Genomes and Genes
Summary: A human infant born before 37 weeks of GESTATION.
- Limperopoulos C, Chilingaryan G, Guizard N, Robertson R, Du Plessis A. Cerebellar injury in the premature infant is associated with impaired growth of specific cerebral regions. Pediatr Res. 2010;68:145-50 pubmed publisherWe have shown that cerebellar injury in the premature infant is followed by significant growth impairment of the contralateral cerebral hemisphere evident as early as term adjusted age...
- Ahmed S, Rich W, Finer N. The effect of averaging time on oximetry values in the premature infant. Pediatrics. 2010;125:e115-21 pubmed publisher..The significance of these findings lies in the potential impact on neurodevelopmental outcomes and growth, which will need additional study. ..
- Carbonell Estrany X, Simoes E, Dagan R, Hall C, Harris B, Hultquist M, et al. Motavizumab for prophylaxis of respiratory syncytial virus in high-risk children: a noninferiority trial. Pediatrics. 2010;125:e35-51 pubmed publisher..AEs were similar in both groups, although cutaneous AEs were higher for motavizumab recipients. Motavizumab may offer an improved alternative in prophylaxis for serious RSV disease in infants and children at high risk. ..
- Nankervis C, Martin E, Crane M, Samson K, Welty S, Nelin L. Implementation of a multidisciplinary guideline-driven approach to the care of the extremely premature infant improved hospital outcomes. Acta Paediatr. 2010;99:188-93 pubmed publisherTo test the hypothesis that implementing guidelines for the standardized care of the extremely premature infant (<27 weeks) in the first week of life would improve patient outcomes in an all referral NICU...
- Poole R, Schiff L, Hintz S, Wong A, Mackenzie N, Kerner J. Aluminum content of parenteral nutrition in neonates: measured versus calculated levels. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010;50:208-11 pubmed publisher..kg(-1) . day(-1)...
- Been J, Rours I, Kornelisse R, Jonkers F, de Krijger R, Zimmermann L. Chorioamnionitis alters the response to surfactant in preterm infants. J Pediatr. 2010;156:10-15.e1 pubmed publisher..To study the association between antenatal exposure to chorioamnionitis and the neonatal response to surfactant...
- Shah M, Shah S. Nutrient deficiencies in the premature infant. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2009;56:1069-83 pubmed publisher..This article reviews the normal accretion of nutrients in the fetus, discusses specific nutrient deficiencies that are exacerbated in the postnatal period, and identifies key areas for future research. ..
- Al Idrissi E, ElGhazali G, Alzahrani M, Menasche G, Pachlopnik Schmid J, Basile G. Premature birth, respiratory distress, intracerebral hemorrhage, and silvery-gray hair: differential diagnosis of the 3 types of Griscelli syndrome. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2010;32:494-6 pubmed publisher..Differential diagnosis of the various forms of GS must be performed as early as possible as GS2 is associated with a life threatening but curable immune disorder. ..
- Frye R, Malmberg B, McLean J, Swank P, Smith K, Papanicolaou A, et al. Increased left prefrontal activation during an auditory language task in adolescents born preterm at high risk. Brain Res. 2010;1336:89-97 pubmed publisher..We suggest that this increased prefrontal activation may represent increased top-down control of weak posterior language networks. ..
- Saria S, Rajani A, Gould J, Koller D, PENN A. Integration of early physiological responses predicts later illness severity in preterm infants. Sci Transl Med. 2010;2:48ra65 pubmed publisher..Our flexible methodology of individual risk prediction based on automated, rapid, noninvasive measurements can be easily applied to a range of prediction tasks to improve patient care and resource allocation. ..
- Mwansa Kambafwile J, Cousens S, Hansen T, Lawn J. Antenatal steroids in preterm labour for the prevention of neonatal deaths due to complications of preterm birth. Int J Epidemiol. 2010;39 Suppl 1:i122-33 pubmed publisher..If fully scaled up, this intervention could save up to 500 000 neonatal lives annually. ..
