001 Harvard School of Public Health College Alcohol Study surveyed students at 119 4-year colleges that participated in the 1993, 1997, and 1999 studies...
- Providing web-based feedback and social norms information to reduce student alcohol intake: a multisite investigationBridgette M Bewick
Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, Leeds Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
J Med Internet Res 12:e59. 2010Unhealthy alcohol use among university students is cause for concern, yet the level of help seeking behavior for alcohol use is low within the student population...
- Smoking among university students: a gender analysisAhmed Mandil
Department of Family and Community Medicine, College of Medicine, King Saud University KSU, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Infect Public Health 3:179-87. 2010..paper were to estimate the consumption patterns of tobacco use among King Saud University (KSU) undergraduate students; and investigate different risk factors which may contribute to tobacco use among female students...
- Stigma and help seeking for mental health among college studentsDaniel Eisenberg
Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Med Care Res Rev 66:522-41. 2009..Using a random sample of 5,555 students from a diverse set of 13 universities, we conducted one of the first empirical studies of the association of help-..
- Sleep patterns and predictors of disturbed sleep in a large population of college studentsHannah G Lund
Department of Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Adolesc Health 46:124-32. 2010To characterize sleep patterns and predictors of poor sleep quality in a large population of college students. This study extends the 2006 National Sleep Foundation examination of sleep in early adolescence by examining sleep in older ..
- Curbing problem drinking with personalized-feedback interventions: a meta-analysisHeleen Riper
Innovation Centre of Mental Health and Technology, Trimbos Institute Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Prev Med 36:247-55. 2009..A meta-analysis was performed to examine the overall effectiveness of brief, single-session personalized-feedback interventions without therapeutic guidance...
- Motives and perceived consequences of nonmedical ADHD medication use by college students: are students treating themselves for attention problems?David L Rabiner
Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Atten Disord 13:259-70. 2009This study examines why college students without a prescription take ADHD medication, what they perceive the consequences of this to be, and whether attention problems are associated with this behavior.
- Alcohol use, partner type, and risky sexual behavior among college students: Findings from an event-level studyJennifer L Brown
Center for Health and Behavior, Department of Psychology, Syracuse University, 430 Huntington Hall, Syracuse, New York 13244, USA jlbrow03syr edu
Addict Behav 32:2940-52. 2007Alcohol use is prevalent among college students and may contribute to elevated rates of sexual risk taking. Using event-level data, the hypothesis that partner type would moderate the effect of alcohol consumption on condom use was tested...
- BASC-2 PRS profiles for students with high-functioning autism spectrum disordersMartin A Volker
Department of Counseling, School and Educational Psychology, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 40:188-99. 2010..Screening indices suggested that the Developmental Social Disorders scale was highly effective in differentiating between the two groups...
- Caffeinated cocktails: energy drink consumption, high-risk drinking, and alcohol-related consequences among college studentsMary Claire O'Brien
Department of Emergency Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
Acad Emerg Med 15:453-60. 2008..This study examines the relationship between energy drink use, high-risk drinking behavior, and alcohol-related consequences...
- Computer-based interventions for college drinking: a qualitative reviewJennifer C Elliott
Center for Health and Behavior, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244, USA
Addict Behav 33:994-1005. 2008..In addition, possible moderators (e.g. baseline drinking patterns) and mediators (e.g. corrected drinking norms) have emerged. Limitations and areas for future research are discussed...
- The theory of planned behavior and binge drinking among undergraduate students: assessing the impact of habit strengthPaul Norman
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Addict Behav 36:502-7. 2011..theory of planned behavior (TPB) to the prediction of binge drinking intentions and behavior among undergraduate students and to test whether habit strength explains additional variance in binge drinking behavior...
- Validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) among Nigerian university studentsOlutayo O Aloba
Department of Mental Health, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
Sleep Med 8:266-70. 2007..problems and detection of them remain largely an unidentified public health issue, especially among university students. This study aims to assess the validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) among Nigerian university ..
- A survey of energy drink consumption patterns among college studentsBrenda M Malinauskas
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA
Nutr J 6:35. 2007..young adult consumers, there has been little research regarding energy drink consumption patterns among college students in the United States...
