Summary: Persons having a sense of persistent identification with, and expression of, gender-coded behaviors not typically associated with one's anatomical sex at birth, with or without a desire to undergo SEX REASSIGNMENT PROCEDURES.
- Sedlak C, Roller C, van Dulmen M, Alharbi H, Sanata J, Leifson M, et al. Transgender Individuals and Osteoporosis Prevention. Orthop Nurs. 2017;36:259-268 pubmed publisher..Determining TIs' bone health perception is important because of their unique healthcare issues. Healthcare providers need to be aware of TIs' bone health needs to help enhance TIs' OP knowledge, health beliefs, and preventing behaviors. ..
- Goldstein Z, Corneil T, Greene D. When Gender Identity Doesn't Equal Sex Recorded at Birth: The Role of the Laboratory in Providing Effective Healthcare to the Transgender Community. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1342-1352 pubmed publisher..The laboratory has an important role in improving the physiological understanding, electronic medical system recognition, and overall social awareness of the transgender community. ..
- Walsh D, Hendrickson S. Focusing on the "T" in LGBT: an online survey of related content in texas nursing programs. J Nurs Educ. 2015;54:347-51 pubmed publisher..6 hours. Our study suggests that, in Texas, nursing students may not be receiving sufficient content, nor do they understand transgender health needs or how to best deliver competent, compassionate care to this population. ..
- Schwarz K, Fontanari A, Schneider M, Borba Soll B, da Silva D, Spritzer P, et al. Laryngeal surgical treatment in transgender women: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Laryngoscope. 2017;127:2596-2603 pubmed publisher..The evidence produced is not conclusive regarding which surgical technique would be better for vocal treatment of transgender women. NA Laryngoscope, 127:2596-2603, 2017. ..
- Reisner S, Deutsch M, Peitzmeier S, White Hughto J, Cavanaugh T, Pardee D, et al. Comparing self- and provider-collected swabbing for HPV DNA testing in female-to-male transgender adult patients: a mixed-methods biobehavioral study protocol. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:444 pubmed publisher..Less-invasive patient-centered strategies may also generalize to other at-risk cisgender female populations that face barriers to timely and needed STI and cervical cancer screening. ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT02401867. ..
- De Pedro K, Gilreath T, Jackson C, Esqueda M. Substance Use Among Transgender Students in California Public Middle and High Schools. J Sch Health. 2017;87:303-309 pubmed publisher..90-2.53) and more than 3 times as likely to use cigarettes in school (OR = 3.37; 95% CI = 2.84-3.99). The study's findings indicate a need for community- and school-based interventions that reduce substance use among transgender youth. ..
- Giblon R, Bauer G. Health care availability, quality, and unmet need: a comparison of transgender and cisgender residents of Ontario, Canada. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:283 pubmed publisher..Trans Ontarians experience inequalities in perception and reported experiences of health care access, with 43.9% reporting a past-year unmet health care need. ..
- Hoagland B, Moreira R, De Boni R, Kallas E, Madruga J, Vasconcelos R, et al. High pre-exposure prophylaxis uptake and early adherence among men who have sex with men and transgender women at risk for HIV Infection: the PrEP Brasil demonstration project. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21472 pubmed publisher
- . Growing recognition of transgender health. Bull World Health Organ. 2016;94:790-791 pubmed..Stigma, discrimination and lack of legal recognition remain major barriers for transgender people to access the health services they need. Vijay Shankar Balakrishnan reports. ..
- Martos A, Wilson P, Meyer I. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) health services in the United States: Origins, evolution, and contemporary landscape. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180544 pubmed publisher..However, significant gaps in service remain in the United States, and LGBT community health centers may require significant transformations going forward in order to continue serving LGBT people. ..
- Levine D. Office-based care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth. Pediatrics. 2013;132:e297-313 pubmed..With appropriate assistance and care, sexual minority youth should live healthy, productive lives while transitioning through adolescence and young adulthood. ..
- Maxwell S, Noyes N, Keefe D, Berkeley A, Goldman K. Pregnancy Outcomes After Fertility Preservation in Transgender Men. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;129:1031-1034 pubmed publisher..Obstetrician-gynecologists should be familiar with the fertility needs of transgender patients so appropriate discussions and referrals can be made. ..
