Genomes and Genes
south american indians
Summary: Individual members of South American ethnic groups with historic ancestral origins in Asia.
Publications151 found, 100 shown here
- Cytochrome P4501A1 polymorphisms in South American IndiansK Kvitko
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Hum Biol 72:1039-43. 2000..The most common haplotype in South Amerindians was *val/*m2 (54% to 94%). This prevalence is the highest that has been observed in any world population...
- Human herpesvirus 8 in Brazilian Amerindians: a hyperendemic population with a new subtypeR J Biggar
Viral Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA nih gov
J Infect Dis 181:1562-8. 2000..Transmission is probably oral rather than sexual. The limited genetic pool in isolated groups may permit more frequent transmission of a virus with a low prevalence in heterogeneous populations...
- Use of medicinal plants and pharmaceuticals by indigenous communities in the Bolivian Andes and AmazonIna Vandebroek
Research Associate, Ghent University, Laboratory of Tropical and Subtropical Agriculture and Ethnobotany, Coupure Links 653, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Bull World Health Organ 82:243-50. 2004....
- Genotypic characterization of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus in asymptomatic infected subjects from isolated populationsDenise Whitby
Viral Epidemiology Section, AIDS Vaccine Program, SAIC Frederick, NCI Frederick, MD 21701, USA
J Gen Virol 85:155-63. 2004..The heterogeneity of the KSHV strains found in these subjects from Botswana contrasts with the homogeneity of KSHV strains in Amerindians, reflecting differences in the evolutionary history of these populations...
- [Tuberculosis among Trio-Indians in Surinam]R van Crevel
Universitair Medisch Centrum St Radboud, afd Interne Geneeskunde, Postbus 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:425-9. 2004..Evaluation of the extent and possible causes of the increased incidence of tuberculosis among Amazonian Indians in Surinam...
- High diversity of HHV-8 molecular subtypes in the Amazon region of Brazil: evidence of an ancient human infectionMarluísa de Oliveira Guimarães Ishak
Virus Laboratory, Universidade Federal do Para, Brazil
J Med Virol 79:1537-44. 2007....
- Human herpesvirus-8 infection and oral shedding in Amerindian and non-Amerindian populations in the Brazilian Amazon regionVanda A U F de Souza
Laboratory of Virology, São Paulo Institute of Tropical Medicine and Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brasil
J Infect Dis 196:844-52. 2007..Human herpesvirus type 8 (HHV-8) is hyperendemic in Amerindian populations, but its modes of transmission are unknown...
- Increasing seroprevalence of human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) with age confirms HHV-8 endemicity in Amazon Amerindians from BrazilA M G Cunha
Department of Clinical Pathology and Internal Medicine, School of Medical Sciences State University of Campinas UNICAMP, Brazil
J Gen Virol 86:2433-7. 2005....
- A novel HLA-DRB1 allele (DRB1*0417) in South American IndiansS Zhang
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 8886
Immunogenetics 38:463. 1993
- Malaria epidemiology in the Pakaanóva (Wari') Indians, Brazilian AmazonD Ribeiro Sá
Centro de Estudos em Saúde do Indio de Rondônia, Universidade Federal de Rondonia, Av Presidente Dutra 2965, Porto Velho, RO 78900 500, Brazil
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 98:28-32. 2005....
- HLA class II diversity in seven Amerindian populations. Clues about the origins of the AchéL T Tsuneto
Laboratorio de Genetica Molecular Humana, Departamento de Genetica, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, PR, Brazil Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Maringa, PR, Brazil
Tissue Antigens 62:512-26. 2003..On the basis of genetic distance and the HLA allele/haplotype set, we propose that the Aché are differentiated Tupi-Guarani group, most closely related to the Guarani-M'byá...
- Cross-sectional study defines difference in malaria morbidity in two Yanomami communities on Amazonian boundary between Brazil and VenezuelaTeodardo José Marcano
Departamento de Medicina Tropical, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil 4365, 21045 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 99:369-76. 2004....
- Mitochondrial DNA and Alu insertions in a genetically peculiar population: the Ayoreo Indians of Bolivia and ParaguayC L Dornelles
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Caixa Postal 15053, 91501 970, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Am J Hum Biol 16:479-88. 2004..Therefore, they are clearly distinct in relation to their mtDNA only, suggesting a strong founder effect and/or random loss of variability in this system...
- Is haplogroup X present in extant South American Indians?Cláudia L Dornelles
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 91501 970 Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Am J Phys Anthropol 127:439-48. 2005..The tests involved all the control region, as well as the presence of characteristic mutations in seven coding fragments, totalling 5,760 base pairs. The results indicate that haplogroup X is not present in these samples...
- Demographic and evolutionary trajectories of the Guarani and Kaingang natives of BrazilAndrea R Marrero
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 91501 970 Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Am J Phys Anthropol 132:301-10. 2007..Using these data and those of other Tupian and Jêan tribes, it was possible to make inferences about past migratory movements and the genetic differentiation of these populations...