- International study of heavy drinking: attitudes and sociodemographic factors in university studentsCecile Dantzer
Department of Psychology, University of Savoy, Chambery, France
J Am Coll Health 55:83-9. 2006The authors studied the prevalence of heavy drinking among students in 21 developed and developing countries using an anonymous survey of 7,846 male and 9,892 female students aged 17 to 30 years...
- Social inequalities in food exposure around schools in an urban areaYan Kestens
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine and Central Hospital Research Center, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Prev Med 39:33-40. 2010..Although the positive association between area-level deprivation and fast-food outlets offering high-calorie foods has been well documented, few studies have evaluated food sources around school settings...
- Attitudes toward parenthood and awareness of fertility among postgraduate students in SwedenAgneta Skoog Svanberg
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Gend Med 3:187-95. 2006..Postponing childbirth is becoming increasingly common in Western countries, especially among women with higher education...
- A brief social-belonging intervention improves academic and health outcomes of minority studentsGregory M Walton
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 331:1447-51. 2011..The intervention was expected to be particularly beneficial to African-American students (N = 49), a stereotyped and socially marginalized group in academics, and less so to European-American students (..
- Female university students' attitudes to future motherhood and their understanding about fertilityTanja Tyden
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Döbelnsgatan 2, S 752 37, Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 11:181-9. 2006As highly educated women tend to postpone childbearing, the purpose was to explore female university students' attitudes to future motherhood and their understanding about fertility.
- Prevalence of pathological Internet use among university students and correlations with self-esteem, the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ), and disinhibitionKatie Niemz
Psychology Division, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Cyberpsychol Behav 8:562-70. 2005..common findings in the literature and provide more evidence for the existence of Internet addiction among students--a population considered to be especially vulnerable...
- An observational study of how young people search for online sexual health informationEric R Buhi
Department of Community and Family Health, University of South Florida, College of Public Health, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Am Coll Health 58:101-11. 2009..Little is known about the quality of online sexual health information, how young people access the Internet to answer their sexual health questions, or an individual's ability to sort through myriad sources for accurate information...
- Internet addiction among Greek adolescent studentsKonstantinos E Siomos
Psychiatric Unit, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Cyberpsychol Behav 11:653-7. 2008This research aimed to assess the prevalence of Internet addiction among Greek adolescent students, ages 12 to 18. The sample of 2,200 students was recruited from 120 classes among 85 schools in Thessaly, Greece...
- Active school transportation in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada: an exploration of trends in space and time (1986-2006)Ron N Buliung
Department of Geography, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road N, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Prev Med 48:507-12. 2009..This study describes temporal and spatial trends in active transportation for school trips in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada's largest city-region...
- Bullying behaviors among US youth: prevalence and association with psychosocial adjustmentT R Nansel
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, 6100 Executive Blvd, Room 7B05, MSC 7510, Bethesda, MD 20892 7510, USA
JAMA 285:2094-100. 2001..Although violence among US youth is a current major concern, bullying is infrequently addressed and no national data on the prevalence of bullying are available...
- Peer influences on college drinking: a review of the researchB Borsari
Center for Health and Behavior, Syracuse University, NY 13244 2340, USA
J Subst Abuse 13:391-424. 2001Peer pressure is consistently implicated in the excessive drinking of college students. However, both theory and empirical findings suggest that peer pressure is a combination of three distinct influences: overt offers of alcohol, ..
- Three strategies for changing attributions about severe mental illnessP W Corrigan
University of Chicago Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Tinley Park, IL 60477, USA
Schizophr Bull 27:187-95. 2001..One hundred and fifty-two students at a community college were randomly assigned to one of the three strategies or a control condition...
- Effects of a brief motivational intervention with college student drinkersB Borsari
Department of Psychology, Syracuse University, New York 13244 2340, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 68:728-33. 2000..Sixty students who reported binge drinking 2 or more times in the past 30 days were randomly assigned to either a no-treatment ..