- Patrick R, Greenberg A, Magnus M, Opoku J, Kharfen M, Kuo I. Development of an HIV Testing Dashboard to Complement the HIV Care Continuum Among MSM, PWID, and Heterosexuals in Washington, DC, 2007-2015. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;75 Suppl 3:S397-S407 pubmed publisher..The HIV testing dashboard can be used to complement the HIV care continuum to display improvements and disparities in HIV testing and care over time. ..
- Streed C, Harfouch O, Marvel F, Blumenthal R, Martin S, Mukherjee M. Cardiovascular Disease Among Transgender Adults Receiving Hormone Therapy: A Narrative Review. Ann Intern Med. 2017;167:256-267 pubmed publisher..Despite gains in rights and media attention, the reality is that transgender persons experience health disparities, and a dearth of research and evidence-based guidelines remains regarding ..
- Krakower D, Ware N, Maloney K, Wilson I, Wong J, Mayer K. Differing Experiences with Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in Boston Among Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Specialists and Generalists in Primary Care: Implications for Scale-Up. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2017;31:297-304 pubmed publisher..12 PCPs from an urban community health center specializing in the care of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons ("LGBT specialists") and 19 PCPs from a general academic medical center ("generalists")...
- Knox A, Ho A, Leung L, Hynes S, Tashakkor A, Park Y, et al. A Review of 101 Consecutive Subcutaneous Mastectomies and Male Chest Contouring Using the Concentric Circular and Free Nipple Graft Techniques in Female-to-Male Transgender Patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139:1260e-1272e pubmed publisher..Therapeutic, III. ..
- Eyssel J, Koehler A, Dekker A, Sehner S, Nieder T. Needs and concerns of transgender individuals regarding interdisciplinary transgender healthcare: A non-clinical online survey. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183014 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate the importance of patient-centred THC that takes patients' individual needs and realities into consideration and involves patients in decision-making processes. ..
- Shires D, Jaffee K. Factors associated with health care discrimination experiences among a national sample of female-to-male transgender individuals. Health Soc Work. 2015;40:134-41 pubmed..The study's findings can be useful to social workers, who play a role in educating health care providers and advocating for policies that improve health care experiences for FTM and other transgender patients. ..
- Rossman K, Salamanca P, MACAPAGAL K. A Qualitative Study Examining Young Adults' Experiences of Disclosure and Nondisclosure of LGBTQ Identity to Health Care Providers. J Homosex. 2017;64:1390-1410 pubmed publisher..Findings confirm and extend previous research on young adults' identity disclosure and provide avenues for health professionals' continuing education when working with LGBTQ patients. ..
- Workowski K, Bolan G. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2015. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2015;64:1-137 pubmed..Physicians and other health-care providers can use these guidelines to assist in the prevention and treatment of STDs. ..
- Talan A, Drake C, Glick J, Claiborn C, Seal D. Sexual and Gender Minority Health Curricula and Institutional Support Services at U.S. Schools of Public Health. J Homosex. 2017;64:1350-1367 pubmed publisher..Improvement in this area may encourage future health care professionals to work to reduce these disparities, to improve SGM persons' experiences in health care settings, and to generate further research in this area. ..
- Wirtz A, Clouse E, Veronese V, Thu K, Naing S, Baral S, et al. New HIV testing technologies in the context of a concentrated epidemic and evolving HIV prevention: qualitative research on HIV self-testing among men who have sex with men and transgender women in Yangon, Myanmar. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21796 pubmed publisher
- Kojima N, Park H, Konda K, Joseph Davey D, Bristow C, Brown B, et al. The PICASSO Cohort: baseline characteristics of a cohort of men who have sex with men and male-to-female transgender women at high risk for syphilis infection in Lima, Peru. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:255 pubmed publisher..Recently acquired syphilis infection was associated with socio-demographic characteristics, sexual risk, and sexually transmitted co-infections. ..
- Bukowski L, Blosnich J, Shipherd J, Kauth M, Brown G, Gordon A. Exploring Rural Disparities in Medical Diagnoses Among Veterans With Transgender-related Diagnoses Utilizing Veterans Health Administration Care. Med Care. 2017;55 Suppl 9 Suppl 2:S97-S103 pubmed publisher..The addition of self-reported sex identity data within VA electronic health records is one way to advance this line of research. ..
