emigrants and immigrants
Summary: People who leave their place of residence in one country and settle in a different country.
- Leão L, Muraro A, Palos C, Martins M, Borges F. [International migration, health, and work: an analysis of Haitians in Mato Grosso State, Brazil]. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33:e00181816 pubmed publisher..4% and 17.1%, respectively), in addition to reports of physical and psychosocial distress. The study points to the precarious social, economic, and labor conditions of the Haitian population in the capital of Mato Grosso. ..
- Mangrio E, Persson K. Immigrant parents' experience with the Swedish child health care system: A qualitative study. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:32 pubmed publisher..However, more research is needed in order to find out the extent to which the Swedish child health care system is culturally appropriate in the whole country. ..
- Langlois Klassen D, Senthilselvan A, Chui L, Kunimoto D, Saunders L, Menzies D, et al. Transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing Strains, Alberta, Canada, 1991-2007. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:701-11 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis lineage. In a province that has effective tuberculosis control, transmission of Beijing strains posed no more of a public health threat than did non-Beijing strains. ..
- Paraskevis D, Nikolopoulos G, Tsiara C, Paraskeva D, Antoniadou A, Lazanas M, et al. HIV-1 outbreak among injecting drug users in Greece, 2011: a preliminary report. Euro Surveill. 2011;16: pubmed..Cases originated from diverse places outside Greece supporting the potential role of immigrant IDUs in the initiation of this outbreak. ..
- Giese A, Uyar M, Uslucan H, Becker S, Henning B. How do hospitalised patients with Turkish migration background estimate their language skills and their comprehension of medical information - a prospective cross-sectional study and comparison to native patients in Germany to assess the language bar. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013;13:196 pubmed publisher..94 ± 10.41y) a large part of this population has limited German language skills and difficulties obtaining medical information when hospitalised. ..
- Posey D, Naughton M, Willacy E, Russell M, Olson C, Godwin C, et al. Implementation of new TB screening requirements for U.S.-bound immigrants and refugees - 2007-2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:234-6 pubmed..The results demonstrate that rigorous diagnostic and treatment programs can be implemented in areas with high TB incidence overseas. ..
- Garnweidner Holme L, Lukasse M, Solheim M, Henriksen L. Talking about intimate partner violence in multi-cultural antenatal care: a qualitative study of pregnant women's advice for better communication in South-East Norway. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17:123 pubmed publisher..Midwives' communication and strategic skills to address IPV are crucial for help-seeking women. Training midwives' skills in culture-sensitive communication might help to overcome cultural barriers to talk about violence. ..
- Hettige N, Bani Fatemi A, Kennedy J, De Luca V. Assessing the risk for suicide in schizophrenia according to migration, ethnicity and geographical ancestry. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17:63 pubmed publisher..Ethnicity and migration history are not predictive of previous suicide attempts. Ethnicity may be an important demographic factor affecting access to mental health resources and frequency of hospitalizations. ..
- Yang W, Carmichael S, Roberts E, Kegley S, Padula A, English P, et al. Residential agricultural pesticide exposures and risk of neural tube defects and orofacial clefts among offspring in the San Joaquin Valley of California. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:740-8 pubmed publisher..1. Given that such odds ratios might have arisen by chance because of the number of comparisons, our study showed a general lack of association between a range of agricultural pesticide exposures and risks of selected birth defects. ..
- Peghin M, Rodriguez Pardo D, Sánchez Montalvá A, Pellise F, Rivas A, Tórtola T, et al. The changing epidemiology of spinal tuberculosis: the influence of international immigration in Catalonia, 1993-2014. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2152-2160 pubmed publisher..Compared with natives, foreign-born patients were younger and had greater severity of the disease. The GeneXpert MTB/RIF test may be of value for diagnosing spinal TB...
- Nolen L, Haberling D, Scollard D, Truman R, Rodriguez Lainz A, Blum L, et al. Incidence of Hansen's Disease--United States, 1994-2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:969-72 pubmed..Delayed diagnosis was more common among foreign-born persons. Clinicians throughout the United States should familiarize themselves with the signs and symptoms of HD and understand that HD can occur in the United States. ..
- Langer Gould A, Wu J, Lucas R, Smith J, Gonzales E, Amezcua L, et al. Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, and multiple sclerosis susceptibility: A multiethnic study. Neurology. 2017;89:1330-1337 pubmed publisher..The association between past CMV infection and MS risk supports the broader hygiene hypothesis, but the inconsistency of this association across racial/ethnic groups implies noncausal associations. ..
- Saarela J, Weber R. Assessment of educational misclassification in register-based data on Finnish immigrants in Sweden. Scand J Public Health. 2017;45:20-24 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that research and policies using recently arrived immigrants' completed schooling as a determinant of socioeconomic integration need to be interpreted with care. ..
- Jimenez De Ory S, González Tomé M, Fortuny C, Mellado M, Soler Palacin P, Bustillo M, et al. New diagnoses of human immunodeficiency virus infection in the Spanish pediatric HIV Cohort (CoRISpe) from 2004 to 2013. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7858 pubmed publisher..However, this number declined between 2004 and 2013.The rate of new HIV diagnoses of vertically HIV-infected children decreased significantly between 2004 and 2013 from 0.09 to 0.03 per 100,000 inhabitants. ..