- Ethnobotanical knowledge shared widely among Tsimane' Amerindians, BoliviaV Reyes-Garcia
Tropical Conservation and Development Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Science 299:1707. 2003
- Snuff synergy: preparation, use and pharmacology of yopo and Banisteriopsis caapi among the Piaroa of southern VenezuelaRobin Rodd
Anthropology Department, University of Western Australia, Nedlands
J Psychoactive Drugs 34:273-9. 2002..caapi by Piaroa shamans is pharmacologically and ethnobotanically significant, and substantiates claims of the use of admixtures in snuff; further ethnographic investigation of the snuff hallucinogen complex is necessary...
- [Seroepidemiology of hepatitis B and C in Kaingang Indians in the south of Brazil]Aline Ferreira
Universidade Federal do Parana, Hospital de Clinicas, Departamento de Patologia Médica, Laboratorio de Imunopatologia, Curitiba PR, Brazil
Rev Panam Salud Publica 20:230-5. 2006..To investigate the prevalence of infection with hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) among Kaingang Indians living on the Mangueirinha reservation in the state of Paraná, Brazil...
- Blood feud: a controversy over South American DNA samples held in North American laboratories ripples through anthropologyDavid Glenn
Chron High Educ 52:A14-6, A18. 2006
- Nutritional status and anemia in Suruí Indian children, Brazilian AmazonJesem D Y Orellana
Centro de Pesquisa Leônidas e Maria Deane, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Manaus, AM, Brasil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 82:383-8. 2006..To assess the nutritional status of Suruí Indian children aged less than 10 years by means of anthropometric measurements and determination of hemoglobin concentration levels...
- Epidemiological aspects of retrovirus (HTLV) infection among Indian populations in the Amazon Region of BrazilRicardo Ishak
Laboratorio de Virologia, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal do Para, Belem, PA, 66040 970, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 19:901-14. 2003..HIV, the other human retrovirus, is still not prevalent among indigenous communities in the Brazilian Amazon, but these groups are also easy targets for the virus...
- Y-chromosome genetic variation in Rio de Janeiro populationDayse A Silva
Laboratório de Diagnósticos por DNA, Departamento de Ensino de Ciências e Biologia, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, 524 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Hum Biol 18:829-37. 2006..These observations can be interpreted as the signature of the strong gender asymmetry of the admixture processes in colonial systems...
- Demographic and genetic structures of two partially isolated communities of Santa Catarina Island, southern BrazilIlíada Rainha de Souza
Labratório de Polimorfismos Genéticos, Departamento de Biologia Celular, Embriologia e Genetica, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Caixa Postal 470, CEP 88040 900, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Hum Biol 75:241-53. 2003....
- Application of an African Ancestry Index as a genomic control approach in a Brazilian populationV M Zembrzuski
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 91501 970 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Ann Hum Genet 70:822-8. 2006..Therefore we have shown that it is possible to control for population stratification by choosing individuals, without the loss of statistical power that occurs with the use of other methods of genomic control...
- Cross-sectional study of oral mucosal conditions among a central Amazonian Indian community, BrazilPaulo José Benevides dos Santos
FCECON, Fundação Centro de Controle de Oncologia Cancer Hospital, Manaus, AM, Brazil
J Oral Pathol Med 33:7-12. 2004..These Indians keep their traditional way of life and are free from habits such as smoking, alcohol drinking, and use of pacifiers...
- Low levels of STRP variability are not universal in American IndiansMara H Hutz
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Caixa Postal 15053, 91501 970 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Hum Biol 74:791-806. 2002..Previous suggestions of population bottlenecks in the prehistorical colonization of the New World were not confirmed. On the other hand, STRPs again showed to be good markers for the establishment of population relationships...
- [Serological survey of Toxoplasma gondii infection in isolated Amerindians, Mato Grosso]Maria Regina Reis Amendoeira
Departamento de Protozoologia do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz da Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Av Brasil 4365, Pavilhão Arthur Neiva, saia 1B, 21045 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 36:671-6. 2003....
- Retrospective study of malaria prevalence and Anopheles genus in the area of influence of the Binational Itaipu ReservoirAna Lucia Falavigna-Guilherme
Laboratório de Parasitologia Básica, Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, 87020 900 Maringa, PR, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 47:81-6. 2005..Concomitantly, it is necessary to plan and apply effective surveillance measures in the influence area of the Itaipu Reservoir...
- HLA genes in Lamas Peruvian-Amazonian AmerindiansJuan Moscoso
Departments of Inmunologia and Medicina Interna, Hospital 12 Octubre, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Mol Immunol 43:1881-9. 2006....
- Variation in the FcgammaR3B gene among distinct Brazilian populationsD T Covas
University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Tissue Antigens 65:178-82. 2005..In general, these data reveal variability in the frequency of alleles of the FCGR3B gene compared to other populations of the same genetic background in other regions of the world...
- [Hepatitis A virus infection in Amerindian area in the east Brazilian Amazon]Heloisa Marceliano Nunes
Instituto Evandro Chagas da Secretaria de Vigilância em Saúde do Ministério da Saúde, Belem, PA
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:52-6. 2004..5% with recent infection, characterizing in laboratorial basis, the outbreak of infection for the virus of the hepatitis A and raising the possibility to be associated with the obit happened in the village...
