Summary: Child hospitalized for short term care.
- Needle J, O Riordan M, Smith P. Parental anxiety and medical comprehension within 24 hrs of a child's admission to the pediatric intensive care unit*. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2009;10:668-74; quiz 674 pubmed publisher..Despite the high anxiety associated with a child's admission to the PICU, parents seem to understand their children's medical issues within the first 24 hrs. ..
- Mroczek B. [Respecting rights of hospitalized children]. Ann Acad Med Stetin. 2004;50:77-88 pubmed..These and other activities shall ensure existential safety for children in the hospital and increase the prestige of a nurse as a job. ..
- Justus R, Wyles D, Wilson J, Rode D, Walther V, Lim Sulit N. Preparing children and families for surgery: Mount Sinai's multidisciplinary perspective. Pediatr Nurs. 2006;32:35-43 pubmed..The program utilizes a culturally-sensitive, multimodality preparation model to prepare children and families for the surgical experience. ..
- Junquera C, de Baranda C, Mialdea O, Serrano E, Sánchez Fauquier A. Prevalence and clinical characteristics of norovirus gastroenteritis among hospitalized children in Spain. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2009;28:604-7 pubmed publisher..Norovirus was a frequent cause of acute severe sporadic gastroenteritis in children representing the second etiologic agent after rotavirus. ..
- Lilly M. A personal reflection: family survival in the pediatric intensive care unit. Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 2008;27:157-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first of a 2-part article. The second article will discuss "The Family Survival Guide to the Intensive Care Unit" in detail. ..
- Mantegazza R. [The box of pain. Representation of the hospital in children's drawings]. Pediatr Med Chir. 2005;27:19-41 pubmed..There's a need of a change in hospital's structures in order to make them closer to children' word of experience and to give him/her more security and tranquilisation in everyday hospital life. ..
- Hughes M. Parents' and nurses' attitudes to family-centred care: an Irish perspective. J Clin Nurs. 2007;16:2341-8 pubmed..It is hoped that it will also contribute to the improved satisfaction of the service provided to sick children and their families by parents and by the nurses who provide the care. ..
- Slonim A, Marcin J, Turenne W, Hall M, Joseph J. Pediatric patient safety events during hospitalization: approaches to accounting for institution-level effects. Health Serv Res. 2007;42:2275-93; discussion 2294-323 pubmed..Whenever possible, resource-conservative methods should be used in the analyses especially if clinical implications are minimal. ..
- Williams J, Edwards K, Weinberg G, Griffin M, Hall C, Zhu Y, et al. Population-based incidence of human metapneumovirus infection among hospitalized children. J Infect Dis. 2010;201:1890-8 pubmed publisher..HPMV infection was most prominent from March through May. HMPV was detected in 3.8% of children hospitalized with ARI or fever, with a population incidence similar to that of influenza virus and parainfluenza virus 3. ..
- Goldberg S. Children with disabilities: choosing the road of hope. J Christ Nurs. 2007;24:141-7 pubmed
- Cowen K. When the nurse becomes the mother. RN. 2008;71:56 pubmed
- Lee S, Hong S, Lee S, Suh C, Park S, Lee J, et al. Human rotavirus genotypes in hospitalized children, South Korea, April 2005 to March 2007. Vaccine. 2009;27 Suppl 5:F97-101 pubmed publisher..This large-scale surveillance study provides important insights into rotavirus genotype distribution and pattern changes in South Korea. ..
- Chibuk T, Robinson J, Hartfield D. Pediatric complicated pneumonia and pneumococcal serotype replacement: trends in hospitalized children pre and post introduction of routine vaccination with Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV7). Eur J Pediatr. 2010;169:1123-8 pubmed publisher..Although it is not clear if this increase is attributable to the use of PCV7, expanding pneumococcal serotype coverage has the potential to prevent complicated pneumonia. ..
- Moretz J, Black J. The many roles of families in family-centered care--part V. Interview by Deborah Dokken. Pediatr Nurs. 2007;33:356-8 pubmed..He urges all parents to recognize the important education they can offer professionals when they both ask questions and share about their own child and family. ..
