mentally ill persons
Summary: Persons with psychiatric illnesses or diseases, particularly psychotic and severe mood disorders.
- Okai D, Owen G, McGuire H, Singh S, Churchill R, Hotopf M. Mental capacity in psychiatric patients: Systematic review. Br J Psychiatry. 2007;191:291-7 pubmed..Mental capacity can be reliably assessed. The majority of psychiatric in-patients have capacity, and socio-demographic variables do not have a major impact but clinical ones do. ..
- Muhlbauer S. Navigating the storm of mental illness: phases in the family's journey. Qual Health Res. 2002;12:1076-92 pubmed..Needs characteristic of each phase were evident. Additional research is needed to determine if phases are consistent in other groups and to develop interventions appropriate for each phase. ..
- Green J, Damle R, Kasper R, Violano P, Manno M, Nazarey P, et al. Are "goods for guns" good for the community? An update of a community gun buyback program. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:284-288 pubmed publisher..The results of this survey also provided new insights into the association between mental illness/suicide and gun ownership. Epidemiological, level III. ..
- Talina M, Thomas S, Cardoso A, Aguiar P, Caldas de Almeida J, Xavier M. CANFOR Portuguese version: validation study. BMC Psychiatry. 2013;13:157 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the results of the reliability and validity studies indicate that the tool is appropriate for individual care needs assessment and as a guide for the mental health and social interventions in forensic psychiatric services. ..
- McCay V. The horror of being deaf and in prison. Am Ann Deaf. 2010;155:311-21 pubmed..The author discusses other problems faced by inmates who are Deaf and offers suggestions for correcting injustices faced by those who are Deaf in American jails and prisons. ..
- Drake R, Bond G. The future of supported employment for people with severe mental illness. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2008;31:367-76 pubmed publisher..Work in each of these areas offers the promise of improving services and outcomes in the near future. ..
- Cutler J, Harding K, Hutner L, Cortland C, Graham M. Reducing medical students' stigmatization of people with chronic mental illness: a field intervention at the "living museum" state hospital art studio. Acad Psychiatry. 2012;36:191-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, nontraditional psychiatric settings offer a valuable adjunct to more traditional clinical settings to reduce stigma when introducing medical students to the field of psychiatry. ..
- Desmarais S, Van Dorn R, Telford R, Petrila J, Coffey T. Characteristics of START assessments completed in mental health jail diversion programs. Behav Sci Law. 2012;30:448-69 pubmed publisher..They additionally support the consideration of an eighth, general offending risk domain in START assessments. ..
- Fukui S, Shimizu Y, Rapp C. A Cross-cultural study of recovery for people with psychiatric disabilities between U.S. and Japan. Community Ment Health J. 2012;48:804-12 pubmed publisher..Different cultural environments may have additive influences toward people's response patterns to their recovery across countries. ..
- Jorm A, Reavley N, Ross A. Belief in the dangerousness of people with mental disorders: a review. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2012;46:1029-45 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that future research needs to focus on rigorous evaluation of interventions to reduce belief in dangerousness and the impact of this belief on people affected by mental disorders. ..
- Cummings J, Lucas S, Druss B. Addressing public stigma and disparities among persons with mental illness: the role of federal policy. Am J Public Health. 2013;103:781-5 pubmed publisher..To yield the greatest improvements, antidiscrimination laws must be coupled with antistigma programs that directly address other components of stigma. ..
- Hawthorne W, Folsom D, Sommerfeld D, Lanouette N, Lewis M, Aarons G, et al. Incarceration among adults who are in the public mental health system: rates, risk factors, and short-term outcomes. Psychiatr Serv. 2012;63:26-32 pubmed publisher..Modifiable factors affecting incarceration risk include homelessness, substance abuse, lack of medical insurance, and timely receipt of outpatient or case management services after release from incarceration. ..
- Haack K, Häßler F, Kumbier E. ["Euthanasia" of children in Nazi Germany - the case of Günter Nevermannn. On the responsibility of childhood and adolescent psychiatry in the past, the present, and the future]. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2013;41:173-9 pubmed publisher..V. (DGKJP) bzw. derer Vorgängerorganisation. Hier gilt es künftig aufzuklären und aufzudecken. ..
- Druss B, Zhao L, Von Esenwein S, Morrato E, Marcus S. Understanding excess mortality in persons with mental illness: 17-year follow up of a nationally representative US survey. Med Care. 2011;49:599-604 pubmed publisher..Efforts to address this public health problem will need to address the socioeconomic, healthcare, and clinical risk factors that underlie it. ..
- Lau W, Choi K, Chung W. A virtual psychiatric ward for orientating patients admitted for the first time. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2010;13:637-48 pubmed publisher..The results showed that the VR orientation approach is helpful in reducing patients' anxiety while also improving their level of understanding about the ward. ..
