mentally disabled persons
Summary: Persons diagnosed as having significantly lower than average intelligence and considerable problems in adapting to everyday life or lacking independence in regard to activities of daily living.
- van Rensburg E, Poggenpoel M, Myburgh C. A conceptual framework to facilitate the mental health of student nurses working with persons with intellectual disabilities. Curationis. 2015;38:e1-e11 pubmed publisher..The conceptual framework was described and evaluated. The conceptual framework can enhance the educational practices of nurse educators and can SN's practices of care for persons with intellectual disabilities. ..
- Leever M, Richter K, Nelson P, Allman C, Wyeth D. The case of Do-Not-Resuscitate (DNR) orders and the intellectually disabled patient. HEC Forum. 2012;24:83-90 pubmed publisher..Such restrictions that are intended to protect intellectually disabled patients may violate their right to equal treatment and to a dignified death. ..
- Pakenham K. Caregiving tasks in caring for an adult with mental illness and associations with adjustment outcomes. Int J Behav Med. 2012;19:186-98 pubmed publisher..Findings delineate the key dimensions of mental health caregiving and show the differential links between caregiving activities and caregiving parameters and carer adjustment. ..
- Lightfoot E, Hill K, LaLiberte T. The inclusion of disability as a condition for termination of parental rights. Child Abuse Negl. 2010;34:927-34 pubmed publisher..This paper recommends that states consider removing disability language from their statutes, as such language risks taking the emphasis away from the assessment based on parenting behavior. ..
- Bilgin S, Gozum S. Reducing burnout in mothers with an intellectually disabled child: an education programme. J Adv Nurs. 2009;65:2552-61 pubmed publisher..Nurse-administered education should be provided for mothers who have an intellectually disabled child in order to reduce the degree of emotional burnout that these mothers typically experience. ..
- Wuang Y, Lin Y, Su C. Rasch analysis of the Bruininks-Oseretsky Test of Motor Proficiency-Second Edition in intellectual disabilities. Res Dev Disabil. 2009;30:1132-44 pubmed publisher..Items of higher difficulty may be supplemented to increase the range of ability levels of the people to whom these two composites can be applied with precision. ..
- Lancioni G, O Reilly M, Singh N, Sigafoos J, Oliva D, Severini L. Enabling persons with multiple disabilities to choose among environmental stimuli and request stimulus repetitions through microswitch and computer technology. Percept Mot Skills. 2006;103:354-62 pubmed..This performance was maintained at a 1-mo. postintervention check and transferred to sets of stimuli not used in the intervention. The implications of these results were discussed. ..
- Devereux J, Hastings R, Noone S, Firth A, Totsika V. Social support and coping as mediators or moderators of the impact of work stressors on burnout in intellectual disability support staff. Res Dev Disabil. 2009;30:367-77 pubmed publisher..These findings emphasise the importance of coping in managing work demands and for the development of burnout in support staff. ..
- Suzuki H, Kawara M, Tanaka Y, Mega J, Takahashi H. Custom-made mouth guards for Special Olympics athletes. Spec Care Dentist. 2007;27:125-6 pubmed
- Jones M, McLafferty E, Walley R, Toland J, Melson N. Inclusion in primary care for people with intellectual disabilities: gaining the perspective of service user and supporting social care staff. J Intellect Disabil. 2008;12:93-109 pubmed publisher..Service users identified ;feelings about going to the doctor', ;health education' and ;making changes'. Gaining these views is an important first step in improving access to primary healthcare. ..
- Johnson P. The prevalence of low self-esteem in an intellectually disabled forensic population. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2012;56:317-25 pubmed publisher..The offence types concurred with previously noted patterns of offending within the intellectually disabled forensic population. ..
- Brodaty H, Woodward M, Boundy K, Ames D, Balshaw R. Patients in Australian Memory Clinics: baseline characteristics and predictors of decline at six months. Int Psychogeriatr. 2011;23:1086-96 pubmed publisher..Patients with FTD were more likely to be prescribed psychotropics. The PRIME study is continuing and will provide important data on predictors of decline along with differences between diagnosis groups on the rate of change. ..
