Summary: Professionals, technicians, and assistants staffing LABORATORIES.
- Gershy Damet G, Rotz P, Cross D, Belabbes E, Cham F, Ndihokubwayo J, et al. The World Health Organization African region laboratory accreditation process: improving the quality of laboratory systems in the African region. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010;134:393-400 pubmed publisher..We believe that the WHO-AFRO approach for laboratory accreditation is affordable, sustainable, effective, and scalable. ..
- Fiori P, Mastrandrea S, Rappelli P, Cappuccinelli P. Brucella abortus infection acquired in microbiology laboratories. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:2005-6 pubmed..Antibody titers were evaluated weekly in all personnel exposed, allowing the diagnosis of the infection in most cases before the onset of clinical symptoms, so that specific therapy could be administrated. ..
- Paldanius M, Bloigu A, Alho M, Leinonen M, Saikku P. Prevalence and persistence of Chlamydia pneumoniae antibodies in healthy laboratory personnel in Finland. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2005;12:654-9 pubmed..The prevalence of IgG and IgA antibodies was higher in older persons than in younger ones. The presence of antibodies did not offer protection from reinfection. ..
- Rusnak J, Kortepeter M, Hawley R, Anderson A, Boudreau E, Eitzen E. Risk of occupationally acquired illnesses from biological threat agents in unvaccinated laboratory workers. Biosecur Bioterror. 2004;2:281-93 pubmed..The data support the idea that research with these agents should be restricted to laboratories with experience in handling highly hazardous agents and where appropriate safety training and precautions can be implemented...
- Lim P, Kurup A, Gopalakrishna G, Chan K, Wong C, Ng L, et al. Laboratory-acquired severe acute respiratory syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2004;350:1740-5 pubmed
- Abdul Mujeeb S, Adil M, Altaf A, Shah S, Luby S. Infection control practices in clinical laboratories in Pakistan. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2003;24:141-2 pubmed..Among 44 laboratories, gloves were used in 2, protective gowns in 12, disinfectant in 7, and an incinerator in 7. Standard worker safety precautions are not followed at major clinical laboratories in Karachi...
- Wennborg H, Yuen J, Axelsson G, Ahlbom A, Gustavsson P, Sasco A. Mortality and cancer incidence in biomedical laboratory personnel in Sweden. Am J Ind Med. 1999;35:382-9 pubmed..mortality ratio (SMR) and the standardized incidence ratio (SIR) for cancer in biomedical research laboratory personnel in Swedish universities 1970-1992...
- Barrow C, Conrad J. Assessing the reliability and credibility of industry science and scientists. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:153-5 pubmed..Within these constraints, chemical industry scientists can serve important and legitimate functions on scientific advisory panels and should not be unjustifiably prevented from contributing to their work. ..
- Jeang K. Life after 45 and before 60: the Retrovirology Prize. Retrovirology. 2005;2:26 pubmed..Retrovirology announces an annual prize to recognize one outstanding mid-career retrovirologist. ..
- Bates I, Bekoe V, Asamoa Adu A. Improving the accuracy of malaria-related laboratory tests in Ghana. Malar J. 2004;3:38 pubmed
- Memish Z, Mah M. Brucellosis in laboratory workers at a Saudi Arabian hospital. Am J Infect Control. 2001;29:48-52 pubmed..1 reportable communicable disease (22.5%) in Saudi Arabian National Guard communities. King Fahad Hospital is the major referral center for National Guard personnel in the nation's central region...
- Harty Golder B. Sue over review?. MLO Med Lab Obs. 2008;40:40 pubmed
- Zadik Y, Galor S, Lachmi R, Proter N. Oral self-care habits of dental and healthcare providers. Int J Dent Hyg. 2008;6:354-60 pubmed publisher..providers regarding prevention of oral diseases Healthcare providers (dental assistants and surgeons, laboratory personnel, biologists, medics, paramedics, corpsmen, nurses, pharmacists, physicians, physiotherapists, psychologists,..
- Cohen I. Modeling immune behavior for experimentalists. Immunol Rev. 2007;216:232-6 pubmed..Seven characteristics of a useful model are discussed. ..
- Palasik M. Women in technological higher education and in the sciences in 20th century Hungary. Hung Stud Rev. 2002;29:25-48 pubmed
- McGarry M, Martin T. Dressing for success: choosing garbing standards for the laboratory animal facility. Lab Anim (NY). 2003;32:32-6 pubmed..The authors consider appropriate garbing standards for personnel charged with various tasks within the animal facility, emphasizing the protection of animals from potential health threats. ..