- Larsen M, Nordentoft M. [Evidence-based treatment of mentally ill homeless persons]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2010;172:1669-75 pubmed..It is evident that by offering housing, homelessness may be reduced, but the comparison of independent housing and group living did not reveal big differences. ..
- King C, Feldman J, Waithaka Y, Aban I, Hu J, Zhang S, et al. Sexual risk behaviors and sexually transmitted infection prevalence in an outpatient psychiatry clinic. Sex Transm Dis. 2008;35:877-82 pubmed publisher..Taking a sexual history in persons with SPMI is important. Those engaging in high-risk behavior should be routinely screened for STI/human immunodeficiency virus allowing for detection, treatment, and preventive education. ..
- Davis K, Peterson Badali M, Skilling T. A theoretical evaluation of a youth mental health court program model. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2016;45:17-24 pubmed publisher..Areas for continued growth include the need for comprehensive protections of legal rights. ..
- Choi A, Lee M, Lim H. Effects of group music intervention on depression, anxiety, and relationships in psychiatric patients: a pilot study. J Altern Complement Med. 2008;14:567-70 pubmed publisher..However, we cannot elucidate the nonspecific effects. Furthermore, objective and replicable measures are required from a randomized controlled trial with a larger sample size and an active comparable control. ..
- Mautner S, Lachman M, Kaplan Z, Shalev A. [Psychiatric advance directives--medical models into psychiatric medicine]. Harefuah. 2014;153:39-42, 64 pubmed..This is the first step in learning of effective ways to use this intervention in Israel and change perceptions toward a positive connection between medical efficiency and client preferences. ..
- Martens W. Vulnerable categories of homeless patients in Western societies: experience serious barriers to health care access. Med Law. 2009;28:221-39 pubmed..Suggestions for improvement are also included. ..
- Chuchra M. [The actual image of male patients with paranoid schizophrenia in perception of the patients themselves and their parents]. Psychiatr Pol. 2008;42:695-707 pubmed..Fathers have a more negative opinion of their sons than their sons have of themselves. Generally fathers and mothers perceive their sons in the same way. ..
- Lovell A, Cook J, Velpry L. [Violence towards people with severe mental disorders: a review of the literature and of related concepts]. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique. 2008;56:197-207 pubmed publisher..But geographical variation in results may require more local and national studies. The relationship between author and victim and between violence, discrimination and stigma requires more research. ..
- Glicenstein J. [Pioneers and martyrs: Delpech, Guinard, Pozzi]. Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2009;54:171-5 pubmed publisher..Pozzi (1846-1918) was probably the first to perform an operation of face lift on one of his patients but did not publish it. These three surgeons were killed by unbalanced patients they had operated of benign lesions. ..
- Owiti J, Bowers L. A narrative review of studies of refusal of psychotropic medication in acute inpatient psychiatric care. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2011;18:637-47 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive knowledge of why, and how, patients refuse medication is lacking. Research on medication refusal is still fragmented, of variable methodological quality and lacks an integrating model. ..
- Maude P. Treatment of Western Australia's mentally ill during the early colonial period, 1826-1865. Australas Psychiatry. 2013;21:397-401 pubmed publisher..Both convicts and the mentally ill were initially housed together, but evidence exists of attempts to provide therapeutic diversions at Scott's Warehouse. ..
- Toib J. Civil commitment and the criminal insanity plea in Israeli law. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2008;31:308-18 pubmed publisher..Whatever the appropriate solution for Israel, surely the first requirement is recognition of the problem. ..
- Rakhmatullina M, Taub A, Jacob T. Morbidity and mortality associated with the utilization of restraints : a review of literature. Psychiatr Q. 2013;84:499-512 pubmed publisher..Despite the proliferation of studies, there continues to remain a lack of evidence from prospective studies that would elucidate the dangers from theory to practice. ..
- Dauwerse L, Weidema F, Abma T, Molewijk B, Widdershoven G. Implicit and explicit clinical ethics support in The Netherlands: a mixed methods overview study. HEC Forum. 2014;26:95-109 pubmed..MCD might function as a bridge between the two. We conclude that explicit and implicit CES are both relevant for clinical ethics in health care. We recommend research regarding how to combine them in an appropriate way. ..
- Henwood B, Stanhope V, Brawer R, Weinstein L, Lawson J, Stwords E, et al. Addressing chronic disease within supportive housing programs. Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2013;7:67-75 pubmed publisher..Such publicly subsidized housing that is accompanied by comprehensive supports must also include self-management training to help people overcome both internal and external barriers to addressing chronic health needs. ..
- Wheeler A, McKenna B, Madell D. Stereotypes do not always apply: findings from a survey of the health behaviours of mental health consumers compared with the general population in New Zealand. N Z Med J. 2013;126:35-46 pubmed..Individual differences in health behaviours should not be ignored just because a mental illness is present. ..
