Genomes and Genes
Summary: A family of ubiquitously-expressed peroxidases that play a role in the reduction of a broad spectrum of PEROXIDES like HYDROGEN PEROXIDE; LIPID PEROXIDES and peroxinitrite. They are found in a wide range of organisms, such as BACTERIA; PLANTS; and MAMMALS. The enzyme requires the presence of a thiol-containing intermediate such as THIOREDOXIN as a reducing cofactor.
- Jeon H, Park Y, Cho D, Kim J, Kim E, Chae H, et al. Peroxiredoxins are required for spindle assembly, chromosome organization, and polarization in mouse oocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;489:193-199 pubmed publisherb>Peroxiredoxins (Prxs) are highly conserved antioxidant enzymes and are implicated in multiple biological processes; however, their function in oocyte meiosis has not been studied...
- Shichita T, Ito M, Morita R, Komai K, Noguchi Y, Ooboshi H, et al. MAFB prevents excess inflammation after ischemic stroke by accelerating clearance of damage signals through MSR1. Nat Med. 2017;23:723-732 pubmed publisher..In this study, we demonstrate that common DAMPs, such as high-mobility-group box 1 (HMGB1), peroxiredoxins (PRXs), and S100A8 and S100A9, were internalized through the class A scavenger receptors MSR1 and MARCO in ..
- Ishii T, Itoh K, Takahashi S, Sato H, Yanagawa T, Katoh Y, et al. Transcription factor Nrf2 coordinately regulates a group of oxidative stress-inducible genes in macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:16023-9 pubmed..Several stress agents induced the DNA binding activity of Nrf2 in the nucleus without increasing its mRNA level. Thus Nrf2 regulates a wide-ranging metabolic response to oxidative stress. ..
- Banerjee M, Chakravarty D, Ballal A. Redox-dependent chaperone/peroxidase function of 2-Cys-Prx from the cyanobacterium Anabaena PCC7120: role in oxidative stress tolerance. BMC Plant Biol. 2015;15:60 pubmed publisher..nitrogen-fixing cyanobacterium Anabaena PCC7120 harbours a single gene (alr4641) encoding a typical 2-Cys-Peroxiredoxins (2-Cys-Prxs)...
- Rhee S, Kil I. Multiple Functions and Regulation of Mammalian Peroxiredoxins. Annu Rev Biochem. 2017;86:749-775 pubmed publisherb>Peroxiredoxins (Prxs) constitute a major family of peroxidases, with mammalian cells expressing six Prx isoforms (PrxI to PrxVI)...
- Kumar A, Nartey W, Shin J, Manimekalai M, Gruber G. Structural and mechanistic insights into Mycothiol Disulphide Reductase and the Mycoredoxin-1-alkylhydroperoxide reductase E assembly of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017;1861:2354-2366 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis. ..
- Heym B, Stavropoulos E, Honore N, Domenech P, Saint Joanis B, Wilson T, et al. Effects of overexpression of the alkyl hydroperoxide reductase AhpC on the virulence and isoniazid resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Infect Immun. 1997;65:1395-401 pubmed
- Lee S, Jeong H, Lee J, Chung J, Kim R, Yun H, et al. Characterisation of conformational and functional features of alkyl hydroperoxide reductase E-like protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;489:217-222 pubmed publisher..Based on our results, we provided that TkAhpE is a multifunctional peroxidase displaying structure-dependent molecular chaperone and DNA binding activities. ..
- Slade L, Chalker J, Kuksal N, Young A, Gardiner D, Mailloux R. Examination of the superoxide/hydrogen peroxide forming and quenching potential of mouse liver mitochondria. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017;1861:1960-1969 pubmed publisher..We also confirm that catalase plays a role in quenching either exogenous or intramitochondrial H2O2. ..