- Lin S, Melendez Torres G. Critical interpretive synthesis of barriers and facilitators to TB treatment in immigrant populations. Trop Med Int Health. 2017;22:1206-1222 pubmed publisher..This review emphasised the roles of repatriation policy and healthcare workers in forming experiences of TB treatment in immigrant populations. ..
- Beltrame A, Guerriero M, Angheben A, Gobbi F, Requena Méndez A, Zammarchi L, et al. Accuracy of parasitological and immunological tests for the screening of human schistosomiasis in immigrants and refugees from African countries: An approach with Latent Class Analysis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005593 pubmed publisher..The ICT appears to be a suitable screening test, even when used alone. The rapid test ICT was the most sensitive test, with the potential of being used as a single screening test for African migrants. ..
- Adebayo F, Itkonen S, Koponen P, Prättälä R, Härkänen T, Lamberg Allardt C, et al. Consumption of healthy foods and associated socio-demographic factors among Russian, Somali and Kurdish immigrants in Finland. Scand J Public Health. 2017;45:277-287 pubmed publisher..Further studies examining the consumption of fruits, berries and fresh vegetables among Somali immigrants in Finland are needed. ..
- Aubrey C, Mumtaz Z, Patterson P, Chari R, Mitchell B. Accommodating Immigrant Women's Preferences for Female Health Care Providers. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;129:919-924 pubmed publisher..Our qualitative study suggests a need for greater research to inform policy that meets the professional and personal values of both physicians and patients. ..
- Pang H, Cataldi M, Allseits E, Ward Peterson M, de la Vega P, Castro G, et al. Examining the association between possessing a regular source of healthcare and adherence with cancer screenings among Haitian households in Little Haiti, Miami-Dade County, Florida. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7706 pubmed publisher..Targeted approaches to improving access to regular care may improve adherence to cancer screening adherence among this unique immigrant population. ..
- Hollo V, Beauté J, Ködmön C, van der Werf M. Tuberculosis notification rate decreases faster in residents of native origin than in residents of foreign origin in the EU/EEA, 2010 to 2015. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..3%. The decrease in notification rate was higher in native residents (7.0%) than in those of foreign origin (3.7%). Targeted screening and facilitated access to care and treatment could help prevent and control TB in migrants. ..
- Garg P, Ha M, Eastwood J, Harvey S, Woolfenden S, Murphy E, et al. Explaining culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) parents' access of healthcare services for developmental surveillance and anticipatory guidance: qualitative findings from the 'Watch Me Grow' study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:228 pubmed publisher..There is a need for ongoing cultural competence training of health professionals and provisions need to be made to support frequent use of interpreters at general practices in Australia. ..
- Mellou K, Chrisostomou A, Sideroglou T, Georgakopoulou T, Kyritsi M, Hadjichristodoulou C, et al. Hepatitis A among refugees, asylum seekers and migrants living in hosting facilities, Greece, April to December 2016. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..All cases reported symptom onset after their entry into the country. Public health interventions focused on hygiene measures and vaccination. ..
- Henke A, Thuss Patience P, Behzadi A, Henke O. End-of-life care for immigrants in Germany. An epidemiological appraisal of Berlin. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182033 pubmed publisher..These findings correspond with studies suggesting increased health concerns in immigrants. Focused research is needed to promote efforts in providing adequate and fair access to HPC for all people in Berlin. ..
- González García A, Fortun J, Elorza Navas E, Martin Davila P, Tato M, Gomez Mampaso E, et al. The changing epidemiology of tuberculosis in a Spanish tertiary hospital (1995-2013). Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7219 pubmed publisher..Only the use of molecular tests has provided an improvement in the diagnosis of pulmonary and extrapulmonary TB. ..
- Shah B, Griffiths R, Hall S. Thyroid cancer incidence among Asian immigrants to Ontario, Canada: A population-based cohort study. Cancer. 2017;123:3320-3325 pubmed publisher..At particularly elevated risk were immigrants from the Philippines, South Korea, and China. Cancer 2017;123:3320-5. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- da Costa L, Dias S, Martins M. Association between length of residence and overweight among adult immigrants in Portugal: A nationwide cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:316 pubmed publisher..In the future, understanding dietary patterns and acculturation process may be important for health immigrant studies. ..
- Tseng V, Yoshikawa H. Reconceptualizing acculturation: ecological processes, historical contexts, and power inequities. Commentary for Ajcp special section on "the other side of acculturation: changes among host individuals and communities in their adaptation to immi. Am J Community Psychol. 2008;42:355-8 pubmed publisher
- Björkenstam C, Kosidou K, Bjorkenstam E. Childhood adversity and risk of suicide: cohort study of 548?721 adolescents and young adults in Sweden. BMJ. 2017;357:j1334 pubmed publisher..These results emphasise the importance of understanding the social mechanisms of suicide and the need for effective interventions early in life, aiming to alleviate the risk in disadvantaged children. ..
- Belhassen García M, Velasco Tirado V, López Bernús A, Muñoz Bellido J, Muro A, Cordero M, et al. Nutritional status of children from low-income countries arriving in Spain. Int Health. 2017;9:294-300 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we evaluated the association between anaemia and nutrition problems...