- Andrews J. The (un)dress of the mad poor in England, c.1650-1850. Part 2. Hist Psychiatry. 2007;18:131-56 pubmed..More especially, the documentary accuracy of prevailing cultural representations is assessed through a case study of the records of Bethlehem (or 'Bedlam'/Bethlem) Hospital, the archetypal English madhouse. ..
- Riederer F, Marti M, Luechinger R, Lanzenberger R, von Meyenburg J, Gantenbein A, et al. Grey matter changes associated with medication-overuse headache: correlations with disease related disability and anxiety. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2012;13:517-25 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with dysfunction of antinociceptive systems in MOH, which is influenced by anxiety. Dysfunction of the reward system may be a neurobiological basis for dependence in a subgroup of MOH patients. ..
- Schomerus G, Schwahn C, Holzinger A, Corrigan P, Grabe H, Carta M, et al. Evolution of public attitudes about mental illness: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2012;125:440-52 pubmed publisher..of mental illness, increased readiness to seek mental health care and more tolerant attitudes towards mentally ill persons. A systematic review of all studies on mental illness-related beliefs and attitudes in the general ..
- Topp S, Fuchs P, Hohendorf G, Richter P, Rotzoll M. [The province of East Prussia and "euthanasia" during national socialism: the SS-"Aktion Lange" and "Aktion T4"]. Medizinhist J. 2008;43:20-55 pubmed
- Gurbuz O, Alatas G, Kurt E, Issever H, Dogan F. Oral health and treatment needs of institutionalized chronic psychiatric patients in Istanbul, Turkey. Community Dent Health. 2010;27:151-7 pubmed..These underline the urgent need for specific preventive oral health programme to improve the dental care of these chronic psychiatric inpatients. ..
- Kassam A, Glozier N, Leese M, Henderson C, Thornicroft G. Development and responsiveness of a scale to measure clinicians' attitudes to people with mental illness (medical student version). Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2010;122:153-61 pubmed publisher..4 (95% CI 0.02-0.8) after a mental illness related stigma intervention. The MICA scale is a responsive, reliable and valid tool, which can be used in medical education and mental health promotion settings and studies. ..
- Vida S. [Vulnerability to environmental heat among persons with mental health problems]. Sante Ment Que. 2011;36:97-121 pubmed..It reviews risk and protective factors. Finally, it presents preventive strategies that may help reduce the impact of heat-related illness in this population. ..
- Strous R. Extermination of the Jewish mentally-ill during the Nazi era--the "doubly cursed". Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2008;45:247-56 pubmed..quot; For many years there has been silence relating to the fate of the Jewish mentally-ill. This deserves to be corrected. ..
- Bayar M, Poyraz B, Aksoy Poyraz C, Arikan M. Reducing mental illness stigma in mental health professionals using a web-based approach. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2009;46:226-30 pubmed..These data suggest that such "anti-stigma" campaigns using the potential of the Internet might be an effective tool in the fight against the stigmatization of persons with mental illness. ..
- Tong Y, Phillips M. Cohort-specific risk of suicide for different mental disorders in China. Br J Psychiatry. 2010;196:467-73 pubmed publisher..Lower risk of suicide among rural residents with mental disorders highlights the importance of non-mental health approaches to the prevention and management of suicidal behaviour in rural areas of low- and middle-income countries. ..
- Chow W, Priebe S. Understanding psychiatric institutionalization: a conceptual review. BMC Psychiatry. 2013;13:169 pubmed publisher..The concept of institutionalization in psychiatry reflects four distinct themes. All themes have some relevance for the contemporary debate on how psychiatric care should develop and on the role of institutional care in psychiatry. ..
- Hankin C, Bronstone A, Koran L. Agitation in the inpatient psychiatric setting: a review of clinical presentation, burden, and treatment. J Psychiatr Pract. 2011;17:170-85 pubmed publisher..A treatment with these characteristics could substantially reduce the clinical and economic burden of agitation in the inpatient psychiatric setting. ..
- McGinty E, Webster D, Barry C. Effects of news media messages about mass shootings on attitudes toward persons with serious mental illness and public support for gun control policies. Am J Psychiatry. 2013;170:494-501 pubmed publisher..The aftermath of mass shootings is often viewed as a window of opportunity to garner support for gun control policies, but it also exacerbates negative attitudes toward persons with serious mental illness. ..
- Lunsky Y, Lin E, Balogh R, Klein Geltink J, Wilton A, Kurdyak P. Emergency department visits and use of outpatient physician services by adults with developmental disability and psychiatric disorder. Can J Psychiatry. 2012;57:601-7 pubmed
- Sarteschi C. Severe Mental Illness, Somatic Delusions, and Attempted Mass Murder. J Forensic Sci. 2016;61:284-7 pubmed publisher..This case highlights problems with the healthcare system, indicating that it might be ill equipped to appropriately deal with severe mental illness. ..