- Tirone C, Boccacci S, Inzitari R, Tana M, Aurilia C, Fanali C, et al. Correlation of levels of alpha-defensins determined by HPLC-ESI-MS in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid with the diagnosis of pneumonia in premature neonates. Pediatr Res. 2010;68:140-4 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data show that preterm newborns, also at the lower GA, are able to produce alpha-defensins, underlining that their innate defense system is already active before the at-term delivery date. ..
- Svensson J, Schlinzig T, Kaiser S. "Wandering liver" in a neonate: case report and review of the literature. J Pediatr Surg. 2010;45:635-8 pubmed publisher..There are only a few presentations of asymptomatic wandering liver, and there is no clear course of treatment of those cases. We present a case of wandering liver in a prematurely born neonate and a review of the literature. ..
- ..Even in the modern age, inappropriate therapies have been introduced on the basis of short-term beneficial outcomes without longer-term evaluation. Sometimes we are slow to learn the lessons of the past. ..
- Larson L. Can you hear me now?. Ky Nurse. 2010;58:10 pubmed..Eliminating excessive noise in the NICU environment is essential in promoting positive health outcomes for preterm and term infants. ..
- Franco P, Kato I, Richardson H, Yang J, Montemitro E, Horne R. Arousal from sleep mechanisms in infants. Sleep Med. 2010;11:603-14 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we will review these different aspects for the study of arousals in infants and also report the importance of these studies for the understanding of the pathophysiology of some clinical conditions, particularly SIDS. ..
- Hayashi M, Oya A, Miyake H, Nakai A, Takeshita T. Effect of urinary trypsin inhibitor on preterm labor with high granulocyte elastase concentration in cervical secretions. J Nippon Med Sch. 2010;77:80-5 pubmed..42%, p=0.001). In patients in preterm labor with a high elastase concentration in cervical secretions, treatment with UTI reduced the risk of preterm delivery and improved neonatal outcomes. ..
- Khashan A, Baker P, Kenny L. Preterm birth and reduced birthweight in first and second teenage pregnancies: a register-based cohort study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2010;10:36 pubmed publisher..A first pregnancy may be the first and only time a pregnant teenager interacts with health services and this opportunity for health education and the promotion of contraception should not be overlooked. ..
- Ahn H, Lee J, Shin H. Kangaroo care on premature infant growth and maternal attachment and post-partum depression in South Korea. J Trop Pediatr. 2010;56:342-4 pubmed publisher..Maternal attachment scores were higher among the KC mothers. The results supported the beneficial effects of KC on Korean premature infants and their mothers. ..
- Bissinger R, Annibale D. Thermoregulation in very low-birth-weight infants during the golden hour: results and implications. Adv Neonatal Care. 2010;10:230-8 pubmed publisher..This leaves the premature infant vulnerable to cold stress especially in the first hours to weeks of life...
- Gunville C, Sontag M, Stratton K, Ranade D, Abman S, Mourani P. Scope and impact of early and late preterm infants admitted to the PICU with respiratory illness. J Pediatr. 2010;157:209-214.e1 pubmed publisher..01 and P < .02, respectively). EPT and LPT infants comprise a considerable proportion of PICU admissions for respiratory illness and have greater resource utilization than FT infants. ..
- Mirtallo J, Dasta J, Kleinschmidt K, Varon J. State of the art review: Intravenous fat emulsions: Current applications, safety profile, and clinical implications. Ann Pharmacother. 2010;44:688-700 pubmed publisher..The results of this review demonstrate that IVFEs are well tolerated when administered in accordance with guideline recommendations. ..
- Tołłoczko J, Kornacka M, Sonczyk A, Zapała Ł. Late preter cant neonatal problem?. Ginekol Pol. 2010;81:693-8 pubmed..60%), p = 0.0000. (1) Respiratory disturbances, hiperbilirubinemia and intrauterine infections are more frequently observed in late preterms. (2) Increased morbidity in late preterm neonates prolongs the time of hospitalization. ..
