Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persons with no known significant health problems who are recruited to participate in research to test a new drug, device, or intervention as controls for a patient group. (from http://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/recruit/volunteers.html, accessed 2/14/2013)
Publications112 found, 100 shown here
- Chen Z, Wang G, Liang L, Lu X, Guo Q, Zhai Y, et al. [Determination of iodine content in the left ventricular myocardium of healthy subjects using dual-source dual-energy CT myocardial first perfusion imaging: a preliminary study]. Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi. 2017;45:415-418 pubmed publisher..07?0.27±0.06?0.28±0.08?0.28±0.07?0.29±0.08?0.31±0.07?0.27±0.06?0.29±0.06?0.21±0.07????17??nic?????????????????????(p?<0.05)????????????????(p?>0.05)? ??? ????????????????3.1?7.8 mg/ml??????????????. ..
- Ramezani Tehrani F, Mansournia M, Solaymani Dodaran M, Minooee S, Azizi F. Serum variations of anti-mullerian hormone and total testosterone with aging in healthy adult Iranian men: A population-based study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179634 pubmed publisher..We presented a nomogram of age-specific AMH values in a healthy cohort of Iranian men. This finding might have clinical importance in dealing hormonal disorders in men. ..
- Nikolin S, Boonstra T, Loo C, Martin D. Combined effect of prefrontal transcranial direct current stimulation and a working memory task on heart rate variability. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181833 pubmed publisher..Given the ease of HRV data collection, studies of prefrontal tDCS would benefit from collection of this data as it provides unique insight into tDCS effects resulting from propagation through brain networks. ..
- Cadacio C, Nachamkin I. A Novel Needle-Free Blood Draw Device for Sample Collection From Short Peripheral Catheters. J Infus Nurs. 2017;40:156-162 pubmed publisher..with conventional venipuncture for collecting blood samples for routine laboratory analysis from adult healthy volunteers. The PIVO device was comparable with venipuncture in terms of providing high-integrity samples (no hemolysis ..
- Guo Y, Walsh A, Fearon U, Smith M, Wechalekar M, Yin X, et al. CD40L-Dependent Pathway Is Active at Various Stages of Rheumatoid Arthritis Disease Progression. J Immunol. 2017;198:4490-4501 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that therapeutic CD40-CD40L blocking agents may prove efficacious not only in early and established RA, but also in inhibiting the progression of the disease from arthralgia or UA to RA. ..
- Tak T, Wijten P, Heeres M, Pickkers P, Scholten A, Heck A, et al. Human CD62Ldim neutrophils identified as a separate subset by proteome profiling and in vivo pulse-chase labeling. Blood. 2017;129:3476-3485 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose CD62Ldim neutrophils are a truly separate neutrophil subset that is recruited to the bloodstream in response to acute inflammation. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT01766414. ..
- Giannini D, Lombardo G, Mariotti L, Devaney N, Serrao S, Lombardo M. Reliability and Agreement Between Metrics of Cone Spacing in Adaptive Optics Images of the Human Retinal Photoreceptor Mosaic. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3127-3137 pubmed publisher..The DRPD was unreliable for describing cell distance in a human retinal cone mosaic and did not correlate with Scc and LCS. Caution is needed when comparing spacing metrics evaluated in sampling areas of different sizes. ..
- Sheridan K, Logomarsino J. Effects of serum phosphorus on vascular calcification in a healthy, adult population: A systematic review. J Vasc Nurs. 2017;35:157-169 pubmed publisher..While 8 out of 10 cross-sectional studies found an association in this systematic review, the topic of vascular calcification and serum phosphorus needs further study if a cause and effect relationship is to be detected. ..
- Tian L, Ko M, Wang L, Zhang J, Li T, Huang Y, et al. Assessment of ocular biomechanics using dynamic ultra high-speed Scheimpflug imaging in keratoconic and normal eyes. J Refract Surg. 2014;30:785-91 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to develop more comprehensive clinical applications with these new ocular biomechanical parameters. ..
- Pichereau S, Zhao X, Cui Y, Zhao S, Hohl K, Meinicke T, et al. Relative bioavailability study of linagliptin/metformin tablets in healthy Chinese subjects. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2015;53:582-92 pubmed publisher..95% (90% CI: 96.24-110.12) and 102.46% (90% CI: 92.20-113.87), respectively. SPC tablets of linagliptin and metformin were bioequivalent to separate tablets co-administered in healthy Chinese subjects. ..