- [Hepatitis B and D virus infection within Amerindians ethnic groups in the Brazilian Amazon: epidemiological aspects]Wornei Silva Miranda Braga
Fundacao de Medicina Tropical do Amazonas, Manaus, AM
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 37:9-13. 2004..Amerindians population and their genetic memory are a live experiment, which demands a broad investigation, weighting with modern tools, as molecular biology, the influence of historical, genetic, medical and anthropological factors...
- [Physical growth and nutritional profile of the Xavánte indigenous population in Sangradouro-Volta Grande, Mato Grosso, Brazil]Maurício Soares Leite
Dept of Nutrition, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Health Sciences Center, Trindade University Campus, Florianopolis, SC 88040 900, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 22:265-76. 2006....
- Frequency of CCR5delta32 in Brazilian populationsA E Vargas
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 39:321-5. 2006..However, in Brazil as a whole, this allele shows gradients indicating a relatively good correlation with the classification based on skin color and other physical traits, used here to define major Brazilian population groups...
- Geography influences microsatellite polymorphism diversity in AmerindiansFabiana B Kohlrausch
Departamento de Genetica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 91501 970 Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Am J Phys Anthropol 126:463-70. 2005..New evidence from this study supports the hypothesis that the Ache population descends from a Ge group that preceded the Guarani colonization of Paraguay...
- Prevalence and risk factors associated with Helicobacter pylori infection in native populations from Brazilian Western AmazonR P Almeida Cunha
Center for Research in Tropical Medicine, BR 364, km 3, 5 Porto Velho, Rondonia, CEP 78900 000, Brazil
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:382-6. 2003..3 persons/room (SD = 1.8), varying significantly between the 3 communities (P = 0.001). These data provide further evidence supporting direct person-to-person spread of the bacterium...
- Lack of Arg972 polymorphism in the IRS1 gene in Parakanã Brazilian IndiansRosangela M N Bezerra
Departamento de Clinica Medica, FCM UNICAMP, Campinas, SP Brazil 13081 970
Hum Biol 76:147-51. 2004....
- Heterogeneity of the Y chromosome in Afro-Brazilian populationsKiyoko Abe-Sandes
Centro de Terapia Celular, Hemocentro de Ribeirao Preto, Rua Tenente Catao Roxo, 2501, 14051 140 Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Hum Biol 76:77-86. 2004..The results agree with historical and social data about the formation of the Brazilian population and reveal some of the factors that contribute to its heterogeneity...
- Tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-10 gene promoter polymorphisms in Brazilian population and in Terena IndiansA G Albuquerque
Rio de Janeiro State University, Immunogenetic Laboratory, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Transplant Proc 36:825-6. 2004..05). The genetic cytokine profile may be required to balance the restricted HLA repertoire for peptide presentation in this native population...
- Allele frequencies data and statistic parameters for 13 STR loci in a population of the Brazilian Amazon RegionElzemar Martins Ribeiro Rodrigues
Laboratório de Genética Humana e Médica, Departamento de Patologia, Universidade Federal do Para, Brazil
Forensic Sci Int 168:244-7. 2007..999999999992% and 99.9998%, respectively. In conclusion, these 13 markers are suitable for forensic analysis and paternity tests of the Amazonian population...
- Prevalence of IgG varicella zoster virus antibodies in the Kuikuro and Kaiabi indigenous communities in Xingu National Park, Brazil, before varicella vaccinationManuel Mindlin Lafer
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 47:139-42. 2005....
- Prevalence and genetic diversity of TT virus genotype 21 (YONBAN virus) in BrazilH C F Vasconcelos
Department of Clinical Analyses, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Brazil
Arch Virol 148:517-29. 2003..Among non-Indians, a clustering of strains was observed according to their country of origin (Japan or Brazil), with all 17 sequences derived from Brazilian patients located in a unique subgroup...
- An anthropological study about epilepsy in native tribes from Central and South AmericaFrancisco Javier Carod-Artal
Department of Neurology, Sarah Hospital, The Sarah Network of Rehabilitation Hospitals, Brasilia DF, Brazil
Epilepsia 48:886-93. 2007..The objective of this paper was to study native perception and myths about epilepsy, their magic-religious healing rites and ceremonies, and the natural treatments that archaic cultures used...
- Differential antibody recognition of four allelic variants of the merozoite surface protein-2 (MSP-2) of Plasmodium falciparumR Tonhosolo
Department of Parasitology, Institute for Biomedical Sciences, , SP, Brazil
J Eukaryot Microbiol 48:556-64. 2001..The potential role of naturally acquired variant-specific antibodies in immune evasion, by selecting mutant parasites carrying insertions or deletions of repeat sequences, is briefly discussed...
- Genetic contribution of major histocompatibility complex class II region to type 1 autoimmune hepatitis susceptibility in VenezuelaMaría del Pilar Fortes
Institute of Immunology, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Liver Int 27:1409-16. 2007..Type 1 AIH has been associated with DRB1*03, DRB1*04 and DRB3 alleles in European and North American Caucasians, with DRB1*0405 in Japanese, with DRB1*0404 in Mexican, and with DRB1*1301 in Argentinean populations...