- Fereig R, Kuroda Y, Terkawi M, Mahmoud M, Nishikawa Y. Immunization with Toxoplasma gondii peroxiredoxin 1 induces protective immunity against toxoplasmosis in mice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176324 pubmed publisher..gondii infection. Thus, our results suggest that TgPrx1 efficiently induces humoral and cellular immune responses and is useful as a new vaccine antigen against toxoplasmosis. ..
- Ahn H, Yoo J, Lee S, Lee H, Lee H, Lee D. Peroxiredoxin 5 promotes the epithelial-mesenchymal transition in colon cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;487:580-586 pubmed publisher..Therefore, PRX5 can be used as a predictive biomarker and serves as a putative therapeutic target for the development of clinical treatments for human CRC. ..
- Carvalho L, Truzzi D, Fallani T, Alves S, Toledo J, Augusto O, et al. Urate hydroperoxide oxidizes human peroxiredoxin 1 and peroxiredoxin 2. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:8705-8715 pubmed publisher..glutathione and sulfur-containing amino acids and is expected to react fast toward reactive thiols from peroxiredoxins (Prxs)...
- Liao J, Wang K, Yao W, Yi X, Yan H, Chen M, et al. Cloning, expression and antioxidant activity of a thioredoxin peroxidase from Branchiostoma belcheri tsingtaunese. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175162 pubmed publisherb>Peroxiredoxins (Prxs) are ubiquitous antioxidant enzymes that catalyze the thioredoxin- dependent reduction of hydroperoxides...
- Sperandio M, Demasi A, Martinez E, Saad S, Pericole F, Vieira K, et al. 15d-PGJ2 as an endoplasmic reticulum stress manipulator in multiple myeloma in vitro and in vivo. Exp Mol Pathol. 2017;102:434-445 pubmed publisher..Oxidized glutathione levels were also increased. 15d-PGJ2 at 4mg/kg in vivo halted tumour growth. In conclusion, 15d-PGJ2 induced myeloma cell death via ER stress in vitro. 15d-PGJ2 in vivo also inhibited tumour growth. ..
- Shi G, Zhou W, Li M, Ren F, Han Y. Characterization and Expression Analysis of Peroxiredoxin Genes in NNK-induced V79 Cells. Biomed Environ Sci. 2017;30:224-228 pubmed publisher..42-fold relative to that of the control. NNK induced alterations in Prx expression over the course of lung cancer, which means Prxs may play important roles in ROS detoxification under NNK stress and their functions are complementary...
- Kim K, Kim I, Lee K, Rhee S, Stadtman E. The isolation and purification of a specific "protector" protein which inhibits enzyme inactivation by a thiol/Fe(III)/O2 mixed-function oxidation system. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:4704-11 pubmed..Since the protection activity reported herein is specific for mixed-function oxidation systems containing thiols, we propose that the protector protein functions as a sulfur radical scavenger. ..
- Boronat S, Domènech A, Carmona M, García Santamarina S, Bañó M, Ayte J, et al. Lack of a peroxiredoxin suppresses the lethality of cells devoid of electron donors by channelling electrons to oxidized ribonucleotide reductase. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006858 pubmed publisher..intramolecular disulfide bond formation as part of their catalytic cycles such as the peroxide scavengers peroxiredoxins or the enzyme ribonucleotide reductase (RNR)...
- Kang D, Lee D, Lee S, Lee S, Jun Y, Kim Y, et al. Interaction of tankyrase and peroxiredoxin II is indispensable for the survival of colorectal cancer cells. Nat Commun. 2017;8:40 pubmed publisher..Here the authors show that in colorectal cancers with APC mutation, PrxII binds to tankyrase and prevents its oxidative inactivation, thereby preventing Axin1-dependent degradation of ²b-catenin. ..
- Voigt D, Scheidt U, Derfuss T, Bruck W, Junker A. Expression of the Antioxidative Enzyme Peroxiredoxin 2 in Multiple Sclerosis Lesions in Relation to Inflammation. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..As an important scavenging enzyme family, peroxiredoxins (PRDXs) play a crucial role in preventing oxidative damage; however little is known about their expression and ..