- Wang X, Lindstroem R, Carstens N, Graven Nielsen T. Cervical spine reposition errors after cervical flexion and extension. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:102 pubmed publisher..The cervical spine returns to the upright positions with a 2° average absolute difference after cervical flexion and extension movements in healthy adults. ..
- Fogli S, Polini B, Carpi S, Pardini B, Naccarati A, Dubbini N, et al. Identification of plasma microRNAs as new potential biomarkers with high diagnostic power in human cutaneous melanoma. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317701646 pubmed publisher..The triple classifier had a high capacity to discriminate between melanoma patients and healthy controls, making it suitable to be used in early melanoma diagnosis. ..
- Bell K, Snijders T, Zulyniak M, Kumbhare D, Parise G, Chabowski A, et al. A whey protein-based multi-ingredient nutritional supplement stimulates gains in lean body mass and strength in healthy older men: A randomized controlled trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181387 pubmed publisher..Increases in strength were enhanced further with exercise training. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT02281331. ..
- Shin J, Kim T, Haam S, Han K, Byun M, Chang Y, et al. The repeatability of computed tomography lung volume measurements: Comparisons in healthy subjects, patients with obstructive lung disease, and patients with restrictive lung disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182849 pubmed publisher..However, the repeatability was lower in healthy individuals than it was in patients with lung diseases. ..
- Pilling L, Atkins J, Duff M, Beaumont R, Jones S, Tyrrell J, et al. Red blood cell distribution width: Genetic evidence for aging pathways in 116,666 volunteers. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185083 pubmed publisher..The predictive value of RDW for a range of negative health outcomes may in part be due to variants influencing fundamental pathways of aging. ..
- Stringham J, O Brien K, Stringham N. Contrast Sensitivity and Lateral Inhibition Are Enhanced With Macular Carotenoid Supplementation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:2291-2295 pubmed publisher..Improvement in CS with increases in MPOD therefore appears to involve enhancement of the fundamental physiological systems that give rise to edge detection. ..
- Chen Q, Hu C, Liu Y, Liu Y, Wang W, Zheng H, et al. Safety and tolerability of high-dose ulinastatin after 2-hour intravenous infusion in adult healthy Chinese volunteers: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, ascending-dose study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177425 pubmed publisher..We aimed to evaluate the safety and tolerability of high-dose ulinastatin in healthy volunteers in our single center, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, single-dose escalation study...
- He M, Ding H, He H, Zhang C, Liu L, Zhong X. Corneal biomechanical properties in healthy children measured by corneal visualization scheimpflug technology. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:70 pubmed publisher..This study found interocular symmetry in corneal biomechanics in healthy children eyes. Several CST biomechanical parameters in children are modified by CCT and IOP. ..
- Nisha K, Kumar A. Virtual Auditory Space Training-Induced Changes of Auditory Spatial Processing in Listeners with Normal Hearing. J Int Adv Otol. 2017;13:118-127 pubmed publisher..The training protocol used in the present study on a preliminary basis proves to be effective in normal-hearing listeners, and its implications can be extended to other clinical population as well. ..
- Stimson R, Anderson A, Ramage L, Macfarlane D, De Beaux A, Mole D, et al. Acute physiological effects of glucocorticoids on fuel metabolism in humans are permissive but not direct. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2017;19:883-891 pubmed publisher..The resistance of visceral adipose tissue to cortisol's lipolytic effects may contribute to the central fat accumulation observed with chronic glucocorticoid excess. ..
- Violante I, Li L, Carmichael D, Lorenz R, Leech R, Hampshire A, et al. Externally induced frontoparietal synchronization modulates network dynamics and enhances working memory performance. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings demonstrate a link between behavioral performance in a demanding WM task and large-scale brain synchronization. ..
- Wewer Albrechtsen N, Asmar A, Jensen F, TÃ¶rang S, Simonsen L, Kuhre R, et al. A sandwich ELISA for measurement of the primary glucagon-like peptide-1 metabolite. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2017;313:E284-E291 pubmed publisher..Accurate measurements of the GLP-1 metabolite may contribute to understanding its physiology and role of GLP-1 in diabetes. ..
