Summary: Persons as individuals (e.g., ABORTION APPLICANTS) or as members of a group (e.g., HISPANIC AMERICANS). It is not used for members of the various professions (e.g., PHYSICIANS) or occupations (e.g., LIBRARIANS) for which OCCUPATIONAL GROUPS is available.
- Sasseville M, Chouinard M, Fortin M. Patient-reported outcomes in multimorbidity intervention research: A scoping review. Int J Nurs Stud. 2018;77:145-153 pubmed publisherAlthough chronic disease management interventions for persons with multimorbidity are offered in primary healthcare, a strong evidence base supporting such interventions is still lacking...
- Ebrahimi H, Hasankhani H, Namdar H, Khodadadi E, Fooladi M. Dealing with Chronic Illness: Experiences of Iranian Families of Persons with Multiple Sclerosis-A Qualitative Study. Mult Scler Int. 2017;2017:9243161 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to explore the coping strategies in family caregivers of persons with multiple sclerosis in Iran.
- Cecchi F, Pancani S, Vannetti F, Boni R, Castagnoli C, Paperini A, et al. Hemoglobin concentration is associated with self-reported disability and reduced physical performance in a community dwelling population of nonagenarians: the Mugello Study. Intern Emerg Med. 2017;12:1167-1173 pubmed publisher..251 persons (177 women, age 93.2Â Â±Â 3.3Â years; 74 men, age 92.2Â Â±Â 2.5Â years) underwent a blood draw...
- Tilahun G, Makinde O, Malonza D. Modelling and Optimal Control of Typhoid Fever Disease with Cost-Effective Strategies. Comput Math Methods Med. 2017;2017:2324518 pubmed publisher..for the cost involved in prevention, screening, and treatment together with the total number of the infected persons averted...
- Fedotova T, Kolpashchikov D. Liquid-to-gel transition for visual and tactile detection of biological analytes. Chem Commun (Camb). 2017;53:12622-12625 pubmed publisher..The signal output (a piece of gel) can be unambiguously distinguished from liquid both visually and by touch. This approach promises to contribute to the development of an accessible environment for visually impaired persons.
- Delise P, Allocca G, Sitta N. Brugada type 1 electrocardiogram: Should we treat the electrocardiogram or the patient?. World J Cardiol. 2017;9:737-741 pubmed publisher..As a result, many healthy persons may be treated in order to save a few patients with a true Brugada Syndrome. Better risk stratification is needed...
- Zalcberg J, Buchanan J. Clinical issues in euthanasia. Med J Aust. 1997;166:150-2 pubmed
- Xie T, YANG J, Simoni J, Shiu C, Chen W, Zhao H, et al. Unable to be a Human Being in Front of Other People: A Qualitative Study of Self-Isolation Among People Living with HIV/AIDS in China. J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2017;24:211-222 pubmed publisher..To understand this phenomenon, we conducted individual in-depth interviews with 34 persons living with HIV/AIDS (PLwHA) in Shanghai and Beijing...
- Todd J, Cole S, Wohl D, Simpson R, Jonsson Funk M, Brookhart M, et al. Underutilization of Statins When Indicated in HIV-Seropositive and Seronegative Women. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2017;31:447-454 pubmed publisherIncreased life expectancy of persons living with HIV infection receiving antiretroviral therapy heightens the importance of preventing and treating chronic comorbidities such as cardiovascular disease...
- Gobbens R, Schols J, van Assen M. Exploring the efficiency of the Tilburg Frailty Indicator: a review. Clin Interv Aging. 2017;12:1739-1752 pubmed publisher..In order to be able to meet the individual needs of frail older persons, traditional and often fragmented elderly care should be developed toward a more proactive elderly care, in which ..
- Nyman D, Eidelman L, Sprung C. Euthanasia. Crit Care Clin. 1996;12:85-96 pubmed..The problems involved in withholding or withdrawing treatment, physician-assisted suicide, and arguments for or against euthanasia are discussed. Changes in both societal and physician attitudes and practices are presented. ..
- Gostin L. Deciding life and death in the courtroom. From Quinlan to Cruzan, Glucksberg, and Vacco--a brief history and analysis of constitutional protection of the 'right to die'. JAMA. 1997;278:1523-8 pubmed..The Supreme Court, hinting that it would find state legalization of physician-assisted suicide constitutional, invited the nation to pursue an earnest debate on physician assistance in the dying process. ..
- Daly B, Berry D, Fitzpatrick J, Drew B, Montgomery K. Assisted suicide: implications for nurses and nursing. Nurs Outlook. 1997;45:209-14 pubmed..It is essential that the profession continue to explore the moral issues involved in requests for assistance in dying and provide additional guidelines for practicing nurses, with sound rationale for the profession's position. ..
- Goswami N. Falls and Fall-Prevention in Older Persons: Geriatrics Meets Spaceflight!. Front Physiol. 2017;8:603 pubmed publisher..As hospitalized older persons spend up to 80% of their time in bed, the deconditioning effects of bedrest confinement on physiological ..
- Candilis P, Appelbaum K. Physician-assisted suicide and the Supreme Court: the Washington and Vacco verdicts. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 1997;25:595-606 pubmed..The conceptual distinctions between assisted suicide, refusal of life-sustaining treatment, and administration of pain medication to terminally ill patients were endorsed as important guideposts for future analyses. ..
- Gostin L. Public health law in a new century: part III: public health regulation: A systematic evaluation. JAMA. 2000;283:3118-22 pubmed..Coercive interventions can be justified in only 3 cases: to avert a risk of serious harm to other persons, to protect the welfare of incompetent persons, and, most controversially, to prevent a risk to the person ..