- Pádua G, Martinez E, Brunherotti M. [Cardiorespiratory effects of the body position in premature newborns submitted to the increase of the gastric volume]. Arq Gastroenterol. 2009;46:321-7 pubmed
- Dani C, Berti E, Barp J. Risk factors for INSURE failure in preterm infants. Minerva Pediatr. 2010;62:19-20 pubmed..Thus, it is possible that the multiple INSURE strategy might decrease the failure rate of INSURE and increase its effectiveness in preventing the need for mechanical ventilation (MV). ..
- Szucs K, Axline S, Rosenman M. Induced lactation and exclusive breast milk feeding of adopted premature twins. J Hum Lact. 2010;26:309-13 pubmed publisher..Health care professionals are encouraged to support any adoptive mother who expresses interest in breastfeeding her infant(s). ..
- Ben Hamida Nouaili E, Chaouachi S, Ben Said A, Marrakchi Z. Determinants of neonatal mortality in a Tunisian population. Tunis Med. 2010;88:42-5 pubmed..The multitude of the risk factors implies the need for a multidisciplinary strategy of intervention, engaging the pre and perinatal prevention. ..
- Liu C, Chao Y, Huang C, Wei F, Chien L. Effectiveness of applying empowerment strategies when establishing a support group for parents of preterm infants. J Clin Nurs. 2010;19:1729-37 pubmed publisher..Health professionals should apply empowerment strategies when establishing parental support groups for preterm infants. ..
- Manzoni P, Tarnow Mordi W, Franco C, Gallo E, Spera A, Rizzollo S, et al. Clinical use of lactoferrin in preterm neonates: an update. Minerva Pediatr. 2010;62:101-4 pubmed..Future studies are warranted to better elucidate the extent of the prevention provided by Ictoferrin and to identify the most suitable dosages to be administered. ..
- van Iersel P, Bakker S, Jonker A, Hadders Algra M. Does perinatal asphyxia contribute to neurological dysfunction in preterm infants?. Early Hum Dev. 2010;86:457-61 pubmed publisher..Perinatal asphyxia in preterm infants is not associated with an increased risk for neurodevelopmental problems including CP. Respiratory problems during the neonatal period are associated with PVL and adverse neurological outcome. ..
- Jessop L, Kelleher C, Murrin C, Lotya J, Clarke A, O Mahony D, et al. Determinants of partial or no primary immunisations. Arch Dis Child. 2010;95:603-5 pubmed publisher..64 (1.0 to 13.2). Being born prematurely was associated with partial primary immunisation, adjusted OR 4.63 (1.24 to 17.3). Knowledge of these differences will help target campaigns to increase full uptake of primary immunisations. ..
- Dzieniecka M, Grzelak Krzymianowska A, Kulig A. Segmental congenital defect of the intestinal musculature. Pol J Pathol. 2010;61:94-6 pubmed..Etiology is still unknown. The authors report one case of segmental absence of small bowel muscular layer in preterm born infant. Some ideas concerning the pathogenesis of this entity and review of the literature is presented. ..
- Indredavik M, Vik T, Evensen K, Skranes J, Taraldsen G, Brubakk A. Perinatal risk and psychiatric outcome in adolescents born preterm with very low birth weight or term small for gestational age. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2010;31:286-94 pubmed publisher..Lower Apgar score increased the risk for autism spectrum symptoms and internalizing symptoms. Among adolescents born term small for GA, the main risk factor for psychiatric symptoms was low socioeconomic status. ..