- Pitisuttithum P, Boonnak K, Chamnanchanunt S, Puthavathana P, Luvira V, Lerdsamran H, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of a live attenuated influenza H5 candidate vaccine strain A/17/turkey/Turkey/05/133 H5N2 and its priming effects for potential pre-pandemic use: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:833-842 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that LAIV vaccination induces long-lasting memory immune responses. The limitation of this study was that part 2 was designed as a proof-of-concept study by contrast with part 1. WHO. ..
- Vital M, Howe A, Tiedje J. Revealing the bacterial butyrate synthesis pathways by analyzing (meta)genomic data. MBio. 2014;5:e00889 pubmed publisher..This study will help in understanding the role of butyrate producers in health and disease and may assist the development of treatments for functional dysbiosis. ..
- Miki T, Shimada H, Kim J, Yamamoto Y, Sugino M, Kowa H, et al. Brain uptake and safety of Flutemetamol F 18 injection in Japanese subjects with probable Alzheimer's disease, subjects with amnestic mild cognitive impairment and healthy volunteers. Ann Nucl Med. 2017;31:260-272 pubmed publisher..Alzheimer's disease (pAD), 20 with amnestic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI), and 25 cognitively normal healthy volunteers[HVs]) underwent PET brain imaging after intravenous Flutemetamol F 18 Injection (185 MBq)...
- Santos Díaz A, Valdes Cristerna R, Vallejo E, Hernandez S, Jimenez Angeles L. Automated Classification of Severity in Cardiac Dyssynchrony Merging Clinical Data and Mechanical Descriptors. Comput Math Methods Med. 2017;2017:3087407 pubmed publisher..These results seem promising in using this automated method for clinical follow-up of patients undergoing CRT. ..
- Emanuele E, Bertona M, Biagi M. Comparative effects of a fixed Polypodium leucotomos/Pomegranate combination versus Polypodium leucotomos alone on skin biophysical parameters. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2017;38:38-42 pubmed
- Chen H, Liu C, Wu W, Tseng H, Lee Y. Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography of the Superficial Microvasculature in the Macular and Peripapillary Areas in Glaucomatous and Healthy Eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3637-3645 pubmed publisher..The measurement of the macular superficial vessel density had similar diagnostic accuracy to peripapillary RNFL and macular GCC thickness for differentiating between glaucomatous and healthy eyes. ..
- Salsano S, QuiÃ±onero A, PÃ©rez S, Garrido GÃ³mez T, SimÃ³n C, Dominguez F. Dynamic expression of PGRMC1 and SERBP1 in human endometrium: an implication in the human decidualization process. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:832-842.e1 pubmed publisher..The human decidualization process could be altered by the overexpression or mislocalization of PGRMC1 in ESC. ..
- Nesper P, Roberts P, Onishi A, Chai H, Liu L, Jampol L, et al. Quantifying Microvascular Abnormalities With Increasing Severity of Diabetic Retinopathy Using Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:BIO307-BIO315 pubmed publisher..We quantified retinal and choriocapillaris microvascular changes in healthy control eyes and different stages of diabetic retinopathy (DR) using optical coherence tomography angiography (OCTA)...
- Michaeli B, Martinez A, Revelly J, Cayeux M, Chioléro R, Tappy L, et al. Effects of endotoxin on lactate metabolism in humans. Crit Care. 2012;16:R139 pubmed publisher..Muscle is, however, unlikely to be a major contributor to this increase in lactate production. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01647997. ..
- Park J, McAnany J. Effect of stimulus size and luminance on the rod-, cone-, and melanopsin-mediated pupillary light reflex. J Vis. 2015;15: pubmed publisher..These findings highlight important differences in how stimulus luminance and size combine to govern the PLR elicited by brief flashes under rod-, cone-, and melanopsin-mediated conditions. ..
- Schneck E, Samara O, Koch C, Hecker A, Padberg W, Lichtenstern C, et al. Plasma DNA and RNA differentially impact coagulation during abdominal sepsis-an explorative study. J Surg Res. 2017;210:231-243 pubmed publisher..A total of 15 patients with sepsis, 10 postoperative patients, and 10 healthy volunteers were included in this longitudinal study...