- Long-term effects of a parent and student intervention on alcohol use in adolescents: a cluster randomized controlled trialIna M Koning
Trimbos Institute, Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Prev Med 40:541-7. 2011..Early onset of drinking among Dutch adolescents is highly prevalent. A lower age of onset is associated with several developmental and social risks...
- Basic math in monkeys and college studentsJessica F Cantlon
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS Biol 5:e328. 2007..Our data demonstrate that nonverbal arithmetic is not unique to humans but is instead part of an evolutionarily primitive system for mathematical thinking shared by monkeys...
- Perceptions and behaviors related to hand hygiene for the prevention of H1N1 influenza transmission among Korean university students during the peak pandemic periodJae Hyun Park
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University College of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
BMC Infect Dis 10:222. 2010..This study was performed to better assess the perceptions, motivating factors, and behaviors associated with the use of hand washing to prevent H1N1 influenza transmission during the peak pandemic period in Korea...
- Me and my 400 friends: the anatomy of college students' Facebook networks, their communication patterns, and well-beingAdriana M Manago
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Dev Psychol 48:369-80. 2012..socialization context of Facebook during the transition to adulthood, an online survey was distributed to college students at a large urban university; participants answered questions about their relationships by systematically sampling ..
- Absolute pitch among American and Chinese conservatory students: prevalence differences, and evidence for a speech-related critical periodDiana Deutsch
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 119:719-22. 2006..Music conservatory students in the U.S. and China were tested...
- Improving educational achievement and anaemia of school children: design of a cluster randomised trial of school-based malaria prevention and enhanced literacy instruction in KenyaSimon Brooker
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Trials 11:93. 2010..This study aims to evaluate the impact of school-based malaria prevention and enhanced literacy instruction on the health and educational achievement of school children in Kenya...
- Individual-level interventions to reduce college student drinking: a meta-analytic reviewKate B Carey
Center for Health and Behavior, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244 2340, USA
Addict Behav 32:2469-94. 2007..b>Students receiving interventions also reported fewer alcohol-related problems over longer intervals...
- Food consumption frequency and perceived stress and depressive symptoms among students in three European countriesRafael T Mikolajczyk
Faculty of Sport, Health and Social Care, University of Gloucestershire, Oxstalls Lane, Gloucester GL2 9HW, UK
Nutr J 8:31. 2009....
- Normative beliefs, misperceptions, and heavy episodic drinking in a british student sampleJohn McAlaney
School of Social Sciences, University of Paisley, Paisley, Scotland, UK
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:385-92. 2007..S. college system. The aim of the current study, therefore, was to investigate heavy episodic drinking and normative misperceptions in a U.K. university setting...
- Prevalence of daily breakfast intake, iron deficiency anaemia and awareness of being anaemic among Saudi school studentsBahaa Abalkhail
Department of Community Medicine and Primary Heath Care, College of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Int J Food Sci Nutr 53:519-28. 2002..The objectives of this study were to identify the nutritional habits and the prevalence of anaemia among school students in Jeddah, as well as to recognize the students' awareness of their anaemic nutritional status...
- Effect of school district policy change on consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among high school students, Boston, Massachusetts, 2004-2006Angie L Cradock
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 8:A74. 2011..The objective of this study was to determine whether high school students' consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages declined after this new policy was implemented.
- Web-based screening and brief intervention for hazardous drinking: a double-blind randomized controlled trialKypros Kypri
Injury Prevention Research Unit, University of Otago Medical School, Dunedin, New Zealand
Addiction 99:1410-7. 2004..However, problems have been highlighted with respect to its implementation in health-care systems, not least of which is a reluctance of some doctors to discuss alcohol proactively with their patients...
- Internet addiction and psychiatric symptoms among Korean adolescentsKeum Seong Jang
College of Nursing, Chonam National University, Chonam Research Institute of Nursing Science, 5 Hak dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju 501 746, Republic of Korea
J Sch Health 78:165-71. 2008....
- Mental health problems and help-seeking behavior among college studentsJustin Hunt
Division of Health Services Research, Department of Psychiatry, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Adolesc Health 46:3-10. 2010Mental disorders are as prevalent among college students as same-aged non-students, and these disorders appear to be increasing in number and severity...