- Kallankari H, Kaukola T, Ojaniemi M, Herva R, Perhomaa M, Vuolteenaho R, et al. Chemokine CCL18 predicts intraventricular hemorrhage in very preterm infants. Ann Med. 2010;42:416-25 pubmed publisher..Low cord blood CCL18 is an independent risk factor of IVH. CCL18 may inhibit signal transduction of its receptor in periventricular cells. Defining the function and regulation of CCL18 may help to decrease the risk of IVH. ..
- Chen T, Yang C, Chen S. Calcinosis cutis complicated by compartment syndrome following extravasation of calcium gluconate in a neonate: a case report. Pediatr neonatol. 2010;51:238-41 pubmed publisher..This report aims to raise doctors' awareness of the presentation, course, and management of this relatively rare iatrogenic complication. ..
- Riemenschneider K, Redenius R, Reese J, Fine J, WEITKAMP J, Tkaczyk E. Erythematous plaques and papules on a premature infant. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;76:e111-e112 pubmed publisher..A skin punch biopsy is shown (Figure 2)...
- Vanderbilt D, Gleason M. Mental health concerns of the premature infant through the lifespan. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2010;19:211-28, vii-viii pubmed publisher..The complex interactions between prematurity and family well-being are also highlighted. Finally, evidence-based treatment modalities involved in prevention and management are explored. ..
- Martin J, Jorda E, Alonso V, Villalon G, Montesinos E. Halo scalp ring in a premature newborn and review of the literature. Pediatr Dermatol. 2009;26:706-8 pubmed publisher..We report a new case of halo scalp ring in a premature newborn. Review of previously reported cases suggests that prematurity is an important, previously unrecognized, risk factor for developing a halo scalp ring. ..
- van Soelen I, Brouwer R, Peper J, van Beijsterveldt T, van Leeuwen M, de Vries L, et al. Effects of gestational age and birth weight on brain volumes in healthy 9 year-old children. J Pediatr. 2010;156:896-901 pubmed publisher..The effect of gestational age on cerebellar volume is not limited to children with very premature birth or very low birth weight, but is also present in children born >32 weeks of gestation and with birth weight >1500 g. ..
- Gurka M, LoCasale Crouch J, Blackman J. Long-term cognition, achievement, socioemotional, and behavioral development of healthy late-preterm infants. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010;164:525-32 pubmed publisher..Late-preterm infants born otherwise healthy seem to have no real burdens regarding cognition, achievement, behavior, and socioemotional development throughout childhood. ..
- Denne C, Maag S, Heussen N, Hausler M. A new method to analyse the pace of child development: Cox regression validated by a bootstrap resampling procedure. BMC Pediatr. 2010;10:12 pubmed publisher..Retrospective data acquisition may lead to a bias because the parental memories change with time. This recommends applying this statistical approach in larger prospective trials. ..
- Del Prato F, Di Matteo A, Messina F, Napolitano M. [PICC: central venous access by the peripheral route. Medical-nursing aspects]. Minerva Pediatr. 2010;62:161-3 pubmed..We will, finally, show our data on PICC related to 212 preterms admitted in our NICU with weight <1500 gr and/o E.G. <30 ws.; from the year 2006 to 2009, that correspond to the our precence to the Vermont Oxford Network (VON). ..
- England L, Kim S, Tomar S, Ray C, Gupta P, Eissenberg T, et al. Non-cigarette tobacco use among women and adverse pregnancy outcomes. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2010;89:454-64 pubmed publisher..We highlight research gaps and provide recommendations for a global research agenda. ..
- O Donnell D, Parslow R, Draper E. Deprivation, ethnicity and prematurity in infant respiratory failure in PICU in the UK. Acta Paediatr. 2010;99:1186-91 pubmed publisher..Socioeconomic deprivation and prematurity are additional risk factors for admission. Fewer South Asian infants are admitted to PICU with a diagnosis of bronchiolitis, but risk-adjusted mortality is higher in South Asian infants overall. ..
- Lim A, Mol B, Bruinse H. [Progesterone for prevention of preterm delivery: only in trial setting]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2010;154:A1730 pubmed..The results in pregnant women with asymptomatic shortening of the cervix are promising, although more research is needed in this group. ..