- Amin A, Oragui E, Khan W, Puri A. Psychosocial considerations of perioperative care in children, with a focus on effective management strategies. J Perioper Pract. 2010;20:198-202 pubmed..Hospital policy should include a preoperative preparation programme, specially aimed at the paediatric population, where parental involvement is encouraged throughout. ..
- Harrison D, Johnston L, Loughnan P, Manias E. Erratum: Re: Oral sucrose for procedural pain in sick hospitalized infants: a randomized-controlled trial (J. Paediatr. Child Health 2003; 39: 591-7). J Paediatr Child Health. 2005;41:535 pubmed
- Hansen S, Nielsen V. [Children hospitalised with fever following a stay abroad]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2005;167:4065-7 pubmed
- Loff B. Let us be prepared. Med J Aust. 2005;183:625-6 pubmed..Public debate is required if families are required to fill the gap left by hospitals which now only "care" for the illness and not the patient. ..
- Araújo I, Heinemann M, Mascarenhas J, Assis R, Fialho A, Leite J. Molecular analysis of the NSP4 and VP6 genes of rotavirus strains recovered from hospitalized children in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. J Med Microbiol. 2007;56:854-9 pubmed..This is the first report on Brazilian rotavirus strains describing NSP4 genotype A strains associated with VP6 SG I, and NSP4 genotype B strains associated with VP6 SG II. ..
- Lu C, Lauderdale T, Fang Y, Wang C, Ho Y, Hung C, et al. Disease burden and related medical costs of rotavirus infections in Taiwan. BMC Infect Dis. 2006;6:176 pubmed..Infections caused by rotavirus constitute an important human and economic burden among young children in Taiwan. A safe and effective vaccine is urgently needed. ..
- Saha R, Das Das S, Kumar A, Kaur I. Pattern of Candida isolates in hospitalized children. Indian J Pediatr. 2008;75:858-60 pubmed publisher..Therefore, appropriate identification of species with susceptibility testing would be advisable before start of anti-fungals. This would prevent emergence of fluconazole resistance. ..
- Wu J, Mu P, Tsay S, Chiou T. Parental experience of family stress during hematopoietic stem cell transplantation of pediatric patients in germ-free isolation in Taiwan. Cancer Nurs. 2005;28:363-71 pubmed..The results of this study provide evidence of the nature of parents' experiences while their children undergo hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and provide guidelines for family-centered nursing care. ..
- Salmela M, Salantera S, Ruotsalainen T, Aronen E. Coping strategies for hospital-related fears in pre-school-aged children. J Paediatr Child Health. 2010;46:108-14 pubmed publisher..Besides, the traditional methods for alleviating fear, children need possibilities to use coping methods in which they have an active role giving them a feeling of some control over the hospital environment and medical procedures. ..
- Kirkwood C, Boniface K, Bogdanovic Sakran N, Masendycz P, Barnes G, Bishop R. Rotavirus strain surveillance--an Australian perspective of strains causing disease in hospitalised children from 1997 to 2007. Vaccine. 2009;27 Suppl 5:F102-7 pubmed publisher..To be optimally effective, rotavirus vaccines must prevent disease caused by all common rotavirus genotypes. ..
- Vu L, Nobuhara K, Lee H, Farmer D. Determination of risk factors for deep venous thrombosis in hospitalized children. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:1095-9 pubmed publisher..The discharge diagnosis of DVT of the lower extremities has significantly increased since 1997. In addition, teenagers with underlying disorders are at highest risk for DVT. ..
- Southby H. A personal reflection: tactile music therapy at night for patients on ECMO in the pediatric intensive care setting. Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 2006;25:172-4 pubmed
- Daeyoung W. Effects of programmed information on coping behavior and emotions of mothers of young children undergoing IV procedures. Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi. 2006;36:1301-7 pubmed..87) compared to mothers in the control group. These results demonstrate that PIPC-IP is an effective intervention to increase the supportive behaviors and beliefs of mothers' problem focused coping ability but not the negative mood. ..