- [Seasonality and nutritional status of indigenous peoples: the case of Wari' in Rondônia State, Brazil]Maurício Soares Leite
Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 23:2631-42. 2007..Seasonality is an important factor when defining nutritional surveillance protocols and discussing the nutritional status of indigenous peoples...
- Distribution of CCR5-delta32, CCR2-64I, and SDF1-3'A mutations in populations from the Brazilian Amazon regionFernanda Andreza De Pinho Lott Carvalhaes
Laboratory of Human and Medical Genetics, Department of Pathology, Center for Biological Sciences, Federal University of Para, 66075 900 Belém, Para, Brazil
Hum Biol 76:643-6. 2004..The results suggest that Amerindians may be genetically more susceptible to HIV-1 infection and disease progression than the other human groups studied...
- [Evaluation of the nutritional status of the ParkatÃªjÃª indigenous community in Bom Jesus do Tocantins, ParÃ¡, Brazil]S Koifman
Departamento de Enfermagem, , , RJ, 26260-000, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 17:433-7. 2001..Overweight prevalence (BMI 25 to 29) was 23.7% among male adults and 50.0% among female adults, and obesity (BMI > 30) was observed in 12.5% of adult females...
- [Prevalence of hepatitis B and D serological markers in the Parakanã, Apyterewa Indian Reservation, Pará State, Brazil]Heloisa Marceliano Nunes
Seção de Hepatologia, Instituto Evandro Chagas, Avenida Almirante Barroso 492, Belem, PA, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 23:2756-66. 2007....
- Ancestry informative markers in Amerindians from Brazilian AmazonMarcelo Rizzatti Luizon
Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, CEP 14049 900, Brazil
Am J Hum Biol 20:86-90. 2008..Despite genetic drift effects, the mean allelic frequencies herein presented could be used as Amerindian parental frequencies in admixture estimates in urban Brazilian populations...
- Evolution of HLA-class I compared to HLA-class II polymorphism in Terena, a South-American Indian tribeA M Lazaro
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 8886, USA
Hum Immunol 60:1138-49. 1999..The observed results including the presence of novel alleles in the class I HLA loci suggest a functionally significant, more rapid evolution of class I compared to class II loci in this South American isolated population...
- Y-STR analysis in Brazilian and South Amerindian populationsFabio P N Leite
Laboratório de Perícias, Instituto Geral de Perícias, 90160 093 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Am J Hum Biol 20:359-63. 2008..No genetic substructuring was observed in the comparisons performed. Multidimensional scaling confirmed the proposed European source of most Y-chromosome Brazilian patrilineages...
- Intestinal protozoa and helminths among Terena Indians in the State of Mato Grosso do Sul: high prevalence of Blastocystis hominisJosé Ivan Albuquerque Aguiar
Departamento de Medicina Interna, Universidade Federal do Mato Grosso do Sul, Campo Grande, MS
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 40:631-4. 2007..Males were more infected by hookworms and Strongyloides stercoralis than females. The precarious sanitary conditions of the Tereré settlement are probably a contributory factor towards the high prevalence of intestinal protozoa...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection among indian people living in Iauareté, São Gabriel da Cachoeira, Amazonas, BrazilMarcio Neves Boia
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias, Medicina Tropical, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 50:17-20. 2008..Demographic concentration and urbanization within low sanitation and poor hygiene backgrounds, as well as unfiltered water consumption, may be related to the high frequency of T. gondii seroprevalence observed in the studied area...
- Hemoglobin variants, hematological parameters and beta-globin gene cluster haplotypes in an isolated Amerindian group from the Orinoco River DeltaAnabel Arends
Laboratorio de Investigación de Hemoglobinas Anormales, Servicio de Hematología Dr Tulio Arends Hospital Universitario de Caracas, Caracas, Venezuela
Ann Hum Biol 35:250-5. 2008..Several previous studies reported that the Venezuelan Warao Indians presented unusual genetic characteristics...
- A seroprevalence and descriptive epidemiological study of malaria among Indian tribes of the Amazon basin of BrazilM E De Arruda
Department of Immunology, Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, Recife, Brazil
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 90:135-43. 1996..malarie, and the generally high rates of seropositivity to all three species of Plasmodium indicate that control measures which are adequate and applicable to the region studied need to be developed...
- TP53 polymorphisms and haplotypes in South Amerindians and neo-BraziliansP A Gaspar
Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Ann Hum Biol 28:184-94. 2001..its occurrence there is probably due to interethnic admixture. The relationships of several world populations obtained using TP53 indicates that this marker is very efficient in clustering populations of the same ethnic group...
- Human retroviruses (HIV and HTLV) in Brazilian Indians: seroepidemiological study and molecular epidemiology of HTLV type 2 isolatesNice Shindo
Advanced Public Health Laboratory, Gonçalo Moniz Research Center, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Salvador, Bahia 40295 001, Brazil
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:71-7. 2002..We also report for the first time HIV-1 infection among Brazilian Amerindians...