- Nierse C, Abma T. Developing voice and empowerment: the first step towards a broad consultation in research agenda setting. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2011;55:411-21 pubmed publisher..These steps are necessary to initiate a process towards establishing a broad consultation between different stakeholders about research on ID. ..
- McClive Reed K, Gellis Z. Anxiety and related symptoms in older persons with dementia: directions for practice. J Gerontol Soc Work. 2011;54:6-28 pubmed publisher..Discussion follows on promising nonpharmacological interventions that are recommended for further consideration and future research. ..
- Gacek M. [Evaluation of collective feeding in a group of school children with mental disability in special educating childcare centres]. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2009;60:247-50 pubmed..3 mg) and standard supply of vitamin E (10.5 mg) and B1 (1.6 mg). Content of iron (14.9 mg) fluctuated around standard supply, but particularly non-beneficial was the relation between calcium and phosphorus. ..
- Paterson L, McKenzie K, Lindsay B. Stigma, social comparison and self-esteem in adults with an intellectual disability. J Appl Res Intellect Disabil. 2012;25:166-76 pubmed publisher..This study provides support for the influence of the perception of stigma and social comparison on the self-concept of individuals with an intellectual disability. ..
- Janowsky D, Buneviciute J, Hu Q, Davis J. Lithium-induced renal insufficiency: a longitudinal study of creatinine increases in intellectually disabled adults. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2011;31:769-73 pubmed publisher..3 and/or 1.4 mg/100 mL predicted renal insufficiency. Clinical implications of this study are that if 1 serum creatinine result reaches 1.3 mg/100 mL or more, intensive monitoring for further increases is indicated. ..
- Johnson H, Douglas J, Bigby C, Iacono T. The pearl in the middle: a case study of social interactions in an individual with a severe intellectual disability. J Intellect Dev Disabil. 2010;35:175-86 pubmed publisher..The results point to the benefits of a focus on learning that makes interactions meaningful for each individual, sharing that information with network members, and considering ways to increase interactions and extend the social network. ..
- Marcinkowski J, Klimberg A. [Medico-legal opinions in cases for annulment of testament. Part I. Characteristics of investigative material. Characteristics of testators]. Arch Med Sadowej Kryminol. 2007;57:34-41 pubmed..Hence, the testaments were often drawn up in a hospital room or in a notary office where the patient was taken between consecutive hospitalizations. ..
- Meijer J, Simons C, Quee P, Verweij K. Cognitive alterations in patients with non-affective psychotic disorder and their unaffected siblings and parents. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2012;125:66-76 pubmed publisher..Cognitive functioning is a candidate intermediate phenotype given significant small to large alterations in patients and intermediate alterations in first-degree relatives. ..
- Gao N, Schmidt L, Gill K, Pratt C. Building human capital to increase earning power among people living with mental illnesses. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2011;35:117-24 pubmed publisher..This supports the value in developing and implementing Supported Education to assist consumers in acquiring education and job training. ..
- Battams S, Baum F. What policies and policy processes are needed to ensure that people with psychiatric disabilities have access to appropriate housing?. Soc Sci Med. 2010;70:1026-34 pubmed publisher..The paper concludes with a discussion of policy and policy processes which will support housing outcomes for people with psychiatric disability. ..
- Tamura F, Kikutani T, Machida R, Takahashi N, Nishiwaki K, Yaegaki K. Feeding therapy for children with food refusal. Int J Orofacial Myology. 2011;37:57-68 pubmed..Hypersensitivity and/or tube feeding may induce food refusal. For subjects with these conditions, feeding therapy combined with desensitization therapy is effective in achieving recovery from food refusal. ..
- Matson J, Dempsey T, Fodstad J. The effect of Autism Spectrum Disorders on adaptive independent living skills in adults with severe intellectual disability. Res Dev Disabil. 2009;30:1203-11 pubmed publisher..The implications of these data for more fully describing and diagnosing autism and PDD-NOS in adults are discussed. ..
- Puusepp H, Käll K, Salomons G, Talvik I, Männamaa M, Rein R, et al. The screening of SLC6A8 deficiency among Estonian families with X-linked mental retardation. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2010;33 Suppl 3:S5-11 pubmed..We therefore conclude that creatine transporter deficiency is a relatively common genetic disorder in males with sporadic or familiar MR and diagnostic screening of them should always include screening for SLC6A8 deficiency. ..