- Guo T, Sampathkumar S, Fan S, Morris N, Wang F, Toris C. Aqueous humour dynamics and biometrics in the ageing Chinese eye. Br J Ophthalmol. 2017;101:1290-1296 pubmed publisher..Ageing is also associated with shallowing of the anterior chamber and thinning of the cornea. A slower Fa with lower outflow facility supports existence of autoregulatory mechanisms. ..
- Serebrovska T, Portnychenko A, Drevytska T, Portnichenko V, Xi L, Egorov E, et al. Intermittent hypoxia training in prediabetes patients: Beneficial effects on glucose homeostasis, hypoxia tolerance and gene expression. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2017;242:1542-1552 pubmed publisher..This small clinical trial has provided new data suggesting a potential utility of IHT for management of prediabetes patients...
- Berg R, Plovsing R, Evans K, Christiansen C, Bailey D, Holstein Rathlou N, et al. Lipopolysaccharide infusion enhances dynamic cerebral autoregulation without affecting cerebral oxygen vasoreactivity in healthy volunteers. Crit Care. 2013;17:R238 pubmed publisher..A total of ten healthy volunteers were exposed to acute isocapnic inspiratory hyperoxia (FIO??=?40%) and hypoxia (FIO??=?12%) before and after ..
- Vogel J, Varga Doležalová M, La Joie R, Marks S, Schwimmer H, Landau S, et al. Subjective cognitive decline and β-amyloid burden predict cognitive change in healthy elderly. Neurology. 2017;89:2002-2009 pubmed publisher..Evidence for amyloid alone is not sufficient to indicate risk of rapid cognitive decline in healthy elderly. Effects of GDS on cognitive decline in nondepressed cohorts may be driven by SCD rather than subsyndromal depression. ..
- Crauwels H, van Heeswijk R, Buelens A, Stevens M, Hoetelmans R. Lack of an effect of rilpivirine on the pharmacokinetics of ethinylestradiol and norethindrone in healthy volunteers. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2014;52:118-28 pubmed publisher..Rilpivirine pharmacokinetics was not affected by ethinylestradiol/norethindrone. Rilpivirine (25 mg once daily) can be co-administered with ethinylestradiol/norethindrone-based contraceptives without dose modification. ..
- Tozawa K, Oshima T, Okugawa T, Ogawa T, Ohda Y, Tomita T, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of rebamipide for gastric mucosal injury taking aspirin with or without clopidogrel. Dig Dis Sci. 2014;59:1885-90 pubmed..GSRS score and hemoglobin level were not significantly different among the four groups. Rebamipide is useful for the primary prevention of gastric mucosal injury induced by LDA alone or by LDA plus clopidogrel in healthy subjects. ..
- Knez J, Winckelmans E, Plusquin M, Thijs L, Cauwenberghs N, Gu Y, et al. Correlates of Peripheral Blood Mitochondrial DNA Content in a General Population. Am J Epidemiol. 2016;183:138-46 pubmed publisher..Blood mtDNA content is also influenced by platelet and white blood cell counts and estroprogestogen intake. Further studies are required to clarify the impact of chronic inflammation and hormone therapy on mitochondrial function. ..
- Alkahtani S. A cross-sectional study on sarcopenia using different methods: reference values for healthy Saudi young men. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:119 pubmed publisher..001). The cut-off values for sarcopenia indices for Saudi young men are different from those of other ethnicities. The use of tailored cut-off reference values instead of a general cut-off for BIA devices is recommended. ..
- Takyar V, Nath A, Beri A, Gharib A, Rotman Y. How healthy are the "Healthy volunteers"? Penetrance of NAFLD in the biomedical research volunteer pool. Hepatology. 2017;66:825-833 pubmed publisherb>Healthy volunteers are crucial for biomedical research. Inadvertent inclusion of subjects with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) as controls can compromise study validity and subject safety...
- Mulu W, Abera B, Mekonnen Z, Adem Y, Yimer M, Zenebe Y, et al. Haematological and CD4+ T cells reference ranges in healthy adult populations in Gojjam zones in Amhara region, Ethiopia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181268 pubmed publisher..We recommend further study considering gender, altitude, and residency in other parts of Ethiopia to establish national reference ranges for Ethiopian population. ..