- Energy-drink consumption in college students and associated factorsSema Attila
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Nutrition 27:316-22. 2011To investigate the frequency of energy-drink consumption and associated factors in a group of college students.
- Is the health and wellbeing of university students associated with their academic performance? Cross sectional findings from the United KingdomWalid El Ansari
Faculty of Sport, Health and Social Care, University of Gloucestershire, Gloucester, UK
Int J Environ Res Public Health 7:509-27. 2010..the associations between health awareness, health behaviour, subjective health status, and satisfaction of students with their educational experience as independent variables and three outcomes of educational achievement as ..
- Lifestyle risk factors of students: a cluster analytical approachLorna J Dodd
Department of Psychology and Counselling, Newman University College, Genners Lane, Bartley Green, Birmingham, B32 3NT, United Kingdom
Prev Med 51:73-7. 2010Unhealthy lifestyle behaviours have been identified as a problem amongst students. This present study investigated the prevalence and clustering of five lifestyle risk factors within a UK Higher Education (HE) institution during the ..
- Dirt cheap and without prescription: how susceptible are young US consumers to purchasing drugs from rogue internet pharmacies?Lana Ivanitskaya
The Herbert H and Grace A Dow College of Health Professions, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, MI, USA
J Med Internet Res 12:e11. 2010..This study examined how well students enrolled in a U.S. higher education institution could identify clearly unsafe pharmacies.
- Population-based study of asymptomatic infection with Chlamydia trachomatis among female and male studentsHirohisa Imai
Department of Epidemiology, National Institute of Public Health, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0197, Japan
Int J STD AIDS 21:362-6. 2010There are few epidemiological studies of asymptomatic chlamydial infection among students in non-medical settings with minimal bias and improved accuracy; thus, useful data from screening among students are limited...
- Modeling seasonal influenza outbreak in a closed college campus: impact of pre-season vaccination, in-season vaccination and holidays/breaksKristin L Nichol
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9548. 2010College and university students experience substantial morbidity from influenza and influenza-like illness, and they can benefit substantially from vaccination...
- Household effects of school closure during pandemic (H1N1) 2009, Pennsylvania, USAThomas L Gift
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 16:1315-7. 2010..b>Students spent 77% of the closure days at home, 69% of students visited at least 1 other location, and 79% of households ..
- Precursor or sequela: pathological disorders in people with Internet addiction disorderGuangheng Dong
Department of Psychology, Zhejiang Normal University, Jinhua, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e14703. 2011....
- Personal, family, social, and environmental correlates of active commuting to schoolAnna Timperio
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, Deakin University, Melbourne, Victoria, and The Children s Hospital at Westmead, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Am J Prev Med 30:45-51. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine personal, family, social, and environmental correlates of active commuting to school among children...
- Physical activity and sports team participation: associations with academic outcomes in middle school and high school studentsClaudia K Fox
Department of Pediatrics, Division of General Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, 717 Delaware St, 3rd Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55414, USA
J Sch Health 80:31-7. 2010..studies have found that higher physical activity levels are associated with greater academic achievement among students. However, it remains unclear whether associations are due to the physical activity itself or sports team ..
- Cardiac arrest in schoolsKatayoun Lotfi
Emergency Medical Services Division, Public Health Seattle and King County, 401 Fifth Ave, Suite 1200, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Circulation 116:1374-9. 2007..The purpose of the present study is to improve understanding of the epidemiology of cardiac arrest in the school setting, with a special focus on the role of school-based automated external defibrillators...
- Travel health risk perceptions and prevention behaviors of US study abroad studentsLaurie B Hartjes
University of Wisconsin Madison School of Nursing, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Travel Med 16:338-43. 2009The number of American study abroad students increased more than 150% in the past decade, along with growth in destinations with increased health risks...
- Relative efficacy of a brief motivational intervention for college student drinkersJ G Murphy
Department of Psychology, Auburn University, Alabama 36849 5214, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 15:373-9. 2001The authors evaluated the efficacy of Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASICS: L. A. Dimeff, J. S. Baer, D. R. Kivlahan, & G. A...