- Fernandez J, Tannock L. METABOLIC EFFECTS OF HORMONE THERAPY IN TRANSGENDER PATIENTS. Endocr Pract. 2016;22:383-8 pubmed publisher..Although statistically significant, these changes were minimal for both cohorts. In our practice, hormone therapy was found to be safe in this retrospective study. ..
- Smith L, Yore J, Triplett D, Urada L, Nemoto T, Raj A. Impact of Sexual Violence Across the Lifespan on HIV Risk Behaviors Among Transgender Women and Cisgender People Living With HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;75:408-416 pubmed publisher..3, 95% CI: 1.7 to 50.0). A history of sexual violence is common among transgender and cisgender women PLWH, and it increases risk for drug-related harms. Transgender women are also more likely to report selling sex. ..
- Bidell M. The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Development of Clinical Skills Scale (LGBT-DOCSS): Establishing a New Interdisciplinary Self-Assessment for Health Providers. J Homosex. 2017;64:1432-1460 pubmed publisher..Psychometric properties, limitations, and recommendations are discussed. ..
- Bauer G, Braimoh J, Scheim A, Dharma C. Transgender-inclusive measures of sex/gender for population surveys: Mixed-methods evaluation and recommendations. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178043 pubmed publisher..We provide considerations for adaptation of this measure to different contexts. ..
- Chipkin S, Kim F. Ten Most Important Things to Know About Caring for Transgender Patients. Am J Med. 2017;130:1238-1245 pubmed publisher..Primary care providers also should be aware of resources in their community and online, which can help patients optimize their transition. ..
- Richardson S, Seekaew P, Koblin B, Vazquez T, Nandi V, Tieu H. Barriers and facilitators of HIV vaccine and prevention study participation among Young Black MSM and transwomen in New York City. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181702 pubmed publisher..However, further studies are needed to delineate the complex mechanisms underlying the decision-making process and establish approaches to increase study participation in this population. ..
- Dinno A. Homicide Rates of Transgender Individuals in the United States: 2010-2014. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1441-1447 pubmed publisher..0 for Blacks and all above 1.0 for Latinas. Antiviolence public health programs should identify young and Black or Latina transfeminine women as an especially vulnerable population. ..
- Hsieh S, Leininger J. Resource list: Clinical care programs for gender-nonconforming children and adolescents. Pediatr Ann. 2014;43:238-44 pubmed publisher..The following resource list--organized by U.S. and Canada geographical region--serves to help clinicians access the most up-to-date information on this special population and pass it along to their patients and families. ..
- Johnson E, Kaplan P. Caring for transgender patients with epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1667-1672 pubmed publisher..The aim of this paper is to identify and describe important medical and social considerations facing transgender persons with epilepsy...
- Pinto T, Teixeira F, Barros C, Martins R, Saggese G, Barros D, et al. [Use of industrial liquid silicone to transform the body: prevalence and factors associated with its use among transvestites and transsexual women in São Paulo, Brazil]. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33:e00113316 pubmed publisher..Finally, health policies should include demands for body changes as part of gender identity construction, respecting each person's unique needs in this transition process. ..
- Tanner A, Reboussin B, Mann L, MA A, Song E, Alonzo J, et al. Factors influencing health care access perceptions and care-seeking behaviors of immigrant Latino sexual minority men and transgender individuals: baseline findings from the HOLA intervention study. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2014;25:1679-97 pubmed publisher..g., demographics), clinic factors (e.g., provider competence and clinic environment), and structural factors (e.g., discrimination). ..
- Riley N, Blosnich J, Bear T, Reisner S. Vocal Timbre and the Classification of Respondent Sex in US Phone-Based Surveys. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1290-1294 pubmed publisher..Interviewer assumptions of respondents' sex may lead to erroneous collection of sex- and gender-based items, inhibit survey administration, and create problems in data quality. ..
- Antonelli R, Calderoni D, Garcia I, Stelini R, Fregonesi A, Kharmandayan P. Liquid silicone used for esthetic purposes as a potentiator for occurrence of post-radiotherapy genital lymphedema: case report. Sao Paulo Med J. 2017;135:185-189 pubmed publisher..It generally leads to urinary, sexual and social impairment. Clinical treatment usually has low effectiveness, and surgical resection is frequently indicated...