- Mataki N, Tomidokoro A, Araie M, Iwase A. Morphology of the optic disc in the Tajimi Study population. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2017;61:441-447 pubmed publisher..There was no significant difference between normal and OAG eyes evaluated by disc morphology and DF/DD ratio. ..
- C Guardo A, Gómez C, Diaz Brito V, Pich J, Arnaiz J, Perdiguero B, et al. Safety and vaccine-induced HIV-1 immune responses in healthy volunteers following a late MVA-B boost 4 years after the last immunization. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186602 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the long-term durability of vaccine-induced responses and the safety and immunogenicity of an additional MVA-B boost...
- WoÅºniak KwaÅ›niewska A, Szekely D, Aussedat P, Bougerol T, David O. Changes of oscillatory brain activity induced by repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in healthy subjects. Neuroimage. 2014;88:91-9 pubmed publisher..Only decreases of fast activity following active rTMS could be detected as significant when compared to Sham stimulation. ..
- Howell A, Souza D, Roller M, Fromentin E. Comparison of the Anti-Adhesion Activity of Three Different Cranberry Extracts on Uropathogenic P-fimbriated Escherichia coli: a Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo Controlled, Ex Vivo, Acute Study. Nat Prod Commun. 2015;10:1215-8 pubmed..All three cranberry extracts significantly increased anti-adhesion activity in urine. from 6 to 12 hours after intake of a single dose standardized to deliver 36 mg of PACs (as measured by the BL-DMAC method), versus placebo. ..
- Muss C, Mosgoeller W, Endler T. Mood improving Potential of a Vitamin Trace Element Composition--A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled clinical study with healthy volunteers. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2016;37:18-28 pubmed..001). Serotonin levels droped after 6 months indicating a low risk for overdosing. We conclude that a continuous supply with ingredients from the natural source compound LaVita' may contribute to mood improving neurotransmitter activity. ..
- Consejo A, Radhakrishnan H, Iskander D. Scleral changes with accommodation. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2017;37:263-274 pubmed publisher..D.)). Differences were also found between different meridians. Scleral shape undergoes changes with accommodation and this phenomenon is more pronounced in myopes than emmetropes. ..
- Roelfsema F, Yang R, Olson T, Joyner M, Takahashi P, Veldhuis J. Enhanced Coupling Within Gonadotropic and Adrenocorticotropic Axes by Moderate Exercise in Healthy Men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:2482-2490 pubmed publisher..Exercise elicits incompletely defined adaptations of metabolic and endocrine milieu, including the gonadotropic and corticotropic axes...
- Chung J, Koutsari C, Blachnio Zabielska A, Hames K, Jensen M. Intramyocellular Ceramides: Subcellular Concentrations and Fractional De Novo Synthesis in Postabsorptive Humans. Diabetes. 2017;66:2082-2091 pubmed publisher..435; P = 0.002). We conclude that skeletal muscle SS ceramides, especially C16 to C18 chain lengths and the de novo synthesis of intramyocellular ceramide from plasma palmitate are associated with markers of insulin resistance. ..
- Dotto P, Berezovsky A, Sacai P, Rocha D, SalomÃ£o S. Gender-based normative values for pattern-reversal and flash visually evoked potentials under binocular and monocular stimulation in healthy adults. Doc Ophthalmol. 2017;135:53-67 pubmed publisher..Additional analysis including inter-peak intervals and binocular summation ratio might improve the diagnostic power of VEP. ..
- Liu J, Green W, Van Stavern G, Culican S. Assessing the utility of 2.5% phenylephrine for diagnostic pupillary dilation. Can J Ophthalmol. 2017;52:349-354 pubmed publisher..A single-dilating-agent regimen using tropicamide could be considered in routine clinical practice. ..
- Kato K, Kondo M, Nagashima R, Sugawara A, Sugimoto M, Matsubara H, et al. Factors Affecting Mydriasis-Free Flicker ERGs Recorded With Real-Time Correction for Retinal Illuminance: Study of 150 Young Healthy Subjects. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5280-5286 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to determine what factors affect the fundamental components of the flicker ERGs recorded by RETeval in young healthy subjects...