- Peterson J, Lowe J, Peterson N, Nothwehr F, Janz K, Lobas J. Paths to leisure physical activity among adults with intellectual disabilities: self-efficacy and social support. Am J Health Promot. 2008;23:35-42 pubmed publisher..The results provide information to guide health promotion programs for this group. ..
- Wong A. Treatment planning considerations for adult oral rehabilitation cases in the operating room. Dent Clin North Am. 2009;53:255-67, ix pubmed publisher..A systematic approach for treatment plan consideration is explored for oral rehabilitation cases using general anesthesia or monitored anesthesia care. ..
- Lancioni G, Singh N, O Reilly M, Sigafoos J, Oliva D, Campodonico F, et al. Assisting persons with multiple disabilities to move through simple occupational activities with automatic prompting. Res Dev Disabil. 2008;29:439-46 pubmed..Implications of the findings are discussed. ..
- Hudson L. From small beginnings: the euthanasia of children with disabilities in Nazi Germany. J Paediatr Child Health. 2011;47:508-11 pubmed publisher..The history of the Nazi child euthanasia programme has a number of important lessons for practicing doctors and health policy-makers in the 21st century. ..
- Asahi Y, Omichi S, Adachi S, Kagamiuchi H, Kotani J. Ventilation via cut nasotracheal tube during general anesthesia. Anesth Prog. 2013;60:11-4 pubmed publisher..Most dental treatments involving minor oral surgeries were performed using mouth gags during CNT ventilation. CNT ventilation was shown to be superior to mask ventilation and is useful during dental treatment under general anesthesia. ..
- Whitley R, Strickler D, Drake R. Recovery centers for people with severe mental illness: a survey of programs. Community Ment Health J. 2012;48:547-56 pubmed publisher..We discuss some of the advantages and disadvantages of recovery centers, especially important given wider policy commitment to recovery, detailing the importance of future research and evaluation. ..
- Kullmann L, Paulik E. [Disabled person's satisfaction with health and social care--an internationally developed instrument]. Lege Artis Med. 2011;21:129-37 pubmed..The field trial confirms validity and reliability of the instrument. Its wider use may help the evaluation of satisfaction concerning different components of quality of care, consequently better tailoring of services to needs. ..
- de Heer Wunderink C, Visser E, Caro Nienhuis A, Sytema S, Wiersma D. Supported housing and supported independent living in the Netherlands, with a comparison with England. Community Ment Health J. 2012;48:321-7 pubmed publisher..This is largely comparable to the English situation. In comparison with their English counterparts, Dutch service users have more met needs and are more engaged in occupational activities. ..
- Hartley S, Maclean W. Stressful social interactions experienced by adults with mild intellectual disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil. 2009;114:71-84 pubmed publisher..Difficulty controlling aggression predicted stressful social interactions. Findings are beneficial to developers of interventions to decrease stressful social interactions. ..
- Ghassemi G, Ahmadzadeh G, Yousefy A, Usefy A, Fanian H, Omranifard V, et al. What are the predictors of work impairment in Iranian patients with depressive disorders?. Community Ment Health J. 2009;45:453-62 pubmed publisher..Nature of illness condition as well as societal attitude can explain the impairment condition in depressed patients. Presence of a comprehensive integrated approach to their treatment and rehabilitation is imperative. ..
- Nicholson L, Cooper S. Access to healthcare services by people with intellectual disabilities: a rural-urban comparison. J Intellect Disabil. 2011;15:115-30 pubmed publisher..Contrary to the original hypothesis, adults with intellectual disabilities living in rural areas were not found to be disadvantaged. ..
- Memisevic H, Sinanovic O. Epilepsy in children with intellectual disability in Bosnia and Herzegovina: effects of sex, level and etiology of intellectual disability. Res Dev Disabil. 2009;30:1078-83 pubmed publisher..Some psycho-educational implications of epilepsy were discussed and in the future there should be better cooperation between medical and educational institutions in treating the bio-psycho-social issues of a child with epilepsy. ..