- Weindling M. Insights into early brain development from modern brain imaging and outcome studies. Acta Paediatr. 2010;99:961-6 pubmed publisher..The challenge for paediatricians is to discover the causes, with the aim of promoting normal brain development. ..
- Dyer K, Alvarez J, Salamon C, Apuzzio J, Alvarez M, Al Khan A. The influence of race on the incidence of respiratory distress syndrome after antenatal betamethasone or dexamethasone. J Reprod Med. 2010;55:124-8 pubmed..3% vs. 55.6%, respectively; p = 0.038). No difference was noted among Caucasians. Among African American neonates, the incidence of RDS was higher in those who received dexamethasone vs. betamethasone. ..
- Papoff P, Caresta E, Manganaro M, Cicchetti R, Mancuso M, Ferro V, et al. [Ventilatory care]. Minerva Pediatr. 2010;62:133-5 pubmed..g., CPAP, HFOV, NIV, permissive hypercapnia, surfattant), of which neonatologists are particularly expert. ..
- Feng J, Wang T, Yang C, Wang W, Xu X. Flash visual evoked potentials at 2-year-old infants with different birth weights. World J Pediatr. 2010;6:163-8 pubmed publisher..As a noninvasive and convenient method, FVEPs are useful in assessing certain aspects of an infant's visual development and visual function. ..
- Baba L, McGrath J, Liu J. The efficacy of mechanical vibration analgesia for relief of heel stick pain in neonates: a novel approach. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2010;24:274-83 pubmed publisher..Because vibration produced the predicted positive effect in some circumstances, further investigation in larger samples within a randomized clinical trial is warranted. ..
- Bell E, Hansen N, Morriss F, Stoll B, Ambalavanan N, Gould J, et al. Impact of timing of birth and resident duty-hour restrictions on outcomes for small preterm infants. Pediatrics. 2010;126:222-31 pubmed publisher..In this network, the timing of birth had little effect on the risks of death and morbidity for very low birth weight infants, which suggests that staffing patterns were adequate to provide consistent care. ..
- Martins C, Tapia C. [The skin of the premature newborn under the nurse's evaluation: orientating the manteinance of cutaneous integrity]. Rev Bras Enferm. 2009;62:778-83 pubmed..Revision of the literature about the beneficial interaction among the skin of premature infant newborn and the appropriate handling, orientated by the nurse, that through the standardization of the cares ..
- George I, Frank Briggs A, Nyengidiki T. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia in a premature infant--case report and literature review. Niger J Med. 2010;19:108-11 pubmed..She is regular to follow up with recurrent episodes of wheeze requiring admissions. Bronchopulmonary dysplasia should be suspected in a premature extremely low birth weight infant with early recurrent respiratory distress. ..
- Filho L, Rossi F, Deutsch A, Yagui A, Timenetsky K, Rebello C. Persistence of ventilatory defect after resolution of pulmonary interstitial emphysema in a preterm baby. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2010;23:712-6 pubmed publisher..This finding indicates that functional abnormalities may persist for longer periods after radiologic resolution of such lesions. ..
- Vederhus B, Markestad T, Eide G, Graue M, Halvorsen T. Health related quality of life after extremely preterm birth: a matched controlled cohort study. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010;8:53 pubmed publisher..Learning and/or attention problems were reported for a majority of preterms, strongly influencing their HRQoL. ..
- Michel F, Vialet R, Hassid S, Nicaise C, Garbi A, Thomachot L, et al. Sevoflurane for central catheter placement in neonatal intensive care: a randomized trial. Paediatr Anaesth. 2010;20:712-9 pubmed publisher..Inhaled sevoflurane does not make easier catheters placement but prevent pain-related symptoms. Because sevoflurane is responsible for hypotension, it requires careful monitoring and treatment adaptation. ..