- Elbaz M, Calkoen E, Westenberg J, Lelieveldt B, Roest A, van der Geest R. Vortex flow during early and late left ventricular filling in normal subjects: quantitative characterization using retrospectively-gated 4D flow cardiovascular magnetic resonance and three-dimensional vortex core analysis. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2014;16:78 pubmed publisher..With full ethical approval, twenty-four healthy volunteers (mean age: 20±10 years) underwent whole-heart 4D Flow CMR...
- Meulders A, Vandael K, Vlaeyen J. Generalization of Pain-Related Fear Based on Conceptual Knowledge. Behav Ther. 2017;48:295-310 pubmed publisher..This pattern was not corroborated in the eyeblink startle measures. This is the first study that demonstrates that pain-related fear can be acquired and generalized based on conceptual knowledge. ..
- Goretti B, Niccolai C, Hakiki B, Sturchio A, Falautano M, Minacapelli E, et al. The Brief International Cognitive Assessment for Multiple Sclerosis (BICAMS): normative values with gender, age and education corrections in the Italian population. BMC Neurol. 2014;14:171 pubmed publisher..The study provided normative data of the BICAMS for the Italian population confirming good test-retest reliability which can facilitate the use of the battery in clinical practice, also for longitudinal patient assessments. ..
- Dabir D, Child N, Kalra A, Rogers T, Gebker R, Jabbour A, et al. Reference values for healthy human myocardium using a T1 mapping methodology: results from the International T1 Multicenter cardiovascular magnetic resonance study. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2014;16:69 pubmed publisher..We show transferability for a unifying T1 mapping methodology in a multicenter setting. We provide reference ranges for T1 values in healthy human myocardium, which can be applied across participating sites. ..
- Parsons Rich D, Hua F, Li G, Kantaridis C, Pittman D, Arkin S. Phase 1 dose-escalating study to evaluate the safety, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics of a recombinant factor Xa variant (FXaI16L ). J Thromb Haemost. 2017;15:931-937 pubmed publisher..The safety profile, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics observed in this clinical trial support the further development of FXaI16L for hemostatic treatment in individuals with acute hemorrhagic conditions. ..
- Tang Y, Hu K, Huang W, Wang C, Liu Z, Chen Y, et al. Effects of FMO3 Polymorphisms on Pharmacokinetics of Sulindac in Chinese Healthy Male Volunteers. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:4189678 pubmed publisher..The two FMO3 mutants were in close linkage disequilibrium and might play an important role in the pharmacokinetics of sulindac in Chinese healthy male volunteers. ..
- Galle S, Malcolm P, Collins S, De Clercq D. Reducing the metabolic cost of walking with an ankle exoskeleton: interaction between actuation timing and power. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017;14:35 pubmed publisher..Our optimal assistance onset timing and average power levels could be used for other exoskeletons to improve assistance and resulting benefits. ..
- Akıl H, Dastiridou A, Marion K, Francis B, Chopra V. Repeatability, reproducibility, agreement characteristics of 2 SD-OCT devices for anterior chamber angle measurements. Can J Ophthalmol. 2017;52:166-170 pubmed publisher..1) mm for SL-AOD and 0.006 (LoA -0.096 to 0.108) mm in SL-TISA. Both devices were able to provide consistent angle measurements, but repeatability and reproducibility were better in Cirrus SD-OCT than in Nidek RS 3000 Advanced SD-OCT. ..
- Li D, Radulescu A, Shrestha R, Root M, Karger A, Killeen A, et al. Association of Biotin Ingestion With Performance of Hormone and Nonhormone Assays in Healthy Adults. JAMA. 2017;318:1150-1160 pubmed publisher..Excess biotin in blood due to supplemental biotin ingestion may affect biotin-streptavidin binding, leading to potential clinical misinterpretation. However, the degree of interference remains undefined in healthy adults...
- Khairuddin H, Malik A, Mumtaz W, Kamel N, Xia L. Analysis of EEG signals regularity in adults during video game play in 2D and 3D. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2013;2013:2064-7 pubmed publisher..Based on these two parameters, our results showed that the complexity level increased from eyes closed to eyes open condition; and further increased in the case of 3D as compared to 2D game play. ..