- Age and gender differences in objectively measured physical activity in youthStewart G Trost
School of Human Movement Studies, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:350-5. 2002The purpose of this study was to evaluate age and gender differences in objectively measured physical activity (PA) in a population-based sample of students in grades 1-12.
- Electronic screening and brief intervention for risky drinking in Swedish university students--a randomized controlled trialDiana Stark Ekman
Division of Social Medicine and Public Health Science, Department of Medical and Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Addict Behav 36:654-9. 2011..in alcohol consumption over time after a series of e-SBIs was conducted with two groups of young adult students who were considered risky drinkers...
- Change in dietary energy density after implementation of the Texas Public School Nutrition PolicyJason A Mendoza
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service Children s Nutrition Research Center, Academic General Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, and Dan L Duncan Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:434-40. 2010..Two years of lunch food records were collected from middle school students in Southeast Texas at three public middle schools: baseline (2001-2002) and 1 year after implementation of the ..
- Understanding college students' fruit consumption. Integrating habit strength in the theory of planned behaviourGert Jan de Bruijn
Department of Communication Science, Amsterdam School of Communications Research ASCoR, University of Amsterdam, Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Appetite 54:16-22. 2010..Cross-sectional data were available from undergraduate students (n=538; mean age=21.19; S.D.=2...
- Self-medication amongst university students of Karachi: prevalence, knowledge and attitudesSyed Nabeel Zafar
Aga Khan University, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 58:214-7. 2008To determine the prevalence, attitude and knowledge of self-medication amongst university students of Karachi, Pakistan.
- Associations among condom use, sexual behavior, and knowledge about HIV/AIDS. A study of 13,293 public school studentsVilma Tapia-Aguirre
National School of Public Health of Mexico, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Mexican Ministry of Health, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Arch Med Res 35:334-43. 2004..This school-based study explored associations between Mexican young people's condom use, other sexual behaviors, and HIV/AIDS knowledge...
- Connecting to young adults: an online social network survey of beliefs and attitudes associated with prescription opioid misuse among college studentsSarah Lord
1National Development and Research Institutes, New York, USA
Subst Use Misuse 46:66-76. 2011..of motives and attitudes associated with patterns of nonmedical prescription opioid medication use among college students was conducted on Facebook, a popular online social networking Web site...
- Is use of the human papillomavirus vaccine among female college students related to human papillomavirus knowledge and risk perception?Andrea S Licht
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Sex Transm Infect 86:74-8. 2010..The aims of this study were to assess HPV vaccination rates and to examine whether knowledge and risk perceptions regarding HPV were associated with the reported use of the HPV vaccine among female college students.
- Young students' use of the Internet for mental health information and supportA Horgan
Catherine McAuley School of Nursing and Midwifery, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 17:117-23. 2010..This quantitative descriptive study aimed to elicit the views of 922 University students, aged between 18 and 24 years, on using the Internet for mental health information and support...
- Persistence of heavy drinking and ensuing consequences at heavy drinking collegesToben F Nelson
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 55454, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 70:726-34. 2009..The purpose of this study was to examine drinking levels, related harms, and secondhand effects of alcohol use at heavy drinking colleges between 1993 and 2005 at colleges with high levels of drinking in 1993...
- Poll results: look who's dopingBrendan Maher
Nature 452:674-5. 2008
- Positive and negative consequences of alcohol consumption in college studentsCrystal L Park
Department of Connecticut, University of Connecticut, 406 Babbidge Road Unit 1020, Storrs, CT 06296, USA
Addict Behav 29:311-21. 2004While the negative consequences of alcohol use in college students are well known, less is known about the relationships of these consequences to alcohol consumption patterns...
- Self-medication practices with antibiotics and antimalarials among Sudanese undergraduate university studentsAbdelmoneim I Awad
Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Kuwait University, Kuwait City, Kuwait
Ann Pharmacother 41:1249-55. 2007..In many developing countries, up to 60-80% of health problems are self-medicated...