- William Li H, Lopez V, Lee T. Effects of preoperative therapeutic play on outcomes of school-age children undergoing day surgery. Res Nurs Health. 2007;30:320-32 pubmed..No significant differences were found between the two groups in postoperative pain. The study provides some evidence that therapeutic play is effective in pre- as opposed to postsurgical management of children. ..
- Waldon E, Wolfe D. Predictive utility of the Computer-based Music Perception Assessment for Children (CMPAC). J Music Ther. 2006;43:356-71 pubmed..Results suggest that CMPAC is a useful and valid assessment for assisting music therapists in making referral decisions for hospitalized children. ..
- Pritchard E, Howard E. Parent questionnaires: are they effective for auditing services?. Paediatr Nurs. 2006;18:37-9 pubmed..The questionnaire succeeded in highlighting problem areas on the ward so that changes could be implemented, including the introduction of a quiet time. Good practice was also highlighted allowing for praise within these areas. ..
- Bonzel L, Tenenbaum T, Schroten H, Schildgen O, Schweitzer Krantz S, Adams O. Frequent detection of viral coinfection in children hospitalized with acute respiratory tract infection using a real-time polymerase chain reaction. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:589-94 pubmed publisher..In children hospitalized because of respiratory infection viral coinfection is frequently detected with RSV and hBoV being a common combination. ..
- Guo Ping W. [Study on viral pathogens for infant diarrhea in Chizhou, Anhui]. Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi. 2009;23:292-5 pubmed..Rotavirus was the major viral pathogen accounting for infant diarrhea in Chizhou, Anhui, followed by calicivirus and adenovirus Type G3 was the main rotavirus, especially type G3P8. ..
- Kassis I, Srugo I, Srur S, Horowitz Y, Almagor T, Wolf D, et al. [The burden and outcomes of acute bronchiolitis among young children hospitalized in Israel]. Harefuah. 2009;148:748-51, 795, 794 pubmed..The development of effective vaccine against RSV may significantly reduce the burden of morbidity. ..
- Feudtner C, Levin J, Srivastava R, Goodman D, Slonim A, Sharma V, et al. How well can hospital readmission be predicted in a cohort of hospitalized children? A retrospective, multicenter study. Pediatrics. 2009;123:286-93 pubmed publisher..Accurate population-level prediction of hospital readmissions is possible, and the resulting predicted probability of hospital readmission may prove useful for health services research and planning. ..
- Hao J, Daleo M, Murphy C, Yu P, Ho J, Hu J, et al. Dorsomorphin, a selective small molecule inhibitor of BMP signaling, promotes cardiomyogenesis in embryonic stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2904 pubmed publisher..Small molecule modulators of developmental pathways like dorsomorphin could become versatile pharmacological tools for stem cell research and regenerative medicine. ..
- Wilmot M. The specialised play specialist. Paediatr Nurs. 2007;19:33 pubmed
- Khumjui C, Doung ngern P, Sermgew T, Smitsuwan P, Jiraphongsa C. Incidence of intussusception among children 0-5 years of age in Thailand, 2001-2006. Vaccine. 2009;27 Suppl 5:F116-9 pubmed publisher..36-11.44 per 100,000 children under 1 and 5 years of age, respectively. This is somewhat lower than other regional studies emphasising need to continue and enhance surveillance prior to starting a universal rotavirus vaccine program. ..
- Taylor B. Giving children and parents a voice--the parents' perspective. Paediatr Nurs. 2006;18:20-3 pubmed..She argues that there is much more that nurses can do to know the child, to understand the parents' distress and then to create a culture that gives permission for parents and children to disagree with or question the care they receive. ..
- Kelsey J, Abelson Mitchell N, Skirton H. Perceptions of young people about decision making in the acute healthcare environment. Paediatr Nurs. 2007;19:14-8 pubmed..Professional practice in the care of young people should include effective communication, a policy of inclusion and active assessment of competence. ..