- Young V, Mariano M, Tu C, Allaire K, Avdic S, Slobedman B, et al. Modulation of the Host Environment by Human Cytomegalovirus with Viral Interleukin 10 in Peripheral Blood. J Infect Dis. 2017;215:874-882 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that vIL-10 may play a key role in sensing or modifying the host environment during latency and, therefore, may be a potential target for intervention strategies. ..
- Riede Pult B, Evans K, Pult H. Investigating the Short-term Effect of Eyelid Massage on Corneal Topography. Optom Vis Sci. 2017;94:700-706 pubmed publisher..0 grade units [±0.3]; T4: 1.9 [±0.3]; P = .021). Eyelid warming followed by eyelid massage appears to be a safe procedure, without any clinically relevant short-term effects on the cornea. ..
- Amarasekera A, Assadi Khansari B, Liu S, Black M, Dymmott G, Rogers N, et al. Vitamin D supplementation lowers thrombospondin-1 levels and blood pressure in healthy adults. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174435 pubmed publisher..D supplementation on markers of: 1) nitric oxide (NO) signaling, 2) inflammation, and 3) fibrosis, in healthy volunteers with mild hypovitaminosis...
- Merz T, Pereira A, Schürch R, Schefold J, Jakob S, Takala J, et al. Mitochondrial function of immune cells in septic shock: A prospective observational cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178946 pubmed publisher..and IL-6) and anti-inflammatory (IL-10) cytokine plasma concentrations were compared to samples from 20 healthy volunteers. Large variations in mitochondrial enzymatic activities of immune cells of septic patients were detected...
- Teraishi T, Sasayama D, Hori H, Yamamoto N, Fujii T, Matsuo J, et al. Possible association between common variants of the phenylalanine hydroxylase (PAH) gene and memory performance in healthy adults. Behav Brain Funct. 2013;9:30 pubmed publisher..0091). Our findings suggest that common genetic variations in PAH are associated with verbal memory in healthy adults. Unknown functional polymorphisms in PAH or those in other genes nearby might affect memory performance. ..
- Gundersen T, JÃ¸rgensen N, Andersson A, Bang A, Nordkap L, SkakkebÃ¦k N, et al. Association Between Use of Marijuana and Male Reproductive Hormones and Semen Quality: A Study Among 1,215 Healthy Young Men. Am J Epidemiol. 2015;182:473-81 pubmed publisher..Marijuana smokers had higher levels of testosterone within the same range as cigarette smokers. Our findings are of public interest as marijuana use is common and may be contributing to recent reports of poor semen quality. ..
- Lauermann J, Heiduschka P, Nelis P, Treder M, Alnawaiseh M, Clemens C, et al. Comparison of Choriocapillaris Flow Measurements between Two Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography Devices. Ophthalmologica. 2017;237:238-246 pubmed publisher..Signal strength was 64.6 ± 8.9 (Angiovue) and 9.5 ± 0.8 (Angioplex). Both devices showed low intra-device variability and a high inter-device correlation. CC decorrelation signal index was negatively correlated with advancing age. ..
- Yilmaz D, Heper Y, Gözler L. Effect of the Use of Buzzy® during Phlebotomy on Pain and Individual Satisfaction in Blood Donors. Pain Manag Nurs. 2017;18:260-267 pubmed publisher..05). Results indicate that use of the Buzzy device was an effective method of reducing the pain of phlebotomy and increasing phlebotomy satisfaction in healthy adult male blood donors. ..
- Xu D, Verma A, Garg A, Bruner M, Fazel Rezai R, Blaber A, et al. Significant role of the cardiopostural interaction in blood pressure regulation during standing. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H568-H577 pubmed publisher..In addition, we observed a reduction of baroreflex-mediated blood pressure regulation after exercise. ..
- Regueiro M, Nascimento W, Parreira L, Dantas R. Videofluoroscopic analysis of different volumes of liquid bolus swallowing in healthy individuals: comparison between height and sex. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2017;72:693-697 pubmed publisher..The aim of this investigation was to determine the influence of sex and corporal height on the pharyngeal transit modification produced by the swallowed bolus volume...
- Flores G, Caporaso J, Henley J, Rideout J, Domogala D, Chase J, et al. Temporal variability is a personalized feature of the human microbiome. Genome Biol. 2014;15:531 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our findings show that, not only is the composition of an individual's microbiome highly personalized, but their degree of temporal variability is also a personalized feature. ..