- Trachoma and ethnic diversity in the Upper Rio Negro Basin of Amazonas State, BrazilAna Paula Ximenes Alves
School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 9:29-34. 2002..However, the severity of the disease appears to be related to the ethnic origin of the tribes, following the rank of social and cultural values that regulate the complex interactions between the Indian groups of the region...
- Prevalence of antibodies against hepatitis A virus among the Kuikuro and Kaiabi Indians of Xingu National Park, BrazilManuel Mindlin Lafer
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP EPM, SP Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 49:155-7. 2007..They suggest that it is not necessary to introduce vaccination against Hepatitis A in these highly endemic populations...
- Low prevalence of hepatitis B and C markers in non-amazonian indigenous populationJosé Ivan Aguiar
Federal University of Mato Grosso do Sul, MS Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 6:269-70. 2002
- Incidence of cystic fibrosis in five different states of Brazil as determined by screening of p.F508del, mutation at the CFTR gene in newborns and patientsSalmo Raskin
Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Parana, Brazil
J Cyst Fibros 7:15-22. 2008..3%, respectively. The implications for prevention of CF and other rare Mendelian diseases through such surveys of mutation screening are discussed...
- Amazonian Amerindians exhibit high variability of KIR profilesPaloma Daguer Ewerton
Laboratório de Genética Humana e Médica, Departamento de Patologia, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal do Para, Caixa Postal 8615, 66075 900 Belém, Para, Brazil
Immunogenetics 59:625-30. 2007..Such pattern may reflect small effective size and intense genetic drift. However, because of the role of KIR in immune response, selective pressures cannot be entirely ruled out...
- Polymorphisms of CYP1a1, CYP2e1, GSTM1, GSTT1, and TP53 genes in AmerindiansPedro A Gaspar
Departamento de Genetica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 91501 970 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Am J Phys Anthropol 119:249-56. 2002....
- [Tuberculosis among the indian population in São Gabriel da Cachoeira, Amazonas State, Brazil]Antônio Levino
Centro de Pesquisa Leônidas e Maria Deane, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Manaus, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 23:1728-32. 2007..The situation can be explained mainly by inequalities in access to health services, which paradoxically appear to show lower case-resolving capacity in urban areas of the county...
- Distribution of CGG repeats and FRAXAC1/DXS548 alleles in South American populationsRegina Celia Mingroni-Netto
Centro de Estudos do Genoma Humano, Departamento de Biologia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Med Genet 111:243-52. 2002..This suggests a general trend for higher genetic diversity among Africans; these rarer alleles could be African in origin and would have been lost or possibly were not present in the groups that gave rise to the Europeans...
- Social inequality and child malnutrition in four Andean countriesCarlos Larrea
Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales Sede Ecuador, Quito, Ecuador, and Harvard Center for Society and Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Rev Panam Salud Publica 11:356-64. 2002..To analyze the effects of socioeconomic, regional, and ethnic conditions on chronic malnutrition in four Andean countries of South America: Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru...
- [Prevalence of epilepsy in Bakairi indians from Mato Grosso State, Brazil]Moacir Alves Borges
Serviço de Neurofisiologia Clínica, Faculdade de Medicina Rio Preto, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 60:80-5. 2002..4 per mil, and inactive was 6.2 per mil. This prevalence of the epilepsy was considered high probably due to some familial risk factor (p=0.04) among those Indians, while other factors were not important...
- [Low prevalence of dyschromatopsia using the fourth edition of HRR (Hardy, Rand and Rittler) pseudoisochromatic plate test among the Indian population of Lalima village, Terena]Marcos Rogério Mistro Piccinin
Universidade de Brasilia, Brasil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 70:259-69. 2007..to evaluate the frequency of dyschromatopsias among the 10 to 45-year-old male Indian population of Lalima village, Terena ethnicity, in Miranda-MS, using the fourth edition of the pseudoisochromatic HRR test (Hardy, Rand and Rittler)...
- Giardia lamblia and other intestinal parasitic infections and their relationships with nutritional status in children in Brazilian AmazonFilipe Anibal Carvalho-Costa
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias Medicina Tropical, IOC FIOCRUZ, RJ, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 49:147-53. 2007..Also, the multivariate model showed that the only variable associated with hemoglobin levels was age. Intestinal parasitism control should increase children's possibilities of full development in the studied area...
- High frequency of mixed TT virus infections in healthy adults and children detected by a simplified heteroduplex mobility assayFelipe L Saback
Department of Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Av Brasil 4365, 21045 900, RJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Virol Methods 101:117-25. 2002....
- Novel HLA-B35 subtypes: putative gene conversion events with donor sequences from alleles common in native Americans (HLA-B*4002 or B*4801)C Y Marcos
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Hum Immunol 53:148-55. 1997In a study of 523 normal subjects of differing ethnic groups, including 189 South American Indians, we have described novel hybridization pattern corresponding to 22 potentially new HLA-B locus alleles...