- Caravaggio F, Brucato G, Kegeles L, Lehembre Shiah E, Arndt L, Colibazzi T, et al. Exploring the Relationship Between Body Mass Index and Positive Symptom Severity in Persons at Clinical High Risk for Psychosis. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2017;205:893-895 pubmed publisher..Although potentially underpowered, these preliminary findings provide initial steps in elucidating the relationships between metabolic health, neurochemistry, and symptom severity in CHR patients...
- McArthur J, Moore F. The two cultures and the health care revolution. Commerce and professionalism in medical care. JAMA. 1997;277:985-9 pubmed..Some operational options for such a national council, its membership, and the conduct of its affairs are briefly outlined as a basis for further discussion. ..
- Kalula S, Ferreira M, Swingler G, Badri M, Sayer A. Methodological challenges in a study on falls in an older population of Cape Town, South Africa. Afr Health Sci. 2017;17:912-922 pubmed publisherFalls are a major cause of disability, morbidity and mortality in older persons, but have been under researched in developing countries.
- Jochemsen H. Dutch court decisions on nonvoluntary euthanasia critically reviewed. Issues Law Med. 1998;13:447-58 pubmed..Jochemsen fears that by extending the practice of euthanasia to infants with disabilities the Dutch courts have taken another step toward endangering the lives of all incompetent persons.
- Lin J, Paganini S, Sander L, Lüking M, Ebert D, Buhrman M, et al. An Internet-Based Intervention for Chronic Pain. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2017;114:681-688 pubmed publisherb>Persons with chronic pain can be treated effectively with acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT). In this trial, we examined the effectiveness of guided and unguided ACT-based online treatment (ACTonPain) for chronic pain patients.
- Callahan S. A feminist case against euthanasia. Women should be especially wary of arguments for "the freedom to die". Health Prog. 1996;77:21-9 pubmed..Wouldn't the acceptance of suicide and euthanasia make it even more acceptable for people to check out of all kinds of uncomfortable situations--marriages or life? ..
- Kalani A, Bami H, Tiboni M, Jaeschke R, Adachi J, Lau A. The effect of bariatric surgery on serum 25-OH vitamin D levels: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Sci Pract. 2017;3:319-332 pubmed publisher..This review explores changes in metabolic bone health in persons with obesity undergoing gastric bypass surgery compared to non-surgical controls, providing an updated and ..
- Malloy Weir L, Kirk A. Development and pilot testing of a decision aid for the initiation of antipsychotic medications in persons with dementia in long-term care using a systematic approach: a study protocol. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e018769 pubmed publisher..The goals of the decision aid are to help residents and caregivers (1) better understand the risks and benefits of antipsychotic medications in long-term care, and (2) make informed decisions about their use (or non-use)...
- de Rossi Figueiredo D, Paes L, Warmling A, Erdmann A, de Mello A. Multidimensional measures validated for home health needs of older persons: A systematic review. Int J Nurs Stud. 2018;77:130-137 pubmed publisher..review of the literature on valid and reliable multidimensional instruments to assess home health needs of older persons. Systematic review...
- Walshaw E, Ireland A. How practices can facilitate access for the gypsy traveller community. Br Dent J. 2017;223:607-609 pubmed publisher..The term 'traveller' or 'gypsy' refers to 'persons who wander or travel for the purpose of making or seeking their livelihood (not persons who move from place to ..
- Dorjee K, Baxi S, Reingold A, Hubbard A. Risk of cardiovascular events from current, recent, and cumulative exposure to abacavir among persons living with HIV who were receiving antiretroviral therapy in the United States: a cohort study. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:708 pubmed publisher..Current, recent, and cumulative use of abacavir was associated with an increased risk of CVDe. The findings were consistent irrespective of underlying cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Seyoum D, Speybroeck N, Duchateau L, Brandt P, Rosas Aguirre A. Long-Lasting Insecticide Net Ownership, Access and Use in Southwest Ethiopia: A Community-Based Cross-Sectional Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..9% (95% CI: 65.6, 71.9) had enough LLINs to cover all family members (with â‰¥one LLIN for every two persons). While 75.3% (95% CI: 68.4, 83.0) of the population was estimated to have accessed to LLINs, only 63...
- Daugherty C. Impact of therapeutic research on informed consent and the ethics of clinical trials: a medical oncology perspective. J Clin Oncol. 1999;17:1601-17 pubmed
- Hao X, Talati A, Shankman S, Liu J, Kaiser J, Tenke C, et al. Stability of Cortical Thinning in Persons at Increased Familial Risk for Major Depressive Disorder Across 8 Years. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2017;2:619-625 pubmed publisher..We now test stability of the cortical thinning across 8 years, and whether thinning mediates associations between familial risk and depressive traits...
- Bousquet J, Onorato G, Bachert C, Barbolini M, Bedbrook A, Bjermer L, et al. CHRODIS criteria applied to the MASK (MACVIA-ARIA Sentinel NetworK) Good Practice in allergic rhinitis: a SUNFRAIL report. Clin Transl Allergy. 2017;7:37 pubmed publisher..SUNFRAIL (Reference Sites Network for Prevention and Care of Frailty and Chronic Conditions in community dwelling persons of EU Countries), a European Union project, assessed whether MASK is in line with the 28 items of JA-CHRODIS...
- French A, Martin J, Evans C, Peters M, Kessaye S, Nowicki M, et al. Macrophage Activation and the Tumor Necrosis Factor Cascade in Hepatitis C Disease Progression Among HIV-Infected Women Participating in the Women's Interagency HIV Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;76:438-444 pubmed publisherHIV/hepatitis C-coinfected persons experience more rapid liver disease progression than hepatitis C virus (HCV) monoinfected persons, even in the setting of potent antiretroviral therapy.