- Godshall M. Toe-to-hand transplantation surgery. Orthop Nurs. 2006;25:13-9; quiz 20-1 pubmed..The second procedure is the toe-to-hand transfer, which is an elective procedure in which there is less emphasis on time. This procedure occurs a few months after the initial accident. ..
- Pirogowicz I, Szerszeń M, Joniec L, Klimek K, Swiderka Prajs M, Pirogowicz P, et al. [Smoking of the tobacco by the parents of hospitalized children at the Pediatric Department of the Provincional Hospital in Opole]. Przegl Lek. 2006;63:1078-9 pubmed..This indicates the necessity of pro-health education as well as the necessity of banning smoking from hospital area. ..
- Pomarico L, Souza I, Rangel Tura L. Sweetened medicines and hospitalization: caries risk factors in children with and without special needs. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2005;6:197-201 pubmed..Poor oral hygiene habits when taking medicines and during hospitalizations were observed, mainly among children with special needs. ..
- Pimenta E, Collet N. [Dimension of nursing and family care to hospitalized children: conceptions of nursing]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2009;43:622-9 pubmedFamily participation in the care of a hospitalized child, both regarding its forms and dimension, has been a theme of study in nursing...
- Bird T, Hobbs C, Cleves M, Tilford J, Robbins J. National rates of birth defects among hospitalized newborns. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2006;76:762-9 pubmed..HCUP data can be used to examine the impact of public health efforts on the number of infants born with birth defects as well as the cost and consequences of variations in the hospital management of birth defects. ..
- Veldman M. [Dad, the rabbits have grown up!]. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 2005;130:647-8 pubmed
- Dowden S, McCarthy M, Chalkiadis G. Achieving organizational change in pediatric pain management. Pain Res Manag. 2008;13:321-6 pubmed..The review process identified deficiencies in the management of pain in children, and barriers to its effective management. With institutional support, the present review has guided improvement. ..
- Lane E, Latham T. Managing pain using heat and cold therapy. Paediatr Nurs. 2009;21:14-8 pubmed..Three years after their introduction a review of the guidelines and an audit demonstrated that these modalities have been beneficial, providing cost-effective, holistic care for children experiencing pain in hospital. ..
- Eviatar E, Gavriel H, Pitaro K, Vaiman M, Goldman M, Kessler A. Conservative treatment in rhinosinusitis orbital complications in children aged 2 years and younger. Rhinology. 2008;46:334-7 pubmed..However, most children aged 2 and younger respond well to conservative treatment and no surgical intervention is required. ..
- Fosdal M, Wojner Alexandrov A. Events of hospitalization among children with sickle cell disease. J Pediatr Nurs. 2007;22:342-6 pubmed..Further research is necessary to determine how the complex interplay of social, cultural, developmental, and physiologic factors may contribute to the hospitalization experience of children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. ..
- Gursky B. The effect of educational interventions with siblings of hospitalized children. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2007;28:392-8 pubmed..These findings have significant impact on children's health care and supporting family needs when a child is hospitalized. ..
- Nguyen T, Nilsson S, Hellstrom A, Bengtson A. Music therapy to reduce pain and anxiety in children with cancer undergoing lumbar puncture: a randomized clinical trial. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2010;27:146-55 pubmed publisher..The findings from the interviews confirmed the quantity results through descriptions of a positive experience by the children, including less pain and fear. ..
- Li H, Lopez V. Do trait anxiety and age predict state anxiety of school-age children?. J Clin Nurs. 2005;14:1083-9 pubmed..Understanding the trait anxiety of children in advance could help nurses implement appropriate preoperative psychological intervention that can meet the individual needs of the child and thus promote better recovery. ..
- Bloch Y, Toker A. Doctor, is my teddy bear okay? The "Teddy Bear Hospital" as a method to reduce children's fear of hospitalization. Isr Med Assoc J. 2008;10:597-9 pubmed..Our results indicate that by initiating a controlled pain-free encounter with the medical environment in the form of a "Teddy Bear Hospital", we can reduce children's anxiety about hospitalization. ..