- Agudelo Florez P, Restrepo M, Moreno N. [Diagnosis of leptospirosis by dark-field microscopy of blood samples and culture]. Biomedica. 2008;28:7-9 pubmed
- Risi G, Bloom M, Hoe N, Arminio T, Carlson P, Powers T, et al. Preparing a community hospital to manage work-related exposures to infectious agents in BioSafety level 3 and 4 laboratories. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:373-8 pubmed publisher..This model may be useful for other hospitals, whether they support a BSL-4 facility, are in the proximity of a BSL-3 facility, or are interested in upgrading their facilities to prepare for exotic and novel infectious diseases. ..
- Lichty M, Janowitz I, Rempel D. Ergonomic evaluation of ten single-channel pipettes. Work. 2011;39:177-85 pubmed publisher..The findings, when considered with participant comments, provide insights into desirable pipette features and emphasize the value of user testing and the importance of the interactions between task, workplace layout, and pipette design. ..
- Guidi G, Lippi G, Plebani M. The holistic approach to teach laboratory medicine. Clin Chim Acta. 2008;393:51-3 pubmed publisher..In addition, the integration of different areas of diagnostics within the same laboratory service is expected to improve efficiency and effectiveness. ..
- Ntahobakurira I, Antara S, Galgalo T, Kakoma J, Karema C, NYATANYI T, et al. The Rwanda Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program: training skilled disease detectives. Pan Afr Med J. 2011;10 Supp 1:7 pubmed..RFELTP has also trained 145 frontline health workers through its two-week applied short courses. In the future, RFELTP plans to develop a veterinary track to address public health issues at the animal-human interface. ..
- Leydon J, Curley S, Karapanagiotidis T, Stambos V, Kelly H. Report on a workshop on the laboratory diagnosis of measles. Pac Health Dialog. 2005;12:159-63 pubmed..It also provided an introduction to proficiency testing. ..
- Mandel J, Rutherford G. AIDS prevention research in low and middle-income countries: increasing the dissemination of study results in the scientific literature. AIDS Behav. 2006;10:S1-4 pubmed
- Kessler A, Stephens D, Somani J. Laboratory-acquired serogroup A meningococcal meningitis. J Occup Health. 2007;49:399-401 pubmed
- Josephson S, Hills N, Johnston S. NIH Stroke Scale reliability in ratings from a large sample of clinicians. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2006;22:389-95 pubmed..Whether additional training, modification of examination elements, or clearer definitions for scoring could improve reliability requires further study. ..
- Press M, Finn R, Cameron D, Di Leo A, Geyer C, Villalobos I, et al. HER-2 gene amplification, HER-2 and epidermal growth factor receptor mRNA and protein expression, and lapatinib efficacy in women with metastatic breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:7861-70 pubmed publisher..Women with HER-2-positive metastatic breast cancer benefit from lapatinib, whereas women with HER-2-negative metastatic breast cancer derive no incremental benefit from lapatinib. ..
- Rodrigues A, Souza C, Braga A, Rodrigues P, Silveira A, Damin E, et al. Mercury toxicity in the Amazon: contrast sensitivity and color discrimination of subjects exposed to mercury. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2007;40:415-24 pubmed..They also suggest that some spatial tests such as the measurement of red-green chromatic contrast are sufficiently sensitive to detect visual dysfunction caused by mercury toxicity. ..
- Harty Golder B. Employer and employee rights with respect to leave taking. MLO Med Lab Obs. 2006;38:50 pubmed
- Tatum T, Hendrix E. Training technologists for the genomic age. Clin Lab Sci. 2006;19:148-52 pubmed
- McClure K. Student perceptions of the clinical laboratory science profession. Clin Lab Sci. 2009;22:16-21 pubmed..State and national programs involving grants/scholarships or loan forgiveness programs offered by healthcare institutions would be beneficial in attracting students to study the clinical laboratory sciences. ..
- Saleh S, Hamed K. Preparing CLS professionals to be consumers and producers of research. Clin Lab Sci. 2010;23:3-19-23 pubmed..This paper describes an improved and innovative approach to prepare future CLS professionals to be both analytical consumers and active producers of pertinent research. ..
- Garrott P. Clinical laboratory practitioners speak out on Capitol Hill. Clin Lab Sci. 2008;21:130-1 pubmed
- Bersch C. Alternate careers for 'burned-out' medical lab personnel. MLO Med Lab Obs. 2008;40:26-7, 52 pubmed
- MacNeil A, Reynolds M, Damon I. Risks associated with vaccinia virus in the laboratory. Virology. 2009;385:1-4 pubmed publisher..We provide a discussion of the usage and risks associated with VACV in laboratory research. ..
- Gilpin C, Kim S, Lumb R, Rieder H, Van Deun A. Critical appraisal of current recommendations and practices for tuberculosis sputum smear microscopy. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2007;11:946-52 pubmed..Periodic reporting on acid-fast smear examinations is highly desirable for regular monitoring and a more balanced provision of supplies. ..