- Childbearing, the desire to have children, and awareness about the impact of age on female fertility among Finnish university studentsAira Virtala
Finnish Student Health Service, Tampere, Finland
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 16:108-15. 2011To describe Finnish university students' childbearing histories, desires concerning childbearing, and awareness regarding the impact of age on female fertility.
- Development of a Web-based alcohol intervention for university students: processes and challengesJonathan Hallett
WA Centre for Health Promotion Research, Curtin University, Perth, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 28:31-9. 2009..We describe the process of developing and implementing an electronic screening and brief intervention in a large university population...
- Effects of Tai Chi exercise on physical and mental health of college studentsYong Tai Wang
Department of Physical Therapy, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Am J Chin Med 32:453-9. 2004..The purpose of this pilot study is to examine the effects of Tai Chi Quan, a body-mind harmony exercise, on college students' perceptions of their physical and mental health...
- School bullying and tackling strategies in Hong KongDennis S W Wong
Department of Applied Social Studies, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 48:537-53. 2004..Other than suppressive tactics, adopting a comprehensive antibullying strategy such as assisting students to develop adequate self-competency, strong social skills, and good relationships with parents and teachers seems ..
- Beliefs and attitudes related to narghile (waterpipe) smoking among university students in SyriaWasim Maziak
Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, Institute of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, University of Muenster, Germany
Ann Epidemiol 14:646-54. 2004..To assess the beliefs and attitudes related to narghile (waterpipe) smoking that are likely to contribute to its increased popularity among young people in Syria...
- Observed sex differences in fast-food consumption and nutrition self-assessments and beliefs of college studentsKristin L Morse
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583 0806, USA
Nutr Res 29:173-9. 2009Americans frequently eat fast foods, but do college students? The objective was to determine the influence of sex on fast-food consumption and nutrition self-assessments and beliefs of a group of college students...
- Prevalence of pediculosis capitis among schoolchildren in Greece and risk factors: a questionnaire surveyVladeni Soultana
Dermatology Clinic, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Thessaly, Greece
Pediatr Dermatol 26:701-5. 2009..The number of family members was correlated positively with the risk of being infected with pediculosis at least once. The children's gender, their age, and family size were correlated with the risk of infection...
- Bullying, psychosocial adjustment, and academic performance in elementary schoolGwen M Glew
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:1026-31. 2005..However, no large studies in the United States have examined the prevalence of bullying during elementary school or its association with objective measures of school attendance and achievement...
- The relationship between life satisfaction and health behavior: a cross-cultural analysis of young adultsNina Grant
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Int J Behav Med 16:259-68. 2009..Positive well-being has been associated with a range of favorable health outcomes. The contribution of health-promoting behaviors is unclear...
- Drinking and alcohol-related harm among New Zealand university students: findings from a national Web-based surveyKypros Kypri
School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales, Australia
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:307-14. 2009Alcohol-related harm is pervasive among college students in the United States of America and Canada, where a third to half of undergraduates binge drink at least fortnightly. There have been no national studies outside North America...
- An interactive web-based method of outreach to college students at risk for suicideAnn Haas
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention AFSP, New York, NY 10005, USA
J Am Coll Health 57:15-22. 2008From 2002 to 2005, the authors tested an interactive, Web-based method to encourage college students at risk for suicide to seek treatment.
- Repeated measures of recent headache, neck and upper back pain in Australian adolescentsK Grimmer
Centre for Allied Health Evidence, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Cephalalgia 26:843-51. 2006..Commencing in 1999, we followed a cohort of South Australian students through 5 years of secondary schooling...
- School absenteeism and school refusal behavior in youth: a contemporary reviewChristopher A Kearney
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV 89154 5030, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 28:451-71. 2008....
- A cohort study among university students: identification of risk factors for Epstein-Barr virus seroconversion and infectious mononucleosisDorothy H Crawford
Clinical and Molecular Virology Laboratory, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Summerhall, Edinburgh, EH9 1QH, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 43:276-82. 2006..A vaccine against Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection is in clinical trials. Up-to-date information on risk factors for EBV infection and infectious mononucleosis (IM) among young adults is required to inform a vaccination strategy...