- Comparative performances of an HTLV-I/II EIA and other serologic and PCR assays on samples from persons at risk for HTLV-II infectionB J Poiesz
Department of Medicine, State University of New York, Health Science Center, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Transfusion 40:924-30. 2000..The performance of this ELISA was compared to that of several HTLV-I-based serologic assays and an HTLV-II PCR assay in cohorts of South American Indians and New York City IV drug users (IVDUs) in whom HTLV-II is endemic.
- MICA polymorphism in South American IndiansYanzheng Zhang
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 8886, USA
Immunogenetics 53:900-6. 2002..Of 55 previously known alleles, nine were observed in South American Indians, compared with 16 that were found in North American Caucasians, suggesting a more restricted allelic ..
- On simple repetitive DNA sequences and complex diseasesC Epplen
Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
Electrophoresis 18:1577-85. 1997..of these simple repeats in distant human populations is covered including Caucasians, Bushmen and South American Indians. Furthermore, implications of simple repeat neighboring genes are discussed for the multifactorial ..
- Longitudinal study of tuberculosis outcomes among immunologically naive Aché natives of ParaguayA Magdalena Hurtado
Department of Anthropology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 1086, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 121:134-50. 2003This study documents the course of a tuberculosis epidemic in an immunologically naive group of South American Indians within fewer than 20 years after first sustained contact with outsiders...
- Structure of the HLA-A*0204 antigen, found in South American Indians. Spatial clustering of HLA-A2 subtype polymorphismA R Castaño
Department of Immunology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
Immunogenetics 34:281-5. 1991....
- Antimalarials and the fight against malaria in BrazilLuiz Ma Carmargo
ICBV USP, Monte Negro, Rondonia, Brasil
Ther Clin Risk Manag 5:311-7. 2009..b>South American Indians in the seventeenth century already used an extract of the bark of chinchona tree, commonly named "Jesuits' ..
- Signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorders in Ecuadorian IndiansR G Jagger
Dental School, University of Wales College of Medicine, Department of Adult Dental Health, Cardiff, UK
J Oral Rehabil 31:293-7. 2004..was to determine the prevalence of signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorders (TMD) in indigenous South American Indians. A total of 140 consecutive indigenous Indians (69 Quechua and 71 Colorado) attending a mobile dental ..
- Lipoperoxidation and cyclooxygenases 1 and 2 inhibitory compounds from Iryanthera juruensisDulce H S Silva
Sao Paulo State University, C P 355, CEP 14800 900, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 55:2569-74. 2007Plants from Iryanthera genus have been traditionally used as food supplements by South American Indians. The MeOH extract of leaves of Iryanthera juruensis, one of the plants endemic to the Amazon region and consumed in Brazil, and the ..
- Hispano-Indian admixture in Paraguay studied by analysis of HLA-DRB1 polymorphismO Benitez
Laboratoire d Histocompatibilite, Hopital Saint Louis, 1, avenue Claude Vellefeaux, 75475 Paris, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 50:25-9. 2002The genetic polymorphism of the Paraguayan population results from the admixture between South American Indians named Guaranis and Spaniards...
- Cocaine and metabolite concentrations in the hair of South American coca chewersG L Henderson
Department of Medical Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medicine, University of California Davis 95616
J Anal Toxicol 16:199-201. 1992Hair samples obtained from South American Indians who were identified as daily chewers of coca leaves were analyzed by a sensitive gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) method for cocaine, benzoylecognine (BE), and ecognine methyl ..
- Study of MICA alleles in 201 African Americans by multiplexed single nucleotide extension (MSNE) typingYanzheng Zhang
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8886, USA
Hum Immunol 64:130-6. 2003..were observed in African-Americans, compared to 16 that were found in North American Caucasians and 9 in South American Indians, suggesting a more diversified allelic distribution in African-Americans...
- Hydration of sickle erythrocytes using a herbal extract (Pfaffia paniculata) in vitroS K Ballas
Cardeza Foundation for Hematologic Research, Department of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Br J Haematol 111:359-62. 2000..Its root powder has been used by South American Indians for a variety of ailments and has been reported to have a salutary effect on sickle cell disease in Brazil...
- Coding versus intron variability: extremely polymorphic HLA-DRB1 exons are flanked by specific composite microsatellites, even in distant populationsC Epplen
Molecular Human Genetics, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
Hum Genet 99:399-406. 1997..Comparing Caucasians, Bushmen and South American Indians, the microsatellite variation in identical DRB1 alleles (e.g...
- Genetic, geographic, and linguistic variation among South American Indians: possible sex influenceNelson J R Fagundes
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 91501 970 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Am J Phys Anthropol 117:68-78. 2002..The AMOVA results suggest that populations whose members speak the same language are genetically homogeneous and may be viewed as the ultimate evolutionary unit at this level of analysis...
- Novel HLA-A and HLA-B alleles in South American IndiansC Y Marcos
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 8886, USA
Tissue Antigens 53:476-85. 1999..The new alleles B*35092 and B*3518 have been described by us in a previous paper. The possible mechanisms that may have produced these alleles over evolutionary time are discussed...