- Buesa R. Staffing benchmarks for histology laboratories. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2010;14:182-93 pubmed publisher..YADPA 50,552]) to calculate the hours per year required to complete them. The relationship between workload and benchmarks allows the director of pathology to determine the staff needed for the efficient operation of the histolab. ..
- Byers K, Engelman A, Fontes B. General guidelines for experimenting with HIV. Curr Protoc Immunol. 2004;Chapter 12:Unit 12.1 pubmed publisher..An intensive training program for laboratory personnel must always precede the actual execution of research involving manipulation of HIV...
- Rigby M. The role of the physician-scientist in bridging basic and clinical research in type 1 diabetes. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2010;17:131-42 pubmed publisher..More than ever, there is a critical need to support appropriately trained translational investigators who can best facilitate bringing the promise of basic research to clinical reality. ..
- Mannhalter C. [The importance of quality assurance in molecular genetic laboratories]. Hamostaseologie. 2010;30:73-81 pubmed..Beyond that, some molecular genetic methods will be dealt with in regard to potential quality criteria. ..
- Buesa R. Histology: a unique area of the medical laboratory. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2007;11:137-41 pubmed..The pathologist, as immediate client of the histology laboratory, has to be involved in the whole operation to assure optimal patient care. ..
- Yao K, McKinney B, Murphy A, Rotz P, Wafula W, Sendagire H, et al. Improving quality management systems of laboratories in developing countries: an innovative training approach to accelerate laboratory accreditation. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010;134:401-9 pubmed publisher..The SLMTA program supports laboratories by improving management and building preparedness for accreditation. ..
- Lemons B. Recruiting for the future of the clinical laboratory. MLO Med Lab Obs. 2006;38:46-7 pubmed
- Nagai H, Nukaga Y, Saeki K, Akabayashi A. Self-regulation of recombinant DNA technology in Japan in the 1970s. Hist Sci (Tokyo). 2009;19:1-18 pubmed..Our findings suggest that self-regulation policies on recombinant DNA technology have influenced safety management for the life sciences and establishment of institutions for review in Japan. ..
- Lunn G, Lawler G. Safe use of hazardous chemicals. Curr Protoc Microbiol. 2006;Chapter 1:Unit 1A.3 pubmed publisher..Some of the specific reagents covered are diaminobenzidine, ethidium bromide, cyanogen bromide and chloromethylsilane. With modification, these assays may also be used to determine the concentration of a particular chemical. ..
- Farrell P. Tang's strategic moves for Olympus. MLO Med Lab Obs. 2007;39:30 pubmed
- Leibach E. The doctorate in clinical laboratory science: an executive summary. Clin Lab Sci. 2008;21:134-7 pubmed..The intent of the article is to support the marketing of these new practitioners and to provide the conceptual frame and links to data for proposals required to implement educational programs for them. ..
- Franken D, Dada O. Does training assist medical laboratory scientists with better evaluation of sperm morphology?. Afr J Reprod Health. 2007;11:107-12 pubmed..These somewhat alarming results highlight the need for training facilities for technologists who work in the clinical diagnostic field of reproductive science. ..
- Andreev E, Jdanov D, Shkolnikov V, Leon D. Long-term trends in the longevity of scientific elites: evidence from the British and the Russian academies of science. Popul Stud (Camb). 2011;65:319-34 pubmed publisher..This steep increase shared by academicians in Britain and Russia suggests that general populations have the potential for a substantial increase in survival to high ages. ..
- Guiles H, Ward Cook K. Learning and utilization of generic skills by practitioners in the field of clinical laboratory science/medical technology. Clin Lab Sci. 2006;19:104-10 pubmed..For this sample group, most generic skills learned as CLS/MT students and/or practitioners are applied to the ITF jobs and are generally congruent with what is being taught in CLS/MT programs. However, there are some notable exceptions. ..
- Kayan M, Naziroglu M, Celik O, Yalman K, Koylu H. Vitamin C and E combination modulates oxidative stress induced by X-ray in blood of smoker and nonsmoker radiology technicians. Cell Biochem Funct. 2009;27:424-9 pubmed publisher..VCE prevents the smoke and X-ray-induced oxidative stress to strengthen antioxidant vitamin concentrations in the blood of the technicians. ..
- Fogazzi G, Garigali G, Pirovano B, Muratore M, Raimondi S, Berti S. How to improve the teaching of urine microscopy. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2007;45:407-12 pubmed..1% have identified for the first time urinary sediment components that were not recognized or not considered before the course. Our course demonstrates that it is possible to improve the teaching of urinary microscopy. ..