- Correlates of cigarette smoking among male college students in Karachi, PakistanShafquat Rozi
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Public Health 7:312. 2007..Therefore, it is important to understand the factors that might influence their smoking habit. Our study aims to assess the influence of factors that encourage college students to smoke cigarettes.
- A review of studies of sexual behaviour of school students in sub-Saharan AfricaSylvia F Kaaya
Department of Psychiatry, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dares Salaam, Tanzania
Scand J Public Health 30:148-60. 2002This is a review of articles on sexual behaviour of school students in sub-Saharan Africa published between 1987 and 1999. The objective was to describe what is known in this regard and identify gaps in knowledge.
- The nature of adolescents' relationships with their "very important" nonparental adultsMargaret R Beam
University of California Irvine, USA
Am J Community Psychol 30:305-25. 2002..Theoretical and practical implications of these findings are discussed...
- Dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviour among Australian secondary students in 2005Maree Scully
Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, The Cancer Council Victoria, 1 Rathdowne Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Health Promot Int 22:236-45. 2007The aim of this study was to provide a current assessment of Australian secondary students' self-reported dietary, physical activity and sedentary behaviour...
- Objectively measured physical activity in urban alternative high school studentsJohn R Sirard
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:2088-95. 2008Alternative high school (AHS) students are an underserved population of youth at greater risk for poor health behaviors and outcomes. Little is known about their physical activity patterns.
Research Grants145 found, 100 shown here
- Determinants of Maternal and Child Health in IndiaSonalde Desai; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- DYNAMICS OF FAMILY WELL-BEING DURING ECONOMIC CRISISJohn Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- FAMILIES, COMMUNITIES AND YOUTH OUTCOMES IN SOUTH AFRICADavid Lam; Fiscal Year: 2005..The project will also analyze the effect of economic shocks and family disruption on the outcomes of young people such as school enrollment grade advancement and employment...
- Health, Environment and Social Structure in IndiaREEVE VANNEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..3. Build institutional linkages between premiere scholars in the field of environmental studies, economics, sociology and public health in India and the United States. ..
- PREPARE: Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program and Retention EnhancementJAMBOOR VISHWANATHA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Entry of underrepresented minority students into doctoral study in the biomedical sciences in Texas, and indeed, in the nation, remains low despite ..
- Female Anti-Problem Drinking Group & Campus InitiativesJoseph LaBrie; Fiscal Year: 2006..monthly alcohol-related programs with faculty/staff, and on-going alcohol and women's health programs for students. It is hypothesized that students attending WISE UP groups will report fewer alcohol-related problems, decreased ..
- Drug Abuse Trajectories in the Transition to Adulthood: Risk Factors and OutcomesAmelia M Arria; Fiscal Year: 2010An estimated 21 percent of the nation's 7.5 million full-time college students have used an illicit drug in the past month...
- Internet as Supplier: Preventing Adolescent Use of Non-Medical Addictive RxAmelia M Arria; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will obtain information directly from adolescents about their use of the internet and other sources to obtain drugs. ..
- Internet as Supplier: Preventing Adolescent Use of Non-Medical Addictive RxAmelia Arria; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study will obtain information directly from adolescents about their use of the internet and other sources to obtain drugs. ..
- Drug Abuse Trajectories in the Transition to Adulthood: Risk Factors and OutcomesAmelia Arria; Fiscal Year: 2009An estimated 21 percent of the nation's 7.5 million full-time college students have used an illicit drug in the past month...
- The Natural History and Consequences of Ecstasy UseAmelia Arria; Fiscal Year: 2007..broader implications for the description and prediction of illicit drug use patterns in general among college students. A longitudinal prospective study of a large sample of college students at the University of Maryland, College ..
- Eating Disorders Prevention: An Effectiveness Trial for At-Risk College StudentsERIC M contact STICE; Fiscal Year: 2010..inducing activities that decrease thin-ideal internalization in high-risk female high school and college students with body dissatisfaction reduces eating disorder risk factors, eating disorder symptoms, and risk for onset of ..