- An HLA class-II allele frequent in Eskimos and Amerindians is found in the Tyrolean Ice ManG F Fischer
Department of Blood Group Serology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
Ann Hum Genet 65:363-9. 2001..The HLA-DRB1*1402 allele is extremely rare in Europe, but is common in Inuits and South American Indians and has previously only once been identified in the laboratory.
- Group-specific component (GC) in Curiaú and Pacoval, two African-derived Brazilian populationsS F De Oliveira
Laboratorio de Genetica, Departamento de Genetica e Morfologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade de Brasilia, Brasilia, DF, Brazil
Am J Hum Biol 13:718-20. 2001..of African contribution to their formation, but there is a clear difference between them and Europeans and South American Indians. It is suggested that the GC system is a useful marker for studying relationships between single ..
- The Brazilian Xavante Indians revisited: new protein genetic studiesF M Salzano
Departamento de Genetica, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Am J Phys Anthropol 104:23-34. 1997..b>South American Indians, at least with this set of markers, do not seem to be clearly classified into defined subgroups.
- Helicobacter pylori prevalence among indigenous peoples of South AmericaLisa Gaye E Robinson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Epidemiology, and Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 186:1131-7. 2002..Seroprevalence did not correlate with the length of contact with the outside world. These results suggest that H. pylori was indigenous to the South American Indians and was not introduced by contact with outsiders.
- RAET1/ULBP alleles and haplotypes among Kolla South American IndiansSteven T Cox
The Anthony Nolan Research Institute, The Royal Free Hospital, Hampstead, London, UK
Hum Immunol 74:775-82. 2013..We previously determined HLA class I allele and haplotype frequencies in Kolla South American Indians who inhabit the northwest provinces of Argentina, and were found to have a similar restricted allelic ..
- Changes in food processing and occlusal dental wear during the early agricultural period in northwest MexicoJames T Watson
Department of Anthropology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 135:92-9. 2008....
- Ethnic-difference markers for use in mapping by admixture linkage disequilibriumHeather E Collins-Schramm
Rowe Program in Human Genetics, Department of Biological Chemistry and Medicine, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA 95616 8669, USA
Am J Hum Genet 70:737-50. 2002..Taken together, these data suggest that EDMs with large interpopulation and small intrapopulation differences can be readily identified for MALD studies in both AA and MA populations...
- Trophy heads from Nawinpukio, Perú: physical and chemical analysis of Huarpa-era modified human remainsBrian Clifton Finucane
Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art, Oxford University, Oxford OX1 3QY, UK
Am J Phys Anthropol 135:75-84. 2008..Drawing on the formal properties of the specimens as well as ethnographic and archaeological analogies, it is suggested that the cranial basin served as a vessel for liquid...
- Plasma B-type natriuretic peptide as a predictor of mortality in community-dwelling older adults with Chagas disease: 10-year follow-up of the Bambui Cohort Study of AgingMaria Fernanda Lima-Costa
Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Am J Epidemiol 172:190-6. 2010..Although the usefulness of BNP for risk stratification in this parasitic disease remains a topic of debate, this study found that BNP-based risk discrimination is at least comparable to that of an electrocardiogram...
- Outbreak of beriberi in an Indian population of the upper Amazon region, Roraima State, Brazil, 2008Matheus P Cerroni
Field Epidemiology Training Program, Secretariat of Health Surveillance, Ministry of Health, Brasilia, Distrito Federal, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1093-7. 2010..003). Mercury exposure was not a risk. Thiamine therapy produced complete rapid clinical recovery in all cases, confirming the diagnosis of beriberi. We recommend surveillance, thiamine supplementation, and nutritional intervention...
- HLA and mate selection: no evidence in South AmerindiansP W Hedrick
Department of Biology, Arizona State University, Tempe 85287 1501, USA
Am J Hum Genet 61:505-11. 1997..In nearly all cases, HLA-sharing proportions were very close to those expected from random mating, suggesting strong negative-assortative mating for MHC is not present in these South Amerindians...
- Self-reported skin color, genomic ancestry and the distribution of GST polymorphismsGuilherme Suarez-Kurtz
Pharmacology Division, Instituto Nacional de Cancer, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Pharmacogenet Genomics 17:765-71. 2007..We compared the effectiveness of color-based and marker-based biogeographical ancestry classifications in typing polymorphisms in GSTM1, GSTM3 and GSTT1 in the heterogeneous Brazilian population...
- The phylogeography of African BraziliansVanessa F Goncalves
Departamento de Bioquimica e Imunologia, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Hum Hered 65:23-32. 2008..We have previously shown that while most White Brazilians carry Y chromosomes of European origin, they display high proportions of African and Amerindian mtDNA lineages, because of sex-biased genetic admixture...
- Genetic variability of platelet glycoprotein Ibalpha geneMargareth C Ozelo
Hematology and Hemotherapy Center, State University of Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Hematol 77:107-16. 2004..These results suggest a greater complex evolutionary mechanism in the macroglycoprotein region of the GPIbalpha gene and may be useful in the design of gene-disease association studies for vascular disease...
- Biliary oxysterols and cholangiocarcinomaRahul Kuver; Fiscal Year: 2009..involves racial groups where the prevalence of biliary stones are high - such as Native Americans, South American Indians, andAsians...