- Mahfouz A, Khan M. Incidental finding of foreign bodies during nasal intubation in a mentally challenged patient. Middle East J Anaesthesiol. 2013;22:191-4 pubmed..They are often asymptomatic and may remain undetected for years. We are presenting a case of an incidental finding of foreign bodies during nasal intubation in a mentally challenged patient. ..
- Scior K, Kan K, McLoughlin A, Sheridan J. Public attitudes toward people with intellectual disabilities: a cross-cultural study. Intellect Dev Disabil. 2010;48:278-89 pubmed publisher..The results are discussed in terms of policy implementation and additional research. ..
- Shih C, Shih C, Luo C. Evaluation of automatic pointing assistive function effect in cursor-positioning task for people with disabilities. Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2011;6:115-22 pubmed publisher..001). The performance of the APAP is superior to those in previous studies in positioning time for people with disabilities. The APAP function is expected to help aged users and novices in operating a mouse efficiently and easily. ..
- Thorlacius S, Stefánsson S, Olafsson S, Tomasson K. Increased incidence of disability due to mental and behavioural disorders in Iceland 1990-2007. J Ment Health. 2010;19:176-83 pubmed publisher..The most likely explanation for the changes we observe is alteration in social conditions leading to a lower threshold for seeking disability pension for mental disorders. ..
- Yen C, Lin J, Wu J, Kang S. Institutional care for people with disabilities in Taiwan: a national report between 2002 and 2007. Res Dev Disabil. 2009;30:323-9 pubmed publisher..The data of the present study provided can be a basis for further discussion on the debate of institutional care or community care for people with disabilities in Taiwan community. ..
- Kroese B, Rose J, Heer K, O Brien A. Mental health services for adults with intellectual disabilities--what do service users and staff think of them?. J Appl Res Intellect Disabil. 2013;26:3-13 pubmed publisher..A number of suggestions for improving services are identified and discussed in the context of current service policies and procedures. ..
- Sagheri D, McLoughlin J, Nunn J. Dental caries experience and barriers to care in young children with disabilities in Ireland. Quintessence Int. 2013;44:159-69 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the number of young children with disabilities and their dental caries levels remains unknown. The aim of the present study was to measure the dental caries levels in a sample of preschool children with disabilities...
- Melendez R, Batista D, Font D, Bausà T, Hijano A, Rocha A, et al. [Prolonged convulsions treated with buccal midazolam in a setting of mentally retarded patients with refractory epilepsy]. Neurologia. 2006;21:411-3 pubmed..Buccal midazolam is effective and safe in the treatment of prolonged seizures and has the advantage of being a convenient and socially acceptable administration form. ..
- Broadhurst S, Mansell J. Organizational and individual factors associated with breakdown of residential placements for people with intellectual disabilities. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2007;51:293-301 pubmed
- Katalinić S, Sendula Jengić V, Šendula Pavelić M, Zudenigo S. Reproductive rights of mentally retarded persons. Psychiatr Danub. 2012;24:38-43 pubmed..This review article is based on international investigations and Croatian legislative postulates. Its aim is to focus the attention of both professionals and non-professionals on this delicate problem. ..
- Boulding D, Brooks S. Trying differently: A relationship-centered approach to representing clients with cognitive challenges. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2010;33:448-62 pubmed publisher..The paper provides two illustrations of the relational framework by explaining Boulding's strategy of creating what is called the "external brain" and his techniques of relational interviewing. ..
- Katz G, Lazcano Ponce E. Sexuality in subjects with intellectual disability: an educational intervention proposal for parents and counselors in developing countries. Salud Publica Mex. 2008;50 Suppl 2:s239-54 pubmed..Thus, people with mental deficiency in developing countries can aspire to being integrated into social and work life and to appropriately expressing their sexuality. ..
- Shaw K, Cartwright C, Craig J. The housing and support needs of people with an intellectual disability into older age. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2011;55:895-903 pubmed publisher..A preference was expressed for models of housing that provide the opportunity for people with an ID to live in close proximity to their peers and in large groups in the community rather than in small, dispersed community housing. ..