- Risk and Maintenance Factors for Bulimic PathologyEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- TEST OF A DISSONANCE EATING DISORDER PREVENTION PROGRAMEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus, the proposed study should be the definitive test of this new promising eating disorder prevention program and should significantly advance our knowledge regarding the prevention of this pervasive psychiatric problem. ..
- Depression Prevention Program for High-Risk AdolescentsEric Stice; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, the proposed project should provide a rigorous evaluation of this promising brief prevention program and should advance knowledge regarding the prevention of this pernicious psychiatric problem. ..
- Evaluating Alternative Retinopathy Screening ApproachesCHARLES BASCH; Fiscal Year: 2007..These interventions are practical, have potential for widespread dissemination, and can translate basic and clinical research to achieve public health benefits. ..
- TAILORED COMMUNICATIONS FOR COLORECTAL CANCER SCREENINGCHARLES BASCH; Fiscal Year: 2003..This proposal addresses the need for research assessing tailored communications to increase CRC screening in minority groups. ..
- Alcohol-Related Risky Sex PreventionMelissa Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2007..is to reduce alcohol consumption, alcohol-related risky sex, and their negative consequences among college students. Specific aims of this research will be accomplished in three distinct studies...
- Identity & Context in HIV Prevention for Hispanic YouthSETH SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of Culture in Thriving and Risk Behavior in Hispanic AdolescentsSeth J Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Provided that our hypotheses are supported, this will suggest that family strengthening interventions may be important for Hispanic immigrant families - a sizeable and rapidly growing segment of the U.S. population. ..
- The Role of Culture in Thriving and Risk Behavior in Hispanic AdolescentsSETH SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..Provided that our hypotheses are supported, this will suggest that family strengthening interventions may be important for Hispanic immigrant families - a sizeable and rapidly growing segment of the U.S. population. ..
- The Role of Culture in Thriving and Risk Behavior in Hispanic AdolescentsSeth J Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Provided that our hypotheses are supported, this will suggest that family strengthening interventions may be important for Hispanic immigrant families - a sizeable and rapidly growing segment of the U.S. population. ..
- Exploring strategies to increase school breakfast consumption in middle schoolsKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2007..is to investigate delivery methods and promotional strategies to improve SB participation among middle school students, implement the delivery methods and promotional strategies, and obtain participation rate data needed to ..
- Familys' Web: Cancer Prevention for DaughtersKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2003..This feasibility or pilot study will provide the foundation for a full scale intervention focused on dietary change. ..
- Family Eats: Cancer Prevention for FamiliesKaren Cullen; Fiscal Year: 2009..This is a relatively low cost method for improving health and quality of life. ..
- Children's Dietary Recalls: Prompts, Retention Interval, and AccuracySuzanne Domel Baxter; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Memory Errors in Children's Dietary RecallsSUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Healthful dietary habits will decrease the risk of such chronic diseases as cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Children's Dietary Recalls: Methodology and AccuracySUZANNE BAXTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results from this methodological project could have major implications for how 24hDRs are obtained from children in future national surveys, NIH-funded studies, and other studies. ..
- Nonmedical Prescription Drug Use among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. college students (e.g., Johnston et al., 2003; Mohler-Kuo et al., 2003)...
- Sexual Orientation, Substance Use and Mental HealthSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Prescription Drug Abuse Among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005The objective of this R03 application "Prescription Drug Abuse Among College Students" is to improve the understanding of nonmedical use and diversion of prescription drugs among college students...
- Personalized Feedback Intervention for Marijuana UseChristine Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..university, through the development of efficacious prevention and intervention techniques for first-year college students. Marijuana use is the most commonly used illicit substance among college students, with up to 35% of students ..
- EVENT-LEVEL ANALYSIS OF EXPECTANCIES, ALCOHOL USE, AND CONSEQUENCESChristine M Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010Alcohol use, misuse and resulting negative consequences among college students have been extensively documented...
- Event Specific PreventionChristine M Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010Heavy drinking among college students continues to be an epidemic problem throughout the United States...