- Biliary oxysterols and cholangiocarcinomaRAHUL P KUVER; Fiscal Year: 2010..involves racial groups where the prevalence of biliary stones are high - such as Native Americans, South American Indians, andAsians...
- Biliary oxysterols and cholangiocarcinomaSum Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007..involves racial groups where the prevalence of biliary stones are high - such as Native Americans, South American Indians, andAsians...
- Dental anomalies as an extended phenotype for cleftsALEXANDRE VIEIRA; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dental exams could be applied as screening tool for modifying population risks for cleft lip and palate. ..
- Linkage Disequilibrium: mapping and positional cloningNewton Morton; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- The Human Life Course and the Biodemography of AgingHillard S Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results, combined with measures of aging and disease in other populations such as the U.S., Mexico and Indonesia, may help to explain the historical increases in life expectancy over the past several centuries. ..
- Genetics of CariesALEXANDRE VIEIRA; Fiscal Year: 2009..This new knowledge could provide the basis for suggesting genes to be used as new prevention strategies for caries. ..
- Genetics of CariesAlexandre Rezende Vieira; Fiscal Year: 2010..This new knowledge could provide the basis for suggesting genes to be used as new prevention strategies for caries. ..
- Linkage Disequilibrium: mapping and positional cloningNewton Morton; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Linkage Disequilibrium: mapping and positional cloningNewton Morton; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Admixture Mapping Development and Testing in AA SLEMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- MA Admixture Mapping Development & Application to NIDDMMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the three strongest signals will be further investigated utilizing a dense set of SNPs in the putative susceptibility regions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Tissue Specific and Developmental Expression of snRNA Variants in the Silk MothRene Herrera; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, the PI has formulated a detailed professional development plan designed to improve his competitiveness in procuring mainstream funding. ..
- Role of Glycosylation of Dsg1 in Pemphigus acantholysisNing Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..Additionally, the data generated and broad knowledge gained will support the candidate to develop an independent career. ..
- Social Influences on Early Adult Stress BiomarkersTHOMAS MC DADE; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Population structure and transmission dynamics of Plasmodium vivaxMarcelo Ferreira; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Epidemiology and Genetics of Skeletal Muscle CompositionIva Miljkovic Gacic; Fiscal Year: 2008..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The accomplishment of the proposed aims will greatly enhance our understanding of the epidemiology and genetics of ectopic fat infiltration in skeletal muscle and its relationship to diabetes. ..
- Population structure and transmission dynamics of Plasmodium vivaxMarcelo Urbano Ferreira; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Social Influences on Early Adult Stress BiomarkersTHOMAS W MC DADE; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Admixture Mapping Development and Testing in AA SLEMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Apoptosis in PemphigusNing Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..The work is likely to lead to a more comprehensive R01 project investigating the apoptotic pathways involved in pemphigus and its pathogenic role in pemphigus. ..
- Social Influences on Early Adult Stress BiomarkersTHOMAS MC DADE; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Population structure and transmission dynamics of Plasmodium vivaxMarcelo Ferreira; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Health and economic productivity in rural ParaguayA Hurtado; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Health and economic productivity in rural ParaguayA Hurtado; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MA Admixture Mapping Development & Application to NIDDMMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, the three strongest signals will be further investigated utilizing a dense set of SNPs in the putative susceptibility regions. ..
- Admixture Mapping Development and Testing in AA SLEMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Severe Asthma and the Glucocorticoid Receptor ComplexGregory Hawkins; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will also lay the ground work for future functional studies using coding sequence variants identified in the GR complex proteins. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Admixture Mapping Development and Testing in AA SLEMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Altitude-induced hypoxia,IUGR and placental functionStacy Zamudio; Fiscal Year: 2006..Such work will aid substantially in elucidating the pathologies that involve placenta hypoxia, e.g., preeclampsia, diabetes and IUGR. ..
- MA Admixture Mapping Development & Application to NIDDMMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, the three strongest signals will be further investigated utilizing a dense set of SNPs in the putative susceptibility regions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Apoptosis in PemphigusNing Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..The work is likely to lead to a more comprehensive R01 project investigating the apoptotic pathways involved in pemphigus and its pathogenic role in pemphigus. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetics of Lipoproteins in Afro-Caribbean FamiliesIva Miljkovic Gacic; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our long-term goal is to dissect the genetic architecture of traditional and nuclear magnetic spectroscopy (NMR) measured lipoprotein phenotypes in extended, multi-generational families of African heritage. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MA Admixture Mapping Development & Application to NIDDMMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, the three strongest signals will be further investigated utilizing a dense set of SNPs in the putative susceptibility regions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Admixture Mapping Development and Testing in AA SLEMichael Seldin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Social Influences on Early Adult Stress BiomarkersTHOMAS MC DADE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Glycosylation of Dsg1 in Pemphigus acantholysisNing Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..Additionally, the data generated and broad knowledge gained will support the candidate to develop an independent career. ..
- Health and economic productivity in rural ParaguayA Hurtado; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..